Formerly SunTrust

Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About Truist

Truist Bank is the result of a 2019 merger of BB&T (Branch Banking and Trust Company) and SunTrust Banks. It has branches in many communities as well as a mobile app and online banking. Truist’s services include checking and savings accounts, insurance, credit cards, personal loans, mortgages and retirement services.

Pros

• More than 2,100 branches
  • Free checking for students
  • No overdraft fees
  • Convenient mobile banking

Cons

• $2.50 or $3 fee at non-Truist ATMs
  • Doesn’t have physical locations in every state

Bottom Line

Truist offers bank accounts, investment services, personal loans, mortgages and credit cards. It has more than 3,000 ATMs and 2,100 branches in 17 states and Washington, D.C. Clients can easily avoid account maintenance fees.

Top Truist Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truist?

Verified

My credit profile has been bad until the last two years. I did improve my situation. ... I moved to Florida back in March 2021 and bought the house I was renting in October 2021. ...

Verified

Shaquille from the contact center was very informative and polite! He helped me through a scary fraud situation with exemplary professionalism. Dyesel however was very frustrated ...

What is Truist?

In 2019, BB&T Corporation merged with SunTrust Banks, Inc., to create Truist. Truist provides banking, investment, financing and mortgage services at more than 2,100 locations in 17 states and Washington, D.C. Truist’s mobile app and online banking platform give customers the ability to access and monitor their accounts from anywhere. Simple ways to waive monthly fees and no overdraft fees on checking accounts make banking with Truist free for many customers, especially students.

Truist services

Truist offers multiple products and services, including checking accounts, savings accounts, credit cards, loans, mortgages, investing/retirement accounts and insurance.

Truist offers Truist One Checking accounts with no overdraft fees, a $100 negative balance buffer and increased rewards from select Truist credit cards. Truist One Checking has a $12 monthly maintenance fee, but there are five ways to waive the fee. There are also five different levels of Truist One Checking accounts, depending on your total monthly average balance. Truist checking account benefits increase as your balance grows.
Truist has two savings account options: Truist One Savings and the Truist One Money Market Account. Truist also has certificates of deposit, which require a $1,000 account minimum. Truist offers terms of seven days to 60 months for CDs.
Truist offers several loan types, including mortgages, home equity lines of credit (HELOCs), personal loans, auto loans and boat and RV loans. For personal loans, Truist often makes decisions in under 15 minutes and may make money available to you the same day you apply. The bank also offers a special physician line of credit of up to $100,000 that’s designed to help interns, residents, fellows and board-certified physicians manage unexpected or everyday expenses.
Truist’s line of Visa credit cards includes the Enjoy Cash credit card, the Enjoy Travel credit card, the Future credit card, the Enjoy Beyond credit card and the Enjoy Cash secured credit card. Most cards earn cash back or airline miles on eligible purchases. Standard APRs vary from 13.49% to 24.49% at the time of publishing.
Truist is part of Truist Insurance Holdings. Truist’s insurance partners include McGriff, Truist Life Insurance Services and BridgeTrust Title Group. Insurance products include property and asset insurance; life, long-term care and disability insurance; additional coverage such as hospital recuperative care insurance or accidental death and dismemberment insurance; and real estate title and settlement insurance.

Truist offers three different investment and retirement planning services based on your financial situation. You must invest at least $5,000 to use Truist’s investing services.

Truist Invest is a robo-advisor with an algorithm that analyzes your portfolios daily and rebalances them when necessary. Users can monitor portfolios on demand. The Client Advisory Center gives clients with at least $50,000 to invest access to a team of advisors. Clients who invest $250,000 or more receive one-on-one support from a financial advisor, a personalized investment plan and regular progress monitoring.

Truist fees

Truist’s monthly maintenance fee for a Truist One checking account is $12, but maintenance fees are waived for students under the age of 25, account holders with other Truist products and account holders who meet certain direct deposit and balance minimums. There is also a $3 charge for a paper statement, but you can elect for paperless online e-statements. The bank doesn’t charge fees for CDs.

• Truist savings account fees: Truist One Savings accounts have a $5 monthly maintenance fee. The fee is waived for account holders who are under the age of 18, who schedule recurring transfers each statement cycle, who have a Truist checking product or who maintain a minimum balance.
  • Truist money market account fees: The account has a $12 monthly maintenance fee, but it is waived for account holders who maintain a minimum daily ledger balance of $1,000 or more.
  • Truist overdraft fee: Truist’s checking account and Confidence account do not have overdraft fees.
  • Truist ATM fee: ATM fees are $0 for Truist customers when they use Truist ATMs. Truist charges $3 per transaction at non-Truist ATMs in the U.S.
  • Truist foreign transaction fee: Truist charges $5 per transaction at non-Truist ATMs outside the U.S. Truist also charges a 3% international point-of-sale and ATM assessment fee per transaction.

Truist FAQ

Does Truist let you overdraft?

Truist offers two bank account products with no overdraft fees. The Truist One Banking checking account does not charge overdraft fees and supplies up to a $100 negative balance buffer. The Confidence account does not let users make overdrafts.

Does Truist offer free checking?

Truist checking accounts have a monthly maintenance fee of $12, but it can be waived in five different ways. Truist waives fees for students under the age of 25, clients with a Truist credit card, small business checking accounts, mortgage or consumer loans and account holders who meet direct deposit or account balance minimums.

Who owns Truist bank?

In 2019, BB&T (Branch Banking and Trust Company) merged with SunTrust Banks to become Truist Financial Corporation.

Where is Truist available?

Truist is a large bank with 2,100 branches in 17 states and Washington, D.C. Its physical branches are located in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Is Truist a good bank?

Truist offers a number of products and services to meet your financial needs, such as credit cards, checking and savings accounts, personal insurance and loans. New checking accounts from Truist eliminate overdraft fees and make it easy to waive a monthly maintenance fee. However, interest rates on savings accounts and CDs are low compared with what other banks offer.

Unique products like no-fee student checking and a physician line of credit make Truist a potentially ideal option for students and physicians. Overall, Truist’s offerings allow customers flexibility in how they handle their finances.

Truist Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Truist?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

Cancelled card and paid balance - charged a late fee; then they accepted a charge after card was closed. Billing me for late fee and unauthorized charge, and dragging out payment talks while adding on fees. I suggest you avoid this bank!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2023

I had to notify Truist Bank's Credit Card/Card member Services of (2) separate Credit Card disputes/and/or/chargebacks. One of the chargeback disputes pretty much resolved itself when the merchant finally got around to issuing the credit for the item, however the merchant issued the credit $12.00 short of what the total credit should have been so Truist's chargeback department had to contact the merchant over the $12.00 difference to try and get the money back from them. In the case of the 2nd chargeback dispute the merchant never issued credit for the item and so I had to forward all the necessary documents to Truist's chargeback department which included a written 3 page document and 2 pages of UPS/or/United Parcel Service Tracking documents showing that the merchant received the package that I "refused" back and signed for it but never processed a credit to my credit card account. It's like chargebacks 101.

Truist's chargeback department never issued a "provisional credit" for this and the disputed amount remains part of my outstanding balance. As a person who occasionally likes to pay off their balance in full this chargeback makes it difficult because they did not issue the provisional credit to my account while the dispute is being investigated and I don't know the exact amount of the outstanding balance w/ interest charges to get the legit part of the balance paid in full. I have logged about 20 to 30 plus phone calls which include hang ups and being blindly transferred to various departments regarding the issuance of the provisional credit and still no coherent answer. Truist has their chargeback department in a foreign call center and the representatives simply don't know what they are doing or saying. They don't even understand how the chargeback processes works and how they pertain to the Visa/MC rules and regulations.

It is sooo frustrating and aggravating. I've been calling for weeks now to get an answer and I'm not getting anywhere fast. I have informed them that I am going to try to get assistance from the local branch and if that fails I will take the necessary steps to contact the CFPB the government agency who overseas financial institutions and force them to respond, and this blemish and complaint will show up on their permanent record. The Truist Bank is just a mess. I am seriously considering just getting rid of the credit card altogether when this whole ordeal is over. As someone who worked in the credit card industry for 22 years before changing careers they get big 0 stars and I wouldn't even give them that if I could give them a negative score. My advice to people is to STAY AWAY FROM TRUIST BANK. PLEASE RUN RUN RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

Truist Bank (formerly SunTrust and BB&T) have predatory and illegal processes in place that will charge your account into the Hundreds of Dollars. They will show the customer one balance while having another, so if you see $50 in your account and withdrawal $40, they may charge you an overdraft fee. Note: They claim what I see reflects all posted AND pending items so it should be a true balance - it is NOT. They will NOT admit fault, they will play “3-Card Monty” with your numbers and justify their thievery. Lastly, they are held by the same conglomerate that own Wells Fargo, so choose wisely when picking a bank. After 40 years with the same account I am forced to leave banks.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

I was in hurricane Ian. I had no power or internet for quite some time. I couldn't do online banking or visit a branch. I overdrafted my account 3-4 times during this. They offered no help and charged me for every single overdraft. The worst part is I paid my account to $0. I closed my account. I was logged in and my account said CLOSED. After the account was closed they allowed more funds to be withdrawn when the account was CLOSED for a month. I have to pay $72 for more overdraft fees when the account wasn't even active. Customer service told me politely to kick rocks.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

My father passed away. Death Certificates and Probate takes time. His debit card and identification were missing from his wallet when he arrived at the hospital. I live in a different state that does not have Truist banks. I traveled over 2100 miles to the state he lived in. I went to local branch after branch to report his card missing and hopefully freeze his account. They wouldn't take his name, account number, Social Security number, medical records or doctors' statements. They refused to help me because I wasn't a Truist Account Member and didn't have a POA or Probate Title to his account yet.

After I removed my father's belongings from the house he had been renting, I had my father's mail forwarded to my home. Unaware until weeks later, when I returned to my home 2100+ miles away, I had received a notice in the mail from the bank. From his last address a debit card/pin was requested, luckily the notice stated Truist denied that request. A few weeks later I received my father's latest bank statement showing charges from debit cards, Cash App, Instacart, Walmart, Amazon, etc. How could this be when my father was hospitalized for almost 3 months prior to his death. My father was an elderly man that only used a flip phone, didn't use computers/tablets/smart phones and has no idea what the "internets" are?

I tried to call the bank again to warn them of the fraud, but the rep wouldn't even take his name or account number to look into it. It took over 2 months of calling to finally get someone in the fraud department to just take a look at his account. After I told them the date of my father's intubation; they informed me that hundreds of transactions had occurred since my father's intubation date. In the middle of the rep giving me instructions on how to report the fraudulent charges, our call was disconnected. I called back to find once again they can no longer assist me because I don't have an account.

It has been months that $100s of dollars are charged to his account every day over the internet. Over $15k has already been fraudulently charged because they would not listen or freeze this account. Til this day I still don't know if they have taken any action. Until I receive the Title to his account my hands are tied. Truist bank does not care to help or listen. I wonder if by next month's bank statement they will have let his account run dry. May my father's soul rest in peace without knowledge that he was victimized. I am grateful that he did not have to deal with this.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

I was with SunTrust for 14 years and always loved them. They were purchased by Truist and there is zero willingness to be helpful to customers. I've had large deposits on local checks that were put on hold for 7 days and when I called on the 7th day they told me I'd have to wait until the system released it at night. I've asked the branch to partially release funds on deposits and they won't. I went into a branch in Orlando and there weren't any tellers only ATMs and offices. I told them I needed 100s. I had to go into an office to do my transaction so someone could go behind close doors and get my cash. I've had my account flagged as fraud when I wrote a check to myself from another account.

Truist blocked my account and I've been fighting for 2-weeks now trying to get access to my direct deposit. They used my paycheck as hostage and wouldn't release any funds until an Analyst whom couldn't be contacted signed off within a 7 workday period. Every time I called they said they would send an email and it takes 24-hours for a response. They give phone numbers for a voicemail box that no one calls back forcing me to call every day. They act like they're the customer and I should be privileged to be doing business with them. I'm closing the three accounts I have with them and will never do business with them again.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

I opened my first bank account with Suntrust (now Truist) a couple years before they merged. Christmas of 2020 my grandmother gave me a check to help cover my college costs at the time, I deposited the check and it looked like it just didn't go through for the first week, then out of nowhere I was locked out of my account. When I called to ask about it, after being on hold for over an hour, the woman who answered told me she couldn't give me a reason why, but that they were no longer willing to work with me, and that they would send my remaining balances of both my checking and savings account after holding it for 30 days. I didn't get those checks for six weeks, and because of that was completely without money that entire time.

When I finally did get those checks, my savings account was missing exactly the amount of that check I was given- I called and asked about that and they told me I had to go in person to a branch, with the person who wrote the check and some paperwork in order for them to release the money. When we did get to that branch, they said they also couldn't do anything and to call corporate. I called these people consistently for several months, never waited any less than four hours on hold (three calls went on for almost eight whole hours) half the time the call would drop before I even talked to a person.

After almost a full year of this I was told by a customer service rep. that I had to go to the branch I opened my account at, with my grandmother and the paperwork they wanted last time, to get special letterhead from the manager of that bank in order to do anything. The problem was that that branch had been closed since I moved out of that town, the building is gone, and I told him that. He literally said "I don't know what to tell you, then" and hung up on me. It's been almost two years and I still never got that money back, and neither did my grandmother. On her bank records it shows that amount being taken out of her account, in January of 2021, but no record of it ever being returned, and as of November 2022 that is still the case. The amount of money is less than lawyer fees would be and that is the only reason I have let it go this long- Please do not trust these people with your money.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

I can see why the ratings are very low, as I am a customer.. I pulled into the drive thru had to wait 3 cars later… Finally I parked my vehicle in one line and had to stand outside in the next line in order to get waited on. After ok pulling off.. Never mind I had to wait for 30 min for one deposit… The teller skipped me and she apologized to the other customers for their terrible service… Unbelievable.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

I have had the Truist Small Business Credit Card for about a year now. When calling into their customer service no one knows what they are looking at and information is inconsistent. Not to mention each time I have been either hung up on or transferred blindly to another clueless department. Also, their account statement retrieval system is from the ice age. You will not be able to get your past transactions in excel form. My experience with this bank and this product has been horrid!! Run from these people!!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

I normally use online payments to pay my HOA but I decided to go to a nearby Truist bank to make my HOA payment. Upon arriving the line was long and there was only one teller working. There were two people working the drive thru window. After 10 minutes in line I decided to use the drive thru window since there was no one at the drive thru. When I gave the teller my HOA statement and my debit card she said I had to go inside and have a cash advance done since it was a debit card. I went back inside and now I'm at the end of the line. 30 minutes later I was next in line and the man working the teller window came from the drivethru window to help me. I explained that I simply wanted to pay my HOA fee using my debit card. The other lady working the drive thru window told me to come inside. She said I would need to make an ATM withdrawal. The ATM is outside in a drive up lane.

The man said I could also pay with my credit card so I gave him my card to process the transaction. In total it took over an hour to make the payment. The female teller at the drive thru could have told me to withdraw the money from the ATM in the other lane or that I could use my credit card. The customers inside were obviously tired of waiting for the one window teller. The bank could have opened up additional tellers because there were more employees in the bank. I will refrain from using Truist for anything. I use autopay for my HOA now. Stay clear of Truist.

Truist Company Information