Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.53/5

Home Instead offers a range of in-home services for seniors. If you or a loved one needs occasional help around the house or 24/7 medical care, a local Home Instead agency can match you to a caretaker with the appropriate qualifications and the skillset for your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

Home Instead Senior Care delivers services 24/7, including on holidays. Auxiliary services, such as senior housing consultations, are limited, but it’s a good option for those who prefer out-of-facility care.

PROS

• Provides care for a range of needs
  • Available in most states
  • 24/7 services

CONS

• Rates vary by location
  • Insurance may not cover costs

Top Home Instead Senior Care Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Instead Senior Care?

We needed help with my 99-year-old father and 90-year-old mother who wanted to stay in their home… The support they have given is excellent and my family couldn't be happier for ourselves and our parents. Thanks to the Home Instead team for making this transition a happy one!

What is Home Instead?

Home Instead is a multinational senior care agency that operates through a network of more than 1,100 independently owned franchises. It offers services ranging from live-in care to end-of-life care. Most locations train caregivers to help clients with chronic and common diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, chronic COPD, depression, diabetes, arthritis and cancer. Transportation services, hygiene assistance, meal preparation and other care options are also available.

How does Home Instead work?

You can request an in-home consultation with a local representative to discuss care needs, service options, associated costs and payment details. Home Instead then pairs you with a personal caregiver who offers the selected services as your agreed-upon schedule directs. If your assigned caregiver is unavailable, the agency sends another caregiver from its network.

Home Instead FAQ

How much does Home Instead cost?
    Home Instead costs vary based on your specific care needs and location. Your rate depends on the level of care provided. There might be a minimum visit length of two or three hours, determined by your local franchise operator. Some agencies may charge a reduced rate if supervision is required for a significant portion of the service time.
    Does Home Instead accept Medicare?
    Medicare typically does not cover in-home care services like Home Instead. However, a senior’s physician may order in-home care and prescribe a certified care plan, which Medicare is more likely to cover.
    Does Home Instead accept Medicaid?
    Medicaid sometimes pays for the type of in-home care Home Instead provides. However, Medicaid programs are different in each state, so eligibility and benefits vary.
    Does Home Instead offer specialized care?
    Yes, Home Instead offers a range of specialized care options. It trains caregivers to provide help for seniors with various common illnesses, including dementia and other memory impairments.
    Are Home Instead caretakers registered nurses?
    Some are. Your Home Instead caretaker will not necessarily be a registered nurse since skilled in-home nursing care is not required for all situations. However, if wound care, medication administration, rehabilitation or IV administration is required, Home Instead pairs clients with a registered nurse, licensed practical nurse or licensed vocational nurse.

Is Home Instead worth it?

Home Instead is a worthwhile option to consider. Caregivers are trained to take care of basic needs like housekeeping, cooking and grooming as well as more specialized medical issues, such as Alzheimer’s or dementia. In most states, 24/7 live-in care, rehabilitative services and end-of-life care are also available. However, since Home Instead locations are independently owned and operated, it’s smart to research your local franchise to understand costs and customer experiences.

Home Instead Senior Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Instead Senior Care?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

We needed help with my 99 year old father and 90 year old mother who wanted to stay in their home, that had lived in since 1955. The nurse at St Mary hospital gave me three references and I chose Home Instead in Livonia MI. The people I initially asked for help were incredibly understanding and made the decision easy for me. Brittany has been wonderful and the caregivers Dawn and Tamiko are world class people and friends to my parents. The support they have given is excellent and my family couldn't be happier for ourselves and our parents. Thanks to the Home Instead team for making this transition a happy one! Mark

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

My husband is completely bedfast and we need people who can handle bathing, dressing, feeding among many other things. They must be able to use a Hoyer Lift. We have had many different people and they have all been very kind and considerate of us both.

Get buying tips about Home Care Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Our caregiver is excellent. She is dependable and self motivated. She takes great care of my mom and helps with household chores. The company has been very cooperative with necessary scheduling changes. The service has been a wonderful much needed break for me as I also take care of my brother, a disabled veteran.

Original review: June 21, 2020

Family member has hired 3 sitters. The first one was searching the house. The second stole and the current one borrowed money, talks on inappropriate topics, is constantly on her cell, borrows the car and constantly questioning about the family.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I went away for the weekend and hired home care for my ailing mother who had cancer and was bedbound. Saturday night the worker was scheduled but never showed up. Out of frustration and based on their complete lack of competence I cancelled Sunday’s home care visit. The home care worker showed up anyway but as it turns out she provided us with the wrong patient name (breech of personal information). Turns out she was at the wrong residence! Totally unreliable and very unprofessional!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

The caregivers were unreliable so we didn't feel confident that our loved one was in good hands. Staffing was on the ball about calling us about problems with our sitters personal problems but at times unable to provide a caregiver. The employees in the business office were rude. There was a two week billing period with approximately a 5 day time period for receiving the bill and returning payment or a $25 charge was required. Communication was poor between the Client Service Representative, the business office, and responsibilities of the caregivers care plan for our loved one. I read the client reviews on the Home Instead Senior Care website and found them very questionable.

Original review: July 12, 2019

We used Home Instead in Oak Park, IL. I feel when we needed them the most they failed us. Most of the staff was ill equipped to handle my mother's needs as she deteriorated. She was bedridden and it took 3 people to change the soiled sheets and her, most of the caretakers had no idea what to do. As if that is not bad enough one of the caretakers decided to clean my mother up, exposing her private parts in front of family (her grandchildren) that were there visiting. I'm appalled that the caretaker would think that was acceptable in any way, shape or form. They also lack communication, as supplies were delivered from hospice boxes were stacked in a place that was not easily seen and never communicated that supplies had been delivered. If you love your family member I do not recommend them at all!

Original review: July 9, 2019

It is important to understand that the experience I describe here is related to one of Home Instead's many franchises. I have read negative reviews that have nothing to do with the Culver City franchise I used. In fact the home instead office that I dealt with was highly professional, courteous, and client-oriented. At our initial meeting they provided me with a list of qualities that I could expect from my caregivers. They made it very clear that I was to notify the office at any time that I felt I was not appropriately being cared for.

They emphasized the importance of training for all their caregivers. In fact, I was aware when my various caregivers were attending training sessions. Sometimes the training sessions have to do with things that I brought to the attention of the supervisors. For example, I have advanced Parkinson's disease. Many health professionals are not experienced with the various symptoms that come along with this disease. My home instead agency not only offered training sessions in dealing with Parkinson's patients, they also provided written information for my caregivers to use.

Because I had three shifts over 7 days a week, I had about six or seven different caregivers at any particular time. I think I understand the different skills that caregivers can have. I had many caregivers who had extensive training and experience. I had other caregivers whose strength was in providing companionship and understanding to a lonely client. Most of my caregivers had something special to offer. Were they all competent and fit for the job? Of course not. But home instead Culver City kept their promise to me. As soon as I notified them of a difficult situation, they handle it quite promptly. In some cases it merely required communicating with the caregiver. Sometimes it required replacing the caregiver. I think they used good professional judgment in these situations.

Were they perfect caregiving agency? No they were not. But they were aware of their areas that needed to be improved and I believe they were working on them constantly. For example, not all my caregivers had adequate experience in meal preparation. By the time I concluded my contract with them, they had instituted a sharing arrangement for caregivers to help one another. I parted ways with home instead Culver City because I was able to set up private home Care with live in caregivers. My advice to caregiving consumers is to be sure the reviews you read are directly related to the organization you'll be working with. Also, interview the staff, and ask to meet your potential caregivers in advance. Finally, be sure to let the organization know when your needs are being met and when they are not.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Since negative stars are not available, they get one. Totally negative on the high turnover staff. The RN's are combative and prone to slander. They treat workers and families horribly. If you want caregivers sleeping during the shift, and having basically no idea on proper care of your elder, this is the company for you. None of the home staff are licensed, and most are morons. Unfortunately, once they are in your life, its near impossible to get rid of due to attachment with the good ones. Near two years into this adventure leaves a bad taste.

Original review: June 4, 2019

They lasted two days as they dropped my loved one TWICE in 2 days. They also have questionable pricing as 2 twelve hour shifts is not considered 24 hrs in their pricing. They showed one shift as awake and the other resting but charged the higher rate for both. When questioned they told me they didn't have any 24 hour shifts. They are nothing but baby sitters.

Home Instead Senior Care Company Information