2. Finance
PNC Bank

PNC Bank

3.7/5 (660 ratings)

About PNC Bank

PNC is a banking service and mortgage provider. It offers its borrowers perks like interest rate discounts, cashback rewards and more. While it doesn’t operate in every state, PNC lets you manage your mortgage payments online. It does have credit score requirements for some of its loan products.

PNC Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: June 14, 2021

Love the virtual wallet application for PNC bank. Easy to use. Easy to transfer money. Easy to understand your balances and set up automatic transfer to alternate savings accounts or pay bills online. Great application that I feel safe using.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I had my refinance done with PNC bank, the whole process was smooth and stress free, my loan officer was Trent ** and my loan processor was Lauren **, oh my God what a great team they make, I was bombarding them with lots of questions and they were always available and reliable to answer any questions that I had. Trent is a man of his words, he explains the whole process and what is expected. I would strongly recommend him for any mortgage needs. Mrs **.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

My late husband and I had a joint checking account, and when he passed away, I had to remove his name from the account. The customer service people were very helpful in doing so. All our electronic bill pay information was linked to his password and username on the account (I had my own username and password but no bill pay information was linked to that). When I asked how to transfer all that bill pay information to my username and password, the customer service person told me that they normally don't do that but because we had been customers for such a long time, they made an exception for me and transferred everything. That was great because it saved me a lot of time if I would have had to redo all of it manually!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

They take care of my banking concerns in making sure all my needs and questions are answered with excellent customer service. I highly recommend them, it's like they are part of my family. They watch out for me catching things that I don't see.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

The associates, online and in-branch, are warm, professional, knowledgeable, helpful and courteous. Their products are exactly as advertised and banking is easy and convenient. For those of us who physically bank, their locations and hours are convenient and easily accessible.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

My mortgage was recently sold to PNC bank, (not my choice but I was not overly concerned) I have been with them a little over 1 month and they just pulled my mortgage payment twice! Normally I would say accidents happen BUT my sister's loan was sold to them at the same time and the exact same thing happened to her almost a month ago. She is still waiting on her refund!!! After calling them to complain we were told they have to hold the money for a certain number of days before refunding it. A mortgage payment is not a small amount of money. In my opinion they should have to return my money to me within 24 hours since it was their mistake. This is obviously something they do on a normal basis. I have already called my mortgage company to request a refinance immediately. If you must use PNC, Do not let them auto deduct your payment. They cannot be trusted!!

Original review: July 30, 2021

I deposited a $4500 insurance check on a Saturday and that following Tuesday the check was rejected because the check had my wife's first name after mine who wasn't on the account. I went to the bank Tuesday as soon as the bank opened to fix the error and was told I could not get the check or fix the error that I was to wait one to two weeks to get the check in the mail which already has my signature on the back. My bank policy doesn't state that PNC is supposed to do anything like that but it does say on none business days, ATM check deposits I would be allowed to withdraw a $100 of that check if it's under $50,000 I was not able to do that is well. PNC is a bank for the people it's a bank to store your money which you can find a place to store your money anywhere. I will never recommend PNC.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I signed up in the late 90s, early 00s. The reason for my change is my existing bank would charge ATM fees on ATM's not owned by my bank at the time. They had a handful of locations but wanted me to pay for not having the infrastructure anywhere else. PNC doesn’t charge ATM fees. Third party ATM’s could still charge you but it’s never happened to me. After switching and the amount of times I used ATM’s it was certainly worth the time investment making that change. For over a decade, things went pretty well. That in itself needed to be said because these days it’s pretty rare you can say that about business, seriously that has a lot of value.

Once banking fraud and security became a thing, PNC didn’t hold up on rolling with the changes. I was one of millions that was compromised from a data leak from Home Depot. That is not fault of the bank. But I discovered this as I was attempting to pump fuel, I was at work (traveling consultant). PNC refused to allow me to access my money or use the card in any way to purchase fuel regardless of the situation I found myself in. I was stranded, it was real bad. I had to call my boss and communicate that I need a ride and money, I’m not allowed to buy fuel per PNC. Also, the emergency I was headed too, you will need to pull someone off another job and cover because I can’t even make it home. Don’t think I need to paint a picture on how that went or how it felt working there moving forward. Certainly doesn’t come off as reliable/dependable employee does it?

I left PNC as a result. I returned 6 years later. After the replacement bank was bought for the 4th time just in the last year and a half, having to come in every couple months to update paperwork and dispute policy changes designed to be predatory I had enough. Been with PNC another 7 years. I haven’t had any fraudulent things occur on my account to test if the process has been improved. However, I did have to perform a charge back. I was ripped off on a purchase. The person I worked with at PNC was excellent at communicating the documentation I needed and things to look for that are important to include. PNC reimbursed me on the spot temporarily until investigation was complete. PNC confirmed my side of the story. It was quite a simple and easy experience. I appreciate that.

However for the last six years I had a lot of trouble accessing my money to the point it’s no longer practical to continue to use PNC. At least without at least a thirty minute phone call minimal to have an online banking password reset. It’s important to note I’m an I.T professional. This is relevant because most of my day is spent resetting passwords. Needless to say I document all my passwords to an excel sheet. Outside of needing a password reset once in 2001 for an old e-mail account I’ve never needed to have a password reset. Enter PNC Bank, Destroyer of online banking access.

Any device, any browser, any time. Never can get in. Type in the username and password absolutely correct. Even type it in to Notepad first to ensure no characters have been added. Account always locked or communicate the username or password is incorrect. Sometimes it will ask you for the last 4 of your social and send you a pin. Despite the information also being correct I never receive the text and it tells me the last four on my social is wrong. Did double check with the bank and they have my Social number correct along with right phone number.

The thirty minute investment is making the call to have it reset. Once reset it will work for about two weeks max. After that always the same. This has occurred over a six year period so many times I’ve had this conversation with PNC in excess of twenty times. Went so far to raise hell about it enough to start getting phone calls back about it. “We're looking into it, etc.” But nothing was ever resolved or followed up on.

Only once was I taken seriously, all chalking it up as “He must have forgot”. After three attempts the account is locked. It just so happened that after my account was reset it was locked immediately again while on the phone with them before I had the chance to sign on. It was believed someone was attempting to login to my account so we changed the username. We changed it to something pretty strange so the likelihood of anyone guessing a username like that would be pretty extreme. Still continued to happen, no access without a thirty minute + phone call each and every time.

Outside the frustration factor what’s that like in 2021? Someone drops a check off. Can't use mobile deposit with online banking, you receive a stimulus, hope you have at least thirty minutes. The worst case I had to rush to the gas station to get money orders because the car carrier uses a mainstream app to process the service but it required me to sign on to PNC online banking. All those things you can forget about, never going to happen. It’s simply not available. Technically it could be for a few days until someone or something locks it. In terms of what’s happening with PNC technical issues I have a few ideas due to my trade but it's only speculation.

If you don’t need access to online banking, honestly PNC is a pretty solid choice. My experience here has been pretty great on that front. However any technology changes such as online banking or new features if you depend on those things it’s not a practical choice. The time investment of thirty plus minutes each time and the hurdles required wouldn’t be so bad if it was a once a year thing instead of a weekly.

I’ve opened up a new account at a new bank. I’m still testing it. But thus far, week three I was able to sign on using both my phone and PC and always have access to my account so far. PNC the password reset lasted three days, I’ve had it last up to two weeks but it’s rare. In the next week or two when I have time I have to make the visit to PNC to close my accounts and move it to the new bank. Real chore getting all the accounts setup again for auto billing and direct deposit, etc. It really is a shame on the technology front. It has gone unresolved for six years and isn’t on the radar as a priority. That’s the pros and cons of PNC from a long time customer. I wrote this intended to send it via e-mail to PNC but they don’t have an email address available, guess if you have to wait at least a half hour it's a compelling gate keeper of communication to cut down the work. But again the issue is always disregarded.

Original review: July 12, 2021

PNC's fraud department marked a check counterfeit that was not counterfeit. My bank called to find out why and they are refusing to send my bank a legal copy of the non counterfeit check. Now I am stuck with a returned check fee.

Original review: July 10, 2021

This bank is very chaotic in organization & this leads to a very frustrating experience. Simple things like activating a credit or debit card can not resolved as advertised & requires long wait times to resolve. More detailed procedures are not acted upon immediately & require subsequent trips to the bank to resolve. Each representative I speak is not interested in resolving my issue & only seek to delay answering. I do NOT recommend PNC Bank. I doubt one could do any worse by banking with another bank.

PNC author review by Barbara Friedberg

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.

• Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.

• Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.

• Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.

• Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.

• Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor