2. Homeowners
  3. Mattress Brands
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.67/5

With the functionality of two pieces of furniture in one, CouchBed is a cool-gel memory foam mattress that flips into a modern couch in seconds. CouchBed is the ideal solution for playrooms, guest areas, man cave, or your every night mattress.

Made with 10", 100% CertiPur memory foam, the CouchBed is also infused with coo-gel so it won't get hot like traditional memory foam. CouchBed comes in five colors (charcoal, blue, black, red and limestone), two sizes (queen and twin), and starts at $349.99.

We offer free shipping directly to your door via FedEx in an easy-to-handle box. All CouchBed's include a 10-year warranty

View More View More

CouchBed Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Just wanted to let you know we received our CouchBed platform last week, and we love it. Just as the CouchBed itself, the platform is a well-engineered, well-constructed piece that we expect to have in our home for a very long time. We were pleasantly surprised that the only assembly required was to very easily hand-screw the legs on, no screwdriver required. The wood, joints, and hinges are very solid, and it has a smooth, coated finish instead of bare wood. With the added platform the transition from couch to bed is still quite literally less than 2 minutes and easily a one-person job. And, bonus! We now have additional storage space under the platform.

With the CouchBed, I can utilize our spare room as the art space I've longed for, yet still very comfortably accommodate overnight guests without feeling the embarrassment of providing them an inflatable mattress or uncomfortable traditional foldout couch to sleep on. I have never met a convertible couch that I liked until now. Kudos to you for holding the line on quality while addressing the production issues you experienced in filling your orders. I was uncertain I'd be able to say this, but now that I have the platform, it was worth the wait.

CouchBed response

Hello, We are pleased to know you are enjoying your CouchBed Purchase.

The CouchBed Team

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I had a guest coming to visit and a room with no bed in it. The reviews said that CouchBed was comfortable as a bed, and there was a video review I saw that it was easy to move around from room to room. It was also simple to move it from a couch to a bed. The guy brought it in the house, which was nice. After I took it out of the box, I saw that there was a piece of paper that said how to take it out of the box, and I thought that that should’ve been on the outside of the box. I let it expand for a full day, and then I put it in a couch position. We had to air out the room for about three days before it didn’t smell. I’m a big fan of the bed, and my guest said it was super comfortable. We also liked how it looked for our meditation room. It's pretty easy to lay it flat, though it’s a little bit of an ordeal to make it into a bed with the mattress, topper and the sheets. I also like that it doesn’t have to move away from the wall to do that.

CouchBed response

Hello, We are excited to hear that you are happy with your CouchBed.

-The CouchBed Team

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

CouchBed was affordable and it suited what I needed at that moment. The website was user-friendly, plus the size and the reviews that I had read were pretty good. Ordering was pretty straightforward and simple. I got the email right after from this purchase and then a couple days later, I got the tracking information for the purchase. Unboxing was pretty easy also. CouchBed provided the box that it was in that came on with it. For the bag portion, you split that open and lay it out, open and let it breathe. We let it breathe overnight before we used it.

CouchBed is the first one that I've used that has a dual purpose. It's a twin black one that's in our front room, and it's used in a nightly basis. My sister uses it and she told me it's comfortable. She has it out in the morning and towards the night, we put the blankets on it and then make it into a bed. Then in the morning, she makes it up and puts it into the couch form. It probably takes all of five minutes to do. It fits perfectly against the wall where we have it. It's a little pricey, but it's worth its price. For its usability, it's the best of both worlds. You got a bed and a couch during the day.

CouchBed response

Hello, We are excited to hear this, as we strive to make things easy for our customers.

The couchBed Team

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I am thoroughly happy with my purchase of a CouchBed. I was torn on getting a loveseat or something similar to a CouchBed due to the size of my apartment. I decided on a CouchBed for a few reasons. 1.) Price: it was affordable. 2.) Shipping: straight to my apartment without me needing to be there to let anyone in or schedule a delivery time/window. 3.) Durability/multipurpose: I can easily wash the cover if needed, as well as use it as a couch or bed in the event of my family visits.

I did not purchase the platform for the CouchBed but I don't think it would be helped in the way that I needed. I felt like it needed back support since I didn't have it up against any walls. The setup for my living room really does not allow that as an option. I found 3 pallets at a grocery store and built a platform/back for the CouchBed! It works amazingly. And for my twin size CouchBed it's the perfect width for both couch and bed! I've attached photos. I still have to add the LED lights I plan to use for night time use to give it that "floating bed" effect. As well use the pallet platform to have a conveniently located charge port near the back of couch for cellphones and any other electronics.

To sum it all up. I highly recommend the CouchBed, I can see it very useful for people who have kids over, grandkids, or just someone like me who needed a smaller couch for a smaller living space! The only negatives with overall support without an additional back support as well as shipping was a little difficult. Just trying to determine where it was, if it had been shipped and when to expect it. I did receive correspondence from CouchBed but not until after I had a received the product.

CouchBed response

Very Creative! We appreciate your feedback and love your ideas.

The CouchBed Team

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

We have toddlers, and they are very prone to falling off. CouchBed is this very easy furniture to use that can convert between a bed and a couch in our living room. We like co-sleeping, so they can sleep on it, and then we can turn it into a couch and use it without a frame, and then they can climb all over it, and not be worried about them falling off of it. We bought a second one after we bought our first one because that worked. The kids just love them. They love climbing on them and sleeping on them'

The first one that we purchased was gray and it was a queen size. And then the second one was blue and it was a queen size as well. It was easy to order and the website had a range of colors and sizes. There were a couple that weren’t available that maybe we would've preferred. But now that we have the ones that we have, we really like the color. They had really good descriptions of the sizes. The second bed has a different sort of consistency than the first one. It was a little bit softer.

We thought there might’ve been a problem with it. We weren’t sure. But now we kind of like that. I actually use the softer one, and my husband uses more of the firmer one. But I’m not sure why there was a difference in firmness. It’s the same one. It was just a different color. But we like it now. The only potential issue I could see is if you were trying to return it. So, based on what customer service had told us -- if you wanted to return it, you would have to ship it yourself, if you’re trying to possibly repackage it. And I’m sure the shipping cost would be pretty high. So it might be a little bit difficult if you want to return it.

We looked up on YouTube and saw videos that people had posted about their CouchBed and how they really like them. We also read the testimonials on the CouchBed website, and everyone was just raving about them and how they bought multiple ones. It was very easy to receive. That was another issue that we had is that we have twin toddlers and it’s very hard for us to actually go buy furniture. We like the fact that we can order it online, and it shows up to our house.

We also live in a high-rise. To try and to get furniture up there is very difficult. But the CouchBed comes in this very compact and fairly lightweight packaging, so it’s not hard to move. We easily got it into our condo. We didn’t have to try and get this crazy huge mattress up the elevator. It was very convenient. All you have to do is basically take all the packaging off, and it unrolls itself, and kind of self-inflates. It’s very easy, and then it just takes maybe an hour for it to fully recompress and become bouncy. It was a very quick process and very easy to do.

The CouchBed is also very easy to convert from bed to couch. As long as you have it positioned the right way so that the correct end is against the wall, you just flip it up and flip it back. The kids can practically do it. I would definitely recommend one. But put some padding on top of it because there is like a crack between the section that folds up. But if you just put a very light foam-padded mattress on top, which is what we do, then you don’t feel that indentation at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CouchBed?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

Even if I am not happy with the product, I am told I am responsible to return the product. The shipping cost is almost the same amount of the refund I would get. The product I want to return is the overpriced platform that is not even work smoothly for $300. It is made of cheap wood. I bought a bed from tuft and needle and you can return the bed to them free of charge if you are unhappy with the bed.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I bought the Couch Bed and think it's worth the purchase only if you can afford the platform. Otherwise the couch/bed is too low. There is a small slit in the mattress where it was cut to flip into the couch but it doesn't bother me and if it bothers you, just laying a thick quilt or blanket on the top will do the trick. I did and still do have some issues with the frame. It came with screw marks in the wood as if the legs had been used already and there were nicks in some of the wood. Also, when pulling out the front part that turns it into a queen platform, it's slightly uneven (not in how the mattress lays on it but in length).

These are minor cosmetic issues but when you buy something new you expect it to be in perfect shape. They don't pay for return shipping and even if they did I didn't think it was worth the effort to send back and told them to just send me a couple mattress covers instead of going through all the hassle. This is where the "family" business shows. As I am writing this review, the phone is ringing and nobody is picking up. No way to leave a message. Ah... voicemail is free. These leaves e-mail as the only way to contact them. When I emailed about the frame I was told that they would send me a cover instead of doing a full return of the frame. They never sent it and they never responded to two other follow up e-mails. I work in customer service and I can tell you that this is the kind of stupid mistakes that destroy a good business.

So my recommendation is to buy the product (with platform); but you also need to be aware that after they ship your order, service will be patchy afterwards. Also they are out of certain products all the time, which is another sign they need to get their act together. One last thing, the mattress is firm but I hear that's typical for memory foam. I did buy a mattress topper to make it a bit softer and it's a lot nicer. I will updated my rating if they ever get back to me, but I have a feeling that I'll never hear from them again.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Delivery was timely, easy to open box. Unfortunately the gap between seat and back (full size) was so uncomfortable my guests were unable to sleep on it! I’ve tried writing and calling the company’s number but no answer - not even answering machine. Website claims sleeping on gap is a non issue since the cover fits so well? Is this the cover that comes with it? Or an additional one I need to purchase. I’m SO disappointed, feel deceived especially since there appears to be no one to speak with? I’m afraid I’ve wasted $450. Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I had high hopes for this unit to be used in a den. I was very disappointed in the pad itself as the cover was very loose on the foam. It never did tighten up. The worst part though is the unit is downright uncomfortable. The back rest is stiff as a board. I cant even sit in it for a few minutes. I tried calling the company and no answer. I also emailed them because prior to receiving there was a shipping issue. No reply.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I had a great experience with my CouchBed. The ordering process was super easy. I did it online and the delivery was very quick. Unboxing it was super easy too. We got the full size bed and we got it in a blue jean-looking fabric. It looked really substantial and the reviews were amazing, except for the base. We've had it for a couple of months now. It's in my son’s bedroom as a spare bed and a couch, and he's good about it. Right now, it's on the floor. It needs to be higher, but I read all the reviews about their base and nobody said it was worth 400 bucks. I wish they had a cheaper version to get it off the ground. Other than that, it's fantastic. I've already recommended it.

CouchBed response

Hello, We value your feedback as it helps us to grow and improve our products. We are excited that you're recommending us to your friends.

Thanks for the support

-The CouchBed Team

CouchBed expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

More comfortable and stylish than a traditional futon, CouchBed combines two pieces of furniture in one. It is a mattress that converts into a couch. Use CouchBed in your home, apartment, guest bedroom, playroom or dorm. Prices start at $299 and come with two free bamboo pillows.

• Cool-gel technology: All CouchBeds are infused with cool-gel to ensure a comfortable sleep temperature. The mattress won’t feel cold–the cool-gel technology simply means your CouchBed won’t get hot as you sleep on it.

• As comfortable as a mattress: Unlike traditional futons that are more functional than comfortable, CouchBeds are designed to be used as your every night mattress. They have the added functionality of doubling as a couch when you aren’t sleeping.

• Free shipping: CouchBed ships their products for free from either California or Arizona using FedEx. Expect to receive your CouchBed within 1-6 business days after ordering it. (Weekend orders ship on Monday.)

• Standard bed dimensions: The CouchBed comes in two sizes: twin and queen. These are the same standard dimensions as other mattresses, so you can use regular fitted sheets on them.

• Eco-friendly: All CouchBeds are made from environmentally friendly materials, so you can rest assured that your family and guests are safe when they sit or lay down.

• Best for: people who want a multi-functional couch that can be easily turned into a bed.

by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

CouchBed Company Information