DirectBuy

84%

Compare Furniture Stores

Research top Furniture Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

9133people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with DirectBuy:

Login to record a Video Review

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I joined DirectBuy to get home improvement products cheaper. Here's the deal though, if you are bargain hunter, you know how to shop sales, wait for things to go on sale, check the clearance section of stores and are willing to compromise certain things for a cheaper price. DirectBuy is not meant for that type of shopper. They are meant for the shopper that says, "I want this Rowe Furniture couch, no matter what it costs". If you are THAT shopper, then great....DB may be for you. If you know how to really shop for a deal and expect DB to help with that, forget it. DB is for high-end stuff. I bought a washer that was $400 cheaper than I could get it at Home Depot, but it was top of the line. If you want bottom of the line stuff, or even mid-grade, you are better going to the other retailers. Also, their online shopping sucks and they closed the location near me. So, I need carpet and have no idea how I'm going to figure out how to buy it thru DB to get it cheaper.

I wish my husband and I had read these reviews and relevant information about DirectBuy before we attended their "seminar" in May 2013. My husband saw some DirectBuy ads on tv. Long ago there had been a showroom in Des Moines. We never paid much attention to it. We didn't know anyone who had fallen victim to their sales pitch. We were getting ready to do a huge remodel on our home so decided to attend a seminar in Lenexa, KS, not far from our daughter's home. We were curious about what DirectBuy is and hoping it might save us money in our remodel project.

I can not believe we fell victim to this scam. We are very careful with our money. I have no idea why we handed over $4,000 to join. The gentleman was so smooth. If we walked out the door, the price would go up to $5,000, "you are 'saving' a thousand dollars if you just sign here." We looked around the showroom and saw cabinets, garage door openers, doors, etc. All things we would be purchasing. Posted were all testimonials of how much people were saving with DB. So, we fell victim and signed. We got in our truck, looked at each other, and said, "What the heck did we just do?" And, we didn't have the 3-day reconsider rule as KS does not have that. I can see why DB left Iowa as it enacted that rule. DB doesn't want to be in a state which has that. People would walk out the door and promptly cancel. We would have. I can't believe we were so gullible.

In trying to navigate the DB method of buying things, we discovered most is done through email. We did drive to KS (3 1/2 hour drive) several times to get help with trying to navigate the "system." It became clear, we were pretty much on our own. We purchased a washer and dryer which ended up saving us a couple hundred dollars. (Wow on our way to making $4000 worth it?) When it came to most of the items for our remodel, we purchased locally from big box stores. It was easier as some of the items we would have had to drive to KS, no shipping to home available. We did purchase our cabinets from DB. We did not have to pay extra to deal with the cabinet lady. She proved to be a valuable resource as she knew her stuff. We did save a little by going through DB. We like the cabinets so far -- only been in a couple months.

I ordered a barn/farm sink on Feb. 23, 2016. It did not arrive until the middle of April. I made several calls to DB in KS. I became the person I do not like to be, but I needed to get the sink. The delay in delivery caused over a month's delay in completing my kitchen. I was so frustrated. Supposedly, it was delivered to the moving company in DM, but they said they didn't have it. I wanted to cancel the order and get it somewhere else. Well, that was not a possibility. So, I had to wait for them to order me another one. I ordered my fridge, microwave, dishwasher, and stove through DB. I did save some when comparing to big box stores. But, again, I will never save $4,000.

On the stove and fridge, I paid $20.00 each for "white glove" delivery. That was a joke. The men who delivered the fridge didn't know how to get the doors off the fridge to get it into the house and put it in place per the description of "white glove" delivery. They said we could get our money back. From whom??? The movers did put my stove in place after chipping some of my woodwork. So much for ever using that again. Don't even try that.

Also, on two of the appliances, I was charged $100 and $45 for "club handling" fees. What, $4000 isn't enough? Now, I get a letter, email, and voice message the showroom in KS is closing. You have got to be kidding me. But, DB will have the same quality of service through their "Concierge Shopping." We will see how that works out. I hope nothing goes wrong with our cabinets. I am not sure where I will start if something does happen. I felt fairly secure in knowing the cabinet lady was on speed dial, but she won't be available for me anymore. So, my message is don't buy in to DB. You will never save that much money. I still kick myself for having signed. I could have done so much more with that $4,000.

DirectBuy - would never ever do business with them again. In the Seattle area they had 3 locations when we were members, now they have none, as of Fall 2015. The annual renewal was $199/year. I got a bill for $399 for this year, 2016, a 100% increase after they closed all Seattle area locations. There were a few good deals now most of the items at DirectBuy you can get online or on sale cheaper. Their customer service has always been ok to not very good at all. All they want is the initial purchase sign up fee and you're on your own.

The overall experience in ordering a desk for our new home has be very poor from the beginning and is still awaiting full resolution. To begin the delivery date for our product pushed out by over four weeks from the original promise date however the online tracking system did not reflect the changes. In fact it showed the order as cancelled after the original delivery date had come and gone. When the product was delivered it was to be unloaded and assembled by the delivery company. However, the product was damaged and they did not have the tools to assemble the product. When my wife tried to refuse the delivery due to the damage they would not remove the product from our house. She noted the damage on the delivery receipt and immediately took pictures not only of the damage but also of the way the delivery team left the product in our house.

All of the pictures and correspondence was sent to the DirectBuy staff within 24 hrs of the delivery occurring and asked them for resolution. Initially they stated that they were going to replace the damaged sections, three in total, and that they would be shipped to us. Unfortunately when the replacements arrived there was only one section replaced and the most heavily damaged sections were left. Upon contacting DirectBuy they have stated that they replace the one out of courtesy and that if I wanted the others replaced I would need to purchase the new sections. Having been a paying member of this group for over ten years I can definitely say that that has been a tremendous waste of money and I would not recommend DirectBuy to anyone.

Customer service was significantly lacking. After completing order on 3/11, we were contacted on 3/14 to tell us the bed frame was no longer available but we could change to regular king. After confirming to do so, we were told they would 'try' to make sure the mattress order was updated as well. When attempting to get updates as to where our furniture order was, the website offered no assistance, so we attempted to contact Chelsea who refused to call us back after multiple requests to do so. We finally received an update via email that it should arrive on 4/1. When we received no communication by 4/6, we called only to find out that only half of our order had arrived and that the rest should arrive by the next week. Again, received no proactive communication and had to chase it down ourselves.

Finally got a call on 4/8 that our furniture had arrived but that one of the pieces was damaged. Had to again call Chelsea multiple times without a return call until eventually we spoke with her manager who assured us that our final piece would be delivered as soon as possible. Finally received an email from Chelsea telling us that our piece would arrive by 5/2. This is 8 weeks which is outside of the 4-6 weeks 'max' delivery time and we have received no compensation to date for this horrible experience. However, EVERY single delivery person has been amazing!!! THEY know customer service... DirectBuy does not.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

This is three years and the amount on the so-called membership contract has been paid off three months before its expiration. We were told that out of $3811.96 we could only utilize $2862.00 after the entire amount had been paid and the difference of $844.96 or so-called finance charge would be the club fee. At least that is what we're told by DirectBuy agent whose card I still have. True, we bought a pair of shoes online which we paid for out of pocket but the shoes turned out to be of very poor quality. The leather inside had a rough finish and hurt so much.

Now that we want to use the money, they first gave me the runaround and then told me that the entire amount paid to them was a three-year membership fee and that if I wanted to buy anything, I have to pay for it out of pocket. The agent had told us something different and we trusted her; however, we later found a disclaimer that read that any verbal representation not written on the contract would not be honored. I give them credit for being a genius in shortchanging so many people but I wish there could be a way to warn people to beware of this unfortunate snare.

Now I have to tough it up and explain to my wife that I was stupid for once. Check out club membership at Walmart, Sam's and Costco. Each day, each month, every year you see the benefit of the relationship. Not so DirectBuy! They take your money for three years and then turn around to remind you that you were another one of their losers. I wish aggrieved members can band together and find a way to get some of their money back.

Buyer beware. We purchased our membership three years ago in Illinois. We were told that a DirectBuy location was being built in Wisconsin closer to our home. This never happened. I called and spoke to the manager several times pleading to let us out of our membership. We were denied. 3,600.00 including interest I spent on this membership and never once used it. Don't get me wrong, I did attempt to make purchases but the product was either out of stock or the savings weren't as expected. DirectBuy and everything they represent is fraudulent.

We recently ordered and received six teak rocking chairs via ordering through DirectBuy. We were quoted a 6 week lead time but received the rockers in 3! They are beautiful, very comfortable, solid teak and of high quality. The Lenexa staff were very kind and helpful throughout the whole process.

One of the WORST money decisions I've made! It sounds good, but it's for very high end products. Then if the price is good, they get you with the shipping cost. For example I was looking for a Jacuzzi tub. Found one exact same as Lowe's. You know DirectBuy beat all prices. Well it was exact, except the product # and name. This is how they get around comparison shopping. I'm so disappointed in myself, but it a lesson learned. If this review helps one person from wasting their money. I'll feel vindicated.

We joined 25 yrs ago back in Detroit, MI. Moved to MO, FL, and GA continuing our membership. During the past two decades, and up until the recent shift of DirectBuy's business model, we saved over $130k. We purchased everything from flooring, high-end furniture, gifts, dishes, toys, bikes, kitchen and bathroom cabinets, blinds, granite... on and on... It was an amazing experience of selections, and savings. They didn't have the internet when we first joined. We had to peruse catalogs and samples, but it was all worth it.

The new focus is to go online, and shutdown all the Brick and Mortar Clubs. BIG MISTAKE! I don't have a knowledgeable customer service rep to assist in my ordering, and now we are dependent on the poorly designed, not state-of-the-art website. It's now so slow and antiquated that I get frustrated every time I shop. I have done pricing requests with already knowing what the pricing should be only to find out the pricing is higher than what had been previously quoted at a local club (now closed). Yes, they have Pricing Integrity, but I don't have time to watch whether or not the price is fair.

I joined for one-stop shopping, high quality products at a price I could afford. I believe DirectBuy's new management will drive the corporation into the ground due to their lack of ability to compete online with better online business experience. I am strongly considering not renewing my membership after 25 yrs due to poor service. I wouldn't recommend joining any longer... what a shame!

One of the worst money choices/purchases I have ever made and I am a grown adult. Please, please be smarter than I was, it IS too good to be true. So I joined DirectBuy in 2015, thinking as everyone wrote it was a great deal. I was so wrong. DirectBuy is more suited for people with a lot of money who want to buy expensive things for maybe a little less. Because everything I looked at, I found for lower on the internet. But if you find the same exact they will meet the price. You will not find the same item because they make sure of that one, especially on the furniture and with shipping it ends up more. Went to Nebraska Furniture Mart to look at dining tables, we found one and I said to my husband, we have not been able to use our DirectBuy, so let's see what we can do.

I found a table that was similar, but with shipping it cost 300 more. Where are my savings, lies, lies and more lies. So the furniture might not work for me, so I thought the vacation package would be great! We had bonus points, which WE COULD NOT USE ALL AT ONCE! What is that, so I have enough bonus points but can only use a certain amount and the rest comes out of my pocket! So I booked a trip on Carnival Cruises with DirectBuy, using their travel agents, thinking somehow I would get my money worth out of this, but oh no. My sister and brother also booked directly through Carnival and got the same price. What a ripoff and waste of money. Sure wish we could get a class action lawsuit going and put these people out of business. Not too sure how they live with their lies.

I am in Florida, the Davie Store, the owner sure made you think he was such a Christian man and for the underdog, to help out families. Too bad for hard working families who get sucked into this hardcore pressure tactic. Please don't be fooled like I was, this is a ripoff, scam, take your money place. Run from them as fast as you can, the rewards they offer are not what they advertise.

My husband, and myself went to a DirectBuy intro. We were to get 2 roundtrip air tickets. We sent the voucher in the next day but didn't hear anything right away. As life goes, we would remember and forget it. We pulled it out a couple of months ago, it had been 6 months since we had received it. We called the company and asked if we could make reservations. We were told, after 2 months of searching for it, that the vouchers were expired when DirectBuy gave them to us. They had never been any good!

We called their, I guess, Corporate Office and were told by Andrea in Customer Relations that there was nothing they could do about it, that the DirectBuy we went through did the promotion. Since they all get paid out of the same basket, you would think they would be terribly sorry and try to make something right. After all, we did our part. I would not use DirectBuy and will encourage people I know not to renew theirs. They do not honor theirs or their employee's word. After all, it was the manager of the DirectBuy in Rocklin, CA that issued them to us.

Five years ago we lived in California & belonged to the Bakersfield Club (90 miles away). High pressure sign today & stupidly we did. Within a year the club closed. Just because the club closed we can't refund any portion of your membership fee, we were told. Fast forward 2 years, we moved to North Carolina with a club 90 miles away. So we visited. Again a few months later that club closed. Shopping online for major purchases without the ability to return the product unless you pay shipping & a restocking fee which is half the cost of the item isn't my idea of a positive shopping experience! That could be avoided by simply by getting to go to a club & see the product. What a waste of money! We did purchase kitchen appliances only because we could go to the local big box store & see the items. Never came close to saving the amount of the membership fee.

After seeing commercials on TV, on 12/12/15 my wife and I signed onto the DirectBuy service to purchase new kitchen cabinets as well as other household items. The cost of membership was $7,601.63. The salesman told us we could buy virtually any household item at or below wholesale costs. He said we would save enough money on our kitchen remodel to pay for our membership. Before we signed the contract, he told us we had 72 hours to cancel. At the conclusion of the conversation, Tony told us we would be getting a membership card in 2 or 3 days and we could then make an appointment to talk with a representative to order what we wanted.

Our membership cards arrive about a week after signing the contract. We called to make an appointment to pick out and order kitchen cabinets, flooring, a drop fan, faucet, etc. The representative told us we would be charged an additional $300.00 to speak with a kitchen designer. I questioned why we would have to pay the additional cost when we had just paid for the membership. She said we could come in the following day and she would give us a ball park figure if we brought in our kitchen cabinet measurements.

We went to the store in Mountain View and spoke with her. She said DirectBuy could not provide cabinets that fit our measurements. They did not have a drop fan that was powerful enough for our stove. They did not have the type of kitchen faucet we needed (although it are available in most hardware stores). They had only two samples of laminate flooring, neither of those were the color, thickness, and texture that we were looking for and the book she showed us did not have the laminate either, although the flooring we wanted is readily available in many flooring stores. They did not have the carpet we were looking for either. After this disappointing experience, we went to our bank to attempt cancelling the credit card purchase of the membership. The bank sent notice to DirectBuy saying that we felt we had been defrauded and demanded a full refund.

On 01/13/16, I received a call from a DirectBuy customer service representative who told us she would help us if we sent our measurements and a list of the items we wanted and she would work up a price list for us. I told her we had been defrauded and were not interested in doing business with DirectBuy. I told her we wanted our money back. She said we had signed a contract and they would not refund our money. I told her that a contract based on fraudulent representations is not a valid contract. She still refused to refund our money. So I told her I would seek a remedy by other legal means. DirectBuy has hundreds of customer complaints. I have filled out a complaint form for the California State Attorney General's consumer affairs. I recommend others who have like complaints make their circumstances known to their respective State Attorney General's Office.

Everything that has came out their mouths have been lies. I cannot wait for this membership to be done with. The people who work for this company must not have a conscience because I could never work for a place knowing how bad your are screwing over your "Members". DirectBuy Pittsburgh says they partner with a local dealership to get you amazing deal on new and used vehicles. Their great deal was 200 off select brand new luxury vehicles. I priced a hotel and flight using their 1000 dollars of travel bucks. When booking through DirectBuy Travel they said they were saving me over 200 dollars compared to normal. I did the same booking through Expedia and Expedia was 300 cheaper than DirectBuy Travel. I could go on and on about how horrible everything associated with this company is. My wish is that this post changes someone's mind and prevents them from becoming a Member of this croc!

I visited the DirectBuy location on Midway in Addison and spoke to the salesperson, Bryan, cell **. Like all of the reviews here, he gave me the hard sales pitch of how much saving there would be. Of course, I was skeptical, but I signed up for the "low price" of $4490. Per their own contract, I cancelled within the required 3 business days. No surprise, they have not credited my credit card. I will get it taken care of, but understand that this is a SCAM of gigantic proportions! I did speak to an actual member, and he confirmed that he saved about $200 on one small product over a 3 year period. Most of the things you can "order" are out of stock, discontinued, or takes several months to receive. Also, notice these locations close and open everywhere around the country. Coincidence? Of course not. IF there is a positive review on this site, it was probably done by a DirectBuy employee. These guys are douchebags. Don't do it!!

Well we went to another business to look for carpet before we went to try and use our Direct Buy membership. We have not looked into the showroom before this but it was very sloppy looking with the carpet samples. They told us that they were waiting on the cabinets. The samples should go on. They did not have many samples for a showroom. They did not have the kind we were looking for. The workers there were not helpful at all. This should not happen if the company really cares at all. Very unprofessional.

Then again, they got our money so why do they need to care what their showroom looks like or how unhelpful the workers are. One said he was mainly for that direct buy travel. We also were told when we signed up a year ago that would be included but it is not. You have to pay a lot more money for that membership. The way you have to do it is too easy for there to be a problem especially when you have to find someone to install everything. We ended up paying more to the other company in order for better customer service and a better feel of how things went. We regret all the time that we every got this membership. I hope this review helps others.

I bought a couch from them, I also bought a 5 year protection plan. I called them to come out to clean my couch. When service person came, he said he couldn't clean it, same person had came before to clean it. This time he said he couldn't and since he couldn't clean it, I would be getting a refund. I sent them a receipt. They told me they couldn't send me a refund because that wasn't the receipt that they were looking for. Now they won't give me my money that I gave them for services that they won't do, they are trying to take my money.

First and foremost... I am Gold member who paid for the complete service upfront! So... the initial approach to lure us in with a cheap tablet and a discount dining card and $500 DirectBuy currency, should've been the warning flare! We didn't take heed because we had a older model house that could use a few upgrades and with DirectBuy's discount it would eventually become a great rental property. So we thought... The wife and I were going back and forth on what to buy first with the $500. I made the final decision while she was out of town one weekend. I went to the storefront, Tulsa, OK (which closed down their business the very next week) and ordered some Ashley furniture (3 pieces with some of my own cash to complete the order). The process was smooth, I was like "This the best thing since sliced cheese." They told me it would take about a month. The warehouse would call me when it came in.

The month came and went. So... I called the warehouse, the guy was like "Yeah... your furniture sitting right here." I was like "Is it possible to get it delivered to me? I am a Funeral Director and my schedule and the warehouse hours conflict." He says, "Great, I'll call you back to set up a delivery time, and your charges." After 3-4 calls with the warehouse manager he tells me DB won't let him deliver the furniture, I should call the HD service. I did, several times. "We will send you a email link for the payment. Once the finances are met, the warehouse will give you a call to set up delivery." Frustrated, I made the payment and kept ALL emails concerning my furniture. 2 weeks after the payment was made... still no furniture.

I've called EVERYONE from customer service (Jackie, Norma, Jan, Mike), to the Home Coordinator, (LaSett, multiple times), Team Leader, (Ken, left 3 voice messages with no return call) and finally, "Corporate" who turns out to be customer service all over again, who has me leave voice messages to the same people I've been leaving messages with in the first place. Now venting my frustrations to whoever is reading this. TRUST ME... DON'T DO IT. $5,000 I can't get back, and I wish I could.

WARNING: I warn anyone tempted to purchase an auto warranty from this company!!! They were so fast to collect the money for my purchase of the warranty. But when time came to pay for repairs it took 1 to 2 weeks and being on the phone (me and my qualified repair shop) on hold numerous times. Hold times in excess of an hour!!! More than once I was disconnected. More than once they were RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL on the phone to me and the repair shop. The repair shop and dealer told me they never had dealt with a more cheap and rude company.

I happen to be a very understanding person and gave them the benefit of the doubt. But after the first time having to deal with them, I can't think anything other than this is their standard customer service. When I asked to speak with a manager about the treatment and lack of coverage, no one was available, more than once! I'm starting to think I was ripped off. They also only cover 50% of the labor on any given repair!! I would never recommend them nor will I ever purchase another warranty from them. What a major disappointment!

Spent two hours on an invitation my husband received after my husband signed up for a drawing for a home improvement project. He thought well if nothing else they are offering us a 100 dollar gift card. The sales pitch sounded awesome but really did not have that kind of money for a membership (5000). It is pretty much sign now or go away. I figured it's probably a good deal if you're going to do a lot of improvements. We are not so we declined. She handed us the so called gift card which you have to log on to some website which we tried to log on and kept saying error so we never could use it. Just frustrating that you spend gas and time and it's like you got slapped in the face. There should be a law against deceitful advertisements. Live and learn. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is!

The funds I have paid into this membership were a complete waste. After sitting through a presentation that guaranteed the best price on just about everything and discussing with the rep the specific items we were looking to purchase, we purchased the membership at almost $5000. We went to the showroom several times and looked through almost all of the books and never found the items that we discussed with the rep prior purchasing the membership. The rep guaranteed us that he would be able to find either the same or very similar items however that never happened. After multiple calls he stopped responding.

We were never able to purchase anything through DirectBuy. My previous complaints to DirectBuy went unanswered but that was expected from a shady company. Now, approximately two years later I receive a letter to renew my membership. I don't think I need to say what they can do with their membership. Don't be fooled by the presentation where they show you great items at great prices.. It's all bull!

I have been a member of DirectBuy for 14 years. I was locked into the $99 renewal until this year and based on the savings it was well worth it. I saved on appliances, furniture, cabinets, carpet, kitchen stuff, lighting and some lawn and garden. Not so much on electronics. The problem is the people that benefit the most are young just starting out, but are least able to afford the 'initiation fee'.

I have read many of the reviews here and must say, they are NOT a scam. Yes, they use high pressure sales tactics that isn't necessary. A significant number of bad reviews stem from wanting to cancel. Yes, the law allows 72 hour to rescind and they do fight you. So does buying a car and just try to do that. It depends on the dealer whether they fight you or allow you to return the car, but very few are successful. Some complaints are from store closings.

While understandable, if you bought a new car and the dealership closed, you would go to another for warranty work without batting an eye yet they refuse to drive to another location to shop. It's not like you go there every day or every week, so you could do it if you realized your savings. And you wouldn't berate the car company, you would be mad at the dealership. So be mad at the jerk that closed your close location, not the company. But out of consideration, they company could easily work something out with you. It's not like you are trying to get your money back on a car you used for a year.

I do not like the high pressure cr@p. I do not like that they won't talk about cost openly. I was in the store last month and asked what the cost was now and they wouldn't even tell me, a current member who has gone through it. I think if the people knew they were buying membership into a wholesale buying club they would be much more willing to join and have far fewer complaints. As far as savings, some of the pricing sheets are like jobber rates, some are employee pricing, and some are just negotiated rates. Some are fantastic savings, some not so much esp if you have to pay shipping and the markup(not all do). And you need to plan. Sometimes it takes 6-8 weeks, sometimes I get my stuff in a few days. Making people aware of how it works would also prevent a lot of complaints.

This house is full of stuff I got from DirectBuy and have little else I will be buying in the foreseeable future. Comparing it to Amazon Prime for $99, the $99 rate was nothing and I was willing to maintain my membership indefinitely just in case I needed something. Now that my renewal has shot up to $299 and I don't see myself making any more big purchases, it isn't likely I will renew again. I sort of wanted to so I could buy stuff for my kids when they get a house or get married, but it's just a big gamble for so little anymore. With the internet, you can get everything except the furniture and big appliances. BTW, I got my initiation fee back the first year in the savings I got on appliances alone for our new house.

You also have to realize that most of the people that write reviews are unhappy and want to vent, so it is natural that most of the reviews here are negative. And really, 300 reviews here while there are literally 100,000+ members isn't an accurate reflection of customer satisfaction. Sometimes I wish I had the time to stand in front of the place and tell people coming in for their demonstration what to expect. That way they wouldn't waste their time and if they stayed they wouldn't feel pressured at the end since they would know it was coming. But I would much rather they change their business model so that people don't get angry. Not a single person I've met in my location was unhappy. All of us talked about how much money we saved on our last purchase and what we are looking for this time. Really pretty cool when you think about it since it gives you ideas.

I've been a member of DirectBuy for over 10 years. It went south in July 2015. Remodeling my home, wanted new hardwood floors. Contacted Armstrong Flooring while at DirectBuy, representative assured me the flooring could be glued down. Flooring arrived, installer found some of the wood was bowed. I contacted Armstrong again and this representative told me that the flooring I had order couldn't be glued and if it was bowing, return it, which I did to DirectBuy.

The representative at DirectBuy stated they couldn't find anything wrong with the flooring and tried to get me to take it back. I informed her no, and I ordered new flooring, which came and was installed. I had to pay shipping $187.75 to return the flooring. I paid $1,929.84 for the flooring. I requested a refund of my money, I'm still waiting and it's October 2015. My membership is up for renewal, I think this has done it for me. I've written a letter to corporate and I'll see where that gets me. I would recommend joining this club now.

Potential membership buyers beware! From the very beginning, and pressured sales, including the infamous, "If you don't sign up today, you'll never have another chance in your entire lifetime... this is a once in a lifetime, per-person offer." So, a $690 down payment... and a $6,724 contract for a 3-year membership, it immediately felt like a huge mistake!

We began refurnishing a new residence (relocated to Albuquerque from Michigan) so we had several large items to purchase. Each time we ordered something, it came damaged, often not noticed until we were unloading it at home or setting it up. Each time we spoke with the warehouse, they were defiant and apathetic, as if it was our fault. One time, they agreed to "split" the repair costs - ON A NEW HEADBOARD! The dresser came damaged, too... but after so much grief trying to barter for repairs on the headboard, we just sucked it up and counted it a valuable lesson.

The real problems only got worse 16 months into the contract when a payment wasn't posted, yet they did not allow us to use our prepaid/purchased membership which was COMPLETELY financed through another company. The long-short is, for $7,414 later we have absolutely nothing to show for, we could have done some incredible decorating. If it feels too good to be true, it probably is.

I returned a call to DirectBuy of Wisconsin after receiving a letter stating that we would receive a free Android Computer and a $100.00 restaurant gift card. After listening to him and him telling me that my wife and I would have to travel 90 miles to their store and take a 1 1/2 tour of the store to qualify for the computer and gift card. I told him that nowhere in the letter did it state that did I have to travel to Appleton, WI (90 miles) and take a tour. STEVE then directed me to the back side of the letter on the bottom of the page, in VERY SMALL PRINT, which gave the requirement to get the gift. In my opinion it sounds like a timeshare salesman trying to get you to buy a timeshare.

I joined DirectBuy in February 2015, did not 1st start looking for an item to purchase until 3 months later. I had paid $600 down and have been making payments of $200-$300 per month. 1st time DB did not carry the item I was looking for, next item there was not select option only one item. The 3rd try, the price was higher than Amazon. I did go through DB process and saved $5, wow. I told them I wanted to cancel, and of course was told it was past the 3 day period. Now the local store is closing so I can't even go in to look at carpets, or flooring, or other possible future items, but only order online.

I will be paying $2000 per year for an "online service", and must continue to pay each month on the agreement to not cause my credit rating to be negatively impacted. I don't have to pay $2,000 to shop and save on other on-line services. The sales pitch received was the showroom ability plus on-line option. I believe they are violating their part of the contract, and therefore, I am legally correct in terminating the contract. I sent DB an email stating in greater detail the above and received a quick response that I should read the contract and that my email would be sent to corporate headquarters. I know what the response will be, I am seeking an attorney to assist me on this matter, whether one on one, or class action suit. Any ideas out there?

I have been a DirectBuy customer since April 2005. Given when I bought into their program, my initial enrollment fee was less than $4,000. I paid $198.00 each year thereafter. However upon renewal in 2015, my annual fee was increased to $298.00 per year. I was advised the annual rate would never increase. I don't use them enough to recoup the new annual rate. This maybe my last year with them.

First off I have been a member since 1998 when I was renting an apt and making middle class money. It wasn't until I bought a two-family house 2 years later that I used the membership. At the time my wife was a kitchen designer for Home Depot and we got an employee discount of 10%. The house was in need of a complete makeover, we needed everything. Flooring, appliances, paint, sinks, cabinets, etc. I have found my shopping experience very rewarding and the savings have been awesome. We got solid wood cabinets for both kitchens (17x12) cheaper than the quote from Home Depot with the discount. The laminate 30 yr warranty product we got was almost 50% less than Home Depot again with the employee discount applied.

The appliances were not that big of a saving but what we did get through the club for free was a 3 year parts and labor contract for them, that made the purchase a no brainer in our book. We most recently purchased a memory foam bed with an adjustable base and saved over $1900 versus the local mattress dealer in our city. Have we saved on every purchase we have made? NO and our club salesperson told us that. I would not be a member for 17 years if it didn't make sense, hands down one of the best investments I have made.

Just like all the other complaints out there, our experience is the exact same. We bought into this scam a little over 2 yrs ago with the same high pressure as everyone else. We BEGGED the salesman to be honest with us about the savings. He assured us they had all price points and that the average blue collar worker would save lots of money. CRAP!! They offer high end product and do have decent discounts, but if you are on a budget of any sort, you will not be able to afford anything. Example: We had 2 t.v.s we needed to purchase when moving into our house. Easy, right? Wrong!!! All they offer is 3D or 4D t.v.s. And even though that sounds great, we are NOT that family. We just want your typical flat screen regular old HD tv! No big bells and whistles. So we had to go elsewhere. And that has held true for all other purchases since.

I am having the hardest time trying to figure out how this company continues to get away with this scam and there doesn't seem to be any recourse we can take against them. Is there not an attorney out there that wouldn't be willing to take on a bunch of cases as a huge law suit? You read all of the complaints and they are all the same. How does something like this stop. And now that all the clubs are shut down, where do you go from here?

Yes, they took my $5000.00 and ran with it. And I am a stay at home mom on one income. How do people live with themselves? I will never understand where the justice is in something like this. How is it that we are not protected from things like this, yet they can turn people over to collections and still get their money. As soon as we started getting billed from their creditor, we transferred it over to one of our credit cards that didn't have any interest so I have since paid for it, no collections for me, but that just means that took hard earned money out of our hands and placed it directly into theirs.

I wonder if my credit card company could help find recourse? I don't know. I just know that at this point we are up for renewal for the 3rd year, which is $198.00 and I don't want to give them another dime, but I guess I am like others who don't want to lose the $5000.00 investment in hopes that one day I can get a deal out of this... What to do??