1.57/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Ethan Allen

Looking for a good furniture store?

420 Ethan Allen Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 29, 2015

Ordered the Chloe Sleigh Bed. Wood is not the same color. So frustrated. This is the second one they attempted to deliver. I just want my money back at this point.

Original review: June 26, 2015

My review is very similar to others that have been posted. I placed an order in February for a leather chair and was told they expected delivery to me in the end of March. In the end of April I had not heard from them so I called and the very nice woman told me the manufacturing plant was swamped and behind so probably May delivery. Toward the end of May I called again and was very nicely told it should be in the first week of June. I called again at the end of the first week of June and was told probably July. I asked the woman whom I was talking to at Ethan Allen if they would discount my delivery fee due to such a lengthy wait and she said she would have the store manager call me back.

The following week he called me back and the chair still was not in. He said no to the delivery fee discount request because he said that is not how he does business. I told him I was shocked and disappointed about the longer than indicated wait and he told me I should read the contract because they do not promise delivery time frames. He was very abrupt and short with me. I said the customer service could be better and he responded with "don't tell me how to run my store." I will not shop at Ethan Allen in the future. I requested a refund of my deposit and the store manager did agree to that. Maybe I am lucky because some of the other reviews about Ethan Allen's leather furniture were not favorable!

Original review: June 14, 2015

Had an Ethan Allen interior designer come to the house and lay out a plan with 4 chairs and a table. Upon arrival, the chairs didn't fit well under the table, plus they were too large to fit in the space. I called to have them take them back but Ethan Allen refused and could do nothing for us because the chairs were custom-made (we picked the color). Very angry!

Original review: June 9, 2015

We got this recliner as part of a complete living room redesign and refurnishing. All came from Ethan Allen at the suggestion of one of their designers. How many things can be bad about a recliner? We got the almost black arms which has a waxy finish, more like melted crayons. The finish rubs off with even a light cleaning and just dragging a paperback book across it will remove all the finish down to the wood. The leather is like a sponge to body oils so you better not sit or lie down in the reclining position because it will become black immediately.

The cleaning instructions say to not clean the oil from the leather (I guess, just live with it). The leather stretches out of shape and looks worn and wrinkled within a month if it is set in much. The full reclining position is very uncomfortable, with the small of a normal person's back right at the bend point so no lumbar support. Backaches quickly follow. In the reclining after less than a year of use, there are squeaks and groans like it is about to break. Look elsewhere for a recliner. Or at least another style from Ethan Allen (I've had no experience with other models).

Original review: June 5, 2015

My husband and I purchased 2 arm chairs and a sofa from EA back at the end of Feb 2015. As of today (6/5/15), we still do not have our sofa. Supposedly, the 2 arm chairs came in, but want my delivery complete, not separate. My designer has called me 3 times since Feb claiming that the fabric is on BO with first deliver mid-May, then told me end of June. Now, today, I contacted her and she is telling me the beginning to middle of July!! To wait over 5 mos for a custom sofa is ridiculous, and based on these reviews, I am not surprised by the level of service that I have had thus far. I am extremely upset by the fact that a company with such prices has this level of service. I am now concerned about my satisfaction of the quality, and size of the furniture when it is delivered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethan Allen?

Original review: June 4, 2015

We went down to our EA and noticed a nice sofa that we thought would look great in our new living room. I told "the designer" that it had to be the same size as the one we have in there now. NO EXCEPTIONS. We have a large room and anything smaller would look lost. We did have to wait more like 3 months for ours sofa. Came today & surprise! Looks like a little love seat! Can't even see it pass the coffee table. Just got off the phone with them & they said the same as everyone here has stated. Can't return or exchange.

After spending how much money on this because I wanted a really nice fabric since it was going in our living room not family room. Now stuck with this tiny thing & what do we do with it??? They might advertise great merchandise but they have horrible service! I have never had a problem with Restoration Hardware, Havertys, Matter Bros., etc. If ever a problem with their merchandise, they will gladly accept your return. I say unless you know who you're dealing with, stay away! Looks like just they lost some bucks since I had some big plans.

Original review: May 30, 2015

We ordered a dining table with 8 chairs and a buffet. We are extremely happy with the furniture and prompt delivery. After reading so many horror stories on this website we doubt very seriously the credibility of these individuals! We have never dealt with Ethan Allen in the past BUT would not hesitate to give them our business in the future.

Original review: May 27, 2015

I still have my EA furniture purchased in 1991 and recently purchased new furniture for my family room which gets used by teens and pets. The furniture is on trend and well made. I have had a few issues with purchases and EA has always sent out someone to solve them and my designer always conscientious about following up. I was disappointed to learn they outsource some products overseas but then so do other large high end furniture manufacturers. Overall I have no complaints and feel comfortable recommending EA to friends and family.

Original review: May 17, 2015

I have shopped at the Kalamazoo store for many years and have found exceptional value pieces that still hold their value. The customer service is exceptional to say the least (** is my personal favorite). No matter how busy they are, you feel welcomed the moment you step in to their amazing show room. I feel inspired and rejuvenated whenever I am in the store. My favorite piece of furniture is a sleep sofa purchased over 13 years ago that sits in my living room. Plenty of guests have enjoyed it. A family member even asked if he could have it, and I said he could as long as he arranges the transport (he will have to ship it to the U.K. :-) They have the best linen (hint MARKDOWNS).

Original review: May 17, 2015

We bought 4 of these chairs in tangerine orange leather and they got a stain on two of them, the very first time we used them. Ethan Allen did nothing to help us. Do not get these in their leather, it stains by just the touch of hand, just from natural hand oils. Our hands were clean. Awful looking now, completely ruined and yet brand new chairs. Ethan Allen did nothing to help. Never will shop there again!

Original review: May 13, 2015

Over the last four years I have bought 4 good pieces of furniture from the Toronto store. We have a sofa which is proving durable and staying good-looking after 3 years. I am sitting as I type on a leather desk chair which can tilt back. The distressed leather was distressed from the get-go, so it doesn't in the least distress me, and the spring is still firm. We got a nice TV stand for our 50" TV which is logically designed and serving us well.

And I sleep in an Ethan Allen sleigh bed which is sturdy and attractive. A queen size, it has a support in the middle so that it doesn't sag. The dog scratched the headboard with his claws while tossing and turning beside me, but I can't pin that on Ethan Allen. The one star off is for the poor assembly of the bed by the delivery people. One corner became loose and wobbly and a friend and I removed the mattress and boxspring so that I could tighten up all bolts. Now it is just fine. I found this site researching the Ethan Allen Bentley recliner which I sat in today. I found one scathing review of an EA recliner which became useless after 6 years of light use. I will look somewhere else for a recliner.

Original review: May 13, 2015

Have purchased 2 different groups of furniture. The second order was absolutely unacceptable. Cannot sit in either of the swivel club chairs. To solve this problem they sent out a man to take pictures of the items. I do not understand how a picture can show poor construction. Expensive lamp--did not cover the switch and were told to go and buy new shades. No compensation was ever mentioned. Horrible experience with what I thought was a reliable company.

Original review: May 11, 2015

They make you wait. They make you call. They make you hold. They make you call another number. They make you call back. Every store in the free world just delivers. Nasty lady on the phone. Still no dresser. I cannot get any help at all.

Original review: May 11, 2015

Here's my public svc message, and my simple advice to anyone who might be furniture shopping in the near future. The home furnishing company Ethan Allen has just found itself on the wrong side of me. We've been working with the same designer from one of their flagship stores in Conn. since 2005. In late 2012 we purchased the cooper dining table and a set of six chairs for our kitchen. I thought we could expect to have this for years to come, even ten years seemed like a reasonable expectation. Within days the finish showed signs of trauma with deep scratches and areas, many areas, in fact, where the finish just seemed to be removed. But how? We apparently made the fatal mistake of actually using the table.

The table comfortably seats six and we are a family of five and our three kids use the table quite often for nothing out of the ordinary, yet I was told by a rep that I should have covered the entire table surface at every use. Placemats were not enough, and nary the mere greasy finger to come into contact with the vulnerable surface, I was told even this could assault the finish. Hmm, something to think about. The upholstery at EA is still fair, although I would be wary of the leather. If looking for case goods or any wood surface product, I would look further, as I have discovered that they are deceiving their customers: Only the upholstery is still manufactured in the US; case goods and all wood products are now made over in China.

Original review: May 8, 2015

I had placed a custom order with Ethan Allen on August 18, 2014 for two Bryant chairs. For months, I was told that the chairs were coming on the "next shipment". Initially, I was given excuses that because it was a custom order it was taking longer than usual. In February, I was told that no one knew what happened to my order but that I would get a refund. It is now May. I don't have the chairs or my $2109 deposit. This company has no integrity and a complete disdain for the customer!

Original review: May 8, 2015

Ordered custom blinds and salesperson told me they come in quickly. I waited 10 weeks for blinds and had to push to have them installed once in. Ordered custom ottoman February 28, 2015. Was given April 6th delivery date. I called Ethan Allen and front desk clerk told me my ottoman would not be in until late June 2015. Will be cancelling ottoman that is now scheduled to be delivered FOUR MONTHS after order, UNBELIEVABLE! Ordered STOCK drapes UPS shipped. Designer told me they should be delivered to store in a few days, now she's telling me three weeks. Will never do business with Ethan Allen again!

Original review: April 30, 2015

I went into an Ethan Allen store with samples of all the fabrics in my living room to show the designer so together we could pick out the perfect fabric for my living room. I needed a chair and we both agreed that black would be the perfect choice. She then excused herself as she was helping another customer when I arrived, so I told her I would peruse through the fabrics. I found exactly what I wanted, a black tone on tone fabric. I then had to use the restroom and on the way I passed my designer and she asked if I'd found anything and I told her I found a tone on tone which was perfect. When I came back from the restroom she told me she had already written up the purchase and everything was done. Unfortunately I trusted her because, after all, she was the expert and knew what I wanted because we had discussed it and she told me how stunning a black chair would look with the other fabrics I had.

The chair arrived on time but to my horror, it was blue, not black. I called the store and spoke with the designer and she said they couldn't take it back because it was a custom order and they wouldn't be able to sell it. I then spoke with the manager and she said the same thing. I then wrote to the corporate office and never received a reply, not even an apology. I didn't know what I was going to do. I didn't even have any blue in my room. It looked terrible. I ended up putting it in another room and got an area rug with a little blue in it and it turned out alright, but I will never go into their store again because their work ethics stink. They are not honorable.

Original review: April 28, 2015

My experience with Ethan Allen Little Rock has been exasperating. After calling 3 times regarding order status - and being told once they would get back to me but they did not - I had to call the store manager. Still waiting on my order of 2-26 to be completed - I found overall customer service to be extremely poor particularly to someone who has spent well over $20,000 dollars with that store. My experience with EA elsewhere has been good - I will not do business with this one again.

Original review: April 25, 2015

Ordered living room furniture and rug in December 31, 2014 from the central NJ store. We were advised that delivery may be delayed because rug is hand made in India. When we followed in February they said May, and today they are saying July! The salesperson/designer that helped us to pick out the rug, though helpful in all other ways, told us that delays for high-end products usually come with delays and that currently it's an Industry wide problem and that's all she could say about that. Cannot imagine how Ethan Allen keeps its customers satisfied with delays such as this.

Original review: April 20, 2015

My wife and I order two white linen chairs from Ethan Allen in Nov. 2015, and were delivered in January 2015. Within 60 days we notice one of the chairs back cushions had discolor to a darker shade, as well the seat cushions were no longer holding their shape and were very flatten in appearance. We first brought the discoloring to our sales designer attention with a positive response, it would be taken care. Then, with no word or contact from anyone from Ethan allen, we elected to go to the store and ask for a follow up with the discoloring as well bring up the cushion concern. Well, needless to say, here we are 80 days later with nothing being corrected, much less a follow up.

We were told today that the store manager is going to come to look at the chairs at your home and determine if we have the correct cushions. No one seems to care or is willing to follow up with questions ask. It seems we are out a great deal if money with a product that the only reason we bought it for was the quality we thought we were getting. Service, follow up, and is very questionable. Will not purchase again from Ethan Allen, unless problem is resolve.

Original review: April 17, 2015

Purchased a sleeper sofa with air mattress. Took two delivery attempt to get it in correct room. First time to use the air pump would not work. Second time would not work - my fault. Third time air valve would not stay closed. Contacted the store numerous time and if you got a call back it could be days. Finally called corporate office and initially very promising but end results the same. Received call from an admin person about three weeks ago and agreed to try the foam mattress as a replacement for the air mattress. Had to drive 80 miles to find out they did not have in store to try and see if I liked or not.

EA ordered and after three weeks have not received. Not sure if and when I will be contacted. I could go on an on but bottom line is I am sorry I went in the store and will not make another purchase there. I have not received satisfaction from cooperative down. Like other reviews when they have your money goodbye. Spent $2700 and still searching for something good. Shame on me for going in EA store.

Original review: April 8, 2015

I had purchased most of furniture from Ethan Allen. Table is one of them and its bolt has been damage while unscrew the nut from the bolt built in the leg. I went to store and worked with salesperson to place an order the bolt. It turned out that they won't provide the part either customer service. They told me I have to find the part at ACE or Dixieline and find the handyman to fix the leg. I'm so frustrated at their customer service. I paid almost $1000 but they don't give me bolt worth of $1~2? I will try to away from Ethan Allen from now and keep put an effort to change customer's thought about the Ethan Allen.

Original review: April 7, 2015

I ordered a mirror on December the l9th of 2014 and hadn't received it by March 30, 2015. I called numerous times with one excuse after another given for the delay. After calling them four times, the person that helped me at Little Rock, AR still didn't seem to know where the mirror was. Finally I got frustrated and cancelled the order and asked for my money back.

Original review: March 21, 2015

Expensive and custom "Lynn sofa" horrible. Seating puckered. Looks sloppy. Seating extremely soft like feathers when it was ordered as the most firm made by Ethan Allen. When sitting on one side, the other side lifts. EA unwilling to allow return with repurchase of another style. Pillows have filling that "migrates" from one end to another when used. Must be shaken to resume normal shape. Looks lumpy. Extremely unhappy with this huge and expensive mistake of a purchase.

Original review: March 17, 2015

I purchased a set from Ethan Allen. At Thanksgiving, within in three months of purchase, one chair cracked. Since then, two other chairs cracked. They are pretty chairs but we are afraid to use them. It's like sitting on a China cup. Ethan Allen says they have a lifetime warranty of 7 years. Seven years, is It a lifetime?

Original review: March 12, 2015

We went to Ethan Allen to buy a sleeper sofa because we wanted quality. NOW, a few years later, we are so sorry that we did. We bought many items from them but that's over. Our sofa bed support broke. Please note that we have used this for a period of less than 6 weeks over a several year period. EA said I can get a part if I pay 242.00 with NO installation. Really? Is this quality? The short answer = NO! NO! NO! I thought that Ethan Allen was: Quality... wrong. Stood behind their product... wrong. THEY didn't even come out to look at it. I had to email a photo. What kind of customer service is that? ITS NOT!

Original review: March 11, 2015

We purchased the chair appr. 8 years ago along with the rest of our furniture for our living room. A piece of the spring assembly broke off and was sticking out the bottom which in turn made the seat cushion sag. I called a ** for repair and she said the warranty was 7 years. Ok, no problem I just want it fixed. They said I had to call the repairman **. I did and after a few days ** said I had to order the spring assembly thru Ethan Allen. I called ** and she said that she even called corporate and they replied that they no longer stocked this spring assembly.

I asked if they could just recommend where to get one and she said that she couldn't. She told me to get ** to try and find one. I stated that they are dumping this problem on me and she stated that she could not help me. I will never buy from them again and will put on our union complaint board about companies to beware of buying from them. My daughter is buying a house this summer and she will buy elsewhere. I am a united steel workers member and we all help each other with good and bad service companies and contractors. With just a little help from E. Allen they could have avoided this bad publicity and loss of future sales. Thanks for your time.

Original review: March 5, 2015

I recently bought a bed at the Ethan Allen store in Torrance, California, the town in which I live, however it was not in stock and we had to wait. The sales person is named **. Despite our frequent calls asking about delivery, she would not call us back. In frustration, we escalated our question to **, an Ethan Allen manager who promised to call us back. Disappointingly he never did. What are we left to think? Here are my conclusions: Ethan Allen furniture is priced higher than most but the high price doesn't mean good service. The sales people seem concerned with one thing only: getting paid. After that, you're on your own. Don't buy anything from Ethan Allen stores, least of all if you want to know when it will be delivered. Read the reviews. The Ethan Allen people do care, about getting paid, NOT about their customers.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I ordered a table and cabinet which cost more than $5000. The table arrived scratched and had to be repaired by Ethan Allen - at great inconvenience to me because of having to take time off from work to arrange for the repair. A knob fell off the cabinet a few weeks after delivery because the screw was defective. Rather than have to call the company again and miss work, I tried to replace the screw myself. It was a non-standard size so I had to live with a door that wasn't functional.

Finally, after living with this non-functional door for more than a year, I decided I would bite the bullet and have Ethan Allen replace the screw. They told me I would need to pay $10. I was irritated by their pettiness but agreed and gave them my credit card info over the phone. They then said they would fax me a sales order which I needed to sign and return to them - for a $10 screw! I protested and asked them to just send me the screw and not put me through any more inconvenience. The rep refused. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM EA AGAIN! Their quality is poor and their customer service is worse.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2015

I purchased around $14,000.00 in furniture. While I was working with the decorator she brought two lamps to see how they would look. I agreed to keep one, thinking I had 72 hours for a return. I had been told, when I was in the store shopping, your 'as is' policy. I just did not think about it on the day we were working in my house. Imagine my feelings when I called 48 hours later to return the lamp that I could not, and no exceptions would be made. I guess I wasn't spending enough money to ever qualify for a exception. Needless to say, Ethan Allen has left a very bad taste. I am still waiting for the new furniture to be delivered and the experience of completing the project has been spoiled.

Ethan Allen Company Information