Call toll free
4.59/5
Based on 715 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Gallery (4)
View More View More

1088 DirectBuy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

Info on a Beautyrest mattress set - It seem like the bed I was looking for a week ago was no longer there so Marcia got me some websites that I could look at for comparable items and gave me a price for one that I was interested in, she was very polite and helpful and very quick service, thanks again Marcia.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I recently purchased a new home that needed all window coverings. I made an appt with Trudy **, she walked me through the process and was excellent with all my changes and questions. She recommended some great products and a great company to do my measurements and installation. Looking forward to seeing the final product in my home! Thanks again Trudy!

Original review: June 12, 2018

Marcia was extremely professional and patient as we went through my order, as we had to change a few things in order to finalize the order properly (for example, I provided a model # from the DB website, but the desired colour was not shown online). She was friendly and very helpful. Well done!

Original review: June 11, 2018

We have been working with Jenifer **, Concierge's Desk. She's awesome to work with. Jenifer helped us place our original order for plumbing items. She made sure we had all the parts that were needed, called the vendor to locate items that were not listed and followed through and up with everything. One of the vendors has had a delay. Jenifer is on top of it making sure we get everything that is needed. DirectBuy has so many items that it can be overwhelming. I recommend Jenifer to help get you what you need. Great experience.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I went to three different people who were DirectBuy members and asked, "What do you know? How long have you been a member? Is it worthwhile?" and a lady who worked at the drapery department in Sears said that she was with DirectBuy to buy draperies because the price in Directbuy was better for her than what she could get at Sears. So we joined and spent significant amount of money there over the years. And we're very happy with it. We had a fairly large house which we sold about four years ago. We moved to an apartment and bought a bunch of stuff again. We've been very happy with the things we bought from them. The quality was fine except for the carpet. But with the help of Steve from DirectBuy, we got it replaced.

But we're in the stage of our lives wherein we don't need anything anymore. In fact, for the last two years, we haven't bought anything even though we often still see something in the Quarterly magazine that was of interest. One evening, we popped in our particular branch and found out that Steven no longer owned it. We still walked in and felt like home when everybody knew and greeted us but nobody was there that we knew except for three people. It was not bad but a different feeling. My wife and I then thought, "Why do we need to continue to be a member?" We both called up at different times to speak to the member that was on the invoice or reminder. They both said the same thing that we didn't have to sign up then. Whenever we were ready to purchase, then we could pay the annual fee. There was a lot of very fair options.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: June 10, 2018

We've been DirectBuy members since 2005. We were building a new home and had to buy a lot of things. They were located in Maple Shade back then and we had gone over, went through an orientation and decided that we were going to become members because we needed everything with the new home. They helped design the bathrooms and the kitchen and we picked out cabinetry, furniture and the appliances from them. We had a good experience. And with everything that we had purchased, we're very satisfied with them so far. We felt that we saved a lot of money and we got everything we wanted.

Then recently, I ordered a new sofa when I was looking at DirectBuy online. It was something that I've always wanted. I checked the prices and it seemed like I was still saving by going through DirectBuy. But I have to see if it would still meet the standard. The only problem is that DirectBuy isn't around here anymore so it's taking quite a while to receive the sofa. I ordered it in May but it's due in until around the 7th of July. Nevertheless, signing up with them was a very good idea.

Original review: June 9, 2018

When I was stationed in Kansas in 2013, I got my membership with DirectBuy. So far, I bought little things here and there, and finally I started being able to use the benefits of my membership here recently since I’m beginning to remodel my house. Purchasing online was really easy. I ordered an item and surprisingly, instead of taking four to six weeks, it was there in less than two weeks. So, that was pretty cool. However, I’m not thrilled about this concierge stuff. I’d rather have the showroom so I can sit down and go through catalogs because not everything is online. And usually, if I’m looking for some very specific items, I can’t do that online. So, I am upset that they're closing a lot of their showrooms.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Valerie did an excellent job to help us work through the various issues with our dining room furniture. It was a long process, but in the end worked out positively. Valerie was always promptly responsive and efficient in resolving everything and we are now satisfied with both her and DirectBuy.

Original review: June 8, 2018

One of our family members was a DirectBuy member and it sounded very interesting so I inquired and then started the process of joining. I've been a member for eight years now, and I've purchased furniture, appliances, and bedding from them. Their website is easy to navigate and to find the items that you are looking for. And the quality of their products is very good. Normally, the items that you can find are the higher quality items at a lower price which is good. I enjoy being a member and the services have always been good, and the people have always been very friendly and helpful. I'd tell my friends to definitely look into it to join.

DirectBuy response

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experience with DirectBuy. Our company values put member satisfaction as top priority and we are committed to making sure that our services reflect that principle. It is only through feedback such as yours that we can maintain, and where necessary, improve our services that we provide to our valued members. Thank you again for your response, and we look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: June 7, 2018

We've been a member of DirectBuy since 2007 through word of friends who joined in Colorado and then we joined in Pittsburgh. We have an older home. We didn’t have any furniture for it and it needed updated bathrooms in the kitchen. The best way to do it cost-wise was through DirectBuy. They’ve done most of my big projects. When we first move in, I did my washer and dryer through them. And I also furnished my whole front living room through them which would have been a fortune if I had done it through a retail outlet. I was also able to get custom furniture in a much-reduced price. I also did all my rugs with them because I have all hardwood floors. I bought hand-knotted Chinese rugs. I'm in the middle of redoing my master bathroom and a small runout upstairs on the master bath. I also redid my kitchen. I’ve got all my cabinets, lighting, appliances and hardware through them.

Our buy-in for them was like $5,000 when we joined and I made that back in the first year. So it has been really beneficial to us to use them. The hardest thing is now they don’t have the service centers anymore. It’s hard to get samples. I used to be able to go in and look at the blocks. And they would have a designer. But now they have a designer come to my house and she was great. And they designed a cabinet for my master’s bathroom and the guy in Florida was great. So hopefully everything will come in right and I’ll still be happy. But whenever there was a problem in the past, they always fixed it. In fact, one of my cabinets came in from Brookwood that was broken and they fixed it too. It took an extra month or two but I got the right cabinet all completely redone.

The quality of their product is very high that’s why I like them. It’s much better than doing retail. And then if you go to a designer store here, they compete with that quality but then you have to pay designer store prices. So I’ve been very happy so far. I had no trouble but then I’ve been doing it for a long time. So I’m kind of use to the process. And I’m learning better how to narrow the search down. Sometimes when I put in "knob" in a certain finish, it doesn’t always come up with that all the knobs that are there in that finish. Every website has its little quirks.

But sometimes when I go to the actual manufacturer's website, gather information and go back to DirectBuy and put in the model number or the exact color then it’ll come up. So I found ways if I can’t always find it directly. So if you’re going to order it yourself, you’re going to spend a lot of time doing it, unless you pay a designer for her time to do it. For me, it works because I know how to do it. You have to spend a time if you want to save a money. Also if your house is already done and you only need to buy a bedroom set, don't join. But if you have to redo a home or if you’re building a home, DirectBuy is the best way to go. I’ve been very happy with them and I hope they stay in business for a lot longer.

