2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.15/5

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

DirectBuy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

We joined DirectBuy when we were buying a bedroom set and found out we could buy it directly from them versus the company we were looking at for substantial savings. We purchased my son’s bedroom set that time and he still has it today. It’s good quality. We bought KitchenAid appliances on the house that we live in now, cabinets on a second level that we remodeled through DirectBuy, an electric fireplace, and we did some woodwork or something through them for some other project.

We recently bought another KitchenAid refrigerator and they sent a bill through their concierge service. I processed the bill and then they processed the payment. When they send the shipment through, it goes through KitchenAid’s parent company which is called Whirlpool. DirectBuy hands it off to Whirlpool and Whirlpool then has everything electronic. They called and said when they were coming to deliver and I couldn’t contact them back. If they show up and I'm not there, they give two more tries. And there's really no way of communicating with them when they show up to deliver it.

The Whirlpool situation is less than desirable because they called on a weekend and I tried to get back in touch with them. Then DirectBuy has a hard time getting in touch with them. They read off a number to you and if you don’t get it correctly or if they’re speaking slowly, it’s okay. But they speak fast or soft or the communication’s not a good connection and you don’t know what number they’re talking about and then they can’t find your order. Then they just show up and you better be there. So, that’s less than desirable.

The thing that kinda bothers us is when we joined back in 2005, we had to pay nearly $2,000. Now, the membership is like $200. Why did I have to pay so much back then and so little now? Also, they used to have local stores and that made it a lot better because you had the in-store advantage of being able to see the products. Now, everything's online and it's more difficult because if you’re gonna buy it online and spend a lot of money on it, you wanna make sure you know what you’re getting. Just a picture online and a couple of reviews don’t tell you what you need to know.

I’ve tried to communicate with DirectBuy when I’ve had concerns and they’ve made some adjustments. There has been some change from last year so that’s good. Also, they fixed the delivery problem. There used to be a stack of charges. If you order something and want it delivered, then it was like one price was for the delivery to your driveway, another price for the delivery into your house, a third price for delivery into your house to a specific room, and another price for delivery into your house to a specific room and unbox it. They don’t have that anymore. Now, they bring it into your house, set it wherever you want, and they take the packaging away.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

We’ve been a DirectBuy member for about 12 years. We bought a house and we remodeled it with two brand-new bathrooms, and then, we built a house, still owning the previous house. We thought we could save a lot of money with these bathrooms. We could get high-quality materials and not pay high-quality prices. The quality of the products we've received from DirectBuy is outstanding.

We’ve not been so pleased lately because they got rid of all their showrooms. We like to see and touch and get a better feel for things we’re doing. And now, we’re kinda stuck doing that on the internet. And I don’t think they have all the products that they offer on the internet because that would just be a Herculean task. Another thing is the manufacturers that they represent, some of them stay for the long-haul, but a lot of them, you buy one you really like, and then, you check back with them a year later, and they don’t offer that manufacturer anymore. And that can be a little frustrating.

We recently bought a bed and a frame for another house we bought in Florida. We were told that the delivery of both of them would be four to six weeks. So, they have a tendency, which is a good practice, to under-commit and over-deliver. I think it is a good thing. But the problem is, in this case, we really expected the frame to come before the bed. The bed came before the frame, and the bed had white glove delivery. So, we really couldn’t have a delivery until the frame got there. And we kinda got a nasty letter from DirectBuy saying, “Hey, the company has been holding onto this mattress for a month, and they need to deliver it.”

We ordered the frame a week before we ordered the bed. And it was a little frustrating because we were waiting and waiting for the frame. I could’ve bought the frame on Amazon and had it there in two days. But I decided to buy it from DirectBuy instead, which probably was a mistake. Another thing that was interesting was it was cheaper on Amazon than DirectBuy, which was kind of a rare occurrence. I give DirectBuy credit because they did credit me the difference, which was nice. I didn’t expect that.

There's one thing that really frustrates me. When we first joined, they took American Express for the membership fee. And then, they stopped taking American Express and they only took Visa. Then, a couple years ago, they started taking American Express again, which I was thrilled with. But a couple of months ago, before we made this purchase with the mattress and the box springs, they stopped taking it, and it’s frustrating. I really like to use American Express wherever possible because we get points, and we travel a lot, and we use these points for traveling.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

It's going pretty well with DirectBuy, where we bought most of our stuff for a bathroom remodel we're doing right now. But the cabinets we ordered from them are a little bit delayed. I was given a name of a person that I needed to work with and I did contact him at the beginning of September and gave him all of my information, what we were looking for and a picture of exactly what we wanted. He responded back quickly as far as giving us dimensions for everything. By the time we went back and forth and delays, we didn't submit the order until September 24th. It was kind of surprising because we pretty much had everything wrapped up within a week from when I first emailed him, which was September 4th. So I would've expected the order be submitted much sooner. We had told him that we were planning on starting the project early to mid-October at the latest and really wanted everything in the house.

We still haven't heard anything so I emailed him last week and asked if we could have an update on our cabinetry and I have not heard anything back. Our remodeling is actually a little delayed which is why I'm not too concerned about the cabinetry. So we got time yet. Also, it's harder to purchase from Directbuy than it used to be 'cause we used to be able to go to the location, look through books and talk to people. We did our kitchen through DirectBuy four years ago almost, and there was a woman that we sat down with, and we went through all the cabinetry and all of her recommendations and drawings. It was so much simpler because we could actually talk with somebody physically right there and go through the project.

Now, we've done two projects since, and it has been more on us doing all the legwork of going out to different places to check things out and to do all of our searches for numbers and part numbers. But over than those, everything else was beautiful with Directbuy. There was one woman that I emailed back and forth with on our Kohler order and Delta. And she was so quick. We would email all the stuff that we were wanting to purchase and things we couldn't find on the website. She emailed us back within a day and said she would get those prices for us then she sent us a spreadsheet with everything and it was amazing.

We have been a member since 2002 and we always recommended Directbuy on a caveat. I recommend it to a brand-new homeowner who doesn't have any insurance or people who are looking to completely refinish their house or who are at that stage where they've had everything for 20 years and are looking to refinish things, redo things, get new furniture. If you're not at either of those stages, it's usually not worth the money.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

I went to the open house that DirectBuy had and I was thinking of getting a bedroom set, and I knew exactly what the prices were. I had DirectBuy and they said, "If you want, we carry that line." It was American Drew and they gave me the price, and it was thousands of dollars less than what I could've gotten it. My membership was paid for by the difference in the price and then some. I've been a DirectBuy member for 15 years now. I've bought furniture, appliances, lightings, decor, barbeques, etc. I even outfitted my home in Florida through DirectBuy.

Once you get used to buying through DirectBuy, the process is easy. However, their website is terrible. It doesn't load properly and it doesn't remember where you were. Most websites, when you go back and hit the back button, it'll take you to where you were before. If you're scrolling down hundreds of items it will remember you were on item 56, for example. With DirectBuy, it doesn't. It's slow and poorly classified. Sometimes when you go into lighting fixtures, they have 30 of the same lighting fixtures.

I have recommended DirectBuy to friends, and they have joined too. With DirectBuy, you just need to really know what you're buying. Also, they should look at reevaluating their product line. They have some products that they should just get rid of them. Lastly, I ran a business and in the electronics business, as an example, the margins are low, therefore, DirectBuy's prices will not be that competitive, relative to a Best Buy when something is on clearance. But there are products that are generally higher priced where the margins are huge and therefore, DirectBuy looks really great. As an example, I bought faucets recently and DirectBuy's price was no different than Home Depot on the exact same product. I bought a piece of furniture as well that was $2,400 on Wayfair.com and was $1600 on DirectBuy. Big difference. And so, they need to be clear with people and manage people's expectations about where the savings are.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I liked it when DirectBuy had this showroom in Winnipeg, and I could go and take a look at some things and sit with the catalogs. I tend to like catalogs much better than going on the computer. I’m almost 70 years old, so books are better than e-readers, and having someone to consult with and talk to. They also used to have a lot of samples and things that you could look at because the color on the computer screen can look quite different than what you actually get.

We haven’t used DirectBuy as much as we intended. We bought various pieces of furniture. When I was executor in a particular case, I did use it to fix up a house that was looking after. But right now, I have three feral cats that live in the house with me, and I don't want workmen coming in and out of the house because they're not gonna watch them. My mother is in Charleswood Care Centre in Winnipeg, so as long as she’s alive, we’re not gonna do anything with the house until she’s gone. And then, we will make more use of DirectBuy. Another thing is that it’s hard to work out of like a bar fridge downstairs. And it takes about eight week for delivery for a lot of things. So instead of going through DirectBuy, we just went to Home Depot and bought a fridge and had it delivered a couple of days later.

I do like that the quality of things from DirectBuy have been good. When something has been damaged or not quite what we wanted, they’ve been very good about taking it back and replacing it, and getting things fixed. The staff has always been very good when I’ve talked to them. We continue to pay the membership. At first, we paid $5000 years ago. And then, we had to pay a smaller amount now. We’re paying around $300 a year for it. We don't always get our value every year, but when I did have to fix up the house for resale, that I was executor of, then there was more purchases that year.

When my nephew got married, I wanted to give them a wedding gift to help them set up their home. And the guy at Winnipeg that was running the store was great. I went in and told him that my purchases were not for myself and they were gifts. He gave me a bunch of fabrics, swatches, and told me that I could take them home and let the kids look at them. And I appreciated that. I'm happy enough to continue renewing membership and I would recommend DirectBuy to people.

Original review: July 27, 2020

I have been tracking an item that has been in my City for almost two weeks. I am guaranteed a delivery and it never happens. You must call customer service to track every shipment as your account is NEVER updated online. They delivery dates are just a guess... Shipment is never confirmed... People answering the phone have no idea what they are doing and it takes them weeks to get your refund (if they allow it). I have items in my account that I have had in my possession for over a year and it still says "call for status". The frustration and follow up required are not worth the savings.

Original review: July 2, 2020

We had a DirectBuy membership for a long time, but will not be renewing it. We recently bought an expensive Bosch appliance and it arrived defective right out of the box. DirectBuy did not provide any sort of support or assistance whatsoever. We were told to deal with Bosch, but since it was defective out of the box, Bosch kept directing us back to DirectBuy. Eventually, after several weeks, we were able to reach a resolution through Bosch (although not a very good one). But what was really surprising and disappointing was the lack of concern or even the slightest bit of help from DirectBuy’s end. Any other store - even Walmart - will let you return items that are defective. Meanwhile DirectBuy charges extremely high membership fees and provides zero customer support in exchange.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I have been using DirectBuy and their travel for years. I bought an prepaid for a travel certificate in late May 2019. They have a 1 year expiration. Because when Covid hit I had given no thought to travel. I went online today to find the certificate had expired even though there is still no idea when you will still be able to travel internationally. I contacted them and was told since it was purchased in 2019 they were not going to do anything for me even though it still could not be used. Their response is I should have booked something then let it be cancelled is the only way I could have gotten an extension.

Original review: March 7, 2020

Several years ago we purchased Diamond Cabinetry for our kitchen and laundry room from DirectBuy. We love our cabinets and were totally satisfied with every aspect of our purchase and delivery of them from DirectBuy. Recently, several of the soft close hinges have begun to fail. We contacted DirectBuy via email and received an immediate response from Melinda** of the Cabinet Design Team. Melinda immediately contacted Diamond for us (even though DirectBuy no longer carries their product). Within a short time, we received the hinges.

We are totally thrilled to be able to bring our cabinetry back up to perfect working order. We are very satisfied with all of the products and services we have received from DirectBuy. We highly recommend DirectBuy and thank Melinda ** for being an excellent representative of their company. We recommend that you try DirectBuy. You with be happy with the quality of the products offered and the support and service you will be provided.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I've been a DirectBuy member for 20 years and they have quality products. I used to feel that it was easy to find products, and then I used to feel that their prices were better than what you can get in the stores, but over the past five years, I do not. And I think it's very hard on the internet to search for different things and products. My wife said they don’t have good filter. I didn’t use the word DirectBuy, but she knows who I'm talking about. So, she knows that we have so much trouble. I get more competitive pricing. I just don’t think that you get that discounted rate that you used to get. I can go to Lowe’s and when something is on sale here, I get a better price.

DirectBuy author review by ConsumerAffairs

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for.

• Selection: Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Prices: Factory-direct discount prices. Initial membership fee can be put toward the first purchase.

• Guarantee: 30-day money-back guarantee on memberships.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team