1.19/5

1104 PNC Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

The bank has both my retirement benefits and my social security benefits deposited into my account which is more than my previous bank and credit union did for me. It helps me to pay my bills on time.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

The Staff at our local PNC Bank are very helpful and always make us feel like valued customers. We use the bill pay app and are very happy with the ease of use and reliability. We also use their facilities for safe storage. We do use the PNC credit cards. We avoid their savings accounts because the interest is very low. Otherwise we are very pleased.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I would have given PNC some 5's but one of local branches is inconsistent with customer service and I have said as much to them. They were great when renegotiating a home equity loan I use as a line of credit. Same when we renegotiated a mortgage on one of our rental properties.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Unlike other banks I have used, PNC stands out in good customer service. I have been with them since 2012 and have no problems at all. My accounts

are up to date. And they assist you immediately you report your cards are missing. I mean I lost my packet-book in the Mall and was so upset. So, I walked into the nearest branch to report this incident. The manager came out and was so kind and compassionate, she attended to me immediately and instructed on what I should do next. They also encourage you to apply for credits if you are eligible. I check my accounts online sometimes and found no discrepancy. I have rest of mind knowing my accounts are safe. They treat you with respect and explain what offers they have for customers. I believe they are the best bank!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I've been dealing with rude and unhelping reps for years with PNC! As a customer service rep myself for a payroll company, I KNOW how to treat and understand others' POV, but apparently most of their reps don't get trained on decency esp. when you're dealing with someone's finances. I had 1 great experience with an amazing rep just a few weeks ago (but it's the one time PNC doesn't send a survey link to take, go figure) named Bill **. He acted like he genuinely cared and wanted to help and actually did so (gasp, I know). He was so understanding of the situation and went above and beyond in taking care of everything that I got emotional such people still exist in the working world.

Not sure how the fraud department has the audacity to charge me $7.50 for a new debit card when I NEEDED a new one because my debit information was obviously fraudulently used! Bill ** realized that doesn't make sense and reimbursed the amount. Need more reps like him at PNC and other customer service roles!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I called PNC Bank because I couldn't find my automatic payment information that I set up. It is the 15th of August and payment should have been taken out of bank account, funds still there. Called customer service number, was on hold for 10 minutes the first time, and got disconnected. Second time I am currently on hold for 45 minutes with no one coming to help, with a stated wait of 5 minutes. Tried calling on another line to see if someone is even in mortgage department and got put on hold again. I just need to know if my mortgage is going to be funded through my bank before late fee added, I tried just making a payment on-line and it states that I can't make one because one is set up. PLEASE ANSWER PHONE.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I went to the PNC Branch to open a Savings account versus a Checking account, since I did not plan to use the money. The branch representative kept pushing for me to open this “special” type of Checking Account, so after repeatedly saying I want a Savings Account I reluctantly opened it. A family emergency involving my mother came up and I had to spend about 99% of the money, which dropped the balance below the $2,000 threshold for monthly fees being waived. If the representative would have listened to me and opened the Savings Account like I asked, I would not have been charged $90.00 in fees, because my account balance would not have been an issue with the Savings Account I requested.

Now the Customer Service Representative, his Manager, Branch Manager and Retail Escalations Department say they cannot give me a refund on all or Even Part fees. Do I need to be Aware of PNC using tactics that Better Serves Their Needs Versus The Customer’s? It is time to refinance the mortgage knowing that if they cannot help me out over a small issue, what will they do on a larger issue on a loan?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I've been a customer for a very long time. I've been using online statements, their phone app and checking account....I've been there before they were PNC, I have not left and was a loyal customer. Somehow things changed...just last few months things have changed. I can see online every time I use money and see it deducted and see how much I'm left, and I look several times a day and every day. It use not matter the pending amounts cause they would deduct from total. They still do but the pending amounts now stay pending for several days, sometimes a week and then when it settles you're now negative and when you look down your statement the amounts are not the same.

I can look every day and see the things I buy being deducted even if they're pending or not. This is how it's been for years but now when pending clears I'm then negative. And where it showed me I have money it shows something different all of sudden when cleared. This never happened before. I've always been able to manage my pending accounts. Why for several days I watch careful it will say like 8 dollars for several days until I spend it. Then pending clears...negative. It hasn't always been like this and PNC reps tell me they don't know what I'm talking about and making me feel like I'm crazy. Now I'm pulling money out and going somewhere else. Why now with online do I need to carry a register and manually deduct my own money?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

This bank is awful and has never helped me in a single thing that I need. I have a debit card with them and it is constantly put on hold (suspected fraud) and they make me call to verify, every single time. TD bank doesn't make me call!! I also recently put in a credit card application with them and the process has solidified my terrible view of them. I have to call their department to verify information (instead of online like every other bank) and instead of connecting me with the person I need to speak to originally I have to verify my info to 4 separate people before being helped. My last call with them I was on hold for a half hour, they gave no indication of how long the hold would be and I sat on the line just to tell them my name/social/address so they could push my application through. I honestly hope I get rejected from this credit application so I never have to deal with this poorly managed bank and incompetent customer service department ever again.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

My experience is that PNC is the worst bank for both personal and business accounts. Here is why:

1) Their relationship managers and underwriters are unprofessional and don't care about me. They would never follow up with me when they say they would and the last one met me once and then ignored me. Even though they offered some options they never got back to me and never even replied to my email on how to proceed.

2) Their online system is antiquated. Their website looks like it hasn't been updated in years, the font is too small, and the mobile app looks like a spreadsheet. At some point Chrome did SSL update and I couldn't login to my account for months unless I used a different browser. When I called them they told me they were working with Google to resolve that.

3) Their online security consists of constantly pestering you with silly security questions. Even if you are using the same computer, you will be asked these questions again and again. When other banks use mobile authentication, PNC still asks who you went to prom with.

4) If you are using Xero or another site that connects to your bank with Yodlee, PNC is my only account that would often stop working and syncing, and I would have to delete the login and update it and answer the security questions again.

5) They offered to upgrade my personal credit card to PNC Cash Rewards. However, instead of doing a product change, they opened a second card and did a hard pull before I could even tell them that I don't want that.

6) Their check deposit scanner is $50 per month and the deposit software is so old you can't even reset your password without calling them. In addition, the merchant services rate for online deposits is higher than other banks.

I finally had enough and in the process of moving my accounts to other banks. I suggest you do the same.

PNC expert review by Barbara Friedberg

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.

• Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.

• Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.

• Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.

• Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.

• Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.

• Best for: PNC is best for customers who live near a PNC Bank branch. For those consumers, PNC is a viable banking solution for those seeking a full-service bank with investing access.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg