1.18/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

984 PNC Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

The PNC Branch at 1919 Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington, DC is the worst place you would ever want to have any service. They simply DON'T care about your requests and they are very lazy to their job. I requested some foreign currency and they said they would call you when arrived. No, they won't call you. When you call to check the status, they would say no because they don't have a courtesy to check the envelopes and they blame post office delays. Finally when I asked the general customer line for help, I called the branch back and the manager had the courtesy to check. Then she came back and let me know the currency is in their branch. I spent more than one hour to find a simple Yes or No answer. Try to avoid this PNC at all costs.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I had read a few concerning reviews but because of the highest available interest decided to go for it anyway. Terrible mistake. The approval of the account went smoothly but then the ongoing frustration continued to mount. Even though the account was approved, I couldn't transfer any money into the account for 5 business days. Now understand, I was trying to put the money in, not take it out. Once I was able to transfer money in, it had to be done in $75k increments per day. The maximum amount that can be deposited in 30 days is $250k. I wanted to deposit $375k. As you can see PNC seems to be doing everything possible to keep me from doing business with them.

By the way, I talked with several people with the bank, going all the way to management, and there was no willingness to allow me to move forward in depositing my $375k in their bank. So if you decide to go with them anyway, make sure you stay under the $75k amount and don't think PNC will make it easy. Just so you'll know, I was able to move my money into another bank just the way I wanted to do it without any of the above problems. Yes, it was a slightly lower interest rate but if there was this much trouble depositing the money in PNC, I can't imagine what other issues could have arose in trying to get my money out.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Their website is total JUNK - since I cannot use more suitable words in public. It's hard to use and far, far outdated. When the website fails, they will charge you fees due to their own outdated slow 90s website. Then trying to deal with their incredibly poor customer service is yet another obstacle to contend with. I'm unfortunately forced to use them because my mortgage loan was transferred to them, and it was hard to get the first payment made because their site kept bugging out. Tried to contact them and they responded THREE days later. It was very hard to set up a simple pay-from account on their website and since their site failed they charged ME an extra $15 fee, which they then said they could not remove. Which is baloney, you can remove a bogus fee. I could go into way more details but just want to warn of poor service ALL AROUND! STAY away from this so-called bank.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We started our business with PNC and asked them for the credit card reader through them, they told us that it will be $27 a month to lease it and no minimum sale amount required. Also the device was insured for the lifetime of the lease of two years. I did ask the PNC representative that came to my store to talk with me about the machine and confirmed twice that I will only pay $27 a month for the lease, nothing else! Within a month we started to receive fees for apps that were supposed to come with the machine, they told me I had to have insurance on it and that it did not come with it and then today they charged me double for the machine for the month. I am so disappointed. The only explanation they can give is that I was charged for two months of use and I have only had the device 23 days. I have asked for everything to be canceled and take their machine.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I'd been keeping a close eye on my account through online banking because I had overdraft fees at a time when I shouldn't have. I should have taken screenshots to prove it. Direct Deposits have been sitting in pending while debits are allowed to come through which caused overdraft fees. They will not refund and insist they have posted items as they come through. I also noticed several dates had changed on items that had been posted (not pending transactions). The change resulted in my balance changing from day to day causing an overdraft fee. Keep a close eye on your account and take screenshots of your activity. I will be closing my account with PNC.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Spoke with Jennifer ** in the Retail Escalation Dept in the hope of trying to understand why a computer application denied me the privilege of opening a Checking Account online? She informed me that my application was rejected and a letter would be sent out to me. She could not explain why my application was rejected and refused to allow me to speak with anyone else about my situation. Is this the kind of institution and people you want to be handling your money?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

PNC Bank charged me 430$ in fees 'cause they paid out 3 of my bills which made me overdrawn. The 1 $19.55 check cost me $144 and they still didn't pay it. 2nd one for $47 cost me $72 and didn't get paid. This was only 9 days. This is bull. Been with them 40 years. Time to find another bank.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Never late, never past due, never not paid every dime I borrowed from them back and they wouldn’t loan me any money. In my working life I put everything I made for while with them which was Million plus through the bank.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

A few months back I financed a vehicle through PNC. I am astonished they don’t have online bill pay. You have to mail a check with coupon. I signed up for auto withdrawals and I was told I’d receive a letter once it was set up. WRONG! I mailed a check and they auto deducted. I called and asked for a refund check or reversal of the auto payment. Because I don’t bank with them, it would take 2 weeks to get a check. No problem. I called 2 days later to find out if a check was mailed. “No ma’am. We were unable to verify your address.” WHAT? They had me verify my address when I called previously. Why wasn’t I called? Had to ask to speak with a manager 3 times before I was transferred.

The “manager,” of the escalation department, continuously tried to talk over me. Even said it wasn’t mailed because of an invalid address, but the person who put through the paperwork did it incorrectly. Who trains these people? Told me he’d try to get out that day. He gave me his name and # and said he’d call me back that day. WRONG! I left a message for him the following morning. Still no returned call that afternoon. Spoke to someone else in the department who said the check had not been mailed, but that the review team was emailed. WTF? I was assured the “manager” would call me back and leave a detailed message on my cell. Uh... No he won’t because he’ll be talking to me. Still no call! Piss poor customer service! Untrained personnel! Doesn’t care about their consumers! I am getting a different lender!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Today I got an email time stamped for a time I was not even awake, saying the email associated with my SmartAccess card has been changed, and to call if I didn’t authorize this change. Before calling, I tried to log into the account and it said the last 4 digits of my SSN were wrong. So I called, and the rep noted I had called earlier in the day to change all of my information - I did not. They let some random person change all information associated with my SmartAccess account INCLUDING THE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER *OVER THE PHONE.* And for me, the rightful account owner, to change it back I’M the one who has to take time out of my day to visit the branch to prove my identity. But this was not so with whatever freak stole my information! This is NOT a bank that values your security whatsoever. Stay away.

PNC expert review by Barbara Friedberg

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.

• Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.

• Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.

• Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.

• Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.

• Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.

• Best for: PNC is best for customers who live near a PNC Bank branch. For those consumers, PNC is a viable banking solution for those seeking a full-service bank with investing access.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg