Formerly SunTrust

Author picture
Written by Sarah Goldy-Brown
Edited by Shawn Richardson

About Truist

Truist Bank is the result of a 2019 merger of BB&T (Branch Banking and Trust Company) and SunTrust Banks. It has branches in many communities as well as a mobile app and online banking. Truist’s services include checking and savings accounts, insurance, credit cards, personal loans, mortgages and retirement services.

Pros

• More than 2,100 branches
  • Free checking for students
  • No overdraft fees
  • Convenient mobile banking

Cons

• $2.50 or $3 fee at non-Truist ATMs
  • Doesn’t have physical locations in every state

Bottom Line

Truist offers bank accounts, investment services, personal loans, mortgages and credit cards. It has more than 3,000 ATMs and 2,100 branches in 17 states and Washington, D.C. Clients can easily avoid account maintenance fees.

Top Truist Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My credit profile has been bad until the last two years. I did improve my situation. ... I moved to Florida back in March 2021 and bought the house I was renting in October 2021. ...

Verified

Shaquille from the contact center was very informative and polite! He helped me through a scary fraud situation with exemplary professionalism. Dyesel however was very frustrated ...

What is Truist?

In 2019, BB&T Corporation merged with SunTrust Banks, Inc., to create Truist. Truist provides banking, investment, financing and mortgage services at more than 2,100 locations in 17 states and Washington, D.C. Truist’s mobile app and online banking platform give customers the ability to access and monitor their accounts from anywhere. Simple ways to waive monthly fees and no overdraft fees on checking accounts make banking with Truist free for many customers, especially students.

Truist services

Truist offers multiple products and services, including checking accounts, savings accounts, credit cards, loans, mortgages, investing/retirement accounts and insurance.

Truist offers Truist One Checking accounts with no overdraft fees, a $100 negative balance buffer and increased rewards from select Truist credit cards. Truist One Checking has a $12 monthly maintenance fee, but there are five ways to waive the fee. There are also five different levels of Truist One Checking accounts, depending on your total monthly average balance. Truist checking account benefits increase as your balance grows.
Truist has two savings account options: Truist One Savings and the Truist One Money Market Account. Truist also has certificates of deposit, which require a $1,000 account minimum. Truist offers terms of seven days to 60 months for CDs.
Truist offers several loan types, including mortgages, home equity lines of credit (HELOCs), personal loans, auto loans and boat and RV loans. For personal loans, Truist often makes decisions in under 15 minutes and may make money available to you the same day you apply. The bank also offers a special physician line of credit of up to $100,000 that’s designed to help interns, residents, fellows and board-certified physicians manage unexpected or everyday expenses.
Truist’s line of Visa credit cards includes the Enjoy Cash credit card, the Enjoy Travel credit card, the Future credit card, the Enjoy Beyond credit card and the Enjoy Cash secured credit card. Most cards earn cash back or airline miles on eligible purchases. Standard APRs vary from 13.49% to 24.49% at the time of publishing.
Truist is part of Truist Insurance Holdings. Truist’s insurance partners include McGriff, Truist Life Insurance Services and BridgeTrust Title Group. Insurance products include property and asset insurance; life, long-term care and disability insurance; additional coverage such as hospital recuperative care insurance or accidental death and dismemberment insurance; and real estate title and settlement insurance.

Truist offers three different investment and retirement planning services based on your financial situation. You must invest at least $5,000 to use Truist’s investing services.

Truist Invest is a robo-advisor with an algorithm that analyzes your portfolios daily and rebalances them when necessary. Users can monitor portfolios on demand. The Client Advisory Center gives clients with at least $50,000 to invest access to a team of advisors. Clients who invest $250,000 or more receive one-on-one support from a financial advisor, a personalized investment plan and regular progress monitoring.

Truist fees

Truist’s monthly maintenance fee for a Truist One checking account is $12, but maintenance fees are waived for students under the age of 25, account holders with other Truist products and account holders who meet certain direct deposit and balance minimums. There is also a $3 charge for a paper statement, but you can elect for paperless online e-statements. The bank doesn’t charge fees for CDs.

• Truist savings account fees: Truist One Savings accounts have a $5 monthly maintenance fee. The fee is waived for account holders who are under the age of 18, who schedule recurring transfers each statement cycle, who have a Truist checking product or who maintain a minimum balance.
  • Truist money market account fees: The account has a $12 monthly maintenance fee, but it is waived for account holders who maintain a minimum daily ledger balance of $1,000 or more.
  • Truist overdraft fee: Truist’s checking account and Confidence account do not have overdraft fees.
  • Truist ATM fee: ATM fees are $0 for Truist customers when they use Truist ATMs. Truist charges $3 per transaction at non-Truist ATMs in the U.S.
  • Truist foreign transaction fee: Truist charges $5 per transaction at non-Truist ATMs outside the U.S. Truist also charges a 3% international point-of-sale and ATM assessment fee per transaction.

Truist FAQ

Does Truist let you overdraft?

Truist offers two bank account products with no overdraft fees. The Truist One Banking checking account does not charge overdraft fees and supplies up to a $100 negative balance buffer. The Confidence account does not let users make overdrafts.

Does Truist offer free checking?

Truist checking accounts have a monthly maintenance fee of $12, but it can be waived in five different ways. Truist waives fees for students under the age of 25, clients with a Truist credit card, small business checking accounts, mortgage or consumer loans and account holders who meet direct deposit or account balance minimums.

Who owns Truist bank?

In 2019, BB&T (Branch Banking and Trust Company) merged with SunTrust Banks to become Truist Financial Corporation.

Where is Truist available?

Truist is a large bank with 2,100 branches in 17 states and Washington, D.C. Its physical branches are located in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Is Truist a good bank?

Truist offers a number of products and services to meet your financial needs, such as credit cards, checking and savings accounts, personal insurance and loans. New checking accounts from Truist eliminate overdraft fees and make it easy to waive a monthly maintenance fee. However, interest rates on savings accounts and CDs are low compared with what other banks offer.

Unique products like no-fee student checking and a physician line of credit make Truist a potentially ideal option for students and physicians. Overall, Truist’s offerings allow customers flexibility in how they handle their finances.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truist?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

1-Star review because there is no 0-star option. My SunTrust auto loan (serviced by BB&T) was transferred to Truist when there were about 5 payments remaining. All preceding payments were made to SunTrust (via BB&T) by auto-withdrawal. Truist chose to modify my loan contract by converting the final payment (payment 48 of 48) to pay-by-stub. I had no idea Truist was my loan servicer as I never received any correspondence from them, including the one that explained the payment change. It turns our Truist was sending all correspondence to the wrong address (my old address). When I moved, I had provided SunTrust with my address change that evidently never made it to BB&T who was servicing the auto loan, and where Truist got their incorrect address information.

When my final payment was not received iaw the new payment method, Truist made absolutely no attempt to directly contact me and sent me straight to BB&T collections instead (who called me and collected both the payment and my new address). BB&T Collections used my new address for correspondence, but Truist did not, despite now having it on record.

I have a 100-point hit to my FICO credit score that will last for 7 years. Multiple requests to Truist for relief and specific complaints went mostly ignored over a 6-month period. I provided Truist with my change of address 6 times during this period but despite that, they continued to mail all correspondence to the wrong address. They responded to my CFPB complaint with a polite...tuff ** letter, stating that they mailed me a notice of payment type change (to the wrong address) therefore everything was on me after that. They had sent me the same letter a few weeks earlier, which prompted me to notify CFPB. Also, I did not receive my loan payoff letter for 6 months and I never received my title. Truist refused to use the mailing address on file at the DMV and demanded that the DMV send the title to the wrong address. The DMV revealed this when I went there to get my title.

Beyond this auto loan payment event, I have experienced joint SunTrust/BB&T, 1 credit card, 4 debit cards, and 2 check books all mailed to the wrong address due to a complete failure of the BBT and SunTrust systems to talk to each other. I applied for the new accounts AT A SUNTRUST location with my new address included on all applications, yet the products were mailed to the old BB&T address of record instead. PLUS, each month I currently receive Truist "Important Notices" mailed to someone else, at my home address (and NO, she never lived at this address). The merger and transition involving BBT, SunTrust, and Truist systems is a calamity that did not have to happen the way it did. It was a self-induced, self-inflicted wound with customers paying the price for their malfeasance. I cannot be the only loan customer to be treated like this by Truist, SunTrust, BB&T.

Resolution response: Aug. 27, 2022

I was able to find time to go into the bank. Their system was down but received call back resolving the problem.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

I have an account with this bank only for my car payment. I had several debit cards (that I did not request) sent out to me that I never received. But apparently someone else had. My account is strictly to pay the car. First fraudulent transactions I caught were 5,10 dollar small amounts. Luckily enough I caught that ahead of time and was refunded the money.

Now after two years having this account. I open the app to add a check to pay for car payment that’s automatically withdrawn each month. I see there’s again another fraudulent activity. 100$ pending transaction from a debit card. I keep a minimum balance in this account. I bank with another bank for years. I can’t wait to make the last few payments and get away from this bank. This has happened multiple times. It’s time consuming and stressful. I do not recommend banking with them.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

I tried to report fraud but they wouldn't without suspending my account which I could not do until I could go in and get a temporary card and of course there was help inside the bank so I told the person on the phone that I could not get a new card yet so she said she would not report the fraud. So I said fine, I will go in the branch again in a few days. I go to use my debit card a few minutes later and it's declined. I go call back and they have no idea why.

I go in the bank and it's because it's been reported for fraud. Even though they will not remove the charges and I had just told her not to stop my card. So the teller turns the card back on because there is still no one there that can assist me with a temporary card and report the fraud in the bank. They have a new person being trained. So I said no problem I will come back report the fraud and close the account and go to another bank. I never had this trouble with BB&T. The only other time I reported fraud they removed it with one call and my card was fine. These people calling into another country cannot understand us and they just do whatever. I can get a better experience elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

They raised my interest rates without informing me. It takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours on hold to contact customer service, and once they answer, there is a high probability they will hang up on you. Wholly frustrating experience.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

We were happy with SunTrust and have used them over fifteen years. They had a simple website. One of the perks was free credit monitoring from IDnotify. With Truist taking over things have changed. Now it seems like a marketing world when you log in. It is no longer about banking, but about others competing for the business of Truist customers. I dont know a lot about hacking, but it seems to me this can be a back door for someone to gain access into your account by clicking on, say. WalMart or Dropbox or any number of companies who have the ability for you to click on their access through Truist.

And to make matters worse they have removed the free credit monitoring. They recently sent an email that read; "Your financial security is important to us, which is why we’re excited to invite you to our next-gen credit monitoring service: Experian CreditCenter. This service replaces IDnotify®, which will end on Aug. 31, 2022. There’s a lot to look forward to with Experian CreditCenter — you can read all about it here. And it’s free to enroll for Truist clients. Just sign in to get started."

This was **. after clicking on the link, all it did was remove any and all of your access to ID monitoring to now posting your credit score on the first page of the Truist website when you log in. Just what I want is to have a criminal look over my shoulder to see what my score is! If you do go to the link provided in this new "opportunity" as I said, you no longer have access to the monitoring, but instead it takes you to a page called Monitoring Services and apparently it has minimal to do with the account holder, but instead only applies to your "Child Monitoring". It reads "Checks for fraudulent names, aliases, and addresses associated with your minor child's SSN."

So what do I think? Truist wanted to save some money and they removed the once free and courteous monitoring provided by SunTrust. I don't give a flip about my credit score. I give a flip if someone opened an account in my name or is using my email or phone number, etc. There is no reason to remain with this Institution any more..

Original review: July 21, 2022

With BB&T 10 years no problems. Truist took over 6 months ago - worst experience. Money missing - no one can find. Account has fraudulent charges. Closing my account when they open at 9 am. I pray for this institution's DEMISE. MAY A PRISON CELL WITH NO GOLF COURSE BE IN THE BOARD MEMBERS NEAR FUTURE. I ask this of the Holy Trinity in Jesus name. AMEN!

Original review: July 19, 2022

HORRIBLE. I had a $17.53 CREDIT on my Mastercard account. Although I had regular payments being made to APPLE every month from the account, they decided to close my credit balance and promised to send me a check within 2-3 weeks! Seriously. I strongly recommend that you NOT use Truist for any of your financial transaction or you may get screwed also.

Original review: July 12, 2022

I opened a business account with Truist on 02/25/22 with an account specialist, ** at the Lake Jeanette branch (3521 N Elm St, Greensboro, NC 27405) . I was contacted 2 weeks later by ** stating he needed me to come in and re-sign the business resolution page as it was not done correctly. I went in and re-signed the document. I was told that our business debit cards would be mailed in a week. After 2 weeks, our cards were still not mailed. I contacted Truist customer care and was told we could not get our business debit cards as there was no business resolution document on file. I called the local branch and left multiple voicemails for ** to call back. I went to the bank two times to speak with someone about the account but on both occasions I went there, there was only one account personnel and was told they were busy, I had to leave because of work.

I was contacted two months later by ** to come in again to re-sign the business resolution and was offered no apology or reasons as to why I needed to re-sign the document. I went in the branch on 7/8/22 to complete the document, I spoke with the branch leader, ** and we found out my account was closed on 6/30/22 due to incomplete documentation and a check was mailed. I recently moved from the address that was on file where the check was supposedly mailed. I received no communication from Truist stating my account would be closed or why it was closed.

According to **, based on what he saw on my file, my account was closed due to incomplete business resolution. I asked ** to query and contact me with his findings. I called and emailed twice 7/11 and 7/12 before I got a response. His response was "the check was mailed". He offered no reason as to why my account was closed. I asked if the check can be cancelled and a new check mailed, his response was "it takes 90 days for the check to be cancelled". I have still not been given a confirmed reason as to why my account was closed and I am without the money that was in the account.

Original review: July 7, 2022

As a small business owner I have banked with BB&T for many, many years. They were outstanding especially to the small business segment. The Truist merger has been the biggest cluster I have experienced. Their on-line banking rollout was premature, poorly tested and full of flaws. Their staff could not help or explain the systems and even today no one is sure of some of the processes. A few months ago during a discussion of an incorrect charge, a Team lead brought to my attention that I am being incorrectly charged a monthly service fee ---- yet after weeks and weeks and weeks, he up through a VP in Florida can not/or haven't gotten around to stopping these charges which escalated this month.

Non returned phone calls grow ---- I would say that my overcharges exceed $1400. Seems Truist has no time for its customers nor interested in correcting customer overcharges. IF YOU ARE SEEKING A PERSONAL BANKING INSTITUTION OR ONE FOR YOUR BUSINESS, #TRUISTDOESNTCARE! (Feel free to share). #BBT #Truist.

Original review: June 24, 2022

I have been a Third National / Suntrust client for 50 years. I have multiple accounts with large balances. I have had loans and mortgages and private bankers throughout the years. I have many automatic transactions which occur. Since Suntrust became Truist, my experience has been ABYSMAL. If I weren't so entrenched, and if it weren't so painful to change, I would have left 6 months ago. Customer service has essentially left the company. When Suntrust formally became Truist, it took me 2 months to get access online to my business account. My "private banker" gave me various 800 numbers to call, but warned me in advance that the wait time would be 45 minutes. The online phone bankers to whom I have spoken speak broken English in thick accents.

I went in to a branch office to wire money. I had all necessary identification, and (this is what is incredible) the branch manager onsite actually knew me. Nevertheless, when it came to wiring the funds, she refused to move forward because I could not list the exact amounts of the three most recent activities on the account.

Just now I tried to gain online access to credit card statements for an elderly relative for whom I am the power of attorney. The necessary documents were on file a year ago and have been resubmitted. After spending an hour on the phone with the 800 number and a Chinese speaking banker (not exaggerating), I again tried the private banker. I was shuttled by email to a higher up "Wealth Support Specialist" in North Carolina who said "We do not have access to this system however you may contact our online banking area at 800-382-3232 for assisting with your request." I cannot say it more vehemently. Go elsewhere. If this review saves one person from getting stuck at Truist, it was worth the time it took to post. Frustrated. Nashville TN.

Truist Company Information