3.01/5

1052 PNC Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

In early 2018, PNC pressured me into getting another VISA credit card explaining that they could offer me a significantly lower rate. I planned on transferring my activity from the higher rate card to PNC's card. I was not transferring any significant balance (<$200). I tried to use their card for a cash advance at the branch in Allentown, Pennsylvania near Cetronia Road. They declined to do so - which is their right. And I called to cancel the card - which had absolutely no balance on it - which was my right. PNC Visa refused to cancel the card after the first call. And after several more phone calls, they told me they canceled it but would not send me confirmation. Two weeks after that call, PNC sent me a letter confirming the card was active and they were updating my address. I had better success with a PNC branch in Rockville.

Original review: April 24, 2019

They kept calling me over and over again about transactions that I made on my account. They even denied my transactions claiming that it was a protection policy and they eventually compromised my account without even asking me. Now I have to get a totally new number and change all of my credit card information for every website and for work and school. B.S.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I received a check from the college I attend and just last week cashed a check with no issue at the PNC on W Broad St in Columbus, Ohio. Today I went in with the same type of check (nowadays schools disperse checks in two payments, back to back) and received a lead worker named James. He gave me a hard time and said he needed to verify the check. Ok. I inform him that the gentleman next to him cashed the same check for more less than 2 weeks ago. He pretends to call and verify the check and after it ringing for about 10 seconds makes an moron comment that they are closed on a Friday at 1pm! Idiot.

I called PNC and they said that they are sorry and it is at the discretion of the teller to cash a check or not! I asked and what discretion would that be?! The guy had no reason not to. I smell good, I’m dressed nice, I conducted myself professionally. I have a professional desk job! Only thing I can think of is I am a minority! Don’t use PNC! If they can’t verify their own checks what in the world are they doing in the business?! Their own checks have no credibility then you know it can’t be that great of a bank. Highly disappointed! Won’t take my business nor my family’s back!!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Opened up a student account back in 2015 only to be told that they have no record of such activity. The worst part is that they do not seem to care or dont want to be bothered with a faulty situation made on their behalf. The integrity of PNC is compromised in my opinion. I will take my bank affairs elsewhere.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I thought PNC was a good bank until I woke up one morning with my bank account -70$ because of their crappy system. I talked to them on the phone and they had no concern whatsoever about trying to help me, all they wanted to do was tell me my transactions like I hadn't already seen them or couldn't get on my app and look at them. I have emails and texts proving their system was the reason I am in the negative status but they didn't care. OH and I still have to pay them for crap that was completely their fault! I am never going back! I wish I had've listened when everyone told me not to go through PNC!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had a car loan with PNC arranged by the dealer. I have never had an account or a loan with PNC before and what the heck. I traded the car on March 13 2019. The dealer had PNC fax over the 15 day payoff. So, we have it writing from PNC. I buy new car, Dealer pays off loan within 15 days (payment due on the 27th of March, 15th day after new car purchase). Plenty of time for the dealer to pay the old loan in full. What could wrong?

3 Days after the paid off loan payment was due, I get a call from an unknown number. I didn't answer, no voice message, another call same day, I didn't answer, no voice message. So I decided to look up the number. It was PNC. The next day another call from PNC, I was busy and didn’t answer and no voicemail. Again the same day, another call from PNC. This is 4 calls in 2 days, what the heck is going on. I answered. It was their collection department. Then proceeded to tell me I was late on my car payment (I have an 800 credit score, for a reason.) and demanded I make a payment over the phone now. I politely explained the car was traded and I will not be making a payment and the dealer has paid the loan in full and PNC collections department needs to check with their loan department.

I was then treated like a piece of loan dodging, criminal as they explained to me again my payment was late and I need to make it now. (Really? 3 days? Are you kidding me?) Well Again, I refused to make the payment (beware of this banking scam because if you think if you overpay you will get it back in 3 days, I doubt it, if you even see it) and then told them to never call me again that it is called collection harassment and against the law and if they had something they needed to communicate with me, then they could send me a letter of late notice. Again they said they would call me as much as they wanted and they were not breaking the law. (They are, I looked it up. Every state is different. In my state it is.)

I again explained the car was traded (a very reputable new car dealer). They said they didn’t care and again I need to pay them now. I again refused and told them to call the dealer. They told me to call. I hung up. Ok, I called the dealer. The dealer mailed them the payoff check on the 20th of March. 7 days after the trade and 7 days before the payment was due. They had the money. Ok, No more worries. Then the dealer looked up to see if the check had cleared, it hadn’t cleared. Come to find out, PNC sent the check back to the dealer stating it was short a few $$$ and wanted a new check for a specific amount.

Wait, this was all done with a 15 day payoff 7 days before maybe 4 or 5 before the 15 day payoff amount. How can this be? Scam? I think so. Milk the dealer for a few extra bucks knowing if they want the title, the dealer would have to pay the ransom. PNC could have cashed the check and asked for the balance before the title could have been sent. Come on PNC, it’s not like you have never closed a loan for a new car dealer before or the dealer is going to rip PNC off. So the next day the dealer sent another check for the amount requested using next day delivery.

The next day they called again, I didn’t answer, no voice message. They called again same day. (6 times in 3 days) So I answered again, same collection assault and tactics, rude, degrading, attitude and insulting. I then asked for a manager, which was like pulling teeth but they finally sent me to a manager but only after I had to repeat 15-20 time “transfer me to a manager”. Well, the manager was just as rude as the 1st tier grunts. I then proceeded to tell him to never contact me again. It was illegal, send me a letter if you need something. Again, they didn’t want to hear anything except how I was going to make a payment I didn’t owe that was 4 days past due but was paid.

Finally I was so mad I made it clear and confirmed it was being recorded (just in case I had to get a lawyer involved). I then stated, in no calm voice, they were never to contact me again via phone. They were in violation of collection laws. I knew they refused payment and sent the check back to the dealer just to try to collect more interest on a loan and even scam me out of addition payment money that I did not owe because when they sent the check back to the dealer, they were in fact refusing payment...

I told them if they ever called me again, my next conversation would be with a lawyer who would then contact them with a court date. Never, ever deal with bank, even if you have a higher interest rate. I will never deal with PNC again and I have advised everyone I know about this event and PNC scam tactics and practices.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have been a co-signer on a student loan for nearly twenty years. Every time a payment needed to be made, I stepped up and made the payment. Then I became disabled and had to retire. Though I still made payments when I was required to do so. PNC decided the balance of about $4000 needed to be paid immediately. Since I had lost half of my income I couldn't pay that amount. However, I did pay $1000 that caught my nephew up on the account. At that time, the collection agency agreed that they would not report me to the Credit Bureau. That was lie #1. I tried to refinance my mortgage for lower interest, but cannot because of this.

I just spoke to Marcia from PNC, who said she could not remove this from my credit report. Lie #2. Lie #3 is that you would be informed of this reporting. Marcia didn't take into consideration all of the payments I'd made over the years, nor did she show an ounce of compassion. So all of my years of hard work, and excellent credit is down the tubes. Of course I do not recommend PNC Bank. And unfortunately, when Marcia gets old, she will remember why she has so many financial struggles. Miss Gail

Original review: April 8, 2019

RIDDLE: Why does PNC Bank get One Star reviews? ANSWER: Because you can't give them ZERO. The WORST telephone waiting time. The LEAST knowledgable customer service agents. The WORST customer satisfaction. When I complained about customer service the answer I got was "due to the high points they give, it is too expensive to provide customer service."

Original review: April 6, 2019

Have been a fan of the bank's reward program. Saw Ruby Tuesday - 10% cash back - up to $14 cap. So I took friends/family out a put on debit card $111.82. Next month PNC only gave back $6. Called several times and wrote online but after several people to escalate was told cap is now $6. Couldn't wouldn't do anything. So be warned - call before you use the reward and takes names.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Well someone spent money off my card over a thousand miles away. The card was shut off ASAP, that was good. Problem was trying to get it resolved. Been on phone way to long as it is, I keep having to call back because I am on hold so long the call drops or they hang up trying to answer. They are not trained enough or not staffed with enough employees but took me over an hour on phone just to dispute transactions where someone took my money. In total may take me a month to get it back. Last legal transaction I authorized was Hulu by the way.

PNC expert review by Barbara Friedberg

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.

• Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.

• Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.

• Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.

• Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.

• Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.

• Best for: PNC is best for customers who live near a PNC Bank branch. For those consumers, PNC is a viable banking solution for those seeking a full-service bank with investing access.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg