3.9/5 (1542 ratings)

About DirectBuy

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

Ordered 4 piece bedroom furniture Aug 3, 2021 and our last piece is at their Calgary warehouse now...Aug 17/22. We’ve been to Calgary twice now (6 hour round trip ea time) to pick up the furniture and the furniture has been either damaged or missing each time. It’s so very frustrating as you can never talk to anyone of authority at DB that can make some decisions and emails don’t get answered for weeks on end. This one night stand has been ordered 3 times now! I’ve been dealing with DB for over a year about this furniture and you’d think someone would have the courtesy to get back to me so we can discuss who's going to pay for this delivery, because I’m not making another 6hr trip! Still waiting for someone to phone or email about this! Unbelievable!

Original review: June 13, 2022

We have been members for about 20 years. Early on the stores were great, the service was great and the prices were REALLY great. Seems like the new owner is cashing in on the Brand. We ordered a new range in March 2021 - after 6 estimated delivery dates - we cancelled - got our money back (which they did not guarantee) and got a new one delivered in two days - at close to the same price. Broadly the selection is much reduced and prices now are about Amazon. For the first time in 20 years we will not be renewing.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2022

Do not purchase anything from DirectBuy (DB), especially large purchases. Their sub-contracted vendors are the cheapest, lowest quality they can find so DB can keep more profits. I purchased thousands of dollars of flooring, was forced to pay hundreds of dollars to use their shipper, and this inept company in western Virginia [NonStopDelivery (NSD)] damaged almost 1/4 of my order...The boxes fell off the truck because they were not packed in shrink wrapped pallets like I was told they would be and the planks chipped. Now, no one from DB is resolving my complaint. Consumer Affairs, you need to alert consumers that BOTH of these shoddy companies should NEVER be used.

Original review: April 19, 2022

We joined DB back in 2004. Several of my family and friends joined based upon our experience. Then DB closed its brick and mortar and went into bankruptcy. They have been going downhill ever since. We continue our membership because the annual fee isn't that much and we occasionally find something at a good price. Most of the items are not really discounted anymore, but some of the luxury furnishing are still less expensive. Their customer service is horrible. So, hopefully you don't have any problems with your order. If you do, expect them to take weeks to resolve it, keep you in the dark throughout the process, and never return your calls.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I am writing this to protect other people from becoming an other victim of Directbuy. This company is a scam. Don’t waste your time and money with them. I paid $5000.00 for my membership but when I realized that I was actually paying more when buying from them than from retailers I canceled my membership. Of course they didn’t give me my money back. They are liars that will rob your money.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

DirectBuy are bunch of liars, cheaters, stealers with high power tactics to sign up their customers in membership and charge you $ 5000 like Timeshare business... Once signed up their membership, they blackmail you if membership is cancelled as they threaten to ruin our credit history... We never bought anything from their any of their so called store as we felt their business practices were unethical, unprofessional and illegitimates... We strongly suggest that Canada/USA regulatory authorities should look into DirectBuy business practices and bring them to justice as they have ripped lots of innocent people of their hard earned money..!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I've been a member of DirectBuy since 2015. This year, we decided to remodel a few bathrooms in our home and to also replace some furniture. We placed several orders for items from different vendors through the DirectBuy website. My dissatisfaction is with the estimated delivery date that DirectBuy publishes after you place an order, the lack of transparency around this information, the lack of systems in place to keep this date updated, and the poor customer service experience when expressing my frustration.

As an example, we decided to purchase a new dining room set from Legacy Classic, and placed the order on July 6th of this year. The estimated delivery date provided by DirectBuy was for Monday, October 4th. On 10/3, I decided to call DirectBuy as I had not received a call to inform me the time for the delivery. The DirectBuy representative informed me that they did not have any updated information in their system, and would need to contact the vendor, and that a response would be provided to me within 48 business hours. I understood as I was calling on a Sunday and was not expecting a response until at least Wednesday. That day, 10/6, I received an email from a rep saying that they had reached out to the vendor for an update and would contact me as soon as they had one.

The next day, I replied back and expressed my displeasure in that I still had not received an update, it was already 4 days after the estimated delivery date, and the system still didn't show an updated date. I also expressed that I shouldn't have to contact DirectBuy to inquire about a missed delivery date - there should be systems and processes that keep this information updated to set the proper expectation with the customer!

Unfortunately, not to my surprise, I didn't even receive a response from the representative acknowledging anything I was expressing. On Saturday, 10/9, I again called in to see if there was any update in the system, which I was informed there was not. Again I was told that someone would reach out to me within 48 hours. On Monday, 10/11, a Merchandise Specialist contacted via email and told me she had reached out to the vendor to get an update on my order. I replied back and again expressed the same that I had to the previous rep, and that I also wanted to speak with someone higher to escalate this issue. This brings me to today, Wednesday, 10/13, and I have not received a response from anyone yet, acknowledging or providing me someone I could speak to higher in authority at DirectBuy to escalate the issue.

I typically don't write reviews, positive or negative, and I probably wouldn't have if this was the only occasion in which this occurred. But this has happened at least a few times already this year where I have to constantly check-in and play phone tag and send messages via email to get an update on my orders. DirectBuy is constantly missing on their estimated delivery dates, and I understand, they are estimates, but at least they should keep the consumer updated and acknowledge their communications. If anyone is considering joining DirectBuy, I would say don't do it. It will be a lot more frustration than it's worth, and the savings aren't that significant after you add up all the delivery, handling, and freight fees.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I would like to thank Crystal, in the Escalations department. Crystal is an outstanding employee. Crystal went over and above to help me with these orders. I would give her more than the highest rating score. Crystal was not the first person I talk to about these orders. I called a lot.

Original review: May 25, 2021

I have been with DirectBuy for over 10 years. I used to be able to go to a store in Gurnee, IL to check prices on things. So I knew what the wholesale price was. Now their prices are not wholesale anymore. They are most of the time higher than retail. I would not recommend joining DirectBuy anymore. They have been sued for being a scam, they lost to the tune of $500,000, and now they are trying to get it back by selling retail, instead of wholesale. The refrigerator I was looking at was $1844.00 on Direct Buy, and $1797 at Lowes, $1699.00 at Home Depot. Go buy retail, and save the Direct Buy yearly fee.

Original review: April 28, 2021

I have been a member since 2007 and for the first few years I was an avid supporter of DB. Once they started closing brick & mortar that was the end. Pricing has been better in the open market once you add all the DB fees, orders go unfulfilled and now shipping is a new way of profit for DB. Example of orders that go unfulfilled- I placed an order for a $800 sound bar which had a retail rice of over $1000. in October of 2020, I received four shipping delays on the item only after I emailed them every time first. The final delay caused me to cancel the order because the new shipping date was now going to be end of May 2021. Seven months later the price on street was now the same so I cancelled.

During this time my subscription had expired, I received no less than six phone calls from DB asking me about my renewal and when I would be doing it. I stated we were working through issues that could affect my renewal. After credit was finally received for cancelled order I went through with a two year renewal which I'm sorry I ever did. Example of pricing- I requested pricing on some very high end grill items. When I finally received the pricing weeks later and after follow up emails from me. I was once again able to purchase items cheaper on the street and this was without even adding the now infamous DB fees.

Example #3- Let's give them a chance and say it's a fluke. We want to order two ottomans for patio. We get ahold of the concierge service and ask pricing. We get base quote for items which was more than fair deal. We then ask for complete quote which means let's add the fees on. Well lo and behold we can now by it local on the street for the same price. Why because of shipping fees, first is the $40 guarantee shipping rate fee then there is the $140 shipping fee. We see the warehouse is only 10 miles from our location.

We ask to waive the fees and I can pick it up in person. Reply, "Oh this warehouse doesn't allow this". I then ask about drop ship from manufacture, "Oh we can't do that". I ask about forced delivery and not being able to pick it up this time it's a Covid issue. DB use to allow and had pick up when they owned the the B&M locations, when they closed them it was then pick up at warehouses that would change and move all over my state. Now they are forcing delivery as only way. Just another DIRECT BUY SCAM! Don't make the mistake, run if anybody even mentions this name.

DirectBuy author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for.

• Selection: Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Prices: Factory-direct discount prices. Initial membership fee can be put toward the first purchase.

• Guarantee: 30-day money-back guarantee on memberships.

DirectBuy Company Information