2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.92/5
Based on 1,530 ratings

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: June 5, 2020

I have been using DirectBuy and their travel for years. I bought an prepaid for a travel certificate in late May 2019. They have a 1 year expiration. Because when Covid hit I had given no thought to travel. I went online today to find the certificate had expired even though there is still no idea when you will still be able to travel internationally. I contacted them and was told since it was purchased in 2019 they were not going to do anything for me even though it still could not be used. Their response is I should have booked something then let it be cancelled is the only way I could have gotten an extension.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I've been a DirectBuy member for 20 years and they have quality products. I used to feel that it was easy to find products, and then I used to feel that their prices were better than what you can get in the stores, but over the past five years, I do not. And I think it's very hard on the internet to search for different things and products. My wife said they don’t have good filter. I didn’t use the word DirectBuy, but she knows who I'm talking about. So, she knows that we have so much trouble. I get more competitive pricing. I just don’t think that you get that discounted rate that you used to get. I can go to Lowe’s and when something is on sale here, I get a better price.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

We've been members of DirectBuy since 2002. We've purchased appliances, furniture and kitchen cabinets. We've done cabinets on our kitchen, laundry room and bathroom. Everything that we have purchased is of excellent quality. I tend to go into looking at the online catalog and go through things. But sometimes I struggle particularly with items like a couch or chair, where it's in the best interest to be able to know whether you can sit in it. It's not the quality anymore, but now it's whether if it's comfortable. Usually, what I try to do is find out if I was interested in a product, then I try to see who sells it and if it’s a furniture store nearby that sells that product, then it gives you an idea of what you're purchasing.

The company itself has gone through a lot of changes because things are changing. At one time, you were able to go in the office area and they have all their samples. But there was not as many available for you to actually go to. Now, it seems to be more and more online purchases versus going into the showroom and being able to see some of the products or displays, or looking at the catalogs at your own leisure sort of thing.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Response was good but shouldn't have to go thru you to get information that should be on the website in the first place. I had the same question on many more of these items but don't want to go thru this process for each of them. Product dimensions should be on the website.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

We've been DirectBuy members for 15 years now. Back then, becoming a member sounded like a good deal. We bought a whole house full of furniture from them. We remodeled a house using their products and furnished a condo using all of their furniture. So the membership has paid off in the long run. However, we used to go into the showroom and look through the stuff and now they don't have that which is disappointing.

I get emails that say this is what's on special which I look through. Sometimes I purchase their items on special and go through other things. Still, their website is not great. If I'm looking for something, I have to know the brand in order to look it up. If someone is doing a major remodel or buying a lot of furniture, they will definitely save a lot of money going through Best Buy.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

About 20 years ago, I was a DirectBuy member, back when they had a showroom. I had a brand new house, and I needed everything. Initially, I had a 10-year membership. We just recently moved and I thought we should become members again. So, I became a member again and I found out about their new system. I purchased furniture, window treatments, appliance, and lighting from them. They've got great quality.

The only thing is they don’t sell fabric anymore and I’d like to get fabric. Also, I understand custom furniture takes time, but it’s been over a month and my items still hasn’t come. It’s a duvet cover and some placemats. There’s no reason that it should take that long. Other than that, I always tell people about DirectBuy. I tell them that they should join if they need a lot of stuff. If they only need a couple of things, it’s not worth it.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

We joined DirectBuy when we were buying a bedroom set and found out we could buy it directly from them versus the company we were looking at for substantial savings. We purchased my son’s bedroom set that time and he still has it today. It’s good quality. We bought KitchenAid appliances on the house that we live in now, cabinets on a second level that we remodeled through DirectBuy, an electric fireplace, and we did some woodwork or something through them for some other project.

We recently bought another KitchenAid refrigerator and they sent a bill through their concierge service. I processed the bill and then they processed the payment. When they send the shipment through, it goes through KitchenAid’s parent company which is called Whirlpool. DirectBuy hands it off to Whirlpool and Whirlpool then has everything electronic. They called and said when they were coming to deliver and I couldn’t contact them back. If they show up and I'm not there, they give two more tries. And there's really no way of communicating with them when they show up to deliver it.

The Whirlpool situation is less than desirable because they called on a weekend and I tried to get back in touch with them. Then DirectBuy has a hard time getting in touch with them. They read off a number to you and if you don’t get it correctly or if they’re speaking slowly, it’s okay. But they speak fast or soft or the communication’s not a good connection and you don’t know what number they’re talking about and then they can’t find your order. Then they just show up and you better be there. So, that’s less than desirable.

The thing that kinda bothers us is when we joined back in 2005, we had to pay nearly $2,000. Now, the membership is like $200. Why did I have to pay so much back then and so little now? Also, they used to have local stores and that made it a lot better because you had the in-store advantage of being able to see the products. Now, everything's online and it's more difficult because if you’re gonna buy it online and spend a lot of money on it, you wanna make sure you know what you’re getting. Just a picture online and a couple of reviews don’t tell you what you need to know.

I’ve tried to communicate with DirectBuy when I’ve had concerns and they’ve made some adjustments. There has been some change from last year so that’s good. Also, they fixed the delivery problem. There used to be a stack of charges. If you order something and want it delivered, then it was like one price was for the delivery to your driveway, another price for the delivery into your house, a third price for delivery into your house to a specific room, and another price for delivery into your house to a specific room and unbox it. They don’t have that anymore. Now, they bring it into your house, set it wherever you want, and they take the packaging away.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

We've been DirectBuy members for a long time. We do a lot of construction and we were also planning on doing renovations to our own home. When I first went in for the presentation, we really thought that they could get us better prices than what I was getting. So, we signed up and we didn’t use it except for stupid things for a long time like knives and pillows because nothing that I was pricing out through DirectBuy was cheaper than what I could get for myself. So, for years, we were very unhappy with it, but we had already paid for it. Once DirectBuy got sold, we noticed that pricing was getting better, so I ended up getting two appliances from DirectBuy in the past year.

This year, I actually bought a stove and a refrigerator. Their quality is awesome. The pillows were mediocre while the knives were pretty icky. There's one brand that DirectBuy has a lot of when it comes to silverware and knives. That brand was not very good at all. My knives started rusting within the first year and I'd only used them twice.

Now, they're doing the 10% match and all that little matching, and that was a great addition to the program. It was very convenient. With the concierge when it came to my stove and refrigerator, it was awesome. When it came to the tiles, they could never match what I can get it for. So, we never bought the tile when I was inquiring about any of that. But as far as the appliances, doing the matching one is 10%, and that helped out greatly.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

Over the two years I have been with DirectBuy, I have bought a bunch of tile for a house that I'm building as well as leather sofas. I have also bought bedroom furniture and recliners. Purchasing is relatively good. However, sometimes my order gets delayed. One time, my daughter was trying to order and she just gave up and cancelled it after six months that Direct Buy kept putting her off.

Another time, my son bought office furniture and when DirectBuy delivered it, the drawer was locked on the dresser. It took them three or four months to be able to resolve that problem so we could use the stuff right. Also, delivery can be a nightmare. When I call the delivery people, no one answers their phone. It keeps taking me to their voice mail and then their system would say that there is no room in their mailbox to leave a message.

I call the 800-number and still no one answers. Just this week, I was calling my target person at DirectBuy, Elizabeth, to try to help me to get a hold of somebody. 15 minutes ago, I got a computer message that says, “Your Wayfair delivery is ready.” But I don’t know this Wayfair delivery. I'm just presuming that order is for the four recliners that I have coming in which I ordered back in November. DirectBuy's computer call told me to pick a day for delivery and I said "Thursday". The system then tells me "thank you" and I'm done. It would be nice to have some idea of what time the delivery people are coming.

In January, the delivery people came to bring the recliners and they said: "here they all are". They thought there were two recliners in the boxes they brought. I told them there was no way there were two in there. We opened the boxes and there was only one recliner which I thought was ridiculous. They said "Oh, okay. Well, somebody screwed up.” This is a big problem. Also, with some stuff that I've purchased such as the things for the tile work, the things couldn't be used. So, I go back to see if I could return them. I picked those items up in Pittsburgh and the DirectBuy store doesn't wanna take them back after 30 days. So, I'm stuck and I end up dealing with their policies. I'm better off dealing through a supplier. Despite these issues, there are some things that I'm very happy with being with DirectBuy. On some items, I've gotten good deals.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

Someone we knew recommended that we look into DirectBuy 5 or 6 years ago, and we moved forward from there. We remodel homes so we were interested in seeing if we could use them to supply things like appliances and cabinetry, and those types of things that are typically expensive. Most of the time, it’s fairly easy to find the products but it’s a little more challenging every once in a while.

The website is where I do most of my purchasing, and it’s better than it used to be but it still could use some improvements to make it a little easier to find things. The filters could narrow down to depending on what types of items one is looking for. Searching for a light fixture, if I make it 5,000 of them, I can’t really sort through 5,000. I should be able to adjust the price to my price point and that filters some out. But in certain categories, it still leaves a lot of item. Other than that, there's no negative quality-wise in anything that we’ve bought and I’ve been very happy with every purchase we’ve made.

DirectBuy Company Information