Call toll free
4.37/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Gallery (4)
View More View More

1521 DirectBuy Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 31, 2019

I've been a DirectBuy member for over 20 years. I was a member when they first started and that thing was down in Delaware. But the renewal price sometimes gets a little ridiculous. They dropped it to $69 but now, it's going back up again. When I got in, I spent almost $3,000 to join this thing. To buy for that type of price and the discounts you get are good. But they constantly make money off the purchase that I buy all through the time I shop and yet, my membership fee is so high, for being in as long as I was. They've sent me another referral to join but I didn't even look at it because I haven't been buying as much stuff lately.

Most of the stuff I've purchased and done are furniture and home repairs. But I didn't get some of the stuff from DirectBuy because they were taking too long to give it to me. The shipment costs get you as well. When I was living in Delaware, I was beating the taxes but the shipment cost was really high. This year, I bought furniture and my bed. I like to buy my stuff early when I see sales and I mostly get furniture stuff from them because my supplies and tile would be more beneficial for me because I'm local, considering the weight. The one bad experience I had was when I ordered one of those recliner beds and I got the wrong bed.

I never had a problem with the people in the concierge though. I like the internet when purchasing but sometimes, it's best to go there. They can work it better. When we try to compare prices and look at different items, that has still been a little difficult. You gotta have some of the numbers to actually identify the stuff but sometimes, they know the names so I usually have better deal going through them. Back when DirectBuy first started, this is what I used to love about them. They used to have sample stuff that they will buy to show you and then they will let you buy that stuff sometimes. But now, there's no warehouse to go to. I used to come pick the stuff up myself. Now, you can't even go do that. They have to ship it to a place.

I also don't like the different type of people that took over on it but I don't get any consideration for that. They also have this travel thing involved now and we had a little misunderstanding when I first joined. The rep was telling me one thing and we had a few differences of opinion. We were at the airport and they couldn't match the stuff. We cancelled it and I had a problem getting my money back for a little while. But overall, I like the program. Despite the little personal things or issues I had, it's still a gem overall because it was revolutionized from what I've seen. I have some misunderstandings but most of the stuff were adjusted or corrected as well. There were a few things I didn't like. But there are some perks about keeping things exclusive too. I've been satisfied with all my furnitures and purchases from them.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

DirectBuy is direct from the manufacturer as opposed to going strictly on the retail side and they offer a discount for merchandise. I’ve been a member for close to eight years now and in the past, my purchasing experience was excellent. But the whole franchise process has changed up and my purchasing experience of late hasn’t been too good. Everything is basically online now and it has some advantages. But it mainly has some disadvantages because you can’t really see and you don’t get an idea.

They don't have any stores in Pennsylvania now. I know they have something in Canada where you can go and sit, and they have all the catalogs that you can look through. But they don’t have that in the United States anymore and that creates an issue. You can’t just walk over to a representative and say if you've got an issue with something or ask to be directed to something. Now, you gotta do it yourself. DirectBuy also needs to have a better answering service. You can be on the line for half an hour before you get a person. And even before that, there are some instructions that take a good 10 minutes to go through in order to get put on hold. So that system they use sucks.

I’m also having serious problems with a furniture I bought recently. When it was delivered, it wasn’t able to come through the door on the room that I wanted it to go to. There was some disagreement that the furniture was supposed to be delivered and put in the garage but that wasn’t my understanding. Under no circumstances would I allow to put it in a garage because of what was agreed on by the person I was dealing with at the time. It was supposed to be delivered to the room of my choice. There was also a combination of discussions not only with DirectBuy but also with the company that they used to do the delivery of the furniture. Although I never really got a firm, “Yes, that was what was agreed to,” from DirectBuy, they took it back anyway.

We agreed that they would try to come out with a better crew to see if they could fit it in that room. But I'm under the opinion that it won’t fit. I've said that it's okay and that I'll have them put the furniture in another room that I think it would fit in. It's not what I wanted but at least it could fit. I actually wanted to downsize it but what I didn’t read was a small print that said the company Ashley has a policy that they will not accept any returns. Aside from that furniture, I've had no problem with the quality of any other items. They were all top-notch quality and the purchases I've made were of the major items. I had a complete kitchen remodeling done and that involved cabinets, a refrigerator and granite. There were also bathroom supplies and ceiling fans. One other major purchase I did was for windows and doors for our house.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

There's only so much money we can pay for stuff. We worked through the owners of a DirectBuy franchise for many years. If we went through them, we could get better things for our money. We became members of DirectBuy back in the 80's. We just bought a house, and I knew what I was looking at for furniture. Everything I'm looking at except my wife's desk was bought through DirectBuy.

I enjoyed going to the showroom on a Saturday afternoon, sitting at a table, and looking at half a dozen catalogs of what we were looking for, to figure out which one we really wanted. We even brought tape measures so we could picture how big they were. I also enjoyed the interaction with the owners and their salespeople there, they're wonderful people and very accommodating. It was the personal experience that got us. Unfortunately, we don't have that anymore. They retired and they weren't replaced.

On the merchandise side, we're very happy with them. The last things we bought were Lenox Christmas gifts and they're very nice. We've been providing our family with Lenox holiday ware for 20 years. The drawer I bought my wife was a good bargain. I also just bought a watch for my nephew that's graduating in college this spring, and I'm paying half of what they're selling at the discount stores. Something that has a list price of 60 bucks, we can buy at The Outlets for 30 bucks, but we can get it at DirectBuy for 19 so we don't mind giving that stuff because we're paying the same amount of money, just better stuff. However, we noticed that the prices are becoming less and less of a bargain, over the recent years. We don't buy as much as we're in our 70s, so we're not in the accumulation stage of things. We don't deal with the hassles with large items from them anymore so we pay for the convenience of getting something locally.

In addition, we have to stay away from their travel organization. It's a rip-off. When they originally offered a new service, I trusted them implicitly and paid a couple thousand bucks upfront to be one of the members. But I'll never get that back. They've been jerking me around ever since. We were told that if we bought into this, we would get our money back. It was just over down payment. If I take a cruise, they use that money to deduct the certain percentage off the top.

The last time, we did all the work. We went to the cruise lines, set up everything, and then after we got what we wanted, we turned it over to DirectBuy. They saved us 150 bucks, but they didn't do the normal cruise agent things. The first cruise we took with them, they didn't pay the cruise line one time so we got kicked out of our handicapped room, and the only thing they would offer us is a substitute. We were booked into a handicapped cabin with a balcony. For the same money, they were offering us an inside handicapped cabin without discount.

They also keep calling us with vacation packages that are set up as a timeshare. They've messed us up several times and they keep calling me about these timeshare things, and I don't want to pay money to get into a timeshare. I tried to get out of it and they told me, when I started to figure, at the small fine print apparently was like two days late in trying to back out, and they wouldn't let me. Now, if I sat down with the owner over in Chichester, and talk it all through, I would've understood all this. But, that is not the way they work anymore. Other than that, although we paid extra money to get DirectBuy's concierge service, they've been very good.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

We've been with Direct Buy since it was TotalHome and we bought furniture, flooring, and lights from them. However, we don’t like DirectBuy right now. They've taken out all the stores. At least before, the one DirectBuy that we had before it got closed had a huge amount of inventory there, so we could see the flooring, and it was a great help. It was awesome. Then we had to go to another one which was an absolutely horrible one, and then it also closed. Now, we're at our third one and it just closed too. And they weren’t even close by. We still have to drive all over the place.

At one point we even ordered wedding invitations through DirectBuy. And we actually got to see the wedding invitation before we ordered 200 wedding invitations. The girl said they were gonna send us a sample and showed us what it was gonna look like. So, we had one sample that they made up for us, and then, we sent it. It was perfect. The girl was awesome because we used to do it with Leanne for 10 years. I would just phone her and say I was looking for this. She would say okay and when I would get there, she'd show me. She'd make sure they've got it all put aside. There was more help, where now, it's a little bit different.

So, now, the reason I don’t like it is because when I look at flooring on the internet, how can I tell what it looks like? So, I have to go running around. I have to phone stores and ask if they sell this kind of floor or color. So, it's a little bit awkward. If I'm going to go all online and catalog-shopping, to me, paying what I do for a membership is crazy ‘cause I'm doing it all myself.

I also find their website horrible. I was on it last night. I was looking for Napoleon Fireplaces. I put in “fireplaces” and then, it said there isn’t anything in that name. So then, I put in “Napoleon” and I got one Napoleon fireplace which came from one of their catalogs and the rest was furniture that had names with Napoleon in it. Also, when I was looking for a certain name brand of furniture, if it's Hooker, I could put Hooker in, and I might not have it on their website, but when I phoned and asked if I could get that, they said yes.

One time, I had an order and it was supposed to come in and it was white, and I told the girl the numbers and everything else. She ordered it, I got it, she had written in the order form that it was seashell white. But when I got it, it was gray because the number didn’t correspond with what she wrote. I didn’t know the number because it wasn’t on their site. So, it's still better to deal in person if we can.

I am a firm believer in DirectBuy. So, I'm still here. I would probably keep my membership because I will probably do another move again and nothing ever fits the same, but DirectBuy is just sometimes a bit of a pain. The other day with my husband, he asked why are we even bothering. We might as well just pay the extra 500 bucks and just go get it because I'm running around like crazy trying to research it and I couldn't. I would recommend DirectBuy to a friend as far as the price, but I don't know if I would recommend to a friend the way it's gone because brick and mortars cost money. But for some people, we need that one-on-one service rather than talking on the phone.

DirectBuy response

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experience with DirectBuy. Our company values put member satisfaction as top priority and we are committed to making sure that our services reflect that principle. It is only through feedback such as yours that we can maintain, and where necessary, improve our services that we provide to our valued members. Thank you again for your response, and we look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

When I went to DirectBuy to talk to the people about what the membership was all about, they looked up the same couch that I had just bought. And they were able to help me realize what I could have saved. I absolutely joined right then and there. We were in the process of furnishing a few homes. We furnished a home down in Florida. A couple of our daughters also had homes that we were trying to help furnish.

I've been a DirectBuy member for about 15 years now. But in the beginning, making purchases was a little tough because you had to go to the store and look up everything that you were wanting. But at least you had some people there helping you while you were doing that. Then once the items came in, you had to go back to the store, have them unpack it in front of you, check everything and then get it home. Those were sometimes challenging. We were on our way home once and the one of my daughter's chairs was not secured in the pickup truck as well as it could have been. And we lost one of them on the road. It got rather scarred up and broken. She still has it but it’s not perfect now.

I always liked being able to go in, touch fabrics and look at different catalogues. It’s a little bit easier when it’s right there in front of you as opposed to looking it up online. But they definitely turned it around to where it’s more user-friendly. You can look at things up from their website and it's become a lot easier to manage when you're trying to get a whole bunch of things. You can also take a picture if you’re at a furniture store and ask DirectBuy, “Can you find this for me and send it to somebody there at the main office?” That's great. You can also have the furniture delivered directly to your home.

On the other hand, there were some purchases that we’ve made over the last couple of years that we did not purchase through DirectBuy although we could have. One of them was a hot tub. I didn’t feel that that was as much of a savings compared to going ahead, paying the extra percentage and having the ability to utilize the company that delivered the hot tub for me. With DirectBuy, I wouldn’t have known who to contact if I had issues with it later on. So there are pros and cons to it still.

Right now, we’re in the process of building a bigger new home down in Florida and I’m going to totally furnish it with furniture from DirectBuy as well. My only issue is that I don’t know what I’m gonna do with the furniture when it comes in and where I’m gonna put it until it's time to move into the house. That is about eight months away still. With a furniture store, you can absolutely purchase an item and they would hold it for you until you’re ready for it. This past week, my sister-in-law was bragging on this one furniture store and how they were 40% off. But comparing pricing, what I could get it for was still almost 50% off. So I said DirectBuy is still worth it to me and I don’t care if I have to pay for a delivery fee.

My sister-in-law was saying that the $150 delivery fee was all I gotta pay and it didn’t matter how many times they would get delivered. That’s fine and dandy but when you’re paying close to 50% more than what I was paying to start with, I still see it as a total savings. There’s still a little drawback here and there. But my recommendation for DirectBuy is If they can come up with some ways to have a storage facility for people that might need it like myself. Still, I would absolutely recommend DirectBuy to anyone that’s looking at purchasing large amounts or even smaller amounts of anything for the household.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

I was asking to see if the club offered delivery to my home and Barbara ** gave all the info I needed to move ahead and order from the club. The web page cart only mentions pick up from the warehouse. If I didn't ask I would never of know of the home delivery service and Barbara gave me the details which really helped in my buying choice.

Henry **

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

To be honest, I was ready to cancel my membership with DB after many years because your customer service has been so unbearably bad. Jennifer restored my faith in your company by her follow-up, immediate responses, and ability to help me find what I was looking for. I wanted to purchase 3 chandeliers and she was able to locate one that I did purchase. The other two she continued to search for alternatives until I made my final decision. I do not have a lot of free time and this service was exactly what I needed. Too bad all of your representatives do not put the same effort in. We have renewed our membership thanks to her.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

Called to add guest to the Markham event being held today. Barbara was very polite, friendly and helpful. She made the call herself to add our guest and called me back promptly to confirm she could attend. Also sent finance info as I requested. Excellent service.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have been a DirectBuy member for almost 20 years. Over the years I have watched it become transformed into a strictly online buying experience. I was unhappy to see the showrooms disappear. I have purchased many items over the years at fantastic savings. I was delighted when I received the first email regarding the Z Gallerie line of products. Much to my dismay, everything that DirectBuy is selling is actually priced higher than the Z Gallerie store or Z Gallerie online. So I wonder, what is the purpose of DirectBuy at this point for anyone?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Hi, just a short note to point out the excellent service that I received from Tanya **. She went through window blind choices with me and offered costed options. Very helpful and impressively fast follow-up. A great representative for your company. I rate her service as 5 stars.

DirectBuy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for.

• Selection: Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Prices: Factory-direct discount prices. Initial membership fee can be put toward the first purchase.

• Guarantee: 30-day money-back guarantee on memberships.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs