Call toll free
4.26/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Gallery (4)
View More View More

1409 DirectBuy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

I've been a member of DirectBuy for over 15 years and I've purchased mainly furniture, bedding, beds, and couches. The quality of the products that I've received so far is very good. I go for the manufacturers that I have constantly used and Ashley is one of my top manufacturers. The cost is also good that is why I committed much money in the membership fee in the first place. It has been worth my while. I've recommended some of my friends and clients there and they are good about it.

DirectBuy response

Julius, we're delighted to read your feedback about DirectBuy! Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the best shopping experience to all of our members.

Original review: March 19, 2019

My mom used to be a member of DirectBuy, and I've dealt with them and helping her out that way. I myself have just signed up with them, but I've looked some things up. I've also emailed the customer service rep there who was helping me, and she was awesome. She responded right away and she did great. When my mom purchased from there, it was a great experience as well.

Original review: March 18, 2019

We’ve been members of DirectBuy for about 20 years. We always knew we were gonna build another house and thought joining DirectBuy would be a good idea. It was very expensive though. I purchased everything that went into the house -- furniture, appliances, floors, and tiles. The purchasing experience was great. The quality of the products has been great too. I am very happy that you can buy stuff online now. Going through all those catalogs was a pain in the butt. I would tell others that if the cost of joining is reasonable, then join DirectBuy.

Original review: March 17, 2019

We were building a house and we decided to become a member of DirectBuy. We've been with them for six years now and we've purchased a lot of building materials and bathroom fixtures from them. We also bought some furniture. Their purchase process works really well and it's simple. We go shopping online, then emailing our order and confirming it. We’ve been very happy with DirectBuy and we like the value that we get. And I usually say that if there’s a big project going on, a DirectBuy membership is a good investment.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I’ve been with DirectBuy for a long, long time and the membership has paid for itself. Although I bought it at a different price point, I’ve told most of my friends over the years that I get the best deals. When I bought a new house and had to furnish it, I bought a lot of furniture from DirectBuy. My purchasing experience was excellent. The people are very nice and professional. They helped me out through the year. Plus, the quality of the products has been excellent. DirectBuy should try to shorten the time from order to delivery though.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: March 15, 2019

Our first purchase through DirectBuy was an electric reading chair from a Canadian manufacturer. The quality of the product is very good and I was very satisfied with it. We purchased an item from Sears and DirectBuy Canada got our information from Sears and contacted us by email. They made an arrangement that they would agree to honor the expired warranty as long as we are members of DirectBuy, so we chose to follow that. We've been a member for one year now and purchased several things. We purchased a green chair and new doors.

We also purchased kitchen stuff through the arrangement with Kitchen Craft. What really pushed us over the edge was the help we received in arranging for our kitchen. These were the second and third orders we made and we got very good help. We did this space and placed these items, and we had contact with someone that was helping with claims with Kitchen Craft orders. We got very good advice and we’re very satisfied. The person who was helping us changed and we ended up with a different person the first two times, but we were very satisfied both times. Our purchasing experience with DirectBuy was very easy and very good. We really liked the professional that was in the store to help us order and we were very satisfied with the parts. So far, the quality and the cost of the items that we received are very good. The experience was positive overall and we chose to renew our membership with DirectBuy.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I found an image of a sofa set with no name, or SKU... just a Vendor. Barbara ** (I think) from concierge, found my couches! She contacted the vendor, got me pricing and product info... AMAZING! Thank you so much Barbara!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I have been critical with all of the changes at DB as of late -- no showrooms, extra fees (dual shipping charges), hidden pricing (all-in-one) to name a few. Carla ** is the best representative I've had the pleasure of speaking with in, well, years really. She is courteous, affable, and knowledgeable; what a veritable breath of fresh air! Hopefully DB can turn things around and make being a member enjoyable and once again valuable. Carla believes things will come around again, and with representatives like her by your side, DB has a fighting chance. Thank you Carla!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I agree 100% with Lori from MN. We have been members since 1010 and did love it. We built two houses and saved a bundle. However, we have not been using DB for much lately. Quite frankly, if you look, you will find prices cheaper elsewhere. I have had the exact same experience with Moen. And what led me to write this review is an American Standard whirlpool tub. We never used to have to worry about price shopping. If you could get from DB, that was it. But we ORDERED this tub from Home Depot for $18 less than what DB could sell it for.

A few months back, we purchased a washing machine from Best Buy for $230 less than DB’s price. I complained to DB and they told me that I should have contacted them and used my "guaranteed Low Price" benefit. Basically, informing me that our DB price now has to be negotiated. So for this tub, I found the online price. I informed DB that I found the tub cheaper and sent them a screenshot of the item. At this time, Home Depot's price was about $100 less than DB. 3 days after my inquiry I received an email that they received my request, and would see what they could do. 2 days after that, they offered me an $80 price reduction, for a total just above Home Depot.

I informed them that I would be buying from Home Depot. They sent an apology email and sent a copy and paste response that DB members are all familiar with about how big box stores will frequently sell items at or below cost to remove inventory or sell outdated models. The tub I bought was at an everyday price and only available by special order. DB has lost its value in today’s age where major department stores apparently sell merchandise below cost. Believe it or not, it sickens me to come to the reality that we are leaving DB because they were once very well appreciated. But next February will mark the end of our membership. It’s unfortunate that my wife and I can’t even justify a $200 annual investment with this company anymore.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention.  I have forwarded your information to our Escalations Department. We will be in touch as soon as possible and look forward to working with you.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I bought my DirectBuy membership in Waterloo. After some time, they closed that location down and they transferred me to Hamilton. That location closed down as well after some time and so they transferred me to Mississauga. Now, they've closed down that location as well. It has made it challenging for me in the sense that I have to go in and look through the books and have a one-on-one conversation with the designers or people who can walk me through the products. I can look online but I am a people person and I prefer to deal with people face-to-face. I have bought paint, hardwood, carpet and some furniture from DirectBuy. I've had some issues, but those got ironed out. Their staff has done an excellent job.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have been a member of DirectBuy since 2012. I was remodeling a house back then. I needed appliances and so becoming a member at DirectBuy was the logical thing to do. I have done kitchen and bathroom projects using my membership. All the items I have gotten were major name brands and the quality of the products has been good. I've had a good experience with DirectBuy but the only ways that the interaction with them could have improved were in regards to the showroom that we used to have in town. It’s actually better to deal with the web customer service than it was dealing with the showroom. But I will continue to renew my DirectBuy membership and continue to buy stuff from them. It is expensive upfront but if you're going to actually use it, it's totally worth it. It's a straightforward process. They’re not for everybody, but in my situation, it’s ideal.

Original review: March 6, 2019

We have been members for over 10 years. We loved the DirectBuy concept when we joined. We tend to buy homes, fix them up, live in them a few years and move. We have ordered everything from silverware to siding. We have always gotten great quality for our money and an easy order/delivery process. Now there is little help in shopping. Basically tell us what you need and we will order. Thankfully we live near a distribution center so we can pick items up and not pay the inflated prices for delivery with a company that is horrible to deal with. Now you are required to price shop. Example: We have bought plumbing fixtures for 5 homes. We have always been sold the highest quality products, which is what Direct Buy promises. No big box, cheap faucets.

I recently ordered 3 bath faucets. When the plumber was installing them he told me to make sure the shower fixtures were not the cheap quality of the faucets! I paid $170 per faucet! He showed me the plastic parts which is the quality of big box stores for much less $$. I called Dbuy and they said I should not have been sold lesser quality. They would research and get back to me. Moen's response was that the consumer needs to read the description of what they are buying to make sure it is what they want. Now I need to be educated in materials used. I then Googles the item number to look at the description and it is an exclusive item to Lowe's and sells for $119!! Dbuy's response to this was that Moen made an exception and sold them to me. As for the price markup, I was told that I am now responsible for price shopping before I go to Dbuy to order items. Are you kidding me!!??? Won't be renewing my membership!!

DirectBuy response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Lori. We apologize for your recent purchase experience and would like to assist you. We'll reach out privately to begin resolving this issue with your recent purchase.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I had to buy so much stuff for the house so I signed up with DirectBuy less than a year ago. I like having the credit so that the whole fee wasn't written off, their merchandise credit and their pricing. They had a 30-day money back if we decided against it. I've done home renovations so I've purchased all the fixtures, faucets and sinks through DirectBuy. The quality of the products were of very good value. They were exactly what you'd get in the store. So, I'm very happy.

Their website could be a bit better for searching things though. There's so much on there and the search is not sensitive enough. If you put white things you still end up getting all the different colors. If they had more filters that would restrict the search, it would be helpful. You could search for a lamp by color and not just the branding. But if you have a style number, the site is very easy to use. I would definitely recommend DirectBuy.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have some problems making orders on the computer. Mrs Barbara ** helped me do it by phone. She was very kind and helpful. Mrs ** is a calm person and spoke slowly. This helped me tremendously because I have ms, and when people speak fast I have a hard time to follow and I get nervous and I can't seem to understand what people tell me, therefore it was a wonderful experience to work with mrs Barbara **. I would appreciate it if you could tell her for me.

DirectBuy response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your DirectBuy experience. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from members and use it to improve our systems and processes. We look forward to working with you again in the future and will share your kind words with Barbara.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Carla was so professional. She got me at least 5 different bids until I got where I needed to be. She was so kind and helpful throughout. It is very frustrating that we are not getting what we signed up for with DirectBuy without offices where we can go in and look at catalogs and price sheets, but Carla made it awesome. Best experience I have had since it went to this new system. I was thinking about cancelling with your new format, because I have been so unhappy with the service, but Carla was the best I ever had. If everyone was like Carla, I would not have a problem with the new system of ordering with concierge.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been a DirectBuy member for almost 10 years. It's one place to go to shop for everything, and the staff is very good and very accommodative. So, it's a good experience. I have one condo that I did everything I could with it and bought everything from DirectBuy, including the furniture, the flooring, the appliances, and the kitchen cabinets. Right now, I'm doing another condo in Tampa, and I'm doing everything. I like that DirectBuy now has a concierge service, like you can pay a little extra and then you can get a specific person to work with you. It's incredible. The person I got attached with was such a wonderful person. So, this has been a phenomenal experience for me. But DirectBuy could advertise the concierge service a little more because not many people know about it.

Everything is pretty much in DirectBuy. They also educate the customer very well on how to go about working on the website. I really like that everything is right there. You don’t have to wait for somebody to give you pricing at times, and even when you send them a pricing, they are very, very good to respond to it in a timely manner. The products are good and there's a variety, so it's up to you what you pick. I'm also picking a number of DirectBuy Travel.

Original review: March 4, 2019

My husband and I retired in Florida and one of the gentlemen that used to work for us heard that we moved to Florida when he was working for DirectBuy up in Jacksonville and asked if he could come here and help out. The customer service that I’ve received from DirectBuy has been excellent. They have a lot of patience and I’m always satisfied with my prices. They tell me they would submit the purchase order and I would get it within a couple of days. Also, sometimes I’m looking for just a price range on something that it’s gonna be in my budget and I know I can get online and look it up.

One time, we ordered two Hooker and a bachelor chest. We were so excited, we didn’t take the time to order the dresser, which we should have done. Then, when I went back many months later to order the dresser to match it, it was discontinued. The customer service rep I worked with called the factory to make sure that they didn’t have any left, which I really appreciated.

I would highly recommend them. I have great respect for the company. Once in a while, there would be some crazy sale and DirectBuy would always say that they would match it if I find something. That was a guarantee. Even just matching it would thrill you. But matching it costs an extra 10%. As a customer, I feel good about it because when you’re shopping and he’s, “Oh my goodness. I’m almost 100% sure you’re gonna get a better price.” I would be 150% sure that we’re gonna get the better price. I don’t even have to think about it. It’s just a comfort to know that that little cushion is there for the members. We’re having a lot of fun with the membership, whether it’s an appliance or a bedroom set or carpet flooring. If you come to my house, I could show you everything that we bought over the years, from flooring all the way up. We are very happy and very content.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Amy ** went out of her way to help me see what was in my DirectBuy "wish Lists" so that I could order my daughters birthday present. She was respectful and patient even though I was irritated because last week I was able to access the lists, but yesterday, all of them were unavailable. We have been long time members of DirectBuy and have never had problems like this before. I am now forced to waste time re registering "wish lists".

Original review: March 1, 2019

BBQ - inquiry for purchase - Marcia **, thank you again for your help in providing us finding the right product. You made the process easy, you answered all of our questions and found the exact product we were looking for. Thanks again.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I have been a DirectBuy member for over 10 years. We joined them when we built our house and we've been using them since to furnish. I stayed with DirectBuy because they have a good selection of vendors to choose from and also for the savings. I bought two fireplaces from Vermont Castings that normally are $6,000 a piece, and I saved half of that. For my investment of $3,000 to join DirectBuy, the return on investment was immediate.

Also, I find buying from them to be quite easy. When I first joined, you'd have to drive over to the showroom. But since they have gone more online, it's been easier for me to look at products and to talk to the concierge. It helps to have the concierge able to help you since some of the stuff is complicated to order. I tend to be detail-oriented, and I like to look at my own products. I found that most of the time when I was going into retailers, I was telling the reps that were trying to sell me on products about features that they didn't know anything about. So for me, it's perfect. In addition to that, if they don't know something, they’ll usually find someone who does.

So far, I've been pleased with DirectBuy. Everyone has been super helpful. Anyone I've dealt with has been great. One thing though that I don't understand however is that sometimes, there are manufacturers that are on there over the years, and then sometimes, they come up. I'd like to know how DirectBuy decides when a manufacturer is added or when one is taken off. Also, there are less modern furniture offerings than there are traditional ones. So, when I think of how people are decorating these days, which is less traditional and more modern, there's an opportunity for DirectBuy to offer more variety in that regard.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Melissa is an angel. My new year's resolution was to get in shape. I ordered a rowing machine, which didn't work. I called the vendor customer service and didn't quite get what I needed to remedy the problem. Then I contacted Melissa and peace found me once again. Not only did I get a new replacement for the defective machine but she tracked the delivery. Awesome customer service. Someone made my problem their priority... in 2019!!! Love you Melissa, from my heart.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Barbara ** has been very helpful and fast on helping me sort out different things like floors and windows. Her promptness is very much appreciated and hope it will continue as we move forward on.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have been a member of DirectBuy since 2001 and my purchasing experience has been very good. I wanted to become a DirectBuy member because of the price advantage, even the wholesale, and I saved a lot of money going through them. In fact, with the online stuff now, you can go and do your research. I find it easier than going up to their location and through their binders. And the quality of the products I've received is good as always. They could have a wider range for vendors but for the most part, like the appliances, they carry most of the vendors. With lighting though, it was crazy how many choices you have. They also got a good selection for flooring. I recommend DirectBuy to a lot of my friends especially if they’re contemplating major appliance purchases or they’re doing a renovation and they’re looking at flooring or lighting.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

We’ve been DirectBuy members since 2008 and the people who work there are very helpful. That time, we were in the market for a sectional couch and we went to their open-house promotion and their salesman was very knowledgeable. Although it was a little intimidating buying without seeing the product, we decided to do it. We’ve had the couch now for 11 years and it’s like brand new. Since then, we’ve used DirectBuy for various things. We've had our kitchen redone, recolored, put windows in, purchased windows for a colleague and we’ve made smaller purchases like an exercise bike. We’ve also used it to find appliances. We’ve used their concierge service mostly and the purchasing experience has been good and we haven’t had any bad moments. The furniture items have big markups but other things, like electronics, don’t have large markups and for the most part, the DirectBuy items are good quality products.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Carla ** was highly professional and an exceptional help to me in a relatively complicated furniture purchase. She was knowledgeable, friendly, and anticipated my needs and questions. Her response time to any request was essentially instantaneous. It was a pleasure dealing with her, and I congratulate DB for having such a dedicated, efficient and personable representative.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

We've been DirectBuy members for a few years - from when we were doing renovations with our house and needing to buy new furniture. It was a perfect thing for us to get involved with and be able to buy directly from manufacturers. Aside from the great quality of products, it has definitely been an advantage for me to be able to buy the furniture, for instance, without having to go to a furniture store and pay retail prices. Everything pretty much has been done online.

In the old days, we used to go their showroom and through catalogs. It's very disappointing that they don't have a warehouse near me anymore. Not every manufacturer delivers to the customer’s home so my days with DirectBuy are gonna be over if I can't get to some place to pick the stuff up anymore. I used to do so at their warehouse in Mississauga, which is about half an hour from our house. Still, I’ve had a great experience over the years.

There were a few instances where I had to return things and the people were absolutely fabulous. One of which was when I bought furniture for my daughter's new house and it was damaged. The customer service worked with it and did an amazing job. They got it corrected and I was extremely happy. I don't even worry about an item being delivered and having something wrong with it because they have come to the plate every time.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Colleen is Great person, full of knowledge, and excellent person to deal with. She is up and ruining to help in any way she can. I am fully satisfied and would recommend Colleen to anyone need service.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

We’ve been members of DirectBuy for a few years now. We purchased a lot of appliances and the quality of the products is very good. Our purchasing experience was very good too and they navigate you to the right place. We have to do it over the phone now because the place that we originally signed up for in Kingston is no longer there. So, we have to go online now. And they’ve been very helpful.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

We've been a member of DirectBuy for close to 10 years now. We’re in the process of updating our house, so, I figured there would be a need for us to take advantage of some of the deals. We bought some shower doors and some other items and the quality of the products is very good. My purchasing experience seemed to be okay as well. I’d recommend DirectBuy.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I asked for a quote on cellular shades from Levolor. I received an email stating Levolor is not available to Canadians and suggested I use Hunter Douglas. Maxamar and Shadeomatic are also listed as vendors. It's not helpful to just suggest Hunter Douglas when you have other vendors.

DirectBuy Company Information