Get a Free Quote
  3. Furniture Stores
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.43/5

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Gallery (4)
View More View More

DirectBuy Reviews

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

We’ve been a DirectBuy member for about 12 years. We bought a house and we remodeled it with two brand-new bathrooms, and then, we built a house, still owning the previous house. We thought we could save a lot of money with these bathrooms. We could get high-quality materials and not pay high-quality prices. The quality of the products we've received from DirectBuy is outstanding.

We’ve not been so pleased lately because they got rid of all their showrooms. We like to see and touch and get a better feel for things we’re doing. And now, we’re kinda stuck doing that on the internet. And I don’t think they have all the products that they offer on the internet because that would just be a Herculean task. Another thing is the manufacturers that they represent, some of them stay for the long-haul, but a lot of them, you buy one you really like, and then, you check back with them a year later, and they don’t offer that manufacturer anymore. And that can be a little frustrating.

We recently bought a bed and a frame for another house we bought in Florida. We were told that the delivery of both of them would be four to six weeks. So, they have a tendency, which is a good practice, to under-commit and over-deliver. I think it is a good thing. But the problem is, in this case, we really expected the frame to come before the bed. The bed came before the frame, and the bed had white glove delivery. So, we really couldn’t have a delivery until the frame got there. And we kinda got a nasty letter from DirectBuy saying, “Hey, the company has been holding onto this mattress for a month, and they need to deliver it.”

We ordered the frame a week before we ordered the bed. And it was a little frustrating because we were waiting and waiting for the frame. I could’ve bought the frame on Amazon and had it there in two days. But I decided to buy it from DirectBuy instead, which probably was a mistake. Another thing that was interesting was it was cheaper on Amazon than DirectBuy, which was kind of a rare occurrence. I give DirectBuy credit because they did credit me the difference, which was nice. I didn’t expect that.

There's one thing that really frustrates me. When we first joined, they took American Express for the membership fee. And then, they stopped taking American Express and they only took Visa. Then, a couple years ago, they started taking American Express again, which I was thrilled with. But a couple of months ago, before we made this purchase with the mattress and the box springs, they stopped taking it, and it’s frustrating. I really like to use American Express wherever possible because we get points, and we travel a lot, and we use these points for traveling.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

It's going pretty well with DirectBuy, where we bought most of our stuff for a bathroom remodel we're doing right now. But the cabinets we ordered from them are a little bit delayed. I was given a name of a person that I needed to work with and I did contact him at the beginning of September and gave him all of my information, what we were looking for and a picture of exactly what we wanted. He responded back quickly as far as giving us dimensions for everything. By the time we went back and forth and delays, we didn't submit the order until September 24th. It was kind of surprising because we pretty much had everything wrapped up within a week from when I first emailed him, which was September 4th. So I would've expected the order be submitted much sooner. We had told him that we were planning on starting the project early to mid-October at the latest and really wanted everything in the house.

We still haven't heard anything so I emailed him last week and asked if we could have an update on our cabinetry and I have not heard anything back. Our remodeling is actually a little delayed which is why I'm not too concerned about the cabinetry. So we got time yet. Also, it's harder to purchase from Directbuy than it used to be 'cause we used to be able to go to the location, look through books and talk to people. We did our kitchen through DirectBuy four years ago almost, and there was a woman that we sat down with, and we went through all the cabinetry and all of her recommendations and drawings. It was so much simpler because we could actually talk with somebody physically right there and go through the project.

Now, we've done two projects since, and it has been more on us doing all the legwork of going out to different places to check things out and to do all of our searches for numbers and part numbers. But over than those, everything else was beautiful with Directbuy. There was one woman that I emailed back and forth with on our Kohler order and Delta. And she was so quick. We would email all the stuff that we were wanting to purchase and things we couldn't find on the website. She emailed us back within a day and said she would get those prices for us then she sent us a spreadsheet with everything and it was amazing.

We have been a member since 2002 and we always recommended Directbuy on a caveat. I recommend it to a brand-new homeowner who doesn't have any insurance or people who are looking to completely refinish their house or who are at that stage where they've had everything for 20 years and are looking to refinish things, redo things, get new furniture. If you're not at either of those stages, it's usually not worth the money.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I liked it when DirectBuy had this showroom in Winnipeg, and I could go and take a look at some things and sit with the catalogs. I tend to like catalogs much better than going on the computer. I’m almost 70 years old, so books are better than e-readers, and having someone to consult with and talk to. They also used to have a lot of samples and things that you could look at because the color on the computer screen can look quite different than what you actually get.

We haven’t used DirectBuy as much as we intended. We bought various pieces of furniture. When I was executor in a particular case, I did use it to fix up a house that was looking after. But right now, I have three feral cats that live in the house with me, and I don't want workmen coming in and out of the house because they're not gonna watch them. My mother is in Charleswood Care Centre in Winnipeg, so as long as she’s alive, we’re not gonna do anything with the house until she’s gone. And then, we will make more use of DirectBuy. Another thing is that it’s hard to work out of like a bar fridge downstairs. And it takes about eight week for delivery for a lot of things. So instead of going through DirectBuy, we just went to Home Depot and bought a fridge and had it delivered a couple of days later.

I do like that the quality of things from DirectBuy have been good. When something has been damaged or not quite what we wanted, they’ve been very good about taking it back and replacing it, and getting things fixed. The staff has always been very good when I’ve talked to them. We continue to pay the membership. At first, we paid $5000 years ago. And then, we had to pay a smaller amount now. We’re paying around $300 a year for it. We don't always get our value every year, but when I did have to fix up the house for resale, that I was executor of, then there was more purchases that year.

When my nephew got married, I wanted to give them a wedding gift to help them set up their home. And the guy at Winnipeg that was running the store was great. I went in and told him that my purchases were not for myself and they were gifts. He gave me a bunch of fabrics, swatches, and told me that I could take them home and let the kids look at them. And I appreciated that. I'm happy enough to continue renewing membership and I would recommend DirectBuy to people.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I re-signed up with DirectBuy ‘cause I'm redoing my bathroom. Back in 2010 when I first became a member, I was remodeling my house and it sounded like a good idea if I could save a dollar here or there by buying direct. So, I attended a little seminar and was hooked from that point on. Purchasing from DirectBuy is great considering that I can't go into a physical store and touch the item which I used to be able to do years ago. Here in the greater Phoenix area, there's only one store available and they have a very sparse selection of stuff, but there are people that are more than happy to help you.

DirectBuy had stores and some stores had more plumbing than the other store or this or that or they tell could you, “They sell those furniture at this furniture place. Go look at it and then come back.” I kinda missed that ‘cause I kinda like being able to kick the tires before I buy something. This time around, I bought everything on the internet. I used the concierge once, and both the internet and the concierge were very easy, user-friendly and very helpful. The concierge was great. There were two separate ladies that helped me. They were extremely helpful and went out of their way. I've been very pleased and it's a nice option to be able to have that available once.

The items are all high quality and that’s kind of what I'm looking for. If we're gonna spend the money, I want something that’s gonna last and I haven't been disappointed yet. Also, I received my shipment earlier than expected on one thing. I'm waiting for the tub that's supposed to be coming in from Georgia. It's still within the time period when it said it should be shipping out but my bathroom remodel is going a little faster than I had anticipated. But at least on my plumbing, everything else that I had ordered has already come in so that’s great.

Before, the merchandise needs to be delivered to the store. They would check it to make sure that it wasn’t damaged then they would call you to come pick it up. But now, it comes directly to you. So, I was a little nervous ‘cause I gotta check everything just to make sure it's not damaged. I ordered plumbing fixtures and stuff and the delivery person was gone before I even realized that the plumbing stuff was out at the front. They rang the doorbell and by the time I got out there, they were gone. But there wasn’t an issue and everything was well-packed.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I've been a DirectBuy member for over 20 years. I was a member when they first started and that thing was down in Delaware. But the renewal price sometimes gets a little ridiculous. They dropped it to $69 but now, it's going back up again. When I got in, I spent almost $3,000 to join this thing. To buy for that type of price and the discounts you get are good. But they constantly make money off the purchase that I buy all through the time I shop and yet, my membership fee is so high, for being in as long as I was. They've sent me another referral to join but I didn't even look at it because I haven't been buying as much stuff lately.

Most of the stuff I've purchased and done are furniture and home repairs. But I didn't get some of the stuff from DirectBuy because they were taking too long to give it to me. The shipment costs get you as well. When I was living in Delaware, I was beating the taxes but the shipment cost was really high. This year, I bought furniture and my bed. I like to buy my stuff early when I see sales and I mostly get furniture stuff from them because my supplies and tile would be more beneficial for me because I'm local, considering the weight. The one bad experience I had was when I ordered one of those recliner beds and I got the wrong bed.

I never had a problem with the people in the concierge though. I like the internet when purchasing but sometimes, it's best to go there. They can work it better. When we try to compare prices and look at different items, that has still been a little difficult. You gotta have some of the numbers to actually identify the stuff but sometimes, they know the names so I usually have better deal going through them. Back when DirectBuy first started, this is what I used to love about them. They used to have sample stuff that they will buy to show you and then they will let you buy that stuff sometimes. But now, there's no warehouse to go to. I used to come pick the stuff up myself. Now, you can't even go do that. They have to ship it to a place.

I also don't like the different type of people that took over on it but I don't get any consideration for that. They also have this travel thing involved now and we had a little misunderstanding when I first joined. The rep was telling me one thing and we had a few differences of opinion. We were at the airport and they couldn't match the stuff. We cancelled it and I had a problem getting my money back for a little while. But overall, I like the program. Despite the little personal things or issues I had, it's still a gem overall because it was revolutionized from what I've seen. I have some misunderstandings but most of the stuff were adjusted or corrected as well. There were a few things I didn't like. But there are some perks about keeping things exclusive too. I've been satisfied with all my furnitures and purchases from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Website inquiry and Samsung Washer/Dryer. Karen ** was so patient and informative. Directed me to the proper place on site and re-educated me on vendors and filtering on the site. She’s just lovely. A real professional.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I contacted DB regarding a price difference between the couch on your website and when you sent me an email about an item sitting in my cart. The item (couch) pricing on the website was over $150 more than the price of that identical same item that was sent to me in a email. Hope that explains briefly my issue. So when I contacted DB, I was greeted by Amy. Nice enough consumer care rep but she could not explain to me why the price difference.

Long story short, I am now waiting on your conceirge dept to get back to me on an item that I wish to get pricing on. Amy also explained that the app that scans the item and send the info back to DB is not working properly. Not very surprised by that. So as of Jan 10/2020. I have been awaiting someone from DB to look into pricing for an item that I saw at a furniture store. Again, not surprised that I am still waiting and no one has contacted me. I again, will have to contact you (schedule time) to see if someone can assist me.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I called in because the payment link had expired for my quote. I was transferred to Barbara ** who was able to confirm my order and was able to process my payment. She was very pleasant, knowledgeable and professional. A pleasure to deal with.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I am in the process of getting a finished basement certified as an official bedroom so I needed a fire egress window and an installer; as well information on mortgaging finance options. Barbara ** provided the required information in a timely and very pleasant manner.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I had sworn off Direct Buy because of the lack of Customer Service, but I gave you another go, and I'm so glad I did! Carla O was great. She's been super responsive and kept me abreast of my order status without having to ask. Really appreciate the changes I'm seeing -- thank you, Carla!

DirectBuy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for.

• Selection: Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Prices: Factory-direct discount prices. Initial membership fee can be put toward the first purchase.

• Guarantee: 30-day money-back guarantee on memberships.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team