PNC Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

PNC is the worst ever!!! What you read online is different than what they see. They love overdraft fees. Something about pending transactions. I have been very sick and had to even go in my 401 for money to get meds. Well they TOOK it all. Tried to call them for help nothing at all. I have been with a dry long time but now I am out and going to Provident Bank so much better!!! Don't use them... EVER.

I have been a PNC customer for years. They constantly take 6-7 days to take a 8.00 dollar charge out your account and they hit you with a 36.00 dollar fee for each item and tell you the charge is pending. Why the hell is it still pending. They also take just as long to give you a correct balance, so you may check your account after a few days and not even make a transaction, it may say you have 280.00 when really you have 60 dollars. So now you're charged all these overdraft fees plus a 7.00 dollar a day fee for every day your account is overdrafted. They are a modern day scam. As of today I'm switching to a credit union. ** this made up bank with no benefits.

Applied for a home equity installment loan. After a drawn out application process, our appraisal came back much lower than it should. Measurements which I watched the appraiser make were misreported, resulting in a reduction in our square footage of about 20%. The comps ranged from 217k to 240k and did not include the house next door which is the identical model which sold a month ago for 240k. The appraiser selected the lowest comp and arbitrarily assigned that value with no explanation as to why that house, which is significantly smaller than ours was selected.

When I pointed this out to the loan officer, he insisted on telling me multiple times that in order to change this, we would have to provide comps AND BLUEPRINTS for them to send to the appraisers and then maybe they might reconsider the valuation. I informed him that we had no blueprints and he repeated multiple times that I would have to obtain them.

Finally, trying to get rid of him because I needed to work, I told him I would send some if I could "pull them out of my ass". I don't make a habit of speaking this way to people I am trying to do business with, but as I mentioned, he kind of pressed my limits. I was pretty shocked when this statement was met with him feigning offense. Let's face it; you can't turn on the TV or walk through a local mall without hearing worse than this. After considering his offense further, I have come to the conclusion that this was simply a childish attempt to control the engagement by shaming the customer.

I asked my wife and co-applicant to call back and request a new loan officer be assigned due to our clear personality conflict. So a few days later I called back to learn the status. I was informed that the same person was still assigned to our application at which time I responded that if PNC would not honor my request for a new loan officer, I really did not want to continue dealing with them.

They then had another person call me to ask about the situation and repeat that in order to get them to reconsider the valuation, I would have to do the appraisers' job and include blueprints, which to my knowledge do not even exist. So I'm fed up at this point and having my vacation totally messed with because of trying to deal with these things, and then while answering her questions about my dealings with the other loan officer, I told her what I had said to him that had offended him - not as a direct statement to her, but as a quote; "I told **...". To my amazement, her reaction was identical; she attempted to shame me, admonishing me to not cuss at her because this was supposed to be a professional conversation.

Ok, again I didn't say anything that won't be heard 2-3 times per hour on prime time TV or much more frequently in public places, so this is clearly not a real offense but some contrivance apparently designed to control customer's behavior. And if PNC is using tactics such as this to control customer's behavior, then I suspect that they are using other tactics - like artificially low appraisals - to control their profit margins. Lucky for me, I don't NEED their money, my credit is excellent and every lender in town wants my business and I can be just as well off without the loan. I highly recommend AVOIDING PNC LIKE THE PLAGUE!!

I missed a line of credit payment due to not receiving the bill on time. I was notified via mail about this from PNC. As soon as I received the letter I call their 800 customer service number to get it resolved. They couldn't help me so I had to go to a branch. I went to the first branch where I wrote a check for the missed payment but they said they couldn't do anything about the fees without a manager approval. So I went to another branch who told me they couldn't help so I had to go to a third branch.

At this point, I learned that the check I wrote was deposited by the first branch a regular monthly payment instead of toward the missed payment. Long story short, I have $145 of fees for a missed payment of $111.58. I am livid with the bank. They are unwilling to waive anything which is beyond unreasonable. This is not the first problem I have had with them. PNC is one of the more aggressive banks for credit but beware... they are terrible to deal with. Absolutely the most incompetent people work here.

