Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.31/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Suntrust Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Suntrust?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I realized my checking account was on hold/closed on August 26 when I tried to make a purchase. I never received a call or letter from Suntrust Informing me my account was under investigation. I immediately called and spoke with a representative. The representative told me she could not provide me with any information other than my account is being investigated and Suntrust had decided to close my account. I asked for a timeframe as to when my funds will be mailed to me and the representative could not give me any information about that. I asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor echoed what the representative said. I ended the call. I called again on August 29. The representative told me that the account was still under investigation and that no timeframe can be provided.

Today, September 9, I called and spoke with two representatives. The first, finally told me my account had been under investigation since August 17. She also told me the investigators had 15 days to be settled. It has been well over 15 days. I asked to speak with a supervisor who echoed the same information but could not provide a date or timeline. I have tried to resolve this issue several times. The representatives have been rude, inconsiderate, unsympathetic, unapologetic, and unprofessional. On several occasions I have asked to speak directly with the investigator. I was told that is not possible. We are in the middle of a pandemic. This is all the money I have to support myself and son. Suntrust has caused many of my auto payments to be returned even though I had the funds available in my account. This has caused me several hundreds of dollars in fees. Have been more than patient.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

Like many others that have posted a review, after 20 years of banking with SunTrust we were advised yesterday they no longer wished to do business with us and closed our accounts. On the phone for two hours, transferred to six different people and no one could tell us why. We have never overdrafted our account but our debit cards had unfortunately been skimmed many times over the years. No warning just shut us down while we were out of town. Unbelievable.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I reported a fraudulent deposit made into my account. Suntrust reacted by deciding they no longer wanted to do business with me. They denied me access to visibility of my remaining funds, stopped payment on previous authorized items, denied me any access to any other funds that was there to survive. My credit card companies are closing my accounts because their payments were returned after posting to my accounts. They are also charging me late fees and charges for the returns to make accounts over the limit.

My arrangements for vehicle payments have been reneged on and collectors are calling. My rent is past due and I am facing eviction. I do not have gas money to even get to work or money to buy food for my family. Did I mention I have money that is mine in the bank. They told me they may send me a check for the balance in about 15 days. That won’t undo the distress I am going through with my family or the damaged relationship with my creditors that will cost me for years to come.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I opened my account with Suntrust exactly a month ago because I wanted to take advantage of the promotion they had for their checking account. Yesterday I received my direct deposit into the account and I did a Zelle transfer that night. My account was placed on hold, cool right. In the morning I log in to look at my balance, so I see that all of my money is there. I get to working and decide to call them in the afternoon to resolve the zelle hold. Later in the day I received two emails to contact them, etc. I call and they tell me that only way they can lift the hold is if I go into the branch. 1. huge inconvenience to have to go into the branch 2. I was actually in another state working where there is no suntrust bank nearby, they would not give me access to my account at all.

Cool so the very nice customer service guy suggested I use Cash App to transfer my money out of the account in the meantime, since I could still use my debit card. I was able to Add $2000 to my cashapp balance and then they blocked my card with a remaining balance of $1500. I called and spoke to fraud prevention and they said my account was being closed due to misuse of the account. BEWARE THIS BANK!!! The customer service rep did mention I am not the only one going through this. Now I have to wait for the rest of my money, to see when they decide they see fit to mail my check. Surprised no one has sued them yet for mishandling of accounts.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

Today I initiated an order for checks. I was surprised that I was being charged. I never have in 22 years! I called my local branch and had to speak to a manager because the person I was talking to was suggesting I made a change to the account which caused this. The manager was no help either and suggested I caused this problem. When I informed her that I never changed my account and had never paid for checks before she said she would take care this time. I called corporate who informed me it was Suntrust who expired my account and no longer offer free checking. No notification. I explained that no free checking will cause me to go elsewhere. I'm shocked;

-22 year customer
    -no notification of a Co initiated change
    -Less than concern about losing my business
    -No offer of alternatives, sort of a too bad that's our process tone

-Contradictory reasons; You changed your account. (No I didn't, you did). To be followed up by 'we don't offer free checking anymore.'

We are currently documenting any direct deposits because if you cannot offer a resolution we will move on! You must be kidding me! I'm pleased you're doing so well that you're will to lose a 22 year customer. Thanks,

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

Helping a wounded Afghanistan Vet get his life back together. He became homeless when his house was destroyed in a tornado the week of Easter. Moved him in with me while insurance settled (which took a while to start with). The insurance company MET US AT THE BANK to deposit the check, and we started contacting people to tear down the house and clean up the trees, only to find the insurance check was NOT IN THE ACCOUNT it was deposited in. AT THE SAME TIME he got his backpay for his military disability deposited, which of course ALSO didn't show up in the account.

Contacting the bank we were told the account was locked due to "suspicious activity". We showed them the documentation that it was a Government Check and an Insurance Check, and they told us they would investigate it. That was in JUNE. We'd been told SEVERAL times to give them a few more days because the "investigation" was nearly complete. At the end of JULY (after three months of "investigating") we'd had enough and contacted a lawyer.

We went in last Tuesday to settle out of court on an amount THEY came up with. It was SUPPOSED TO be released by noon the next day. When it WASN'T we were told they were "having problems" with transfers (his account STILL shows a ZERO balance). Even his last month's disability check isn't showing. I was financially able to have him stay with me for about a month, and NOW because of this I'm BROKE, and haven't been able to pay this months rent or BUY FOOD. Not only will they STEAL YOUR MONEY, they won't abide by a legal settlement. SOMEONE there needs to go to JAIL....

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

Good luck in getting to your safe box in an efficient timeframe.... good luck with setting an appointment with the branch to get into your box. Good Luck with this cluster circus in general. The Suntrust/Truist/BBT Clairmont Road Atlanta is absolutely in complete disorder and a business model customer service disaster. Several Days, lots of hot cell phone minutes, and lots of run around hassels getting answers and failed commitments to access time sensitive materials in a tolerable manner.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

The amount which I had been saving for retirement for 30 years. Gone now. I am getting nowhere with SunTrust. I keep getting the runaround. No one knows or will tell me where my retirement fund has gone. This matter of "SunTrust now Truist" is showing how bad this merger is for their customers. I'm at my wits end trying to find out what they did with my money. No one at SunTrust, now Truist, will give me a straight answer.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

I've had a business account with Suntrust in Vero Beach Florida since 1995. Always in good standing, always with funds, but just received a letter they are CLOSING MY ACCOUNT with no reason given. Went to the branch and couldn't get any answers. Now I have to open an account with another bank and transfer my merchant accounts and all my autodebits. So much time and equity with this bank and this is how they treat me??? I wish I never used Suntrust, I am so disgusted with how they left me. They have changed, and everyone should look elsewhere for a bank that is dependable.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I opened up an account for my church. Received a deposit for a PPP loan to pay the young people at the church to run the virtual services due to COVID 19. I set up Quickbooks only to find out Suntrust closed my account due to fraud. TO DATE I HAVE RECEIVED NOTHING IN THE MAIL REGARDING THIS ACTION!!!! I have called every day about my account and still no answer. I even went to the bank and was told I would receive a notice in 7 to 10 days. No one will help me.

Suntrust Company Information