Zinus, Inc
1.79/5

Need a good mattress?

Zinus, Inc

Founded in 1979, Zinus began as an outdoor products company that focused on comfort-oriented furniture, tents and more. Since 2003, Zinus has shifted their focus to indoor products with comfort being top of mind. Mattresses and mattress foundations are Zinus’ specialty. Zinus offers a large assortment of well-designed products for customers at affordable prices. Our goal is to deliver the worlds finest sleep products for everyone’s lifestyle. Are you ready to sleep better? Visit our website today!

311 Zinus, Inc Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I ordered a bed frame and mattress thru Costco. It arrived on time but my room remodel wasn't done so it was stored in my garage. When I did finally get to installing the bed I was impressed by the clear instructions, ease of assembly, and quality of the product. All tools and fasteners required were included. There were no flaws in the materials. The mattress had a slight odor, which is mentioned in several other reviews, but it dissipated in a few hours, and it's winter here, windows closed. I'm a furniture engineer and appreciate well designed and manufactured product. I will recommend this to friends.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I ordered the King-sized cooling hybrid mattress (memory foam on a mini-spring base) and have been blown away by the comfort and quality of sleep I have been getting. Keep in mind I am coming from a lower quality spring mattress from one of the big American retailers, but either way I did shop around and try out a Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number at a store in our local mall. My Zinus mattress is just as good (if not better) at a fraction of the price. I think I paid about $350 after a coupon which is unheard of for a king. I could not be happier. People complaining about the smell of the green-tea mattress need to air it out for a few days LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY. The cooling mattress I purchased did not have any unpleasant smell, only that it smelled like new shoes - not a bad thing to me.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I was anxious after reading comments about chemical odors, since my daughter has seizures triggered by almost anything. On opening there was new product odor not unlike other items I've encountered. I aired the mattresses for maybe three days in an enclosed room, with a fan on sometimes the first couple days. The odor was pretty faint by the time I enclosed them in waterproof covers we bought, which we use for hygiene reasons and against cat fleas. In the last four months I've opened my mattress covers to check if they were indeed waterproof on three or more occasions, and I noticed the mattresses themselves had no odor. They are great and I appreciate the courteous treatment we've received from Zinus!

Original review: July 17, 2018

12 inch King Cooling Gel Memory Foam: I took a risk of this company seeing many negative reviews but also having 2 family members that had a good experience. First of all, it takes a week or so to receive their product as FedEx does not pick it up right away and you will see that a shipping label has been created for several days. Upon receiving the mattress, I opened the box and plastic just a bit to see if it reeked of mildew as others have complained and found it was a chemical smell similar to wet paint. It has now been 4 days and the off gassing did tend to smell like mildew but upon smelling the mattress, it was just the off gassing thankfully and is nearly gone.

You will need to help with the off gassing by walking and jumping on it, opening windows and leaving the fan on and remember to turn it on its side as a good majority of the smell came from the bottom. I have slept on it and my boyfriend and I have had a great night's sleep and love this mattress. I never had to deal with customer service so I can't comment there but please understand that negative reviews are always around, but you need to focus on the quality of those reviews and find ways to prepare for a similar circumstance.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I never thought that a bed in a box would be a good mattress. This mattress has exceeded my expectations and this mattress is great. I could not believe but I would end up getting a good night sleep and my back doesn't hurt anymore. Sleeping on this mattress is firm yet soft. I'm a large woman and the springs hold up very well. I would recommend this mattress that is sold by Walmart to anyone, especially for the price...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zinus?

Original review: April 30, 2019

I bought one Mattress and my name was actually chosen to receive a product of my choosing. I chose another mattress for my daughter and son in law. After a few weeks my son in law is in pain from it being too soft. The old bed is long gone. Zinus and their touted fabulous Warranty/Exchange is not available because I won the product. Even though the product is unacceptable. I wish I had read all these nightmare reviews prior to ever getting involved with this Company. DO NOT BUY FROM ZINUS.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Extremely disappointed. Bought the mattress, and in time, it is bent in the middle like no-one´s business. I went through the process, and it turns out that they say "they don´t want to provide me a shorter warranty period than the 10 years they offer." The label in the mattress states that it was made in November 2013. Therefore it is under warranty. But it is defective. But they "cannot" award the warranty. I have no way of finding the proof of purchase and the seller has even provided a statement that they cannot go back the 4 years that we need to process the replacement. I am not asking for money back. After a month of back and forths. So they don´t want to provide me "a shorter warranty than I deserve". They just refuse to provide any warranty at all. And they call this customer service?

Original review: April 16, 2019

I bought a Zinus mattress to go in my couch. The price was only like 99 dollars. It has great support and no springs and is cool and not hot. It also folds up into the couch nicely. I would recomend.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I really think I made a terrific choice in buying two of these mattresses. This mattress is comfortable and sturdy. I have had it three months and only in cold weather but it seems to be temperature pleasant!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Ordered a twin mattress from this company on 2/20/2018. By 3/14/2019 they still had not shipped my bed and were not responding to calls or emails. I finally received my bed on 3/28/2018, they never returned my calls or emails. Mattress that arrived was a queen, not a twin like I ordered. Between 3/29/2018 and 5/9/2019 I made multiple calls and send many emails before they finally replied and sent me a return form. Returned the bed and finally got a refund by 5/11/2019. 79 days. SEVENTY NINE DAYS I was waiting on this, still needing a bed the whole time. This company is TRASH.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Bought a mattress from Zinus two years ago, and it started to sag earlier this year. Contacted Zinus, and Zinus refused to honor the warranty. What a horrible company! Stay away from Zinus! They suck!!

Original review: March 2, 2019

Do yourselves a favor and don't order from Zinus website! You can get their products elsewhere, even cheaper and immediate delivery or pick up in Walmart for example. I made my order on Thursday Feb 21. Only after ordering I read in the email that shipment will take 7 to 10 days and had seen the same platform at Walmart.

So 2 days later seeing that the order status hadn't changed, I contacted customer service email. Then they magically provide a FedEx label, which only after contacting them appeared in my order account. Anyway, I couldn't cancel order because the label had been created, though there has never been any shipment history in 10 days!!! I have written to customer service a couple times about this issue and they keep redirecting me to this FedEx label number as if the order is indeed about to be shipped. They said it will take 1 to 3 business days for them to scan. Well it's now 10 days, 7 business days and nothing has changed.

This was the first time I ordered from zinus and it's my last for sure! I have no idea if I'll ever received this frame and customer service hasn't helped at all even though I contacted them early. Without any chance to cancel my order, but no platform to put my new mattress on, I have to now spend twice the money to buy a platform locally.

Original review: March 1, 2019

So four days ago bought a Slumber One mattress coil pressure relief. Ya right this is the worst mattress I have ever bought. I literally can not even sleep on it so I called them to try and get a return. "Oh you must take it back to where you purchased it." So I call and try to tell them what Zinus said and they will not return it even though it has not even been slept on. It has been out of the box. Yet their website states you can return within 100 days. Nope sorry. You must return to where you purchased. Well they won't accept it so now I am out 225 dollars because you are out here scamming people for the worst mattress ever. Kinda pissed off and I will never buy your product again and I will be telling as many people as I possibly can about this issue.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Beware this mattress! My 3 year granddaughter was playing on the bed and started complaining of hurting all over. Look initially looked like she was getting a rapidly spreading rash. On closer inspection I could see something shiny covering her whole body. Looked at the mattress and it was covering the whole bed! Looked at the label on the mattress and it says 64% glass fiber. I can't believe it's even legal to sell this product!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

The Zinus return policy states, on their website, that the mattress can be returned within 100 days for a full return as long as there are no smells, stains, etc. There is a bolded sentence that states you have to contact them about a mattress that has been decompressed. It turns out, once you take it out of the box, they will not take it back. You have to find a place to donate it to and then send the donation receipt. While this seems like a environmentally friendly idea, there are very few (I haven't found any in my area) places that accept mattresses as a donation. The other option is to throw it into a garbage bin and take a picture of it in the bin to prove that you no longer have it in your possession. I wanted to post a free ad on Craigslist or other website and take a picture of it being driven off by a community member but that was not an option. This is just poor service. Bottom line, if you want to return the mattress, don't take it out of the box.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I bought this Zinus mattress because of the warranty. I purchased in my local store. When I arrived home unpacked it. Let it rise for the full 72 hours. Didn't rise all the way has unleveling throughout the mattress & is killing my back! Walmart won't take it back because it was opened & used. Zinus has been a nightmare .I sent the pictures now including this morning. 4X my phone carrier even sent them and said they received them. I just want my money back which is one of the options. (01/14/19) date of purchase.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

The warranty is only a gimmick! I have been satisfied with my mattress for the last 10 months that I’ve owned it. However, recently I vacuumed the top pad with a light duty hand vac and it started to suck threads out of the mattress. Not just a few but long 4 foot strings. Looking closer I could see the thread surfacing all over the mattress in places I hadn’t touched with the vacuum. So I contacted Customer Support (which I have never done on any product before. The first response was to recommend a warranty claim. So I followed their lead and filed a support ticket, In it, I described in detail what I saw and gave my opinion that it was a manufacturing flaw that could just be batch related. I attached pictures of the issue. After a week this was my response;

“Thank you for contacting Zinus. For cleaning purposes, we recommend spot cleaning the cover with cold water and light detergent. Using a vacuum is not recommended as it can cause damage. For this reason unfortunately this is not covered by warranty." Honestly, I wasn’t fishing for a new mattress, I was just wanting an explanation about how a product 10 months old was literally falling apart when I lightly hand vacuumed it. I have a one bedroom apartment, exchanging that mattress would create more of a headache anyway. However, the response I got was a short, insensitive, and legal one regarding my dilemma and NOT one that should come from “customer service”.

I mean this is a clear issue. If the mattress is so fragile that running a hand vac over it destroys it speaks volumes about the quality. Granted washing it, I would use light soap as they instructed, but just getting the dust and dander off of it with a hand vacuum not a full-sized one, shouldn’t damage it... Certainly not the way I witnessed. It goes without saying, That I am very disappointed, since I chose to go with the underdog in buying this mattress in the first place. I personally would recommend going with some of the more reputable manufacturers as I hear they stand by their warranties... More than likely because their product doesn’t fail like Zinus’s did for me. Buyer be very very wary!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I purchased a bed from Zinus on Amazon in August. Two weeks after assembling the bed, I notice how poorly the materials have been machined. The three center support legs were poorly designed and could not properly hold the weight of two adults (less than 325 lbs) without loosening up due to a lack of support at the connection point. The bed dug into and permanently scarred my bamboo floors because the legs were angled during normal use. I rent my home, so now I will be out a security deposit, and a hefty one at that. Naturally, I went to get a refund and/ or replacement for the bed. Zinus answered me promptly at first, but when I provided proof of purchase they ghosted me. Two weeks pass, and at this point the legs at the foot of the bed literally snap, leaving the bed at 45 degree angle.

At this point, I'm sleeping on the couch and contacting Zinus daily with no response. I decide to reach out to Amazon for help. They send out a replacement and demand that I disassemble and box up the other bed to have sent back. This is incredibly inconvenient as the bed is 80 lbs and 10 feet long when boxed and I did not have the materials lying around to complete this task. So I go through with all of it. Source a box, take it apart. In the process my stereo was damaged beyond repair. Technically my fault, but 100% related to me having to take this cumbersome, heavy bed apart to return a frame that has snapped in half...felt unnecessary to have to send it in, but I wanted to play ball so I could get the customer service I expected.

Literally the day after I receive my replacement from Amazon, I hear back from Zinus and they say they're sending a replacement. I told them to cancel it, they said they couldn't, but that I could deny the package when it arrives. So I take a vacation day to intercept and deny the package. The package shows up a day late. I lost a vacation day based on their poor timing and problem solving. Meanwhile, Amazon sent UPS to pick up my return way earlier than they said they would and so I miss my window for the return pick up. So now I've got two massive boxes on my porch; one incoming, one outgoing. My house is so small that this was a big deal for my roommate and neighbors, not to mention myself.

Zinus asks me to send the outgoing package to them direct and they'll refund me for the bed. I do this and now they're stiffing me, refusing to refund me. This customer service team is the epitome of poor online buying experiences. No storefront to drive the bed to and just get it all over with. This process has taken over a month and a half and I have still not received my refund and I'm giving up. I can't put into words how frustrating this entire experience has been and how much stress it has introduced into my life.

I've spent hours on the phone, on customer service chats and dissembling and assembling this awful product. None of my qualms have been resolved in one or two correspondences. It is literally work to deal with this people. I highly recommend avoiding this company. They make poor to mediocre products and they do not have the infrastructure to take care of their customers when the inevitable happens and your product breaks or isn't what you expected. I'm giving the company's customer service a 1 star review, however, the product I purchased also gets 1 star due to the IKEA-like lack of quality. Poorly made, built to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We purchased this and opened it to expand. We smelled the chemical smell, but thought it would clear up. 2 weeks later my daughter can't sleep on the mattress nor in the room that it is in. She has complained of headaches and this morning, had to go the E.R. for a breathing treatment which may have been triggered by the smell. I'm taking this back. I'm curious and very concerned about what that strange smell is.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

This memory foam mattress I purchased on Walmart.com for my new apartment immediately emitted an overwhelming chemical smell when released from its plastic packaging. The chemical release with odor ended up lasting for over SIX weeks even with windows open. I had sharp headaches, chest pain and my first ever bright red, peeling eye rashes with extreme swelling early mornings each time I tried to sleep on this mattress. I still had access to the studio I was moving out of, and had to sleep there for the entire month. Repackaging the product for Return is not possible, as it comes pressure sealed.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I've purchased 2 items from them in the past, a bed frame and mattress, and they're decent quality for the price. Happy with the purchase overall. Ordered a couch as well but decided to cancel the order. The issues come when it's time to talk to customer service. I cancelled the 3rd item I purchased from them 3 days before it was set to ship out. They decided to ship it out anyways. Told me to refuse the shipment when it arrived and I would be refunded as soon as they confirmed it was heading back their way. Instead of waiting days for it to arrive from the other side of the country, I called FedEx and was able to refuse delivery before it even arrived at their delivery center. FedEx immediately emailed Zinus about the item returning to them. Zinus took 2 days to 'confirm' (finally look at the email and call to confirm) that the item was indeed returning.

Don't give them too much credit, I called them and refused to let it go until they contacted FedEx directly. They now said a refund has been initiated, and funds will be back in my account in 2-3 business days. That was a full week ago. Thankfully I had email confirmation of that refund promise. Called once more to ask why I haven't seen the funds: "we'll have to submit your refund request to management for approval once we receive the item". Refused to acknowledge promised refund from previous discussion. Would not email me to give me a paper-trail of them submitting the (2nd) refund request or doing anything at all. Sent them one last strongly worded email describing everything, stating my intent to issue a charge-back in a week if they do nothing. Somehow I doubt I'll be able to get a dime from them without a charge-back.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

It's less than a year that my husband and I have been sleeping on this 12" foam mattress. Odor not bad upon opening and comfortable at first. Now 9 months later I'm waking up with backache and rolling into the middle of bed. The mattress has been turned around with no difference in sleep. My husband gets up during the night due to heat and sleeps on a 15 year old mattress in another room. Sorry we purchased this foam mattress.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Here my history. I bought this Zinus Memory Foam mattress 12" on December 8th and was delivered by FedEx on December 19. My first red flag: The package was sended by Amazon RETURN CENTER (Can I assume was a product returned by somebody else?). Second red flag: The package was in a terrible condition. Third red flag: After opened the box and decompressed the mattress, came out a terrible odor and it smells really bad. My entire apartment smells of mold and mildew because of this mattress. I have almost a month (01/02/2019) and after several calls to Amazon finally they gonna pick up the mattress tomorrow. The mattress never took the size that suppose to be (12") and the mildew odor still terrible at home. Finally I'm really surprised Amazon still selling this brand. I wished read all reviews on a different websites before entering to this nightmare. I think Zinus should be investigate under The Consumer Protection Act.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I ordered a mattress during Zinus's Black Friday sale. I understand they got a higher volume of orders than they expected and shipping is taking long. BUT FedEx lost my package. Dealing with FedEx and Zinus has been a nightmare. In mid December I emailed Zinus after my order was a week past the delivery date with no tracking updates. That first customer service representative told me a new order would be sent to me and a new tracking number would be sent. After not getting a tracking number after 3 business days all my emails went unanswered.

The following week I left voicemails after calling. None were returned. One call when I actually got through. That customer service rep told me there'd be nothing she could do until December 28th because that was 15 business days after my package stopped tracking. WTF. Who counts shipping days from when a problem occurs and not from when the package left the warehouse?

I sent another email the following week and that customer service rep told me FedEx lost my package and they'd be sending out a new one and that I'd get the new tracking number sent to me in 3 business days tops. Now it's past three business days and again I have no tracking number. No one is returning my calls, picking up the phone, or returning my emails. Their customer service is a nightmare, there's a reason other mattresses of the same type cost more. It's probably because they pay and staff a competent customer service team.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I ordered a king size bed from the company on November 29th. I have yet to receive it and today is December 20th. My credit card was charged. Every time I ask about my bed I'm told someone will email me. Now I think they've changed the settings so that whenever I call, their system requests that I leave a message. I did email their customer service department twice, as instructed on their website and during my 20 and 30 minute hold times, but I have yet to receive an email back. Please do not order from this company.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Very bad customer service and it's been more than 20 days I did not receive the king bed frame order. They keep on telling that upper management will revert back to me regarding the order and still no reply and I get the answer every time. It's cheap on their site otherwise I would never ever buy from them.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have had the green tea foam mattress for 6 days now. Upon opening it there was hair and seeds in the mattress. No big deal. I take it outside - I let it air out for two days then I bring it inside and let it air out for two more days. My house still smells terrible and now my son won't even sleep on it so we have a useless mattress now. I have regret purchasing this. I wish I would have read the reviews first. My bad. Big mistake - big big mistake. I hope this review could save someone else from the big mistake that I made. Please do not buy this mattress. Spend a couple extra dollars more and buy an American-made mattress that does not smell this bad for I have many family members that have foam mattresses don't smell this bad.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I purchased a mattress from Zinus the early part of this year. Overall, customer service and delivery was fine. No issues. The comments about the odor are spot on. I followed the directions to let the mattress air out because of the compressed gas which helped some, however I added some dryer sheets to the head of the bed under my mattress cover to help the odor dissipate. The issue for me is the comfort level. Mattress is way too firm and I was in such pain that I had to stop sleeping on the mattress. Couldn't donate it as customer rep stated to get refund so it's in my guest room for now. Since purchased a mattress 5x the price but a good night's sleep and my back is worth it! Lesson learned. If your preference is a more traditional mattress, then this mattress is not for you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Zinus' customer service is a joke. An assemble-it-yourself furniture company who can't supply the individual parts required for assembly to a customer after they shipped the product out with those products missing? I'm not talking screws you can easily replace at the hardware store, I am talking actual pieces of the furniture item. The person I spoke with on their customer service line just kept repeating there was nothing they could do, that I'd need to go back through the sales website they sell through's returns to send it back for a refund.

In essence, I was told to play "phone tag" between two customer service lines, neither of which could assume responsibility. Now at my great inconvenience, I am re-packing the entire bedframe I ordered, scheduling with a family member whose vehicle is large enough to take it to the postal service dropoff location, and being force to re-arrange my busy schedule because of their failure as a company to provide four assembly parts! I'd say buy at your own risk, because if there is an issue like this, there is no support available through Zinus. I cannot believe a company can't ship out the four missing brackets which hold the frame together which were missing from the package.

I am done with Zinus (for their total lack of support in not providing the missing pieces to a customer who has bought their products several times in the past) and with their relationship with the sales website I purchased their product through (for advertising a 'like new' complete product but delivering me half a bedframe then forcing me to return it at my inconvenience). I guess some "deals" should be passed up! They should reconsider who sells their products and how they package them, and at least make it easy on the customer. This is now my problem when it should be theirs. There was nothing wrong with the product, I just wish they had sent all of it. Makes me uneasy to ever order their items again or recommend to others.

I've had luck with their products in the past, but not since having to return a whole (and huge) item because somewhere between Zinus, their suppliers, their sellers, and my door, four parts were lost. And then to be told to talk to someone else, and that nothing can be done? I really hope they make a change in how they handle these sorts of issues from a customer support and distribution standpoint.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

On July 30, 2018 I purchased the Zinus 12" Full Green Tea Memory Foam Pressure Relief Mattress for $243 via the Zinus website. The online order and delivery process went fine. The mattress arrived compressed and within a sealed plastic bag to keep its compressed form. I opened the bag and the mattress decompressed into the full mattress size. I noticed a foul odor coming from the mattress but thought that it was simply due to shipping or the memory foam smell. I slept on the mattress 1 night and noticed that the smell hadn't dissipated. It smells really bad and my entire apartment smells of mold and mildew because of this mattress.

I then looked online for other consumer reviews of this mattress and noticed other people who purchased the same mattress also noticed the strong mildew and mold smell. I called Zinus 3 times and left 3 different voicemail messages for them to return my call and to process my refund and/or replacement. Zinus customer service never answered their line NOR did they return any of my 3 voicemails. Long story short... do not order any Zinus products. They literally sent me mattress that smells like mildew and mold worth $243. I am now at a loss of $243. Zinus customer service does not answer the phone and they do not return voicemails. Do not waste your time or money.

Zinus expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Founded in 1979, Zinus originally produced comfort-oriented outdoor products, including tents, sleeping bags and portable furniture. The company turned to indoor comfort products in 2003, and their innovative mattresses are available as memory foam, coil spring or hybrid memory foam and coil spring. Find Zinus beds online.

• Mattress accessories: In addition to mattresses, Zinus also manufactures and sells headboards, boxsprings, bases and frames, so you can perfectly match your mattress to your bed.

• Budget-friendly: Zinus mattresses are available for as low as $100, making them ideal for anyone who doesn’t have a lot of money to spend on their new mattress.

• Warranty: Zinus’s mattresses include a 10-year limited warranty.

• Hybrid option: There’s no reason to choose between memory foam and coil spring mattresses when you can have both. Zinus’s hybrid option fuses the two together so you can have the best of both worlds.

• Bunk bed options: Zinus’s Memory Foam five inch mattress is ideal for bunk beds and trundles. These mattresses are available in fun colors like blue and hot pink, making them a perfect fit for a kid’s bedroom.

• Best for: Zinus mattresses are best for parents and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
    Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Zinus, Inc Company Information