1.12/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

686 Suntrust Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I recently could not access my mobile banking due to some technical issues on Suntrust side. This was after depositing some money into my account from another bank account... (which later I found out did not go through cause their system was down) but I then used my card for Lyft rides of not more than $9 each. Suntrust charged me a whopping $396 worth of overdraft fees! I was obviously using my card for Lyft thinking my deposit went through and was notified yesterday that my account is in arrears! Now I called in to inform them of this and ask to reverse the fees and they say they can only give me a lousy $36! I've filed a complaint and still waiting to hear back! The guy on the line was absolutely no help! AVOID THIS BANK IF YOU CAN!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have been informed a YEAR after my deceased mother’s estate was opened that no one at SunTrust can speak with me until I submit a document in order to be named Successor in Interest. I live in North Carolina and my state does not produce the document they have asked for and never will. In the meantime they have referred my mother’s home, which is listed for sale and has a potential buyer, for FORECLOSURE! I cannot speak to anyone in Loss Mitigation because I cannot produce a document that will never exist. Did I mention that I admit my frustration and who would not be if they found out right out of the blue that they will have to jump through hoops to save their mother’s estate?!?!

Is that any reason for a “customer service agent” in Loss Mitigation who’s job is to HELP their customers actually had the nerve to threaten me??? Yes, I said threatened me! She did so after she misunderstood what I had said! She did not even get that part correct and subsequently threatened me! SunTrust best hope that I decide to let ALL of this go and move on because I do have family and friends who specialize in civil litigation and I would love to own a bank! I was calling about my deceased mother and was treated like I was nothing and she was nothing. Shame on you SunTrust.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have been with them since Citizens Bank of MD in 1992 and it has progressively gotten worse. You have to talk to ten different people and get ten different answers. Customer service is completely horrible.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Every time I have tried to access my account information in the last two months, it says the username or password I used last time does not match their records. When I go to the "forgot my password" process (actually, I did not forget my username or password, SunTrust forgot them), I make changes, and they don't work either. I tried calling the 800 number, but they don't work on weekends (neither does their online portal, apparently). When I finally get through to them, I will change my access back to paper.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Poor customer service at branch and on phone. Charge fees for everything. Locked me out of my business debit account so I’m unable to buy supplies for my business. Been 2 days trying to get it taken care of. I’m looking forward to closing account and going to another bank. Will never recommend this bank to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have been with them for 3 years in July. I didn't have any issues until tonight. About a year ago my bf car got repossessed. He had the receipts and everything but SunTrust had no record so they took it. I told him there was no way that had happened because they would of called because I thought highly of this bank. Well tonight. TONIGHT! My car got taken. I got no call to let me know I was past due. I got nothing in the mail. I was aware of a few months back I missed a payment but I've been paying every months since then. I have been paying extra to make up for the missed payment. I can't check my app because they took my loan off of my app!!! Very very upset with the way they run thing. SIDE NOTE: IN Titusville Florida I was told while trying to pay my car payment while on vacation that my military active duty I.D was a fake. Just very poor customer service.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Suntrust Bank is the worst bank I have ever dealt with! I have never had such an inconsistent hold policy and the least amount of access to my money as I do with this bank. They don’t care if you have kids or bills... Your money is on hold until they say otherwise. I deposited a money order and they held it for 13 days! I even brought them the receipt to show proof of purchase and they wouldn’t even look at it. Every single check we deposit is held for 1-3 days. Regardless of the amount. Higher amounts are longer. Very sketchy! We are in the process of moving banks. But I don’t recommend even wasting your time at this bank.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Since they moved to this new location, they have been really slow and flat out ridiculous. Today, I went through the drive up window to cash 3 checks and pull some money out of my account. I put my checks and debit card in the container (they’ve swapped over to a new system that doesn’t require deposit sheets). I sent it over and waited 10 minutes without any response, not even a “We will be with you in just a minute.” Two cars had pulled into the bay behind me right after I pulled in, meaning they were waiting just as long as I was. I pushed the call button in hopes that they were busy and had forgotten about me. I waited another 10 minutes without any response at all before getting very angry and pushing the call button several times in a row trying to get some sort of response.

After about 3 minutes, a teller pulled up the camera and started to talk to me off camera. I couldn’t see her but I could hear her (I’d know her hateful voice anywhere which shows you how often I bank here). She was extremely hateful to me saying, “We are getting to you. What do you want done?” I got hateful back and said, “I’d like to cash those checks and pull out some money from my account that goes with that debit card if that’s ok with you!” She asked how much, I told her. She hatefully asked for my license. I give it. I wait another ten minutes for some other lady to send me my money and cards. I leave angry and go to put my debit card and license up so I don’t lose them.

I had the correct cash amount but my 23 cents from cashing the checks was missing. Now, 23 cents isn’t a big deal but after all the time I spent at the bank with someone who was so hateful, I would have expected my money to be handled better. I’m furious and I’m considering moving all my money anyways because the entire Suntrust line nickels and dimes me to death with fees because I go under $5,000 in my accounts. It’s a bit too much. If you lost count, I waited over 30 minutes for someone to treat me like dirt and still give me the incorrect amount of money.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Had a check washing incident over a month a go to the tune of $5000. The Suntrust people actually cashed the two checks. It was reported immediately. They still have not refunded our money. Have kept us on hold for hours at a time with no answers. We had to open a new account when our old account only required a minimum of $3000 for free checking, and now we need $10,000 for free checking. Way to punish us. Closing account when this is settled. Been there for 25 years and have had millions go through there. Screw you.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Awful! Absolutely awful! Opened a new account with them in November and am closing the account. Poor customer service, calling customer support for anything in regards to anything on your account takes hours for something simple. Anytime I would call in I would say I would have an approximate wait time of 24-35 minutes. Then upon speaking to someone else, I would be transferred over to another department and have to wait another 35-45 minutes. Their app is useless and outdated. Customer support and bank tellers are awful. Poor customer service. I would recommend you look somewhere else!

As a credit union that is smaller I would expect to get a hold of someone for a simple question regards to account information or transfers quickly, but it should not take someone hours out of their day. No excuses! We don’t run on your time Suntrust, and especially if there is someone out there on a minutes plan. Well I feel very sad for them. Other credit union like Partners doesn’t do that, and not big banks like Chase or Bank of America. You can get a hold of someone with no to very little wait. Depositing cash same day and not being able to access! Even well before end of day deposit hours is unacceptable. I’m off better putting my deposits in a drawer than here! AWFUL!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Opened a joint account for the purpose of depositing a check written to both of us. I couldn't use the check to open the account, so I used a debit card from another account. It took THREE days for that debit card transfer to be made available. My other bank does everything instantly so I know it wasn't their fault, but Suntrust initially tried blaming my other bank. When I informed them that it was a debit card transaction and that my other bank does everything immediately (on top of the fact that the money was already immediately removed from my other account), they changed their tune and told me that it takes three to five business days for an account to be verified.

That's a little extreme for 2019, how stuck in the past IS Suntrust? -- Anyway, I opened the account to deposit a check. Did so. The check took just as long to be made available. When everything finally was available and posted, I realized that I had zero access to this money. No way to initiate a transfer from Suntrust to another bank, no debit card (one hadn't even been generated until over a week after the account was opened), no checks, absolutely zero access. I linked the account to my PayPal account in an attempt to gain access to my money. I initiated a transfer via PayPal. THREE. BUSINESS DAYS. LATER. Suntrust still has the transaction as pending!

Calling them is absolutely pointless. The first time I called was to ask when I would be allowed to deposit a check after opening the account. I had to speak with a supervisor just to get someone that could comprehend my question. Luckily, it will all be over tomorrow when I'm able to physically go into a branch to get my money and close this account.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I have been banking with Suntrust since 2013. From start to NOW FINISH, has by far been the WORST banking experience ever. One of the many occurrences happened recently when I was contacted by their fraud department on Dec 15th, due to suspicious activity on my account. I confirmed that the activity was fraudulent. “Supposedly” there was stop placed on the card and another card was issued avoiding any future transactions to be processed. Here we are today, still no new card AND an approved transaction that was previously confirmed fraudulent over 2 weeks ago for 1,500.00 leaving my account a negative 300.00, processed on the same card and by the same merchant that attempted to process it previously and no one is able to explain HOW, and or WHY?

The local branch neither the customer service department is able to tell how were they able to process a transaction on a card that I previously cancelled for the same exact fraudulent activity was approved 2 weeks later. So as a result of their negligence I have to wait while they investigate what they failed to do as my financial institution, a bank that I am trusting with my money and NO MONEY. Not to mention pending transactions that I have that a being rejected due to the negative balance. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO??? I took the necessary steps and Suntrust still FAILED me AGAIN!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I just can't believe I've been with this bank for over 15 years. I don't even know why they offer an online service if it's ALWAYS unavailable. I mean ALWAYS. Such garbage, you can't even look at your accounts at will. New year, new bank. I'm switching ASAP.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I opened a checking account with a certified postal money order and then 3 days later I was told my account was closed and my water funds is left would be mailed to me. I don’t understand why the account was closed. No one gave me any details whatsoever.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

SunTrust is by far the worst bank I've ever dealt with. I recently got an overdraft fee in my account yet my balance is positive. Customer representative couldn't even explain how the math works. Only kept repeating about current and available balance. This isn't the first time they've tried to get over on me. All they do is try to prey on people instead of helping them quote "build Financial confidence". I never have confidence when dealing with SunTrust as they keep me on edge about what transactions will be shown and how they are placed. I have even had transactions not show on my records that I knew were there leaving me blind to the actual amount of funds in the account. Nobody should ever bank with these people. I will be closing account NOW!!!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I was a Suntrust customer for two years, mostly without issues but that all changed suddenly Dec 23rd, 2018. I was buying Christmas gifts when my debit card was denied at the register with my 4th purchase. I immediately called the Suntrust Fraud line to verify my identity and transactions. They turned the card back on. I went back into Walmart and was declined immediately again. I called the fraud dept again and they assured me the card should work but it didn't. So I requested an ATM increase so I could buy my gifts in cash.

I made a withdrawal of $600 and then also made an online purchase of some tickets and was then on my way to a 9 hr trip to visit family. I stopped at Bojangles and tried my debit card but I was denied again. This time I called the Suntrust Fraud dept to reactivate my card for the 3rd time and they said 'No, my account was under Review.' For what? They had no good explanations. I couldn't even purchase gas, I had to use one of my purchased gift cards to get to my destination.

The next day I went to a branch to finally figure out what they were doing with my account. After over an hour with a bank representative and Monica, a supervisor from the Fraud dept, she said she would try to expedite the investigation and call me with details ASAP. She claimed that she personally can't speak to investigators in Fraud because they only communicate by email. Really, a dept that has the power to turn your account on or off has no phones? Sounds like a lie.

Anyway later that morning, Christmas Eve, Monica called me back and said everything was fine on the account and I could use my debit card as usual. However, two hrs later, I was denied again at a store in VA. I couldn't believe it. I called back to customer service and they said that due to bank and rules and regulations that Suntrust was closing my account. And that I would get a letter of explanation and my bank account balance in 10 business days. There was no explanation of the preliminary review, no explanation of the so-called regulation I supposedly broke, no apology for denying me access to my funds on Christmas Eve. Just the absolute worst 24hr bank experience I have had. This bank is unbelievable. I will report this to FDIC. Looks like this happened to others as well. Unbelievable!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I wish there was a zero star option because that's what I would choose. So on Wednesday the 19th at 8:16PM I get a notification that there might be fraudulent activity on my account. So I immediately call them and verify all my information and they said they would put in a claim. Ok first off since it just happened they should of voided the payment. SO they basically drained my account leaving me with $43 while they "investigate". It’s been two days and they have done nothing at all! So basically they expect me to do all the work, so what do their "investigators" actually do? Nothing apparently. So I'm left with $43 dollars for ten days. They didn't seem to care or offer any advice or assistance. Once I get my money back I'm changing banks ASAP. I have even spoke with the manager over the fraud department he was no help either!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I have been banking with Suntrust for over 20 years. I used to go into the bank two or three times each week to do my banking, seeing the same people every time. Now, they are closing several location and moving the employees around so when you go to the bank there is someone new every time. In the last year they have cut back their hours of operation, opening later and closing earlier. The employees now have no common sense. The other day I took a check and wanted to cash, a check written on a Suntrust account and I have been a customer for over twenty years with a large balance in the account, producing little or no interest.

After waiting five minutes they said that there was a hold on the account, not mine but the person who gave me the check. The person who gave me the check had just deposited over $100,000 the day before and I had money in the account and they give you a hassle. Today, wanted to deposit a money order and it had the name of person giving the money order and my name, but did not have an address on the money order so they did not want to take the deposit, a money order. Went to another branch and had no problem. Total morons working for this bank

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I had my account with SunTrust for almost a year and suddenly they closed it without any previous notice holding over $2300. When I called them, they said that they do not have to notify me because when I opened the account I signed the papers of rules and policy and that is stated in those papers. The representative on the phone told me that they will close my account after 5 days of no transaction, and I will receive the funds in a cashier check approximately 15 days after the closure.

This has been going on for a month now. I kept calling them and they keep putting me on hold for 30-45 minutes basically until I give up. Finally, yesterday I spoke to someone who said that my account is under "investigation" until March of 2019. I now have $2395 in my account and cannot access to it until they are done with the "investigation." I do not have access to the Suntrust website, it looks like I never had an account with them. I can’t believe that this is something legal. I will warn everyone I know not to open an account with this bank.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I wish I had read reviews before I opened an account. There are several people experiencing the same problems I have with this institution. Holding my money hostage! I have direct deposit and have been a customer for more than 4 years, they close my account and did not tell me but still collecting my direct deposit. They don't seem to care that people work hard for their money. No text, no email, no call telling me they are closing my account. My account is frozen I can't go online to see where my money is... Can they just do this?

Then they say that there has to be 5 days of no transaction then my account will be closed. But there will never be 5 days of no translation, because checks are deposited twice a week. If I didn't follow through and ask for answers they would have continued to take my money and I would have no access to it. Terrible bank. I would have never said this had I not been treated so unfairly. They still haven't given me a reason why and just said due to the "rules and policy". I would never recommend this bank to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

We had a fire in our house in August. The insurance company sent us a large check that needed to be endorsed by me and by the bank that services my mortgage (Suntrust). They are the ones holding the check now. From the beginning they have not been straight or honest with me about the next steps. Every time I call them they have a new reason why they can't send me the check. I think all they want to do is hold on to my check so they can invest it and make money.

I sent them all the information they required. I checked the website, and it said there were documents missing. I called, and they said it was a problem with the contractor's W9 form. But, it seemed like it should have been accepted, according to the operator. She said she'd make sure it was accepted, and they'd send the check to me. That was November 12th. I checked the insurance claim website again about 10 days later, and found out that the W9 was still not accepted. I spoke to another agent. They told me the same thing as the first agent.

Another week went by and I checked the website again, which said the W9 was still not accepted. I began calling every day at that point. Sometimes I would call two times per day. Every time I spoke to someone they told me about another document that I had to send in for the case to be accepted, or they told me that the W9 was unreadable, and it needs to be sent in again. Every agent had a different story.

I asked for supervisors, but there were none available ever. It's now December 13. The website says that my check will be processed and sent within 7 business days. However, now it also says that the contractor's bid has not been accepted. The W9 has been accepted. I seriously don't know how these agents sleep at nighttime, knowing they have dealt with clients so dishonestly.

I have been a customer of Suntrust Bank since 2008. I have never missed a mortgage payment. The interest rates have gone up since then, so I will not change banks for financial reasons. I would switch if I could. So, the only method of telling the world about the deceitful, devious, and dishonest practices being carried out by Suntrust Bank was to write this review.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Have had my account for a few years and have never had any problems. Opened an account for my minor son (who is now an adult) so our accounts were "connected". He experienced fraud activity on his account this past weekend, due to his debit card being lost or stolen and immediately called to file a case. After trying to use my own debit card and having it be declined, I immediately logged into mobile banking only to see that $400 had been fraudulently withdrawn from my account using the debit card that belonged to my son! Of course I immediately called Suntrust to report this and a case was opened for me as well. I went into a branch the very next day to discuss this whole issue with the Branch Manager and see if I could get some answers/resolution. I also had 2 checks to be deposited and I was afraid to deposit them but was told it was "Fine" and to go ahead and do so.

So, thinking I now I have money in my account while I wait for the so-called "investigation", I try to check my account online only to find I have been locked out and after speaking to someone I find out my account has been closed - without any reason or explanation. I now have over $1000 in my account and cannot have access to it for God knows how long. And all I keep getting from them is "I'm so sorry", "I totally understand". I live paycheck to paycheck and have bills and Christmas to pay and who knows when I will get my money from them! I hate this bank and will never do business with them again and will warn everyone I can! This is criminal and I can't believe it is allowed.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Bought a car from their customer on 10/6/2018. Was told that they will mail the title from 10 to 12 business days. On 10/29/2018, the title has not arrived so I called the bank to inquire. The rep asked for the 17 digit account number which I could not provide and which they asked me to get it from the seller. The next day I called again and gave them the account number.

After so many questions to verify my identity, I was told that they could not tell me anything about the title since my name is not on the loan. I told them I'm the buyer the first time I called and they knew my name was not on the loan. I had the seller call them and they told him that it should already be on its way to the seller. On 11/5/2018, seller still hasn't got the title. He called Suntrust and was told lots of alibi. Calls went back and forth several times only to find out that they may have sent it to the wrong address and the seller had to request for a new title. The bottom line is that Suntrust is so incompetent that I will not be caught doing business with them for whatever reason ever again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Every time I try to check my online banking account, I am met with a request to enter a one-time passcode to be allowed access... This is supposedly a security feature to fight against fraud, but all it does is make it so you cannot ever use online banking because it takes up to 30 minutes to receive the passcode, and by then it is no longer valid. If you try this more than once, the system locks you out, again supposedly for 'account security reasons', and you are now left with trying to do the impossible, and actually reach someone at customer support, or the local branch.

NOBODY at Suntrust ever picks up the phone to help you, and you are left on hold basically until you give up and go away. The same is said about trying to reach someone at the local branch, all you get it endless answering machines to leave voicemails on that will never be responded to. As well, nobody ever answers a request for chat assistance, and the stupid little circle just keeps spinning, while claiming they are trying to find you an agent. So basically, Suntrust Bank does NOT offer online banking with an account, and this is just a lie to suck you in!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

The branch manager was in my face, I said at least three times to please leave me alone, and then a woman put her hand on the manager and actually pushed her out of my face. I was talking to the woman in line and told her this was the worst run branch, then the manager came and proved it. I'm sure there is lobby video and the bank should access it. This happened to me on Friday at around 10 am.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My mother passed away in early October. The end of October I went into the Bank to close a small IRA that my mother had. I was told that there was no Beneficiary set up on the account. I knew there was as my mother and I opened the account together 5 1/2 years earlier. The customer service person Allison told me that I would have to hire an attorney and file it with the courts to get it. I left the bank and called my attorney in which he started immediately. I went home and searched all my files and lo and behold I found the Beneficiary Form that SunTrust and I signed 5 1/2 year earlier. SunTrust almost cost me money to hire an attorney and file all the appropriate papers to open an estate.

I went back to the bank and of course waited for over an hour to see a customer service rep to get this taken care of (in which happens every time I go there). I was then told I would have to close this account with the Manager Lisa and she was on vacation as well as the other beneficiary had to be there. My sister flew in town and we went into the bank and met with Lisa the Manager. She provided us with all the forms to sign and told us what had to be done. The Manager assured us that everything was done and we would receive our monies within a couple weeks.

Over three week went by and no money. I called the bank to find out that Lisa was not there again. Allison said she was the only one there and had several people waiting to see her. I asked her to call me back in which she did a couple hours later to say we had to sign another form. I said, "Are you kidding? A Manager doesn't even know everything we needed to close this account and send the monies to the appropriate beneficiaries." Once again no one is held accountable for doing their jobs correctly anymore. I am so fed up. I am going to move all my accounts (approximately 7 accts.) out of SunTrust as I am sick of their incompetence and never having enough staff to handle the walk-in load.

Why is no one held accountable anymore? Why are our banks that hold our money and use it not hiring enough people to handle our business. It is as though they just don't care about the customer service anymore. They just want your money to use and that is all they are about. They don't make sure to hire the correct people to do the job. If you want good customer service DO NOT consider this Bank, I have had way too many problems and are sick of it myself. They will lose a large amount of business from me. I worked for Banks for many years and it was so different then. It was all about the customer and what we could do for them and in a very timely manner, but not anymore. VERY VERY SAD!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Terrible customer service. I opened a account through Suntrust. Waited 24 hours to be able to be allowed to mobile deposit. I made a mobile deposit then had to wait 24 hours for it to clear. Which was fine. I knew that beforehand. Well I waited the 24 hours. Went online to check if the money has posted but instead I had been restricted from entering my account. I called waited one hour before talking to someone. All they told me was fraud and we can close the account whenever we please. I insisted on my money and they told me the best they can do is send a check back to me from their bank which wont be shipped out for another 14 days on the good side of things. When I demanded for an explanation all I was told was "Let me repeat Suntrust can close an account down whenever they want to".

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My account is frozen and no one will provide a reason why. They are holding my money hostage for a month. I can't pay my bills and I will become homeless. I can't believe this is legal. My experience is very similar to the reviews on this site.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Opened an account with Suntrust Bank in July. I am not a prize account holder, but with my direct deposit the bank always get their fees. I deposited a 3rd party check for $5000 on the 19th of November, I was told they would put a hold on it until the 19th, which turned into the 22nd. Check the bank, and money is there. I used my card twice earlier in the day, then go to Brown Thursday to take advantage of sales at Wal-Mart. Card declined 3 times, the 4th attempt it went thru. The next day I go to their branch in Macon to withdraw cash.

My account has been closed. No warning, or notification. Ok, with $3600 left in the account, they cant give me a reason, no why, no nothing. At first I was told there was 2 fraudulent transactions, but they couldnt tell me any more than that. Get a manager on the phone, she said. She didnt know where that came from and that my account was under review for closure. I needed to have 5 days of no activity, and then it would take up to 20 business days to cut me a cashier check. Can they do this? Just hold money hostage? They have booted me off the online Suntrust website, like I dont even have an account. I cant even monitor what is happening with my money. They claim it's to ensure my money safe and for my benefit. Wth???

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I opened a Suntrust account approximately 2 months ago and it has been nothing but hell. I am a victim of an employment scam, and as soon as I was aware I notified the branch. My account was frozen, and I was told it would be for 15 days. Today I called, and was told it will be another week. I have not been able to touch any of my money for almost a month now, and cannot pay my bills. I additionally have a credit card with them, and called the customer service line due to the card being declined, with available funds on it. Customer service refused to give me information and said I have to go into a branch about this issue. I Have never been treated so poorly by an establishment, and will tell everyone and anyone I know about my poor experiences. DO NOT BANK HERE!!!

Suntrust Company Information