PNC Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

While talking with Carol ** of Mentor office she acts as the bank manager, however when asking her why one charge over 2000.00 was taken out twice she says "whatever". Well someone needs to have her find a new job. We are seriously looking to move our 4 accounts elsewhere after her treatment and her response is "whatever". Really? Is this who PNC wants to represent their company? So sad. She said we have to wait 14 days or more to fix this because it's a computer error.

Well I know a thing or two about computers, and they need a human to push the buttons on the keyboard. She then told me that all the other companies that put the charges thru are the ones at fault and that the bank does not monitor duplicate charges. Well I found a banker who told me that they work with the customer when these things happen and they don't say "**" like whatever to their customers and I will bet that PNC does not care for this practice either. Please send Carol to a management class and customer service seminars without pay!

Today I had the most unlawful experience with PNC Bank. I called earlier in the day because I was double charged for a service and the representative shut down my card without my consent and or verbally telling me. To add more insult to injury... when I called their retail escalation line they threatened me with small little threats. I'm shocked that I've been treated this way. I'm hoping this doesn't happen to anyone else.

The mobile banking app is horrible. I was doing a mobile deposit from my Business PNC account to my Personal PNC account late one evening. I do this 2 or more times a month. The funds are always available immediately because it's a PNC to PNC transfer. I made this deposit about the time PNC came out with this "available immediate funds program." The box came up on the screen asking if I want the funds to be available immediately. My thought was sure I do, it's always available immediately. I clicked the box not knowing there was $60 fee attached to this normal function I do a couple of times a month.

I called PNC and was told that I checked the box so the fee is valid. As soon as my business slows down in the winter months, I am switching banks for my business, my personal account, savings account, and my children's accounts. The fees are OUTRAGEOUS. This is not the first time I have had fees over something stupid with PNC. This is the first time I have ever written a negative review about any business in my entire 50 years of life. PNC stinks. It's time to bank with a more modern bank with excellent customer service.

I have been a PNC customer for, oh, probably 20 years, and have watched it deteriorate so badly over the years. It used to be a pleasant and friendly experience to stop in the Monroeville office. There used to be a service kiosk as you walk in, and they took care of many items like depositing checks, and other small things to take a load off the tellers. There were lots of other little nice things. They did a remodel about a year ago --- got rid of the kiosk and cut down the teller windows to 4 --- usually only 2 or 3 of which are open. I had to deposit a check on Tuesday, August 30, and the line was so long and slow that I left. I stopped again this morning Sept. 1, and it was even worse, 14 people in a line that wasn't moving. I asked to speak to a manager. Jamella said, “Well it's a Friday before a holiday on Monday,” as if to say --- "Well what do you expect." My exact words were "I expect better".

I am 73 years old and have back and leg trouble, and I just can't wait in these long lines. There were workers in cubicles, Brett and Marc were standing around doing nothing. People all over, but 3-4 poor tellers, breaking their backs, trying to do their best to satisfy the disgruntled customers. You know, it's always the lowest workers that have the burden, that get cut when profits are down. But you can afford to spend millions on naming PNC Park, advertising a section at Heinz Field, and all the other advertising and waste, but you can't spend small potatoes on a few tellers to help customers. Well I guess you want to force your customers to go “on-line” anyhow --- so what if you lose some of us "old people". Well, it's some of us "old people", that have a lot of the assets, and you are making a good attempt to lose them --- if that's want you want.

There were Stan withdrawals made with my card using my PIN number. I did not make these withdrawals as I was home sleep with my PNC card in my possession. But earlier that day I used an ATM at a gas station. I believe my card was cloned at that ATM. I called pnc once I notice money was missing and file a dispute on the withdrawals that were not me. They denied my dispute and told me my pin was used that the withdrawals were ruled mine. My bills, food, etc. all gone because pnc let someone take money out my account. Do not use this bank. They are frauds. They do not protect your account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

We have been banking with PNC since 2009, we had no major problems with them until June 2016, at which time, my address was changed to an address in Miami. I caught it in time, thank God, but a manager at the call center told me that my money was about to of been transferred out. I pulled my savings out and put it in another bank. We kept the PNC checking account due to both my husband and my paychecks are direct deposited, and we also have loans that are auto withdrawal from that account. We have had no other issues since then.

So on the 11th of August we went in and applied for a credit card, to transfer a balance too. On the 12 a Bank of America account was attached to my account under the transfers options. I did not catch it until the following week. There are definitely some fraudulent people in this organization. I personally think this last incident was done by Julie. The person who handled our credit card application. I am debating legal action at this point. If anyone else has had similar issues with PNC please let me know.

Good bank, always a teller available inside and outside. There is the drive up ATM and also two drive thru teller lanes. All lanes are open when the bank is open. The bank hours are great for my schedule, and my debit card links to my checking, so I can make deposits/withdrawals, check my balance or most anything at the drive up ATM, anytime I like. Oh, and if I lose my debit card, I can have another made at a different PNC bank that's also local, while I wait! No need to wait to get it in the mail. That I find to be a very handy feature.

My husband and I have bank here a little over a year now. We had to open the bank account due to direct deposit at work. Everything had been going fine until the last couple of months. Every week there has been an overdraft fee charged to our account. I'm not sure if the online banking can keep up with how much money is actually in our bank or what the issue may be. One minute it's fine and it says we have money and by the next morning, always a day and two before we get paid, it says we are in the negative. We called the bank to see what the problem was and why this was occurring and they blame us. We even started going to the bank every time before we spend anything and getting a receipt and it still wouldn't help. We are not happy about this at all. We are definitely switching banks and do not recommend this bank to anyone.

In a recent review of my business accounts it was discovered that PNC Bank was incorrectly charging fees on my accounts. I brought this to the attention of the bank manager I was told that corrections would be made and no future fees would be incurred. In addition, fees already charged would be refunded. To date I have been refunded fees incurred in 2017. I am being told that no refunds would be made for 2016 because the fiscal year was already closed. My situation is being likened to a fraudulent debit card transaction that was not reported for six months which would relieve the bank of responsibility to investigate. This matter has been escalated above the regional level and we are awaiting review and resolution.

Used their new express deposit feature for the first time. My check was not cleared right away, apparently it did not go through. I got charged an overdraft fee as well as $21. I spoke to 5 different supervisors as well as managers and they refuse to credit back my account. I regret ever changing banks, I am going back to Chase. Stay away from this money hungry, scamming bank.

They are not what they use to be. They put my money in wrong account. Has taken my name off my checking and put someone else on it. I have been with them since the 90's.

I have 3 accounts at PNC. I have been banking with them for years. I can reach customer service anytime needed in minutes. Someone compromised my debit card and they notified me within an hour of transaction I didn't make. They immediately cancelled my card and sent me a new one and took the fraudulent charge off my account.

Initially I was happy with PNC but now I feel it is a crap bank and I wish I'd never opened an account with them. Their mobile banking app sucks and doesn't always update in real time to reflect debit card purchases. This in turn has caused overdraft fees and a negative balance because as a customer you think there is more money in the account than there really is. Per their own customer service people the app is not reliable so you have to check the full website to track all transactions ALL. THE. TIME. Mobile banking is not a new concept yet their system is completely antiquated. As soon as my transactions for bills go through I will be switching banks.

I called online banking at PNC and wanted to pay my monthly balance with twice as I am due to pay. They charged me a fee of $35 for contacting them a few minutes after 6:00 Pm. They said the cut off hour is 6:00 pm and after that hour I would get a late charge. Secondly, their online tellers or bankers have made lots of mistake about my account and they don't take responsibility for their actions. Last year, I ordered check book, they never sent me the book. When I called, they said that there is no order for the check book. These are just a very few examples. There are some other good banks such as TD bank. Quit this bank and go some other good banks around the neighborhood. This bank sucks the blood of people with their fees and don't take care of the customer. Quit and go somewhere else. Give them a huge lesson that customer is always right!

I am charged some or the other service fee almost every month by PNC. I had to call their team every time and ask the reason for the charge. They say that I had taken some service which I had no idea and when I explain them in details, they do return the amount back to me. However this month i.e. Aug 2017 on 4th they charged me a service fee which I had not taken. I had to call them to refund the amount and after explaining with all patience I got my amount back on 7th Aug 2017. Surprisingly they again charged the amount on 8th August 2017 and when I called them for the refund they bluntly said they will not going to refund the amount.

This is really not fair on Bank to debit my account. All I want is refund into my account. When I opened the account first they told me that as long as I do not do over the counter transaction, there will not be any charge even if the account balance is at ‘0’, but later they started charging me for not maintaining balance though I did not do any over the counter transaction. I had to call them about the charge, and then PNC BANK customer care person told that I have to maintain the balance even though I do not involve in any over the counter transaction. When I said this is not what I was told, he said the rules is that I need to maintain min balance of $500. ALL I WANT ME MY AMOUNT TO BE REFUNDED. All these unauthorized debits without properly educating the customer is not correct on your part.

When PNC bought out Mercantile Bank all the problems began. In the past few years I have had to change the type of checking account I have with them every year to avoid the newest fees. It's bad enough that they decided to no longer offer me images of my checks unless I pay a fee, but now they want to charge a fee for me to get my monthly statement! Now that I have the most basic, low balance account you can get, they are charging me $7 for not keeping a $500 minimum average in my account. How does that hurt the bank? They had no answer. I explain that I put about $2600 a month into the account, and then pay all my bills which takes it right back out.

Am I supposed to not pay a few bills to keep the balance up for them?! They explain that sometimes it depends on when the check recipients deposit their checks. How do I have any control on when the companies that I'm paying take the money from my account?! They don't care. I am told that if I have direct deposit then I don't have to keep the $500 minimum. If the minimum doesn't matter then why do I have to keep it at all?! They are now trying to dictate how I bank or pay a fee. I was offered at one point 'overdraft protection', for money to be automatically be transferred from my savings to my checking to cover any unintended overdraft. Made good sense to me. During a rare overdraft (bad math on my part) my savings account covered the difference, for a fee!!! All these fees are nothing more than penalties. Who penalizes its customers for doing business with them rather than encouraging it?! I am moving my accounts elsewhere!!!

Let me start off by saying that PNC Bank is very untrustworthy and a big scam! The credibility of PNC Bank is like getting a degree from Trump University! Beware of PNC Bank because it doesn't care about its customers and only cares about making money. Switch to another bank and close you PNC Bank now! Here is my story:

I just noticed that after many years (10+ years) of being a valued customer at PNC Bank, I am very angry that PNC started to charge me $3.00 for service charge fees each time I view a deposit ticket online. I was never charged with this ridiculously service fee in my entire PNC life. I personally spoke with a PNC representative at a local PNC branch and I was told that PNC had charged $3.00 service charge fee for a long time. This is totally wrong for me since I never got a bank service charge in my 10+ years at PNC Bank when viewing deposit tickets online. The representative did her research and never found any service charge in my 10+ years at PNC bank, except this unfortunate day. I was charged 7 times of $3.00 each for viewing a deposit ticket online in one single day! This is absurdly a crazy big scam and unethical in robbing our hard-earned money.

My family has other online banking accounts and they never had to pay a bank service fee for viewing their deposits online. PNC Bank should stop charging a bank service fee each time we view a deposit ticket! I bet a lot of people also fell into the same scam and was surprised by this $3.00 service charge fee. This is beyond our wildest imagination! Imagine this: $3.00 service bank fee per viewing deposit ticket times 52 months in a year equal $364.00. Imagine this again: $364.00 times the total amount of PNC customers potentially being charged by this scheme and you will end up millions of dollars per year! By the way, I got charged $21.00 in one day for viewing a deposit 7 times! I am very not happy about this because I and many others will be charged again in the future each time we view a deposit ticket online. Sad!

We originally opened an account with National City bank, PNC bought them out. We've had nothing but confusion and aggravation since. A year ago, they decided to change their rules stating we had to use online banking and utilize the ATM instead of telling to avoid monthly fees, and we abided. Now, last month they tell us they are no longer doing that and had a new list of requirements to avoid fees, that we couldn't meet. So I went to bran, Telegraph Rd., St. Louis, MO. and asked to close all accounts. Banker withdrew all our funds and said she would close our accounts the next morning, allowing the withdrawals to post. She did not follow up which led to us being charged $7 fees, and overdraft activities due to no $ in the account, because I closed them. Geez!!! One month later, still fighting with incapable customer service reps that don't get it, nor want to do their job. Story of the times of our lives I guess. So, in my eyes, PNC sucks.

Called about an 10 dollar charge that wasn't necessary since I did have the funds just pending. I have several accounts with them and frustrated with how the transaction are presented with them. I called and answered was the assistant manager Elizabeth. She was quite rude to me as we are trying to discuss the matter. If I have the funds transfers over but I should be charged for money I had already just not where they wanted them supposedly. I hate the fact that withdraws take forever or drop from the account not to be seen as well as money that says that is pending with it available but technically not available according to assistant manager Elizabeth. Please take care of this matter along with Assistant manager a little more patient with the customer. Otherwise, I am forced to leave PNC and look elsewhere.

I went into the bank to cash a check given to me by a PNC customer. There were 5 people waiting in the lobby. No tellers at the counter and one person in an office taking all customers. She was taking people opening new accounts, trying to get people to get credit cards and all. I waited over 40 min to cash a check. Horrible customer service and they did not communicate to the waiting people because they could not see them from their office.

I had written out a check and put it in my mailbox and when I went to go put another piece of mail in the mailbox and this was at night, the check that I had mailed was gone so I thought either I didn't put it in or maybe someone took it out. So I wrote out another check and put it in my mailbox. Come to find out both checks did get to PNC Bank and they both cashed. This was totally my fault. The very next day I received some overdraft fees. I think about five of them because it screwed up some of my other charges that I had made so I called up Pnc to explain my situation. I asked if they could reverse the charges if I had put cash into the account because they were still pending and they said yes and I said am I able to write a check out and deposit that because I was at work and they also said yes. That if I put a check in there that would cover it so that's what I did. I wrote out a check.

I put it into my account and when I look at it I still received five nonsufficient funds. So I called up Pnc and they would not reverse them. They said that my check did not clear. Why was told that a check would be fine to write out? How? This is not the first time that this happened. A PNC Bank likes to take the larger amounts and put those through first Then put the smaller amounts through. It actually makes your account overdrawn. This was the big thing with Pnc and they had to pay out a lot of people while they're still doing it. If I was told I could do that check I should be able to get my money back so they're making money off of what they told me that I could do. I have been with Pnc for very long Time but I think I'm going to switch banks and write the president a letter of the PNC Bank. I'm a very unhappy customer and Pnc reps some of them are very very rude.

I have been with PNC since they bought National City in Michigan nearly 10 years ago. After reading many reviews, multiple phone calls, several tweets and DMs on Twitter, I see I am not the only one who has had this issue. On Friday 7/14 I went to pay my PNC credit card bill, from my checking account (also with PNC), on the mobile app using Bill Pay. I was forced to choose Monday 7/17 as the payment date, so I did. As I had set up the payment on Friday 7/14, I thought that date would be honored (like Fordcredit, Progressive, etc.). If I had known this would happen I would have marched my happy butt right into a branch and paid it there.

All of this over a $25 late fee. This fee is NOT my responsibility.

PNC you need to set this right. At the very least you need to put a disclaimer on the app stating that Bill Pay takes a long time and will most likely cause late fees. Also, the gal I spoke with in customer service, Jasmine, very condescending. Pretty much told me I should pay my bills on time so this doesn't happen again. It may take a while but I will be switching banks.

My husband gets paid every Thursday. PNC charged us over $76 in overdraft fees when we were not overdrawn. I have the screen shots of the account showing we had the funds and were never overdrawn. However they charged the fees anyway. I used their web bill pay and put that a bill should be paid on the 3rd. However they paid it on the 1st and charged an overdraft fee. When I called they gave the fee back and said it was a system error. One time I deposited CASH and they held it for 3 days (not a weekend). Charged $180 in fees. I called explaining that legally they cannot hold cash. PNC sighted system error. Refunded the fees but checks had been returned and the other places charged fees PNC did not refund. Also they would not write a letter stating said error so I could get the other fees back. It used to be an okay place to bank. Now it is awful. They do not follow any Federal Regulations. DO NOT EVER BANK HERE EVER.

Unfortunately, I have to continue to do business with this company because it was my company's (poor) choice to affiliate with them for our 401k. It takes a minimum of an hour to attempt to process any web transaction because all you receive are error messages: "Pending Error" "Unable to access/verify account data" "Unable to verify pending transactions." If you are lucky enough to finally get a transaction to process, it takes you an hour or more to make that happen. It should only take a few minutes.

It has been over a year since my husband was scammed by the IRS on our PNC credit card. Yes I understand it was his fault for not knowing. PNC said they would stand behind us until they found out he authorized the transactions. He was then told to file police reports state and local which was done. Also reports with the IRS, FBI, FTC, the Attorney General and to many more to list. Which we all did within a few days of being scammed. I have received letters from all and so many phone calls. Most all saying they have our reports and that PNC will stand behind us. They have NOT. A year later and a second mortgage and still no help from the bank.

I have been customer with them for over 20 years and they will not help one bit. They did send us a check for our account and then said it was their mistake and added it back to our account. They truly have worn us out and we will make payments on this for the next 5 years. And when this is all taken care of I will NEVER deal with this bank again. I have wrote letters sent proof it was a scam and they don't care. They just want payment. They are protected by the FCC who protects us!

I have encountered a problem with my online banking for OVER 18 months and still PNC tells me they put my problem to their escalation department. I got into the bank, talk to people there, the escalation department calls me, but nothing is ever resolved. I found out recently they use a third party to fix issues like mine, then I was told no they are handling it internally. Then about two weeks ago, I had yet another online banking issue. I have a platinum account with PNC which sounds pretty impressive right? The kids just opened accounts, and we have CD's and other accounts with PNC. You would think we might be a good enough customer that PNC would want to resolve the issue. But nothing happens.

Basically I cannot go in and see history of vendors. So for example if you want to see how much you paid say Best Buy for a period of time, you cannot call up the individual vendor let alone a specific period. I am self employed so I use or rather used to use this feature all the time. I buy items on 6 months or 12 months same as cash frequently, and it's handy to be able to see at a glance how much I have paid toward the balance so to avoid finance charges. I also use it at end of the year for taxes and my allowable deductions.

My second problem is now when I pay online, the PRINT button is gone. Literally gone! So I have to either hand write the receipt, do a screen shot or take a photo with my smart phone and then print one of the latter two items. If PNC cannot handle simple program bugs like this, how safe is my or your money at PNC? They do dominate retail banking in Pittsburgh. They are nice to your face, but results are all I want. And I am no closer to a resolution from 18 months ago, than I am today on July 12, 2017.

Don't use PNC. Their transactions lag and they are not helpful at all. I deposited money in my account and it's not showing on my end. They wanted me to delete my cookies and I told them I shouldn't have to because it's not even working on my mobile app, so the problem is on their end. I was transferred to a specialist who tried to fake sympathy and failed miserably. She said my account is in the negative and yet I am unable to see it at all. How is that helpful? SO in the end it's on them and not on me. You bet you but I am closing this account and never using them again. I would encourage others not to use them as well and instead use Chase, B of A or any there one beside this one.

I owned a PNC account when I was living in Pittsburgh, and when relocated to Dallas TX I misplaced my debit card. It takes two weeks for me to receive my debit card. Horrible customer service, I will not recommend.

Been a customer for at least 6 years. They automatically transferred my free checking account to a standard checking account. They claimed they email me the change but in fact what they mean is that they send an email notifying you that a statement is available if you log into your account. So, there's 2 steps you have to do. Find an email from PNC bank and then look at the statements. Today, people get tons of email, no one is able to read them all. At the very least, the email should say either fees have been withdrawn from the account or there has been activity in your account. That way customers would check to verify. The fact that it looks like an ordinary email regarding your account allows the bank to STEAL money. They only send you an actual letter once they depleted ALL of the funds. How is this legal???

The local bank rep passed me along by telling me to call the 1888 number to get it fixed and I got the same BS that it's my responsibility. To me that's like saying, if I was getting pickpocketed, it's my fault, I should have been paying more attention to my surroundings. I offered to remain a customer if they return my money and I'll add money, but they rather take my money they STOLE over 3 year. I closed the account.

Toward the end of PNC online app for opening checking account, I changed my mind. There was never a submit or confirm button to click on that would have lead me to believe I had executed the application. Never-the-less, soon after I received an email from PNC confirming that I opened an account. Despite the ambiguous online application process that lead to this inadvertent attempts to close it with the local branch as well as with an escalation specialist, I am forced to leave the account open with a $500 minimum balance for 6 months unless I choose to pay a $25 fee! Ridiculous. They refused to waive this paltry $25 given the unusual circumstances. Will never recommend this bank!

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.
  • Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.
  • Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.
  • Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.
  • Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.
  • Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.
  • Best for PNC is best for customers who live near a PNC Bank branch. For those consumers, PNC is a viable banking solution for those seeking a full-service bank with investing access.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions