PNC Bank

PNC Bank

3.4/5 (765 ratings)

About PNC Bank

PNC Mortgage (NMLS #446303), a part of The PNC Financial Services Group, is a full-service lender with a variety of purchase and refinance mortgage products, including conventional, VA, USDA and FHA loans. PNC has physical branches in 28 states and Washington, D.C.

PNC Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: July 22, 2022

I've had the PNC SmartAccess card for several months now, and I can say I love it. The mobile app is convenient and works great, the card is absolutely beautifully designed, and customer service is very helpful and professional. Plus, customer care is available 24/7 unlike customer care with Virtual Wallet Account(s) which I had and hated that's why I switched to their prepaid card. The card is great for people who don't want a standard checking, teens & young adults, and also for people who have had a troubled banking past. The downside is: NO MOBILE CHECK DEPOSIT! The NO mobile deposit is a big inconvenience and I hope that can be added in the future. Other than that the card has been pretty good and great using!

Original review: March 19, 2022

I absolutely love, love, love PNC Bank. About a month ago I upgraded from their prepaid card to the Virtual Wallet Performance Account! (Spend, Reserve & Growth) I couldn’t be more happier and thankful. PNC is the absolute BEST, BEST, BEST bank I have ever been with, customer service is extraordinary, great branch & ATM locations nationwide, and my local branch is phenomenal.

Since I’ve been with them I haven’t been stressed, or had any issues with them whatsoever. As a person who was not on a great financial path, PNC has helped me dramatically. I started off with their SmartAccess Prepaid Card, and then gradually transferred to Virtual Wallet. This bank has everything you need in a financial institution and TRUST ME they will get you where you want to be. Better financially, building credit, financing a car, or home, getting a loan, and much more. THIS IS THE BANK TO GO! I highly, highly recommend them.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I've had a great experience with PNC Bank so far! I have their prepaid card, and it's been fantastic for me. Great customer service, excellent card, I love the tap pay feature available, I've never had one issue when it comes to banking with PNC. I do look forward getting a checking account with them in the future. I do recommend the SmartAccess Card. It's the best prepaid card I have ever used. PNC Bank is wonderful.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Would like to give a great shout out to LEIGH ** from Houston (go Astros) after over a week during the bank transition from BBVA to PNC. She took the extra effort and was able to get a pin # so I was able to log in to accounts. This was after 7 days of aggravation and people just transferring me to a different number and put on hold, for about a total of 10 hours in 3 days. Obvious now that the other people just didn't want to have to go the extra mile. It only took Leigh about 15 minutes and we had the whole situation fixed and logged into new accounts. Thanks again Leigh and hope they appreciate your hard work and going above and beyond especially during these crazy times.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

Very poor customer service and they obviously do not value me as a customer. I set up auto payments for my PNC Visa over the phone, with a PNC rep while I was on my computer. Or so I thought. Now I have a late payment alert! I had already set up auto payments. Now when I logged in, there was an alert “ your payment settings have changed “. I didn’t change anything.

The PNC rep on the phone says there is no auto pay set up but I might have set up bill pay by mistake. Ummm....your rep helped me set up the auto pay for my credit card! I just told her to go listen to the recording. I even gave her the date of the phone call from my notes. She did not bother checking for call records. They are not helping me at all to remove the two late fees for August and September.

I told her to go back to 8/13 and the call recording where they can hear me having trouble setting it up and the lady helped me set it up. My credit union account is even on my account to account at bills from! AND there is only ONE bill to pay...my PNC credit card! They won’t remove my two late fees and have escalated to the supervisor's supervisor to see if they can resolve this. Should be an easy thing to do since clearly it was a mistake by the rep helping me set it up as evidenced by my credit union info on the account to pay from. Very poor customer service and they obviously do not value me as a customer.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

This is probably the worst customer service I've ever experienced. Please ignore this bank. You don't want to work with them. I have no idea whether they are trustworthy or dishonest, I only know that our loan processor was completely unresponsive and wouldn't answer her phone, call back, or reply to emails in a timely manner. After two weeks of not getting clarity, I finally had to call a number which took 20 minutes to find and tell them to withdraw my HELOC application.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Today, 9/21/22, I check my bank account to make sure things are aligned properly to pay bills this week ending. To my surprise I see and "Temp Credit" on 3 lines in my account. One of the 3 are accurate. I called the bank to further verify what these purchases are and when they were made. I live and work in DC; do not drive and do not shop online or otherwise at any of these stores. When I asked, I was told that a purchase was made at a Giant Food in Manassas, VA at 9:03 am this morning. I am at work, actually working before then. The next charge for some clothing items from Kim Kardashian's online site. (I never heard of it and being that I am past the age of wearing her items).

I looked further and discovered that on 9/21/22 someone purchased 2 orders of food from a place in Woodbridge, VA. I went to the bank after the phone call to PNC closed the current card account. I was given a new card, and told that tomorrow, 9/23/22, PNC will conference call with me to file a formal investigation after the over $400.00 posts from my account. Fortunately, I have overdraft protection, but PNC moved money I have saved for bill to cover the thievery of my account.

Obviously, PNC is having issues again and this a first for me. I was shocked but glad I checked my account earlier today. At the rate the thief was going they would have drained my bank account. PNC needs to look into this. During my visit, the PNC rep informed me that she had at least 8 clients in the last week with the same issue come to her location for a new card. My card never leaves my side and I am single, living alone. Therefore no one other than myself has access to my account. Please reach out to PNC to look into this.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

This virtual wallet account has been a complete nightmare. My account balance is never correct. They will deduct funds automatically when using debit, but will randomly put the funds back in your account days later. I called about this issue and was told to manually track my purchases and balance by paper! Transactions pend for entirely too long. I found out a company has been excessively charging my card every 48 hours until the funds were available in my account and PNC never alerted me of this charge. I placed a large deposit into this account to cover my mortgage only for PNC to then start deducting random purchases I have made well over (by debit) 10 days ago.

I tried to move the money to my growth so it would stop deducting these funds until I got it straightened out. PNC just continued to deduct these 2-week old pending payments from that balance and pull from my growth to cover the charges. Which left me short of my mortgage payment. When it came time for the mortgage payment, PNC let them deduct the full amount leaving my account negative in the thousands. Now I have to wait only God knows how many “business days” for them to reverse the charges and let me adjust my mortgage payment.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

Failed to deposit HELOC draw into account they requested I set up by sending them my ID over email. Can’t deposit initial draw due to the nearest in state PNC being 2.5 hour drive away. No timely help.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

My experience with PNC financial services in preparation for retirement was not a good experience. Poor communication and follow up on phone calls. Poor guidance with investments. I do not recommend them for a retirement strategy.

PNC author review by Barbara Friedberg

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.

• Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.

• Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.

• Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.

• Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.

• Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor