1.51/5
Based on 261 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good furniture store?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

405 Ethan Allen Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

We purchased a 3000$ table from these guys just over a year ago in Sandy, Utah. HORRIBLE OVERALL EXPERIENCE. The finish on the table started coming off about 3-6 months after we got the table. Our salesperson, Diane **, was the worst salesperson I have ever worked with. She was great right up until we needed her help after purchase. I cannot express how horrible this woman is. She literally had no time for us once we had already purchased from her and had an legitimate issue. They had a technician come out to inspect the finish issue. The technician concluded that it was a defect in material yet Ethan Allen still refused to do anything about it. I could go on and on and would be happy to if anyone wants to know more. I will never purchase anything from this shady company again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

From start to finish, I have been highly disappointed by my experience with Ethan Allen in Watchung, NJ. The designers are arrogant, overconfident in their skills, discourteous and dismissive. We spent a ton of money for poor quality window treatments that didn’t even hold up for a year. Don’t make the mistake we did! Avoid this place and save your money and sanity!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have an Ethan Allen Ashton curio cabinet that requires replacement rollers under the doors (as they were lost in a recent move). No one at their sales locations or customer service provides any help. In fact they seem to strive for excuses to avoid assisting a customer and told me that the case is too old when in fact they continue to carry the same piece with the same serial number. The conclusion was reached after four (4) calls to three locations.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I have never experience customer service so wonderful. I went to the Lake Oswego store and was helped by Zana ** - I cannot do her justice in this description, she was absolutely AMAZING! I had never purchased a quality dining room table before and she made it stress free and easy. She laid out all my options, was patient, and VERY informative about the products and what would work best for me and my family. She also went above and beyond. The first day I went in I was there for a while and she had a client appointment coming up- but never rushed me. Once I had a plan for all the items I wanted with finishes, fabrics, etc. she didn't have time to write me a quote but said she would email it to me later that afternoon when she returned after her in-house consultation.

Later that evening I got a voicemail from her apologizing for not yet sending it- she had gotten back to the store when it was closing, but stated she brought it home to email it to me but forgot to write down my email and needed it again. By the time I got the voicemail it was late so I text her giving her my email and stated she could send it to me the next day- but no, she still sent it to me that night!! I could not believe how wonderful she was. I sent an email back with a few changes and got a response quickly with a new quote and made an appointment with her to finalize it all. Because of her Ethan Allen will now be my primary home store. I could not thank her enough, she made my experience perfect- and I have very high standards.

Also, the furniture is BEAUTIFUL and great quality. There is nothing in the store that wouldn't last my lifetime. During this encounter I bought a dining room table and chairs, which I was able to finance with no interest for 6 months, AND a protection plan for 5 years for only $299! The prices are reasonable and match the quality of the items. I have no doubt that I will return. Thank you!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My husband and I were renovating our master bedroom, and I fell in love with an Ethan Allen bedding set that cost over $1,000 for 4 items. We did not open the items immediately upon receipt other than to briefly look them over in their packaging, as our room was not yet completed. This past weekend after finally finishing our room I opened my new bedding excited to finally use it. I was dismayed to find two of the four items damaged. Our light blue duvet cover has what appears to be black dirt or grease marks in multiple places, and one of the pillow shams has orange marks on it as well as a rip in the fabric.

I contacted customer service who stated that because it has been more than 30 days they will not consider replacing or refunding the items. They also stated that the warranty on fabrics do not apply past the 30 days, which I do not understand as torn fabric is considered a manufacturing defect and the warranty on that is for one year. I explained that the items had never been opened before yesterday, I have all the original packaging, and was even happy to bring it into the store so they can inspect it and see it has never been used but the representative kept stating there was nothing to be done. So now my only option is to either pay MORE money to buy replacement items out of my own pocket, or essentially throw all of the items in the trash as I have an incomplete bedding set. Not to mention repaint my new bedroom as my walls were color matched to the bedding.

I am appalled that a reputable, high end company will not stand behind such poor quality control of their items and that a DESIGN company does not have more than a 30 day window for returns given the fact that many home or decorating projects are not always completed on a perfect timeline where the items will be opened or used right away. I highly advise anyone looking to purchase items there to think twice, and if they do to make sure they go over every inch of their items immediately upon delivery to ensure nothing is wrong since their quality control is clearly lacking.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethan Allen?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

We live now in South Florida and at the end of November we are moving to Fayetteville, GA. In the past I bought several pieces of furniture and decorations from Ethan Allen and was very pleased. I wanted to get some more pieces for the new house in GA, so I contacted over the phone the EA store in Peach Street City. I was very lucky when my call was answered by interior designer Jennifer **. I had my own ideas, but she improved on all of my choices and made them perfect. She went above and beyond to help me realize what I had envisioned and it took a lot of work on her part to accomplish this over the phone. On top of this, she's amiable, courteous and professional. Amazing experience!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I was given three throws as a thank you gift from friends of my sister's. The original order was bungled with my sister's name and the address of the credit card given mixed together. Once received, I decided to exchange one of the throws. First, the brick and mortar store wouldn't take it and told me I had to ship it. I wrote in and was given the return address to send it to. When I didn't hear from them in a month, I called in and found out they only return credit to the card - no exchange. So now the ladies that sent me this gift know I returned one of them. I had to pay for shipping. All in all, difficult experience.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

This review is written with a great deal of disappointment in a company that used to be one of the best. Our experience is similar to many others who have left reviews. In years past we purchased furniture from Ethan Allen and found the product to be high quality and well made. That was then, this is now. We ordered a leather chair (Soho leather chair in charcoal) from our local store in Okatie, SC. The chair as shown on their website and the sample we were shown was to appear naturally weathered and worn. This effect is achieved by a process of sanding the leather.

When the chair arrived, we thought the order had been mixed up and they had sent us the wrong chair. The chair was haphazardly sanded over the entire surface and over-sanded to the point of the original leather being unidentifiable as to color. It looked as if a sander had been given to a child. As one designer said when she saw a picture of the chair, "Someone had a bad day."

The staff at our local store, I believe, wanted to act with integrity and replace the chair. Corporate, however, refused to replace the chair saying the appearance was attributable to "color variations" in the leather. The problem had nothing to do with the color of the leather, but rather the atrocious sanding job. Ethan Allen offered to allow us to pay them a 40% restocking fee. In other words, we could pay them nearly half the cost of the chair and have *nothing* to show for it! How very generous of them. No thank you. Thank goodness we refused to accept the chair so it wasn't in our possession. We disputed the charges through our credit card company and, rightly so, were refunded the entire amount!

My advice to anyone considering buying furniture from this once good, now disreputable company is to proceed with caution. Their product is often low quality and the new corporate attitude is to get your money and refuse customer service. Also, when anything is delivered to your home, inspect it very carefully. If it isn't up to your expectations, refuse delivery. When you do this, ask the delivery person to initial a note made by you that you are not accepting delivery. The process for disputing a claim is somewhat lengthy and tedious but it is better than paying for a piece of furniture you either don't have or would be sad to have in your home.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

As part of remodeling my kitchen, I needed to find counter height chairs. After looking through several sites, I decided on a wood painted Windsor counter height chair. At the time there was a sale so I received a discounted price. The chairs are made for each order so they took about 10 weeks to arrive. They are exactly as described. The paint is well done, the chairs are comfortable to sit in. I am very pleased.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I wanted to retract a post I made however it would not let me. My last post should have been about a Chads Ford employee that sold me bad merchandise then lied about the store managers refusing to return them. The post should have been a positive one as I love the store manager at King of Prussia. He’s always helpful and whenever there is an issue he helps work it out. I have shopped there for years and never had something not be rectified. It is one of the only Ethan Allen stores I shop at constantly.

I didn’t know anyone at Chads Ford so when I was treated badly and she was dishonest and stated her words came directly from the store manager it was inaccurate. David never knew and once he heard how upset I was he stepped in and did anything to help. I walked away with it being positive and I wanted my review to show that. I highly recommend King of Prussia or Chads Ford as places to shop and if you aren’t sure which designer to work with I would ask the store manager directly. I love how my designer is at King of Prussia. She is sweet and fun to work with. I feel like I’ve made good friends at this location and highly recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Lost a customer and completely rubbed the wrong way about this company. Wish I looked at reviews first, as I see many people have also had damaged items delivered. I ordered a very expensive table, and paid the mandatory "Premier" in home delivery service that claims that "exceptional customer service continues right to your door. Our skilled delivery team inspects and prepares each item before carefully assembling it (when necessary) and placing it in your home." My table arrived damaged, and I had to point out the damage to the delivery person. So much for a premier delivery service.

And now another day I must take off of work for the replacement. I contacted customer service asking for this premier delivery service charge to be refunded. She said they don't do that because it could have been damaged on the truck en route to delivery. Hmm ok? I then wrote back saying that the delivery person told me it came right out of the box, so I don't see how it could have been damaged on the truck. No response.

On top of everything, I was never contacted about my replacement like the delivery person said I would be, so I had to contact Ethan Allen. While on the phone with the representative I asked again if this premier delivery fee could be refunded, and the representative's excuse was that "well they're delivering it again." For heck sake I would hope they would replace a damaged item! Aren't I paying the premier delivery fee for things to be done right the first time?! I feel as though this company has no desire to satisfy their customers/retain customers. Just so disappointed, you would expect for such high prices customer service would be better.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

About a year and a half after my couch was purchased, I noticed some discoloration on the leather. I reached out to Ethan Allen and was connected to JoAnn in delivery. She was amazing to work with. She was professional, friendly, and helpful. She communicated with me through every step of the process. Her colleague, Jeri, worked diligently on my behalf to get my sofa replaced. I am grateful to both of them for their hard work and to Ethan Allen for standing behind their products. Just a great and positive experience!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased a living room set from Ethan Allen that included a coffee table and end table with matching wood and finish. The coffee table was delivered with flaws in the top (small white divots). Ethan Allen claims the marks were there on purpose to simulate distressing... However there are none of these "distressing" marks on the matching end table. Ethan Allen refused to fix or take back the table. I had to have a local woodworker sand and refinish the table. I would not purchase from Ethan Allen again. Very poor customer service. No concern for customer satisfaction...

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I purchased a bed from Ethan Allen. The bed was delivered with damage. You could see where they poorly tried to repair. After numerous complaints they replaced the bed. The second bed has a very poor finish. I will never buy from them again. Their quality is not close to what it use to be. Stay away if you want high end furniture.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I custom-ordered the California king Cayman bed from Ethan Allen, and the wait was worth it! Order and delivery process was seamless, staff were extremely professional in delivery and set-up, and the new bed looks great in our home.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Have been customer with Ethan Allen for 10+ yrs. November 2017 I purchased Cameron trestle table. it was delivered April 13,2018. By End of June noticed surface was very scratched, called local store about this issue and explained other than playing cards 3-4 times on table, we had not used table for meals or other activity. Was informed I should have put pad on table from time of purchase. Told “They don’t finish tables like they use to!" I asked why pay 2k+ for table I’m covering up with pad. Was told that’s the only way to keep table from scratching.

Was given customer service number. Called number, 6 weeks later finally had a service man come to my home and look at table. He does repairs for EA. He told me this was normal with wood tables, but his side company could take it to the shop and redo to give me a better and more durable surface. Again I was told “They just don’t make them like they use to!!!” Customer service called me to inform me my claim was denied due to normal use. Will not be shopping here again.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have had the worst customer service experience that is consistent with many other reviews regarding Ethan Allen. First let me say that I have been an Ethan Allen customer for over 20 years, and most of our home is decorated with Ethan Allen furniture. I have a sofa and love seat in our living room and a dining room set that is 20 years old and both look like new.

Most recently we had an order totaling approximately $10,000. Our designer was fantastic to deal with and we had fun working with him to make our selections and purchase. That’s where the fun stopped. First, delivery was months late. Then two recliners that were part of the order were delivered and we found that one was damaged with leather torn on the back of one chair that we didn’t notice until after the delivery team had left the house. When we reported to our salesperson we were immediately directed to customer service. Customer Service sent a repair person to our house who confirmed the damage, then he unsuccessfully tried to repair the torn leather, then we were told the furniture would be repaired by replacing the chair back.

We disputed this with no success. So we agreed to have the back of the chair repaired. Ethan Allen had to order the part which took months to receive. When the part was finally delivered, the installer came to the house to do the repair only to find that the color of the leather on the replacement part was a mismatch. After much deliberations with customer service they finally agreed to replace both chairs. It was amazing to me that they could not understand that different lots could result in different leather color. It took several more months before we finally received new chairs. Customer service graciously allowed us to continue to use the chairs that were originally delivered while we waited for the order. By the time we received the replacement chairs we noticed that the frame on one of the chairs had already started to break down and made the chair appear crooked. We now have the 2 new chairs and the matter is resolved.

Now onto the next problem, the Adam dining table. We noticed that the table finish was defective, as the table would spot with the touch of a finger. We researched to see how to care for the tabletop and all the care instructions state is wipe the top with a soft damp cloth. That didn’t work and actually left more marks on the tabletop. We contacted the salesperson about this and his advice was wipe the tabletop with a damp soft cloth. Since we were dealing with the chair issue we just didn’t use the table. Then when chair issue was resolved we contacted customer service who sent a third party repair person to the house. The repair person attempted to clean the table and left marks where he attempted to clean. He told us the tabletop finish was defective and that he would report.

After some time we had to contact customer service again as we heard nothing. The customer service agent told us she had received the repair tech’s report and that she would submit a claim to the main customer service office requesting a replacement, however for us not to expect a replacement. Naturally with the passing of time we have now heard that the claim is denied because we did not report timely and they believe this is normal use. I am extremely offended that customer service has declared damage by their repair tech as our misuse. However they offered us the opportunity to purchase a replacement tabletop at a 50% price reduction of $312 plus shipping, with no warranty. We have disputed this outcome stressing the damage caused by the repair tech and his feedback that this tabletop is defective.

At this point we have the choice to look at this newly purchased damaged table or purchase the replacement top. We ordered the replacement top yesterday, had to pay 100% of the cost, tax, and shipping to place the order with the store receptionist. She was very nice, but the store in Charleston, SC didn’t even have the courtesy or professionalism to have our salesperson or store manager work with us on this order. Now it is wait to see how long it will take to be delivered. I have also posted a review on Facebook, as the Ethan Allen website does not have a function to post reviews, and I received an arrogant reply from customer service that offended me as the client. This company obviously is not what it used to be, and I will never step foot in this store again. Buyer Beware.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Good evening, My wife and I are building a house and worked with a sales representative at Ethan Allen (Robbi). She was an absolute pleasure to work with and I would recommend her to anyone that is looking for an intelligent salesperson that is not all about the sale. That is where the glowing endorsement stops. We were spending a great deal of money on furniture and inquired about a discount on the purchase. Our associate informed us that would not be possible, but we could address the matter with her boss, Jack **, Estero, Florida.

Never have I felt so berated. This person came off as an arrogant, condescending **. I did not expect the request to be fulfilled, but one cannot be told yes or no if they do not ask... In short, from the moment he answered the phone, I felt like I was imposing on his time and how dare I contact him to ask for any type of discount. Without saying the words, he informed me that there are many furniture stores out there and, "Please take your business elsewhere." Normally, I would just move on and let it go, but in this case, the arrogance displayed by this individual must be noted to let others know, yes, there are other furniture stores in the area and it is a shame the sales agent lost her commission due the arrogance of her boss.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I ordered a sofa on Dec 16, 2017 that was delivered on Feb 2018. I called the original store where I bought it because it was very uncomfortable to sit on. The 3 cushions that were on it were uneven and not the correct size; very mismatched. The store sends out a 3rd party they use to do their customer service. He came out and used some kind of steamer machine on the arm of the sofa and damaged it; he used too much heat on it.

After that customer service in Margate Fl contacted and said they would order new cushions and picked up my sofa in March; it's sitting in their warehouse and here it is June and I don't have my sofa back. I put it Ethan Allen credit card and the balance is due this month or I have to pay high interest. Do Not buy from this Furniture Store. Years ago they were ok but not anymore. Their furniture is expensive and not worth the money and aggravation. Also I tried many times to contact the store mgr where I bought this sofa in Jacksonville and never received a callback. Big disappointment.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Love my headboard, I ordered online with Ethan Allen because my family has been buying from EA since we lived in NY. Then we relocated to RI, and still had a great experience. I hope now that I'm living in the South my experience with Ethan Allen does not change. So far so good.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We bought a Paramount Sleeper Sofa in 2013. In 2017 we noticed that the front pad that supports the cushions was bulging out (see photo). We contacted Ethan Allen and they said that because the problem was not in the frame, it was out of warranty. I looked at other pieces of furniture in our home and I noticed that the EA sofa, unlike other items, had a very “squishable” pad to support the cushions. We told EA that the sofa is seldom used (at most 20 times per year) and that my husband and I are not heavy and felt that there must be a problem with the design or construction.

The final decision came in an email, from which I copy directly: “In conjunction with our warranty department, Jenn and I have carefully reviewed each of your questions and concluded that the sofa is up to our manufacturing standards.” Our only option was to buy a replacement pad and pay a technician to replace it. When the pad arrived it was tightly rolled in a box (see photo). How is this soft pad supposed to support the weight of someone sitting on it? As I wrote EA, the sleeper and frame are “great”, unless one sits on the sofa. Not a good thing... for a sofa. And certainly not good “manufacturing standards” for Ethan Allen.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Purchased a sectional at their store. Paid nearly $6,000 for a simple sectional three months ago. Quality is probably the lowest of any piece of furniture I've ever seen. Every time someone sits on it, dye transfers from their clothes. After only three months, the back cushions are sagging and foam within them is deformed. Manager says the wear is "normal" and "performing to Ethan Allen standards." Sincerely disappointed! Save thousands and shop ANYWHERE else!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I ordered the Shelton Sofa on February 17th, 2018 and received the couch on March 10th, 2018. The couch was in perfect condition and was accurately depicted in all of the online pictures. I also had a great customer service experience; the delivery process was incredibly convenient. I received a phone call inquiring about what delivery times worked best for me. After the delivery time was agreed upon, I received a confirmation email, as well as a reminder email and phone call a few days before the actual delivery. I will be a lifelong Ethan Allen customer if this level of customer service and product quality continues.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Began the process of selecting and ordering a custom loveseat September 2017. I was told it would take 6 to 8 weeks. We did not receive the loveseat until February 2018. Their reasoning was that they had difficulty finding the material? Really??? I ordered pillows that were dark to offset the light couch. Confirmed the color with sale rep before product was received and then with the delivering party as light pillows were delivered. The customer sales rep that called refused to make the order right (and after all of the time we had waited, they were going to complain about redoing 2 small pillows? Seriously??). She was rude and condescending--I wouldn't train my customer sales reps to be that way!!! Additionally, the material had holes and snags which they have to come out to correct. I have not received any type of notification from them saying when that will be. I will NEVER use Ethan Allen again, nor recommend them to my friends or family!!

Resolution response: March 11, 2018

This is a follow up to my previous post. Ethan Allen's district manager got in touch with me following my post and expressed that the sentiment that the experience that I had does not reflect who they are. As I was still interested in the table, a new designer Ellen **, was sent to my home and she provided me with a completely different experience. Ellen was warm and incredibly helpful. She took her time to help me find a table and table base stain color and chair selections and fabric color for chairs. I felt that she really put her heart into her work. She made the process enjoyable. Ellen even provided me with additional info on interior design topics (chalk paint, where to get slipcovers). She went back to the office and additionally worked to get a better match for the chair seats that was 50 dollars lower (300$ savings) than the one we were thinking of and it matched better and met my needs.

I felt really comfortable with my decision and I am super excited about my new dining room. I really appreciated the effort this company took to correct the mistake. I have to be honest, that I did feel that both the district manager and Ellen came across as very genuine and sincere. I felt that they went the extra mile to make me happy. This company could have ignored my review but did not and though I am one customer they went out of their way to show me who they are. The price quoted was fair and reasonable. I look forward to purchasing Ethan Allen products again in the future.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I went to the Ethan Allen Rockville store to purchase a dining room table. I received a sales staff member who scheduled a design consultation and visited our home. The sales staff member insisted that she would only show me one table, one stain choice that she had selected. If I wanted to see more than one, then I would need to do it on my own, and she handed me the catalog. Unfortunately many stains are only available to view at the design center and I was given no assistance to look at them.

When I asked about whether the table easily picks up scratches, I was given a lecture as to how tables need care and if you take a nail and purposefully scratch a surface it will not hold up. I found this response to be very rude. I found that the sale staff was purposefully trying to make me not purchase at Ethan Allen and frankly the experience was very upsetting. The manager later tried to address the situation but I have still not heard back. Frankly very dissatisfied with my experience.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I recently purchased an Ethan Allen Cameron Extension table. I decided to purchase the table from Ethan Allen because I had heard from friends and family that Ethan Allen pieces are lifetime pieces that hold up extremely well. My sister has an Ethan Allen table that she purchased 12+ years ago that has held up extremely well so I expected that I would receive the same quality. I purchased the Cameron table by calling the Lynnwood WA Ethan Allen store. I received the table in early October 2017. Upon delivery of the table I noticed some very light micro scratches already on the table. With very light use (because we have another informal dining table we use for everyday) I have noticed more and more of the micro scratches and they now cover most of the table. We only use the table for formal dining and card games and puzzles.

We've only had the table since October and it sits by a window so the micro scratches are now extremely noticeable all day. I contacted Customer Service in November of 2017 and didn't hear anything back so I contacted Lynette at the Lynnwood Store and she put in another request to Customer Service. I finally received a call from Brian at Ethan Allen today and he told me that surface scratches are not covered under Ethan Allen's warranty and that there is nothing Ethan Allen will do for me. I explained that I have never spent this much on a table before and was expecting it to be a lifetime piece, but after only a few months I am embarrassed by how it looks.

He actually told me the only thing I could do was take a Scotch Brite sponge and orbital sander to the table. I'm not experienced in furniture repair and I don't own an orbital sander much less know how to use one and it seems to me a sander would remove the finish. I requested at least a discount on the table as I will have to now pay someone to repair and put a better finish on the table for me, but Brian said that he couldn't do anything. After I filed a complaint with the BBB, Corporate called and told me they'd give me 40% off a table pad. What a joke! I am disappointed and sick about the amount of money I spent for something that I expected much, much better quality of. I am extremely disappointed that Ethan Allen will not stand behind their products and for their insincere and uncaring customer service. It's disheartening that corporations that once had integrity now succumb to their bottom line over quality and customer service.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Went to Ethan Allen to look for sofa and wing back chairs. Purchased sofa and recliners in Chocolate Old English on 11/26/16 for store in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. They were delivered 01/19/17. Called store manager on 11/8/17. Footrest, headrest and even a part of recliner that my body doesn't touch, but touches other parts of the chair when reclined is faded. Took pictures as manager requested and sent it to him. Stopped by the store, on Monday, November 20 since I did not hear anything from manager. He took the week off, so I left my name and number to call me back.

The next day a salesperson from called me asking for pictures. I told her I had already sent in the pictures and just have the manager call me. He never called. I called him on December 8 and he said he just got an email from customer service and they said it was wear. I did not buy to furniture to look at. I did not intend to purchase cheap furniture at a high price. He told me to cut a piece of the extra leather and mail it to him and he would order a new footrest for me. And they would see about the rest when it was delivered. Wondered why this is happening to chairs and not to sofa. Discovered that sofa was ordered in Chocolate Old English Grade L 3 and 2 Townsend Recliners in Chocolate Old English Grade 3. Original salesman and manager pulled a fast one on us. What good is a new footrest going to be if it is covered in the same cheap leather! I want new chairs in the same leather as the sofa.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

The customer service with Ethan ** is the worst I've experienced in my 73 years and having owned a business. When questioning chairs, lighting fixtures that are overscaled... The salesperson insisted I was wrong and would be fine. Why I allowed it is beyond me when I let someone convince me that it was right when I knew better. If you are dissatisfied on delivery they claim everything is custom and cannot be returned which is not always true. I think the only thing that is custom is upholstery goods. The furniture has no character. You will have to eat their mistakes. Take my word for it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I bought this beautiful wooden high chair when my kids were born from Ethan Allen about 35 years ago. It was advertised as an "Heirloom" piece... to be handed down. So my children have children and I am ready to hand it down... Only one problem the tray has a broken piece that prevents the tray from sliding on and staying on. So I called the parts department and was laughed at... Told they don't carry the part... They don't carry high chairs. Obviously Ethan Allen didn't really think they would be an "Heirloom " piece. When I asked if they had any ideas for fixing the tray I was laughed at a second time and told "No"! What. Get public relations Ethan Allen!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I went to Ethan Allen in Knoxville, Tennessee as I was so satisfied with my old sofa which lasted 25 years. The designer, Mary Kay ** waited on me. I told her the sectional sofa I wanted to replace was called a "tuxedo design". She assured me that she knew exactly what I wanted as she had worked there for 30 years and knew the stock and styles to the letter. Well, I wound up with a sectional love seat. Too short to even stretch out on. The cushions are wrinkled and puckered and it looks like pure garbage. There was no way they would exchange the sofa for the style I wanted. They still make it as I saw it in their catalog. They did finally send out a guy to change the stuffing in the cushions. That looked better for about one day. Now it's worse than ever.

They have threatened me with big legal fees if I sue them and lose. This piece of garbage set me back well over $5,000. They could care less. I am so disgusted. I really feel ripped off and do not believe the company cares one bit now that the money is in their pocket. I am so disgusted. I recommend you go anywhere else to spend your money. In the grand scope of things a substitute sofa would cost them next to nothing and the remainder would be a tax write off. I am happy to write this review and they better not try to delete it. They are mean and heartless and don't care that I will never do business with them again. I have a 25 year old leather chair, coffee table and fern stand from them. I doubt anything new will last that long. Garbage! And mean spirited company!

Ethan Allen expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For over 80 years, this company has offered furnishings for living and dining rooms, bedrooms and offices, plus outdoor, lighting, rugs and décor.

• Services: Free consultations with a professional designer before you order.

• Delivery: Ship anywhere in the contiguous United States.

• Returns: Custom and clearance items cannot be returned.

• Warranty: Furniture protection plans available at multiple price tiers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs