It's that easy Request Information
4.34/5
Based on 63 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With the functionality of two pieces of furniture in one, CouchBed is a cool-gel memory foam mattress that flips into a modern couch in seconds. CouchBed is the ideal solution for playrooms, guest areas, man cave, or your every night mattress.

Made with 10", 100% CertiPur memory foam, the CouchBed is also infused with coo-gel so it won't get hot like traditional memory foam. CouchBed comes in five colors (charcoal, blue, black, red and limestone), two sizes (queen and twin), and starts at $349.99.

We offer free shipping directly to your door via FedEx in an easy-to-handle box. All CouchBed's include a 10-year warranty

View More View More

63 CouchBed Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 22, 2018

The website is pretty simple to navigate, and ordering was easy. I purchased a grey queen sized couched and a frame to go with it. I had to wait quite a while to actually receive my Couch Bed (about a month from order date), and longer still to get the frame (about two months from order date), but I was fine with that since I was informed of the waits when I was placing my order. While I was waiting I reached out to customer service both via phone call and through FaceBook messaging for updates. Using both methods I got quick and helpful replies and answers. I also got relevant updates emailed to me, which was appreciated.

The couch bed itself is pretty nice. It's very comfortable for both a couch and a bed. My wife and I have both dozed off on it unintentionally, because it's just that comfortable. The transitioning from a bed to a couch or vice versa is exactly as easy as the promo materials make it look. It takes seconds and little effort. I was worried that the stitching around the moveable parts would be weak and possibly tear, but they seem solid. I didn't pull excessively on them or anything, but I did drag the couch bed in and out of rooms with no audible or visual stress on those seams. All seems well! I do worry about possible future sagging of the couch bed, specifically where people do the sitting, but I can't comment on that until I've had it for much longer. I've had it for about two months now with near daily use and I haven't noticed and sagging or loss of form.

Now the frame. I wish I had as many nice things to say about the frame. Here's one: It's easy to put together. Literally all you must do is screw in the feet and then set it upright. Unfortunately, the feet seem to be made from some softwood rather than a hardwood so when you go to flip the frame to be upright, you have to lift it completely off the ground and rotate it. You'll likely need two people. If you try to just tilt the entire frame to flip it upright, you can hear the wood in the feet groan and crack under the weight and pressure. I think a lot of people will accidentally break the feet off their new couch bed frames because of this. I nearly did. The frame looks nice enough, and the poseable parts that pull out for conversion into a bed works great. The downside is pushing those poseable parts back in for converting into a couch does not work as great.

These poseable parts are supposed to be flush against the frame when in couch form. The back of the poseable parts simply hang too low and hit the back brace instead of sliding in above the brace as intended. Thus, there is always a gap in the frame in couch form unless I remove the couch bed, get underneath the back of the frame to push the poseable pieces up as I slide them in. This is the only way to make them go into their correct position. More than annoying if you ask me. You can see what I mean by this gap in my photos. My summary is simple: The couch bed itself seems to be a great product, but I would wait to buy the frame for the couch bed until it is tweaked to be more durable and reliable.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 22, 2018

I ordered the couch bed for my teenage son to use in a spare room, mainly for him and his friends while they play video games. They love it and they were practically giddy about the pillows! I didnt notice any smell like I had seen in some reviews. We had no issues at all. I actually use it as a reading couch when no one is home. So happy we got it!

Original review: July 21, 2018

I wanted something that was like a futon but not really a futon and CouchBed popped up in Google. We've got a Murphy bed in the office for my guests and then it totally broke, so I got this one instead. Ordering our CouchBed was easy and I did it online. I put my credit card in there and then it came within two or three days. It is the blue color queen size one. I have never slept on it, but it is not very comfortable to sit on. My kids like it, though, and they sit on it. They watch TV in there. Also, it was pretty affordable. It was pretty good because it is memory foam. A memory foam queen size mattress itself is usually around a 1000 bucks, and I got the whole couch for basically half that. It's a better alternative to a futon. Overall, I'm satisfied.

Original review: July 19, 2018

We ordered one for our office to have as a spare bed. Our son loved it so much that he said he wanted one to use as his regular bed. Very happy with our purchases!! Would definitely recommend to a friend.

Original review: July 19, 2018

On 6/11/18 I sent a message on FB asking this question: ”Is there anyway to determine when my order will 1. ship and 2. arrive? I know it says "QUEEN WILL BE READY TO SHIP AGAIN ON JUNE 21ST, TWIN WILL BE READY IN JULY, AND WILL SHIP IN ORDER OF ORDERS PLACED.” I ordered a queen on June 2nd. If we don't have it by the first week of July, we will have to buy something else and cancel our order with you. Please advise ASAP.”

I waited 5 hours and got no response. I then called CouchBed at 4:29 EDT and spoke to Dana. Dana again told me that the beds should start shipping the 3rd week of this month. I told her that the website said they would start shipping on 6/21 and asked her if there was a way she could tell me where my order was in the order queue - whether my order would be going out close to June 21st or if it was further down the queue. And if it were further down the queue, give me an estimate as to when it might ship. I told her we bought the bed for a specific reason and if we did not get it by the first week of July that we would have to buy something else and cancel our order. She said she couldn’t help me but to email support@couchbed.com and they could give me that information.

Fortunately support was able to help me. After I received my CouchBed, I sent an email to support with a pictures. 1 was showing the damaged box that it came in and the other was the CouchBed. I asked if the material was supposed to be that loose, They responded immediately and said, "No, but it takes awhile for it to fill out." It has been a few weeks now and the material is still as loose. The saving grace is that it is pretty comfortable. The "gap" can be felt when it is being used as a bed but it is better than an air mattress.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CouchBed?

Original review: July 19, 2018

The bed is the perfect size for me (twin size) and is perfectly firm! Super easy to convert and I love the dark grey color! The bamboo pillows are amazing as well and the fact they were free is so awesome! I've had many nights of amazing sleep since receiving the bed and pillows!

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have already referred friends to how I got my Couchbed. It fits my current lifestyle to the “T”. My Couchbed is literally a couch part time and a bed part time. I am looking very forward to getting my frame too!! Thanks Couchbed.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Love the couch bed!! I bought this for my daughters dorm & the twin size fits perfectly!! She is very excited about starting her new year in college & having the couch bed to kick back on after classes is perfect!

Original review: July 18, 2018

My son turned 21 and he had been wanting to give his room a little more space, so we purchased a bed from CouchBed. It was the queen and it was gray. The process of ordering was super easy and the communication I received after my purchase has been good. We let the CouchBed expand for least 12 hours or even longer. The bed is good and the cost is comparable. I would definitely tell my friends to consider purchasing one.

Original review: July 17, 2018

The bed & frame are up & functioning. Directions for changing from delivered bed to a couch were unclear; pictures & arrows would help. Assembling the frame was a nightmare. It seemed easy, but pre-assembled bolts fell out of holes, an electric drill was required as well as figuring out exactly how to repair & reassemble it. The slats are firm, but care is needed to make the right pair fit evenly with the left pair. But we will mostly use it as a couch, so it won’t happen often. I think it will become a worthwhile purchase.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I loved the idea and concept behind that couch bed, I ordered it only to find out that it would not work for what I needed it for. I did return the product and that process was seamless and not painful at all. I wish I could have kept it for something else but everything about this product was great.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I’m building a house in Phoenix and I’m from Seattle. I ordered a gray queen size CouchBed online and navigating through their website seemed okay. The box was delivered on the last week of June but I didn’t get here until July 1st. I took it out of the box on July 2nd and I asked about returning it immediately. The material was all wrinkled and the CouchBed looked like it has been used. I let them know about that but the communication with the reps was not good. It took them two days to respond to my questions about returning it and they said I could ship it back at my own expense.

My experience with CouchBed was not good and I’m terribly disappointed in the quality. Also, it’s a mattress that expands when you take it out of the box. And once you undo a mattress like that, there’s no way to get it back in the box. The CouchBed is just sitting here, it looks hideous and I’m stuck with something that I absolutely hate. I’m sitting here trying to decide what to do with it because I talked to UPS and it would cost between $400 and $600 to have it boxed up and shipped back. It would cost more to return it than I’d paid for it and I’m not spending any more money on it.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 13, 2018

The CouchBed is practical and I’m able to get two things out of it while utilizing one space. I ordered a charcoal, queen-sized one. The ordering process was good, but the CouchBed was six-weeks out on backorder. Their website said delivery would take four to six days, but once they processed the order, it took about four weeks to arrive. I received no communication after the purchase and it was hard to talk to them. When I contacted them on Facebook, they said they would be right back. I got one response.

Unboxing the CouchBed was simple and it expanded in 20 seconds. I've had it for two weeks and I like that it’s firm. It’s my primary bed and I've slept very well on it. The CouchBed is sturdy, but the line that you lay on, where it folds over, makes a dip because of the weight and it feels like it’s coming apart. They need to tighten up the line where it folds over and opens.

Hi Edwardo

We had it in the product description in big red letters that the CHarcoal QUeen size were on backorder and we had the estimated ship date for that particular item.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 6, 2018

I ordered the CouchBed first to see if we were going to like it. It was my intention to order the bed frame after we saw if we liked the CouchBed. We needed the height of the frame to make the CouchBed usable for us. Without the frame the CouchBed is useless as we are older. It was good for the small space we had in our 2nd bedroom/office. The frame we ordered about 3 weeks later. That was paid for in May and was told it was shipping in June. It is July 6th. Still no bed frame.

I was told 3 different ship dates and different stories. Still no bed frame. I am not a happy customer. I would like the truth. If you cannot produce the bed frame then tell me that. If it is not shipping because you do not have it tell me that. At this point what would make me happy is either the shipped bed frame with the tracking number in an email or a full refund of the CouchBed and frame along with shipping costs paid by the company to ship the CouchBed back to you. It is useless to us without the frame.

CouchBed response

Hi Rita, Your platform shipped on July 6th and is scheduled to be delivered this Thursday, sorry about the delays.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 28, 2018

I like CouchBed's style. It's contemporary and it looks really nice. And the best part is that it's very easy to order. But there's no other options, either you'll get that or the black one. I wish there's other options besides from those colors and if you don't want something checkered or flowery. But the website was really easy to figure out and the bed arrived to our home quick. Also if you are the type of person who likes firm that's perfect. But I thought it was gonna be like La-Z-Boy -- nice and comfy type. I did not know that this is gonna be so firm. So I'm kind of like regretting it at the same time because it's not comfortable.

But the quality is really good. I'm just not happy when I wash the cover. If you are not mechanically inclined it gets really confusing. I had to ask for my husband to put it back. This is very tricky. The only reason why I had to remove it was because my son spilled something to it and I had to wash it. But it's like I'm not doing this again. I know the purpose they made it like that fabric but they need to make that thing a little more elastic. We almost broke the zipper and all that stuff because we were trying to push it and it's ridiculous.

CouchBed response

Hi Aileen, it sounds like the cover may have shrunk a bit when you washed it, they normally don't fit that tight. Had the zipper broken though, don't worry, its covered by our 10 year warranty. Here is a video of the cover change

Original review: June 23, 2018

CouchBed was small and I needed it for a playroom. It was the twin and it was gray, and I got it at a discount. I ordered it online, I processed my credit card and it came in the mail. The CouchBed came when I wanted it to. We pulled it out and it just popped up and it worked. My daughter changes it from a bed to a couch herself and she's 11, so it was perfect for her. It's very comfortable and we like it a lot.

CouchBed response

That's great to hear, thank you!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I ordered the bed and platform in April. The bed arrived AND I was charged for a bed and platform. Their site did inform of shipping to begin in June. Today, June 22, I called and was told they will BEGIN shipping next week!!! Poor business management!!! I regret trying to do business with this company. I strive to support American made products but this gives Made in USA a black-eye.

Hi Patricia

We're sorry to hear you are disappointed with the delivery schedule. We have always had it listed that the platforms were preorders and that we would ship in June. We didn't put an exact day in June because the platforms are a brand new item for us and we weren't positive how long they were going to take us to make. We are shipping them next week, June 25th, still in line with what we advertised when you purchased the preorder.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I was very pleased with how quickly our queen-size CouchBed in Charcoal arrived after I ordered it online. Set-up was pretty easy for my husband and me. My only unhappiness is with the Charcoal color, which appears to have a greenish undertone (sitting on our new gray-toned hardwood floor).

Original review: June 18, 2018

I purchased the Limestone Twin CouchBed and put it in a spare room for guests. The unboxing process was easy and it took just one day to let it expand before we set it up. It's great for guests to use instead of a regular bed. I had guests sleep on it and one of my dogs loves it. We've had the CouchBed for four or five months now and I think the cost is very fair for the quality of product that we got.

Original review: June 10, 2018

We purchased a CouchBed that is light gray in color and it’s a twin. It was for our grandson and he loves it. He likes it mainly because it does make a chair. He’s in college and he needs both the bed and the chair. CouchBed was the only one that we saw that’s made like a chair, which was what we were looking for instead of going with a futon. We’ve had futons in the past and this seemed to be a little better and a little more comfortable. Ordering it was not difficult and it was delivered in the expected timeframe, too.

Original review: June 3, 2018

We wanted a place that can have a dorm room couch which can open into a bed so we bought a CouchBed. We signed in with the computer, pressed a few keys and ordered from there. It's a gray, queen size memory foam. It's not a $1000 Sealy Posturepedic, but it's nice. It's very casual but I like it better than a pull-out couch with all the bars on it. I like the modern look of it. You can get some nice accent pillows, throw it on and you're good to go. Our teenage son uses it, my husband and I use it, and we just moved to an apartment so we're hoping we can use it if a company comes over. I would recommend it if somebody needs a casual place to sit and sleep.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I purchased a blue, queen-size CouchBed for my son's room since I saw the convenience of a CouchBed for him. Instead of getting a bench and a bed, the CouchBed was perfect because it was two-in-one. The process of ordering it was easy since I’m so used to doing things online, like purchasing stuff. The bed was delivered sooner than the expected time frame. The unboxing process was fun because I’ve never received a bed in the mail before, so seeing it shrink-wrapped and having it expand was different. We let it expand for four hours before using it. I've had the CouchBed for some months and it is good and firm. It's for long-term use and it’s not gonna get soft anytime soon. For its price, the bed was worth it. Then, with the two pillows thrown in, it was a really good deal.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We replaced the couch in our RV with the couch bed and are very happy with it. The only problem is, it is killing or knees getting up from the couch at such a low seating position. It would be helpful if you can provide me a estimated delivery date for our platform.

Original review: May 27, 2018

The experience has been quite good. It saves me plenty of room and it looks nice. But recently the stitching is coming undone. It looks as if it will continue to get worse every time I fold it out to a bed. Can this be fix or replaced?

Hi Jacob,

Of course, CouchBeds are covered by a 10 year warranty, all you needed to do was contact as and we'd take care of it. I'll send you an email confirming that a replacement cover is on the way.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Was pleasantly surprised by this couch. It's not my taste in style but the comfort and ease to make into a bed is fantastic! I have family staying with us and they love it. They said it's more comfortable than their own bed.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I love my CouchBed! Haven’t actually used it because I’m going to order the platform for it next month. Can’t wait to set it up in my living room! This is such an amazing and versatile piece of furniture. The quality is superb!!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

We have been extremely happy with our Queen CouchBed. We use it in my home office as a guest bed for my pre teen niece when she spends the night, and she loves it. I pre ordered the platform that goes under it. Do you have an estimate on when it will be arriving?

Original review: May 24, 2018

We have two small children, they love the soft low height couch and they can make it to a bed when they feel like laying down. Also friend can spend overnight with the CouchBed, so convenient. We are very satisfied with this product!

Original review: May 23, 2018

We purchased our CouchBed for our grandsons/guest room and so far it has been perfect. I like the ease of changing it from a couch to a bed. I would recommend it to anyone who's looking for guest sleeping space. You can see that our youngest grandson loves taking a nap on it!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I’m not completely satisfied with the CouchBed. I’m 61, and it’s difficult to sometimes get up from the CouchBed. I thought if returning it, especially since it’s $300, not a small purchase for me, especially when I live paycheck to paycheck. No return policy stinks! Highly disappointed with the whole experience.

Hi Diane,

I'm sorry to hear the CouchBed is too low for you but we have a return policy. You have 30 days to ship the CouchBed back to us and once we receive it back we issue a full refund. Additionally, we are releasing an adjustable platform in June that will add 10" of height to the CouchBed, making it the same height as a traditional couch.

CouchBed expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

More comfortable and stylish than a traditional futon, CouchBed combines two pieces of furniture in one. It is a mattress that converts into a couch. Use CouchBed in your home, apartment, guest bedroom, playroom or dorm. Prices start at $299 and come with two free bamboo pillows.

• Cool-gel technology: All CouchBeds are infused with cool-gel to ensure a comfortable sleep temperature. The mattress won’t feel cold–the cool-gel technology simply means your CouchBed won’t get hot as you sleep on it.

• As comfortable as a mattress: Unlike traditional futons that are more functional than comfortable, CouchBeds are designed to be used as your every night mattress. They have the added functionality of doubling as a couch when you aren’t sleeping.

• Free shipping: CouchBed ships their products for free from either California or Arizona using FedEx. Expect to receive your CouchBed within 1-6 business days after ordering it. (Weekend orders ship on Monday.)

• Standard bed dimensions: The CouchBed comes in two sizes: twin and queen. These are the same standard dimensions as other mattresses, so you can use regular fitted sheets on them.

• Eco-friendly: All CouchBeds are made from environmentally friendly materials, so you can rest assured that your family and guests are safe when they sit or lay down.

• Best for: people who want a multi-functional couch that can be easily turned into a bed.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

CouchBed Company Information