Home Instead Senior Care

Home Instead Senior Care Reviews

About Home Instead Senior Care

Home Instead offers a range of in-home services for seniors. If you or a loved one needs occasional help around the house or 24/7 medical care, a local Home Instead agency can match you to a caretaker with the appropriate qualifications and the skillset for your needs.

Featured Reviews

Verified
Charles Town, WV

Our caregiver is excellent. She is dependable and self motivated. She takes great care of my mom and helps with household chores. The company has been very cooperative with necess...

Verified
Novi, MI

We needed help with my 99-year-old father and 90-year-old mother who wanted to stay in their home… The support they have given is excellent and my family couldn't be happier for o...

What is Home Instead?

Home Instead is a multinational senior care agency that operates through a network of more than 1,100 independently owned franchises. It offers services ranging from live-in care to end-of-life care. Most locations train caregivers to help clients with chronic and common diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, chronic COPD, depression, diabetes, arthritis and cancer. Transportation services, hygiene assistance, meal preparation and other care options are also available.

How does Home Instead work?

You can request an in-home consultation with a local representative to discuss care needs, service options, associated costs and payment details. Home Instead then pairs you with a personal caregiver who offers the selected services as your agreed-upon schedule directs. If your assigned caregiver is unavailable, the agency sends another caregiver from its network.

Home Instead FAQ

How much does Home Instead cost?
Home Instead costs vary based on your specific care needs and location. Your rate depends on the level of care provided. There might be a minimum visit length of two or three hours, determined by your local franchise operator. Some agencies may charge a reduced rate if supervision is required for a significant portion of the service time.
Does Home Instead accept Medicare?
Medicare typically does not cover in-home care services like Home Instead. However, a senior’s physician may order in-home care and prescribe a certified care plan, which Medicare is more likely to cover.
Does Home Instead accept Medicaid?
Medicaid sometimes pays for the type of in-home care Home Instead provides. However, Medicaid programs are different in each state, so eligibility and benefits vary.
Does Home Instead offer specialized care?
Yes, Home Instead offers a range of specialized care options. It trains caregivers to provide help for seniors with various common illnesses, including dementia and other memory impairments.
Are Home Instead caretakers registered nurses?
Some are. Your Home Instead caretaker will not necessarily be a registered nurse since skilled in-home nursing care is not required for all situations. However, if wound care, medication administration, rehabilitation or IV administration is required, Home Instead pairs clients with a registered nurse, licensed practical nurse or licensed vocational nurse.

Is Home Instead worth it?

Home Instead is a worthwhile option to consider. Caregivers are trained to take care of basic needs like housekeeping, cooking and grooming as well as more specialized medical issues, such as Alzheimer’s or dementia. In most states, 24/7 live-in care, rehabilitative services and end-of-life care are also available. However, since Home Instead locations are independently owned and operated, it’s smart to research your local franchise to understand costs and customer experiences.

Home Instead Senior Care Reviews

Stars Rating

• 40%
  • 20%
  • 8%
  • 3%
  • 29%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Instead Senior Care?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Home Instead Senior Care?

Reviewed June 17, 2024

I needed a reliable home care company for 24 care for someone who Ives alone, no family and transitioned to hospice care. Lillian came out to the house to Understand the care needed and staffed it with great caregivers. Lillian was available to resolve any issues and provide excellent customer satisfaction. I will use them again.

Reviewed June 17, 2024

My experience with Home Instead Senior Care services has been great. I'm blessed to have my 98 year old mother with me, so to leave her in the hands of people I don't know is a test of trust. Each caregiver provided very good care. My mother's needs may have been less physical than most, but when it came to paying her attention whether taking her to the commode, making lunch or just sitting and talking with her, mother seemed at ease. Thank you to the entire team and caregivers of Home Instead. This has been a very good experience for me. Joanna dtr. for Lola

Get buying tips about Home Care Services delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed April 16, 2024

The Fairview Park Senior center had Home Instead senior care representatives Judy ** and Darlene **, LPN present a lunch and learn talk to our seniors. The talk was very informative. They demonstrated many exercises to do in the home. The importance of having someone physically demonstrating was very beneficial to our seniors. The lunch was very simple, but well received. The personal, caring touch was much appreciated by all in attendance. Thanks Judy and Darlene from Home Instead!

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Jan. 13, 2024

Had the pleasure of having Conceya ** come to care for my father. Her professional and pleasant personality was refreshing. Due to scheduling unfortunately she doesn't come every time, but definitely the best you could ask for a caregiver.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed June 7, 2024

The office staff is extremely rude. The weekend aides, except for 2, were lazy & I had to clean up after them! My 1st aide quit w/o notice on 12/24/23. I came home on 12/1/23 bedridden. UNDEPENDABLE! UNPROFESSIONAL! And very stressful! The office staff lies to cover for themselves and each other. I'll be taking further action!

Reviewed May 10, 2024

Home Instead Punta Gorda Florida. This is a bad location. Other Florida counties may have better reviews. For my parent, the 'caregiver' has a broken passenger window, so my parent could have cut themselves getting into the car. Another caregiver, same location, care broke down transporting my parent. Scary. Any good caregiver leaves, within a month. Sad. Don't use this location. You have been warned.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 31, 2024

We had Home Instead look after my father. One girl was ok for a while but became inconsistent and the other staff was a lucky dip that had no idea..and the manager I contact was nothing but rude and unprofessional and argumentive and cancelled my 85 yr old father's care 1 day before a long weekend leaving him with little services. Never have them back again, poor service skills

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2023

I hired Home Instead to be with me on the day of my surgery, the day after in the hospital, and for five following days at home. The helper with me the day after surgery was out more than with me having smoke breaks. Later in the day the hospital staff said my room, " reeked of smoke." When she took me home later that day, her car smelled of smoke. I had to have the window down. There was no consistency with the helpers. One day, the helper was 45 minutes late because she could not find my home. No one called to inform me. Another day, no one showed and it was late morning before they got someone to my home- after I called them. The helpers were to arrive at 8AM.

Today, no one showed again and I received a call that the helper was in heavy traffic. I cancelled services. Thankfully, I'm feeling a little less shaky today, but with low energy, and feel I'll probably be ok. I fear for elderly clients who cannot advocate for themselves. No telling how many have been left alone with no helper showing up. It's time for home health agencies to be regulated and I'm contacting my elected officials today.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupContract & TermsSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed July 20, 2023

Home Instead signed a contract to provide a caregiver at the times/days we requested but were never able to provide a permanent one. Very inflexible shifts. Focused on their needs - not the patient. We requested one who could transport to doctor appointments and they sent someone who could not. Once sent a caregiver just to transport for one day. I am not comfortable putting my spouse in the car with someone I never met. They cancelled the next day's shift at the end of a prior day leaving me no time to make arrangements. Used a coordinator for care temporarily but didn’t find a permanent caregiver and cancelled the contract with short notice. They agreed it was not acceptable to cancel a shift but they did and then totally cancelled us saying that the problem was that we were annoyed that they promised a caregiver they could not provide, transportation they could not provide, and cancelled and changed arrangements too many times.

Coordinator expressed surprise that I had not been notified by office staff of changes. One caregiver quit before she started and we were not notified till the start of the shift. When I provided transport to doctors' appointments because they could not - they still wanted to be paid for their hours but were not flexible about adjusting; they wanted to be paid while I provided transportation. Did not follow instructions about exercise so the patient was in pain as a result. Did not seem to understand that dementia patients can be very functional at some times and almost unable to function at others. Condescending about input family and family instructions. Wanted to over control and dictate. Would not agree to meet with spouse prior to starting work.

I prefer to meet any caregiver who is going to come into my home and provide some orientation myself. They were very resistant to that. Exerted minimal effort toward providing a nutritious lunch even though no other tasks were required except direct patient care and attention. They admitted they had trouble finding caregivers but did not actively recruit - only passively advertised. The first time I called the office someone yelled at me about who I was and what did I want after I asked to speak to our coordinator. I guess they expect the dementia patient to call for himself?? My husband’s neurologist was so concerned about this experience that they put Home Instead on their do not use list and recommended that I provide a review so that other patients and families do not end up in the same situation.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Dec. 24, 2022

I'm writing this in regards to the Akron, Ohio, franchise. Your experience may vary w/ other franchises. Caregivers were consistently 10-15 minutes late but clocked in on time, so my mom was overcharged. They bought groceries with my mom's debit card without her present, even though they were not allowed to do so (per manager). Some aides were great; others, not so much. There was no consistency.

One of the aides took my mom on errands right at the time my mom had an appointment. Home Instead has a portal w/ a calendar that the aide didn't bother to look at. The aide didn't answer texts or phone calls, so my mom was essentially missing for approx 90 minutes, causing me and a few others a lot of stress. Most of the care managers were good, but some were unresponsive - unreturned phone calls/emails. The positive: my mom liked most of the aides and she had a little help for most of her day. Overall, what I was promised was much different than reality.

Home Instead Senior Care Company Information