Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.50/5

Need a medical alert system?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Need a medical alert system?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Home Instead Senior Care Reviews

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

My husband is completely bedfast and we need people who can handle bathing, dressing, feeding among many other things. They must be able to use a Hoyer Lift. We have had many different people and they have all been very kind and considerate of us both.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Our caregiver is excellent. She is dependable and self motivated. She takes great care of my mom and helps with household chores. The company has been very cooperative with necessary scheduling changes. The service has been a wonderful much needed break for me as I also take care of my brother, a disabled veteran.

Get expert buying tips about Home Care Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2019

It is important to understand that the experience I describe here is related to one of Home Instead's many franchises. I have read negative reviews that have nothing to do with the Culver City franchise I used. In fact the home instead office that I dealt with was highly professional, courteous, and client-oriented. At our initial meeting they provided me with a list of qualities that I could expect from my caregivers. They made it very clear that I was to notify the office at any time that I felt I was not appropriately being cared for.

They emphasized the importance of training for all their caregivers. In fact, I was aware when my various caregivers were attending training sessions. Sometimes the training sessions have to do with things that I brought to the attention of the supervisors. For example, I have advanced Parkinson's disease. Many health professionals are not experienced with the various symptoms that come along with this disease. My home instead agency not only offered training sessions in dealing with Parkinson's patients, they also provided written information for my caregivers to use.

Because I had three shifts over 7 days a week, I had about six or seven different caregivers at any particular time. I think I understand the different skills that caregivers can have. I had many caregivers who had extensive training and experience. I had other caregivers whose strength was in providing companionship and understanding to a lonely client. Most of my caregivers had something special to offer. Were they all competent and fit for the job? Of course not. But home instead Culver City kept their promise to me. As soon as I notified them of a difficult situation, they handle it quite promptly. In some cases it merely required communicating with the caregiver. Sometimes it required replacing the caregiver. I think they used good professional judgment in these situations.

Were they perfect caregiving agency? No they were not. But they were aware of their areas that needed to be improved and I believe they were working on them constantly. For example, not all my caregivers had adequate experience in meal preparation. By the time I concluded my contract with them, they had instituted a sharing arrangement for caregivers to help one another. I parted ways with home instead Culver City because I was able to set up private home Care with live in caregivers. My advice to caregiving consumers is to be sure the reviews you read are directly related to the organization you'll be working with. Also, interview the staff, and ask to meet your potential caregivers in advance. Finally, be sure to let the organization know when your needs are being met and when they are not.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I went away for the weekend and hired home care for my ailing mother who had cancer and was bedbound. Saturday night the worker was scheduled but never showed up. Out of frustration and based on their complete lack of competence I cancelled Sunday’s home care visit. The home care worker showed up anyway but as it turns out she provided us with the wrong patient name (breech of personal information). Turns out she was at the wrong residence! Totally unreliable and very unprofessional!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

The caregivers were unreliable so we didn't feel confident that our loved one was in good hands. Staffing was on the ball about calling us about problems with our sitters personal problems but at times unable to provide a caregiver. The employees in the business office were rude. There was a two week billing period with approximately a 5 day time period for receiving the bill and returning payment or a $25 charge was required. Communication was poor between the Client Service Representative, the business office, and responsibilities of the caregivers care plan for our loved one. I read the client reviews on the Home Instead Senior Care website and found them very questionable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Instead Senior Care?

Original review: July 12, 2019

We used Home Instead in Oak Park, IL. I feel when we needed them the most they failed us. Most of the staff was ill equipped to handle my mother's needs as she deteriorated. She was bedridden and it took 3 people to change the soiled sheets and her, most of the caretakers had no idea what to do. As if that is not bad enough one of the caretakers decided to clean my mother up, exposing her private parts in front of family (her grandchildren) that were there visiting. I'm appalled that the caretaker would think that was acceptable in any way, shape or form. They also lack communication, as supplies were delivered from hospice boxes were stacked in a place that was not easily seen and never communicated that supplies had been delivered. If you love your family member I do not recommend them at all!

Original review: June 5, 2019

Since negative stars are not available, they get one. Totally negative on the high turnover staff. The RN's are combative and prone to slander. They treat workers and families horribly. If you want caregivers sleeping during the shift, and having basically no idea on proper care of your elder, this is the company for you. None of the home staff are licensed, and most are morons. Unfortunately, once they are in your life, its near impossible to get rid of due to attachment with the good ones. Near two years into this adventure leaves a bad taste.

Original review: June 4, 2019

They lasted two days as they dropped my loved one TWICE in 2 days. They also have questionable pricing as 2 twelve hour shifts is not considered 24 hrs in their pricing. They showed one shift as awake and the other resting but charged the higher rate for both. When questioned they told me they didn't have any 24 hour shifts. They are nothing but baby sitters.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I had just hired Home Instead Senior Care in Bel Air Maryland for my brother who needed care. Before hiring Home Instead Senior Care my first question was, "How would you know if your employee will be clocking in since their way of doing things does not involve clocking in on the customer phone." I was informed by Kim that Home Instead can see where they are at all times. So I hired them and they sent over a caregiver Laura and she apparently was clocking in on her phone then leaving the house then coming back to clock out at the end of her shift. She would do certain chores but then leave for the remainder of the required hours.

We caught her doing this when a nurse arrived at the house and asked where the caregiver was to my brother and he responded she left. Nurse contacted my sister and I was then contacted. I called my brother's cell phone and ask to speak with the nurse. I asked her, "What time did she arrive?" and she said she arrived at 12:30 and nobody meaning caregiver was there. The caregiver Laura was supposed to be there from 10 to 2.

I contacted Home Instead in Bel Air Maryland and spoke with Emily and she verified that Laura clocked in at 10 and is still there at the house and I informed her that that was not true because we have a nurse at the house and Laura is nowhere to be found. Then I contacted Laura by text and asked her to clock in and out using my brother's cell phone and my sister was there at the house waiting for her to come back if she was coming back and sure enough she drove up the driveway and then text me saying she's clocking out. My brother then informed me that she has been doing this ever since we hired her meaning leaving the house in between hours of clocking in and clocking out and we were billed recently of those days with full hours 10 to 2.

My sister and I managed to contact the bank on time to stop the automatic withdrawal of $786 however I did notice another charge of $186 that was withdrawn on March 8th and there is no invoice backup as to why we were charged this amount. I am requesting a full refund and in the process of finding a lawyer. Home Instead is a scam business and they are trying to take advantage of the disabled and seniors' inability to remember and use it against us. I am here to inform others to not use Home Instead because they are not in the business of caring for your loved one but out to get your money.

Also having the conversation with Emily of Home Instead it didn't sound like she was surprised. In fact she was even defending the employee by saying that she had an emergency and that her daughter was out of gas and needed help. I just drew from that conclusion that they had previously been doing this before and knew all about how their employees work and they don't care about it. My advice. PLEASE DON'T LET Home Instead CARE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM AND IT'S ALL ABOUT MAKING A BUCK. NO COMPASSION. NO TRUST.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Home Instead lies about everything, from background of caregivers, to age and experience. They will say a caregiver has worked for them for a long time and then when the caregiver shows up she says it is her first day to work for Home Instead. Age is misrepresented and caregivers are up to many, many years older than patients are told and they don't feel up to doing much other than sit. The caregivers who have worked for them before are dissatisfied with the company and say they are interviewing with other agencies but would like to work independently. The company is low paying but charges top prices for the caregivers. I do not recommend this company as I had bad experiences with them.

Not sure about Home Instead Senior Care?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Home Care Services for you.

Home Instead Senior Care expert review by Shelley Webb

As a worldwide provider with more than 900 franchise offices, Home Instead has a reputation for excellence.

• Transportation services: Not every senior needs a home health aide, but many do need help to get to the grocery store or doctor appointments.

• Depression treatment: Depression is an epidemic among seniors who seldom leave the house. By training care givers to recognize the signs of depression, Home Instead helps identify the problem at the source to help seniors receive quick treatment.

• Several tiered service levels: Where most companies lump companion services and home health aides in to a single category and price point, Home Instead Senior Care allows buyers to choose the exact level of service needed.

• Short-term help: Not every person who needs help around the house needs it for the rest of their lives. Sometimes, an injury or illness can make it a short-term requirement, which is why this service can be so helpful.

• Educational resources: Find information about a number of different chronic issues that may plague elderly relatives and potential resources for caregivers seeking assistance.

• Best for: Primary caregivers, elderly individuals, persons with dementia, persons with a disability, accident victims and terminal patients.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Home Instead Senior Care Company Information