3.9/5 (1539 ratings)

About DirectBuy

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: April 19, 2022

We joined DB back in 2004. Several of my family and friends joined based upon our experience. Then DB closed its brick and mortar and went into bankruptcy. They have been going downhill ever since. We continue our membership because the annual fee isn't that much and we occasionally find something at a good price. Most of the items are not really discounted anymore, but some of the luxury furnishing are still less expensive. Their customer service is horrible. So, hopefully you don't have any problems with your order. If you do, expect them to take weeks to resolve it, keep you in the dark throughout the process, and never return your calls.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I am writing this to protect other people from becoming an other victim of Directbuy. This company is a scam. Don’t waste your time and money with them. I paid $5000.00 for my membership but when I realized that I was actually paying more when buying from them than from retailers I canceled my membership. Of course they didn’t give me my money back. They are liars that will rob your money.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

DirectBuy are bunch of liars, cheaters, stealers with high power tactics to sign up their customers in membership and charge you $ 5000 like Timeshare business... Once signed up their membership, they blackmail you if membership is cancelled as they threaten to ruin our credit history... We never bought anything from their any of their so called store as we felt their business practices were unethical, unprofessional and illegitimates... We strongly suggest that Canada/USA regulatory authorities should look into DirectBuy business practices and bring them to justice as they have ripped lots of innocent people of their hard earned money..!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I've been a member of DirectBuy since 2015. This year, we decided to remodel a few bathrooms in our home and to also replace some furniture. We placed several orders for items from different vendors through the DirectBuy website. My dissatisfaction is with the estimated delivery date that DirectBuy publishes after you place an order, the lack of transparency around this information, the lack of systems in place to keep this date updated, and the poor customer service experience when expressing my frustration.

As an example, we decided to purchase a new dining room set from Legacy Classic, and placed the order on July 6th of this year. The estimated delivery date provided by DirectBuy was for Monday, October 4th. On 10/3, I decided to call DirectBuy as I had not received a call to inform me the time for the delivery. The DirectBuy representative informed me that they did not have any updated information in their system, and would need to contact the vendor, and that a response would be provided to me within 48 business hours. I understood as I was calling on a Sunday and was not expecting a response until at least Wednesday. That day, 10/6, I received an email from a rep saying that they had reached out to the vendor for an update and would contact me as soon as they had one.

The next day, I replied back and expressed my displeasure in that I still had not received an update, it was already 4 days after the estimated delivery date, and the system still didn't show an updated date. I also expressed that I shouldn't have to contact DirectBuy to inquire about a missed delivery date - there should be systems and processes that keep this information updated to set the proper expectation with the customer!

Unfortunately, not to my surprise, I didn't even receive a response from the representative acknowledging anything I was expressing. On Saturday, 10/9, I again called in to see if there was any update in the system, which I was informed there was not. Again I was told that someone would reach out to me within 48 hours. On Monday, 10/11, a Merchandise Specialist contacted via email and told me she had reached out to the vendor to get an update on my order. I replied back and again expressed the same that I had to the previous rep, and that I also wanted to speak with someone higher to escalate this issue. This brings me to today, Wednesday, 10/13, and I have not received a response from anyone yet, acknowledging or providing me someone I could speak to higher in authority at DirectBuy to escalate the issue.

I typically don't write reviews, positive or negative, and I probably wouldn't have if this was the only occasion in which this occurred. But this has happened at least a few times already this year where I have to constantly check-in and play phone tag and send messages via email to get an update on my orders. DirectBuy is constantly missing on their estimated delivery dates, and I understand, they are estimates, but at least they should keep the consumer updated and acknowledge their communications. If anyone is considering joining DirectBuy, I would say don't do it. It will be a lot more frustration than it's worth, and the savings aren't that significant after you add up all the delivery, handling, and freight fees.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I would like to thank Crystal, in the Escalations department. Crystal is an outstanding employee. Crystal went over and above to help me with these orders. I would give her more than the highest rating score. Crystal was not the first person I talk to about these orders. I called a lot.

Original review: May 25, 2021

I have been with DirectBuy for over 10 years. I used to be able to go to a store in Gurnee, IL to check prices on things. So I knew what the wholesale price was. Now their prices are not wholesale anymore. They are most of the time higher than retail. I would not recommend joining DirectBuy anymore. They have been sued for being a scam, they lost to the tune of $500,000, and now they are trying to get it back by selling retail, instead of wholesale. The refrigerator I was looking at was $1844.00 on Direct Buy, and $1797 at Lowes, $1699.00 at Home Depot. Go buy retail, and save the Direct Buy yearly fee.

Original review: April 28, 2021

I have been a member since 2007 and for the first few years I was an avid supporter of DB. Once they started closing brick & mortar that was the end. Pricing has been better in the open market once you add all the DB fees, orders go unfulfilled and now shipping is a new way of profit for DB. Example of orders that go unfulfilled- I placed an order for a $800 sound bar which had a retail rice of over $1000. in October of 2020, I received four shipping delays on the item only after I emailed them every time first. The final delay caused me to cancel the order because the new shipping date was now going to be end of May 2021. Seven months later the price on street was now the same so I cancelled.

During this time my subscription had expired, I received no less than six phone calls from DB asking me about my renewal and when I would be doing it. I stated we were working through issues that could affect my renewal. After credit was finally received for cancelled order I went through with a two year renewal which I'm sorry I ever did. Example of pricing- I requested pricing on some very high end grill items. When I finally received the pricing weeks later and after follow up emails from me. I was once again able to purchase items cheaper on the street and this was without even adding the now infamous DB fees.

Example #3- Let's give them a chance and say it's a fluke. We want to order two ottomans for patio. We get ahold of the concierge service and ask pricing. We get base quote for items which was more than fair deal. We then ask for complete quote which means let's add the fees on. Well lo and behold we can now by it local on the street for the same price. Why because of shipping fees, first is the $40 guarantee shipping rate fee then there is the $140 shipping fee. We see the warehouse is only 10 miles from our location.

We ask to waive the fees and I can pick it up in person. Reply, "Oh this warehouse doesn't allow this". I then ask about drop ship from manufacture, "Oh we can't do that". I ask about forced delivery and not being able to pick it up this time it's a Covid issue. DB use to allow and had pick up when they owned the the B&M locations, when they closed them it was then pick up at warehouses that would change and move all over my state. Now they are forcing delivery as only way. Just another DIRECT BUY SCAM! Don't make the mistake, run if anybody even mentions this name.

Original review: April 1, 2021

In January 2021 we ordered 4 tables, a sectional sofa, 2 chairs and 6 barstools. 2 months later, we have received the tables, 1 with damaged leg that DirectBuy has not provided resolution. The barstools had to be cancelled due to DirectBuy not being able to define a delivery date. Originally 4-6 weeks turned into 3 months, turned into "we don't know". The sectional sofa and chairs originally had a delivery of March 17th, with a new expected delivery date of May 30th. Will not place another order with DirectBuy and I would recommend that nobody else does either.

Original review: March 15, 2021

At one time, we referred customers to Direct Buy monthly. Our recent experience has been nothing but frustration. When contacting concierge, no one has an answer, they promise to call back but no one does (twice in past 3 months). We are planning kitchen renovation and could not use DB. The rep called us once to connect originally and never initiated another call. After two months, we have four cupboard doors sent to us but no design or quote to for compare with other vendors. They couldn’t even give us an estimate.

We also ordered a table, stools, a beverage fridge and a microwave in January. Every item gets delayed after the stated deliver date. At this point, not one item is here or even scheduled to arrive before April and the fridge was just delayed till June 18th. Our Reno’s will be completed before our merchandise arrives. 2 years ago we ordered a Samsung range and it took 4 months to get here. Which means, if you really need it, pay the little extra and shop local. It appears that COVID is the only excuse there is and that big companies like Samsung and GE are making DirectBuy their last priority. I can pick up all those items locally in days.

While I am taking the time to write this review I might as well give fair warning that we bought into Direct Buy travel and although our original contract did not say it expired, Direct Buy changed their program and cancelled the only benefits we signed up for, the quarterly specials - it didn’t matter that our contract did not expire, they just cancelled it and offered us a new deal for $4000.00 more. My daughter got it right, “Well mom, looks like Direct Buy is firing you. They don’t want customers like you anymore." I have seen other reviews that say, the deals are good if you can stand the customer service but not even that is true anymore.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

We were have an exasperating experience with our order for an entire kitchen of appliances. We were given a date for delivery and it was changed four times! Finally we had to cancel the Direct Buy appliances and we requested a refund on our membership. After about 12 calls, often people were supposed to call us back and did not. Crystal helped us in one call. She was professional and you are lucky to have her! She took care of all our needs. After she refunded our appliances, she refunded our membership. She even continued our membership through August, since we had a long history of being a member of DB. After Crystal helped us, we may reconsider and rejoin in the future! Stephen ** Member# **

DirectBuy author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for.

• Selection: Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Prices: Factory-direct discount prices. Initial membership fee can be put toward the first purchase.

• Guarantee: 30-day money-back guarantee on memberships.

DirectBuy Company Information