Suntrust

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Was constantly being offered a loan through them. To finally fill out the paperwork only to be denied. Have right at or over a 700 beacon. Also was told by managers "get your score up and we will do anything to help you." I am disappointed and only wanted help after doing all I was told to do. I am thinking of pulling my account after all these years. Advice to others. Don't apply for anything with them. They will only pull your credit, call, ask questions and I was honest as what to use it for them to say no.

Julie of Gladstone, MO on Oct. 11, 2016... The exact same thing happened to me. I received 8 notices that "My overdraft protection was approved" and 8 that said my account was closed, all on 11/9/16. Ironically, the account closing was dated 10/31/16, and the ODP notice is dated 11/01/16. Seems legit. So when I called, they asked me for my SS number too. I didn't give it to them. So today I get 5 letters in the mail saying "Due to information obtained during a review of your account, we have determined it is necessary to close your relationship with SunTrust immediately." The wording of the letters seem suspect.

When I called the phone number; the people who answered could barely speak English, and acted in a way that did not seem professional. Especially when they asked for private information in order to help me. Something doesn't add up about this bank, or whatever it is. I notified the credit bureaus, and I think I will notify law enforcement as well.

SunTrust obviously has ongoing security issues (or a real ** IT department or both) as access to accounts is not available way more than most other banking sites. I've never seen a banking site undergo more scheduled maintenance than this one. My advice to SunTrust: If you cannot figure out a way to support online banking like it should be supported, then just throw in the towel and go back to paper ledgers during regular business hours. Expect to lose a lot of your customers though when you revert back to the sixties.

We purchased a home in 2013, and financed the loan through SunTrust Mortgage. One of the conditions of the loan was that the mortgage payment be directly debited each month from a SunTrust bank account. To satisfy this requirement, we opened a SunTrust bank account and set up a direct funds transfer at the end of each month from our other bank to cover the mortgage payment. For over three years, this has been a seamless and fully electronic relationship, which benefits us and also the bank and mortgage company. The funds are transferred at the end of each month and the mortgage company debits the SunTrust account on the tenth of the following month.

Two days ago I received a call from SunTrust Mortgage stating that our October payment was delinquent, as the SunTrust bank account had been closed. Upon investigation, we were informed that the bank closed the account due to the fact we had not been visited the bank or verified our account (what?!), despite the fact that there was activity each month, inbound credit from us and outbound debit from SunTrust Mortgage. At the time of the account closure, the account contained the amount of our monthly mortgage but as the account was closed, the sister SunTrust Mortgage company was unable to collect the payment!

We now need to request a refund, which will take 90 days, open a new account by physically visiting the bank, inform our other bank of the change in monthly ACH account numbers, and make a second monthly mortgage payment this month since our funds will not be released pending some kind of 90 day review. We will be investigating alternatives to this relationship, and would advise anybody considering a bank to AVOID SunTrust.

I was contacted by Suntrust letting me know that my debit card number was used in a another state. My card was frozen by Suntrust. When I tried to get information on the activity, I was given the runaround, transferred from one person to another. The first contact told me that my request for a printout showing where my card number was used assured me that I would get copy of this. When I never received that paperwork, I called back and was told that they did not have any information. I believe that this information should be available, since it is my money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Active duty personnel BEWARE! We had a mortgage with SunTrust for fifteen years (15) and paid "on time" thru five (5) deployments, thru PCS moves and absentee/evicted tenants only to be reported as delinquent on the very LAST mortgage payment. When closing on the property was delayed by Buyer's lender! We were advised IN WRITING by Suntrust mortgage representative that "August payment was NOT reported" but discovered a 24 point drop in our credit score due to Suntrust report that it was!!! It is a serious infraction of the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act and are contacting an attorney to resolve this matter in court. DO NOT do business with this company!

Worst online banking compared to other banks. Suntrust constantly has a feature unavailable and logging in is almost impossible. 90% of my log in attempts are unsuccessful due to the system not recognizing my log in information and deems it incorrect when it is in fact correct. The mobile app is even worse. I have yet been able to log on using the app. Also compared to other banks, Suntrust does not offer mobile deposits and for limit Suntrust locations in my area, that would of been a great selling feature for me to stay with Suntrust. But with my inability to log on and check the status of my account, I will be leaving Suntrust for another bank.

I received items in the mail from Suntrust in Nashville TN indicating that I had applied for overdraft protection on EIGHT accounts. I DO NOT have any account with Suntrust. There is no Suntrust branch anywhere near where I live. I called the fraud investigations phone number listed on their website and they would not help me unless I provided my social security number. That is ridiculous. They should be able to pull up any accounts in my name. The only account information on the notices that I received was the last 4 digits of these EIGHT accounts. If they can't correlate my name and address and the last 4 digits of acct numbers for their investigation, they have a BIG problem. I am reporting this to the police in my city tomorrow.

My elderly mother's Suntrust account was accessed by crooks who stole her personal information. The crooks were able to trick Suntrust phone support into canceling my mom's credit card and having a new one sent to a fraudulent address. When I noticed unusual activity I immediately notified Suntrust, yet the fraudulent transactions have continued for over 2 weeks. I visited my local Suntrust branch, I have a power of attorney on file with Suntrust for my mom, yet the local branch manager was unwilling to assist me.

As result of Suntrust refusing to help me at my local branch, I had to drive 200 miles and pick up my elderly mom at her assisted living facility and take her to the local Suntrust in her area. As result of having to take my elderly mother to the Suntrust branch, I had to tell my mom about the fraudulent activity on her Suntrust account, which of course upset her greatly. The branch manager at the branch where my mom lives was helpful at first, but has not followed through as she said she would, and has left my mother and I to deal with online support. I would avoid banking at Suntrust bank and deal with a local bank and or credit union where you will get better security, safety and service.

I shopped on Walmart.com and bought things over $500 dollars... Next thing I know I get a fraud alert. What!!! The stupid bank almost froze my account. If I did not call back they would of cancelled my account. What jerks...

Please do not deposit your checks into Suntrust bank. If you do then it's a very good chance that Suntrust will misuse and or abuse your money. In other words you may never see that deposit at all. Who is monitoring these banks to make sure they are not breaking the rules or are they just able to do whatever it is that they want to do and nothing. I mean nothing is being done about it. How is it that they can just steal your money by chewing it up in made up fees and unorthodox charges and no one seems to care. It's just wrong. And it's bad to say that Suntrust is not the only bank and credit union to do this to customers. Wells Fargo, BancorpSouth, Renasant, Members Exchange, Regions, Trustmark, BankPlus to name a few.

All have that same reputation for false promises to consumers just to get their business in order to steal your money. I have had about 800.00 of my money stolen from these crook banks over the past 4 weeks and that was my food, gas and light bill and water bill money. I don't know what I'm going to do for money for the next 2 months. It's ridiculous what we have to go through dealing with these crook banks, there has to be a better way. Suntrust took my whole direct deposit, closed my account and now I owe them money. Where's the justification in this I ask you, please tell me. There isn't any, something just has to change.

I have only been with Suntrust since March and this is by far the worst financial institution I have EVER had!! I opened my account with 6,000 cash but when I deposited my paycheck a week later they decided that it could be fraudulent and froze my entire account. It took them a week to decide that my paycheck was good and unfreeze my account.

Then they are continuously hitting me with overdraft fees which I thought maybe I am just messing something up but nope I'm not. I write everything in my Suntrust issued register (you know the one they give you to keep up with your account). Well I finally caught them!! I used my card on Monday and Tuesday then wrote a car payment check on Friday. Now I had wrote in my register exactly what I had spent and knew what my balance would be (which granted I was scraping pennies) but they waited a week before they took out my debit purchases, they cleared my large check and then hit me with $216.00 in overdraft fees when I have in my Suntrust issued register that I should have only been negative 40.00 plus the 36.00 fee. So that is negative 76.00, Not negative 264.00.

Sandra (the bank lady) says that you cant go by the balance at the ATM or online or apparently by my own register and that I should be more responsible. REALLY!! I wrote down everything like I was supposed to and did what I was supposed to. They are just a bunch of corporate greed ** robbing from the little people!! Don't believe my story? Keep reading the complaints. There are many, many more just like me!! Obviously I switched banks and refuse to pay for their mistake. ** SUNTRUST!! They don't deserve a star.

I realized Suntrust had been charging abhorrently large maintenance fees to my account for years. It began to bother me especially when I realized the fee didn't correspond to any fee schedule they advertised. I mean 20 or so years of using my money, you'd think they would let me know I could do better. So to remedy this, I had to close one account and open another. Everything was supposed to transfer to the new account, cut up the old card. Well that didn't happen. My deposit went to the account I thought was closed, and they charged me twice for a return check fee, even after I went to the branch and told them I didn't want any payments made from that account.

They hadn't linked the new account to online banking, so I couldn't even see it. I come to find out an account stays open for 30 days. It only closes if no one attempts to put a charge on that account. CLOSE THE ACCOUNT! How hard is that? I am moving my business away from ST in the first place because THREE times a scheduled online payment didn't happen. THREE times to the same competitive bank. Go figure. By time three, I knew it wasn't my fault. They of course have no record of it. Then how about this bank representative opening up a line of credit I didn't ask for? SOOO tired of dealing with these people.

I transferred $75 from my savings to my checking account at 11:00 AM which brought my balance to $113. Later that afternoon, I wrote two checks to that totaled $30 and had a debit card purchase of $26. Suntrust charged me a $36 overdraft fee for each of the checks ($72 total) even though I had enough money in the account to cover the purchases. My online statement even shows a positive balance after each check & overdraft fee is applied. I have called Suntrust customer service 5 times and after jumping through hoops to get a person on the phone the call just drops. I don't see how this is legal.

My payroll funds are electronically deposited into my account. The funds are supposed to be available on Thursday. This month my payroll funds were kept in pending status for 24 hours after they should have been available to me. I believe they were holding the funds in pending status so that when I paid my house payment they would hopefully overdraw my account. Their policy states that payroll funds that are electronically received are to be available immediately. I will be checking my account very closely to see if they do this again. Who can I complain to in order have this investigated?

UNBELIEVABLE, Suntrust needs common sense! I was next in line and waited 47 minutes or more at the Suntrust-in store Publix Cosby Station. The teller, Ms. C. ** literally spent over 47 minutes with a man with major banking issues! I'm speechless! Tell him to move on! In all my years of banking I can't believe this employee let this happen with one teller available! Where's the management? Thank God I was helping one of my out of town employees deposit and Thank God I don't bank at Suntrust! They have no sense!

I opened a checking account to have my pay go directly to Suntrust and was promised that after a few months I would receive $100-200 dollars deposited into my account. It didn't happen, so I contacted them and they sent me a message that they did not see any promotional code listed on my account.

I didn't want to open an account with Suntrust, because I refuse to pay for a checking account. The ladies at Suntrust told me they'd waive the fee for a year, so I signed up. They didn't tell me about the paper statement fees. When that fee hit my account, it sent it into the negative. I visited branch closest to me and was treated very poorly. After visiting the downtown branch, I told that it had all been corrected. Five days later, here I sit at Suntrust again, with another overdraft fee because too much time has passed. After I sit here on my lunch break, and close this POS, I'm hitting every review site in existence.

For the second time, Suntrust bank refuses to keep its promise of depositing $150.00 to its first time customers, who open a checking account, along with direct deposit and the use of its bank card for shopping. This is exactly what has happened to me. I complied with all the bank's condition, so that I would receive the above promotional money -- to no avail! The funny part of it is that no one -- either in the branch or the central headquarters wants to acknowledge that there was such a promotion. I am now in the process of retaining an attorney to resolve this issue. The bottom line: No trust in Suntrust!

Check made out to cash on my account was cashed by Suntrust Bank. Suntrust Bank cashed a check payable to cash on my Capital One Checking account. Person who endorsed back of check is scammer. I need address, I only have their Suntrust account number.

On several occasions I have experienced a lack of interest from management of this bank. Don't even think of calling them, you will be treated like a pest or 'disconnected'. Even though I knew I had a more than adequate balance I experienced my debit card being denied. So I called, and was asked if I had called the number on the back of the card. She then changed her mind and said she would connect me with someone who would help me. After 5 minutes on hold, I hung up. I called the number on the back of the card and got to talk to someone who was very mechanical and checked with the "security desk". I was told there was a suspicious attempt at a purchase online, I said "THAT WAS ME".

My AC went out and I was trying to order one thru site to store and made a mistake on the input. Not serious enough to lock my debit card, but you can't communicate this to them. ALL of this could and should have been handled by the tellers but they are not allowed to make customer phone calls a priority. This was not the first time I have had an issue with blocking access to my money or phone calls. The first phone call issue was when I tried to RETURN the call of a teller who was helping me consolidate my credit cards to a Suntrust credit card, but the witch in the back would give her the message.

This mini bank is convenient, but THAT IS ALL. So now I look for another bank, maybe I can find one who isn't so twitchy. I have to give kudos to the tellers, they are the sweetest and most helpful people, but aren't allowed to answer phone calls. The first block on my card was handled without the hassle or insults; handled by a teller. After a full day on the job, having to go back out to go to the bank for a little problems like that cancels out any 'convenience' their location provided.

I had a problem with a duplicate charge on my account and needed to speak with someone. They advertise that they are available on Saturday from 8-5. I called and waited over 1.5 hours with no one answering in their side. I called back today, Monday and they answered after over an hour of waiting. The person I spoke with was rude and after being put on hold, she disconnected me. I will switching banks ASAP. A very disgusting display or lack thereof of customer service.

My son moved to Atlanta to start a new job. The job turned out to be people impersonating a company in Arizona. The impersonators sent him a check to deposit into our joint account for $6,900.00, which he did. They then told him to withdraw the money the next day and put it into a Bank of America account so the "software engineer" could purchase the hardware and software my son would need for his new job. The check of course was fraudulent. We filed a claim with the Suntrust Fraud dept. and my son also went to the Atlanta police and filed a claim. I called the Suntrust fraud dept 4 times and was never able to find out anything and they never contacted me!

It turns out after I got my bank statement almost a month later that Suntrust STOLE $6,900.00 out of my personal account to cover the fraudulent check and they are refusing to return my money to me. I am being victimized by Suntrust. They should be going after the people who wrote the bad check not me. Why did we file a fraud report with them if they just took my money without even telling me? Is this how you treat your loyal customers???

My loan was sold to Suntrust at some point - my first payment to them was March 2016. Shortly after I received notification, I called to find out what I needed to do to ensure the tax bill was paid on time. The person on the other end said that they receive the bills directly from the town and that I did not have to do anything but I could fax them if I wanted to. So I tried to fax and it kept failing so I called back. I asked if I could scan and email or upload to confirm receipt and they said "no, we don't do that here" so I asked if they had a different fax number.

As it turns out, these were supplemental bills which the town does not send directly and they needed to be faxed; I faxed in the documents in March. In early June, I receive demand for payment notification from the town indicating that if the payment was not received in 2 weeks, there would be additional fees. I was told that it would require an investigation that would take 2 weeks so I requested that it be expedited. The person told me they would submit that request. I called back a week or so later and was told that the parcel ID number on the bill was wrong and it would need to be straightened out before the bill could be paid. They said it would take another 2 weeks. This goes on and on for many weeks. I spoke with a Desi, Nathan, Laura, Sandy, Miss ** and others - I stopped taking their names as it had become useless.

I finally received a call at the end of July to let me know that it had been paid. It cost me an additional $100 in fees that they were unwilling to take responsibility for. When I finally received the notification, I called the town to confirm. The town had no record of payment (which I later found out that the only the request for payment had been submitted) and furthermore informed me that the regular tax bill had not been paid and was also late. It is now mid-August and I have yet to hear back. Now another payment was due on 8/1 and my bet would be that it also has not been paid. I wish I could fire them.

They are absolute criminals. They don't show things as being processed on online banking on the day they supposedly "go through" until the next day and then they purposely rearrange things to cause you to overdraft. In addition to that, they charged me an overdraft fee for an item that is still pending. The customer service they outsource to whatever country is laughable. You'll be on hold for 30 minutes before they even answer and then they refuse to acknowledge that the transaction has not gone through and will not return the fee.

Their lack of communication and business etiquette is appalling. I have had a business account with them for 20 years. 20 years I have been doing the same type of deposits and transactions. Two days ago they decided out of the blue that "something with a deposit was not right." That was the branch manager's exact words according to their fraud department. No one contacted me to notify me of a problem. They just decided to freeze my account after I deposited $10,000. I found out when I tried to log into my account.

When I called all I was told is that the fraud department flagged our account and froze it, are closing it and they would send us a check! This is a business I have bills to pay. So in the meantime they have my money and are declining all my online payments. We are a service company and we deposit 20-50 check daily, have been for the last 20 years. We did nothing different. The branch manager basically said the same as the phone representative, no real reason as to why and that we would have to wait for our $10,000 to be mailed to us.

On 8/4 we made a mobile deposit of $1000 via the app. On Friday we were trying to ensure the funds were available, and noticed our account had been closed. Upon contacting Suntrust we were told that our account was set to a "no debit status" and the check we had deposited was being held until the 11th because they received "confidential information" that the check was not good. I was told that after the 11th they would hold the money for 5 more business days and then a check would be mailed to me within 7 to 10. That means this money would not be available to me until around the 25th of August. This is a paycheck.

I was contacted by Audrey ** on 8/9 due to me tweeting about this issue. She stated that Suntrust contacted the financial institution where the check was written from and we're told that the funds were available. She stated that this was not enough information for them to release the $1000 to us. I was then able to provide her with a copy of the canceled check where it had cleared on 8/5. I was then told that this would still need to be reviewed by their "back office." Because of them not allowing my family to have this money we have overdrawn our other account, and have accumulated fees and have not been able to pay our rent. All because Suntrust made a false assumption.

ATM not working is a continual problem. Just in the last 6 months, I have incidents that have caused overdraft fees. I monitor my account daily and when I notice that if an item has not cleared and I need to put money in my account to prevent overdraft I deposit cash. I go to the outside ATM, insert my card, the ATM freezes up and won't release my card. The employees at the branch can't release my card and a remote service has to fix it. The employees wave at me when they leave but say if I have any items bounce they will refund the fees. I wait over an hour and finally my card is released and the ATM shuts down and I can't make my deposit and I get overdraft fees, but they reimburse.

Another time, I have tried to deposit cash trying to beat the 9pm deadline and get to the ATM at 8:45 but it is broke and the nearest ATM is 45 min round trip. 6 debit transactions hit and Suntrust refused to refund all of the multiple fees assessed because they have already given me my "get out jail card." I am like it was refunded because your ATM was broke and your broken ATM caused this!!! This scenario plays out 4 more times because I really did not want to the hassle of changing, but I left this week and Suntrust employees do care that they my family's accounts.

This company is not tech savvy like the other banks. Transactions take forever to clear and post. I tried to dispute 3 extended charges on my account which were faulty on their part. They wouldn't work with me. How can you continue to charge someone's account 3 36.00 extended draft fees with no concrete evidence. Slowest bank EVER!!! I should have listened to my wife and never signed up with this bank. Thankfully we are with B.O.A and NAVY FEDERAL. We will be closing all of our personal accounts as well as our business accounts.

On 7/25/16 I called my local branch office and ask for information to add my daughter and remove my wife (deceased on 5/22/16) for my accounts. The representative said to bring in I.D. for my daughter and nothing required for my wife. On 7/28/16 I went to the bank and explained why I was there to the branch manager/Ass. Vice president (latoya **). She stated I couldn't and my daughter had to be there in person and I needed a death certificate for my wife. I explained what they told me earlier that week. She still refused. I became irritated and requested to close my accounts. She refused to release my money. I asked to see the clerk to withdraw my money. She refused again saying she was her supervisor and not allow her to assist me. I ask her for her supervisors name and number. She wrote down a name and number. I called 3 times and left messages. No response.

Suntrust Company Profile