1.00/5
Based on 57 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a mortgage lender?

Last updated: April 17, 2018

291 Specialized Loan Servicing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 17, 2018

Received a letter saying my loan was bought out by SLS the day my payment went to my original servicer. So I was able to contact SLS and they had me hopeful that they would get the payment once they requested it from the original servicer and not to worry I had 90 day and if it went that long then they would do some sort of investigation into the payment. I've been in contact with them every week and sometime twice a week, now knowing I'm getting the runaround. They even called me from "collections, trying to collect a debt."

I explained the situation to that person and she said she's going to put in another request to look into the payment. I had already faxed them a copy of my Proof of Payment but of course they never received it. After many tries I was able to connect with my original servicer and was told they mailed a check to them on March 13, it was signed for on March 14 by J. **. Here we are April 17, OVER A MONTH LATER and my payment HAS NOT BEEN CREDITED. If I'm able to 'Nancy Drew' this and get a check number and tracking number then what the heck have they been doing this whole time. Oh, and every time I call they want something different for me to submit.

Original review: April 16, 2018

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I was not notified by the Bank in 2016 that they were transferring my loan until one day before my payment was due. I received a letter from Specialized Loan Servicing the day before the payment was due and when I called to find out how to make the payment online (since this was not provided with the letter) I was initially told since I was refusing to make a payment they would sue me. I had to advise them I was refusing to make a payment, I had no idea who they were and had no idea who to make my payment to since I was not notified of the change.

Comments have been made to me about how they cannot believe how I got a loan in the first place because a single female should not be allowed to own a home alone. They are rude, nasty and the one time I need assistance after 13 years I am advised that since I am not a Veteran they will not help me. I was told they will just take my house away. I missed my March (first missed payment since I purchased the house in 2003) payment due to loss of a job but when I found a job a month later and tried to pay for March - they refused to take the payment because now March and April is due. They refused to allowed to make payment to caught up on my mortgage because I was told they rather sell my house.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 12, 2018

I bought my house in 1996, I have had several mortgage companies sell my mortgage to another and always have been some glitches involved, however, I have never had a mortgage company that is this inept in the whole time I have owned the house. They bought my mortgage the same day it was due in November from Wells Fargo, consequently Wells Fargo informed me they could not take my money, gave me my new loan number and contact info for SLS. I called SLS, and was informed they could not take my money because I was not set up in their system yet. Call back in two weeks. I did, and they still could not take my money because I was still not in their system. Long story short, I finally was in January, and they started calling my phone and leaving messages to call back immediately, and that this was from a collections department to collect a debt. I called, had to pay 3 mortgage payments at that point to get the calls to stop.

February the calls started in again on the 4th, and I was told that if I paid by the 4th of the month they would waive the $9.95 fee for Western Union... What kind of mortgage company only takes payments via Western Union??? This month was their website would not load, and by the time it did it stated it did not recognize my account number or information. Basically I didn't exist! Called and asked for a temp password and to reset my account. Instead got my username. Two more calls to them and finally got a temporary password to log in, only to find that you can NOT set up a date for payment unless you use Auto-Pay! Every month is a new nightmare. I have never had a mortgage company this difficult to deal with, nor this incompetent in my life! If your mortgage is sold to this company, RUN! As fast as you can to a different mortgage company. Save yourself the grief and headaches!

Original review: April 4, 2018

If you can get your home loan away from this company as soon as you can. They're a rip off company that has absolutely no direction. Everyone will tell you something different. It should be shut down for all the misleads and lies they tell. Just like Bank of America. Shut this company down. You'll one day have a lawsuit. Worst of the worst.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I am so disgusted with SLS LOAN COMPANY. They are trained thieves. Whatever it takes for them to rob from a consumer they will do it. They made a mistake with my taxes and they want me to pay for their mistake. We came to an agreement on the amount. Now they're saying it won't go into effect until next month. There's no reason why it can't go into effect now...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Specialized Loan Servicing?

Original review: April 2, 2018

I regret the day my former loan servicer transferred my loan to this company! It has been one thing after another with them. Their staff is incompetent and lack knowledge of what it is that they do! My account is in good standing with them, it has been the transfer process, questions regarding my property payment being applied, access to my online account... you name it and it is an issue. I also read that this company is not even accredited. Today 4/2/2018, I had to call customer service regarding an issue, do you know I was told that since a supervisor isn’t available that there isn’t anything they can do??

I asked if I could hold for a supervisor and was told NO. Who does that? Perhaps it is their strategy, to get people so upset that they want to refinance only to get SLS off of their mortgage as the listed provider. I’ve owned my home for going on 20 years... NEVER have I had to write a review on my mortgage company until NOW. SLS, you all need a complete RESTRUCTURING and RETRAINING of your staff!

Original review: March 29, 2018

SLS has had our loan for some time now and every piece of correspondence has different account information which makes it impossible to know what your loan number is with them. They have been claiming that they never receive our loan payments - which we are making to them - and now they are threatening to foreclose on our home. THEY ARE DISHONEST!!!

Original review: March 20, 2018

For over 1 year SLS has had my loan payment messed up. Call almost every week to get this corrected with no avail. Every month I paid my payment so they told us that we are 2 months behind which would mean there is 16 months in a year. We made 13 payments. BOA made 1 and they used the payments to pay escrow for insurance that I pay separate on my own. The contract states the only thing that is escrowed is taxes. So now there is an overage in escrow and we get letters stating they cannot give the overage back because we are 2 months behind where in fact we should be ahead if the money for the mortgage was not used for escrow.

I have never dealt with a more incompetent company in my life. We are still fighting their stupidity. So we are done. If they do not get it straight by Friday we are hiring a lawyer. No more. This gets old after while we are done wasting our time on stupid. We will let the court do it if they do not call and have this matter cleared up on Friday!!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

They are the worst Mortgage company ever to deal with, Their customer service is more than bad. You get transferred and put on hold for over 30 minutes. We went to a different Mortgage company so in the meantime after our loan was paid off, SLS owed us over $800.00 from our escrow account. They sent us $90.00 and said they used it on other expenses. We asked for an itemized list of where the money went and after over a month and many phone calls to them we still haven't received it.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

This company is a complete nightmare. Not that you have a choice of who buys your loan but they should not allowed to be in business - at least not for anyone who needs records of their transactions or for anyone who pays taxes. It is impossible to log in to their website as it is down 24x7 365 days a year. Or at least every time I've EVER tried to log in for the last 6 months. You have to spend hours calling them during their business hours only for them to tell you they will have to MAIL you documents (your statements - REALLY???) and it will take up to 14 days. Don't sign up for online/paperless services or you will never be able to see what you owe or get any financial info. They should really be closed down as they can't seem to get into this century.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I am supposed to be making my loan payments to Specialized Loan Service, starting March 1, 2018. I have been trying to call and have only got recordings... Including a recording saying I would receive a call back since Wells Fargo sold/ transferred our home loan to this company. We were supposed to receive a "welcome packet" which never happened. We received...from Wells Fargo, not Specialized Loan Service a notice with a p.o. box to mail our house payment in the future. After trying to contact this company and set-up monthly payments- I am very concerned after reading all of the complaints from other customers going through the same problem. This company needs to be investigated. They are most unprofessional and we should have a say-so in who and how our loan is serviced! I can't even find out how much money to pay or what their policy is on payments and grace periods, etc. Can anyone help with this? Very concerned!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

SLS took over my loan from Wells Fargo in November 2017 and it's been a nightmare since. I can't believe a company can exist like this and with all complaints nothing can be done to get them out of business. I requested monthly statements from them because I'd like to see what's on my loan, but SLS refused to give me statements, saying I'd have to request it in writing and it would take up to 3 weeks, to get a statement. I sent a form, voided check and did everything what I was told and now they are saying different stuff and still not sending me statements. I tried to create an online log in, but their system denies my answers to my security questions even I know they're right.

Seems like this company purposely did everything to prevent customers to see what's going on with their payments and the loan. This company is awful! You cannot pay your mortgage online with a credit or debit card, instead you pay through Western Union and they charge you a $10 fee. Is there anything that can be done about this company?!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Very interested in Class Action Law Suit for others having the same issues. We have been in contact with SLS since December 21, 2017 to obtain a refund on our property taxes out of our escrow account. We paid the property taxes ourselves in order to claim them on our income taxes for 2017. SLS has been inadequate in how this was handled from the beginning. On Dec. 22 a new escrow analysis was ordered and we were told we would have a refund by January 18, 2018. Their staff member failed to give the correct information that we had prepaid our taxes, so a check was not generated. We called back on Jan. 12th upon receiving the new escrow analysis in the mail that contained the improper information. We were told another escrow analysis would be ordered with the pertinent information.

I called SLS again on Jan. 25th to check the status and was told the escrow team did NOT run another analysis because they had just ran one on January 2nd. Once again, the information that we had prepaid our property taxes was not conveyed. I persisted to talk to someone with more authority, was transferred to a department manager (I do have a name and teller ID# if needed) who told me he would call me back on Monday Jan. 29th. On Tuesday Jan. 30th I called since I did not get the promised callback and was told a check was generated on January 26th. As of Feb. 5th we have not received a check, so I have called SLS once again to be told, a check was generated on the 26th but that does not mean it was mailed. I talked to another department manager (again, I have the proper contact information of whom I spoke with) and was told after a check is generated it then takes 3-5 business days to be mailed.

To the best of my knowledge, the fifth business day would have been Friday, Feb. 2nd, however, this manager claims she did not have access to see if the check has in fact been mailed, a check number or any other information besides that I should receive the check within 2-3 MORE weeks. This type of practice is not professional and should not be tolerated. Under no conditions would SLS allow me to make a mortgage payment under this same time frame without paying a late fee and additional interest, however, they are doing this to the general public. I'm willing to guess that I am not alone in this situation. This is NOT the first issue we have had with this company and their practices of handling escrow accounts. I'm hoping we can join forces and do something about the way they are handling business.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I inherited this company from previous mortgage holder, Bank of America, who was already notorious for being the worst. Now it appears that SLS rivals them in obstruction, delay, and sheer incompetence. I prepaid my escrowed mortgage taxes to my town end of 2017. I've called SLS five times to get that amount from escrow reimbursed to me. Every time I'm given a 2 week period for them to analyze the escrow despite the evidence from my town that the taxes were paid by me. Now they end up sending the tax payment to my town rather than me! My town returned the double payment to them and SLS is giving me another 2 week window. There is absolutely no one at SLS to escalate this to. They give the same scripted robotic replies. I am going into month two over this ordeal. Absolutely zero accountability to the customer. Who are these people and why are they still in business?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

My mortgage was sold to SLS in March 2017. In October 2017 I received a message when I logged into my account, that the website was being “upgraded” and that I should try to log in at a later date. That was the last time that I was able to access my account. I have contacted the Helpdesk at least 3 times a week and have been told that either the website was down that day or week, that I needed to use Google Chrome, which I do. But I’ve never been offered a working solution. I think it’s a disgrace that in 2018 a mortgage servicing company cannot support their service with online customer account information. When I call the customer services representatives they do always offer the information. But as a customer I need more than telephone support. I wish my previous provider had never sold my mortgage to SLS, as this is very frustrating.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

This company is horrible. My loan was sold to them in 2015. Since 2015 I've had my payments returned. I was given the runaround for an entire year for a loan remodification. I've been having to reset my account every month for recurring pymts to be taken out of my checking acct. I continuously receive threatening letters that my account is delinquent even when it's already set up for monthly withdrawals from. I continuously receive collection phone calls asking for me to make a pymt on an acct that's set up to be automatically withdrawn each month. Every time I call I speak with a representative that tells me they see where my acct is set up for recurring pymts & they don't know why I'm receiving threatening letters & collection calls. This company is straight trash & they shouldn't be in business EVER!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

This company is an absolute nightmare. They took over us the servicing of my mortgage in December. My first payment was OK. They informed me my homeowner's insurance and taxes increased. I received a letter stating if I sent the additional monies my payment would remain the same. The next payment amount I got had increased although I had paid the additional funds. I called the customer service center and spoke to three different people and got three different payment amount but my payment have still increased. They would not admit the mistake and refused to correct it. Companies like this should not be in business.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I called and asked about removing PMI process. Was given an address and told to write a letter and send it to that address. After a few weeks, I received a response explaining the process and an authorization form I needed to sign. Also included a fee schedule, but it wasn't specific to my property and was only in ranges. I couldn't get an exact amount I will be charged, but in order to start the process, I had to agree to the fee ranges, leaving it up to them to determine what to charge me afterward. I had no choice and signed the form. The process started in December. Mortgage company sent property inspector and later on sent me a letter on 12/18/17 stating that they have everything they need from me and the process for PMI removal will take up to 30 days.

Today is 01/24/18 (over the given timeline of 30 days), and I have not heard from them. I called today and spoke with AJ employee # **, supervisor in Arizona call center, and was told that it's still in the process and I have to wait until 02/13/18 to get an answer. He would not let me speak with anyone else nor provide information on how I can submit a complaint. He was not able to guarantee me that, if approved for PMI removal, I would be refunded the PMI I'm about to pay on 02/01/18. I was also told that even though it states in the letter that I will get an answer in 30 days, the process takes longer.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

My loan was purchased from Ameriprise/Riversource with many other loans in December of 2017 by Towd Point Mortgage Trust. SLS is the servicing company that Towd has contracted for these loans. They seem to be primarily focused on problematic borrowers and must be low cost to the owner of the loans. As an example, their automated notification when you call into the support line to tell you that the conversation will be recorded says "... this call is from a debt collector and any information obtained will be used for that purpose...". This is offensive and unnecessary.

I never received the welcome packet that Ameriprise said would be coming because SLS had the incorrect mailing address. This has caused so many problems for me. The initial account number was closed and a new account number issued in spite of my protests. I had already set the first account number in all my other banking accounts and direct deposits. That effort was lost and had to be repeated. I still do not have checks with the correct account number and mailing address. When I first asked for the checks to be reissued, they told me this was not possible because the address has to match the property address. I don't live there and lease this property to a tenant.

Their website is terrible and seems to only work on Internet Explorer. I have called their support line 23 times and spent more than 9 hours total trying to be able to see current transactions on the website. This was caused when they issued the new account number and it does not seem that their support staff have any power to fix problems like this. Three weeks ago, the CSR said they needed to submit a request to their IT department and I have not had the issue resolved or received any follow up call to understand my problem.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have having problems trying to make my mortgage payments on time for a while now but I will trying to pay this company as I can but keep returning my payments. Three times they have returned ($8,542.00) it. It's like they want me to foreclosure my house of 15 years. I called after Hurricane Irma to get a break and they didn't help me either, try to do a modification to my mortgage and after telling me it will take 2 weeks to make a decision, they just denied like in 3 days. I have never seen a company that you are trying to make a payment within the best of your possibilities and they refuse to take it. Is there another agency where I should also file a complain? They need to be out of business.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

We've been dealing with their incompetency for the past few payments. Send in our payments by mail, they claim they didn't receive them both times. Had to stop payment on the last check until it was sorted out. Yes, they do receive the payments. No, they are not competent enough to simply open the damn envelopes and process the payment. Companies like this shouldn't be allowed to stay in business.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

This company is Awful! You cannot pay your mortgage online with a credit or debit card, instead you pay through Western Union and they charge you a $10 fee. You can select an automatic ACH payment online; however you cannot deselect the ACH payment online. If you want to change your ACH online payment, you must call them and make that request over the phone. I have paid two mortgage payments to them so far and they have messed up both payments. The last payment they double debited my ACH checking account. Well the guy who answered the phone was as helpful as he could be, the company sucks! I will be refinancing my mortgage with a totally different company to get away from these folks. Not using Wells Fargo either!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

SLS took over my loan from Wells Fargo and it's been a nightmare since. I can't believe a company can exist like this in free America. I am up to date on my loan, haven't been a day late in over 3 yrs, yet they talk to me like I'm a criminal. I requested a simple statement from them because I'd like to go to a company that I'd be much more comfortable with, yet SLS refused to give me a statement, saying I'd have to request it in writing and it would take up to 3 weeks, to get a statement! Any other company would give you one by email in minutes. Furthermore they added a $650 fee to my account with no explanation. How can a company in the free world do that? I spoke to Penny there who was rude and condescending and would not help. Unbelievable.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

This is about the 6th "loan servicing" company that has purchased my loan, and like all the rest, they try to figure out any way they can to screw the customer and add on as many extra "convenience fees" and other bullshit add-ons as they can. Of course trying to contact them is almost impossible and they obviously figure that if they keep you on hold forever you will eventually give up and let them have their little fees. From what I see here, the average rating is 1 star. If I couldn't do better than that, I would quit in shame, but the mortgage industry showed us in 2008 that they have no shame! All they care about is money! I have urged every one of their employees that I have spoken with to resign and find a decent company to work for! I really think they would get more self esteem and worth working for a drug dealer!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

They should fine or restrict companies from selling our mortgage like cheap underwear. Wells Fargo transferred my mortgage to this SLS company’s which I’ve never heard of. This company’s only method of receiving payment is through Western Union. So on top of our mortgage payment we have to pay an additional fee to make a payment online is ridiculous. Their website access to documents is constantly crashing, or documents don’t load accordingly.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

SLS bought my loan from Wells Fargo earlier this year, we've had NOTHING but trouble with them. NOW this is the last straw! I gave them a partial payment of 1000.00 with a promise to pay the rest on our payday. Even got a conf. #. THEY TOOK ALL OF IT OUT!!! Overdrew my account which incurred tremendous fees. This looks bad if I want a car loan or anything else. PLEASE if you can refinance and get away from them.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

This is actually the continuation of the same problem that I have filed complaints about with CFPB and which have been responded to by the company, SLS. Unfortunately they made false statements about not charging fees and their accounting system is a mess. I am currently one month behind in my payments, yet they’ve managed to somehow calculate that I owe over $5000 (my mortgage payment is roughly 1100). They have sent me a notice of default and notice of intent to foreclose based on completely incorrect numbers.

I have bank statements just as I did the first two times which contradict their figures. Furthermore, the principal balance due has actually increased because of the way they manipulate the money. I tried to make sense of it using their website but there is no coherent statement available, and the transaction history makes absolutely no sense; it is filled with minuses and pluses that cancel each other out, transaction amounts that I had nothing to do with since I pay consistently through my bank, and notations like “Lockbox Rejects” - a system that is intentionally confusing, so much so that their employees don’t even know how to interpret it. I’ve attached a section of just 20 transactions - all taking place on the same date, as an example. I am in contract to sell and need to have this resolved immediately, and again I️ very strongly suggest this company be investigated.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

My home loan was transferred to SLS shortly after I closed on the property. Shortly after that, they raised my mortgage payment almost $700 per month because the taxes were not figured in correctly and very conveniently, the mortgage co failed to catch the mistake (and the closing agent and the rest of the attorneys involved) so initially it would appear our monthly payment was right where we could afford it to be. What a slick way to sucker a borrower in.

SLS has no program to assist a borrower in easing the payment even for a few months. They want everyone to start from scratch and fill out an entirely new loan modification application and disclose your entire personal life AGAIN, just to make any changes whatsoever. Unfortunately for SLS, if anyone is going to go through all that again, they will simply go through another loan co that actually has methods of helping those who need a small reduction in payments or deferred payments for a short time. Whatever you do, don't use this company for anything.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Our mortgage was sold to SLS (which a low class subprime mtg company) on Nov 16, 2017. We have had NOTHING but problems with them from out the gate. Trying to set up payment for our mortgage & it got canceled... FOR NO REASON!!! Then they are trying to say setting up recurring payment is a change to the account... which is a crock of BS!!! So... me being an authorized person can't set up the payment from MY checking account!!! And THEY CHARGE you $9.95 to use the payment online because it's through Western Union!!! THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN!!! They are nothing yet another subprime mortgage company & is out to screw every person they can that they hold mortgages for so they can take our homes!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

My mortgage was transferred from Wells Fargo to SLS in November 17. I didn't receive any documents from SLS with account number until Dec 4. I went online to set up account. I managed to set up account through laptop but it wouldn't allow me to make payments through my laptop computer. After numerous attempts I was finally able to make payment on their website through my cell phone but had to pay $9.95 Western Union fee to do so. In order to do so, you also have to agree to illegal yellow dog contract not to bring or participate in any class action against them. SLS isn't even an accredited company and have no respect for the laws of our country. I will be getting out of this so called mortgage service as soon as possible!

Specialized Loan Servicing Company Information