1.56/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

413 Ethan Allen Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

I needed furniture and decoration for both my dining room and living room and knew Ethan Allen offered interior design services at no cost, so I called the nearest store in the hope of discovering how to proceed with such services. When I explained my situation to the lady who answered the phone and asked how to proceed, she informed me, "Well, you have to...you know...actually come INTO the store," [with a more than significant tone of disdain in her voice] implying I wasn't aware of this obvious starting point. Then she stated, "well...you know..you actually have to actually BUY our products..." [with an even harsher tone] implying I wasn't planning on doing so. Guess what? I absolutely 100% vehemently plan to NEVER do now... That's right, Ethan Allen, I will take my 5 digit budget elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2015

This is my first time purchasing from Ethan Allen - and my last. I believed I was paying a premium for quality and service. But late delivery, our salesperson hanging up on us, and response they can't control delivery - not the service I was expecting. I hesitated in making the initial purchase - but made the decision to buy based upon the advertised 8-10 weeks and promise of delivery before Christmas. I am sorry I did. At the store level, a customer assistant - not our salesperson - is doing their best - but apparently with no support from management. There is no apparent effort/option to expedite without my persistence - just whatever is their standard routing and scheduling. "Standard" I can purchase anywhere; never again at Ethan Allen prices.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

I used to be a very loyal Ethan Allen customer, but their product quality and service has deteriorated to the point I won't spend another dime with them. The last item I purchased was a leather sofa. Their later brochure touts, "Ethan Allen leather gets more beautiful with time." In reality, I'm pretty certain the "leather" sofa I purchased isn't even leather. It has a flaky, wrinkly look to it, and when scratched, a white plasticy material shows through the "leather." (It is unlike any other leather I own or have experienced.) It looks and feels like plastic. Customer service was unresponsive unless consistently contacted and after weeks or proving, finally stated that there wasn't an issue with the leather. Their quality, and service, has deteriorated and they don't stand behind their products. I shopped at Ethan Allen because I wanted a quality product. What I got was junk.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

My husband and I turned to Ethan Allen to buy leather sectional based on what our parents always thought of the company. Well, buyer beware. In Spring 2014 our "leather" sectional was delivered. Recently, 11/2015, a cup of water sat on its side and dried onto the leather. When the cup was picked up, a thin top coating came off and the area bubbled and peeled and all color and texture disappeared.

When we called about it, first they couldn't find record of our purchase until I found the receipt and told them the order number. They then said it was out of warranty. So I took my cushion to the store! Two employees are recorded on tape saying that the sofa sold to me is top grain leather. The sample in the store is a beautiful top grain leather. What sits in my family room I am not sure but I do know it is not top grain leather. Top grain leather does not peel and lose its color and texture. In front of the store manager, I attempted to ruin the sample in the store and it's virtually impossible but, I can peel my sofa!!! The store shows the customer a beautiful sample of top grain leather, the catalog boasts hand rubbed top grain made in North America (MEXICO), and the website does too. The product label show that it's all made in Mexico and no mention of leather. Just "product of unknown origin"!!! Where is it from. MARS?

The salespeople and customer service people are so programmed it's scary. The store quickly tells you to call corporate and corporate quickly tells you to call the store. No one wants to take responsibility for this fraud. The owner of the store is a coward and the the CEO should be ashamed. No one from corporate has returned my call. The store had the cushion repaired (painted) even though I asked for it not to be but I still have a whole lot of the stuff in my home to support my case. They rang my doorbell not making an appointment. So I have hired an attorney who is going to knock on their door without an appointment.

Recently, shareholders voted to allow Sandell to oversee the governance of Ethan Allen. It is clearly a much needed change. I sincerely hope that Sandell looks into the so called "vertically integrated" manufacturing model. The company has claimed to improve margins but has cut quality and customer satisfaction. This is a bad bad direction and will lead to the loss of its customers who should be legacy customers. You cannot maintain legacy customers by misrepresenting product and then not standing by it!!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2015

Ethan Allen in 1780 could have produced furniture faster than these guys deliver. Our stuff was coming in late October, then late November, now late December. Let's see what happens. Inexcusable for such a expensive company. This organization is a lumbering dinosaur waiting to be pushed aside by some nimble, upstart furniture mfr. Maybe that new company is out there already - if so, let me know.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethan Allen?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

'Ethan Allen is much more than a retailer', says a proud statement at the website. Indeed it is. It is also my worst retail experience in US so far. Most of the items are highly overpriced. The explanation is exclusivity. That is total bollocks and could even be funny if not the sales people. They are called 'designer consultant' prepared to drill a hole in one's head about EA exceptional product, which one should be happy & honored to buy.

Wanted to buy dining table at the Ethan Allen shop in Manchester CT. Knew exactly what I wanted. Didn't need a 'designer' who would happily annoy me with her/his suggestions. Got a 'designer' anyway, because there is no option to do without. Had a conversation. Returned next day with my husband to show him the piece. My 'designer' was off that day, so we had to have an experience with a designer consultant Mark **. Mr. ** announced that he is not our 'designer' so he cannot really help us. I replied that I didn't want a designer, but simply to buy a table. We exchanged opinions, the conversation got heated. Mr. ** acted like a drama queen. Self-importance galore.

How more ridiculous could be a situation where the salesperson tries to impose his superior demeanor on you instead of a mere practical assistance. And where?! In glorious town of Manchester, CT:-))))) So here am I: Nicosia, Dubai, Hong Kong, Beirut, Milan, New York, Rio, Sydney, London, Tokyo, Boston and finally in Manchester CT. I am subtly scolded and explained how things work in glamorous world of Ethan Allan. I feel lost. On a practical note: my husband got pissed off, we are not buying a table, I am writing official letter of complaint to the management. Oh and I read the customer reviews... Heaven forbid if I ever set a foot into this shop again.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2015

My wife went down to the Ethan Allen store in Quincy MA to order a custom bed, trundle bed, bedside table and mattresses for my son's room. When it arrived, the shippers left the trundle bed standing on end and said it didn't fit. Numerous calls to EA essentially all said the same thing. "You are responsible for verifying it would fit and it's not our fault it doesn't. No returns." How in the world is it my wife's responsibility to know the furniture better than the "designers" who work there?

I pushed harder and got a supervisor at the corporate headquarters involved. She said the same thing, no returns. Then after I went off in an email she offered a 33% restocking fee that she felt was "fair" and unusually courteous of them. So I made a website dedicated to my customer service experience at Ethan Allen, which has somewhat moderated my rage at spending $10k and being incensed while doing so. The only way I got even an iota of satisfaction is I emailed the not-so-flattering website to the entire board of directors and they offered to waive the restocking fee in exchange for transfer of the domain names. Ha, I think I'll keep it in case anyone else wants to sound off.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2015

There are multiple issues but the one I want to focus on is the warranty. We bought the five year all issues covered. We have since turned in a claim. The warranty company is trying to get Ethan Allen to honor the replacement. They won't because they said it was under different owners when we bought the sofa and love seat. As you can imagine my only options are to walk away or get an attorney involved.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

Our sales representative at first appearance was polite and well mannered. What a showmanship she was!!! Sarcastic and rude barely describes her. I will withhold her name in holding high hope that she reads this and changes her behavior towards other buyers. Last parting words from her "difficult, difficult, difficult customers" assuming she was pissed off because we didn't like her suggestions. However purchased $15,000 worth of product. The emails from her are over the top sarcastic!!! I am done with Ethan Allen.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

We bought our bedroom set April 2014 and the furniture still smells. At first, we thought the smell comes from the newly installed wall to wall carpet. We made a complaint to the carpet store. They came and replaced the carpet. However, we still had bad smell after months passed so decided to get rid of the carpet and have bare wood floor which we have underneath the carpet originally. The room still smells and we finally realized that the smell comes from the furniture. We went through all these trouble but we haven't been able to use the room because of the smell from the furniture.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

Sofa bought 6/30/15. They do not let you take fabric to YOUR home to see how it will look. Was told by sales person that I would be provided with fabric within 72 hours. THAT NEVER happened. Called Frisco store with NO help. They just state "how sorry they are." I have contacted the CEO in CT. NO response from him. The Customer Service people listen then hang up. Tell you they will call back in 48 hrs. 2 people did. Come out to my home, one VERY nasty. No help here! Color looks so BAD I could cry... EA Policy is NO RETURNS Ever!!! Have asked for $$$ back. BEST ADVICE is stay away from EA. Wish I had! Have never sat on this $$$ sofa. I am so very sad over this purchase.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

We purchased the table and 4 chairs and are disappointed in the quality of the "hardwood". In the store we were told they were hardwood, but now that we have them; there is no way these are hardwood. They dent and scratch too easily... Within weeks of use... We are 2 50+ year old adults and do not 'bang' things around... We had a guest push a chair in and there is a dent/gouge in the chair and table edge where they met. The finish on one of the 2 most used chairs is wearing after 18 months where one places fingers to pull chair out from table. I would not recommend these items especially if you have children.

I would recommend to ask for written material that states "hardwood"... The literature states "premium lumber and veneers carefully selected and handled to guarantee premium quality". And, if you should happen to call the sales rep... She will apologize, tell you she will talk to her manager and get back to you only never to be heard from again. We went to a competitor for our family room furniture a few months after this purchase and couldn't be more pleased. Ethan Allen never again!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

Just received my table and chairs for my breakfast room. Chairs' quality is horrible. Can see the seam lines in the wood of 5 of the 6 chairs. Cushions are not lined flat to the wood allowing you to see straight through the openings. Chairs do not fit properly with the size of the table making 4 on the sides to seat with an off balance. As for the size of the table...I would expect the salesperson to let me know that the size of the chairs with the table would be an issue. The salesperson laughed and asked was my reason for wanting to return the set was because I am really just mad that it took so long for the delivery? Also, was told that someone would have to come out take pictures and then submit to see if there was a problem. Then if there was a problem they would have to take the furniture for REPAIRS and this would take 6 to 8 more weeks. Uh, now I'm mad!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

I purchased an Ethan Allen dining room set about 11 years ago. The armchairs have been losing their finish for several years. The upholstery is detaching and the padding for the upholstery is shot. Ethan Allen said they will recommend a business to contact for repairs, but I would have to pay the full cost of any repairs. In other words, they do not stand by their products at all. Of all the problems with their chairs, I did not expect to have the finish disappear. I thought I was purchasing a better quality product than it appears I did. Ethan Allen will not stand behind their furniture.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2015

I purchased a sofa approximately two years ago. I paid over $4000 for this sofa. After delivery I noticed the seat cushion kept sliding away from the back. I called

customer service as there were no hooks anchoring the seat to the base. Thinking this would fix the problem. The seat cushion continued to slip forward, anytime I sit on the sofa I fall into the gap. I keep putting pillows behind me to offset the problem. I called customer service again and was advised to upgrade seat cushion. I was charged $300 for upgrade. Three months later I realize they replaced the cushion with exactly the same quality. When I first ordered this sofa I thought I ordered top of the line cushion. I hate this sofa so much, I have never had a comfortable experience sitting on it. I will never spend another dime in this store again. I spent $80000 initially. PS I saw same sofa in Pottery Barn for $2000. Am I sick...

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

The furniture looks nice and impressive but the delivery company is just awful. I asked several times in the store to use shoe covers for my house and even talked with a delivery company manager on that morning. Still no shoe covers and they even refused to take their shoes off!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

Electric motor broke within 6 months, and that I don't have to tell you it was not a cheap chair. Having great difficulty getting it fixed. The store told me the company was aware that the motors were bad & orders after mine were on hold for over 2 months until they could replace the old one. I guess it was too much for them to contact me & replace motor in mine. They want to wait until chair was out of warranty & I would have to pay for it.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2015

We have been working months to create an entertainment room. Since we own multiple rooms of British Classic furniture from EA we decided to go look & we actually found a Ming Media Cabinet floor model on sale that we felt would work well for our space. Our designer said they deliver floor models on Thursdays. We received call following Wed. that they wanted to schedule delivery for either Fri or Sat. We accepted Sat. & proceeded to purchase our entertainment equipment from another vendor and arranged it for delivery a week later.

Saturday we called EA late morning looking for delivery. We were advised it would deliver between 3 PM & 6 PM. At 5:30 truck arrived. Driver came to door asking where to deliver with paperwork in hand. He went back to truck. Stood there a few minutes, came back to our door & explained they did not have cabinet & did not know where it was. Now I have a huge equipment order coming in 4 days & no cabinet. Wished we had read reviews before buying from EA.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

I ordered a chair and matching pillows for my family room. The designer was courteous and arrived promptly for the consultation in my home. The chair was delivered to my home and I never accepted the chair. The chair was poorly made. The seams were not properly sewn at the top of the rounded chair top. The seams looked like pointed hat tops. The skirt was improperly sewn so the sides of the chair skirt flared to the side instead of lying flat. The seat cushion was too large for the chair base. The repair man who delivered the chair was rude. He did not want to fix the skirt, cushion or the top of the chair.

I asked for my money back and was told a committee meets to discuss returns. Repairs were finally made, however the top cushion were never repaired. I again asked for my money back and have been told refund was denied, and to schedule delivery or I would be charged a storage fee. I called several stores and found return policies vary even in corporately owned stores. I will never buy anything from Ethan Allen in Lynnwood, Washington again. Terrible service and extremely rude service providers, even the manager!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

I ordered a leather recliner in March 2015. They first said material was delayed. It would most likely be May before it would be delivered. Then a date of - sometime in June. Then sometime in July. I called/emailed last week, no reply. 5 months? What is going on?

Original review: July 29, 2015

After reading the other reviews about Ethan Allen and their poor service, I just want to add another complaint to the stack. We purchased two reclining chairs in February 2015 and received them 5 weeks later with one being damaged on delivery. We were told to call the store and they would take care of it. We called the store and a repairman arrived two weeks later only to leave with the chair not properly repaired. Called to complain and they send out another repairman, again arriving 2 weeks after the call supposedly because of a heavy schedule. He took pictures of the chair and said they would have to order parts and would call to set up a date to take the chair in for repair.

The customer service office called and said it would take 3 weeks to get the parts. 6 weeks later, still no call from the customer service and when calling them, they said it would probably be the end of August or early September (4-8 weeks) before the parts would arrive and if I was not happy with the delay to call the store manager. Unbelievable poor customer service, especially for a company that at one time was highly regarded. I would never shop Ethan Allen again, nor would I ever give them a favorable review. The sheer number of complaints on this website in 2015 says a lot!

Original review: July 22, 2015

We ordered a leather recliner in last week of April 2015. Told it would take until June 5th to receive chair. On June 5th we were told the order was going to be delayed a few weeks. Mid June I called back and was told it had been delayed until July 27th. I received a voice msg on July 14th saying the chair was in shipping. We thought reasonable shipping within US would be a week. We checked today, July 22nd and were told delivery date would probably be August 10th. I will likely never do business with Ethan Allen again and will advise anyone I know not to do business with them. Buyer beware!

Original review: July 5, 2015

Bought a sofa and the frame squeaked. They picked it up (after much arguing) and kept it for a month. We sat on the floor for a month. It came back and was in worse shape. No returns, no accommodations, no exchanges. And a rude and condescending manager. This is the worst excuse for a retail establishment. Obviously the CEO is only concerned about the bottom line... $$$... not the customer. Better service = more $$$. Horrible company.

Original review: June 29, 2015

Ordered the Chloe Sleigh Bed. Wood is not the same color. So frustrated. This is the second one they attempted to deliver. I just want my money back at this point.

Original review: June 26, 2015

My review is very similar to others that have been posted. I placed an order in February for a leather chair and was told they expected delivery to me in the end of March. In the end of April I had not heard from them so I called and the very nice woman told me the manufacturing plant was swamped and behind so probably May delivery. Toward the end of May I called again and was very nicely told it should be in the first week of June. I called again at the end of the first week of June and was told probably July. I asked the woman whom I was talking to at Ethan Allen if they would discount my delivery fee due to such a lengthy wait and she said she would have the store manager call me back.

The following week he called me back and the chair still was not in. He said no to the delivery fee discount request because he said that is not how he does business. I told him I was shocked and disappointed about the longer than indicated wait and he told me I should read the contract because they do not promise delivery time frames. He was very abrupt and short with me. I said the customer service could be better and he responded with "don't tell me how to run my store." I will not shop at Ethan Allen in the future. I requested a refund of my deposit and the store manager did agree to that. Maybe I am lucky because some of the other reviews about Ethan Allen's leather furniture were not favorable!

Original review: June 14, 2015

Had an Ethan Allen interior designer come to the house and lay out a plan with 4 chairs and a table. Upon arrival, the chairs didn't fit well under the table, plus they were too large to fit in the space. I called to have them take them back but Ethan Allen refused and could do nothing for us because the chairs were custom-made (we picked the color). Very angry!

Original review: June 9, 2015

We got this recliner as part of a complete living room redesign and refurnishing. All came from Ethan Allen at the suggestion of one of their designers. How many things can be bad about a recliner? We got the almost black arms which has a waxy finish, more like melted crayons. The finish rubs off with even a light cleaning and just dragging a paperback book across it will remove all the finish down to the wood. The leather is like a sponge to body oils so you better not sit or lie down in the reclining position because it will become black immediately.

The cleaning instructions say to not clean the oil from the leather (I guess, just live with it). The leather stretches out of shape and looks worn and wrinkled within a month if it is set in much. The full reclining position is very uncomfortable, with the small of a normal person's back right at the bend point so no lumbar support. Backaches quickly follow. In the reclining after less than a year of use, there are squeaks and groans like it is about to break. Look elsewhere for a recliner. Or at least another style from Ethan Allen (I've had no experience with other models).

Original review: June 5, 2015

My husband and I purchased 2 arm chairs and a sofa from EA back at the end of Feb 2015. As of today (6/5/15), we still do not have our sofa. Supposedly, the 2 arm chairs came in, but want my delivery complete, not separate. My designer has called me 3 times since Feb claiming that the fabric is on BO with first deliver mid-May, then told me end of June. Now, today, I contacted her and she is telling me the beginning to middle of July!! To wait over 5 mos for a custom sofa is ridiculous, and based on these reviews, I am not surprised by the level of service that I have had thus far. I am extremely upset by the fact that a company with such prices has this level of service. I am now concerned about my satisfaction of the quality, and size of the furniture when it is delivered.

Original review: June 4, 2015

We went down to our EA and noticed a nice sofa that we thought would look great in our new living room. I told "the designer" that it had to be the same size as the one we have in there now. NO EXCEPTIONS. We have a large room and anything smaller would look lost. We did have to wait more like 3 months for ours sofa. Came today & surprise! Looks like a little love seat! Can't even see it pass the coffee table. Just got off the phone with them & they said the same as everyone here has stated. Can't return or exchange.

After spending how much money on this because I wanted a really nice fabric since it was going in our living room not family room. Now stuck with this tiny thing & what do we do with it??? They might advertise great merchandise but they have horrible service! I have never had a problem with Restoration Hardware, Havertys, Matter Bros., etc. If ever a problem with their merchandise, they will gladly accept your return. I say unless you know who you're dealing with, stay away! Looks like just they lost some bucks since I had some big plans.

Original review: May 30, 2015

We ordered a dining table with 8 chairs and a buffet. We are extremely happy with the furniture and prompt delivery. After reading so many horror stories on this website we doubt very seriously the credibility of these individuals! We have never dealt with Ethan Allen in the past BUT would not hesitate to give them our business in the future.

Ethan Allen Company Information