2. Elder Care
  3. Home Care Services

3.8/5 (119 ratings)

About Home Instead Senior Care

Home Instead offers a range of in-home services for seniors. If you or a loved one needs occasional help around the house or 24/7 medical care, a local Home Instead agency can match you to a caretaker with the appropriate qualifications and the skillset for your needs.

Top Home Instead Senior Care Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

We needed help with my 99-year-old father and 90-year-old mother who wanted to stay in their home… The support they have given is excellent and my family couldn't be happier for o...

What is Home Instead?

Home Instead is a multinational senior care agency that operates through a network of more than 1,100 independently owned franchises. It offers services ranging from live-in care to end-of-life care. Most locations train caregivers to help clients with chronic and common diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, chronic COPD, depression, diabetes, arthritis and cancer. Transportation services, hygiene assistance, meal preparation and other care options are also available.

How does Home Instead work?

You can request an in-home consultation with a local representative to discuss care needs, service options, associated costs and payment details. Home Instead then pairs you with a personal caregiver who offers the selected services as your agreed-upon schedule directs. If your assigned caregiver is unavailable, the agency sends another caregiver from its network.

Home Instead FAQ

How much does Home Instead cost?
Home Instead costs vary based on your specific care needs and location. Your rate depends on the level of care provided. There might be a minimum visit length of two or three hours, determined by your local franchise operator. Some agencies may charge a reduced rate if supervision is required for a significant portion of the service time.
Does Home Instead accept Medicare?
Medicare typically does not cover in-home care services like Home Instead. However, a senior’s physician may order in-home care and prescribe a certified care plan, which Medicare is more likely to cover.
Does Home Instead accept Medicaid?
Medicaid sometimes pays for the type of in-home care Home Instead provides. However, Medicaid programs are different in each state, so eligibility and benefits vary.
Does Home Instead offer specialized care?
Yes, Home Instead offers a range of specialized care options. It trains caregivers to provide help for seniors with various common illnesses, including dementia and other memory impairments.
Are Home Instead caretakers registered nurses?
Some are. Your Home Instead caretaker will not necessarily be a registered nurse since skilled in-home nursing care is not required for all situations. However, if wound care, medication administration, rehabilitation or IV administration is required, Home Instead pairs clients with a registered nurse, licensed practical nurse or licensed vocational nurse.

Is Home Instead worth it?

Home Instead is a worthwhile option to consider. Caregivers are trained to take care of basic needs like housekeeping, cooking and grooming as well as more specialized medical issues, such as Alzheimer’s or dementia. In most states, 24/7 live-in care, rehabilitative services and end-of-life care are also available. However, since Home Instead locations are independently owned and operated, it’s smart to research your local franchise to understand costs and customer experiences.

Home Instead Senior Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Instead Senior Care?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I spent the day comforting my mom as she cried into the phone over the fact that this group of deplorable “health workers” abandoned her with no help and no notice because her house was not clean enough when they were supposed to be cleaning it! I watched myself as the last one didn’t even bother to fold the towels or take the trash out and my mom is paralyzed and in a wheelchair. They lied in their reasoning as a means to not get sued, showed up and walked in without knocking, frightened and embarrassed her. Their workers are not vaccinated and put my mom into danger each time they came over. I don’t normally write reviews but the world needs to be warned about these people. RUN from this company!!!

Original review: June 23, 2021

Being new to home care and caregivers I wasn't sure on what to expect as far as what the company promises and what the caregiver does exactly. I was drawn by the orientation they gave. Well they are not fully staffed for starters, all we got mostly was new employees, also a different one each day. That is bad for a person with dementia. They do not clean without a push start, they sat mostly and watched TV. All around bad experience for the time we used them.

Get buying tips about Home Care Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2021

If you want individualized care for your loved one do NOT choose the Home Instead franchise in Frankfort Ky. They do not train caregivers on individual clients and will not notify you of changes in caregiver schedules or even bother to call and ask if changes will work for your family. In addition, staff often doesn’t even show up for shifts potentially causing health, safety, welfare concerns. The agency is not concerned with their clients’ safety as a priority.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

Beware. When you sign a contract with Home Instead, you have to give a 2-week deposit and agree to giving a 2-week notice if discontinuing services. However, they terminated my parents contract with only a 3 1/2 day notice and over 40 days later, we are still waiting on them to return the deposit. Their caregivers could not handle my fathers Alzheimer's-related behaviors although they bragged about their experience with Alzheimer's patients.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

Worst experience of my life. Billed for days I was hospitalized? Called at 9pm to tell me they did not have anyone to stay. Shifts not covered. Went to the bank. They initiated a fraud claim. Willy is a snake. Took money out of my account for services not provided. When I tried to cancel because family was going to assist Debbie would not let me cancel. Got text messages saying caregiver was busy putting up Christmas tree. She told me, "I’m not coming tomorrow either. I am going shopping." Does this sound like people you want to associate with, don’t think so. $1200 for two weeks robbery. The attorney general has opened a case.

Original review: June 21, 2020

Family member has hired 3 sitters. The first one was searching the house. The second stole and the current one borrowed money, talks on inappropriate topics, is constantly on her cell, borrows the car and constantly questioning about the family.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

We needed help with my 99 year old father and 90 year old mother who wanted to stay in their home, that had lived in since 1955. The nurse at St Mary hospital gave me three references and I chose Home Instead in Livonia MI. The people I initially asked for help were incredibly understanding and made the decision easy for me. Brittany has been wonderful and the caregivers Dawn and Tamiko are world class people and friends to my parents. The support they have given is excellent and my family couldn't be happier for ourselves and our parents. Thanks to the Home Instead team for making this transition a happy one! Mark

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

My husband is completely bedfast and we need people who can handle bathing, dressing, feeding among many other things. They must be able to use a Hoyer Lift. We have had many different people and they have all been very kind and considerate of us both.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Our caregiver is excellent. She is dependable and self motivated. She takes great care of my mom and helps with household chores. The company has been very cooperative with necessary scheduling changes. The service has been a wonderful much needed break for me as I also take care of my brother, a disabled veteran.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I went away for the weekend and hired home care for my ailing mother who had cancer and was bedbound. Saturday night the worker was scheduled but never showed up. Out of frustration and based on their complete lack of competence I cancelled Sunday’s home care visit. The home care worker showed up anyway but as it turns out she provided us with the wrong patient name (breech of personal information). Turns out she was at the wrong residence! Totally unreliable and very unprofessional!

Home Instead Senior Care Company Information