2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions
SunTrust (Now Truist)

Suntrust (Now Truist)

3.2/5 (640 ratings)

About Suntrust (Now Truist)

SunTrust (now Truist) is a bank with a full range of online services, as well as in-store offerings in select locations nationwide. SunTrust provides multiple mortgage types, refinancing and other loan options. You can apply online for its standard and unconventional mortgage products.

Top SunTrust (Now Truist) Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust (Now Truist)?

Verified

I've been with Suntrust for 20 years. They provide a wonderful variety of accounts… They have financed the last 3 houses I've purchased and always had the lowest interest rates......

Verified

I've banked with SunTrust, now Truist, ever since I've had a bank account, so for the past 17 years. They have great customer service. I like how they are located in some Publix S...

About SunTrust Bank online banking

SunTrust Bank offers full-service online banking and some physical locations and ATMs. Its two types of checking accounts, Essential and Advantage, feature 10% cashback loyalty bonuses when linked to SunTrust Bank credit cards. It also provides overdraft protection for linked accounts, free online bill pay for checking accounts and some waived overdraft fees. Its savings accounts come with free identity protection and credit monitoring through IDNotify by Experian.

SunTrust Bank offers three types of rewards credit cards: cash, travel and prime rewards. You can link any of these to a SunTrust Bank savings or checking account for a loyalty bonus of up to 50%. All SunTrust Bank credit cards link to digital pay methods, including Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay, Garmin Pay and Visa Click to Pay. The bank also offers a secured credit card, which lets you deposit a certain amount so you can earn cashback rewards for purchases up to your set limit.

SunTrust Bank services

You can open SunTrust Bank accounts and apply for credit cards online, or you can visit a branch if there’s one in your area. SunTrust Bank’s loan officers can also walk you through its vehicle financing, debt consolidation, home improvement, personal loan offerings and mortgage and home refinancing loan options.

SunTrust Bank also has an enhanced online investment platform with no advisory fees (brokerage commissions apply) for those who want to invest no more than $50,000. If you’re a DIY investor, you can manage your portfolio and execute trades with this tool. The bank also offers private wealth management services and a client advisory center for larger investments.

SunTrust Bank fees

Both SunTrust Bank’s Essential and Advantage checking accounts require a $100 balance to open, and both have monthly maintenance fees:

• Advantage accounts cost $20 per month unless the account has $3,000 in monthly direct deposits or you maintain a $10,000 balance across all linked accounts.
  • Essential accounts cost $7 per month, which is waived if you maintain a $500 balance or have $500 or more in monthly direct deposits.

The SunTrust Bank Advantage money market savings account comes with a $17 monthly fee, which is waived if you have a balance of $10,000 or more or with a $100 monthly transfer or electronic deposit. SunTrust Bank overdraft fees are $36 ($12.50 per transfer for overdraft protection).

SunTrust Bank FAQ

Does SunTrust Bank offer free checking?
SunTrust Bank waives the monthly maintenance fee for checking accounts with a balance over a certain amount. Accounts with direct deposits that meet the minimum are also eligible for fee waivers.
Does SunTrust Bank let you overdraft?
SunTrust Bank offers overdraft protection; you must accept this service when opening your account in order to be eligible.
How much can you withdraw from SunTrust Bank?
The daily ATM withdrawal limit for SunTrust Bank’s Essential checking account is $500; the limit is $1,000 for the Advantage account.
Where is SunTrust Bank available?
SunTrust Bank has branches in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Washington, D.C. Its online services are available nationwide.

Is SunTrust Bank a good bank?

Though SunTrust Bank doesn’t have branches in all states, it offers full-service online banking nationwide. If you’re hoping to build credit, SunTrust Bank’s secured credit card with cashback rewards might be a good option. The bank charges for its checking accounts, but if you meet the minimum account balance you’ll receive a monthly fee waiver. It also offers loyalty bonuses for linking credit cards to savings and checking accounts.

SunTrust (Now Truist) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunTrust (Now Truist)?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust (Now Truist)?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

I've have three accounts with SunTrust now Truist for years. A mortgage, a loan, a credit card and two checking accounts. I have never been late or had any problems until I they switched to Truist. I paid off my mortgage, loan and credit card. My credit card had purchases and cash advances. I paid it off and got a check in the mail for overpayment.

When checking account online I found I was charged interest from the date I paid it off to the end of the cycle. I called and got this customer service rep. that was very curt and rude. Who said, "If you check your statement info is there." I said, "You can't charge me when account is paid in full." He just kept saying check your statement. Obviously he had no idea on how to explain the problem. He should get lessons in customer relations and probably some sensitivity training. No, I don't get offended easily but I was a Vice Presidents of a bank and very familiar with how to treat customers you want to keep. Apparently Truist isn't interested in keeping customers. I said I wanted a manager. He went to get one and lo and behold now I have a credit on my account again. Very poor service.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

I don't have an account but someone used my name/address to open an account with BBT and there's an $250 charge. I called since the bill keeps coming to my address. The gentleman named Brandon agreed this was a fraud since I am in California and there is no service/branch from BBT or TRUIST. I thought the case close but now TRUIST starts sending me bills. Called numerous times the customer services, one can't locate the account number since it has been transferred to recovery branch. Another one provided me the number for the fraud department. Three attempts to call but no one answered, each waiting for 45-60 minutes. There is no other communication except the phone. What is wrong with this TRUIST bank!!!! What a shame!

