1.61/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Ethan Allen

Looking for a good furniture store?

Ethan Allen Reviews

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I ordered an accent table online at Ethan Allen. Before I ordered, I called a local store and was told it was in stock. I then ordered the table and when I received the confirmation it said delivery in 7 weeks! After a few weeks, I received an email stating it will now be shipped in 10 weeks and again another email in 13 weeks. I also checked my credit card statement and saw they charged me for the table that I still do not have. I now see the table is discounted more so I called customer service to see if they could give me the higher discount since I still do not have the table.

The lady said she could do something and would call me back and I never heard from her. I called Customer Service twice today and all I get is voicemail. Left two messages and no return call. The store can’t help as it is an online order. The worst customer service ever. I will certainly never buy from them again and tomorrow if I don’t hear from them, I’m going to stop payment. They shouldn’t have an item online to sell that they can’t deliver on. A bunch of crooks.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

We purchased a 3000$ table from these guys just over a year ago in Sandy, Utah. HORRIBLE OVERALL EXPERIENCE. The finish on the table started coming off about 3-6 months after we got the table. Our salesperson, Diane **, was the worst salesperson I have ever worked with. She was great right up until we needed her help after purchase. I cannot express how horrible this woman is. She literally had no time for us once we had already purchased from her and had an legitimate issue. They had a technician come out to inspect the finish issue. The technician concluded that it was a defect in material yet Ethan Allen still refused to do anything about it. I could go on and on and would be happy to if anyone wants to know more. I will never purchase anything from this shady company again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

From start to finish, I have been highly disappointed by my experience with Ethan Allen in Watchung, NJ. The designers are arrogant, overconfident in their skills, discourteous and dismissive. We spent a ton of money for poor quality window treatments that didn’t even hold up for a year. Don’t make the mistake we did! Avoid this place and save your money and sanity!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have an Ethan Allen Ashton curio cabinet that requires replacement rollers under the doors (as they were lost in a recent move). No one at their sales locations or customer service provides any help. In fact they seem to strive for excuses to avoid assisting a customer and told me that the case is too old when in fact they continue to carry the same piece with the same serial number. The conclusion was reached after four (4) calls to three locations.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My husband and I were renovating our master bedroom, and I fell in love with an Ethan Allen bedding set that cost over $1,000 for 4 items. We did not open the items immediately upon receipt other than to briefly look them over in their packaging, as our room was not yet completed. This past weekend after finally finishing our room I opened my new bedding excited to finally use it. I was dismayed to find two of the four items damaged. Our light blue duvet cover has what appears to be black dirt or grease marks in multiple places, and one of the pillow shams has orange marks on it as well as a rip in the fabric.

I contacted customer service who stated that because it has been more than 30 days they will not consider replacing or refunding the items. They also stated that the warranty on fabrics do not apply past the 30 days, which I do not understand as torn fabric is considered a manufacturing defect and the warranty on that is for one year. I explained that the items had never been opened before yesterday, I have all the original packaging, and was even happy to bring it into the store so they can inspect it and see it has never been used but the representative kept stating there was nothing to be done. So now my only option is to either pay MORE money to buy replacement items out of my own pocket, or essentially throw all of the items in the trash as I have an incomplete bedding set. Not to mention repaint my new bedroom as my walls were color matched to the bedding.

I am appalled that a reputable, high end company will not stand behind such poor quality control of their items and that a DESIGN company does not have more than a 30 day window for returns given the fact that many home or decorating projects are not always completed on a perfect timeline where the items will be opened or used right away. I highly advise anyone looking to purchase items there to think twice, and if they do to make sure they go over every inch of their items immediately upon delivery to ensure nothing is wrong since their quality control is clearly lacking.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethan Allen?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

We live now in South Florida and at the end of November we are moving to Fayetteville, GA. In the past I bought several pieces of furniture and decorations from Ethan Allen and was very pleased. I wanted to get some more pieces for the new house in GA, so I contacted over the phone the EA store in Peach Street City. I was very lucky when my call was answered by interior designer Jennifer **. I had my own ideas, but she improved on all of my choices and made them perfect. She went above and beyond to help me realize what I had envisioned and it took a lot of work on her part to accomplish this over the phone. On top of this, she's amiable, courteous and professional. Amazing experience!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I was given three throws as a thank you gift from friends of my sister's. The original order was bungled with my sister's name and the address of the credit card given mixed together. Once received, I decided to exchange one of the throws. First, the brick and mortar store wouldn't take it and told me I had to ship it. I wrote in and was given the return address to send it to. When I didn't hear from them in a month, I called in and found out they only return credit to the card - no exchange. So now the ladies that sent me this gift know I returned one of them. I had to pay for shipping. All in all, difficult experience.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

This review is written with a great deal of disappointment in a company that used to be one of the best. Our experience is similar to many others who have left reviews. In years past we purchased furniture from Ethan Allen and found the product to be high quality and well made. That was then, this is now. We ordered a leather chair (Soho leather chair in charcoal) from our local store in Okatie, SC. The chair as shown on their website and the sample we were shown was to appear naturally weathered and worn. This effect is achieved by a process of sanding the leather.

When the chair arrived, we thought the order had been mixed up and they had sent us the wrong chair. The chair was haphazardly sanded over the entire surface and over-sanded to the point of the original leather being unidentifiable as to color. It looked as if a sander had been given to a child. As one designer said when she saw a picture of the chair, "Someone had a bad day."

The staff at our local store, I believe, wanted to act with integrity and replace the chair. Corporate, however, refused to replace the chair saying the appearance was attributable to "color variations" in the leather. The problem had nothing to do with the color of the leather, but rather the atrocious sanding job. Ethan Allen offered to allow us to pay them a 40% restocking fee. In other words, we could pay them nearly half the cost of the chair and have *nothing* to show for it! How very generous of them. No thank you. Thank goodness we refused to accept the chair so it wasn't in our possession. We disputed the charges through our credit card company and, rightly so, were refunded the entire amount!

My advice to anyone considering buying furniture from this once good, now disreputable company is to proceed with caution. Their product is often low quality and the new corporate attitude is to get your money and refuse customer service. Also, when anything is delivered to your home, inspect it very carefully. If it isn't up to your expectations, refuse delivery. When you do this, ask the delivery person to initial a note made by you that you are not accepting delivery. The process for disputing a claim is somewhat lengthy and tedious but it is better than paying for a piece of furniture you either don't have or would be sad to have in your home.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

As part of remodeling my kitchen, I needed to find counter height chairs. After looking through several sites, I decided on a wood painted Windsor counter height chair. At the time there was a sale so I received a discounted price. The chairs are made for each order so they took about 10 weeks to arrive. They are exactly as described. The paint is well done, the chairs are comfortable to sit in. I am very pleased.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Lost a customer and completely rubbed the wrong way about this company. Wish I looked at reviews first, as I see many people have also had damaged items delivered. I ordered a very expensive table, and paid the mandatory "Premier" in home delivery service that claims that "exceptional customer service continues right to your door. Our skilled delivery team inspects and prepares each item before carefully assembling it (when necessary) and placing it in your home." My table arrived damaged, and I had to point out the damage to the delivery person. So much for a premier delivery service.

And now another day I must take off of work for the replacement. I contacted customer service asking for this premier delivery service charge to be refunded. She said they don't do that because it could have been damaged on the truck en route to delivery. Hmm ok? I then wrote back saying that the delivery person told me it came right out of the box, so I don't see how it could have been damaged on the truck. No response.

On top of everything, I was never contacted about my replacement like the delivery person said I would be, so I had to contact Ethan Allen. While on the phone with the representative I asked again if this premier delivery fee could be refunded, and the representative's excuse was that "well they're delivering it again." For heck sake I would hope they would replace a damaged item! Aren't I paying the premier delivery fee for things to be done right the first time?! I feel as though this company has no desire to satisfy their customers/retain customers. Just so disappointed, you would expect for such high prices customer service would be better.

Ethan Allen Company Information