PNC Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I use to really love this bank, but lately they have turned into a greedy, vampire company. First I noticed a few months ago they hired new people for their over the phone customer service. Every time I called I would be told something different. When I explained to them I had done the process that I was calling for several times, I would get different answers. One CS person told me that I should not have been able to complete my process in the past. She stated that they weren't allowed to do that and that she was going to file a complaint against the CS Reps that allowed that Process. (Never ever heard this said from an employee at this banking company.)

Fast forward a month later I had paid my online bills one day, well they held payments for over a week. They gave the excuse that since it was during the holidays my bills were held from being paid. I made a few purchases and the next day I get an email saying I had overdraft fees. I'm like what, I have money in my account. When I go to check, my account was an -$150. They had applied four overdraft fees. I called them about this and they had paid some bill that just came in from a while ago and paid the remaining bills.

So every time a bill or payment went through they penalized me $36. I had a fit and they refused to give me any of the one back when it was their mistake and their laziness that caused the issue. On top of that every day my account is negative. They take $7 from it daily until it's no longer negative. I'm beyond pissed at this greedy bank now and am in the process of closing all accounts with them. This is a shame and should be illegal when they are holding my money and taking it as well.

My December 2016 PNC statement shows they will start charging me $7.00 on June 1, 2017 for my Virtual Wallet account which I have had for several years. A couple of years ago this was waived if I didn't use services inside the bank and only ATMs and my phone. Not anymore. Now essentially I am paying to use those services if I don't keep $500 in my account. In December I had more than $500 in my account, but had to use it for other purposes with the intention of replacing it this month (January 2017). PNC didn't give me that chance. They charged me the $7 prior to receiving my December statement without any notice in previous statements. I find this unethical and it should be illegal.

I talked to someone in a PNC branch and they were clueless and could not tell me anything about it. Even the branch manager had no idea what I was talking about. Unfortunately I did not bring a copy of my statement with me. Why are they charging this fee when it is now January not June? PNC is all about the almighty buck. As soon as I get my direct deposits switched over I'm getting rid of them. I'm tired of them changing their policies on a whim.

PNC Bank compare them to Check N Go. They are outrageous much worse than Check N Go. Told me if I made payments on my overdraft for 6 months. My overdraft protection would be reinstated. Then that changed to 1 year. Overdraft protection active but PNC never allows it. Recently they told me it will be OK when I pay it all off. They have collected approximately $ 3500 in 2016, for overdraft. Obviously I have an income and an ability to pay these overdrafts. They charge their fees at 10 PM and deposits are made at midnight. Maximize costs to customer. PNC's algorithm for loans is predatory. Unfortunately too many banks use that algorithm. I will survive, but this gangster algorithm should be unlawful. Payment history should be weighted more than maximizing profits. PNC specifically & American Banks in general have taken advantage of laws to strangle American Families.

I would rate no stars if that were an option, very dissatisfied is way too nice for my experience with PNC. I have been a customer of PNC since they bought out my previous bank. All in all been with bank 28 years. PNC is notorious for overdraft charges. I do all my bill pay online and they pay bills before the scheduled pay date. The last bill was paid 5 days in advance. On other occasions they will hide payments that are pending and then they appear. They also don't pay other bills until you are ready to overdraft. As a test, I logged on at 11:58 and saw no withdraw. I logged off and back on after 11:59 and they cashed a check (one minute before midnight that wasn't even in my records to be paid out. They claimed the payee cashed the check. At 11:59? I don't think so. They also have done this at 9:59 when you need to make deposits prior to 10 PM to count for that day. I am done with PNC, really long overdue.

I think customer courtesy and loyalty goes a long way and they don't have either. Consumers are way smarter with many more options today. I am switching banks, moving to credit union. It is appalling the theft and the lack of protection consumers have. By the way, I have a small business account with a significant balance (over $400,000 balance) that I am switching to another bank. They didn't care about me but they seemed to care about my business account.

PNC is the worst mortgage company ever. DO NOT GET A MORTGAGE WITH THESE PEOPLE. I received a preapproval on October 19th. I found a home on November 10th. We were to close on December 16th. They have literally asked for the same documents from me 7 times. They keep telling me they didn't get the documents or can't read them. Funny since I'm, in some cases, dropping them off right to the mortgage officer. Our mortgage guy went out on a leave of absence from work because first his daughter was in the hospital and then he was in the hospital. No one from his office picked up the files that were left so my appraisal was never ordered. When it was finally ordered, they sent it back 4 times saying that there were corrections. Who are they to correct the appraiser? Then they asked me again for documents that I had sent in many times.

They told me 2 days before December 16th that we wouldn't be closing until the following week. That week came and went and now they told me that if the loan doesn't close by December 27th (which it isn't because of them), they are going to increase my rate. They have had all paperwork that they need since November 16th. The documents that they keep asking for, the mortgage officer, claims are in their files, but that they don't look back into the files so they just keep asking for the same documents again. I can prove that they have the documents because I have emails confirming from the mortgage officer, that the documents were in his hand. Patricia from Chicago Office (the actual loan officer that approves everything) doesn't know her ** from a hole in her head.

She is the one that keeps telling me we need documents that I have given them 7 times already and she never returns phone calls when you try to find out what is going on. On December 16th (original closing date), I received an email saying that everything was finally approved and congratulations. Then I got a text from the mortgage officer saying, "No that's not right, I'll have to speak to my IT Department about why they told you that, because it's not approved." After telling me that this loan would close before the 1st of the 2017, the mortgage officer's boss (Anton from the Hamilton Township NJ Branch) said "Nope, no more closings. We are too busy." I think he is just stalling so that they can increase the rates.

They are rude, and on several occasions have cursed at me and told me to "relax and chill out," which I have in writing through emails or text messages. Well guess what PNC, you are losing this loan. I am seeking alternative financing and things are working rather quickly with this new financing. Please buyer, do not use this bank for anything. When this is all completed through the alternative means, I will be filing a complaint with Banking and Insurance in New Jersey as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Today, Saturday, December 17th, I came to a branch of PNC Bank to cash a check that was drawn on their bank and was stopped in my tracks when I was informed there was a $10 fee to cash one of their checks since I was not an account holder. I asked it's the manager could waive the $10 fee as a one-time courtesy but that was also denied. This corporation must instruct their employees to not let go of any pennies.

This is nothing but consumer extortion, in my opinion. Hasn't gotten so bad that these big corporations need to nickel-and-dime prospective customers every single penny just so they can continue to everybody else? I would understand if my own bank charge me a fee to process a third-party check but to be charged $10! $1 fee for non account holders would generate money for PNC Bank. More people need to stand up and address its abuses and challenge these bad practices.

I've been with this bank for literally my entire financial lifetime and it has been horrible from the very beginning and has only gotten worse. I recently switched to a Virtual Wallet account and that was where the main problems started. They promote this account as a way to manage your finances from your phone and on the go, but nothing in your actual account is accurate. Transactions will pend for days with no explanation, things I have purchased may not even show up in pending at all and just magically appear a few days later after the transaction has gone through. Because of this I get overdrafted regularly, $36 each time a long pending transaction just happens to go through at the most convenient time for them.

Right now my account is sitting at a nice -$89 even though my paycheck just went through last night. Why was I overdrafted if my direct deposit just cleared?? Because PNC likes to steal money from poor college kids. I double checked my account at midnight because I had a bill to pay. No overdraft. Paid my bills and figured that was that. Two hours later I get an email I've been hit with the fee. I double checked my statements and my bills haven't even gone through yet. So I got charged for a pending transaction that just went through...AFTER my direct deposit went in??? It makes zero sense. My holiday is basically over now because I can't afford to pick up gifts for my family, I can't afford to fill up my car, or even eat.

This has happened so many times it's honestly ridiculous. Contacting customer service about these issues is like hitting a brick wall, they berate you for not having extra money inside accounts to protect against overdraft. That's the most entitled response I can even imagine, the solution to not getting overdrafted is having more money! How about an accurate bank app that their PNC claims to provide? How about listing all my pending transactions instead of hiding certain few? I've been told to use a passbook to keep track of my transactions on paper, but again...the online banking is what I got the virtual wallet for...so why am I being so punished for using their services? I'm at my limit with this horrible bank and will be leaving immediately.

I first noticed what they were doing months ago. I looked online to see how much my available balance is before making a purchase. I forget the exact amounts, so these are estimates, but it was over $600. The next day I get an overdrawn account notice to my e-mail. I was upset since there was $600+ in my account, and I only made a $70 purchase. I look at my account and they put through a check that was applied to the account. It was cashed to a month and a half ago. Not only that, but the check and my purchase combined should not have overdrawn my account anyway.

They waited to apply money I spent until they knew it would overdraw me, but in that case it still wasn't enough, so they adjusted my previous available balance in order to steal just barely enough money from me to overdraw my account. I called them, very upset, and their response was that it was impossible for their website to be wrong, and flat out refused to answer my question if they knew it would implicate them. And this isn't a one time thing, it has happened again. I will be switching banks. Don't go near these thieves.

We live in a small mountain town. We followed PNC when they bought RBC. We stayed because we like the staff in our branch. The branch didn't last long. PNC closed and did not even put in an ATM machine. We have to drive at least 1.5 hours no matter which branch we visit. Every time I have contacted PNC over the phone concerning a problem I have received no satisfaction and terrible service. There is no sense in complaining to the bank, they will close the account, they will defend employee error regardless. One branch told me that I could not deposit a check into my business account as our customer made the check out to me instead of the business. This was so ridiculous and erroneous and ignorant on the part of the teller. This same teller demonstrated blatant racial discrimination to the customer in front of me. It was embarrassing for me so I can imagine it was even more so for the person discriminated against.

It is true that one cannot deposit a business check into a personal account but depositing a personal check into one's business account is completely fine. Plus, it was very simple to check us out. We have 4 credit cards, 4 debit cards, 2 checking accounts, 1 savings account, 1 Equity Line Account and 1 OverDraft Protection Account. We had Driver's Licenses, Passports; we could provide security information, it was unbelievable. We had driven 45 minutes one way to deposit checks. We had to take another 45 minute drive to get to our branch and then 30 minutes home. Credit Card issues are never resolved in a courteous, business-like or timely fashion. Their fees are outrageous.

I am slowly moving my business towards other credit card companies. I am going to use Square for credit card payments from my customers. If you are not already involved with PNC don't take them on as your financial institution. I could go on and on about unsatisfactory PNC service is but I simply don't have time to write it all out.

I have a Home Equity Loan with PNC Bank. We made our payment at the Branch 10 days before the due date and instead of applying it to the loan they tried to auto deduct from a checking account that was closed out 3 years ago. Hence they raised our interest rate 1/4% because they never took off the auto deduct. It took a manager over a week to get back to me with an answer that for a loan I had 7 years without missing a payment no longer qualifies for the Promo. DO NOT deal with this Bank. They have no idea what customer service stands for and are unqualified employees who were not giving the rules and guidelines of general accounting practices.

My email got hacked by a PNC customer. He cc himself on one of my emails. I was doing a contract with an engineer and he requested the down payment to be deposit on his account (the hacker) but the name was my engineers name so I thought it was him. I went to the bank made the deposit for $2,500 to the account he sent me. The teller didn't even bother checking the name on account (which it was different from the one I wrote on deposit slip). She just took the money. Later on I called to see if my engineer got the deposit and he said he didn't send me that email. It was the person with PNC bank account in Baltimore (we are in Jersey). I went back to the bank told them what happen and they don't want to give me my money back.

I filed a police report and print out all the emails (by the way my email is been blocked since that day). The lost dept told the call the client and he said he was going to deposit a ck so they can give me my money back, but the lady Gail ** from PNC lost dept said they are not giving me my money back, that their client has to get in touch with me personally, but they not giving his number. So it was PNC's fault for not verifying the name on account when I made deposit like other banks do.

They are stealing my money and if I don't get it back I'm going to file lawsuit against them. It's not fair they letting this criminal walk away so he keeps scamming other people. They have been proven to be cheaters and scammers and they stole my money. We all need to email the Consumer Federal Protection Bureau and file a class action suit. I am not sure if the Federal trade commission has anything to do with it or not. I suggest we all file and I have also file with the OCC and told them I am tired of the collusion and corrupt government practices. PNC is insured, so instead of giving small amount I will file criminal charges. If anyone supports the CFPB action, please comment.

I give them 2 stars because 1 the amount of banks branches and atm's is a plus... However I usually never get overdraft coverage because of getting burnt in the past (before the national class action suit against big banks and the fraudulent practice) anyway. If I used my PNC card it was taking out that day... However about 1 month ago I just went and opted for the OD coverage and noticed somehow what use to come out the same day (work lunch) now lingers for a day or 2 in pending status... and when it would finally come out I get hit with a 36 fee for a $5 lunch... You call them and they tell you some bs about pending blah blah... Sounds good but I'm not an idiot... How come before I had coverage it was taken right out. Now it's not. They want you to rely on the banking app... (because in the 21st century let's face it not many want to do the pen and paper).

The app is a diff amount than the online, which is diff than the atm ledger balance, and all usually different than your paper total. I feel like they do that on purpose to catch people. It's not hard at all to sync these accounts to give you a correct balance. Any who if someone can just please explain why with no coverage my money was taken right out and my total was usually right the following morning vs the overdraft coverage where I have 2 wait 2 days for things to clear and they blame it on when the company processed their business especially when it's the same business both times. I'll be looking for a new bank. If I can't trust you with my money then I can't trust you for my business.

Really interested in seeing these 1 star reviews. In short an ATM machine at a local branch outside Philadelphia stole over $300 of my money. Got barely any response from the people on the phone when I first called, and they kept bouncing me around via phone until finally they credited my account with the money lost. With a "provision credit" and a "dispute pending". I show up two days later (today) to discuss what happened and it's like they barely wanted to say anything. They "don't work with ATM machine". What the bloody ** are you talking about?

It's really a shame looking into this bank on this website now, after having an account with them for years. It seems they're in a really sad state of affairs and I'm cautious about continuing service with them. Seriously, the big man in the suit was breathing down my neck today like he didn't have time to talk to me and I just don't appreciate it. What the ** is wrong with you people, the machine obviously ate my ** money. It's unbelievable. These banks are run and owned by money-hungry non-humans. They're preying on us, pretty simple to see. It's unbelievable how untrustworthy they are. He says I've got "nothing to worry about". OK. Well, obviously I do if my account says "dispute pending". What if they decide I was lying and take the credit away that they put there? Makes me cringe.

My wife and I were customers of PNC bank since it was called Flagstar. We each had checking accounts. We complained about the branch manager located Holcomb Bridge and Grimes Bridge in Roswell Georgia because she and her staff would refer customers, including ourselves, to other branches on Mansell Road and Crossville Road contending they were too busy. This was their response for service in the bank or at the drive-through window. The branch manager there also refused to decorate this bank for any holiday, including Christmas, because she indicated she did not believe in such celebrations. She also allowed an English as a Second Language school to use the PNC parking lot for their students impacting PNC customers.

When we complained about her to the regional branch manager, he and other bank management retaliated and closed our respective accounts, informing me, instead of my wife, about her account (which is very chauvinistic). They indicated that this was their prerogative and that they were not accountable to the Federal Reserve, the Office of the Controller of the Currency, or any other regulatory agency. They are the worst.

PNC has taken everything from me, they overdraft my account over 600 dollars in a month. I'm here crying because they have no heart and won't even listen to my plea, I work hard to catch up with my bills all they do is take take take from me. Thanks to them my kids won't have any Christmas this year. My son's birthday is next week and the little money I hoped on using for him PNC have robbed me off it, all in the name of overdraft fees. I'm crying uncontrollable as I type this. This bank should be investigated for this act of wickedness. No one's hard earned money needs to be taken like this, within a blink of an eye! I can't even pay my rent now either! These people have ruined my life.

I live in Fredericksburg VA. Never go to the Southpoint PNC bank or any PNC bank. First someone got my debit card and was having a joy. I called as soon as I saw the fraud charges got a new card and had my money returned. Then if fraud or typing error I don't care someone had my whole account # and made checks with a totally different bank. I immediately went to the Southpoint branch closed that account and opened a new one. Ever since then I have had nothing but issues. First the manager assured me the PNC loan I have would be transferred to the new account. That was never done. Then for some reason the loan was taking money out of the supposedly closed account. So long story short I have $134 removed from my open account to make up for all the over draft fees to a closed account.

I called and spoke to Sheena in the escalate department on Tuesday. She assured me everything would be refunded by Wednesday. Here I am on Thursday not hearing back from Sheena. I call again and speak to someone new and she informs me there is no note on my account that Sheena ever did any request with my refund. So yet again I have to wait till I get my money back.

First, they fraudulently put my business address/building on my home equity loan because, I assume, I own it free and clear. They were eager to lend me money on that building, but I caught this at closing, and had them put in the correct home address. They then had the nerve after they had initially approved my loan to then deny me the home equity loan! None of the information was different, but they wanted my commercial business building and tried the old "bait and switch" tactic. When I complained about this in writing, they just ignored the complaint.

Now, I just discovered another unethical practice they use to bilk their customers. I keep track of my balance every time I put money in PNC and immediately replenish money if I think there is even a remote chance that any of my checks will bounce. But, I have an overdraft protection line of credit that is directly connected to my checking account at a whopping 19% interest, so I am very careful about keeping the checking account solvent. Imagine my shock and ire when I got a $36 fee for exceeding the $500 limit in my overdraft protection. Then, I got a letter that I owed $256 on my overdraft.

When I went to talk to the manager at the Camp Hill, PA branch she informed me that I owed over $500 in overdraft. Evidently they pick overnight when the checks clear, and NOT INFORMING THE CUSTOMER, they then keep crossing my checks in the middle of night and thus charging more fees and interest. Even though my checking account showed a healthy balance, they were secretly using the account to get their fees and almost usurious interest rate for a month without my knowing about it. Quite ingenious way they fleece the public. I immediately paid off the overdraft "protection" account with cash, and they dropped the $36 as a "courtesy" but when I requested a mere $500 increase in the overdraft protection amount to stave off another of these travesties, the lousy bank denied my so called "loan" request!!!

I asked the man what interest rate I was getting and at what levels, on my Premiere Mny Mkt acct. He responded that it was.75 % with a balance over 50,000. Then I checked my statement and it was only.13%. Upset, I checked the details online to find that I would need to add a direct deposit (regularly occurring) like with my Mutual Fund IRA withdrawal totaling more than $5,000, apparently. This was unprofessional of him not to point that out to me, and I look very suspiciously now on the viability of keeping them as my bank for keeping my cash central accounts. This was the Randall Rd. South Elgin (or Elgin) branch in front of Menards in Elgin, Il.

I'm a single mom living from penny to penny. I had a check for $20 came through my account that the bank paid out. I was waiting on my child support payment come in to cover the expenses but it was late... money that I was waiting on to pay my rent. PNC took almost half of my child support money to pay for over $200 of over draft fees that they had charged to my account within a week. When I call them to asked why I was been charged $7 a day plus $28 every other day they told me that was how it is.

I must admit, I'm chuckling at the greed and stupidity of PNC. Let me share my experience. I lost my debit card and immediately reported it so that no fraud would occur and so I could order another. PNC did just that along with charging a $7.50 replacement card fee. Let's step back in consider the customer unfriendly action: 1. I reported the card to avoid fraud. Had I not done so, thousands of dollars of costs could have been incurred by PNC since in Maryland we are only liable for the first $50. It would seem my reward for being responsible was a $7.50 fee. 2. I have two accounts and two mortgages with PNC. Last year I paid btw $35,000 & $40,000 in interest to PNC. Moreover, I don't bounce checks, make late payment and do not even use the tellers but do all of my transactions electronically or through ATMS. It's probably safe to say PNC makes close to $50K per year from my business.

NOT ANYMORE: When I saw the fee and got the push back from PNC, I reached out to a mortgage company who is happy to refi my loans, actually at a lower rate. Moreover, the bad will I will put forth will certainly cost them future and perhaps current customers. To PNC I say... enjoy the $7.50. Um $7.50 vs $50K vs good will... I'd sell my stock if you have any.

I have been a member on and off since 2008. Every time I join their bank I remember why I should have never joined to begin with. I currently live in Pittsburgh and thought I should give them a chance. I ran into some financial problems after my house required work to be done and my tenant had to unexpectedly leave. I called PNC and let them know of this problem back in August. I deposited money and decided that I would close my account. They were unable to until I waited one business day. One other account that has been linked to this account since 2010 came out automatically causing me to not be able to close out my account. Currently I have experienced $1038 in fees in the year of 2016 just from the month of June until now.

Will make this short. They have been proven to be cheaters and scammers and they stole my money and used extortion from a Baltimore MD lawyer so I would not sue them. My attorney very ineffective. We all need to email the Consumer Federal Protection Bureau and file a class action suit. I am not sure if the Federal trade commission has anything to do with it or not. I suggest we all file and I have also file with the OCC and told them I am tired of the collusion and corrupt government practices. PNC is insured, so instead of giving small amount I will file criminal charges and go for big bucks. If anyone supports the CFPB action, please comment.

I just closed out my accounts without being paid with interest. The manager Brian ** reasoning was accrued interest was not posted in the computer and he did not even know when they would post, which is unheard of and very unprofessional. I emphasized that the was the 2nd time I came back to the branch to do this, and all banks are able to calculate our total interests whenever customers need to close out accounts. He ignored what I said and basically told me to close out without taking 1-mo worth of interests with me.

I have used PNC Bank since the fall of National City Bank. From that time PNC has been nothing but a headache. Dealing with PNC Bank takes forever and as a customer I received different answers on questions depending on the branch or person I spoke to. My banking with PNC did consist of a business checking account, business savings account, business credit card account, and two business mortgage accounts. On the person side with PNC I had two checking accounts and a savings account. My kids also both had checking accounts with PNC.

My first house mortgage with the business was a terrible experience. The person working with me directly made promises she did not fulfill, timelines that were nowhere near what she promised, and lost documents more than twice which left me unsatisfied and when I mentioned these problems I was apologized to and moved on. After the first business mortgage I assumed I had a single bad experience and decided to give PNC a try for the second time. I assumed this would be an easy transaction since all my other accounts were there and switching banks would be a huge undertaking. To my surprise I received the same treatment. Following that problem I went to a PNC branch and spoke with a lady who was more than accommodating. She did the best she could do to put PNC in a positive light with respect to what happened and even convinced me to open a business credit card account.

As result of her doing so well with helping me out I did open a business credit account which I was very pleased with for only a couple of months. One day when I went to use my business credit card at a store for supplies the card was declined. I knew the card was nowhere near maxed out and the declination must be the result of a security feature, which was not a problem at the time. I was actually somewhat pleased and assumed PNC was watching out for me. Therefore I called the number on the back of the card and spoke to someone who said my credit card number had been stolen and the card had been maxed out. At this point I assumed there was still not a problem and PNC would simply fix the mistake. Then I was told PNC could not immediately fix the problem and it would take a couple of weeks. At this point I was inconvenienced but still not the end of the world; I paid for my materials and moved on with life.

I continued to check on the status of the card and each time I called the credit department I was given different answers. Finally when someone would answer my questions as to when the card account would be corrected I was again told a couple of weeks. Then when I asked how the card number was stolen I was told the bank did not know. I was also told the card number is supposed to be unhackable as a result of a double account number. Which meant nothing to me not being a banker but assumed it was for my own good.

I called back a period of time later to again check on the account. I spoke to a different person and asked how the account number was taken and used. The person on the phone told me they did not know, their security team was looking into the problem and they suspected someone on the inside of taking the account number.

Nonetheless the problem was resolved and life continued on and the account was reactivated. I used the account for purchases over the next month and checked the card online. After I used the card the balances were not showing up on the account side of the card to make a payment. I called the branch; they told me there was nothing they could do about the charges not showing up on the account. I let a week or so go by and still the charges were not showing up on the account and I had been told every excuse you can think of as to why. It was everyone’s fault by PNC’s. Finally, I called the number on the back of the card and explained again PNC was not charging me for items I was purchasing so I stopped using the card and the money was kept aside in an account.

Next, two months later I got a notice my card was over the limit and I was being charged overage charges and fees. At this point I lost my mind. Called PNC, explained the situation and I’m assuming they did not believe me nor did they have my recorded calls of me telling them they were not charging me for items I was buying. I called and offered to pay to close the card and the account, explained the security issues and asked they remove the interest and the fees they put on the account. PNC refused to do any of this even after explaining the problem several times. They simply did not care, it was their fault. I would absolutely agree if I were the one that screwed up.

Further, the debit cards. I use my debit card several times a day; often to buy fuel. For an unknown reason gas pumps do not care for worn out cards therefore I go through about three to four debit cards a year. With my work schedule and finding a PNC Bank going into the branch to request a debit card was difficult. I was never in the right place at the right time. I called the branch I attended when I could explained why I was having a hard time making it to the branch and asked if they could mail me a card. I was told several times no.

My wife (who shares all the same accounts as I do) called the number on the back of the card, asked for a card and the thing was in the mail in no time. Then after an argument between us, me accusing her of lying for being able to call the number on the back of the card to replace the card and her accusing me of the same for saying she would never get a card without going to the branch I called the number and got a new card mailed to me in no time.

Next issue. My son had a checking account that was linked to ours; I believe it’s called a virtual wallet so my wife could teach him paying bills etc. To my knowledge this account went smooth. However, three years later when we attempted to get the same account for my daughter my wife was told my daughter could not have a checking account because she was under 18. This sounded crazy and we knew she could have an account it’s advertised online. My wife went to another branch and set the account up no problem.

Finally, for a third mortgage. Now having even more accounts with PNC and keeping my fingers crossed I was going to cross this bridge again; dumb move. Here is how it went. I was requesting a $27,000.00 preapproval letter to buy an income property. I called the number for the mortgage section from online because from the last two experiences I did not want to deal with a branch. I scanned and set over all the information the lady requested. The second day I told her I wanted to add my business income to the figures, she said "no your income will cover what you need to do, everything looks good."

Next day, I get a call back asking for the property address of my business. No problem I supplied the addresses and all the financial information that goes with those. Three days later she called me back and advised houses that I own free and clear I could not use because I have not owned them for more than two years, therefore that could not be configured in the numbers and she asked me for a statement from a retirement account. No problem I sent over a statement advising I had approximately 25,000.00 in it. I was only requesting a total of 27,000.00 and did not intend on taking from the 25,000.00, on top of that the property I wanted the money to buy had a much higher value than 27,000.00 which was more than I was going to have to pay.

PNC called me back and told me they were declining my loan, but my credit score was excellent which did not make any sense to me but ok. I was referred to another financial institution by a friend and told to give this guy a call. I explained the situation to the new guy. He said doesn’t sound like a problem at all and this time I requested 70,000.00 to buy houses. He requested I email over my previous years taxes via a secure email, which PNC does not have. Probably why the business credit account was hacked and asked I complete a couple questions on an application.

For this transaction it is important to note, I have NEVER been to the bank before, never called, have not received junk mail, I did not even know they existed. The guy called me back 2.5 hours later and asked me when and how I wanted my money. I was blown away. That is service. With that being said no matter what it takes I’m switching all the accounts from PNC to the new bank. Someone that wants and appreciates my business as I do for my customers.

I called up their Irvine, CA office and was promised 2.75% rate fixed for 9 years with no closing costs. Too good to be true as I was suspicious with the loan officer and trying to be positive and thinking because I've been with this company from the very beginning and also refinanced 6 years ago for 15 years with the same company. I just went ahead and waited 2 months before I was told that my rate would be 3.675% and with $2,000 closing costs which is horrible because I have a very clean loan (never took money out from my mortgage) with very good credit score. And why the hell would I go ahead with it when I only have 9 years more to pay it off!

These loan officers just wanted some money from me and thinking I'm just stupid to listen to their lies and jokes! To make the story short I didn't continue with the loan and I really wanted to see a lawyer and sue them for damages for all the troubles that I went through trying to comply with all their requirements. I would never recommend anyone to PNC Bank!!

PNC needs to stick to their policy they provide for their customers. I have been a member for quite some time and NEVER had an issue when I use my debit card during the week after hours and on the weekend. All of a sudden now there is a cut off time on Friday that extends until Monday morning for when you use your debit card and it's not calculated until Monday Morning. I never had an issue with this before and their fees are ridiculous. $36.00 for a NSF fee and $36.00 for return check fee and $7.00 a day for a late fee charge. If you have money in your reserve and let's say not enough to cover a ACH they will stop the check charge you a $36.00 return check fee and a $36.00 NSF fee, will not pull money from your Main account to cover it and then continue to charge you $7.00 per day on top of all of that.

Now if the same thing happens in your main account, they will cover the ACH amount (even though you will be in negative for the ACH amount) charge you whatever the amount is for the ACH PLUS the $72.00 which is $36 twice along with the $7.00 per day until it's paid. PNC is ripping the middle class hard workers off! I had fraudulent activity on my "joint" account with an associate of mine so I took them off of my account closed the account and opened a new account. PNC then eventually reopened that account without my knowledge because of the ACH and then closed this account again within about 13 days. I was advised all was well and done and that my name was not on any other accounts with this associate.

Well the associate had their own account and I was listed for minor services as in the event something happened in death etc, well their account became negative and per PNC customer service once an account is in the negative after 14 days it closes out (SUPPOSEDLY). Well PNC tracked my account down where I'm listed alone and took $500.00 from my account to pay this negative balance in this associate's account without my knowledge (this associate's account has been negative for 26 days) now my account is negative due to the transactions I made which should have cleared because I had more than enough money to cover it before this $1,000 hold on my account to cover a $500.00 debt from someone else's account that I was listed on. Not to mention, I COULDN'T EVEN ACCESS MY ACCOUNT FOR 3 DAYS!!! Now I would understand if the account was from an outside bank but it's PNC to PNC.

It's sad they have to collect money like this from individuals. I plan on posting this on social media and getting the news involved. This site has 699 700 complaints, including mine, on the unfair treatment to their dedicated customers. The kicker is that associate's Reserve account was negative and they just took over $70.00 from my Reserve account to pay that balance so the balance was $-1.56. The associate went to pay this balance today 09/29/2016 and their account is now clear. They left the bank but went back to make sure the account was CLOSED OUT! Now the PNC representative states they need to wait until tomorrow 09/30/2016 until the CASH payment of $1.56 that was given has posted to the account. Since when has a cash deposit NOT been available to you on the same day you deposit the money into an account - NEVER! It's just ridiculous and a complete RIP OFF.

Then you have EVERY LAST customer service agent telling you different information when you call in. I can call and hang up just to keep calling back and all 20 people will tell you something different. Nothing is in order and there is NO structure, no mandatory guidelines and everything seems to change on a daily basis, just to pacify the customer with a complaint. The only ones affected are us, the consumers that put tons of money into this raggedy piece of a bank called PNC BANK!!! I wonder what Robert Q Reilly, the CFO of PNC Bank, thinks of all of this...or has he turned a blind eye to how his low level employees treat the hard-working customers who keep the bank afloat! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!

This card is a nightmare... Every time I try using it rather than to pay for something... like Deposits of checks or cashing checks, the rules always change... I cashed a Refund check from our Ins Co, a few days ago by going to the bank, then we received another check, and sent my husband to cash and IT WAS A DISASTER. I realize that we have this because of past mistakes, but please make the rules and regs and stick to them... Please... It's already frustrating for the customers to have to bank in this manner. Can we just once be made to not have it so complicating & disappointing.

I had my debit card. Was involved in an internet scam and fund were withdrawn from my checking account in the amount of $1100.00. Once I was able to maneuver through PNC's crappy phone system and speak to a live person. They of course couldn't help me. I had to wait until the fraudulent debits posted. Once they posted, I had to go back through PNC's phone hell to be bounced around from department to department to finally be told no one had an idea when I would get my money.

I went to the local branch and branch manager said she would call me the next day. She never did, so I called her and she said she would call the next week. She never called. It's now been 23 days since the debits posted and I when I called today, still no idea when the investigation would be complete or when I would get my money. But they were able to close my account and not tell me. PNC is useless! They are using their power as a big bank to steal their customer's money. Do not bank with them. I am still waiting for my money.

I did an online chat telling the agent I had been charged twice by my cell phone carrier and the carrier told me I had to notify my bank. He reviewed my account and saw the 2 charges. I asked what could be done and he explained, all in writing that if I filed a fraud charge my card would be closed. I told him, "no, I do not want to do that as it would leave me with no access to my money." I bank online with Virtual Wallet. There is no branch near me, just ATMs in CVS and Harris Teeter. He said he understands and that he could fill it out since it wasn't fraud and was just a double charge. He then said he had completed and I could possibly get paperwork in the mail. I thanked him.

To my utter surprise I went to use my debit card the next day and it was declined 3 times. I called the number on the back, was sent to a branch who said she could not help me. She told me to call again. I did. I was told after a long wait that my card was suspended and they could mail me another in 5-8 days. I said that was not acceptable as I had no way to access my money and no way to get gas, food etc for me and my son. I told the lady I specifically told the man yesterday I did not want to file anything if my card got canceled that I would need to go get money first. He assured me him filing it would not affect my card. So he flat out lied. She said he did not cancel card, their fraud department did. Passing blame around not caring the huge impact they had by not allowing me access to my funds. They said they cannot undo a Fraud alert. We all know it is a punch of a button.

In this day with computers, they very well can reactivate a card in a split second. Especially when it was their error. But they refused to. Also, should they not have verified by a telephone call to me before canceling my one and only means of access to MY money? Just all around a failure of customer service. They care no one bit about customers and I will close my account as soon as I get my new card. Until then, a bank is holding my money without my consent. No wonder everyone hates big banks. I am so very disgusted with everyone I encountered.

PNC Bank as a whole is just another crooked financial institution that is set on stealing your money anyway they can - after trying to establish some credit I decided to close my account in July 2016 due to the outrageous fees. My experience closing my secured card to receive my check refund has been an absolute nightmare. It is now almost the end of September and 15 phone calls later my problem is still not resolved.

Their customer service individuals still leave out detailed information about the process on purpose with scripted answers and when they transfer you to different departments they too are also telling lies to delay any process for you. They apparently lie about sending your money out when they have in fact not sent anything at all. This is my last straw contacting this bank for MY MONEY BACK. PNC bank you are STEALING. Terrible customer service. Terrible bank. Terrible practices. My complaint to the Federal Reserve is in the works. I suggest others to do the same.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.
  • Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.
  • Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.
  • Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.
  • Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.
  • Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.
  • Best for PNC is best for customers who live near a PNC Bank branch. For those consumers, PNC is a viable banking solution for those seeking a full-service bank with investing access.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions