2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

3.9/5 (1535 ratings)

About DirectBuy

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: July 7, 2021

I would like to thank Crystal, in the Escalations department. Crystal is an outstanding employee. Crystal went over and above to help me with these orders. I would give her more than the highest rating score. Crystal was not the first person I talk to about these orders. I called a lot.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

We were have an exasperating experience with our order for an entire kitchen of appliances. We were given a date for delivery and it was changed four times! Finally we had to cancel the Direct Buy appliances and we requested a refund on our membership. After about 12 calls, often people were supposed to call us back and did not. Crystal helped us in one call. She was professional and you are lucky to have her! She took care of all our needs. After she refunded our appliances, she refunded our membership. She even continued our membership through August, since we had a long history of being a member of DB. After Crystal helped us, we may reconsider and rejoin in the future! Stephen ** Member# **

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

Crystal helped me out with an issue with an incorrect item. She was ALWAYS courteous and polite and went out of her way to fix the issue. She always followed up with me and did not give up until the issue was resolved. Amazing customer service Crystal. Thank you:)

Original review: May 25, 2021

I have been with DirectBuy for over 10 years. I used to be able to go to a store in Gurnee, IL to check prices on things. So I knew what the wholesale price was. Now their prices are not wholesale anymore. They are most of the time higher than retail. I would not recommend joining DirectBuy anymore. They have been sued for being a scam, they lost to the tune of $500,000, and now they are trying to get it back by selling retail, instead of wholesale. The refrigerator I was looking at was $1844.00 on Direct Buy, and $1797 at Lowes, $1699.00 at Home Depot. Go buy retail, and save the Direct Buy yearly fee.

Original review: April 28, 2021

I have been a member since 2007 and for the first few years I was an avid supporter of DB. Once they started closing brick & mortar that was the end. Pricing has been better in the open market once you add all the DB fees, orders go unfulfilled and now shipping is a new way of profit for DB. Example of orders that go unfulfilled- I placed an order for a $800 sound bar which had a retail rice of over $1000. in October of 2020, I received four shipping delays on the item only after I emailed them every time first. The final delay caused me to cancel the order because the new shipping date was now going to be end of May 2021. Seven months later the price on street was now the same so I cancelled.

During this time my subscription had expired, I received no less than six phone calls from DB asking me about my renewal and when I would be doing it. I stated we were working through issues that could affect my renewal. After credit was finally received for cancelled order I went through with a two year renewal which I'm sorry I ever did. Example of pricing- I requested pricing on some very high end grill items. When I finally received the pricing weeks later and after follow up emails from me. I was once again able to purchase items cheaper on the street and this was without even adding the now infamous DB fees.

Example #3- Let's give them a chance and say it's a fluke. We want to order two ottomans for patio. We get ahold of the concierge service and ask pricing. We get base quote for items which was more than fair deal. We then ask for complete quote which means let's add the fees on. Well lo and behold we can now by it local on the street for the same price. Why because of shipping fees, first is the $40 guarantee shipping rate fee then there is the $140 shipping fee. We see the warehouse is only 10 miles from our location.

We ask to waive the fees and I can pick it up in person. Reply, "Oh this warehouse doesn't allow this". I then ask about drop ship from manufacture, "Oh we can't do that". I ask about forced delivery and not being able to pick it up this time it's a Covid issue. DB use to allow and had pick up when they owned the the B&M locations, when they closed them it was then pick up at warehouses that would change and move all over my state. Now they are forcing delivery as only way. Just another DIRECT BUY SCAM! Don't make the mistake, run if anybody even mentions this name.

Original review: April 1, 2021

In January 2021 we ordered 4 tables, a sectional sofa, 2 chairs and 6 barstools. 2 months later, we have received the tables, 1 with damaged leg that DirectBuy has not provided resolution. The barstools had to be cancelled due to DirectBuy not being able to define a delivery date. Originally 4-6 weeks turned into 3 months, turned into "we don't know". The sectional sofa and chairs originally had a delivery of March 17th, with a new expected delivery date of May 30th. Will not place another order with DirectBuy and I would recommend that nobody else does either.

Original review: March 15, 2021

At one time, we referred customers to Direct Buy monthly. Our recent experience has been nothing but frustration. When contacting concierge, no one has an answer, they promise to call back but no one does (twice in past 3 months). We are planning kitchen renovation and could not use DB. The rep called us once to connect originally and never initiated another call. After two months, we have four cupboard doors sent to us but no design or quote to for compare with other vendors. They couldn’t even give us an estimate.

We also ordered a table, stools, a beverage fridge and a microwave in January. Every item gets delayed after the stated deliver date. At this point, not one item is here or even scheduled to arrive before April and the fridge was just delayed till June 18th. Our Reno’s will be completed before our merchandise arrives. 2 years ago we ordered a Samsung range and it took 4 months to get here. Which means, if you really need it, pay the little extra and shop local. It appears that COVID is the only excuse there is and that big companies like Samsung and GE are making DirectBuy their last priority. I can pick up all those items locally in days.

While I am taking the time to write this review I might as well give fair warning that we bought into Direct Buy travel and although our original contract did not say it expired, Direct Buy changed their program and cancelled the only benefits we signed up for, the quarterly specials - it didn’t matter that our contract did not expire, they just cancelled it and offered us a new deal for $4000.00 more. My daughter got it right, “Well mom, looks like Direct Buy is firing you. They don’t want customers like you anymore." I have seen other reviews that say, the deals are good if you can stand the customer service but not even that is true anymore.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

We joined DB in 2009. At best it has been a mediocre experience. They claim “wholesale prices” which On occasion is true BUT after adding the “handling” and shipping fees you may be able to find the same item cheaper elsewhere. With a bit of wrangling you can get them to lower the quote, but it ends up being a lot of work between emailing back and forth and providing your Backup documentation. In general we have ultimately saved money but we’ve also have rehabbed 3 homes in that time. Unless you plan to do something similar with an investment that n the hundreds of thousands don’t consider it. DB closed its showrooms and filed for CH 11 which was no surprise.

The online website and search engine and ordering process is horrendous and of course with no showrooms the only way to conduct business. A few years ago there was an attempt at upgrading the site but nothing changed as far as I can tell. Within the past two years specifically DB’s customer service has become very poor and access to quality products and vendors decreasing. On a rent project I had issues with cabinetry and warping and misaligned doors. Neither I or two separate carpenters could not resolve the matter and ultimately DB was no help. For a year they kept asking for photos and then more and more. It was exhausting. Finally they agreed to replace a warped door and it was never received. The goal was to wear us down and ultimately they did.

We’ve also had an issue with automated shades and they were of no help. We ended up dealing with the manufacturer directly and not some of the issues have been resolved. What is very upsetting and disturbing is the outright lying that’s now taken hold. We had a problem With a leather sofa that apparently had a lifetime warranty. After months and months of “I emailed them and am waiting for a reply” and further emails of “the vendor is asking for such and such information can you provide” with no further word, something seemed off.

I did my own research to discover that THE COMPANY WAS BOUGHT AND THE BUYER SOON WENT OUT OF BUSINESS 3 YEARS AGO AFTER OUR PURCHASE. I was able to track the company’s demise and even called and spoke to the organization that acquired the inventory. I then asked DB who they were talking and emailing to and what numbers they were using. Obsolete and disconnected. What a bold lie, figuring no one would actually check up on them. Unbelievable.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I've been a DirectBuy customer for a few years. Watched them close their local catalogue centers. I have saved money on purchases through including office furniture, appliances and a couch. Some items I purchased needed warranty work. DirectBuy sent me instructions on how to ship my items directly to the manufacturer. When the repairs were complete, DirectBuy sent the items to the wrong address. So my repaired item has been sitting in a warehouse for two months. DirectBuy states they are working on getting it to me. The delivery company is saying they have no change orders from DirectBuy and cannot ship the item till DirectBuy pays for it. In the meantime, DirectBuy does not answer emails and phone calls get nowhere. I requested to speak to anyone in a supervisor or management role. Amazingly, no one can put any of those people on the phone.

I was just asked to renew my membership with DirectBuy. I can't renew with such terrible customer service. I don't know if people are overworked, just don't care, or a combination of the two. Bottom line is that is if this is the way things are going with DirectBuy I would not recommend anyone take a membership. It will just be money you are going to lose.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I had purchased numerous lights on DirectBuy website. Every time I checked out the they would charge the price of the item + tax with statement of ZERO shipping charge + Zero service charge. Now I noticed that they adjust the amount charge the next day or so to almost ONE THIRD of the charges. I called and asked how they can add onto the charges, and they state they apologize, but they do not know the shipping charge till know zip code. I informed them that many sites have a zip code shipping calculator on their check out site, but still, why do they still state ZERO for delivery charge when they are going to add it later, as well as, a handling charge. They NEVER indicate on checkout that there will be additional charges.

This is truly a misrepresentation of charges at check out and leads the customer to believe they have a certain charge amount; however, they are going to add an additional one third for shipping and handling. You pay an annual fee + paid $5,500 to join. This is a scam. You can get most of these items cheaper on other websites with free shipping and no handling fees. Why have cheaper prices then charge handling and shipping which will equal most website charges. Customer service is of no help!! I cannot see how this is legal to add additional charges later after you only authorized the charges you placed on checkout on their website.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Every order...never once arrive on time...give you a date...and then doesn't arrive... Delayed 2 weeks...then doesn't arrive...delayed again...sure blame COVID...that's the easy thing to do. No wonder this company went outta business already. LAAAAME!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I am surprised that this company is not out of business yet. The complete lack of organization and non-existent customer service makes any purchase both frustrating and painful. Once you are trapped into joining 'The Club' then you tolerate the poor system and services to try to recover your initial outlay. I purchased an Espresso Machine through their online portal. It was suppose to have a 2-4 week delivery. It is now over 2 months and I cannot get an answer on a delivery date. I keep reaching out and cannot get a reply. I guess I will see how long it takes for a refund!!! Yes, prices are good for the limited choices of products they have access to. However, if you shop you can find sale prices online for the same or similar products that are very close....the difference is that the other retailers will communicate and deliver in a timely manner. If you're stuck like me, keep your fingers cross that it will get better.

Original review: July 27, 2020

I have been tracking an item that has been in my City for almost two weeks. I am guaranteed a delivery and it never happens. You must call customer service to track every shipment as your account is NEVER updated online. They delivery dates are just a guess... Shipment is never confirmed... People answering the phone have no idea what they are doing and it takes them weeks to get your refund (if they allow it). I have items in my account that I have had in my possession for over a year and it still says "call for status". The frustration and follow up required are not worth the savings.

DirectBuy author review by ConsumerAffairs

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for.

• Selection: Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Prices: Factory-direct discount prices. Initial membership fee can be put toward the first purchase.

• Guarantee: 30-day money-back guarantee on memberships.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team