Call toll free
4.30/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Gallery (4)
View More View More

1401 DirectBuy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 12, 2019

Angela ** was an excellent representative. She answered all my questions completely and researched the product I wanted and was able to get us the best price available. I really appreciate her responsiveness and hard work.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I first investigated DirectBuy because we were going to be moving into a new home in Tennessee. I was gonna need appliances and things like that. I've been with DirectBuy for eight years and I've purchased lots of appliances, lots of rugs, fixtures, a little bit of furniture and lamps. It has been easy to purchase. They used to have the showroom which I dearly loved. I'm not as keen on just using the internet and that has always been very helpful. But they have a lot of high-end, quality things, and some of them are a little too expensive for what I can afford. So, it would be nice if there was some more moderately priced items.

They also had cut down on the amount building materials. They used to have more dealers for if you wanted to put in an addition onto your house or things like doors, windows, decking materials and things like that. I wish that they have more of that. They're more now into just the consumer goods. I wanna replace the windows in our second home in Florida, and I would have gladly used DirectBuy for that, but they don't have a dealer. Nevertheless, if you're in a market for some big buys, meaning that you're moving into a new house, you're remodeling, you're doing big projects, it's well worth the membership.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Angela ** went above and beyond to help me with an order this week. I cannot say thank you enough. She made the process very easy and was great to work with. Her follow up and follow through was great as well. Very impressed and very pleased! Thank you Angela and Direct Buy!

DirectBuy response

Thank you so much for your kind words, Rick. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us—and we agree, Angela is truly an asset to have on our team! We are extremely fortunate to have members like you. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Looking for price per sq. ft.on all items, or price per price if that's the way goes, if that's the way need the size of the price. When I get the proper figures I will look at what I will want to buy and do the sq. ft. needed.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I was planning renovations and I wanted to use DirectBuy for our upcoming purchases. I just joined in January and their searching tool seems fairly easy to use. I would recommend them.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your DirectBuy experience. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from members and use it to improve our systems and processes. We look forward to working with you in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: March 29, 2019

Barbara ** assisted us today with our order. She was extremely helpful. Our communications got disrupted a couple of times and she was prompt in phoning back. She was friendly and very thorough. I would happily work with her in the future.

Original review: March 29, 2019

We were thinking of building a big addition to our house, which was the main reason we decided to join DirectBuy in 2009. At that time, we paid 5,000 to join. That was a lot of money that we didn't really have but we thought we could save way more. All their products are high-end. We've bought a dishwasher and chlorine. We also bought a stove. We've only had it for five months and the oven had gone all haywire. We aren't very happy that we had to call it in already, but we couldn't be happier with the experience. One of our sons also did quite a bit of purchasing, but he is in a different city, he bought a fridge, bedroom furniture, and living room furniture. They also bought two wall ovens within the last few months. He's now a member himself though. DirectBuy did that thing last December, where family can join at a reduced rate. We've been recommending them to others.

Original review: March 28, 2019

We were DirectBuy members for six years. With the membership, we purchased mostly appliances and that was where we saved a bit. But then we let the membership run out because we noticed that for a lot of things that we were doing, there were no big savings. There are some things that work so good, but there are other things that are not as good. Nevertheless, we were happy with our experience with DirectBuy.

Original review: March 27, 2019

We drove by the local DirectBuy franchise and decided to check it out. The potential savings on all types of product made us join. We've been members for 8 years and have done some home remodeling as well as purchased some furniture. The products are of top quality. At first, we could do a lot online. But now, the concierge service is very helpful. They could do a lot of the legwork for you, check out the pricing, and then help get your orders in.

DirectBuy has been a great value to us. Now that we’re beyond our original membership fee, we’re paying on an annual basis and we get quite a bit of savings compared to what we pay. Right now, we’re securing a lot of materials and appliances for a new home we’re building. We’re looking forward to getting some substantial savings on all aspects of our new house. But I’d say tell others to really look at whether or not they would use it that much before making a decision. They’d have to really look at what they’ve got planned in the next several years and decide whether or not joining makes any sense.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I was very pleased with the attention, service and resolve to my online order. Barbara ** was quite patient and informative with the process of my order, and strived to ensure that I was fully satisfied from start to finish. Thank you!

Original review: March 26, 2019

Being members of DirectBuy, we are able to have large savings on our purchases of all kinds of products. Over the years, our purchases include appliances, furniture, blinds, a TV and some faucets. We've always purchased good quality as we'd rather spend a little more and get a better quality product rather than skimp and save. However, we got a king size mattress that has got a bit of a hump in the metals, so my wife is working on that right now with DirectBuy. Other than that, we've had no issues with the products that we've purchased.

Original review: March 25, 2019

We've been DirectBuy members since 1999 when we came across them at the Toronto Home Show. We were building a house and I could see that the savings just from what we were buying for the house would more than cover the membership, which sold us on it. The purchasing experience has gotten a lot better. We used to have to drive to the showroom in Mississauga, then drive to order, and then drive back to pick up. Now we can do most things online and that they, in most cases, have the option of home delivery. However, until recently, when you wanna get specific information on an item on their website and click on it, somehow the link would take you to a different product. I think they've corrected that in their recent revamp, but I was surprised how long that problem existed.

We've had a built-in Weber barbecue, which would have cost me $3,000 retail. I was able to get it for $2,000. We've also bought televisions, toilets, and a number of other things at significant savings. The products, which are brand names, have always had excellent quality. One of the few items we've ever had an issue with was a refrigerator that came dented. However, we were able to send it back and they replaced it with another one. I would recommend DirectBuy for the significant cost benefit to membership. Plus, if there is a product from a specific manufacturer that I couldn't find, they would contact the manufacturer to get me the information on the price of what I am looking for.

Original review: March 24, 2019

We've been DirectBuy members since 2004. We had a lot of things we were doing then, which made us decide to join. Our purchasing experience has been very good. In the previous house we had, we did a whole kitchen, which turned out amazing. We also bought vanities, which were beautiful. We also bought a lot of lighting and a lot of tiles. We are perfectly happy with the items that we've bought. We liked the showrooms, but they closed the showrooms down. There are major sales online and you can find things. Joining to buy a light fixture wouldn't be worth it, but when you're doing a lot of renovations and remodeling, then joining is definitely a good choice and worth it.

Original review: March 23, 2019

We’ve been DirectBuy members for about six years. When we first visited the Brighton store, it was really close to our house because it was only 30 minutes away. We liked the convenience of it being so close, that I could go look at things at the store. We did a kitchen with them and that was good. We got appliances, cabinets and a washer and dryer the quality of the items was good. Also, a lot of times, the cost was good because it was comparable for when things are on sale at other places. When I needed it, they had it at that price point and I didn’t have to wait for a sale at Lowe’s, Home Depot or Sears.

Later though, they closed down most of the showrooms. Our nearest one is about two hours away in Troy and it’s not convenient for us now. Also, their website is not as user-friendly and now that they don’t have the showroom, it’s not as nice because I don’t get to see the product. I’m more of a visual person and I like to see things before I buy them. If you have a big project to do, it’s a great thing. But, if you just want to save a little on just an appliance, then DirectBuy is not the best deal.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I was investigating some products and when speaking to a couple of friends, they advised that it would be cheaper if I bought through DirectBuy. When I did the math, it made sense. We bought some appliances through DirectBuy. I have attempted to buy other products but the ability to search on their website was terrible. If I am looking for a simple TV stand, I will go online and I’d turn those search criteria and I get thousands of products -- I don’t have the time nor the desire to go through thousands of products. I wanna narrow it down as most other websites do. For example, my wife has a membership through Wayfair and it’s a far better user-experience to search and narrow items down than using the DirectBuy service. This deters me.

I’ve got lots of other products to buy but I can’t find them online. DirectBuy needs to improve the ability to search and narrow items down. They may have millions of products but if I cannot find them, then I’m not gonna buy. Another example, I was searching for bathroom vanities and I would get everything from mattresses to TV stands to desks. I would get everything. Their search function just does not work.

Original review: March 21, 2019

My husband knew about DirectBuy beforehand and he had heard about all of the great value. We've been members for five years now, and one of the things I don't like about the website is that it doesn't necessarily take you back to where you were, and you start at the beginning of the page. Also, the app isn't user-friendly so I don't use it. Nevertheless, when shopping on there, I like that you can get the price and see what the product is, and have a rough idea of what's out there from what you have.

We've got a lot of little projects that are about to start up. We're starting a bathroom project, and we got a loveseat for the den. I'm also going to paint our living room and change all of the furniture there. I've already tentatively picked out what I've got from DirectBuy. My induction stove is the absolute best quality and I love it. However, the loveseat that I just bought had a mark that says "power" and it came with no power, so I contacted customer service. They were able to help me figure that out, and I am very happy with what the end result was.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I would like to say "Thank you so much" to my agent Kimberly who resolved issues with damaged furniture during delivery. She sent me multiple emails with questions, confirmations, with a lot of details! She is very kind and concerns about customers satisfaction! Thanks, Kimberly!

DirectBuy response

Thank you so much for your kind words, Elvis. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us—and we agree, Kimberly is truly an asset to have on our team! We are extremely fortunate to have members like you. We look forward to working with you again in the future.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I've been a member of DirectBuy for over 15 years and I've purchased mainly furniture, bedding, beds, and couches. The quality of the products that I've received so far is very good. I go for the manufacturers that I have constantly used and Ashley is one of my top manufacturers. The cost is also good that is why I committed much money in the membership fee in the first place. It has been worth my while. I've recommended some of my friends and clients there and they are good about it.

DirectBuy response

Julius, we're delighted to read your feedback about DirectBuy! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the best shopping experience to all of our members.

Original review: March 19, 2019

My mom used to be a member of DirectBuy, and I've dealt with them and helping her out that way. I myself have just signed up with them, but I've looked some things up. I've also emailed the customer service rep there who was helping me, and she was awesome. She responded right away and she did great. When my mom purchased from there, it was a great experience as well.

Original review: March 18, 2019

We’ve been members of DirectBuy for about 20 years. We always knew we were gonna build another house and thought joining DirectBuy would be a good idea. It was very expensive though. I purchased everything that went into the house -- furniture, appliances, floors, and tiles. The purchasing experience was great. The quality of the products has been great too. I am very happy that you can buy stuff online now. Going through all those catalogs was a pain in the butt. I would tell others that if the cost of joining is reasonable, then join DirectBuy.

Original review: March 17, 2019

We were building a house and we decided to become a member of DirectBuy. We've been with them for six years now and we've purchased a lot of building materials and bathroom fixtures from them. We also bought some furniture. Their purchase process works really well and it's simple. We go shopping online, then emailing our order and confirming it. We’ve been very happy with DirectBuy and we like the value that we get. And I usually say that if there’s a big project going on, a DirectBuy membership is a good investment.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I’ve been with DirectBuy for a long, long time and the membership has paid for itself. Although I bought it at a different price point, I’ve told most of my friends over the years that I get the best deals. When I bought a new house and had to furnish it, I bought a lot of furniture from DirectBuy. My purchasing experience was excellent. The people are very nice and professional. They helped me out through the year. Plus, the quality of the products has been excellent. DirectBuy should try to shorten the time from order to delivery though.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Our first purchase through DirectBuy was an electric reading chair from a Canadian manufacturer. The quality of the product is very good and I was very satisfied with it. We purchased an item from Sears and DirectBuy Canada got our information from Sears and contacted us by email. They made an arrangement that they would agree to honor the expired warranty as long as we are members of DirectBuy, so we chose to follow that. We've been a member for one year now and purchased several things. We purchased a green chair and new doors.

We also purchased kitchen stuff through the arrangement with Kitchen Craft. What really pushed us over the edge was the help we received in arranging for our kitchen. These were the second and third orders we made and we got very good help. We did this space and placed these items, and we had contact with someone that was helping with claims with Kitchen Craft orders. We got very good advice and we’re very satisfied. The person who was helping us changed and we ended up with a different person the first two times, but we were very satisfied both times. Our purchasing experience with DirectBuy was very easy and very good. We really liked the professional that was in the store to help us order and we were very satisfied with the parts. So far, the quality and the cost of the items that we received are very good. The experience was positive overall and we chose to renew our membership with DirectBuy.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I found an image of a sofa set with no name, or SKU... just a Vendor. Barbara ** (I think) from concierge, found my couches! She contacted the vendor, got me pricing and product info... AMAZING! Thank you so much Barbara!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I have been critical with all of the changes at DB as of late -- no showrooms, extra fees (dual shipping charges), hidden pricing (all-in-one) to name a few. Carla ** is the best representative I've had the pleasure of speaking with in, well, years really. She is courteous, affable, and knowledgeable; what a veritable breath of fresh air! Hopefully DB can turn things around and make being a member enjoyable and once again valuable. Carla believes things will come around again, and with representatives like her by your side, DB has a fighting chance. Thank you Carla!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I agree 100% with Lori from MN. We have been members since 1010 and did love it. We built two houses and saved a bundle. However, we have not been using DB for much lately. Quite frankly, if you look, you will find prices cheaper elsewhere. I have had the exact same experience with Moen. And what led me to write this review is an American Standard whirlpool tub. We never used to have to worry about price shopping. If you could get from DB, that was it. But we ORDERED this tub from Home Depot for $18 less than what DB could sell it for.

A few months back, we purchased a washing machine from Best Buy for $230 less than DB’s price. I complained to DB and they told me that I should have contacted them and used my "guaranteed Low Price" benefit. Basically, informing me that our DB price now has to be negotiated. So for this tub, I found the online price. I informed DB that I found the tub cheaper and sent them a screenshot of the item. At this time, Home Depot's price was about $100 less than DB. 3 days after my inquiry I received an email that they received my request, and would see what they could do. 2 days after that, they offered me an $80 price reduction, for a total just above Home Depot.

I informed them that I would be buying from Home Depot. They sent an apology email and sent a copy and paste response that DB members are all familiar with about how big box stores will frequently sell items at or below cost to remove inventory or sell outdated models. The tub I bought was at an everyday price and only available by special order. DB has lost its value in today’s age where major department stores apparently sell merchandise below cost. Believe it or not, it sickens me to come to the reality that we are leaving DB because they were once very well appreciated. But next February will mark the end of our membership. It’s unfortunate that my wife and I can’t even justify a $200 annual investment with this company anymore.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention.  I have forwarded your information to our Escalations Department. We will be in touch as soon as possible and look forward to working with you.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I bought my DirectBuy membership in Waterloo. After some time, they closed that location down and they transferred me to Hamilton. That location closed down as well after some time and so they transferred me to Mississauga. Now, they've closed down that location as well. It has made it challenging for me in the sense that I have to go in and look through the books and have a one-on-one conversation with the designers or people who can walk me through the products. I can look online but I am a people person and I prefer to deal with people face-to-face. I have bought paint, hardwood, carpet and some furniture from DirectBuy. I've had some issues, but those got ironed out. Their staff has done an excellent job.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have been a member of DirectBuy since 2012. I was remodeling a house back then. I needed appliances and so becoming a member at DirectBuy was the logical thing to do. I have done kitchen and bathroom projects using my membership. All the items I have gotten were major name brands and the quality of the products has been good. I've had a good experience with DirectBuy but the only ways that the interaction with them could have improved were in regards to the showroom that we used to have in town. It’s actually better to deal with the web customer service than it was dealing with the showroom. But I will continue to renew my DirectBuy membership and continue to buy stuff from them. It is expensive upfront but if you're going to actually use it, it's totally worth it. It's a straightforward process. They’re not for everybody, but in my situation, it’s ideal.

Original review: March 6, 2019

We have been members for over 10 years. We loved the DirectBuy concept when we joined. We tend to buy homes, fix them up, live in them a few years and move. We have ordered everything from silverware to siding. We have always gotten great quality for our money and an easy order/delivery process. Now there is little help in shopping. Basically tell us what you need and we will order. Thankfully we live near a distribution center so we can pick items up and not pay the inflated prices for delivery with a company that is horrible to deal with. Now you are required to price shop. Example: We have bought plumbing fixtures for 5 homes. We have always been sold the highest quality products, which is what Direct Buy promises. No big box, cheap faucets.

I recently ordered 3 bath faucets. When the plumber was installing them he told me to make sure the shower fixtures were not the cheap quality of the faucets! I paid $170 per faucet! He showed me the plastic parts which is the quality of big box stores for much less $$. I called Dbuy and they said I should not have been sold lesser quality. They would research and get back to me. Moen's response was that the consumer needs to read the description of what they are buying to make sure it is what they want. Now I need to be educated in materials used. I then Googles the item number to look at the description and it is an exclusive item to Lowe's and sells for $119!! Dbuy's response to this was that Moen made an exception and sold them to me. As for the price markup, I was told that I am now responsible for price shopping before I go to Dbuy to order items. Are you kidding me!!??? Won't be renewing my membership!!

DirectBuy response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Lori. We apologize for your recent purchase experience and would like to assist you. We'll reach out privately to begin resolving this issue with your recent purchase.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I had to buy so much stuff for the house so I signed up with DirectBuy less than a year ago. I like having the credit so that the whole fee wasn't written off, their merchandise credit and their pricing. They had a 30-day money back if we decided against it. I've done home renovations so I've purchased all the fixtures, faucets and sinks through DirectBuy. The quality of the products were of very good value. They were exactly what you'd get in the store. So, I'm very happy.

Their website could be a bit better for searching things though. There's so much on there and the search is not sensitive enough. If you put white things you still end up getting all the different colors. If they had more filters that would restrict the search, it would be helpful. You could search for a lamp by color and not just the branding. But if you have a style number, the site is very easy to use. I would definitely recommend DirectBuy.

DirectBuy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DirectBuy is a membership online furniture store that uses concierge-style consultants to make sure you find exactly what you’re looking for.

• Selection: Shop hundreds of brands for accent, bedroom, home entertainment, home office, infant and living room furniture. Additionally, you can browse multiple brands of appliances, electronics, flooring and more.

• Prices: Factory-direct discount prices. Initial membership fee can be put toward the first purchase.

• Guarantee: 30-day money-back guarantee on memberships.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs