Disclosures

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Upgrade

Upgrade is an online and mobile banking solution that offers personal loans, credit cards and deposit accounts. With Upgrade, customers can combine online and mobile banking with affordable loans and cards, high-yield savings accounts and rewards checking accounts. Customers also benefit from free credit monitoring, alerts and credit education tools. Upgrade’s fully online service offers fast transactions, simple approval and easy banking.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Fast approvals
  • Loans up to $50,000
  • 5.21% APY on savings accounts
  • Same-day transfers up to $100,000
Cons
  • $10 late fee on loans
  • High origination fee

Stars Rating

• 87%
  • 4%
  • 1%
  • 1%
  • 6%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Upgrade?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Upgrade?
    Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Dec. 25, 2023

Will recommend Upgrade to family and friends. Easy to apply, quickly approved. Funds was transferred to my account within two to three business days. Uploading documents was easy a day quick. I will recommended to everyone, try it for yourself. It's really easy and fast. You will be satisfied. Great customer service as well. They will help you if you have questions. Thanks for helping with my financial needs. :)

Hello Barbara,

Reviewed Dec. 21, 2023

Went well. Very easy they walk you through everything. You get your loan in two or three business days. They deposit it right into your bank account. So everything went well they check with you and let you know how everything is going... They check on you after the loans.

Hello Jeff,

Reviewed Dec. 19, 2023

All my dealings with Upgrade have been excellent!! Would definitely recommend for credit card and personal loans. Ease of application and review and quick decision. Upgrade app is user friendly and convenient to keep track of accounts. Have not needed to use customer services as everything has been smooth and seamless.

Hello Suzanne,

Customer ServiceOnline & AppStaffLoan Process

Reviewed Dec. 18, 2023

Got an offer to apply through the mail. I was skeptical at first. Smooth process when filling out online application. Application was easy. Online process was great. They distributed monies where they should go. No problems when I called customer service to check on loan status and they followed up immediately. I would recommend them to a friend or family member.

Hello Cheryl,

Thank you for being a valued customer!

Profile pic of the author.
    Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Dec. 15, 2023

Upgrade reduced my credit limit by more than $1500, which was $750 less than my current balance, causing me to exceed my limit. I contacted Upgrade several times to get this issue reversed, but they declined. I highlighted that I consistently made timely payments and paid the total amount every time, which applies to my credit accounts with Upgrade and all my other accounts.

Decreasing credit limits can significantly impact individuals who rely on their available credit for various reasons, such as emergencies, large purchases, or improving their credit score. It can also lead to financial hardship and stress for those already struggling with debt. In addition, having a lowered credit limit can affect the overall health of an individual's credit report. It can result in derogatory marks and lower available credit, decreasing the credit score.

Hello Bill,

We’re sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with your experience at Upgrade.

We make it a priority to take into account our customers' concerns to try and improve our level of customer experience.

We appreciate that you took the time to let us know that our service level didn't meet your expectations.

Profile pic of the author.
    Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Dec. 15, 2023

Upgrade was fantastic to work with UNTIL I did a balance transfer of my remaining balance to another lender for 0%. They punished me for paying off my balance early. I had a $10,000 line of credit with them that I used for projects (I'm a house flipper). I had a balance of about $7,000 from a previous project on this LOC. Because I was planning to start another project I transferred this balance to another card that I had with a 0% balance transfer rate. I did this purposely so that I could use the full $10,000 from Upgrade for my new project. But Upgrade almost immediately REDUCED MY LINE OF CREDIT TO $3,000! I couldn't believe it.

When I called them they said that they "re-evaluate" every 6 months but could not give me any examples or specific reasons as to why they made that decision. The only comment the rep made repeatedly is that it is "part of their re-evaluation process". But nothing in my credit history or debt ratio changed to cause this. The ONLY change was the balance transfer. But now that my credit utilization jumped due to Upgrade reducing my credit limit, my credit score dropped. So once that happened they REDUCED MY LIMIT EVEN MORE TO $1200! Because they were unhappy with a personal finance move that I made, they caused me multiple problems with not only my personal life but my professional life as well. I am thankful that I had the resources to continue working on my projects but moves like this could be very damaging to someone's life who might not have backup resources. That is no way to treat customers Upgrade! Shame on you!

Hello Jen,

Customer ServiceStaffLoan Process

Reviewed Dec. 13, 2023

My experience with Upgrade was seamless and QUICK! Within a matter of days, my credit cards were paid and the remaining balance was in my personal account. Every customer service representative I spoke with was professional, knowledgeable and friendly. The only issue I came across was when I uploaded the requested documents, the site did not acknowledge they were uploaded.

Hi Cheryl,

Customer Service

Reviewed Dec. 12, 2023

My rewards checking and premier savings accounts were suspended without any info. My debit card attached to rewards checking account also frozen. I called customer service and they said my accounts were under investigation by the back office without providing any further information. I’m unable to access my funds or make any transfers.

Hello Robert,

Online & App

Reviewed Dec. 11, 2023

Upgrade was there when I needed them most. Quick Cash to pay some bills without liquidating my sterling investment portfolio. Thanks Upgrade for all you do. I would recommend them to anybody who is in need of some quick cash when they are in a pinch. Their web site is intuitive and easy to use and their tech support is there when you need them.

Hello Christopher,

Online & AppRates

Reviewed Dec. 4, 2023

The online application process was easy to follow and not overly lengthy. I appreciated seeing the options for term of the loan and the impact those options had on interest rates. I will recommend Upgrade to my friends and colleagues.

Hello Robert,

Customer ServiceLoan Process

Reviewed Nov. 26, 2023

I applied for a loan through Upgrade and had nothing but negative experiences. The loan was not approved in the timeframe they claimed it would be, and once approved, the money did not arrive. When I called to check on the holdup, my request was canceled, so I had to go back through the application process again. Rather than the few days the company claimed to take to fulfill the loan, it took nearly a month, which led to more fees and fines from the accounts it was supposed to be paying.

Once the loan was completed, paying it off was an even worse experience. I repeatedly paid my monthly amount, which would show "Posted," only to show "Failed," weeks later, putting my payments behind. Contacting them did absolutely nothing to help. Literally, any other option would've been preferable to using this company. I have never had or heard of such a problematic experience with a financial institution. At this point, I'm considering just letting the loan go into collections, as at least then my payments would actually count for something and go toward paying off the debt, rather than inexplicably disappearing.

Hello William,

Rates

Reviewed Nov. 20, 2023

I've used Upgrade in the past and they have never let me down. Decent rates and lengths of time to pay loan back. Will definitely recommend to anyone that needs a loan or a way to consolidate debt. Kept in mind that it will take a few day to get credit cards paid. I've be waiting 2 weeks now for this one.

Hello James,

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2023

I applied for a personal loan. Within two days, I was approved, and the money was immediately in my account. The loan process was pretty easy and quick, minimal work. My only issue is the high APR, but then again that’s pretty much everywhere now. Thanks Upgrade for helping me get back on track.

Hello Rachel,

StaffLoan Process

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2023

I am so glad that I applied for a loan & was approved. Definitely been able to consolidate my debt in these uncertain times. This is such a relief to know that they are there to help. I’m glad I took the time to read and understand the process to be approved within a week.

Hello Francisco,

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2023

I love the way the customer service was polite, friendly and helpful in answering questions and informative on the products. They asked questions to make sure that they have the correct customer and to make sure there’s no fraud. If there is something that you don’t understand or what to do, they take their time and go through everything and make sure that you are satisfied and everything is completed to the customer satisfaction. Well done and thank you very much for your customer care.

Hello Deborah,

StaffRates

Reviewed Nov. 8, 2023

I wasn't told upfront about the penalty that is subtracted from your loan amount. I was expecting 13,000 to be deposited into my account but instead I received 11,600!!! I was a completely shocked, and I still have to pay the full amount of 13,000 plus interest, I definitely would've reconsidered moving forward had I known this large amount would be subtracted from my loan amount, I could've looked into a home equity loan at my bank, with zero hidden fees. Therefore, I will pay this 13,000 plus interest back as soon as possible and close my account! In the future train your representatives to tell the customer upfront the trap they are signing up for! :-(

Reviewed Oct. 27, 2023

From start to finish the whole thing was done online and took just a few minutes. The process was so simple and easy that I kept waiting for "the catch", but it never came. I got an incredible rate and the money was in my account within two days. I could not have been more thrilled with the experience, and highly recommend Upgrade.

Hello Kimberly,

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2023

This is the 3rd time with Upgrade. Being approved for 2 of my loans has been helpful for what my need was at the time. I also have the Upgrade card that gives me the convenience, if an unexpected situation comes up, to pay as needed instead of borrowing more. I would recommend Upgrade to everyone.

Hello Marianne,

Loan Process

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2023

I needed a loan for a credit card consolidation. I had used Upgrade before for a loan and had good service. The loan application was a very easy process and I received the funds I needed in a quick and timely manner. Part of the funds went directly to the credit card and part of it went to my bank account. Making it a very smooth transaction. I would definitely use them again.

Hello Roger,

Customer Service

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2023

The loans were paid off in September. The balance been "O" for over a month. The worst company I have ever dealt with. They will give you nothing but excuses. I want to give them no star because that's what they deserve. The customer service? What a joke. I file a dispute with a credit bureau and they still on my credit like I owe them money. They will illegally run your credit and if goes down they will lower your credit limit with Upgrade. How there they say that the information is accurate on my account to the credit bureau.? I cannot wait to see another lame excuse from them. Stay away. Save yourself a headache.

Hello Louis,

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2023

This is my second loan from Upgrade and it’s so easy. I can’t believe how fast they are. If you need money fast and easy this is the place to get your loan. If I need anything after this is paid off, I will choose Upgrade again. I also choose autopay to make it even easier.

Hello Daniel,

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2023

Received my personal loan so quickly, no hold ups, received it so quickly, I can not thank them enough. Proud to have them in my life. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. They again gave me what I requested. Yes I will tell anyone they will help you if you show them you will pay your bills

Hello Eddie,

Reviewed Oct. 13, 2023

Upgrade has been a god sent… Very easy process. Everything done online in a timely manner. Reddit score is not the best but definitely not the worst and rebuilding with the help of upgrade even thinking about refinancing my car with them. I have been recommending them to everyone. If you haven’t tried them you should better interest rates than any other company and again very easy and simple and quick process.

Hello Shelley,

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedOnline & AppStaffLoan ProcessRates

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2023

It was a very easy and quick process and customer service was very friendly. The application process was very easy to complete and funds were deposited very quickly. Interest rates are fair and all the information I needed to complete the process was very upfront. Customer service was cheerful and pleasant.

Hello Melissa,

Reviewed Oct. 4, 2023

I got a line of credit to go to school and everything has gone fine until this year when they keep lowering my credit limit as a big thank you for making every payment on time. They appear to lower it after every payment. Not all credit cards utilize this very frustrating and unfair practice. They choose to, so I say choose another company, or better yet, avoid credit cards or loans at all cost.

Hello Tyan,

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedLoan ProcessRates

Reviewed Oct. 2, 2023

Very easy to apply. Fast reply. Fast funding. Very competitive rates and fees. A pleasure to do business with. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone looking to consolidate their credit card debt. I applied online. It was a fast easy process. Easy to read and understand instructions.

Hello Michael,

Reviewed Sept. 29, 2023

Excellent company...Was efficient and quick with my loan application...I would recommend this company to anyone who want to borrow money with a decent interest rate....Also, they keep you informed of all the activity regarding your account...This loan is great for your credit score...especially if you are trying to increase it.

Hello Margie,

Reviewed Sept. 28, 2023

Easy company to work with. No complaints.. Other than could have used a little better interest rate. But, it's been a easy process so far. And I really, really, really, really need a better rate... They did do exactly what they said they would and you can't really ask for anything else. I would refer others to use this company.

Hello Darrell,

Rates

Reviewed Sept. 25, 2023

This is my second time getting a loan with Upgrade. Easy to load documents and identify bank electronically. Have the credit card also. Easy payments back and no penalty if paid off early. Got better interest rate because paid off my credit cards which I wanted to do in the first place.

Hello Amanda,

Punctuality & SpeedLoan ProcessRates

Reviewed Sept. 25, 2023

Made it very easy and simple to apply for a loan. No hassle at all. Everything was self explanatory. Was quick and let you know immediately if you were approved. I would definitely refer a friend to apply if they need a loan. Great rates which are easy to handle.

Hello Deborah,