PNC Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have a business credit card and personal credit card with PNC, I started using them but I have had really negative experiences with both. To me it seems as if PNC is trying to make their customers difficult to make payments so that they can charge late fees. I use the scheduled payment option on April, but the system did not registered the scheduled payment. When I checked my account the next day I noticed I received a late fee for late payments. I called PNC to tell them that I had schedule a payment and that there should not be a late fee, they responded that they could not do anything about it and that it was my fault for not making sure the payment went through the day of. The other issues I had were with my personal credit card as well. I do not recommend PNC to anyone. Do not open an account with them. I will be closing all three of my accounts soon.

My certified check was deposited to PNC on May 30. Instead they put it on hold are investigating it as Fraud. How long can they detain my check? No one will tell me anything. I have called and visited the PNC every day. Why are they holding my money?

This is the worst Bank ever. They put a hold a cash deposit I made in my account leaving me with no money over the weekend and when I went to close my account they charge me 25$ for closing my account. What a ripoff. That was the worst experience ever. I don't know how they stay in business.

I have been a customer with PNC for about 11 years. Today hit the last nerve with them and I will be removing myself from their customer database today before 5 pm. Last night I went to get gas (pay at the pump). The gas stopped pumping at around $4. I was very confused by this because I had just checked my balance to make sure I had funds available. I normally don't keep money in my account because I am aware of ghost transactions that can take place. When I checked my balance, I had $18 and some odd cents. So the gas pump stopping at $4 confused me. I wrapped it up to maybe a bill came out so I had used my last dollars available. I went inside to pay the rest in cash. This left me expecting my account to be at $0. This was Wednesday evening. I knew I had small bills due Thursday but I also get paid on Thursdays so I thought nothing of it and as long as I deposit funds before 10 pm, I'd be covered.

I check my account Thursday morning and suddenly I am negative $43. I check my transactions in my app but for some reason they don't match up with my transactions online via computer screen. Neither one of the transaction lists match with my personal written transaction log book. From what I can see according to the transaction lists provided via app and internet, the last transaction was the monthly $7 fee from PNC. Last month it came out on the 8th so I was aware it was being deducted, but on Thursday rather than Wednesday, again which would be fine because I deposit funds every Thursday.

This then makes me question why the gas pump stopped at $4 if I had already over drafted that day... Apparently all these fees got added this morning. Confused yet? Me too. So I got online to chat with a representative, because I am at work and don't have availability to call. I explained my issue of confusion and they sent me back transactions over the last week and told me I have to keep a personal log of my transactions because with a debit card the purchase is deducted immediately. Which is not true because if that is the case then why doesn't my personal log match up with what is online or on the app. There's transactions I made Monday that didn't come out until Wednesday. Where is the immediate withdrawal? Even the rep sent transactions in a list that still did not match up with any of the other forms for finding out my real bank account balance.

I explained that their $7 fee taken a day early without notice is the reason I over drafted. It's right there on the PNC website. They said they would not waive the overdraft fee and that they hope I understand that having 7 years of back bank records makes it worth it. This is where I am finished being a customer at PNC Bank. I already pay $84 a year for monthly required fees then for them to charge me $40 more because they switch the dates around without any notice at all, makes them a bad untrustworthy financial institution. I am happy to stop doing business with any person or company/business who thinks its okay to take advantage of people. They charge for having money in the account and charge for not having money. And the rep tells me it's my fault because I didn't keep a log. I do keep a log and it's very up to date, due to starting my own businesses and needing to know every important piece of information possible.

PNC changes their monthly fee dates without telling their customers then expect the customer to pay more money for their bad business actions. I'm appalled at this nonsense and will be closing my account today. I'm one small person to their huge presence but I will do everything in my power to persuade my friends and family to go elsewhere before this happens to them or anyone they know.

I went here to make a deposit and ask questions about a car loan. The bank teller told me I could talk to Scott. I approached Scott who was on his phone and asked him who could I talk to about a car loan. I don't think he heard me so I said "Are you Scott. You are the person I need to talk to about a car loan." He asked did I have an appointment to which I said "no." He put away the phone he was texting on and looked at his computer. I assumed he was checking to see what time his appt was. Then he said I have an appt coming in. Then he said I could have a seat but by now I already felt he didn't have time for me. I told him I wanted some info and it would not take long then I unwilling sat down.

He gave me some info but after I left I didn't feel like they wanted my business. I feel like I should try somewhere else for what I need. It was a disconcerting experience and when I walked out of there I thought about how poorly he responded to me approaching him as if to say he can't talk without an appointment or at least let the customer get what they need without feeling like my appointment who by the way was not inside the building yet, is more important than you are. I will be getting my loan elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

When my account got overdrawn they took the money out of my 18-yr-old daughter's account. When we went there to question them about it, we were told to leave, there was nothing they could do. PNC stole 814 dollars from my daughter. Do not bank here. Would give zero stars if possible. Worst bank ever.

I was charged a $5 fee for dropping below $300 in my savings which has Direct Deposit and has been below $300 before. Called them up and demanded the money back. I advised due to this fee, to close this account and the phone rep did so NOT telling me of a $25 fee and then said she would credit back the fee, put me on hold and hung up. I called back was told the same thing and the rep hung up. Called back again, told the same thing then put on hold for about 30 mins being told the same thing.

Then transferred to a so called escalation person who said since I closed the account, they could not credit the $25 to my checking account which has been with them 3 yrs, no late fees no overdrafts and has a few thousand going thru it in a month. So since this $25 means this much to PNC without me being told ahead of time about and their awesome customer service of being hung up on at least 1 to 2 times every time I have a problem with them. They can keep their crappy accounts and fees. I will be taking my business elsewhere!!!

I've noticed a sneaky trick that PNC Bank plays. I'll make an additional principal payment on my PNC Loan from the PNC website. PNC will deduct the money from my PNC checking account almost immediately. But it will take 3 to 5 business days for the additional principal to be credited to my PNC loan. When the payment is credited, the post date is back-dated to the date I made the additional principal payment. If I compare the interest charged on the loan I can see that interest continued to accrue on the full loan balance up to the date PNC "truly" posted my additional principal payment.

In other words, they get to charge me a couple days of extra interest by delaying posting my additional principal payment. I've had the situation where PNC posted the regular monthly payment to my PNC Loan several days before posting an additional principal payment that was made 4 days prior to monthly payment. Again, allowing them to charge a little extra interest by delaying posting my additional principal payment. I've complained to PNC and their response is that additional principal is always credited on the "post" date.

Recently my father passed away and while in the process of settling my father's estate much traveling was done between the East and West coast. I attempted to make flight arrangements prior to May of 2017 on the Southwest Airlines via the web. This resulted in a flight I didn't want and I had to call the airline and re-schedule after being reassured from the agent that since I hadn't had the flight from the website for even an hour my bank and the airline wouldn't charge me. Both the bank and the airline charged me so I cancelled my flight(s) with Southwest and used American Airlines instead.

During the interim, I spent countless hours holding for a bank representative in merchant services to discuss the details of the cancelled flights only to be advised by the bank that the merchant and only the merchant could provide details such as my credit card number without me being on the phone hearing the call. Well, Southwest claimed they weren't allowed to provide my credit card number for security reasons. That resulted in a provisional credit being issued which has been subtracted with overdraft fees included. I want consumers to be aware that even physically going into the bank won't resolve anything. And both banks at least PNC have policies in place that will not only tie up your funds, but if it takes a little more effort on behalf of the customer PNC Bank will not go to bat for their customers.

I received a letter asking me to fax additional information to the bank however, having misplaced the document I proceeded to go directly to the bank in person to resolve the matter once and for all. That resulted in a banking associate handing me the name of the person handling this matter but no direct line for me to speak with the person investigating it. Which has led me here. I hope your organization can assist me in getting a fair resolution. I really don't know what to do other than switch banks at this point.

I just had the worst experience at this bank. I went yesterday morning, 5/25/17 to withdraw money. I'm getting ready for a grad school trip to do research in Cuba and I need cash for 2 months, and so, I went in expecting to withdraw about $3k of my OWN money, from my OWN account. Needless to say, the manager at this branch immediately criminalized me and made me feel as if I was a fraud. I provided them with ID (in the form of my passport which is the surest form of ID) and my debit card. However, the manager was skeptical that someone like myself would be withdrawing this amount of money. I was humiliated when he began asking me personal questions about my motives for withdrawing this much money. I honestly feel like his biases and prejudices prevented him from believing that a person like myself has access to this much cash.

I am a young, ** woman, which definitely played a role in how I was perceived. His first statement was, "I don't recognize seeing you around here at this branch, so we're gonna have to ask you a few questions." He genuinely believed that the money in the account was not mine, and he did everything he could to grill me, and make me feel like a crook, when I just wanted to be in and out. He went back through my account history and asked why I opened my account in Philly, and am now in NJ. Why am I taking out this much money... things that I would not be asked to prove if I fit his perception of someone with money. I was literally treated like a second class citizen, when I've been entrusting this bank with my money since high school!

His interrogation proceeded for about 20 mins. Afterwhich, he had no option but to give me my money, because I could answer all of his ridiculous questions. Overall, I'm just disappointed and quite offended that the manager would make me feel like a criminal. He offered no remorse and even when giving me the cash, he still kept questioning me. I really hope that corporate can provides better sensitivity training to their employees so that they can better manage these instances. No one should have to feel this way! I am disgusted and violated, to say the least!!!

Please don't ever ever bank w/ PNC. First of all there no number to call only customer service that's it all rude, they came to my job asking us to open a new account w/ them, do direct deposit, use 10 debit card transactions and keep $2000. Every month in the bank after 90 they will give us $300 bonus! Well they lie lie lie. They no way in hell give you the bonus.

4 of us at my job all met there requirements to the tee and look Open a new Virtual Wallet with Performance Spend Establish total qualifying direct deposit(s) of $2,000 to the new account. Make at least 10 purchases with your PNC Bank Visa Debit Card. Get $200 deposited to your account. This is right off the PNC site but they lie people. They do not pay the bonus not one cent. They will lie & say you didn't do this or that but all of us has!!! They should be reported to the BBC which I am today. Trust me not only that they make big mistakes on people accounts. Trust me stay w/ your regular bank!!! I wouldn't lie. This is the God truth! If this has happened to you please write on your review that way PNC will be investigated May 22, 2017.

We called early morning, Friday, May 19th and received very poor customer service in regards accessing our account. Was told my husband who is the name on the account needs to be on the line in order to receive our PIN code #. Called back again with my husband on the line and Jona ** gave us absolute very confusing information in regards to PIN code... 1st she verified that my husband is on the phone then she tells both of us that she'll mail the PIN code to our home, I stopped her and asked that she give PIN code over the phone. She then gave this # and cautioned that it would only be good for 15 min., my husband then asked her to also mail us a PIN code since the one over the phone would become inactive after 15 min. is allowed (absolute nightmare). She then refuses to mail a PIN code because she tells us that she has already given us a PIN code over the phone.

My husband then is asking her... "What do we do after PIN code has expired and we cannot properly access our account??" She then says, "you can call back and request a PIN code to be mailed to you..." Keep in mind we already have requested that she please also mail this to us. She continued to be very confusing with the information provided to us in this respect (very incompetent people they have working here). She was very disrespectful and chose to ignore our request to mail us a PIN code. After we repeatedly asked her to bring a supervisor on the line to assist us in this area, she simply would say the following "I'm sorry, I do not have someone available at this time, but I can give a request for someone to call you back in 24 hours." She repeated this over and over again for 30 minutes... we also asked her to please put another representative on the line and she gave the same answer.

She simply ignored our requests to have someone else gives us proper assistance. I then mentioned to her that when I had called earlier in the day, the representative before her was able to immediately call for additional help. After I said this to her, she said nothing. So we knew that what she kept responding was absolutely false and simply choosing to keep us waiting on the phone, keep in mind that my husband was on the road and I was at the office while this call took place. She was made aware of this initially when we placed the call to your service center. (Simply unacceptable conduct on her part.)

Truly, customer service here is very inadequate and lacking in all areas. You cannot give your customers 15 min to re-register and enter all information necessary so that they can access their account properly. How disgraceful and horrific type of way to treat your customers. We are currently searching for a new mortgage lender who does in fact give their customer top quality customer service. Extreme Caution... Do not conduct any business with this mortgage lender, we have been a customer since 2004 and regret deeply the amount of grief we have had to endure with these people.

As a result of non-payment of an approximately $14.00 balance on my PNC credit card, as well as phone discussions with PNC, I discovered the draconian and unforgiving card termination policies of PNC. Apparently if you have a balance of as little as one cent [$0.01], and you do not pay that balance for 60 days, PNC will terminate the card and notify the credit rating agencies of same, thus reducing the credit score of the [former] customer. The only exception is if the customer can show a mistake on the part of PNC. The amount owed, number of times this occurred for the customer, misunderstandings - nothing will stop PNC from knee-capping the customer's credit score.

I also found out that even if you have a rewards balance, that cannot be used to pay off a small credit card balance. I was told that they needed my permission to do this. Yet they closed the account and took the $14 anyway, without my permission. In my case, for $14 owed, PNC has blown off a customer. I will visit my local branch tomorrow to withdraw in cash the approximately $1,500 I have in Virtual Wallet accounts and be done with PNC. I will also attempt to persuade others, including my partner, to terminate their business with PNC based on their severe and unforgiving policies. I admit error on my part, but the lack of consideration of scale or context by PNC is intolerable.

This bank lives to charge fees. I have had several issues but I will only discuss the worst. I typically only write checks to pay bills, mainly to avoid fees just to use my debit card. I get paid every Tuesday but my paycheck always hits the bank around 11 pm on Monday. On one particular occasion I had to write a check on a Friday, I knew I didn't have sufficient funds so I asked them to wait until Monday to deposit the check. I didn't think it would be a problem because any other time I have written a check it always post the following business day (if the merchant deposits it that day).

On this particular Monday, there was no account activity on my account all day. Around midnight which technically was Tuesday, I checked my account and my paycheck had posted and I was confident that I was good to go. In the middle of the night and I'm not sure exactly what time but it had to be after midnight, PNC posted the check which again shouldn't have been a problem because it was the next business day and my check was already there. However, not only did they revert the date on the check as if it has posted on Monday, they also charged me and overdraft fee.

When I called their Customer Support Team, I was given this explanation: "While the check may not have a posted in your online banking account until after 12 AM Eastern time today, this check was actually presented to your account to be paid yesterday. When a check is presented to your account it will not appear on your account history until after it has been processed, which starts each business day at 10 PM Eastern time." On several locations in the past I was told that according to their own policy the end of each business day was 10 PM. At 10:01 PM you are at the next business day. Although, the CSR said this but you reworded it to make it sound like we were going backwards instead of forwards. That seem to be the case most times I called them. They constantly change or distorted their explanations to fit and justify what had happened to me.

These kinds of practices are unacceptable and in my opinion, this is stealing money from me which is the worst thing anyone can do to me. That is to take my hard earned money away from me and then act like it's your fault because of some policy or procedure that, I couldn't find it in writing by the way, magically appeared to be relevant to my situation. I even asked the customer service representative where I could find this policy and I received no answer for that question. He basically told me that PNC reserves the right to do whatever they want to do and that when I used my debit card the first time, I was agreeing to all of these policies. At this point I am on a mission to discredit and give PNC a bad name. It is very nice to see that I'm not the only one who has gone through this because they sure try to make me feel as if I was. Long story short, do not bank with PNC Period!

Posted my deposit, then reversed it to pending and charged me with 2 Overdraft Fees of $36 each. Refused to remove fees and no clear logical explanation given for changing my deposit, resulting in a loss of $72. This bank is scum!

DON'T sign up for this type of account @ PNC Bank, unless you really need it! The only advantage over their lower-balance account is "free checks" (which cost about $25 for 100 checks) and free ATM fees. I have banked with this bank (now known as PNC) and the same people for many years.... Since they were Harbor [Federal-?] and then National City Bank. I only write 1 or 2 checks a month, and NEVER use an ATM.

SOMEHOW, when my account was switched from their "Everyday" account to a "Virtual Wallet Performance Select" account, THEY FAILED TO TELL ME that if my monthly balance dropped below $2,000, I would be charged $25 per month "bank fees." Well, since my only income is now Social Security, $25 is a lot of money to me. I was LIVID when I found out that I was being charged this fee. Partly my own fault for not noticing it on my account statements, but I should have been TOLD about these fees when my account was changed from the lower-balance account to their Virtual Wallet Performance Select. At this point, I am not even sure WHY they switched my account from the lower-balance type to their "Select" account. That's a mystery in itself. But PNC's "Select" account selects YOU to be charged banking fees, if you don't write many checks --- and who does these days? And don't use ATM's.

I have both a savings account and an auto loan with PNC. I live out of state. Long story short. I couldn't make a payment online out of my PNC savings account due to my account being "inactive"? I had 4 times the amount I needed to make the payment. I called the branch where I opened the account and was transferred to about six different people in the duration of a little over an hour. I explained over and over that I wanted to make my payment from my PNC savings account to each person I spoke with. I finally spoke with someone who seemed competent and they assured me it was done. The next day I use my debit card and it was declined. The dodo at PNC used my checking account number from another bank. I suppose because I had used it before to make a payment. Twice in the last three years or so. I normally mail in my payment. The whole reason I called was to use my PNC savings account.

My "inactive" savings account? I don't understand that one at all. The money was there. How's that inactive? Anyway now I'm overdrawn with my checking account for a withdrawal that I did not authorize. I'm at the mercy of a totally inept and wrong company. With a slew of recorded phone conversations to prove it. I have no money in my checking account nor my pocket. I have no faith whatsoever in PNC to straighten this out promptly. I'm over drafted through no fault of my own. My bank where I have my checking account at will put it all off on me as being irresponsible. All due to the complete incompetence of PNC. I did everything I was supposed to do. It would be nice if PNC would own their mistake. I asked them to contact my other bank with an explanation. Speaking with PNC representatives is like communicating with Charlie Brown's teacher. Whaa whaa whaa Whaa... pathetic.

They are obsessed with charging the $36 overdraft fee! You can pay for something the same day you get a paycheck and no doubt, the payment will hit before the check! I bought 2 iTunes songs for $.99/each and got charged $72. I'm taking what few pennies that I have left and going to find a new bank. I even deposited a check one morning at 9am so that some charges coming in the next day or two would be okay and they said the check would take 48 hours to clear so I got hit with $180 in late charges. It's a rip-off.

My mortgage was sold to this bank. They have the absolute WORST customer service. Even worse than the cable company and I did not know that was possible. They are rude and condescending. They have a horrible website that is not user friendly and then you are forced to call the extreme non-friendly customer service. I consistently pay more for my mortgage every single month for the "privilege" of this horrible company buying my mortgage. I was looking at paying my mortgage off early with the other company I had which allowed me to make bi-weekly and pay the principal down. Customer service told me I would have to make 2 monthly payments in advance in order to even set that up. I don't know what I can do at this point, other than refinance and hope to NEVER have this bank again.

There are two females at PNC Bank, (located at Alexandria Dr., Lexington KY) whose 'authoritative positions' have reduced them to narcissistic, mechanical, unhappy, shoddy little entities, tortured and in agony. The cake-face, blond haired female, in particular, is the epitome of pure "evil." However, rather than go into a discourse about my experience with them, I will pose this question: "How can PNC Bank take a person's property and destroy it, when in fact it's not their property to take and destroy?" Nonetheless, the only "fact" that people need to be aware of is, when it comes to problem solving, neither of the two females were accommodating at all!

I have been a PNC customer 6 years now. At least for the past two years they have been very inaccurate with my balance. I checked it yesterday and it showed a balance of $140.00. I checked it again today after making a few purchases for $12 and it says I have $79.00. On top of that my card was recently hacked that's supposed to be protected with the chip. I honestly believe pnc is purposely inaccurate with their bank statements so people will overdraft their accounts.

NEVER BANK WITH SCUMS. I have banked with PNC for years now, YEARS...even opened my business accounts with them, and suggested to my mom to open with them. Last month (March 2017) I decided to use bill pay to pay my rent; the property management company is more than 40 miles (one way) from me and I didn't feel like dealing with traffic and using up gas so I figured this would be a win win situation. I initiated bill pay on 3/30, the soonest delivery option it gave was 4/5, which is the last day it can be taken so I figured this would be fine. I set it up and forgot about it. On 4/10 I get a call from my property management company saying that my rent was now 10 days PAST DUE resulting in a $130 last fee and that they had just received my check in the mail that day. WHAT??? I rebutted that I did bill pay WITH MY BANK, and that they would take care of this because I KNOW I was not late.

I immediately contacted PNC (my local branch) who was shocked to say the least. He went into the system and say that I was not at fault, that PNC did in fact pay the merchant in time and that they would take care of it. I waited to hear back from him. The next day, he called back and told me that I had every right to dispute this and that I would need to call the right department and file a CRIS dispute and all would be well. "Don't worry Ms **, we will make sure you don't come out looking like the bad guy here", he said. When I called the designated # to file the claim, the rep looked also into my complaint and uttered the same words as the branch Mngr, "Wow, I'm not sure how this happened but we will fix this as this was mailed off on 4/2, so there's no reason they just got it on the 10th. We will fix this right away".

The next day I get a call from my property management company stating that PNC contacted them and said that they don't cover "grace periods" so the fee would stand. I still needed to pay the fee right away. I was pissed. I called PNC right away and was transferred to the "Online Payments Dept". The guy starts talking about how bill pay is not really THROUGH PNC directly, but is actually through Fiserv, which has a policy that they don't do "grace periods", so anything AFTER the 1st is considered a GRACE PERIOD and they would not cover the fee.

Wait, so you're telling me that a system/feature you have on your website that you say is secure and trustworthy didn't perform as you promised it to do, which resulted in a fee for your customer and now you're telling me that you have no obligation to be responsible for it because your 3rd party company won't cover it, even though you originally took responsibility for it and said you'd fix it??? What part of the game is this? If this doesn't sound like the biggest crock of bs I've ever heard! Pissed I asked to speak to a manager but was on hold forever so I hung up but planned to get up and go to my local branch to have a sit down with the manager.

The next day I did just as planned, however en route there I get a call from the "Escalation Dept", I explain how crazy they sound by telling me they can do nothing. He goes in to basically repeat everything the online people said. I said, "I'm SURE there is something you can do?" Well, because Fisev won't cover it it really isn't. "Maybe you can take a letter to your management company and show them how you did initiate early and set up on time, but it was our system who errored?" "Well...if you can say all of that, why can't you cough up the $130 that I now have to pay, AND have to have on my payment history that I paid LATE, when I didn't." After my call with him, I still headed into the local branch (Union City, GA) to talk with Branch Manager. I took a copy of my lease agreement so that he could see that per my lease, the 5th was not a "grace period", but was in fact the allotted time for making payments.

He saw it and completely agreed that the lease did state differently than what PNC says Fiserv was told. He called my property management company (I guess he thought he could get a different answer, but I'm not sure what he thought would happen) and they shut him down. He hung up and was like "uuhh yea, they definitely are giving a hard time and are trying to make sure you pay". WELL DUH!! I was in tears in his office as I explained that this was not fair to me. I am single and have been saving up for my first home since the holidays. One of the base requirements for loan program I'm going through is that you have to be consistent with paying ALL BILLS ON TIME for at least 12 months. Now, WHY ON EARTH WOULD I PAY MY RENT LATE THE SAME MONTH I'M TO MEET WITH THEM FOR LOAN CONSIDERATION???

I did my due diligence and couldn't believe how my bank, PNC was leaving me out to the wolves. He then said, "Ok allow me to make a call and see if this can be fixed another way." I said, "If this is with bill pay save it because they will do nothing. It's sad that I am a customer who has been in good standing and this is how you treat me? I will be closing all my accounts today". He replied, no that he agreed and that he would try to go through a dept that handled Customer Relations to see they could get resolve. I stated that I know the banking industry, and that I'm aware PNC COULD fix this if they wanted to. They have funds designated to resolve customer issues for use WHEN THEY WANT TO. One week went by...nothing. I called the Manager the middle of the next week and said that the guy he reached out to was just getting back into the office and that he should hear something within a day or 2.

By Friday, no one was saying anything. On Friday I sent him an email reminding him the time sensitivity of this matter and how I would be needing something to show my innocence in the matter. Today is 4/24, I just received a call from the Branch Manager who sounded like a broken record with explanation. I called him out on him changing his story now, as before it was "PNC will help you" to, "well because Fiserv says it won't cover there is nothing more I can do." WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT FISERV??? I thought you were going through Customer RELATIONS??? Nope, he didn't. And then when I asked for some type of formal letter stating the bank error, he had the nerve to say, "Well, if we won't pay for it, we certainly can't give you anything in writing. I'm not sure what you expect from me".

You don't know what I expect from you??? How about actually STAND UP FOR YOUR CUSTOMER! How about do what you SAID YOU WOULD DO, and OWN your bank error!!! Smh I tell you, if a bank is OK with doing this to their own customers, there is no line of integrity for them. I have spent the whole day blasting them on twitter and will do so everyday for the next several weeks/months. I will be pulling ALL funds and closing both my personal and business accounts and so will my mother effective IMMEDIATELY. HORRIBLE BUSINESS PRACTICES.

PNC charges late fees on its debit cards without any warning. I got charged $12 on a $75 card and discovered this when I went to use the card. I tried calling the number on the card and only options I get are to check the balance on the card or activate the card. They provide no avenues to address your grievance. Such unethical practices should be stopped.

I open a savings and checking account at PNC Bank. The rep say that they have good rates. I'm interested in buying a home. After a couple weeks my husband and I decided to go for it. We applied. Got pre-approved. We started looking for houses with our realtor. Was not able to find one to our liking so we decided to get an extension. The loan officer was nowhere to be found and the bank could not give me any information of where my paperwork and all my information was. This made me very pissed because how could you not know where the loan officer is. I called the head office. No one could give me an answer. Then finally realized that he had quit and my file was not with anyone. So...

They were trying to make it up to me by giving me a new loan officer, this means running my credit again and all that. They asked me for information as requested when getting a loan. They asked for the same thing 4 different times. They don't communicate with each other. It doesn't matter how much time you give them the information they asked for. They always ask it again. One week before my closing date they asked me to lock in an homeowner insurance. My realtor say you cannot lock-in an insurance unless you're sure you getting the house. Things they say they need my green card. I was like, "I gave it to you." It even got more weird when they call my husband asking him if he will be living in the house with me and called me asking me if my husband will be living with me. They even asked for marriage certificate.

4 days before the closing date my realtor asked the loan officer if he needs to put in for an extension so that if they need more time they will have it. He said, "No. You don't need to". 2 days before the closing date they send me a TEXT MESSAGE saying, "We PNC do not accept your green card. You green card must not have an expiration date". (Everyone know that a green have expired date on them.) The following day I had to asked for a denial letter to try save my $5000 earnest money that I had put down. When they finally sent me the denial letter they addressed it to me and not my husband and I. They also sent me a letter in the mail that they generate from March 22, 2017 mailed April 4, 2017. I got the letter April 7, 2017 the day I was to be closing for my house. PNC Bank is the worst. I will never recommend them or do business of any sort again.

PNC is the worst ever!!! What you read online is different than what they see. They love overdraft fees. Something about pending transactions. I have been very sick and had to even go in my 401 for money to get meds. Well they TOOK it all. Tried to call them for help nothing at all. I have been with a dry long time but now I am out and going to Provident Bank so much better!!! Don't use them... EVER.

I have been a PNC customer for years. They constantly take 6-7 days to take a 8.00 dollar charge out your account and they hit you with a 36.00 dollar fee for each item and tell you the charge is pending. Why the hell is it still pending. They also take just as long to give you a correct balance, so you may check your account after a few days and not even make a transaction, it may say you have 280.00 when really you have 60 dollars. So now you're charged all these overdraft fees plus a 7.00 dollar a day fee for every day your account is overdrafted. They are a modern day scam. As of today I'm switching to a credit union. ** this made up bank with no benefits.

Applied for a home equity installment loan. After a drawn out application process, our appraisal came back much lower than it should. Measurements which I watched the appraiser make were misreported, resulting in a reduction in our square footage of about 20%. The comps ranged from 217k to 240k and did not include the house next door which is the identical model which sold a month ago for 240k. The appraiser selected the lowest comp and arbitrarily assigned that value with no explanation as to why that house, which is significantly smaller than ours was selected.

When I pointed this out to the loan officer, he insisted on telling me multiple times that in order to change this, we would have to provide comps AND BLUEPRINTS for them to send to the appraisers and then maybe they might reconsider the valuation. I informed him that we had no blueprints and he repeated multiple times that I would have to obtain them.

Finally, trying to get rid of him because I needed to work, I told him I would send some if I could "pull them out of my ass". I don't make a habit of speaking this way to people I am trying to do business with, but as I mentioned, he kind of pressed my limits. I was pretty shocked when this statement was met with him feigning offense. Let's face it; you can't turn on the TV or walk through a local mall without hearing worse than this. After considering his offense further, I have come to the conclusion that this was simply a childish attempt to control the engagement by shaming the customer.

I asked my wife and co-applicant to call back and request a new loan officer be assigned due to our clear personality conflict. So a few days later I called back to learn the status. I was informed that the same person was still assigned to our application at which time I responded that if PNC would not honor my request for a new loan officer, I really did not want to continue dealing with them.

They then had another person call me to ask about the situation and repeat that in order to get them to reconsider the valuation, I would have to do the appraisers' job and include blueprints, which to my knowledge do not even exist. So I'm fed up at this point and having my vacation totally messed with because of trying to deal with these things, and then while answering her questions about my dealings with the other loan officer, I told her what I had said to him that had offended him - not as a direct statement to her, but as a quote; "I told **...". To my amazement, her reaction was identical; she attempted to shame me, admonishing me to not cuss at her because this was supposed to be a professional conversation.

Ok, again I didn't say anything that won't be heard 2-3 times per hour on prime time TV or much more frequently in public places, so this is clearly not a real offense but some contrivance apparently designed to control customer's behavior. And if PNC is using tactics such as this to control customer's behavior, then I suspect that they are using other tactics - like artificially low appraisals - to control their profit margins. Lucky for me, I don't NEED their money, my credit is excellent and every lender in town wants my business and I can be just as well off without the loan. I highly recommend AVOIDING PNC LIKE THE PLAGUE!!

I missed a line of credit payment due to not receiving the bill on time. I was notified via mail about this from PNC. As soon as I received the letter I call their 800 customer service number to get it resolved. They couldn't help me so I had to go to a branch. I went to the first branch where I wrote a check for the missed payment but they said they couldn't do anything about the fees without a manager approval. So I went to another branch who told me they couldn't help so I had to go to a third branch.

At this point, I learned that the check I wrote was deposited by the first branch a regular monthly payment instead of toward the missed payment. Long story short, I have $145 of fees for a missed payment of $111.58. I am livid with the bank. They are unwilling to waive anything which is beyond unreasonable. This is not the first problem I have had with them. PNC is one of the more aggressive banks for credit but beware... they are terrible to deal with. Absolutely the most incompetent people work here.

I was wondering why a transaction stay pending for 3 to 4 days on your account. I was told by a customer service agent that I should not go by my available balance. I was charged overdraft because they held four pendings for 3 days. When I had the manager at the Burke, Virginia branch look up my account it showed that I was charged for three items twice. He said he would look into it and call me back. He never did call so I called him and he had nothing but excuses. We looked at the screen together in his office and I showed him where the items were charged and he agreed. So the next day he wouldn't talk to me and put someone else on the phone. He faxed me a copy of my transaction page and it was not the page that we looked at. I asked him for a copy of that page and he wouldn't send it to me. They ended up taking over a hundred dollars from me in overdraft charges.

This is the second time this has happened within a month. I check my account twice a day. I look at my balance, look at my pending withdraws and my available balance and that's what I go by. I was told by the bank that I shouldn't depend on my available balance. They said I should keep a written ledger. Shouldn't your available balance be correct? This happened on the 13th of March. Now today is March 27 and I still have pending transactions from March 24.

Now I guess they are waiting to send all in at once again like they been doing. They said all banks do it this way. I talked to some of my coworkers who have different banks and they said they never have that problem. Even when I go to the bank to make a cash withdraw it shows pending for two days on my account. I made sure that the money was in the account at that time and they sent in five pendings at one time and it made me overdraft. I think it's time for me to look for a new bank and tell everyone I know to stay away from PNC.

I have always been sure to "opt out" of overdraft protection. It was explained to me that my debit card could not be used to cause an overdraft on my account and would be declined if there were insufficient funds. PNC informed me that my account had been overdrawn due to a trial offer that had been charged to my card. They came up with all kinds of stipulations that weren't mentioned when I opted out and said I would have to pay overdraft fees. I told them I was not about to pay over 3000% of the original amount of the overdraft, especially when it should not have been processed. In the end I spoke to a representative who told me I could go into a local PNC Bank to pay the original overdraft amount.

I went in to deposit the small amount and was informed that my account was closed. In the meantime, my taxes had already been filed. In short, my electronic tax refund should have been rejected because the account was closed. PNC deliberately LIED to me when I went in to take care of the overdraft balance. They did not want to honor what their representative told me so they chose to wait and intercept my tax refund. They took out a total of $164.00 above the original $8.98 overdraft. Then they had the nerve to send me a check for the balance stating that there was an "OVERPAYMENT" on my account, as if they were doing me a favor. They lied to me about the account being closed, then they stole my money. They chose greed over customer loyalty or fair dealing.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.
  • Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.
  • Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.
  • Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.
  • Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.
  • Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.
  • Best for PNC is best for customers who live near a PNC Bank branch. For those consumers, PNC is a viable banking solution for those seeking a full-service bank with investing access.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions