1.18/5
Based on 101 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Suntrust

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 22, 2018

577 Suntrust Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I Made a transaction when my account was positive and then a transaction came through after that trans and made my account negative of 2 dollars. Suntrust charge me 2 overdraft fees because the transaction was still pending when the other transaction went through and they claim they can’t waive it. I will be closing out that account. They don’t have no compassion for their customers and I will be writing to corporate as well.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Every time I turn around they are raising their banking fees, and at the same time I receive less and less support, courtesy and features. I am so sick of big banks screwing everyone and what choice do we have? I transferred money to cover a withdrawal on the same day, and they still charged me an overdraft fee. It was the same day! The CR was not helpful, not pleasant and left me hanging saying the withdrawal came before the deposit, but both were still pending! They are just going to nickel and dime us to death.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Suntrust Bank's phone system is designed to get you to hang up. Ridiculous repetitive menus, extremely difficult long time to get a live person on the phone. Their locations are way understaffed with a skeleton crew who have next to zero authority to do anything much past basic teller functions. Their online banking is designed to confuse and mislead you and results in the highest fees permitted by US banking laws. It’s 2018 but you still can’t see when a check is in on your account until the day after it hits? Their online debit card procedures are designed to trip you up and will result in exorbitant overdraft fees. Again the highest they can legally charge. Not sure if there is anything better out there but going to try a smaller local credit union and go from there. Or switch to Bitcoin, Dash, etc. Anything to get out of the banking system cartel racket!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Suntrust is the worst bank institution a person could get. I have had many issues getting service that's expected of a bank. Account history of previous year as of this month (Feb 2018). Claims handling when in person. Lazy employees who don't fulfill the requested account type, repeatedly. (Opened as a non overdraft - ad to fix it when I got unexpected locked out & stranded, so I came in while on the clock 1099.) Lack of ATM only card for seamless access. I was locked out debit unexpectedly while working on the road - stranded. (Due 2 suspended activity.) *UPDATE AS I TYPE THIS: "(The feedback) service currently unavailable". Please tell everyone these issues & get the word out so they'll fix or close.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Something as simple as paying off an auto loan is like a work from God. I have never had such a hard time trying to get one document before. Nobody in Customer service knows how to handle the easiest task like send a fax with the correct phone number. I'm trying to get rid of this bank and they will not let me. Payment history should be a click of a button to hand over but they want you to wait 7-10 business days for a piece of paper. Hate this bank and I swear I will never do any business with them. The worst bank EVER!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I have been on the phone all day for their mortgage dept. After waiting each time on hold for at least 20 min., no one can help. NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS. When you speak with the computer dept., he can't help and there is no one else to talk to ie; system doesn't work for sending mortgage emails. With all problems, I went to branch to make mortgage payment and the teller system does not match the payment amount as the online system I use so he put too much towards payment and not enough towards extra principal. Absolutely horrible.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

This is the very worst bank I have ever dealt with... Account was close but they still kept charging overdraft fees at 36.00 every 2 days... Said I could not now close the account until I pay them 280.00 in fees... HIGHWAY ROBBERY. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. After I told them for the last 3 times close this account they return a total 36.00. That’s how I ended up now paying 280.00!!! Will be closing all my accounts with them RIGHT NOW...

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Omg...where do I begin? I only had my account for less than 2 weeks. I was sold on the no money to open deal. I just needed an account to get my VA benefits direct deposited on the first of the month. I also had a PayPal balance that I wanted to add the funds to my SunTrust account. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER. I tried to link my PayPal and even verified it through them. The next morning I tried to login to check my balance and it told me my account was restricted. I called the bank to see why and was informed my account had been closed via SunTrust rules and regulations. I was livid. Why is an account that has never even been used closed? I was told to go to the nearest branch to verify my info but that was completely out of the question since the nearest branch to me is over 200 miles away.

The next day I receive an email stating that the reason my account was closed was because of a PayPal deposit of 3 cent and it was deemed suspicious activity and alerted the fraud department. So now thanks to this idiotic bank and their half-brained regulations I will not receive my paycheck for another 28 days and now me and my children and wife will soon be homeless. Thanks SunTrust for screwing our lives up. DO NOT BANK WITH SUNTRUST!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

My trust and faith in the bank system has been tested and broken. I hold Suntrust at fault. From the very beginning when I reported this matter. I said to myself Suntrust will do right because I’ve done right by them. They will be able to see that the mobile app was not from any of our devices. They will compare the signatures on the back of the check. Someone from the fraud department will do their due diligence to ensure this will be corrected. There’s no way Suntrust will fault us for this. But my fear became true yesterday.

After receiving the call to be notified Suntrust is not reversing the claims and there standing by their decision felt like I received a call being notified that some close to me had died. They allowed someone to mobile deposit 5000 worth of checks and now refuse to honor the claims. I was heartbroken like being wrongly accused for a crime I didn’t commit. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I want to cry I felt so helpless. All I could say is could you do this to us.

Again if your company allow someone to log in and do a mobile deposit with no security measure then this is the banks fault not our and because I can’t go enjoy my trip and for ruining my entire month of January I’m asking for compensation. If you had give us a provisionary credit, reverse the charges and continue your investigation but let us live in peace then it would not have had to come to this. We have not received one piece of evidence laying out how this investigation took place. The only conclusions as to why you're not pay is because it was a mobile deposit.

The only thing we have received was phones calls from smart mouth representative. My question is where was the mobile log in from? What state? When they log in and got the security message about an unrecognizable device because (they had to) or did they call the number that’s listed at the bottom? Who received the call? What was said? I want the recording pulled? Or did they put in a code? Where was the code sent to the email on the account or the phone? What email or phone was it sent too? Did you compare the signatures to my fiancé signature?

I want to know how this investigation was conducted and concluded because it was a mobile deposit will not fly. I want a full explanation as to how with security measures for electronics devices was this done? If the security device measures was not put up to stop the thieves from breaking into our account and depositing not once but 3 times? I want to know why was it not set up on this account but for my other accounts. I want to know how do I suppose to feel safe now knowing Suntrust does not have safe barriers to stop someone from stealing mobile log in and going into your account. I want to know who’s all be in contact with that account that works at Suntrust because it seems to me it someone who works at the bank and this was an inside job.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I don't write reviews, I do read them... I want to allow people to read my experience and make a decision in part of. I will first say, Do NOT TRUST SUNTRUST! They will make certain to convince you to trust them. They will reassure you of your concerns. They will not hold up terms of your Trust documents. They will ignore the beneficiaries trust documents and Pour over Wills! The account manager will accept all pertinent documents, but will not use them to your benefit. They will not protect beneficiaries. They will not provide you with accountings needed. Forget about a final accounting! They will pawn your Trust onto lawyers to avoid fault. These people do very well at covering their mistakes, and fire their employees immediately after a questionable act takes place. They will not correct their misdeeds! Beware of Suntrust!! They are in the business of money... not people and legality!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I wanted to change banks so that I could have both of my direct deposits going to the same bank. My payroll and my VA disability. I went online and got an account from Suntrust. I then went into the branch and deposited around 300 to open the account. I received my card and started checks in the mail a little while longer. I changed both of my direct deposits to Suntrust. All of a sudden one Saturday morning I could not log into my online account. I had to go to the branch and get them to verify me. That took over an hour because they had to call the fraud dept. They said I had logged onto too many devices. My home computer and my phone. Both on the same network mind you. They got it taken care of. Then we went out to get breakfast. I tried to pay the bill and my card was declined. I spend 30 minutes on hold then got through to someone that could barely speak English and they verified some transactions with me.

Then they said they unlocked my card. Well that didn't happen. Fast forward another hour. I had called them back and stayed on hold quite a while. Thankfully the manager of the restaurant was nice enough to allow this to go on. They said the other person forgot to ask for the expiration of the card. Could they not have called me back??? SO paid for the meal and went shopping with my family. Then the next day I could not log onto my online account again. This time the site itself would fail once put in my credentials. I thought maybe the site was down and didn't pay any mind to it. Then the next day it was still going on. I tried to buy a soda at work and the card was declined. I called and they said my account was in the process of being closed and all my funds were frozen.

Keep in mind I had just paid my 1800 for rent a few days before. They told me that it would be returned. I was in panic mode as I did not want a negative mark on paying rent. We had just moved about two months ago. They said they could not tell me why as it was confidential. That I would receive a letter soon in the mail. I asked when my funds would be released as I had nothing. They had all of my money for the next two weeks. I could not buy groceries, pay rent or get gas to drive to work. Thankfully my church helped me with rent and one of my credit cards had enough to put gas in our cars. I took a day off to figure it out. I finally got a call back from their customer service that literally asked me if I had any questions about my account. I asked why did they close it. She stated that they could not tell me that I would receive a letter.

After getting gruff with her and asking why she bothered to call me she told me that they had found something with the account after it was opened. I asked what and again was told they could not tell me. Keep in mind this whole time no one called me or emailed to inform me this was going to happen. I have been without money for over a week now! I still have yet to receive a letter or the promised check with my money. As far as I can tell they had no right to close the account without warning me. I believe it was illegal. They have hurt my family badly and plan to take legal action if I can against them. Do not use this bank for any reason. They are fraudulent and they do not care about their customers. At least they could have called and said, "You have until close of business today to get your money out". Nothing like that. They held all my money. Dishonest!!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Due to underemployment, we fell a little behind on our bills. On January 2, 2018, we were 32 days behind on our Suntrust car loan. They repo'd the car without notice for being only 32 days late. They wanted a fee of $450 to recover in addition to making it current. We are getting paid a lump sum in a couple weeks and all bills will be current. How can a bank repo a car that is not seriously late and without warning? The car is worth $5K less than the loan, so they can have it, but I want them exposed to the press, the media and their customers for their atrocious customer service. Don't EVER take a car loan out with Suntrust.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I pay every bill on time every month. After paying SunTrust... One day they said, "Would you like to take care of your $600 late fee on your auto loan?!" I said, "What are you talking about..." They said they didn't know but to call their 1-800 number. I was told that I was paying my monthly car note less 2 cents each month! They had a computer glitch they finally owned up to at one point. Other times they said, "You REALLY need to pay your extra 2 cents each month!" I said, "You have my bank info on file... I come in and tell you I'm here to pay my bill..." They said, "Well you never told us how much to pay!?" Of course half of my receipts have no balance, or payment, or date on them. Their website is always down so you cannot view your balance.

I have paid them 2 more car notes and my balance increases!!! I wrote the State of Florida to no avail. SunBank calls me from collections and have had my credit score drop because of their nonsense. My wife was a CPA with them and was paid $24,000 a year. I guess we have to deal with minimum wage idiots who don't have the authority nor the competence to be able to resolve an issue they created. Am I forced to pay them an extra $600 because their computer forgot to take out an extra 2 pennies on my car loan for the past x amount of months and making it retro? Their branch manager had the authority to waive $30 dollars... Whoopeee!!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Suntrust gets 1 star for one reason, personnel. The in-branch personnel are amazing or at least they used to be. The last 5 times I've called I have been answered by a foreigner I can understand and unless you get a veteran representative you cannot get a single action done. I will transition this notion into my first complaint.

Account set up and errors. I had a business account and a personal account with suntrust for a number of years out of convenience. However, I came to find out the credit cards for the bank are offloaded to a third party, resulting in no ability to make changes to the credit card account by the bank. Now, this should not be a problem if you don't need to shift your accounts, but when multiple account are set up incorrectly and linked it results in a major dilemma. My business credit card and personal credit card ended up linked to the same account and my checking accounts were linked to another account. Any business owner knows these two accounts should not co-exist. When I brought this to the company's attention they merely said we can't do anything about it.

Next, I would like to discus their overdraft policies, any overdraft over $5 results in a $36 overdraft fee. With many times no notice until 4 days later. When you try to dispute a transaction it's met by a bunch of lip and policy, and many times a foreigner who doesn't care about the consumer. In the rare instance you do get a representative who can help they are met by various policies which depending on the representative you get, you may get 3 drafts back, but I caution the consumer, because rarely do we realize the overdraft and the consumer tends to make a few more purchases (or automatic purchases) before catching their error or situation. Additionally, an automatic charge in error or fraud will still result in continued overdrafts in addition to the extender overdraft if you can't bring the account even in 5 days.

I was able to bear the account mishap which was resolved after 2 years of trying. However, needless to say they lost my business when the company tried to explain their overdraft procedures and charges $144 due to a pending charge which 4 different representative gave me different answers to. 1st rep: I called as soon as I learned an automatic charge had tried to be taken and was not approved. Representative in nicer language said "due to policy, to bad." Also had a very thick foreign tongue I could not understand. 1st rep's manager: Informed me that with proof of the refund I would be refunded the 3 overdrafts that ensued.

2nd rep: Called as soon as I learned the pending unproved amount processed and overdrafted me again. Representative in nicer language said "due to policy, too bad." Also had a very thick foreign tongue, which I very quickly relayed away from and to a manager. 2nd rep's manager: Informed me that I was not covered for the first three overdrafts and that the only overdraft she would be able to help with was the fraudulent action which started this chain of overdrafts. Meaning if this transaction stands I will only be refunded $36 of the $144 that was taken.

I left Bank of America for less than this. Suntrust needs to take a strong look at their leadership and their emphasis on the consumer. The consumer interaction was the original reason I stayed. But, after my recent experience they have lost my business. A company should not have the power to stop a consumer when the consumer tries to make right. If the consumer tries to make right, let them, hold transactions, provide a grace period.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Where do I begin! Since jump street with this horrific bank, it's been a terrible experience. For starters, I had a fraudulent charge and it took them a month to investigate and get my money back. I'm a single mother who lives on a tight budget. Another time, I ordered checks through their auto direct check order system and the account number was wrong and I was writing checks to pay bills with the wrong account number. I also used their mobile deposit app to deposit a check and when I paid some bills, then, I was charged overdrafts because the check never appeared. I called them and was told I never made the deposit and was lying that I even attempted to deposit the check. Who would stop themselves from depositing money?!

The icing on the cake was when I deposited my paycheck that I have deposited into my checking for the past 5 years, they decided to place a hold on it on 12/23/17... I was unable to buy my 8 year old daughter Christmas gifts. I called them hysterically sobbing and I was told that they will not un-lift the hold until the 27th and the woman on the phone did not seem to care and couldn't give me a valid reason why the hold was even placed on my paycheck! As soon as this hold is off, I'm closing the account. WORST BANK EVER!!!

Updated on 02/20/2018: Once again Suntrust dropped the ball and placed another hold on my pay-roll check. The same check that I have received for the past five years... same amount, same two-week duration, and same employer. I called and was told that they do not have a valid answer to my question when I asked why there is a hold and need to verify funds??!! I'm beyond sick of this. The last time this happened was 2 days before Christmas 2017. As a single mother who struggles on her own to put food on the table for my 8 yr old child should not have to endure this nonsense. It's MY MONEY and I earned it by working very hard and should be able to access MY MONEY to pay bills. Now that bills are on an auto direct pay from my bank account, the amount builds up and so does the overdraft fees which will eat up my entire pay-check... I'm sick to my stomach and very upset.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

My mother passed away June 27, 2017, barely a year after losing my father and I am the sole child and beneficiary. I went to Suntrust (where she held an account) to see what I needed to do; my probate lawyer simply had asked for bank balances but gave me no guidance on what should happen with the accounts. Unbeknownst to me, they were supposed to freeze the account (at the very least) during probate. They did not and all the feedback I was given at the bank was, "Come back with you have a letter of administration."

I did, even though the closest branch to me is over 4 hours away, and the branch manager comes in stating I needed to immediately open an estate account, funnel what was left in Mom's checking into it, and if I didn't do this correctly that I could go to jail. He scared me to death; I was already out of my mind with grief and highly influenced by his scare tactics to coerce me to open an account. He also muttered the Muslim woman banker that had been helping me previously was a "terrorist". Unprofessional doesn't cover it.

I called my probate lawyer once I had settled down, realizing how inappropriate that whole interaction had been and they called him; he was offering me "legal advice" inappropriately and using scare tactics to open new accounts. Now, I am stuck with an estate account with a bank I cannot easily physically visit easily. I recently mailed a 7200.00 check to be deposited to pay estate bills from the account to track for tax purposes. I can't pay bills safely because I can't check the balance online or via mobile (different rules for estate accounts, I was told) and after answering a security question wrong on the phone, they won't even speak to me anymore (I answered with the last 4 digits of my social and not my mother's.) I assumed that was the set they were looking for since I am the personal rep of the account.

So, I have no idea if this check has cleared or if I have access to the funds yet. I will be flying to Atlanta in 2 weeks and will take that opportunity of being on the mainland (I live on an island) to physically visit a Suntrust branch, close the account, and sever all ties with them. This is easily one of the WORST banking experiences of my entire life and they are clearly a predatory bank. The behavior of the local branch (with the exception of one lovely banker who needs to find a better place to work) and corporate on the phone is deplorable.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I wouldn't say that Suntrust is exactly greasy, but they are overly "protective" of people's accounts. Seems like someone in the fraud department had nothing better to do a few weeks ago. They locked me out of my online account access for no reason at all except for "frequent banking from different devices," which I've done all along because of the spotty Wi-Fi where I live. They put me through something very upsetting, and I just didn't appreciate the whole experience. I ended up closing my accounts because I was so distraught that day. They then sent me a card a few days later letting me know that I could basically change my mind about closing the accounts, so I did.

I called them back and asked them to reopen one of the accounts, and they told me that it "wasn't able to be reopened." Now mind you, this was only about seven days after I closed it, if that, and they had already humiliated me and verified my identity before I closed it. I could not make it into a branch because my vehicle was literally disassembled, and the nearest branch was 15 miles away. I just wanted them to reopen the account so that I could send money to it electronically and continue to use it to pay bills. They didn't want to give me back my old account over the phone, but they were perfectly fine with me opening a "new account" over the phone. What? I didn't want a new account. I just wanted the same account that I had. I felt that someone over there could have flipped the switch and reactivated my account, especially since its closure was THEIR fault for treating me like I had done something wrong.

You know, I know that some places do things to try to protect their customers, but to me, this was just a case of ridiculousness. I still didn't get my $2 check either. I got one of the "account closure" cards, but not the check. My address hasn't changed in two years. To whom did they send the check? I'll give it a few more days, but I think it should have been here by now. When I finally do put my car back together, I won't be going to Suntrust for a "new" bank account, but I might just take my passport and driver's license up to the Bluffton branch (again) just to show them that what they did was wrong. This was really poor customer service. REALLY poor handling of a customer.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I had to call them each time I received my children's quarterly statements. They charged fees after fees until my daughter had no money left then they closed the account. This was the same thing they did to my son 6 years prior and I had to call them each statement period until someone finally got it right. I thought it was an isolated issue so I opened an account for my daughter and then lo and behold, the same nonsense started.

Except this time, I called them only 2 quarterly statement period and assumed they got their acts straight. Worst of all, they don't even own up to their mistakes and acted like they were doing me a favor by returning my daughter's money when in fact they robbed my 9 year old. Jay, from the Grayson Georgia branch had the nerve to tell me that he has the money in cash and therefore I should either pick it up on Friday since he closes at 6 or Saturday since he will be there till 12. He gave me 2 days to go there and pick up the money. Or ELSE! As if I'm sitting at home doing basically nothing. I'm very disappointed in this bank. I should have read the reviews before putting my children through this mess!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

When using the online banking site to check my account, I am unable to get beyond the ads and move from one place to another. I usually just give up after several attempts and close it out to return another day and get frustrated then. At our local bank the personnel is very helpful and pleasant.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

A look-alike website sold me theater tickets that were supposed to be at Will Call at the venue and were not. Other people there in line with me were similarly scammed by the same vendor. I called that vendor and was told the tickets were mailed to my home. They never showed up there. I described the situation in detail to Suntrust's fraud department and sent copies of the receipt as well as copies of the genuine tickets that I had to purchase at the venue. Suntrust ignored what I sent and requested the same information again. Calling Suntrust was pointless. After 30 minutes on hold, the woman I reached kept reading their letter to me even though she admitted she had the information they were requesting there already in her records. Totally disgusted. Will present to my branch manager tomorrow and close my accounts there.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Had a car loan with Suntrust... Made every payment for 6yrs. When the last payment was due, I waited on the payoff amount. In the meantime I made another regular payment. Suntrust said payment was late since it wasn't payoff amount in total which they had never told me the amount. I immediately paid the remainder balance but Suntrust Reported me to the credit bureau and hit my credit with 100 point drop. I made six year worth of payment and they would not show any leniency on a final payment even though it was their screw up. This credit hit has cost me money across the board and is just a complete racket trying to deal with the credit agency to plead my case and trying to deal with Suntrust is a joke. It's a buzzard bank that no one should ever use.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

As me and my family were traveling, SunTrust decide to close my account without me knowing. After numerous calls to SunTrust that weekend they couldn’t give me an answer or would let me access my funds of 11k. They said until Monday I couldn’t get answers. So for 2 days in another state me my pregnant wife and my 1 year old toddler had to sleep in my car. This will be brought to light and I will not stop until I get answers.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I recently moved to Pensacola FL. I switched banks from Louisville KY. I'm on a fixed income. I had 1 check overdraft then here comes the storm. This is the worse bank in existence. I have direct deposit and I understand a returned check fee but what they do is whatever your overdraft is they pull out that amount make it appear on your statements that you're caught up with them directly taking all fees from your direct deposit.

But this is not true. I called customer service, I physically went in and had online banking (which is not in real time) all 3 said I'm caught up. SunTrust doesn't pay the check out if your money but takes the amount to make it seems like they have so you have a false sense of security. When you finally catch on it's outta control. Overdraft is a 58 BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY and they care about no one. I owe them and have gotten 5 letters of returned checks from different people. They took the money out of my account but never paid. This place is Satan. Shame on you SunTrust.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Is anyone encountering variations in their checking balance vs. the bank's balance? Mine has been varying by a dollar or two until this month's statement which shows a noticeable difference in the bank's favor. I have gone through triple blind, line item verifying of checkbook balance vs. bank daily balance online and find a nominal difference (<$2.00) and nothing else to explain their difference. I have no overdraft charges or charges/fees of any kind and no fourth method to do the simple math. Something is wrong but it's hard to believe a bank could be this amateurish and I can't find any mistake or another approach to follow. Anyone else have concerns or experience with this. I wish it was just my math but three idiot-proof reviews explains nothing to me.

I had a problem with this bank while depositing a bank certified check which they insisted must be held one week before funds were available. I forced the manager to call the issuing bank directly in my presence and then explain why they were holding my money. The mgr. stammered a bit, I insisted, he called the bank. Within 2 minutes he finished his conversation and cleared my funds entirely. Washington Mutual attempted the same delay on a certified check when I sold my home. I threatened to contact the Dept. of Savings & Thrifts in the state where they were chartered if all money wasn't transferred by the following morning. All money was in my new account by 9:00 the next morning, Washington Mutual failed within a week, my money would have gone with it.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Opened a bank account with Suntrust and they've already caused me nothing but hell. First, they mail my card to the bank instead of my home. As I went to go pick up my debit card from the bank, they tell me they've thrown it out and called me since it was sitting there for two weeks. I never received ANY phone calls nor any emails. Next, I return an item online that I had purchased with my debit card, and they completely close my account saying its under investigation... seriously? Because of a $27.62 return!!! This bank is ridiculous, discourteous and extremely unprofessional.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I opened up a new account completely online with transferring funds from my main bank of business and that process generally takes 3 takes with any bank. I opened up an account with Suntrust due to the ease of being able to open the account completely online with not wasting my work time going into the bank and signing paperwork. What I neglected read very carefully and completely was the "fine print". I mobile deposited my first payroll check from my second job the night I got my check. When initially signing up, their paperwork that you can clearly states says that checks can typically be posted up to one full business day. However, what they do not clearly state is that you must be an established account holder to have this happened.

The check was under $500 and I deposited it in my account on November 21, and I found out the funds won't be available until November 30th. I am livid. I can understand if it's a check that might be fake or a personal check from another individual, but a payroll check? This company doesn't offer direct deposit, or I would have had no problems withdrawing my money the next day. Keep in mind, if you must deposit a check into a newly set up account, please keep in mind that you won't be able to touch that money until 7 days later. I would have been better off getting it cashed at one bank or at Kroger or Walmart and depositing. May be out $3, but at least I would had my money immediately like I need it now rather than having to wait 7 days.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Opened a checking and savings account online in September. Everything was going great, great service, easy deposits and never had an overdraft. I began receiving unemployment from Texas. My first payment was sent in the form of a treasury warrant because they had not verified my account before my first payment. I mobile deposited my the treasury warrant on 11/13/17 and was completely shut out of my account, debit card being declined on 11/14/17 with all funds frozen. Please note I had plenty of funds available even before this mobile deposit. I called the number and all I was being told was I violated rules and they were eliminating ties with me.

Next morning I went into a local branch because I still was unsure what happened. The woman at the branch made a call and really told me they had a hold on my account until the mobile deposit cleared then they would review and start the closing process but could not tell me when I would have my money or why my account was frozen. I never keep cash so I had no money and was told I could not touch the funds in my account and would just have to wait. Please note I had holiday plans and Thanksgiving is days away but I can’t access my funds. I go into a different branch on 11/17 because I received a letter stating the bank had a tip that the State of Texas treasury warrant was counterfeit. The guy at this branch was very helpful but still couldn't get any info.

The bank told me I needed to find out how they could verify the warrant and to let them know. I spent hours on the phone and found the exact number to call and verify the treasury warrant and gave it to the bank. An hour later the bank called and said they need something in writing stating it was a treasury warrant from Texas so they could keep it on file. I guess the actually treasury warrant I brought in (the one mobile deposited) was not proof enough for them. At the end of the day nothing had been taken care of even after 6 people from the State of Texas spoke with the various people from the bank. Here we are 11/21/17 and I call the exact verification number I gave the bank to call to verify the warrant.

It was a simple call to verify and I spoke with a very friendly woman who knew the fiasco I had been through last week. Funny thing is I found out the treasury warrant was paid and funds transferred to Suntrust Bank on 11/14/17 the same day they froze my account. This was the biggest crock of bull I have ever had to deal with. They froze my account and now closed my account leaving me waiting for a check from them right for NO REASON at all.

The treasury warrant they claimed was counterfeit was paid before they even started any of this. They have definitely made things very difficult for me just before Thanksgiving and because of their mistake, I’ve been punished and will be spending the holidays alone because I can’t travel home. Also since they locked me out of my account, I’m not exactly sure how much money I had in my checking account so I’m not sure they will send me everything that is owed to me. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS BANK, THEY ARE AS CROOKED AS THEY COME! SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF TROUBLE AND STAY AWAY!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I just checked my account and seen I had $100 of overdraft charges on my account. I added and readded and the amount of money I had in my account was enough to cover my charges. My account jumped from having a positive amount to negative with 3 overdraft fees which I should never have been charged. The amounts totally don't add up and doesn't even make any sense at all. Thank God I was able to take photo shots with my 2nd phone to have my proof. Praying they will correct this error. I also sent order out at bank for checks 2 months ago twice and still have not received them. The only overdraft I should have is for a $40 ATM withdrawal. I should have had $4.55 in my account leaving me in negative $35.45.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

SunTrust Bank is the worst bank and has illegal and unethical practices. Several different times I have been charged overdraft fees when money is available in my account. After admitting fault, they reversed the charges however the most recent time SunTrust refused to give me the overdraft money back when it clearly showed funds available. I am actually trying to find an attorney that specializes in consumer fraud that is willing to go against this unscrupulous company in arbitration. Their practices are ridiculous!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have kept a savings and a checking account with Suntrust for almost 4 years. About a month ago, I applied for a small personal loan and was denied. So I applied with a couple different banks and was approved both times. My credit score is over 700 and I have no bankruptcies on my record. Not sure why I'm being denied. Also, Suntrust's business hours in my town aren't convenient. Open from 9 to 4 Mon - Thurs and 9 to 6 on Fri. Closed Sat and Sun. How do they expect working people to do their banking during those times?

Suntrust Company Information

303 Peachtreet St, N.E.
Atlanta
GA
www.suntrust.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use