3.7/5 (27 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Calibrate

Calibrate’s One-Year Metabolic Reset combines doctor-prescribed GLP-1 medication, one-one video coaching and lifestyle tweaks to help you achieve sustainable weight loss and improved metabolic health. Calibrate’s earliest members lost an average of 15% of their body weight and reported an average reduction in waist size of 6.4 inches. The program costs $1,649, which doesn’t include lab tests and medication — however, these are typically covered by insurance. Calibrate guarantees you’ll lose 10% of your body weight in a year or you get your money back, though terms and conditions do apply.

Pros

• Doctor-guided program
  • One-on-one video coaching
  • 10% weight loss guaranteed
  • Financing option with 0% interest

Cons

• Some eligibility restrictions
  • Blood tests and meds not covered in cost

Bottom Line

Calibrate is a one-year virtual program that helps you lose weight sustainably by taking control of your metabolic health. It includes doctor-prescribed GLP-1 medication, one-on-one video coaching and holistic lifestyle tweaks. Members with insurance will pay no more than $25 a month for the medication.

Top Calibrate Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

... I have lost 30% of my body weight and haven't been this size since high school. I have energy, my food habits have completely changed and so many of my health metrics have imp...

Verified

... I am now 8 months into the program, and have lost 80lbs, or 28% of my starting body weight. My labs and blood pressure have all returned to "normal" ranges. I feel better than...

What is Calibrate?

Calibrate is a one-year virtual weight loss program that uses a metabolic approach to target the root cause of weight loss instead of focusing on willpower.

It includes doctor-prescribed GLP-1 medication, one-on-one video coaching and lifestyle tweaks. Calibrate’s One-Year Metabolic Reset is based on the latest science and is backed by a clinical advisory board of experts and scientific researchers in weight and metabolic health.

Calibrate guarantees members lose 10% of their body weight or they'll get their money back (minus the cost of the initial assessment, medications and lab work). Calibrate states that its earliest members lost an average of 15% of their body weight and saw a 6.4-inch reduction in waist circumference, and nearly 93% of members reported that Calibrate is more effective than other programs they’ve tried.

How does Calibrate work?

Calibrate is available in all states and Washington, D.C. You don’t need a doctor’s referral to join. To be eligible, you need to:

• Be between 18 to 64 years of age
  • Have a BMI over 30, or more than 27 with one or more of the following metabolic conditions: diabetes, pre-diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, obstructive sleep apnea or polycystic ovary syndrome
  • Not be pregnant or breastfeeding
  • Be covered by a commercial or employer health insurance  (except Kaiser insurance)
  • Not have an active substance abuse problem; an active eating disorder (e.g., anorexia or bulimia); cancer; recent bariatric surgery (within the past 18 months); active gallbladder disease; a history of pancreatitis in the past six months; or a history of medullary thyroid cancer (MEN syndrome)
  • Live in the United States

You can determine your eligibility for Calibrate’s program online or by calling. It’s also a good idea to call your insurer and ask if it covers GLP-1 medications and three required lab tests: a kidney function test, a hemoglobin A1C test and a thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) test.

Once you sign up for Calibrate, you need to complete lab tests and a health intake. Here's a general timeline:

• Within two to three weeks: Meet with a board-certified Calibrate doctor to go over your health history and lab work and discuss the right GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide-1) medication for you.
  • Within four weeks: Get your GLP-1 medication prescription, with a guaranteed cost of $25 per month or less with insurance after your deductible is met, or you get a refund.
  • Within five to six weeks: Meet with your certified accountability coach; the first session marks the start of the Calibrate year. You’ll discuss tweaks to diet, exercise, sleep and emotional health and stay accountable with biweekly, 15-minute sessions.
  • Six months later: Achieve 10% weight loss, along with a smaller waist size and improvements in energy level and stamina.
  • After one year: Get lab work to measure progress — if you haven’t lost 10% of your body weight, talk to a representative to see if you’re eligible for a refund.

How much does Calibrate cost?

Calibrate’s one-year metabolic reset costs $1,649 at the time of publishing. This includes a metabolic health assessment, a video appointment with a Calibrate doctor, one year of biweekly coaching and accountability video sessions and a smart scale and app that track your weight, sleep, activity and diet. Financing options, including a 0% APR payment plan over 12 months, are available through Affirm.

Note that the one-year metabolic reset doesn't cover lab tests or medication. However, the tests are covered by most insurance plans, and Calibrate guarantees members with commercial or employer insurance will pay no more than $25 a month for medication.

