4.6/5 (375 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About Calibrate

Calibrate’s One-Year Metabolic Reset combines doctor-prescribed GLP-1 medication, one-one video coaching and lifestyle tweaks to help you achieve sustainable weight loss and improved metabolic health. Calibrate’s earliest members lost an average of 15% of their body weight and reported an average reduction in waist size of 6.4 inches. The program costs $1,649, which doesn’t include lab tests and medication — however, these are typically covered by insurance. Calibrate guarantees you’ll lose 10% of your body weight in a year or you get your money back, though terms and conditions do apply.

Pros

• Doctor-guided program
  • One-on-one video coaching
  • 10% weight loss guaranteed
  • Financing option with 0% interest

Cons

• Some eligibility restrictions
  • Blood tests and meds not covered in cost

Bottom Line

Calibrate is a one-year virtual program that helps you lose weight sustainably by taking control of your metabolic health. It includes doctor-prescribed GLP-1 medication, one-on-one video coaching and holistic lifestyle tweaks. Members with insurance will pay no more than $25 a month for the medication.

Top Calibrate Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Calibrate?

Verified

... I have lost 30% of my body weight and haven't been this size since high school. I have energy, my food habits have completely changed and so many of my health metrics have imp...

Verified

... I am now 8 months into the program, and have lost 80lbs, or 28% of my starting body weight. My labs and blood pressure have all returned to "normal" ranges. I feel better than...

What is Calibrate?

Calibrate is a one-year virtual weight loss program that uses a metabolic approach to target the root cause of weight loss instead of focusing on willpower.

It includes doctor-prescribed GLP-1 medication, one-on-one video coaching and lifestyle tweaks. Calibrate’s One-Year Metabolic Reset is based on the latest science and is backed by a clinical advisory board of experts and scientific researchers in weight and metabolic health.

Calibrate guarantees members lose 10% of their body weight or they'll get their money back (minus the cost of the initial assessment, medications and lab work). Calibrate states that its earliest members lost an average of 15% of their body weight and saw a 6.4-inch reduction in waist circumference, and nearly 93% of members reported that Calibrate is more effective than other programs they’ve tried.

How does Calibrate work?

Calibrate is available in all states and Washington, D.C. You don’t need a doctor’s referral to join. To be eligible, you need to:

• Be between 18 to 64 years of age
  • Have a BMI over 30, or more than 27 with one or more of the following metabolic conditions: diabetes, pre-diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, obstructive sleep apnea or polycystic ovary syndrome
  • Not be pregnant or breastfeeding
  • Be covered by a commercial or employer health insurance  (except Kaiser insurance)
  • Not have an active substance abuse problem; an active eating disorder (e.g., anorexia or bulimia); cancer; recent bariatric surgery (within the past 18 months); active gallbladder disease; a history of pancreatitis in the past six months; or a history of medullary thyroid cancer (MEN syndrome)
  • Live in the United States

You can determine your eligibility for Calibrate’s program online or by calling. It’s also a good idea to call your insurer and ask if it covers GLP-1 medications and three required lab tests: a kidney function test, a hemoglobin A1C test and a thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) test.

Once you sign up for Calibrate, you need to complete lab tests and a health intake. Here's a general timeline:

• Within two to three weeks: Meet with a board-certified Calibrate doctor to go over your health history and lab work and discuss the right GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide-1) medication for you.
  • Within four weeks: Get your GLP-1 medication prescription, with a guaranteed cost of $25 per month or less with insurance after your deductible is met, or you get a refund.
  • Within five to six weeks: Meet with your certified accountability coach; the first session marks the start of the Calibrate year. You’ll discuss tweaks to diet, exercise, sleep and emotional health and stay accountable with biweekly, 15-minute sessions.
  • Six months later: Achieve 10% weight loss, along with a smaller waist size and improvements in energy level and stamina.
  • After one year: Get lab work to measure progress — if you haven’t lost 10% of your body weight, talk to a representative to see if you’re eligible for a refund.

How much does Calibrate cost?

Calibrate’s one-year metabolic reset costs $1,649 at the time of publishing. This includes a metabolic health assessment, a video appointment with a Calibrate doctor, one year of biweekly coaching and accountability video sessions and a smart scale and app that track your weight, sleep, activity and diet. Financing options, including a 0% APR payment plan over 12 months, are available through Affirm.

Note that the one-year metabolic reset doesn't cover lab tests or medication. However, the tests are covered by most insurance plans, and Calibrate guarantees members with commercial or employer insurance will pay no more than $25 a month for medication.

Calibrate FAQ

Is Calibrate covered by insurance?

Calibrate works with most commercial and employer insurers to get coverage for lab tests and medication. Calibrate guarantees you pay $25 or less per month for medication with insurance (after deductible), or you get a refund — talk to a Calibrate representative for terms and details.

How much weight can you lose on Calibrate?

Calibrate guarantees at least 10% weight loss after its one-year program, or you get your money back (except the $249 assessment cost). Calibrate’s earliest members lost an average of 15% of their body weight, according to the company.

What weight loss medication does Calibrate prescribe?

Calibrate doctors prescribe GLP-1 medications including semaglutide, liraglutide and dulaglutide. The brand names include Wegovy and Ozempic. These drugs can be taken safely with certain common medications and have minimal side effects, according to Calibrate.

Does Calibrate weight loss work?

Calibrate states that its earliest members saw an average weight loss of 15%. The company promises a weight loss of 10% with a money-back guarantee.

Where is Calibrate available?

Calibrate is available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.

Is Calibrate legit?

Thousands of people have used Calibrate and lost at least 10% of their body weight, according to the company.

Calibrate is worth it if you’ve tried to lose weight on other programs without success and want to lose a clinically significant amount of weight. The combination of doctor-prescribed GLP-1 medication and one-on-one video coaching makes it stand out from traditional programs. Calibrate helps provide the motivation and support to lose weight sustainably for the long term.

Even though a referral from a doctor isn’t required, we recommend speaking with your physician first to decide if Calibrate is right for you.

Calibrate Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Calibrate?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2023

Overall, I have found my experience with Calibrate to be a very positive one. When I joined Calibrate, I did not know that there might be an option to get a GLP-1 from my doctor (which I know many people are now doing). But I am glad that I did not know that. First of all, I am a nutritionist (Registered Dietitian) and have worked counselling patients for over 35 years. I agree with and respect the dietary guidelines Calibrate provides. I know it is all based in research and has been carefully put together. I love that they recommend making changes slowly, over time, so as to not overwhelm the client. I knew a lot of what I should be doing, but I wasn’t doing it. I found it extremely helpful to be accountable to my coach every two weeks. My coach Madison is lovely and reassuring and really understands the program. I probably would not have done as well without her.

In addition, in spite of my previous nutritional knowledge, I learned a lot of things I didn’t know…about sleep, exercise and emotional health. It is a comprehensive program and I believe it helps to set you up for more long term success. I know a few people who are taking a GLP-1 without a program, and I am seriously concerned about what will happen when they stop the medication.

Now, for the one downside. Usually it is fairly easy to reach out to either the medical team or the support team if you have a question or need something…and get a response within 3 days. There were 2 times during my year when I was not hearing back. One of those times it was a few weeks and I ran out of medication. I knew Calibrate was having some problems, but it was not professional, especially from the medical side. I remember being so frustrated, and as a patient, I lost confidence in the entire program. Eventually I heard back from an amazing Calibrate doctor, Dr. **, who helped get me back on track. Unfortunately, it happened a second time, but not for nearly as long. I still think it is a good program and I would not discourage someone from joining. I know Calibrate is a relatively new company, and my hope is they will straighten out whatever has gone on during those “silent” times. If it were to happen again I’m sure I would feel differently.

Calibrate response

Hi Jane, we are so happy to hear you're having success with Calibrate. We appreciate your feedback and are working hard to make improvements to medication and response wait times. Thank you for being in it together with us.

Get buying tips about Weight Loss Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

I first learned about Calibrate through Facebook Ads and at the time thought my insurance wouldn't allow it since my husband worked for the federal government. I was also pregnant at the time and couldn't sign up. Flash forward a few months, we tragically lost our first daughter at a little over 15 weeks pregnant and I decided to make the change to join the program. Due to a lot of complications this year with my family, we have to seek fertility to try again and the doctors said they couldn't work with me unless I lost 35lbs. Having such a strong why has been instrumental to my success with this program along with supportive coaches, exceptional tracking tools and an understanding that weight loss is so much more than caloric intake and exercise output.

It was also helpful once I called my insurance company and learned that even though my husband worked for the government our plan was still a private commercial one and that I qualified to participate in Calibrate's program. The registration process was simple and pretty easy to do however, getting my first set of medication was really difficult. I work in the pharmaceutical industry however and am aware of sampling programs. So while I was waiting for my medications to be approved, I was able to get samples from my primary care provider in the interim. I strongly suggest if there's a way for Calibrate to partner with local HCPs in a sampling program or to encourage their members to get an initial sample to determine not just tolerability but also as a backup for supply chain/manufacturing issues which has been so prevalent during and even after the pandemic unfortunately.

I know I feel more comfortable having a sample (which is a month's supply) in my refrigerator just in case there's another shortage. Most people also do not understand that the shortage isn't Calibrate's fault and educating them how they can get a sample beforehand may help Calibrate avoid negative reviews moving forward as we work to closer pre-pandemic "normal". My coach Katelyn is a God-sent! Not only is she a fellow Delawarean, she just gets me and has really helped me through the emotional turmoil of weight loss fluctuations, i.e. the days I want to murder my scale. Prior to Calibrate, I would be so extreme on my diets and exercise plans that the moment the scale was off or the second my eyes caught delicious carbies, I'd immediately derail and stay stuck, rather than progressing forward.

I'm really starting to improve my relationship with food based and that's really because of my coach and her helping me develop a much better, healthier relationship with food and the scale. I do wish there was even if it's an "upgrade" option to have more time with our coaches. 15 minutes twice a month, really doesn't feel like enough to review program materials or individual goals for the next few weeks. I feel like this would help me with wanting to continue after my one year metabolic reset and to keep going once I reach my goals.

I love the program materials but really have somewhat fallen behind due to a lot of things going personally in my life. Even still, I have consistently weighed in (I LOVE CALIBRATE'S SCALE'S TRACKING/SYNCING ABILITY), tracked my steps (thank you Apple Watch), work out daily for at least 45 minutes (walking) and meet with my coach bi-weekly. The program has even helped me improve my sleeping habits. Last night, I decided not to watch tv and got much better sleep. I look at sleep now as imperative to helping me reach my weight loss goals and as a bonus time to burn fat/calories along with recouping.

Other great wins, with Calibrate, I realized today I celebrated my 111th day reaching my Apple Watch Move Goal. I had perfect move months for August, September and October. I also earned the fitness challenge for September and October and am doing everything I can to get in 179 miles for the month of November to earn that goal. In the past, if I had an off day, I would completely shut down. Now, I just keep going and I can really thank Calibrate for that. I wish Calibrate had a way you could earn awards for reaching similar goals that they have in the apple program. My mindset shift has probably been the most significant improvement with the Calibrate program. With other programs, I just felt like I could never reach my goals, or that it was my Hashimoto's or something else stopping my progress. I now feel much more in control and capable of making far better decisions.

I also wish there was more community activities such as regional Facebook groups or live events where fellow Calibraters can have meet ups or even a virtual walk-a-thon. I understand that there's cooking classes and other pre-recorded webinars but I really feel like more live sessions such as virtual coffee chats or meet ups would help this program even more. Perhaps virtual stretching sessions or online meditations. If there's a focus group on this, I'd love to help as someone in a similar event-planning industry make this a more scalable/collaborative approach. I also see that Calibrate is starting to partner with more organizations. I would love for you to partner at AstraZeneca with our wellness coaches. I think that would be an amazing relationship.

I have already recommended Calibrate to others and people are starting to see the pounds falling off. I think it's important to note that I've tried Noom, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Contrave, and even had weight loss surgery back in 2008. At 12 my parents put me on **. I first remember hitting 100lbs when I was in the 3rd grade and being embarrassed to share that I had a 3 digit weight in my all about me book.

There has been nothing more de-motivating than gaining weight when your stomach is not as large as your comrades or to deal with lifelong weight issues. However, with Calibrate, I feel empowered, supported and able to actually achieve my goals in spite of health, work and life challenges that come my way. Even though I know I could get my PCP to provide the medication, I feel like I wouldn't be as successful if I didn't have my coach or this program. I'm grateful to Isabella Kenyon for creating this significant program and for all the work your team has done. Thank you for helping me believe in me again.

Calibrate response

Hi Kimberly, we are lucky to have you as part of the Calibrate Community. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

Updated on 01/11/2023: Unfortunately, I think I may have acted too quickly in posting my review for Calibrate. Since posting my review in early November, the services I have received have declined quickly. In Calibrate's defense, there have been medication supply issues and insurance hiccups that are out of their control. However, Calibrate charges a fee for their services, which advertises itself as "Insurance Navigation Experts" and I foolishly believed if supply or insurance issues impacted my access to medication that Calibrate would "expertly" navigate these challenges with me. Instead, I have been left abandoned to figure out how to maintain my access to medication, leaving me confused as to what services I am paying Calibrate for.

Additionally, Calibrate informed me on 09/21/2022 that my insurance company denied the Prior Authorization for my medication. In the meantime, I was able to use a manufacturer savings card to obtain my medication. I researched and found the information on the savings card on my own initiative, and this option was only offered to me after I reached out to Calibrate myself and asked to move forward with the savings coupon. I spoke with my insurance company in December 2022 in an effort to figure out medication access once supply and savings card coverage was impacted. Again, I was under the impression that the experts I hired would be navigating this process as promised, but I was left with no choice but to advocate for myself.

My insurance company then informed me that they requested a Prior Authorization from my medical provider and received no response. When I questioned Calibrate about this on 12/15/2022, I received a response on 12/27/2022 stating that they could not provide me with a denial letter because the determination was made through an online portal. When I called my insurance company again to ask for clarification about the Prior Authorization, I was informed once again that there was no record of it and if it had been denied I would have also received their determination directly in writing. Essentially, Calibrate lied about submitting this Prior Authorization.

And lastly, I contacted the medical team on 12/14/2022 requesting a back up treatment plan due to the supply and insurance issues - including that the Prior Authorization be submitted as requested by my insurance. Medical responded on 12/27/2022 that my request would be forwarded to Support. I have heard nothing from Support as of today, 01/10/2022, regarding this request other than that they do not have any documentation of the denial. I have been very fortunate, due to my own due diligence, to maintain access to my medication. Now, as supply issues are increasingly complicating access to my medication, when I need Calibrate's services the most, I am left to scramble to find a way to get my next month's medication in time so that I don't miss a dose.

I've asked to move to a different dose after finding a local pharmacy that can provide it, and once again received the usual automated response that due to high volume it will take time for them to respond. I've decided to make an appointment with my PCP, who I will be able to see in person within 2 days of calling the office, to get actual real medical care - which I should have just done from the beginning. I have had success since joining Calibrate, but that success is due 100% to the medication and my own due diligence in advocating for myself. The last thing I would like to add is that I submitted my original review after being sent a link to complete the review by Calibrate when I hit my first milestone of 5% of body weight loss. I wish I would've given it more time before publicly expressing my opinions.

Original Review: My experience with the Calibrate has been great so far. The app takes a bit getting used to, but is easy to navigate when you get the hang of it. I like the approach of Calibrate’s model combining coaching and medical support. I am seeing the scale go down for the first time in years.

Calibrate response

Hi Maggie, we are so happy to hear you’re having a positive experience with our Medical and Coaching teams. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Six months ago I was at my wits' end. After almost a decade of steady weight gain, I had reached an all-time high. That was bad enough on its own, but at 48 years old and with a few health risk factors, I knew time was no longer on my side to get things back on track. I had to make some changes before I ended up with health consequences that would be much more difficult to overcome.

A little earlier in life I was able to lose weight whenever I set my mind to it. If I cut back a bit, exercised more, or combined the two, I was always able to drop some pounds and keep things in check. However, after several years of working long hours on the road, living off of fast food and, eating too much and often too late for my own good, I began to find that the old standbys didn’t work anymore. The scale was only moving in one direction.

I could feel how much the extra pounds were starting to affect my well-being and ability to function at, both at work and at home. My blood pressure was elevated and suspected that insulin resistance was a big issue. I had seen a few ads for Calibrate online and had even taken a look around the site a couple of times, but after hitting that high weight, I decided that it was time to do more than look. I needed a kickstart to get me moving in the right direction and it looked like just the thing.

What attracted me to Calibrate was the multi-faceted approach. I’ve tried typical diet and lifestyle changes with little to no success in recent years, but Calibrate combined lab work, meeting with a doctor, and prescription medication to help get my blood sugar back in line with a diet approach that didn’t require a riding system of counting calories or points. I wasn’t sure about the necessity of having a coach going in, but I was game to try that, as well.

While I liked the way Calibrate was set up, I was a little skeptical of how I would do when I first got the packet with all of the literature and looked over the food triangles. It seemed like that level of dietary change would be overwhelming. However, while waiting to get my labs scheduled, I slowly started taking the advice in the literature. I began paying more attention to labels on the food I typically eat and replacing some of them that I found were loaded with empty carbs, preservatives and synthetic sweeteners. The more I eased into this new way of looking at food, the easier I found it was for me to follow.

I think that slow and steady approach is one of the best aspects of Calibrate and what has made it work for me. The medications were introduced in stages. The changes have come gradually over weeks and months. I found that the different steps of altering my diet, improving my sleep, working on stress levels and exercising more all built on each other in a way that felt natural and lead to success.

It turned out that having a coach was a bigger part of that process than I expected. Even though I wasn’t sure about having a coach before getting starting, working with Alyssa has definitely changed my mind. She’s been a positive and reassuring guide through the Calibrate program. She has answered all my questions and helped to keep me on track with lots of encouragement. It’s good to have that accountability, especially when there’s such a positive focus to it.

I’ve now reached the six month mark of my Calibrate journey and I feel better than I have in a long time. I’ve lost almost 60 pounds, which is honestly a lot more than I expected going into this. I have more energy at work and at home. More importantly, my blood sugar seems to be sorted out and my blood pressure has returned to normal levels that I haven’t seen in over a decade. As good as the weight loss feels, these positive impacts on my overall health are what have me singing this program’s praises.

One of the aspects I most appreciate about Calibrate at this point is that it feels sustainable. The changes that I have made have worked as well or better than advertised and feel like I will be able to continue them going forward to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I’ve done the typical diet and quick-fix thing before and I know what that feels like. Calibrate is something completely different and I’m so glad I found it.

Calibrate response

Hi James, thank you for taking the time to share why you decided to start with Calibrate and your experience with our program thus far. We really appreciate your thoughtful feedback, and we're grateful to have you as part of the Calibrate community.

Original review: April 17, 2022

I have struggled with my weight my entire life, and have lost/regained 50+ pounds several times prior to Calibrate. I can lose weight with white-knuckled will-power, but have never been able to keep it off. I've learned that rigid weight loss programs are ultimately unsustainable. In July 2021, I was at my highest weight ever and felt utterly hopeless. I had come to the conclusion that I was ultimately a failure, and that staying at nearly 300lbs was healthier than yo-yo-dieting. Then I came across an ad for Calibrate on social, and although I was highly skeptical I decided to at least read about it.

I was initially drawn to the fact that the program is grounded in real, legitimate, scientific research, and treats Obesity like a medical condition, not a personal failure. I also liked that the panel of experts who inform the program are real medical professionals with expertise in the treatment of Obesity - not "lifestyle influencers" selling books or supplements. The year long program, which is built around 4 pillars of metabolic health - nutrition, exercise, sleep and emotional health - resonated with me, and aligned with my own experience. I'd learned through my own efforts that focusing just on food or exercise is not enough to achieve lasting weight loss. Add in the Physician guided medical treatment and the bi-weekly coaching, and Calibrate seemed like a thoughtfully designed program that covered all the bases. I decided to give it a shot.

I liked that my first step was to review my bloodwork with a Physician. She spent nearly an hour listening to my history, educating me on the health risks I was facing, and answering questions about the medication I would be taking. She was both compassionate and straightforward. It was a huge wake-up call, and hard to hear, but exactly what I needed.

I am now 8 months into the program, and have lost 80lbs, or 28% of my starting body weight. My labs and blood pressure have all returned to "normal" ranges. I feel better than I ever have in my entire life. Unlike all of those times I'd lost weight before, I don't feel like I'm "dieting." I have gradually, with the help of my coach, incorporated small changes which have added up to become a completely different lifestyle that still feels effortless to maintain. For the first time ever, I have a healthy, balanced relationship with food and exercise. I am ridiculously active, and feel like a whole new world has been opened up to me.

I have found a safe and supportive community within Calibrate, where I can be truly honest about my struggles and celebrate my successes. When my 1-year is complete, I plan on enrolling in their Graduate program to maintain my weight loss, stay connected to my coach for accountability, and remain focused on my long-term goals. Calibrate has quite literally given me my life back, and I am forever grateful.

Calibrate response

Hi Anna, we are so happy to hear you've had success with our program and found a safe and supportive community within Calibrate.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

Well I’m a month away from my one year anniversary and 55 lbs less of me than last year at this time! Along with Calibrate and my Coach Hanna I’ve made huge strides. I look forward to joining masters next month and continuing my journey of a healthier lifestyle and better choices. I couldn’t have done it without both and I’m not through yet.

Calibrate response

Hi Jay, we really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Calibrate. We are so happy to hear that you’re continuing with Calibrate Masters.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

Love working with my Coach Sabrina. She pushes me to strive for better and knows my numbers better than I do. She challenges me and keeps me accountable. I have lost weight with the program and have learned new ways to incorporate and make a lifestyle change.

Calibrate response

Hi Natasha, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. We are so happy to hear you are enjoying the coaching element of our program.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

I have struggled most of my life with being overweight and confidence. I have been unhappy for years with how I looked and felt. Then I heard about Calibrate. Being open to trying it out I found there was a structure in place to help me lose weight but also help in other parts of my life. I found that it wasn’t just about losing weight, the program is about improving all areas of my life. Working with my coach I have seen improvements in all areas including being more patient with my kids, taking mindful time, sleeping routine, and nutrition.

I was always a believer in being on a strict diet is the only way to lose weight. I was the all-or-nothing dieter. The weight would come off but I would bounce right back after I hit a certain weight. Now I realize it’s about moderation and it’s ok to have things you love to eat but plan for it and it’s all about moderation and being aware of how much of those things you eat. I recommend Calibrate to anyone who struggles to keep weight off and stay off. Also, to those who just aren’t the healthiest version of themselves.

Calibrate response

Hi Nick, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Calibrate. We are thrilled to hear that you'd recommend our program. Thanks for being in it together with us.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

The Dr portal works well for me. The coaching has been going great. My coach is able to personalize the program for me. Between the coaching and medicine, I have lost half the weight I need to lose so far. I am 6 months in.

Calibrate response

Hi Lisa, we are so happy to hear that you’re enjoying the Calibrate program. We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

Overall I am happy with my experience with Calibrate. The medication and lifestyle changes have had a tremendous impact on my quality of life. My coach Julie has been wonderful. The area where I think Calibrate can improve is with messaging and making sure meds are refilled on time.

Calibrate response

Hi Denise, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’re thrilled to hear you’re having a positive experience with our 1:1 biweekly coaching. We are working hard to make improvements to medication and response wait times, and we appreciate you being in it together with us.

Calibrate Company Information