1.05/5
Based on 61 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a mortgage lender?

303 Specialized Loan Servicing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

On June 1st I paid my mortgage to SLS online as I usually do but paid a minimal amount thinking I was at another account site. I immediately realized what I had done and went back to the SLS site and paid an amount that would make it so I had paid a full mortgage amount. When I looked at my banking account SLS on June 4, 2018 had taken the larger amount that I paid (to balance out the first payment) and then also took a full mortgage payment out of my account.

When I called and asked how did they get into my account to take the mortgage payment (I have signed no authorization for access to my account) they stated I had made the payment - which is not so; this I can prove. They immediately offered to return the larger payment (the payment I made to balance out the first and make a full payment); they never mentioned the first payment I made and it did not come out of my account. The representative I spoke to said the payment would be mailed out June 11.

I called back when I realized I had not gotten a confirmation number or reference number for the reimbursement of my money only to be told by the SLS representative (Libby) that they do not give confirmation numbers or reference numbers for tracking interactions (this I consider a problem and a way to not acknowledge issues). What this representative did give me was the "teller" number of the first person I spoke to - number ** and information that the order was placed June 4, 2018. But this representative gave me June 12 (not 11 like the first person said) for the return of my money. June 12, 2018 not trusting the integrity of this company and especially after finding there were 782 complaints against you at the Consumer Protection Finance Bureau, I called to verify the check had been mailed out. Now I was told by a representative (Clarence) the check would not be mailed until June 15.

This transaction of theirs has cost me a ck fee because it caused an overdraft of my account. June 16, 2018 I contacted them again to ensure my money was in the mail. This time I spoke to a representative (Bella) who said the check was mailed out June 8, 2018 and if I didn't receive it soon I would probably get it in July. Mind you they accessed my bank account illegally and withdrew money from my account without authorization. I immediately asked for the supervisor (Loretta) who told me the check was mailed out June 15, 2018 from Colorado. So obviously there is also a lack of communication within the company which is horrible for a company that is supposed to be responsible for handling the transactions of ones mortgage.

June 21, 2018 and I still have not received my money. Called the company and spoke with a representative (Louis) and was told by him the system indicated a refund was??? (Did not get the term he used but let him know the term did not mean anything to me). He stated he did not see me getting my check after July!!! This is unacceptable that this company can steal from my account and nonchalantly decide to take their time in reimbursing me.

I have filed a complaint with the Consumers Financial Protection Bureau (https://www.consumerfinance.gov/) which is the agency that oversees these companies. They've had 4,320 complaints against. To see these complaints, go to https://www.consumerfinance.gov/data-research/consumer-complaints/. On the page go to Data and Research and then to Consumer Complaint Database. Once on the page that opens go to View Complaint Data in Socrata. When that page opens put Specialized Loan Servicing in the search bar and see all the complaints against them.

I have also decided to file a complaint with the Attorney General of Colorado Colorado Department of Law Consumer Protection Section, UCCC. Ralph L. Carr Colorado Judicial Center 1300 Broadway, 6th Floor Denver, CO 80203. uccc@coag.gov. Also, if you go to this website (http://www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org/) you will find additional information on them. One thing I found is the agent:

Resident/Registered Agent for Service of Process. The agent(s) listed below have been designated to accept the delivery of legal documents, such as summons, complaints, subpoenas, and orders, on behalf of the company. This contact information is for the delivery of legal documents only. Complaints against the company should be addressed directly to the company itself or to its supervising regulator(s).

License/Registration #: None Original Issue Date: 04/20/2011. Regulator: Colorado License/Registration Name: Mortgage Company Registration. Resident/Registered Agent. Company: UNITED AGENT GROUP INC. Name: Not provided. Title: Registered Agent. Address: **. Phone: **. Fax: Not provided. I suggest everyone file a complaint, submit numerous emails to them and keep the documentation and be willing to join a class action suit. When a company has this little disregard for the mortgages and finances of people they don't deserve to be in business.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Ten years ago my son took a 2nd Mortgage out on our original family home. The loan was with Country Wide. He ran into financial trouble and could not repay the $225,000 2nd loan. He filed bankruptcy, but the lien on the house remained. Country Wide sold the 2nd to BofA, they sold it to another lender, who in turn sold it to SLS. After 10 years we finally found out that SLS was holding the second and contacted them to refinance both the 1st which is $404,000 (current and held by BofA) and clear the second. SLS said there was a principal balance of $225,000 and interest of $269,000. They led us to believe they would settle for the $225,000. We got loan approval for 80% of the home value which was enough to refinance the first, give them the $225,00, and cover closing cost.

Then the games began. No, the investors would accept the $225,000 since the house was valued at $800,000. They want $365,000. Which we cannot get a loan of $769,000 on a $800,000 house. So they are threatening to start foreclosure proceedings. We have been going back and forth with them, with missed phone calls, claims of not receiving emails we have sent, our investors, blah blah blah. They are determined to take the house. They knew a month ago they were not going to settle for the $225,000. They plan to start foreclosure. In the meantime they keep recommending we sell it and give them all of the proceeds. That's a stupid suggestion. Worst loan company ever. After reading the reviews I hope there is a Class action lawsuit against this company.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I feel lost and need help. I have continuously sent documents for regarding modification. Nationstar sold to them. Received letter today. They denied a repayment plan and want to short sell or deed in lieu! I am trying to save my home after being unemployed twice. I a making the mortgage payment every month now and I am in bankruptcy. They stated I said this was not my primary residence but I never did and have live in my home for 15 years... Anybody have suggestions? I cry myself to sleep with this company and have a 16 yr old daughter and 89 yr old veteran dad they are trying to put on the street! I have sent them every month a payment and have faxed, emailed, copied and mailed everything they want!!!! Do they really want my home when I can pay? Please you have input on this horrible company contact me!

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have reached out to the CEO and COO 7 times! No response! Terrible company that doesn't care about their customers! Supervisors promise call back and never call back! Changed my mortgage terms without advising me! The worst company ever!

Original review: June 13, 2018

Loan transferred & receiving calls like I owe! Horrible! Stay away from this finance company! Mortgage was refinanced with Loan Depot. I called 4 times. Everything ok, said "oh, it's ok, it must be old". NOT to be trusted. Out to ruin your credit & collect! Unbelievable! I filed with BBB!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Specialized Loan Servicing?

Original review: June 7, 2018

Problem description: March 26, 2018 I received a letter from this law firm stating that they are representing their client Specialized Loan Servicing of an inflated debt that was charged off by the original creditor ($41,847.37). The letter also stated that I have 30 days to dispute the validity of the debt. On April 2, 2018, I mailed a certified debt validation letter to both parties that was received by this law firm on April 5, 2018 @ 11:03am EST.

Shapiro & DeNardo responded stating that they have forwarded my request to the client in which no one addressed my concerns in a timely manner (30 Days) under the Fair Debt Collection Practicing Act (i.e. 15 U.S.C.1692(g) 809 (b) and the Pennsylvania Fair Credit Extension and Uniformity Act (i.e. 73 P.S. 2270.1, et seq). After 30 days (5/5/2018) of no response of a detailed debt validation from Shapiro & DeNardo, LLC I forwarded on May 31, 2018 another certified letter for not responding to my debt validation request and an explanation of proof that the Pennsylvania Statute of Limitations has not expired.

Desired Outcome: 1. Proof that the Pennsylvania Statute of Limitations has not already expired. 2. Request that Specialized Loan Servicing, LLC (client) & Shapiro & DeNardo, LLC (Representing Law Firm) honor my complaint for Debt Validation (April 2, 2018) that they have failed to respond within the 30 day time period allowed under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. 3. In addition, I desire that both companies honor and respond to my complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau & Federal Trade Commission. Purpose of this post is to inform all other consumers to report concerns with Attorney General Office, CFPB, FTC, BBB and beyond...I am not an attorney or legal advisor, just a concerned consumer about companies like this who are allowed to conduct unfair, unjust and deceiving practices with no regard to (FDCPA) federal & state laws that regulate.

