Investing in a quality mattress topper is a simple way to make a decent bed more comfortable. It can also be a cost-effective stopgap until you’re ready to replace your existing bed with one you really deserve. A topper is also a good idea if you recently got a new mattress and want to keep it in the best shape possible.
What is the best mattress topper?
To select the best mattress toppers, we started by considering more than 70 popular brands. We narrowed the options by eliminating toppers that aren’t certified by CertiPUR-US or don’t meet global organic latex standards. All of our top picks for mattress toppers are made from quality materials, have positive customer reviews and include either a sleep trial period or warranty.
Our favorite memory foam mattress toppers:
Our favorite pillow-top mattress toppers:
Our favorite latex mattress toppers:
How to choose a mattress topper
As you consider our top picks for best mattress toppers, it’s essential to choose one that offers the maximum comfort for your sleeping style. Knowing what to look for in temperature control features and thickness also helps you narrow down your choices.
- Temperature control: Mattress topper cooling technologies pull heat away from your body as you sleep. Temperature control mattress toppers are made with gel foams and breathable materials like bamboo and cotton that help regulate airflow. These mattresses sometimes include charcoal and copper to wick away moisture and reduce odors.
- Mattress topper thickness: Mattress toppers range in thickness, but most are between 2 to 4 inches. A 2-inch thick mattress topper is the right choice if you have a brand new mattress and want an additional layer of comfort. An extra-thick mattress topper helps reduce sagging and increases your bed’s height.
- Firmness/softness: Toppers made of memory foam and latex are the firmest models, while toppers made from wool or down are the softest options. The right firmness option for you varies based on your sleep style.
- Side sleepers: Soft toppers are better for side sleepers because they let you sink into the mattress, which relieves weight on pressure points while offering support for the entire body. Pillow-top mattress toppers are usually the best choice for side sleepers.
- Stomach sleepers: Stomach sleepers often have back and neck pain, so they should look for a firmer mattress topper known for providing overall support. Latex is one of the best mattress toppers for stomach sleepers.
- Back sleepers: Firmness is key for back sleepers. Thick and firm toppers made of memory foam, gel foam or latex give back sleepers the support they need. Gel-infused memory foam mattress toppers are often best for relieving back pain.
Compare mattress toppers
Those looking for a firmer mattress topper should consider memory foam, convoluted foam, gel foam or latex. Pillow-top, cotton and plush mattress toppers are a little softer.
|Sleep Innovations||Memory foam||4”|
|Duck & Goose||Microfiber||2”|
|ViscoSoft||Alternative down, gel memory foam||4”|
|Marine Moon||Alternative down||3”|
|Materials||Memory foam||Memory foam||Memory foam||Microfiber||Alternative down, gel memory foam||Alternative down||Latex||Latex||Latex, foam|
Find the best memory foam mattress toppers
Memory foam mattress toppers are great for aligning your neck, spine and hips while you sleep. Foam can also trap heat, so all of our top picks for memory foam mattress toppers have features to keep you cool while you sleep.
Sleep Innovations Dual Layer Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
We recommend this mattress topper because it’s comfortable, stays in place and uses high-quality materials that make it a smart value for the money. Sleep Innovations’ dual-layer gel mattress topper has 2 inches of fiberfill and 2 inches of memory foam. The memory foam is infused with gel to help regulate sleeping temperatures. This topper also includes a removable cover that helps decrease motion transfer.
Lucid Lavender-Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
If your old mattress is stressing you out, you might like that Lucid infuses its memory foam with a calming lavender scent. The contouring foam helps align your spine, and it’s ventilated to maximize airflow while you sleep. This mattress topper doesn’t come with a cover, but it’s lightweight and easy to set up. Customers also like that it's comfortable, durable and a good value for the price.
Linenspa Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
If you wake up with aches every morning, you can get relief with this 3-inch memory foam mattress topper. Linenspa’s gel-infused, high-density polyurethane foam helps align your spine and provides support for your lower back and hips. According to positive reviews, the mattress topper is easy to set up, very comfortable and helps with back pain.
Find the best pillow-top mattress toppers
Pillow-top mattress toppers are great for those who want additional padding on a firm mattress.
Duck & Goose Thick Plush Mattress Topper
A Duck & Goose plush mattress topper is an excellent alternative to memory foam options. This microfiber and alternative down topper is ideal for mattresses that are too firm. Plus, we like that its square-shape stitching ensures the filling stays secure. To get the most out of this mattress topper, be sure to wash it before using it. This helps optimize the fluffiness.
ViscoSoft Pillow-Top Mattress Topper
ViscoSoft uses 2.5 inches of temperature-neutral gel memory foam and 1.5 inches of fluffy down alternative to add a plush layer of pressure-relieving comfort to your mattress. We like that it includes a removable and washable cover. Plus, changes to its formula ensure there's no “new car” smell when you first open it. ViscoSoft provides a five-year warranty and 60-day trial period.
Marine Moon Plush Pillow-Top Mattress Topper
Marine Moon’s plush mattress toppers are made with a down alternative that provides natural airflow and maximum comfort. Its microfiber materials are also hypoallergenic. We like that this topper is comfortable, soft and a good value for the money, according to reviews. Plus, it’s easy to re-fluff after use by laying it out in the sun or putting it in the dryer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Find the best latex mattress toppers
Latex mattress toppers are great for adding support and relieving pressure points. Plus, latex is naturally resistant to mildew and free of most allergens.
Sleep On Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Sleep On uses 100% natural latex that is soft but also supportive. This natural latex foam mattress topper has tiny air chambers that create more airflow while you sleep. We like that this mattress topper is comfortable and durable, according to reviews. Plus, Pure Green latex mattress toppers don’t include any fillers and comply with the strictest volatile organic compounds (VOC) standards.
Naturally Nestled Organic Latex Mattress Topper
Naturally Nestled uses certified organic latex that is USDA-certified and meets Control Union Certifications’ Global Organic Latex Standard. There’s no synthetic fillers, flame retardants or unnecessary chemicals in this all-natural mattress topper. We also like that the topper also includes an organic cotton cover that meets the Global Organic Textile Standard. According to the manufacturer, this medium-firm topper is best for back and stomach sleepers. Customers rate this topper highly for improving sleep quality and being a good value.
Inofia Dual Layer Latex Mattress Topper
Inofia’s latex mattress cover utilizes high-elasticity Latexpur foam that is durable but still breathable. The latex foam has a honeycomb structure that increases air circulation. Charcoal support foam also helps decrease stress on pressure points while you sleep. Customers like that this mattress topper is comfortable without being too hard or soft. Plus, this bed topper comes with a natural linen cover that’s easy to wash and eco-friendly.
Mattress toppers FAQ
- What is a mattress topper?
- Much like it sounds, a mattress topper is an additional layer that can be placed on top of a mattress. Mattress toppers are made from different types of materials. Some of the most common mattress topper materials are foam, latex, feather (or down alternative) and wool.
- What does a mattress topper do?
- A mattress topper adds a layer of support and comfort to an existing mattress. This serves as an extension of the mattress and is a cost-effective option for people who need to upgrade their older bed but don’t want to buy a brand new one.
A mattress topper adds an extra layer of firmness to an older bed that is getting too soft or sagging in the middle. Mattress toppers come in all sizes and can be a comfortable and supportive option for all bed types.
- How much is a mattress topper?
- The average queen-size mattress topper price is between $75 to $150, depending on materials and features. Memory foam mattress topper costs are usually at the higher end, while cheaper toppers are made from down alternatives or microfiber.
- What kind of mattress topper should I get?
- If you like a really firm mattress, you should get a topper made of memory foam or latex. Other common mattress topper materials include convoluted foam, feather, down alternative, wool and bamboo.
- Memory foam: Memory foam mattress toppers contour to your body and help isolate movement. However, memory foam materials can also reduce airflow, which makes you hotter when you sleep.
- Convoluted foam: Convoluted foam mattress toppers are less supportive than other materials. This material is best for side sleepers.
- Feather: Feather mattress toppers are very soft and redirect heat. It’s one of the most cost-effective topper materials but can irritate those with sensitive allergies.
- Down alternative: Down alternative mattress toppers provide less support and pressure relief than memory foam. Down alternative and fiber materials are best for those shopping on a budget or those with allergies.
- Latex: Latex mattress toppers are usually more firm than a memory foam topper. Latex is hypoallergenic and ideal for sore joints and arthritis. However, some consumers don’t like that latex toppers come with a rubbery smell.
- Wool: Wool is naturally soft, hypoallergenic and resistant to dust and mildew. Wool mattress toppers are also harder to find and more expensive than other materials.
- Bamboo: People like bamboo mattress toppers because of their soft, silky texture. Bamboo material is breathable and helps regulate body temperature, which makes it great for mattress topper covers.
- What is a mattress topper vs. pad?
- A mattress topper is often considered a more advanced version of a mattress pad. While they are both designed to add extra comfort to your mattress, a mattress topper is tailored to your specific bed, body type, and sleep style to offer maximum support. Mattress pads are for comfort; mattress toppers are for comfort and support.
- How do you clean mattress topper?
- It depends on the material. Memory foam mattress toppers can't go in the washing machine. These toppers can be vacuumed or hand washed. Most toppers can be spot-cleaned with warm water and a few drops of liquid soap. Wool and cotton mattress toppers can be cleaned in the washing machine, but it’s crucial to read and follow the cleaning instructions on the label.
- How do I keep my mattress topper from sliding?
- There are many ways to keep your mattress topper in place. You can use sheet suspenders, a no-skid mat or safety pins.