Call toll free
4.30/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Gallery (4)
View More View More

1352 DirectBuy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Carla ** was highly professional and an exceptional help to me in a relatively complicated furniture purchase. She was knowledgeable, friendly, and anticipated my needs and questions. Her response time to any request was essentially instantaneous. It was a pleasure dealing with her, and I congratulate DB for having such a dedicated, efficient and personable representative.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Colleen is Great person, full of knowledge, and excellent person to deal with. She is up and ruining to help in any way she can. I am fully satisfied and would recommend Colleen to anyone need service.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I asked for a quote on cellular shades from Levolor. I received an email stating Levolor is not available to Canadians and suggested I use Hunter Douglas. Maxamar and Shadeomatic are also listed as vendors. It's not helpful to just suggest Hunter Douglas when you have other vendors.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I purchased a set of KitchenAid appliances through DirectBuy (WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM AGAIN) in July, 2018. Let me skip to the end here, I still don't have a refrigerator and the next potential delivery date is 3/18/2019, 8 months and counting. Their local delivery company JB Hunt received my appliances in their warehouse in October 2018 as planned and then scheduled delivery. On the scheduled delivery day they called me and asked why they had a delivery scheduled because they had an empty truck. Seriously? Turns out for reasons no one will tell me, they returned my appliances to Whirlpool and Whirlpool sold them to another customer (along with trying to get away with charging ME a $400 restocking fee). JB Hunt insisted they could get the appliances back on a rush order.

After months of getting nowhere with DirectBuy and completely stuck with my kitchen remodel (no countertops, no running water, no appliances and can't finish without them) I finally got them to deliver the stove, microwave, and dishwasher so I could at least complete part of my kitchen remodel. They won't give me any information about my refrigerator other than to send an email once a month on the scheduled delivery date moving that date out another month. The latest date was 2/14/18 and on 2/11 I received yet another email saying the Vendor (Whirlpool) has set the next scheduled delivery date as 3/18/19, now 8 months after I paid for my refrigerator. You might ask why don't I just cancel the order at this point and buy somewhere else. I'd love to but starting over at a local hardware store just puts me back in the queue and earliest scheduled delivery dates are past 3/18 so I'm concerned the same thing will happen all over again.

Additionally, I only bought Kitchen Aid through DirectBuy because of their discounts (paid $2980 for what retails as a $4000 fridge - I would NEVER have bought KitchenAid retail and now can't afford it, would love for my fridge to match everything else in my kitchen). But what good is a discount on something you can't ever get? Apparently, Whirlpool's business model is to sell you items that haven't yet been manufactured and then put you in a never-ending queue for what is coming up on a year, a year, with absolutely NO explanation or assistance. All 3 of these vendors are to blame here and not a single one of them has owned up to it or given a sufficient explanation. I can't even contact Whirlpool directly because I purchased through DirectBuy and they won't give me the location of the specific vendor they're working with.

I've filed a BBB complaint against DirectBuy but can't do so with Whirlpool because DirectBuy won't give me the location. My old refrigerator is in my garage and I am not physically capable of moving it back in my house temporarily (nor do I want to because I have brand new hardwood floors that have yet to have the final finish coat on because they are waiting for the fridge to be moved in (so JB Hunt doesn't scratch my floors).

DirectBuy refuses to even offer financial assistance to move my old fridge back into the house (I already paid to have it moved out - living in Colorado I've had nothing but frozen food for the past 4 months). I just want a refrigerator but am now concerned it won't work even if I ever get it based on Kitchen Aid reviews on this site. Stay away from Kitchen Aid, Whirlpool, DirectBuy and JB Hunt. Although I don't think they have appliances, Wayfair is the way to go, they have THE BEST customer service, something DirectBuy and Whirlpool apparently haven't heard of.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, April. We apologize for your recent purchase experience and would like to assist you. We'll reach out privately to begin resolving this issue with your recent purchase.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I was living in San Antonio and a friend of ours belonged to DirectBuy. Then in 2000, I joined in Richardson since I could get top-grade carpet and save the fee for the membership cost. It was one year there and then, they moved to Coppell. My wife was a little distraught when we started looking over in Coppell though. She’s a little old-fashioned and rather than looking in the magazine, she wanted to see the furniture and put her hands on it. I bought furniture there and then it moved to the closest place where we acquired our box springs. I went here to Houston and my granddaughter and I picked out the couch and the fabric. I’m getting ready to buy another one. I bought furniture for the bedrooms and dining room and those were good ones. I bought almost the same thing somewhere else but I found it in DirectBuy for about half the price. It was good to look through a lot of things, so I appreciated it. Whatever you want, you could go to DirectBuy and get it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

One of my friends signed up for DirectBuy and it seemed like a good idea to save money. If you are going to be doing a big project and you know that you’re going to be purchasing several items, then DirectBuy is definitely worth it. I’ve been a member for about 10 years now but there was a gap. I cancelled my membership but then they reached out to me and I signed up again. From year to year, sometimes, you don’t use it. I don’t update everything around the house every year. But when you have a renovation project ahead of you, it’s so worth it.

I've purchased a lot of lighting fixtures and then some furniture. We’re renovating our bathroom downstairs in the basement and we did the bathtub through DirectBuy. The experience when using DirectBuy is good for the most part. It does have a good amount of information about the product. But since they did the upgrade and redesigned the website about a month back, their search field has been broken.

The bathtub that I purchased is from a company called Neptune and the name of the bathtub is Zen Bathtub. But none of those keywords will find it. It is horrid. I had a situation with my plumber where I had to go and double-check what the specifications of the bathtub were. And it was such a pain to try and find it. Putting in “Zen” in the search criteria would not find it. But in putting in “Neptune”, we found all the Neptune products and they have hundreds upon hundreds of products. It was really difficult. If DirectBuy can talk to their developers and tell them to improve the search, that would be amazing. But on the other hand, the overall quality of the products is good.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We’ve been members of DirectBuy for years. We saw it advertised. We were buying furniture, doing some renovations, and thought it would be a good thing to do. We took out half a house and redid it. Previously, I didn’t like purchasing from DirectBuy online and it was fine if I came to the store. But the online has gotten a lot better, so that experience is much easier to deal with since we now live downtown and didn’t have to go up there. The web online experience is very important to us, to be able to order something.

We just ordered a sofa. We got swatches delivered to us and now it’s ordered and on the way. We did all that without stepping foot in the store, which for me is a big benefit. However, maybe links to the supplier’s direct website would be useful, where we can see it in Toronto or in the city where we are residing, where we could go and see the product. But the quality of the items we received is very good. They’re higher-priced items, to begin with, but we get a great deal on them that it’s economical. I also had a great experience with one of their customer support people, Linda. Their reps were wonderful. They did a really great job with keeping me updated and answering all the questions in a timely manner.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I’ve been a member since 2004. Found out today that my local branch was closed. Called their corporate number and discovered that they had closed all their “brick and mortar” stores and only offer on-line and phone service now. That sucks! Not only did I lose that face to face connection, but I also lost most of my previous “local” DirectBuy vendors (tile supplier, doors, staircase, railing). Their response was basically that I was out of luck. On-line and phone sales are a dime a dozen. I do not like nor appreciate their new business model. Whoever made this decision for DirectBuy made a huge mistake!

DirectBuy response

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your DirectBuy membership. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from members and are committed to turning your experience into a positive one moving forward. We would love to contact you directly to discuss any problems that you had with your membership in the past and how we can assist you with your future projects and purchasing needs.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I joined DirectBuy a long time ago, like more than 15 years. I did the showroom and it’s great. I liked the price and I liked what they did, so I joined them. I purchased mostly furnitures, electronics, appliances and household items. Their price is good. But they closed our local showroom. If they can have a showroom, it would be much better. Doing it online is inconvenient and I suggest for them to scan the other paper catalogs into their site. A lot of times, we cannot find the items and because the manufacturers, sometimes don’t have their catalog published in their own website as well, so it’s difficult for us to find a particular item. Nonetheless, the quality of the items and the service are good. The online site is also easy to navigate. We recommend this service to everybody.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I had not order enough extra pieces for my flooring and Angela was able to help without it costing an arm and a leg. For that I'm thankful. This remodeling has been a nightmare in cost and time, so every little bit helps.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Being with DirectBuy saved me money. When I used to have to go through binders full of catalogs, that was too time-consuming. I also liked the people who were in the showroom. They were nice and helpful. Because I don't have a showroom, now I have a concierge service, which I found very helpful, and I just did two bathrooms. However, the website is still a little confusing. I couldn't find some things. My brother and sister-in-law were also not sure that they could find things. They felt confused. I told them to call and talk to somebody on the concierge desk. They did and that helped them. I know that the company keeps a record of all the purchases made. Once a while, you lose track of the receipt. It would be cool that when I go to Amazon and buy something from them, I could see my order history.

