1.00/5
Based on 53 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a mortgage lender?

Specialized Loan Servicing

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 9, 2018

280 Specialized Loan Servicing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

SLS took over my loan from Wells Fargo in November 2017 and it's been a nightmare since. I can't believe a company can exist like this and with all complaints nothing can be done to get them out of business. I requested monthly statements from them because I'd like to see what's on my loan, but SLS refused to give me statements, saying I'd have to request it in writing and it would take up to 3 weeks, to get a statement. I sent a form, voided check and did everything what I was told and now they are saying different stuff and still not sending me statements. I tried to create an online log in, but their system denies my answers to my security questions even I know they're right.

Seems like this company purposely did everything to prevent customers to see what's going on with their payments and the loan. This company is awful! You cannot pay your mortgage online with a credit or debit card, instead you pay through Western Union and they charge you a $10 fee. Is there anything that can be done about this company?!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Very interested in Class Action Law Suit for others having the same issues. We have been in contact with SLS since December 21, 2017 to obtain a refund on our property taxes out of our escrow account. We paid the property taxes ourselves in order to claim them on our income taxes for 2017. SLS has been inadequate in how this was handled from the beginning. On Dec. 22 a new escrow analysis was ordered and we were told we would have a refund by January 18, 2018. Their staff member failed to give the correct information that we had prepaid our taxes, so a check was not generated. We called back on Jan. 12th upon receiving the new escrow analysis in the mail that contained the improper information. We were told another escrow analysis would be ordered with the pertinent information.

I called SLS again on Jan. 25th to check the status and was told the escrow team did NOT run another analysis because they had just ran one on January 2nd. Once again, the information that we had prepaid our property taxes was not conveyed. I persisted to talk to someone with more authority, was transferred to a department manager (I do have a name and teller ID# if needed) who told me he would call me back on Monday Jan. 29th. On Tuesday Jan. 30th I called since I did not get the promised callback and was told a check was generated on January 26th. As of Feb. 5th we have not received a check, so I have called SLS once again to be told, a check was generated on the 26th but that does not mean it was mailed. I talked to another department manager (again, I have the proper contact information of whom I spoke with) and was told after a check is generated it then takes 3-5 business days to be mailed.

To the best of my knowledge, the fifth business day would have been Friday, Feb. 2nd, however, this manager claims she did not have access to see if the check has in fact been mailed, a check number or any other information besides that I should receive the check within 2-3 MORE weeks. This type of practice is not professional and should not be tolerated. Under no conditions would SLS allow me to make a mortgage payment under this same time frame without paying a late fee and additional interest, however, they are doing this to the general public. I'm willing to guess that I am not alone in this situation. This is NOT the first issue we have had with this company and their practices of handling escrow accounts. I'm hoping we can join forces and do something about the way they are handling business.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I inherited this company from previous mortgage holder, Bank of America, who was already notorious for being the worst. Now it appears that SLS rivals them in obstruction, delay, and sheer incompetence. I prepaid my escrowed mortgage taxes to my town end of 2017. I've called SLS five times to get that amount from escrow reimbursed to me. Every time I'm given a 2 week period for them to analyze the escrow despite the evidence from my town that the taxes were paid by me. Now they end up sending the tax payment to my town rather than me! My town returned the double payment to them and SLS is giving me another 2 week window. There is absolutely no one at SLS to escalate this to. They give the same scripted robotic replies. I am going into month two over this ordeal. Absolutely zero accountability to the customer. Who are these people and why are they still in business?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

My mortgage was sold to SLS in March 2017. In October 2017 I received a message when I logged into my account, that the website was being “upgraded” and that I should try to log in at a later date. That was the last time that I was able to access my account. I have contacted the Helpdesk at least 3 times a week and have been told that either the website was down that day or week, that I needed to use Google Chrome, which I do. But I’ve never been offered a working solution. I think it’s a disgrace that in 2018 a mortgage servicing company cannot support their service with online customer account information. When I call the customer services representatives they do always offer the information. But as a customer I need more than telephone support. I wish my previous provider had never sold my mortgage to SLS, as this is very frustrating.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

This company is horrible. My loan was sold to them in 2015. Since 2015 I've had my payments returned. I was given the runaround for an entire year for a loan remodification. I've been having to reset my account every month for recurring pymts to be taken out of my checking acct. I continuously receive threatening letters that my account is delinquent even when it's already set up for monthly withdrawals from. I continuously receive collection phone calls asking for me to make a pymt on an acct that's set up to be automatically withdrawn each month. Every time I call I speak with a representative that tells me they see where my acct is set up for recurring pymts & they don't know why I'm receiving threatening letters & collection calls. This company is straight trash & they shouldn't be in business EVER!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Specialized Loan Servicing?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

This company is an absolute nightmare. They took over us the servicing of my mortgage in December. My first payment was OK. They informed me my homeowner's insurance and taxes increased. I received a letter stating if I sent the additional monies my payment would remain the same. The next payment amount I got had increased although I had paid the additional funds. I called the customer service center and spoke to three different people and got three different payment amount but my payment have still increased. They would not admit the mistake and refused to correct it. Companies like this should not be in business.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I called and asked about removing PMI process. Was given an address and told to write a letter and send it to that address. After a few weeks, I received a response explaining the process and an authorization form I needed to sign. Also included a fee schedule, but it wasn't specific to my property and was only in ranges. I couldn't get an exact amount I will be charged, but in order to start the process, I had to agree to the fee ranges, leaving it up to them to determine what to charge me afterward. I had no choice and signed the form. The process started in December. Mortgage company sent property inspector and later on sent me a letter on 12/18/17 stating that they have everything they need from me and the process for PMI removal will take up to 30 days.

Today is 01/24/18 (over the given timeline of 30 days), and I have not heard from them. I called today and spoke with AJ employee # **, supervisor in Arizona call center, and was told that it's still in the process and I have to wait until 02/13/18 to get an answer. He would not let me speak with anyone else nor provide information on how I can submit a complaint. He was not able to guarantee me that, if approved for PMI removal, I would be refunded the PMI I'm about to pay on 02/01/18. I was also told that even though it states in the letter that I will get an answer in 30 days, the process takes longer.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

My loan was purchased from Ameriprise/Riversource with many other loans in December of 2017 by Towd Point Mortgage Trust. SLS is the servicing company that Towd has contracted for these loans. They seem to be primarily focused on problematic borrowers and must be low cost to the owner of the loans. As an example, their automated notification when you call into the support line to tell you that the conversation will be recorded says "... this call is from a debt collector and any information obtained will be used for that purpose...". This is offensive and unnecessary.

I never received the welcome packet that Ameriprise said would be coming because SLS had the incorrect mailing address. This has caused so many problems for me. The initial account number was closed and a new account number issued in spite of my protests. I had already set the first account number in all my other banking accounts and direct deposits. That effort was lost and had to be repeated. I still do not have checks with the correct account number and mailing address. When I first asked for the checks to be reissued, they told me this was not possible because the address has to match the property address. I don't live there and lease this property to a tenant.

Their website is terrible and seems to only work on Internet Explorer. I have called their support line 23 times and spent more than 9 hours total trying to be able to see current transactions on the website. This was caused when they issued the new account number and it does not seem that their support staff have any power to fix problems like this. Three weeks ago, the CSR said they needed to submit a request to their IT department and I have not had the issue resolved or received any follow up call to understand my problem.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have having problems trying to make my mortgage payments on time for a while now but I will trying to pay this company as I can but keep returning my payments. Three times they have returned ($8,542.00) it. It's like they want me to foreclosure my house of 15 years. I called after Hurricane Irma to get a break and they didn't help me either, try to do a modification to my mortgage and after telling me it will take 2 weeks to make a decision, they just denied like in 3 days. I have never seen a company that you are trying to make a payment within the best of your possibilities and they refuse to take it. Is there another agency where I should also file a complain? They need to be out of business.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

We've been dealing with their incompetency for the past few payments. Send in our payments by mail, they claim they didn't receive them both times. Had to stop payment on the last check until it was sorted out. Yes, they do receive the payments. No, they are not competent enough to simply open the damn envelopes and process the payment. Companies like this shouldn't be allowed to stay in business.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

This company is Awful! You cannot pay your mortgage online with a credit or debit card, instead you pay through Western Union and they charge you a $10 fee. You can select an automatic ACH payment online; however you cannot deselect the ACH payment online. If you want to change your ACH online payment, you must call them and make that request over the phone. I have paid two mortgage payments to them so far and they have messed up both payments. The last payment they double debited my ACH checking account. Well the guy who answered the phone was as helpful as he could be, the company sucks! I will be refinancing my mortgage with a totally different company to get away from these folks. Not using Wells Fargo either!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

SLS took over my loan from Wells Fargo and it's been a nightmare since. I can't believe a company can exist like this in free America. I am up to date on my loan, haven't been a day late in over 3 yrs, yet they talk to me like I'm a criminal. I requested a simple statement from them because I'd like to go to a company that I'd be much more comfortable with, yet SLS refused to give me a statement, saying I'd have to request it in writing and it would take up to 3 weeks, to get a statement! Any other company would give you one by email in minutes. Furthermore they added a $650 fee to my account with no explanation. How can a company in the free world do that? I spoke to Penny there who was rude and condescending and would not help. Unbelievable.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

This is about the 6th "loan servicing" company that has purchased my loan, and like all the rest, they try to figure out any way they can to screw the customer and add on as many extra "convenience fees" and other bullshit add-ons as they can. Of course trying to contact them is almost impossible and they obviously figure that if they keep you on hold forever you will eventually give up and let them have their little fees. From what I see here, the average rating is 1 star. If I couldn't do better than that, I would quit in shame, but the mortgage industry showed us in 2008 that they have no shame! All they care about is money! I have urged every one of their employees that I have spoken with to resign and find a decent company to work for! I really think they would get more self esteem and worth working for a drug dealer!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

They should fine or restrict companies from selling our mortgage like cheap underwear. Wells Fargo transferred my mortgage to this SLS company’s which I’ve never heard of. This company’s only method of receiving payment is through Western Union. So on top of our mortgage payment we have to pay an additional fee to make a payment online is ridiculous. Their website access to documents is constantly crashing, or documents don’t load accordingly.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

SLS bought my loan from Wells Fargo earlier this year, we've had NOTHING but trouble with them. NOW this is the last straw! I gave them a partial payment of 1000.00 with a promise to pay the rest on our payday. Even got a conf. #. THEY TOOK ALL OF IT OUT!!! Overdrew my account which incurred tremendous fees. This looks bad if I want a car loan or anything else. PLEASE if you can refinance and get away from them.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

This is actually the continuation of the same problem that I have filed complaints about with CFPB and which have been responded to by the company, SLS. Unfortunately they made false statements about not charging fees and their accounting system is a mess. I am currently one month behind in my payments, yet they’ve managed to somehow calculate that I owe over $5000 (my mortgage payment is roughly 1100). They have sent me a notice of default and notice of intent to foreclose based on completely incorrect numbers.

I have bank statements just as I did the first two times which contradict their figures. Furthermore, the principal balance due has actually increased because of the way they manipulate the money. I tried to make sense of it using their website but there is no coherent statement available, and the transaction history makes absolutely no sense; it is filled with minuses and pluses that cancel each other out, transaction amounts that I had nothing to do with since I pay consistently through my bank, and notations like “Lockbox Rejects” - a system that is intentionally confusing, so much so that their employees don’t even know how to interpret it. I’ve attached a section of just 20 transactions - all taking place on the same date, as an example. I am in contract to sell and need to have this resolved immediately, and again I️ very strongly suggest this company be investigated.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

My home loan was transferred to SLS shortly after I closed on the property. Shortly after that, they raised my mortgage payment almost $700 per month because the taxes were not figured in correctly and very conveniently, the mortgage co failed to catch the mistake (and the closing agent and the rest of the attorneys involved) so initially it would appear our monthly payment was right where we could afford it to be. What a slick way to sucker a borrower in.

SLS has no program to assist a borrower in easing the payment even for a few months. They want everyone to start from scratch and fill out an entirely new loan modification application and disclose your entire personal life AGAIN, just to make any changes whatsoever. Unfortunately for SLS, if anyone is going to go through all that again, they will simply go through another loan co that actually has methods of helping those who need a small reduction in payments or deferred payments for a short time. Whatever you do, don't use this company for anything.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Our mortgage was sold to SLS (which a low class subprime mtg company) on Nov 16, 2017. We have had NOTHING but problems with them from out the gate. Trying to set up payment for our mortgage & it got canceled... FOR NO REASON!!! Then they are trying to say setting up recurring payment is a change to the account... which is a crock of BS!!! So... me being an authorized person can't set up the payment from MY checking account!!! And THEY CHARGE you $9.95 to use the payment online because it's through Western Union!!! THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN!!! They are nothing yet another subprime mortgage company & is out to screw every person they can that they hold mortgages for so they can take our homes!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

My mortgage was transferred from Wells Fargo to SLS in November 17. I didn't receive any documents from SLS with account number until Dec 4. I went online to set up account. I managed to set up account through laptop but it wouldn't allow me to make payments through my laptop computer. After numerous attempts I was finally able to make payment on their website through my cell phone but had to pay $9.95 Western Union fee to do so. In order to do so, you also have to agree to illegal yellow dog contract not to bring or participate in any class action against them. SLS isn't even an accredited company and have no respect for the laws of our country. I will be getting out of this so called mortgage service as soon as possible!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I seriously can't believe this company is still in business! The CFPB will be getting a letter stating my experience with this company as I do mortgages for a living and can't believe they're getting away with the things they do! I've tried calling 6 times prior to December 1st and have waited over an HOUR and ended up hanging up. What company doesn't offer online payment without charging a $10 or $15 fee. This unacceptable and then to receive a default notice because servicing was changed after years with another company who has my payment but they just can't seem to figure this system out. At this point, they can call me. Default on my house and they'll look like a fool in court as far as I'm concerned.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Worse service ever. These people are incompetent, understaffed, waiting time is extremely long, get routed automatically or by people to the wrong department too often. They charge fees that I never heard of and to date they have not provided me the documents where I signed agreeing to such fees. Document everything with SLS, read the fine print and prepare for a bad ride.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

How is this company still in business? I have excellent credit, never made a late payment however, my financial situation changed drastically when my HELOC loan amortized and my monthly obligation doubled overnight (my income didn't). I provided every document required for the modification and for eight months I've been given the runaround. Their customer service is terrible, their business ethics are deplorable and after reporting them to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau I haven't even received the courtesy of a letter or a phone call. I am currently seeking legal advice to pursue this matter in court. Perhaps filing a class action suit against "SLS" will assist the endless amount of families that are being bullied and ignored by this lender that does not have one positive review.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

When we got our home loan, we knew it would be sold, but we had no idea who would manage it. Well lucky us... we wound up with this joke of a company. On our very 1st payment, they cashed the check but didn't apply it to our loan, so it looks like we didn't make a payment. Getting a hold of these yoyo's is a story in itself. When you do get a hold of someone, they are untrained individuals and have no idea what's going on. I have called 5 times, faxed & mailed bank statements, cancelled checks, bank documents showing checks have cleared, and still to this day, no resolution.

We have only made 3 payments to this company and just started with them! If it is like this now, what does the future hold. When I called today, yet again, they said they would open a ticket to look into it. Gave no timeline for resolution or when someone would call us back. We're already looking into refinancing with a different bank because we are not getting sucked into this company's vortex of lousy service. They have charged us late fees monthly, and this could hurt our credit history. Frankly it's B.S. and someone needs to do something about this company's business practices. Looking online, they have a horrible reputation. We had no choice in getting stuck with this company. Our advice is if you can, steer clear!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I just went through a loan modification with this company. They are a bunch of rip off artist and liars. I had to equity line do for maturation and they said they would work to modify it and ended up ruining a great credit score and my payments. My nap thousand dollars a month into the year to go through the process and my credit was ruined.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Well just like most here BOA gave my loan to SLS. They sent a letter I was in default... making payments every month. Faxed copies from my bank. Come to find out Bank of America was putting the payment into my 2nd mortgage I had even from a different banking account. Took months BOA called. 1st thing they say was ... "We are so embarrassed". LOL. "Sorry for all the problems." I lost a week of sleep at one point, sick, shaking all the time. They even sent a letter that I asked for, for what happened.

Now, my homeowners insurance due Oct 8th, 2017. Received a letter from AAA said it was not paid. I called SLS and thought it was straighten out... nope. Been lied to saying it was overnighted last week. Even AAA called them. They were lied to. I had to pay for it myself! How can these companies get away with these tactics? One thing more, how do these employees working there live with themselves working for a horrible company and lying and treating people so poorly! AAA called me again today and said they still have not received the payment. They will call me again on Friday. How I love AAA. They are so kind and helpful! Today for the 1st time I had to take baby **. My vein in my neck was pulsing bad where my family was watching it. I felt horrible, chest pounding. They wanted to take me to the hospital. My husband had my blood pressure checked. It was 188 over 89. This ordeal is making me sick. It has never been more than 127.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I have recently been transferred to SLS as of 10/16/17. I have not received a "welcome packet" of any kind. Instead I have received a past due bill payable on 12/1/17... Today is only 10/28/17 and my November payment is not due yet. How can they do that?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

The property we have is in foreclosure. Bank of America (BOA) sold the loan to SLS in April 2017. My husband sent SLS an email requesting if we could do a mortgage modification. Got the letter saying a particular lady called 'Mary' would help us. Called today. Of course could not talk to Mary. Talked to another representative and found out that my husband is not on the loan according to the paper they got from BOA. Is it a mistake by BOA?? Then I was told that our application was denied and formal letter had just mailed.

I told her we didn't file any paperwork. She said my husband's email requesting help was considered as a hardship letter and they reviewed that email and made the decision. We hadn't submitted any application and it was denied. What a joke!!! I really wonder why they sent us letter telling us to contact them via phone or email regarding our loan. They just don't care. Now we have no choice being stuck with them. Expecting a foreclosure soon:-( Why can they be in business?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Go anywhere else for your mortgage... After Hurricane Irma we were "granted" an extension for 2 months only to get a bill two months later that said we were overdue on our mortgage. We even cancelled our auto pay at the advice of their customer service rep. We just called customer service and they informed us that our extension was denied, but we never received a letter, a phone call or any other form of communication informing us of the situation, which is usually pretty important considering a mortgage is typically what most households plan their finances around.

The customer service and supervisory department offered numerous apologies, but told us that there is nothing that they can do. We were told that our only option was a forbearance which is what I've already done unknowingly by skipping my mortgage payment for two months on my own. We will definitely be promptly refinancing through another company based on the lack of customer service that we received here. I sure miss Quicken Loans right now.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

As I've said before on this complaint site - SLS is terrible. They want all questions/concerns in writing, yet they will never give you a direct answer. There are thousands of complaints against SLS. Anyone "googling" SLS can readily find complaints across the board on them. It's shocking how this "company" still operates. Anyone who has a loan modification - or is trying to get one... please note: There is a Class Action Lawsuit that has been filed against them (finally... need to file more against these.) regarding improper mishandling of loan modifications... Will forward all info.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

My loan was transferred to SLS on July 31, 2017. However beginning mid August of the same year I began receiving phone calls regarding my July payment. I was fine with the 1st, 2nd call where I explained that the payment was made mid July to the previous company two weeks prior to SLS taking over and as a response the representative mentioned that a note will be made on my account. I also called SLS to discuss the status of my account and arranged a payment for August 28, 2017. However, on August 26, 2017 I receive another call from an SLS representative explaining that they were calling in reference to collect debt. I proceeded to explain again that the payment was made July 14, 2017 prior to SLS taking over and I expressed my concerns about continuously being contacted for a payment that was made (on time) and how it was unfair that I can be harassed for something that I have no control over.

The representative, proceeded to make excuses and to justify the calls. Within this short period of time I concluded that SLS is out to purposely ruin my credit and to make the remainder of my loan a living mess. The quality of service also made me question the legitimacy of the company. My loan originally began in 2007 with Greentree Loan Servicing and has been transferred to other companies at least 3 times and I have never experienced customer service like I have with SLS. To upper management please consider revising your procedures in regards to acquiring new loans as a result of a transfer from another company as well as spending quality time on customer service training for your representatives. I wouldn't recommend a living soul to conduct business with SLS, As of August 28, 2017.

Specialized Loan Servicing Company Information

www.sls.net

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use