2. Elder Care
  3. Home Care Services

3.7/5 (88 ratings)

About Visiting Angels

Visiting Angels specializes in comprehensive, customized in-home care that allows seniors to stay at home. With locations across the country, Visiting Angels provides a variety of services to support individuals living on their own.

Visiting Angels Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visiting Angels?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visiting Angels?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Our experience with Visiting Angels only lasted about a month. My grandparents’ health suddenly and began deteriorating at a rapid pace but they wanted to stay in their home as long as possible. Visiting Angels seemed like the perfect option to provide the extra help we needed so they could remain in their home. At first, things seemed to be working well. They were accommodating with the hours we needed and showed up when scheduled. My grandparents, who aren’t always the easiest people for strangers to deal with, both actually liked the worker (Jamie) and she communicated well with us as well.

A warning bell went off for me when Jamie told us she had found a total of $300 hidden in random places throughout the house. She said she wanted to tell us, knowing that various different people were in and out of the house, just in case any money went missing in the future. She said she found the different hiding spots while cleaning. I found that strange because prior to bringing Visiting Angels in, I was responsible for thoroughly cleaning their home each week. And I’m very thorough yet had only ever come across $20-40 laying around.

A few days later, when we were working with them on changing the schedule of when they would be coming, we were informed that Jamie’s was no longer going to be working there; she had something come up. We didn’t press for any other details, assuming it wasn’t our business, but later that week when we discovered $30,000 was gone, it seemed the likely culprit was in fact Jamie. Why my grandpa had that kind of cash stashed in a drawer in his bedroom, and why it hadn’t been moved to a safe, I don’t know.

We called Visiting Angels to tell them about the situation and they didn’t seem overly concerned about doing anything to rectify it. We also filed a police report and I have little faith that we’ll ever see a dime of that money back. It’s very disappointing to experience first-hand how someone could steal from people who are literally dying. And then to see that no one else seems to care.

We were still going to be using their services because we needed the care. But then a worker didn’t show up. After we called and left a message to figure out what was going on, we finally received a callback stating they would no longer work with us due to the money that had been stolen from us. I do have a very bitter taste in my mouth when it comes to Visiting Angels. The stolen money makes me sick to my stomach but that’s an issue the police are handling. We should never have had that in the house. But to then be denied care, services we were paying for, and be left in the lurch, when we were the victims, is mind boggling. To not be given any notice so we could find another company and make other arrangements, and to not be shown any compassion is sad. So my advice: lock up all valuables and invest in several hidden cameras so you can monitor what goes on when you’re not there.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Last year my father was diagnosed with dementia at a young age. It has gotten progressively worse to the point of my mom and I needing help with his care. He refused to let us bathe him or keep up with his self care for 3 months. This is when we called Visiting Angels. The Director (Rosemary **) of the Lehigh Valley, PA chapter came to our house to review my dad. We forewarned her about our loved one's deteriorating condition and she told us she would do what she can. We hired them to only come twice a week for 3 hours each visit. The caregiver Sarah showed up roughly 8 times before we stopped services. The reasons for stopping, which upset my mom and I:

1. She was always 5-10 minutes late and never apologized or stayed later (except once) to make up for the lost time.
2. Every visit she would not perform at her best and half the visits she would just sit with him and watch TV or do puzzles with him, make him lunch instead of actively trying to get him to bathe, change his clothes, buzz his beard etc. (WHICH IS THE SOLE REASON WE HIRED THEM)

3. I was always watching how she performed with my dad and she was sleeping on the couch once because I heard her snoring very loudly from the other room.

I let my mom know immediately what she had done and we stopped services because she broke the contract by sleeping on the job. This company makes you give them 10 days before you can cancel, so they wanted to charge my mom for the following week, even though we got rid of Sarah immediately. Rosemary was very unprofessional and rude on the phone with my mother when the incident first occurred. She told us we need to pay that money even though my mom said she broke the contract by sleeping. Then Rosemary preceded to ask if my dad really has dementia, which was very rude because he was professionally diagnosed.

Sarah claims to be knowledged in dementia patients, but when I told her the symptoms my dad was experiencing she couldn't believe it even though what my dad's experiencing is very common with dementia and seen in many medical journals. When Rosemay spoke to Sarah she lied about sleeping and claimed I praised her for the work she did with my dad (I never said a thank you even once to the woman because of her poor work ethic). All she was able to do was get him to brush his teeth during the weeks she was with him.

Very unprofessional company that does not apologize or believe the customers, but rather employees who can easily lie. My mother and I are very stressed out over the diagnosis of my dad. We would not bring more stress into our lives by lying about her sleeping. They claim Sarah is one of their best caregivers, so what other type of people are working for them if we had a bad experience with their best person???? Stay far far away!!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I could not have ask for a better care for my mother's last 6 months... They were there for me and loved my momma. She just loved the caregiver. Roanoke, VA has a wonderful system to help me when I needed them... I would hire them again if I needed a caregiver. In my opinion they are the best!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Appleton-Neenah-Menasha-Oshkosh, Wisconsin office disorganized. Caregivers not experienced, not licensed for home care. Appointments not kept, no-shows with no replacement. Bizarre and grossly incompetent.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I signed an agreement with Teri of Visiting Angels in Ravenna, Ohio this past Monday, October 2nd, 2018. She was pleasant and all smiles when she first came to my home to meet my 86 yr. old mother who lives with me and my husband. I explained to Teri that my mother cannot walk and needs help transferring from bed to bedside commode and transport chair. My mother, at this time, does not need a Hoyer lift. She just needs stability because her left knee tends to give out. I explained and showed Teri the way I help my mom.

I also told Teri our dishwasher was broken, so tell the aide not to use it. The aide started Tuesday the 2nd. She called me twice saying my TV does not work and my dryer doesn't work. I have no idea where she found laundry to do because there wasn't any in the morning. The remote and TV both worked. When I came home from work, my family room was rearranged!!! Even the plants!!! She found a large box of chux pads which I had hidden in a corner because my mother does not need them presently. She is not incontinent. My mother was wrapped in sheets which were for our bed. She rearranged some of my kitchen cupboards and counter and silverware drawer! I was frustrated and very angry! As well as my husband.

My mother was just very confused. The aide yelled at my mother when she found out she needed to help my mother get on the commode. When I confronted the aide she told me she was never informed of my mother's health. She said she rearranged things to make it easier for herself. I called Teri and she just played stupid. She said she didn't realize my mother couldn't walk! I was floored! I told Visiting Angels I no longer wanted their service. I believe they will tell you anything in the beginning to get you to sign with them. It's hard enough for the family when they have a parent who needs this care, but agencies like Visiting Angels make it compounded. I would not ever recommend Visiting Angels in Ravenna to anyone looking for In home care!!! Don't fall for the sing song spiel they give in the beginning!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Hired Visiting Angels of Pittsburgh to care for 90 y/o more who can't stand and only needed help moving from bed to wheelchair or bedside commode because she had hip replacement surgery. Caretakers were ** exchange students from local college most of whom had not been in USA for any length of time. No certifications or experience. Only asked to move mom with hoyer lift. We did everything else, even fed them steak for dinner. Some did not even know how to use hoyer lift. Most were very lazy and put mom on bedpan vs bedside commode.

They did not make any effort to engage my mom, who has dementia, in any activity, offer her anything to drink, ask her if she was hungry, read to her, or even talk to her. They preferred to park her in a room them go sit in another room. Some left her in her wheelchair from morning until bedtime not caring that she had a stage 2 decubitus on her tailbone. THEY DROPPED MY MOTHER TWICE RIGHT AFTER SHE HAD HIP REPLACEMENT SURGERY!!! They quit abruptly giving us 48 hours. The kids were complaining the my mom was too much work since she needed the hoyer lift.

The head of the agency Sharon told me I needed to get rid of a beautiful female buddha statue that my mother got 60 years ago when she lived in Japan. Sharon stated it was an idol and should not be in their home!!! I was shocked she would tell a paying client what they should and shouldn't have in their home. Very unprofessional. Care plan was never followed and documentation was sporadic at best and some was even falsified. Some of the caretakers didn't even know there was a care plan to follow. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE! DO NOT HIRE THESE PEOPLE. I would give them zero stars if I could.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

This agency was hired to help my 90 y/o mother at home because she can't stand. All she needed was help being put on the bedpan or bedside commode. That's it! We did everything else for her. The agency sent mostly 20 y/o African exchange students from LaRoche College as her caretakers. Some only having been in the country for less than a year. NO CNAs in this agency. Most had no experience in this field and preferred to park my mom somewhere and go off to another room. No one ever read to her, talked to her, offered her anything to drink, or tried to engage her in any way. At night they rarely brushed her teeth or offered her a cloth to wash her face.

They dropped her twice: once out of the Hoyer lift and out of her wheelchair. One left my mom hanging in the Hoyer lift to go answer the door! As an RN I was appalled at the care she was given and the lack of documentation. They were supposed to check off things that were done in a notebook and some didn't even know the notebook existed. There was a care plan which nobody followed. Some of the documentation was falsified. They sent caretakers who had no idea how to use a Hoyer lift. The owner even told me to remove a beautiful female buddha that my mother got in Japan 60 years ago when she lived there because it was an idol that others worship!!!

They quit abruptly because the kids felt they were working too hard putting my mom on a Hoyer lift frequently even though that's the extent of what they did. They gave us 48 hours to find another agency. They had no understanding of how old people get neurogenic bladders that make them feel like they have to go frequently. They had us order a bedside commode lift and once they put her on the bedside commode she went tons of urine and stool. Please do not hire these people!!! They have minimal experience and do not care about your loved ones. None of the caretakers were certified!!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Do not use this company if your loved one needs to be moved. I found my mother sideways on the bed with her legs dangling off it. The caregiver was just sitting there. They do not know how to roll them over. They have no experience in the medical field. They give medication if prefilled for them, even if patient is comfortable and may not need it. I have to show them how to roll them onto a bedpan. They don’t understand how to not contaminate things. They don’t apply cream to decubs appropriately without contamination. They don’t communicate with family when asked to call if their condition gets worse. Had to teach how to empty a catheter bag. All they are good for is to give someone company.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I called this afternoon, highly upset at the company I am suppose to be interview with - Caring Heart Home Care. No shows. I call Lynn at Visiting Angels and explain to her that my availability has changed. Lynn is a very cold woman. She basically told me "I told all the caregiver, you have to work on weekends." After that she didn't say anything. The day of the interview, the owner pretended to be very professional, brought me into the office, is a very square and small office. Basically Lynn mock and ridicule me because she found me connected with so many different company.

I was really angry in reply "So!" I have never met a company that mock and ridicule a caregiver before. Miriam was very unprofessional too. She call me said that there is a client that needs assistant, but never mention the hour, the language all other detail. Turn out, she has already tell the client I'll go for only couple of hours and couple of days and the person is Japanese. I told her, she shouldn't of tell the client that I am going. Miriam got piss/angry, excuse me she said back with an attitude. I have not heard a good review about this company... Do NOT work for this company, very unprofessional...

Original review: July 7, 2018

Lexi of Visiting Angels Mosinee contracted with Inclusa. She agreed to provide services to me 7 hrs weekdays and 6 hrs Saturday and Sunday. It happened for a short time and then it changed to about 1.5 hrs a day 1.5 hrs Saturday and no one Sunday. She has hired a woman Katie to cover for her. She is a blatant liar. Case in point. I will call from a bar Two's Company in Mosinee. Looking at Lexi, and Katie says she just stepped out. She's never at the office. Yet she's always on vacation. One week in Florida then the next in Las Vegas. She is running the business into the ground. Her payroll checks are bouncing. Yet she drives a new Cadillac Escalade.

My worker cashed her check several weeks ago at Walmart. It bounced. Now Walmart wants my worker to make it good. Two weeks later she cashed her check at Check 'N Go. It bounced. Now they want my worker to make it good. I brought it up with Katie. She lies saying "Our checks don't bounce." "We have proof." "WE ARE SUBMITTING COMPLAINTS TO "WORK & WAGES." THEY WILL HIT HER HARD. I have told GT FINANCIAL TO AUDIT HER. SHE IS SCAMMING. Lexi is now trying to play the reason I am only getting 1.5 hrs of care is because I have alerted the corporate office. She is in breach=of=contract numerous times and I want to take it to court. No one will work for her because she treats than like dirt and then bounces payroll checks.

I INTEND TO TAKE MY STORY TO THE MEDIA. MAYBE ELLEN AND DR.PHIL. A LAWYER IS A DEFINITE. It would be wise to get rid of her before all people will seek help elsewhere for assistance. Two workers have come to my home to work. One has stolen about $40,000.00 in property and cash from a Connexus credit card. Another has stole about $1,399.00 cash and stole my Direct Express Social Security debit Mastercard $2,100.00.

Visiting Angels Company Information