I ordered an aquarium and it's not even been a month, it's already making a sound but it shouldn't. So I just went back and there it was, I could contact the seller easily. That's really helpful because then I've got that purchase record. And so, if I have a warranty problem, I know that's not something that DirectBuy handle, but it's something that I would have to handle. Nevertheless, DirectBuy has been easy to work with and I highly recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We were planning on doing some renovations to our house, and it was a great opportunity to purchase things wholesale. We've done kitchens, bathrooms, and furniture with DirectBuy. We've been members of it for 15 years and I would encourage others to join them. Some of the stuff that we purchased, such as the kitchens and bathrooms, we've known the manufacturers and had seen the samples of it before we actually purchased it. We've done comparative shopping, so the quality of the products is very good. The cost comparison is important too since we always want to validate the pricing, and we also bought products that are in the middle market -- not the very high-end stuff.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We went to a home and garden trade show about 22 years ago and DirectBuy was called UCC Total Home at the time. We were just engaged to be married then. We were starting our home and starting to nest. We bought the membership with the store. At that age, we were buying pretty much anything people put in front of us like timeshares. It may have been a bit of a no thought through, but we’ve enjoyed the membership so I don’t regret that.

I’m still happy with DirectBuy. We’ve been members for 20-some years and we’ll continue to maintain that membership. We’ve learned the process so we’re pretty good when it comes to purchasing. My wife would like to see more stuff online for it to be easier as an online experience because the franchise partner’s hours can be more suited to stay-at-home people versus office workers. You have to get on to the downtown core, into the site, and maybe you only have an hour to go to find what’s there or make decisions in their showroom. That’s the difficult part but it’s pretty straightforward.

When it comes to quality of purchases, it depends on what you buy and who you buy them from. I bought two kitchens through DirectBuy and they were great. The furniture that they have have different standards so you need to read the descriptions and know what you’re getting before you make a decision. But overall, if you’re paying attention and you’re focused on quality, then you can get that.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I was working in New York as a security guard and I saw one of the tenants in the building having the book but I couldn’t afford the membership then. I got married in 2005 and when I met my wife, I told her we need to join DirectBuy because we would get stuff really good and reasonably. We moved to Georgia and about a week after, we went straight to DirectBuy and signed up. Considering the price differences with what you could get, I made my money back on the first of the stuff that I bought. If a friend were to ask me, I would tell them they need to sign up real quickly. Over the years, my wife have had almost 40 people sign up for DirectBuy.

We were building a house and buying all the furniture. Then we were buying the appliances. We were also buying different things like sneakers, car tires and an exercise machine – the whole nine yards. Yeah, I've used DirectBuy. And in the beginning, we used to go to the showroom. But for whatever reason, they stopped having a showroom. Now, you have to do that all online. It’s not more difficult now. It’s just a different way. You can’t see the stuff but I do my own research. What I do is I find another furniture place that carries the merchandise so I can actually see it. But sometimes, you run into the problems where they’re not necessarily the same authentic stuff. For example, there was one piece that I was buying through DirectBuy. My wife and I went to a store here in Georgia to go look at it but the item was a replica. It was obvious too. It was not something that’s 90% convincing. It was about 70% convincing.

I wish DirectBuy would have more showrooms or some idea where they can recommend for someone to actually go see the stuff with their eye. That would be great. I think not having the showrooms is probably gonna hurt the company down the road. But the only issue I have with the DirectBuy is the delivery process. When you buy the furniture and pay for delivery, it goes to the central location. You have to go pick it up or you’re gonna have to pay for another delivery. Delivery should be from the manufacturer straight to your house. Nonetheless, I'm 100% satisfied with DirectBuy. Overall, the experience has been pretty good.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

In general I've been extremely pleased with the service provided by DirectBuy. Everytime I've had a question I've received answers within a 1-2 day window with good answers. The staff is extremely helpful. Specifically Maria **. Thank you and keep up the good service.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

My husband and I paid close to $4K to join in 2012/2013. We were doing quite a lot of renovation and thought the membership would help us hold the line on expenses. From the first item I ordered (a wedding gift for a niece) it was a huge hassle. Order mix-ups, shipping delays of several months. When renovating, a several month delay is costly and we found that often given the savings, we were getting more headaches than value and let our membership lapse that first year. A VERY expensive lesson.

To this day we get emails to rejoin for $150, $100, this latest, $60. Given the front costs and the very little return, one would think that we would be at least entitled to membership until we attained at least a fair percentage of value from that initial investment. Like I said, a very expensive lesson that still stings to this day. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I wanted to redo my kitchen and having seen all the ads on TV, I thought of checking DirectBuy out. I joined in 2007 and have since done an entire renovation of my kitchen. At that time, I’m a single woman so I couldn’t take anybody with me and it was very hard to choose different finishes. But the people that I worked with in Barrie were wonderful. They were extremely helpful. I got everything from door handles to sink, flooring, backsplash, cupboards, and all the appliances from DirectBuy. I have also put all new windows in my living room and dining room since. And I was able to do a couple of windows as well for my sister in Toronto. The products that I've bought from them have all been well-made and have functioned well, too.

Yesterday, I just got new Hunter Douglas shutters put in, which the rep suggested I go with instead of another option since I have dogs. Everybody has been punctual and has done an amazing job with what they’ve done while they’ve been here. The only thing is I live in Gravenhurst and if I want to go to a DirectBuy showroom, I have to go down to Markham. We used to have the one in Barrie, which was an hour away, but this one is two hours away. Other than that, it has been a wonderful experience. I can’t speak highly enough about DirectBuy.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

We were renovating an old house and we were looking at new furniture. We went into DirectBuy to see. We've purchased mostly furniture as well as an area rug, paint, and fixtures. I'm pleased with the quality of everything I've gotten so far. If we had to make a major purchase, we always looked at DirectBuy before we purchase from a retailer. If it's something small, we usually order online and have it shipped to the house. For the bigger furniture purchases, I usually like to talk to somebody.

We know what we want and we will find a store that has it. Then, we would find it somewhere else. We would call and ask about the price and there have only been two times that DirectBuy has not at least matched the item, even if it was 100 bucks. Now, it's much easier with the concierge service. They used to not deliver to your house and now, everything can be delivered to your house instead of having to go to a warehouse or the store to pick the item up. This is really better for us, especially for big purchases.

When we joined DirectBuy, they still had the in-store design rooms. We paid the big lump sum up front and we just pay a renewal fee once a year. We had a three-year before we started to do the renewal and it more than paid for itself in the first three years with the items that we bought. Now, they have a different type of membership and the numbers are different and if there wasn't the large lump sum upfront again, I would definitely recommend it. Five years ago, we made that choice. We knew what we were gonna purchase and we made sure we got our money's worth.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

We have been DirectBuy members since 2008 and we've bought furniture, appliance, tool equipment, mattress, and window treatment there. We go to DirectBuy Ottawa and our experience with them was always very good. When we go there, we try to regroup the order that we need so we don't need to go often. We also did it online. The catalog is also nice to receive. Navigating through their website is very good though they have changed it recently when I went on there. It said error, and then I saw shops, brands and all that.

The products that I got at DirectBuy was very good. Although there was one piece of furniture that we had a problem. It was bedroom furniture and it had a crack. We didn't get compensated because they were not in business anymore. It was upsetting because it was solid wood and we paid quite a bit for that. Even with the reduction with DirectBuy, it was not cheap furniture. They should consider having more brands from North America or Europe and less Chinese-made products. On the other hand, we are expecting a couch that is gonna arrive in March and the concierge has been very useful to help shopping when we have a question. Overall, DirectBuy is a very good brand. For the amount that we put to our membership fees, I think it was worth it and I'd recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I had not received a copy of the Winter Inspired Catalog, so I called to see if one could be mailed out to me. I spoke to Amy ** & she said most certainly one could get mailed out right away! She sent me a follow up email telling me that my copy of the catalog was in the mail! During the course of our conversation she was friendly, polite & helpful! It was a pleasure dealing with her!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I got a whole house full of discounted furniture from DirectBuy, including hardwood floor and shoes. I signed up with DirectBuy due to the discounts. Way back when I started, they had brick-and-mortar buildings. I went into the store and I had a chance to sit down on the furniture. Since they were selling Ashley Furniture products, I went to Ashley and sit down on the same furniture. If I like it, then I get it. Now, DirectBuy is online and I recently signed back up with them. I'm doing everything by calling into their concierge and they're the ones that do everything for me. The interactions I've had with their customer service reps were fantastic. They work with me and are very helpful and mindful of my time.

Among the products that I've ordered from them, there was only one thing that didn’t turn out right. There was an extra warranty for my furniture and we called DirectBuy to have it fixed. But for some reason, in the small print, I found out that the company that they had to contract with way back in 2003 couldn’t fix the furniture. So, we had to pay out of our own pocket to get it fixed. People should take time to read the fine print on any additional warranties. Because if they don’t, they might find that there is something that they thought they have but actually, they didn’t have. Other than that, I'm very happy with DirectBuy.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

The wrong latch was ordered with my door levers for the type of doors I have, I needed a drive in latch, and they first sent out the standard with a latch plate. I would have had to chisel out 20 doors to put in the latches that came with my order. Thankfully Jennifer spoke with a contact at the supplier and they are able to send me the correct drive latch for all my doors. Yay! Thanks for helping fix this problem. Saves me tons of time!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We went for a tour of rental properties, so we thought it would be to our advantage that we become a member of DirectBuy. We've ordered flooring, carpets and those type of things. With one of the flooring orders that was delivered, the delivery company was not very professional. The house is at the bottom of the hill, and they dumped everything at the top of the hill. We had a workman there that saw them drop it three times, so some of the boxes were busted over open. Luckily, it was hickory flooring, so it wasn’t damaged too badly. But it did influence my buy. Shortly after that, when I needed tile, I didn’t get it from DirectBuy because that definitely would have broken had I received the same delivery people. Also sometimes I would like more brands. But as a whole DirectBuy does really well. I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

The service and information received by Barbara ** was excellent. The only reason that I gave a 4 star and not a 5 star rating was because all replies are sent to ** and SHOULD be sent to **. I request this when I ask for a quote and more often than not, it is sent to the wrong address! I have checked on my account page and the address showing is **!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I'm having a house built right now so I'm buying a whole bunch of stuff using my membership with DirectBuy. I also buy random things like appliances, window treatments, lighting, plumbing, and furniture from them. The purchasing experience was easy. Their website was easy to use and the concierge service was outstanding. In terms of the cost in relation to the quality, the price is adequate although sometimes, the 6% handling fee might be a little high. Their initial cost was fairly substantial as well and it takes quite a while, even at good savings, to recoup that it might need to be looked at. Other than that, they offer a lot of vendors, but it could always be more by increasing the number of vendors to improve the customer experience.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

This concierge was the best I have dealt with yet. She researched and emailed me with possibilities on the same day! That has never happened in my experience with DB. In addition, her phone presence was exceptional. Thank you Jennifer **.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

We've purchased mattresses, pots and pans, an LG washer-dryer and a crib through DirectBuy and I’ve been happy with the quality of the items. They've been name brands. The crib has lasted through three kids. It still looks fine and we passed it off to my daughter to use. We also just did a large KitchenAid appliance package including a fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave and wall oven. I research everything that I buy. For the appliance package I went out and physically looked at the products at another store to make sure it was what I wanted so that I don't have to send them back.

Right now, the fridge and wall oven that I’m waiting for seems to be taking longer. They said it would take six to eight weeks in order to come in and it’s on its eighth week now. But they keep giving me updates on the delivery and every time I've sent a question, they’ve answered it. Our experience with DirectBuy has all been positive and we've recommended DirectBuy and have friends that have joined.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I was doing a lot of refurbishing and thought DirectBuy was worth the purchase. I thought that I would make the money back from the initial investment relatively quickly. I bought everything, from tile to fixtures to windows to wood, building materials, door handles, hardware, doors, and a bunch of stuff for a construction. Recently, I bought about 15 door handles for a project from Emtek through DirectBuy. The purchasing experience was very good and the quality of the products is excellent. With the very high initial buying price, I'd tell friends who ask about DirectBuy to really question whether they'd be able to make up the difference relatively quickly or they’d be better off buying the materials online that are slightly higher priced.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We went to a home show with DirectBuy a long time ago. We signed up because of their discounted merchandise. We’ve purchased kitchen cabinetry, bedroom furniture, ceiling fans, light fixture, tile, granite and appliances. For us the warehouse and the little place that they have stuff on display and their catalogs are far away from us. But their concierge service has been really nice.

The quality of their products is excellent. But we just received the bedroom furniture set and it has some manufacturing defects on it so they're trying to figure out what’s going on with that. When we purchased their cabinets and it took a couple of times of working with them to get stuff that wasn’t damaged during shipping. But they were always right there helping and making sure we were taken care of. DirectBuy saved us some money.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

With DirectBuy, we are able to get quality products at a good rate. We wanted to remodel our house and we found that they had good deals. We purchased our membership and we bought a stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, and the washroom dryer through them. I was focused on Maytag. And so, I bought all Maytag appliances because I bought a Maytag washing machine and dryer back in ’05, and I enjoyed the product and the quality. I did all my shopping around and DirectBuy always got the better price for the higher-end models, and they met the average sale prices. DirectBuy is pretty good.

DirectBuy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for.

• Selection: Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Prices: Factory-direct discount prices. Initial membership fee can be put toward the first purchase.

• Guarantee: 30-day money-back guarantee on memberships.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs