3.58/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With the functionality of two pieces of furniture in one, CouchBed is a cool-gel memory foam mattress that flips into a modern couch in seconds. CouchBed is the ideal solution for playrooms, guest areas, man cave, or your every night mattress.

Made with 10", 100% CertiPur memory foam, the CouchBed is also infused with coo-gel so it won't get hot like traditional memory foam. CouchBed comes in five colors (charcoal, blue, black, red and limestone), two sizes (queen and twin), and starts at $349.99.

We offer free shipping directly to your door via FedEx in an easy-to-handle box. All CouchBed's include a 10-year warranty

View More View More

CouchBed Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I am thoroughly happy with my purchase of a CouchBed. I was torn on getting a loveseat or something similar to a CouchBed due to the size of my apartment. I decided on a CouchBed for a few reasons. 1.) Price: it was affordable. 2.) Shipping: straight to my apartment without me needing to be there to let anyone in or schedule a delivery time/window. 3.) Durability/multipurpose: I can easily wash the cover if needed, as well as use it as a couch or bed in the event of my family visits.

I did not purchase the platform for the CouchBed but I don't think it would be helped in the way that I needed. I felt like it needed back support since I didn't have it up against any walls. The setup for my living room really does not allow that as an option. I found 3 pallets at a grocery store and built a platform/back for the CouchBed! It works amazingly. And for my twin size CouchBed it's the perfect width for both couch and bed! I've attached photos. I still have to add the LED lights I plan to use for night time use to give it that "floating bed" effect. As well use the pallet platform to have a conveniently located charge port near the back of couch for cellphones and any other electronics.

To sum it all up. I highly recommend the CouchBed, I can see it very useful for people who have kids over, grandkids, or just someone like me who needed a smaller couch for a smaller living space! The only negatives with overall support without an additional back support as well as shipping was a little difficult. Just trying to determine where it was, if it had been shipped and when to expect it. I did receive correspondence from CouchBed but not until after I had a received the product.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Sandstone twin size. I bought this to replace the dinette in my motorhome. I bought a twin size daybed for it to sit on. It looks great, the 2 people who have slept on it say it was very comfortable. However, as a couch I find it to be somewhat uncomfortable. The sitting area seems to be very narrow (possibly because it is the twin size). The back is very straight and a bit rigid for my comfort. These are why I gave a 4 instead of a 5. That being, I am very happy with my purchase and it serves what I needed and wanted. Even though the color is very light, I have had no difficulty spot cleaning as some others have mentioned. It is also way nicer than my dinette. I haven't yet but plan to purchase a TV tray on legs that will hopefully easily slide under the couch to serve as a table for me. The back of it when it in the couch position is flat and wide enough for me to set a tray of food in the meantime. I am very happy with my purchase.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

We have toddlers, and they are very prone to falling off. CouchBed is this very easy furniture to use that can convert between a bed and a couch in our living room. We like co-sleeping, so they can sleep on it, and then we can turn it into a couch and use it without a frame, and then they can climb all over it, and not be worried about them falling off of it. We bought a second one after we bought our first one because that worked. The kids just love them. They love climbing on them and sleeping on them'

The first one that we purchased was gray and it was a queen size. And then the second one was blue and it was a queen size as well. It was easy to order and the website had a range of colors and sizes. There were a couple that weren’t available that maybe we would've preferred. But now that we have the ones that we have, we really like the color. They had really good descriptions of the sizes. The second bed has a different sort of consistency than the first one. It was a little bit softer.

We thought there might’ve been a problem with it. We weren’t sure. But now we kind of like that. I actually use the softer one, and my husband uses more of the firmer one. But I’m not sure why there was a difference in firmness. It’s the same one. It was just a different color. But we like it now. The only potential issue I could see is if you were trying to return it. So, based on what customer service had told us -- if you wanted to return it, you would have to ship it yourself, if you’re trying to possibly repackage it. And I’m sure the shipping cost would be pretty high. So it might be a little bit difficult if you want to return it.

We looked up on YouTube and saw videos that people had posted about their CouchBed and how they really like them. We also read the testimonials on the CouchBed website, and everyone was just raving about them and how they bought multiple ones. It was very easy to receive. That was another issue that we had is that we have twin toddlers and it’s very hard for us to actually go buy furniture. We like the fact that we can order it online, and it shows up to our house.

We also live in a high-rise. To try and to get furniture up there is very difficult. But the CouchBed comes in this very compact and fairly lightweight packaging, so it’s not hard to move. We easily got it into our condo. We didn’t have to try and get this crazy huge mattress up the elevator. It was very convenient. All you have to do is basically take all the packaging off, and it unrolls itself, and kind of self-inflates. It’s very easy, and then it just takes maybe an hour for it to fully recompress and become bouncy. It was a very quick process and very easy to do.

The CouchBed is also very easy to convert from bed to couch. As long as you have it positioned the right way so that the correct end is against the wall, you just flip it up and flip it back. The kids can practically do it. I would definitely recommend one. But put some padding on top of it because there is like a crack between the section that folds up. But if you just put a very light foam-padded mattress on top, which is what we do, then you don’t feel that indentation at all.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I got swayed into getting the CouchBed after seeing its reviews. They talked about comfort, and the fact that it was a memory foam had a lot to do with my decision in purchasing from them. I’ve had sofas that make into a bed but they’ve never really risen to the level of being a comfortable bed. This CouchBed actually seems to perform very well as a bed, which is what I was interested in. So I ordered a blue twin-size, and it was very easy to do. I’m 90 years old and unboxing it wasn’t really a problem. I just laid it down on the floor and opened it then slid the CouchBed out. It’s light and really easy to maneuver. I then let it expand for a few days.

The CouchBed is in my den, and I don’t really use it, but I have a daughter who lives in France and I bought it for her use. She came and stayed for a week, and she liked it very much. She said it was very comfortable, easy to maintain and move, and thought it was the most comfortable alternate beds. She also said she slept very well. The only thing I would like is a platform under it to raise it up from the floor. Other than that, its quality is very good, and it still looks like the day I took it out of the box. The price was fair, too. I certainly got what was said I would get, and I'm satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I am a college student living in a 4 bedroom house, so naturally my room is rather small. I bought the CouchBed so that I could have some more space in my room when I want it. The gap in the mattress is noticeable first of all, a lot of reviews say else wise and that's nonsense. Also, I feel that the mattress could be softer but it strikes a necessary balance in order to be soft but also function as a couch and keep its form. My only reason for discontent with the softness is the price. I paid 450 for my couch bed after finding a 10% discount code on a reviewer's website, which is enough to buy two nice memory foam mattresses that don't fold into couches and would probably be softer.

All in all, now that I've had the couchbed for a few months, I'll say I'm satisfied on the whole, but just know that the price is severely inflated over other similar softness mattresses for the couch gimmick. I went and bought a down mattress topper to make the surface less abruptly firm, after which I could not feel the gap anymore. I plan to buy a couple inches of memory foam padding to put in between the bed and down mattress topper. Unfortunately, the added layers required to make the mattress softer work in direct opposition to actually be able to easily fold up into couch mode without disassembly of your padding. So, this bed is its own worst enemy in its dual functionality, with neither mode being great on its own.

If you came here because you were shopping for a real bed and liked the couch thing, I would advise you to just go buy a real bed for half the price that will have superior quality. If you are shopping for a space management solution for a small living space, then you may consider this mattress. Probably a good guest bed, makes for an ugly couch in your guest room if you can't commit to the couchbed's minimal aesthetic.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CouchBed?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

The couch bed seems to be a very aesthetic piece of furniture but it lacks significantly as a bed or a couch. As a couch, there is very little support on the sides, and, one day, I'd imagine this seem work would be the same, unsupported seam work or support to carry one's back if sitting upright. Probably similar design issues are in the back "board" as it does not support the weight of an adult male in resistance relaxing backward.

As a bed it it less desirable, because there is a divet from the back as if folds down into the contour. The divet creates a large gap with no matter what fitted sheet. I can comfortably sleep on the side outside of that divet on a twin-sized model, but I have my doubts that two people could sleep on a larger model, because of that gap. I think this will need more development.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Very good purchasing experience. Unfortunately the product is very uncomfortable as a sofa while ok as a bed. When used as a sofa you are constantly pushing yourself against the backrest and sliding forward because the front edge of the sofa is soft.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Foam too yielding, so basically not comfortable for long sitting or sleeping. Also too low to the ground without optional frame. The frame should be a part of the package, but that would make it too costly. But all is not lost because my cats love it.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

AWFUL! Not comfortable to sleep or sit on. Not practical as couch - too low - to purchase and use a platform to make it higher to use as couch is awkward - due to making and unmaking bed. With cost of CouchBed and platform better to purchase inexpensive mattress and use for seating as well with better comfort. I threw mine out - too expensive to return - well over $100.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Twin sized couch bed. Not firm enough, but the cost to return means I will keep it, perhaps sell it to someone with a camper van or kids playroom. USPS, FedEx, just about every carrier I checked with would charge well over $100. It's alright for what it is, I was just expecting a bit more for $350.

CouchBed expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

More comfortable and stylish than a traditional futon, CouchBed combines two pieces of furniture in one. It is a mattress that converts into a couch. Use CouchBed in your home, apartment, guest bedroom, playroom or dorm. Prices start at $299 and come with two free bamboo pillows.

• Cool-gel technology: All CouchBeds are infused with cool-gel to ensure a comfortable sleep temperature. The mattress won’t feel cold–the cool-gel technology simply means your CouchBed won’t get hot as you sleep on it.

• As comfortable as a mattress: Unlike traditional futons that are more functional than comfortable, CouchBeds are designed to be used as your every night mattress. They have the added functionality of doubling as a couch when you aren’t sleeping.

• Free shipping: CouchBed ships their products for free from either California or Arizona using FedEx. Expect to receive your CouchBed within 1-6 business days after ordering it. (Weekend orders ship on Monday.)

• Standard bed dimensions: The CouchBed comes in two sizes: twin and queen. These are the same standard dimensions as other mattresses, so you can use regular fitted sheets on them.

• Eco-friendly: All CouchBeds are made from environmentally friendly materials, so you can rest assured that your family and guests are safe when they sit or lay down.

• Best for: people who want a multi-functional couch that can be easily turned into a bed.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

CouchBed Company Information