3.7/5 (35 ratings)

About Home Instead Senior Care

Home Instead offers a range of in-home services for seniors. If you or a loved one needs occasional help around the house or 24/7 medical care, a local Home Instead agency can match you to a caretaker with the appropriate qualifications and the skillset for your needs.

Top Home Instead Senior Care Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Our caregiver is excellent. She is dependable and self motivated. She takes great care of my mom and helps with household chores. The company has been very cooperative with necess...

Verified

We needed help with my 99-year-old father and 90-year-old mother who wanted to stay in their home… The support they have given is excellent and my family couldn't be happier for o...

What is Home Instead?

Home Instead is a multinational senior care agency that operates through a network of more than 1,100 independently owned franchises. It offers services ranging from live-in care to end-of-life care. Most locations train caregivers to help clients with chronic and common diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, chronic COPD, depression, diabetes, arthritis and cancer. Transportation services, hygiene assistance, meal preparation and other care options are also available.

How does Home Instead work?

You can request an in-home consultation with a local representative to discuss care needs, service options, associated costs and payment details. Home Instead then pairs you with a personal caregiver who offers the selected services as your agreed-upon schedule directs. If your assigned caregiver is unavailable, the agency sends another caregiver from its network.

Home Instead FAQ

How much does Home Instead cost?
Home Instead costs vary based on your specific care needs and location. Your rate depends on the level of care provided. There might be a minimum visit length of two or three hours, determined by your local franchise operator. Some agencies may charge a reduced rate if supervision is required for a significant portion of the service time.
Does Home Instead accept Medicare?
Medicare typically does not cover in-home care services like Home Instead. However, a senior’s physician may order in-home care and prescribe a certified care plan, which Medicare is more likely to cover.
Does Home Instead accept Medicaid?
Medicaid sometimes pays for the type of in-home care Home Instead provides. However, Medicaid programs are different in each state, so eligibility and benefits vary.
Does Home Instead offer specialized care?
Yes, Home Instead offers a range of specialized care options. It trains caregivers to provide help for seniors with various common illnesses, including dementia and other memory impairments.
Are Home Instead caretakers registered nurses?
Some are. Your Home Instead caretaker will not necessarily be a registered nurse since skilled in-home nursing care is not required for all situations. However, if wound care, medication administration, rehabilitation or IV administration is required, Home Instead pairs clients with a registered nurse, licensed practical nurse or licensed vocational nurse.

Is Home Instead worth it?

Home Instead is a worthwhile option to consider. Caregivers are trained to take care of basic needs like housekeeping, cooking and grooming as well as more specialized medical issues, such as Alzheimer’s or dementia. In most states, 24/7 live-in care, rehabilitative services and end-of-life care are also available. However, since Home Instead locations are independently owned and operated, it’s smart to research your local franchise to understand costs and customer experiences.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Instead Senior Care?

Original review: May 13, 2022

Awful. Staff are undertrained and incapable of caring for dementia patients. For the most part, they are friendly, but when it comes to doing actual work, they fall short. We caught our caregiver putting my 96-year-old grandmother back to bed in the morning without breakfast or her medicine so that the caregiver could study. None of the caregivers we tried were able to cook simple, nutritious meals, none of them were capable of helping to shower my grandmother, and they failed to provide any stimulating activities for her during the day. They would just sit here in front of the tv. It was so upsetting and a total waste of money.

When discussing this with Joe, the manager, he became unhinged and screamed at my mother over the phone, eventually hanging up on her. He also lied repeatedly, saying that he would stop in during the day to check on things; however, the caregiver let us know he had never once come by. Dementia patients, in particular, have special needs. If your staff isn't trained to handle those needs, don't claim that they are and then get angry with us when expectations are not met. Raising your voice at your client is extraordinarily unprofessional. I simply cannot urge enough caution when dealing with this Thousand Oaks facility.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

I would never recommend the service for family member, friends or my enemy due there lack or respect and care. they say they uphold, as a family company!! what a joke!!! The treatment my Husband received after tragic situation that the client died in the Bunbury southwest community. All I can say it is more than disgraceful as the company service made a couple phone calls after the tragic incident that occurred and they never touched base again to this day.. The mental trauma that it caused my Husband and myself as his wife picking up the pieces with no support from home instead no contact not even a card of email over the weeks or months this is proof what sort of company would want to work for if that how they tear you and act.. what do they really stand for!!

Home Instead Bunbury and perth have a lot to learn In there delivery of service to your local community and staff.. The trauma that It caused us as a family was hard enough but to experience such a poorly local service of lies in their lack of values of a family company to work for they say/to employees and service is far from the truth of their values they say they uphold.. There so much contradiction in their communication and the lack of care they give.. The integrity of their word and trained support of delivery of service support is a joke! We have experienced it first hand and would not want anybody else to experience the disappointment failure of their duty of care to my husband mental health and care from this company.

