Suntrust

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

They NEVER notify me for overdraft and charged me $36 for an overdraft of $5 on the same day it is overdraft. They then emailed me and gave me 5 business days (by the time they emailed me there were only 4 business days left) to move money into my account. I moved $50 into my account, however my money arrived on the 6th business day. They charged me another $36 extended overdraft fee!!!!! They charged me $72 in total for an overdraft of $5!!!

Suntrust has cut out displaying Daily balances, on website. This has got to be the most aggravating way, to do accounting that I have ever experienced. The only total you can see is what is available. I have been with them for 20 years but I will be looking around this year. It's so inconvenient to change. But I am pissed off every time I go into my business account. Someone called me today and asked how do I like Suntrust. "I know you have been banking with them for years." I said "go to a bank that understands your needs." I don't even understand how that can be a legitimate accounting practice.

Worst financial institution that you can deal with. I've opened 2 accounts at the Nashville airport branch, and at the time they had an offer of 250$ with new accounts. I was told that the reward will be deposited into the account within 8 weeks. First, they sent me 2 bad bank cards that I couldn't activate or use, and they have never sent me the checkbook they promised too so it took me a while before I was able to use my money in the account.

Also now it's 6 months later, and I've never gotten the reward, so I called the branch manager who first said they've never had that promotion. Then after trying to convince her that they did she tells me that I didn't even open my account at her branch. Then after convincing her again and arguing for a few minutes she tells me that I didn't get the reward because my account went in negative 7 months after opening the account. So you can probably tell that all their ads are false. Also anything the manager claims is a policy and I ask her which part of the policy, she says this part is usually verbally said but not written so she will claim any policy is their bank policy and tell you that they verbally told you about that policy.

This bank bites. Husband had a stroke in March. Filed POA in May. As of today I've had to go to banking centers 4 times to verify my POA. Have my name AND MY executors name on checks. Yay. Have had to "chat" with customer service 7 times because system only lets me use online 1 time. That would be after getting new sign on from them AFTER verifying again, yes I really am on account. This requires about 30-40 min per "chat" and a supervisor. EACH TIME. Does Suntrust talk to themselves? BTW - to get "chat" go to "new customer". Otherwise, it's MIA. Thank you God, husband finally agreed to close this account!

I went out of town to a hotel on biz, went to a hotel with the biz card, but they also wanted just something with my name on it, so my debit card, I was unaware that they charged the wrong card. Not knowing this because it never showed up on my available balance or current balance, I spent money all through. Even bought a cup of coffee 7-11 for 1.43 that got overdrafted. I have over 400.00 in overdraft fees, that if I only have know this would not happen. Come on, 1.43 plus 30.00 for a cup of coffee!!! People out there beware. They will get the little person. Suntrust I hope you read this, (you suck!). Thanks for taking my grandkid's Christmas away.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Call customer service. Spoke to many people and none seem to know their job. So I question my account because I made a purchase and return the item. The merchant never gave me a receipt ok. So the rep said that I need to contact the merchant. I did got nowhere because they told me to call the bank and I did so so I file a claim and the first claim got denied because they couldn't reach me for question. Really. I gave my phone to call and never heard anything from no one and I call them many of times. So again I had to do a form again this time to see about my money.

But this time I was told from a supervisor that I was sent the wrong form so my claim was denied. Really. But you have my account negative 912.02 this time because of your mistakes and it was so called fixed. Yeah for a little while check it today. It's 879.02. They charge me for items I don't have. Who does that. This is the worst bank I even had in my life plus I don't have a card so how did I made a purchase. I will be closing this account.

I opened a checking and a saving account with Suntrust for my mother. The bank was nickel and diming every transaction so I decided to close the checking acct due to frivolous charges. $3 statement fees, $7 maintenance fee every month. Closed the checking acct in August and they informed me that my check would take 7-10 business days. 2 months later in October I called the bank and they informed me that the check was just sent 4 days ago. I got frustrated and closed the savings account there and then. I received the funds in the savings account in 10 business days as promised but till date have not received the funds from the checking account more than 5 months since the account was closed.

I called them today 12/9/16 and the supervisor was disputing when my acct was closed if it was in July or Aug as if that makes the fact that it taken them 4.5 months to process a check. She claimed the funds were sent in August which was a lie since someone from her bank informed me that they just sent it in October. They now want to send me a form that I will take to a notary to sign for them the resend the check. Mind you they messed up, they have held my funds for the past couple of months, haven't paid any interest and want me now to get a note signed that I haven't received funds that in their system has not been cashed?

Ridiculous worst bank ever. Even banks in the third world are not this horrible. Suntrust bank wins the worst bank in the world award in my. Would not recommend this bank to anybody. They have no business in the banking world. They deserve the less than 1 star rating if it is possible to give them a minus 5 star I would.

I am trying to close out this account because they post transactions in order to produce the most fees possible! I had 2 transactions that I did on 11/30 that would have resulted in my checking account having a balance of $7.70. I was going to wait for my last direct deposit, write myself a check for the balance then close the account. Well I didn't change 2 reoccurring drafts in time so they came out of this account (my bad, I will take the OD fees for these 2). However, Suntrust posted the 2 reoccurring fees first (even though they didn't even show up until the day after my first 2 transactions, so instead of 1 fee I got 4!) If they would have posted them in the order they were done then only 1 fee should have been assessed, maybe 2 but one transaction would have only brought the account negative $2.20. I know I made a mistake but so did they. Difference is that I own up to my mistakes and they do not!

On 11/18 I prepaid for gas inside the station and the payment cleared my account on 11/22. On 11/25, Suntrust charged a "check card adjustment" for $20 because the gas station "requested" another payment since they hadn't received their funds. So my account went into a negative. I was charged an overdraft fee and a threat that if I didnt have it fixed there would be an extended overdraft fee. I spoke with 4 reps and they told me it was an accident on Suntrust for trying to manually input the charge and the funds would come back to my account. After 48 hours I noticed that it wasn't fixed, I called Suntrust and I was then told I would have to call the merchant to find out about the request they made. The merchant stated they never requested any additional funds and they couldn't help me. So Suntrust made a mistake and refuses to fix it but I can dispute the item which can take 10 days. That's ridiculous.

Was constantly being offered a loan through them. To finally fill out the paperwork only to be denied. Have right at or over a 700 beacon. Also was told by managers "get your score up and we will do anything to help you." I am disappointed and only wanted help after doing all I was told to do. I am thinking of pulling my account after all these years. Advice to others. Don't apply for anything with them. They will only pull your credit, call, ask questions and I was honest as what to use it for them to say no.

Julie of Gladstone, MO on Oct. 11, 2016... The exact same thing happened to me. I received 8 notices that "My overdraft protection was approved" and 8 that said my account was closed, all on 11/9/16. Ironically, the account closing was dated 10/31/16, and the ODP notice is dated 11/01/16. Seems legit. So when I called, they asked me for my SS number too. I didn't give it to them. So today I get 5 letters in the mail saying "Due to information obtained during a review of your account, we have determined it is necessary to close your relationship with SunTrust immediately." The wording of the letters seem suspect.

When I called the phone number; the people who answered could barely speak English, and acted in a way that did not seem professional. Especially when they asked for private information in order to help me. Something doesn't add up about this bank, or whatever it is. I notified the credit bureaus, and I think I will notify law enforcement as well.

SunTrust obviously has ongoing security issues (or a real ** IT department or both) as access to accounts is not available way more than most other banking sites. I've never seen a banking site undergo more scheduled maintenance than this one. My advice to SunTrust: If you cannot figure out a way to support online banking like it should be supported, then just throw in the towel and go back to paper ledgers during regular business hours. Expect to lose a lot of your customers though when you revert back to the sixties.

We purchased a home in 2013, and financed the loan through SunTrust Mortgage. One of the conditions of the loan was that the mortgage payment be directly debited each month from a SunTrust bank account. To satisfy this requirement, we opened a SunTrust bank account and set up a direct funds transfer at the end of each month from our other bank to cover the mortgage payment. For over three years, this has been a seamless and fully electronic relationship, which benefits us and also the bank and mortgage company. The funds are transferred at the end of each month and the mortgage company debits the SunTrust account on the tenth of the following month.

Two days ago I received a call from SunTrust Mortgage stating that our October payment was delinquent, as the SunTrust bank account had been closed. Upon investigation, we were informed that the bank closed the account due to the fact we had not been visited the bank or verified our account (what?!), despite the fact that there was activity each month, inbound credit from us and outbound debit from SunTrust Mortgage. At the time of the account closure, the account contained the amount of our monthly mortgage but as the account was closed, the sister SunTrust Mortgage company was unable to collect the payment!

We now need to request a refund, which will take 90 days, open a new account by physically visiting the bank, inform our other bank of the change in monthly ACH account numbers, and make a second monthly mortgage payment this month since our funds will not be released pending some kind of 90 day review. We will be investigating alternatives to this relationship, and would advise anybody considering a bank to AVOID SunTrust.

I was contacted by Suntrust letting me know that my debit card number was used in a another state. My card was frozen by Suntrust. When I tried to get information on the activity, I was given the runaround, transferred from one person to another. The first contact told me that my request for a printout showing where my card number was used assured me that I would get copy of this. When I never received that paperwork, I called back and was told that they did not have any information. I believe that this information should be available, since it is my money.

Active duty personnel BEWARE! We had a mortgage with SunTrust for fifteen years (15) and paid "on time" thru five (5) deployments, thru PCS moves and absentee/evicted tenants only to be reported as delinquent on the very LAST mortgage payment. When closing on the property was delayed by Buyer's lender! We were advised IN WRITING by Suntrust mortgage representative that "August payment was NOT reported" but discovered a 24 point drop in our credit score due to Suntrust report that it was!!! It is a serious infraction of the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act and are contacting an attorney to resolve this matter in court. DO NOT do business with this company!

Worst online banking compared to other banks. Suntrust constantly has a feature unavailable and logging in is almost impossible. 90% of my log in attempts are unsuccessful due to the system not recognizing my log in information and deems it incorrect when it is in fact correct. The mobile app is even worse. I have yet been able to log on using the app. Also compared to other banks, Suntrust does not offer mobile deposits and for limit Suntrust locations in my area, that would of been a great selling feature for me to stay with Suntrust. But with my inability to log on and check the status of my account, I will be leaving Suntrust for another bank.

I received items in the mail from Suntrust in Nashville TN indicating that I had applied for overdraft protection on EIGHT accounts. I DO NOT have any account with Suntrust. There is no Suntrust branch anywhere near where I live. I called the fraud investigations phone number listed on their website and they would not help me unless I provided my social security number. That is ridiculous. They should be able to pull up any accounts in my name. The only account information on the notices that I received was the last 4 digits of these EIGHT accounts. If they can't correlate my name and address and the last 4 digits of acct numbers for their investigation, they have a BIG problem. I am reporting this to the police in my city tomorrow.

My elderly mother's Suntrust account was accessed by crooks who stole her personal information. The crooks were able to trick Suntrust phone support into canceling my mom's credit card and having a new one sent to a fraudulent address. When I noticed unusual activity I immediately notified Suntrust, yet the fraudulent transactions have continued for over 2 weeks. I visited my local Suntrust branch, I have a power of attorney on file with Suntrust for my mom, yet the local branch manager was unwilling to assist me.

As result of Suntrust refusing to help me at my local branch, I had to drive 200 miles and pick up my elderly mom at her assisted living facility and take her to the local Suntrust in her area. As result of having to take my elderly mother to the Suntrust branch, I had to tell my mom about the fraudulent activity on her Suntrust account, which of course upset her greatly. The branch manager at the branch where my mom lives was helpful at first, but has not followed through as she said she would, and has left my mother and I to deal with online support. I would avoid banking at Suntrust bank and deal with a local bank and or credit union where you will get better security, safety and service.

I shopped on Walmart.com and bought things over $500 dollars... Next thing I know I get a fraud alert. What!!! The stupid bank almost froze my account. If I did not call back they would of cancelled my account. What jerks...

Please do not deposit your checks into Suntrust bank. If you do then it's a very good chance that Suntrust will misuse and or abuse your money. In other words you may never see that deposit at all. Who is monitoring these banks to make sure they are not breaking the rules or are they just able to do whatever it is that they want to do and nothing. I mean nothing is being done about it. How is it that they can just steal your money by chewing it up in made up fees and unorthodox charges and no one seems to care. It's just wrong. And it's bad to say that Suntrust is not the only bank and credit union to do this to customers. Wells Fargo, BancorpSouth, Renasant, Members Exchange, Regions, Trustmark, BankPlus to name a few.

All have that same reputation for false promises to consumers just to get their business in order to steal your money. I have had about 800.00 of my money stolen from these crook banks over the past 4 weeks and that was my food, gas and light bill and water bill money. I don't know what I'm going to do for money for the next 2 months. It's ridiculous what we have to go through dealing with these crook banks, there has to be a better way. Suntrust took my whole direct deposit, closed my account and now I owe them money. Where's the justification in this I ask you, please tell me. There isn't any, something just has to change.

I have only been with Suntrust since March and this is by far the worst financial institution I have EVER had!! I opened my account with 6,000 cash but when I deposited my paycheck a week later they decided that it could be fraudulent and froze my entire account. It took them a week to decide that my paycheck was good and unfreeze my account.

Then they are continuously hitting me with overdraft fees which I thought maybe I am just messing something up but nope I'm not. I write everything in my Suntrust issued register (you know the one they give you to keep up with your account). Well I finally caught them!! I used my card on Monday and Tuesday then wrote a car payment check on Friday. Now I had wrote in my register exactly what I had spent and knew what my balance would be (which granted I was scraping pennies) but they waited a week before they took out my debit purchases, they cleared my large check and then hit me with $216.00 in overdraft fees when I have in my Suntrust issued register that I should have only been negative 40.00 plus the 36.00 fee. So that is negative 76.00, Not negative 264.00.

Sandra (the bank lady) says that you cant go by the balance at the ATM or online or apparently by my own register and that I should be more responsible. REALLY!! I wrote down everything like I was supposed to and did what I was supposed to. They are just a bunch of corporate greed ** robbing from the little people!! Don't believe my story? Keep reading the complaints. There are many, many more just like me!! Obviously I switched banks and refuse to pay for their mistake. ** SUNTRUST!! They don't deserve a star.

I realized Suntrust had been charging abhorrently large maintenance fees to my account for years. It began to bother me especially when I realized the fee didn't correspond to any fee schedule they advertised. I mean 20 or so years of using my money, you'd think they would let me know I could do better. So to remedy this, I had to close one account and open another. Everything was supposed to transfer to the new account, cut up the old card. Well that didn't happen. My deposit went to the account I thought was closed, and they charged me twice for a return check fee, even after I went to the branch and told them I didn't want any payments made from that account.

They hadn't linked the new account to online banking, so I couldn't even see it. I come to find out an account stays open for 30 days. It only closes if no one attempts to put a charge on that account. CLOSE THE ACCOUNT! How hard is that? I am moving my business away from ST in the first place because THREE times a scheduled online payment didn't happen. THREE times to the same competitive bank. Go figure. By time three, I knew it wasn't my fault. They of course have no record of it. Then how about this bank representative opening up a line of credit I didn't ask for? SOOO tired of dealing with these people.

I transferred $75 from my savings to my checking account at 11:00 AM which brought my balance to $113. Later that afternoon, I wrote two checks to that totaled $30 and had a debit card purchase of $26. Suntrust charged me a $36 overdraft fee for each of the checks ($72 total) even though I had enough money in the account to cover the purchases. My online statement even shows a positive balance after each check & overdraft fee is applied. I have called Suntrust customer service 5 times and after jumping through hoops to get a person on the phone the call just drops. I don't see how this is legal.

My payroll funds are electronically deposited into my account. The funds are supposed to be available on Thursday. This month my payroll funds were kept in pending status for 24 hours after they should have been available to me. I believe they were holding the funds in pending status so that when I paid my house payment they would hopefully overdraw my account. Their policy states that payroll funds that are electronically received are to be available immediately. I will be checking my account very closely to see if they do this again. Who can I complain to in order have this investigated?

UNBELIEVABLE, Suntrust needs common sense! I was next in line and waited 47 minutes or more at the Suntrust-in store Publix Cosby Station. The teller, Ms. C. ** literally spent over 47 minutes with a man with major banking issues! I'm speechless! Tell him to move on! In all my years of banking I can't believe this employee let this happen with one teller available! Where's the management? Thank God I was helping one of my out of town employees deposit and Thank God I don't bank at Suntrust! They have no sense!

I opened a checking account to have my pay go directly to Suntrust and was promised that after a few months I would receive $100-200 dollars deposited into my account. It didn't happen, so I contacted them and they sent me a message that they did not see any promotional code listed on my account.

I didn't want to open an account with Suntrust, because I refuse to pay for a checking account. The ladies at Suntrust told me they'd waive the fee for a year, so I signed up. They didn't tell me about the paper statement fees. When that fee hit my account, it sent it into the negative. I visited branch closest to me and was treated very poorly. After visiting the downtown branch, I told that it had all been corrected. Five days later, here I sit at Suntrust again, with another overdraft fee because too much time has passed. After I sit here on my lunch break, and close this POS, I'm hitting every review site in existence.

For the second time, Suntrust bank refuses to keep its promise of depositing $150.00 to its first time customers, who open a checking account, along with direct deposit and the use of its bank card for shopping. This is exactly what has happened to me. I complied with all the bank's condition, so that I would receive the above promotional money -- to no avail! The funny part of it is that no one -- either in the branch or the central headquarters wants to acknowledge that there was such a promotion. I am now in the process of retaining an attorney to resolve this issue. The bottom line: No trust in Suntrust!

Check made out to cash on my account was cashed by Suntrust Bank. Suntrust Bank cashed a check payable to cash on my Capital One Checking account. Person who endorsed back of check is scammer. I need address, I only have their Suntrust account number.

On several occasions I have experienced a lack of interest from management of this bank. Don't even think of calling them, you will be treated like a pest or 'disconnected'. Even though I knew I had a more than adequate balance I experienced my debit card being denied. So I called, and was asked if I had called the number on the back of the card. She then changed her mind and said she would connect me with someone who would help me. After 5 minutes on hold, I hung up. I called the number on the back of the card and got to talk to someone who was very mechanical and checked with the "security desk". I was told there was a suspicious attempt at a purchase online, I said "THAT WAS ME".

My AC went out and I was trying to order one thru site to store and made a mistake on the input. Not serious enough to lock my debit card, but you can't communicate this to them. ALL of this could and should have been handled by the tellers but they are not allowed to make customer phone calls a priority. This was not the first time I have had an issue with blocking access to my money or phone calls. The first phone call issue was when I tried to RETURN the call of a teller who was helping me consolidate my credit cards to a Suntrust credit card, but the witch in the back would give her the message.

This mini bank is convenient, but THAT IS ALL. So now I look for another bank, maybe I can find one who isn't so twitchy. I have to give kudos to the tellers, they are the sweetest and most helpful people, but aren't allowed to answer phone calls. The first block on my card was handled without the hassle or insults; handled by a teller. After a full day on the job, having to go back out to go to the bank for a little problems like that cancels out any 'convenience' their location provided.

Suntrust Company Profile