PNC Bank

PNC Bank

3.4/5 (762 ratings)

About PNC Bank

PNC is a banking service and mortgage provider. It offers its borrowers perks like interest rate discounts, cashback rewards and more. While it doesn’t operate in every state, PNC lets you manage your mortgage payments online. It does have credit score requirements for some of its loan products.

PNC Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: June 15, 2022

Applied for a HELOC and working with the PNC Branch at Advent Ct, Waverly Place, Cary, NC. The process is fraught with confusion, there is no employee accountability. The communication is incomplete, poorly written, and unprofessional. The employees do not timely call back or call back at all. The Branch Manager is as bad as the employees. I submitted a package based upon their request, dropped it off at the bank with the Branch Manager, then receive a request for more information which contains the same information I've already provided. A complete waste of time and resources and no credit decision as yet.

Original review: June 6, 2022

PNC set us up with some service costing $53 per month called Pinacle. I then tried cancelling and getting a refund, which we were refunded the first time around. 2 months later, it was finally cancelled after calling again, but we received 2 more $53 charges before it was cancelled. Now...I call them to get refunded because we never signed up for the service. Every agent says a different department handles than... then crickets, the other department does not answer. If you know what's good for you, take your business to another bank that actually gives a crap. I'm sure PNC will be eventually bought out as well once they lose so many loyal customers.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 31, 2022

PNC bank cashed a check that I mailed out to pay a utility bill for $63.50 and was somehow stolen and altered and made payable to an individual I did not know nor have I ever met. Payable in the amount of $12,869.89. How the bank could justify payment in such a large amount for a check that was obviously fraudulent without the benefit of a phone call to me is beyond my comprehension as the check did not have my signature on it. As a result of the fraudulent activity on my personal checking account, I was forced to open new accounts which meant trying to update the new information with both of my 2 jobs as I am paid by direct deposit and changing direct deposits is not a transaction that happens overnight and as a result, my Missouri child support payment and a paycheck from one of my jobs were deposited into the hacked account.

I tried reporting the fraud to the local police who told me that despite the fact that some unknown criminal tried to steal close to $13k from me that they are unable to take a report because until I am able to tell them the exact jurisdiction where the check was presented for payment that a report could not be filed as the report will need to be filed in the jurisdiction where the fraud was committed. As of yet, PNC claims they do not know where the check was presented and To add insult to injury, when the fraud was discovered my hacked account was put on a "hard hold" and the PNC Representative I was working within the branch helped me to calculate the amount of outstanding items so that I could leave that amount in the compromised account just in case any of my other outstanding checks were presented for payment so that they wouldn't bounce and be returned to those merchants.

In the interim, the money that was taken from me was refunded but after the refunded amount was credited to my new checking account, PNC bank informed that they refunded too much and as a result, the compromised account was now overdrawn in the amount of $623.26 and that is AFTER I left $447 in the account to cover my outstanding checks which means that PNC bank is basically saying that they refunded an extra $1000 which is absolutely ridiculous because there is no way to refund money that isn't already in the account. And icing on cake, they refuse to close the compromised account since they claim it is overdrawn and want me to pay back the overdrawn amount.

If that isn't bad enough, since all of this happened so suddenly and I was forced to open new accounts, I did not have enough time to change my direct deposit information for a job that I get paid from EVERY week so my paycheck on 5/27 was deposited into the hacked account and my weekly child support payment from the state of Missouri was also deposited into the hacked account and PNC refuses to return these payments which were $174.12 - Missouri child support and $221.08 - wages from Amazon.

I've reached out to PNC Corporate and have received no response so I am now reaching out to the Attorney General for Missouri as well as the Better Business Bureau. I asked PNC to at a minimum to place stop payments on the 4 or 5 checks that are still outstanding as I've spoken to all of the merchants that those checks were mailed to and they ALL indicated that those payments were never received and when advising PNC to place Stop Payments on these checks they told me that to do so they would have to charge me $33 per check even though the fraud was not created by me, the customer.

I've been with PNC for 9 years and have never been overdrawn on any of my accounts and this is how they treat a good customer. I need help getting a return of the money that is owed to me, I need help finding out where the fraudulent check was taken so I can file a proper police report but most importantly I need to let other people know what happened to me so that hopefully this never happens to another hardworking person who entrust their financial institutions to protect them.

I have a copy of the altered check that was presented to PNC and how they put this instrument through without a proper signature is absolutely criminal and had I not caught the fraud when I did, this random person would have gotten away with stealing almost $13K from me and how this person knew I had that kind of money in the first place tells me that this was an "inside job" and PNC has a lot of explaining to do period. You cannot treat customers like this and think that it's ok to drag your feet in providing a resolution. What happened to me should not have happened and I want my child support payment and my employer wages returned to me immediately.

Anything you can do to help resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated as the bank keeps transferring me from department to department with no movement towards a resolution. What's happened to me is a crime of EPIC proportions and I'm not taking this lying down. PNC is complicit in the fraud against my account and I am currently seeking the advice of an Attorney.

Original review: May 23, 2022

My mortgage was picked up by PNC Bank and I'm definitely going to find a different place to transfer my mortgage to. This bank has semi frequent account issues. You have to constantly keep your eye on them to make sure they process your payment. I thought that was all automated, but apparently not. I have several times, noticed my mortgage payment did not go through, and have to deal with their lackluster customer service. Long waits, put on hold and never get back to you. This is the worst financial institution I've dealt with to date.

Original review: May 23, 2022

BBVA, my old bank, was bought out by PNC. I enjoyed and CHERISHED my banking relationships with BBVA: their customer service, problem solving abilities, positive attitudes, and let’s get it DONE way of doing business. That’s ALL GONE. I am constantly reminded that I am but a VERY, VERY SMALL PIECE OF… well, use your imagination, at PNC. Their online banking features are “not available at this time. Try again later” WAY TOO MANY TIMES A DAY. I’m imagining ANOTHER bank or credit union in my future. Bye bye PNC.

Original review: May 18, 2022

I had an emergency tonight and could not get money out of my account because of an update they do nightly. I spoke to Cust. Serv. & a Supervisor and they couldn't help me. VERY FRUSTRATING! I WILL BE SWITCHING BANKS TOMORROW‼️‼️ I DO NOT RECOMMEND PNC BANK if you call after 5pm weekdays, your SOL. Closed Sat & Sunday!!

Original review: May 14, 2022

I tried to get a Home Equity Loan through PNC. I was denied because my home was supposedly un-appraisable. A home that I have had since 2012 that has been appraised 4 times, a successful refinance and one VA inspection. PNC stated they have criteria that has to be made for an appraisal. What PNC wants is technically an inspection. After finding out why my home couldn't be appraised, I notified PNC that the appraiser had given them FRAUDULENT INFORMATION and that the appraisers never checked for anything that was on that list. Only measured and took pictures. One example is the appraiser said my home did not have a concrete foundation. You can literally look at one side of the house and see the concrete foundation. I still have the home blueprints that show it as well.

I asked for another appraisal to be done but PNC refused to do so and closed my application and said to reapply. My loan officer, who was awful and showed she didn't care, filed a complaint against the local appraiser after I made a huge deal about it but the bank still used the appraisers report to deny my loan. PNC also refused to give me a copy of the appraisal report or who the appraiser was which honestly by law they don't actually have to do on a 2nd mortgage. I used a local credit union the next day and got my home appraised and an equity loan in 3 weeks. It took 2 months with PNC to get denied. DO NOT use PNC bank as they will accept fraudulent reports and then turn a blind eye to it. No one will hold them accountable and then you get left behind.

Original review: May 11, 2022

They merged with BBVA Compass adopting and continuing to use their bad practices and extremely inconsistent and reckless business practices. They damaged my credit nearly 100 points and with no warning. There is the same lack of checks and balances that ruined Compass, leaving you with-just a terrible taste in your mouth. Countless calls and talks with lazy personnel that could care less about the loans they give you and false promises. I faced not only damage to my perfect credit but experienced that employees find gratification in not being able to handle problems with payments or refinancing etc or guiding you to someone to handle problems.

Original review: May 9, 2022

PNC is very convenient and great until you have anything that goes wrong with your account. I have had a horrible customer service experience over the last few days with PNC leaving me feel as if my accounts have no value to them. I will be closing all of my PNC accounts and going to a bank that does not hang up on their customers and ask "so why are you contacting me?"

Original review: May 9, 2022

I would like to brief about my wire transfer experience through with the PNC Wire transfer and my wire transfer was submitted post COVID time. This includes 2 instances where the first one involved submission at the bank and the second instance involved submission via the phone line. According to the PNC, the SLA for a wire transfer is 1-2 business days. However, during my first instance the bank posted my transaction on the 5th calendar day or 4th business day. And on the second instance, it was not posted yet and I'm already on the 5th calendar day (4th business day).

Most frustrating part is that none of the PNC wire transfer team is able to provide me the SLA on when the transaction will get posted in my account. I had been calling the team many times with no credible response. At times, I even felt that the bank reps are only interested in acquiring new customers than servicing the existing customers. PNC can be your bank of choice if you are only looking for self service options (ATM, Online) but I would recommend PNC as a preferred option any more if you need to get service at the bank or through their dedicated customer service line.

PNC author review by Barbara Friedberg

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.

• Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.

• Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.

• Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.

• Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.

• Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor