Find a Mortgages partner

PNC Mortgage

4.1/5 (713 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About PNC Mortgage

PNC is a banking service and mortgage provider. It offers its borrowers perks like interest rate discounts, cashback rewards and more. While it doesn’t operate in every state, PNC lets you manage your mortgage payments online. It does have credit score requirements for some of its loan products.

Pros

• Online mortgage management
  • Cash and points rewards
  • Rate discounts for linked payments

Cons

• Doesn’t operate in all 50 states
  • Loan terms vary based on residence

Bottom Line

PNC has an array of mortgages and other loans and offers cash and point rewards when you open an account. Some of its loans have credit requirements, but it provides some rate discounts. You can manage loans online.

Top PNC Mortgage Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Verified

My husband and I took out our mortgage in 2001, our mortgage was sold to PNC in 2006 I believe. We have never had any issues with them. The few times we have had to call, they wer...

Verified

My mortgage was sold to PNC so I did not apply with them. I make my payments on time every month so I do not have any issues with them calling me. They supply me with a statement ...

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is PNC?

PNC is a retail bank that services individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. It offers lending, cash management, investing and deposit services. It also provides asset management insights and solutions for big corporations and wealthy individuals. One of its focuses is credit for middle-market companies, but it also focuses on retail banking services and loans for individuals.

Alongside personal, auto and student loans, PNC provides several types of mortgages, mortgage refinancing, home equity loans and lines of credit. Opening an account with PNC earns you money or rewards points — and you can earn both by using its virtual wallet.

How do PNC mortgages work?

If you’re interested in getting a mortgage loan from PNC, you can get digital preapproval to determine your eligibility. Then you can get in touch with PNC by submitting a contact form or calling the home lending center to get more information. A mortgage loan officer will help you determine the most suitable loan. PNC’s mortgage options include:

• Fixed-rate
  • Adjustable-rate
  • Jumbo
  • FHA
  • VA
  • Mortgage refinancing
  • Home equity line of credit (HELOC)

After choosing a loan, you can apply by submitting your personal information (Social Security number, employer details, documents like tax and financial statements and info about other properties you own). The loan estimate takes about three days once you apply, then you’ll receive PNC’s decision and approval before closing.

PNC mortgage rates

PNC lists its mortgage interest rates on its website. It’s important for homebuyers to keep in mind that mortgage rates fluctuate, so work with your PNC representative to make sure your rate is locked in before you continue with the loan process. PNC does offer select discounts for its borrowers. If you set up automatic payments for any home equity product from a PNC checking account, you can get a 0.25% discount.

PNC mortgage FAQ

What credit score does PNC use?
PNC looks at your official FICO score. A score above 720 is considered excellent; PNC requires a score of at least 620 to qualify for a mortgage. For a conventional loan, you’ll need a score in the high 600s or 700s. Government-backed loans like FHA and VA require a score in the lower 600s.
How do I get my PNC mortgage statement?
The simplest option is to go paperless and get it online. Log in to your profile, then go to the customer service tab. Click “Manage Accounts” then “Online Statement Preferences.” Here you can turn off paper statements.
Can you pay PNC mortgages online?
Yes. You can use online banking to make mortgage payments. You can also schedule payments from a PNC deposit account or an external deposit account.
How long does it take to close with PNC?
After receiving the final approval, you can expect to wait seven to 10 days for closing.

Is PNC good for mortgages?

PNC services large corporations, small businesses, affluent individuals and regular banking clients. It provides retail banking assistance and various mortgage loans like conventional, FHA, VA and jumbo products. It also offers HELOC loans and discounts if you set up automatic payments from a PNC checking account. In some cases, you’ll need a high credit score to take PNC loans, but it does offer several mortgage options, making it ideal for many borrowers.

PNC Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

Just tried to use PNC for a HEL. They were slow in processing and follow-up, etc. and VERY conservative with their appraisal. I get it...because of the housing bust a few years ago banks are more conservative in their appraisals BUT ours came back so ridiculously low. I mean, we refinanced our house a few months ago to get a lower rate (with a different lender) and their appraisal earlier this year was $35,000 higher than what PNC just said. How can that be? Our county tax appraisal just got bumped to the higher level so even they get this market (even though I don't want the higher taxes!).

I explained to my PNC rep that I would like to challenge the appraisal and she agreed, said I should get 3 comparable properties from within 1 mile sold in the last however many days. I did so and submitted it to her. After that though she told me we didn't need to bother with the challenge since the amount I was asking for was low enough and there wouldn't be a problem using the appraisal they just did. Uh ok, I wouldn't think so but who am I to question their process? I figured she should know, so I trusted her. But, guess what ended up happening? Yep, few more weeks go by with little or no communication then I receive the "sorry we can't move forward" email due to appraisal.

I wish I would have never wasted a "hit" on my credit report for this. I just had a gut feeling it wasn't going to go well but I've been banking with PNC for 30+ years and thought it'd be easy and convenient to have the HEL with them. I will say though at the outset of the loan process, PNC seemed great. You get access to their portal, everything is uploaded, agreements signed online, etc., but then the waiting came without much else happening. I'd recommend finding another lender who is committed to working through the loan process much quicker and knows your area; especially in this market where homes seem to go quickly!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

10-22-21 PNC is NOT CLIENT FACING at all! Can't reach Corporate either regarding several issues: 1) Their C/S phone systems are incompetent & keep hanging up when I'm being a loyal customer to pay early on my HELOC. Then they want to charge for using a C/S Rep. This is bogus! 2) They, in the past (very rare 1-2 times in a decade did I miss the exact due date on the HELOC - NEVER, EVER in 15 years late on the PNC primary Mortgage, in fact, am typically a month or two - or even three ahead on that!!!!) reported me late without sending a Confirm via mail Certified so they must take it off my Credit Report, which they didn't tell me they were required to by LAW, after refusing to remove the 1-2 lates on appeal! They just want to ding my credit = nasty! Can't reach their Executive Offices! NIGHTMARES in dealing with PNC... on two loans.

3) I'd ordered the original Appraisal of my home, originated 15 years ago. They said it would take ~30 days, it's a month and 3/4 & not a sign of it yet. Calling today to track it down, yet again is over an hour of my time, I'm going to invoice them for deliberately messing me over! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Take care of your customers, else you'll have NONE! At last got a decent C/S guy Aaron #** who tried his best, despite being a 'peon' (his term). No one else would even identify themselves professionally, no less try to help! He deserves kudos!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I did a ref-fi on a first trust and an equity line. I wanted to combine the two into one loan, get a better rate and shorten the term. One of the loans was already with PNC and I do all my regular banking with them also. As with any loan, PNC had me digging through months of statements, tax forms, old and current mortgages, voluminous docs, etc. No problem. I get it. When I send them something and a month later they need it again, contending they never got it the first time. Again, I get it. I've been through enough mortgage applications and re-fi's over the years and sometimes it is infuriatingly slow and redundant but that's how it is. The sloppiness can result in your closing date being moved several times while they again request some doc you gave them weeks before. But I can still handle all this.

But what I do not appreciate is the massive holes in communication between me, my lending agent, the inside loan processor, the underwriters and everyone else involved in this. It's like they don't even talk to each other and I frequently am the conduit and have to pass on communications and information between them. Also, you've heard the term "Throw them under the bus"? PNC employees are throwing each other under there so many times they must have run out of buses.

PNC#1: "She (PNC#2) gets overwhelmed and then has a meltdown. I've asked for her to be be removed from my team".

PNC#2: "He (PNC#1) does not always have or give out the right information. I'm taking over things from here. Call me going forward".

Not kidding. These are actual quotes from actual PNC employees. And the fact is, neither of them seem to know what the ** they are doing. So if you can look past all this and just ignore this nonsense, you'll probably be fine. In addition to the information gaps I mentioned, they rarely respond to emails or texts within a day and sometimes it's several days. I cannot say Don't Use PNC Mortgage! You just have to be prepared to deal with all of the above.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I recently went through a loan process through PNC and it is the worst banking experience I ever had. The complete lack of communication, professionalism, and how things were handled was baffling and honestly blowing my mind even to this day on how bad this was. We got our closing delayed twice, the sellers almost back out, even on the day of closing, our escrow office did not get authorization to close and had to call them repeatedly (myself, the escrow officer and the agents) to get confirmation. I thought how bad the process would be and it is BAD. Please save all your stress, anxiety for something else and DO NOT use PNC Mortgage! It is the worst!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

PNC has the most incompetent and uncaring staff I have ever worked with. My mortgage was bought by PNC so I decided to refinance my mortgage to lower my rates. I started the process in November of 2020. First Chris ** took the application and charged me a $900.00 appraisal fee and $269.00 for a survey, so I'm out almost $1,200.00 right from the start. Then he needed paycheck stubs and bank statements for a whole year.

Then the loan process went to Sylvia ** who kept me going over and over the same stuff, more check stubs and bank statements, I even called her supervisor Kelly ** who kept insisting all this was normal loan processing, I know I have excellent credit and sufficient income and I have refinanced in the past so I knew this wasn't right. Six and a half months later they were still refinancing my mortgage so I called another Mortgage Company and I closed in 6 weeks and I was told I didn't need an appraisal in the first place, I have tried contacting PNC to get my money back but no luck. This company is not worth the stress and aggravation.

Original review: May 11, 2021

Worst experience dealing with mortgage servicer ever, and they only received my mortgage this month in a transfer. Awful customer service, was on the phone over 2 hours today trying to figure out how they so badly messed up my mortgage amounts. Somehow a fictitious lien has appeared on my account, even though I have proof that I've NEVER had a lien. Realizing they've messed up, instead of admitting it, they said they'd conduct a "review" — that would take over a month?? I'm so beyond frustrated with them and their incompetence. I don't understand how you mess up a mortgage transfer this badly.

Original review: April 29, 2021

It was ok mortgage. They refused to refinance my mortgage despite vastly investment assets and cash and retired (no ongoing salary) and our over 800 credit history rating. I'm very disappointed the way they behaved financially. Had no problem paying on time for the past 20 years.

Original review: April 16, 2021

We just recently completed a HELOC. We closed on Thursday and right of rescission expired Monday, which means funds should be available on Tuesday. We are still unable to get any answers On Friday. We are being told they can’t find the loan on the system. We have a contractor that we promised funds in Tuesday. No one can tell us anything. Local branch can’t even get an answer. No disclosures indicating when a HELOC can be accessed.

Original review: March 29, 2021

PNC paid my taxes late. It took 4 months for them to make the correction at which time my home was scheduled for foreclosure because of late fees that PNC did not pay. My escrow account is now incorrect and I have been overcharged $800. I have tried for 4 months to resolve the issues but the customer service department will not return phone calls. I cannot reach a manager or supervisor because they don't directly answer their phone; you can leave a message but no one calls back. I am now forced to engage an attorney and I will report PNC to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Do not allow PNC to escrow your taxes!!!

Original review: March 12, 2021

I paid off my mortgage in full. The following month, they took another payment out of my account. I have spent hours on the phone trying to get this straightened out and it is a nightmare. You would think it would be simple but I guess when you are dealing with an incompetent company it is not. Customer Service has been a nightmare since day one and I thought I was finally done with them but I'm not. Stay away, there are many other reliable and customer focused mortgage companies out there.

PNC Mortgage Company Information