DirectBuy response

Original review: June 6, 2018

I learned about DirectBuy because of my sister and decided to become a member myself to save money. I bought appliances mainly and the quality has been good. The prices are worth it. Just make sure you’re ordering the right thing because we ordered a gas appliance and then just before we got it, we found out we couldn’t put it in.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Barbara was very helpful with finding something I couldn't find online. She took all the information and got back to me very quickly with the response with information on how to order and find pricing.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I was getting ready to do some home improvements so I decided to go ahead and purchase the membership of DirectBuy. It's definitely a good deal. Navigating their site is also easy. James, their rep, got me started, and anything I needed when I called him back for questions he was right there to answer everything. He was very good. So, kudos to him.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Amazing and helpful sales consultants. Eager to help and assist. Follow up is excellent and timely. My experience over the years has been awesome. When tackling projects, my first thought is to contact DirectBuy. Quality and savings are the key and you deliver.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your DirectBuy experience. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from members and use it to improve our systems and processes. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I first heard about DirectBuy from a colleague of mine. We were doing a renovation and they had really good prices. I purchased light fixtures and faucets so far and the experience was excellent. But the website could be better. It could be easier to filter products. We ended up going into the showroom and opening paper catalogs actually. So the website could be updated in my opinion. But it’s not horrible. Also the products are of very good quality. I would definitely refer DirectBuy.

DirectBuy response

Original review: June 3, 2018

Though our request to change product won’t be completed until next week due to the busy retail season, Barbara ** kindly contacted us to advise of the slight delay. We very much appreciate being kept up to date in such a timely fashion.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I had or order a tub via phone as I could not order direct through DirectBuy. Our concierge was awesome. She was very helpful as I didn't realize there was parts that were not included with the tub with the initial order. I would have had a problem having only 98% of the product needed to install the unit. Thanks very much!!! I appreciate the advice (and my brother-in-law Shawn spoke with her as well). She was super informative!

Original review: June 2, 2018

We’ve been members of DirectBuy for quite a while. We were doing a complete inside-out, upside-down home reno and even with their ridiculously high cost of doing, we still came out ahead. We got everything from flooring to furniture to appliances, lighting and all sorts of stuff from DirectBuy. We’re doing another reno now. We’ve renovated five bathrooms and five kitchens so far. We just finished buying all plumbing fixtures for yet another bathroom reno. And DirectBuy is very good.

I do most of the shopping online, but I also like to speak to the person they call their concierge so I also do it over the phone. And I find them super good to deal with. The quality of the product is also very good. What we do often is we look at a product online. We’ll find out who makes it and then we’ll go on to their individual website and get information. And then we’ll look for reviews so we also get some background information. If they have those products at showrooms close to us we will also go in and eyeball them physically. We’ve also purchased quite a few things without doing that as well. And we’ve always been quite happy.

DirectBuy is always very cooperative. We’re on the west coast of Canada and Vancouver is a huge city. But I live in an area called White Rock, which is a city on the seashore that’s about maybe a 45-minute drive from Vancouver. So the only place where we can actually pick up stuff at the warehouse is probably an hour-long drive from where we live and traffic isn’t great. You can arrive pretty cranky some days. But I find that even in the warehouse they’re just very pleasant and easy to deal with. And so it makes the whole experience a little bit easier. Nobody’s ever grumpy or nasty or short-tempered.

DirectBuy is a good investment if you're going to do a lot of purchasing. The fee costs $5000 here so for a lot of people that’s prohibitive unless they can afford that initial fee and it’s also going to pay off with their purchasing power afterwards. I would recommend them to a friend, providing that they would need to buy a lot of stuff. Otherwise, it’s not worth the investment because it’s such a big investment initially.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have you been a member since 2009. I had read up on them, and at that time, we had a store in Oklahoma City where we had access. I live about three hours away from there. We were going to do a remodeling job, and I felt like our initial payment into the company would pay for itself, and it did. I purchased furniture, tiles, and fabric. I also bought some light fixtures and I have used it when we used paint. Purchasing was easy, and the quality of the products have been good. However, when we started out, I was pretty persuaded there were many more companies to choose from, and I have talked to them about that. And what it came up with was in one catalog, it had a manufacturer, and then I said, “Okay. I’ll do that.” And they said, “Oh, we’re no longer with them".

I have complained about it and the lady said, “Well we do....” I said, “I understand that. But you used to have….” What has happened is that offerings have narrowed. I know that DirectBuy doesn’t have any control over that, but my question is, why? To give an example, for a little while, DirectBuy carried Highland House. They said, “For a limited time, we have this.” I then bought a $5000 bed for $1100. They don’t even carry it anymore. I used to run back and forth to Oklahoma City, and now the closest club that I can go to is six hours away now. If I had known Oklahoma City was going to close, I probably would not have done that.

So, if you’ve got a company that is an umbrella for several other companies, for the most part, what happens is, you can’t always have all that access. And this has been one of their really good companies, the Hooker Furniture. They have also Mor and Bradington Young, and two or three others. Then I went in and there was one company and it was a parent company to Caracal. Little by little, I just don’t think the quality is what it used to be. The quality has decreased over time. You buy something and later on, you wanna add to it, and then they no longer have that company. Part of what we bought into was to be able to do that. I invest in nice things. The products that they are putting out there on special may have been good 10 or 15 years ago and maybe that is their target audience. I expect too much from DirectBuy.

Original review: June 1, 2018

We recently ordered some nosing to complete our new floor from DirectBuy. Once the product was received we noted the colour was not the same as our flooring. Despite the fact that we mentioned this issue to the vendor they said it’s the correct one that matches with the one in the book. Initially we thought we could be out a couple of hundreds of dollars, however once we spoke with our sales representative Nathan ** he promised to look into this issue for us. I couldn’t believe it when he contacted us to advise the vendor would allow us to return it. DirectBuy does not usually accept a return unless it was damaged. I was thoroughly impressed with Mr. ** professionalism and promptness. Thank you.

Original review: June 1, 2018

We were renovating our house when I became a member of DirectBuy. A friend had told us about them and now I've been a member for about 13 years. I like being a member and I've always been satisfied. I've purchased a little bit of everything including for the kitchens, bathrooms, flooring, beds, and sofas. The overall range of products that are available, the quality of the items as well as the pricing are all excellent. Also, I always encouraged people to go and check them out. There was always a reticence for people to do it in the past because of the cost of the membership, but now that the memberships have been restructured in terms of costing so it's easier to send people that way.

DirectBuy response

Original review: May 31, 2018

We’ve been a member of DirectBuy for 15 years. We had bought a new house and I was looking to furnish it. I was worried about the transition over, but I’ve nothing but good experience with them. I have bought out their furniture and we loved the couch. However, I had a Sub-Zero I was looking to replace and they were sending me Whirlpool stuff. I thought that it was a disconnect. But it’s fine. I’m not unhappy with my membership. But I have found that the pricing is not always great. That is bothersome because by the time you check on all the other costs, sometimes it’s not worth it to do it so I pass on it. But for the things I have ordered, I’ve been very pleased. And for the $150 a year that it cost me, it’s worth for me to have the opportunity to at least check it out. And if you are doing some major renovations, I would recommend that you do it. But when my 10 years is up, unless they’ve greatly discounted that price, I won’t be signing back on again.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We purchased flooring product for our home and have had a very pleasant experience with DirectBuy. The price of the product is much better than other options we considered and the flooring representative, Barbara **, has been a tremendous help.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Napoleon Fireplace order: My DirectBuy Concierge contact - Russ ** was extremely helpful... He was professional, knowledgeable and very prompt. VERY satisfied with the service I received. Will shop again through Concierge Services.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I had sent an email to Carla telling her we were getting ready to install my new five star stove top and being unable to find the manual/installation instructions. I had later in the day unpacked another part of the stove and found the manual. I forgot to send another email saying I had found the manual. This all happened during the weekend. But by Monday early morning, I had a response already from Carla saying she had already reached out to someone to get us a manual. By then of course, I realized I had forgotten to send her the second email to let her know I had in fact found the manual. I was still very impressed that by so early on the next business day of my first weekend email, she had already taken steps to help. Wonderful service! Thank you Carla!

DirectBuy response

Thank you so much for your kind words, Martha. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us—and we agree, Carla is truly an asset to have on our team! We are extremely fortunate to have members like you. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: May 30, 2018

This is our second round purchasing kitchen cabinets with DirectBuy. Since We first bought cabinets with Norcraft and were satisfied with the quality we decided to use the same company again for a rental apartment we have. Jah was our designer this time. She drove just over an hour to meet with us and help us design the project. She gave us a lot of attention, advising about the different cabinet details and the best design for our small space. She was also able to expedite the manufacturing of the cabinets due to the need to get the apartment back on the market, they were delivered super fast! Jah returned all our phone calls, replied to all emails and text messages promptly. Even after the cabinets were delivered and installed, our carpenter made a mistake with the crown moulding, and Jah helped expedite the replacement piece. She was a pleasure to work with!

Original review: May 30, 2018

We were doing a major remodel on our house about 12 years ago and we went through DirectBuy and we bought all of our appliances there. The membership was $5000 back then, and the amount that we saved on all the appliances, carpet, and granite pretty much paid for the membership. The membership amount has gone down to $300 a year and we save a huge amount on furniture through DirectBuy. And we also buy gifts for people through them too.

We've remodeled three houses since we've been members and we've used DirectBuy every time. Before we purchase anything, we go out, compare and shop. We find the actual model that we like, and 9 out of 10 times, we'll go to DirectBuy. Then we'll just order it and get it shipped to us. I went to Lowe's and Home Depot, and I shopped the model that I wanted for a washer and dryer. I wrote down the model number and found it on the DirectBuy website, and it was half the price there and it's the exact same product.

You get a lot more bang for your buck. You just have to be willing to do the research, and then come back and research it on DirectBuy. Sometimes they don’t have the exact model. So then, you might have to get a little bit different model with a little different features, but you still come out with so much more. We bought a stove, a dishwasher, and a refrigerator for the current house we’re living in, and they were at least 50% off. And then they were shipped right to our house. I would definitely recommend them.

DirectBuy response

Original review: May 29, 2018

We made an appointment with DirectBuy and went down, and had a talk with them. I have been a member for four years now and I mostly purchase furniture. The purchasing process has been really good, and the quality of the products has been excellent too. With DirectBuy, you get a little bit better quality for the same price that you’d get lesser quality things in the store.

Original review: May 28, 2018

We’ve been DirectBuy members for 10 years. We had built a home and we used DirectBuy to purchase the things we needed at a discount. For the most part, you’re getting really good quality for the price you’re paying, like paying the reduced price so it’s really good. Right now, we’re waiting on the delivery of a sofa.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I used the concierge service to order a sofa from EQ3. The experience could not have been easier. Georgina was friendly, easy to talk to and quickly completed my order. It was a pleasure placing my order through her.

DirectBuy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for. Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Membership: A DirectBuy membership costs $69.95 per month, plus a $299 initiation fee. You can try DirectBuy risk-free for 30 days. Your membership includes services like concierge shopping, project coordination, phone assistance seven days a week, in-home design services, savings and more.

• Concierge services: DirectBuy’s concierge consultants are specifically trained to help you remotely. Concierge shopping can design custom cabinets for you, coordinate projects from start to finish, send you vendor samples, work with your budget, place orders for you, provide product photos, descriptions and prices and recommend local contractors.

• Savings: According to DirectBuy, it can give you significant savings it when it comes to home improvement projects. It has over 40 years of building relationships with manufacturers and distributors and works with them to save you as much money as possible.

• Project coordination: As a member of DirectBuy, you have access to project coordination services. If you want to remodel part of your home, you can let the project coordination team handle things like design, budget and local contractor management. DirectBuy has interior designers that will work with you until you find a design that is exactly what you want.

• My DirectBuy App: DirectBuy’s mobile app lets you search products, track orders and communicate with concierge consultants from your smartphone. It has an “I Want That!” feature that allows you to snap a photo of a piece of furniture you want and send it to DirectBuy where a consultant will help you track it down and find the best price.

• Best for: consumers wanting a top-of-the-line concierge-style online shopping experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs