2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.87/5

Ethan Allen Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethan Allen?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethan Allen?

Original review: March 7, 2021

I got lost on my way to the La-Z Boy store and saw a sign for Ethan Allen. I bought two items from them 25 years ago and still love them, so I thought I'd give them a try. Boy, am I glad I did! Holly helped me out and I quickly went from confused and indecisive to ecstatically happy. She has a lot of knowledge about everything in the store, all the nuances of comfort I was unaware of, and she seemed to be a mind reader as far as fabrics I would like. I couldn't be any happier with my shopping experience!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

Always quality furnishings. Excellent decor guidance with in-store professional designers. Consistent quality during all past years I’ve been buying from them. If a person needs home furnishings start here and compare. You will recognize the value.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I bought a custom sofa from EA, and it was great from start to finish with all custom options, it is beautiful and very comfortable. Excellent customer service from my sales designer: Drew. A custom fabric that would be railroad as opposed to up the bolt so the application would have no seams showing as I had chosen an option of a bench cushion, and then upgraded to spring down fill.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I have been purchasing furniture from Ethan Allen for over 30 years and am very satisfied with the quality as well as their customer service. Today my new dining chairs arrived. They are simply beautiful and well crafted.

Original review: April 1, 2021

We have purchased furniture from EA in the past and are satisfied with their products. We went to add two chairs to our dining set. When we made the purchase we were told of the $200 delivery fee. At that time we had already committed to the chairs and didn't want to walk away. We should have. On hindsight it is ridiculous and annoying. I asked if the chairs could be delivered to the store and we could pick up, but this was not an option. If you're buying a bunch of furniture, $200 is nothing. If you're buying 2 chairs, it is insane. Will not even consider going here for small purchases any longer. Probably reconsidering going here at all.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I purchased a living room set (couch, recliner, entertainment center) in 2017 from your Jacksonville office. I had some damage occur in December 2020 and January 2021. I submitted a claim in February and was denied because it was out of the reporting window. However, it took me TWO weeks to get ahold of someone in order to file said claim, after I was provided the number by one of the Ethan Allen associates and my order #**.

After noting the delay, I was later told by your customer service representative and Guardsman that the delay in reporting was my fault and it could have be done online. Guardsman then took 3 weeks to get back to me. If it is critical that reporting be done in a specific time frame, then why is a delay getting back to me acceptable? Specifically, I am having issue with the quality of your products and the guardsman furniture protection you sold. The finish has worn off on the top of the entertainment center and the couch stains/discolors easily.

I have filed a complaint with the BBB for guardsman furniture protection you sold me. Not only did they take multiple attempts to respond to the complain and 30 days, they don’t answer the phone, return messages, and you stay on hold for hours. They report these issues and delays to COVID, but I am not afforded the same rights. Refusing coverage during the pandemic to an essential healthcare worker because it is out of the time frame is despicable.

I didn’t report it in the appropriate time frame due to working at Cedars Sinai, a 1000 bed trauma center in downtown Los Angeles, during the peak and also didn’t feel comfortable having someone in my home until vaccinated which resulted in delay of reporting. My protection plan provided by Ethan Allen does not have this disclaimer. I emailed Ethan Allen customer service who said they would forward my request for help to the regional team, which I never heard back from.

After having to reach out twice, the same customer service representative who initially disregarded my email from the local store called me to inform me that she spoke to Guardsman on my behalf and there was nothing more she or Guardsman can do for me. Not everything is black and white, this is a very fluid situation. Like travel carriers have adjusted their policies to account for things outside of control due to pandemic, exceptions can be made for certain circumstances. NO THANKS HERE TO HEALTHCARE HEROES.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I complained to the store while the delivery men were still here. Pictures were sent over and they told me that they would take care of it. They were calling corporate. That was 5 weeks ago. The couch is now getting lumpy, the back cushions are indenting and not bouncing back, they are also getting out of shape because the covering is slipping around.

Original review: March 12, 2021

Having spent more than $4,000 on furniture from Ethan Allen, I would have expected better service. I ordered furniture on 12/3/20 and I was given a 3/6/21 delivery date and am now being told not expect delivery until sometime in May. Totally unacceptable when they have the use of your deposit for months and you have no living room furniture. It may be great quality but if you don't have the furniture, what good is their quality.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I have been a regular and loyal client of Ethan Allen in Bridgewater (Rt-22 E.) Two pieces of our furniture which are dark brown was purchased about six years ago but lately moved to our family room and use regularly. We just noticed that under the top layer of dye had been a different and lighter color dye and the top one was not directly applied to the natural leather. We used a damp towel to clean them and notice that the top layer is being removed and showing the layer under.

We contacted the store and as per their direction took pictures, wrote a letter and they don't even sell us a touch up dye/or the matching paint. We love the quality of leather and the structure but we feel that we were cheated. This unit been in pumpkin color and later re-dyed to a dark brown which never penetrated the natural leather. Now of course we are out of warranty and they don't help us with the touching up or providing us with the part. We would stay away from this supplier and their product.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

The Arcata three cushion sofa has been a great disappointment. After one year, and many complaints, this sofa did not stand up to what we were told. From the start it was supposed to be 93” it is not. It is lumpish in appearance and uncomfortable. It lost its look quickly. The center of the seat cushions sinks in. The back cushions must be fluffed and rotated often or they begin to look sloppy. We complained from the start, with photos. Ethan Allen sent someone out to replace cushions and covers. The same issue began again. Someone came out a second time to fluff and reassured us that fluffing and rotating would remedy the issue. One cannot fluff the seat cushions, as well as, one cannot sit on the cushions for any length of time without creating a sinkhole. I flip frequently, and fluff...

We wanted to exchange the sofa, however, after being reassured that the remedies would work, then time passed! IT WAS TOO LATE. Now, we are stuck with a sofa that is really only good for short sits, and after fluffing and rotating cushions, only good to look at, as we made it clear what we were looking for when purchasing. We do not recommend this sofa with these cushions. We expected Ethan Allen to do what was right, and exchange this sofa. We are more than unhappy with the ARCATA SOFA, also, we bought other living room pieces, of which we are happy with.

Ethan Allen author review by ConsumerAffairs

For over 80 years, this company has offered furnishings for living and dining rooms, bedrooms and offices, plus outdoor, lighting, rugs and décor.

• Services: Free consultations with a professional designer before you order.

• Delivery: Ship anywhere in the contiguous United States.

• Returns: Custom and clearance items cannot be returned.

• Warranty: Furniture protection plans available at multiple price tiers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team