2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.98/5

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

DirectBuy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: March 7, 2020

Several years ago we purchased Diamond Cabinetry for our kitchen and laundry room from DirectBuy. We love our cabinets and were totally satisfied with every aspect of our purchase and delivery of them from DirectBuy. Recently, several of the soft close hinges have begun to fail. We contacted DirectBuy via email and received an immediate response from Melinda** of the Cabinet Design Team. Melinda immediately contacted Diamond for us (even though DirectBuy no longer carries their product). Within a short time, we received the hinges.

We are totally thrilled to be able to bring our cabinetry back up to perfect working order. We are very satisfied with all of the products and services we have received from DirectBuy. We highly recommend DirectBuy and thank Melinda ** for being an excellent representative of their company. We recommend that you try DirectBuy. You with be happy with the quality of the products offered and the support and service you will be provided.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

We've been members of DirectBuy since 2002. We've purchased appliances, furniture and kitchen cabinets. We've done cabinets on our kitchen, laundry room and bathroom. Everything that we have purchased is of excellent quality. I tend to go into looking at the online catalog and go through things. But sometimes I struggle particularly with items like a couch or chair, where it's in the best interest to be able to know whether you can sit in it. It's not the quality anymore, but now it's whether if it's comfortable. Usually, what I try to do is find out if I was interested in a product, then I try to see who sells it and if it’s a furniture store nearby that sells that product, then it gives you an idea of what you're purchasing.

The company itself has gone through a lot of changes because things are changing. At one time, you were able to go in the office area and they have all their samples. But there was not as many available for you to actually go to. Now, it seems to be more and more online purchases versus going into the showroom and being able to see some of the products or displays, or looking at the catalogs at your own leisure sort of thing.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

About 20 years ago, I was a DirectBuy member, back when they had a showroom. I had a brand new house, and I needed everything. Initially, I had a 10-year membership. We just recently moved and I thought we should become members again. So, I became a member again and I found out about their new system. I purchased furniture, window treatments, appliance, and lighting from them. They've got great quality.

The only thing is they don’t sell fabric anymore and I’d like to get fabric. Also, I understand custom furniture takes time, but it’s been over a month and my items still hasn’t come. It’s a duvet cover and some placemats. There’s no reason that it should take that long. Other than that, I always tell people about DirectBuy. I tell them that they should join if they need a lot of stuff. If they only need a couple of things, it’s not worth it.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

We joined DirectBuy when we were buying a bedroom set and found out we could buy it directly from them versus the company we were looking at for substantial savings. We purchased my son’s bedroom set that time and he still has it today. It’s good quality. We bought KitchenAid appliances on the house that we live in now, cabinets on a second level that we remodeled through DirectBuy, an electric fireplace, and we did some woodwork or something through them for some other project.

We recently bought another KitchenAid refrigerator and they sent a bill through their concierge service. I processed the bill and then they processed the payment. When they send the shipment through, it goes through KitchenAid’s parent company which is called Whirlpool. DirectBuy hands it off to Whirlpool and Whirlpool then has everything electronic. They called and said when they were coming to deliver and I couldn’t contact them back. If they show up and I'm not there, they give two more tries. And there's really no way of communicating with them when they show up to deliver it.

The Whirlpool situation is less than desirable because they called on a weekend and I tried to get back in touch with them. Then DirectBuy has a hard time getting in touch with them. They read off a number to you and if you don’t get it correctly or if they’re speaking slowly, it’s okay. But they speak fast or soft or the communication’s not a good connection and you don’t know what number they’re talking about and then they can’t find your order. Then they just show up and you better be there. So, that’s less than desirable.

The thing that kinda bothers us is when we joined back in 2005, we had to pay nearly $2,000. Now, the membership is like $200. Why did I have to pay so much back then and so little now? Also, they used to have local stores and that made it a lot better because you had the in-store advantage of being able to see the products. Now, everything's online and it's more difficult because if you’re gonna buy it online and spend a lot of money on it, you wanna make sure you know what you’re getting. Just a picture online and a couple of reviews don’t tell you what you need to know.

I’ve tried to communicate with DirectBuy when I’ve had concerns and they’ve made some adjustments. There has been some change from last year so that’s good. Also, they fixed the delivery problem. There used to be a stack of charges. If you order something and want it delivered, then it was like one price was for the delivery to your driveway, another price for the delivery into your house, a third price for delivery into your house to a specific room, and another price for delivery into your house to a specific room and unbox it. They don’t have that anymore. Now, they bring it into your house, set it wherever you want, and they take the packaging away.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

Someone we knew recommended that we look into DirectBuy 5 or 6 years ago, and we moved forward from there. We remodel homes so we were interested in seeing if we could use them to supply things like appliances and cabinetry, and those types of things that are typically expensive. Most of the time, it’s fairly easy to find the products but it’s a little more challenging every once in a while.

The website is where I do most of my purchasing, and it’s better than it used to be but it still could use some improvements to make it a little easier to find things. The filters could narrow down to depending on what types of items one is looking for. Searching for a light fixture, if I make it 5,000 of them, I can’t really sort through 5,000. I should be able to adjust the price to my price point and that filters some out. But in certain categories, it still leaves a lot of item. Other than that, there's no negative quality-wise in anything that we’ve bought and I’ve been very happy with every purchase we’ve made.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

We were have an exasperating experience with our order for an entire kitchen of appliances. We were given a date for delivery and it was changed four times! Finally we had to cancel the Direct Buy appliances and we requested a refund on our membership. After about 12 calls, often people were supposed to call us back and did not. Crystal helped us in one call. She was professional and you are lucky to have her! She took care of all our needs. After she refunded our appliances, she refunded our membership. She even continued our membership through August, since we had a long history of being a member of DB. After Crystal helped us, we may reconsider and rejoin in the future! Stephen ** Member# **

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

We joined DB in 2009. At best it has been a mediocre experience. They claim “wholesale prices” which On occasion is true BUT after adding the “handling” and shipping fees you may be able to find the same item cheaper elsewhere. With a bit of wrangling you can get them to lower the quote, but it ends up being a lot of work between emailing back and forth and providing your Backup documentation. In general we have ultimately saved money but we’ve also have rehabbed 3 homes in that time. Unless you plan to do something similar with an investment that n the hundreds of thousands don’t consider it. DB closed its showrooms and filed for CH 11 which was no surprise.

The online website and search engine and ordering process is horrendous and of course with no showrooms the only way to conduct business. A few years ago there was an attempt at upgrading the site but nothing changed as far as I can tell. Within the past two years specifically DB’s customer service has become very poor and access to quality products and vendors decreasing. On a rent project I had issues with cabinetry and warping and misaligned doors. Neither I or two separate carpenters could not resolve the matter and ultimately DB was no help. For a year they kept asking for photos and then more and more. It was exhausting. Finally they agreed to replace a warped door and it was never received. The goal was to wear us down and ultimately they did.

We’ve also had an issue with automated shades and they were of no help. We ended up dealing with the manufacturer directly and not some of the issues have been resolved. What is very upsetting and disturbing is the outright lying that’s now taken hold. We had a problem With a leather sofa that apparently had a lifetime warranty. After months and months of “I emailed them and am waiting for a reply” and further emails of “the vendor is asking for such and such information can you provide” with no further word, something seemed off.

I did my own research to discover that THE COMPANY WAS BOUGHT AND THE BUYER SOON WENT OUT OF BUSINESS 3 YEARS AGO AFTER OUR PURCHASE. I was able to track the company’s demise and even called and spoke to the organization that acquired the inventory. I then asked DB who they were talking and emailing to and what numbers they were using. Obsolete and disconnected. What a bold lie, figuring no one would actually check up on them. Unbelievable.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

Crystal helped me out with an issue with an incorrect item. She was ALWAYS courteous and polite and went out of her way to fix the issue. She always followed up with me and did not give up until the issue was resolved. Amazing customer service Crystal. Thank you:)

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I've been a DirectBuy customer for a few years. Watched them close their local catalogue centers. I have saved money on purchases through including office furniture, appliances and a couch. Some items I purchased needed warranty work. DirectBuy sent me instructions on how to ship my items directly to the manufacturer. When the repairs were complete, DirectBuy sent the items to the wrong address. So my repaired item has been sitting in a warehouse for two months. DirectBuy states they are working on getting it to me. The delivery company is saying they have no change orders from DirectBuy and cannot ship the item till DirectBuy pays for it. In the meantime, DirectBuy does not answer emails and phone calls get nowhere. I requested to speak to anyone in a supervisor or management role. Amazingly, no one can put any of those people on the phone.

I was just asked to renew my membership with DirectBuy. I can't renew with such terrible customer service. I don't know if people are overworked, just don't care, or a combination of the two. Bottom line is that is if this is the way things are going with DirectBuy I would not recommend anyone take a membership. It will just be money you are going to lose.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I had purchased numerous lights on DirectBuy website. Every time I checked out the they would charge the price of the item + tax with statement of ZERO shipping charge + Zero service charge. Now I noticed that they adjust the amount charge the next day or so to almost ONE THIRD of the charges. I called and asked how they can add onto the charges, and they state they apologize, but they do not know the shipping charge till know zip code. I informed them that many sites have a zip code shipping calculator on their check out site, but still, why do they still state ZERO for delivery charge when they are going to add it later, as well as, a handling charge. They NEVER indicate on checkout that there will be additional charges.

This is truly a misrepresentation of charges at check out and leads the customer to believe they have a certain charge amount; however, they are going to add an additional one third for shipping and handling. You pay an annual fee + paid $5,500 to join. This is a scam. You can get most of these items cheaper on other websites with free shipping and no handling fees. Why have cheaper prices then charge handling and shipping which will equal most website charges. Customer service is of no help!! I cannot see how this is legal to add additional charges later after you only authorized the charges you placed on checkout on their website.

DirectBuy author review by ConsumerAffairs

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for.

• Selection: Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Prices: Factory-direct discount prices. Initial membership fee can be put toward the first purchase.

• Guarantee: 30-day money-back guarantee on memberships.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team