Formerly SunTrust

3.7/5 (769 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Truist

SunTrust (now Truist) is a bank with a full range of online services, as well as in-store offerings in select locations nationwide. SunTrust provides multiple mortgage types, refinancing and other loan options. You can apply online for its standard and unconventional mortgage products.

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Top Truist Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've been with Suntrust for 20 years. They provide a wonderful variety of accounts… They have financed the last 3 houses I've purchased and always had the lowest interest rates......

Verified

I've banked with SunTrust, now Truist, ever since I've had a bank account, so for the past 17 years. They have great customer service. I like how they are located in some Publix S...

About SunTrust Bank online banking

SunTrust Bank offers full-service online banking and some physical locations and ATMs. Its two types of checking accounts, Essential and Advantage, feature 10% cashback loyalty bonuses when linked to SunTrust Bank credit cards. It also provides overdraft protection for linked accounts, free online bill pay for checking accounts and some waived overdraft fees. Its savings accounts come with free identity protection and credit monitoring through IDNotify by Experian.

SunTrust Bank offers three types of rewards credit cards: cash, travel and prime rewards. You can link any of these to a SunTrust Bank savings or checking account for a loyalty bonus of up to 50%. All SunTrust Bank credit cards link to digital pay methods, including Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay, Garmin Pay and Visa Click to Pay. The bank also offers a secured credit card, which lets you deposit a certain amount so you can earn cashback rewards for purchases up to your set limit.

SunTrust Bank services

You can open SunTrust Bank accounts and apply for credit cards online, or you can visit a branch if there’s one in your area. SunTrust Bank’s loan officers can also walk you through its vehicle financing, debt consolidation, home improvement, personal loan offerings and mortgage and home refinancing loan options.

SunTrust Bank also has an enhanced online investment platform with no advisory fees (brokerage commissions apply) for those who want to invest no more than $50,000. If you’re a DIY investor, you can manage your portfolio and execute trades with this tool. The bank also offers private wealth management services and a client advisory center for larger investments.

SunTrust Bank fees

Both SunTrust Bank’s Essential and Advantage checking accounts require a $100 balance to open, and both have monthly maintenance fees:

• Advantage accounts cost $20 per month unless the account has $3,000 in monthly direct deposits or you maintain a $10,000 balance across all linked accounts.
    • Essential accounts cost $7 per month, which is waived if you maintain a $500 balance or have $500 or more in monthly direct deposits.

The SunTrust Bank Advantage money market savings account comes with a $17 monthly fee, which is waived if you have a balance of $10,000 or more or with a $100 monthly transfer or electronic deposit. SunTrust Bank overdraft fees are $36 ($12.50 per transfer for overdraft protection).

SunTrust Bank FAQ

Does SunTrust Bank offer free checking?
    SunTrust Bank waives the monthly maintenance fee for checking accounts with a balance over a certain amount. Accounts with direct deposits that meet the minimum are also eligible for fee waivers.
    Does SunTrust Bank let you overdraft?
    SunTrust Bank offers overdraft protection; you must accept this service when opening your account in order to be eligible.
    How much can you withdraw from SunTrust Bank?
    The daily ATM withdrawal limit for SunTrust Bank’s Essential checking account is $500; the limit is $1,000 for the Advantage account.
    Where is SunTrust Bank available?
    SunTrust Bank has branches in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Washington, D.C. Its online services are available nationwide.

Is SunTrust Bank a good bank?

Though SunTrust Bank doesn’t have branches in all states, it offers full-service online banking nationwide. If you’re hoping to build credit, SunTrust Bank’s secured credit card with cashback rewards might be a good option. The bank charges for its checking accounts, but if you meet the minimum account balance you’ll receive a monthly fee waiver. It also offers loyalty bonuses for linking credit cards to savings and checking accounts.

Truist Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truist?

Original review: May 9, 2022

We have had nothing but trouble working with Truist. We wish our mortgage wasn't sold to these guys. Everything is difficult with them. The online accounts from setup to login to doing things is awful. Their phone system isn't any better. I swear these guys don't want you to pay them. In order to pay our mortgage, we usually have to try online a few times with errors than to try the phone payment with errors and then wait on hold until we get someone. We've tried autopay, which was a fail. I've never experienced a mortgage company that is so exhausting to pay each month. If I could move the mortgage Ioan I would do it in a heartbeat.

Original review: May 4, 2022

FYI...AVOID TRUIST BANK AT ALL COSTS! One star rating is waaaayyy too generous! This bank is the absolute worst of ANY bank! Long story as short as possible...customer service # non-reachable, hold times over an hour long & then hung up on, branch employees non-reachable by phone, wait times in line at branch very excessive. When customer passes away & family is told to bring copy of death cert to branch to note acct, keep getting calls stating past due & you tell them death cert on file & acct noted (as told to family by branch mgr), person calling states nothing noted on acct, family takes total of 4 death certs to branch mgr & told each time acct is noted as deceased, then acct is turned to collection for non-payment, adding additional fees to the deceased person's acct, trying to draft payments from a closed out acct, incurring more fees, then tries to collect from estate that has nothing to collect from...

THIS IS TERRIBLE SERVICE & SHOWS JUST HOW MESSED UP YOUR BANK IS!!! At time customer opened up the loan acct (family member was also present & heard the statement, so there's no denying it), was told by loan officer that should something happen to customer before note was paid off, since no collateral or co-signer on acct, it would be written off with copy of death cert...NOT TRUE! 4 COPIES OF DEATH CERT & NOTES ON ACCT MEAN NOTHING TO THIS TERRIBLE BANK!!!

What about the feelings of the family member bringing the death cert copies repeatedly to the branch? Truist put this acct into collections knowing the person was deceased & having 4 copies of death cert on file & acct noted as such, you're even adding on fees to a deceased acct!!! No one can give us the name & # of Pres/CEO to try & fix this, just keep referring back to non-existent customer service! I'm contacting my local tv consumer news anchor to hopefully air this story & bring awareness of the tactics of Truist bank!!! LET'S SEE HOW LONG YOU KEEP THE NEWS WAITING WHILE TRYING TO COVER THE STORY! AVOID THIS BANK!!!

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2022

As I am writing this, I have been on the phone for over an hour and a half, spoken to two different people who have told me I have called the wrong department. Wait. I just got hung up on again. FML. Why can’t I get some help from this company? Over $1000 stolen out of my account and they don’t care. I have spent over 10 hours trying to speak with someone and it always ends the same way. Click. Click. Dial tone. The good news is that when you sit on hold, you hear a recording telling you how much you are helping Truist eliminate debit card fraud….

Original review: April 21, 2022

The online banking is the worst experience I ever had. It gives out limited information on your activity. They have no chat and if I call customer service it is a 1 hour wait. They should have used Suntrust format. Theirs sucks!!

Original review: April 18, 2022

If I could give them negative 10 stars I would. It's like banking in 1975. The very worst customer experience ever. My local branch does not even answer the phone. The 800# hangs up on you repeatedly. Best bet is chat, but you will not like their answers. They hold deposits for 7 days or longer randomly. It takes 7 banking days to set up a transfer account from a non-truist financial institution. I am ready to report them to the feds for holding my money hostage. With so many banking options, run from this one as fast as you can and do not look back.

Original review: April 15, 2022

I have had to redo all my accounts with a credit card that were being debited from my checking account because Truist sent the new debit card to the wrong address. When I finally realized this I called and they said they would send out a new one. (It would have been good if they sent me an email saying to expect a new card but they didn't.) In the meantime my Suntrust (Suntrust became Truist when they merged) debit card would no longer be valid. That was over 6 weeks ago. I never received it. I called yesterday and confirmed that they had the correct address and they did. They said they would send out yet another one and I said I wanted it overnighted. They said that they could not do that. Needless to say I am switching banks asap. Don't go near this bank!!

Original review: April 12, 2022

My wife and I bank with Suntrust, Clermont, Florida recently changed to Truist. We have a business account and personal account. We have a line of credit for personal and business. I have a business in the UK with services provided by our USA operation. We prepay our suppliers and as such it leaves us with cash flow imbalance so we use our line of credit. Our personal line of credit offers a lower rate of interest so that is our first choice. Each week we take funds from our line of credit but at the end of the week we repay all or most of the loan via a bank wire transfer to the Florida business account. The money is credited to that account instantly. Money is immediately paid to the personal account and from there to the line of credit to bring down to zero. Truist have now decided that such funds require 5 days to be credited to the account.

In addition their system does not allow us to make use of the business line of credit online. Their understanding of banking systems makes me scratch my head, why do the banks bother employing idiots who do not understand. I tried to rationalize by telling the bank that if the funds are there in the business account, what prevents me from asking for a large sum of money in cash and then depositing the same into another account which would be credited instantly. Do they understand? NO. They want to charge interest on money they are holding back! Get with it Truist, this is the 21st century!

Original review: April 11, 2022

I deposited a check for $15,000 on April 7th to cover a large ECH that was scheduled to hit the account on the 11th. The check was written against my investment account at UBS. Truist cashed the check, deposited it to my account and then put $14,900 on administrative hold until April 15th. The check cleared UBS on April 8th but Truist refused to release the hold. I spent more than two hours online and on the phone with the bank and another 45 minutes in the branch. NO ONE WOULD RELEASE THE HOLD! It's important to note, that over the past year, I have transferred through EFT's or deposited checks, a total of $179,000 from UBS to SunTrust now Truist.

To solve the problem, I had UBS transfer another $15,000 to Truist to cover the ECH so they now have $39,900 of my money but the ECH was denied. To add salt to the wound, they just denied a debit card payment to my insurance company. It is so difficult to change banks today because of all the automated transactions. I will, however, begin that process today. (PS. I had banked with SunTrust for over 15 years with no significant problems!)

Original review: April 8, 2022

They have the worst customer service. I would give them ZERO if it is possible. Their hold time is always like an hour. The last time, I was waiting in line for 55 minutes. You have to spend the whole day just to resolve a simple issue.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I wish I could leave a no star review. They lost a $30,000 check when I tried to deposit it. I had to go to the branch and force the manager to go and find where the teller had accidentally dropped the check days before and never deposited it. Their online portal does not say that your credit card payment did not go through, then it did not say that it was late. They reported a 30 day late payment on my credit report. I have had perfect credit for 20 years with no problems. I called to try and dispute this and no one cares. They completely botched the merger with BBT and Suntrust. Accounts are incorrect and labeled wrong. Savings accounts are now checking accounts and vice versa. This is a company that truly does not care about the consumer. I would not recommend them to anyone. Beware!

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Truist Company Information