Original review: June 4, 2018

They brought the loan during bankruptcy and put us in a 40 year loan that we will die before it gets paid. Would not work with us to help fix this. Also received funds from the court and cannot show where the money went to.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Received a default notice by the SLS claiming failure to pay one month of mortgage payment. Have proof of payment since company cashed the check but the company won’t acknowledge. Customer service is not helpful just keep transferring to different departments. I am assuming this will lead to legal action. Company seems shady.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I paid taxes to Dade County (duplicate). Spoke with Dade County that gave me check # and date when SLS cashed check. I paid the taxes unaware that SLS withdrew money from me to pay also. They have kept over $2100 refunded by county after several calls I made to get reimbursed. I'm totally frustrated, they just don't send my money nor give me an answer as to when or how??? CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO PROCEED?

Original review: May 7, 2018

I had my home loan transferred to Specialized Home Services two months ago and I tried to login to their website for the first time to download current statements. When I tried to register on the website, I get a "not secure" warning on my browser and that my information may not be private!! This is a BIG concern to me and should be to other users who go on to this site. It then wanted me to download an "extension" to my browser in order to continue working within the website. Why is this necessary? Reading all these other complaints should warrant an investigation to this company. I'm looking into making a complaint to Federal regulators.

Original review: April 28, 2018

SLS takes over the loans once Wells Fargo fraudulently gets them to auction or foreclosure/liability reasons - so WF can say, "contact your new loan servicer" - title company can't get a payoff (estoppel letter) and SLS just like Wells Fargo makes promises they have no intention of keeping. WF did the same thing by not applying payments, esp if you have a lot of equity! 300K in my case - these 2 entities force you into foreclosure by not applying payments and then keep the proceeds!

I have been through it all for 8 years- 5th home, never had a problem until WF and SLS stole home of 21 years!! Stay away from both! Thieves and countless acts of fraud - don't believe a word! Read reviews on SLS, how are they still in business? 3rd party servicer (that's a new one). They are trying to foreclose on all of you by not accepting your payment! 90 days I'd too late! Or they put your payment towards unapplied, late, or other charges! Find out who owns the loan (Freddie Mac in my case) and contact them before too late. I am a real estate agent and could never imagine such blatant fraud and what's worse - these companies are getting away with it! Make your voice heard - document everything! Learn from my mistakes by believing them!!

Original review: April 26, 2018

It appears, from my experience and many others listed here, that this company is a total ripoff. Their latest trick appears to be routinely throwing away mailed-in payments so they can then charge late fees. For the love of God, someone please bring a class action lawsuit so we can sue these horrible bottom feeders out of existence. I have always mailed my payments a week before they were due and never had my payments "not received" by any other company. Now, I'm having to put stop payments on checks and pay late fees because of their incompetence, or more likely, criminal behavior.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Received a letter saying my loan was bought out by SLS the day my payment went to my original servicer. So I was able to contact SLS and they had me hopeful that they would get the payment once they requested it from the original servicer and not to worry I had 90 day and if it went that long then they would do some sort of investigation into the payment. I've been in contact with them every week and sometime twice a week, now knowing I'm getting the runaround. They even called me from "collections, trying to collect a debt."

I explained the situation to that person and she said she's going to put in another request to look into the payment. I had already faxed them a copy of my Proof of Payment but of course they never received it. After many tries I was able to connect with my original servicer and was told they mailed a check to them on March 13, it was signed for on March 14 by J. **. Here we are April 17, OVER A MONTH LATER and my payment HAS NOT BEEN CREDITED. If I'm able to 'Nancy Drew' this and get a check number and tracking number then what the heck have they been doing this whole time. Oh, and every time I call they want something different for me to submit.

Original review: April 16, 2018

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I was not notified by the Bank in 2016 that they were transferring my loan until one day before my payment was due. I received a letter from Specialized Loan Servicing the day before the payment was due and when I called to find out how to make the payment online (since this was not provided with the letter) I was initially told since I was refusing to make a payment they would sue me. I had to advise them I was refusing to make a payment, I had no idea who they were and had no idea who to make my payment to since I was not notified of the change.

Comments have been made to me about how they cannot believe how I got a loan in the first place because a single female should not be allowed to own a home alone. They are rude, nasty and the one time I need assistance after 13 years I am advised that since I am not a Veteran they will not help me. I was told they will just take my house away. I missed my March (first missed payment since I purchased the house in 2003) payment due to loss of a job but when I found a job a month later and tried to pay for March - they refused to take the payment because now March and April is due. They refused to allowed to make payment to caught up on my mortgage because I was told they rather sell my house.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I bought my house in 1996, I have had several mortgage companies sell my mortgage to another and always have been some glitches involved, however, I have never had a mortgage company that is this inept in the whole time I have owned the house. They bought my mortgage the same day it was due in November from Wells Fargo, consequently Wells Fargo informed me they could not take my money, gave me my new loan number and contact info for SLS. I called SLS, and was informed they could not take my money because I was not set up in their system yet. Call back in two weeks. I did, and they still could not take my money because I was still not in their system. Long story short, I finally was in January, and they started calling my phone and leaving messages to call back immediately, and that this was from a collections department to collect a debt. I called, had to pay 3 mortgage payments at that point to get the calls to stop.

February the calls started in again on the 4th, and I was told that if I paid by the 4th of the month they would waive the $9.95 fee for Western Union... What kind of mortgage company only takes payments via Western Union??? This month was their website would not load, and by the time it did it stated it did not recognize my account number or information. Basically I didn't exist! Called and asked for a temp password and to reset my account. Instead got my username. Two more calls to them and finally got a temporary password to log in, only to find that you can NOT set up a date for payment unless you use Auto-Pay! Every month is a new nightmare. I have never had a mortgage company this difficult to deal with, nor this incompetent in my life! If your mortgage is sold to this company, RUN! As fast as you can to a different mortgage company. Save yourself the grief and headaches!

Original review: April 4, 2018

If you can get your home loan away from this company as soon as you can. They're a rip off company that has absolutely no direction. Everyone will tell you something different. It should be shut down for all the misleads and lies they tell. Just like Bank of America. Shut this company down. You'll one day have a lawsuit. Worst of the worst.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I am so disgusted with SLS LOAN COMPANY. They are trained thieves. Whatever it takes for them to rob from a consumer they will do it. They made a mistake with my taxes and they want me to pay for their mistake. We came to an agreement on the amount. Now they're saying it won't go into effect until next month. There's no reason why it can't go into effect now...

Original review: April 2, 2018

I regret the day my former loan servicer transferred my loan to this company! It has been one thing after another with them. Their staff is incompetent and lack knowledge of what it is that they do! My account is in good standing with them, it has been the transfer process, questions regarding my property payment being applied, access to my online account... you name it and it is an issue. I also read that this company is not even accredited. Today 4/2/2018, I had to call customer service regarding an issue, do you know I was told that since a supervisor isn’t available that there isn’t anything they can do??

I asked if I could hold for a supervisor and was told NO. Who does that? Perhaps it is their strategy, to get people so upset that they want to refinance only to get SLS off of their mortgage as the listed provider. I’ve owned my home for going on 20 years... NEVER have I had to write a review on my mortgage company until NOW. SLS, you all need a complete RESTRUCTURING and RETRAINING of your staff!

Original review: March 29, 2018

SLS has had our loan for some time now and every piece of correspondence has different account information which makes it impossible to know what your loan number is with them. They have been claiming that they never receive our loan payments - which we are making to them - and now they are threatening to foreclose on our home. THEY ARE DISHONEST!!!

Original review: March 20, 2018

For over 1 year SLS has had my loan payment messed up. Call almost every week to get this corrected with no avail. Every month I paid my payment so they told us that we are 2 months behind which would mean there is 16 months in a year. We made 13 payments. BOA made 1 and they used the payments to pay escrow for insurance that I pay separate on my own. The contract states the only thing that is escrowed is taxes. So now there is an overage in escrow and we get letters stating they cannot give the overage back because we are 2 months behind where in fact we should be ahead if the money for the mortgage was not used for escrow.

I have never dealt with a more incompetent company in my life. We are still fighting their stupidity. So we are done. If they do not get it straight by Friday we are hiring a lawyer. No more. This gets old after while we are done wasting our time on stupid. We will let the court do it if they do not call and have this matter cleared up on Friday!!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

They are the worst Mortgage company ever to deal with, Their customer service is more than bad. You get transferred and put on hold for over 30 minutes. We went to a different Mortgage company so in the meantime after our loan was paid off, SLS owed us over $800.00 from our escrow account. They sent us $90.00 and said they used it on other expenses. We asked for an itemized list of where the money went and after over a month and many phone calls to them we still haven't received it.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

This company is a complete nightmare. Not that you have a choice of who buys your loan but they should not allowed to be in business - at least not for anyone who needs records of their transactions or for anyone who pays taxes. It is impossible to log in to their website as it is down 24x7 365 days a year. Or at least every time I've EVER tried to log in for the last 6 months. You have to spend hours calling them during their business hours only for them to tell you they will have to MAIL you documents (your statements - REALLY???) and it will take up to 14 days. Don't sign up for online/paperless services or you will never be able to see what you owe or get any financial info. They should really be closed down as they can't seem to get into this century.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I am supposed to be making my loan payments to Specialized Loan Service, starting March 1, 2018. I have been trying to call and have only got recordings... Including a recording saying I would receive a call back since Wells Fargo sold/ transferred our home loan to this company. We were supposed to receive a "welcome packet" which never happened. We received...from Wells Fargo, not Specialized Loan Service a notice with a p.o. box to mail our house payment in the future. After trying to contact this company and set-up monthly payments- I am very concerned after reading all of the complaints from other customers going through the same problem. This company needs to be investigated. They are most unprofessional and we should have a say-so in who and how our loan is serviced! I can't even find out how much money to pay or what their policy is on payments and grace periods, etc. Can anyone help with this? Very concerned!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

SLS took over my loan from Wells Fargo in November 2017 and it's been a nightmare since. I can't believe a company can exist like this and with all complaints nothing can be done to get them out of business. I requested monthly statements from them because I'd like to see what's on my loan, but SLS refused to give me statements, saying I'd have to request it in writing and it would take up to 3 weeks, to get a statement. I sent a form, voided check and did everything what I was told and now they are saying different stuff and still not sending me statements. I tried to create an online log in, but their system denies my answers to my security questions even I know they're right.

Seems like this company purposely did everything to prevent customers to see what's going on with their payments and the loan. This company is awful! You cannot pay your mortgage online with a credit or debit card, instead you pay through Western Union and they charge you a $10 fee. Is there anything that can be done about this company?!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Very interested in Class Action Law Suit for others having the same issues. We have been in contact with SLS since December 21, 2017 to obtain a refund on our property taxes out of our escrow account. We paid the property taxes ourselves in order to claim them on our income taxes for 2017. SLS has been inadequate in how this was handled from the beginning. On Dec. 22 a new escrow analysis was ordered and we were told we would have a refund by January 18, 2018. Their staff member failed to give the correct information that we had prepaid our taxes, so a check was not generated. We called back on Jan. 12th upon receiving the new escrow analysis in the mail that contained the improper information. We were told another escrow analysis would be ordered with the pertinent information.

I called SLS again on Jan. 25th to check the status and was told the escrow team did NOT run another analysis because they had just ran one on January 2nd. Once again, the information that we had prepaid our property taxes was not conveyed. I persisted to talk to someone with more authority, was transferred to a department manager (I do have a name and teller ID# if needed) who told me he would call me back on Monday Jan. 29th. On Tuesday Jan. 30th I called since I did not get the promised callback and was told a check was generated on January 26th. As of Feb. 5th we have not received a check, so I have called SLS once again to be told, a check was generated on the 26th but that does not mean it was mailed. I talked to another department manager (again, I have the proper contact information of whom I spoke with) and was told after a check is generated it then takes 3-5 business days to be mailed.

To the best of my knowledge, the fifth business day would have been Friday, Feb. 2nd, however, this manager claims she did not have access to see if the check has in fact been mailed, a check number or any other information besides that I should receive the check within 2-3 MORE weeks. This type of practice is not professional and should not be tolerated. Under no conditions would SLS allow me to make a mortgage payment under this same time frame without paying a late fee and additional interest, however, they are doing this to the general public. I'm willing to guess that I am not alone in this situation. This is NOT the first issue we have had with this company and their practices of handling escrow accounts. I'm hoping we can join forces and do something about the way they are handling business.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I inherited this company from previous mortgage holder, Bank of America, who was already notorious for being the worst. Now it appears that SLS rivals them in obstruction, delay, and sheer incompetence. I prepaid my escrowed mortgage taxes to my town end of 2017. I've called SLS five times to get that amount from escrow reimbursed to me. Every time I'm given a 2 week period for them to analyze the escrow despite the evidence from my town that the taxes were paid by me. Now they end up sending the tax payment to my town rather than me! My town returned the double payment to them and SLS is giving me another 2 week window. There is absolutely no one at SLS to escalate this to. They give the same scripted robotic replies. I am going into month two over this ordeal. Absolutely zero accountability to the customer. Who are these people and why are they still in business?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

My mortgage was sold to SLS in March 2017. In October 2017 I received a message when I logged into my account, that the website was being “upgraded” and that I should try to log in at a later date. That was the last time that I was able to access my account. I have contacted the Helpdesk at least 3 times a week and have been told that either the website was down that day or week, that I needed to use Google Chrome, which I do. But I’ve never been offered a working solution. I think it’s a disgrace that in 2018 a mortgage servicing company cannot support their service with online customer account information. When I call the customer services representatives they do always offer the information. But as a customer I need more than telephone support. I wish my previous provider had never sold my mortgage to SLS, as this is very frustrating.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

This company is horrible. My loan was sold to them in 2015. Since 2015 I've had my payments returned. I was given the runaround for an entire year for a loan remodification. I've been having to reset my account every month for recurring pymts to be taken out of my checking acct. I continuously receive threatening letters that my account is delinquent even when it's already set up for monthly withdrawals from. I continuously receive collection phone calls asking for me to make a pymt on an acct that's set up to be automatically withdrawn each month. Every time I call I speak with a representative that tells me they see where my acct is set up for recurring pymts & they don't know why I'm receiving threatening letters & collection calls. This company is straight trash & they shouldn't be in business EVER!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

This company is an absolute nightmare. They took over us the servicing of my mortgage in December. My first payment was OK. They informed me my homeowner's insurance and taxes increased. I received a letter stating if I sent the additional monies my payment would remain the same. The next payment amount I got had increased although I had paid the additional funds. I called the customer service center and spoke to three different people and got three different payment amount but my payment have still increased. They would not admit the mistake and refused to correct it. Companies like this should not be in business.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I called and asked about removing PMI process. Was given an address and told to write a letter and send it to that address. After a few weeks, I received a response explaining the process and an authorization form I needed to sign. Also included a fee schedule, but it wasn't specific to my property and was only in ranges. I couldn't get an exact amount I will be charged, but in order to start the process, I had to agree to the fee ranges, leaving it up to them to determine what to charge me afterward. I had no choice and signed the form. The process started in December. Mortgage company sent property inspector and later on sent me a letter on 12/18/17 stating that they have everything they need from me and the process for PMI removal will take up to 30 days.

Today is 01/24/18 (over the given timeline of 30 days), and I have not heard from them. I called today and spoke with AJ employee # **, supervisor in Arizona call center, and was told that it's still in the process and I have to wait until 02/13/18 to get an answer. He would not let me speak with anyone else nor provide information on how I can submit a complaint. He was not able to guarantee me that, if approved for PMI removal, I would be refunded the PMI I'm about to pay on 02/01/18. I was also told that even though it states in the letter that I will get an answer in 30 days, the process takes longer.

Specialized Loan Servicing Company Information