Get buying tips about Home Care Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

We started using Home Instead of Mishawaka because the VA chose it for us. My husband was a Vietnam veteran and was getting his health care through the VA AND he was also a Hospice patient. At my initial meeting with a representative, I was quite impressed. She said all the things I wanted to hear. I specifically wanted to know if any of their caregivers had experience with ALS patients. She assured me that they did and that's who we would get. She asked me if there were any "absolutes" in caregivers. I said they have to like, if not love dogs. We have a 12 pound Shih Tzu who is easily the sweetest dog in Indiana. Again, I was assured that we would get only dog lovers.

Our first caregiver walked in the door drinking a Monster energy drink and never stopped talking the entire 4 hours she was there. This was on a Friday evening and we were in the "winding down" phase of our day. The next caregiver we got was a sweetheart, very gentle with my husband and helpful to me. She suggested I request to have only her on our 3 afternoons a week. I must say the scheduler was very accommodating over the phone. She said however, that we would have a different caretaker the following Weds. That particular woman was here a total 15 minutes before I kicked her out. Her first mistake was when she yelled at my dog and told her to "get away from me" in a very loud voice. She then said, "I don't like dogs!", again in a very loud voice.

When I asked her about caring for an ALS patient her response was "What's ALS?" I told her a couple of things that I would need her to do while she was here, the first being that I needed her to puree some food for my husband, who couldn't swallow. Her response, "Nobody said nothin' about no pureeing food!" She also knew nothing about the fact that he was a hospice patient. After a couple more responses like this I told her she needed to leave. She was an awful woman.

You may notice that I'm speaking of my husband in past tense. After 3 weeks with Home Instead he passed away, so I didn't have to concern myself with them any longer. However, there is 1 more thing that upset me. When I called the office to tell them he had died I had to leave a message. To this day, 4 weeks after his death, I have received no acknowledgement of his passing, not even a phone call expressing sympathy. In my book that's just tacky! There are many good home care businesses in the South Bend/Mishawaka area, so please look to one of them rather than Home Instead.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

We needed more hours of coverage for our mom. In addition to private care, we contacted Comfort Keepers and Home Instead. In less than 3 weeks Comfort Keepers people did not show up as scheduled... No notice to family at all one time... Text at 1130 at night for next am. Home Instead has been very good about keeping us informed of schedule issues. One of the 2 caregivers that have come is a good fit. The other was terrible and even dissed us when we asked her to wear a mask. She sat and did nothing her whole shift. We have asked them not to send her anymore.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Used the company website to make contact and request information on care and price. Was told someone would contact me next evening. Didn't happen. Rang that evening, got through to emergency line, only line open, was told person in my area would contact me lunch time next day, was given a name. Next day no contact! My conclusion don't bother with this firm 'cause they couldn't be bothered with you.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I spent the day comforting my mom as she cried into the phone over the fact that this group of deplorable “health workers” abandoned her with no help and no notice because her house was not clean enough when they were supposed to be cleaning it! I watched myself as the last one didn’t even bother to fold the towels or take the trash out and my mom is paralyzed and in a wheelchair. They lied in their reasoning as a means to not get sued, showed up and walked in without knocking, frightened and embarrassed her. Their workers are not vaccinated and put my mom into danger each time they came over. I don’t normally write reviews but the world needs to be warned about these people. RUN from this company!!!

Original review: June 23, 2021

Being new to home care and caregivers I wasn't sure on what to expect as far as what the company promises and what the caregiver does exactly. I was drawn by the orientation they gave. Well they are not fully staffed for starters, all we got mostly was new employees, also a different one each day. That is bad for a person with dementia. They do not clean without a push start, they sat mostly and watched TV. All around bad experience for the time we used them.

Original review: April 10, 2021

If you want individualized care for your loved one do NOT choose the Home Instead franchise in Frankfort Ky. They do not train caregivers on individual clients and will not notify you of changes in caregiver schedules or even bother to call and ask if changes will work for your family. In addition, staff often doesn’t even show up for shifts potentially causing health, safety, welfare concerns. The agency is not concerned with their clients’ safety as a priority.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

Beware. When you sign a contract with Home Instead, you have to give a 2-week deposit and agree to giving a 2-week notice if discontinuing services. However, they terminated my parents contract with only a 3 1/2 day notice and over 40 days later, we are still waiting on them to return the deposit. Their caregivers could not handle my fathers Alzheimer's-related behaviors although they bragged about their experience with Alzheimer's patients.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

Worst experience of my life. Billed for days I was hospitalized? Called at 9pm to tell me they did not have anyone to stay. Shifts not covered. Went to the bank. They initiated a fraud claim. Willy is a snake. Took money out of my account for services not provided. When I tried to cancel because family was going to assist Debbie would not let me cancel. Got text messages saying caregiver was busy putting up Christmas tree. She told me, "I’m not coming tomorrow either. I am going shopping." Does this sound like people you want to associate with, don’t think so. $1200 for two weeks robbery. The attorney general has opened a case.

Home Instead Senior Care Company Information