PNC Bank

PNC Bank

3.7/5 (1267 ratings)

About PNC Bank

PNC Mortgage (NMLS #446303), a part of The PNC Financial Services Group, is a full-service lender with a variety of purchase and refinance mortgage products, including conventional, VA, USDA and FHA loans. PNC has physical branches in 28 states and Washington, D.C.

PNC Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

I have had a CC with PNC for 28 years. Fraudulent charges were made on the card and subsequently, the card had to be cancelled by PNC. Promised a new card within 7 to 10 days. Never received. Called PNC and they told me they are having difficulties getting chips and plastic and now it may be up to 4-6 weeks. **???? Spoke to numerous departments and was blown off. Credit card supervisor said it was "above her paygrade" to deal with this. Asked for others within PNC and was refused. Subsequently, order a cc from Capitol One and received within 5 days. PNC is a terrible bank...stay away from them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

PNC purchased BBVA in 2021. When October 12, 2021, rolled around for the so-called merge of accounts, I could not access my account(s) and I was missing monies from one of my accounts. I went to several local PNC banks to have the issue resolved but to no avail (they are all used, car salespeople). Emailing, calling, and speaking to various individuals - Nothing came of the conversations these Customer Service Representatives act like they are going to help you and they are condescending, liars, and patronizing the customer here again to no avail. It's very disturbing and alarming that PNC purchased another financial entity but they don't have all the records.

When I made my first calls and spoke with countless people it was frustrating because they simply do not care about the customer(s) or what has/had occurred. All I encountered was being passed off to another Customer Service Representative and even received calls from “Executive Client Relations” which is just a glamorized title of a Customer Service Representative who is nothing but glaciers occupying a desk, phone, title, and space. All I hear “I’m sorry but we can not access those records.”

PNC owes me 457.00 and have not and refuse to give me the monies they stole/reallocated somewhere but has not returned my money. All my family members and friends have taken their monies and business to another banking entity after I shared what I encountered. Do not use this financial entity. They lack integrity and are just not worth anyone’s time.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

So, this is the second time that I have been charged overdraft fees without the account actually being overdrawn. They will tell you that it was overdrawn on their end, but looking at your statement, you can clearly see that there was never a time that the account was in the negative. They seem not to understand that it's important to be able to know what your balance is so that you are where of when you may need to make a deposit to cover something unexpected. The first time, they were willing to refund the fees, but not the second time around. As it was explained to me, transactions that caused my account to be overdrawn WERE and still ARE pending, but the deposits I made that is also pending but also made available right away, but didn't somehow cover the transaction; therefore, the overdraft fees are justified. I have never had a bank charge fees for transactions that aren't even posted yet. Perhaps I am the only who thinks that this is wrong.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2023

My wife and I try to open a high-yield savings account with PNC online. Got an email today stating that they are refusing to process my request. Basically denying me. Do not understand. I’m trying to put my money into their account. I’m not borrowing anything. Very frustrating. Has not got any answer from nobody. Definitely will not put my money into the bank. Look somewhere else.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2022

The bank advertises a high-yield savings account. I provided them information on their simple application and was turned down; so cannot open the account! ! Is high yield only for the rich! Stated reason: Security problem. What is that!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

PNC is not at all what I expected. We are not permitted to move more than $2,000.00 per day, or $5,000.00 per month, either in, or out of the high yield savings account using the online external transfer option. So, the only way to move larger amounts (in or out) is to send/receive wire transfers which will cost wire fees at both ends ($50.00 to $65.00 total). This means it would cost me more to move my money than the interest I earn on this savings account. There is no limit to check deposits into the account, but they will take your money out of your external account the day you deposit the check, however they will place the deposit(s) on hold for 5-7 days while PNC earns the interest during the interim period. This has become a standard banking practice with most banks and I suspect they earn hundreds of thousands of dollars every day in interest on our money while they hold it.

Lastly PNC does not offer checks on the savings account so you can't use checks to move your money back out either. The only way to move more than $2,000.00 is to wire funds. I was really hoping I could take advantage of this high yielding savings promotion, but their many restrictions are such that if I want to access my funds I have to pay for wire transfers. I was hoping to deposit a large sum ($100,000.00 +) of money into this account but clearly they don't want my business. Very unfortunate.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

Several weeks ago who used to be my SO struggling with addiction managed to steal my debit card at 430 AM and stole $200. This has been own account always!!! He also somehow managed to find a check and forged it for cash to buy drugs...I was given a provisional 200 credit, today PNC reversed the credit...I did as directed and filed a police report also...so yet again this addict gets another pass through the system, I'm violated for the 2nd time. Thank you PNC for the lack of support for those of us in domestic violence situations... it's no wonder the violence and violations continue to grow in this country!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

Is anyone having having problems with them double dipping?? When you purchase an item and it's already been deducted..then a week or 2 weeks later you're being charged for the item again..double dipping is what I call it.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

Nov 7 I was notified of a fraudulent charge on my Debit account. Good job fraud department. On Nov 8 I went to one branch to have a replacement card printed, per the instructions of the fraud department. That branch does not have a card printer. On Nov 9 I went to a different branch and while they do have a printer, it rarely if ever works. The printers are out of contract and no longer being serviced. They will order a card for me however. Three days wasted by now. Nov 23, I still do not have a card. I call and request a new card be sent. They will do so with a 3 day delivery for a cost of $25. That was not acceptable and they did end up waiving that cost.

Nov 26 I received the first card, Nov 28 I received the second card. The first is no able to be activated - with my PIN. The second has an unknown PIN as I have not received the separate mailing. After calling customer service 6 times to finally get to speak to a human being, I am being told I need to go to a branch to activate this card OR I can wait 7-10 days for a PIN to arrive in the mail. Aside from the prevention of fraudulent activity, nothing else falls under the category of "service".

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

My bank was bought out by PNC, and the experience was horrible. Although I do my banking almost exclusively through mobile (more on that soon), there were no branches near me, and initially no free-to-use ATMs nearby. The mobile app experience is horrible. It's slow, buggy, and is frequently down for days at a time. The phone support experience is even worse. I had multiple issues including deposits disappearing from my account, direct deposits not appearing at all, and incorrect account information being displayed. Each time I called in was worse than the last. I was routed through 4 departments on one call, spending over an hour on hold. The last - and final - call the bored-sounding representative told me "We can't help you". What's the purpose of having a support team, if you refuse to help your customers. I'm switching banks, and hope I can save one person from the headache I've had since PNC forced themselves upon me.

PNC author review by Ashley Eneriz

PNC bank serves individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. Their banking division has over 6 million customers across 19 states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, PNC has 2,600 branches and 9,000 ATMs, along with online and mobile services.

• Divisions: PNC Bank has the following organizational structure: retail banking, asset management, corporate & institutional banking, residential mortgage banking and Blackrock. PNC Bank owns approximately 25% of the BlackRock Investment Management Firm.

• Products and services: PNC offers the typical checking, savings, credit and debit cards as well as lending solutions. Their unique offerings include student, university and WorkPlace banking. PNC also offers investment and retirement products and a virtual wallet.

• Virtual Wallet®: This specialty offering gives customers a clear money picture and helps users control, plan and reach their financial goals. It includes a calendar and bill pay function.

• Online and mobile banking: Online or on their devices, PNC gives consumers account access, bill pay, check deposit, transfers and more services 24/7 from a tablet, phone and computer.

• Wealth management: This department offers asset management, asset protection and planning for the future. Clients can invest and plan for their financial future with personalized advisors.

• Education: PNC provides information about leading financial, budgeting, investing, lending and overall money topics with information for all of their customers from students to well-heeled investors.

by Ashley Eneriz Staff Writer

Ashley Eneriz has been a staff writer with ConsumerAffairs since 2022. She has been a personal finance writer for over a decade specializing in mortgages, loans, credit cards and budgeting. She has worked for top financial institutions, including Discover, The Hartford, ScotiaBank, Chime, Synchrony and more. Her work has been featured on Forbes, MSN, Yahoo, Reader’s Digest and Time.

PNC Bank Company Information