Suntrust

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Suntrust Bank Atlanta, GA. Someone broke into my car and stole both of my debit cards along with my purse and my backpack. They spent $2300.00 from my Suntrust account and $200 from my other debit. The other bank, PNC, and they refunded my money immediately. Suntrust refuses to refund any of my money and I do not understand why.

Two days before this happened, I went to a home improvement store to purchase some flooring for my house, and Suntrust blocked the sale until I called them and then they said that it was not a "customary" purchase but then unsuspended my card for use at that time. But when the thieves took my cards, they bought over 700 dollars worth of tennis shoes and 450 dollars worth of groceries on the same day, along with other misc purchases. Talk about an irregular purchase, tennis shoes and bread and milk and crap. But not flooring for my home, that's too outrageous so lets block her card, but hey let the crooks buy 700 bucks worth of sneakers, yeah that's not suspicious at all. This is a horrible bank and as soon as I get my money back I am GONE.

I am writing here to make you aware of the situation that had occurred on 3.13.2017 at the Cloverly bank location of Sun Trust bank MD. I am extremely surprised by the reaction of the manager, who started yelling at me, so randomly, when I was looking inside my purse to make a deposit, being considerate of others waiting in the line. He was not only disrespectful to me by shouting at me, "you are not paying attention to me, you are rude" while there were several customers standing on the line, asked me to not only look at him, while he is talking, but also listen to him about an incident that was resolved long time ago, inconsiderate of others waiting there for a very long time. He had no reason to lose his cool. He is a misogynist, racist and totally unprofessional for making such rude remarks in front of such a large waiting crowd.

I am a customer who is worthy of respect and a professional treatment. The matter still remains unsolved with the Sun Trust Management. I also have several other people who had later switched out of this bank due to similar incident, I am really concerned about that branch manager Cliff and I feel that you are the most appropriate point of contact. I can only hope that you will take my request seriously, look into this matter and take necessary action.

I received a letter saying that my bank card had been frozen due to suspicious activity and I was given a phone number to call. When I called the 888 number I had to listen to offer after offer and finally when it was over there was a message that said the number had been changed and another number was provided. It was like a phone call to the Jerry Springer or the Maury Show with special offers just for me. I would have liked this bank to show more professionalism instead of typical bottom dwelling practices.

A wallet was found in a Home Depot... somewhere. Security called Suntrust due to a credit card being issued by them found inside. Evidently, the number was reported incorrectly and my credit cards (all!) were flagged and denied. I have all my cards and was NOT at Home Depot. I had just paid them off entirely (almost 5k). All for the privilege of being denied, and forget about any plans I had for the weekend. I called customer service, waited for 27 mins to talk to someone only to be told I have to go to my branch and produce ID. GREAT. INCONVENIENT OVER THE WEEKEND. I can deal, be it burns me up that no one called... (I checked ALL unknown numbers on my phone) and that some random person can cause my credit to be held. What if they froze my checking account too? I have all security answers, pins, etc. Not good enough. Ridiculous.

I call into question how much training for employee interaction is given or required in training managers for store operations. How to deal with people concerning job duties. How much care about knowing your employee and how to get them to work better at their job. Are protocols in place to properly handle employees. I don't believe yelling across the room or down the line at an employee is proper!!! I overheard a conversation at Walmart of how employees must feel and are reluctant to respond to orders when they are embarrassed in front of customers and fellow employees!!! Since I also am a customer at the branch in question, I render to look forward each time I go into the branch!!!

How did someone get be a manager like this??? Who could have given a go ahead for this!!? Who qualified her?? I have to wonder how Suntrust Bank put all their effort into just training and not include personal interaction for employees!? I have dealt with the public and employee interactions all my life (55 years). I have seen a lot of managers come and go. My first priority is get to know an employee to better understand their commitment in working for me. Care about your employee! I don't think I would never tell a group of employees that such and such was leaving soon!!! I have been at the branch only once when an employee was called out from across the lobby in front of customers and fellow employees. Thanks very much.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

I have been with this bank since 1998 and the customer service is getting very very poor and now even their online banking is going to pot. To begin with when trying to call the branch located in Hixson, TN, the personnel are always BUSY. You then get transferred to the Branch Manager who is also busy but at least you get their voicemail so you can leave a message right? Wrong, the voice mail is full so you can't leave message but you do get transferred back to the floor BUT they are still busy so you get returned to the branch manager again. This could go on for hours and I expect if you played round robin long enough, someone might finally answer. Sorry, I don't have that kind of patience.

After many years of using the bank's website, tonight it decided it did not like my login. I opted to obtain a new password since I figured that was the problem. I received the new password via email and attempted to again log in. The website again did not accept the password that the bank sent me but this time I was politely informed that I was blocked because of too many errors trying to log in. I was given a number to call for assistance. The person answering the phone was a foreigner (I can only guess where they were from) and not only could not pronounce my name correctly but I could not clearly understand a word they were saying. Forget that.

In retrospect I recall that every message I sent to Suntrust, through their "secure" online system received a response signed by a foreigner. And to think, all this time I thought Suntrust was an American Bank. Live and learn. I'm going hunting, surely that is an American bank out there that still believes in the American way and customer service, at least maybe they will speak English.

I don't know why they have 1866 call for, what they are. Don't know what to do. All they just answer the phone, can't tell you anything. All they this just read your bank account and tell you and keep saying the same thing. I don't know why hire them for just used machine or automatic or robot can do the same as them and all Suntrust need from you is all fees. Now I know why everyone tell me "Don't bank with Suntrust." I will never bank with Suntrust again.

I made an online payment twice. Second one by mistake and I could NOT cancel. Suntrust online is not user-friendly. Then when I called Suntrust Bank, they could not cancel the second transaction! I've never seen or heard such a thing. What an INCONVENIENCE.

We'll go to check our account on Weds February 22nd, 2017 and surprise a $201.00 overdraft fee because they didn't release $88 dollars on the 15th for my GEICO insurance plan so now not only is my account overdrawn but now my insurance may lapse, cable shut off, and half of March rent stolen by SunTrust because they can't get their act together. I will be contacting Fraud Department and closing up the account.

I recently had a fraudulent charge. Upon contacting SunTrust, they told me I could not file a complaint for 48 hours after the charge was made. The charge had also made my account negative. I contacted the business that made the fraudulent charge and they refunded the money. Suntrust said that they would not put the money in for 48 hours and the overdraft fees would not be refunded for an additional 2 days. None of this was my fault and I had to wait 4 days for my account to have MY money back in it. Meanwhile, I was unable to get gas to get to work (I don't do credit cards and was unwilling to bust open my ira and pay the associated fees to make a deposit in my account as recommended by Suntrust). I nearly lost my job over being unable to get to work - all because Suntrust refused to expedite a process of which the original problem was not my doing. Switching banks immediately.

Unable to access my online account for over one year; unable to reset this online account for over one year. The bank keep charging paper report every month after we had an agreement that I do not need the paper statement; I have been contracting this Bank to fix the online access issues for over one year, but still they cannot able to fix it. Finally, they told me that they cannot even access my account at all & stated they will investigate & result will be revealed in 48 hours, but they did not report the investigation result. Now it has been over one week; again I cannot access my account at all.

They try to steal my money as they did in the past for over 5 years ago. This bank is not reliable and I advise anyone to stay away from this bank. I am ready to leave after I got my refunds (multiple times they charge & unable to give reason for the charges). Also, they never keep their promises; multiple promotions they had and immediately I sign for it, they have some unusual reason to disqualify & decline the promotion after I start business with them.

I only have a credit card with them, and even just having 1 line of service I experience horrible online and customer service experience every time. By simply making an online payment, their website experienced a glitch or technical error on September 22, 2016 which caused a duplicate payment to happen ($2000). I know for a fact this was a system error as I didn't not get any confirmation after the 1st payment. Moreover I am a web developer so I'm very tech savvy. Called them immediately to inform them this issue and to reverse 1 duplicate payment and they refused saying I had to simply let the double payment of $2000 go through!

They literally hijacked my own funds for over 2 weeks which is totally unacceptable. Because of this I suffered from multiple NSF and related fees. I then formally requested compensation for damages already explained (amounting $85). After 3+ months of them wasting time with faxes (yes they don't allow file uploads or emails in 2017), hours of following up with incompetent representatives and bank reps, Suntrust simply declined offering any type of refund saying that this issue was not their fault. I recommend you stay as far away as possible from this inefficient and incompetent bank that doesn't care one bit about their customers or customer service.

I received 6 notices in the mail from Suntrust Bank stating they are closing my account due to suspected fraudulent activity. Two major problems here, 1- I do not nor have I ever had a Suntrust account of any kind! 2- all 6 notices had different account numbers on them! How is it possible to open several different accounts in someone else's name in such a short time frame?? I am pissed! I have tried relentlessly to speak with someone at Suntrust, the customer service & risk mgmt/fraud dept is a joke! I will be going to the police asap!!

I will never do business with Suntrust again, having been with them for 16 Years, I feel totally ripped off. I went in to the local branch of Suntrust Bank today to pay off my Mortgage Loan - woo-hoo and they hit me with a late fee of $20 for the month of January. I was on an Automatic Deduction for the past 16 years but they never deducted my January payment, and there was money in my checking account to cover this 'automatic' deduction. I was told that the loan had matured and that it rolled over into 'something else' and I should have known this. I was never given notice of this procedure by Suntrust. I asked them to waive the 'late fee' and they said no. Period! I pointed out that I had paid my loan on time for the past 16 years and was not aware of this procedural way they were doing business. This is morally wrong and I firmly believe that several laws have been broken!!

I wonder how many other people this has happened to? I believe that this is extortion and Federal Law has been broken by Suntrust. And also wonder what course of action to take next (any good attorneys out there). They should not be allowed to rip people off like this and I will not let this go because I am a man of principle. I feel cheated by Suntrust Loan Dept. and will not be recommending this company to my neighbors or friends. Suntrust, it was a bittersweet day for this old geezer and you won't get me down even though I feel a little stressed! Anyway my friends, be very wary of this bank and don't get caught like I was. I will still live the American dream! Take Care!

I have been with Suntrust for 6 years and here recently I went to withdraw my money and was interrogated by the teller, she was very rude asking what I'm I going to do with my money, ask me to sign my withdrawal slip twice. I have never been treated with much disrespect before. I called, left message to speak with the manager at around 9 a.m. Didn't get a callback so I proceeded to go to the bank and close my account since I couldn't get her to call me back about this matter. Then in November I called about a payment taken out of my account twice, they cancelled my card January like really it took two months for them to do this. After I leave with my money the manager had the audacity to call me not even 20 minutes later. They sit around and discuss you before returning your call, very unprofessional. They never have to worry about me again.

I opened Suntrust Checking and Saving account because currently, they were offering 250$ promotion. I maintained my direct deposit for 6 months to get this money but when I call them to get this promotion they said 'you got 2 direct deposits in one month and did not get any deposit in the following month'. My employer just deposited my salary one day early on November 30th not on December 1st. For just one day, they said I do not qualify requirements for getting this promotion anymore. Another problem is their system is really slow and I cannot see my transactions on time. I had to check my accounts over and over again. I do not recommend.

I have been with Suntrust for almost a year. I have always kept a healthy balance between my checking and savings account with zero problems until recently. Unfortunately, I deposited a check that ended up getting returned and it was flagged for fraudulent activity because it overdrew what was in my checking account at the time (the check had posted and I had moved the funds to a different account).

My account is now back in the green because of my regular direct deposit from my employer (that has been made for as long as the account has been opened) and I am going round and round with Suntrust to release my funds. I am not getting phone calls returned in a timely manner without needing to follow up myself. Then, after the initial three day fight I was told there was nothing they could do at the branch level and that I would need to contact the Customer Service and Fraud departments myself. I would have been happy to do that from the beginning instead of having my time wasted.

I have had a checking account with Suntrust for several years and have carried a balance in the low 5 digits. Due to work related opportunities, I have temporarily moved to Europe. When I called Suntrust and asked for a debit card, I was told by a junior person that they have an internal rule that they can't open the account unless I show up in person or do it online. The website didn't work, so I emailed Richard **, Vice President, Branch Manager, Hagen Ranch, SunTrust Bank (attaching evidence of the website malfunction) and he replied, "I do apologize but I am only to submit credit card applications for clients that are physically present in the branch." He obviously could have helped me, but chose not to do so. There is no law against opening a new account for an existing client over the phone. I am far away from home and fuming... with no options except to broadcast my experience here.

They cashed my check and did not post to the account. Their response did not make sense, stating I "made the payment with a credit card", which was obviously false, since I had attached a copy of the cashed check in my original note to them. I have made multiple further inquiries with no response. From Customer Support 01/30/2017: "I understand your point regarding line payment. I have reviewed your account and see that, you have processed the line payment from your credit card. Please be informed that, you can not make your loan/line payment using your credit/debit card. Also please know that to make a payment to a consumer loan or line, use the Move Money service within Online Banking. Hence, the payment of $1,000.00 has not been posted in your line account."

I have had four accounts with Suntrust. I currently have an everyday checking account and a business account. Last week, I could not get into my business account. The online banking and mobile banking is down constantly. After 30 minutes of talking with customer service, they told me that my account had been corrupted on their end somehow, which is why I was locked out of my account. I had to totally recreate my account. They were not able to tell me HOW or WHY my account got corrupted, just that something happened on their end. Does the public have my info? What does this corrupted account mean?

I then filed a complaint. The woman who answered my complaint can't tell me what is wrong with my account either. How do you run a business this way, let alone dealing with people's money? As if that isn't enough, I tried to log into my everyday checking account and I am not unable to access that either! All I get is incorrect username and password. It is Sunday night and I need to pay bills!!! No one at the customer service number can help me because online banking is closed. This is completely unacceptable. It is unacceptable that I cannot get into my account. It is unacceptable that Suntrust somehow did something to corrupt my account. These are their exact words - "Your account was corrupted somehow on our end but that is all I know." Horrible experience with them. I am changing banks tomorrow because, despite these issues, the online banking is down so much I am never able to access my account.

This is worst bank to do any type of business. They are all about protecting themselves and not protecting the clients. Because I had a joint acct. and the other person was a victim of scam, they stole my money to cover themselves. When I tried to recover my money, they gave the run around and told me the money is gone. $4000! They took it without alerting. I spent hours on the phone only to be treated like a victim. Basically, this bank doesn't care about their customers or their assets, they only care about themselves. They don't go the extra mile or consider your problem. They are all about covering their backs with logistics. I'm closing my account and will spread the word so that nobody gets treated like I did.

I've had 2 bad experiences with this bank. The 2nd just happened. I received a refund check of $1000.00 from my attorney in another state. The check was from a Suntrust acct. I do not have an acct with Suntrust, because of 1st experience. I just wanted to cash the check to go pay bills, so I thought it would be best to go cash it at a Suntrust branch. I walk in, present my ID & I'm asked do you have an account with us. I said, "No, I do not." So I have to pay a $7.00 fee!!! Are you kidding me? The check is drawn on this bank!!! I should have went to Walmart. They only charge $3.00. This is beyond ridiculous!!

The ladies in this bank that notarize papers don't have a clue as to what they are doing. Went in 2 times to get 1 single document notarized and they act as if they have never seen legal documents before. Very disappointed with this office. Have always used Plant City locations without a problem and have only been into this location 3 times and been a waste of time 2 out of those 3. A notary signs saying that they acknowledge you are who you say you are and sign off saying they saw you signed that damn paper! But no. These ladies obviously are incompetent!

I received 13 notices today from SunTrust stating that they had closed all of the accounts and 4 notices stated that they approved 4 different accounts overdraft protection. I have never had a account with them, I called the number provided which then I had to speak to 3 different non-speaking English people. When I had asked them for the information for where these accounts were opened told me that since these accounts were closed they did not have the information. I finally spoke to someone that spoke English. She said that these accounts were open in Morristown Tn on the 10th of this month and were not closed till the 12th when something just did not seem right.

The person that had opened up these accounts had all of my information. Opened up 5 checking accounts and 3 savings account in the same day. I am not going to call the branch where they were opened at. I will be waiting at their door at 9am. I am filing a police report and my attorney will be advise of this too. I am a single mother trying to go to school which I will not be able to go to school tomorrow just to deal with this. Things just don't add up.

They NEVER notify me for overdraft and charged me $36 for an overdraft of $5 on the same day it is overdraft. They then emailed me and gave me 5 business days (by the time they emailed me there were only 4 business days left) to move money into my account. I moved $50 into my account, however my money arrived on the 6th business day. They charged me another $36 extended overdraft fee!!!!! They charged me $72 in total for an overdraft of $5!!!

Suntrust has cut out displaying Daily balances, on website. This has got to be the most aggravating way, to do accounting that I have ever experienced. The only total you can see is what is available. I have been with them for 20 years but I will be looking around this year. It's so inconvenient to change. But I am pissed off every time I go into my business account. Someone called me today and asked how do I like Suntrust. "I know you have been banking with them for years." I said "go to a bank that understands your needs." I don't even understand how that can be a legitimate accounting practice.

Worst financial institution that you can deal with. I've opened 2 accounts at the Nashville airport branch, and at the time they had an offer of 250$ with new accounts. I was told that the reward will be deposited into the account within 8 weeks. First, they sent me 2 bad bank cards that I couldn't activate or use, and they have never sent me the checkbook they promised too so it took me a while before I was able to use my money in the account.

Also now it's 6 months later, and I've never gotten the reward, so I called the branch manager who first said they've never had that promotion. Then after trying to convince her that they did she tells me that I didn't even open my account at her branch. Then after convincing her again and arguing for a few minutes she tells me that I didn't get the reward because my account went in negative 7 months after opening the account. So you can probably tell that all their ads are false. Also anything the manager claims is a policy and I ask her which part of the policy, she says this part is usually verbally said but not written so she will claim any policy is their bank policy and tell you that they verbally told you about that policy.

This bank bites. Husband had a stroke in March. Filed POA in May. As of today I've had to go to banking centers 4 times to verify my POA. Have my name AND MY executors name on checks. Yay. Have had to "chat" with customer service 7 times because system only lets me use online 1 time. That would be after getting new sign on from them AFTER verifying again, yes I really am on account. This requires about 30-40 min per "chat" and a supervisor. EACH TIME. Does Suntrust talk to themselves? BTW - to get "chat" go to "new customer". Otherwise, it's MIA. Thank you God, husband finally agreed to close this account!

I went out of town to a hotel on biz, went to a hotel with the biz card, but they also wanted just something with my name on it, so my debit card, I was unaware that they charged the wrong card. Not knowing this because it never showed up on my available balance or current balance, I spent money all through. Even bought a cup of coffee 7-11 for 1.43 that got overdrafted. I have over 400.00 in overdraft fees, that if I only have know this would not happen. Come on, 1.43 plus 30.00 for a cup of coffee!!! People out there beware. They will get the little person. Suntrust I hope you read this, (you suck!). Thanks for taking my grandkid's Christmas away.

Call customer service. Spoke to many people and none seem to know their job. So I question my account because I made a purchase and return the item. The merchant never gave me a receipt ok. So the rep said that I need to contact the merchant. I did got nowhere because they told me to call the bank and I did so so I file a claim and the first claim got denied because they couldn't reach me for question. Really. I gave my phone to call and never heard anything from no one and I call them many of times. So again I had to do a form again this time to see about my money.

But this time I was told from a supervisor that I was sent the wrong form so my claim was denied. Really. But you have my account negative 912.02 this time because of your mistakes and it was so called fixed. Yeah for a little while check it today. It's 879.02. They charge me for items I don't have. Who does that. This is the worst bank I even had in my life plus I don't have a card so how did I made a purchase. I will be closing this account.

Suntrust Company Profile