1.15/5

718 Suntrust Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 22, 2019

I've been with this bank for 9 years. This month I had to overdraft due to some unexpected expenses. I don't have overdraft protection so I got the overdraft fee which I knew about but to keep charging me every 5 days for extending overdraft fee?? Then they returned my insurance which automatically comes out every month. Charge me a overdraft fee and a return fee?? When I called the the bank had nothing to say about the return or the 2 different charges for it so now I have no insurance but fees that cost more than the insurance payment. I'm a single mom of 3 kids. I only get paid once a month. I've got more fees than transactions. These people are dirty. I'm switching banks first thing in the morning. I wish I had read these reviews before I let them keep overcharging me. I'm also calling my lawyer to deal with these people.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Suntrust Data Breach Class Action Lawsuit from last year April 2018. I'm a customer from 1/2015 till yesterday. Just drive 7 hours and 30 minutes to close my accounts… The closest location is in Tennessee (move from Florida to Chicago). Suntrust froze my account and Login and customer service tell me ”I’m sorry. Can’t provide any information to you. You need to visit branch…” Ending driving 8 hours to take my money out and still waiting for $4000. Investigation in progress for 10 days. Take a DAY OFF to drive and wasting my time with Suntrust bank. Ask For transfer my acids to external Chase account (we need to send a text message to verify your identity BIG BS. Can you receiving text messages on this phone number **… We can’t verify the identity. You need to visit branch).

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 20, 2019

To sum it up... The people in the reviews are right. This bank is very fraudulent. I am experiencing it currently. The CEO needs to step in and do something about what people are experiencing. You can tell these reviews don't get looked over. This bank is very corrupt. There is corruption within the whole system. Some of these people been there for years... Years!! 20+. I'm going to go beyond and above to make sure you guys stop with the fraudulent and make sure people get compensated if need be... The things you guys are doing isn't right at all. Morally and soulfully!!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I recently moved to Florida for a new job and wanted a large bank to manage my money. Suntrust has been nothing but unfriendly and unprofessional from the start. They offered me $500 to open an account and once I did, the requirements for the $500 changed and now they are willing to offer me $250. That is not as important to me as the poor customer service I have received to date. I have had to repeatedly ask about maintenance fees and what will be charged on my accounts and still cannot get a straight answer from them. I am looking into other banks to move my money because I am not comfortable with Suntrust's responses to my inquiries. Maybe they're an okay bank, but my instincts are telling me to take my money and RUN!

Original review: March 19, 2019

10/30/18 the fraud department calls to ask if I was charging 2178 on my account, I immediately go to the branch manager Darren **, who reports to fraud. No I didn't authorize this account, he cut up my card and had a new one issued. 11/16/18 on the old account Suntrust put through the same fraud amount on the old card number. Cutting up the card and reporting fraud doesn't matter. They have the option to charge anything anytime they want and there is nothing you can do about it!! I sued in small claims and lost, they had an attorney. I was on my own. But the judge just told Suntrust, yup you can charge anything you want on a closed fraud reported account and there is nothing you can do about it but bend over and pay up. If you bank with Suntrust/BBT expect to be robbed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: March 11, 2019

I would like to express my concern regarding the Woodstock 9863 Hwy 92 branch, Woodstock GA and possible discrimination and racial profiling. I have been a Suntrust Customer since 2007, and have recently moved to GA from Washington D.C. On 3/9/3019 I went to the Woodstock Branch as a result of my home Contractor calling me stating that a personal check I wrote him could not be cashed and that branch manager ** told him to contact me. I then called the branch in order to get clarification of the issue and after verification of my account I was told my check could not be cashed as I needed to resign a signature card and update my Suntrust profile. Knowing that this was not a usual protocol I proceeded to the branch.

Ultimately I chose to do a counter check in order to receive funds. After multiple discussions to include speaking to the Area Manager ** over the phone I was told that I could not retrieve my funds because my signatures on my both of my IDs did not match Suntrust signature card (Yes he said they did not match and he was on the phone not personally looking at my IDs and did not ask for another person in the branch to confirm). After coming to the branch in person. Displaying my military ID as well as my License. I have done this in the past before with no issue. After all of the frustration I proceeded to another Suntrust Branch right down the street and was able to obtain funds with no issue. I was told that my signature card matched both of my IDs. Based on this I will be filing a formal complaint and will be discussing this issue with my attorneys.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I will make sure to never bank with Suntrust again, and make sure our businesses do not ever open accounts with them. I had been with Suntrust for years, but unfortunately had to leave last week. I put the remaining balance in my account towards the Suntrust Credit Card payment I had, and immediately requested my account be closed and to ensure no other withdraws were possible. They told me once the last pending transaction cleared it would close. A week later I find the account changed back to open, with 3 overdraft fees (two small pending transactions auto-drew for around $30. Overdraft fees on both plus an extended overdraft fee because I assumed the account closed and didn't check, brought this up to $130 in overdraft).

I went into the local branch and politely requested that I pay what was auto-drawn (even though I had requested it be closed) but that I couldn't pay the overdraft fees, and that this was an error on their part. They refused to accept responsibility and said it was "just bad luck that I closed on the same day as a pending transaction" and said that I could just abandon the account if I wanted and that it may hit my credit but it would clear in 7 years. All I'm trying to do is close my account properly after being with them for years, and they're trying to gouge out as much money as they can on your way out. This is why people are leaving this bank and going to banks with better customer support and rates.

Original review: March 7, 2019

After numerous calls and paperwork faxed to Suntrust they never helped me in refunding money on a claim of an order I placed and never received the product, as well as another time that I ordered food and I never received it. And I called that moment it happened. They said I had to wait for the payment to be posted because it was pending. After it was posted I called again, filled everything out and reached out numerous times and never got any help with getting my money back. Now money was taken out of my account and it was refunded right away but once again Suntrust says that I have to wait till it's posted and that they were not going to charge me an overdraft fee. And the following day I check my account and they charged me the fee. This time the amount is way more than the last time and I am extremely upset that they have never helped me in the time of need. As soon as I can get this issue resolved I am switching to another bank.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Have been a customer for many years. Recently, my location of choice closed and reopened with ludicrously short hours, closing as early as 4 p.m. Abandoning that location and in search of another, the next alleged location I attended had no tellers, only some machine and an atm. As we all have to pay banking fees now thanks to our Democratic politicians, I at least expect to be able to use my bank when I go there. Fix it.

Original review: March 6, 2019

It is really ridiculous in this the "age of technology" that Suntrust cannot figure out these online banking issues. Every month I have to call to reset my password to make a payment. Do they want the money or not? IT is extremely inconvenient to have to wait to connect to a "live" person and then spend time explaining the issue, get the account back online ONLY TO HAVE TO DO THE SAME THING AGAIN THE FOLLOWING MONTH. Very poor service and we are switching to another company. We NEVER have this issue with USAA.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Our bank account was also closed without reason and said we would get written letter and check as to why... Need formula and diapers for baby and food for family. Still no check!!! We went in to branch and called several times and have gotten nowhere! ZERO stars. DONT BANK HERE!

Original review: March 3, 2019

Worst ever. On 1/14/19 I had an ACH debit on my savings account for $2,000.00. Thankfully I caught it in time before it posted to my account. I went into the branch opened a new savings account and requested that NO ACH debit or credits be allowed on this savings account. On 2/25/19 again my new savings account has hit again with an ACH debit for $4,999.99. This time it posted to my account and funds were taken. How could this happen again. I have a case # and also a police report #. This better be resolved. ASAP. Negative publicity goes a long way. I was assured this wouldn't happen again and it did. Where is the customer service and how am I supposed to feel safe with you as my financial institution. Once my money is returned I am taking my business elsewhere. Sad I have been with SunTrust for 17 years. This is unacceptable!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I opened a new SunTrust checking account, and was initiating a transfer of funds from another bank I bank with depositing a check under my name into a account in my name. Not even a full month later from the day I opened a account I was having loads of trouble logging into online banking via the internet (with PC) or using the app. This continued until the following day at which point I called Suntrust to find out if there was a problem with internet banking. I was informed by the attendant that my account had been canceled due to "violation of Suntrust rules/regulations", and that my initial deposit was being returned to me in the form of a paper check, ridiculousness!!

