2.49/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Ethan Allen

Looking for a good furniture store?

420 Ethan Allen Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have an Ethan Allen Ashton curio cabinet that requires replacement rollers under the doors (as they were lost in a recent move). No one at their sales locations or customer service provides any help. In fact they seem to strive for excuses to avoid assisting a customer and told me that the case is too old when in fact they continue to carry the same piece with the same serial number. The conclusion was reached after four (4) calls to three locations.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My husband and I were renovating our master bedroom, and I fell in love with an Ethan Allen bedding set that cost over $1,000 for 4 items. We did not open the items immediately upon receipt other than to briefly look them over in their packaging, as our room was not yet completed. This past weekend after finally finishing our room I opened my new bedding excited to finally use it. I was dismayed to find two of the four items damaged. Our light blue duvet cover has what appears to be black dirt or grease marks in multiple places, and one of the pillow shams has orange marks on it as well as a rip in the fabric.

I contacted customer service who stated that because it has been more than 30 days they will not consider replacing or refunding the items. They also stated that the warranty on fabrics do not apply past the 30 days, which I do not understand as torn fabric is considered a manufacturing defect and the warranty on that is for one year. I explained that the items had never been opened before yesterday, I have all the original packaging, and was even happy to bring it into the store so they can inspect it and see it has never been used but the representative kept stating there was nothing to be done. So now my only option is to either pay MORE money to buy replacement items out of my own pocket, or essentially throw all of the items in the trash as I have an incomplete bedding set. Not to mention repaint my new bedroom as my walls were color matched to the bedding.

I am appalled that a reputable, high end company will not stand behind such poor quality control of their items and that a DESIGN company does not have more than a 30 day window for returns given the fact that many home or decorating projects are not always completed on a perfect timeline where the items will be opened or used right away. I highly advise anyone looking to purchase items there to think twice, and if they do to make sure they go over every inch of their items immediately upon delivery to ensure nothing is wrong since their quality control is clearly lacking.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I was given three throws as a thank you gift from friends of my sister's. The original order was bungled with my sister's name and the address of the credit card given mixed together. Once received, I decided to exchange one of the throws. First, the brick and mortar store wouldn't take it and told me I had to ship it. I wrote in and was given the return address to send it to. When I didn't hear from them in a month, I called in and found out they only return credit to the card - no exchange. So now the ladies that sent me this gift know I returned one of them. I had to pay for shipping. All in all, difficult experience.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

This review is written with a great deal of disappointment in a company that used to be one of the best. Our experience is similar to many others who have left reviews. In years past we purchased furniture from Ethan Allen and found the product to be high quality and well made. That was then, this is now. We ordered a leather chair (Soho leather chair in charcoal) from our local store in Okatie, SC. The chair as shown on their website and the sample we were shown was to appear naturally weathered and worn. This effect is achieved by a process of sanding the leather.

When the chair arrived, we thought the order had been mixed up and they had sent us the wrong chair. The chair was haphazardly sanded over the entire surface and over-sanded to the point of the original leather being unidentifiable as to color. It looked as if a sander had been given to a child. As one designer said when she saw a picture of the chair, "Someone had a bad day."

The staff at our local store, I believe, wanted to act with integrity and replace the chair. Corporate, however, refused to replace the chair saying the appearance was attributable to "color variations" in the leather. The problem had nothing to do with the color of the leather, but rather the atrocious sanding job. Ethan Allen offered to allow us to pay them a 40% restocking fee. In other words, we could pay them nearly half the cost of the chair and have *nothing* to show for it! How very generous of them. No thank you. Thank goodness we refused to accept the chair so it wasn't in our possession. We disputed the charges through our credit card company and, rightly so, were refunded the entire amount!

My advice to anyone considering buying furniture from this once good, now disreputable company is to proceed with caution. Their product is often low quality and the new corporate attitude is to get your money and refuse customer service. Also, when anything is delivered to your home, inspect it very carefully. If it isn't up to your expectations, refuse delivery. When you do this, ask the delivery person to initial a note made by you that you are not accepting delivery. The process for disputing a claim is somewhat lengthy and tedious but it is better than paying for a piece of furniture you either don't have or would be sad to have in your home.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

As part of remodeling my kitchen, I needed to find counter height chairs. After looking through several sites, I decided on a wood painted Windsor counter height chair. At the time there was a sale so I received a discounted price. The chairs are made for each order so they took about 10 weeks to arrive. They are exactly as described. The paint is well done, the chairs are comfortable to sit in. I am very pleased.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethan Allen?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Lost a customer and completely rubbed the wrong way about this company. Wish I looked at reviews first, as I see many people have also had damaged items delivered. I ordered a very expensive table, and paid the mandatory "Premier" in home delivery service that claims that "exceptional customer service continues right to your door. Our skilled delivery team inspects and prepares each item before carefully assembling it (when necessary) and placing it in your home." My table arrived damaged, and I had to point out the damage to the delivery person. So much for a premier delivery service.

And now another day I must take off of work for the replacement. I contacted customer service asking for this premier delivery service charge to be refunded. She said they don't do that because it could have been damaged on the truck en route to delivery. Hmm ok? I then wrote back saying that the delivery person told me it came right out of the box, so I don't see how it could have been damaged on the truck. No response.

On top of everything, I was never contacted about my replacement like the delivery person said I would be, so I had to contact Ethan Allen. While on the phone with the representative I asked again if this premier delivery fee could be refunded, and the representative's excuse was that "well they're delivering it again." For heck sake I would hope they would replace a damaged item! Aren't I paying the premier delivery fee for things to be done right the first time?! I feel as though this company has no desire to satisfy their customers/retain customers. Just so disappointed, you would expect for such high prices customer service would be better.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

About a year and a half after my couch was purchased, I noticed some discoloration on the leather. I reached out to Ethan Allen and was connected to JoAnn in delivery. She was amazing to work with. She was professional, friendly, and helpful. She communicated with me through every step of the process. Her colleague, Jeri, worked diligently on my behalf to get my sofa replaced. I am grateful to both of them for their hard work and to Ethan Allen for standing behind their products. Just a great and positive experience!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased a living room set from Ethan Allen that included a coffee table and end table with matching wood and finish. The coffee table was delivered with flaws in the top (small white divots). Ethan Allen claims the marks were there on purpose to simulate distressing... However there are none of these "distressing" marks on the matching end table. Ethan Allen refused to fix or take back the table. I had to have a local woodworker sand and refinish the table. I would not purchase from Ethan Allen again. Very poor customer service. No concern for customer satisfaction...

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I purchased a bed from Ethan Allen. The bed was delivered with damage. You could see where they poorly tried to repair. After numerous complaints they replaced the bed. The second bed has a very poor finish. I will never buy from them again. Their quality is not close to what it use to be. Stay away if you want high end furniture.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I custom-ordered the California king Cayman bed from Ethan Allen, and the wait was worth it! Order and delivery process was seamless, staff were extremely professional in delivery and set-up, and the new bed looks great in our home.

Ethan Allen Company Information