2.6/5 (549 ratings)

About Ethan Allen

Ethan Allen Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethan Allen?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethan Allen?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

I purchased a bed frame and mattress at Ethan Allen August 20/2021. It arrived June 10th, 2022. (10 months) (Not sure the order was submitted until January 2022 when I checked up on the arrival date.) So, 6 months later… The mattress and frame arrived while I was on holidays. My daughter noticed some imperfections which I brought to Marilyn’s (Ethan Allen sales) attention right away. No one has helped me “to date” with this issue. It is almost September,

2022.

The Mattress was supposed to be plush. I would have never purchased such a hard mattress. I have had pain in my entire body the whole summer. It is much firmer than the sample in the store. Being a side sleeper I am now waking up frequently with numb hands. I called the store to speak with Marilyn and she blew me off like an irritant. No warranty. Too bad!! I thought of Ethan Allen as a quality store. I am extremely disappointed in their product and terrible service. My back literally hates you Ethan Allen.

Original review: July 22, 2022

My husband and I custom ordered a dining table and six fabric covered chairs from the Ethan Allen at Bay Brook Mall, Friendswood, Texas September 5, 2021. The table and chairs were finally delivered in late January 2022 after I had paid for the product in full ~ $6K. The table was delivered and I had concerns. The sales person would not even come and look at the problems but insisted that the table was constructed correctly.

I have tried to complain through American Express but first the sales person told them that the table and chairs were in perfect condition and when I pursued my concerns with pictures, she claimed that I had custom ordered the table and chairs and therefore purchased "as is" with no warranty. This is completely untrue as I have the warranty paperwork. Ethan Allen finally sent someone out 2 months ago to look at the table and chairs and NO ONE has ever gotten back in touch with me. The table does not come to together flush - with or without the leaf, and 4 of the chairs were never finished properly on the wooden sections.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2022

Last year we were looking for a new dining set and after visiting numerous stores, we ended up buying a set from Ethan Allen. The store was empty and the staff was all over us for service so that is why I think we bought there, they were very pushy. We ended up ordering a custom table that took 8 months to arrive as it was made overseas and delayed multiple times. We finally had the table delivered last week and are beyond disappointed. It looks so cheap, doesn't even look like wood, but cheap veneer! There are marks on the chairs, the table wasn't built correctly with a long, jagged seam down the middle where you can see a different color and the chairs do not fit! Over time this seam will only get worse and continue to split. You would think with their technology and design services, the chairs they let us order would have fit!

Now $5,600 later we have a cheap table, chairs all marked up and chairs that don't even fit the table. This is so embarrassing and they don't care! They don't offer any type of customer service or return policy. The designers should know better and know what chairs fit what tables. Plus this is supposed to be Ethan Allen and it just looks like a cheap table. We would have been better off at Rooms To Go. we have never spent this much and have never been this disappointed. Now that I have seen the reviews, I understand, just wish we knew this before as we would not have ordered from them. When the delivery was delayed by 3 months extra we even tried to cancel then and they wouldn't let us. Just the worst customer service! They should take the table back and try selling it as a floor sample and see what they can get for it.

Original review: March 30, 2022

I have a high end mattress from Ethan Allen and it tore from the seam..It's like brand new and the material on the underside is so thin it tore from the seam and I am still waiting three weeks to hear from them...It's hardly been used...

Original review: March 28, 2022

I ordered a mostly wood king size bed on 9/27/21. EA demands full payment upfront, and a signed contract indicating my acknowledgment that the order cannot be canceled. The design consultant (assigned to me from another state, as there is no retail store near me) said there was a 20 week lead time - per the contract the estimated delivery to the distribution center was 1/28/22 (22 weeks, actually).

"Estimated delivery" changed to 3/28/22, then 4/11, then 4/18. I have no illusions that they won't extend this further. My husband spent his career working for large manufacturing companies. It is a simple matter to accurately track an order in the system and give a reliable promise date. EA claims to manufacture in the US, with US sourced hardwood and other materials. When I've contacted them about the order, I keep getting the "supply chain issues" runaround.

Supply chain issues have not worsened since last fall, and I accepted that those issues were reflected in an already unusually long initial 5 month lead time. Now I'm at 7 months, for a relatively simple piece of case goods. I believe they are sourcing a significant percentage of their furniture manufacturing overseas, and this is illustrated by their complete lack of knowledge regarding delivery dates. After reading these other reviews, it seems clear that these imports are of much worse quality than what EA was known for - and what we, as consumers, pay for.

Original review: March 18, 2022

We saved up for years after we were married to buy a table set from Ethan Allen like my parents had done (and were still using). It was fabulous! After having cub scouts, girl scouts, four kids with lots of play dates and 35 years of use, the table top had definitely seen better days. We gave it to our daughter and cheerfully went back to Ethan Allen. We emphasized to our sales lady the importance of the durability--especially of the table top. We now have ten grandkids who visit often and always have craft projects going on the table.

After HUGE delivery problems, we were very excited for our new table set. Imagine our disappointment when we saw PERMANENT scuffs the next day (no grandkids). We figured out that it was from my husband scooting the plastic butter container around. After a week the chairs had water marks on the wood from dusting them with a damp microfiber cloth, and the table top also had a chip in it (still no grandkids). I read the warranty which I saw was only good as long as the table was always completely covered. **? If I wanted to always have my table completely covered, I would have kept my old one.

My husband still had faith in Ethan Allen. He called our sales lady and sent pictures. She said that she would investigate and get right back. Nothing. I think he called once a week (she never did). About 6 weeks later, she said that there wasn't anything they could do because we had obviously voided the warranty by not having the table completely covered. We never even brought up the chairs. We will NEVER shop at Ethan Allen again!!!!

Original review: March 4, 2022

Sadly, I spent thousands of dollars on an Ethan Allen couch and recliner. The recliner leather color has worn off in areas, the cushion has been lop sided since after the first week and all the cushions have been replaced with no improvement. The couch fabric picks up colors from people clothes, the cushions needed to be replaced, even though I turn and move them frequently. For two thousand dollars more I could have had quality furniture that would endure for years. There are only two of us living in our household and we have no pets! After over two years, I am replacing these pieces with Italian leather so that I can sit comfortably in my living room. The San Marcos Ethan Allen representative could only apologize. This was a very expensive lesson in furniture shopping. It would have been best to purchase this style furniture at Jeromes, Ashley or Macys. At least you get what you pay for, maybe even better!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

I ordered my dining room chairs and counter stools to match June 2021 from Watchung, NJ. I received my counter stools November 2021 after emailing the corporate office and complaining about not having anywhere for my guest to sit for Thanksgiving. I still did not receive my complete dining room chairs. Long story short, I have 6 completed chair frames; 4 with cushions I did not order (because they tried to get me something for my guest to sit on for the holidays) and the other 2 are just frames no cushions (2 chairs I can't even sit on).

Denise did provide me with 2 other chairs just so I have something, even though they did not match. The explanation for the long long delay, Ethan Allan is looking for a new provider that provides the wood for the cushions. I don't understand how a large company like this don't have any kind of backup plan for their customers. I'm embarrassed to have guest over my house because my dining room is not complete since moving into my new home. I can't look for new dining chairs because I purchased my dining chairs to match my counter stools.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

Do not buy furniture from Ethan Allen Watchung, NJ, location. A designer sold us our furniture in 2017 and sold us a five-year gold warranty with Guardsman (**). She explained that should anything happen to our furniture within the five-year plan would be repaired or replaced. Well, my claim was denied. Ethan Allen did nothing to help. Our leather sectional ($11,000) color has faded and turned gray, and our dining table chairs paint has chipped. The only helpful rep there was Denise, who was very apologetic. The basement furniture I bought from Raymour and Flannigan last longer than Ethan Allen furniture.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

We bought almost $10,000 worth of furniture, just to have one of our couches come with two damages. Our coffee table and matching side table also came damaged. We were told 6 months delivery time. We waited 9 months. The three items that were damaged, were in the warehouse for months prior to delivery. But instead of delivering those 3 big things to us, so that we would at least have something while we waited for the rest...they refuse to deliver anything till ALL the items are in the warehouse. Exposing the items that have been there for MONTHS to all kinds of damages. So they lose money when they do that. My options are either have them “repair” the item...or return my money (which they really try to not let you do).

But why would spend THOUSANDS of Dollars on a piece of furniture, to just have it come damaged, just so that someone can glue a piece of wood, in an item that is supposed to be one solid piece of wood? How do you repair that? The couch...has water damage stain, and a huge rip on the side. Come on. That’s so just so Ridiculous. I have ordered Wayfair furniture that has comes in better shape.

Honestly If I could I would return the entire purchase…which I tried to do months ago, and we were told it was too late because all the furniture was already at the warehouse (which was a lie). I do not recommend this company. I do not feel that the price matches the quality. Not to mention how many damaged items came from one order.

Ethan Allen author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

For over 80 years, this company has offered furnishings for living and dining rooms, bedrooms and offices, plus outdoor, lighting, rugs and décor.

• Services: Free consultations with a professional designer before you order.

• Delivery: Ship anywhere in the contiguous United States.

• Returns: Custom and clearance items cannot be returned.

• Warranty: Furniture protection plans available at multiple price tiers.

Ethan Allen Company Information