I was very surprised by this, as I had not even really used one of the the accounts yet, so I inquired as to why the accounts had been cancelled, or what rules/regulations I had violated, and the attendant told me that this would be explained in a written letter. I have no idea why this occurred. My credit rating is very high, and I have numerous bank accounts at various institutions. Suntrust gets zero stars. I have yet to receive any type of notification on why my accounts were closed and my fund held for 10-15 days with no explanation. THIS BANK DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CLIENT BASE!!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Our mortgage loan was sold to this sorry excuse for a bank. I have made three payments now and have yet to be able to do so online as the service is always "temporarily unavailable." Ideally, I would like to set up a recurring payment each month so that I don't have to mess with it and never pay late. Seems like something that Suntrust should want to help me be able to do. Instead, I call them up every month when the payment is due, spend several hours working with a representative to try to figure out why I can't submit my payment and then ultimately end up paying over the phone. I really I had a say in which bank held my mortgage. I am praying that it will be sold again but to a bank that actually has online banking that works. I will say that all of the reps that I've worked with have been pleasant, but none have been able to resolve the issue. I don't have time for this crap every month.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I just want to talk to someone in the USA regarding fraudulent activity, four different numbers, each a 20 plus minute wait and I end back with someone in the Philippines that talks fast, with accent and bad connection. Why oh why do I have to have someone offshore handling my account in the US. Can’t they hire enough help in our own country, or are they just looking for cheap labor. Go to the bank, complain and they say they can’t even check on fraudulent activity because they are not trained and it is too time consuming. So much for customers care and appreciation.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I have tried to get a auto loan through them with an older vehicle, and the experience that I have with them they never say why it was declined. And the ** service with them and the ** service with live stream. I DON'T RECOMMEND ANYONE TO THEM. THEY ARE HORRIBLE and I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THEM.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have been a Suntrust customer for many years. And for many years I have considered closing my accounts with them. I just cannot believe that every time I try to reach customer service with an issue that I can't handle via the automated services, that the wait time is RIDICULOUSLY LONG - 15-25 minutes, and that's after you have spent several minutes rolling through all of their prompts. I am not a big account so I know they don't care, but it is enough for me to make the change now. I have other accounts with smaller institutions which do a much better job of phone support. GOODBYE SUNTRUST!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Online banking is fine. Credit card service is poor. Pay my bill on time every month. Had one discrepancy with a transaction, and would not give any lenience. Credit score is excellent. Had a fraudulent account issue, and waited 1 hour and 20 minutes before I hung up. Initially, it automated to have a 25 minute wait, which is still too long. There was no option for a callback, when your turn came up. I used the chat box, whom stated "Sorry, but you have to wait. You are not able to start claim process online." Going into bank is also a joke. I know they were just bought out by BB&T. Hopefully they read these reviews, and do a better job.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have been with the company for a while now and I notice that they have issues keeping up with customers' balances over the weekend, they have put my account into negative like two different times only because their accounting department is inaccurate. No one is perfect but, I always transfer the money before purchases so I don't understand how can this mistake keep happening. I am frustrated and I am strongly considering a new bank. Always pay attention to your funds daily and watch how they will screw your balance up on the weekend because that is how they charge those overdraft fees even when you had enough money in there. It is wrong and something needs to be done.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The service with my local branches in VA has been good. Now that Suntrust & BBT are merging, I am a little troubled. I am going to the local branch today to iron out the future banking with them may or may not do banking, I will know soon.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

On 11/21/18 had a vehicle to hit my home and Suntrust is my mortgage company of my home. Had to file claim to my homeowners insurance State Farm due to car insurance company would have took longer to get my home repaired. My insurance company gave my check to me so I could have my home repaired. I have submitted my check to Suntrust bank to the property damage department and I have scan so many documents to them from the contractor and always an excuse to get my funds released to have the repairs on my house finished.

As of yesterday 1/5/19 now it’s the W9 is incorrect when everything is correct of being submitted to them. I’ve called 10 times trying to get my funds and they have had my check for over a month now. They website for insuranceclaimcheck.com is always under construction as it says. Every customer service representative I’ve talked to has told me so many stupid answers. Also as today it was informed to me from a representative my funds are in an escrow account and would receive my proceeds with multiple checks in 10 to 15 days.

Seriously I cannot get the bank to release my funds so I can get my home repaired and the contractor needs to be paid as what he has done and needs to be completed. I am on the verge of hiring an attorney now since I can’t get my money released back to me that my homeowners insurance paid for. The adjuster for State Farm can’t understand why it’s taking so long either. Suntrust is a joke and this is so ridiculous. Frustrating and hopeless with Suntrust.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I opened a new SunTrust checking account online on Saturday, and initiated a transfer of the funds necessary to avoid any fees. By Sunday, I was having loads of trouble logging into online banking via the internet (with PC) or using the app. This continued until the following Wednesday (today), at which point I called SunTrust to find out if there was a problem with internet banking. I was informed by the attendant that my account had been canceled due to "violation of SunTrust rules/regulations", and that my initial deposit was being returned to me in the form of a paper check (I made an electronic transfer to fund the account).

I was very surprised by this, as I had not even used the account yet, so I inquired as to why the account had been cancelled, or what rules/regulations I had violated, and the attendant told me that this would be explained in a written letter. I have no idea why this occurred. My credit rating is very high, and I have numerous bank accounts at various institutions. SunTrust gets zero stars.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I received an escrow analysis stating I am having a shortage of $1700. I have an email from last year when I told them I was changing insurance companies, the company name and amount. I was issued a refund check from my escrow account last year. I didn’t receive it. When I noticed a $150 dollar payment on my account, I called and that is when I learned about the refund. It had been 6 months and they applied it to my loan. Not once was a shortage mentioned. I called today to see why my escrow was short... They paid not only the $750 in January I told them about, they paid my old company, $1100 on February 14! Two insurance payments in 2 weeks! I am left to deal with this. Claudette in their insurance department told me there are no safeguards to avoid this problem. They pay whatever bills arrive. Their old website was difficult to navigate. The new one is easier but that doesn’t help at this point!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My account was hacked into on Jan 30. I reported this and now my monthly check is frozen. I have no food, can't pay my rent and no one in this institution will go beyond the I'm sorry status. I'm seeking legal action for the trauma caused by the actions of this bank.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Opened two accounts on the 25th of January. Started receiving mail and emails confirming the new accounts and created online login ID. The 1st of February I received mail containing the four-digit PIN for my soon to arrive debit card. The 2nd of February I received an Account Closure Notice, stating that they had received my request to close the accounts. Called the website provided 1-800 number to no avail. Told me to wait until Monday when they can contact the Internal Fraud Department, as customers are not authorized to speak to them directly.

While holding for answers from the Customer Service Representative, I was curious about my initial funding deposit. Tried to log on to Suntrust but said my credentials was invalid. Logged on to my current (honest) bank in which the funds was withdrew from and sure enough, the payment is being processed.

Customer Service Representative answered no questions. She had no information on who to contact, could not explain to me why my account was terminated, nor could tell me where the money I deposited is going. She tells me I need to visit an actual Suntrust branch for any answers. So she asks for my address to locate the nearest Suntrust branch and sure enough, there is not any Suntrust branches near me. Literally none. The Customer Representative was as incompetent as this Financial Institution. The OCC should have a zero tolerance policy for Institutions such as Suntrust.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We had Suntrust for a few weeks, they seemed great and helpful. We let them know that my husband was going to have 2-3 rather large deposits from his Social Security back pay. The first check we received was a cashier's check from BB & T, approx. $9,600. We were told the funds would be available the next day. I checked our balance the next morning at 6:30 am and the funds were available. Around 8:00 am we went to an ATM and gas station and neither of our debit cards would work, I also could not get logged into our online account.

My husband went to the bank and was told, without ANY explanation, that our account had been terminated. They practically ushered him out the door, again with no explanation. He was so stunned that he really couldn't do or say anything until it sank in. We immediately called our local BB & T bank that the check originated from and the BB & T account manager called the Suntrust bank manager on our behalf and told them that the check was from them and it was 100% legal. Did not matter, The deed was done.

We were given many excuses and finally Suntrust bank manager told us it was the cashier's check that was flagged as fraud and that cashier checks were the "most fraudulent passed checks in banking." She even nervously laughed and said that "their" (meaning Suntrusts) cashiers checks looked fake to other banks also. REALLY! This happened mid November 2018, and we have yet to see our over $9,000! We were told in December that it was in the fraud investigator's hands and that we could call back in March 2019 to see if they knew anything on the situation. We are sick and so disappointed over this. We have been calm, polite and very patient. But come on Suntrust, enough is enough!

Fraud departments are necessary and appreciated, for REAL fraud, but not when a check can be verified by another bank immediately and locally! Also this check originated from the Social Security Department! My husband waited 4 years to get back pay after his 3 year illness and injuries and this is what happens? I feel as our money is being held hostage! As though we are criminals. Will never ever use Suntrust again and will never recommend to anyone! And we are so very afraid that we will never see our money again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Apparently there is a new website that you are suppose to visit to pay your mortgage. When I went to the Suntrust mortgage website to login and pay my house bill it just kept saying invalid and I was unable to login like my information was incorrect. Like there was no re-direction anywhere saying "we have a new website or please go here now". Nothing. I mean it's only my house bill so it's not that important right? Just evict me. It's no big deal. Build an entire NEW website but don't have tech spend 3 minutes notifying people paying their house bills that they need to go somewhere else to pay. Make the transition so vague that you have to make your million customers think they are entering their information wrong.

So then I try to reset my user name and password and answer security questions and it comes back that I am no longer in their system. Still, the company does not think of finding a WAY to redirect to a new website, they will just tell you that there are no records of you in their system?? Why do you even have the old website functioning if no one is suppose to use it anymore? Why does Suntrust have to make paying bills the most inconvenience thing to do? Clapping hands for the billionaire CEO of this company to keep finding ways to screw with everyone to delay payments even more to make more interest money off us.

Calling Suntrust they said "ohh you have to go to our new website suntrust.com" and sign up. Apparently suntrust.com/mortgage had been terminated. Gee thanks because I really wanted to spend all my time on your stupid automation system which still fails to tell me to go somewhere new so I have to enter in all my information to find someone to tell me this. Ok fine, because now I get to turn paying my mortgage bill into a new project of scrambling around to find all my bank information. A new project of trying to find all my other bank informations routing numbers and account numbers to set up ALL my information all over again because I don't just have that sitting out on my sticky note on the fridge.

You can't set up auto-payment to have your bill paid on time, the only way to set up auto-payment is to have it auto-pay LATE every single month... That is nothing but the biggest scam I have ever seen in my life and that should be illegal to only offer auto-pay to be late so they can collect more fees and interest. When I called to complain about the auto pay being set up late the person on the phone stated there is a "grace period" and there isn't any issue setting up your house payment late by 15 days every month. This bank is the biggest pile of crap and there needs to be new laws and regulations to enforce higher standards at this place, along with all the other financial institutions ripping people off. The new website looks nice.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Suntrust has closed my account after 4 years of being a customer because of a large disbursement from Amazon. I have sold on Amazon for 4 years and have always got my payments sent to Suntrust. I have never had any issue. For some reason they didn’t like the deposit that transferred via ACH, so they closed my account, turned off my debit card, froze my savings account and are holding nearly all of my money. They closed the account in December and informed me I would get my money mailed to me in a check in 10 days. I called back last week and was told that I wouldn’t be able to possibly get my money until May. No one can tell me why or why the date changed. I am a mother of 4 and run my own business, so not having access to the money I worked so hard for during the Christmas season is devastating. This bank should be penalized for killing people’s livelihood. I am seeking legal counsel.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Suntrust canceled the new card I ordered after two days of use. The agent who I can barely understand said it was flagged as lost or stolen when I clearly indicated I just want to request a new card because the current one was falling apart after only 6 months. It's so annoying when you have a 2-minute conversation turn into a 30-minute one just to try to order a new card with the same information minus a few details and they still get it wrong. So frustrated with the terrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

My home was flooded in Hurricane Michael. I received the insurance check for repairs quickly. I went to the only branch open after the storm and was told the check had to be sent to corporate for signature of a bank official. The teller stated they would FedEx it as a courtesy. It would be returned within 5-7 days. They deposited MY check into their bank and as of today I was told for the 3rd time the check would be sent out next week. I’ve spoken to someone at the bank every other day since 12/6/18 and I still don’t have the money. I’ve faxed, uploaded, etc. document after document. Each time I’ve gotten some ridiculous reason as to why they are holding my money.

The latest reason was that I didn’t right POA after my name on a signed contract!!! The W9 for my contractor had a smudge or the contract didn’t have a date under my name! The contract clearly shows the date. My mother and I own the home together and she has Alzheimer’s. I've been her POA for years and they show that they have a copy of the document. I’ve had $30,000 in renovations done and can’t pay my contractor because of these vultures. They only want to keep your money so they can earn interest. NO one at this bank gives a crap about what people are going through after the catastrophic storm. Save yourself a boatload of trouble and stay as far as you can from this POS!

Suntrust Company Information