PNC Bank
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

PNC Bank

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 13, 2017

867 PNC Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Very clean and well-kept branches. If you reach out to call them or email them, you will get your questions answered. However, I've found TD and Vanguard are MUCH better with service/transparency. PNC will not tell you about fees, periods in which your account is considered 'inactive' or how to even set up your account. They just expect you to find out for yourself.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

My daughter has a Virtual Wallet acct thru me because she is a teenage and this is the only way PNC will allow a teen checking acct. They figure the parent will ultimately be responsible. However, when I, as the PARENT, went in to dispute a $39.95 recurring charge that my daughter had no knowledge of, I was told I could not dispute it, it had to be my daughter. I explained that she is in school until after 5 pm and I wanted this taken care of ASAP. Of course, this did not make a difference. Adding to this annoyance, when I came to my PNC branch there were no customer service people available, so they requested I make an appt for an hour later, which I did, only to be told at that time they couldn't help me. PNC sucks!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Let me tell you, do not use PNC Bank to get a HELOC. The outfit in McLean, VA does a total 'bait and switch' operation. They pull you in with a low rate and then after they've done everything, all the paperwork, credit reports, etc., they change programs on you! We had TONS of equity. We had an EXCELLENT credit rating. The 'suit' behind the desk told me that he has never missed an achievers' trip and that he was the 'best' at PNC. He tried to get us to take out a whole new mortgage even though we had already paid off more than 7/8 of our house, and only needed some CASH to finance our child's college education. When we shot that down and chose a modest HELOC instead, he changed the whole perimeters.

We had discussed ALL options beforehand and I have all the emails. It was outrageous. We didn't even write him back when we got his offer. We went back to our current bank and they honored everything they told us verbally, even after all the background paperwork was completed. It was a complete joy compared to the horrendous experience with PNC bank. This loan officer is a wolf in sheep's clothing. He is not who PNC should be touting as their "best" loan officer. If they really knew how he was jeopardizing the financial lives of their potential clients, all to line his own pockets, would they really still be rewarding him?

Maybe it's their culture? I hope not. I hope he gets the boot soon. This should have been a hidden camera investigation. Take it from me, don't be allured by the gorgeously decorated bank (think Gringots), or the over-abundant customer service (three suits asking who you're here to see), just skip PNC all together. I'm sure they have a refrigerator upstairs with bottles of champagne in them and they toast to each new idiot they close because people didn't do their homework. Go there last if you go there at all.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Today 10/27/17 I went into a local PNC Bank in Columbus to Change a Twenty for a Ten and a roll of quarters for the laundry mat. The women asked for my PNC account information. I do not have an account with PNC. I explained I just wanted change for the 20. She rudely said that bank policy says they cannot change money without an account. This is absurd. They are so clueless it's like they don't want any new customers. I went down the street to another bank. And was promptly offered change, no hassles no questions asked. I definitely will never do any business with this bank what-so-ever. I will continue to tell my experience to others to warn them of such a rude and careless bank with unfriendly customer policies.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I'VE HAD ENOUGH. This bank has given me its last overdraft of $36.00! I am switching my bank, paying off my PNC credit card and running away from this sham of an outfit. Beware of this bank, you will know when you balance your checkbook every day and it seem you just can't balance it out? One, twice, three times… The balance is never in your favor either, it’s always adjusted in the bank's favor. Goodbye PNC bank. I'm leaving. Pioneer was a honest bank but when it changed to PNC things got weird. STAY AWAY. You will lose thousands in overdraft fees. You’ve been warned!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

We recently had a hurricane on September 12, 2017 in Florida which caused the area that I live in to be shut down for 3 straight weeks with no power or Internet. Because I could not deposit any money into my personal checking account I was forced to overdraft my account. PNC Bank refused to remove the fees. I could not believe that they could stoop that low just to make a buck. They have lost my business and I now recommend to everyone out there to not use this bank. Most immoral and ethically flawed bank that I have ever been with.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I needed to open an account. The branch closest to me closed too early for me to make it, so I went to a branch downtown. At the first branch they had nobody there who could open an account so they send me to the branch that is a 10 minute walk. This was 30 minutes before they closed. Get to the second branch and they refused to help me because it was too close to closing time. They were very rude to me and said I should of been there before 4 if I wanted an account. I now will not use PNC Bank. I am mainly upset because they had me running around downtown in order to make it there with my 8 year old daughter in time.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

PNC bank recently bought my home mortgage from the Federal savings bank. I have been carrying good insurance all these years. My insurance company sent yearly evidence of carrying letter to the old bank and I have seen in their documentation. The PNC bank writes a letter stating that I have not sent the evidence and they are going to buy the insurance for me if I do not send an evidence. I faxed a copy and the insurance also sent a copy. In the meantime, the bank bought the insurance and then cancelled later. I have never received such rude letter and the bank never threatened me of buying an insurance. I have been a mortgage payer for about 30 years without a single late payments for these thirty years. I hope some other bank buys and services my mortgage.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

So I deposited my check in the ATM. 2 days later I received fee and was told my check was return. I said, "Why?" They said, "We dont know," to call the company that issued it so I called the utility company. They stated not sure why they return the check. "It's legit because when you cancelled your service you overpaid us." So I called PNC back. I said, "Please look into this. What's going on." The check was less than $10 so they said, "Oh we know it's because the check has your maiden name. And not your married name."

I said, "Ok so what's the issue?" I actually created my account with PNC bank originally with my maiden name then a year later decide to let PNC know that my name changed and I want everything to match like my ATM card to match my License for security purposes. So they never cashed the check and told me they sent a legal copy of the check to me. I didnt receive it back until 3 weeks later. I will never bank with them. I will be getting I was really stressed and disappointed. It has caused me I was a satisfied customer before this happened.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

So I joined PNC a little over a month ago due to a friend’s recommendation. Since joining I have delete with nothing but disappointment, frustration and agitation. First issue I went to create the account with they ** up then by putting in my information incorrectly, next incident I had deposited $80 and the ATM took the money and did not put it into my account or spit out a receipt. Had to deal with being on the phone with PNC for over an hour on a Saturday just to get my funds which were mines back, they filed a report and said it would all be cleared up in a week. A week later I look at my account and I am negative $100 and something dollars. Had to call PNC while at work for over an hour to get the account fixed. I asked the Rep to forward me to a manager because I was upset. Put in the request 9/28 and manager doesn't call me till 10/2/17. They definitely did not keep their 24 hour promise as their company states!!!

I decided to let it go and give them another shot, so yesterday I canceled an Uber transaction which shows up on my uber account that I was a $0 charged, so I decided to call and check my account to see my funds before paying rent and I find out my account is $11 short which of course is not much but it's the fact that they messed up on my account again so I called them once again only to be put on hold for another hour to get to a supervisor only for her to keep apologizing and trying to justify PNC screw ups.

I basically cut her off and told her the only way I would remain a customer was if they refunded me for my time and all the screw ups they have done since joining, her response was that banks don't refund customers for their time. So I kindly called her out for her lie. Told her that Navy Federal most definitely has for me before and told her I will be closing my account and making sure anyone and everyone I know does not bank with them. This bank is full of incompetent people who don't know how to do their jobs. BEWARE. ***FYI I have screenshots of all my calls to prove them including receipts and I am sure the record calls on their end as well.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

As a customer of PNC Bank for over 30 years, I entrusted them with all my accounts. After losing my job in 2015, it became necessary to withdraw money from a 401(k) held by my former employer. They deceived us and took a commission transferring my money to an IRA before distribution after assuring me there would be no early withdrawal penalty. The employee has been fired but I am out $12,000 because of their deceit. They were very unprofessional in the handling of this matter even the bank president ignored our letter to him.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I asked a PNC employee for assistance in directing me to their ATM and she began yelling me and said I didn't ask politely enough and refused to help. I never once raised my voice and was cordial and kind to this woman, and she made my day so much harder than it needed to be. I don't bank with PNC, but their ATM is the closest to my residence; I have to use it due to location convenience. If I had a car and could go anywhere else, I would. Worst customer service I've ever experienced, and I WORK in customer service. Horrible company. Seriously, ** PNC.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

After almost three decades of banking with PNC, I experienced an overdraft of my money market account when my phone provider, Verizon, failed to switch billing to another account. It was my fault, but I ignorantly thought that, with $77,000 at the bank in other accounts, prior home mortgages and auto loans with PNC (all paid in full and on time) and my many years of dealing with PNC and its predecessor banks, RBC, etc. etc., that the manager would waive the $36 fee. She, by the way, had no authority to do so, and, one week later, the branch supervisor rejected my request and told me to get it from Verizon. So, I am closing all bank accounts at PNC. I do not recommend this bank.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I have been trying to pay a mortgage late fee of $43.24. I logged into PNC Bank site (which I was forced to create a new account on pnc.com since I can longer pay through PNC Home HQ site) and attempted to make a payment for the late fee. The site would not accept a payment unless it was my mortgage payment amount or greater, so I would have to make a full mortgage payment including the late fee although my mortgage payment is automatically deducted from my checking account. I contacted customer service and was first cut off from completely expressing my troubles and was told I could be walked through the payment process.

When we finally got to the payment amount, and I was then allowed to explain I was simply trying to make a late fee payment, I was told that I could not make such payment through pnc.com but could either make a payment over the phone with a $7 transaction fee, mail a payment, or make the payment through my own bank. I have never had to jump through so many hoops in an attempt to give away my hard earned money. All I wanted to do was to make good on my late payment and pay my debt without having to go through all this trouble and speaking with agents who could care less about the inconvenience. It would be a good suggestion for the future that your customers can pay any amount while logged into their account on PNC and not have to do business with another entity. My business is with PNC and PNC only. Very disappointed in the customer service and payment options with PNC.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

The worst bank in mankind history. Don't do it. You'LL be missing money. The app is highly untrustworthy. They randomly take money out of your savings without consent. "It depends on the merchant" but every time you swipe, you check your app, the money is gone but they take more. PNC is a scam. It's terrible. The worst bank in the business. I promise.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

PNC bank claimed they help college students with saving their money and things like that if we do the virtual wallet. Personally, there is no difference with the regular checking account and virtual wallet. There was a company who took out a payment and I told them that I did not want them taking any money out of my account because they took it out the day before I told them I get paid. I called PNC because they charged me $35 for me not having any money in the account when the withdrawal occurred. That was fine because I understood that when I signed up. But what bothered me was that they turned around and charged me $36 for asking for the stop payment and then they sent me a letter and said that they were lifting the stop payment off of my account because THEY did not see that it was an issue with the people taking the money out of my account.

So not only did they charge me $36 but they kept it after they lifted the stop payment off of my account. They need to revamp this bank and their policies because to me that was unfair! How is a bank going to tell me THEY did not see an issue with a company taking money out of my account? And since it was my account I see a problem with it and they did not refund me my $36. They still kept it so I closed my account with them and I am never going back! I love credit unions. They are so much better! Everyone has different experiences but, I would not recommend PNC bank to anyone. They do not even show you when your deposit is pending when your payments are pending like they are horrible.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I been a customer with PNC more than three years. I never had any issue since recently. Most of the time I go Annandale branch. Recently, the lady name Maria ** help me to make my deposit. I don't know why she has very bad attitude. Since this bank close to my house I tried to deal with her all the time but, recently she get my nerve. I been making the same check the last three years without any problem but, this time she said she can't make deposit because she said the trade name is not on their system. After I been arguing for $53 check I made the cash deposit & left.

I call the PNC & asking to email them the trade name but, they said they already have it. Since they have I went back after a week with the same check & cash deposit. Unfortunately, the same girl wait me With same attitude. She said she can't take the check. She said she is waiting her manager to approve the trade name. I asked her, "How long?" She said, "Couple of days". I told her just put on hold & when they approve make it deposit. She refused. Even though it's their mistake not putting on their system she can't help me. I am very tired with this check & lady!! I ask a manager on duty but, she said she is a manager. I am very surprising how she become a manager!!! She is very rude, not helpful! I put my money to get this kind of service???

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

While talking with Carol ** of Mentor office she acts as the bank manager, however when asking her why one charge over 2000.00 was taken out twice she says "whatever". Well someone needs to have her find a new job. We are seriously looking to move our 4 accounts elsewhere after her treatment and her response is "whatever". Really? Is this who PNC wants to represent their company? So sad. She said we have to wait 14 days or more to fix this because it's a computer error.

Well I know a thing or two about computers, and they need a human to push the buttons on the keyboard. She then told me that all the other companies that put the charges thru are the ones at fault and that the bank does not monitor duplicate charges. Well I found a banker who told me that they work with the customer when these things happen and they don't say "**" like whatever to their customers and I will bet that PNC does not care for this practice either. Please send Carol to a management class and customer service seminars without pay!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Today I had the most unlawful experience with PNC Bank. I called earlier in the day because I was double charged for a service and the representative shut down my card without my consent and or verbally telling me. To add more insult to injury... when I called their retail escalation line they threatened me with small little threats. I'm shocked that I've been treated this way. I'm hoping this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

The mobile banking app is horrible. I was doing a mobile deposit from my Business PNC account to my Personal PNC account late one evening. I do this 2 or more times a month. The funds are always available immediately because it's a PNC to PNC transfer. I made this deposit about the time PNC came out with this "available immediate funds program." The box came up on the screen asking if I want the funds to be available immediately. My thought was sure I do, it's always available immediately. I clicked the box not knowing there was $60 fee attached to this normal function I do a couple of times a month.

I called PNC and was told that I checked the box so the fee is valid. As soon as my business slows down in the winter months, I am switching banks for my business, my personal account, savings account, and my children's accounts. The fees are OUTRAGEOUS. This is not the first time I have had fees over something stupid with PNC. This is the first time I have ever written a negative review about any business in my entire 50 years of life. PNC stinks. It's time to bank with a more modern bank with excellent customer service.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I have been a PNC customer for, oh, probably 20 years, and have watched it deteriorate so badly over the years. It used to be a pleasant and friendly experience to stop in the Monroeville office. There used to be a service kiosk as you walk in, and they took care of many items like depositing checks, and other small things to take a load off the tellers. There were lots of other little nice things. They did a remodel about a year ago --- got rid of the kiosk and cut down the teller windows to 4 --- usually only 2 or 3 of which are open. I had to deposit a check on Tuesday, August 30, and the line was so long and slow that I left. I stopped again this morning Sept. 1, and it was even worse, 14 people in a line that wasn't moving. I asked to speak to a manager. Jamella said, “Well it's a Friday before a holiday on Monday,” as if to say --- "Well what do you expect." My exact words were "I expect better".

I am 73 years old and have back and leg trouble, and I just can't wait in these long lines. There were workers in cubicles, Brett and Marc were standing around doing nothing. People all over, but 3-4 poor tellers, breaking their backs, trying to do their best to satisfy the disgruntled customers. You know, it's always the lowest workers that have the burden, that get cut when profits are down. But you can afford to spend millions on naming PNC Park, advertising a section at Heinz Field, and all the other advertising and waste, but you can't spend small potatoes on a few tellers to help customers. Well I guess you want to force your customers to go “on-line” anyhow --- so what if you lose some of us "old people". Well, it's some of us "old people", that have a lot of the assets, and you are making a good attempt to lose them --- if that's want you want.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

There were Stan withdrawals made with my card using my PIN number. I did not make these withdrawals as I was home sleep with my PNC card in my possession. But earlier that day I used an ATM at a gas station. I believe my card was cloned at that ATM. I called pnc once I notice money was missing and file a dispute on the withdrawals that were not me. They denied my dispute and told me my pin was used that the withdrawals were ruled mine. My bills, food, etc. all gone because pnc let someone take money out my account. Do not use this bank. They are frauds. They do not protect your account.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

We have been banking with PNC since 2009, we had no major problems with them until June 2016, at which time, my address was changed to an address in Miami. I caught it in time, thank God, but a manager at the call center told me that my money was about to of been transferred out. I pulled my savings out and put it in another bank. We kept the PNC checking account due to both my husband and my paychecks are direct deposited, and we also have loans that are auto withdrawal from that account. We have had no other issues since then.

So on the 11th of August we went in and applied for a credit card, to transfer a balance too. On the 12 a Bank of America account was attached to my account under the transfers options. I did not catch it until the following week. There are definitely some fraudulent people in this organization. I personally think this last incident was done by Julie. The person who handled our credit card application. I am debating legal action at this point. If anyone else has had similar issues with PNC please let me know.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Good bank, always a teller available inside and outside. There is the drive up ATM and also two drive thru teller lanes. All lanes are open when the bank is open. The bank hours are great for my schedule, and my debit card links to my checking, so I can make deposits/withdrawals, check my balance or most anything at the drive up ATM, anytime I like. Oh, and if I lose my debit card, I can have another made at a different PNC bank that's also local, while I wait! No need to wait to get it in the mail. That I find to be a very handy feature.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

My husband and I have bank here a little over a year now. We had to open the bank account due to direct deposit at work. Everything had been going fine until the last couple of months. Every week there has been an overdraft fee charged to our account. I'm not sure if the online banking can keep up with how much money is actually in our bank or what the issue may be. One minute it's fine and it says we have money and by the next morning, always a day and two before we get paid, it says we are in the negative. We called the bank to see what the problem was and why this was occurring and they blame us. We even started going to the bank every time before we spend anything and getting a receipt and it still wouldn't help. We are not happy about this at all. We are definitely switching banks and do not recommend this bank to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

In a recent review of my business accounts it was discovered that PNC Bank was incorrectly charging fees on my accounts. I brought this to the attention of the bank manager I was told that corrections would be made and no future fees would be incurred. In addition, fees already charged would be refunded. To date I have been refunded fees incurred in 2017. I am being told that no refunds would be made for 2016 because the fiscal year was already closed. My situation is being likened to a fraudulent debit card transaction that was not reported for six months which would relieve the bank of responsibility to investigate. This matter has been escalated above the regional level and we are awaiting review and resolution.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Used their new express deposit feature for the first time. My check was not cleared right away, apparently it did not go through. I got charged an overdraft fee as well as $21. I spoke to 5 different supervisors as well as managers and they refuse to credit back my account. I regret ever changing banks, I am going back to Chase. Stay away from this money hungry, scamming bank.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

They are not what they use to be. They put my money in wrong account. Has taken my name off my checking and put someone else on it. I have been with them since the 90's.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I have 3 accounts at PNC. I have been banking with them for years. I can reach customer service anytime needed in minutes. Someone compromised my debit card and they notified me within an hour of transaction I didn't make. They immediately cancelled my card and sent me a new one and took the fraudulent charge off my account.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

Initially I was happy with PNC but now I feel it is a crap bank and I wish I'd never opened an account with them. Their mobile banking app sucks and doesn't always update in real time to reflect debit card purchases. This in turn has caused overdraft fees and a negative balance because as a customer you think there is more money in the account than there really is. Per their own customer service people the app is not reliable so you have to check the full website to track all transactions ALL. THE. TIME. Mobile banking is not a new concept yet their system is completely antiquated. As soon as my transactions for bills go through I will be switching banks.

PNC expert review by Barbara Friedberg

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.

• Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.

• Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.

• Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.

• Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.

• Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.

• Best for: PNC is best for customers who live near a PNC Bank branch. For those consumers, PNC is a viable banking solution for those seeking a full-service bank with investing access.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg