Suntrust (Now Truist)

SunTrust (Now Truist)
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.52/5

SunTrust (now Truist) is a bank with a full range of online services, as well as in-store offerings in select locations nationwide. SunTrust provides multiple mortgage types, refinancing and other loan options. You can apply online for its standard and unconventional mortgage products.

BOTTOM LINE

SunTrust Bank offers online services nationwide. Its checking accounts are free with a minimum balance or direct deposit, and its credit cards offer cashback and loyalty rewards for linked accounts.

PROS

• ID protection and credit monitoring
  • Generous loyalty bonus
  • Full range of services online

CONS

• Branches not available in all states
  • Balance minimums for free checking

Top SunTrust (Now Truist) Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust (Now Truist)?

I've been with Suntrust for 20 years. They provide a wonderful variety of accounts… They have financed the last 3 houses I've purchased and always had the lowest interest rates... Customer service and bank personnel are always very friendly and helpful.

I've banked with SunTrust, now Truist, ever since I've had a bank account, so for the past 17 years. They have great customer service. I like how they are located in some Publix Supermarkets and also in branches. Makes it convenient either way.

About SunTrust Bank online banking

SunTrust Bank offers full-service online banking and some physical locations and ATMs. Its two types of checking accounts, Essential and Advantage, feature 10% cashback loyalty bonuses when linked to SunTrust Bank credit cards. It also provides overdraft protection for linked accounts, free online bill pay for checking accounts and some waived overdraft fees. Its savings accounts come with free identity protection and credit monitoring through IDNotify by Experian.

SunTrust Bank offers three types of rewards credit cards: cash, travel and prime rewards. You can link any of these to a SunTrust Bank savings or checking account for a loyalty bonus of up to 50%. All SunTrust Bank credit cards link to digital pay methods, including Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay, Garmin Pay and Visa Click to Pay. The bank also offers a secured credit card, which lets you deposit a certain amount so you can earn cashback rewards for purchases up to your set limit.

SunTrust Bank services

You can open SunTrust Bank accounts and apply for credit cards online, or you can visit a branch if there’s one in your area. SunTrust Bank’s loan officers can also walk you through its vehicle financing, debt consolidation, home improvement, personal loan offerings and mortgage and home refinancing loan options.

SunTrust Bank also has an enhanced online investment platform with no advisory fees (brokerage commissions apply) for those who want to invest no more than $50,000. If you’re a DIY investor, you can manage your portfolio and execute trades with this tool. The bank also offers private wealth management services and a client advisory center for larger investments.

SunTrust Bank fees

Both SunTrust Bank’s Essential and Advantage checking accounts require a $100 balance to open, and both have monthly maintenance fees:

• Advantage accounts cost $20 per month unless the account has $3,000 in monthly direct deposits or you maintain a $10,000 balance across all linked accounts.
    • Essential accounts cost $7 per month, which is waived if you maintain a $500 balance or have $500 or more in monthly direct deposits.

The SunTrust Bank Advantage money market savings account comes with a $17 monthly fee, which is waived if you have a balance of $10,000 or more or with a $100 monthly transfer or electronic deposit. SunTrust Bank overdraft fees are $36 ($12.50 per transfer for overdraft protection).

SunTrust Bank FAQ

Does SunTrust Bank offer free checking?
    SunTrust Bank waives the monthly maintenance fee for checking accounts with a balance over a certain amount. Accounts with direct deposits that meet the minimum are also eligible for fee waivers.
    Does SunTrust Bank let you overdraft?
    SunTrust Bank offers overdraft protection; you must accept this service when opening your account in order to be eligible.
    How much can you withdraw from SunTrust Bank?
    The daily ATM withdrawal limit for SunTrust Bank’s Essential checking account is $500; the limit is $1,000 for the Advantage account.
    Where is SunTrust Bank available?
    SunTrust Bank has branches in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Washington, D.C. Its online services are available nationwide.

Is SunTrust Bank a good bank?

Though SunTrust Bank doesn’t have branches in all states, it offers full-service online banking nationwide. If you’re hoping to build credit, SunTrust Bank’s secured credit card with cashback rewards might be a good option. The bank charges for its checking accounts, but if you meet the minimum account balance you’ll receive a monthly fee waiver. It also offers loyalty bonuses for linking credit cards to savings and checking accounts.

SunTrust (Now Truist) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunTrust (Now Truist)?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust (Now Truist)?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

How often we criticize, how seldom we praise. Such is not the case with Karen **. She was so helpful and patient in helping me set up my online mobile app for my Truist banking accounts. My technical skills are only fair but nonetheless Karen walked me through everything that was required. I would have to assume that Karen is a highly valued employee of your fine company. I thought you might appreciate this complimentary feedback. I have been a customer since 2011.

Cozy

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I very much appreciate the customer service I receive. Minus one star, however, for their silly promotional email, saying all I had to do to get a free $600 was to open a savings account and deposit at least $100,000 in the next 7 days. Oh that's ALL?! :) And if you don't have $100,000 laying around, they even had a 'poor man's option', where you could deposit $10,000 and get $100. Jeez, I don't know why I never took advantage of these deals before....oh wait... that's right.... LOL! :)

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I've been with Suntrust for 20 years. They provide a wonderful variety of accounts (checking, savings, investment, credit card, mortgage, personal loans, etc). They have financed the last 3 houses I've purchased and always had the lowest interest rates. Even with their merger with BB&T, I have had no interruption in services. Customer service and bank personnel are always very friendly and helpful.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I love my bank, it is so nice to bank somewhere where they know your name when you walk in and they are all so nice. They have always been very helpful and I would recommend this bank to my family and friends.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I have been banking with Suntrust since I moved to Florida in 2010. They are excellent! Their fraud protection is amazing. Both times my credit card was fraudulently used, they somehow knew and texted me immediately asking if it was me who made the charges. When they found out it was not me, they immediately shut the card off and returned my money. Very happy.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

So I have been a member for years and today I got a late notice and the person that I spoke to was very rude and was blaming everything on the mail. I mailed my payment through bill pay on the 20th and it still has not been received. He has very poor customer service so I paid the card off and closed my account. You would think with covid and all the issues we were having he would have a better attitude and waived my late fees. No one from SunTrust even called and with my account they should have seen that I have never been late. I will not do business with them anymore.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

This is the second time I have experienced fraud in my account. This time is was Western Union were somebody used my debit card to send money to someone out of the country. I called western union, reported it, got all the information. Basically did the bank's job for them. Went to the bank in person, reported it and gave them all the information. Just like last time they denied my claim stating just because I used the realtor in the past this looked like normal activity. You have got to be kidding me! How do these people sleep at night. I clearly have never sent money to Columbia. I am finally a complaint with the consumer business bureau. Keep your money out of this bank. I will never bank with them again.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I travel for my job and SunTrust faithfully cancels my card every single week and leaves me stranded somewhere while I sort it out. Customer service people couldn’t be any less helpful. Bank of America is where I’m going.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

They always are having tech issues that impact your ability to pay or receive money. And whenever you talk to someone in any bank branch they tell you not my job. In addition whenever you contract that little number on the back of the card. Which they will tell you every time to call, there are extremely long waits, no one that actually has the knowledge, much less the will power to help with simple questions. As well, they are always for some reason having an update for tech malfunctions which supposedly does not allow them to answer simple questions. It’s like they are reading from script every time and claim the same issues each time. These guys are a joke.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

Someone made a charge against debit card. I caught called fraud line. They suspended my debit card. Issued took two weeks. Then tell me after receipt I have to use as credit card. Now I have to wait two weeks or longer to get a debit card.

SunTrust (Now Truist) Company Information