Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.42/5

Comfort Keepers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comfort Keepers?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comfort Keepers?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I don't often write reviews but Comfort Keepers is such an outstanding company and I must give credit where credit is due. They provided excellent care for me for several months when I was first released from the hospital and bed-ridden last year, and again this summer to give my sons a break for the summer. They also previously cared for my elderly Mom before she passed away. Comfort Keepers is a people oriented company, which are few and far between these days. All of their employees are cheerful, skilled, and conscientious accommodating. Hilary and Jordan have been so very helpful and accommodating to both my sons and myself this summer.

Comfort Keepers response

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased to hear about your positive experience and honored to have the privilege to provide care for you and your mother. At Comfort Keepers our mission is to provide compassionate, quality in-home care that elevates the human spirit.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I applied for job and the team members were friendly and caring during orientation. I loved how professional they were. Big up team! I was greeted with a smile, the environment was very clean. During orientation I got a clear understanding of how the company operates. I had a great day today. Thanks again team.

Comfort Keepers response

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased to hear about your positive experience! Our Caregivers are the heart of who we are and we strive to make Comfort Keepers a rewarding and positive place to work.

Get buying tips about Home Care Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

This is my second time using Comfort Keepers and I am fairly pleased with the service. Our current caregiver has been with us for approximately one year and has not missed a day of work. In the beginning, I felt that he was only doing the bare minimum to help my husband who has Alzheimer's in his daily routine. However, once I spoke with the office manager and she addressed this with our CG, things seemed to smooth out. I would use Comfort Keepers again should the need arise.

Comfort Keepers response

Thank you for taking the time to review our services. We are grateful to have the opportunity to provide care for your husband. At Comfort Keepers, we are committed to employing staff who prioritize the needs of our clients and provide the best possible care.

Original review: June 24, 2020

My brother and I had an in home consultation with a representative from Rochester Hills. She seemed professional and eager to set our mother up with some part time care. But once all the paperwork was signed and sent in, she dropped us. She never answered our phone calls or emails even after I contacted headquarters and inquired about the situation. I guess our business was not important to her or the company. I'm only glad that we never went any further with them. I would hate to leave my 88 year old mother in the hands of such an apathetic company.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

My brother and sister and I hired Comfort Keepers Tampa to provide a CNA to sit with my father 24/7 to assist the rehab center with his care. He was confused, suffered from dementia, and was very weak. On 2/7/2020 at 2am, 7 hours into her shift, (12 hour shift), the CNA from Comfort Keepers got frustrated with his care and left the premises and did not return. Comfort Keepers was aware that my father had no one at his bedside from the hours of 2am - 8am (when the next CNA arrived for her shift). At no time were we notified by Comfort Keepers that this had occurred, we learned of this from the rehab center at 8am the next morning. We have subsequently filed a complaint with Florida Dept. of Health against the CNA who abandoned my father during a very difficult and dangerous time. In NO way would I recommend Comfort Keepers to anyone!

Comfort Keepers response

We were very disturbed to learn about the situation with your father. The safety and well-being of our clients is our highest priority and we always strive to provide our clients with high quality care. We are sorry that we did not deliver on our promise. Please know that we are taking your concerns seriously and are looking into the details of the situation. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at matt@cktampa.com.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Overall, I am very disappointed with Comfort Keepers. Of course, round-the clock care is expensive, but the bill is over $27,000/month for what pretty much amounts to glorified babysitting. In this situation, perhaps the demands from the patient aren't as much as they are in some cases (he is mobile and can shower and use the bathroom by himself), but he still cannot be alone because he cannot prepare food, use his oxygen tanks or take his medication without someone pretty much doing it for him. Since the demands are pretty low, it would seem like the caregivers would offer to pitch in and do a few things around the house or with him, but, in general, they don't. There are a few caregivers that are industrious, but the great majority of them sit and play on their phones for their entire shifts. It's hard to watch that minimal level of effort knowing what the monthly bill is.

The Comfort Keepers website talks about how they work to help dementia patients, but the caregivers don't engage and stimulate his brain at all. They don't really seem like they are concerned with his condition and how they can help him improve...they just want to get through their shift doing as little as possible and go home. Another thing I have trouble with is the fact that although we were told that all caregivers are background checked, in conversations two of them have revealed that they are recovering drug addicts. I'm glad they have been able to turn their lives around, and I would certainly want someone in recovery to be able to find gainful employment, but it doesn't seem like a job where the primary responsibility is distributing medications would be the best fit for recovering addicts.

In general, I feel that the caregivers could do a lot more and be a little proactive instead of spending their entire shifts on their phones when there are plenty of things that could be done both around the house and with their client to improve his quality of life. I really expected more. Very disappointed with this Vancouver, Wa one owned by Kelly Leveque.

Comfort Keepers response

I was very surprised and saddened to read this review.

