1.14/5

652 Suntrust Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I started doing business with what was American Federal in 1988, the bank now known by Suntrust. I have kept a checking account there just to have an account that was separate from my business account. Granted I do Quick Books for my business and I am a stickler for monitoring the charges and balance of the account (by the way, my business account is with Pinnacle Bank and they do not charge me any fees). I caught on my statement in a quick review where I noticed this fee. Originally I thought it must be an annual fee. I mean $14/month, what kind of burden is it for me to keep money in your bank?

On top of it, I find it has been going off and on charging me from month to month because any month I didn't have $5,000 daily balance, they charged me. They have nothing at all that I have signed giving them permission to take money out of my account. The explanation I received was that they had notified me on my statement and by mail. I asked if they had certified mail that could prove they mailed it to me since they have NO signature on anything that they can provide saying I agreed to this. So I asked for a different account that didn't have "free checks and money order", wow, $14/month...

So they tell me they have one that will only cost me $7/month but that I would have to change my card number and that I will have to notify everyone that I have drafting my account. What kind of tactic is that, have to change a card number. Needless to say as soon as possible I will be changing my personal account to Pinnacle also. And just to think, I was thinking about refinancing my home, guess who it will not be through. Suntrust, you do not have the right just because you hold my money to take my money without permission!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

If I could give zero stars I would...every check I have deposited into my Suntrust account has been put on hold. I have had two checks held simultaneously and have had to call multiple times to figure out why. This is ridiculous being that the check I opened the account with cleared the next business day. I would honestly look for another bank to use. This makes absolutely no sense and threatens my well being. I'd rather keep money in a shoe box than to deposit another check in Suntrust. I will definitely be closing the account.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have been with SunTrust for years. Over the last year their customer service has become a joke. I still have personal accounts with them (not much longer, though) and started a business account with them. I fully regret giving them more of my business. Their communication is pathetic, their follow up is like pulling teeth to get something done. They have been rude and unprofessional at times. I would rate them a zero overall. Avoid this bank.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Suntrust has taken 36.00 from me so many times I probably really close that I could have paid for a new car with all that money taken!!! I have a child support payment so high I after I pay that put gas in my car there’s very little money to pay my bills or even to feed myself. So having a bank I been with since I was 16 years old treat me this way is bad sad and breathtaking, the rich get richer. If a law was made and they had to return that money the number I’d get would be mind blowing. I really need it so bad. I got teeth need work. Can’t afford to go to a dentist. I have pulled my own tooth because only choice I had. Thanks Suntrust. Keep robbing people with your way over the top 36.00 overdraft fee.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I wish I read the SunTrust review on this site when I started the account with SunTrust. It's been a long and painful experience but I didn't have the time to close the account and transfer my customers. So, I had to endure it for 2 years. No more. When I open the acct, the bank associates do not know anything about business banking. So, she had to call back office for every little thing. Took 2 hours at the bank to open an account. The bank associate (not teller) does not know what ACH is. Nice. Then the online banking password was sent to me only when I visit the site physically. And when I am at the bank, they sent me the password that I have to log in within 24 or 48 hours. I can't log in at the bank (no computer), so I have to go home to do it. And if there is anything wrong, I have to go back to the bank. I didn't know the rule. So, basically spent time coming back and forth 3 times to get online banking setup.

The website is not user friendly. Can't pay other people easily using the site. Other Accounting tool (Quickbooks, Xero) can integrate directly with MT&T but not with SunTrust. I have to export manually every month and upload to SunTrust. To log in to SunTrust, your browser needs to have Trusteer tool. Unfortunately Trusteer updates their software every month or so. And every time, you have to research why you can't log in, download the new Trusteer (no auto update), and clear cache and log in again.

When I asked to add my wife to the business, MT&T bank gave me a Signature Card to sign. But SunTrust Bank Associate and Manager told me that I need to go home and create a letter-head letter to add request adding my wife. Why don't they make it convenient for their clients to have a form ready for their clients to sign right there? Why do I need to go back home and come back with a letterhead? That's when I said enough is enough and close a large account with them. To cover their butt, the associate told the manager that they referred my case to legal. I advise them to send their legal to me so they can have an earful. What a junkie business they have. If you desire any convenience for your business, stay away from SunTrust.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

We've been banking with Suntrust for several years, and we used to have a great relationship with a few of the bank officers there, who took great care of our financial needs - we trusted those bank officers. Sadly, all of them have since retired, leaving a huge customer service void in their place. We recently deposited a check from one of my clients that has been a monthly online deposit of exactly the same amount for over five years. HOWEVER, this time, two days after the deposit was made, as always - ONLINE - I checked my account online to see that the check had been refused by Suntrust, and on top of that, they charged me $12.50. I called to ask what happened, and the young man on the phone said "We couldn't read the account number." I asked, "mine, or the sender's account number?" He replied, "The sender's."

I asked him why didn't someone call me, or text me, or email me? Why just charge me $12.50 and not notify me? If I wasn't the kind of guy that checked his accounts daily, I would never have known, and I would have been out the amount of the check itself, ($600.00) PLUS the $12.50... So, my balance would have been $612.50 less than I thought it was - what if I had written a check on those funds? Then I would also have an overdraft... Is that what Suntrust was hoping would happen? I wonder. So, I found out that if I go to a branch and deposit the check physically, they will "as a courtesy" remove the $12.50 charge. Why didn't they, "as a courtesy" call me when they discovered they supposedly 'couldn't read the account number?' I also bank with USAA, so I will very soon be moving my account to them. Suntrust can say goodbye to a very large account.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Rang the bank, mobile app not operational. Was told fees would be honored stating that checks were written & I was concerned for them bouncing & additional fees. I waited to see if the mobile app was operational the following day, it wasn’t. I had to mail my physical check & it was received a day ago. The mobile app was operational two days after I made the first call concerning the app. A supervisor got on the phone with me & with no intentions whatsoever to refund me anything else other than a courtesy fee that was already refunded; two to be exact, stated that the bank would only refund any fees during the time the mobile app was not operational; in which wasn’t explained to me on the original call. My physical check that I sent in has the date printed on it, the date from the mail in which they received it, is printed on the envelope, but I’m still not to be refunded any fees that were charged to my account during those dates.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I dealt with many bank but Suntrust is fraudulent bank for no reason at all. They're money hungry greedy company. I pray that Jesus Christ expose them into rebuke. Their intentions of business to be useless in avoid by fire in force in the blood of Jesus in history account is fraudulent. I was told twice that I would receive my cash deposit from their ATM. I was told 10 business days that my cash will be posted back!!! into my account. It's been 3 weeks now. They're very unprofessional and took money on my account and did not put it back and told me that my account history was negative and not on my database have I ever showed my account being negative. Suntrust is frauds and they don't have to be. Suntrust can generate billions of dollars if the brand name is switched in. Their customer service needs to be improved. I'm so disappointed. They're training to take your money...

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I submitted a claim to Suntrust about a charge that was done on account. I called many time to get information. Customer representative was very rude and then placed me on hold, because I asked to speak supervisor. I requested some information about case stated was going provide it. I still have not received the information. Then stated that had do something and wouldn't help me get the information then disconnected the call. I will be removing all my accounts from Suntrust so I advise anybody not to open account with this bank.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Opened an account online back in July and all of a sudden I was mask alerted with Fraud and have not been able to access my funds I deposited into the account after giving all of my same information to create the account. I was told by every representative I spoke with to go to local branch which is 482 miles away from me with a picture I.D. I offered to send in a copy of my picture I.D. via email to whatever department and I was still rejected. What I don’t understand is how they will allow you to create an account, take your money then say, "Sorry for there is nothing more we can do about it." This is absurd. Never again. Worst banking company ever.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

The online banking and the mobile app not working, it has been 2 days now. It is very frustrating! I called customer service in the past 2 weeks 3-5 times, they are not helpful at all. Also, there overdraft charge is ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Have had my business account at Suntrust Bank since 1985. Have had an issue regarding a payment being taken out every month which I never approved. I have been trying to resolve this matter since 2011. The branch offices have stopped the auto payment several times only to have it start again the next month. This has now added up to approximately $12,000!

Despite my complaints and the branch offices telling me they have turned the matter over to be investigated, I have never even received ONE response from this so called Investigation Dept. I have become very disgusted with this bank but just changing banks at this point would not solve the mystery of the missing money. That would just weaken my ability to do anything about this. I can only imagine how unresponsive Suntrust would be towards a non-account holder. They won't even tell me where the money goes to! This is insane!!

I have recently sent descriptive letters to the Federal Trade Comm. and all other parties potentially involved and have received no response from anyone regarding this potential fraudulent activity that has been going on now for 8 years. I have had medical issues preventing me from spending my entire life in a battle with Big Business, but now I will spend more time trying to resolve this matter. Something is wrong here and no one appears to want to do anything about it. Suntrust or AT&T, one or both of them are possibly committing fraud.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I try to mobile deposit a check for $18.45, but it did not went through. It came back an error message. After one hour I Mobile deposited the check in my Chase account and I got a confirmation. Two days later I am logging in in my Suntrust account, and they charged me $12.50 returned check fee. I called the bank, talk to a rep. She said she can not see any error message send to my contact information, so they will not refund the $12.50. I ask for the supervisor, and I spoke with Jayson **, who also said the same, it will not be refunded the $12.50 because they cannot see any error message. They said probably my phone is defective. I’ve been banking with Suntrust for over six, years, and this is the day I close my account!! Their system is so often down, so many issues. I suggest to look for a more technologically advanced, and more customer appreciative bank! Very disappointed!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I have only had this account for 3 months maybe and I am completely disgusted. The branches are helpful but any dealings with the contact center is unethical. Every two weeks before a paycheck they manage to find a way to trick me out of money. The mobile checking you cannot trust. Mobile account says one thing, mobile alerts say something totally different and you call in and they have no remorse. I have collected over 12 overdraft charges in exchange for using these services.

They do not process charges until 3-4 days later and go back and readjust and recalculate your charges at that time to cover up their scams. I imagine they get a lot of calls about this because every time I call the representative has a terrible attitude! There is so much to say that I'm sure wouldn't all fit here. I have already contacted my credit union to open a checking with them. At least I can trust my credit union!!!! Why is Suntrust still up and running??? I wish I knew a way to sue.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had a car loan with Suntrust Bank. After paying off the loan I had to call Suntrust loan department several times to get a pay off letter. It's horrible, pathetic and extremely bad service. Horrible service.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

We have been banking with SunTrust for over a decade and have always been pleased up to this past summer. We moved from Virginia to West Virginia in June 2018. Unbeknownst to us SunTrust closed all branches in West Virginia in the Spring of this year. I have been receiving my statements via email until this month. I did not receive September's statement so I called the main SunTrust phone number. The first woman I spoke with asked me for my SunTrust Credit Card number which I provided. She proceeded to tell me this card did not exist. I explained that I use it every day and not only make payments each month, I pay it off. I told her I was calling about my statements not my credit card although at this point I am beginning to get worried.

Long story short I had to hang up with this customer service representative and call back to get another, hopefully, more experienced one. The next one did focus on my reason for calling, but told me she did not know, nor her supervisor, why I stopped receiving my statements. She said she would mail me a copy of the statements. And that is how it ended. I still do not know why they stopped and now worried about all my accounts. I have already gone to a new Bank and plan on transferring all my accounts. I believe SunTrust is in financial straits. So best do your research first.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

My business acct. is attached to an overdraft line of credit. June 3, '18, I over drafted with fees $721. June 23rd, I paid $1100 to my overdraft account leaving $379.00 credit. In July, I over drafted checking by $200. I was charged automatically a OD service fee $3.77 and $6.00 finance charge. I asking them to waiver these fees as I have a CREDIT in this account and I was really NOT overdrawn if I am using my own money.

Tatiana could not see the benefit of discussing this waiver of fees as she was focused on WHY the bank could not credit me back anything. "That is just our policy" she said. I noted that I am a 33 yr. client to the bank with 4 accounts. I have had many, many, credit card and bank customer service people who would and could return fees. In this case, POLICY that she was taught was all she could focus on... I can't wait until block chain happens to banks as these policy and not process robots will cease to exist!!! My Goodness...banks (the ultimate money middlemen)...

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Last year we decided to apply for a Suntrust Equity Line of Credit which was approved. We did not need to use the credit line as of yet, but wanted to have it on hand. The last line of credit we used over $65,000 and paid it back. I recently received a $65.00 deduction of our account. I spoke to our account manager and she stated that this is going to be the yearly charge for having the equity line available to us. So, you have to pay to keep an equity line. I will be moving my vehicle loan and looking for another equity line of credit so I can close this as soon as possible. Very unsatisfied with Suntrust.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

When making payment on my account. The amount taken out of my checking about was 3 times the amount which should have been taken out. When asking for refund was told it would be sent in 7-10 days. They would not refund to my checking account from which it came or overnight. When I called back to see when the check was mailed, I was then told I had to wait 5 days before they could send it out, which meant a total of 12-15 days. This is unacceptable service. I would never do business with this institution again. I gave 1 star, only because I was not able to give less. I would stay clear of this banking institution.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Attempted to open account with Suntrust (didn't read reviews first... that was my first mistake). They opened the account, took the initial deposit, and then closed the account for absolutely no substantial reason. Representative just kept saying it is their right to end the relationship at any time. What the heck? Been doing business for over 25 years and never had any account terminated with any company...ridiculous. Don't waste your time.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

It seems that every time I check my balance the mobile app is having maintenance problems. Suntrust is a large bank that seems to be out of touch with its customers. Been with ST for over 40 years. Past time for a change!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I had fall for the scam of so called "checking account promotion" Suntrust bank ran between January 03 and May 01 2018. The terms and condition of the offer were to open a checking account, deposit at least 100$ within 14 days and $2000 via direct deposit within 60 days, if the conditions are met - there would be $500 deposited into my account. I CAREFULLY read all the fine print, as well as just general terms of the promotion. I also took a screenshot of these rules and confirmation of the account opening page just to be sure nothing is missed. I had a time stamp that also showed that the screenshots were taken within the time of the promotion. I had deposited $100 within 2 days of account opening, $6000 in my account via direct deposit within 60 days and continued to do so later.

After 3 months no promotion was deposited. So I called the customer service and they told me there was another condition - there was supposed to be 10 debit card transactions. Nowhere in the terms and conditions that was mentioned. So I opened a complaint case that was research by marketing team. Originally I was told someone will get back to me within 2 days. Then they said it's going to be 5 business days. Then someone called me and said someone will get to me within 15 days. When Matai ** finally did call me, over 2 weeks later since I opened the case, I had sent her the screenshots and all the data I had, just to receive a denial couple of hours later. Her manager Amy ** also was not helpful and completely disregarded the information I presented.

I had spent hours on the phone trying to explain that I have the proof that I followed the terms and conditions, but they did not want to listen and refused to stick with the rules that they defined stating that no bonus will be given, yet they would not be able to answer where would I get the screenshots from if this information was never posted. On the top of that, I was charged 25$ maintenance fee!

AVOID THIS BANK AT ALL COSTS. These people are scammers and have the worst customer service, very slow response and absolutely not customer oriented. I was going to apply for mortgage here, thinking must be a good bank since they run such a great promotion. Well, not anymore, I will be closing the account faster than speed of light. THE BANK IS A SCAM, TAKE YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE! Do yourself a favor and DO NOT fall for any of their so called "promotions', these are the scam just so they can get some of your money and your information so they can later sell it and flood your mailbox with other "great offers".

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

On June 21, 2018 I noticed there was 4 charges on my account that I didn't authorize at all and early Monday morning 25th at 6:18 am I received an text message alert for a $962 charge so it asked was it me or to stop it so I stopped it and went inside a branch on Hacks Cross Rd in Memphis TN where I spoke with bank manager to file a complaint and as we were on phone with Suntrust fraud department they said 4 other charges were trying to go through so they stop it now. My claim for the other 4 was filed and I was waiting on a phone call which Suntrust never called and they send me an email decline my case so I filed an rebuttal form. 3 weeks after received a called and email to contact investigator over case.

Once again declined my case. Again claiming not enough documents from me to prove my case but I did my own investigation and got my own money back which the jerks at Suntrust paying someones else bills and they didn't even investigate my case. I withdrawn all my funds and closed my account. I had this problem with Suntrust before so I gave them the benefit since I had this account for 11 yrs and they wonder why I never gave them my businesses accounts or savings accounts. Never. This is a terrible bank to trust with your money. They don't care about you. I don't know who's the worst. Suntrust or Wells Fargo. Both needs to go out of business.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I opened an account online with Suntrust. Friday August 10 I went to a local branch to deposit a payroll check on a bank with a large local footprint. Because the bank the check was written on is a prominent bank, the teller informed me that the funds would be available the next day. The following morning at 7:25am I received an email from Suntrust stating that the funds are available. I get dressed and drive fifteen minutes to the closest open branch only to be told that the funds are on hold until August 18! Of course I was furious. The bank manager was at a loss to explain the email I received from Suntrust as well as why it's going to take five business days until the funds are available on a payroll check from a prominent bank. As soon as those funds are available that account will be closed. You don't play with people's money like that.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

This company tries to get you for your money. Then when you call customer service they don’t even try to help you. They charged me fees after I transferred money. They think they are slick. Little do they know I know someone in the banking industry and they know the tricks on what they do to get extra money by holding things until it’s a lower amount then process. Worse bank!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I went to a branch in Maryland last week and opened an account on behalf of my minor son in order to receive social security benefits. A few days later when I went to check on the account deposit I was told my account closed. The only reason provided was due to their rules and regulations. When I spoke to a supervisor in customer service I was told Suntrust can use their own discretion and close any account for any reason or no reason. I spent 6 hours in the social security office setting up and providing this new account information. Just to find out the next day my accounts were closed. I did nothing wrong and do not owe anyone any money.

Now I have to go back to social security and a new bank and do this all over again. DO NOT TRUST this bank!!!! They will do the same to you. I have read at least 23 other complaints about Suntrust bank doing the exact same thing to other customers. Apparently they don’t want to do business with you if it’s a social security check! BEWARE of this bank. Now I don't have any money to feed my son and get him school supplies and clothes. How can Suntrust bank keep doing this to people.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I went online to open account. I usually go in to do business like that but I put my trust in it this time because I had no way so the account was open. They said I owe some cash. After I call the next day to confirm I was told it was ok so I went to the bank. Deposit the check. Once they got their cash they immediately close it. Ok I was ok. That is their rules. So I am trying to get my cash back. They said it was mailed out and it take up to 5 days. Well it's over that and now I am being told it's up to 10 now. Mmm. I have bills due and I am getting the run around. I am so very displease with them but I would like to say thanks because it is truly a learning experience. I see why my parents didn't trust putting their cash in a bank. It was not hard for them to deposit but it's hard for them to give me my cash I earn. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I opened up this checking/savings account online. My permanent address is in Miami, FL but I am Currently Not In Florida, I am in Texas for the next 6 Months for work (so there Is Not A Suntrust Branch Location In Texas & I Cannot Fly To Florida Due To Your Incompetence). When I opened this account I gave the representative the address I currently reside at in Texas and requested my Debit Card be mailed here - he said, "No problem." When I did not receive it a week later I called again and was told that my new address could not be verified so my debit card was sent to my old address in Florida, I let the rep know that I had already submitted a change of address form with USPS and he said the card should get to me fine (after all, I did receive the separate PIN number already).

Then another week and no debit card, but received a text from Suntrust saying my debit card was returned by USPS. So again I just called to asked if they could send my card to the right address. This person made no sense because I was told the only way I can get my card mailed to my new address is to fly to a state that has a branch and talk to the people there. What?? Then I was told that I needed the right kind of cellphone service because mine doesn’t match my account even though it’s the same number I opened this account with.

It’s 2018, people do not need to physically walk into a branch to get a simple address change- especially in my case where I told you from the beginning that I need my debit card sent to my present address in Texas - it’s wrong of your company to just ignore that request “for my security” and just decided to send the card to my previous address that I no longer live at. Then to not know how to help me when I called when that is exactly what your text message instructs me to do. If I can’t get my debit card mailed to the right address (the address I have with USPS) then I do not want to do business with your company. This is the worst experience I have ever had with a banking institution and you guys need to do better.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I went to the Suntrust branch located at 581 East Highway 50, Clermont, FL 34711. I used the drive thru and had to wait for over 20 minutes after I gave the deposit slip to the teller. Because it was taking so long, I pressed the call button. The teller was displeased and his answer was "If you are in a hurry, next time use the ATM machine". I have many options to do banking with; I certainly don't appreciate his rudeness. As a customer, I have the right to decide whether I want to use the teller or the ATM. I am not sure if the teller realizes that he has a job because customers like me prefer to use the teller service. I can easily bank with Ally Bank that is an online banking and it has an outstanding customer service!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I had a car loan from Suntrust from Five Star Cadillac. I made two payments every month for 8 months until I called for a payoff & found out This bank does not have a special line to make extra payments, so only 3 of my payments were applied to the principal. Being very upset, I went to my bank to pay off this loan. My bank applies all extra payments to the principal balance. I lost about $1,000 because of their neglect. Please be careful.

Suntrust Company Information