Suntrust (Now Truist)

SunTrust (Now Truist)
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.38/5

SunTrust (now Truist) is a bank with a full range of online services, as well as in-store offerings in select locations nationwide. SunTrust provides multiple mortgage types, refinancing and other loan options. You can apply online for its standard and unconventional mortgage products.

BOTTOM LINE

SunTrust Bank offers online services nationwide. Its checking accounts are free with a minimum balance or direct deposit, and its credit cards offer cashback and loyalty rewards for linked accounts.

PROS

• ID protection and credit monitoring
  • Generous loyalty bonus
  • Full range of services online

CONS

• Branches not available in all states
  • Balance minimums for free checking

Top SunTrust (Now Truist) Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust (Now Truist)?

I've been with Suntrust for 20 years. They provide a wonderful variety of accounts… They have financed the last 3 houses I've purchased and always had the lowest interest rates... Customer service and bank personnel are always very friendly and helpful.

I've banked with SunTrust, now Truist, ever since I've had a bank account, so for the past 17 years. They have great customer service. I like how they are located in some Publix Supermarkets and also in branches. Makes it convenient either way.

About SunTrust Bank online banking

SunTrust Bank offers full-service online banking and some physical locations and ATMs. Its two types of checking accounts, Essential and Advantage, feature 10% cashback loyalty bonuses when linked to SunTrust Bank credit cards. It also provides overdraft protection for linked accounts, free online bill pay for checking accounts and some waived overdraft fees. Its savings accounts come with free identity protection and credit monitoring through IDNotify by Experian.

SunTrust Bank offers three types of rewards credit cards: cash, travel and prime rewards. You can link any of these to a SunTrust Bank savings or checking account for a loyalty bonus of up to 50%. All SunTrust Bank credit cards link to digital pay methods, including Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay, Garmin Pay and Visa Click to Pay. The bank also offers a secured credit card, which lets you deposit a certain amount so you can earn cashback rewards for purchases up to your set limit.

SunTrust Bank services

You can open SunTrust Bank accounts and apply for credit cards online, or you can visit a branch if there’s one in your area. SunTrust Bank’s loan officers can also walk you through its vehicle financing, debt consolidation, home improvement, personal loan offerings and mortgage and home refinancing loan options.

SunTrust Bank also has an enhanced online investment platform with no advisory fees (brokerage commissions apply) for those who want to invest no more than $50,000. If you’re a DIY investor, you can manage your portfolio and execute trades with this tool. The bank also offers private wealth management services and a client advisory center for larger investments.

SunTrust Bank fees

Both SunTrust Bank’s Essential and Advantage checking accounts require a $100 balance to open, and both have monthly maintenance fees:

• Advantage accounts cost $20 per month unless the account has $3,000 in monthly direct deposits or you maintain a $10,000 balance across all linked accounts.
    • Essential accounts cost $7 per month, which is waived if you maintain a $500 balance or have $500 or more in monthly direct deposits.

The SunTrust Bank Advantage money market savings account comes with a $17 monthly fee, which is waived if you have a balance of $10,000 or more or with a $100 monthly transfer or electronic deposit. SunTrust Bank overdraft fees are $36 ($12.50 per transfer for overdraft protection).

SunTrust Bank FAQ

Does SunTrust Bank offer free checking?
    SunTrust Bank waives the monthly maintenance fee for checking accounts with a balance over a certain amount. Accounts with direct deposits that meet the minimum are also eligible for fee waivers.
    Does SunTrust Bank let you overdraft?
    SunTrust Bank offers overdraft protection; you must accept this service when opening your account in order to be eligible.
    How much can you withdraw from SunTrust Bank?
    The daily ATM withdrawal limit for SunTrust Bank’s Essential checking account is $500; the limit is $1,000 for the Advantage account.
    Where is SunTrust Bank available?
    SunTrust Bank has branches in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Washington, D.C. Its online services are available nationwide.

Is SunTrust Bank a good bank?

Though SunTrust Bank doesn’t have branches in all states, it offers full-service online banking nationwide. If you’re hoping to build credit, SunTrust Bank’s secured credit card with cashback rewards might be a good option. The bank charges for its checking accounts, but if you meet the minimum account balance you’ll receive a monthly fee waiver. It also offers loyalty bonuses for linking credit cards to savings and checking accounts.

SunTrust (Now Truist) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SunTrust (Now Truist)?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust (Now Truist)?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

How often we criticize, how seldom we praise. Such is not the case with Karen **. She was so helpful and patient in helping me set up my online mobile app for my Truist banking accounts. My technical skills are only fair but nonetheless Karen walked me through everything that was required. I would have to assume that Karen is a highly valued employee of your fine company. I thought you might appreciate this complimentary feedback. I have been a customer since 2011.

Cozy

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I very much appreciate the customer service I receive. Minus one star, however, for their silly promotional email, saying all I had to do to get a free $600 was to open a savings account and deposit at least $100,000 in the next 7 days. Oh that's ALL?! :) And if you don't have $100,000 laying around, they even had a 'poor man's option', where you could deposit $10,000 and get $100. Jeez, I don't know why I never took advantage of these deals before....oh wait... that's right.... LOL! :)

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I've been with Suntrust for 20 years. They provide a wonderful variety of accounts (checking, savings, investment, credit card, mortgage, personal loans, etc). They have financed the last 3 houses I've purchased and always had the lowest interest rates. Even with their merger with BB&T, I have had no interruption in services. Customer service and bank personnel are always very friendly and helpful.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I have been banking with Suntrust since I moved to Florida in 2010. They are excellent! Their fraud protection is amazing. Both times my credit card was fraudulently used, they somehow knew and texted me immediately asking if it was me who made the charges. When they found out it was not me, they immediately shut the card off and returned my money. Very happy.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

Silver Spring was helpful. I explained what happened at another branch of Suntrust, court documents, Greenbelt. How the the lady told me, if I did not want to wait from the branch Manager I can take it to another branch. And she was not nice about it. I asked for a HQ phone number. I called when I got home and was given the silver spring number. The silver spring office told me to bring in my documents, copies will be sent to their lawyers and I will get a response. I can live with that.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

Suntrust, now Truist, has the poorest customer service call center. I have a mortgage account for more than 2 1/2 years. Always paying on time. Called their 800 number for assistance, but waited for over 30 minutes the first time calling. Hung up. Called repeatedly to speak to someone, any person. Each call, there was a significant wait. Even tried to give a call back number. Never a call back by anyone.

Why was I calling, you ask. There was a significant error made for property tax payment or should say the lack of a property tax payment on time and in the correct amount when it was made. You see, Suntrust, now Truist, is neither true or competent. They use a 3rd party firm to handle property tax analysis and tax payments. This firm made the biggest error and never informed anyone. They didn't properly pay our property tax bill, nor was it on time. We authorized county tax office to provide a tax bill to Suntrust who could act on our behalf. Taxes were impounded and part of monthly mortgage payment. We even made up a required shortage but the county did not get paid!! We got assessed penalties and given notice of default. You know what happens after that!!

Suntrust 3rd party firm is Core Logic, who admitted after successfully contacting a real live human that Core Logic, the bank's contractual tax department screwed up. The tax payment monies had been sitting in the account, unpaid while we suffered through legal notices and penalties from the county tax collector. Core Logic was, after direct personal conversation, convinced to pay the county taxes from the impound account. Quite a screwup, don't you think!! NO WAY, it gets worse. Core Logic then does an annual review and recalculation of monthly mortgage payment to determine shortages, if any. Their recalculation for taxes that would be due has resulted in a DOUBLING of taxes projected to be due!! DOUBLE, yes it is true, now TRUIST.

To add to the compounded mess, Core Logic, now part of the TRUIST Team as their tax department admitted the error and promised to perform an adjustment and recalculate the monthly mortgage within 5-7 days. That was a commitment by their tax department to us, the responsible mortgage payers. It has now been 45 days but there has been no adjusted tax amount (it is still double what the county has provided as taxes to be paid in 2020-2021). THAT's right, the mortgage payment is nearly doubled. Who knew, we know the P&I is a fixed amount, the only annual adjustment should be for projected or stated county property taxes due.

There is still no adjustment nor an explanation offered from Suntrust, now Truist or Core Logic, their tax department. As an act of desperation, tried calling but got transferred, put hold again and again. Yup, you got it, we got the Suntrust, now Truist Treatment!! It is worse than COVID, at least with COVID race against humanity, you know the winning horse is still "WE DON'T KNOW, right Dr Fauci!! Suntrust is not TRUIST or Competent.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I am Jerome **, a customer of SunTrust Bank. I'm writing today to get some help in my matter. I have two bank accounts with SunTrust. Not a large amount of money But I have my Social Security Disability check Deposit in my account every month. To make a long story short one of my accounts had an overdraft. So I went into two Branches to close my account. But Was not successful. On November 25 2020 Day Before Thanksgiving suntrust withdrew $294.34 from my account. That was all the money I had in my account. If I was notified from the collection Dept. that this was going to happen I would have made some arrangements. To pay the overbalance from my other checking account.

At this time of the pandemic it has left me and my family in hardship. I feel this is not Morally right and humanity right. That is just my feelings. I have spoken to a number of Suntrust associates November 25 But with no help. This is why I'm reaching out for your help in this matter today. I'm willing to make my overdraft right. But also I need my money that was withdrawn from my checking account. (THIS IS A EMAIL I SENT SUNTRUST BANK.)

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Suntrust is absolutely the worst bank I have ever did business with. Back in JULY of this year (2020 before the pandemic) my account was closed out without any notice or reason at all. Before I called the bank to speak with someone for answers, I of course went through the motions of resetting my password because maybe I had forgotten it, or maybe my account was experiencing fraud. To no avail I called and I found out my account was closed abruptly and was under investigation. Ok, even if this was the case and I was being investigated no one contacted me prior to closing my account to let me know this was happening, I had not received a letter in the mail or anything of the sort.

I am completely and utterly disgusted with how I am being treated as a customer. I have spoken to representative after representative in hopes of finding out concrete answers as to why I was shut out of my account. No one at all was able to provide answers. During a global pandemic (and even if it was not a pandemic), I believe business should not be handled in such a poor fashion. My account is closed, my funds are frozen, and I am left with no answers to any of my questions as to why. I do not believe anything strange went on with my account, however if the question arose of strange things happening with my account, as a customer I feel I should have been made aware.

If this is the way suntrust treats people that choose to bank with them then please, after this so called investigation SHUT DOWN MY ACCOUNT! I do not want to bank with an institution that treats their clients like garbage prior to the end of the findings in an ongoing investigation. My question is, when the investigation is done and they find nothing is wrong with my account what then? An apology? Ha! Keep it. Signed, A pissed American!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Having financial difficulties so I was allowed to withdraw $25,000 from my retirement account. Deposited into SunTrust and the very next day they “terminated” my account. I have no access to my money, I’ve been on the phone everyday and no one can help me. SunTrust can’t tell me why my account was terminated because it’s under investigation. I’ve tried to reach out to everyone possible and still no help. They have my money and won’t return it despite me giving them a copy of cleared check, statement from retirement account and my retirement representative calling them on my behalf. I reached out to Beau Cummins the CEO, he promised someone will call and nothing. I need help, I need my money.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Suntrust bank are the worst and scamming customers with different fees....I have been in this situation and neither the branch could not help me.... Final I have been told to navigate online account figure out myself...believe me the whole game was making difficult for customers so the bank will make money over fees....

Pls pls avoid Suntrust specially business account.

SunTrust (Now Truist) Company Information