PNC Bank
1.20/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

PNC Bank

Looking for a mortgage lender?

PNC Bank Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

The bank has both my retirement benefits and my social security benefits deposited into my account which is more than my previous bank and credit union did for me. It helps me to pay my bills on time.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

The Staff at our local PNC Bank are very helpful and always make us feel like valued customers. We use the bill pay app and are very happy with the ease of use and reliability. We also use their facilities for safe storage. We do use the PNC credit cards. We avoid their savings accounts because the interest is very low. Otherwise we are very pleased.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I would have given PNC some 5's but one of local branches is inconsistent with customer service and I have said as much to them. They were great when renegotiating a home equity loan I use as a line of credit. Same when we renegotiated a mortgage on one of our rental properties.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Unlike other banks I have used, PNC stands out in good customer service. I have been with them since 2012 and have no problems at all. My accounts

are up to date. And they assist you immediately you report your cards are missing. I mean I lost my packet-book in the Mall and was so upset. So, I walked into the nearest branch to report this incident. The manager came out and was so kind and compassionate, she attended to me immediately and instructed on what I should do next. They also encourage you to apply for credits if you are eligible. I check my accounts online sometimes and found no discrepancy. I have rest of mind knowing my accounts are safe. They treat you with respect and explain what offers they have for customers. I believe they are the best bank!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

PNC has the worst customer service. They give you the runaround and just steal your money. Please don't waste your time or money. When trying to get a loan or open a account they will tell you all of these superb advantages and they are all lies to get your business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

PNC can be classified as the most well known bank in the Pittsburgh, PA area. I was with them for about five years, I had some issues with them, and transferred to a new bank. I decided to give them another chance and signed up with them again in January. When I signed up in January, I was told the student virtual wallet account would be the most beneficial for me. I was only in college for another three months at the time and I didn't think it was a good idea but the woman sold me on the account so I opened one. I now learn that I need to have this account open for 6 years or I will be charged a penalty fee. I was not made aware of this at the time of opening. I was told I could change it at any time. I have learned that banks have sales goals so I guess this woman was just focused on her sales goals and not what was best for me. STRIKE ONE.

Recently, I was in the process of paying my car payment through their bill pay site. I was paying it at night so I transferred funds from my growth account into my spend, paid my bill and went to bed. The next day I realized I should have transferred the funds to my reserve account because that is where my car payment was coming from. I realized this at 11:30 that night. I quickly transferred funds and I thought I was covered. Fast forward the next day and I get hit with a $36 returned item fee. I got this taken care of, explained my situation, I got refunded my money and I thought everything was okay.

I log into my PNC account a week later and notice they tried to take my payment again a WEEK LATER. I had just transferred the funds out of the reserve account because I thought if they hadn't tried in a couple days, they were done trying. I got charged another $36 fee and this time they will not refund it. I was told it should have tried to take it out that Monday instead of Wednesday, they don't know why that happened, but they won't refund my money.

They have now not only lost me, but both my parents as customers as well. My dad has been with PNC for over 30 years and he has chosen to transfer to a local credit union that is more customer focused. Unfortunately, once these companies become so big, they are out to get their customers and not understand that mistakes do happen. My biggest issue is that they can clearly see I had the funds, they were just in the wrong account. It's not that I didn't have the money. I am officially done with PNC and I hope that more people switch and stop giving this crooked bank any more business.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

PNC Bank is not a good mortgage lender. They don't keep up with paperwork. House was foreclosed on even after the payments were caught up. Can't get in touch with them and they don't return phone calls in a timely manner. Has accepted mortgage payments that were only 4 days late and still foreclosed on my home.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Over the last 20 years, My companies on average ran $500,000/mo through this bank. Some companies are larger and others (such as the property holding company in question) have few transactions a year. Because less than 10 payments are made in a year all transactions were done online. After 9 years of no issues, this year PNC send a tax payment on the day it was supposed to have been delivered and it did not make it to the municipality until 5 days after the deadline resulting in a large penalty. I called and reported the issue to the dept in charge and they said they would take care of it. I reminded them that additional penalties would accrue if not handled by the end of the month and offered to pay the penalty while it was "being handled" to avoid further charges and was told not to do that.

Two days too late to avoid additional penalties I was informed by letter that my dispute was being closed because the municipality refused to waive the charges. I called PNC and spoke to two people who "understood" that my complaint was with the bank and not the municipality and then waited 55 minutes on the phone for a "supervisor" to finally tell me point blank they were not responsible and would do nothing since the terms and conditions of online bill pay exclude tax payments from their on time guaranty.

True I never read the terms and conditions but this goes back 9 years when I set up the account and the bank person knew what payments this company made and suggested I do everything online and did not order checks for that reason; 9 years this worked; clearly someone there was negligent in not sending the payment when requested and yet, not only do they refuse responsibility, they take 4 weeks to do so, keep me on the phone for almost an hour and end up telling me something they could have wrongfully relied upon on day one!!! and saved me from paying additional fees and penalties that they caused. I have been through several banks over the years but never have I had to leave one for reasons and circumstances as bad as this. This bank has changed and no longer deserves the business of any organization as it clearly couldn't care less about its customers.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I secured a loan through PnC a few months back for a car purchase. So far so good, we had some issues with getting a pin set up for auto payment. Long story short we figured it out and got it working. That I don’t mind. What grinds my gear is for a couple of months I had to pay by phone until then, of course I understand there is a fee with that, again don’t mind and was told and advised there would be one.

However at the end of September I was given a late notice for late fees. Now, if something is my responsibility, then I own it good or bad. My problem is when they have the information in front of them and fail to advise you of said fees when you are paying your monthly amount. Had I known, I would have paid right there and then. I don’t care if you send things in mail, you have the information in front of you, advise your customers instead of being greedy and trying to let this stuff rack up. Then when going to pay said late fees, you are trying to also get another payment multiple weeks in advance. All you cared about was collecting a payment instead of better practicing customer service. Needs better practices, no different than the National City days. Once this loan is paid, I’ll never do business with them again.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Claims department manage the requests and dispute without NEVER communicating with the customer. You call and customer service never have concrete information and always says “claims department is working on that”. I request several times to be called and give me an explanation, never happened. The bank forgot the money on the account belongs to the customer and a claim or dispute is at the end the customer money and needs. This is simple. PNC have the WORST customer service and claims department, they can’t care less. This is simple, look and the reviews and you will see what I mean.

PNC expert review by Barbara Friedberg

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.

• Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.

• Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.

• Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.

• Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.

• Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.

• Best for: PNC is best for customers who live near a PNC Bank branch. For those consumers, PNC is a viable banking solution for those seeking a full-service bank with investing access.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg