Call toll free
4.35/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Gallery (4)
View More View More

1308 DirectBuy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

We purchased furniture for the dining room, living room and basement. Working with Amanda ** was a wonderful experience. Buying that much furniture can be overwhelming. We loved how knowledgeable she was on the brands, style, color & design. She guided us through the process and we love the results. I would recommend DirectBuy to anyone who likes to shop and save.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

We received a defective table from Progressive Furniture. I contacted Direct Buy's customer service and spoke with Lorena **. She had me send pictures of the table and she contacted Progressive. Lorena sent me email updates and kept me informed. It took two more table top deliveries but they got it right. A big thank you to Lorena and the Direct Buy team.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Marthena Home Furnishings Purchase - Quite happy with our purchase. Delivery was according to what we expected. It was actually sooner. A couple days after we made a delivery inquiry we got a call that it's ready. Loving our new sectional sofa and better yet it came way in time our family Xmas celebration. Thank you all.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I accidentally broke a dish when unpacking our new Mikasa plates a few weeks ago. It slid out of the packaging with the plate I was holding, hit the floor, and shattered. I asked concierge services if it would be possible to buy a single replacement plate and Judy reached out to the vendor for me. I just got an email back saying the vendor would replace the plate at no charge! That's really above and beyond. I appreciate you all so much.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Carla ** of DirectBuy Concierge Shopping has been a fantastic in providing us requested quotes accurately and quickly. She went above and beyond by calling the requested product manufacturer directly to clear up confusion on a product order request, and then calling me directly to clarify and confirm the order. We are extremely satisfied with her support.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We got a telephone call 25 years ago from DirectBuy. It was UCC Total Home at that time. We went in for their little spiel then we signed up back then. We were members for 10 years and then another year. Then we had to sign up again and we’ve been members of it. With DirectBuy, we’ve done the kitchen, hardwood floor and carpets. I was called a merchant member back then so they gave a special rate for those who provided the service to the club members. I was a carpet installer and flooring installer for the club but we were separate contractors. They just use my name when they do their little spiel that they had contractors to refer their members to who gave them a discounted rate.

I worked for stores so I gave the DirectBuy members the same price that I give to the store. The store marks it up from there so they were getting contractor rates. The original owners of DirectBuy were great. But when they sold it to the new owners, it went downhill big time. Then the Ottawa chapter went bankrupt, and then they started it up again. We’ve always managed to renew at the time when it was reasonably priced. 1,200 bucks covers the first two years, and after that, we just pay the monthly fee of $200 which is not a big deal. But its cost has changed again recently. I heard it went up to 6,000 which is fine if we're building a house. But for the general consumer, it was out of reach and it’s not worth it. We spend $7,000 to save a $1,000.

We did a kitchen just recently, and it went well. When I ordered the product, some of it was through online and some were through a catalog. For the kitchen, we had to go and get a designer to do it all. There were a few mistakes from the designer’s part, which I wasn’t too happy about. But all in all, we saved a lot of money on our kitchens which we did just a couple of months ago.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

We went for a visit to one of the DirectBuy centers was out in Kanata then it was in 2006, two years later, when we were renovating a home that we joined. We've bought appliances, kitchens, counters, lighting, some sports stuff and mattresses. And the experience was very good. The items I've purchased are high quality too. If I didn’t belong in DirectBuy, I would have had mediocre goods with the money I spent in my last house. But I spent on DirectBuy the same amount of money that I was initially gonna spend and yet the quality of the goods was phenomenal.

I can also understand that some of the hours have changed because they have reduced work staff in the stores. I used to have a few more hours but I’m flexible on what I can do during the day so I don’t find it difficult to get in and talk to them, see what’s going on and try and figure out what I need. But we question why they keep the membership if the stores aren't there. To physically go and talk to someone and have their knowledge there is part of the membership, right? That’s what I really rely on most of the time.

I haven’t made too many orders online. In fact, 90% of my purchases are done in the store. It’s a combination of working with people in the stores which really makes the difference because not everything is in the website. It’s hard to delineate what you can and cannot get sometimes so I find the best resource is going in. Even now, the shops are smaller but still, the people there are great. They know their stuff so it makes it a lot easier to figure out what you’re looking for or what it is that’s being provided. But overall, the experience has been positive so far.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

DirectBuy is direct from the manufacturer as opposed to going strictly on the retail side and they offer a discount for merchandise. I’ve been a member for close to eight years now and in the past, my purchasing experience was excellent. But the whole franchise process has changed up and my purchasing experience of late hasn’t been too good. Everything is basically online now and it has some advantages. But it mainly has some disadvantages because you can’t really see and you don’t get an idea.

They don't have any stores in Pennsylvania now. I know they have something in Canada where you can go and sit, and they have all the catalogs that you can look through. But they don’t have that in the United States anymore and that creates an issue. You can’t just walk over to a representative and say if you've got an issue with something or ask to be directed to something. Now, you gotta do it yourself. DirectBuy also needs to have a better answering service. You can be on the line for half an hour before you get a person. And even before that, there are some instructions that take a good 10 minutes to go through in order to get put on hold. So that system they use sucks.

I’m also having serious problems with a furniture I bought recently. When it was delivered, it wasn’t able to come through the door on the room that I wanted it to go to. There was some disagreement that the furniture was supposed to be delivered and put in the garage but that wasn’t my understanding. Under no circumstances would I allow to put it in a garage because of what was agreed on by the person I was dealing with at the time. It was supposed to be delivered to the room of my choice. There was also a combination of discussions not only with DirectBuy but also with the company that they used to do the delivery of the furniture. Although I never really got a firm, “Yes, that was what was agreed to,” from DirectBuy, they took it back anyway.

We agreed that they would try to come out with a better crew to see if they could fit it in that room. But I'm under the opinion that it won’t fit. I've said that it's okay and that I'll have them put the furniture in another room that I think it would fit in. It's not what I wanted but at least it could fit. I actually wanted to downsize it but what I didn’t read was a small print that said the company Ashley has a policy that they will not accept any returns. Aside from that furniture, I've had no problem with the quality of any other items. They were all top-notch quality and the purchases I've made were of the major items. I had a complete kitchen remodeling done and that involved cabinets, a refrigerator and granite. There were also bathroom supplies and ceiling fans. One other major purchase I did was for windows and doors for our house.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

My wife and I were member back in 2008. We joined because we were redoing our entire house and wanted a state of the art kitchen, it was supposed to be the highlight of renovation. We wanted the best of everything! DirectBuy did the design, ordered the custom cabinets, and the appliances. Well cabinets are a piece of junk, they’re falling apart, paint is coming off and the company that built the cabinets moved away and disappear. We were left stranded and abandoned! DON’T JOIN!!! This company should not be in business. They’re horrible and you can do it better yourself. I rate it a BIG fat zero??? I would love to be able to show everyone how horrible my kitchen is.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

DirectBuy has lower price items so we decided to become one of their members. We've been with them for about 20 years now. We did kitchens and bathrooms projects and we purchased items from them as well as outside furniture. Their products have good quality and the purchasing experience was good too. There was a location here in London but there isn’t anymore. And now, the Mississauga and Markham are closed. So, it’s a bit too inconvenient for us to continue the membership. It’s almost a three-hour drive just to go to the showroom. It was a great opportunity, but unfortunately, without there being a location near us, I wouldn’t recommend it because it’s too hard to be able to purchase items. It’s just way too far for us.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention.  I have forwarded your information to our Escalations Department. We will be in touch as soon as possible and look forward to working with you.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I've been a member of DirectBuy for 11 years. We were doing some renovations at the time and it was economical for us to join. We've purchased household items, furniture, and carpeting and the purchasing experience was good. The cost has changed over the number of years. It’s not as convenient for me anymore. Also, the location that we had close to our home closed, so it’s a little further away for us now to attend the showroom. And I haven’t had as much renovations in the last little while. But other than that, it’s fine with DirectBuy. It's handy and it’s good to do some price comparisons. I’ve found their online platform to work really well.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

On October 27, I mistakenly ordered a stereo receiver. My intent was to hit the return key, instead I hit enter. I immediately emailed the company to cancel the order and get a refund. Still haven't received. I have spoken to their rep several times always with the same response - it has been done. I could have walked to Illinois and collected the money in the time it takes them to refund. As of today 11.24.18 I still haven't received a refund. It is getting harder and harder for me to believe this company isn't running a scam. All I can say is buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

We went to a DirectBuy introduction and I liked what we saw. I've been a member for more than 10 years now and I have purchased large appliances. When we fixed up our home in Nova Scotia prior to selling, we bought a brand new washer-dryer set. We also bought a stove, a fridge and a Surrey Down mattress topper. When we moved to Victoria and then within Victoria, we bought a new washer-dryer set for each move as well. Purchasing is easy and I always do it online as there is not a store handy. The prices of the products are really good. I highly recommend DirectBuy. They are always very helpful and my experience has always been excellent.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Unfortunately, I keep having horrible experiences with this company. I've been a member for over ten years. The services charges have skyrocketed! I purchased three couches just last week. My savings (after responding items) was only $400.00. I know it's a lot of money, but when you put waiting time into it, it's not worth it. I could have had the couches way earlier straight from manufacturer. The service charges were well over $700 including the horrific shipping charges. These costs were a lot less back in the day. No wonder they are closing stores every day. It was a great place to shop years ago. Is it worth the money today? Not sure I could answer that. Two thumbs down. Not sure if I'm going to keep my membership active. Think twice before you pay once, every year, and every purchase.

DirectBuy response

Hello Alfonse, we sincerely apologize about your experience with your DirectBuy membership. We appreciate your feedback and would like to make things right. Someone from our Escalations team will be contacting you within 24 hours to help assist with your resolution.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

We thought of renovating our kitchen and heard that DirectBuy was a way to save money. We had an invitation to come in and listen about it, and an example on how we could save was given. In 2009, we decided it would be worthwhile and renovated our kitchen. Purchasing from DirectBuy was amazing, but we didn't get the best installers. I also found it difficult when we thought of doing our bathroom and wanted to pick out everything. We went to a bathroom event, which I thought was going to be something I could get some information from and some help on renovating our bathroom, but it was more of a selling off of other products they were discounting. When you’re looking at doing a project, the installation part of having something done is a bit of a concern sometimes.

However, the experience has been better than it used to be and I like ordering online as well, but the website was not very user-friendly. Now, it’s much better than to call in and get someone to help you. We also bought flooring as well as quite a bit of furniture, which is what we’ve used DirectBuy for after the kitchen. The quality of the items has been good. I looked at what I was buying elsewhere before I bought it, so I knew what I was getting.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Crystal **, a Corporate Cabinetry Designer, was great to work with! Her designs were so nice that I hardly needed any adjustments at all! We were putting all new cabinets in our kitchen, living room, master bathroom, laundry and additional bathroom and half bath, and she made the process very trouble-free for me. She obviously knows her craft and the design software too. Crystal was knowledgeable and answered all of my questions including options that would save me money while keeping the quality I want. Thank you DirectBuy for having a great employee for me to work with!

DirectBuy response

Thank you so much for your kind words, Leslie. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us—and we agree, Crystal is truly an asset to have on our team! We are extremely fortunate to have members like you. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

DirectBuy is a great company. We've purchased lighting, cabinetry, carpeting, plumbing, sinks, electricals, bedding, pans, and many pieces of furniture from them. The experience has been very good, but we had a terrible time getting our bookcases, our last major purchase, which was in July. We were getting the wrong information from DirectBuy all the time. Finally, it was escalated and we had a supervisor step in. It got nasty for a little bit, but we had gotten it resolved and we got the furniture. I also ordered a bed set for our bedroom and it was delivered so quickly. It was a wonderful experience and the bedding is wonderful too. I’ve shared my experience with all my girlfriends down here.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Wow - what a great and easy experience! I renewed my membership, got set up online, and bought two gift memberships with a smile on my face, thanks to both the helpful service representatives! Thanks to DirectBuy!

DirectBuy response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your DirectBuy experience. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from members and use it to improve our systems and processes. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

It was in the middle of the 90s that I joined DirectBuy because of the prices and the discounts. It's probably 20 years now but in the beginning, I didn’t get a lot of things from there because in those days, the salespeople were not that nice or that good. They didn’t lend much help when I was going to those centers and leafing through catalogs. But that's changed quite a bit and they’re much better about it now. In fact, I like the purchasing experience. It is certainly easier now that they’re online. I’m doing a new building project so I’m getting a lot of stuff from DirectBuy for that, probably my whole bathroom installation. I've also purchased a lot of household things like dishes, kitchen utensils and a ceiling fan. I only go with brands that I know so I’m happy with the quality of the items I've purchased.

However, DirectBuy's website is awful. There’s only one picture of everything, which is not good, and you can’t really blow the pictures up very well. I would like a zoom feature. The searching engine on the website is not good also. For instance, I just bought a Kohler vanity and one of the accessories that you can get with it are these metal legs. Every set of legs for this vanity was sold separately because you can also hang the vanity from the wall. And it was really difficult to find these legs separately on the website. I put Kohler vanity legs and they didn’t come up. On the other hand, they really improved in the fact that they give you the whole price upfront now. They didn’t use to do that. I have recommended DirectBuy to other people but they say that they have to pay so much for DirectBuy. Indeed, when we joined, it was very expensive. I think it’s a lot easier and cheaper now though.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

We've been with DirectBuy for a long time. We could buy good quality stuff for less price. We bought beds, dressers, chairs, lighting fixtures, dishes, and stuff like that. But they should carry more baby stuff because when we became grandparents, we like to buy stuff for the grandkids. Recently I got my counter bar stools delivered and I’ve also ordered a couch. If you want good quality, then DirectBuy is the way to go. Because to buy the cheaper stuff, you can go to the store and buy it on sale. But to get the higher quality stuff, it’s better to go through DirectBuy.

DirectBuy response

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

There's only so much money we can pay for stuff. We worked through the owners of a DirectBuy franchise for many years. If we went through them, we could get better things for our money. We became members of DirectBuy back in the 80's. We just bought a house, and I knew what I was looking at for furniture. Everything I'm looking at except my wife's desk was bought through DirectBuy.

I enjoyed going to the showroom on a Saturday afternoon, sitting at a table, and looking at half a dozen catalogs of what we were looking for, to figure out which one we really wanted. We even brought tape measures so we could picture how big they were. I also enjoyed the interaction with the owners and their salespeople there, they're wonderful people and very accommodating. It was the personal experience that got us. Unfortunately, we don't have that anymore. They retired and they weren't replaced.

On the merchandise side, we're very happy with them. The last things we bought were Lenox Christmas gifts and they're very nice. We've been providing our family with Lenox holiday ware for 20 years. The drawer I bought my wife was a good bargain. I also just bought a watch for my nephew that's graduating in college this spring, and I'm paying half of what they're selling at the discount stores. Something that has a list price of 60 bucks, we can buy at The Outlets for 30 bucks, but we can get it at DirectBuy for 19 so we don't mind giving that stuff because we're paying the same amount of money, just better stuff. However, we noticed that the prices are becoming less and less of a bargain, over the recent years. We don't buy as much as we're in our 70s, so we're not in the accumulation stage of things. We don't deal with the hassles with large items from them anymore so we pay for the convenience of getting something locally.

In addition, we have to stay away from their travel organization. It's a rip-off. When they originally offered a new service, I trusted them implicitly and paid a couple thousand bucks upfront to be one of the members. But I'll never get that back. They've been jerking me around ever since. We were told that if we bought into this, we would get our money back. It was just over down payment. If I take a cruise, they use that money to deduct the certain percentage off the top.

The last time, we did all the work. We went to the cruise lines, set up everything, and then after we got what we wanted, we turned it over to DirectBuy. They saved us 150 bucks, but they didn't do the normal cruise agent things. The first cruise we took with them, they didn't pay the cruise line one time so we got kicked out of our handicapped room, and the only thing they would offer us is a substitute. We were booked into a handicapped cabin with a balcony. For the same money, they were offering us an inside handicapped cabin without discount.

They also keep calling us with vacation packages that are set up as a timeshare. They've messed us up several times and they keep calling me about these timeshare things, and I don't want to pay money to get into a timeshare. I tried to get out of it and they told me, when I started to figure, at the small fine print apparently was like two days late in trying to back out, and they wouldn't let me. Now, if I sat down with the owner over in Chichester, and talk it all through, I would've understood all this. But, that is not the way they work anymore. Other than that, although we paid extra money to get DirectBuy's concierge service, they've been very good.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I spoke with Barbara **. My questions were concerning delivery and installation of appliances I had ordered. Barbara was very pleasant to talk to and was able to answer my questions. I do find it unfortunate that DirectBuy cannot offer local services for the installation of appliances. These services used to be offered when there was a showroom in London.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I've had very good experience purchasing from DirectBuy. I mostly got household stuff including furniture, carpet, and lamps. Some furniture came that had some defects and they kept it in their showroom and called the manufacturer. The guy came and fixed it, and I went back and got it. It's getting very expensive to join, but it’s still worth it if you’re gonna buy a lot of stuff.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

We were looking to do a roof 15 years ago and I was not happy with DirectBuy's sales tactic. It was a really high pressured sales pitch and the reps said we had to do it that day, and we ended up not using them for the roof. But it has changed since then and we’ve been extremely happy with the project we’ve been doing the last two years. We did the toilets in the last house and we’ve been doing an entire house remodel, top to bottom. The toilets are huge and I love all the lamps. I’ve been using the decorator and some accessories like mirrors. We also got the area rugs most recently and we used the interior designer through them. We’ve been very happy with the cost of the products as well. I wanted high-end toilets and we were able to get them for an extremely nice price and we bought less than we could in the stores.

I’ve been using a lot of the concierge processing. The decorator or designer helps us pick things out and she gets them queued up for us. We then get sent a link on the email and then I pay for it. It’s very easy. We’ve gotten a lot of value on DirectBuy. In the past, I’ve used them for invitations too. It was a nice benefit that I got out of it. Also, I can go online and get new silverware. However, I usually like to touch and feel some of the merchandise that I’m selecting and the fact that it’s not a brick-and-mortar and not having a place to do that can be a bit challenging. But having the help of the decorator, she has picked out things that I would not have picked out ever. She knows how to do it and she knows how to find me the right prices. She has been key to making it successful for us. Some people are willing to pay more to be able to touch and feel things, but for people who are do-it-yourselfers, I would absolutely recommend DirectBuy.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I have been dealing with Direct Buy for year. I want to tell you my experience with your warehouse in Edmonton AB. They have been so helpful and efficient and I would like to send a special thanks to Reece **. Thanks again.

DirectBuy response

Beverley, thank you for taking the time to share your DirectBuy experience with others!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

DirectBuy has everything and it pays to have a big project going on. I got appliances, furniture, cabinetry, and lights, and the cost is good. The website is good too, but when they had the stores, my buying experience was better because we could just go there and see the product. Even though they're trying hard, not knowing exactly what you're getting is hard. I've been with them for 10 years. When I was remodeling a house, it made sense to become a DirectBuy member since the savings they offered was good.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We were building the house and DirectBuy seemed to be reasonable savings for us at that time. We got tiles, wood, appliances and we spent about 40k there and the experience was nice. We saved some money. We had to go to St. Louis to pick the things up and sometimes they shipped it which was very convenient. Some of those appliances were not as good quality as I wish though but, overall, DirectBuy is a very reasonable way to go.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My wife and I were invited to an open house in 2012. They made it sound that we were going to save tons of money! Really?? First we had to sign a contract and pay a cost of almost $4,000. After that there is still a yearly membership to pay in order to have access to their website. Now, they have CLOSED all the physical locations. That was a HUGE mistake, and regarding savings, I think that's a total lie. When I was looking for specific products, most of the time, they were not available at DirectBuy, and when they were able to get it the price they were asking was the price you would pay anywhere else. I found even certain items cheaper on other websites. Their answer is then that "We could open a claim for this," and that they would match the same price. We paid $4,000 for this???

On top of it when I reached out to them about that investment, they were responding that this investment were for the franchises, but they're ALL CLOSED, so where is that money? I feel that we should be reimbursed that investment money, or at least a big chunk of it. That company is a RIPOFF and I definitely would not recommend it to anybody. They don't seem to want to do anything about that. This is not the end of it.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. We will be in touch as soon as possible and look forward to working with you.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

DirectBuy's like my Amazon wherein I compare other's prices with. If I find something that I really like, I'd check if DirectBuy has it or something similar to it. I also find most things in DirectBuy at a lesser cost. But there have been equal products that I've inquired about online and found the costs less at a bathroom place. Nevertheless, their product's quality is great.

The only thing is the communication between DirectBuy and myself when I call in. We ordered tile and asked them to let us know as quickly as possible ‘cause the tile man was here and we were paying him by the hour. No one ever got back to us on that. My husband called the place himself and they said they had it. We picked it up, but it's still on my order list. That was very upsetting. But recently, I went into DirectBuy, researched what type of door I wanted for the shower, put it in my wish list, then bought a Kohler glass shower door which I’m going to need an estimate of when that thing is coming.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Since being a DirectBuy member, we've bought some beddings and made renovations for the kitchen and flooring to our two homes. It doesn’t usually take a lot of savings to pay for the membership but buying the three mattresses paid for it. And then we moved to another place in Calgary which we are currently renovating. We also have another place in BC wherein we were doing some renovations. We didn’t have any furniture in the second home that we bought in BC ‘cause we weren’t moving. We were just gonna own a retirement property and a place to go to for the summer. So, things like stuff in the kitchen and two sets of couches were quite expensive when we first had the membership.

However, ordering's a little bit more confusing nowadays cause it seems to be going more online which is a bit harder ‘cause sometimes, I don’t always know the suppliers’ names versus what they’re supplying. In the old days, we used to go to the store, go through the catalogs, and then put the order in. And then, the order would come in to the center and I’d go pick it up. But other times, I could just phone, and we would converse through emails.

On the other hand, quality’s been excellent. I do a lot of shopping in the area and I typically wouldn’t buy a couch unless I sat on it in a store somewhere. And then, I would have the information, take it back to DirectBuy and find the item, because I know the supplier's on DirectBuy’s list. So for anyone doing renos or plans to, DirectBuy's worth it. If you want to have access to different suppliers from the US, join DirectBuy because sometimes you don’t get that in Canada. Even my family members have joined. They saw what they'd get from it.

DirectBuy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for.

• Selection: Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Prices: Factory-direct discount prices. Initial membership fee can be put toward the first purchase.

• Guarantee: 30-day money-back guarantee on memberships.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs