1.10/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1015 PNC Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Last November I received a service charge with no description on my statement. After a phone conversation with no return call I visited the bank to get similar treatment. They told me the fee was due to insufficient funds in two of the three accounts. I make bi-weekly Friday direct deposits in excess of the minimum. The individual could not or would not explain why I was charged but said he would reverse it that day and call me. A week later nothing so I tried online help.

I had to look at multiple statements to figure out how PNC Fee'd me. Turns out the bank believes in a 26 day month. This happened to start on a Saturday - the day after a direct deposit, and end on a Thursday - the day before another direct deposit. I find this behavior quite odd and I'm sure a lot of people paid the fee without question. It took a lot of pushing through the online help to get the fee reversed. They absolutely didn't want to. Pay attention to your statements or online checking detail.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I’ve noticed after 5 years banking with PNC that when I have multiple transactions at a place when I get my paper statement in the mail it shows double even triple the transactions that I know were not even possible. When I call it’s hell to get them to admit and replace double charging me. So sick of them.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I applied for an auto loan online thru PNC, so I wouldnt have to go thru the dealership. I was approved and received a phone call right away to complete the loan. If I wanted to have the check overnighted, I could finish process over the phone. My husband wasn't available at the time, so she said you can go to a local branch and pick up the check. So I called ahead to the branch the next day and said we couldn't get there until 4:15 to 4:30. No problem with them. We show up and are taken straight back to one of the loan officers. She starts explaining the program, I interrupted her and told her we have already been approved just here to pick up the check. She said, "If you start the loan process online you have to finish it with them and they will mail you a check. I said, "No, I was told to do either." She said, "I can't do that, I did that once and got in trouble. You will have to have it mailed to you."

Frustrated, we got up and left, walking out the door I called PNC Corp. and spoke to the same women that told I could go there. She apologized and said, "No that lady is incorrect, I will call her. Can you go back in there." We turned around by this time it is about 4:40 pm. She kept me on hold while she called her. When she came back to me she said now she said she will do it but doesn't have time today, but could get me in tomorrow at 1. I told them had she of done it in the first place she would of had time. I had already lined up 3 car dealerships to test drive out. So needless to say I went thru the dealership. Never going thru them again for anything!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I bank at the Conamar Drive branch in Hagerstown MD. The people are efficient and nice, but there are tellers and no drive up window. I'm in my 70s and have no desire to park my car and go in when it's cold, snowing, or raining. Come on people get in the 21st century. I will soon find a new bank.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I called in regarding a reversal of payment that was made Jan 31 without any notice or further documentation. I spoke with the dispute manager on Friday regarding my issue and how this reversal of payment is affecting me paying off my rent this month. She stated she will provide provisional credit on rush on Monday, which is today so I can my bills while and Create a new claim. It all started after I was scammed by some company back in Nov, which I know nothing about. I receive bogus charges for nothing in return. Come to find I called in today for a update on my funds being credited come to find out my claim was reversed and denied. Due to the so called company has information. What info? I never signed nothing nor communicated with such company.

Show me my actual signature. I thought I’ll be taken care of. Comes to find out I get screwed by my own bank that I’ve been with for 2 yrs and I always notified when something is not right. Now I’m in a payment crisis. I’ll be taking the rest of money out of funds out of PNC accounts. No trust at all. They say they will help, turn around and lie and I have recorded. No security by this bank at all taking my money. This is BS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Online banking is completely different than the app. The security is so high if you forget one detail your account will be locked and you'll have to call. You just know your account number to access anything. Your account number is not shown in the app but it is in the online banking so if you get locked out you'll have to call. The interface is not user friendly especially for auto loan. You can't just click pay. You have to transfer money from one account to the next. Security questions are asked at every login so don't expect to quickly login and pay anything or see your account. If you are a customer it may be differently but my experience for auto loan only has been extremely upsetting. If I wasn't already locked into this loan I would give up. I would never ever bank with them.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Horrible service, horrible overdraft fines, hidden fees, extremely unhelpful customer service, I'm ashamed to be a part of them. I wish I could switch banks but I'm stuck. They make you pay for their own bank errors.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

PNC Bank credit card is one you should avoid. They advertise reward points but unlike other credit cards for their card when you spend $100 you don't get $1 back. You get 20 cents back. Also they advertise bonus reward points but do not award these to your account. You have to call and follow up and end up wasting your time.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I've been using PNC Bank for a while now and have recently hit a rough patch in my life drastically altering the amount of money I make. With that said keeping track of my money is more important than ever and I probably didn't notice this bank's dirty accounting schemes, because I didn't have to or they like to take advantage of the poor.

Problem one - let's say I have $30 in my account, no pending transactions, their virtual wallet app clearly shows that I have $30 as my main account balance. I make a $10 purchase, check my account and the money is deducted from the main account balance, instantly. Yet there is still a pending action from that transaction. Regardless, 30 - 10 = 20, yeah? So I'll go make another $10 dollar purchase, instantly deducted, a pending transaction shows, main account balance shows $10. 20 - 10 = 10, yeah? So, the next day, I wake up and I have $-10 showing as my main account balance?!?! And I'm hit with overdraft fees. They are stealing money from people because they cannot accurately keep track of transactions.

Problem two - So I got the ** of this and decided to take my money out in cash as soon as I deposited a check leaving $5 in my account to avoid it being overdrafted or shut down. They will charge me $6 for some ** bank fee causing overdraft fees to occur. Problem three - deposit a check and they say it will be cleared the next day. Next day comes around, no money in my account. I have to wait and they charge me overdraft fees.

Problem Four - deposited a check and had the ability to make it an instant deposit. Paid the instant deposit fee, the transaction wasn't instant leaving me to wait until the next day and I'm still charged for the instant transaction fee. Problem Five - I wrote a bad review of this bank on Google Play, the next day my account is shut down and I'm on the phone for 9 hrs and talk to four different people who give me three different answers. I'm forced to go into their branch office and the guy tells me my account was shut down because I haven't deposited money into my savings account for 6 months so the system automatically shuts accounts down. **, I've had an account with this bank for years and never deposited money into my savings and never had a problem. They shut my account down because I wrote a bad review.

I'm currently waiting for my account to be overdrafted because of all the issues stated above, compounded together. I am now looking into starting the process of a class action lawsuit against PNC Bank for negligence and taking advantage of people, they are stealing money from people. These are just a few of the issues I'm having with this bank, I haven't even touched upon the discrimination of cryptocurrency users.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I am upset that fees are doubled when a non PNC atm is used. My account is constantly overdrawn due to atm fees that are posted after the dates the transaction was actually made, as well as a separate fee deducted from PNC bank per transaction. I constantly feel as though my money is being taken instead of protected. I regret ever banking with PNC Bank.

PNC expert review by Barbara Friedberg

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.

• Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.

• Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.

• Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.

• Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.

• Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.

• Best for: PNC is best for customers who live near a PNC Bank branch. For those consumers, PNC is a viable banking solution for those seeking a full-service bank with investing access.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg