Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.54/5

Need a medical alert system?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Need a medical alert system?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Comfort Keepers Reviews

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I don't often write reviews but Comfort Keepers is such an outstanding company and I must give credit where credit is due. They provided excellent care for me for several months when I was first released from the hospital and bed-ridden last year, and again this summer to give my sons a break for the summer. They also previously cared for my elderly Mom before she passed away. Comfort Keepers is a people oriented company, which are few and far between these days. All of their employees are cheerful, skilled, and conscientious accommodating. Hilary and Jordan have been so very helpful and accommodating to both my sons and myself this summer.

Comfort Keepers response

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased to hear about your positive experience and honored to have the privilege to provide care for you and your mother. At Comfort Keepers our mission is to provide compassionate, quality in-home care that elevates the human spirit.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I applied for job and the team members were friendly and caring during orientation. I loved how professional they were. Big up team! I was greeted with a smile, the environment was very clean. During orientation I got a clear understanding of how the company operates. I had a great day today. Thanks again team.

Comfort Keepers response

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased to hear about your positive experience! Our Caregivers are the heart of who we are and we strive to make Comfort Keepers a rewarding and positive place to work.

Get expert buying tips about Home Care Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

This is my second time using Comfort Keepers and I am fairly pleased with the service. Our current caregiver has been with us for approximately one year and has not missed a day of work. In the beginning, I felt that he was only doing the bare minimum to help my husband who has Alzheimer's in his daily routine. However, once I spoke with the office manager and she addressed this with our CG, things seemed to smooth out. I would use Comfort Keepers again should the need arise.

Comfort Keepers response

Thank you for taking the time to review our services. We are grateful to have the opportunity to provide care for your husband. At Comfort Keepers, we are committed to employing staff who prioritize the needs of our clients and provide the best possible care.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I went into care with my WWII Veteran, 94 year old dad naive. Their marketing is very strong. However, not all workers sent out are qualified. Some didn't even have oxygen precaution safety. Some fell asleep. One guy didn't know how to change sheets!! Suggestions: Install cameras and post video is running and notify health agency to disclose to workers. We have three people in our family that go in and check how things are going. Watch your billing. They ran workers overtime and charged us for that. They keep taking on new clients and they do not always have enough qualified employees. You will pay double for holidays, but, I agreed to that. Don't make the same mistake I did; Put everything in writing. Do not depend on verbal communication. I have excellent workers now. Unfortunately, they still are paid low.

To make a living wage some work 70-80 hours. This leads to high turnover. And, that kind of practice does not encourage high standards of patient safety. This is a highly unregulated business in SC. Don't forget that this is a for profit organization. Plus, the administration may not even have a healthcare background! Locally, they employed one nurse. Sometimes she was available, sometimes not. See if your loved one qualifies for home health, palliative care or hospice services, so you will have access to nursing support. However, out of 4 companies that we tried, they were the best. Elite was the worse. But, you have to stay on top of things. Lock anything important up. We removed jewelry. Med box, important papers are in a room with heavy combination lock. Know your state law.

In SC, even CNA's are not regulated by Nursing or LLR. Healthcare workers are not fingerprinted, as in some states. There isn't a National DataBase. Unless a felony was committed with conviction, it will not turn up on SLED. I started doing my own background research. You pay a small fee, but you learn a lot. One cna had to appear before local magistrate 2 times for debt problems, another was autistic that affected his critical thinking. Remember, the infirmed or elderly are a vulnerable patient population. You are their advocate!

Original review: July 1, 2019

This company required an automatic payment to provide CNA services for my aunt. Upon cancellation of the service after a few short months for inadequate and inconsistent care, they billed us for the use of a Grand Pad AFTER they picked it up for 2 consecutive weeks. This resulted in my Aunt's account being overdrawn $1,250. When we called them to fix the error the first time, they apologized and stated a refund would be issued. Not only did they NOT refund her, they took out an additional amount the following week as well for the Grand Pad once again. When we called them on Friday mid-day we were informed the billing department and managers went home early as they always do on Fridays.

On Monday they said a refund check would be issued and sent. Then, a check shows up the same day that was dated THURSDAY the week before. Yes, they overdrew her account, knew they did it 2x, lied about refunding her the first time, and sent a check when they discovered the error on their own. Any company with any level of common sense or customer care would have picked up the phone to inform their client what happened. They didn't because they obviously don't care. You would be better off taking your business elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comfort Keepers?

Original review: July 1, 2019

The good: The Comfort Keepers caregivers assigned to our elderly mother were excellent - compassionate and hard working. The not so good: Comfort Keepers insisted on access to our credit card before they would proceed. It wasn't long before our card was charged for a service not provided. When we refused to pay this charge, and would not permit them further access to our card, they declined to provide any more service. Very poor business practice in my opinion.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My mother hired Comfort Keepers for some help around the house. The first aide insisted that all laundry needed hot water and bleach even after being told no. She ruined two loads of laundry before being replaced. The second told my mother that the utensils in the kitchen were not stored in the correct order and that she had fixed it. The third stole credit cards and went on a shopping spree. She was arrested and I found out she had a record and outstanding warrants. The fourth quit because I wouldn't let her put pizza boxes in the recycle bin. The town specifically forbids them. Why my mother put up with more than one is a mystery. I would recommend not using this service.

Resolution response: June 19, 2019

A check has been issued to resolve this matter.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I received a letter from the IRS stating I didn't supply them with a W2 they received on my behalf. I had no idea what they were talking about until I finally tracked down, through info the IRS gave me, a business name of SDX f.n.a Comfort Keepers. I called the number and was told there was a class action lawsuit that had been settled and payments were made to employees whom had worked for Comfort Keepers during a specified time. That was the first I had heard of any lawsuit and had no idea as to what it was about.

The person I spoke with said checks had been issued to everyone as far as she knew. I told her I never received a check from them but the IRS said they received a W2 saying I did. I said if I'm going to pay tax on something, I would at least like to receive the money! She passed me on to "Stacy" in payroll and Stacy said she could not find any record that I had been paid anything last year from SDX. She said she would research it and get back to me. That was a month ago and now her voicemail is full and cannot accept any more calls. If they are not going to pay me they need to amend/withdraw the W2 to reflect any money they claim I received from them. I'm curious if anyone else is aware of this problem and/or advice as to how to proceed.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Short version: Some of the caregivers were great, but many others were unprofessional, late or did not show up for their shift, unsafe for both my father and themselves, unable to provide the needed and promised care, one caregiver told me unless I wanted to pay him privately he would leave and then quit two days later without giving Comfort Keepers notice ahead of time, and after I ended the service with Comfort Keepers and moved my dad into a nursing home I noticed that some of the hospice drugs (**) were missing from the fridge and when I notified the RN case manager she never replied.

Longer version: My elderly father who has dementia was placed on hospice and brought home from the hospital with Comfort Keepers during the spring/summer of 2018. Prior to his discharge I met with the RN case manager and she assured me that Comfort Keepers would be able to provide the necessary care.

The first night he was home the caregiver had a physical disability that meant she could not change my dad's diaper leaving me to do it. The next weekend the caregiver that was there had to be prompted to everything. When left alone she simply wanted TV and talked on her phone. I noticed that neither this caregiver nor the one at night time was writing anything down in their report binder and notified the RN case manager RN, shortly after this everything was back charted. I did not feel safe leaving my dad alone for more than a couple hours at a time. There were other times when I was at work and a caregiver called asking me where the next shift's caregiver was. I would then have to call the RN case manager myself.

Eventually we decided to try the 24 live in caregiver and interviewed a few people. We decided on a man who preferred to work 6 out of 7 days and another man who would work the 7th. Things went well for a couple of weeks until I randomly received a call from the main caregiver asking me to pay him privately at a slightly cheaper (but uninsured) rate because he had found a job that paid him better/had benefits and was going to take that unless we could pay him privately. Two days later I received a call from Comfort Keepers saying he quit and they were working on finding a new caregiver.

Immediately after this I decided to move my dad into an assisted living memory care unit at a nearby nursing home because the situation with Comfort Keepers was unsafe and very inconsistent. After I moved my dad I noticed that his ** from hospice was missing from the fridge. I notified the RN case manager and she never responded. A few weeks later I also noticed that my mom's KitchenAid mixer was missing from a cabinet.

Ultimately if your loved one is with it and able to advocate for themselves or you can be there almost the whole time and just need some extra help this service may work. There were some caregivers who were great and others that would have been good companions for more able bodied clients. But after my experience I would never recommend Comfort Keepers to a friend.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Hired them to take care of mother - employees were clueless as to provide adequate care, did not show up on time, went outside many times to smoke (this on Google Maps camera) cigs, stole money from home and watch my TV all day. When we disputed bill they sent court papers to wrong address so we never received them and could not defend in court. This is an awful company - do not use them - stay clear!

Not sure about Comfort Keepers?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Home Care Services for you.

Comfort Keepers expert review by Shelley Webb

With more than 700 worldwide franchise offices, Comfort Keepers is an industry leader in home health services.

• Understand your care needs: Use their simple online guide to determine the type and scope of care you might need for yourself or a loved one.

• Emergency response monitoring: For those who only need a person on hand in case of emergencies, remote monitoring might be an inexpensive alternative.

• Respite care: Being a primary caregiver can take a lot of time, leaving little time left over for errands or relaxing. Respite care allows you to take a break, secure in knowing your loved one is still receiving the care they need.

• Find a provider, fast: Sometimes, when you need home health services, you need them yesterday. Comfort Keepers has a network of local providers you can search through to find someone within minutes.

• Dementia care: Seniors with neurological conditions have very specific care needs and require constant supervision. Find trained personnel who can allow your loved one to stay at home for as long as possible.

• Best for: Primary caregivers, elderly individuals, persons with dementia, persons with a disability, accident victims and terminal patients.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Comfort Keepers Company Information

1997
      CK Franchising, Inc. 6640 Poe Ave.
      Dayton