1.16/5

803 Suntrust Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

While Suntrust, is more of a traditional bank, unless you are a business account holder, I feel that all banks (for most people) are treated as online banks. Suntrust has a fairly robust online presence and their interface, using a traditional computer browser, is full featured and fairly intuitive. Their mobile app, is above standard, comparatively to other "traditional banks" and offers good security as well as the majority of the features available on their traditional browser based counterpart. I have considered switching to an "online only" bank; however I believe the emergent nature of the online banking business is still in flux and growing. For me, 50ish, I would like to see this mature more before I make the "jump".

Original review: July 3, 2019

It was very efficient working with Lending Tree and LightStream/SunTrust Bank to obtain a debt consolidation loan. LightStream has some negative reviews, but look at the dates. All of them are older and it looks like SunTrust got their customer service act together and got serious about completing for business. At least in my experience there were no better offers, hands down. I will work with this company again in the future.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The service with my local branches in VA has been good. Now that Suntrust & BBT are merging, I am a little troubled. I am going to the local branch today to iron out the future banking with them may or may not do banking, I will know soon.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I made my monthly car payment online thru their website every 2nd of the month. I schedule it at least a week in advance. For some reason they drafted my account 3 times for August 2019 payment which causes my checking account with my bank to become insufficient for those 2 additional payment that they took. I called to find out what/how it happened. They gave no explanation, instead they accused me of sending those 3 payments and then called them trying to collect the insufficient funds fees. It doesn't makes any sense. All I want is for them to pay for their mistakes. Will definitely shop for other financial institution and will never do any business with this fraud bank.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I had a damaged card. They sent me a new one in a week because they don't do temporary cards. I received my new card and the card still doesn't work. Called customers service. All they said was we can do is send you another card. I'm not waiting another week for a card. I'm closing the account, worst bank ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I opened a account yesterday and deposit my 1st check to a new job. My first thoughts was wow they never gave me a debit or at least a temporary card to use. They told me its takes about 7 days to get a card so I said ok so I ask "Could I withdrawal $20 out while I'm here." They said, 'No, it's up to 48 hours" which is a lie. I found out the check won't clear till 7 days from now so I'm like really you telling me I can't come to the bank until 7 days after I work 2 weeks to withdraw money. All customer service says is sorry for the inconvenience.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I made a $320 ATM withdrawal on 8/3. On 8/4, I scheduled over a thousand dollars in bill payments to be deducted from my account on the sixth, based on the available balance SunTrust showed. That left me close to no money. On 8/5, my balance still showed the same amount as the day before. I deposited $300. Today, 8/6, I am blocked from using my card because I am overdrawn. After four phone calls I finally find out that my ATM withdrawal took over 3 DAYS to post to my account... meaning that when I scheduled my payments to come out, that $320 was not included in my balance. Now they tell me that happened because it was a Saturday that I withdrew money. They seem confused when I point out that literally EVERY other ATM withdrawal I have ever made immediately posts to my account. Immediately. Saturday, Sunday, even Christmas Day.... an ATM withdrawal has posted immediately.

I understand that the onus is ultimately on me to track my money... but online banking is supposed to do that for me. Always has.... until now, when it inexplicably omits a $320 transaction, setting me to overextend my finances. Now, I am simply screwed. I have no money for two weeks, my account is overdrawn, I can buy no food, no gas. And, the best part of all these ** are gonna hit me with an overdraft fee today, and another one in a few days when I don't make a deposit. Essentially, I am being punished for Suntrust failing to process transactions consistently and efficiently. I no longer trust this bank. If for no other reason than the complete lack of empathy, the unwillingness to accept ANY responsibility for their inconsistency and absurd excuses. I mean you didn't record the transaction into the system you tell us all to use specifically to better handle our finances.

I am terribly disappointed, I am angry, and I am convinced that stuff like this happens precisely to get money from those of us who do not go overdrawn, and who do not have to pay ridiculous fees for screwing up. I don't trust this was an oversight or an accident, and I don't think their policy changes from day to day, regarding when transactions are processed. That's it. I'm now overdrawn, my Credit will take a hit, and I am penniless with no gas and no food for two weeks. All because Suntrust took THREE DAYS to process an ATM withdrawal. I can do NOTHING about the situation, and they KNOW it, that's why they just.... don't.... care. And that's what it feels like. Like they just don't care. I cannot support a business that makes its money by sabotaging its customers.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

This is the worse bank I have ever dealt with! Since moving from California to Georgia I had to change banking with Chase to Suntrust due to there are no Chase banks in my area. The worse mistake I ever made. They have the worse security/fraud detection ever!!!! They will make sure you can’t use your own hard earned money. My fiancé and I use Zelle often to transfer money to each other because our branch is 40 minutes away so this is much easier for us. But in reality it’s a joke! Both our accounts often get flagged so then we can’t send each other money. We have called several times and jumped through all the hoops to confirm it is NOT fraudulent activity. If these idiots would actually take a look at the activity for however long we’ve been transferring to each other!

So once again the same issue we are blocked. He got his Zelle unblocked but they are asking me for the third time since March to go into a branch to prove who I am! Not only is this time consuming and not possible because I have a life and work and the branch is not close. It is such a joke that they do this to their customers repeatedly with no explanations or corrections. I will be going in there on my day off and closing both my accounts with these morons!!!! Don’t bank with them. They rob you as well with overdraft fees for items pending!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I would give -5 stars if that was an option. I was overcharged by a company called StudySoup. The material I purchased was also incomplete. So I contacted the company and they refuse to refund: I immediately turn to Suntrust to report this fraudulent website and get my money back. The claim is opened and I get the money back temporarily. My claim is denied and the money is taken back including an overdraft fee. I was never contacted or update. All of the sudden I see those charges on my account. I have to contact Suntrust and they tell me the claim was denied. They send me the forms for a rebuttal and I immediately fill it out and send it back in the mail. Never heard anything back and Suntrust claims they never received my letter, because they lost it!

I have called dozens of times and no one has been able to help message me. I keep getting incompetent people who don’t know what they are doing or people who do not speak enough English to comprehend everything I’ve gone through. This happened in February in 2019. It is now August 2019 and I am still going through this nightmare. I even sent a long detailed message explaining everything Suntrust put me through, they claim to reply in 1 business day... It’s been 2 weeks! I am a college student. I work overtime just to pay my tuition each semester so I can go to school and make something of myself. StudySoup stole from me and Suntrust stole from me. STUDENTS BEWARE. DO NOT BANK WITH SUNTRUST. I am now going to begin a consumer complaint against Suntrust. Someone will listen to me and I will get my money back.

Original review: July 31, 2019

Ok in the beginning my daughter opened the account with no problem, mind you it's only been open for a few weeks. My daughter is hardworking and is using her employment to pay her college fees. So when we received the account we were told that mobile banking was available because she has no car. This was convenient for my daughter, so upon getting her payroll check she mobile deposited the check into her account and this is where it gets crazy. She deposited the check on a Friday with an electronic message that her funds would be available on Monday. Monday arrives funds still not on account, we call the bank. They tell us 3 business days and that it would be Tuesday or Wednesday, Wednesday comes no funds so we head down to the local branch where they NOW inform us that the check looked suspicious to the fraud dept.

So NOT only did they hold the check with no prior info to us BUT then put her account on hold PENDING closure. Even though the bank scanned the check and emailed it to them and told them it was a real check. They informed me that they could close account with no prior knowledge to the customer if terms and conditions were violated even though she did not violate any terms. The nasty woman from the fraud dept. Who stated she was the supervisor then tells me we cannot withdraw any of her money and could not cash the check anywhere else. If you are closing her account how is it fraud to cash a Legal check that the company refused elsewhere and then have to wait 5 to 7 business days for you to send a check with the rest of her money.

These people are crazy with no proof or anything. You put an 18 yr old girl through this. I will NOT ever use this bank again. They deserve no stars. This is ridiculous and then to tell us the check won't be released until the 6th of August when she has to show up at college with room and board on the 8th inconsiderate and their methods are disgusting. Doing whatever they want with people's money no regard for the inconvenience. If you had a problem with the check would it have hurt to ask to bring it to the local branch to be verified instead of putting someone through this nonsense and treating them like a criminal. INSANE!!!

Suntrust Company Information