I was wondering why a transaction stay pending for 3 to 4 days on your account. I was told by a customer service agent that I should not go by my available balance. I was charged overdraft because they held four pendings for 3 days. When I had the manager at the Burke, Virginia branch look up my account it showed that I was charged for three items twice. He said he would look into it and call me back. He never did call so I called him and he had nothing but excuses. We looked at the screen together in his office and I showed him where the items were charged and he agreed. So the next day he wouldn't talk to me and put someone else on the phone. He faxed me a copy of my transaction page and it was not the page that we looked at. I asked him for a copy of that page and he wouldn't send it to me. They ended up taking over a hundred dollars from me in overdraft charges.

This is the second time this has happened within a month. I check my account twice a day. I look at my balance, look at my pending withdraws and my available balance and that's what I go by. I was told by the bank that I shouldn't depend on my available balance. They said I should keep a written ledger. Shouldn't your available balance be correct? This happened on the 13th of March. Now today is March 27 and I still have pending transactions from March 24.

Now I guess they are waiting to send all in at once again like they been doing. They said all banks do it this way. I talked to some of my coworkers who have different banks and they said they never have that problem. Even when I go to the bank to make a cash withdraw it shows pending for two days on my account. I made sure that the money was in the account at that time and they sent in five pendings at one time and it made me overdraft. I think it's time for me to look for a new bank and tell everyone I know to stay away from PNC.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

I have always been sure to "opt out" of overdraft protection. It was explained to me that my debit card could not be used to cause an overdraft on my account and would be declined if there were insufficient funds. PNC informed me that my account had been overdrawn due to a trial offer that had been charged to my card. They came up with all kinds of stipulations that weren't mentioned when I opted out and said I would have to pay overdraft fees. I told them I was not about to pay over 3000% of the original amount of the overdraft, especially when it should not have been processed. In the end I spoke to a representative who told me I could go into a local PNC Bank to pay the original overdraft amount.

I went in to deposit the small amount and was informed that my account was closed. In the meantime, my taxes had already been filed. In short, my electronic tax refund should have been rejected because the account was closed. PNC deliberately LIED to me when I went in to take care of the overdraft balance. They did not want to honor what their representative told me so they chose to wait and intercept my tax refund. They took out a total of $164.00 above the original $8.98 overdraft. Then they had the nerve to send me a check for the balance stating that there was an "OVERPAYMENT" on my account, as if they were doing me a favor. They lied to me about the account being closed, then they stole my money. They chose greed over customer loyalty or fair dealing.

The bank has held up my check from the insurance company for 3 weeks delaying the repairs of my damaged home. If there are any more damages I would hope this bank would cover them. Also when calling in it asks for my last 4 of my social security or the call would not go through then the no customer service person refused to ask me another security question after giving her my full name account number and address. The check was to be mailed out last week (overnight) because they have not endorsed it and returned it to me. I asked to speak to a supervisor and that could take 48 hrs. This is poor customer no service I do not expect out of a bank. I should have used my local bank where they are more friendly. Never again will I recommend this bank to anyone.

I opened an account with this bank. They said I had 90 days before a minimum balance fee would hit. To avoid that, I'll have to maintain a minimum average balance of $1,500. My business wasn't doing so great so I decided to just close the account so that I don't get charged the fees. They said I would have to pay $25 to CLOSE the account before 180 days!! So either I have to pay $25 now to close it or $36 to close it after 180 days! What the hell kind of a policy is that?? It's daylight extortion! Small businesses beware!

When going in to cash in a bond the line was slow then the girl said "Be right back." Never came back. So went to another teller who didn't know how to cash a bond. The previous girl says "Have a seat." 45 minutes later I get all my documents back and I had to argue with her to get them back saying "I have to leave. I gotta go to work if I'm gonna be late." She continued to give me excuses of why she hasn't had time to take off my transaction. So this is WHY I DO NOT bank with them. Slow service. Busy singing and talking to other co-workers.

Was promised that they would beat any processing for business that I could find - after 4 months, I checked my statements and realized I was paying over 3% in fees to process payments. I found a significantly wiser solution and they said I had committed to a 2 year contract which of course they never disclosed upfront. When I appealed, they denied and told me the finance team had denied my appeal. The customer service for Payeezy gateway is abysmal and they don't always answer the phone. The actual interface for Payeezy is also awful. When I went to close my PNC bank account, they charged me $25 to close the account and told me that normally I would be paying $50/month to have that account. There are so many unethical bankers/banks out there and PNC just re-confirms my opinion on that.

My mortgage was transferred from SWBC bank to PNC Bank, They screwed everything up. I got a letter from PNC that they would buy hazard insurance on my property because my existing insurance was expired. That was not the case. My insurance was valid and not expired. Then they wanted me to call my Insurance company and have them remove the existing mortgagee SWBC Bank to PNC Bank. I went ahead and did exactly what they told me and they even sent me a letter thanking me for taking care of this change.

Today I get a letter from my insurance company stating that my payment is late. PNC bank took $845 from my escrow account and made a payment to the wrong insurance company. I called my insurance company and they confirmed they did not get a payment. So I called PNC and that's when they hit me with the bomb, "We sent the payment to the wrong insurance company." I told the girl to make the payment asap and what they did was take the funds from my escrow account again to pay the correct insurance company. I asked her, "Why are you taking the payment from my escrow account. It's the bank's error???" She then went ahead and transferred me to another customer service rep and nothing was resolved.

Why does such a Billion dollar bank abuse its customers this way. Why didn't they just pay out of their account??? Why charge me twice for their error. Let the insurance company they paid in error deal directly with the bank, why do I have to watch for that other insurance company to credit my escrow account for the payment they received in error. I dealt with 2 associates in Ohio. I don't want to mention their names because they are just doing what the bank tells them to do. I am looking to refinance just to get my mortgage out of PNC Bank. I asked for a reference number and they don't have one to give me. My biggest fear is that this double deduction is going to throw my escrow account off and increase my mortgage payments. Please Help!!! Thank You.

Once again I was faced with this banking institution posting transactions, so they can charge overdraft fees. I find it shameful that a business take funds from me when, in essence, their processing procedures are inadequate, to say the least. To treat long time customers this way is tragic -- for their business anyway, for I can get over the $36 fee, but the disregard for my patronage is unacceptable.

Here is the thing with PNC Bank. They have a transaction processing system that is generated to charge me, the customer, a fee when there is no reason to do so. They do not allow the customer even a minor time period to monitor and correct their account's ever fluctuating balance because they want to charge fees and grow their bottom line. As a customer of PNC for over 25 years, I will find another banking institution soon. Until then, this aware and dissatisfied customer will refrain from using their products very much.

I deposited my children's adoption subsidy check on Friday. The same check I deposit every single month. It's Tuesday and the funds still are available and they say they won't be until tomorrow!!! 5 days! For a government check?? How the hell am I supposed to feed my kids!! I don't have money laying around! Give me my kids money!!! They are the worst! They never ever want to release your funds! I'm done, This is the last month I'm doing this!!!

Pnc Bank failed to transfer money from one account to another for 4 months but made me believe that they did. I tried to access my money and four weeks later they still will not give it to me. They failed to invest my money instead throwing it into an IRA savings account. I missed out on the NYSE jump from 10,000 pts to 20,000 pts. I am still trying to access my money. Today an agent was supposed to get back to me so I could access my money, he never did. I have to start all over again Monday! The best part is they are great at giving you the runaround and everything Takes Five Days!

Never get a custodial account for your child. Presently, my family and I have an 18-year-old living with us due to her unfortunate home life. She moved in with us several months ago and told us that she was having trouble accessing money from her PNC account. Her account was set up when she was younger, and now that she is age of majority in Maryland, which is 18, she should be able to have access to her own money. Well, she has no access.

This young lady has saved thousands of dollars through her great job at Chick-fil-A, and her family will not let her withdraw any of it. She is trying to register for classes at the community college, by a car, and has no access to this money because her family won't let her. In fact, after speaking with someone at the home office, they said her father could spend every dime and she would have no rights to her money. All of her money is traceable through her job paychecks, and I would like to know what kind of bank would set up a custodial account for a child that even though they become age of majority, they could never access their money? She could be 95 years old and still not be allowed to touch her account!!!

I am grateful that I have never banked at PNC, would never set up an account like that for my own children, and would recommend parents not set up accounts like this for their children. We are crippling our country's youth by not teaching them how to manage life on their own. Thank goodness this young lady has now set up a new bank account, with a new bank, and started new savings for herself. Shame on PNC for having accounts like this and shame on her parents for getting her set up in it. If I could give zero stars or negative stars to this company I would do it.

My wife called to close our son's savings account, which was a completely separate account and account number from our own account. The PNC rep required extensive verification of my son's account information, including speaking to my son and verifying all his vital information. At no time did the PNC rep get my wife and I's account number, SSN or any information regarding our account with PNC. Upon finally closing my son's account the rep stated "I've gone ahead and closed both accounts and you should receive a check in the mail for the balances within a couple days".

My wife quickly inquired as to "both accounts", at which time she learned that the PNC rep had also closed our checking account as well. My wife corrected the PNC rep and stated that there should only be one account closed for our son and to please re-open our checking account. The rep repeatedly stated that he could not stop the account from closing and that we would need to re-open the account in person by signing a new agreement, plus wait for the balance of our account to come by check and then re-deposit it into our account. Furious, my wife asked to speak to a manager. Upon speaking with the manager, the manager reiterated the same thing and even told me the same thing when I called a few minutes later to inquire.

Now I am forced to take time off of work in order to drive to the nearest PNC branch office (25 minutes away one way), sign our names again in order to re-open an account that we didn't wish to close, plus wait days to receive our account balance check in the mail, then have to redeposit those funds in order to refund our account and hope that none of our bills go overdue or unpaid! Unbelievable that with all the computer advancements we have today we actually have to wait longer and be more inconvenienced than if I had to ride my damn horse down to the bank in the year 1817! I will be depositing my check and my future banking business in another institution other than PNC upon closing my account once this is resolved! Terrible customer service and terrible business processes!

I've been having issues with PNC retirement 401k. I took out a loan, Feb 3 was my last payment needing to be paid. I've been calling them for the past 5 days to find out why I don't see transactions made from Jan 20. Money was taken out of my check but they show no history. Employees seem lost. Giving me the runaround. I've asked to speak to managers but all I get is "they will call you back". Pretty sad how they hire employees and managers that don't know what they are doing. I would love to add names of employees but it would not be too nice. Crappy service.

Consumer Increased Rating!

After three months and several hours of phone calls, I was able to reach a person at a higher level of training and customer satisfaction, Lisa **, and she was able to resolve my problem in less than 24 hours. I am very satisfied with the outcome and have learned a valuable lesson in persistence! Thank you.

Linda of Kent, WA on

Original Review

I had 30K SkyMiles I wanted to redeem before the December 28, 2016 deadline. I called the 800 number and talked to a representative who told me to go ahead and purchase an airline ticket before the end of December and the SkyMiles would show up as a credit on my December statement. This did not happen. I have spent several hours and numerous phone calls trying to get the SkyMiles credit, but to date it is still unresolved. When I asked the customer service rep what she was doing to help resolve my problem, she rudely informed me that she "was not going to disclose what we do internally." And that I was "not her only customer." How's that for customer service?

PNC has not upheld their end of the SkyMiles agreement and I cannot get an answer from customer service as to why the miles were not redeemed in December, or where the miles total can be located. I have redeemed Sky Miles in the past with no problem, but now, with the termination of the program, I feel PNC has somehow screwed up on their end and will not offer me an explanation. I have been a customer of PNC for many, many years, but have decided to move my business to another bank as a result of this debacle.

I have all my bills set up to be paid through online banking. They consistently pay my bills late, even though I set them up, well in advance, to be paid. This month, I got a bill for $350 from the cell phone company, because despite setting up a payment for last month, PNC did not send the money. They sent my water bill so late that I got a $250 bill saying I was $133 in arrears. I'm very responsible with my money and pay my bills on time, so I. Am. Furious. We're switching ASAP. This is the final straw. Avoid PNC. At ALL costs. Go anywhere else.

So I have done a lot of business with this company and they have the nerve to send me out a bad debit card that won't work. I've activated it and the only place I can use it is at the ATM. I have bills to pay that won't let you send checks or anything to pay the bill. It's all debit card or credit card nowadays. Or you're ** out of luck. They are trying to charge me 25 dollars for them to send out a debit card that they messed up with security code on. Which is so wrong. Just goes to show how loyal customers are treated.

When I sign in to PNC few years ago, I asked if they have office/branch in the capital area of LA, I was told yes. Few months later, we were in LA, drove over 2 hours looking for their branch posted on their website. Finally we learned that there was none. Last year, I came to the office, checking the rate of a property loan. Without my permission, the officer hard pulled my credit report. I went to different branch talking to a very good officer (he is no longer there), he suggested to get a credit card instead since the damage cannot be reversed. I got my son to apply a rental property loan with PNC. A commercial or loan officer insist my son to be present for all the signing. Few days later, he got a message saying that they don't do that type of loan anymore. The uninformed loan officer cost my son's a day of work for he is self-employed.

I filed a complaint but not publicly, hoping that PNC can used the feedback to improve their service. To my surprise, few weeks later, I received a letter basically saying, I was mistaken on all of my complaint. I cannot believe it. I did a online external withdraw to pay my loan, I did twice, my mistake. However, I cannot remove it. I called, no help. I visited the local office, I was told I must do it online by myself. I was very upset for I have spend more than 3 hours try to get one transfer removed via their website. I insist on talking to a officer. Then I was told they are short handed and will call me the next day to set up appointment. 4 or so days passed. No one called. I went to the same branch again, insist on talking to the officer to get it resolved. Somehow, she got it down. Removed all of the external transfer.

I then used void check for the same loan payment via my other bank. Somehow, there were two withdraws. Could be my mistake. I went to an office: "you have to do it online. nothing I can do". "Can I withdraw $700 due to extra money transfer for I don't have debit card". The answer: "yes, there will be $7 plus". That is, without debit card, if I want to draw money from my account, I must pay $7 plus; if I want to get the debit card, I still need to pay $7 plus. Lose lose proposition. Please don't send me any letter. I will pay off the loan in few month.

I would have given zero stars if that was an option!!! I have been a PNC customer for several years and this has been the worst experience ever!! I accidently transferred money to a ZERO balance credit card that was meant to be transferred to my checking account so that I could purchase airfare. As soon as I realized what happened, I called customer service to cancel the transfer. They "were unable to do so" because it was not a business day per customer service. I called back on Monday and was told at that time there was nothing that could be done besides requesting a reversal on the transfer which takes 10!!! business days.

I just called customer service today (9) days after this request and was told that the reversal was never requested on 1/23 and the only thing that they could do for me was to request a reversal today!!! So right back to square one where I have to wait 10 days to have MY money returned to my account with no way to expedite this request even though I had requested this reversal 9 days ago!!! This customer service is ridiculous!!! How could it be that difficult to return my $600 to my account that is also a PNC account. It's not like I paid a different credit card with that money, it literally was transferred within the SAME company. My husband and I will be pulling our money from PNC immediately and never return. UGH!!!

I contacted PNC Online but they brushed me off. I have a overdraft in my account that I cannot pay off. I only had enough funds to cover Wing Wings Cafe and Combined Insurance ONLY. I spoke with the NC Department of Revenue regarding my payment but because I am unemployed, I wasn't able to make the payment for January. I expected the bank to reject the payment but didn't so, I cannot pay the overdraft in my account. PNC should adjust my account because I didn't have the funds to cover the payment when it should have been rejected. Thank You.

My experience with PNC bank was awful. I'm giving PNC bank 1 star. I recently got a car loan from the PNC bank. They have sent me my first statement on Jan 20th, 2017 and the payment due date is Jan 24th, 2017. What?? I called the bank to find out why this happened and I was on hold for 1 hr. &10 min. Never again will I do business with PNC bank.

I have been a loyal customer for 2 years. Recently I feel like they have done everything they can to make my life as miserable as possible. They have been overdrawing my account with so many fees that it is ending up more than my actual paycheck. When I call customer service I get told, "Wow you make decent money... Let's see what we can do to resolve this situation," and all I am told is that the "system" is the one who decides what goes thru and what bounces... Tell me when a check has posted to your account for more than a week. There is an overdraft fee on the check and then randomly it is sent back? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

They return a check for $22.71 3 TIMES and charge me a $36.00 fee each time, but send a check thru 2 days later for $100.00? Now something is shady... And when I call all I am told is again the "system decides"... I will no longer do business with this bank and will be telling all my friends and family to do the same. Because of these fees I am about to lose my house, car, electric, phones. It's horrible!!!

I opened this account to complain about how greedy and stupid PNC is. I had this account to pay for my tuition with Penn State and keep using it for my salary and paying back my family student loans. On a Friday I scheduled a Popmoney payment but got a nice new apartment application on the following Saturday. I stopped the payment to my family before it went out, and on their Popmoney page they claim the money will be back in 2 business days. I woke up on Tuesday morning the money still paid out instead of staying on my account or coming back. Now I'm over-drafting. I called and the answer from whomever picked up my phone is, "Popmoney payment will be back within 3-4 business days, this is also in your confirmation email from us. Your money will be back tomorrow as we tried our best." Nice, then I filled in a customer complaint asking them updating their stupid misleading website about the 2 business days promise.

This morning, I woke up, guess what, no money coming back. I called, the answer is tomorrow again. Meanwhile I wrote a paycheck to USCIS as $380 dollars and the payment I cancelled is $400. Now even the $400 comes back it's not enough to cover the $380 check anymore because they charged me extra $36, so either they pay for the check and charge me again, or USCIS got a bounce check, which I want to avoid. Ok, I will have to let you charge me again. Nice move. Why your overdraft didn't happen the same way like 3-4 business days, at least 2 business days later? I'm leaving, say for sure. This is the best I can do.

We have had a vehicle loan with PNC for the past four years. Always have been on time with payments. Wanted to pay off loan and sell the vehicle on our own. Went to local branch and paid off loan. Was told that the receipt they proving would be accepted as a release of Lien at the MI Secretary of States. Bad info as it was not accepted. Called to have them fax or email a copy of lien release. They don't email, only fax and it takes 48 hours to process a fax request. Get with the times PNC. Fax was not received after waiting two days so asked them to fax again. Was told this is another request so it will take another 48 hours. How is this bank still in business?

I would give ZERO stars, but it made me choose at least one. On Saturday January 14th PNC Bank on 13th street in Gainesville, Florida refused to cash a check off of my business account because the teller was "teaching me a lesson" (HER words, NOT mine). It is my business account and I was trying to cash a check I wrote to myself for cash.

I also was on my 4th trip to this branch to sign a paper so that I could transfer money between my business and personal accounts. I drive 33.7 miles ONE way to go to this bank, 67.4 miles round trip, and this was my fourth time calling ahead and being told to come and they would do it, just to get there and be told they are too busy and can't do it. I told her that I would be closing my accounts since I had been making trips since October to get this done and they were still not doing it. She did not like what I had to say and told me until I would sit down and listen to her, she was not going to cash my check. She handed the check back and told me to call the 800 line. I went outside and called the number and told them that the teller was refusing to cash my check. They looked over my account and said there was absolutely NO reason for her not to cash it. They told me to go back inside and cash it.

I walked back into the branch and went to a DIFFERENT teller and told her to either cash it or close both accounts, but I needed my money. The first teller walked over and told the second teller that no one else but her is allowed to help me. I then asked on several different occasions that they close both my business and personal accounts. The teller refused. She would not let me get any money out of my account. I immediately called back to the 800 line and the representative tried to call the branch and tell them to cash it, but the branch had already closed. She then filed a formal complaint with their retail escalation department and assured me that someone would contact me Tuesday January 17th.

On the 17th I called to the branch and spoke to the branch manager and explained everything to her. I also informed her that this was not our first problem with this account. I had already been banking with PNC for some time, but had never used this particular branch, I was told that this branch is the only one who can do anything with a business account. It seemed strange to me that I could only use one certain branch, but I scheduled the appointment anyway and decided I would just start using that branch. I had an appointment set up to open my business account and arrived at the bank just to be told that the only lady working at the bank that deals with business accounts did not come to work because her kid was sick.

Second red flag, I can only use one branch and one certain banker for my business account. And she did not even bother to call and tell me not to come! She let me drive over 30 miles one way and she was not there. So, I got very upset and another banker helped me. He did not know what he was doing to set the account up, could barely answer any of my questions, and continually had to keep calling the lady that did not show up and ask her questions. If he called and she did not answer, we had to sit and wait for her to call back. It took me almost 3 hours just to open a checking account. He assure me that this is not normal practice for them and it would not be like this all the time. He also said that I had to come back and see the business account lady when she was available so we could discuss what type of account I needed and make sure the one he opened would work for me.

She finally called me over a week later, and did not discuss anything about my account being the right one for my business. I called and made a complaint and they assured me that from then on I would get the help I need with my account. At this point, over a week later, my husband still did not have his debit card. We had received the pin number, but not the card. He drives a semi truck and has to go all over the country, he needed his card to pay for fuel and expenses. I called the 800 line to ask about the card and was told that the banker who opened the account had never ordered the card in the first place. So I asked to please get it ordered because my husband had to have it for work. They said they couldn't do it and I had to go to the branch.

So, another trip to the branch. Once again, the only lady in the branch who can handle business accounts was not at work. She was sick. So I told the same person who opened my account that he did not order my husband's debit card. He seemed amused about it and said he would order one. My husband asked for someone to speak to us about our account because he had a few questions, we were told that they couldn't answer them, we would have to come back and speak to the lady who handles business accounts. The same lady who is never there.

Finally, another week passes, and my husband's card came. But, we still did not have the new pin number. We called the 800 number to get them to assign a pin so my husband could leave (He was loaded and had to be in Indiana the next day) and they told they can't give him a pin, he has to wait for it in the mail. He explained that this is his business account, he had to use it to pay for fuel, and he was loaded and had to go. They told him to just use it as credit. He explained that he was not using it as credit because truck stops charge a higher fuel price if you use credit. The guy told him again, just use it as credit anyway.

My husband finally said "Ok then, if I ran it as credit are you going to pay the 20 cents a gallon difference that it will cost me?" The guy asked what he meant and my husband said, "it costs 20 cents per gallon more if I use credit. It saves me 20 cents per gallon to use debit." The guy then told him he was sorry but he couldn't do it. So my husband told him to set an appointment because he was on the way to the branch to close the account and get his money. The guy then told my husband that wouldn't be necessary, and he went ahead and set the pin number up.

From that time until now, I have made 4 trips to that branch to sign the paper to be able to transfer between my two accounts and still did not get it done. It is now Wednesday the 18th and NO ONE, NO ONE at all from PNC has called me to discuss this! I called their Corporate Head Quarters and the lady I spoke to told me that I was wasting my time because the teller was within her rights, that PNC doesn't cash checks.

I said "ma'am, I have cashed MANY MANY MANY checks at PNC". She told me No I haven't, because they don't do that. I said "So, you're calling me a liar?" She said, "we don't cash checks". I said, "it is MY CHECK WRITTEN TO ME!" She said "we only deposit checks". I said "number one, I have cashed more checks than I can count at PNC, so stop calling me a liar and number 2, how can I deposit a check into the same account it is written on? So, I write the check and deposit into the same exact account I wrote it off of then I can get my money?" SHE SAID YES! I can NOT believe that she thinks that is possible and she is the banker!! Please do NOT EVER use PNC for any reason at all! They DO NOT care about their customers!!!

I having bad experience with PNC Bank. I feel like the bank owe me because last year 2016 a scammer give me a check. I went to PNC Bank teller. They said yes cash check. Now keep charging fee of $7.00 every get my social security or money from my job. I think should get sued. I been with them long time.

I use to really love this bank, but lately they have turned into a greedy, vampire company. First I noticed a few months ago they hired new people for their over the phone customer service. Every time I called I would be told something different. When I explained to them I had done the process that I was calling for several times, I would get different answers. One CS person told me that I should not have been able to complete my process in the past. She stated that they weren't allowed to do that and that she was going to file a complaint against the CS Reps that allowed that Process. (Never ever heard this said from an employee at this banking company.)

Fast forward a month later I had paid my online bills one day, well they held payments for over a week. They gave the excuse that since it was during the holidays my bills were held from being paid. I made a few purchases and the next day I get an email saying I had overdraft fees. I'm like what, I have money in my account. When I go to check, my account was an -$150. They had applied four overdraft fees. I called them about this and they had paid some bill that just came in from a while ago and paid the remaining bills.

So every time a bill or payment went through they penalized me $36. I had a fit and they refused to give me any of the one back when it was their mistake and their laziness that caused the issue. On top of that every day my account is negative. They take $7 from it daily until it's no longer negative. I'm beyond pissed at this greedy bank now and am in the process of closing all accounts with them. This is a shame and should be illegal when they are holding my money and taking it as well.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.
  • Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.
  • Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.
  • Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.
  • Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.
  • Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.
  • Best for PNC is best for customers who live near a PNC Bank branch. For those consumers, PNC is a viable banking solution for those seeking a full-service bank with investing access.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions