1.60/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Ethan Allen

Looking for a good furniture store?

Ethan Allen Reviews

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

We choose Ethan Allen because we found the brand-name and products in China through its partner MARKOR. We love the style and then we search if there is any store in Montreal. Lucky enough there is one and Zania approached us as a designer. I have to say the whole process is so smooth and wonderful. Zania worked closely with us about every details, not only style, color, taste but also propose some products with very attractive price! She's also the person who help us to coordinate the delivery and install because we were not in Montreal at that time. And quality side, we have no complain about their products. Everything seems to be good condition. We also buy the insurance which can cover some damages/accidents. We highly recommend Zania as your designer and also highly recommend Ethan Allen as your high end furniture choice.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My husband and I were get up with our mattress and decided to do research and find a high quality firm mattress. We were also in the search for a sturdy couch. After extensive research we found both at Ethan Allen. The moment we walked into the store from the last point of our delivery we were satisfied. Chris at the Ann Arbor store put himself out there to offer suggestions. We took a mattress quiz and it offered us options to meet our needs. All of the staff was inviting and open to our questions and so patient when we said we need a moment to think about this purchase. We were left alone to discuss our thoughts and agreed to the selection and purchased them. Chris kept in touch with me throughout the 3 week wait.

We had a chair that we bought from Ethan Allen in 1995 that we wanted to keep but it needed to be reupholster. Chris put us onto a guy that works with Ethan Allen. Chris even went so far as to suggest colors and fabric based on our current living room furniture. Now it's 3 weeks later and the two delivery guys come to the house looking neat, clean and so pleasant. They were in an out of the house in 10 minutes removing all of the plastic and the old mattress. Believe me the quality of service, workmanship and quality of the product and the effective way we were approached all along the way is worth the money. Thank you Chris - you are fantastic.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2019

It was our lucky day when my husband and I went to Ethan Allen's Arlington, TX store and were greeted by Sara **. We have purchased many Ethan Allen pieces for our home and at this time were in the market for a new sofa. Sara ** guidance was superb and very much appreciated in helping us to choose just the right sofa to suit our home. Next was the overwhelming task of choosing the fabric. Sara was focused on helping us locate the absolute perfect fabric that would blend beautifully with our room. Her design skills, product knowledge, and expertise made our sofa purchase a true pleasure. It was delivered in the time frame she quoted and is an absolutely gorgeous addition to our living space.

We subsequently decided to purchase two recliners for our kitchen sitting room and called Sara for an appointment. Upon our arrival she had two fabric choices selected that were both perfect. We easily and immediately chose one of them. Sara has a very unique talent and she is extremely qualified. She is so gracious and her patience is unending in striving to understand your personal needs and wishes. Sara is now considered a treasured friend! We are patiently awaiting the arrival of what I know will be two amazingly beautiful recliners. Sara ** is a rare find and I highly recommend her for any Ethan Allen purchase you might be considering!

Original review: June 25, 2019

I was in the market for a new bed & had been perusing the Ethan Allen site for a few weeks. I had a random question (I don't remember what it was about) and decided to leverage the chat line. This outstanding designer - Jennifer ** answered my question and made several suggestions on what I could do with the new bed I purchased. As a result, I not only purchased a gorgeous bed, but 2 gorgeous nightstands & the dresser. My bedroom now looks like the oasis I've dreamt about thanks to Jennifer. She helped me moved beyond the 'sight unseen phobia', and out of my comfort zone! Delivery service was grade & thus far I am very pleased with my purchase & the service I received. I've already reached out to Jennifer for my second undertaking... She's the best!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I have never experience customer service so wonderful. I went to the Lake Oswego store and was helped by Zana ** - I cannot do her justice in this description, she was absolutely AMAZING! I had never purchased a quality dining room table before and she made it stress free and easy. She laid out all my options, was patient, and VERY informative about the products and what would work best for me and my family. She also went above and beyond. The first day I went in I was there for a while and she had a client appointment coming up- but never rushed me. Once I had a plan for all the items I wanted with finishes, fabrics, etc. she didn't have time to write me a quote but said she would email it to me later that afternoon when she returned after her in-house consultation.

Later that evening I got a voicemail from her apologizing for not yet sending it- she had gotten back to the store when it was closing, but stated she brought it home to email it to me but forgot to write down my email and needed it again. By the time I got the voicemail it was late so I text her giving her my email and stated she could send it to me the next day- but no, she still sent it to me that night!! I could not believe how wonderful she was. I sent an email back with a few changes and got a response quickly with a new quote and made an appointment with her to finalize it all. Because of her Ethan Allen will now be my primary home store. I could not thank her enough, she made my experience perfect- and I have very high standards.

Also, the furniture is BEAUTIFUL and great quality. There is nothing in the store that wouldn't last my lifetime. During this encounter I bought a dining room table and chairs, which I was able to finance with no interest for 6 months, AND a protection plan for 5 years for only $299! The prices are reasonable and match the quality of the items. I have no doubt that I will return. Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethan Allen?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I recently ordered two decorative jars online. They were to be used together. One was not as advertised. I will be returning it. The other item, I'm stuck with because it was a clearance item. (Not custom BTW - a mass produced item like a lot of the things they sell.) I don't know why I ever ordered from this company - my bad! I had furnished some rooms with them in the past and always found their return policies draconian. They are still as bad. Their customer service is also terrible. I had to leave a message and when I received a call back from a rep, he was supercilious and really couldn't care less about helping. It was cut and dried - the answer to all my requests was No, No, and always No. In this day and age, with the options available to consumers it makes no sense to order from Ethan Allen. Even if you're tempted - don't do it. You'll be sorry.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Set up delivery and gave my credit card over the phone. The delivery man presented me with an ancient multi carbon copy credit card form- for modern people this was the one from the 1980’s. Where they slid the machine back and forth over the copies to make an imprint. This particular copy that he presented me (‘I have a photo and have since had to change my credit card, notify all business contacts that make automatic deductions). The form had my credit card complete number. The expiration date and the security code. Need I say more. The receptionist stated “I can’t listen to you”. The manager - **? I believe - states “I’ve never had a problem in 40 years”. How cavaliers and arrogant when it’s not his money and after I spent $10000 in his store and he hung up on me. Beware this dangerous policy and even worse their arrogance in refusing to accept any acknowledgement of wrong doing.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

2k dollar dining set chipping 3 mos of use. We've been Ethan Allen customers since the 90's. Most of the house is Ethan Allen and Danish antiques. We bought a table and chairs set in the late Spring of this year. Within a month of delivery, the finish on the table started bubbling and chipping up. The corner tops of the chairs started chipping as well. I contacted my salesman about this and he went ahead and set me up as a warranty claim. I had someone come out from Ethan Allen to take pictures. His first question was "did it get wet?" Well, tables are made to be wiped down, no? Imagine how many tables in restaurants get wiped down. There hasn't been a flood in my home but I do wipe down the table with wet dishcloth daily, sometimes 2x a day. Not unheard of?

Well, he filed the claim for me and weeks later I was told my claim was denied by the folks back East, my damages were due to "misuse." WOW, we are a family of 5, I didn't know use was misuse!? My salesman felt terrible (thanks John if you read this) and offered to have the table refinished in the store but it would change the finish and color. No thanks. I decided to spend the $ on a glass top for the table and hopefully have it for years without issue. How pathetic of a company. They do not stand behind their product. There is clearly an issue with the finish that was used (old, too thin and do I dare say the top is veneer!?) and then blamed this on the customer. This is how centuries-old companies go under. Meanwhile, I have 70-year-old furniture in my care that remains gorgeous with my misuse of care. Beware if you are buying wood from Ethan Allen. Beware period, there seems to be no warranty.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

We are writing this note from our experience with a specific Customer Service Rep from Ethan Allen Furniture Store in Montreal QC, CA. Ethan Allen Design Consultant Zania **, re; our experience with her was awesome. She was sooo patience with us and soo knowledgeable. We traveled to the Montreal QC. store twice and she traveled to our home (2 hrs from Montreal) as well to help us design and decide what would work best in our living room. We know we can be difficult but she was amazing in dealing with us and assisting us in making our final decision and purchase. Zania thank you again. You are the best and the number 1 reason why we chose Ethan Allen for our Furniture Purchase.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I have been a customer of Ethan Allen since 1990 and I have always loved their product quality. This piece is terrible. It is advertised as distressed and the piece is done well except for the draw front which looks hideous with the entire front smooth and clean except for 3 marks that look lite someone took a flat screwdriver and a hammer to it. VERY POOR judgment that does not match any of the rest of the unit. When I complained I was told it was within the quality standards. The fact that it looks ridiculous doesn’t matter.

Ethan Allen expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For over 80 years, this company has offered furnishings for living and dining rooms, bedrooms and offices, plus outdoor, lighting, rugs and décor.

• Services: Free consultations with a professional designer before you order.

• Delivery: Ship anywhere in the contiguous United States.

• Returns: Custom and clearance items cannot be returned.

• Warranty: Furniture protection plans available at multiple price tiers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs