1.56/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Ethan Allen

Looking for a good furniture store?

417 Ethan Allen Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 25, 2019

I was in the market for a new bed & had been perusing the Ethan Allen site for a few weeks. I had a random question (I don't remember what it was about) and decided to leverage the chat line. This outstanding designer - Jennifer ** answered my question and made several suggestions on what I could do with the new bed I purchased. As a result, I not only purchased a gorgeous bed, but 2 gorgeous nightstands & the dresser. My bedroom now looks like the oasis I've dreamt about thanks to Jennifer. She helped me moved beyond the 'sight unseen phobia', and out of my comfort zone! Delivery service was grade & thus far I am very pleased with my purchase & the service I received. I've already reached out to Jennifer for my second undertaking... She's the best!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I have never experience customer service so wonderful. I went to the Lake Oswego store and was helped by Zana ** - I cannot do her justice in this description, she was absolutely AMAZING! I had never purchased a quality dining room table before and she made it stress free and easy. She laid out all my options, was patient, and VERY informative about the products and what would work best for me and my family. She also went above and beyond. The first day I went in I was there for a while and she had a client appointment coming up- but never rushed me. Once I had a plan for all the items I wanted with finishes, fabrics, etc. she didn't have time to write me a quote but said she would email it to me later that afternoon when she returned after her in-house consultation.

Later that evening I got a voicemail from her apologizing for not yet sending it- she had gotten back to the store when it was closing, but stated she brought it home to email it to me but forgot to write down my email and needed it again. By the time I got the voicemail it was late so I text her giving her my email and stated she could send it to me the next day- but no, she still sent it to me that night!! I could not believe how wonderful she was. I sent an email back with a few changes and got a response quickly with a new quote and made an appointment with her to finalize it all. Because of her Ethan Allen will now be my primary home store. I could not thank her enough, she made my experience perfect- and I have very high standards.

Also, the furniture is BEAUTIFUL and great quality. There is nothing in the store that wouldn't last my lifetime. During this encounter I bought a dining room table and chairs, which I was able to finance with no interest for 6 months, AND a protection plan for 5 years for only $299! The prices are reasonable and match the quality of the items. I have no doubt that I will return. Thank you!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

We live now in South Florida and at the end of November we are moving to Fayetteville, GA. In the past I bought several pieces of furniture and decorations from Ethan Allen and was very pleased. I wanted to get some more pieces for the new house in GA, so I contacted over the phone the EA store in Peach Street City. I was very lucky when my call was answered by interior designer Jennifer **. I had my own ideas, but she improved on all of my choices and made them perfect. She went above and beyond to help me realize what I had envisioned and it took a lot of work on her part to accomplish this over the phone. On top of this, she's amiable, courteous and professional. Amazing experience!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I wanted to retract a post I made however it would not let me. My last post should have been about a Chads Ford employee that sold me bad merchandise then lied about the store managers refusing to return them. The post should have been a positive one as I love the store manager at King of Prussia. He’s always helpful and whenever there is an issue he helps work it out. I have shopped there for years and never had something not be rectified. It is one of the only Ethan Allen stores I shop at constantly.

I didn’t know anyone at Chads Ford so when I was treated badly and she was dishonest and stated her words came directly from the store manager it was inaccurate. David never knew and once he heard how upset I was he stepped in and did anything to help. I walked away with it being positive and I wanted my review to show that. I highly recommend King of Prussia or Chads Ford as places to shop and if you aren’t sure which designer to work with I would ask the store manager directly. I love how my designer is at King of Prussia. She is sweet and fun to work with. I feel like I’ve made good friends at this location and highly recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

About a year and a half after my couch was purchased, I noticed some discoloration on the leather. I reached out to Ethan Allen and was connected to JoAnn in delivery. She was amazing to work with. She was professional, friendly, and helpful. She communicated with me through every step of the process. Her colleague, Jeri, worked diligently on my behalf to get my sofa replaced. I am grateful to both of them for their hard work and to Ethan Allen for standing behind their products. Just a great and positive experience!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethan Allen?

Original review: July 18, 2019

When we ordered a custom bed for our new home, it took three months to arrive and when it came it did not fit up our staircase. The company then charged us a $900 restocking fee to return the bed, or we could wait an additional three months for a new bed. The alternate bed was not what we wanted for the room and they refused to refund our money. We were also given the run around through the Ethan Allen corporate structure with no one willing to give us a straight answer. Their tactic was to delay and play phone tag with us until we were absolutely crazy. This is not the company that it once was and there are plenty of high end furniture stores out there. Skip this one!!!

Original review: July 3, 2019

The service in this place is terrible. You have old grannies as their interior decorators with terrible taste. They don't ask the right questions to learn about your likes and dislikes, instead they just say, "Oh this is great, that is great." They provide you with images BUT the fabric is not even available!!! Their shipping policy sucks. They reward you if you buy less but if you buy more they penalize you with more fees. DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE? Get with the times folks!

Original review: June 25, 2019

I bought a sectional 3 years ago and we use it daily. No animals or small children. Just my husband and I. The couch has pilled and every one of the cushions even where we do not sit just thread off. They want me to pay 1300.00 to have new fabric sent to me. I will never purchase again. All I get is excuses and telling me there's nothing they can do.

Original review: April 27, 2019

We had difficulty finding a couch. Ethan Allen worked with us to find one that reclined correctly. When it turned out we didn’t need the battery pack, a refund was given quickly. We chose our own fabric and have a unique and comfortable couch. The salesperson visited our home to make sure the couch was just what we wanted - amazing service and quality! You get what you pay for at Ethan Allen!

Original review: April 14, 2019

I have purchased most of the furniture in our home from EA based on a History is quality a outstanding customer service - No More! The last piece had a defect in the corner of a cushion, and after handing to seal with seeing photos, a technician’s visit, having to place several calls to be told a cushion would be sent, having not received it, calling again to find out this had been escalated to higher management and consensus was that the defect was within EA’s standards for quality, I am done.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We had purchased furniture from Ethan Allen as we were a total loss in the Thomas CA Wildfires. The quality of the furniture is horrible and not what was sold and or advertised as "top quality, made in the USA, guaranteed service and quality". We had the choice to purchase our furniture, anywhere at any cost, and decided on Ethan Allen based upon the designer and their reputation. I can say this, furniture I had previous to the fire from Pottery Barn outperformed their furniture 10 to 1. Ongoing problems, mis-dyed fabrics, broken handles upon delivery, chipping varnish, slipcovers don't fit. Bad service, lag times for repairs, replacement. Our experience and the quality of furniture with Ethan Allen has been terrible. Damaged, bad constructed furniture and we spent $14,000.00.

Getting this resolved is a nightmare. Over 400 complaints from the Department of Consumer Affairs and BBB all with similar issues. Ethan Allen quality is not what it once was. It’s a shame. Especially after we lost everything in the fire and trying to make our new house a home again. We put our trust and confidence in your brand and have been let down. The core values from the CEO, FAROOQ KATHWARI, are far from the truth. We have only had the furniture for 4 months. No resolution.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been buying furniture from Ethan Allen for over 30 years. From the first piece I purchased to dozens of pieces I purchased over the years, I remain overjoyed at the quality and performance of their furniture! I receive compliments all the time on my home and how it is furnished and decorated. This is in large part to the quality and design of my Ethan Allen pieces.

Original review: March 1, 2019

We purchased a Ethan Allen bedroom set 10 years ago and it's impeccable condition. We have never had to call them about any problems with the quality of the furniture. We purchased some bar stools 3 years ago and started to have some issues with finish. Ethan Allen customer service is AWESOME. They had someone come pick them up and fix them. Love Ethan Allen for their furniture and customer service.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Bought my bed online on Black Friday. It took longer than I expected to arrive but it was worth the wait. Delivery men arrived promptly within time window and the bed set up took about 5 minutes because I have an adjustable bed so they just built around it. Love it! This is my second Danby. Fantastic value!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

From start to finish, working with Ethan Allen has been terrible. My Lynwood table finally arrived after 2 months and it arrived damaged. Getting this resolved is a nightmare. The store bounces me off to corporate and cares very little about our issues. The repair guy they contracted to come fix the table decided he didn't want to do the repairs so he left us hanging. He didn't show up for a scheduled appointment and didn't bother to call me and let me know he wasn't coming. Ethan Allen says they may consider giving me a discount but it would negate all warranties on the table (How fair is that? What a crumby offer.).

As of now, they are attempting to find another repair guy to come fix the table. You would think that Ethan Allen would have higher standards for such high priced merchandise (Lynwood table is over $4000). I expected so much more from Ethan Allen, this being my first (and last) purchase. Getting a damaged table SHOULD warrant an immediate replacement and from most other retailers it would, but not from Ethan Allen. If your item arrives damaged, too bad. So sad... You're going to get a repair job on what you thought would be a brand new, damage free item and you'll get a lot of rude people to deal with in the long, drawn out, nightmarish process. My advice, don't buy from Ethan Allen.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I ordered an accent table online at Ethan Allen. Before I ordered, I called a local store and was told it was in stock. I then ordered the table and when I received the confirmation it said delivery in 7 weeks! After a few weeks, I received an email stating it will now be shipped in 10 weeks and again another email in 13 weeks. I also checked my credit card statement and saw they charged me for the table that I still do not have. I now see the table is discounted more so I called customer service to see if they could give me the higher discount since I still do not have the table.

The lady said she could do something and would call me back and I never heard from her. I called Customer Service twice today and all I get is voicemail. Left two messages and no return call. The store can’t help as it is an online order. The worst customer service ever. I will certainly never buy from them again and tomorrow if I don’t hear from them, I’m going to stop payment. They shouldn’t have an item online to sell that they can’t deliver on. A bunch of crooks.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

We purchased a 3000$ table from these guys just over a year ago in Sandy, Utah. HORRIBLE OVERALL EXPERIENCE. The finish on the table started coming off about 3-6 months after we got the table. Our salesperson, Diane **, was the worst salesperson I have ever worked with. She was great right up until we needed her help after purchase. I cannot express how horrible this woman is. She literally had no time for us once we had already purchased from her and had an legitimate issue. They had a technician come out to inspect the finish issue. The technician concluded that it was a defect in material yet Ethan Allen still refused to do anything about it. I could go on and on and would be happy to if anyone wants to know more. I will never purchase anything from this shady company again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

From start to finish, I have been highly disappointed by my experience with Ethan Allen in Watchung, NJ. The designers are arrogant, overconfident in their skills, discourteous and dismissive. We spent a ton of money for poor quality window treatments that didn’t even hold up for a year. Don’t make the mistake we did! Avoid this place and save your money and sanity!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have an Ethan Allen Ashton curio cabinet that requires replacement rollers under the doors (as they were lost in a recent move). No one at their sales locations or customer service provides any help. In fact they seem to strive for excuses to avoid assisting a customer and told me that the case is too old when in fact they continue to carry the same piece with the same serial number. The conclusion was reached after four (4) calls to three locations.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My husband and I were renovating our master bedroom, and I fell in love with an Ethan Allen bedding set that cost over $1,000 for 4 items. We did not open the items immediately upon receipt other than to briefly look them over in their packaging, as our room was not yet completed. This past weekend after finally finishing our room I opened my new bedding excited to finally use it. I was dismayed to find two of the four items damaged. Our light blue duvet cover has what appears to be black dirt or grease marks in multiple places, and one of the pillow shams has orange marks on it as well as a rip in the fabric.

I contacted customer service who stated that because it has been more than 30 days they will not consider replacing or refunding the items. They also stated that the warranty on fabrics do not apply past the 30 days, which I do not understand as torn fabric is considered a manufacturing defect and the warranty on that is for one year. I explained that the items had never been opened before yesterday, I have all the original packaging, and was even happy to bring it into the store so they can inspect it and see it has never been used but the representative kept stating there was nothing to be done. So now my only option is to either pay MORE money to buy replacement items out of my own pocket, or essentially throw all of the items in the trash as I have an incomplete bedding set. Not to mention repaint my new bedroom as my walls were color matched to the bedding.

I am appalled that a reputable, high end company will not stand behind such poor quality control of their items and that a DESIGN company does not have more than a 30 day window for returns given the fact that many home or decorating projects are not always completed on a perfect timeline where the items will be opened or used right away. I highly advise anyone looking to purchase items there to think twice, and if they do to make sure they go over every inch of their items immediately upon delivery to ensure nothing is wrong since their quality control is clearly lacking.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I was given three throws as a thank you gift from friends of my sister's. The original order was bungled with my sister's name and the address of the credit card given mixed together. Once received, I decided to exchange one of the throws. First, the brick and mortar store wouldn't take it and told me I had to ship it. I wrote in and was given the return address to send it to. When I didn't hear from them in a month, I called in and found out they only return credit to the card - no exchange. So now the ladies that sent me this gift know I returned one of them. I had to pay for shipping. All in all, difficult experience.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

This review is written with a great deal of disappointment in a company that used to be one of the best. Our experience is similar to many others who have left reviews. In years past we purchased furniture from Ethan Allen and found the product to be high quality and well made. That was then, this is now. We ordered a leather chair (Soho leather chair in charcoal) from our local store in Okatie, SC. The chair as shown on their website and the sample we were shown was to appear naturally weathered and worn. This effect is achieved by a process of sanding the leather.

When the chair arrived, we thought the order had been mixed up and they had sent us the wrong chair. The chair was haphazardly sanded over the entire surface and over-sanded to the point of the original leather being unidentifiable as to color. It looked as if a sander had been given to a child. As one designer said when she saw a picture of the chair, "Someone had a bad day."

The staff at our local store, I believe, wanted to act with integrity and replace the chair. Corporate, however, refused to replace the chair saying the appearance was attributable to "color variations" in the leather. The problem had nothing to do with the color of the leather, but rather the atrocious sanding job. Ethan Allen offered to allow us to pay them a 40% restocking fee. In other words, we could pay them nearly half the cost of the chair and have *nothing* to show for it! How very generous of them. No thank you. Thank goodness we refused to accept the chair so it wasn't in our possession. We disputed the charges through our credit card company and, rightly so, were refunded the entire amount!

My advice to anyone considering buying furniture from this once good, now disreputable company is to proceed with caution. Their product is often low quality and the new corporate attitude is to get your money and refuse customer service. Also, when anything is delivered to your home, inspect it very carefully. If it isn't up to your expectations, refuse delivery. When you do this, ask the delivery person to initial a note made by you that you are not accepting delivery. The process for disputing a claim is somewhat lengthy and tedious but it is better than paying for a piece of furniture you either don't have or would be sad to have in your home.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

As part of remodeling my kitchen, I needed to find counter height chairs. After looking through several sites, I decided on a wood painted Windsor counter height chair. At the time there was a sale so I received a discounted price. The chairs are made for each order so they took about 10 weeks to arrive. They are exactly as described. The paint is well done, the chairs are comfortable to sit in. I am very pleased.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Lost a customer and completely rubbed the wrong way about this company. Wish I looked at reviews first, as I see many people have also had damaged items delivered. I ordered a very expensive table, and paid the mandatory "Premier" in home delivery service that claims that "exceptional customer service continues right to your door. Our skilled delivery team inspects and prepares each item before carefully assembling it (when necessary) and placing it in your home." My table arrived damaged, and I had to point out the damage to the delivery person. So much for a premier delivery service.

And now another day I must take off of work for the replacement. I contacted customer service asking for this premier delivery service charge to be refunded. She said they don't do that because it could have been damaged on the truck en route to delivery. Hmm ok? I then wrote back saying that the delivery person told me it came right out of the box, so I don't see how it could have been damaged on the truck. No response.

On top of everything, I was never contacted about my replacement like the delivery person said I would be, so I had to contact Ethan Allen. While on the phone with the representative I asked again if this premier delivery fee could be refunded, and the representative's excuse was that "well they're delivering it again." For heck sake I would hope they would replace a damaged item! Aren't I paying the premier delivery fee for things to be done right the first time?! I feel as though this company has no desire to satisfy their customers/retain customers. Just so disappointed, you would expect for such high prices customer service would be better.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased a living room set from Ethan Allen that included a coffee table and end table with matching wood and finish. The coffee table was delivered with flaws in the top (small white divots). Ethan Allen claims the marks were there on purpose to simulate distressing... However there are none of these "distressing" marks on the matching end table. Ethan Allen refused to fix or take back the table. I had to have a local woodworker sand and refinish the table. I would not purchase from Ethan Allen again. Very poor customer service. No concern for customer satisfaction...

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I purchased a bed from Ethan Allen. The bed was delivered with damage. You could see where they poorly tried to repair. After numerous complaints they replaced the bed. The second bed has a very poor finish. I will never buy from them again. Their quality is not close to what it use to be. Stay away if you want high end furniture.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I custom-ordered the California king Cayman bed from Ethan Allen, and the wait was worth it! Order and delivery process was seamless, staff were extremely professional in delivery and set-up, and the new bed looks great in our home.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Have been customer with Ethan Allen for 10+ yrs. November 2017 I purchased Cameron trestle table. it was delivered April 13,2018. By End of June noticed surface was very scratched, called local store about this issue and explained other than playing cards 3-4 times on table, we had not used table for meals or other activity. Was informed I should have put pad on table from time of purchase. Told “They don’t finish tables like they use to!" I asked why pay 2k+ for table I’m covering up with pad. Was told that’s the only way to keep table from scratching.

Was given customer service number. Called number, 6 weeks later finally had a service man come to my home and look at table. He does repairs for EA. He told me this was normal with wood tables, but his side company could take it to the shop and redo to give me a better and more durable surface. Again I was told “They just don’t make them like they use to!!!” Customer service called me to inform me my claim was denied due to normal use. Will not be shopping here again.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have had the worst customer service experience that is consistent with many other reviews regarding Ethan Allen. First let me say that I have been an Ethan Allen customer for over 20 years, and most of our home is decorated with Ethan Allen furniture. I have a sofa and love seat in our living room and a dining room set that is 20 years old and both look like new.

Most recently we had an order totaling approximately $10,000. Our designer was fantastic to deal with and we had fun working with him to make our selections and purchase. That’s where the fun stopped. First, delivery was months late. Then two recliners that were part of the order were delivered and we found that one was damaged with leather torn on the back of one chair that we didn’t notice until after the delivery team had left the house. When we reported to our salesperson we were immediately directed to customer service. Customer Service sent a repair person to our house who confirmed the damage, then he unsuccessfully tried to repair the torn leather, then we were told the furniture would be repaired by replacing the chair back.

We disputed this with no success. So we agreed to have the back of the chair repaired. Ethan Allen had to order the part which took months to receive. When the part was finally delivered, the installer came to the house to do the repair only to find that the color of the leather on the replacement part was a mismatch. After much deliberations with customer service they finally agreed to replace both chairs. It was amazing to me that they could not understand that different lots could result in different leather color. It took several more months before we finally received new chairs. Customer service graciously allowed us to continue to use the chairs that were originally delivered while we waited for the order. By the time we received the replacement chairs we noticed that the frame on one of the chairs had already started to break down and made the chair appear crooked. We now have the 2 new chairs and the matter is resolved.

Now onto the next problem, the Adam dining table. We noticed that the table finish was defective, as the table would spot with the touch of a finger. We researched to see how to care for the tabletop and all the care instructions state is wipe the top with a soft damp cloth. That didn’t work and actually left more marks on the tabletop. We contacted the salesperson about this and his advice was wipe the tabletop with a damp soft cloth. Since we were dealing with the chair issue we just didn’t use the table. Then when chair issue was resolved we contacted customer service who sent a third party repair person to the house. The repair person attempted to clean the table and left marks where he attempted to clean. He told us the tabletop finish was defective and that he would report.

After some time we had to contact customer service again as we heard nothing. The customer service agent told us she had received the repair tech’s report and that she would submit a claim to the main customer service office requesting a replacement, however for us not to expect a replacement. Naturally with the passing of time we have now heard that the claim is denied because we did not report timely and they believe this is normal use. I am extremely offended that customer service has declared damage by their repair tech as our misuse. However they offered us the opportunity to purchase a replacement tabletop at a 50% price reduction of $312 plus shipping, with no warranty. We have disputed this outcome stressing the damage caused by the repair tech and his feedback that this tabletop is defective.

At this point we have the choice to look at this newly purchased damaged table or purchase the replacement top. We ordered the replacement top yesterday, had to pay 100% of the cost, tax, and shipping to place the order with the store receptionist. She was very nice, but the store in Charleston, SC didn’t even have the courtesy or professionalism to have our salesperson or store manager work with us on this order. Now it is wait to see how long it will take to be delivered. I have also posted a review on Facebook, as the Ethan Allen website does not have a function to post reviews, and I received an arrogant reply from customer service that offended me as the client. This company obviously is not what it used to be, and I will never step foot in this store again. Buyer Beware.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Good evening, My wife and I are building a house and worked with a sales representative at Ethan Allen (Robbi). She was an absolute pleasure to work with and I would recommend her to anyone that is looking for an intelligent salesperson that is not all about the sale. That is where the glowing endorsement stops. We were spending a great deal of money on furniture and inquired about a discount on the purchase. Our associate informed us that would not be possible, but we could address the matter with her boss, Jack **, Estero, Florida.

Never have I felt so berated. This person came off as an arrogant, condescending **. I did not expect the request to be fulfilled, but one cannot be told yes or no if they do not ask... In short, from the moment he answered the phone, I felt like I was imposing on his time and how dare I contact him to ask for any type of discount. Without saying the words, he informed me that there are many furniture stores out there and, "Please take your business elsewhere." Normally, I would just move on and let it go, but in this case, the arrogance displayed by this individual must be noted to let others know, yes, there are other furniture stores in the area and it is a shame the sales agent lost her commission due the arrogance of her boss.

Ethan Allen expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For over 80 years, this company has offered furnishings for living and dining rooms, bedrooms and offices, plus outdoor, lighting, rugs and décor.

• Services: Free consultations with a professional designer before you order.

• Delivery: Ship anywhere in the contiguous United States.

• Returns: Custom and clearance items cannot be returned.

• Warranty: Furniture protection plans available at multiple price tiers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs