PNC Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have encountered a problem with my online banking for OVER 18 months and still PNC tells me they put my problem to their escalation department. I got into the bank, talk to people there, the escalation department calls me, but nothing is ever resolved. I found out recently they use a third party to fix issues like mine, then I was told no they are handling it internally. Then about two weeks ago, I had yet another online banking issue. I have a platinum account with PNC which sounds pretty impressive right? The kids just opened accounts, and we have CD's and other accounts with PNC. You would think we might be a good enough customer that PNC would want to resolve the issue. But nothing happens.

Basically I cannot go in and see history of vendors. So for example if you want to see how much you paid say Best Buy for a period of time, you cannot call up the individual vendor let alone a specific period. I am self employed so I use or rather used to use this feature all the time. I buy items on 6 months or 12 months same as cash frequently, and it's handy to be able to see at a glance how much I have paid toward the balance so to avoid finance charges. I also use it at end of the year for taxes and my allowable deductions.

My second problem is now when I pay online, the PRINT button is gone. Literally gone! So I have to either hand write the receipt, do a screen shot or take a photo with my smart phone and then print one of the latter two items. If PNC cannot handle simple program bugs like this, how safe is my or your money at PNC? They do dominate retail banking in Pittsburgh. They are nice to your face, but results are all I want. And I am no closer to a resolution from 18 months ago, than I am today on July 12, 2017.

Don't use PNC. Their transactions lag and they are not helpful at all. I deposited money in my account and it's not showing on my end. They wanted me to delete my cookies and I told them I shouldn't have to because it's not even working on my mobile app, so the problem is on their end. I was transferred to a specialist who tried to fake sympathy and failed miserably. She said my account is in the negative and yet I am unable to see it at all. How is that helpful? SO in the end it's on them and not on me. You bet you but I am closing this account and never using them again. I would encourage others not to use them as well and instead use Chase, B of A or any there one beside this one.

I owned a PNC account when I was living in Pittsburgh, and when relocated to Dallas TX I misplaced my debit card. It takes two weeks for me to receive my debit card. Horrible customer service, I will not recommend.

Been a customer for at least 6 years. They automatically transferred my free checking account to a standard checking account. They claimed they email me the change but in fact what they mean is that they send an email notifying you that a statement is available if you log into your account. So, there's 2 steps you have to do. Find an email from PNC bank and then look at the statements. Today, people get tons of email, no one is able to read them all. At the very least, the email should say either fees have been withdrawn from the account or there has been activity in your account. That way customers would check to verify. The fact that it looks like an ordinary email regarding your account allows the bank to STEAL money. They only send you an actual letter once they depleted ALL of the funds. How is this legal???

The local bank rep passed me along by telling me to call the 1888 number to get it fixed and I got the same BS that it's my responsibility. To me that's like saying, if I was getting pickpocketed, it's my fault, I should have been paying more attention to my surroundings. I offered to remain a customer if they return my money and I'll add money, but they rather take my money they STOLE over 3 year. I closed the account.

Toward the end of PNC online app for opening checking account, I changed my mind. There was never a submit or confirm button to click on that would have lead me to believe I had executed the application. Never-the-less, soon after I received an email from PNC confirming that I opened an account. Despite the ambiguous online application process that lead to this inadvertent attempts to close it with the local branch as well as with an escalation specialist, I am forced to leave the account open with a $500 minimum balance for 6 months unless I choose to pay a $25 fee! Ridiculous. They refused to waive this paltry $25 given the unusual circumstances. Will never recommend this bank!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

I wish there was 0 or negative scores also. The PNC Bank deserves the negative point. Never ever open an account with this bank. The employees of this bank know nothing. Never ever trust their answers. Check the answer with several people and if you can check it yourself. Even very simple questions. I think their employees did not go to even high school. Even if they had normal IQ, they could learn during working.

I've been a customer of PNC Bank for quite amount of years but today was the big hit where I would NEVER bank with PNC again. Customer service isn't a breeze for help. In fact, they make your worthy time more frustrating than ever. This isn't the first issue I have encountered throughout the years with them but will make it the last. PNC Bank needs to step it up. Their customers will be looking for better.

I have been a customer with PNC bank since 2008. Found nothing impressive about them but no complaints as was not looking for favors from them. I think that it is really unprofessional, inconsiderate and rude of them to just shut down all of my accounts, which I had a couple personal and 1 joint with my fiancée without warning or even a simple phone call. Like they said they have the right to not want to do business with customers anymore as customers have same right. If they thought there was suspicious activities on my account why didn't I get a phone call like all other normal professional banks do. Besides I never called to report suspicious activities. It's my money!! Will make sure everyone is gonna know about this!! One very unhappy, unlucky customer to have banked with forsaken PNC Bank. NEVER ASKED FOR A LOAN OR EVEN HAD INSUFFICIENT FUNDS.

Fisher, Indiana branch on Brooks School Road. Had rep called Daniel...he had no idea how to stop a check and keep asking for the same info over and OVER! Then I spoke with the manager, Andy, and he was terrible. Why does PNC hire these people? No training or people skills! I then went to another branch and knew the manager there at PNC Graham Road in Indianapolis. Warren, who is fabulous and great was in a meeting and I worked with the Banker, Robert. He was great and took care of things ASAP. Great branch. Do Not go to Brooks School Branch. The good people left. It was a horrible experience done by 3rd graders!

I've a PNC customer for 7 years with-out any problems. However today I identify a flaw in their system. I transfer funds between checking/saving accounts via the app on a regular basis. I also make credit card payment via the app as well. Last week (23rd) I made a payment from my PNC checking acct to my PNC credit card. The due date for the payment was the 24th. Now I was under the impression the payment would apply instantly or next at the latest. To my surprise, there is a 3 day processing period before the payment post (Which I was unaware of). This doesn't make sense since I transferring funds within the same institution. I spoke with Anna (Supervisor Credit Card Services in Michigan) she refuse to waive the $25 late fee, because I received a "courtesy" 2 months ago.

I appreciate the courtesy removal of the late fee last month. However this isn't a courtesy, because the payment was made before the due date. It just the right thing to do!! According to her, she is the highest point for escalation. If that is the case, PNC needs to review their 3-day processing period when making payments from PNC personal accts. to PNC credit cards. THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!

I've been a customer for decades. After getting married, I wanted to keep a small checking account for sentimental reasons. Created savings accounts for my children when they were born. Repeatedly, without notification, our accounts were accessed $7/ monthly fees. They refunded the child accounts, but not mine. The branch always told me they would refund them but it never happened. They suggested I switch to a Virtual Wallet. But then I started getting $2/ monthly fees for paper statements. They fixed that and returned $6. Since I did not use the account, in the end, they had essentially stolen half of my entire balance. The branch told me I had until June 27 to work things out with the escalation dept, but today, the lovely woman at the escalation dept. who could NOT return my fees, did return the fee assessed on the 19th!!!

She had no idea what the branch manager could be referring to as the computer stated my billing cycle was on the 19th. The only notification I've received in the last 3 years is via email last month. Nothing was ever sent to our house except offers for credit cards. They say they notified us, therefore refused to return the fees. There was no documentation that the branch had returned the fees either. I supposed I should have made them sign a statement? Record the conversation? I closed those 3 accounts today because I cannot watch guard the bank every month and/or check statements every month to make sure the branch actually refunds the fees when they say they will, or anything else they say is true. We're done.

Last year we tried to open a business account. We did not have the 501c3 for setting up a nonprofit account so we opted for a business account. They would not let us open the account without IRS documentation. Since I had several thousand dollars to deposit, they told us to open a Virtual Wallet and name it the nonprofit name, which we did. Then once we had legal documentation that the IRS accepted our application, we returned to the bank to convert the Wallet to an actual business account. The branch manager would not allow it. She said, "Anyone can obtain an EIN#." So I have checks made out to the business and cannot deposit them or convert the account to a business account, cannot deposit them into my personal/virtual wall business account? I asked the people who made the donation to please use PayPal or make the check out to me personally.

Overall, I'm relieved we did not set up a business account with PNC because their fees are unreasonable high for a business just starting out. The branch manager acted like we were trying to do something illegal, after they literally stole half of our personal banking funds blaming glitches in the computer and notification systems.

It's one thing is they clearly state their policies and you don't like them. Go elsewhere. It's another if they have to lie and scheme and steal the money from you and then discriminate your legal documentation to do other business with them. And it's one thing if they "steal" money from your personal accounts. It's your loss. But if this sort of thing goes on with a nonprofit, and I am ultimately responsible for those funds, I could go to jail. You'll see me on the news crying. It will be me who ultimately pays the price. No thank you. I would rather keep my money "under the mattress" before I would ever trust PNC. We are in the process of closing all accounts.

I have had an account with PNC since 1999, and although I consistently hear how awful PNC is to bank with, I never had enough of a reason to close my account. I deposited a check from another party that didn't clear because of insufficient funds. As a result, I was assessed a $12.00 fee because the check returned. The same person wrote me another check from a different account, it didn't clear again and I was charged another $12.00 fee. I contacted PNC customer service to see if they would credit the fees, at the very least as a courtesy for being a long standing customer. I was told that the fee is part of their banking agreement and they REFUSED to credit the fees.

I escalated the issue and another person told me that it was their "final decision" and that was it. Now I understand that fee is part of their banking policy, however, isn't it good customer practice to at least offer a one time courtesy credit? Instead all PNC does is cause customers grief and cause people to attempt to bank elsewhere. I work for a Fortune 100 company; this type of customer service would never fly. Guess that's why PNC isn't on any Top Fortune company lists. What irked me the most about this whole thing is that I was charged because someone else wrote two bad checks! I am in the process of closing my PNC account and will bank elsewhere.

I have a business credit card and personal credit card with PNC, I started using them but I have had really negative experiences with both. To me it seems as if PNC is trying to make their customers difficult to make payments so that they can charge late fees. I use the scheduled payment option on April, but the system did not registered the scheduled payment. When I checked my account the next day I noticed I received a late fee for late payments. I called PNC to tell them that I had schedule a payment and that there should not be a late fee, they responded that they could not do anything about it and that it was my fault for not making sure the payment went through the day of. The other issues I had were with my personal credit card as well. I do not recommend PNC to anyone. Do not open an account with them. I will be closing all three of my accounts soon.

I had PNC only 3 months. I had business accounts and personal accounts. Steve the business banker opened 6 accounts for my business then closed four and gave me the closed accounts' numbers with the debit cards to the open accounts. My clients kept trying to send money only to have funds rejected and was told the account was closed. I spoke repeatedly to the manager and assistant manager at my PNC branch Michael and Mary and was told everything was fine but it wasn't. I was using the debit cards thinking everything was okay then the actual active accounts became overdrawn and checks bounced and no payments from my customers was received. Michael told me last week I had the wrong business account numbers and he was sorry.

My personal account was in good standing and it was closed and PNC never informed me they was closing them, I have a job and my check is direct deposit. I asked them will I be able to get my deposit 'cause my rent is due and was told they have to hold it for 30 days. I have been so stressed out over the fees and lies from PNC. I feel like I have PTSD. Not only have I lost a lot of vendors and clients for my business but now my personal life is in shambles and I may get evicted. I went to my doctor for major headaches and anxiety. All due from dealing with PNC. HOW CAN THEY DO THIS. It's not fair how they are allowed to screw people over.

My certified check was deposited to PNC on May 30. Instead they put it on hold are investigating it as Fraud. How long can they detain my check? No one will tell me anything. I have called and visited the PNC every day. Why are they holding my money?

My account was deactivated twice this month with no notification. They blocked my entire account because of one check that was pending verification. I have never experienced this kind of nonsense before. I wouldn't have gone to PNC if my bank existed here in Indiana but I'll be pulling my money out and go somewhere else. Now I'm not able to put my money down to my new apartment because of PNC.

This is the worst Bank ever. They put a hold a cash deposit I made in my account leaving me with no money over the weekend and when I went to close my account they charge me 25$ for closing my account. What a ripoff. That was the worst experience ever. I don't know how they stay in business.

