Call toll free
4.51/5
Based on 793 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Gallery (4)
View More View More

1169 DirectBuy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Barbara ** has been helping me a great deal. She has been prompt and helpful with all of my questions. This has nothing to do with her but my DirectBuy experience... It is frustrating that there are no convenient design centres near me. I still don't know whether I can pick up from the Brampton warehouse (I live in the Bolton area). Markham and Mississauga are very far and inconvenient for me.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Maria ** responded quickly (~3-4hrs) to my early morning online inquiry. It was useful to know quickly that the item I was interested in was not carried by DirectBuy. That allows me to move on and pursue availability and prices elsewhere. Maria also took the time to make an alternate suggestion from the DB catalogue however it was not suitable for my purposes.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

At the time that we joined DirectBuy, it made a lot of economic sense. We were building a home and needed to source a lot of plumbing fixtures, lighting fixtures and furniture. Then I always take a look every year whether or not it makes sense economically to continue and so far, we've been able to justify that path. We have a secondary residence and we’ve also continued to update stuff periodically. We also do stuff over the course of time, like if we couldn’t afford to finish the basement before. We've been members of DirectBuy for over 10 years and right now, the cost of maintaining the membership is not so prohibitive.

With the ability to order using the website, making a purchase has become a lot easier also. In the past, you had to go into the store and arrange a time with one of the customer service reps. Now, a lot of items are available for online ordering and then for pick-up at the club. I’ve also used the concierge service over the phone and the web agent, and that has been good too.

But there are other things on the catalog that are being updated only once every six months. There are specific times, especially for electronics, when I'd go on to the website and notice that by the time I pay for the handling and shipping fee, DirectBuy’s price is more expensive than at Best Buy. Because of the technology, the price changes quite a bit. So they have to be careful and make sure that their catalogs are reflective of changes that are going on in the marketplace. That aside, certain things are very price competitive and the quality has been quite good as well. Sometimes things might get a bit damaged in the shipping but usually, I'll notice it right at the time of delivery so I won't take delivery of it. But I also tend to focus on stuff from good manufacturers.

They don't offer a lot of direct home delivery in Canada though. You have to go to the store but a lot of the real estate has closed over the past number of years. If the store was a 10-hour drive, I probably wouldn't be a DirectBuy customer anymore. But there's still a brick and mortar DirectBuy store relatively close to where I am and I like that. It's nice to have a store that's within a decent distance of my house.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I was very happy with the service I received from Concierge Shopping Agent Barbara ** but unfortunately the product I was inquiring about was substantially higher in price from DirectBuy than other retail outlets. Your List price started at $4.09 sf VS $4.39 sf at the Flooring Store. After DirectBuy Club Handling, Freight, Vendor Service Fees and Tax, ends up at $5.85 sf vs $4.61. Thats a lot of $$$ on 1000 square feet of vinyl flooring ($1228 more).

DirectBuy response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Lynda. I have forwarded your information to our Escalations Department. We will be in touch as soon as possible and look forward to discussing this issue with you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

My husband and I have been DirectBuy members for 17 years. We thought the program would be good but the sales tactics were heavy-handed in the showroom. We were DirectBuy members when they still had a showroom but we caved. And then we became members but didn’t really use the program for a long time. The showroom hours here were very inconvenient for people who have jobs and I was overwhelmed with all of the catalogs. When they closed the catalog store, they offered the opportunity to work with a designer. There was one hour’s worth of free consultation with the designer and we took them up on that.

I furnished my dad’s entire house with Overstock so that was a whole lot of money that we didn’t save because we didn’t go to DirectBuy. But the prices were prices on DirectBuy with shipping. I found the same bed on Wayfair and it was the same price, only shipping was free and delivery was within three days as opposed to three weeks. The lead time between when DirectBuy gets things to us and when things locally get to us is something that DirectBuy still needs to work on. We were remodeling our two bathrooms upstairs and we purchased the valves for hooking up our bathroom on Amazon because our job was at a standstill due to the lead time.

I bought a free-standing tub, shower fixtures and undermount sinks through DirectBuy. They were more expensive but we got a better value for our money. I absolutely love April, our designer. She picked out a sectional for us and it took a very long time for it to get here, but it was beautiful. If you use April, DirectBuy is the best thing in the world, but you’re gonna have to plan ahead. The valves were ordered way early and April did that but the manufacturer was very slow for that. I’ve been a month with no bathroom and a week with nobody here because now I have to get on the plumber’s waiting list.

The $5,000 one-time entry fee at DirectBuy is very steep and then we have to pay $100 a year to renew. The reps in the showroom said, “If you walk out the door, you can never be a DirectBuy member again.” I don’t know if that was true or that was our sales people, but Kudos to April. Give her a phone call. We were ready to write DirectBuy off. However, I don’t think that we’ve even recouped our $5,000 entry fee yet which was our savings.

DirectBuy response

Hello Shelly, your feedback is valuable to us and we will use it to improve our services and processes. We would like to reach out to you privately to discuss your membership.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

We buy furniture from DirectBuy and they have good pricing. I've been a member for at least ten years and I've not had issues with the furniture I bought. They used to have a showroom here, but it has been closed, so now, we have to do it online. We call them if we have any questions and they have been great.

DirectBuy response

Many thanks for the feedback, David! We're pleased to hear you're satisfied with your DirectBuy membership. If there is anything we can do to improve, tell us about it at memberrelations@directbuy.com.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I’ve been a member of DirectBuy for many years and like the good savings they could offer. I do my research and buy things that are good deals at DirectBuy and if they’re not, then I won’t buy them, but generally, the pricing has been very good. I've bought lots of furniture and just installed a kitchen from them as well. The purchasing experience has been very good and I’m happy with the products I've bought. While their website is not perfect, it has improved a lot. I’d tell friends to sign up especially if they have a big project going on.

DirectBuy response

Great feedback, Stewart! We genuinely appreciate it and we're glad to hear that you're happy with your DirectBuy membership.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Hello. I have worked with Dean on 2 kitchen projects and he has gone over and above to make the experience great. He is very knowledgeable in the products and helpful with anything I asked of him. I would recommend him to all my friends & family.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Refridgerator down not even 1 year old! Members and people who want to purchase a membership BEWARE. You might save a couple of bucks but long run if your stuff breaks or you change your mind about a color you will be stuck. My 10 month old fridge stopped cooling all of a sudden, my food has all gone bad I am still waiting for the manufacturer to come out and service it cause they cancelled the appointment the day before. I also had problems with my stove that could have blown up same age because of an electrical blowout in the bottom that was eventually replaced. So are we receiving new or refurbished I'm not sure. Do you really want to take a chance? maybe you will be lucky, I was not. I'm still waiting. If they are selling goods then DirectBuy should back them.

DirectBuy response

Hello Enza, we sincerely apologize about your experience with your DirectBuy membership. We appreciate your feedback and would like to make things right. Someone from our Escalations team will be contacting you within 24 hours to help assist with your resolution.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I’ve been with DirectBuy for more than nine years because the cost savings are significant. The first time we purchased from DirectBuy was when we built a new house. Then the more recent purchases have been for renovations and upgrades. We've mostly bought appliances and electronics. We also purchased carpeting and some furniture. They are efficient and the purchasing experience is very good overall. I wish there was a broader choice of products but I’ve always found what I wanted or a very close equivalent so I’m happy. The staff has also helped me identify what I was looking for, and they've been helpful and knowledgeable. The products are fairly well-priced and the quality of the products is very good. The one thing that could be improved is delivery times. It could take anywhere from a couple of weeks to six weeks. But it’s a reasonable trade-off for the decent price I’m getting. I strongly recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

We moved into a new house and we needed to furnish it. We were living then on another state and at that time, DirectBuy had consignees in some states and there was one in Albuquerque. We looked at the prices that DirectBuy had and we pretty much wanted to be members because of the discounts that we could get on quality items. We bought a dining set, two living sets, some appliances, lights, dishes and whatever we could decorate a house with. They were good quality because DirectBuy carries items that are high-end and from the middle range to the less expensive ones. At that time, I was able to get my Wolf Cooktop on one of the stores there because DirectBuy allowed the local agents to have a special contact with a local appliance store where we were given a small discount, so we took advantage of that.

Now, we moved into a new state and we are renovating the house. In some areas, DirectBuy has contractors and builders that they would recommend and they have designers to do a free in-house design but they don’t have those within the area where we live now. Also, DirectBuy got rid of all the agents where I could look at the stuff and they could order it for me. Now, they have a concierge that we can talk to and give us the information. If we need samples, I was told that they can be mailed. But as soon as the construction in our house will start, I will call DirectBuy and pay the fee so that there is some type of a project coordinator that I can deal with.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I am so glad I have an opportunity to rate my experience with Jenifer **, She is the most professional and helpful DB concierge that I have worked with. She is really helping me out (Bathroom redo). I wish I would have known about her a long time ago and wish she could have helped me with my whole house. Thank you Jenifer!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

The website is good except everything’s not shown and it would be nice if everything that’s available to us was listed. If you don’t see everything, you go on and look through the books. There’s a lot more that you can see in the store than what you can see in the website. Also, we’re over an hour away from the warehouse and it is closed Sundays and Mondays. It’d be nice to be able to go there not right after work. We would get into Ottawa and it’s rush hour.

We’ve been with DirectBuy for 10 years and the quality of their products is very good. We’re happy with the two kitchen cabinets we purchased. We also have a fridge, a stove, a microwave and couches. I have told numerous people to sign up with DirectBuy if they’re doing any renovation, especially for kitchens. We saved a pile of money on our kitchen and that more than paid for the membership.

DirectBuy response

Rick, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your DirectBuy experience. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from members and use it to improve our systems and processes. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I had an absolutely unacceptable experience with this company! I ordered $7883.46 of Hunter Douglass Silhouette window treatments via Direct Buy/Decorview for my new home on May 12, 2018. It is now August 8 and I'm still missing two shades and one is broken (has been since day one), and the replacement has yet to be installed. Their installer of choice in our area, Topps Installation of Highland, MI, has been rude and uncooperative. They arrived without two of the shades, claiming they were lost, when in fact they did have them as the manufacturer had proof they were delivered with the rest of the order.

When they "found" them they said that they couldn't install them for six weeks because they were too busy, You would think that my appointment would get priority as there was an error that needed to be corrected. The woman from Topps Installation was so incredibly rude and uncooperative, especially considering the error was made by them. She said that she would find me another installer and failed to do so. I've contacted Decorview/Direct Buy several times for a solution. They did in fact find me a new installer but he has yet to receive the missing blinds. Only the one that was remade.

Now... Topps Installation claims that they again lost the missing shades that they were supposed to send to the new installer and now they have to be remade and re-sent to the new install guy. In a nutshell, no one has been helpful. Three months later and I still have Home Depot paper shades hanging in two of my bathrooms and a broken blind hanging in my master bedroom. I will be canceling my membership with Direct Buy as they have nothing to help rectify the situation.

DirectBuy response

Hello William, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you had with DirectBuy. We'll schedule someone from our Escalations team to contact you to form a resolution.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

In 1984, DirectBuy had a $1,200 membership and I was buying an '85 Corvette so I went to a meeting. They happened to have the stereo system I was gonna have installed on my new Corvette. I saved enough money on that to pay for the membership and I've been a member ever since. But it's tougher to buy stuff from them now because they closed all their showrooms. It used to be that you could go there, touch and feel the items, talk to somebody and get your questions answered. But now, it's all on the Internet. They do have their concierge though.

I did a thousand bucks worth of Kohler. But initially, I had looked in the book and I looked online but I couldn’t find the stuff that I wanted. So I talked to a concierge person and they looked it up. I’d already had quotes from Kohler directly so I had all the part numbers. The DirectBuy people looked them all up and figured everything up for me. Then they gave me a price to either have the stuff delivered to the warehouse, which is about a 40-minute drive away from me, or to have it shipped straight to my house. There was only about a $3 difference. There was no way I was gonna beat traffic and I told them to just ship it to the house. Everything was great and without the concierge people, the experience would have been a little more difficult.

On the other hand, my daughter’s daughter wanted all GE appliances and the package was about $70,000. Immediately, my daughter came to me saying that they had gone to the appliance stores and got prices. She wanted me to go on DirectBuy and find out. I thought DirectBuy would certainly carry GE but no. But you can’t win all the time. The latest ones I bought were the brand new kitchen cabinets and vanities. I had a problem with the cabinet company where they kept sending the wrong stuff but it had nothing to do with DirectBuy. The list price was about $58,000 and it cost me about $30,000 from DirectBuy. Those savings will cover a few years.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

This is the second time I have bought cabinets through DirectBuy. The price was ok but the service through them is terrible. You have to sign that you are responsible for everything and they can send you product with all kinds of mistakes. On both orders they shipped things that were not as per the drawings signed, then said, "Nothing we can do about it. We will give you a credit." That is only good if you have another easy source for a custom made part.

While fixing the mistakes the job will drag on and on for months. They do not care as you have already paid up front. They will make a claim to the company for parts that are wrong but that will take time. If you are paying a contractor to install, he will be back often and your kitchen will be partial complete. They are not responsible for any of these costs. You are not dealing directly with the manufacture and the person you are dealing with is only moving emails back and forth. Think carefully before using this service.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Laurie. We apologize for your recent purchase experience and would like to assist you. Someone from our Escalations team will be following up shortly to assist you with a resolution.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Requested additional information before ordering a sofa as the website listed the dimensions as over 1000". Barbara ** responded and provided all the requested information plus protection plan info and even a 'cash back' option which I was completely unaware of! I had some follow up questions and she got back to me ASAP and addressed all my inquiries.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My husband and I and my brother and his wife joined DirectBuy in 2003. We were building a new house and we needed everything - doors, windows, carpeting and flooring. They were able to provide high-end appliances which I wanted. I built three houses and I've used them for all of them. I'm an interior designer and I used to go in and look at some of the merchandise when DirectBuy had a brick-and-mortar store. Now, it's everything online. Unless you're able to do your homework, it might be hard for the average person to shop online for large pieces of furniture that are expensive because they don't know what they are looking at in the quality. I tell my friends that they have to go to a store, see the brand and make sure it's on DirectBuy.

I have a new condo in DC and I'm having all the furniture done through DirectBuy. I just got a phone call from a delivery company and they're going to deliver a batch for me next Friday. They tried to fit it into my schedule which was very nice. Everyone has been very helpful. If they couldn't get what you want, they match it up as best as they can. We've had a very positive experience. My son and daughter-in-law are gonna join DirectBuy too because they're gonna buy a new house.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I have to say all of the people I've talked with from buying our appliances to making our flooring order and car seat order have ALL been AMAZING. I'm so impressed!!! Your business is standing out from the crowd. Congratulations and Thank You.

DirectBuy response

Brenda, thank you for taking the time to share your DirectBuy experience with others. We're happy that you're enjoying your DirectBuy membership.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

We've made a lot of purchases over the years that we've been members of DirectBuy and our experience has been the same all along. When we first joined, there was a center in Windsor which is within driving distance from LaSalle where we used to live. It was nice to have the showroom there so one could see all the samples. But now that we live on the Michigan border, we don't have a center close by so we started going to the one in Michigan to look at samples. But then that one closed as well so the closest one is in London which is two hours away.

Purchasing something through DirectBuy is easy and the quality of the products that we have received was great. The hard part is making sure that we have all our facts and that we are able to see color swatches before we put the order in, and making sure that we're matching up our purchases properly or that the way it looks online is actually how it is. We have go to other stores to do that and it's not always convenient. A lot of times, the other stores know about DirectBuy and they don't put the actual item or company on the item so we really have to know or hope that they have in stock what we're looking for. We have to be sure of what we're ordering because we can't return it. The initial warehouse had a lot of people helping customers place the order and looking up things but that's unnecessary. No one can help you other than showing color samples from different companies.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I was renovating and became a DirectBuy member. I've been a member for many years and I did tons of purchases with them including appliances and plumbing fixtures. Their percentage could be a little lower though and you need to buy a lot of stuff before you sign up. However, the purchasing experience is now wonderful. Before, it was awful. The quality of the products I received is also excellent.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Fay was very helpful, caring and understanding for a recent purchase order that has just gone on an even better sale through our membership. She answered my questions to the best she could and seemed to look out for the best interest for the member themselves. Can't wait for the responds.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Brianne was awesome. We didn't have a clue on which mattress we should look at and with her expertise we have narrowed it down to two different ones. It is very difficult to pick a mattress because it's such a personal thing but she did an awesome job!! Thank you Brianne!!

DirectBuy response

Sue, we're delighted to read your feedback about your recent experience with us. Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the best shopping experience to all of our members.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Anyone looking at the cost savings, be aware they compare MSRP to theirs which is not what items truly sell for anymore. I have been a member for close to 10 years, I let it lapse last year until they offered me a renewal rate of half, and I regret even renewing at that. I don't know what rates they sell at now for membership, but I was 24 when I bought into the company at a 5k+ mark, and later at a 2k+ mark for their travel program, which is like the first, high pressure sales filled with unkept promises. In addition to those costs the renewal cost went from 100 a year, to 200 a year x2 because I had travel now, now my most recent statement is 300 to renew for this year for just the main account (I canceled travel after I lost "free" vacations that I was told didn't have expiration dates).

What the company originally was was great, there was a staff you could speak with, designers that would help you pick out items that complimented your home, and would price match everything before they even wrote up an order for you to sign. Not to mention a single stop shopping experience where you could look at items in person, there was value and service that was, to me, well worth the original 5k+ cost. Now I get to travel about 200 miles just to look at 2 different tile companies, and 2 different bathroom showrooms to look at items I may like.

Since they closed down all of their showrooms, and moved to only Internet sales, they just plain suck. They don't price match automatically, you have to find better deal and wait for days while they confirm with their contacts that they can attempt to price match, in the mean time the deal you are trying to price match may end before you get an answer and would be stuck paying a higher rate... But they sell at "direct from Manufacturer prices" that is comical as any simple google search will find prices that beat them all the time. Unless you are buying furniture and lots of it, there is absolutely no value in this club, as there are online stores that after price match they still can't beat because they price match before Shipping/Tax/Handling costs.

I have spent over 40k on renovations to my house this year, of which 23k roughly was spent on merchandise I should be able to buy thru this club. Not only did I find better prices online, I found much better service thru the sites I purchased from. Lightning fast delivery compared to the 4 - 12 week time frames this company gives. In the past year I have made a total of 3 purchases, of which my last one is now on week 9, and I just received an email that it isn't expected until mid october, so I will now be canceling and buying elsewhere. Which brings my total purchases down to 2, both of which had to be price matched because direct buy prices suck, and often are beat out even at the retail store price.

In regards to their Travel program, if you are a member don't fall for their Travel program. Most if not all trips that I or my family took we were able to find better rates thru Travelocity, Trivago, and Priceline type of websites. Or if you are a Costco member, they have much better rates as well. They will try to lure you in with, "The cost is mitigated by the free trip vouchers you get." What they don't tell you is the "resorts" you have access to are timeshare properties and make you sit thru (for me was 4 hours) of high pressure sales pitches about owning a place that you will still get to pay 200 a night to stay at rooms. If you don't travel much they will tell you the vouchers are good anytime and don't expire (you have 2 years to use them or lose them). They also definitely don't let you know it carries with it a 2nd renewal rate for membership.

Just do yourself a favor and stay away from this company, outside of furniture they haven't offered me a single product I wasn't able to find online for around the same or cheaper than they were, most of those stores also don't have to charge taxes or shipping. Let alone everything your purchase carries a 8% handling fee the club charges to allow you access to these "direct from manufacturer prices". Just to put into perspective, even if an online store isn't item cost cheaper (most of what I bought this past year was cheaper at the item) Online store 170.00 no shipping no tax, receive it within a week Direct buy 150.00 + 22.50 shipping +12.00 (8% handling) + 10.33 sales tax = 194.83 (real recent purchase cost) (at 9 weeks and received notice it at best will be mid October to receive it).

DirectBuy response

Hello Luke, we sincerely apologize about your experience with your DirectBuy membership. We appreciate your feedback and would like to make things right. Someone from our Escalations team will be contacting you within 24 hours to discuss your membership concerns.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

When we were buying our first house, DirectBuy seemed like a good deal and a good way to buy products. Now, we’ve been members for over 20 years and we've mostly bought home furnishings like patio furniture and also some wedding gifts, like crystal things. We also had a big purchase ‘cause our house flooded after Harvey so we needed to replace most of our furniture. We purchased furniture for several rooms, bar stools and a coffee table. The experience has been very positive and we really liked their newer online system. You can search online, look for what you want and see what it costs. But although they might have a couch in five different colors, you don’t see them all together when you're looking at the couches. There are some small user interface things that could be improved. But generally, the site is good.

I would recommend DirectBuy for someone who is planning on making big purchases. If you’re not gonna use it for something big, you’re not gonna see the same kind of savings. Still, it's very reasonably priced. Even though we didn’t buy anything for many years in a row, we still feel like we’ve gotten value out of it. The quality of the products has been excellent as well.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Most of the time I go to the club of DirectBuy and order, but I wish they would have more diverse product options online. It doesn’t appear as though they have everything on there but I've stayed with the company for a long time because of the price and the quality of the products.

Original review: July 31, 2018

We were renovating and we've purchased everything about construction stuff, windows, doors, ceramics, furniture, kitchens, and bathrooms from DirectBuy. We live in Ottawa, so I like the fact that there is a show room that we can go to and we can speak with a live person as opposed to doing everything online. It's good as well with the companies that they have in Ottawa that we could go to. And the quality of the products is good. The only thing that I don't like is trying to find something in a brochure since it's difficult to see what it's like in the picture as opposed to seeing it in person. So I go out looking for what I want in a store, and then I go to DirectBuy to see if they have it.

DirectBuy membership is expensive, so it's not for everyone. Our projects are coming to an end so I'm not sure whether we will continue to pay the annual membership. I would also recommend them to friends, but they have to make sure that they're gonna use it to get the benefits of the membership. Unless they're doing a big project, I wouldn't think it's worth the membership. Nonetheless, we've been members for 10 years or more now and it's been good particularly the last couple of years.

DirectBuy response

Gail, thank you for taking the time to share your DirectBuy experience with others. We're happy that you have enjoyed your DirectBuy membership for over 10 years.

Original review: July 30, 2018

We had three young boys and we needed furniture and appliances. We also renovate houses and we thought DirectBuy was a good thing to get into to get some better deals. But one time, I bought a kitchen table and chairs and there were so much online. I was really overwhelmed. So I just watch for the deals. When the catalog comes out, I purchase stuff from the sales there, which is nice. Their website may not be as user-friendly as some sites I’ve been on but it’s got a lot of options, more than I expected to have. In fact, there’s so much available through DirectBuy that we weren’t able to utilize everything but we sure try to.

We renovated our own house and purchased appliances, a bed, couches and flooring. We bought barbecues and TVs too. The products we've bought from DirectBuy are lasting as long as anything else that we would’ve bought. We've been members since about 2000 and I would highly recommend it for someone who's got a young family and is needing stuff for their house, is remodeling their house or building a house.

DirectBuy response

Connie, we're delighted to read your feedback about DirectBuy! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the best shopping experience to all of our members.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I've been a DirectBuy customer for eight years. We have built an entire house and we bought everything from exercise equipment, lighting fixtures, water fixtures, and faucets. The biggest thing we bought were all our cabinets which were beautiful. And also, we were just fixing to order a whole house back-up generator. The items I purchased were directly from the manufacturers. I would have bought appliances or kitchen appliances, but the local appliance dealer here matched all the pricing. And by doing that, they also service them. I saw the long-term benefit of having the actual provider of the appliance carrying the maintenance on them as well.

When we first got in DirectBuy, they had local warehouses that you would have to go in and go through volumes of books to find what you wanted. You would have to camp at the showroom and go through their library. It was not online and it was insane. Then, they upgraded and went to the online website. Navigating of the site since has improved greatly and has become a lot simpler.

They still had local people that would come out and talk to you about your cabinet program and looking at your layout. We had someone who had her own business and it was an absolute nightmare. I had sat down over at Lowe's where they had their cabinet center and since I designed my house, I knew all the dimensions. I knew exactly what I wanted as far as layout. After a month, this girl still didn't have a preliminary design for me. And she was running up costs because she wasn't getting it done and she had to re-address things.

I called and talked to the supervisor that oversaw that department in DirectBuy and explained I was very, very unhappy and why. I sent her copies of all our correspondence and why it was a mess. She quickly turned this over to Jeff. I sent him everything I had and in less than a day, he had all of the design work and AutoCAD done. Everything was back to me for review in a day. He's an absolute pro at doing cabinets and he just blew my mind. He was probably one of the most efficient and talented subcontractors. The man knew his job inside and out and did it all via the internet because he was out at Florida. Everything went in absolutely perfect.

Also, I started a project when we just moved into our house for six months. DirectBuy was under an old business format and everything was fixed four to eight weeks from purchase to delivery. But they have addressed and got expediting shipping. Now, I just purchased some fitness equipment that showed up in a week. So, they're making some changes but you have to be a little bit more patient. There are plenty of really big savings that could be had through DirectBuy. I was able to find some competitive pricing. I have a chandelier with an enclosed housing with a fan inside of it. It's the same manufacturer that I saw at Progressive Lighting. It was always $400 less. And I saved probably $30,000 on my cabinets. The savings was just phenomenal. We have other properties that we may think about building a ski place out in Taos by New Mexico and for that reason, we will maintain our membership.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 27, 2018

We have been a loyal DirectBuy customer for over 10 years. During that time we have purchased beds, 5 Kohler faucets, 6 new toilets, granite countertops, chairs etc. We always received our materials in the time given by DirectBuy sales staff. Now we ordered a new bedroom set from Conrad Grebel Furniture Company in the first week of April 2018 and were told it will take 12 weeks to receive and have the additional "White Glove Service".

After all this time DirectBuy customer service is giving us the same run around excuses we got a month ago. The bedroom set was made in Indiana but shipped to North Carolina for consolidation. Now they are using the excuse they don't have drivers to go to their warehouse in Freedom, PA. If they picked up in Indiana they could have easily drop shipped in Freedom, PA because that would not have taken them out of their way by at most 100 miles. Now that the bedroom set is in North Carolina they are saying it will take another week or 2 before it goes to their Freedom, PA warehouse. BUT that doesn't mean they will then load it for "White Glove Service" so who knows how long that will take.

By the end of this fiasco I'm estimating we won't see this furniture of another month or more. DirectBuy has already ruined why we needed the furniture and we don't really care if we get it anymore. As a matter of fact we would just rather CANCEL the order and get our OVER $3,000.00 back that they have had since APRIL! We are looking at completely renovating our home and at this point DirectBuy would be the last place I would use! Very dissatisfied customers.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Peter. We apologize for your recent purchase experience and would like to assist you. Someone from our Escalations team will be following up shortly to assist you with a resolution.

DirectBuy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for. Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Membership: A DirectBuy membership costs $69.95 per month, plus a $299 initiation fee. You can try DirectBuy risk-free for 30 days. Your membership includes services like concierge shopping, project coordination, phone assistance seven days a week, in-home design services, savings and more.

• Concierge services: DirectBuy’s concierge consultants are specifically trained to help you remotely. Concierge shopping can design custom cabinets for you, coordinate projects from start to finish, send you vendor samples, work with your budget, place orders for you, provide product photos, descriptions and prices and recommend local contractors.

• Savings: According to DirectBuy, it can give you significant savings it when it comes to home improvement projects. It has over 40 years of building relationships with manufacturers and distributors and works with them to save you as much money as possible.

• Project coordination: As a member of DirectBuy, you have access to project coordination services. If you want to remodel part of your home, you can let the project coordination team handle things like design, budget and local contractor management. DirectBuy has interior designers that will work with you until you find a design that is exactly what you want.

• My DirectBuy App: DirectBuy’s mobile app lets you search products, track orders and communicate with concierge consultants from your smartphone. It has an “I Want That!” feature that allows you to snap a photo of a piece of furniture you want and send it to DirectBuy where a consultant will help you track it down and find the best price.

• Best for: consumers wanting a top-of-the-line concierge-style online shopping experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

855-871-7788
Fax:
www.directbuy.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business