Call toll free
4.44/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Gallery (4)
View More View More

1249 DirectBuy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Having in mind that I am gonna build a house one day, I signed up with DirectBuy. I also got in just for the deals in building and have been a member since around 2006. From then, I have done a couple of kitchens and got windows using my membership. And my girlfriend had bought a few things too. Everything that we've gotten has been of good quality and the experience we had with our last big orders have been good as well. Dealing with the last lady we had for the windows was really easy and fast. I also have this kitchen designer that I always use because he's really easy and good. Although there was a little bit of a run-out one time when we were trying to get a TV and it was a long process, and then it was discontinued from the manufacturer. Other than that, it's been easy and the deals are good. And so, I've got a few people signed up on there.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

A few days ago we decided to update the carpet in our bedrooms. We contacted the concierge center and they directed us to the Richmond carpet website. Once we made a decision we call back and spoke to Jan **. She was extremely helpful as we had many questions. We told her we would call back once the rooms were measured professionally. A

fter a few days, the measurements were done, and we called back and asked for Jan. Unfortunately, the type of carpet was unavailable in the quantity we needed, so after finding alternates, Jan was able to see which type was available. She was very easy to talk to and took the time to check with the manufacturer several times what carpet and cushion were available in our quantity. We eventually found one we liked and made the order. She was also very helpful in getting the carpet shipped to Winnipeg. I highly recommend Jan, and will ask for her by name, next time we order from DirectBuy.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I was doing a lot of renovations at the time I joined DirectBuy. I like the savings and I've been a member for 10 years now. I've purchased mostly appliances and furniture. The purchasing experience is very difficult and the warranty could be improved. I have to inspect everything at the store so closely before I take it home or they're not gonna cover it. I got a table that had a little bit of water damage on the edge and because it was in the cart, I inspected it when I picked it up. It was upside down in the cart and I guess the corner got bumped by the freight company. Shipping damage once it leaves the store is not covered. But I also couldn’t see it when the package was open up until I actually put the table together at home. So, I have that feeling when I'm buying, especially when buying something for somebody else as a gift and then it's not gonna work for him.

They could certainly improve their warehouse as well so that they could handle more products. Either they need a bigger warehouse or they need shelving to handle the product that get in because some days I go in there and they just can't move, which makes it difficult for them to take more stuff. They’d be able to handle a much higher volume if they could store it properly when products arrive. Quite often, they hold trucks back from Calgary anyway until they got room to take more. We deal with the Scottsdale branches while we're in Phoenix and they have the same issue with their warehouse being too small. Other than that, the quality of the products are good and anybody who I've called and spoken to were fine.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

We’ve been DirectBuy members for several years. We joined when we started building our home. We purchased things in the past like all of our kitchen appliances and our steam shower in our bathroom, a refrigerator for the garage and a dryer for our daughter. Now that you can order everything online, it has been great and very easy. I can go online and look, and look, and look. I don’t have to pull books out. I really like it.

The products are excellent. Most recently, I placed an order for a cheap old Whirlpool freezer refrigerator. The first one that came out was dented so they didn't even drop it off. They didn’t give me a chance to say I didn't want it. The next one they brought out was the same refrigerator and it was also dented, not only in the top freezer door, but in the bottom as well. It was my responsibility to get ahold of Whirlpool and I did that, and they never returned my call. DirectBuy got ahold of them and worked with them.

I’ve priced DirectBuy against Sam’s Club and Scratch & Dent. My husband was looking at some that were at Lowe's, but they were $200 more for their Scratch & Dent one than what we were paying for a brand new one. It was totally worth it. It was quite pricey back in the day. But now, we just do the renewal thing. I would recommend DirectBuy and I would join again.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

We've been DirectBuy members for about 12 years and they've been really good. It was a good decision to join. It was hard in the beginning but we've definitely used it. As long as you can justify the buy-in, like if you’re doing some large project, do it. That was what we did in the beginning. We were remodeling the entire house and DirectBuy was extremely helpful. Since then, we've kept it up because we usually buy at least one or two items a year so it’s been good. In fact, I've bought just about anything that they had, even doors, locks and granite. That was granite countertop and tile flooring for bathrooms. I’ve also bought hardwood flooring, cabinets, a fireplace, couches, furniture, cabinets and a barbecue grill. I also bought a lot of Kohler products. I haven’t had any problem with anything. And if there is a problem, DirectBuy has been really good about backing it up.

I had an issue with purchasing a faucet and they had it but all of a sudden, it was out of stock. It was gonna be a long time and when we were able to find it locally, they honored the price. The purchasing experience has been great. But I miss having the showroom and talking directly with some of the people down there that I established a good working relationship with. I also don’t have as many of the local vendors anymore, which I really miss, because I like to support the local vendors. But everybody that I’ve talked to in their office in Indiana has been more than helpful. Sheryl has been helping me and she’s been amazing and helpful. I’m in the process of getting some more cabinets. They’re getting delivered this week and everything has been going great. We've gotten DirectBuy's travel section as well. We’ve done cruises and those have also been good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I've been a DirectBuy member for 10 years. My husband was building a house so we purchased cabinets and flooring from them. I got divorced so I had to buy all new appliances, and then I moved so I had to buy appliances again. And I just buy odds and sods from them. For the most part, my purchasing experience with them was really good. The quality is very good too. I would definitely recommend them. They have high-end stuff. I bought blinds, furniture, and flooring, and everything has been very, very high-end. So, if you don’t want to pay the price for high-end stuff, it’s not worth it.

I was always in their showrooms when they used to have them, but they don’t have them anymore, which is the only downfall. I would really love to see the showrooms brought back because I had bought a couch. It’s awesome but not as comfortable as I would have hoped. Same thing with the mattresses. I bought four mattresses. I was really hoping that the one I bought for myself was gonna be ultrasoft because they said it was, but it’s not. So, that’s the only drawback.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

We've been with Direct Buy since it was TotalHome and we bought furniture, flooring, and lights from them. However, we don’t like DirectBuy right now. They've taken out all the stores. At least before, the one DirectBuy that we had before it got closed had a huge amount of inventory there, so we could see the flooring, and it was a great help. It was awesome. Then we had to go to another one which was an absolutely horrible one, and then it also closed. Now, we're at our third one and it just closed too. And they weren’t even close by. We still have to drive all over the place.

At one point we even ordered wedding invitations through DirectBuy. And we actually got to see the wedding invitation before we ordered 200 wedding invitations. The girl said they were gonna send us a sample and showed us what it was gonna look like. So, we had one sample that they made up for us, and then, we sent it. It was perfect. The girl was awesome because we used to do it with Leanne for 10 years. I would just phone her and say I was looking for this. She would say okay and when I would get there, she'd show me. She'd make sure they've got it all put aside. There was more help, where now, it's a little bit different.

So, now, the reason I don’t like it is because when I look at flooring on the internet, how can I tell what it looks like? So, I have to go running around. I have to phone stores and ask if they sell this kind of floor or color. So, it's a little bit awkward. If I'm going to go all online and catalog-shopping, to me, paying what I do for a membership is crazy ‘cause I'm doing it all myself.

I also find their website horrible. I was on it last night. I was looking for Napoleon Fireplaces. I put in “fireplaces” and then, it said there isn’t anything in that name. So then, I put in “Napoleon” and I got one Napoleon fireplace which came from one of their catalogs and the rest was furniture that had names with Napoleon in it. Also, when I was looking for a certain name brand of furniture, if it's Hooker, I could put Hooker in, and I might not have it on their website, but when I phoned and asked if I could get that, they said yes.

One time, I had an order and it was supposed to come in and it was white, and I told the girl the numbers and everything else. She ordered it, I got it, she had written in the order form that it was seashell white. But when I got it, it was gray because the number didn’t correspond with what she wrote. I didn’t know the number because it wasn’t on their site. So, it's still better to deal in person if we can.

I am a firm believer in DirectBuy. So, I'm still here. I would probably keep my membership because I will probably do another move again and nothing ever fits the same, but DirectBuy is just sometimes a bit of a pain. The other day with my husband, he asked why are we even bothering. We might as well just pay the extra 500 bucks and just go get it because I'm running around like crazy trying to research it and I couldn't. I would recommend DirectBuy to a friend as far as the price, but I don't know if I would recommend to a friend the way it's gone because brick and mortars cost money. But for some people, we need that one-on-one service rather than talking on the phone.

DirectBuy response

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experience with DirectBuy. Our company values put member satisfaction as top priority and we are committed to making sure that our services reflect that principle. It is only through feedback such as yours that we can maintain, and where necessary, improve our services that we provide to our valued members. Thank you again for your response, and we look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We've been with DirectBuy for about 10 years, and we’ve used it all those years to furnish houses, apartments or condos, as well as to replace furniture and appliances. Originally, we liked the prices that we could get and It worked out for us. It was a good value and we’re still using it. As far as the online site, it’s fairly easy to navigate but you don’t have that person who can really help you with specific things. It was nice having a place to go where we had people who would help us find the specific things that we were looking for. They had samples of floorings, furniture and coverings, and they would show us the samples. Also, we’ve had a very long wait sometimes on some specific things. There was a six months wait time to get some stuff that we ordered. That would be the only downside if you want something right away and you need it right away.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I contacted Direct Buy with an inquiry about a specific brand furniture that was not included on the website. Jenifer ** responded very timely stating she would look into my inquiry. Today I received another update from Jenifer ** that she was still researching my inquiry. I really appreciate the follow up and Jenifer's contacting me with a status update.

DirectBuy response

Thank you so much for your kind words, Jan. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us—and we agree, Jenifer is truly an asset to have on our team! We are extremely fortunate to have members like you. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

A friend of ours mentioned that they joined DirectBuy so we looked into it, too. We were building a house at that time and the allure of the kitchen cabinets seemed to be an easy way to capture back our original investment of signing up. We eventually signed up and we’ve been a DirectBuy member for about 13 years now. We've spent quite a bit of money purchasing various items for our first house. We are building another house and we purchased appliances, some higher-end furniture, and lighting from them. If we think that we’re going to be purchasing something a little higher end, we’ll go to the DirectBuy site and see if there are any opportunities there to save money.

When we first got signed up, the purchasing experience was okay. It was different and we had a very limited experience with the actual products. We would look at various things and binders full of information on products. Then, there would be a store close by that we could look at it, but sometimes, we would just buy on the simple fact that it was a good quality name and assumed that it would come in and be that good of a quality. Now, it’s a little different experience and it is not the greatest because it essentially turned into an online purchasing experience, which is okay. We still can save money, but, in the end, we still sometimes are limited by what the product really looks like, feels like, tastes like, and all that stuff. Now that the offices have all shut down in a few key areas in Ontario, we are dealing with people on the phone. They are helpful on some degree, but we don’t have the hands-on feel.

The quality of the products we've received so far is great. They are all name-brands. We recently bought a pile of appliances and they were all higher-end KitchenAid products. They are supposed to arrive in the next couple of weeks and we will install them in our new house. Hopefully, we will have a problem-free operation for the next 10 or 15 years. I would still recommend DirectBuy to someone especially if they are making some major purchases. You have to recoup your initial investment into getting signed up, but, overall, if you’ve got a large purchase to make and you wanna get a good product at a great value, DirectBuy is still a good place to go.

DirectBuy should keep expanding the number of lines that they carry. We tried to look into purchasing gas fireplaces, but they were really not that competitive versus buying from a local person. Also, they would have to keep expanding their higher-end lines and make the people aware when they send out their quarterly magazines to make sure that the newer products are in there and that they are advertised, so we know about them.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I liked the availability of the merchandise at DirectBuy that wasn’t available elsewhere all in one location. However, it annoyed me that when we joined, we paid a fairly hefty fee. We paid $6,000 to become a member. When I was in there two weeks ago, they told me that there’s just a monthly fee now which is what we’ve been paying. We’ve been members for almost 10 years now and we got things from office furniture to appliances like TVs. Our overall purchasing experience has been good and the products that we’ve received have been excellent. Some of the handling fees were a little extraordinary but the product cost was good.

Things have changed a little at DirectBuy though. We haven’t bought anything in about a year and when we went back in, I noticed it was a little desolate in the showroom which wasn’t before. There are only six DirectBuy showrooms in North America now which causes me concerns. They are gonna switch everything to being online which I’m not too happy with. I still like to have some kind of personal touch. Also, the communication hasn’t been that great this time compared to previous times. As an example, we ordered a Tempur-Pedic mattress base and pillows and I have to get a home delivery because I can’t go pick that up. I got a phone call saying it’s at the warehouse with the trucking firm. So, I arranged to have home delivery but I had to pay DirectBuy first before I could do the home delivery.

Previously, I went to the location in Toronto North and we paid for the home delivery on the spot and then they delivered the item the same day. Now, it has been a week and we finally arranged the delivery for next week but I’m very apprehensive. DirectBuy should have told me when I bought the mattress that I should have designated a home delivery and paid for it at that time. That should have been disclosed to me upfront and it would have saved me a lot of running around. If you have time to shop on your own, shop for yourself elsewhere. You still have to do a lot on your own with DirectBuy.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I’ve been with DirectBuy for a number of years and I've purchased so much there with my membership. We got a kitchen dining table set and tile floors. I also bought hardwood floors and got tremendous value with that purchase. Then we just got a bedroom set and it has come, even though it had not been a couple of weeks since we made that order. Our purchasing experience with them has been very good. The quality of their products is excellent and the cost is good. DirectBuy has been a lifesaver for me because I've been saving money. I have compared their costs to those of other places and they beat the prices that I’ve seen.

They used to have a showroom in Chesterfield but everything is online purchasing now. The merchandise is good, but I don’t like it. I prefer the showroom because when I went there, they had so much more to offer for less and they had catalogs that I went through. The online catalog is hard for us because we can’t really see, touch or feel it. I wish they would go back to the showroom there. Nevertheless, our experience with DirectBuy was great. I have recommended them highly and I've told people about our experience with them, especially with our floors. We got the expensive floor for the price of a cheaper floor.

DirectBuy response

Great feedback, Joe! We genuinely appreciate it and we're glad to hear that you're happy with your DirectBuy membership.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

We went to a DirectBuy presentation and ended up joining them. Our house got hit by lightning in 2007 which took out my stereo, so I went to find a stereo and I was able to get it at DirectBuy for almost half the cost. Also, we’ve had our kitchen totally redone and we bought cabinets, granite countertops and all of our appliances through DirectBuy. We've also bought curtains, trim covering and paint. I get 30% off of anything at Sherwin-Williams. I also purchased through DirectBuy several couches and all my garage doors.

When they had the stores, they had these huge catalogs and they had products there I could look at. They had people there to help us order, and they also had kitchen demos. But now, it’s all online so it’s not as convenient. But the quality is high because I am basically buying from high-end manufacturers but directly through DirectBuy. So, I’m paying the same price that I would pay somewhere else for a medium or lower-end product. We got our money’s worth with DirectBuy.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

DirectBuy's prices were low and during the time I signed up for membership they had a showroom, which was good. We built a house, so I'm in the process of putting all the furniture right now. I recently got two chandeliers and three pendant lights from DirectBuy. I also got some other bedroom furniture from them. I'll find the product somewhere and and I'll check to see if DirectBuy has it, and then I'll purchase it online or through the concierge service. As long as the product is there, it's easy. If I don’t see the product, I would email the concierge or some support shopping and see if they have it.

The products I got from them are of good quality. But sometimes I wish they had more high-end stuff like for the appliances because I was looking to get a refrigerator. Other than that, DirectBuy has helped me save a lot of money and I really appreciate it. I would recommend them if a friend is planning on making a good number of purchases, but if they're not and they don’t plan on it within a year, then I don’t know if it would be the right system for them.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I've been a member of DirectBuy for about 10 years and I got them for the discounts on products like their furniture. We also just bought six appliances. Sometimes I order them online and then sometimes I look for them online and call the concierge once I found them. Sometimes I have to do that because I have a membership here in Michigan but I also live six months in Florida in the winter so sometimes I order stuff and have things delivered down there.

I pay yearly membership maintenance fees that isn't cheap and then when I order something, they end up charging me another fee for handling the transaction too. They had a lot of fees on top of fees. Their annual fee had even went up. So it kind of eats up the discount that I'm supposed to be getting when I bought the product. But they have great products.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

When we were gonna remodel our kitchen, we started looking around and we saw the advertisement for DirectBuy. So we went in and they had a classroom where they showed us lots of products. Then they showed us the showroom and the difference between the prices. We were already two months into looking at various things and prices, so we saw the big difference and we joined. We liked the savings on the products that we were getting. We also did the laundry room and one bathroom. Plus, we remodeled the entire back bathroom. We did the carpeting twice now throughout the house, too. And for these projects, we had no problem purchasing stuff from DirectBuy.

Originally, we had the showroom here and there was no problem going in there. But since they moved away, it made things a little harder. But we researched what we were looking for, then we called DirectBuy and gave them the information. Then they went out to their vendor and came up with the product for us. Still, we miss the showroom. Other than that, I like every one of the products we got from them and I’m pleased with their cost, overall. With the time that we had, we saved quite a bit of money and with DirectBuy, the initial investment is made up with your first purchase.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I've been a member since 1975 and never had to go through all the steps to find the lowest price. Sure liked it better when you knew what the manufacturer's price was and you paid 10% plus shipping and tax. Always beat everyone on price.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

We've been with DirectBuy for over 10 years through my sister-in-law and we were saving money by going through them. We bought furniture, building supplies, roof and door changes from them. Our purchasing experience has been great and we've done it a few times online, but most of the time, we go to the store. I prefer going to the store and we were impressed with the service that we get when we go there. The quality of the products that we got is also very good. However, it's very expensive to get a membership now compared to when we got it 10 years ago. But if people are building a house or doing a major renovation, it's worth a while of going through DirectBuy.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

First we were told our order was discontinued and we had to look for a new set. After weeks of looking we found something we like and could live with. When we went to order it we were than told our original order was available and was on its way to us. Once the order arrived the boxed were moldy, and ripped and the tape did not even stick. When opening them we found mouse poop and peep all over the product.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Jason. We apologize for your recent purchase experience and would like to assist you. Someone from our Escalations team will be following up shortly to assist you with a resolution.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Order was delayed a month past the longest estimate for shipping. Called several times and were given a delivery date both times (which when then had made plans to pick up on) but both dates came and went. On third call the person was very helpful and let us know there was a shortage of drivers to make the deliveries. If this info was given sooner or if anyone had contacted us this would have gone a long way. Had much better service when there was a local club. Pick up was good at the depot but I continue to get emails a month later as to when I will pick it up.

DirectBuy response

Hello Mike, we sincerely apologize about your experience with your DirectBuy membership. We appreciate your feedback and would like to make things right. Someone from our Escalations team will be contacting you within 24 hours to help assist with your resolution.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

When I went to DirectBuy to talk to the people about what the membership was all about, they looked up the same couch that I had just bought. And they were able to help me realize what I could have saved. I absolutely joined right then and there. We were in the process of furnishing a few homes. We furnished a home down in Florida. A couple of our daughters also had homes that we were trying to help furnish.

I've been a DirectBuy member for about 15 years now. But in the beginning, making purchases was a little tough because you had to go to the store and look up everything that you were wanting. But at least you had some people there helping you while you were doing that. Then once the items came in, you had to go back to the store, have them unpack it in front of you, check everything and then get it home. Those were sometimes challenging. We were on our way home once and the one of my daughter's chairs was not secured in the pickup truck as well as it could have been. And we lost one of them on the road. It got rather scarred up and broken. She still has it but it’s not perfect now.

I always liked being able to go in, touch fabrics and look at different catalogues. It’s a little bit easier when it’s right there in front of you as opposed to looking it up online. But they definitely turned it around to where it’s more user-friendly. You can look at things up from their website and it's become a lot easier to manage when you're trying to get a whole bunch of things. You can also take a picture if you’re at a furniture store and ask DirectBuy, “Can you find this for me and send it to somebody there at the main office?” That's great. You can also have the furniture delivered directly to your home.

On the other hand, there were some purchases that we’ve made over the last couple of years that we did not purchase through DirectBuy although we could have. One of them was a hot tub. I didn’t feel that that was as much of a savings compared to going ahead, paying the extra percentage and having the ability to utilize the company that delivered the hot tub for me. With DirectBuy, I wouldn’t have known who to contact if I had issues with it later on. So there are pros and cons to it still.

Right now, we’re in the process of building a bigger new home down in Florida and I’m going to totally furnish it with furniture from DirectBuy as well. My only issue is that I don’t know what I’m gonna do with the furniture when it comes in and where I’m gonna put it until it's time to move into the house. That is about eight months away still. With a furniture store, you can absolutely purchase an item and they would hold it for you until you’re ready for it. This past week, my sister-in-law was bragging on this one furniture store and how they were 40% off. But comparing pricing, what I could get it for was still almost 50% off. So I said DirectBuy is still worth it to me and I don’t care if I have to pay for a delivery fee.

My sister-in-law was saying that the $150 delivery fee was all I gotta pay and it didn’t matter how many times they would get delivered. That’s fine and dandy but when you’re paying close to 50% more than what I was paying to start with, I still see it as a total savings. There’s still a little drawback here and there. But my recommendation for DirectBuy is If they can come up with some ways to have a storage facility for people that might need it like myself. Still, I would absolutely recommend DirectBuy to anyone that’s looking at purchasing large amounts or even smaller amounts of anything for the household.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Way back, I was building a house and thought to myself that there would be something worth looking at through Direct Buy. I became a member and thus far, I've bought everything from building materials, appliances, household goods, furnishings and window coverings. However, the structure of the company has changed throughout the years. Before, we used to go into the club and look through a bunch of catalogs then place an order for what we were looking for. Now, Direct Buy has geared itself for online sales. Still, going into the club was a better experience for me.

Even though Direct Buy claims that all their catalogs are online, they're not. I tend to go into Direct Buy knowing what I want. For times when I've had to go in and find out what the cost of an item is currently, I could make a phone call and get the same result as going online. Additionally, buying tends to be a little easier when I'm interacting face to face than it does when I'm trying to do something over the phone. A lot of people get the membership and then wonder what to do. If the member isn't spending money, then the membership is not of much use to them. Nevertheless, Direct Buy's items are great quality-wise.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Marcia ** helped us with a quote for a fireplace. It's often very difficult ordering off a website when there are so many components and some are required some aren't, some are conditional upon the ordering of others etc. We worked together while I was on the company's website and Marcia used the DB catalogues and together helped me figure out which ones were needed and which ones weren't (ie. if 1 safety screen was ordered a trim wasn't required yet if a different one was ordered a trim was needed). She even called me back a little after my inquiry and provided the name of an installer from a different DB warehouse as I mentioned on the phone I'd need assistance - (I can't install a gas fireplace insert myself!!!).

DirectBuy response

Thank you so much for your kind words, Krista. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us—and we agree, Marcia is truly an asset to have on our team! We are extremely fortunate to have members like you. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

We rebuilt a house and I got a washer and dryer, a fridge, and a stove from DirectBuy. I also bought a bedroom table, a whole set of kitchen cabinets, and windows. The cost was good. We did a research and found out what the products cost in stores, and it was way cheaper through DirectBuy. I had no problems with the quality, and purchasing from them was not too bad. However, I had to plan at least three weeks in advance because they didn’t have anything in stock. It was all ordered. So, what I ordered came at least two weeks later. When I started with DirectBuy, there were lots of stuff but it’s getting limited now. They’re losing a lot of their clients for some reason. Their products are not anywhere near as good as they were 10 years ago. A lot of vendors are disappearing. Still, I'm satisfied with DirectBuy.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your DirectBuy experience. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from members and use it to improve our systems and processes. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I researched Grohe items, as we have a major renovation in our place. There are very few of Grohe items on the DirectBuy website, so I made a list based on information from Grohe US site and called concierge shopping support line. My request was given to Jenifer **, who completed it in the evening of the same day. She provided all information needed. Thank you, Jenifer.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

We have used DirectBuy quite a bit and have gotten several stuff from them this year and last year, too. Our store is two and a half hours from us but what's so much easier nowadays is we don't have to go and to do it online is so much better. The website is good but sometimes it's a little bit of a challenge. When I see something that I like, I put it on my wishlist, come back a week later and it's not available anymore which is a little frustrating. Other than that, the quality is excellent and some of the items give tremendous savings. I usually get excited when they start adding more products but I've learned that I need to shop around to make sure because I'm not gonna save as much as some things that have a larger profit margin.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Denise was amazing. I am unfamiliar with cabinet terminology and what questions to even ask. Denise walked me through and caught things that I would have never thought of. She responded immediately whenever I had any questions and was very patient. I will be doing other cabinets in the future and can only hope she will be the one helping me.

DirectBuy response

Thank you so much for your kind words, Katherine. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us—and we agree, Denise is truly an asset to have on our team! We are extremely fortunate to have members like you. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

We went to the showroom in Massachusetts and we realized that there’s things we would get wholesale and have savings. Now, we've been a DirectBuy member for almost 10 years. We’ve always had it when we furnished two homes with many of their products. For our new home, we bought appliances and bathroom fixtures like tubs. We also got lights. In the second home, we got tubs, showers and fixtures. This year, I've had a two-for-one year, which I was thrilled about.

Purchasing is easy. The only hardship we have is having to come from Maine to Boston to pick it up. That's hard because we have to make time to travel five hours one way. When we first joined, we were told about a showroom in Maine but that never happened. So about five years into it, we got discouraged about that because everything worked through online and magazines. On the other hand, the people there and on the phone are friendly. I ordered something a month ago from an old catalog and a week or so later, I got the news that it was available. I called and it was shipped, and it’s lovely. The products are always high quality and we get the perfect price compared to what we can get retail.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

My sister was a member of DirectBuy years back so when I was purchasing my first home and I needed a lot of stuff I applied for membership with them. I have now been with DirectBuy for 14 years. I bought everything like floors, tiles, cabinet trays and sinks, and the quality has been very good. With DirectBuy you can get better deals on higher end stuff. I wouldn’t have bought certain appliances if I wouldn’t have gotten the price. You can get higher stuff for better quality.

DirectBuy response

Pascal, we're delighted to read your feedback about DirectBuy! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the best shopping experience to all of our members.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I’ve been a member of DirectBuy since 2005 when I built a new house and I needed flooring, appliances and furniture. I’m a real estate agent so I’ve been using the membership for staging such as glass painting. Also, I’m renovating a rental unit that I have right now. The quality is good and I have always been happy with DirectBuy. I got good help and they answered all my questions but it’s a shame that I kept asking their head office and it took a long time for them to get back. I like that I can go into my local showroom here and get the answers in the one-on-one customer service face-to-face a lot quicker. I use DirectBuy all the time and I’m always there. It’s a shame that they downsized their showroom here and I find that a bit irritating. It’s harder to get stuff done, but the customer concierge shopping has also been very good. I’d like to see their website with their products updated more.

People don’t use DirectBuy because the process on how you use it and the best way to use it is not quite clear. There are a lot of people who would try it and they don’t get how they have to shop and do it, and then they put bad reviews. However, it’s been an excellent experience and I’ve sent so many people to DirectBuy, it’s unbelievable. I kinda bought all my furniture from DirectBuy. I have a kitchen and all my pots and pans are from them as well as all my lights. All my dishes are Sophie Conran and my pots and pans, everything. I have agents people buying or renovating houses come over and see everything that they can get.

DirectBuy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for.

• Selection: Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Prices: Factory-direct discount prices. Initial membership fee can be put toward the first purchase.

• Guarantee: 30-day money-back guarantee on memberships.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs