3.9/5 (133 ratings)

About Comfort Keepers

Comfort Keepers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comfort Keepers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comfort Keepers?

Original review: April 11, 2022

My friend was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer in May of 2021. The point came when she needed part-time care at home which progressed to 24-7 care. I contracted with the Comfort Keepers Greenfield WI location for the part-time care and extended the contract when the need for 24-7 care was evident. While the part-time care was adequate, they are ill prepared to meet the demands of full-time care. The care provided by two of the four staff was appalling. A person dying of cancer should be provided with compassionate care and not be ridiculed and left alone for two hours at a time. I know this happened because I installed surveillance cameras and the footage I viewed was at times shocking. I would steer clear of Comfort Keepers for any fulltime care needs. Contact me at ** if you would like to hear the full story.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

When notified comfort keepers that Caregiver did not show… They stated no one was scheduled! Family Not notified. Quadriplegic left unattended for hours. No food nor drinks!!! They showed no concern!!

Get buying tips about Home Care Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Caregiver did not show up... First time received notice by text 11:30 pm for next morning commitment... 2nd time no notice given at all that no one showing up.

Some caregivers sit and do nothing. I think that the commercials on tv give their employees the idea is that you comb their hair and help them pick a flower from their garden???

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Upon talking with their care coordinator in Michigan, she seemed so sure they had care options and they would coordinate everything and make it easy for those of us as the POA. They cannot get us in for an assessment for several weeks, I figured this must have been because they were busy. What I eventually learned in the few months that we were attempting to get care for my father, was that they cannot keep people on staff and they frequently lie to their customers. The first lie came directly from someone who is supposed to be providing care for my father. She would say she was at the farm when actually she was not. There were two different recordings that show she was not there when she was clocked in. I was then billed for additional hours which made me mad.

In addition, she lasted less than two weeks. Comfort Keepers did not remove the charges. It appears they continue charging the office of Veterans Affairs even when care wasn’t being received at our home. This also made me mad. The second caregiver was there for less than two weeks when she abruptly quit for personal reasons. After that they string us along for over a month saying they would get a new caregiver soon. In the meantime they continue charging the VA and we still had no caregiver. They hired a third one just this past week, where for her first shift she did not show up. It is a pathetic company all around. Do not waste your time. They may tell you they will make it easier for you upfront but I assure you it will cause hassles on the back end.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

If you are reading this review I assume you are looking for assistance for a loved one. That being said I would HIGHLY DISCOURAGE you from using Comfort Keepers of Fort Myers. My father in law is 93 years old and suffers from early on set dementia. We were looking for an agency that would help us in the mornings. We needed someone to come each morning, get him up from bed, assist him in getting to the bathroom, change his night diaper and feed him. My husband and I trusted that the employees from Comfort Keepers would care for him as they would their own loved one. He only eats breakfast and dinner so it is crucial that he eats both meals. Instead they didn’t feed him for the 3 days!!! On the third day, he was so weak he fell. We found him on the floor of his apartment in pain, bruised from head to toe and unable to get up.

As you can imagine we were extremely upset. No one at Comfort Keepers seemed to care regardless of the numerous people we spoke with at the agency. Dawn, the general manager didn’t even call us until the following day. The night staff is on call for emergencies, I would certainly think this was an emergency! There was no ownership of their lack of care and nothing was put in place to prevent it from happening again. Since they were continuing to give us different caretakers each day, which is really difficult for someone with dementia, I wrote up instructions to help the caretaker to know how to best help our father. Yet employees continued to come out and neglect him.

One left him on the couch, put his breakfast on the table, and moved his walker across the room. When I arrived later that day, my father in law asked me to help him because he was “stuck”. He couldn’t get to the table to eat or get back to his bed because the couch was too low and he couldn’t reach his walker. As each incident happened we communicated with the office and nothing changed. The last straw was when I went during the scheduled time and the caretaker was laying on the couch appearing to be napping while my father in law was lying in his bed in his own urine because he had an accident and had no diaper on. She stated that he was napping. She had not even gotten him up to clean him up nor feed him. When I asked her if she read the notes I left, she said she didn’t see them.

Comfort Keepers assured me that they communicated with all of their employees about each of their clients and would put in their notes that instructions would be on the counter. When I asked her if she read the notes from Comfort Keepers about him she stated there were none. The whole situation makes me so sad. How can a company claim that they care so much but yet do so little for their clients that depend on them? Comfort Keepers of Fort Myers is there to collect a paycheck. My father in law is a veteran and the VA referred us to them. Shame on you Comfort Keepers of Fort Myers for treating the veterans of this country like they are insignificant and not worth your time.

Original review: June 16, 2021

My daughter went away for 5 days. She is the caretaker of her grandmother who is 100 years old. She had previously used Comfort Keepers and was ok with them. Well the girl that came did not give Mom-Mom her medicine for 4 days! She is now in the hospital! The girl also left 2 hours early and did not show up the next day and we were not notified. This is absolutely unacceptable! Never again!

Original review: May 15, 2021

My girlfriend of 12 years has early Dementia/Alzt... She is 62 and has become impaired to the point she needs care when I am at work. We have used Visiting Angels for the last few years and have whittled our way through any problems that arose. Recently we needed to find care from 6am to 4pm Mon-Tues and 6am - 9am Wed-Thurs-Fri. Visiting angels could not fill these hours and told us up front that they couldn't. Comfort Keepers however eagerly claimed they could fill the time slots. The first day they brought the caregiver to meet us I knew she was not a match but I kept my mouth shut to the rest of the family and thought to give it a chance.

In the first week the care giver Lisa called in sick 2 days and needed to be late on a third. The second week was the same story again. The company sent a total stranger on one day without telling us. I had to take time off from work at short notice to cover the care myself. Anyone who cares for a loved one with dementia knows that they need consistency and familiarity or else confusion reigns especially when they first wake up in the am. Not only that we found out the caregiver they scheduled for us had her own medical issues and they could not guarantee us that this would not be a problem moving forward.

It is unreal that a professional business could be run like this with such serious consequences on our side. They seemed more interested in defending the caregiver they sent than us the client. I must add that this caregiver also was way over opinionated and nosey. She had something to say about everything including the kind of food we ate... I would not recommend this outfit to anyone who has a loved one in need of care. What havoc this one woman and her company Comfort Keepers caused for us in less than 2 weeks time. We are back at square one looking to find a company that can be honest and not overly sensitive to feedback or criticism. Worst experience we have had with caregivers yet...I would never hire them knowing what I know now.

Original review: April 22, 2021

Our family has been working with Comfort Keepers for the past few years. When we first started receiving services from them the contact person was knowledgeable and communicated well if there were changes in staffing, concerns, etc. She addressed concerns we had with staff and wanted to know how they worked with my mother. However, after she left we have had to deal with so much incompetence in both the management and staff. They clearly have no idea of how to address concerns with staff and are not knowledgeable about people with dementia and what is in their best interest.

Their on call staff also are extremely irresponsible (I.e., not alerting the consumer/consumer’s family when a staff has called out or finding coverage for the person, leaving the possibility of the person in need being left alone.). Some staff consistently call out and instead of talking with the staff about the issue, they just move the staff person to another person in need. That doesn’t solve the problem. It just moves it from one place to another place. Clearly the upper management does not address the incompetence in their subordinates.

Original review: April 11, 2021

We've been dealing with Comfort Keepers for over 3 yrs now. There's been many times an agent has not shown up and they are often late. My relative is now in his end of life and the care level has increased. They need to send in help 4 times a day including one bedtime shift to assist my senior to bed. They've given us nothing but problems since the new shifts. Just last night they were over 2 hours late, only arriving at 10 pm for a very frail and elderly man who simply wanted to go to bed. It took over a dozen phone calls to their hotline and 2 hours to get them to do their jobs. The agent answering the phone was rude, and eventually stopped taking the calls without giving us any information as to what was happening and why they were not sending someone to help. I felt ready to explode with frustration at their lack of help and compassion. I would not recommend them at all and I truly think our seniors deserve better than this company.

Original review: March 20, 2021

Our household has immunocompromised residents and we clearly post this on our window. We dismissed our first caregiver as she did not consistently remained masked. When our adult daughter asked the second caregiver why she wasn't masked, she said that she was insulted and left. This woman's behavior was particularly unprofessional. This does not leave us with a positive impression of Comfort Keepers.

Comfort Keepers author review by Shelley Webb

With more than 700 worldwide franchise offices, Comfort Keepers is an industry leader in home health services.

• Understand your care needs: Use their simple online guide to determine the type and scope of care you might need for yourself or a loved one.

• Emergency response monitoring: For those who only need a person on hand in case of emergencies, remote monitoring might be an inexpensive alternative.

• Respite care: Being a primary caregiver can take a lot of time, leaving little time left over for errands or relaxing. Respite care allows you to take a break, secure in knowing your loved one is still receiving the care they need.

• Find a provider, fast: Sometimes, when you need home health services, you need them yesterday. Comfort Keepers has a network of local providers you can search through to find someone within minutes.

• Dementia care: Seniors with neurological conditions have very specific care needs and require constant supervision. Find trained personnel who can allow your loved one to stay at home for as long as possible.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Advisor

Shelley Webb is a certified geriatric care manager and retired registered nurse with over 30 years of experience in health care. She cared for her father in her home for more than four years, and she now writes about topics such as elder care and health to help others through similar situations. Shelley also operates Intentional Living, a lifestyle blog for women over 50. You can find her on Twitter as well.

Comfort Keepers Company Information

1997
    CK Franchising, Inc. 6640 Poe Ave.
    Dayton