We listen to our clients and their families, and I want to address the reviewer’s opinions openly and clearly. We DO thorough background checks on every single one of our employees, as well as drug testing; without exception. Also, our caregivers are trained and take workshops and continuing education in all aspects of caregiving.

I welcome the opportunity to discuss further. Please contact our Vancouver, WA office and ask for Kelly.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I went into care with my WWII Veteran, 94 year old dad naive. Their marketing is very strong. However, not all workers sent out are qualified. Some didn't even have oxygen precaution safety. Some fell asleep. One guy didn't know how to change sheets!! Suggestions: Install cameras and post video is running and notify health agency to disclose to workers. We have three people in our family that go in and check how things are going. Watch your billing. They ran workers overtime and charged us for that. They keep taking on new clients and they do not always have enough qualified employees. You will pay double for holidays, but, I agreed to that. Don't make the same mistake I did; Put everything in writing. Do not depend on verbal communication. I have excellent workers now. Unfortunately, they still are paid low.

To make a living wage some work 70-80 hours. This leads to high turnover. And, that kind of practice does not encourage high standards of patient safety. This is a highly unregulated business in SC. Don't forget that this is a for profit organization. Plus, the administration may not even have a healthcare background! Locally, they employed one nurse. Sometimes she was available, sometimes not. See if your loved one qualifies for home health, palliative care or hospice services, so you will have access to nursing support. However, out of 4 companies that we tried, they were the best. Elite was the worse. But, you have to stay on top of things. Lock anything important up. We removed jewelry. Med box, important papers are in a room with heavy combination lock. Know your state law.

In SC, even CNA's are not regulated by Nursing or LLR. Healthcare workers are not fingerprinted, as in some states. There isn't a National DataBase. Unless a felony was committed with conviction, it will not turn up on SLED. I started doing my own background research. You pay a small fee, but you learn a lot. One cna had to appear before local magistrate 2 times for debt problems, another was autistic that affected his critical thinking. Remember, the infirmed or elderly are a vulnerable patient population. You are their advocate!

Original review: July 1, 2019

This company required an automatic payment to provide CNA services for my aunt. Upon cancellation of the service after a few short months for inadequate and inconsistent care, they billed us for the use of a Grand Pad AFTER they picked it up for 2 consecutive weeks. This resulted in my Aunt's account being overdrawn $1,250. When we called them to fix the error the first time, they apologized and stated a refund would be issued. Not only did they NOT refund her, they took out an additional amount the following week as well for the Grand Pad once again. When we called them on Friday mid-day we were informed the billing department and managers went home early as they always do on Fridays.

On Monday they said a refund check would be issued and sent. Then, a check shows up the same day that was dated THURSDAY the week before. Yes, they overdrew her account, knew they did it 2x, lied about refunding her the first time, and sent a check when they discovered the error on their own. Any company with any level of common sense or customer care would have picked up the phone to inform their client what happened. They didn't because they obviously don't care. You would be better off taking your business elsewhere.

Original review: July 1, 2019

The good: The Comfort Keepers caregivers assigned to our elderly mother were excellent - compassionate and hard working. The not so good: Comfort Keepers insisted on access to our credit card before they would proceed. It wasn't long before our card was charged for a service not provided. When we refused to pay this charge, and would not permit them further access to our card, they declined to provide any more service. Very poor business practice in my opinion.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My mother hired Comfort Keepers for some help around the house. The first aide insisted that all laundry needed hot water and bleach even after being told no. She ruined two loads of laundry before being replaced. The second told my mother that the utensils in the kitchen were not stored in the correct order and that she had fixed it. The third stole credit cards and went on a shopping spree. She was arrested and I found out she had a record and outstanding warrants. The fourth quit because I wouldn't let her put pizza boxes in the recycle bin. The town specifically forbids them. Why my mother put up with more than one is a mystery. I would recommend not using this service.

Comfort Keepers author review by Shelley Webb

With more than 700 worldwide franchise offices, Comfort Keepers is an industry leader in home health services.

• Understand your care needs: Use their simple online guide to determine the type and scope of care you might need for yourself or a loved one.

• Emergency response monitoring: For those who only need a person on hand in case of emergencies, remote monitoring might be an inexpensive alternative.

• Respite care: Being a primary caregiver can take a lot of time, leaving little time left over for errands or relaxing. Respite care allows you to take a break, secure in knowing your loved one is still receiving the care they need.

• Find a provider, fast: Sometimes, when you need home health services, you need them yesterday. Comfort Keepers has a network of local providers you can search through to find someone within minutes.

• Dementia care: Seniors with neurological conditions have very specific care needs and require constant supervision. Find trained personnel who can allow your loved one to stay at home for as long as possible.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Comfort Keepers Company Information

1997
      CK Franchising, Inc. 6640 Poe Ave.
      Dayton