Suntrust

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I opened Suntrust Checking and Saving account because currently, they were offering 250$ promotion. I maintained my direct deposit for 6 months to get this money but when I call them to get this promotion they said 'you got 2 direct deposits in one month and did not get any deposit in the following month'. My employer just deposited my salary one day early on November 30th not on December 1st. For just one day, they said I do not qualify requirements for getting this promotion anymore. Another problem is their system is really slow and I cannot see my transactions on time. I had to check my accounts over and over again. I do not recommend.

I have been with Suntrust for almost a year. I have always kept a healthy balance between my checking and savings account with zero problems until recently. Unfortunately, I deposited a check that ended up getting returned and it was flagged for fraudulent activity because it overdrew what was in my checking account at the time (the check had posted and I had moved the funds to a different account).

My account is now back in the green because of my regular direct deposit from my employer (that has been made for as long as the account has been opened) and I am going round and round with Suntrust to release my funds. I am not getting phone calls returned in a timely manner without needing to follow up myself. Then, after the initial three day fight I was told there was nothing they could do at the branch level and that I would need to contact the Customer Service and Fraud departments myself. I would have been happy to do that from the beginning instead of having my time wasted.

I have had a checking account with Suntrust for several years and have carried a balance in the low 5 digits. Due to work related opportunities, I have temporarily moved to Europe. When I called Suntrust and asked for a debit card, I was told by a junior person that they have an internal rule that they can't open the account unless I show up in person or do it online. The website didn't work, so I emailed Richard **, Vice President, Branch Manager, Hagen Ranch, SunTrust Bank (attaching evidence of the website malfunction) and he replied, "I do apologize but I am only to submit credit card applications for clients that are physically present in the branch." He obviously could have helped me, but chose not to do so. There is no law against opening a new account for an existing client over the phone. I am far away from home and fuming... with no options except to broadcast my experience here.

They cashed my check and did not post to the account. Their response did not make sense, stating I "made the payment with a credit card", which was obviously false, since I had attached a copy of the cashed check in my original note to them. I have made multiple further inquiries with no response. From Customer Support 01/30/2017: "I understand your point regarding line payment. I have reviewed your account and see that, you have processed the line payment from your credit card. Please be informed that, you can not make your loan/line payment using your credit/debit card. Also please know that to make a payment to a consumer loan or line, use the Move Money service within Online Banking. Hence, the payment of $1,000.00 has not been posted in your line account."

I have had four accounts with Suntrust. I currently have an everyday checking account and a business account. Last week, I could not get into my business account. The online banking and mobile banking is down constantly. After 30 minutes of talking with customer service, they told me that my account had been corrupted on their end somehow, which is why I was locked out of my account. I had to totally recreate my account. They were not able to tell me HOW or WHY my account got corrupted, just that something happened on their end. Does the public have my info? What does this corrupted account mean?

I then filed a complaint. The woman who answered my complaint can't tell me what is wrong with my account either. How do you run a business this way, let alone dealing with people's money? As if that isn't enough, I tried to log into my everyday checking account and I am not unable to access that either! All I get is incorrect username and password. It is Sunday night and I need to pay bills!!! No one at the customer service number can help me because online banking is closed. This is completely unacceptable. It is unacceptable that I cannot get into my account. It is unacceptable that Suntrust somehow did something to corrupt my account. These are their exact words - "Your account was corrupted somehow on our end but that is all I know." Horrible experience with them. I am changing banks tomorrow because, despite these issues, the online banking is down so much I am never able to access my account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

This is worst bank to do any type of business. They are all about protecting themselves and not protecting the clients. Because I had a joint acct. and the other person was a victim of scam, they stole my money to cover themselves. When I tried to recover my money, they gave the run around and told me the money is gone. $4000! They took it without alerting. I spent hours on the phone only to be treated like a victim. Basically, this bank doesn't care about their customers or their assets, they only care about themselves. They don't go the extra mile or consider your problem. They are all about covering their backs with logistics. I'm closing my account and will spread the word so that nobody gets treated like I did.

I've had 2 bad experiences with this bank. The 2nd just happened. I received a refund check of $1000.00 from my attorney in another state. The check was from a Suntrust acct. I do not have an acct with Suntrust, because of 1st experience. I just wanted to cash the check to go pay bills, so I thought it would be best to go cash it at a Suntrust branch. I walk in, present my ID & I'm asked do you have an account with us. I said, "No, I do not." So I have to pay a $7.00 fee!!! Are you kidding me? The check is drawn on this bank!!! I should have went to Walmart. They only charge $3.00. This is beyond ridiculous!!

The ladies in this bank that notarize papers don't have a clue as to what they are doing. Went in 2 times to get 1 single document notarized and they act as if they have never seen legal documents before. Very disappointed with this office. Have always used Plant City locations without a problem and have only been into this location 3 times and been a waste of time 2 out of those 3. A notary signs saying that they acknowledge you are who you say you are and sign off saying they saw you signed that damn paper! But no. These ladies obviously are incompetent!

I received 13 notices today from SunTrust stating that they had closed all of the accounts and 4 notices stated that they approved 4 different accounts overdraft protection. I have never had a account with them, I called the number provided which then I had to speak to 3 different non-speaking English people. When I had asked them for the information for where these accounts were opened told me that since these accounts were closed they did not have the information. I finally spoke to someone that spoke English. She said that these accounts were open in Morristown Tn on the 10th of this month and were not closed till the 12th when something just did not seem right.

The person that had opened up these accounts had all of my information. Opened up 5 checking accounts and 3 savings account in the same day. I am not going to call the branch where they were opened at. I will be waiting at their door at 9am. I am filing a police report and my attorney will be advise of this too. I am a single mother trying to go to school which I will not be able to go to school tomorrow just to deal with this. Things just don't add up.

They NEVER notify me for overdraft and charged me $36 for an overdraft of $5 on the same day it is overdraft. They then emailed me and gave me 5 business days (by the time they emailed me there were only 4 business days left) to move money into my account. I moved $50 into my account, however my money arrived on the 6th business day. They charged me another $36 extended overdraft fee!!!!! They charged me $72 in total for an overdraft of $5!!!

Suntrust has cut out displaying Daily balances, on website. This has got to be the most aggravating way, to do accounting that I have ever experienced. The only total you can see is what is available. I have been with them for 20 years but I will be looking around this year. It's so inconvenient to change. But I am pissed off every time I go into my business account. Someone called me today and asked how do I like Suntrust. "I know you have been banking with them for years." I said "go to a bank that understands your needs." I don't even understand how that can be a legitimate accounting practice.

Worst financial institution that you can deal with. I've opened 2 accounts at the Nashville airport branch, and at the time they had an offer of 250$ with new accounts. I was told that the reward will be deposited into the account within 8 weeks. First, they sent me 2 bad bank cards that I couldn't activate or use, and they have never sent me the checkbook they promised too so it took me a while before I was able to use my money in the account.

Also now it's 6 months later, and I've never gotten the reward, so I called the branch manager who first said they've never had that promotion. Then after trying to convince her that they did she tells me that I didn't even open my account at her branch. Then after convincing her again and arguing for a few minutes she tells me that I didn't get the reward because my account went in negative 7 months after opening the account. So you can probably tell that all their ads are false. Also anything the manager claims is a policy and I ask her which part of the policy, she says this part is usually verbally said but not written so she will claim any policy is their bank policy and tell you that they verbally told you about that policy.

This bank bites. Husband had a stroke in March. Filed POA in May. As of today I've had to go to banking centers 4 times to verify my POA. Have my name AND MY executors name on checks. Yay. Have had to "chat" with customer service 7 times because system only lets me use online 1 time. That would be after getting new sign on from them AFTER verifying again, yes I really am on account. This requires about 30-40 min per "chat" and a supervisor. EACH TIME. Does Suntrust talk to themselves? BTW - to get "chat" go to "new customer". Otherwise, it's MIA. Thank you God, husband finally agreed to close this account!

