Suntrust (Now Truist)

SunTrust (Now Truist)
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.60/5

SunTrust (now Truist) is a bank with a full range of online services, as well as in-store offerings in select locations nationwide. SunTrust provides multiple mortgage types, refinancing and other loan options. You can apply online for its standard and unconventional mortgage products.

BOTTOM LINE

SunTrust Bank offers online services nationwide. Its checking accounts are free with a minimum balance or direct deposit, and its credit cards offer cashback and loyalty rewards for linked accounts.

PROS
  • ID protection and credit monitoring
  • Generous loyalty bonus
  • Full range of services online
CONS
  • Branches not available in all states
  • Balance minimums for free checking

Top SunTrust (Now Truist) Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust (Now Truist)?

I've been with Suntrust for 20 years. They provide a wonderful variety of accounts… They have financed the last 3 houses I've purchased and always had the lowest interest rates... Customer service and bank personnel are always very friendly and helpful.

I've banked with SunTrust, now Truist, ever since I've had a bank account, so for the past 17 years. They have great customer service. I like how they are located in some Publix Supermarkets and also in branches. Makes it convenient either way.

About SunTrust Bank online banking

SunTrust Bank offers full-service online banking and some physical locations and ATMs. Its two types of checking accounts, Essential and Advantage, feature 10% cashback loyalty bonuses when linked to SunTrust Bank credit cards. It also provides overdraft protection for linked accounts, free online bill pay for checking accounts and some waived overdraft fees. Its savings accounts come with free identity protection and credit monitoring through IDNotify by Experian.

SunTrust Bank offers three types of rewards credit cards: cash, travel and prime rewards. You can link any of these to a SunTrust Bank savings or checking account for a loyalty bonus of up to 50%. All SunTrust Bank credit cards link to digital pay methods, including Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay, Garmin Pay and Visa Click to Pay. The bank also offers a secured credit card, which lets you deposit a certain amount so you can earn cashback rewards for purchases up to your set limit.

SunTrust Bank services

You can open SunTrust Bank accounts and apply for credit cards online, or you can visit a branch if there’s one in your area. SunTrust Bank’s loan officers can also walk you through its vehicle financing, debt consolidation, home improvement, personal loan offerings and mortgage and home refinancing loan options.

SunTrust Bank also has an enhanced online investment platform with no advisory fees (brokerage commissions apply) for those who want to invest no more than $50,000. If you’re a DIY investor, you can manage your portfolio and execute trades with this tool. The bank also offers private wealth management services and a client advisory center for larger investments.

SunTrust Bank fees

Both SunTrust Bank’s Essential and Advantage checking accounts require a $100 balance to open, and both have monthly maintenance fees:

• Advantage accounts cost $20 per month unless the account has $3,000 in monthly direct deposits or you maintain a $10,000 balance across all linked accounts.
    • Essential accounts cost $7 per month, which is waived if you maintain a $500 balance or have $500 or more in monthly direct deposits.

The SunTrust Bank Advantage money market savings account comes with a $17 monthly fee, which is waived if you have a balance of $10,000 or more or with a $100 monthly transfer or electronic deposit. SunTrust Bank overdraft fees are $36 ($12.50 per transfer for overdraft protection).

SunTrust Bank FAQ

Does SunTrust Bank offer free checking?
    SunTrust Bank waives the monthly maintenance fee for checking accounts with a balance over a certain amount. Accounts with direct deposits that meet the minimum are also eligible for fee waivers.
    Does SunTrust Bank let you overdraft?
    SunTrust Bank offers overdraft protection; you must accept this service when opening your account in order to be eligible.
    How much can you withdraw from SunTrust Bank?
    The daily ATM withdrawal limit for SunTrust Bank’s Essential checking account is $500; the limit is $1,000 for the Advantage account.
    Where is SunTrust Bank available?
    SunTrust Bank has branches in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Washington, D.C. Its online services are available nationwide.

Is SunTrust Bank a good bank?

Though SunTrust Bank doesn’t have branches in all states, it offers full-service online banking nationwide. If you’re hoping to build credit, SunTrust Bank’s secured credit card with cashback rewards might be a good option. The bank charges for its checking accounts, but if you meet the minimum account balance you’ll receive a monthly fee waiver. It also offers loyalty bonuses for linking credit cards to savings and checking accounts.

SunTrust (Now Truist) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunTrust (Now Truist)?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust (Now Truist)?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

How often we criticize, how seldom we praise. Such is not the case with Karen **. She was so helpful and patient in helping me set up my online mobile app for my Truist banking accounts. My technical skills are only fair but nonetheless Karen walked me through everything that was required. I would have to assume that Karen is a highly valued employee of your fine company. I thought you might appreciate this complimentary feedback. I have been a customer since 2011.

Cozy

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I very much appreciate the customer service I receive. Minus one star, however, for their silly promotional email, saying all I had to do to get a free $600 was to open a savings account and deposit at least $100,000 in the next 7 days. Oh that's ALL?! :) And if you don't have $100,000 laying around, they even had a 'poor man's option', where you could deposit $10,000 and get $100. Jeez, I don't know why I never took advantage of these deals before....oh wait... that's right.... LOL! :)

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I've been with Suntrust for 20 years. They provide a wonderful variety of accounts (checking, savings, investment, credit card, mortgage, personal loans, etc). They have financed the last 3 houses I've purchased and always had the lowest interest rates. Even with their merger with BB&T, I have had no interruption in services. Customer service and bank personnel are always very friendly and helpful.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I love my bank, it is so nice to bank somewhere where they know your name when you walk in and they are all so nice. They have always been very helpful and I would recommend this bank to my family and friends.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I have been banking with Suntrust since I moved to Florida in 2010. They are excellent! Their fraud protection is amazing. Both times my credit card was fraudulently used, they somehow knew and texted me immediately asking if it was me who made the charges. When they found out it was not me, they immediately shut the card off and returned my money. Very happy.

Original review: May 1, 2021

I have been with Suntrust Banking for about 11 years. I now live out of state, and only decided to switch banks due to this location change. I am now going through a very painful process of trying to close my bank account, which is incredibly difficult as it turns out. Even though I have changed all of my recurrent bills to my new banking service, random charges are still being processed by Suntrust, much to the confusion of the vendors (and me, who sees that the exact same charges are being processed by my new bank, the only bank info the vendors have). This results in fees, me needing to call and speak to customer service daily, and now needing to process claims to prove that these charges are not approved by myself.

When I ask to shut down my account, and decline any and all 'charges' that Suntrust wants to process, I am told I cannot do this or that I need to pay more fees. I have had no issues with Suntrust until now, but it is extremely reassuring to me that I know I am no longer (if I am ever allowed to close my accounts) banking with them. This process is incredibly stressful and infuriating, and I wish that closing an account was easier than a several week process.

Original review: April 18, 2021

This is the worst bank ever. I live in north and I have Chase Bank for many years. Moving to Tennessee and there was no bank in Chattanooga. I opened an account with Suntrust (Truist). After I deposited the check and made another transaction from my bank to them they close the account without any reason and they have not returned my money. I made a complaint with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and still nothing. After my accountant call them then lawyer called they decided to return my money. BE AWARE THIS BANK IS A SCAM!

Original review: April 6, 2021

They cancelled my account without notifying me. They have been for months withholding my funds. They refuse to give me a timeline on when I can receive the money that is rightfully mine. It feels when trying to resolve this with them they have no desire to work with me on this issue. I feel as though they do not intend to pay me at all. Their customer service is seriously lacking and the employees do not care about you the consumer.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I opened an account at Suntrust (now Truist) in order to consolidate funds for the purchase of a single level condo for my handicapped mom. She is currently residing in a trilevel house and after surgery cannot get up and down stairs to even go to the bathroom. Within 24 hours of transferring $240.000 into the account to buy the condo, they put my account on hold then they chose to close my account without giving me a call or a reason for doing so. I am now being told that my funds will not be released back to me for 5 more weeks.

I am a medical professional with 36 years of experience, my FICO is 831, and I have never bounced a check. This bank basically confiscated the money that I had to help my handicapped mother. I have called several times, retained a lawyer, and spoken to the local manager daily for the last 3 weeks. Basically, no one really cares. They all say that their hands are tied and that there is no one to reach out to that can help me. I am going to be in default in my real estate contract due to their ineptness. I would suggest to anyone wanting to keep their money safe, please bank elsewhere.

Original review: April 5, 2021

What a joke and a bait and switch at that. It’s criminal. Suntrust (if you are not aware it is part of Truist), advertised a promo which ended on March 31st, 2021. Do a direct deposit if at least 500.00 in checking and deposit at least 10,000 in a Savings account and eventually after meeting those qualifications you will receive a 400.00 bonus. Well they rejected me after 3 days of opening up the account and receiving a welcome email from them. They rejected my 10,000 bank transfer from American Express and restricted my access to my online account and accused me of fraud. I have a FICO score of 844 and have very significant financial resources. Never had a mark on my credit rating ever and I am 68 years old. I panicked thinking someone had gotten a hold of my SS etc. so I called.

I was sent to the fraud department and they told me my account is restricted and they are investigating it and will send me a letter. Not good enough so I went to the local Suntrust Bank in Waxhaw, NC and demanded an answer of WHY they refused my account. The banker was on the phone for over an hour only to tell me I will receive a generic letter in the mail. My account is closed. They don’t have the guts to tell me the truth because they know they would be subject to a lawsuit. Bait and switch when they think all you're interested in is their bonus. Well don’t advertise it if you are not going to fulfill your obligation. It is false advertising.

SunTrust (Now Truist) Company Information