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

An employee of Suntrust/Truist gave someone confidential access to our account allowing them to change the address on our account and withdrawal over $2,000.00 in cash. We notified them immediately while the charges were still pending. In the meantime they facilitated transferring our savings to checking so the thieves could steal more. They refuse to restore the money to our account. My advice to you is if you have a Suntrust Truist account move your account immediately to a safer institution better educated in avoiding social engineering scams. I give Suntrust Truist a negative one million stars.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

My mother, who's had a Money Market Savings with SunTrust for over 20 years, was recently diagnosed with health problems that required me to take over her finances. I knew she had a SunTrust account with tens of thousands of dollars stored therein. Visited 2 branches, neither manager was able to locate it by address or SSN. A corporate exec Derek again told me no account exists. Until the next month when change of address produces a statement mailed to my house. I set up online access that's immediately disabled. I was then asked to leave the branch when I produced the statement. This is all after their own legal department verified my POA. They are overtly attempting to hold onto her assets. I'm assuming to prevent a dip in holdings during the merger. Either way, it's dishonest and unethical. Do not bank here, fair warning.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

STB failed to notify me of their online banking conversion. I’ve been calling their 800 number since about 4:30 this afternoon and could not reach a human. About 7:30 pm I finally reached a human that could not speak English and had no clue why I could not access my bank account. After many hours I figured out it was because the bank shut down the ST website and we need to use Truist. Why were customers not notified and why weren’t your employees notified to let your customers know this? Are you a bunch of morals??? Seriously?? I can’t talk with anyone until Monday now! Seriously???

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

The way this merger has been rolled out over months and months, all the ** guys at the top need to be fired. I have had nothing but problems with online and mobile banking since they decided to merge technologies. I understand some downtime, but not consistently during the day and early evenings. No one is offering an explanation from Truist or SunTrust from the top. Over and over you try and get to Truist, it tells you to use Suntrust. You use Suntrust and URL redirect bounces you out and you can never login. This is totally unacceptable. If you have shipped your technology overseas then get it back and get U.S. employees on a bridge to fix this crap and inform your customers. What's the problem, you people can't think outside the box and throw up a web page saying site is down at the moment?

After 20 years with Suntrust, Bank of the South before that, I will be moving my money someplace else. I may not be in the top 1% but I will be voting with my feet. This is the worst compilation of two companies I have ever seen. And pull your customer service back to the states too. We are tired of having to communicate with localities that don't understand English. Take a lesson the rest of you financial institutions and all who ship call centers across the pond.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I have had Suntrust payroll for many years. Not until Truist took over Suntrust did I have long phone delays for payroll assistance. I was just on hold 50 minutes and had to move forward with the payroll without the assistance I needed. I have complained multiple times by sending emails. Once a supervisor contacted me. I said, "You need to either ask your employees to answer the phone or hire more employees." I just called the number on google to get the corporate phone number or email address for Truist. Customer care and her supervisor said there is only an address. How convenient as they can lose your letter. I will be shopping for another payroll company. I gave them a 2 stars as they are helpful when you get them. The service under just Suntrust was a 5 before the merger.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

It does not matter what time of the day you call, you are slammed on hold for upwards of half an hour. Automated voice says your wait time is 25 minutes, now at 45 minutes. Terrible do you not have enough staff?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Echoing many of the other reviews here. STAY FAR AWAY FROM SUNTRUST. Customer service is a mess. I had a payment incorrectly applied and then 2 months later got calls from "Home Preservation" wondering why I was behind on my payments. I wasn't but somehow a payment I made was applied to principal and was not considered a monthly payment. This was all in their records and the people I talked to could see it but the mighty computer still trumped everyone and said I was behind and even with all of that I was threatened with a negative report on my credit so I had to make another payment I couldn't afford. This was over a year ago and many many many phone calls later I cannot get this resolved. Their records still show I was a month behind for 2 months. A refinance attempt was tanked because of that. I had to wait a few months before I could refinance.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

So just closed on a home loan that got scooped up by Suntrust now Truist. All I can say is 'wow'. Set up my online account with no problem... until I tried to set up a recurring payment. Allowed me to put in all my information, bank account number, etc. Then it just has a square that says 'hold tight' and spins forever with no way to move on. I tried to set it up 5 different ways, even to just make a one time payment for my loan. Same thing each time. Had to call to try and set it up. Was on hold for 30 minutes, I was told the only other way I could set up a recurring payment was through being mailed the forms for me to fill out and then send back. This bank should not be in operation. Period. It is not even equipped to take payments?!?! I'm just beside myself. Trying to figure out my options...

SunTrust (Now Truist) Company Information