2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

DirectBuy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

We joined DirectBuy when we were buying a bedroom set and found out we could buy it directly from them versus the company we were looking at for substantial savings. We purchased my son’s bedroom set that time and he still has it today. It’s good quality. We bought KitchenAid appliances on the house that we live in now, cabinets on a second level that we remodeled through DirectBuy, an electric fireplace, and we did some woodwork or something through them for some other project.

We recently bought another KitchenAid refrigerator and they sent a bill through their concierge service. I processed the bill and then they processed the payment. When they send the shipment through, it goes through KitchenAid’s parent company which is called Whirlpool. DirectBuy hands it off to Whirlpool and Whirlpool then has everything electronic. They called and said when they were coming to deliver and I couldn’t contact them back. If they show up and I'm not there, they give two more tries. And there's really no way of communicating with them when they show up to deliver it.

The Whirlpool situation is less than desirable because they called on a weekend and I tried to get back in touch with them. Then DirectBuy has a hard time getting in touch with them. They read off a number to you and if you don’t get it correctly or if they’re speaking slowly, it’s okay. But they speak fast or soft or the communication’s not a good connection and you don’t know what number they’re talking about and then they can’t find your order. Then they just show up and you better be there. So, that’s less than desirable.

The thing that kinda bothers us is when we joined back in 2005, we had to pay nearly $2,000. Now, the membership is like $200. Why did I have to pay so much back then and so little now? Also, they used to have local stores and that made it a lot better because you had the in-store advantage of being able to see the products. Now, everything's online and it's more difficult because if you’re gonna buy it online and spend a lot of money on it, you wanna make sure you know what you’re getting. Just a picture online and a couple of reviews don’t tell you what you need to know.

I’ve tried to communicate with DirectBuy when I’ve had concerns and they’ve made some adjustments. There has been some change from last year so that’s good. Also, they fixed the delivery problem. There used to be a stack of charges. If you order something and want it delivered, then it was like one price was for the delivery to your driveway, another price for the delivery into your house, a third price for delivery into your house to a specific room, and another price for delivery into your house to a specific room and unbox it. They don’t have that anymore. Now, they bring it into your house, set it wherever you want, and they take the packaging away.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I have been a DB member since 2005. I had a 50.00 paper discount coupon for recruiting a DB member and was awarded a 150.00 promotional discount by Victoria on July 12, 2019 when I expressed my reluctance to renew my DB membership due to recurring issues with my last few online orders. I accepted the discount offer and in good faith renewed my membership. I wanted to apply both discounts to the above purchase so decided to order by concierge to facilitate this. Unfortunately I was denied the discounts multiple times as there was no record of them as well as a claim that the 50.00 expired after 1 yr though the coupon I had clearly did not have an expiry date on it.

My profound thanks to Amy ** however who vigilantly persisted with patience and courtesy and after almost 2 hours by phone...mostly on hold and several emails she was able to obtain for me the 2 discounts and finalize my order, diffusing my growing frustration and disappointment with DB. Thank you also to Jan ** senior concierge agent. Unfortunately it required far too much of my time to see this through but in the end the acting good faith and comittment of Amy was admirable. Amy even called me back 2 days later to access my satisfaction and process my order. I told her that she could go home that day knowing that she had made a very disappointed and disillusioned customer satisfied and restored my faith in DB. Sincerely, Janice.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

We’ve been a DirectBuy member for about 12 years. We bought a house and we remodeled it with two brand-new bathrooms, and then, we built a house, still owning the previous house. We thought we could save a lot of money with these bathrooms. We could get high-quality materials and not pay high-quality prices. The quality of the products we've received from DirectBuy is outstanding.

We’ve not been so pleased lately because they got rid of all their showrooms. We like to see and touch and get a better feel for things we’re doing. And now, we’re kinda stuck doing that on the internet. And I don’t think they have all the products that they offer on the internet because that would just be a Herculean task. Another thing is the manufacturers that they represent, some of them stay for the long-haul, but a lot of them, you buy one you really like, and then, you check back with them a year later, and they don’t offer that manufacturer anymore. And that can be a little frustrating.

We recently bought a bed and a frame for another house we bought in Florida. We were told that the delivery of both of them would be four to six weeks. So, they have a tendency, which is a good practice, to under-commit and over-deliver. I think it is a good thing. But the problem is, in this case, we really expected the frame to come before the bed. The bed came before the frame, and the bed had white glove delivery. So, we really couldn’t have a delivery until the frame got there. And we kinda got a nasty letter from DirectBuy saying, “Hey, the company has been holding onto this mattress for a month, and they need to deliver it.”

We ordered the frame a week before we ordered the bed. And it was a little frustrating because we were waiting and waiting for the frame. I could’ve bought the frame on Amazon and had it there in two days. But I decided to buy it from DirectBuy instead, which probably was a mistake. Another thing that was interesting was it was cheaper on Amazon than DirectBuy, which was kind of a rare occurrence. I give DirectBuy credit because they did credit me the difference, which was nice. I didn’t expect that.

There's one thing that really frustrates me. When we first joined, they took American Express for the membership fee. And then, they stopped taking American Express and they only took Visa. Then, a couple years ago, they started taking American Express again, which I was thrilled with. But a couple of months ago, before we made this purchase with the mattress and the box springs, they stopped taking it, and it’s frustrating. I really like to use American Express wherever possible because we get points, and we travel a lot, and we use these points for traveling.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I went for one of the presentations of DirectBuy in Baton Rouge and then, I decided to join. I’ve been a member for 14 years and I’ve bought furniture, flooring tile, a bedspread, carpeting and paint through the paint company using my membership. The purchasing experience itself has been great and everything that I ordered came before the actual time that they told me I would get it. DirectBuy has added some more high-end furniture pieces on their website and that’s good because I’ve had my eye on something and every once in a while, I’d go to the website and see if maybe they added it in. One time, they did, and it was the end of October when I ordered a sofa and an ottoman to go with it. They told me I wouldn’t have it before Christmas but it came on Christmas week. So, I was delighted. I had it for Christmas time.

The quality has been very good and wonderful. I got carpeting to redo one of my houses and everybody was asking where I got it. I had a carpet guy locally install it and he said that he has never seen anything that nice before. I know that I got a good price because I kinda priced it out as to what it would’ve been if I had to pay retail for it. I saw high-end chairs in Alabama, and I came back home, got the numbers and looked it up and DirectBuy had it. I got two chairs for the price of what it would cost me to get one. The prices were very good. I don’t have any complaints and the reps seemed to be very helpful. DirectBuy has improved a little bit and I just hate I don’t have the store that I can go to but I’m still able to get on the website and ask questions.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I was doing a renovation project and my contractor supplied me with his price and the availability on custom-made windows. Then, I saw an advertisement on television about DirectBuy, and so I went to their store and said, “Okay. Sell me on this. Here is what I’m planning on doing. Tell me how you could do it better.” On my original purchase, I saved $12,000 just on the windows. So, it was worth the cost to join because I saved three times. It was pretty much a no-brainer at that point. It was like free money. Also, it turned out that the windows came from the exact same manufacturer that I was quoted a much higher price.

I have been to two of their stores. Our location is one that was originally in Kingston, Ontario and then one in Ottawa. Because we do not have a store in my hometown, I talk to representatives via email and I have never had a difficulty. I searched through the website for something that I want, I send them the SKU number and ask them about the price, availability, delivery, the charges, as well as to ask them to get back to me within 24 hours. Very easily, I have not left my desk.

I, however, would like to see delivery being moved up a little bit, but I can understand that that can be difficult. Not every company is in the same situation where they have stockpiles of things. Sometimes the order goes in, it has to be manufactured, and then it is delivered. Overall, I have not once had a complaint of any purchase that I have gotten. You have planned for it because it is not like you go drive, get your car, and go pick it up because sometimes there is a waiting period, two to three weeks or more. But as long as your willing to do that and plan ahead, so far, it has been very much worth the money.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I've been a DirectBuy customer for a few years. Watched them close their local catalogue centers. I have saved money on purchases through including office furniture, appliances and a couch. Some items I purchased needed warranty work. DirectBuy sent me instructions on how to ship my items directly to the manufacturer. When the repairs were complete, DirectBuy sent the items to the wrong address. So my repaired item has been sitting in a warehouse for two months. DirectBuy states they are working on getting it to me. The delivery company is saying they have no change orders from DirectBuy and cannot ship the item till DirectBuy pays for it. In the meantime, DirectBuy does not answer emails and phone calls get nowhere. I requested to speak to anyone in a supervisor or management role. Amazingly, no one can put any of those people on the phone.

I was just asked to renew my membership with DirectBuy. I can't renew with such terrible customer service. I don't know if people are overworked, just don't care, or a combination of the two. Bottom line is that is if this is the way things are going with DirectBuy I would not recommend anyone take a membership. It will just be money you are going to lose.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I had purchased numerous lights on DirectBuy website. Every time I checked out the they would charge the price of the item + tax with statement of ZERO shipping charge + Zero service charge. Now I noticed that they adjust the amount charge the next day or so to almost ONE THIRD of the charges. I called and asked how they can add onto the charges, and they state they apologize, but they do not know the shipping charge till know zip code. I informed them that many sites have a zip code shipping calculator on their check out site, but still, why do they still state ZERO for delivery charge when they are going to add it later, as well as, a handling charge. They NEVER indicate on checkout that there will be additional charges.

This is truly a misrepresentation of charges at check out and leads the customer to believe they have a certain charge amount; however, they are going to add an additional one third for shipping and handling. You pay an annual fee + paid $5,500 to join. This is a scam. You can get most of these items cheaper on other websites with free shipping and no handling fees. Why have cheaper prices then charge handling and shipping which will equal most website charges. Customer service is of no help!! I cannot see how this is legal to add additional charges later after you only authorized the charges you placed on checkout on their website.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Every order...never once arrive on time...give you a date...and then doesn't arrive... Delayed 2 weeks...then doesn't arrive...delayed again...sure blame COVID...that's the easy thing to do. No wonder this company went outta business already. LAAAAME!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I am surprised that this company is not out of business yet. The complete lack of organization and non-existent customer service makes any purchase both frustrating and painful. Once you are trapped into joining 'The Club' then you tolerate the poor system and services to try to recover your initial outlay. I purchased an Espresso Machine through their online portal. It was suppose to have a 2-4 week delivery. It is now over 2 months and I cannot get an answer on a delivery date. I keep reaching out and cannot get a reply. I guess I will see how long it takes for a refund!!! Yes, prices are good for the limited choices of products they have access to. However, if you shop you can find sale prices online for the same or similar products that are very close....the difference is that the other retailers will communicate and deliver in a timely manner. If you're stuck like me, keep your fingers cross that it will get better.

Original review: July 27, 2020

I have been tracking an item that has been in my City for almost two weeks. I am guaranteed a delivery and it never happens. You must call customer service to track every shipment as your account is NEVER updated online. They delivery dates are just a guess... Shipment is never confirmed... People answering the phone have no idea what they are doing and it takes them weeks to get your refund (if they allow it). I have items in my account that I have had in my possession for over a year and it still says "call for status". The frustration and follow up required are not worth the savings.

DirectBuy author review by ConsumerAffairs

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for.

• Selection: Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Prices: Factory-direct discount prices. Initial membership fee can be put toward the first purchase.

• Guarantee: 30-day money-back guarantee on memberships.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team