4.60/5
  • 1 star
Based on 369 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 6, 2017

733 DirectBuy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Misti ** has the Service rep I have been working with for the past week on my order "The Wall of Thought". She was able to get the order to us ahead of schedule. After the order was delivered and the box was opened it was discovered that there was damage to one of the figurines. She was extremely helpful in resolving the problem. I would recommend to anyone to go thru DirectBuy based on the customer service. Misti did a excellent job and you should take her out for lunch... for a week.

We have never had any problems with the items we have bought thru DirectBuy. It is unfortunate that this item have problems. Not only was there damage but one of the figurines that was damaged had incomplete paint to the top on its head. Each figurine had the silver magnet visible. I was able to fix the damaged figurines, Paint the top of the head, and paint the silver that showed thru on all the figurines. The magnets was not one of the items I told Misti. This was something I would have expected a Manufacture to take care of during the process.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I had the pleasure of chatting online with Lauren today regarding manufacturer availability and pricing. She was super attentive, friendly and helpful. Her professionalism and warmth shined through as she promptly addressed all of my concerns and opened a pricing ticket for me as well as answering many of my questions on hand immediately. Excellent customer service. I am quite pleased and will be shopping with you more! Keep up the great work and outstanding pricing.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I had reservations about the changes in DirectBuy since joining in the late '90s. Over the last week I have had several questions regarding products and delivery options and have received responses in 24 hours or less. All information has been provided and explained. I am reserving commentary on ordering furniture and custom window treatments. But so far, appliances and lighting have been excellent.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Lloyd Flanders chaise lounges - Leasha was absolutely amazing! She contacted the mfrg for me, asked all the important questions, got a print out of the actual dimensions, gave me a price and compared it to Pelican Reef. These are the chairs I will eventually buy if you have them on Club Exclusives in the spring. They are too expensive to sit around doing nothing for the entire winter.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

We have been DirectBuy members for 14 years. Originally, my brother was a member and then my brother-in-law. I thought I could probably save some money so we became members. Back then, you had to pay $5,000 and nobody else could use your membership. You couldn't buy for family so it sucked. I have made a lot of appliance purchases and recently, I spent $30,000 but I'm not very happy with some of their policies.

We're having a place built and the developers keep pushing our time back. I've got most of the appliances stored elsewhere but I have run out of storage room. So now DirectBuy is charging me for storage while it's at the warehouse until I can pick it up which sucks. I have been out to the storage place and they said they've got lots of room but they have no control over what DirectBuy wants to do and if they want to charge me $40. For the amount we spent, it should be gratuitous.

The purchasing experience was a lot better when they had a warehouse out here and a showroom. But the product place was closed in our city and now, it's all online but the experience is still good. As far as quality goes, what we purchase is our choice and because I research what I buy, I know the quality is going to be good. The only confusing part of it is the concierge shopping part of it. Some items say "can't be ordered online" so you have to phone them.

Plus when you first click on an item online, you can view the costs but when you go to check the item out, they add all of their expenses. So it would be better if we actually saw, at least with their expenses on, what an item is going to cost, rather than having to go through all the way to the checkout and find out it's not such a good deal because they're putting 500 extra dollars on it. They say it's shipping and handling so there is a warehouse cost but they've obviously got to make money. I'd also like to see more varieties of suppliers on board. Still, I would tell others to join DirectBuy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

We've been members of DirectBuy for 10 years now. We were getting started to build a cottage and we decided the membership would come in useful to purchase stuff for our build. For the most part, buying from them was excellent. But the last time I bought from them wasn't as good because they kind of forgot about me. I ordered a stove and paid for it. I called three weeks after to see where it was and they kept telling me that it was going to be shipped. And then they told me that they didn't have the stove anymore so they had to get in touch with the supplier and to do a different stove that was comparable. It took another two weeks after that and I was without a stove for five weeks. But overall, it's been a good experience and I've referred DirectBuy to other people and we have friends who joined because of us.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I asked for a price for OXO On Barista Brain 9 Cup coffee maker on a brand you use and was told you could not get it. I was given a list of brands that you carry and they do not meet the standards of my request. I originally joined because of the promises made for every kind of thing I could imagine purchasing, once again I am left with a poor opinion of what should have been a great investment in my future.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your DirectBuy membership. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from members and are committed to turning your experience into a positive one moving forward. The concerns regarding your membership that were documented on your ConsumerAffairs review have been turned over to our Escalations Department to address. We will be in touch as soon as possible and look forward to working with you.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

My husband and I attended a sales pitch at the DirectBuy showroom in our area. We were shown products, product catalogues, there was a wall of fabric samples for furniture, a large area of tile samples, another area of hardwood flooring, as well as kitchen and bathroom cabinetry, appliances, lighting, etc. We spent over $4000.00 to purchase a membership as we were beginning renovations on our home. Then the showroom abruptly closed under rumour of wrong-doing. Now all we have is an extremely expensive membership to... on-line shopping. No samples to see actually colours or to feel the actual quality. No ability to take those samples home to see how they actually go with other fixtures and furnishings.

On-line shopping is NOT what we paid thousands of dollars for. Especially given the numerous issues with trying to make a purchase. Add to that the exorbitant shipping and handling charges. Large items are shipped to the warehouse of a local moving company, and that's an added $50.00. And worse... I recently went to purchase a men's watch. The price was $125.00. I added it to my cart. It appeared in my cart at $185.00, plus $60.00 shipping and handling ($50.00 of that going to the moving company!!!). When I emailed to question this, I received an email thanking me for bringing this to their attention, that it should be "$15 freight and $10 shipping" bring the watch to $150 before tax, and telling me to await further instruction. I waited.

First, the watch was corrected to $125.00, but the shipping was still $60.00. I waited longer. Now the shipping and handling is $34.92 (not $25 as quoted) BUT WORSE, the watch is now $174.60!!! I feel totally scammed by DirectBuy, and wish we had NEVER paid all those thousands of dollars. We feel locked into paying the annual membership renewal fee as we paid the thousands... and that's a loss if we let the membership go. In my opinion, if you're thinking about it, think again.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention.  I have forwarded your information to our Escalations Department. We will be in touch as soon as possible and look forward to working with you.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Ticket number is order number. Phoned Valarie as unable to change location of Direct Buy unit for delivery. Valarie explained the process and outlined a solution. When she was able to expedite the process faster than originally thought, she sent an email back to me so I could process my order quickly. Great service and follow up.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I was building a house and needed a lot of less expensive stuff than retail so I got a membership with DirectBuy and I’ve been with them for eight years now. I purchased for living rooms, dining rooms, and bedrooms projects, and bought chairs, blinds, and bedroom suites. DirectBuy will work well if one is a planner and isn’t used to just going out and buying what they saw Saturday morning at the mall. If one expects to get straight out of the catalog and delivered to their home by Tuesday, they’ll be awfully disappointed. The ability to order and expect a decent delivery requires a lot of planning and one's got to estimate the construction project. In terms of the quality, they’re the best I can buy so far. I experienced good product, people, and value with DirectBuy.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Emma in Customer Service did a great job of helping to resolve a few minor problems with the furniture that I bought. She kept me informed, followed up with the vendor, told me exactly what she needed to support my request, and followed through with paying for the repair. It was excellent service.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

We had issues with our bedroom set **. Emma Merchandise Specialist at DirectBuy 8450 Broadway | Merrillville, IN 46410 helped us replace the pieces that were not working. Emma did a fantastic job taking care of us.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

The first lady was very helpful and passed me on to the correct department where Barbara ** was able to solve my problem and complete my order for me, sending it to the address I wished it to go. They both were a great help. Merry Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Paid over 3000 dollars for membership that I rarely use. The shipping cost, especially on big products, cost almost as much (if not more), as the product itself. So really you do not have much of a savings after shipping cost. Horrible customer service and will not honor what the clubs said they would do when you first sign up. Even with a signed agreement. Very big scam! Do not waste your money!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

The customer care person was one of the most informed and affable persons I have spoken with for a very long time. Congratulations on your hire. It is just one reason I continue my membership with Direct Buy.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

The reason for my call to is to adjust and order and check on a gift membership for my daughter and son-in-law. Steve, the DirectBuy person was very courteous and supportive of my needs to correct my order and to follow up on the possibility of a gift membership. The was professional, supportive and accurate. All that I needed during this call. Good Job Steve!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

What I was told and what happens are very different. Jeremy at DirectBuy escalations was timely and considerate but, an escalation of my complaint was a waste of both his time and mine. The travel person simply said I was wrong and even if the salesman told me one thing it was not the policy. When I pointed out that their hotel specials were more expensive and less flexible than the hotel website, she said I would get credit for the difference if I booked thru them. My $2000 joining fee paid for my 2 vacations -- a fair price, not a great one. After my original complaint they allowed me to book one of their quarterly deals but, I will have to pay another $1800 to be able to book a "deal" for the next to years -- Not much of a deal??

As for the furniture and wares-- I would belong forever, if, there was still a center to order from and local warehouse. Even before the centers were closed-- my order problems were handled promptly and efficiently -- esp when trying to go through the concierge was a NIGHTMARE without any resolution. I will be using all social media possible to spread the problems I have had with travel so, other may avoid this nightmare.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I placed an order on 11/1/17 and inquired about an additional piece to order. I never had a response and made a second inquiry, again no response. Today I used the online chat person and was able to inquire again. The person who assisted me was very helpful and has put another inquiry in regarding the item I want with the concierge service. I hope to hear asap.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

We were interested in a sectional, but needed to know what colors it came in. The Live Chat agent Brianne was very professional and answered all our questions. We've been members for many years and have always had great service.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I've been a DirectBuy member for more than 20 years. I liked their pricing and we were moving and building a new house so there were a lot of things that we could use it for. And also, the down payment was much lower than it is today. I've purchased mostly furniture, appliances, kitchen cabinets, countertops, granite countertops, and a lot of tiles from them.

Their website leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't give you a lot of information on the product. My dealings with the concierge people have been positive and they're very helpful, but I like to investigate a lot of things and it's very hard to do it with them. I'd prefer the club experience. And in my opinion, it was much better when they had the club that you could go to with books, and whatever time you wanted. We have one very local to us, and it was very easy to stop in and spend an hour looking at stuff and try to figure out what you want. And the people in the club are very helpful and seemed to know a lot. Also, a lot of products that were on the books are not on DirectBuy's website. And when you find the product on the website, it doesn't tell you a damn thing about it. So, you always have to go the manufacturer's website to try to dig through everything.

I would always buy name-brand products, so the quality of the products I've gotten was not a problem. But there were two Drexel Heritage couches that we bought from them and in five years, they've completely fallen apart. And we bought a five-year insurance policy. And then, when we turned all the information over to them and sent them a ton of pictures and descriptions, they said it was all normal wear and tear. None of it was covered and they left it at that. They wouldn't even send anybody out to look at them. So, it was a very disappointing experience. If somebody comes out and looks at it, I can't believe they'd consider it normal wear and tear. I have to call them back and discuss it further with them because I couldn't believe what happened to them is normal wear and tear. And if they do nothing, we're going to try to have a Drexel Heritage person out. I don't think a couch should fall apart in five years when adults are using it.

For 20 years, DirectBuy has been really good. And one thing that they have done is they started to guarantee a low price, which is very nice. I've used that a couple of times on significant items like all new appliances for our kitchen, and we had a store locally that we got prices for and they were lower than DirectBuy's price on their website. It was when the club was still open and I took the quote in to them, and they sent it off. We got close to 10% below the other guy's price. So, it was a significant saving which was great. And I just used it again on some bathroom fixtures from Delta. It was in an online store where you can find Delta products at very good prices. And I compared them to DirectBuy's. I sent them in and they revised their price and beat the best price I had. It's a very good feature that's only been around four years.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Sunita at Markham: I was having trouble with the time restraints through another employee. Feeling frustrated, Sunita came to my rescue and stepped in to take over my kitchen design. She went above and beyond helping me even though she had other items to work on. I really thank Sunita.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I've been a member of DirectBuy since '99. I was building a house at the time and they have a very good set-up. You could even go to their showroom but over the years, they've evolved. The showrooms went out of business and now everything is online so we don't have to look at the books either. Interestingly, it's working okay. The only problem is this delivery situation. I have a lot of rental houses and I've done a lot of purchases, including locks, set bowls, high-end furniture, cheap sofas, light fixtures and kitchen cabinets. I used to do a lot of kitchen cabinets but now there is no showroom and I worry about the delivery. It doesn't sit well with me to waste my time over the delivery.

I ordered two very nice and expensive end-tables six months ago. I got them and then decided to buy two more. The shipping and handling charges went up by 120 bucks which was fine, but the company that they chose for delivering this thing was nothing but bad news. I even got a feeling they are a scam and not may even be a company. They called me last week to schedule a delivery and yesterday, I picked the time 8 to 11. I asked if they could possible make my order the first delivery and they said it was no problem. Knowing that, I scheduled a dentist at 11:30 but by 11, nobody has shown up.

I left for the dentist and halfway through, the delivery company called to say they were there. They were supposed to give me half an hour before they call, plus it was past 11. I was at the dentist's so they said they have to reschedule which means I have to sit at home for another four hours on another different day. It's not that I have nothing else to do but instead of paying 300 something for delivery, DirectBuy could have shipped it through UPS for 30 bucks.

At the dentist's, I wrapped it up quick and by 11:40, I called the driver who called me. I told him that I was going to be back home in 10 minutes and that I would wait for them to deliver and give me a call. No phone call came. I even called the headquarters of the delivery company in Georgia at 11:45 but they said the driver had already left and they were not going to deliver that day. Until now, I have not heard anything back yet. Maybe DirectBuy has a share in this delivery company and they are trying to double dip on that. That worries me because DirectBuy used to be really good and 6 months ago, the experience was very nice. There was none of this hassle but now, they're losing the carrot's trust.

The products that I got have been okay. Stanley's a Stanley. If I buy cheap sofa, it's a cheap sofa. If I buy fancy one, it's a fancy one. The cost of the material and the merchandise that I've ordered was fantastic. I'm good with the 8% that they add as their handling too. What I have problem is the delivery charges. If only there was some way that they could negotiate the delivery in a different method.

I even found a sofa that I want to buy six of but I don't want them to do a white cloth delivery to my home. I want my order in a box so I can put them in a storage and use them in my rental houses. Why would I even have to pay for white cloth delivery and then the problem is white cloth? They take it out of the box in the warehouse so that cost is going to get ruined and it's useless to me. I like DirectBuy and I want to use them more but I'm not utilizing my membership full because of all the hassles associated with it. It's a huge turn-off and unless they put their act together on the delivery situation, I'm not going to be ordering much from them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I've been a member of DirectBuy for over 10 years now. We were building the house and I purchased a lot of furniture from them. I also bought cabinetry, flooring, tiles and dishware. The quality of their products is excellent and I've been really pleased with DirectBuy. The membership fee has been well worth my while. I've gotten more than my money back since I built a house.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

We bought appliances, furniture, kitchen cabinetry, bedding, mattresses and more from DirectBuy. We were getting ready to build a retirement home and the savings from becoming their member were way too obvious to pass up, so we became one. We’re also very happy with the quality of the products and in relation to the cost, it was good too. However, purchasing from them changed dramatically. In the suburban, we had a store close to us so it was very easy, but now that we're in a rural area, it wasn’t. We wanted to do window coverings but when I contacted them, they said there wasn't a rep in this area to do that and it would be the case as we do more stuff since we're too rural to use a lot of personalized services. I wouldn’t recommend it for someone in the rural area who wasn't doing something major for the cost, but if they were building a home like what we did, I would definitely recommend DirectBuy.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

We used DirectBuy when we were renovating our house and it was good for bigger items we found. We downsized and moved into this place last year. It was an old house and we had to do a lot of renovation. DirectBuy offered us three years for a really good price so we took it. We did carpets, floors, and appliances with DirectBuy. We also bought a table and chair set. We know we’ve saved money with them. When I went to the store ordered the table and chairs, I looked around and found the same thing for $500 cheaper. The quality of the products we've bought from them was good.

DirectBuy is good for big purchases and I wouldn’t necessarily go there for one item. Our membership is coming for renewal in February and I don’t know if I’m going to renew it because we’re older and we’re planning on staying here for a while and I don’t have any big purchases coming up. I’m also a little bit leery about purchasing online and that you got to wait for it. Other than that, I love DirectBuy.

When we first went in, it’s a little bit overwhelming sitting there and we were kind of lost shopping in legs. But I’ve really liked the two ladies that we met when we walked in, Cox and Megan. They called me by name and they’re very helpful and very knowledgeable. I felt like I was part of the group and they made me feel like I was important. I've never had any problems with DirectBuy.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Sunita ** from the Cabinetry at Toronto North Easy was an absolute please to deal with. She went over and above to help me with some items I needed replaced in my kitchen. I wish all your employees were as good and helpful as she.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

We've been members of DirectBuy for almost 20 years. We've had a great experience and we're really happy about it. It is a good opportunity to get some better quality stuff for less money. We just built a house so the membership was very handy. We used it for furniture, appliances, sinks, faucets, bath, and bathtub. It was quite easy to find things when you knew what you were looking for. And we were fortunate enough that we live close enough to the actual club so we often went by in person and looked through the catalogs. The quality of the products are great and we’re really pleased. It's worth the cost of the membership, and you get the better products for the price that you pay. We’ve already recommended DirectBuy to some friends.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I have been very impressed with Michelle **. She has been great with getting me prices and always responds to my emails quickly. She is also very patient with me with making decisions. Michelle made my shopping experience painless. I also had a great experience with Trudy. She helped out when Michelle was off the day my order arrived and my Bed came with the wrong fabric from the manufacturer. I had to reorder and am currently still waiting for my bed. Thank You!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

We were building a house so we figured we could save some money by becoming a DirectBuy member. I've been with them for 10 years and I mostly buy furniture from them. Usually, I like to go and see what I’m ordering, find it at some store and know exactly what I’m going to get. But for the first time, I didn’t do that and I was really disappointed in it. The color is off on the couch I just ordered and we do not like it. It’s a little frustrating at times, but overall our experience has been pretty good. I recommend DirectBuy if one is buying a lot.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

We've been DirectBuy members for a very long time. We were moving and we had some stuff to buy and it was worthwhile for us to join them. We bought mostly furniture and their prices were good. It's nice to navigate their website, but I used to like going to the club and being able to look through catalogs and pictures. They don't have as many pictures in the catalogs now and there are fewer catalogs available. It's mostly online now. It's nice to be able to flip a page. But so far, everything's been really good and they actually counsel me which products are better than others. I'm really happy with DirectBuy. They offer good quality and easy shopping.

DirectBuy Company Information