I went out of town to a hotel on biz, went to a hotel with the biz card, but they also wanted just something with my name on it, so my debit card, I was unaware that they charged the wrong card. Not knowing this because it never showed up on my available balance or current balance, I spent money all through. Even bought a cup of coffee 7-11 for 1.43 that got overdrafted. I have over 400.00 in overdraft fees, that if I only have know this would not happen. Come on, 1.43 plus 30.00 for a cup of coffee!!! People out there beware. They will get the little person. Suntrust I hope you read this, (you suck!). Thanks for taking my grandkid's Christmas away.

Call customer service. Spoke to many people and none seem to know their job. So I question my account because I made a purchase and return the item. The merchant never gave me a receipt ok. So the rep said that I need to contact the merchant. I did got nowhere because they told me to call the bank and I did so so I file a claim and the first claim got denied because they couldn't reach me for question. Really. I gave my phone to call and never heard anything from no one and I call them many of times. So again I had to do a form again this time to see about my money.

But this time I was told from a supervisor that I was sent the wrong form so my claim was denied. Really. But you have my account negative 912.02 this time because of your mistakes and it was so called fixed. Yeah for a little while check it today. It's 879.02. They charge me for items I don't have. Who does that. This is the worst bank I even had in my life plus I don't have a card so how did I made a purchase. I will be closing this account.

I opened a checking and a saving account with Suntrust for my mother. The bank was nickel and diming every transaction so I decided to close the checking acct due to frivolous charges. $3 statement fees, $7 maintenance fee every month. Closed the checking acct in August and they informed me that my check would take 7-10 business days. 2 months later in October I called the bank and they informed me that the check was just sent 4 days ago. I got frustrated and closed the savings account there and then. I received the funds in the savings account in 10 business days as promised but till date have not received the funds from the checking account more than 5 months since the account was closed.

I called them today 12/9/16 and the supervisor was disputing when my acct was closed if it was in July or Aug as if that makes the fact that it taken them 4.5 months to process a check. She claimed the funds were sent in August which was a lie since someone from her bank informed me that they just sent it in October. They now want to send me a form that I will take to a notary to sign for them the resend the check. Mind you they messed up, they have held my funds for the past couple of months, haven't paid any interest and want me now to get a note signed that I haven't received funds that in their system has not been cashed?

Ridiculous worst bank ever. Even banks in the third world are not this horrible. Suntrust bank wins the worst bank in the world award in my. Would not recommend this bank to anybody. They have no business in the banking world. They deserve the less than 1 star rating if it is possible to give them a minus 5 star I would.

I am trying to close out this account because they post transactions in order to produce the most fees possible! I had 2 transactions that I did on 11/30 that would have resulted in my checking account having a balance of $7.70. I was going to wait for my last direct deposit, write myself a check for the balance then close the account. Well I didn't change 2 reoccurring drafts in time so they came out of this account (my bad, I will take the OD fees for these 2). However, Suntrust posted the 2 reoccurring fees first (even though they didn't even show up until the day after my first 2 transactions, so instead of 1 fee I got 4!) If they would have posted them in the order they were done then only 1 fee should have been assessed, maybe 2 but one transaction would have only brought the account negative $2.20. I know I made a mistake but so did they. Difference is that I own up to my mistakes and they do not!

On 11/18 I prepaid for gas inside the station and the payment cleared my account on 11/22. On 11/25, Suntrust charged a "check card adjustment" for $20 because the gas station "requested" another payment since they hadn't received their funds. So my account went into a negative. I was charged an overdraft fee and a threat that if I didnt have it fixed there would be an extended overdraft fee. I spoke with 4 reps and they told me it was an accident on Suntrust for trying to manually input the charge and the funds would come back to my account. After 48 hours I noticed that it wasn't fixed, I called Suntrust and I was then told I would have to call the merchant to find out about the request they made. The merchant stated they never requested any additional funds and they couldn't help me. So Suntrust made a mistake and refuses to fix it but I can dispute the item which can take 10 days. That's ridiculous.

Was constantly being offered a loan through them. To finally fill out the paperwork only to be denied. Have right at or over a 700 beacon. Also was told by managers "get your score up and we will do anything to help you." I am disappointed and only wanted help after doing all I was told to do. I am thinking of pulling my account after all these years. Advice to others. Don't apply for anything with them. They will only pull your credit, call, ask questions and I was honest as what to use it for them to say no.

Julie of Gladstone, MO on Oct. 11, 2016... The exact same thing happened to me. I received 8 notices that "My overdraft protection was approved" and 8 that said my account was closed, all on 11/9/16. Ironically, the account closing was dated 10/31/16, and the ODP notice is dated 11/01/16. Seems legit. So when I called, they asked me for my SS number too. I didn't give it to them. So today I get 5 letters in the mail saying "Due to information obtained during a review of your account, we have determined it is necessary to close your relationship with SunTrust immediately." The wording of the letters seem suspect.

When I called the phone number; the people who answered could barely speak English, and acted in a way that did not seem professional. Especially when they asked for private information in order to help me. Something doesn't add up about this bank, or whatever it is. I notified the credit bureaus, and I think I will notify law enforcement as well.

SunTrust obviously has ongoing security issues (or a real ** IT department or both) as access to accounts is not available way more than most other banking sites. I've never seen a banking site undergo more scheduled maintenance than this one. My advice to SunTrust: If you cannot figure out a way to support online banking like it should be supported, then just throw in the towel and go back to paper ledgers during regular business hours. Expect to lose a lot of your customers though when you revert back to the sixties.

We purchased a home in 2013, and financed the loan through SunTrust Mortgage. One of the conditions of the loan was that the mortgage payment be directly debited each month from a SunTrust bank account. To satisfy this requirement, we opened a SunTrust bank account and set up a direct funds transfer at the end of each month from our other bank to cover the mortgage payment. For over three years, this has been a seamless and fully electronic relationship, which benefits us and also the bank and mortgage company. The funds are transferred at the end of each month and the mortgage company debits the SunTrust account on the tenth of the following month.

Two days ago I received a call from SunTrust Mortgage stating that our October payment was delinquent, as the SunTrust bank account had been closed. Upon investigation, we were informed that the bank closed the account due to the fact we had not been visited the bank or verified our account (what?!), despite the fact that there was activity each month, inbound credit from us and outbound debit from SunTrust Mortgage. At the time of the account closure, the account contained the amount of our monthly mortgage but as the account was closed, the sister SunTrust Mortgage company was unable to collect the payment!

We now need to request a refund, which will take 90 days, open a new account by physically visiting the bank, inform our other bank of the change in monthly ACH account numbers, and make a second monthly mortgage payment this month since our funds will not be released pending some kind of 90 day review. We will be investigating alternatives to this relationship, and would advise anybody considering a bank to AVOID SunTrust.

I was contacted by Suntrust letting me know that my debit card number was used in a another state. My card was frozen by Suntrust. When I tried to get information on the activity, I was given the runaround, transferred from one person to another. The first contact told me that my request for a printout showing where my card number was used assured me that I would get copy of this. When I never received that paperwork, I called back and was told that they did not have any information. I believe that this information should be available, since it is my money.

Active duty personnel BEWARE! We had a mortgage with SunTrust for fifteen years (15) and paid "on time" thru five (5) deployments, thru PCS moves and absentee/evicted tenants only to be reported as delinquent on the very LAST mortgage payment. When closing on the property was delayed by Buyer's lender! We were advised IN WRITING by Suntrust mortgage representative that "August payment was NOT reported" but discovered a 24 point drop in our credit score due to Suntrust report that it was!!! It is a serious infraction of the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act and are contacting an attorney to resolve this matter in court. DO NOT do business with this company!

Worst online banking compared to other banks. Suntrust constantly has a feature unavailable and logging in is almost impossible. 90% of my log in attempts are unsuccessful due to the system not recognizing my log in information and deems it incorrect when it is in fact correct. The mobile app is even worse. I have yet been able to log on using the app. Also compared to other banks, Suntrust does not offer mobile deposits and for limit Suntrust locations in my area, that would of been a great selling feature for me to stay with Suntrust. But with my inability to log on and check the status of my account, I will be leaving Suntrust for another bank.

