2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions
SunTrust (Now Truist)

Suntrust (Now Truist)

3.6/5 (623 ratings)

About Suntrust (Now Truist)

SunTrust (now Truist) is a bank with a full range of online services, as well as in-store offerings in select locations nationwide. SunTrust provides multiple mortgage types, refinancing and other loan options. You can apply online for its standard and unconventional mortgage products.

Top SunTrust (Now Truist) Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust (Now Truist)?

Verified

I've been with Suntrust for 20 years. They provide a wonderful variety of accounts… They have financed the last 3 houses I've purchased and always had the lowest interest rates......

Verified

I've banked with SunTrust, now Truist, ever since I've had a bank account, so for the past 17 years. They have great customer service. I like how they are located in some Publix S...

About SunTrust Bank online banking

SunTrust Bank offers full-service online banking and some physical locations and ATMs. Its two types of checking accounts, Essential and Advantage, feature 10% cashback loyalty bonuses when linked to SunTrust Bank credit cards. It also provides overdraft protection for linked accounts, free online bill pay for checking accounts and some waived overdraft fees. Its savings accounts come with free identity protection and credit monitoring through IDNotify by Experian.

SunTrust Bank offers three types of rewards credit cards: cash, travel and prime rewards. You can link any of these to a SunTrust Bank savings or checking account for a loyalty bonus of up to 50%. All SunTrust Bank credit cards link to digital pay methods, including Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay, Garmin Pay and Visa Click to Pay. The bank also offers a secured credit card, which lets you deposit a certain amount so you can earn cashback rewards for purchases up to your set limit.

SunTrust Bank services

You can open SunTrust Bank accounts and apply for credit cards online, or you can visit a branch if there’s one in your area. SunTrust Bank’s loan officers can also walk you through its vehicle financing, debt consolidation, home improvement, personal loan offerings and mortgage and home refinancing loan options.

SunTrust Bank also has an enhanced online investment platform with no advisory fees (brokerage commissions apply) for those who want to invest no more than $50,000. If you’re a DIY investor, you can manage your portfolio and execute trades with this tool. The bank also offers private wealth management services and a client advisory center for larger investments.

SunTrust Bank fees

Both SunTrust Bank’s Essential and Advantage checking accounts require a $100 balance to open, and both have monthly maintenance fees:

• Advantage accounts cost $20 per month unless the account has $3,000 in monthly direct deposits or you maintain a $10,000 balance across all linked accounts.
  • Essential accounts cost $7 per month, which is waived if you maintain a $500 balance or have $500 or more in monthly direct deposits.

The SunTrust Bank Advantage money market savings account comes with a $17 monthly fee, which is waived if you have a balance of $10,000 or more or with a $100 monthly transfer or electronic deposit. SunTrust Bank overdraft fees are $36 ($12.50 per transfer for overdraft protection).

SunTrust Bank FAQ

Does SunTrust Bank offer free checking?
SunTrust Bank waives the monthly maintenance fee for checking accounts with a balance over a certain amount. Accounts with direct deposits that meet the minimum are also eligible for fee waivers.
Does SunTrust Bank let you overdraft?
SunTrust Bank offers overdraft protection; you must accept this service when opening your account in order to be eligible.
How much can you withdraw from SunTrust Bank?
The daily ATM withdrawal limit for SunTrust Bank’s Essential checking account is $500; the limit is $1,000 for the Advantage account.
Where is SunTrust Bank available?
SunTrust Bank has branches in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Washington, D.C. Its online services are available nationwide.

Is SunTrust Bank a good bank?

Though SunTrust Bank doesn’t have branches in all states, it offers full-service online banking nationwide. If you’re hoping to build credit, SunTrust Bank’s secured credit card with cashback rewards might be a good option. The bank charges for its checking accounts, but if you meet the minimum account balance you’ll receive a monthly fee waiver. It also offers loyalty bonuses for linking credit cards to savings and checking accounts.

SunTrust (Now Truist) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunTrust (Now Truist)?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust (Now Truist)?

Original review: June 14, 2021

SunTrust makes me feel like a valued customer. Person to person communication, they greet you by your name and always thank you for being their customer. Easy to communicate, even outside of "banker's hours".

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

How often we criticize, how seldom we praise. Such is not the case with Karen **. She was so helpful and patient in helping me set up my online mobile app for my Truist banking accounts. My technical skills are only fair but nonetheless Karen walked me through everything that was required. I would have to assume that Karen is a highly valued employee of your fine company. I thought you might appreciate this complimentary feedback. I have been a customer since 2011.

Cozy

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I very much appreciate the customer service I receive. Minus one star, however, for their silly promotional email, saying all I had to do to get a free $600 was to open a savings account and deposit at least $100,000 in the next 7 days. Oh that's ALL?! :) And if you don't have $100,000 laying around, they even had a 'poor man's option', where you could deposit $10,000 and get $100. Jeez, I don't know why I never took advantage of these deals before....oh wait... that's right.... LOL! :)

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I've been with Suntrust for 20 years. They provide a wonderful variety of accounts (checking, savings, investment, credit card, mortgage, personal loans, etc). They have financed the last 3 houses I've purchased and always had the lowest interest rates. Even with their merger with BB&T, I have had no interruption in services. Customer service and bank personnel are always very friendly and helpful.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I’ve been a customer with Suntrust for 27 years. Bank accounts, savings, car loans etc. Recently I’ve had such negative experiences with Suntrust that I went through the trouble of finding another bank and moving the myriad of accounts and automatic payments I had set up over the years. Only the truly terrible experience I have had could have made it worth the effort to change something usually as innocuous as banks tend to be. I received horrendous advise from the bank manager about an issue. Was assured things would be fixed and then Suntrust changed their commitment to how they would handle the issue twice even after having put their proposed resolution in writing.

Suntrust can’t keep their own word and don’t extend any common courtesy or trust to long long standing customers. So we are done. Have found a wonderful alternative with better service and products so in some ways I happy thankful that Suntrust showed me their true nature. Bye bye. We won’t miss Suntrust in any way, shape or form.

Original review: July 24, 2021

They have zero customer service. Headed into our 3rd month trying to get a mortgage. Their online mortgage system simply DOES NOT WORK. And you (the stupid customer) pay the price. My loan officer keeps telling me sorry...sorry...sorry, because she can't make it their system work either and her manager is on vacation. She is trying - but their system simply does not work. All management at Truist seem to be on vacation all the time. They hide themselves well. Ask your real estate about BB&T/SunTrust/Truist BEFORE you apply with them. If they say, "stay away", then heed their advice. Truist has a BAD reputation among many people in the real estate business.

Original review: July 21, 2021

I have been a Suntrust Customer for nearly 15 years and I do almost all of my banking online. I am buying a home and needed to send a wire for that transaction. I don't live near a Suntrust location, in fact the nearest one is 600 miles away from me. When I called to set up the wire I was told in no uncertain terms that the only way I could send a wire (aka use my own money) would be to purchase a plane ticket and fly back to a Suntrust branch where I would then need to take about 15 minutes to fill out a wire transfer form.

I thought the person I was talking to must be kidding, but after several other failed attempts to try to find someone who would help me that is the final answer. In 2021 in order to send a wire I must fly across country to a bank branch and hand fill a form. So that's what I'm going to do because there is literally no other option given that I am supposed to close on this home early next week. This is absolutely unacceptable and once this transaction is over I am going to be pulling all of my accounts over to a bank that actually operates as though it were 2021 not 1921.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Truist bank once SunTrust and BB&T has failed to provide customer service. My credit card was canceled but I still had to make payments. I called at least 10 times to make a payment but representatives I spoke with could not find my canceled credit card. The bank charged me late fees and reported to the credit bureau that I was late. This kind of business is against what the etiquette Of what the new USA stands for.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I opened a SunTrust online banking account a few years ago. Today I wanted to put a deposit on an item I wish to purchase. The company I am purchasing from requires either a check or a wire transfer. I use my Suntrust back account to pay my bills. I do not have checks because I pay online. Today I tried to send a wire from my account. To wire from your Suntrust account the 1st time you must go to a Suntrust branch. The closest branch is 92 miles from my house. How is this convenient?

Original review: July 4, 2021

I took out an auto loan with Suntrust Bank a few years back, last year I was working with a debt consolidation company who settled the loan and I paid in full as of late last year. Suntrust even gave me a proof of paid in full letter that I have sent to the credit bureaus. I have been begging Suntrust to report accurately to the credit bureaus for eight months and they are still reporting that I have not paid ANYTHING and that I have missed payments. This has brought down my scores over 50 points and I am not able to rent anywhere or make purchases. I am distraught and have been lied to by several of their reps saying they will report accurately and til this day they have been lying to me and the credit bureaus! Stay away from this bank at all costs unless you want your life ruined!

SunTrust (Now Truist) Company Information