1.11/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 24, 2018

912 PNC Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 24, 2018

Closed account causing checks to bounce - My daughter planned a trip Overseas to volunteer to help Others. We issued a check To the travel coordinators and the bank close the account. According to our records the bank Authorized us to issue the checks. Said the account was good and the account was closed. They claim by the account holder which was not accurate. The account was never authorized to be closed causing insufficient funds fees. I researched other reviews and a turns out this seems to be a common occurrence with this bank generating revenue from this ERROR.

I believe that students at Penn State should be given more opportunity greatest selection of banks to choose from and I'm very surprised at PNC Bank for seemingly perpetuating a common problem among many of their customers. When we spoke with customer service they Were very accusatory. Blaming us for the mistake when in fact it was not our mistake at all. We were told by the PNC representatives to go ahead. It issued the checks that the account was good. I recommend to everybody be very careful when dealing with PNC bank.

Original review: April 18, 2018

After having an account with PNC for 10 years, I inquired about a home mortgage loan and was working with Kara **. I spent a week provided 3 years of tax returns, all investment accounts and contractual information on my employment. I was told that my credit score was very good and should easily qualify for a loan based on my debt to income ratio. I never heard back from Kara and after leaving numerous messages and contacting the complaint department, Kara returned my call and informed me that the "underwriters won't approve the loan because your contract is only for a year". I had the director of the program contact them to explain that the standard contracts are a minimum of a year but intended to promote long-term employment. Regardless, Kara could not explain why my calls were not returned and the at this point I will never do business with PNC again.

It is obvious that PNC has become an entity disengaged from its customers and as such, we are just anonymous numbers easily dismissed. I would strongly encourage anyone looking for a customer based financial service to go local. Pinnacle Bank rose to the occasion and offered a better percentage rate with 100% financing. Lesson learned.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2018

This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I received an email that contained my balance at 12:45PM on April 16th. According to my Virtual Wallet app that the bank sells to you as a tool to make banking with them "worry free" the amount shown in the email was accurate. I never deposit the full amount of my check because even though it is payroll, it takes days to process. I deposited the first check I received after opening my account with PNC on a Friday and my funds were not available to me until the following Tuesday (even though I was told I could access them the next day). After that I opted to pay to have my check cashed elsewhere and deposit a portion of the cash into the account, so I always have cash on hand at the house. As of 11PM the amount had not changed in my account, and I had not used my debit card in two days.

I wake up the next day to find that I have $144 in overdraft fees for three purchases all less than $20 that processed from the weekend at a few minutes before midnight. I called customer service and spent 47 minutes on hold. Ending the call as I walked into the local branch that had opened before my call was ever answered. The manager said his hands were tied, and that he could not remove the fees. He also subtly accused me of fabricating my story. Told me that the transactions had posted at 10PM, so I could not have looked at a positive balance at 11PM.

I called customer service again and waited on hold for just over 30 minutes this time before speaking with a representative. I was again basically told there was nothing that could be done, so asked to be transferred to whomever was in charge of the call center. This is the person that told me the actual time that the transactions took place which was just minutes before midnight. When I explained my experience at the local branch, and how I was told that there was no way I could have looked at 11PM because everything had taken place before that, he apologized. I had begun to relax a little thinking that this person seemed sincere enough and appeared to want to help.

I asked about the fees and that is when his whole tone changed. He refused to do anything, and said that no matter how it happened I am responsible. I understand that if your account falls into the negative that there is a fee, and you are ultimately responsible, but the way everything happened has definitely left a bitter taste in my mouth. To me, it comes across as a legal scam. I am on my way to deposit enough money to cover the outrageous fees that were placed on my account and then am immediately closing it. I will never bank with PNC again. I opened the account based off of a friend's advice to do so, and wish I would have done more research first. Every review I have read since waking up to this problem is one that speaks of a bad experience. Don't let it happen to you. Bank somewhere else.

Original review: April 13, 2018

PNC is the worst Bank period for fair treatment of its customers. On 3.27/2018 I requested a Balance transfer which "immediately" posted to my PNC Card. Upon contacting Customer Service, I was assured that a check had been released the very same day to the other bank. After 18 days no check has been received and PNC declares it must be lost in the mail. Apparently the only option is to reissue and wait another 15 day process time - CANNOT be expedited. That leaves me carrying the same debt obligation for 30 days with both banks. This is "legalized stealing" on the part of PNC since there will never be any incentive to mail out offsetting checks in a timely manner. Anyone taking advantage of this "unsolicited" offering should only use the provided checks - DO NOT use the Online script.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Overdraft Item fee - I AM SO disappointment of PNC bank Customer service. They are the worst bank ever. I will never bank with them again. I will close my account with them and go and bank with other bank. They had the worst customer service. They aren't trying to listen to you or try to help you out. Never will I return back to them again. Are so rude when they are talking to the customer. They are just bad service. They just horrible? I am better with other banks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: April 5, 2018

I honestly don't know where to start. Basically, I applied for an online personal loan. This company called Advance America was all a fraud. I reached out to my Bank (PNC) on 3-13-18 to professionally dispute this matter at hand. Let's just stay as of Today 4-5-18. I have not gotten $1000 situation finalized. I will continue to fight for what is right and justified. Please could someone help me. After, tomorrow I will be notifiy my local police department as well as the BBB...

Original review: March 30, 2018

My son made 3 car payments at one time in February and received a confirmation number. Two weeks later the money appeared back in his checking account at the other bank so he called PNC to see what happened on 3 separate occasions and was told all 3 times the payments posted and he was all good. Yesterday morning he woke up only to see his car had been repo'd through the night by PNC bank for non payment.

He lives at home and I can tell you he had not received any mail from PNC or alerts regarding non payment, when we called them they informed us they had a system error in early March causing mass errors where payments weren't processed and were aware this was their error so after missing his test in college yesterday due to no automobile and spending all day on the phone they finally had the repo company bring his car back at midnight, 16 hours after our first phone call to them. They promise this won't show on his credit but considering they also assured him his payments had processed I do not trust them.

Original review: March 28, 2018

This is the worst bank to make online payments with. I made my 1st payment by phone because I threw my pin number away after setting up my account in January 2018, which did not work, so I had to make another request for a pin number which took 2 more weeks. My 2nd payment cleared March 07, 2018. (For February.) Made my 3rd payment online March 23, 2018 believing it went through because a confirmation number was given. Well started getting phone calls today saying no March payment has been received. Called back with confirmation number and was told they could not track the payment with that number and my promissory payment was broken March 27, 2018. When asked what did that mean and the lady said the payment did not go through. Why? Money was in my account to cover payment. I have never dealt with a bank that is so difficult to pay payments with.

Original review: March 26, 2018

PNC online banking installed a new system. Twice it didn't take my payment and I was charged a late fee. I had to call customer service to find out how to schedule a payment. I had no idea I had to go into transfer funds for credit payment. I called again today 3/26/18 because it happened a second time. I tried to set up my payment again! I got an error code and to call customer service! Credit card services is sending the info to someone else! This has cost me $26.00 fee. How many other people have late fees because of this system?

Original review: March 22, 2018

PNC is probably one of the worst banks that I’ve ever been unfortunate enough to deal with. They have good features, yes, but their added fees are simply ridiculous. They charge 36$ for an overdraft fee, and if your account is negative for more than five days, they charge an additional 7$ for every day that the account is overdrawn. I’ve been told that they made 12 billion dollars on overdraft fees alone. They hardly forgive the fees, and all of the employees are like robots with no compassion or understanding. They rehearse the same spiel every time, and at the end of the day, they don’t really try to actually help you out.

I spoke with a representative a few days ago about an overdraft fee that was assessed to my account due to a purchase that I had not made. She said that she wasn’t able to forgive the fee, even though I did not make the purchase, and she pushed me to opt in for overdraft protection. The representative explicitly told me that I WOULD NOT be charged an overdraft fee if I opted in to overdraft protection, and told me that this would make it so I did not have to deal with overdraft fees in the future. Believing what the representative said, I opted in for overdraft protection, and lo and behold, the next day I got charged a 36$ overdraft fee for a 5$ Hulu subscription. Upset with the false information I was given, I spoke with another representative the following day, explained the situation about being lied to, and he was not helpful at all.

He must’ve copied and pasted some spiel about all employees adhering to company policy, and all this other stuff they probably tell everyone. Even though I told him that I was lied to by the other representative. When I asked to speak to a manager, he basically said the same thing again, and then said that regardless of who I speak to, the answer is still going to be the same, which is total BS and untrue. I know people who have worked at PNC, and when I asked them about this, they basically all said the same thing: that PNC employees are trained to do everything or say anything to avoid speaking with a manager, because of how it supposedly reflects on them. I was told that the manager could be standing right next to the representative throughout the entire conversation, telling them to say they are busy or that they will tell me the same thing, just so they don’t have to deal with it.

I don’t expect to get special treatment, but I do expect companies and businesses to have integrity and to be honest with their customers. The fact that they did not acknowledge the fact that I was lied to, speaks volumes. It says to me that at the end of the day, they are more concerned with racking in extra money with all of the extra fees than they are about the actual satisfaction of their customers or about the integrity of the company. I can’t continue to support a bank that I’m not even able to trust.

Original review: March 21, 2018

On 3/21/18, I went to close my account at PNC Bank, 2761 Fairfield Commons, Beavercreek OH 45431. Once the teller and I could hear each other over the carrying on from other employees, we confirmed that only the manager could close the account or I could get cash. The manager was having a 20 minute call while we were waiting even though he knew we were waiting. The teller then directed me to him. After confirming my identity with my license, he has the check made out to me to me to cash out.

We were in the bank about 30 minutes to get close the account and make one other transaction. Both the teller and manager kept my license and did not offer to return it. My wife had to physically take it from the manager's desk. The unprofessional and party atmosphere of the bank is appalling. The lack of business sense in not knowing how to close an account and return legal documents show this bank is there for themselves and not customers. I sure did make the right move in closing the account. I will never return!

Original review: March 16, 2018

My account had pending transactions on the 15th. I made a mobile deposit on the 15th. Given that PNC posts transactions by 10pm, all pending transactions along with my deposit were due to clear. On the 16th I was hit with two $36 fees as if funds were not available for what was pending. The Rep then went into explaining the amount of funds that are available immediately ($100) and that it was put against an amount of a recurring charge. When I alerted her of the fact that that charge was still pending, she then wanted to "research" why it was showing as pending when her "computer" showed it being paid from the "available" funds. After no clear explanation on that, she then went on to explain how Overdraft Coverage works.

Apparently, according to what this PNC Rep explained, this coverage only allows debit, credit and ATM withdrawals to be paid and not recurring charges. There were 2 recurring charges that they allowed to come through because it was at the "discretion" of PNC. Meaning, they purposely allowed these to post then used the "excuse" of unavailable funds to charge me $72 in fees when a deposit and all pending transactions cleared on the exact same day! I don't care for banking institutions that state that the purpose of coverage options is to ensure customers in the case of an emergency then utilize those same options to charge fees at their discretion. As soon as I am able to, the majority of my banking will be done elsewhere. I'm done with PNC!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I used this bank for 7 yrs. I have never been more dissatisfied in my life with a bank. Over the weekend I did a couple of emergency errands at a pharmacy before the snow storm. I had enough to cover my purchase on my account. On Monday I had to buy a transit pass to get to and from work, I was short $7.00. No biggie. On Tuesday I was hit with $115.00 on overdraft fees. On Wednesday it was $152.00. I called customer service to explain my situation and I was passed on to the department that handles the overdraft fee charges. The manager (John) so he said he was a manager, doubt it with his lack of customer service. Argued with me telling me that I didn’t have no funds for my purchase done over the weekend when I was monitoring my money through Virtual Wallet. He said he would not discuss the fees no longer. That he wasn’t going to remove them.

I understand that if you don’t have money and the bank covers you then yes you’re responsible for that fee, but a $36.00 fee for a $1.89 purchase and then another $36.00 for a $3.75 purchase and then another $36.00 fee for a $21.50 purchase all of the above purchase was done while having funds in my account. The only purchase that actually did fall on me was that of a trans pass to get to and from work. The trans pass cost $25.50 and at that time I only had $18.70 in my account so I got hit with $36.00 overdraft fee which I own up for. But to take half of my paycheck on fees that I had money for because the order they posted, especially in today’s time where all kind of help is being cut for the working class, etc. Especially when you been a customer to this bank since college days.

I’ve never felt so robbed by an institution that I trusted my money with. John if that indeed is his name manager of department of overdraft fees if indeed that is his title was not at all sympathetic and of no help, he made a bad day into a nightmare. I will be closing this account ASAP once it’s up to date. I will never recommend PNC Bank to no one!!!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I've spent about 10 years with PNC, and for that amount of time they have been nothing but garbage. It's nothing to do with any of the physical people inside the establishment. It have everything to do with the online aspect of it. The PNC virtual wallet app is actual trash. It would be faster, easier and more reliable for you to check your banking information online with a computer. Which works just about as much as the app. Which leads you to the telephone, except when you call the robot stops working somehow, and then sends you to the handle of being on hold for about 2 hours. Why have I spent so long at this terrible place? Well, thats just gold-ol-fashioned laziness/depression/anxiety/holy**itsbeentenyears/whatamidoingwithmylife/imgoingtodiealone.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I've had several issues with PNC Bank with their customer aftercare program and their handling of documentation during a claims process. My first issue arose when my debit card needed to be renewed. I did not receive a renewal in the mail (PNC claimed they sent one) when I did inquire about it. I figured it got lost in the mail, was mailed late etc and was not too bothered. The local branch informed me to come on down and they could process and create me a new debit card on site. Great!

This was just a hiccup but this leads me to my biggest issue. Fast forward about 2 years, I moved up at the Cadillac dealership I was employed at and as a Christmas present for myself, decided to buy myself a used Jaguar. Since the purchase was at the dealership I was employed at, and I financed through PNC for the remainder of the lien, it was a straightforward and fast process. For context at the time I was 22 years old, had no co signer because I built my personal credit score up to an 881, which I heavily prided myself on.

About a year later while commuting to work, I unfortunately got into an accident and the vehicle was a total loss. This accident happened in January of 2016. After going through the normal procedure of communicating back and forth between PNC (Holder of the title) and my insurance company GEICO, the vehicle was deemed a total loss and the situation settled. I gave GEICO and PNC power of attorney to transfer all documents and settle the case. In my eyes everything was settled. GEICO cut a check for more than what I owed on the loan, they sent the check over to PNC and PNC sent the title over to GEICO.

About 3 months down the road I receive a call from my mother stating that she has GEICO and PNC on the phone asking for me so they can send the documentation over. Wait. This was just taken care of on a recorded call 3 months ago? I entered the conversation to find that nothing was done 3 months ago and we had to send the documentation back over. I relinquished power of attorney and the process was started a second time. Now thinking everything was settled I ended up getting a call a few weeks later from PNC and a repossession agent stating they are at the body shop which picked up my vehicle from the accident scene, and that my Jaguar was up for repossession because I was behind on my payment by 4 months.

Now this is getting crazy, 4 months ago the vehicle was totaled and the total loss settled and now this is happening? I ended up contacting both PNC and GEICO for clarification about what was going on. According to GEICO, they never received the title so they never sent the check apparently just leaving me out of the loop to suffer the consequences. I then contacted PNC and asked for who I was dealing with during the settlement. The woman who was handling my case, Julia, apparently went home early that day and forgot to send the title. This is what I was told by a PNC operator but I've never been able for them to confirm this to this day.

After bouncing between GEICO and PNC some more everything was sent over and the case settled. The repossession however is where the biggest issue is coming into play. My credit score went from an 881 to around a 550 at the time because of PNC's mistake. To this day this mistake has not been corrected. I was told by PNC to write a handwritten letter about what happened in full detail, and that they would be able to correct it. Almost two years later, countless follow up calls and still no resolution has been found to amend this situation. This has impacted my life dramatically and it really isn't fair that I have to suffer the repercussions for PNC, GEICO or both of them dropping the ball.

After this situation obviously I had no vehicle, and I could not even lease, finance a new or used vehicle even from the very dealership I worked at because my credit score went so low. I still remained a PNC customer until this week. I encountered some medical issues and have been out of work for the past few months. Disability is hard to come by and takes awhile, so obviously most of my savings were used during this time. My one account was down to bare minimum and PNC decided to charge me a service charge which ended up bringing my account into negative. Usually on a service charge that creates an overdraft, they will reimburse it and it would usually not have any negative standing on your account status.

I decided to do my tax returns early, so I contacted PNC to retrieve my bank and routing numbers so I could supply them to my accountant. The operator tells me that they've closed my account because of the overdraft, and that I would need to start a new account with at least a $1000 deposit to be reconstituted into PNC. I explained the situation and they said there is nothing that can be done. This to me was the final straw after all the colossal mishaps I've experienced while being a PNC customer. Personally I work as a Customer Relations Manager in the Automotive industry and the customer care I've received has just been appalling especially after being a loyal customer for so long.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Customer service is straight from Compton... I asked before depositing my check, "How long?" Rep said "ooh next day should clear"... still waiting. It's been 5 days. Calling Gangsters Inc... And was told they are holding it because they won't cover it... uuh? "Who? WHAT are you talking about. It's a check... how long will it take ma'am." Rep: "IDK..." smh. Just clear my money so I can close my account... yuck!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

My bank account was closed and they are still accepting my direct deposits (IRS and STATE). I called the 1800 CS hotline, they were no help at all. So I called the local branch, the first lady was no help. Couldn't tell me anything that I already knew but wasn't getting any questions answered. Why they were still taking my money (my account was already closed for at least 3 weeks or more and when I'll be getting my money back. I'd like to know what my rights are, if my account is closed, shouldn't my money be rejected and sent back to the place it was issued from? Instead they said they were taking the overdrawn fee out of my checks. Can they legally do this after my account has been closed. The branch is located in Whitehall, PA. I need help in this matter. We're talking about money I use to pay my bills and support my family. It's over 10,000$ they are keeping because of an 160$ overdraw and late fee. I need help please.

Updated on 03/05/2018: I have tried to contact PNC Bank Whitehall, PA about my account being closed almost a month ago. I had my IRS and STATE check deposited into my account not even knowing my account was even closed. I never even received a letter in the mail until almost a month later. I'm still waiting to get my money back from them which equals to almost $12,000. I think it's time I get a lawyer.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I took an unsecured loan from PNC Bank and it has been the worst experience... I was never ever late on a payment. I maintain a 780 credit score... In the 5 year term I also used PNC to cash an insurance check while I was on an 8 week business trip Europe. They were so incompetent... Never returned phone calls etc. Now I am travelling again and they cannot pull it together. They don't return phone calls and should be disgraced to be in business. If you need a reputable financial organization. Do not use PNC Bank. Trust me.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I have had a PNC virtual wallet account for about 8 months now. I like certain features, but if you become more than ($-5) they charge you a $36 overdraft fee if you do not drive and deposit the CASH before 10pm at a atm and a branch. They have refunded me before because of stupid errors or just the fact I couldn’t make it to their ATM (sometimes it’s down, once drove all over Tampa looking for one to put cash in). I was -3 dollars technically -8 dollars because of the five dollar cushion. I was OK except for the $3.00. Instead of driving to the ATM with my cash that night my friend who also has PNC Virtual Wallet Account (I referred her how ironic) said she would just Zelle (transfer the $) to me. I even looked on the website to make sure that it would go through before 10 PM. It says if you have the same bank it goes through instantly or within minutes.

The next morning I wake up and I -$45. Now all the sudden PNC will not do anything and the money has been taken out of her account, I have all the confirmation emails, and PNC will not budge has been quite rude. A couple of months ago I got a Navy Federal Credit Union account. I LIKED my PNC Virtual Wallet account but looks like no one will help me. Bad image on the bank's side.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

PNC Bank refuses to apply principal-only payments to principal only. It's been more than 2 weeks and all they say is 'give it more time, it takes a while to make the change'. Anyone else misappropriating funds like that would be in prison. I think a class action lawsuit is in order.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I spoke to William ** of the Ludlow Ave, Cincinnati branch on 25th of January 2018 regarding obtaining a mortgage loan. He was friendly and said he would work on my case. Gave him all my financial statements but 3 weeks later not a single email reply to say how it is going despite me emailing him back a couple of times asking for updates. Very unprofessional. Will not bank with PNC as they do not respect potential customers.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I got a PNC credit card well over a year ago. It was 0% interest until 3/1/18. I have diligently been paying off the credit card in full before 3/1/18 to avoid having to pay interest on the balance. I made a two (2) $1K payments in January 2018, leaving a $500 balance which I had scheduled to be paid in 2/18. I logged on to my PNC mobile app today and saw that they had charged me a $27 late fee plus $1.50 interest on that late fee.

When I called them to request that they write that $28.50 fee off because I had made two (2) $1K payments in January, one of which was intended to be paid early for the February bill, they told me that the payment was "made before the start of the pay cycle" and they refused to do so. I asked them if it was worth $28.50 to retain a good customer who paid all bills on time they would not budge. I will NEVER open another account with them as they are obviously far more concerned with charging tacky fees to good customers than retaining them long term.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

If you bank at PNC, withdraw all of your money and run as fast as you can. They accidentally closed out my checking account and lost the money for the last 19 days. It would have been longer but I staged a 2 hour "sit in" at the Plainfield branch and told them I wasn't leaving the building without my money. A half hour after closing time and they finally came through.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

PNC - Thieves! I took an auto loan with PNC back in 2012. When I made a loan payment I paid more than the payment amount, usually $100 more. In 2013 they repossessed my car for past due amount of $30! Past due? And you couldn’t call me for $30 you claim I owed? At this time they informed me that the extra money I was paying wasn’t going towards the auto loan at all! They placed forced place Insurance on my loan charging me hundreds of dollars! They “realized” they made a mistake and refunded me over $1,200 but nothing was refunded towards the repossession fees I had to pay of over $300!

After this I made sure they had my up to date insurance policy that they have had since the beginning anyway! Let’s jump ahead now to August of 2017. When my accountant noticed things weren’t adding up with my loan he told me to call the bank and ask about the forced place insurance... THEY NEVER STOPPED TAKING IT! I called them at least twice a week during their investigation to figure out how much money they owed me. After sending my proof of insurance to them 6 times and multiple Team Member for their useless Escalations Department, they finally came up with a refund amount (of course they didn’t tell me how much was refunded or allow me to see a transcript of the loan). All they told me was, "You owe $121." This was December 19, 2017, I went straight to the bank and paid it.

They told me I would receive my title within 3 weeks. They handed me a payoff slip and a matching receipt. On January 8, 2018 I received a past due bill of $233. Bill generated December 22, 2017, $27.00 in late fees and a print date of January 2, 2018. I immediately called the bank and they claimed it was for Forced place Insurance from December (although they clearly have my insurance information or how did they refund me)? I once again resent my current policy and declaration page.

On Friday January 26, 2018 I spoke to Mark (the new Escalations Investigators). He claimed they now needed proof for 2013/2014. I went into the bank in Bloomsburg Pa and Spoke to Curtis ** whom chose not to help me and give me attitude as if all of this was my fault? Insanity! So I emailed the entire situation to both Mark and Curtis in hopes they will fix this problem and once again request a transcript of my loan Curtis claims I can’t have! Isn’t it mine? Don’t I have the right to know where my money has gone? I refuse to pay them any more money and I need to find someone that will investigate my loan!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

An accurate description of this business is described by their acronym: PNC which stands for: Pleasing No Customers. I am not satisfied with this business, and they do not deserve mine. A lot of shuffling of details and head nodding. Not outright lying - just not actually telling the truth. "Do I qualify for this bonus advertised on the internet?" "Yes". But I guess receiving it and qualifying for it are two separate thoughts. And then... "Will it be useful for me to wait to get my credit card reader until I am actually ready to set up my business in six months?" "No. There is no advantage to waiting..." Except for the fact that if you fail to use it within the given first 30 days, you will not be given the money back that I said would be given to you. (Unsaid.) And what about this yearly fee that was never mentioned? Hmmm... Sounds like a thing they ought not mention. Craziness. Keep your money under your mattress.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

At my local PNC Bank I was given information about a cashiers check. This information was incorrect. When the check did not clear, the bank refused to look into the matter. They did not apologize or acknowledge that they had anything to do with the matter. If you can't trust your bank to know this information who are you supposed to trust? The bank manager also did not know how to do a simple wire transfer. It took her over 1 1/2 to complete it. They really need to increase their training of their employees, as well as respond to customer complaints.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

My husband and I have had it with PNC. They recently charged us with 4 overdraft fees, when there was money in the account. They said it was for prior transactions that they forgot to charge. This makes no sense to me! How are they allowed to do this. We have been a customer for 8 years! I'm done!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Everyone working for this bank are extremely unprofessional. I have made an appointment, arrived a few minutes early and the person I was scheduled to meet wasn't there. Right now I have a 3pm meeting and the guy is leisurely eating lunch. I haven't eaten a thing because I'm using my lunch break for this meeting. The time my meeting was shipped, supposedly the specialist had emergency surgery but was in the office the next day laughing and eating just fine. I contacted customer support in tears because I had been trying to find info on my loan and no one would answer and my scheduled beings kept being dogged. I was called by a senior officer in management who apologized and gave me his direct number (which he wouldn't answer or respond to my voicemails after he initially called). I get forget information from both branches in town and the support phone number. Seems everyone who works here is just unprofessional. Very few ethics. It's amazing.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

We were just hacked through PayPal. The hackers started the withdraw process of taking out two $1000 payments, totaling $2000 from my bank account. They changed my password and changed the language to French on the account so when I received my emails about the withdraws it would look like they were spam and I couldn't understand the language to find out. The next day after they started the withdraws, my husband was at work and tried using his PNC bank card. It was declined. We had $500 in our account and knew immediately this wasn't right. He looked online and noticed that we were overdrawn by $1500. He immediately took off work and headed to our local branch. They said there was nothing they could do to stop these payments until they actually posted. They were still showing pending. Which did not make sense to us. If it shows pending, it should be allowed to be stopped.

We asked how $2000 could even be deducted from our account when the funds were not even there. Her reply was that we had opted into overdraft protection. We explained to her that when we signed up it was told to us that the overdraft protection came from our growth account. If we had money to cover the overdraft amounts then it would go through. This was not the case and PNC was letting it happen. We were told to watch our account over the next 24 hours and they went ahead and opted us out of overdraft protection. So, today after we wake up we notice the $2000 is no longer pending and it had indeed been deducted from our account. My husband calls and they said he would once again need to come in. So two days in a row missing work. He goes in, signs the dispute papers and they tell us it would take up to 10 business days for us to get our money back, and that is if they find us in favor of the dispute.

Let me repeat... we are negative $1500 in our bank account, we have two kids and my elderly parents living with us. Our next payday is not until another week. Did PNC care? Absolutely not. Matter of fact they cared so little that after we left the bank with disputing the charges, we notice that one our monthly automatic payments to our car insurance has also went through. Our automatic monthly Netflix fee was declined, but our car insurance wasn't. This was even after we opted out of overdraft protection, and we are still negative $1500 that the bank decided that it was ok for another $138 to leave our account. Even though we did not authorize it. They did reimburse us the overdraft fees immediately. Funny how they can give us those charges back immediately, but not anything else. I called the PNC customer department to file a complaint.

The guy took my complaint, listened to me "ramble" and pretty much cut me off, said he submitted it, and that was it. After this mess is over, we are closing out our accounts, after being with PNC for almost 4 years, and will never return to them. EVER. This was the final straw. The fact their "protection" is what hurt us, should tell you something about this bank. I'm not saying that other banks are better. I'm not saying things happen, but the fact that this happened when it was completely preventable, says a lot about a business. Do not bank with them. Bank with someone that actually cares that they let $2000 be deducted from your account and takes full responsibility and immediately rights their wrong. This is not the bank that does that, so I urge you to look elsewhere. Look at all of the negative reviews. We are not all crazy. There is some validity to what we are saying.

I'm all for mistakes, and I would usually let them slide and call it a day and never leave a bank for it, but this was a BIG mistake and the mistakes keep happening even though we shut off our overdraft. So, pretty much anybody can hack into your account and take what they want and leave you with nothing, and PNC doesn't do anything to stop it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I opened the Business Credit Card Account at PNC bank in 2016. The Banker at Fort Lee branch made a mistake to set up my online banking account for Business Credit Card Account since the beginning. She set it up linking to my personal account. I couldn't review the balance or transaction history for Business Credit Card account via Online banking service. I must 100% depending on paper statement for paying off balance and checking transaction history.

My online banking account was reset up in September in 2017. However, the paper statement had not be mailed in October and November 2017. I reported the customer service to fix the problem, then the CSC said that it will be corrected. I got one time courtesy waiving finance charge for first time. The November statement was missed again and the problem has not be fixed. PNC bank charged me late fee and finance charge to my account. I had paid off 100% for the balance over $10,000 per month on time. I spoke to PNC escalation service but their service has never followed up.

They didn't accept their mistake and never followed up without further explanation or contact. I have major banking account with Bank of America. Comparing to PNC bank, their service is very good. Incorrect statement set-up (e.g. Online and Mailing) and unreasonable banking charge and poor service of ESCALATION department should be reported to Consumer Affairs.

PNC expert review by Barbara Friedberg

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.

• Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.

• Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.

• Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.

• Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.

• Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.

• Best for: PNC is best for customers who live near a PNC Bank branch. For those consumers, PNC is a viable banking solution for those seeking a full-service bank with investing access.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg