3.9/5 (1544 ratings)

About DirectBuy

It is a new day at DirectBuy, a leading membership based buying club for products for the home. DirectBuy is transitioning to a highly member-centric business approach, with significant investments in centralized member services, updated online shopping platforms, and a commitment to our pricing guarantee.

DirectBuy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DirectBuy?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Barbara ** served me today. She was excellent! Very professional and helpful. I was surprised that she knew so much about the Palliser products and was able to answer my questions. Also appreciated that she made sure that the 10% discount was included.

Thanks,

Nancy

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

It was a real pleasure dealing with Barbara **! When we first called, she had done a quick look and said the Ashley couch we were interested in wasn't available. We were thrilled that she took the time to do some research and find the one we loved and e-mailed with pricing. She made this purchase really easy for us!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I worked with Crystal over the course of 4 months to get our kitchen design just right and cabinets ordered. Having been through two other remodels with DirectBuy, I can say Crystal is by far the best kitchen designer we have had. She was professional, responsive, and helped make sure we had a great experience. I would recommend working with her to everyone! Keep up the great work!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

All my experiences have been good and I like the upgrades to their web page -- it has been a lot better. Every time I have to talk to somebody, it has been wonderful, too. The quality of the products I have received have been very good. DirectBuy has great products with some awfully good prices and they usually deliver before they say they will.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Please know that Crystal ** rocks! Her attention to detail, customer service, and cabinet design suggestions were amazing! We started this process more than a year ago. She never skipped a beat! Additionally, what a great product Brookwood is. I will send pics of our installation this Spring! Aida, you have a great member of your team!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I have been a DB member since 2005. I had a 50.00 paper discount coupon for recruiting a DB member and was awarded a 150.00 promotional discount by Victoria on July 12, 2019 when I expressed my reluctance to renew my DB membership due to recurring issues with my last few online orders. I accepted the discount offer and in good faith renewed my membership. I wanted to apply both discounts to the above purchase so decided to order by concierge to facilitate this. Unfortunately I was denied the discounts multiple times as there was no record of them as well as a claim that the 50.00 expired after 1 yr though the coupon I had clearly did not have an expiry date on it.

My profound thanks to Amy ** however who vigilantly persisted with patience and courtesy and after almost 2 hours by phone...mostly on hold and several emails she was able to obtain for me the 2 discounts and finalize my order, diffusing my growing frustration and disappointment with DB. Thank you also to Jan ** senior concierge agent. Unfortunately it required far too much of my time to see this through but in the end the acting good faith and comittment of Amy was admirable. Amy even called me back 2 days later to access my satisfaction and process my order. I told her that she could go home that day knowing that she had made a very disappointed and disillusioned customer satisfied and restored my faith in DB. Sincerely, Janice.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Website inquiry and Samsung Washer/Dryer. Karen ** was so patient and informative. Directed me to the proper place on site and re-educated me on vendors and filtering on the site. She’s just lovely. A real professional.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I contacted DB regarding a price difference between the couch on your website and when you sent me an email about an item sitting in my cart. The item (couch) pricing on the website was over $150 more than the price of that identical same item that was sent to me in a email. Hope that explains briefly my issue. So when I contacted DB, I was greeted by Amy. Nice enough consumer care rep but she could not explain to me why the price difference.

Long story short, I am now waiting on your concierge dept to get back to me on an item that I wish to get pricing on. Amy also explained that the app that scans the item and send the info back to DB is not working properly. Not very surprised by that. So as of Jan 10/2020. I have been awaiting someone from DB to look into pricing for an item that I saw at a furniture store. Again, not surprised that I am still waiting and no one has contacted me. I again, will have to contact you (schedule time) to see if someone can assist me.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I called in because the payment link had expired for my quote. I was transferred to Barbara ** who was able to confirm my order and was able to process my payment. She was very pleasant, knowledgeable and professional. A pleasure to deal with.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I am in the process of getting a finished basement certified as an official bedroom so I needed a fire egress window and an installer; as well information on mortgaging finance options. Barbara ** provided the required information in a timely and very pleasant manner.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I had sworn off Direct Buy because of the lack of Customer Service, but I gave you another go, and I'm so glad I did! Carla O was great. She's been super responsive and kept me abreast of my order status without having to ask. Really appreciate the changes I'm seeing -- thank you, Carla!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I have ordered the recent Reclining sectional from Direct Buy and Barbara ** had helped me during the purchase. She had provided an excellent customer service. She was patient, gave me and my wife some time to think overpricing and guided us to Palliser website for model and color selection. After the purchase she even contacted the vendor to find out about the (model number -60) armless power recliner queries) to make sure that reclining buttons are accessible in between the sectional. She had also help me order the Tempur-Pedic mattress as well.

Farhan

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I worked with Taylor regarding the order for a Hicorycraft-Craftmaster sectional. If it wasn't for her assistance I would most likely have ordered another sectional from a local retail store. Taylor is very knowledgeable & was WILLING and ABLE to help with EVERY step of the process! In my opinion Taylor is a true asset to the organization and I only wish I would be 'assigned' to her as my personal shopping assistant...if that were possible...I do believe I would order thru DB a lot more frequently. By the way...this is the FIRST time since the local clubs closed that I've had a desirable and stress free experience with DB. WE NEED MORE TAYLORS IN THE SYSTEM!!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I’ve been a member of DirectBuy for 15 years and I like it when they have these other groups come in. They usually have connections with the people who can do the work so, that’s always a good thing. We had our kitchen done and it was very good. I need help when I'm there but some of the people are excellent. The reps were helpful and the young lady who did the cabinet was very good at suggesting alternatives. I'm waiting on utensils for a shower though and I was going to go down after Christmas is over. I ordered in early December and I haven’t received a call.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

We’ve been a DirectBuy member for about 12 years. We bought a house and we remodeled it with two brand-new bathrooms, and then, we built a house, still owning the previous house. We thought we could save a lot of money with these bathrooms. We could get high-quality materials and not pay high-quality prices. The quality of the products we've received from DirectBuy is outstanding.

We’ve not been so pleased lately because they got rid of all their showrooms. We like to see and touch and get a better feel for things we’re doing. And now, we’re kinda stuck doing that on the internet. And I don’t think they have all the products that they offer on the internet because that would just be a Herculean task. Another thing is the manufacturers that they represent, some of them stay for the long-haul, but a lot of them, you buy one you really like, and then, you check back with them a year later, and they don’t offer that manufacturer anymore. And that can be a little frustrating.

We recently bought a bed and a frame for another house we bought in Florida. We were told that the delivery of both of them would be four to six weeks. So, they have a tendency, which is a good practice, to under-commit and over-deliver. I think it is a good thing. But the problem is, in this case, we really expected the frame to come before the bed. The bed came before the frame, and the bed had white glove delivery. So, we really couldn’t have a delivery until the frame got there. And we kinda got a nasty letter from DirectBuy saying, “Hey, the company has been holding onto this mattress for a month, and they need to deliver it.”

We ordered the frame a week before we ordered the bed. And it was a little frustrating because we were waiting and waiting for the frame. I could’ve bought the frame on Amazon and had it there in two days. But I decided to buy it from DirectBuy instead, which probably was a mistake. Another thing that was interesting was it was cheaper on Amazon than DirectBuy, which was kind of a rare occurrence. I give DirectBuy credit because they did credit me the difference, which was nice. I didn’t expect that.

There's one thing that really frustrates me. When we first joined, they took American Express for the membership fee. And then, they stopped taking American Express and they only took Visa. Then, a couple years ago, they started taking American Express again, which I was thrilled with. But a couple of months ago, before we made this purchase with the mattress and the box springs, they stopped taking it, and it’s frustrating. I really like to use American Express wherever possible because we get points, and we travel a lot, and we use these points for traveling.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

We’ve been members since 2012 and I love DirectBuy. Still, having more variety and manufacturers would be good. When we built a home, a new construction, we got kitchen appliances, bathroom fixtures, flooring, some outdoor living space furniture and indoor furniture. We’re in the process of remodeling our other home right now, so we’re buying a lot of stuff through them, including all the flooring and fixtures. We had some lighting in both houses too. The products are from established manufacturers like Kohler, Emser Tile, and KitchenAid, so they're good.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

It's been over 10 years that we’ve been a member, and we've purchased household items like furniture and appliances. The products have excellent quality.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Working with Crystal B was a pleasure. She was knowledgeable, courteous, and very helpful. Crystal had great follow-up and promptly returned questions or communications. She made this process both easy and enjoyable. We can't wait to get our cabinets and enjoy our new kitchen and baths.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I've been a member for 25+ years. Many good experiences but the recent one has been excellent. I made an error on my first order regarding white glove service and received immediate and accurate assistance on correcting it. The furniture we ordered is manufactured in Italy which concerned me a bit on the target ship date but it was spot on. I was told November 22 at the time of the order 2 months or so earlier, and that is when it shipped.

I e-mailed a couple of times to check status and was pleased to receive almost immediate responses from Angela, at the Concierge Desk out of Indiana I believe. Received immediate follow up today as well on my inquiry. Furniture is at the local depot in Nashville and we are scheduling delivery. No report on the product itself but the has been excellent. process and support to date has been great. Angela has been excellent.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

We purchased a DirectBuy membership years ago when it cost approx $5,000 and the company claimed that they offer manufacturer direct pricing. They claimed that you'd save thousands of dollars off of prices you can get from retailers. Although we've been members for approximately 10 years, we still haven't saved as much as the membership cost. Within the past few years, DirectBuy changed its membership and offers a "savings guarantee". With this new format, you can save money if you're willing to do A LOT of work.

First, their website has a terrible search engine that does not offer many ways to narrow your search. So you have to scroll through many pages of irrelevant products to try to find what you are looking for. Their search results also include the same item repeatedly, again causing unnecessary time scrolling through pages of extra items. It might not be a problem if you could load more items onto a page or if the website was faster so you could scroll through the irrelevant products faster.

Second, their price is very rarely the lowest price you can find. The on top of the alleged "manufacturer's price", they add many other fees so if you don't compare prices, you'll end up paying much more than you would by doing a simple online search for the item. For example, I recently tried to purchase a mirror from DirectBuy. I searched the internet and the best price I could find was $261.80, with a 20% coupon it resulted in a price of $209.44 with free shipping and free returns. I requested the price from DirectBuy and received a quote of $183.00 (not bad), but they added a club handling fee of $16.47, freight $20.13, home delivery $120 (why do I have to pay home delivery when I'm already paying freight?), for a total price of $339.60 before tax.

The "savings guarantee" on this item was 20%, so I should have been able to purchase it from DirectBuy for $167.55, but the savings guarantee request was denied. So I purchased it from the online retailer. In fairness, I did obtain a savings guarantee price reduction on another item that resulted in a $397.50 savings. So you can save money if you're willing to put in the work. But it is definitely not the lowest price you'll find simply by shopping with them and to actually save money, you have to decide what item you want, scour the internet for the best price you can find, look up that category in DirectBuy's savings guarantee program to determine what percentage of savings is guaranteed, then send a savings guarantee price reduction request by email and wait for a response.

Sometimes they give the lower price, sometimes they don't. Sometimes you can find savings coupons for the online retailer that result in a better price than you would get from DirectBuy even with the savings guarantee. If that's the case and the coupon is for a limited time, you may no longer be able to get that price by the time you get a response from the DirectBuy concierge shopping team.

Third, because they're now online only (at least in our area) and returns are not nearly as easy as most other online retailers, you'd better be very certain of your purchase before you order. Like any online retailer, you can't actually see or feel the item before you purchase it. But most online retailers now offer easy returns at no cost to the customer. For DirectBuy, you can (usually) return the item, but you have to pay the return shipping plus a restocking fee that, for the items I have either ordered or looked at, is generally 20-25%. So I wouldn't purchase anything from DirectBuy unless you're 100% certain that the colors, size, fabric, etc are what you want. That's not always easy when you're shopping online.

Fourth, the selection is very limited. Most of the items I've found that I want are not sold by DirectBuy. So I either have to select another item to save a little or just buy what I want from the vendor I choose. If you like furniture for the masses (Ashley, Hooker, Coaster Company), there's a good chance DirectBuy will have it. But if you like more unique furniture, such as Aiden Gray or Noir, you can't get get it from DirectBuy.

So based on my experience, is it worth saving a slight amount to spend the extra hours doing all of this? Or is it worth compromising what you want in the hope of finding something similar from a manufacturer that DirectBuy carries? For us, we decided that it's not worth either the time or compromise and will let the membership expire after the current term. Because we're in the process of redecorating a house, I'm hoping that we'll save enough on the new furniture to re-coup the money we've spend on the membership. However, with diligent online research and using online savings codes, you can usually save as much or more from other vendors with much less work and better shipping and return policies.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

It was a pleasure dealing with Crystal on this kitchen cabinet order. She was professional and helpful in guiding me through the difficult process of ordering kitchen cabinetry without a showroom to sit down with her and show samples of what I needed to decide upon. She responded to all of my questions in a timely manner and was extremely patient throughout the whole process. Even when we had a problem with the payment process, (someone at DirectBuy took my payment information over the phone and entered incorrect numbers so the payment did not go through, which was not discovered until a week later due to the Thanksgiving weekend) Crystal reassured me that it was straightened out and the order was being processed correctly. I hope to deal with her again on future projects.

As far as the whole DirectBuy process of ordering kitchen cabinetry, it is extremely difficult and stressful to do all of this remotely, without a showroom or a person to sit down with that has samples. I have designed other kitchens in the past so I got through the process with some difficulty, but I could see how someone who's never done it before would not be willing to go through it.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

We use the club exclusives quite a bit. I've bought some building materials, curtains, and appliances from them. I also bought a couch set in the past and just ordered one here recently. The quality of the items is great. But I had some problems with my blinds. They measured them but they didn’t take into account the window. So they didn’t fit properly. I did have to do quite a bit of complaining, but I did get my money back for the one blind that didn’t fit.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

When we were deciding between picking up our order or having it delivered we collected the information from DirectBuy regarding home delivery. The timeline that was conveyed to us seemed reasonable and so we went with the home delivery option. Over a week later we still do not have our item, we have not even been contacted by the delivery service to arrange for delivery and there was confusion with us right from the start. Obviously had I known this would happen I would have opted for pick up myself. Apologizing for the mixup and delay just doesn’t seem like an appropriate way to deal with this issue and it’s unfortunate that Direct Buy has nothing more to offer.

DirectBuy response
Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention.  I have forwarded your information to the Escalations department.

We will be in touch as soon as possible and look forward to working with you.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I recently reached out to the concierge for DirectBuy and was set up with Judy **. She was very accommodating in the purchase of a sectional set and made the experience easy and timely. The email communication and her ability to quickly resolve a technical issue were what put this interaction over the top. Great employee and customer service and a primary reason I always look to DirectBuy first.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

About eight years ago, we completely renovated a home down to the studs and using the services of DirectBuy was quite practical especially for the kitchen. It was a cost-saving measure. The prices have gone up though and it’s not as much a bargain as it used to be but it depends on what you’re looking for, too. We bought name-brand stuff, so the quality of the products have been good. I haven’t used DirectBuy a whole lot lately, only because we haven’t needed to do a lot. Everything isn’t always shown online so, I find that having to go all the way down to the warehouse is sometimes a bit of a pain. It’s in the extreme southeast part of the city and I live in the northwest so, getting there is not practical.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

A few days after my purchase. I found several stores selling the exact stove at lower price. I was quite disappointed. I had the opportunity to chat with Barbara. She was able to assist with a credit.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Answered all my questions and provide additional information. And I was able to share this with my family as it was all contained in an email. This was such an easy process. I don't think I will shop retail ever again. Barbara ** did a great job! Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

The service I received from Barbara ** was great. She knew exactly what I was asking for, got the information I needed and placed the order. I received everything as she said I would and on time. The problem now is that I still haven’t heard from the delivery people after a week of waiting...

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

We bought a new house and we needed new furniture and stuff, and I decided to be a member of DirectBuy. It has good prices and quality, so I like it. The things that I got were good brands, so I haven’t had any problems with it. Every time I place an order, everybody helps me and they are friendly.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Kevin ** and Angella of the Direct Buy Ottawa team were fantastic to deal with. They were attentive, informative and on top of their game. They handled every item and issue that came up and all were resolved with no troubles.

DirectBuy Company Information