PNC Bank

PNC Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

PNC Bank Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

The bank has both my retirement benefits and my social security benefits deposited into my account which is more than my previous bank and credit union did for me. It helps me to pay my bills on time.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

The Staff at our local PNC Bank are very helpful and always make us feel like valued customers. We use the bill pay app and are very happy with the ease of use and reliability. We also use their facilities for safe storage. We do use the PNC credit cards. We avoid their savings accounts because the interest is very low. Otherwise we are very pleased.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I would have given PNC some 5's but one of local branches is inconsistent with customer service and I have said as much to them. They were great when renegotiating a home equity loan I use as a line of credit. Same when we renegotiated a mortgage on one of our rental properties.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Unlike other banks I have used, PNC stands out in good customer service. I have been with them since 2012 and have no problems at all. My accounts

are up to date. And they assist you immediately you report your cards are missing. I mean I lost my packet-book in the Mall and was so upset. So, I walked into the nearest branch to report this incident. The manager came out and was so kind and compassionate, she attended to me immediately and instructed on what I should do next. They also encourage you to apply for credits if you are eligible. I check my accounts online sometimes and found no discrepancy. I have rest of mind knowing my accounts are safe. They treat you with respect and explain what offers they have for customers. I believe they are the best bank!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I opened a PNC account when I moved to Pittsburgh for college. When I graduated and started work, I began using the bank that my company uses. My account was left inactive for years until it dipped under the PNC minimum. Once this happened they began to change me a $25 fee every month. I used to check the account every few months to make sure something like this didn't happen. The frequency that I checked eventually dropped to every half a year or something. One day when I was checking the account and I wasn't able to log in and said I had to reset my password. My debit card was years expired so I wasn't able to reset the password with going to the bank or calling. I put this as low priority and a few months I finally went to the bank to take care of this problem.

For ten months PNC charged me this fee. PNC put no effort to contact me or put a hold on the account. Their plan was to withdrawal from the account till it got to zero. Such a dishonest and criminal bank to try robbing their customers like this. Of course it is my fault for not checking more frequently. But after 3 or 6 months of no account activity while getting these fees they should have put a hold on the account or did something responsible. For all they know I could have been dead while they are busy taking all of the money from my account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I was intrigued with their credit card offer which I have been receiving for a year so I opened an account. After a money transfer I didn't receive any statement so I TRIED to set up my online banking which I could not do for 2 days. Something with the verification to which I kept getting code after code (horrible online banking). Finally on the 3rd day I set it up and my due date for my first payment had passed a day before, so guess what? Late fee. I explained to them what happened via email and they said they will waive it for been the first time, guess what? They didn't and they said, "Sorry we can't do it. It's already charged." So I paid.

Following month tried paying on due date in the morning, guess what? Could not because it was a Sunday and only gave me the option for Monday. I asked for help. They responded next day. Guess what? Late fee. They said I should set up auto payments. I don't think I should have to. I have about 10 credit cards over 25 years and never had problems.. I'm paying the balance transfer and closing PNC card. HORRIBLE ONLINE BANKING.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Each time I called and spoke with a different agent I got a different answer. I was most confused on the window of using my debit card in order to receive the highest interest. I always wrote down who I spoke with and what their answer was. When I first opened my account for both checking and savings the agent gave me my two receipts. I did not check the numbers on the account only the correct money that had been deposited into what I was told both checking and money market savings. Imagine my surprise when I went to my new branch in a different state that all my money had been put into a checking account where I received nothing. Yet the clerk at my previous bank gave me two different receipts.

I might add I had deposited a large check from the sale of my home and filled out both a deposit for checking and savings. I have had nothing but confusion and frustration with PNC and seriously feel they will go to any level it takes to keep from paying out interest. I am leaving them and advise anyone and everyone don't fall for their promotions and misleading come-ons to get your money into their greedy hands. They say they record all phone calls but when I told them I also was recording they refused to continue our conversation. I read in a previous review someone stated we needed a class action lawsuit and I agree if this is what it takes to get straight answers and the money we are entitled to. Thank you for reading my complaint. Martha **

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Overall, we have had good experiences with this bank until now. We have noticed lately that when they overdraft from our Reserve account into our Spend account, they tell us they take Y but actually they take DOUBLE that amount from our goals section. The first time it happened and we noticed, the money re-appeared a few days later just hanging out in available. The second time, it never did. I called Online Banking and got to speak to an elderly gentleman who had clearly never even used online banking -he basically told me I make no sense and my ledger looks fine. I became frustrated so he bumped it up to another team. They called me and were equally useless. At this point I started to think I was losing my mind, so I left it alone.

The third time it happened, I TOOK PICTURES. I took pictures of everything, and went to my bank. The banker had no idea how to use these features in virtual wallet (specifically the goals section) and so I had to wait to speak to the manager. I emailed them all of the attachments etc so that she would be prepared. I called the day of my appointment to make sure she reviewed the files before I got there. I get there and she tells me she was too busy and doesn't open attachments anyway. So I go through the whole thing, again. She tells me she doesn't really ever use these features and can't help me. She offers to call Online Banking for me like I was some sort of dope. I told her to go ahead. She calls and ends up getting so frustrated with them she hangs up and tells me they are not able to help (NO KIDDING!). There is nobody else for her to escalate to.

The best advice was to "leave feedback." Ok well here you go PNC -you are literally STEALING and have 0 capable customer service. Here is your feedback. **I also tried to contact them via Instagram hoping someone more tech savvy was available, but, you guessed it, it was pointless. A major national bank with a fully rolled out product -that nobody in the bank uses or knows how to use or has a team to troubleshoot. Conveniently this product never magically appears money INTO my account, just OUT of.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Bad experience. Opened a checking account online, I never obtained access to, never used the account. Months later I get a statement in the mail showing funds in a PNC account under my name, and monthly service charges of $25. I call in to close the account, and despite not using the account, it was closed with me losing out on $300 for monthly service charges. Some banks there is no reasoning with. Stick to credit unions or even Chase for better service.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Expect delays in receipt of the card, long waits on the phone, and if you're like me, multiple contacts to customer support with no resolution and no way they can even figure out why you can't log in. Just that I could log a 'complaint'. Completely unacceptable for a financial institution in 2020. DO NOT USE THEIR SERVICES.

Not sure about PNC Bank?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

PNC expert review by Barbara Friedberg

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.

• Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.

• Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.

• Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.

• Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.

• Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.

• Best for: PNC is best for customers who live near a PNC Bank branch. For those consumers, PNC is a viable banking solution for those seeking a full-service bank with investing access.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor