Zinus, Inc
1.79/5

Need a good mattress?

Zinus, Inc

Founded in 1979, Zinus began as an outdoor products company that focused on comfort-oriented furniture, tents and more. Since 2003, Zinus has shifted their focus to indoor products with comfort being top of mind. Mattresses and mattress foundations are Zinus’ specialty. Zinus offers a large assortment of well-designed products for customers at affordable prices. Our goal is to deliver the worlds finest sleep products for everyone’s lifestyle. Are you ready to sleep better? Visit our website today!

287 Zinus, Inc Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I purchased a mattress from Zinus the early part of this year. Overall, customer service and delivery was fine. No issues. The comments about the odor are spot on. I followed the directions to let the mattress air out because of the compressed gas which helped some, however I added some dryer sheets to the head of the bed under my mattress cover to help the odor dissipate. The issue for me is the comfort level. Mattress is way too firm and I was in such pain that I had to stop sleeping on the mattress. Couldn't donate it as customer rep stated to get refund so it's in my guest room for now. Since purchased a mattress 5x the price but a good night's sleep and my back is worth it! Lesson learned. If your preference is a more traditional mattress, then this mattress is not for you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Zinus' customer service is a joke. An assemble-it-yourself furniture company who can't supply the individual parts required for assembly to a customer after they shipped the product out with those products missing? I'm not talking screws you can easily replace at the hardware store, I am talking actual pieces of the furniture item. The person I spoke with on their customer service line just kept repeating there was nothing they could do, that I'd need to go back through the sales website they sell through's returns to send it back for a refund.

In essence, I was told to play "phone tag" between two customer service lines, neither of which could assume responsibility. Now at my great inconvenience, I am re-packing the entire bedframe I ordered, scheduling with a family member whose vehicle is large enough to take it to the postal service dropoff location, and being force to re-arrange my busy schedule because of their failure as a company to provide four assembly parts! I'd say buy at your own risk, because if there is an issue like this, there is no support available through Zinus. I cannot believe a company can't ship out the four missing brackets which hold the frame together which were missing from the package.

I am done with Zinus (for their total lack of support in not providing the missing pieces to a customer who has bought their products several times in the past) and with their relationship with the sales website I purchased their product through (for advertising a 'like new' complete product but delivering me half a bedframe then forcing me to return it at my inconvenience). I guess some "deals" should be passed up! They should reconsider who sells their products and how they package them, and at least make it easy on the customer. This is now my problem when it should be theirs. There was nothing wrong with the product, I just wish they had sent all of it. Makes me uneasy to ever order their items again or recommend to others.

I've had luck with their products in the past, but not since having to return a whole (and huge) item because somewhere between Zinus, their suppliers, their sellers, and my door, four parts were lost. And then to be told to talk to someone else, and that nothing can be done? I really hope they make a change in how they handle these sorts of issues from a customer support and distribution standpoint.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I was anxious after reading comments about chemical odors, since my daughter has seizures triggered by almost anything. On opening there was new product odor not unlike other items I've encountered. I aired the mattresses for maybe three days in an enclosed room, with a fan on sometimes the first couple days. The odor was pretty faint by the time I enclosed them in waterproof covers we bought, which we use for hygiene reasons and against cat fleas. In the last four months I've opened my mattress covers to check if they were indeed waterproof on three or more occasions, and I noticed the mattresses themselves had no odor. They are great and I appreciate the courteous treatment we've received from Zinus!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

On July 30, 2018 I purchased the Zinus 12" Full Green Tea Memory Foam Pressure Relief Mattress for $243 via the Zinus website. The online order and delivery process went fine. The mattress arrived compressed and within a sealed plastic bag to keep its compressed form. I opened the bag and the mattress decompressed into the full mattress size. I noticed a foul odor coming from the mattress but thought that it was simply due to shipping or the memory foam smell. I slept on the mattress 1 night and noticed that the smell hadn't dissipated. It smells really bad and my entire apartment smells of mold and mildew because of this mattress.

I then looked online for other consumer reviews of this mattress and noticed other people who purchased the same mattress also noticed the strong mildew and mold smell. I called Zinus 3 times and left 3 different voicemail messages for them to return my call and to process my refund and/or replacement. Zinus customer service never answered their line NOR did they return any of my 3 voicemails. Long story short... do not order any Zinus products. They literally sent me mattress that smells like mildew and mold worth $243. I am now at a loss of $243. Zinus customer service does not answer the phone and they do not return voicemails. Do not waste your time or money.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I ordered a mattress and box spring from Zinus. I kept checking the status of my order online and noticed that the status was not changing as days passed. The system showed a printed label status for 3 days. Once I finally received a delivery date, I made arrangements to be home on the day of delivery. The night before my delivery I received a message stating that my delivery would be delayed by another 5 days. This was a huge inconvenience because I had family coming to visit. I tried contacting Zinus via phone, email, Twitter and online request forms. They never responded to my request for assistance.

I finally filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Only after filming a complaint did I finally receive an email follow up. There was no phone call, no apology or anything resembling customer resolution. Just “we cannot cancel your order after it’s been shipped. We will refund you once you call to arrange return with Fedex”. I will never do business with this company again. Their customer service is terrible. You’d be better off going with Casper or by visiting a brick and mortar store to purchase your items. I now what to return this order that I requested be canceled before it was delivered. Incredible. Extra unhappy with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zinus?

Original review: July 27, 2018

I ordered a mattress and platform bed on 6/4/18. I received the mattress in a timely fashion, but to this day - almost 8 weeks later - I still have not received the platform bed. I can't even begin to tell you how many emails have gone back and forth, they keep asking me for the same information that I've already provided multiple times. 3-1/2 weeks ago I even spoke with a Zinus rep on the phone that a FedEx person did a 3-way call because I was getting nowhere with the emails. Still no bed has been delivered. To this day they are saying it was delivered and that I need to provide a FedEx Case ID # and an invoice, of which I've sent to them at least 2X, probably 3X. They now say they will refund my money, but it will take 2-3 business days to process. I really don't have much confidence in seeing my money refunded. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I think Michael J. Breus Ph.D. should be contacted about his bad advice about Zinus Mattresses. I purchased a 12" -- suppose to be plush -- Order # **. I called and talked to someone because the bed had two boxes and you could get it in either FIRM or PLUSH. I told them I could not check the plush box and they assured me I would get the PLUSH. The bed is so FIRM I cannot sleep on it. I have osteopenia and my couch sleeps better than the bed. I ordered it through Amazon believing that Michael J. Breus, Ph D would not be used by you if he was not credible. Now I am stuck with bad bed and no sleep and no money to order another bed. You need to quit using his advice as I feel he is in it for kickback from Zinus. And you need to make Zinus give the people they have wronged the bed they describe and refund everyone if they can't. They should be closed down.

Original review: July 17, 2018

12 inch King Cooling Gel Memory Foam: I took a risk of this company seeing many negative reviews but also having 2 family members that had a good experience. First of all, it takes a week or so to receive their product as FedEx does not pick it up right away and you will see that a shipping label has been created for several days. Upon receiving the mattress, I opened the box and plastic just a bit to see if it reeked of mildew as others have complained and found it was a chemical smell similar to wet paint. It has now been 4 days and the off gassing did tend to smell like mildew but upon smelling the mattress, it was just the off gassing thankfully and is nearly gone.

You will need to help with the off gassing by walking and jumping on it, opening windows and leaving the fan on and remember to turn it on its side as a good majority of the smell came from the bottom. I have slept on it and my boyfriend and I have had a great night's sleep and love this mattress. I never had to deal with customer service so I can't comment there but please understand that negative reviews are always around, but you need to focus on the quality of those reviews and find ways to prepare for a similar circumstance.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I never thought that a bed in a box would be a good mattress. This mattress has exceeded my expectations and this mattress is great. I could not believe but I would end up getting a good night sleep and my back doesn't hurt anymore. Sleeping on this mattress is firm yet soft. I'm a large woman and the springs hold up very well. I would recommend this mattress that is sold by Walmart to anyone, especially for the price...

Original review: June 2, 2018

I ordered a king Zinus bed mattress from Amazon. When I received it, the pamphlet said that it may have a distinct odor, being that it was from a box and vacuum sealed. I smelled a distinct MILDEW odor immediately. I brushed it off as the odor that the pamphlet had mentioned. One week later, I have a brand new MILDEWED mattress and I can’t sleep in my room. It is awful. Amazon did refund my money with no problems. I googled the brand of mattress and found that there are MANY complaints just like mine. Buyer beware.

Original review: May 31, 2018

It sleeps ok at first. After a few months it sleeps awful. I have tried other sizes with the same results. I am disappointed. It is a cheap brand. I don't recommend it.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Other than the memory foam is very firm I like it. Need to get a foam mattress cover. It was a very affordable price on Amazon and easy to set up. I would recommend it for anyone who likes a firm mattress.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I've never written one of these but based on my experience with this company directly, I figured I should. I was looking for a good bargain on a new mattress. I ordered a king sized 8 inch memory foam mattress for 130, the shipping was free. The next day; on 4/24, I received an email confirming the shipment for the order. It wasn't until Monday the 28th that I gave them a call regarding the shipment status of my purchase.

It still said that the shipping label was made but it was not on its way. I gave the company a call and when speaking to a representative she stated that she had contacted the shipping department and that she had to remind them to ship out my order because it should've been shipped out days prior. I also asked the representative when I should expect my order to be delivered. She said it should be delivered between Wednesday and Thursday. Thursday being the latest. Comes Wednesday and my shipping tracker still said the same thing, there was no progress.

So I gave them a call once again and the representative stated that there was an issue with FedEx scanning the orders into the system and customers being able to track their orders from Zinus. She said I was not the only one having this issue. I then asked if it was going to arrive that day or the following. She told me that the product should be delivered by the next day, the same as the previous person I spoke to. It is now Friday and I have yet to receive my package. I am able to now track my package and it is stating that it should arrive on Saturday by end of day.

I am very disappointed that the people I had spoken to assured me that my order was going to arrive by Thursday end of day and now I have to wait until Saturday. I guess it's not that bad if you have a mattress that you're sleeping on right now and you're just waiting for the new one to arrive. But in my case I moved to my apartment on 05/1 expecting my mattress to get here by then or maybe the day after.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I ordered 2 full size mattresses from Zinus. I opened upon receipt. Both reeked of a mold, wet dirt smell. Assuming it was off-gassing, I allowed them to air out for a few days, the smell never dissipated and triggered an allergic reaction in 2 of my family members who have mold allergies. I contacted Sam's club.com where I ordered the mattresses in which they sent 2 new replacement mattresses, which also have the same smell. I reached back out to Sam's advised of the issue, requested a pick up of the mattresses as well as a refund. I am now 3 weeks into this issue and still no pickup. I am unable to get a refund until these contaminated mattresses are retrieved. I advised Sam's you cannot repackage and resell these mattresses as something is seriously wrong with them. My house smells of mold and dirt due to these mattresses and for 3 weeks I have gotten the runaround that various carriers are picking them up.

Sam's reached out to Zinus, who sends a generic email advising me to go back to Sam's Club to handle. Sam's submits another ticket, First carrier was supposed to be MSD, no call/no show. Next, was to be Pilot, no call/no show, then FedEx who did come but will NOT take open mattresses and since they were cryovaced there is no way we are able to fit back in box. Now, we are back with Sam's looking to get MSD again. Still waiting and aside from my family members have a serious reaction our house now smells of mold and wet dirt due to the mattresses. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! Read every recent review as these are also being sold on other websites including Amazon where there are numerous complaints such as mine. Do not waste your money!

Original review: April 7, 2018

I ordered the 13 inch Pressure Relief Euro Top, Pocketed iCoil Hybrid Mattress. The product is described as a "plush feel". I don't think that is an accurate descriptor; the springs in the mattress are very firm, and this is one of the firmest mattresses I have slept on in my lifetime. My primary reason for the poor review has been my experience with Zinus customer service. I decided to return the mattress and emailed Zinus for return authorization. It took customer service over a week to respond. I followed the return instructions (They asked me to donate the mattress and furnish a receipt of the donation). I furnished these documents on March 9th.

It's now April 7th, and I haven't received any response from customer service (or a refund), despite several follow-up emails. When I call customer service, I am routed to an answering machine. I just filed a dispute with my credit card company. I also left a negative review on the Zinus web site, but the web site moderator did not approve the review. All of the reviews on the Zinus website are 5 stars, and now I understand why!

Original review: March 21, 2018

I ordered a mattress in January and it was a little too firm, and wanted to exchange or return the item. I have called and left 4 messages, sent multiple emails, and filled out return forms on their site 3x. No contact beyond an email saying they were having computer issues after my second contact. Still no resolution or response. Completely unsatisfied.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I was looking up reviews online for Zinus beds when I came across this site. I had already ordered my bed from the Zinus website and got SUPER nervous after reading all of the horror stories with customer service, shipping and reading reviews saying the company is a scam! I'm here to tell you that I had a great experience with Zinus!

I ordered the queen 12 inch memory foam bed for around 185$. (CHEAP RIGHT?) The price already made me nervous but my current bed was hurting my back so I needed something else. The bed came in about 2 weeks in perfect condition. Last time I measured it came up to around 11 inches or so... and it smelled good! The mattress was such a good price I'm not going to complain if it didn't get up to the 12 inches, nor am I going to measure again because the bed is SO COMFY. I really don't care. I don't have back issues anymore and I sleep all the way through the night. I got a microfiber 2 inch mattress pad so I wouldn't sweat on the memory foam and I sleep like a baby on a cloud. I'd recommend Zinus to anyone! Paying 900 plus dollars for a bed is outrageous, in my opinion.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Spent $250.00 CAD + tax on an 8" Green Tea Foam Mattress that never got passed 6.25". The company Zinus never answers their customer service phone (800 613-1225) but has stupid greetings try to make you feel as if they cared. Completely ignored 3 voicemail messages and 1 email we sent, just to try to find out if we received the wrong product, or if the product is faulty... DO NOT buy from Zinus! - Thankfully we bought through Walmart and they will look after us...

Original review: March 17, 2018

Zinus 8inch memory foam mattress - I purchased this mattress at Walmart for my daughter 3 weeks ago and she has yet to sleep on it because of the horrible stench it gives off. Yes 3 weeks later it still smells and I have contacted Zinus by email and phone several times. No response from them. I have wasted 130 dollars on this mattress. The stench gets on any blanket or sheet you put over the mattress and I am so disappointed and upset. Really is a shame that people end up wasting so much money on this mattress and no one from that company can even return a call or email at the very least. I will not recommend Zinus to anyone who values their hard earned money. I would not even give them one star.

Original review: March 15, 2018

OK, I gave them a chance, between Amazon, Zinus & even the so-called Rating/Certification? Org. which is CertiPUR I believe is the proper spelling. They Certify that Products with their Certs are Safe, & Free of Harmful Chems. Well, Not True. Apparently many who Review, as well as Certify do so totally Biased, In One way or Another. Do Not go by a Few Reviews or Use one Site for enough Honest Reviews, because it's clear by now too many Products ordered over past few years, to Current Last Purchase, these Reviews & Certifications are Biased. We purchased a product, a Zinus Mattress, A Queen Sized SO-Called Green Tea, sure, that should've been My 1st Clue, but I did Not buy because of Reviews, We bought because a Couple we know DID Purchase one of these, but a few months ago.

Obviously, a Different BATCH. These Products DO Come from China, the Foam IS Cured & Does Have Chemicals even though Certipur's Certification states, they are NOT harmful. Well, after 7 Long Days & Nights, with Thankfully the ability to have an Open Window, a Turbo Fan going entire 7 days & nights, & because I am an Asthmatic, I am though NOT the only one who is bothered by this Stinky, Not Tolerable SMELL. My husband who is NOT sensitive like I am, Also today tried to Tolerate it, & said, "WELL, that's a couple hundred in the Garbage". Because that IS where it will end up, being Picked UP for what they call a Bulk Waste Pick UP by Our Sanitation Co. While it's ONLY $234 Shipping was free. Good thing, if not that would be More Money Wasted. However, to a lot of people, $234.00 is a Lot of Money, it's still a Lot of Money for US too.

Would be for anyone to just Throw Away, Literally. The Co's involved have answered not One communication, Not ONE Email, Not One Question. The more I research now, After we had this thing Delivered, the More I see they are Not Customer Service Friendly, Nor are any of the REST of the Co's involved, or the "Certification Org". Just trying to Tell People, BUYER BEWARE, Do NOT Waste Your Money Too.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I originally placed an order for a twin size mattress and a twin box spring for my daughter. I decided to go a different direction for these items and canceled my order about 15 minutes after submitting it. I reached out to Zinus at that time and told them to cancel it. Two days later, I received a shipping confirmation e-mail and told them DO NOT send these items, this order is canceled. No response. Still received the items. I have reached out several times to getting a shipping label to return these with no response. I have even left them a voicemail on the answering service, since you cannot speak to a live human. I would NEVER order anything from this company again as I am still waiting for a refund and a shipping label 3 weeks later.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I purchased a mattress and frame set through Sam's Club's website on 2/17/18. It said it’d be delivered by 2/28/18, so of course I was ecstatic. Cheap and fast delivery! I only get an email showing it was purchased. Fast forward to 2/22/18, I receive the corner covers of the bed frame. Still good, I’m trying to be home from work to make sure I’m there to receive the bed. It is 2/29/18, it says that the delivery is ‘pending’. I’ve been emailing them since and trying to call but my emails are never answered and the phone states to leave a message. No one ever picks up.

Then on 3/2/18, the rest of the frame got delivered. I check the status again and it shows that it already got full delivered. I call Sam's, and to Sam's it shows that everything was delivered on 2/22/18; when in reality only the corner covers were and then the full frame on 3/2/18. I have called Sam's Club as well, and the rep called FedEx and they state they haven’t even been given the bed so of course they can’t deliver something they haven’t received. I’m going to give them another week, if no success then I’m going to dispute through my bank.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I had specific questions about Zinus platform beds. I tried writing them. After about 3-4 days I received a form letter response saying there was a glitch in the system, when clearly my question appeared in that same email. I noticed their location is only about 1hr away from me so I called in the morning. I got a message saying to leave my number and they would call me back. It has been about a week and no call. I will not buy anything from a company that does not even respond to questions about their products.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I ordered a mattress set through Sams.com. Seemed like a good deal. Boy was I wrong!! The only thing that was delivered was the box spring. A label had been created for the mattress itself but no one can tell me why it hasn't been shipped. I received a computer generated email from Zinus saying they were investigating. No one will answer the phone or return my phone calls!! They have NO customer service!! I am 9 months pregnant and I just wanted my mattress before my baby arrived!! We are trying now to get a refund from Sam's club so that we can go out and buy a mattress. I will never never use this company again. I feel like I'm getting scammed!!

Original review: March 7, 2018

Expected my mattress and frame to be delivered on 2/14/18. I was excited to have my frame delivered a day early but it was missing pieces. I notified Zinus on 2/14/18 with no response after a week. I called and was told their email wasn't working right but I had to submit my issue via their online portal. I did this and the next day I received an answer on my original email telling me that I had to submit a copy of my invoice for proof of purchase (supplying the invoice reference # was insufficient) as well as a detailed list of missing parts (by guess only even though I had already done that).

I then received a response to my online submission about a week after that and finally... I got another response that they would send me a new frame, I could select the missing pieces, and then repackage and send back the remaining parts in a pre-paid package. Since then, nothing. I have emailed Zinus 3 more times and still I have nothing but a mattress on the floor. The mattress, by the way, is solidly average. Good price but it isn't amazing and nothing I would buy again. Very, very, unsatisfied and will never use them again. Ever.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Received bedframe after purchase which was defective. Contacted Zinus multiple times. They will not reply to my support ticket request and no one ever picks up at the customer service phone number. Getting ready to dispute the charge with my credit card company.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Ordered our mattress on 1/17. When ordered it said that the mattress would ship in 3-5 days. We got an email saying our order has processed. A couple days later we received tracking info including a FedEx tracking number. It’s been 10 days now and nothing has changed. The order never got passed the shipping label being created. Contacted customer service via email. Received a blank response. Asked for a refund. Still no response. Worst company ever.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE Experience!!! I ordered a King Mattress. I never received an email notification. A few days went by and I decided to call to find out the status of my order. They gave me a tracking number and the status of the order kept saying pending for a week. I called FedEx and they stated that the manufacturer never sent the order out. I called Zinus and they said the order went out. I called again and let me add that it takes at least 15 minutes to get someone on the phone. She had told me that they had factory issues and some orders went out and some did not. Mine did not. She said a project manager will get back to me but they are behind on their tickets.

The customer service rep wanted me to create the ticket after all of the problems I already had. I said, "I am not doing it. It is your job". I then came to my senses and said "I want a full refund." She then said, "Ok" and hung up on me. I called back and had to wait another 15 minutes. While waiting an email came through that said I was refunded $34.20 when the mattress was $342.00. I finally got the same person on the phone and they said they would issue me the remaining amount but it will take 2-3 days. I am hoping that it comes through and am quite nervous about that. Absolutely the worst experience I have had with a company in a very long time. Do not waste your time or money on them.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They will not respond to contact attempts. I ordered a mattress 13 days ago, still not shipped, still no response to my inquiries. This company is absolutely horrible. I don't just have money to go out and buy another mattress and wait to be able to get a refund for this one. It looks as though I will be sleeping on the couch for another month because of the lack of customer service and timely delivery. This company deserves to fail hard. Reported to BBB as A SCAM.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I placed an order for a mattress on Feb. 6. They removed money from my account the same day, however, I have yet to receive any email confirmation. I assumed it was a mistake so I tried emailing and calling customer support. The calls were useless. I called multiple times throughout the week, and not once was there ever an agent to take my call. Email was also useless as my question was met with an unhelpful, automated type response. I have left messages and have had no type of response. I have no type of order number, or a bed to sleep on and I doubt they will ever return my call, so I'm out on my money as well. Awful company, awful customer service. Will never order from Zinus again, nor would I ever recommend anyone use this company.

Zinus expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Founded in 1979, Zinus originally produced comfort-oriented outdoor products, including tents, sleeping bags and portable furniture. The company turned to indoor comfort products in 2003, and their innovative mattresses are available as memory foam, coil spring or hybrid memory foam and coil spring. Find Zinus beds online.

• Mattress accessories: In addition to mattresses, Zinus also manufactures and sells headboards, boxsprings, bases and frames, so you can perfectly match your mattress to your bed.

• Budget-friendly: Zinus mattresses are available for as low as $100, making them ideal for anyone who doesn’t have a lot of money to spend on their new mattress.

• Warranty: Zinus’s mattresses include a 10-year limited warranty.

• Hybrid option: There’s no reason to choose between memory foam and coil spring mattresses when you can have both. Zinus’s hybrid option fuses the two together so you can have the best of both worlds.

• Bunk bed options: Zinus’s Memory Foam five inch mattress is ideal for bunk beds and trundles. These mattresses are available in fun colors like blue and hot pink, making them a perfect fit for a kid’s bedroom.

• Best for: Zinus mattresses are best for parents and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
    Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Zinus, Inc Company Information