3.18/5

747 Suntrust Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The service with my local branches in VA has been good. Now that Suntrust & BBT are merging, I am a little troubled. I am going to the local branch today to iron out the future banking with them may or may not do banking, I will know soon.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have been working closely with a client of mine who is also a client of the SunTrust bank in Douglas, GA. I had the pleasure of speaking with a Mr. N. ** a few times due to us having the same client. I highly recommend working with him because he is patient, professional, and very helpful anyway he can be. If you're thinking about SunTrust, stopping thinking and open an account. You won't regret it!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have been with this bank for over 20 yrs. And they have always had my best interest at heart. Always trying to find me ways to save and build my money. The people are always pleasant and ready to help with any questions you might have. I had to email a question a few days ago to a representative, and she called me back within 10 minutes. WOW. Now that's going the extra mile.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Suntrust is a nightmare to deal with. They focus on Business - Employee - then their Clients in that order when Clients should always be thought of first. I opened an account after moving down to GA, thinking they would be a good bank, but nope. I went to deposit my paycheck, while direct deposit is pending, and the teller tells me "The funds will be available tomorrow, but rarely there is an extended hold. If there is a hold, call customer service to have it lifted."

There was a hold on my paycheck, which is generated by ADP, from a Fortune 500 company, who banks with Wells Fargo, and still Suntrust refuses to release the funds keeping it for 10 full days. Stating "It's due to your account being new and decided by our Risk department". How fraudulent can this kind of check be, it will not bounce. My previous bank in NY held my funds but all I did was provide my paystub showing it was a legit check and they released my funds immediately. Therefore it is Suntrust's policy, which can be overwritten, to hold my funds for their self-interest. Train your tellers to give accurate information, policies and disclosures are written but can always be overwritten by whomever responsible in any business.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I recently was in the process of selling my home and so I went to SunTrust Bank on W. Oakland Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale to make a deposit of $500.00 to keep the account active, so once we receive the money form the sale of our house it could be sent to that account. Now bear in mind, I had 3 accounts at SunTrust. 1 personal and 2 Business accounts but I closed them due to my Clients and Customers using PayPal. However, I kept my personal account. That being said, I spent time with the Manager and one other member of the branch talking and being social which was nice so there were no reason for me to be treated like a criminal or a terrorist.

On the said day I came to make the $500.00 deposit, I had left my optical Doctor office and so I had to wear sunglasses. While I was waiting in line no one said anything to me. Once I got to the teller the Manager told me to remove my glasses. I told her its tested glasses. I then proceed to hand over my bank card and driver’s license, but the Manager told teller to hold my license until the transaction was finished which never happened before all the time I had been to that branch and other SunTrust Banks.

I felt offended, I could understand if I were withdrawing a certain amount of money and even though why hold on to my driver’s license after you verified who I claimed to be, and on top of that, she was not very professional and her demeanor at that time was not customer related-like. After the transaction, I had to remind her who I was but the damage had been done and after some thought regarding the setup there… With no sign-in sheet, the employees don’t greet you unless they know you… Very cold or just acting privileged.

It’s not a nice place to do banking. I CLOSED my account and took my $435000.00 from the sale of my house and deposit half at Space Coast Credit Union and the other half at Bank of America where I already had an account and was happy with their conduct and management. I gave SunTrust Bank a chance and they fail measurably. They disappointed me to the highest extent. This type of behavior is not acceptable to a person with Social Graces. Sorry but more people-friendly TRAINING is needed at that branch. At Space Coast and Bank of America I never had that problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: May 19, 2019

$10,600 stolen off account number and Suntrust refused to repair. A company went into my account 2 years ago and took $5300. I disputed it and Suntrust was unable to retrieve the funds so they wouldn’t pay me back. They told me this merchant could never do this again. Feb 2019 the same company did the same charge. Suntrust was unable to get the funds back and made up an excuse why they aren’t paying me back. So now I am out $10,600. I’ve got perfect credit and been with the bank for roughly 8 years. I put 500k a year in my checking. I have mortgage and other products with Suntrust and they still crap on me. It’s this one guy who works there Haywood **. He is evil. If I told you the things he said and did, you would know to just stay away. My attorney has the case in court now. We shall see what trick Suntrust has up their sleeve this time. I hate this bank. Pure evil.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I’ve spent over 10 years with this bank until today. Today I woke up for the last time seeing my account overdrawn due to fraud. For the 3rd time in 2019 I’ve had fraudulent activity. It’s not from a card transaction either. It’s from my account and routing number, which I never give out. So here’s what you have to do if this happens, it’s super fun. You usually find out when you’re on your way to work with an empty tank of gas. Card declined, check mobile banking ohh negative 900$. Call the 1800 number wait on hold for 45 minutes. They freeze and delete your account, while they investigate the fraud. 10 days.

You can’t open a new account because your frozen one is in the negative.... That means your direct deposit can go nowhere. Then you get to fill out fraud forms and fax them in. Because everyone has access to a fax machine. Email and esign is way too much work for Suntrust. There goes your car payment and your mortgage and car insurance too. All the while I’m wondering who from Suntrust is on the inside giving out banking info. Is it the overseas call center? I don’t know. Today I finally said goodbye and opened a BofA account. Good luck Suntrust. You are the worst bank.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Got a check made out on Suntrust to me. When I went into cash it they told me because I didn't have an account it was going to cost me $7 to cash their check so my opinion of Suntrust must say it sucks. That way I don't have to use any other language. Then they have the audacity to try to get me to open an account that sucks too.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I've been banking with Suntrust for years so I needed an overdraft which I overdraft a lot but I always pay and I never have any issues. So I'll put the money back in there before it was time for the overdraft. I go back in there they overdraft my whole $300 that was for the bill. Gave me less than 24 hours before they overdraft me but the money was in there before that. These awesome scammer at Suntrust. I am about to lose their account and go to credit union with cheaper fees. I will never ever bank with Suntrust again. No good and I was told to leave them alone. I should have listened but now I know. When I needed them they did not come through. Any other time they taking all my money and I don't complain. Hell was Suntrust.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Suntrust Banking in Atlanta, GA. I was recently scammed by a fake Twitter account. I of course did not know this and fell head over heels in love. After my credit card was used by this scammer, I noticed a bank account number set up in my auto pay from Suntrust. I only had last 4 digits but I look up Suntrust and went straight to corp. I called the number online, I got a property mgt and asked for Corp. phone number. She gave me one and I called and asked for the FRAUD dept. She put me straight through. A man came on and I asked him his name, he said KURT. Well KURT was the name given me by the scammer to send money to, but I never did.

I couldn't believe I got this KURT on the ph. I panicked and hung up. Then I went through the same procedure again to get back to KURT, first gal gave me corp. number, next gal said, she can't put me directly through to FRAUD and needed to take some info. I told her about KURT and that he is involved with a HUGE scam syndicate utilizing Suntrust. I never got back to KURT. So all you people BEWARE, there are multiple scammers using this Bank. They start on Twitter, Instagram, FB and more, then woo any woman, like me, into trusting them, then get all their card and banking info and SCREW YOU. I have tried to get help to catch these people but so far no good. So I hope by posting this, I can make a difference in someone's life. DO NOT RESPOND TO LOVE INTERESTS FROM ANYBODY ON TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, FB OR ANY OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I opened my account online with Suntrust on a Monday. I had a deposit go in on Weds the same week. I had not received my debit card yet and the closest branch was 20 miles away. The only way I could access funds was to transfer funds using the Zelle App on bank's website to a family member who in return gave me the cash. Two days later I tried to log in the Suntrust app and I was locked out; so I had to call and have it removed. At the same time I questioned the CSR on when I should expect my debit card in the mail. He did not understand English very well and thought I was wanting to order a replacement debit card. Now why would I need a replacement when I hadn't even received my initial debit card.

Anyways long story short this caused my account to be flagged for possible fraud. So at this point I was totally disgusted so I visited the local branch to resolve the matter or close my account. They told me that I could not access my money that I deposited in their bank. They completely froze my account of all activities.... I was told that after 5 days the account would be closed and a check would be sent to me within 3 weeks.

I failed to understand that with my identity in question...they would rather send my money by check to my address instead of me being in front of them with State ID and other identifying documents and releasing me my money on spot. Complete hassle.... I do not recommended Suntrust to anyone. Stay Away... I understand protecting your money from others but keeping it from the account holder is just complete nonsense. I have been in contact with my lawyer because of all the late payments they have cause me by not allowing me to access my money.

Resolution response: May 6, 2019

I realized that my review may come across as rude, and I didn’t want to be mean in my review, especially since I’m not a suntrust customer. I’m planning on calling the specific branch this week to speak with a manager.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I went into the Radford branch because I had a check to cash and I thought about opening an account. The lady helping me was older, seemed unwell (coughing and not able to speak well), she was finally able to tell me there was a $7 fee, I wanted to question, but she seemed like she couldn’t understand me. I waited around 10 minutes to finally get finished and I didn’t end up cashing the check. Meanwhile, while she was helping me, the other teller had already helped 3-4 people. Also, there was a very strong perfume smell around the teller line, and honestly a strong urine smell. I really did think I wanted to move my business there because of the merger with BB&T but this experience really turned me off. Maybe I’ll open an account after the merger in a different location.

Original review: May 4, 2019

When I opened my account at Suntrust I told them I did not want overdraft protection. And now they are taking my largest transactions first and then the small ones causing me to overdraft. One merchant tried getting paid 5 time and my bank cancelled the transaction each time and fund were available. They never told me about these being cancelled. Instead they set me up for a overdraft as my direct deposit was coming. It took the merchant 6 tries to get paid. Suntrust finally let a payment go through and did it so they could charge me a overdraft fee of 36 dollars even though I told them I did not want overdraft protection.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have had ongoing claims of fraudulent activity for the past 6 months and am still sending rebuttals. I now have an attorney involved. After making a one time purchase online for $50, someone has been using my information to withdrawn money. As of today, it is over $500. Suntrust refuses to pursue this stating that since I did business one time with this vendor, they won't pursue the fraud activity. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Someone is using my information to steal my money and they won't do anything to help recover it. Even after closing my debit and getting a new one, they still allow transactions to go thru. I have closed my account and it is now being handled by my attorney. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SUNTRUST!

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have had a account with Suntrust for the past 4 months with a direct deposit going to my savings no problems. I didn't have any negative balances, overdrafts, or anything. I opened a checking account with them a month ago. Deposited money in it no problems. So on my payday I was not able to get into my account. Called customer service. They told me my account is under investigation and I was like why?

They tell you this scripted line due to Suntrust Regulations we are not able to tell you. Okay you can't tell me anything about my account which is having my pay direct deposited. I also wrote a check and they said they will not pay for it and I went through the roof. I had money in that checking account to cover the check but they froze it. Now the check is bounced and I have to pay a return check fee. They mailed me a letter still not explaining the details of the account closing. I also received two checks in the mail from the money they held while doing an investigation today. Oh yeah I'm part of the 1.5 million people who data was breached go figure.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I opened an account with Suntrust online prior to moving. Well, someone had hacked into my checking account and tried to cash a phony cashier's check. Suntrust then closed my account without letting know what had happened. When I tried to get my money I was told it would be mailed to me. They’re acting like I’m the bad guy not the victim. Then when I asked for a copy of the closure letter they said they couldn’t do that. What a joke of a bank.

Original review: April 26, 2019

CAUTION! The people who handle your credit card transactions don't know what they are doing. I waited on the phone 2 times for over an hour because they couldn't figure out what they were doing. I received my monthly statement showing a minimum payment due with an additional amount for a late fee. I contacted them & was told it was their error which they would fix. I was told to pay my minimum payment & they would adjust the balance of my account & correct the minimum payment. They warned me that this adjustment might not get done until the next day which might generate a late fee due to new statement processing. They reassured me that they would make sure this generated late fee would be reversed.

Well, my account was correct after I sent an email to remind them, but my minimum payment added additional charges to include this error by Suntrust accounting. Not only did it include this late fee but the error from previous month was not corrected leaving me to owe my minimum payment PLUS the errors by them. I also tried to use my card during this time & they had locked it down as their system showed me late on my payment. Note, I had made all payments on time, it was just these late fee errors that were causing the problem. I was harassed by several calls a day & received a letter that I was late on my payment. Because my next payment was due soon, I again called their customer service to get it cleared up spending over an hour on the phone while they tried once again to figure out what their accounting had done. I spoke to not only CSR but someone in management who spoke with collections to get advice.

This was the outcome of that hour on the phone. There was NOTHING they could do about the minimum payment, my account had been adjusted correctly & the overstated minimum payment would pay down my balance. That as far as they were concerned, I owed that minimum payment.... So even though they had made the errors & even admitted they did, all they would do is note conversation on my account & discuss it with the CSR who had misquoted me. So this is how they treat their customers. They make the errors but you have to pay. I am an accountant & find this intolerable.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I applied for a mortgage and had the worst experience with the fraud department calling and asking if my children lived with me because their records showed them at my address; and if they did, I could not refinance my home unless I did so as an investment property. These are adult children with their own homes. In the end they tried to get me to agree that no one else would live in my home for a year... That's when I put a stop to the whole process and used another company. When did having your children appearing at your address in any public record in the mortgage application process become a crime? ONLY AT SUNTRUST!!! What a nightmare!!

Original review: April 26, 2019

I don't like how this company take my money. I have a right to spend my money when I want to and how I want. You guy take 6 dollars from my account every time I use my card. Not happy at all. I don't work for people just to be taking my money just because they feel like it or because I use my money when I want to. I will be closing down my account.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I am going to be taking them to small claims because the bank withdrew two payments without express authorization AND they will not allow me to withdraw my banking information from the website. FRAUD! While traveling in Germany, knowing I was there, I had called, they stopped my card and I was stranded without phone service. This bank is a Mickey Mouse bank and they really have no business doing banking!

Original review: April 22, 2019

My checking account was opened for less than 60 days. I deposited my tax refund check via the ATM. The check cleared the next day but unfortunately 3 days later I attempted to log in to my account to check my balance as my payroll deposit had posted and realized that I no longer had access. I contact customer service and was advised that my account was frozen and will be closed. They stated that I would receive a letter in the mail detailing the reason why and will receive a check for the balance of the funds in the account within 7-10 days. $4,167.27 of my funds has been held hostage since March 5, 2019.

I finally received a letter on April 10, 2019 stating that my account has been closed with ABSOLUTELY NO SPECIFIC REASON AS TO WHY. The fraud department is stating that Suntrust can hold funds indefinitely! Claiming there is a legal debit hold on the funds as if I owe someone and that is a total LIE. Worst experience ever! Something has to be done about this. The public needs to be aware of Suntrust business practices. I will do everything I can to put Suntrust on blast, as this is not fair.

Original review: April 17, 2019

This bank is the worst bank I have ever had. They closed my account on my saying there was fraudulent activity on my account. In which there was not. It was me transferring money to my other bank that has my business account. They took almost 2500 from me and will not return it. They said they have the right to withhold it indefinitely. Then I had told the bank they stole money from a disabled veteran and they didn't care. I am so upset over the behavior of this bank. Please do not use this bank.

Original review: April 14, 2019

From bad to worse! I left my previous bank due to a Zelle mistake and them taking money unauthorized out of a 7 year old's account. They fixed it but I felt the need to still switch. I found WORSE instead of better! Food tubie is a person that can’t eat by mouth and uses a feeding tube in their stomach to eat liquids only. All of my food has to be ordered and I have been doing this for years so I know what I’m doing. My first transaction with my new bank Suntrust was a disaster. I ordered my box of liquid food as usual and I had -$33 on my both my checking accounts and savings due to overdraft protection. I called and they tried to tell me that I ordered 2 boxes instead of 1. I called the medical company I order from for 3 years now and they said that I ordered my usual 1 box and the bank took the money out when they authorized me using a new card. Then when the company shipped it, the bank charged me again!

I called them and they tried to tell me that I ordered 2 boxes. In 3 years, I never ordered 2 boxes because I use 1 box a month and I’m on a fixed income due to my health. I feel the only reason I got my money back is because I had the receipt the company sends on what was ordered. Also I called the company and they confirmed 1 boxed ordered and 1 box shipped. This is scary because I understand mistakes are made but not at the expense of someone’s life.

I was more stressed out because it affected my mortgage payment also, and I acquired late fees for something that should have gone through because I know my bills and what goes on monthly for me to live. How do you dispute the bank if they don’t catch their mistakes with your money? I now understand my grandmother about the banks being crooks and it’s safer to keep your money between your mattress. It dangerous but so is a bank saying they have to check into this before letting you have your own money due to their mistake.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I read three reviews in a row about how Suntrust closes accounts for no reason. I called and told them that if they do that to me, it would turn my life upside down. They clearly stated: "We do give a reason. Such as having too many 'bounced' items, negative balance for too long, etc." I also know that if the address gets changed, and the bank is not notified, problems will arise. Trying to deposit a cashier's check from a work-at-home scam will get the account closed. Also having a judgement against you could possibly close an account. Ex: cable bill went to collections and collections sued the customer. And having another checking account in that is in bad standing with ChexSystems would do it.

It can take 2 months for ChexSystems to update. I wish the people that reviewed here would be more honest. Banks do not just close accounts out of the blue. Notice how there are no lawsuits against banks for this? There is always a reason. Only 3 stars, because when I called, I got someone with an Indian accent that I could barely understand.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Wednesday April 10, 2019, I went to try and take some money out the ATM and the transaction was declined. Knowing I had over $2000 in my account I logged into the mobile app only to that my Checking account was no longer listed. I ran into the bank and sat down with one of the bankers to try and figure what was happening, they were unable to give any information, all they could see on my account was Account Frozen/No Debit/Do not reissue. So I was told to call their fraud department.

After several calls to the fraud line and speaking to 3 different reps and the same supervisor twice the only information I could get out of anyone was that SunTrust had decided to terminate the relationship and that I would get a letter in the mail explaining the reason and that I would receive a check in the mail if they decided after reviewing my account that they owed me any money. So basically they are holding all the money I have to my name hostage and won't even give me a reason as to why. I have banked with this SunTrust my entire adult life and always kept my account in good standing. I am completely blown away that any bank can just take all my money without a court order and not give any reasons. I will be taking this to every extreme I know of to bring this criminal activity to the public eye.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I would advise before you open an account with SunTrust Bank. I've had a good standing account with them for two years. All of a sudden one week ago they froze my account has been frozen for one week will be closed next week April 15th. No response. No information. No nothing. Just closing it for bank regulations. I have come across five other people who bank with SunTrust who have also had accounts closed in the last week with SunTrust. They have now frozen all of my funds from my savings account and my checking account. I usually don't do this but I would definitely look into another bank before you open a bank with SunTrust.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Opened account. Did a mobile deposit. $60. Nothing outrageous. Next day tried to check acct. Restricted. Call customer service. So I did. SunTrust decided to "end the relationship." No reason given. The check I deposited cleared, but told I'd receive a letter and check in 7-10 business days. Shady business practice. Do NOT USE THIS RIDICULOUS EXCUSE FOR A BANK.

Original review: April 4, 2019

The ATM machines are always down in our area. I tell them to refund my out of network ATM fees because they cannot maintain their machines accurately. No luck, the app for banking is always down daily and the website. Mobile deposit doesn't work and the bankers cannot see mobile deposit is pending until they post to your account. The bank orders the transactions and creates made up charges. I have once had an unauthorized charge to my account it never posted went into pending. They overdrafted my account for it and refused to do anything about it. They said they had to charge overdrafts to the account because it was a pending item well then they let the unauthorized charge through when I asked for a stop payment and they charged another overdraft again.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I've had an account at Suntrust for 45 years - I also had a shared account with my mother when I was taking care of her. I also had a business account for 29 years. Recently they closed my business account without my permission. The postcard I received in the mail said closed due to inactivity or zero balance -neither of which were true. I called the central office. They apparently had sent me a letter that they needed more info stating I was the owner of my company. I hadn't received one of these notices in all my years banking with them. I did not receive the letter. The terms were if they did not hear back from me within a month (so I was told by the agent on the phone) that my business account would be closed. I was outraged!

They caused my Social Security check to be returned. They caused my life insurance policy premium payment to be rejected as well as other payments! My income is limited and now I will not receive my Social Security check for 2 weeks! Again the postcard notice did not even give me the correct reason for closing my account. When I called the central office the agent did apologize- WOW like that's going to help me pay my bills! This USED to be a good bank. But the past year the service has been poor. The tellers have trouble even making out cashiers checks for me - very slow and I hate to say but incompetent! I would recommend anyone to try any bank other than SunTrust!

Original review: March 28, 2019

Found 16 transaction on my Suntrust check card after traveling to London on business a few weeks back and upon my return I found ~$9k of unauthorized transactions on my debit card. And being a check card, the funds were immediately pulled from the account. I contacted the bank first and they took 13 days to response and did nothing about the fact that all the charges came from the same merchant. They canceled my card and left me stranded in Nashville TN with no means to pay for anything. Didn't care, wasn't their problem even though they let the vendor do 16 transaction without first checking to see if these charges were approved.

I am still working on solving the problem without their assistance that was 13 days late. Don't think Suntrust will protect your money. Don't use their Check Card because the bank has very poor security standards unless it comes to you access the account. Don't give hotel a debit card (that was my mistake). They charged me 4x over as it was the card on file. I wasn't able to even escalate the issue and get any help. Use a different bank... period. Trust my advice!

Suntrust Company Information