2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.38/5

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Gallery (4)
View More View More

DirectBuy Reviews

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

We joined DirectBuy when we were buying a bedroom set and found out we could buy it directly from them versus the company we were looking at for substantial savings. We purchased my son’s bedroom set that time and he still has it today. It’s good quality. We bought KitchenAid appliances on the house that we live in now, cabinets on a second level that we remodeled through DirectBuy, an electric fireplace, and we did some woodwork or something through them for some other project.

We recently bought another KitchenAid refrigerator and they sent a bill through their concierge service. I processed the bill and then they processed the payment. When they send the shipment through, it goes through KitchenAid’s parent company which is called Whirlpool. DirectBuy hands it off to Whirlpool and Whirlpool then has everything electronic. They called and said when they were coming to deliver and I couldn’t contact them back. If they show up and I'm not there, they give two more tries. And there's really no way of communicating with them when they show up to deliver it.

The Whirlpool situation is less than desirable because they called on a weekend and I tried to get back in touch with them. Then DirectBuy has a hard time getting in touch with them. They read off a number to you and if you don’t get it correctly or if they’re speaking slowly, it’s okay. But they speak fast or soft or the communication’s not a good connection and you don’t know what number they’re talking about and then they can’t find your order. Then they just show up and you better be there. So, that’s less than desirable.

The thing that kinda bothers us is when we joined back in 2005, we had to pay nearly $2,000. Now, the membership is like $200. Why did I have to pay so much back then and so little now? Also, they used to have local stores and that made it a lot better because you had the in-store advantage of being able to see the products. Now, everything's online and it's more difficult because if you’re gonna buy it online and spend a lot of money on it, you wanna make sure you know what you’re getting. Just a picture online and a couple of reviews don’t tell you what you need to know.

I’ve tried to communicate with DirectBuy when I’ve had concerns and they’ve made some adjustments. There has been some change from last year so that’s good. Also, they fixed the delivery problem. There used to be a stack of charges. If you order something and want it delivered, then it was like one price was for the delivery to your driveway, another price for the delivery into your house, a third price for delivery into your house to a specific room, and another price for delivery into your house to a specific room and unbox it. They don’t have that anymore. Now, they bring it into your house, set it wherever you want, and they take the packaging away.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

We’ve been a DirectBuy member for about 12 years. We bought a house and we remodeled it with two brand-new bathrooms, and then, we built a house, still owning the previous house. We thought we could save a lot of money with these bathrooms. We could get high-quality materials and not pay high-quality prices. The quality of the products we've received from DirectBuy is outstanding.

We’ve not been so pleased lately because they got rid of all their showrooms. We like to see and touch and get a better feel for things we’re doing. And now, we’re kinda stuck doing that on the internet. And I don’t think they have all the products that they offer on the internet because that would just be a Herculean task. Another thing is the manufacturers that they represent, some of them stay for the long-haul, but a lot of them, you buy one you really like, and then, you check back with them a year later, and they don’t offer that manufacturer anymore. And that can be a little frustrating.

We recently bought a bed and a frame for another house we bought in Florida. We were told that the delivery of both of them would be four to six weeks. So, they have a tendency, which is a good practice, to under-commit and over-deliver. I think it is a good thing. But the problem is, in this case, we really expected the frame to come before the bed. The bed came before the frame, and the bed had white glove delivery. So, we really couldn’t have a delivery until the frame got there. And we kinda got a nasty letter from DirectBuy saying, “Hey, the company has been holding onto this mattress for a month, and they need to deliver it.”

We ordered the frame a week before we ordered the bed. And it was a little frustrating because we were waiting and waiting for the frame. I could’ve bought the frame on Amazon and had it there in two days. But I decided to buy it from DirectBuy instead, which probably was a mistake. Another thing that was interesting was it was cheaper on Amazon than DirectBuy, which was kind of a rare occurrence. I give DirectBuy credit because they did credit me the difference, which was nice. I didn’t expect that.

There's one thing that really frustrates me. When we first joined, they took American Express for the membership fee. And then, they stopped taking American Express and they only took Visa. Then, a couple years ago, they started taking American Express again, which I was thrilled with. But a couple of months ago, before we made this purchase with the mattress and the box springs, they stopped taking it, and it’s frustrating. I really like to use American Express wherever possible because we get points, and we travel a lot, and we use these points for traveling.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

It's going pretty well with DirectBuy, where we bought most of our stuff for a bathroom remodel we're doing right now. But the cabinets we ordered from them are a little bit delayed. I was given a name of a person that I needed to work with and I did contact him at the beginning of September and gave him all of my information, what we were looking for and a picture of exactly what we wanted. He responded back quickly as far as giving us dimensions for everything. By the time we went back and forth and delays, we didn't submit the order until September 24th. It was kind of surprising because we pretty much had everything wrapped up within a week from when I first emailed him, which was September 4th. So I would've expected the order be submitted much sooner. We had told him that we were planning on starting the project early to mid-October at the latest and really wanted everything in the house.

We still haven't heard anything so I emailed him last week and asked if we could have an update on our cabinetry and I have not heard anything back. Our remodeling is actually a little delayed which is why I'm not too concerned about the cabinetry. So we got time yet. Also, it's harder to purchase from Directbuy than it used to be 'cause we used to be able to go to the location, look through books and talk to people. We did our kitchen through DirectBuy four years ago almost, and there was a woman that we sat down with, and we went through all the cabinetry and all of her recommendations and drawings. It was so much simpler because we could actually talk with somebody physically right there and go through the project.

Now, we've done two projects since, and it has been more on us doing all the legwork of going out to different places to check things out and to do all of our searches for numbers and part numbers. But over than those, everything else was beautiful with Directbuy. There was one woman that I emailed back and forth with on our Kohler order and Delta. And she was so quick. We would email all the stuff that we were wanting to purchase and things we couldn't find on the website. She emailed us back within a day and said she would get those prices for us then she sent us a spreadsheet with everything and it was amazing.

We have been a member since 2002 and we always recommended Directbuy on a caveat. I recommend it to a brand-new homeowner who doesn't have any insurance or people who are looking to completely refinish their house or who are at that stage where they've had everything for 20 years and are looking to refinish things, redo things, get new furniture. If you're not at either of those stages, it's usually not worth the money.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I liked it when DirectBuy had this showroom in Winnipeg, and I could go and take a look at some things and sit with the catalogs. I tend to like catalogs much better than going on the computer. I’m almost 70 years old, so books are better than e-readers, and having someone to consult with and talk to. They also used to have a lot of samples and things that you could look at because the color on the computer screen can look quite different than what you actually get.

We haven’t used DirectBuy as much as we intended. We bought various pieces of furniture. When I was executor in a particular case, I did use it to fix up a house that was looking after. But right now, I have three feral cats that live in the house with me, and I don't want workmen coming in and out of the house because they're not gonna watch them. My mother is in Charleswood Care Centre in Winnipeg, so as long as she’s alive, we’re not gonna do anything with the house until she’s gone. And then, we will make more use of DirectBuy. Another thing is that it’s hard to work out of like a bar fridge downstairs. And it takes about eight week for delivery for a lot of things. So instead of going through DirectBuy, we just went to Home Depot and bought a fridge and had it delivered a couple of days later.

I do like that the quality of things from DirectBuy have been good. When something has been damaged or not quite what we wanted, they’ve been very good about taking it back and replacing it, and getting things fixed. The staff has always been very good when I’ve talked to them. We continue to pay the membership. At first, we paid $5000 years ago. And then, we had to pay a smaller amount now. We’re paying around $300 a year for it. We don't always get our value every year, but when I did have to fix up the house for resale, that I was executor of, then there was more purchases that year.

When my nephew got married, I wanted to give them a wedding gift to help them set up their home. And the guy at Winnipeg that was running the store was great. I went in and told him that my purchases were not for myself and they were gifts. He gave me a bunch of fabrics, swatches, and told me that I could take them home and let the kids look at them. And I appreciated that. I'm happy enough to continue renewing membership and I would recommend DirectBuy to people.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I re-signed up with DirectBuy ‘cause I'm redoing my bathroom. Back in 2010 when I first became a member, I was remodeling my house and it sounded like a good idea if I could save a dollar here or there by buying direct. So, I attended a little seminar and was hooked from that point on. Purchasing from DirectBuy is great considering that I can't go into a physical store and touch the item which I used to be able to do years ago. Here in the greater Phoenix area, there's only one store available and they have a very sparse selection of stuff, but there are people that are more than happy to help you.

DirectBuy had stores and some stores had more plumbing than the other store or this or that or they tell could you, “They sell those furniture at this furniture place. Go look at it and then come back.” I kinda missed that ‘cause I kinda like being able to kick the tires before I buy something. This time around, I bought everything on the internet. I used the concierge once, and both the internet and the concierge were very easy, user-friendly and very helpful. The concierge was great. There were two separate ladies that helped me. They were extremely helpful and went out of their way. I've been very pleased and it's a nice option to be able to have that available once.

The items are all high quality and that’s kind of what I'm looking for. If we're gonna spend the money, I want something that’s gonna last and I haven't been disappointed yet. Also, I received my shipment earlier than expected on one thing. I'm waiting for the tub that's supposed to be coming in from Georgia. It's still within the time period when it said it should be shipping out but my bathroom remodel is going a little faster than I had anticipated. But at least on my plumbing, everything else that I had ordered has already come in so that’s great.

Before, the merchandise needs to be delivered to the store. They would check it to make sure that it wasn’t damaged then they would call you to come pick it up. But now, it comes directly to you. So, I was a little nervous ‘cause I gotta check everything just to make sure it's not damaged. I ordered plumbing fixtures and stuff and the delivery person was gone before I even realized that the plumbing stuff was out at the front. They rang the doorbell and by the time I got out there, they were gone. But there wasn’t an issue and everything was well-packed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: March 7, 2020

Several years ago we purchased Diamond Cabinetry for our kitchen and laundry room from DirectBuy. We love our cabinets and were totally satisfied with every aspect of our purchase and delivery of them from DirectBuy. Recently, several of the soft close hinges have begun to fail. We contacted DirectBuy via email and received an immediate response from Melinda** of the Cabinet Design Team. Melinda immediately contacted Diamond for us (even though DirectBuy no longer carries their product). Within a short time, we received the hinges.

We are totally thrilled to be able to bring our cabinetry back up to perfect working order. We are very satisfied with all of the products and services we have received from DirectBuy. We highly recommend DirectBuy and thank Melinda ** for being an excellent representative of their company. We recommend that you try DirectBuy. You with be happy with the quality of the products offered and the support and service you will be provided.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I've been a DirectBuy member for 20 years and they have quality products. I used to feel that it was easy to find products, and then I used to feel that their prices were better than what you can get in the stores, but over the past five years, I do not. And I think it's very hard on the internet to search for different things and products. My wife said they don’t have good filter. I didn’t use the word DirectBuy, but she knows who I'm talking about. So, she knows that we have so much trouble. I get more competitive pricing. I just don’t think that you get that discounted rate that you used to get. I can go to Lowe’s and when something is on sale here, I get a better price.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

We've been members of DirectBuy since 2002. We've purchased appliances, furniture and kitchen cabinets. We've done cabinets on our kitchen, laundry room and bathroom. Everything that we have purchased is of excellent quality. I tend to go into looking at the online catalog and go through things. But sometimes I struggle particularly with items like a couch or chair, where it's in the best interest to be able to know whether you can sit in it. It's not the quality anymore, but now it's whether if it's comfortable. Usually, what I try to do is find out if I was interested in a product, then I try to see who sells it and if it’s a furniture store nearby that sells that product, then it gives you an idea of what you're purchasing.

The company itself has gone through a lot of changes because things are changing. At one time, you were able to go in the office area and they have all their samples. But there was not as many available for you to actually go to. Now, it seems to be more and more online purchases versus going into the showroom and being able to see some of the products or displays, or looking at the catalogs at your own leisure sort of thing.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Response was good but shouldn't have to go thru you to get information that should be on the website in the first place. I had the same question on many more of these items but don't want to go thru this process for each of them. Product dimensions should be on the website.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

We've been DirectBuy members for 15 years now. Back then, becoming a member sounded like a good deal. We bought a whole house full of furniture from them. We remodeled a house using their products and furnished a condo using all of their furniture. So the membership has paid off in the long run. However, we used to go into the showroom and look through the stuff and now they don't have that which is disappointing.

I get emails that say this is what's on special which I look through. Sometimes I purchase their items on special and go through other things. Still, their website is not great. If I'm looking for something, I have to know the brand in order to look it up. If someone is doing a major remodel or buying a lot of furniture, they will definitely save a lot of money going through Best Buy.

DirectBuy author review by ConsumerAffairs

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for.

• Selection: Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Prices: Factory-direct discount prices. Initial membership fee can be put toward the first purchase.

• Guarantee: 30-day money-back guarantee on memberships.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team