2.10/5

Need a good mattress?

537 Tempur-Pedic Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Great shopping experience at Sleep Train, now MattressFirm, but... HORRIBLE PRODUCT! Mattress is TOO HOT and caused extreme back pain for over a year. I was in great physical shape when I purchased this bed in 2016. Took a while to figure out the pain was coming from the mattress. I just couldn't imagine having extreme pain from a brand new mattress that cost so much $$$. I always felt worse when I got up in the morning and started to have extreme pain while sleeping. I had 2 different medium firm pillow top Beauty Rest mattresses and both turned out to be horrible. My hips and back hurt so bad from this mattress that I sometimes couldn't sleep & it took hours after waking to recover from sleeping on it!

"Lifetime Warranty" is BS. Company told me I had to PAY for a test kit when I said it was sagging after I only had it for 6 months. Then I read all the negative info same as my experience. I think it's time for a legal complaint! Avoid this company. Avoid this mattress. AND notice the 4 and 5 star reviews vs. the 1 star. The 1 star reviews have a lot of specifics about what and when purchased and problems with mattress and warranty/company. The 4-5 star reviews are brief, most bunched together in the same few days or month and most do not have specifics of when purchased (i.e. phony!).

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I ordered firm mattress back in May but didn’t get my mattress until mid August after multiple phone calls and postings on their Facebook acct. Finally it arrived and was hoping that it will help my back especially after two epidural injection to my discs. Not only it didn’t help my back and in fact it was making it worse. I ached more than before sleeping on this Expensive junk. Please help your back, do not buy this mattress.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I had ordered a mattress and base through the Tempur-Pedic website. Two weeks later I decided to called and make sure it would be delivered that week. The guy on the phone said the order was on backorder, but he would ship it out as fast as he could and guaranteed a delivery of early next week; he also sent two pillows for the inconvenience which was nice. The week comes up so I decide to ask online and was told my order was still on backorder and it was back in stock so it would be shipped out. She told me she would keep me up to date and "investigate" why I was told it would be delivered. She stopped responding basically. So I had called again to chat and the lady on the phone said it was again on backorder. Then proceeded to tell me that she would email me back to update me on the order...

Surprise surprise a couple days later I got no emails, so again I went to the online chat and got a lady named Berenice. I told her how frustrated I was and that no one was getting back to me. She told me basically the same thing about looking into the order and getting back to me. I was not expecting much from her, in fact, I was ready to throw in the towel and just order from another brand altogether. Surprisingly she got back to me and kept emailing me about the order and who the delivery person was going to be.

I'm still waiting for my mattress a month after ordering, but hopefully, this worker actually appears as though she cares and maybe I will get it within the next week. I don't feel like I should of had to of gone through that many people to get someone to figure out my order. Not only did I never get an email originally that my order would be put on backorder, but I was ignored by the employees. I don't recall who the people on the phone were as I did not catch their names but the other woman I had talked to online is Andrea ** and I specifically asked her if she was ignoring me after sending an email and not getting a response for 2-3 days. In which again was never replied to. I'm very disappointed by the customer service given.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

We were early adopters of Tempur-Pedic about 18 years ago, and loved every night spent on that mattress. When we moved, we decided to get a new one and the CSR said the 'new' equivalent to ours was the Contour Supreme. A very firm mattress at $3200 (King). Less than a year later, we are very disappointed and achy, because this mattress is not firm at all. Curiously, the 'Supreme' model is being discontinued after just a couple years.

I tried to get some assistance from the company, now Sealy marketing Tempur-Pedic. Since our mattress is not outwardly defective, they would not allow any credit toward a new mattress, yet I contend the defect is in the design with too many soft layers modifying the firmness. The Contour Supreme is NOT a firm mattress. Long and short, we are discarding our 11-month-old T-P mattress, and buying hybrid, probably Saatva, which does in fact sell a firm mattress. Expensive lesson!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

The mattress started sagging under normal use. Submitted a warranty claim and was approved for a replacement. The problem is the top of the line model I have was discontinued and replaced with a nearly identical model with a similar name. The main difference is the new model cost twice as much at retail price. The warranty department said I have to pay the difference in costs. I was willing to accept a lower model or even a mattress topper as long as there is no out of pocket expense and they are requiring me to choose a more expensive model so they can get another sale. The warranty is bogus so keep that in mind when Tempur-Pedic says 10 or 20 year warranty. Their support has long wait times, is super condescending with that I don't care attitude. It is only a piece of foam and which other brands of foam mattress feel the same for far less. I thought if I bought the name brand it would somehow be a better product or service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tempur-Pedic?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

It's HOT! It's ridiculously EXPENSIVE! BAD Warranty service! I can't say enough about how bad this company and bed is. I had to choose between sleeping with my newly wed wife in this bed or getting a good night sleep. Most of the time we have to run the AC just to go to sleep. I've slept on many kinds of beds in my life and all have pros and cons but this one is the overall worst. It took about a month just for the smell to go away and to get used to sleeping on the bed. After that I slept ok for maybe 3 or 4 months even though the mattress was really hot. After that I started getting pain in my hip because the bed got so soft it wasn't supporting my back and hips anymore.

I messaged the warranty people to let them know. In a nutshell I had to send pictures of the soft spot which actually turned out to be a dip in the mattress. Apparently my dip wasn't big enough for them so they would not deal with me anymore and pretty much told me to come back when the dip was bigger (I've only had the mattress a year-ish). Since then I have spent an entire month sleeping on the floor (not great for a new marriage). I now alternate between bed and couch because my wife likes sleeping together.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Well, I have to say we are disappointed. Our order was placed August 3rd. Our money was taken the same day. I would suggest that a nationwide company such as yours has inventory control and knows exactly how many mattresses it does and does not have. A follow up came Aug 16 saying, in fact, you did not have our mattress in stock. No offer of discount for poor service results. No offer of free upgrade to a mattress that you do have in stock. Nothing. You just hold our money, don't deliver the product, and offer nothing to a loyal returning customer. It must be the new American way. Don't be surprised to see this review copied and pasted on social media. After all, what else is a consumer to do?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

They told me they will replace my mattress but my mattress is discontinued. The new mattress is a lot more. They will not give me the sale price. I asked to see where it says I have to pay retail and they do not have it anywhere on their website or any official docs. What can I do?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

If you are thinking about purchasing a Tempur-Pedic, make sure you buy it directly from them. I recently purchased one from a local retailer and was under the impression from the Tempur-Pedic tv ads that I could return it within 90 days for a refund. Well, this is not true. If you purchase it from a retailer, you are subject to the retailer's return policy not what Tempur-Pedic is advertising. I only found this out by going to Tempur-Pedic's website on the 90-day trial page and scrolling to the bottom to find the information. When I contacted Tempur-Pedic about this, they just gave me the runaround. I have had my bed for about 30 days now and feel it's not the right bed for me and may now be stuck with it.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Their products are terrible. Hard like a ROCK. It is a pain in the ** to deal with customer service who are unprofessional, takes forever and never take care of anything. It took me a lot of time to call and finally to get a return approval, send it back but never receive a refund. I was doing cleaning and found shipping slip in the house almost half year later. Only until I called, they say will refund me.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

After the sagging was more than we could take, Tempur-Pedic said they would replace my discontinued Contour Deluxe (a medium soft, great, contouring mattress) with a super firm Contour supreme mattress. They claimed a firm mattress was comparable to a medium soft mattress? To try and get a similar replacement for my Deluxe, Tempur-Pedic said I needed to pay over $2000+ for an Elite or even more for the Rhapsody. That is not a warranty at all! Stay away from Tempur-Pedic.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Purchased Tempur-Pedic 3” memory foam topper from Bed, Bath and Beyond. Once started using began to have severe breathing problems, headaches and nauseous. 4 weeks later I went to my doctor who recommended moving topper to another room to allow the off gassing, for which these types of mattresses are known to produce, to dissipate. I was put on ** to reduce the inflammation in my lungs. The topper has been in another room for 6 weeks and I have to keep the door closed and a window slightly open, which is costly in South Florida. If I enter the room I immediate experience severe breathing problems and a headache soon follows after leaving the room. Bed, Bath and Beyond will not take the product back because 1) it’s been used; 2) I did not retain the original box or receipt.

According to the my research, off gassing is a reported problem with this product, which consists entire of synthetic chemicals, some of which are known carcinogens. I contacted Tempur-Pedic directly was told there was nothing they could do about it. Then was read a “generic” disclaimer about the safety of their products. They are fully aware of the complaints regarding this product and its health risks especially to those with breathing ailments such as asthma and emphysema yet no warning is included on the packaging nor any restitution made for this. The topper retails for $349.99 plus tax, doctor visits and medication for the inflammation that only began when their “safe” product was brought into my home.

Original review: July 30, 2018

To all people, it's the worst ** you will ever buy! I had it for four years and throwing it away. I experienced consistent discomfort and heat. Every bone of my body hurts after sleeping on this, I hate it so much, I would pay Tempur-Pedic not to sell.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I bought expensive Tempur-Pedic King for $3500 in 2007 at Brookstone where it was promised 100% free replacement warranty due to any issues. I developed back pain and asked for replacement in 2004, the claim didn't go through. Persistently asked again in 2018, they say warranty if beyond 10 years, it will only be replaced up to 50% of a new bed purchase. They started claiming it's only 20 yr free replacement if bought on Tempurpedic.com and not Brookstone etc. Who knew about this catch. And how am I to believe even after spending extra 50% cost of new bed it will not guarantee back pain. 20 yr free replacement is a trap and is not entirely true.

Original review: July 23, 2018

We bought this mattress 3 years ago and paid over $5000 for it. Came with a great warranty! Now when laying on the mattress you feel like you are in a hole and can not roll out. Sent in all the pictures 3 times, because they said the pictures were not of the whole bed (the pictures were of the whole bed) and need mattress tags and base tags every time it was something different. Every time I would have to strip the bed. Easily visible is the sag that is in the mattress. Can not flip mattress but we have turned mattress to see if that would help but did not. Got message today saying it does not fall within their guidelines for a mattress failure! Warranty is no good! Mattress is no good! Do not buy this mattress! You will love it for a while and then hate it forever.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I purchased top of the range Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody Breeze just over two years ago with their base for over $5500. In the last few months it has developed a noticeable sagging on each side so it feels like I am lying in a crater. I have to roll upwards on the mattress to get into the middle. Please note I weigh just 160 lbs. The mattress has never been abused, stood on, jumped on it has had usual sleep use. I submitted a warranty with photos which clearly show the mattress sagging. Under instructions I placed a quarter under a straight pole along the straight edge. There is a gap of more than 1inch above the mattress to the pole. This clearly is part of their warranty and yet after less than one day they declined my warranty request.

This sagging has resulted in severe backache for me to the point I have a hard time standing up when I get out of bed. It is unacceptable that a two year old $5000 mattress should sag in this way. I would have had better experience with a normal box spring! The warranty is useless! At this point they are refusing my claim saying some softness is normal! I challenge them to come and sleep in my bed and see if they don’t have to roll up to the middle or climb out of my crater!

So far disgusted with customer service and their warranty and I would advise anyone considering buying a Tempur-Pedic bed not to.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I purchased top of the range Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody Breeze just over two years ago with their base for over $5500. In the last few months it has developed a noticeable sagging on each side so it feels like I am lying in a crater. I have to roll upwards on the mattress to get into the middle. Please note I weigh just 160lbs. The mattress has never been abused, stood on, jumped on it has had usual sleep use. I submitted a warranty with photos which clearly show the mattress sagging. Under instructions I placed a quarter under a straight pole along the straight edge. There is a gap of more than 1 inch above the mattress to the pole. This clearly is part of their warranty and yet after less than one day they DECLINED my warranty request.

This sagging has resulted in severe back ache for me to the point I have a hard time standing up when I get out of bed. It is unacceptable that a two year old $5000 mattress should sag in this way. I would have had better experience with a normal box spring! The warranty is useless! I will be complaining to their CEO and will keep you updated on my progress. However at this point they are refusing my claim saying some softness is normal! I challenge them to come and sleep in my bed and see if they don’t have to roll up to the middle or climb out of my crater! So far DISGUSTED with customer service and their warranty and I would advise anyone considering buying a Tempur-Pedic bed NOT TO BUT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. It is shameful business practice of theirs. Defects should be replaced. This is standard business practice! If I do not get a favorable response I will be seeking legal advice.

Original review: July 8, 2018

We have had this mattress less than three years. It is a Hybrid - combination of springs and foam. Clearly the springs have weakened, because every time we get in the bed it sags and provides no support. We are both in AGONY every morning with neck, shoulder, back and hip pain. We have taken to sleeping on the sofa. Tempur-Pedic won't honor the warranty because we can't provide a photo of a quarter standing upright in a 1 inch rut! Any mattress in that condition would even be rejected by the Salvation Army. Do not be duped into buying this mattress under any circumstances. There is NO WARRANTY. It's all just a ruse. When it comes time to file a claim, it will be denied without anyone even looking or examining your mattress.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I had a Tempur Choice mattress, which had adjustable air chambers to change the firmness. The mattress was only 3 years old when one of the air chambers burst and wouldn't hold air. In fairness to Tempur Pedic, when I contacted them initially, they approved my warranty claim with no questions. However, I then learned that the Choice mattress had been discontinued and that they offer no similar mattress or any spare parts.

I am told I am will be given a credit for the original purchase price. I tried a new mattress in store, and upon contacting them to order replace, I'm told they won't offer 90 trial period on my replacement mattress, even though they offer the trial period to all new customers. I would understand if my mattress was replaced in kind but since I have to get an entirely new mattress, I find it unacceptable that the trial period is not an option on my replacement. They also won't give me a refund for my original purchase price.

After arguing with multiple agents and a supervisor, they still won't provide 90 day trial option so I elect to simply order new mattress and be done with this. I'm then told that although the price for my new mattress on their website is showing $4,000 (for 4th of July sale), I have to pay the original $4,500 price because "warranty replacements aren't eligible for sale prices". What a joke! I become increasingly angry and after more arguing, Tempur finally agrees to honor the website price but how pathetic that they try to gouge you for more money after their product failure caused the issue in the first place. This will be my last dealing with Tempur-Pedic and I'd recommend others purchase from a different company.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I bought the Cloud Supreme Tempur-Pedic mattress 4 years ago for $4000. One side of the mattress has broken down even though we rotated it every couple months. I filed a claim with Tempur-Pedic and they denied my claim within 2 hours of submitting it claiming that "A normal increase in softness of the TEMPUR pressure-relieving material does not affect the pressure-relieving qualities of the mattress" and therefore not covered by warranty. What a joke! I can feel the wood board under the mattress when I lay down!

Original review: June 27, 2018

This mattress was purchased in Feb 2008. I know it is out of warranty. It has gone soft on one side. The mattress has been used at most 10 times per year, as it is used as a spare bedroom mattress. I don’t think this is normal. Maybe I just got one that had a defect. Just a word for everyone who is about to purchase a Tempur-Pedic! Think twice. I purchased this from Raymour & Flanigan in Reading PA. Since it is out of warranty, I have no recourse. Used only 10 times a year, surely it should last longer.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Don't buy any Tempur-Pedic products. Very upset on purchase Rhapsody Luxe mattress. All these products are just well advertised for those who think it is the best because it cost so much. It was my first and last purchase from this website. Very disappointed. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: June 13, 2018

On May 7th I placed my order to receive my electric Bed frame from Tempur-Pedic website, I paid $1,966.40 that I purchased for my Mother's day as a gift. Right now I writing this on June 12th while I'm on the phone with Tempur-Pedic asking me where is the bed, it was supposed to be shipped by now, and after being on the phone for 45 minutes, they're telling me, "Oh we have to investigate because your order is closed and delivered", and I'm like I don't see a bed in our house. Anyways poor customer care, I have again paid about $1,966.40 and still don't have a bed frame for my mom. Disappointed is an understatement. I have bought another mattress from a much better competitor company and got it delivered a week after, never ever I will buy anything from Tempur-Pedic or anywhere that sells Tempur-Pedic.

Original review: June 8, 2018

When we bought this mattress it was great but over time as the memory foam started molding to our body you're pretty much stuck in that position now because it's now molded to that position. Also you can't flip it over so once it's broken down (which only took 2 years) it's done, and for the cost of this mattress is ridiculous.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The mattress we wanted and tried in the store was a "Firm". But the one we got was like sleeping on a marshmallow with a hump in the middle. The store replaced it once and it was the same as the first one. Contacted Tempur-Pedic and got nowhere. Extreme waste of money!

Original review: June 7, 2018

After I broke my back, conventional coil-spring mattresses just did not fill the bill. I tried 'Pillow-Top Mattresses' and they did not provide the support, yet comfort that I needed. I tried the Tempur-Pedic mattress and found that it was comfortable, yet fully supported my body and injured back. The memory foam mattress molded itself to my body shape and cradled the injured lower back to allow me to gain a full-night's sleep with very little if any discomfort. I have owned this mattress now for 10-years and it still does what it is supposed to do. A great mattress, just very pricey!

Original review: June 6, 2018

Very dissatisfied with Tempur-Pedic Cloud Breeze, we have owned for 2 1/2 Years. It’s overpriced, unable to remove stains, cooling component stay cool, doesn’t last. Not worth extra money. I like my sheets to fit tight, however regular king sheets don’t. Suppose support 350 pounds, my husband weighs 270 and his side is sagging.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I bought our Contour Elite Breeze King mattress in April 2017. It’s now June 4, 2018. I’ve been stressed the last couple of weeks but wasn’t thinking it was our bed that is killing my back until now! It feels like we have a hump in the middle and I’m so sore I can barely move the last few days. I don’t know what’s going on! We were on vacation last month and I slept great in the hotel bed! I haven’t even begun the process of trying to warranty the bed, makes me think now it is just an awful bed! It’s really upsetting to spend this much on a mattress and I have to keep going into the spare room to sleep on the old guest room mattress!

Original review: June 5, 2018

The best mattress I have ever owned. I recommend this to all my friends, and will never settle for less. It was pricier than other mattresses, but fully worth the money.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I bought this mattress to replace a Select Comfort, after a month it was replaced because the mattress developed a large depression at the hips that made the mattress uncomfortable, after 6 months with a new mattress the same depression developed. For the money you pay for a Tempur-Pedic the mattress should hold up for years not months. Not the best night sleep you will ever have, but not the worst, I do not think the mattress is worth the money, premium prices for an average mattress.

Tempur-Pedic expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Tempur-Pedic makes its own specialized brand of memory foam beds that adapt to your specific shape, weight and temperature to help you get a good night's sleep.

• Variety: Tempur-Pedic offers a wide variety of bed styles depending on your needs, including Tempur-Cloud, Tempur-Contour, Tempur-Choice, Tempur-Breeze and Tempur-Weightless.

• Materials: The Tempur-Breeze has cooling technology and an ultra-breathable design to keep you cool, which can improve the quality of sleep you get.

• Support: It offers excellent customer support and delivers your new mattress directly to your door, removing your old mattress and packing materials.

• Warranty: It offers a 10-year warranty covering your mattress and flat foundation.

• Accessories: In addition to mattresses, it also offers Tempur-Pedic pillows and mattress covers.

• Best for: Tempur-Pedic mattresses are best for special needs and professionals.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
    Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Tempur-Pedic Company Information