I received items in the mail from Suntrust in Nashville TN indicating that I had applied for overdraft protection on EIGHT accounts. I DO NOT have any account with Suntrust. There is no Suntrust branch anywhere near where I live. I called the fraud investigations phone number listed on their website and they would not help me unless I provided my social security number. That is ridiculous. They should be able to pull up any accounts in my name. The only account information on the notices that I received was the last 4 digits of these EIGHT accounts. If they can't correlate my name and address and the last 4 digits of acct numbers for their investigation, they have a BIG problem. I am reporting this to the police in my city tomorrow.

My elderly mother's Suntrust account was accessed by crooks who stole her personal information. The crooks were able to trick Suntrust phone support into canceling my mom's credit card and having a new one sent to a fraudulent address. When I noticed unusual activity I immediately notified Suntrust, yet the fraudulent transactions have continued for over 2 weeks. I visited my local Suntrust branch, I have a power of attorney on file with Suntrust for my mom, yet the local branch manager was unwilling to assist me.

As result of Suntrust refusing to help me at my local branch, I had to drive 200 miles and pick up my elderly mom at her assisted living facility and take her to the local Suntrust in her area. As result of having to take my elderly mother to the Suntrust branch, I had to tell my mom about the fraudulent activity on her Suntrust account, which of course upset her greatly. The branch manager at the branch where my mom lives was helpful at first, but has not followed through as she said she would, and has left my mother and I to deal with online support. I would avoid banking at Suntrust bank and deal with a local bank and or credit union where you will get better security, safety and service.

I shopped on Walmart.com and bought things over $500 dollars... Next thing I know I get a fraud alert. What!!! The stupid bank almost froze my account. If I did not call back they would of cancelled my account. What jerks...

Please do not deposit your checks into Suntrust bank. If you do then it's a very good chance that Suntrust will misuse and or abuse your money. In other words you may never see that deposit at all. Who is monitoring these banks to make sure they are not breaking the rules or are they just able to do whatever it is that they want to do and nothing. I mean nothing is being done about it. How is it that they can just steal your money by chewing it up in made up fees and unorthodox charges and no one seems to care. It's just wrong. And it's bad to say that Suntrust is not the only bank and credit union to do this to customers. Wells Fargo, BancorpSouth, Renasant, Members Exchange, Regions, Trustmark, BankPlus to name a few.

All have that same reputation for false promises to consumers just to get their business in order to steal your money. I have had about 800.00 of my money stolen from these crook banks over the past 4 weeks and that was my food, gas and light bill and water bill money. I don't know what I'm going to do for money for the next 2 months. It's ridiculous what we have to go through dealing with these crook banks, there has to be a better way. Suntrust took my whole direct deposit, closed my account and now I owe them money. Where's the justification in this I ask you, please tell me. There isn't any, something just has to change.

I have only been with Suntrust since March and this is by far the worst financial institution I have EVER had!! I opened my account with 6,000 cash but when I deposited my paycheck a week later they decided that it could be fraudulent and froze my entire account. It took them a week to decide that my paycheck was good and unfreeze my account.

Then they are continuously hitting me with overdraft fees which I thought maybe I am just messing something up but nope I'm not. I write everything in my Suntrust issued register (you know the one they give you to keep up with your account). Well I finally caught them!! I used my card on Monday and Tuesday then wrote a car payment check on Friday. Now I had wrote in my register exactly what I had spent and knew what my balance would be (which granted I was scraping pennies) but they waited a week before they took out my debit purchases, they cleared my large check and then hit me with $216.00 in overdraft fees when I have in my Suntrust issued register that I should have only been negative 40.00 plus the 36.00 fee. So that is negative 76.00, Not negative 264.00.

Sandra (the bank lady) says that you cant go by the balance at the ATM or online or apparently by my own register and that I should be more responsible. REALLY!! I wrote down everything like I was supposed to and did what I was supposed to. They are just a bunch of corporate greed ** robbing from the little people!! Don't believe my story? Keep reading the complaints. There are many, many more just like me!! Obviously I switched banks and refuse to pay for their mistake. ** SUNTRUST!! They don't deserve a star.

Suntrust Company Profile