Calibrate FAQ

Is Calibrate covered by insurance?

Calibrate works with most commercial and employer insurers to get coverage for lab tests and medication. Calibrate guarantees you pay $25 or less per month for medication with insurance (after deductible), or you get a refund — talk to a Calibrate representative for terms and details.

How much weight can you lose on Calibrate?

Calibrate guarantees at least 10% weight loss after its one-year program, or you get your money back (except the $249 assessment cost). Calibrate’s earliest members lost an average of 15% of their body weight, according to the company.

What weight loss medication does Calibrate prescribe?

Calibrate doctors prescribe GLP-1 medications including semaglutide, liraglutide and dulaglutide. The brand names include Wegovy and Ozempic. These drugs can be taken safely with certain common medications and have minimal side effects, according to Calibrate.

Does Calibrate weight loss work?

Calibrate states that its earliest members saw an average weight loss of 15%. The company promises a weight loss of 10% with a money-back guarantee.

Where is Calibrate available?

Calibrate is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.

Is Calibrate legit?

Thousands of people have used Calibrate and lost at least 10% of their body weight, according to the company.

Calibrate is worth it if you’ve tried to lose weight on other programs without success and want to lose a clinically significant amount of weight. The combination of doctor-prescribed GLP-1 medication and one-on-one video coaching makes it stand out from traditional programs. Calibrate helps provide the motivation and support to lose weight sustainably for the long term.

Even though a referral from a doctor isn’t required, we recommend speaking with your physician first to decide if Calibrate is right for you.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Six months ago I was at my wits' end. After almost a decade of steady weight gain, I had reached an all-time high. That was bad enough on its own, but at 48 years old and with a few health risk factors, I knew time was no longer on my side to get things back on track. I had to make some changes before I ended up with health consequences that would be much more difficult to overcome.

A little earlier in life I was able to lose weight whenever I set my mind to it. If I cut back a bit, exercised more, or combined the two, I was always able to drop some pounds and keep things in check. However, after several years of working long hours on the road, living off of fast food and, eating too much and often too late for my own good, I began to find that the old standbys didn’t work anymore. The scale was only moving in one direction.

I could feel how much the extra pounds were starting to affect my well-being and ability to function at, both at work and at home. My blood pressure was elevated and suspected that insulin resistance was a big issue. I had seen a few ads for Calibrate online and had even taken a look around the site a couple of times, but after hitting that high weight, I decided that it was time to do more than look. I needed a kickstart to get me moving in the right direction and it looked like just the thing.

What attracted me to Calibrate was the multi-faceted approach. I’ve tried typical diet and lifestyle changes with little to no success in recent years, but Calibrate combined lab work, meeting with a doctor, and prescription medication to help get my blood sugar back in line with a diet approach that didn’t require a riding system of counting calories or points. I wasn’t sure about the necessity of having a coach going in, but I was game to try that, as well.

While I liked the way Calibrate was set up, I was a little skeptical of how I would do when I first got the packet with all of the literature and looked over the food triangles. It seemed like that level of dietary change would be overwhelming. However, while waiting to get my labs scheduled, I slowly started taking the advice in the literature. I began paying more attention to labels on the food I typically eat and replacing some of them that I found were loaded with empty carbs, preservatives and synthetic sweeteners. The more I eased into this new way of looking at food, the easier I found it was for me to follow.

I think that slow and steady approach is one of the best aspects of Calibrate and what has made it work for me. The medications were introduced in stages. The changes have come gradually over weeks and months. I found that the different steps of altering my diet, improving my sleep, working on stress levels and exercising more all built on each other in a way that felt natural and lead to success.

It turned out that having a coach was a bigger part of that process than I expected. Even though I wasn’t sure about having a coach before getting starting, working with Alyssa has definitely changed my mind. She’s been a positive and reassuring guide through the Calibrate program. She has answered all my questions and helped to keep me on track with lots of encouragement. It’s good to have that accountability, especially when there’s such a positive focus to it.

I’ve now reached the six month mark of my Calibrate journey and I feel better than I have in a long time. I’ve lost almost 60 pounds, which is honestly a lot more than I expected going into this. I have more energy at work and at home. More importantly, my blood sugar seems to be sorted out and my blood pressure has returned to normal levels that I haven’t seen in over a decade. As good as the weight loss feels, these positive impacts on my overall health are what have me singing this program’s praises.

One of the aspects I most appreciate about Calibrate at this point is that it feels sustainable. The changes that I have made have worked as well or better than advertised and feel like I will be able to continue them going forward to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I’ve done the typical diet and quick-fix thing before and I know what that feels like. Calibrate is something completely different and I’m so glad I found it.

Calibrate response

Hi James, thank you for taking the time to share why you decided to start with Calibrate and your experience with our program thus far. We really appreciate your thoughtful feedback, and we're grateful to have you as part of the Calibrate community.

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

I found Calibrate in a search for medical weight loss. I liked the Calibrate approach of changing your set point, because that makes sense and I’d seen it in my own life; I kept going back to the same weight. My doctor and I reviewed Calibrate and surgery. She considered surgery a good option, while I was reluctant because I am an emotional eater and felt I didn’t have a lot of support; I was afraid I’d be in the 10% that failed it. I really needed a support system! She reviewed the medical information on Calibrate and suggested it. I started the weight loss triangle in mid-March. I have lost 33 lbs, almost 11% of my body weight. My labs are all normal (I was prediabetic and likely had sleep apnea), I sleep better, I have more energy, and I feel like I’m making a sustainable change.

The biggest difference between this and other programs is the medication component, along with the biweekly coaching sessions. My coach, Alyssa, helps me gain insight into the whys and ways to change my thinking. When I slip, she walks me through how to not beat myself up and give up, along with how to think about different ways to handle stress. The medication has helped me change how I look at food. It’s fuel now, not something to lean on when I’m sad or stressed; I notice how food makes me feel, rather than eating without thinking. It is not an exaggeration to say Calibrate gave me my life back!

Calibrate response

Thank you for sharing your feedback Leslie. We are so happy to hear about your positive experience with Calibrate, and we're grateful to have you as part of the Calibrate community!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

I initially joined Calibrate to get access to the injectable weight loss medicine that was making my friends magically thinner. I didn't think much about the Intensive Lifestyle Intervention (ILI) portion of the part and figured I would play along. Unfortunately, my insurance plan will not approve these medications for obesity. I was already several weeks into ILI part of the program when I found out.

Calibrate offered to refund my payment, minus the cost of the physician consult. I was surprised to find that I was willing to pay the price of the program for only the ILI because I was already seeing changes and loving it! I'm now 3 months into the program and with the support of Coach Jamie I've made amazing progress: I've quit drinking sodas and Starbucks frappuccinos, happily drinking 100oz of water instead. I'm aware of how eating fast and feeling the need to "clean my plate" has contributed to overeating. I'm eating healthy and no longer have sugar cravings or afternoon energy drops.

I'm moving more and found motivation to join a gym. I've lost almost 20 pounds in 3 months but more importantly, I've made changes that are sustainable that I am sure this weight will not be coming back at the end of Calibrate. Other pluses include no longer needing glucosamine for arthritis and sleeping better. I honestly had no intention of changing my life at the start but with my coach's support, I'm realizing that I can make tiny changes over time that don't prevent me from living the life I want. Thank you Calibrate and thank you, Coach Jamie!! I recommend Calibrate for anyone who wants sustainable weight loss!!

Calibrate response

Hi Jennifer, We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We are trilled to hear your positive feedback about our program.

Original review: April 19, 2022

Over the years, I have struggled with my weight and have tried all the big programs like Weight Watchers, Atkins, Body for Life, Keto, Intermittent Fasting and nothing moved the dial like Calibrate. Once I was past menopause, there was no amount of exercise or extreme calorie reduction that would budge my weight at all. The difference with Calibrate is how all-encompassing this program is across all facets of your life.

With the support of the GLP-1 drugs to help with appetite reduction, you will learn truly healthful eating, the importance of hydration and sleep (game changer!), exercise as it relates to metabolism and emotional health tactics to create a brand new metabolic set point all with your own coach. I have lost 30% of my body weight and haven't been this size since high school. I have energy, my food habits have completely changed and so many of my health metrics have improved. If you are thinking about it, take the next step and join. You have to do the work but the support is there and a whole community of folks are here to help via Facebook too!

Calibrate response

Thank you for sharing, Cristina. We're so grateful to have you as part of the Calibrate community.

Original review: April 17, 2022

I have struggled with my weight my entire life, and have lost/regained 50+ pounds several times prior to Calibrate. I can lose weight with white-knuckled will-power, but have never been able to keep it off. I've learned that rigid weight loss programs are ultimately unsustainable. In July 2021, I was at my highest weight ever and felt utterly hopeless. I had come to the conclusion that I was ultimately a failure, and that staying at nearly 300lbs was healthier than yo-yo-dieting. Then I came across an ad for Calibrate on social, and although I was highly skeptical I decided to at least read about it.

I was initially drawn to the fact that the program is grounded in real, legitimate, scientific research, and treats Obesity like a medical condition, not a personal failure. I also liked that the panel of experts who inform the program are real medical professionals with expertise in the treatment of Obesity - not "lifestyle influencers" selling books or supplements. The year long program, which is built around 4 pillars of metabolic health - nutrition, exercise, sleep and emotional health - resonated with me, and aligned with my own experience. I'd learned through my own efforts that focusing just on food or exercise is not enough to achieve lasting weight loss. Add in the Physician guided medical treatment and the bi-weekly coaching, and Calibrate seemed like a thoughtfully designed program that covered all the bases. I decided to give it a shot.

I liked that my first step was to review my bloodwork with a Physician. She spent nearly an hour listening to my history, educating me on the health risks I was facing, and answering questions about the medication I would be taking. She was both compassionate and straightforward. It was a huge wake-up call, and hard to hear, but exactly what I needed.

I am now 8 months into the program, and have lost 80lbs, or 28% of my starting body weight. My labs and blood pressure have all returned to "normal" ranges. I feel better than I ever have in my entire life. Unlike all of those times I'd lost weight before, I don't feel like I'm "dieting." I have gradually, with the help of my coach, incorporated small changes which have added up to become a completely different lifestyle that still feels effortless to maintain. For the first time ever, I have a healthy, balanced relationship with food and exercise. I am ridiculously active, and feel like a whole new world has been opened up to me.

I have found a safe and supportive community within Calibrate, where I can be truly honest about my struggles and celebrate my successes. When my 1-year is complete, I plan on enrolling in their Graduate program to maintain my weight loss, stay connected to my coach for accountability, and remain focused on my long-term goals. Calibrate has quite literally given me my life back, and I am forever grateful.

Calibrate response

Hi Anna, we are so happy to hear you've had success with our program and found a safe and supportive community within Calibrate.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I have found the material in the lessons to be very informative and very helpful. I would highly recommend this program to anyone wanting to manage their weight and really understand how to improve your metabolism. Medically supervised program with accountability and coaching is a winning combination.

Calibrate response

Hi Jeff, we really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Calibrate, and we're so happy to hear that you're enjoying the combination of our program.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

I have been extremely pleased with Calibrate. I have lost over 20% of my body weight and I feel amazing! I have really enjoyed revamping my diet and honing in on other health habits to sustain a healthy lifestyle and weight for years to come. My coach has been great, with a helpful blend of support and focus on areas in need of work. I was in a very discouraged place when I started this journey with Calibrate, feeling like nothing was working to take off the extra weight. I am back to a weight that I haven’t seen in over a decade and since before having children. I feel great and I have recommended the program to many friends. As a psychologist, I also feel that the program is grounded in science and sound principles to support success in the long run. I would recommend the program to anyone.

Calibrate response

Hi Alicia, we are so happy to hear about your success with our program. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Calibrate.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

If you want to pay $1600 for a scale and a doctor assessment of your weight, go for it. That is all you will get for your money with this company. The doctor appointment ties you in to not qualify for a refund. I joined and was not provided the medicine, the educational modules, nothing! And I am still paying on the loan I took out for this scam without any hope of being refunded.

Calibrate response

Hi Paula, we are so sorry you've had a frustrating experience. We are working hard to make substantial improvements to medication and response wait times, but we realize that we missed the mark on delivering the experience you deserve. We’re glad to see that you were able to speak with a member of our Support Team to get to a resolution.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

They charged $1500 and just disappeared. No phone number. You can call just wait and if you ask how long on chat automated Messeae came will reply in 3 business days and nothing!!!! Stay away. My doctor is so much better.

Calibrate response

Hi Rubina, we are so sorry you've had a disappointing experience. We are working hard to make substantial improvements to medication and response wait times, but we realize that we missed the mark on delivering the experience you deserve. We’re glad to see that you were able to speak with a member of our Support Team to get to a resolution.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

When I started Calibrate, I wasn’t sure what to expect. My coach Jamie has been so helpful and supportive through the whole process. This program takes you step by step making small changes for big results. Each class and coaching session is designed to help make these lifestyle changes sustainable. I’ve lost ten percent of my body weight and dropped clothes sizes and it’s only been four and a half months.

Calibrate response

Hi Jennifer, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Calibrate. We are thrilled to hear that you're finding your coach supportive and our program sustainable. We are glad to have you as part of our Calibrate community.

Calibrate Company Information