I have been a customer with PNC for about 11 years. Today hit the last nerve with them and I will be removing myself from their customer database today before 5 pm. Last night I went to get gas (pay at the pump). The gas stopped pumping at around $4. I was very confused by this because I had just checked my balance to make sure I had funds available. I normally don't keep money in my account because I am aware of ghost transactions that can take place. When I checked my balance, I had $18 and some odd cents. So the gas pump stopping at $4 confused me. I wrapped it up to maybe a bill came out so I had used my last dollars available. I went inside to pay the rest in cash. This left me expecting my account to be at $0. This was Wednesday evening. I knew I had small bills due Thursday but I also get paid on Thursdays so I thought nothing of it and as long as I deposit funds before 10 pm, I'd be covered.

I check my account Thursday morning and suddenly I am negative $43. I check my transactions in my app but for some reason they don't match up with my transactions online via computer screen. Neither one of the transaction lists match with my personal written transaction log book. From what I can see according to the transaction lists provided via app and internet, the last transaction was the monthly $7 fee from PNC. Last month it came out on the 8th so I was aware it was being deducted, but on Thursday rather than Wednesday, again which would be fine because I deposit funds every Thursday.

This then makes me question why the gas pump stopped at $4 if I had already over drafted that day... Apparently all these fees got added this morning. Confused yet? Me too. So I got online to chat with a representative, because I am at work and don't have availability to call. I explained my issue of confusion and they sent me back transactions over the last week and told me I have to keep a personal log of my transactions because with a debit card the purchase is deducted immediately. Which is not true because if that is the case then why doesn't my personal log match up with what is online or on the app. There's transactions I made Monday that didn't come out until Wednesday. Where is the immediate withdrawal? Even the rep sent transactions in a list that still did not match up with any of the other forms for finding out my real bank account balance.

I explained that their $7 fee taken a day early without notice is the reason I over drafted. It's right there on the PNC website. They said they would not waive the overdraft fee and that they hope I understand that having 7 years of back bank records makes it worth it. This is where I am finished being a customer at PNC Bank. I already pay $84 a year for monthly required fees then for them to charge me $40 more because they switch the dates around without any notice at all, makes them a bad untrustworthy financial institution. I am happy to stop doing business with any person or company/business who thinks its okay to take advantage of people. They charge for having money in the account and charge for not having money. And the rep tells me it's my fault because I didn't keep a log. I do keep a log and it's very up to date, due to starting my own businesses and needing to know every important piece of information possible.

PNC changes their monthly fee dates without telling their customers then expect the customer to pay more money for their bad business actions. I'm appalled at this nonsense and will be closing my account today. I'm one small person to their huge presence but I will do everything in my power to persuade my friends and family to go elsewhere before this happens to them or anyone they know.

I went here to make a deposit and ask questions about a car loan. The bank teller told me I could talk to Scott. I approached Scott who was on his phone and asked him who could I talk to about a car loan. I don't think he heard me so I said "Are you Scott. You are the person I need to talk to about a car loan." He asked did I have an appointment to which I said "no." He put away the phone he was texting on and looked at his computer. I assumed he was checking to see what time his appt was. Then he said I have an appt coming in. Then he said I could have a seat but by now I already felt he didn't have time for me. I told him I wanted some info and it would not take long then I unwilling sat down.

He gave me some info but after I left I didn't feel like they wanted my business. I feel like I should try somewhere else for what I need. It was a disconcerting experience and when I walked out of there I thought about how poorly he responded to me approaching him as if to say he can't talk without an appointment or at least let the customer get what they need without feeling like my appointment who by the way was not inside the building yet, is more important than you are. I will be getting my loan elsewhere.

When my account got overdrawn they took the money out of my 18-yr-old daughter's account. When we went there to question them about it, we were told to leave, there was nothing they could do. PNC stole 814 dollars from my daughter. Do not bank here. Would give zero stars if possible. Worst bank ever.

I was charged a $5 fee for dropping below $300 in my savings which has Direct Deposit and has been below $300 before. Called them up and demanded the money back. I advised due to this fee, to close this account and the phone rep did so NOT telling me of a $25 fee and then said she would credit back the fee, put me on hold and hung up. I called back was told the same thing and the rep hung up. Called back again, told the same thing then put on hold for about 30 mins being told the same thing.

Then transferred to a so called escalation person who said since I closed the account, they could not credit the $25 to my checking account which has been with them 3 yrs, no late fees no overdrafts and has a few thousand going thru it in a month. So since this $25 means this much to PNC without me being told ahead of time about and their awesome customer service of being hung up on at least 1 to 2 times every time I have a problem with them. They can keep their crappy accounts and fees. I will be taking my business elsewhere!!!

I've noticed a sneaky trick that PNC Bank plays. I'll make an additional principal payment on my PNC Loan from the PNC website. PNC will deduct the money from my PNC checking account almost immediately. But it will take 3 to 5 business days for the additional principal to be credited to my PNC loan. When the payment is credited, the post date is back-dated to the date I made the additional principal payment. If I compare the interest charged on the loan I can see that interest continued to accrue on the full loan balance up to the date PNC "truly" posted my additional principal payment.

In other words, they get to charge me a couple days of extra interest by delaying posting my additional principal payment. I've had the situation where PNC posted the regular monthly payment to my PNC Loan several days before posting an additional principal payment that was made 4 days prior to monthly payment. Again, allowing them to charge a little extra interest by delaying posting my additional principal payment. I've complained to PNC and their response is that additional principal is always credited on the "post" date.

Recently my father passed away and while in the process of settling my father's estate much traveling was done between the East and West coast. I attempted to make flight arrangements prior to May of 2017 on the Southwest Airlines via the web. This resulted in a flight I didn't want and I had to call the airline and re-schedule after being reassured from the agent that since I hadn't had the flight from the website for even an hour my bank and the airline wouldn't charge me. Both the bank and the airline charged me so I cancelled my flight(s) with Southwest and used American Airlines instead.

During the interim, I spent countless hours holding for a bank representative in merchant services to discuss the details of the cancelled flights only to be advised by the bank that the merchant and only the merchant could provide details such as my credit card number without me being on the phone hearing the call. Well, Southwest claimed they weren't allowed to provide my credit card number for security reasons. That resulted in a provisional credit being issued which has been subtracted with overdraft fees included. I want consumers to be aware that even physically going into the bank won't resolve anything. And both banks at least PNC have policies in place that will not only tie up your funds, but if it takes a little more effort on behalf of the customer PNC Bank will not go to bat for their customers.

I received a letter asking me to fax additional information to the bank however, having misplaced the document I proceeded to go directly to the bank in person to resolve the matter once and for all. That resulted in a banking associate handing me the name of the person handling this matter but no direct line for me to speak with the person investigating it. Which has led me here. I hope your organization can assist me in getting a fair resolution. I really don't know what to do other than switch banks at this point.

I just had the worst experience at this bank. I went yesterday morning, 5/25/17 to withdraw money. I'm getting ready for a grad school trip to do research in Cuba and I need cash for 2 months, and so, I went in expecting to withdraw about $3k of my OWN money, from my OWN account. Needless to say, the manager at this branch immediately criminalized me and made me feel as if I was a fraud. I provided them with ID (in the form of my passport which is the surest form of ID) and my debit card. However, the manager was skeptical that someone like myself would be withdrawing this amount of money. I was humiliated when he began asking me personal questions about my motives for withdrawing this much money. I honestly feel like his biases and prejudices prevented him from believing that a person like myself has access to this much cash.

I am a young, ** woman, which definitely played a role in how I was perceived. His first statement was, "I don't recognize seeing you around here at this branch, so we're gonna have to ask you a few questions." He genuinely believed that the money in the account was not mine, and he did everything he could to grill me, and make me feel like a crook, when I just wanted to be in and out. He went back through my account history and asked why I opened my account in Philly, and am now in NJ. Why am I taking out this much money... things that I would not be asked to prove if I fit his perception of someone with money. I was literally treated like a second class citizen, when I've been entrusting this bank with my money since high school!

His interrogation proceeded for about 20 mins. Afterwhich, he had no option but to give me my money, because I could answer all of his ridiculous questions. Overall, I'm just disappointed and quite offended that the manager would make me feel like a criminal. He offered no remorse and even when giving me the cash, he still kept questioning me. I really hope that corporate can provides better sensitivity training to their employees so that they can better manage these instances. No one should have to feel this way! I am disgusted and violated, to say the least!!!

Please don't ever ever bank w/ PNC. First of all there no number to call only customer service that's it all rude, they came to my job asking us to open a new account w/ them, do direct deposit, use 10 debit card transactions and keep $2000. Every month in the bank after 90 they will give us $300 bonus! Well they lie lie lie. They no way in hell give you the bonus.

4 of us at my job all met there requirements to the tee and look Open a new Virtual Wallet with Performance Spend Establish total qualifying direct deposit(s) of $2,000 to the new account. Make at least 10 purchases with your PNC Bank Visa Debit Card. Get $200 deposited to your account. This is right off the PNC site but they lie people. They do not pay the bonus not one cent. They will lie & say you didn't do this or that but all of us has!!! They should be reported to the BBC which I am today. Trust me not only that they make big mistakes on people accounts. Trust me stay w/ your regular bank!!! I wouldn't lie. This is the God truth! If this has happened to you please write on your review that way PNC will be investigated May 22, 2017.

We called early morning, Friday, May 19th and received very poor customer service in regards accessing our account. Was told my husband who is the name on the account needs to be on the line in order to receive our PIN code #. Called back again with my husband on the line and Jona ** gave us absolute very confusing information in regards to PIN code... 1st she verified that my husband is on the phone then she tells both of us that she'll mail the PIN code to our home, I stopped her and asked that she give PIN code over the phone. She then gave this # and cautioned that it would only be good for 15 min., my husband then asked her to also mail us a PIN code since the one over the phone would become inactive after 15 min. is allowed (absolute nightmare). She then refuses to mail a PIN code because she tells us that she has already given us a PIN code over the phone.

My husband then is asking her... "What do we do after PIN code has expired and we cannot properly access our account??" She then says, "you can call back and request a PIN code to be mailed to you..." Keep in mind we already have requested that she please also mail this to us. She continued to be very confusing with the information provided to us in this respect (very incompetent people they have working here). She was very disrespectful and chose to ignore our request to mail us a PIN code. After we repeatedly asked her to bring a supervisor on the line to assist us in this area, she simply would say the following "I'm sorry, I do not have someone available at this time, but I can give a request for someone to call you back in 24 hours." She repeated this over and over again for 30 minutes... we also asked her to please put another representative on the line and she gave the same answer.

She simply ignored our requests to have someone else gives us proper assistance. I then mentioned to her that when I had called earlier in the day, the representative before her was able to immediately call for additional help. After I said this to her, she said nothing. So we knew that what she kept responding was absolutely false and simply choosing to keep us waiting on the phone, keep in mind that my husband was on the road and I was at the office while this call took place. She was made aware of this initially when we placed the call to your service center. (Simply unacceptable conduct on her part.)

Truly, customer service here is very inadequate and lacking in all areas. You cannot give your customers 15 min to re-register and enter all information necessary so that they can access their account properly. How disgraceful and horrific type of way to treat your customers. We are currently searching for a new mortgage lender who does in fact give their customer top quality customer service. Extreme Caution... Do not conduct any business with this mortgage lender, we have been a customer since 2004 and regret deeply the amount of grief we have had to endure with these people.

As a result of non-payment of an approximately $14.00 balance on my PNC credit card, as well as phone discussions with PNC, I discovered the draconian and unforgiving card termination policies of PNC. Apparently if you have a balance of as little as one cent [$0.01], and you do not pay that balance for 60 days, PNC will terminate the card and notify the credit rating agencies of same, thus reducing the credit score of the [former] customer. The only exception is if the customer can show a mistake on the part of PNC. The amount owed, number of times this occurred for the customer, misunderstandings - nothing will stop PNC from knee-capping the customer's credit score.

I also found out that even if you have a rewards balance, that cannot be used to pay off a small credit card balance. I was told that they needed my permission to do this. Yet they closed the account and took the $14 anyway, without my permission. In my case, for $14 owed, PNC has blown off a customer. I will visit my local branch tomorrow to withdraw in cash the approximately $1,500 I have in Virtual Wallet accounts and be done with PNC. I will also attempt to persuade others, including my partner, to terminate their business with PNC based on their severe and unforgiving policies. I admit error on my part, but the lack of consideration of scale or context by PNC is intolerable.

This bank lives to charge fees. I have had several issues but I will only discuss the worst. I typically only write checks to pay bills, mainly to avoid fees just to use my debit card. I get paid every Tuesday but my paycheck always hits the bank around 11 pm on Monday. On one particular occasion I had to write a check on a Friday, I knew I didn't have sufficient funds so I asked them to wait until Monday to deposit the check. I didn't think it would be a problem because any other time I have written a check it always post the following business day (if the merchant deposits it that day).

On this particular Monday, there was no account activity on my account all day. Around midnight which technically was Tuesday, I checked my account and my paycheck had posted and I was confident that I was good to go. In the middle of the night and I'm not sure exactly what time but it had to be after midnight, PNC posted the check which again shouldn't have been a problem because it was the next business day and my check was already there. However, not only did they revert the date on the check as if it has posted on Monday, they also charged me and overdraft fee.

When I called their Customer Support Team, I was given this explanation: "While the check may not have a posted in your online banking account until after 12 AM Eastern time today, this check was actually presented to your account to be paid yesterday. When a check is presented to your account it will not appear on your account history until after it has been processed, which starts each business day at 10 PM Eastern time." On several locations in the past I was told that according to their own policy the end of each business day was 10 PM. At 10:01 PM you are at the next business day. Although, the CSR said this but you reworded it to make it sound like we were going backwards instead of forwards. That seem to be the case most times I called them. They constantly change or distorted their explanations to fit and justify what had happened to me.

These kinds of practices are unacceptable and in my opinion, this is stealing money from me which is the worst thing anyone can do to me. That is to take my hard earned money away from me and then act like it's your fault because of some policy or procedure that, I couldn't find it in writing by the way, magically appeared to be relevant to my situation. I even asked the customer service representative where I could find this policy and I received no answer for that question. He basically told me that PNC reserves the right to do whatever they want to do and that when I used my debit card the first time, I was agreeing to all of these policies. At this point I am on a mission to discredit and give PNC a bad name. It is very nice to see that I'm not the only one who has gone through this because they sure try to make me feel as if I was. Long story short, do not bank with PNC Period!

Posted my deposit, then reversed it to pending and charged me with 2 Overdraft Fees of $36 each. Refused to remove fees and no clear logical explanation given for changing my deposit, resulting in a loss of $72. This bank is scum!

DON'T sign up for this type of account @ PNC Bank, unless you really need it! The only advantage over their lower-balance account is "free checks" (which cost about $25 for 100 checks) and free ATM fees. I have banked with this bank (now known as PNC) and the same people for many years.... Since they were Harbor [Federal-?] and then National City Bank. I only write 1 or 2 checks a month, and NEVER use an ATM.

SOMEHOW, when my account was switched from their "Everyday" account to a "Virtual Wallet Performance Select" account, THEY FAILED TO TELL ME that if my monthly balance dropped below $2,000, I would be charged $25 per month "bank fees." Well, since my only income is now Social Security, $25 is a lot of money to me. I was LIVID when I found out that I was being charged this fee. Partly my own fault for not noticing it on my account statements, but I should have been TOLD about these fees when my account was changed from the lower-balance account to their Virtual Wallet Performance Select. At this point, I am not even sure WHY they switched my account from the lower-balance type to their "Select" account. That's a mystery in itself. But PNC's "Select" account selects YOU to be charged banking fees, if you don't write many checks --- and who does these days? And don't use ATM's.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.
  • Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.
  • Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.
  • Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.
  • Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.
  • Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.
  • Best for PNC is best for customers who live near a PNC Bank branch. For those consumers, PNC is a viable banking solution for those seeking a full-service bank with investing access.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions