Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.53/5

Home Instead Senior Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Instead Senior Care?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Instead Senior Care?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

We needed help with my 99 year old father and 90 year old mother who wanted to stay in their home, that had lived in since 1955. The nurse at St Mary hospital gave me three references and I chose Home Instead in Livonia MI. The people I initially asked for help were incredibly understanding and made the decision easy for me. Brittany has been wonderful and the caregivers Dawn and Tamiko are world class people and friends to my parents. The support they have given is excellent and my family couldn't be happier for ourselves and our parents. Thanks to the Home Instead team for making this transition a happy one! Mark

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

My husband is completely bedfast and we need people who can handle bathing, dressing, feeding among many other things. They must be able to use a Hoyer Lift. We have had many different people and they have all been very kind and considerate of us both.

Get buying tips about Home Care Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Our caregiver is excellent. She is dependable and self motivated. She takes great care of my mom and helps with household chores. The company has been very cooperative with necessary scheduling changes. The service has been a wonderful much needed break for me as I also take care of my brother, a disabled veteran.

Original review: June 21, 2020

Family member has hired 3 sitters. The first one was searching the house. The second stole and the current one borrowed money, talks on inappropriate topics, is constantly on her cell, borrows the car and constantly questioning about the family.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I went away for the weekend and hired home care for my ailing mother who had cancer and was bedbound. Saturday night the worker was scheduled but never showed up. Out of frustration and based on their complete lack of competence I cancelled Sunday’s home care visit. The home care worker showed up anyway but as it turns out she provided us with the wrong patient name (breech of personal information). Turns out she was at the wrong residence! Totally unreliable and very unprofessional!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

The caregivers were unreliable so we didn't feel confident that our loved one was in good hands. Staffing was on the ball about calling us about problems with our sitters personal problems but at times unable to provide a caregiver. The employees in the business office were rude. There was a two week billing period with approximately a 5 day time period for receiving the bill and returning payment or a $25 charge was required. Communication was poor between the Client Service Representative, the business office, and responsibilities of the caregivers care plan for our loved one. I read the client reviews on the Home Instead Senior Care website and found them very questionable.

Original review: July 12, 2019

We used Home Instead in Oak Park, IL. I feel when we needed them the most they failed us. Most of the staff was ill equipped to handle my mother's needs as she deteriorated. She was bedridden and it took 3 people to change the soiled sheets and her, most of the caretakers had no idea what to do. As if that is not bad enough one of the caretakers decided to clean my mother up, exposing her private parts in front of family (her grandchildren) that were there visiting. I'm appalled that the caretaker would think that was acceptable in any way, shape or form. They also lack communication, as supplies were delivered from hospice boxes were stacked in a place that was not easily seen and never communicated that supplies had been delivered. If you love your family member I do not recommend them at all!

Original review: July 9, 2019

It is important to understand that the experience I describe here is related to one of Home Instead's many franchises. I have read negative reviews that have nothing to do with the Culver City franchise I used. In fact the home instead office that I dealt with was highly professional, courteous, and client-oriented. At our initial meeting they provided me with a list of qualities that I could expect from my caregivers. They made it very clear that I was to notify the office at any time that I felt I was not appropriately being cared for.

They emphasized the importance of training for all their caregivers. In fact, I was aware when my various caregivers were attending training sessions. Sometimes the training sessions have to do with things that I brought to the attention of the supervisors. For example, I have advanced Parkinson's disease. Many health professionals are not experienced with the various symptoms that come along with this disease. My home instead agency not only offered training sessions in dealing with Parkinson's patients, they also provided written information for my caregivers to use.

Because I had three shifts over 7 days a week, I had about six or seven different caregivers at any particular time. I think I understand the different skills that caregivers can have. I had many caregivers who had extensive training and experience. I had other caregivers whose strength was in providing companionship and understanding to a lonely client. Most of my caregivers had something special to offer. Were they all competent and fit for the job? Of course not. But home instead Culver City kept their promise to me. As soon as I notified them of a difficult situation, they handle it quite promptly. In some cases it merely required communicating with the caregiver. Sometimes it required replacing the caregiver. I think they used good professional judgment in these situations.

Were they perfect caregiving agency? No they were not. But they were aware of their areas that needed to be improved and I believe they were working on them constantly. For example, not all my caregivers had adequate experience in meal preparation. By the time I concluded my contract with them, they had instituted a sharing arrangement for caregivers to help one another. I parted ways with home instead Culver City because I was able to set up private home Care with live in caregivers. My advice to caregiving consumers is to be sure the reviews you read are directly related to the organization you'll be working with. Also, interview the staff, and ask to meet your potential caregivers in advance. Finally, be sure to let the organization know when your needs are being met and when they are not.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Since negative stars are not available, they get one. Totally negative on the high turnover staff. The RN's are combative and prone to slander. They treat workers and families horribly. If you want caregivers sleeping during the shift, and having basically no idea on proper care of your elder, this is the company for you. None of the home staff are licensed, and most are morons. Unfortunately, once they are in your life, its near impossible to get rid of due to attachment with the good ones. Near two years into this adventure leaves a bad taste.

Original review: June 4, 2019

They lasted two days as they dropped my loved one TWICE in 2 days. They also have questionable pricing as 2 twelve hour shifts is not considered 24 hrs in their pricing. They showed one shift as awake and the other resting but charged the higher rate for both. When questioned they told me they didn't have any 24 hour shifts. They are nothing but baby sitters.

Home Instead Senior Care author review by Shelley Webb

As a worldwide provider with more than 900 franchise offices, Home Instead has a reputation for excellence.

• Transportation services: Not every senior needs a home health aide, but many do need help to get to the grocery store or doctor appointments.

• Depression treatment: Depression is an epidemic among seniors who seldom leave the house. By training care givers to recognize the signs of depression, Home Instead helps identify the problem at the source to help seniors receive quick treatment.

• Several tiered service levels: Where most companies lump companion services and home health aides in to a single category and price point, Home Instead Senior Care allows buyers to choose the exact level of service needed.

• Short-term help: Not every person who needs help around the house needs it for the rest of their lives. Sometimes, an injury or illness can make it a short-term requirement, which is why this service can be so helpful.

• Educational resources: Find information about a number of different chronic issues that may plague elderly relatives and potential resources for caregivers seeking assistance.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Home Instead Senior Care Company Information