2. Mortgages

PNC Mortgage

PNC Mortgage
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.02/5

PNC is a banking service and mortgage provider. It offers its borrowers perks like interest rate discounts, cashback rewards and more. While it doesn’t operate in every state, PNC lets you manage your mortgage payments online. It does have credit score requirements for some of its loan products.

BOTTOM LINE

PNC has an array of mortgages and other loans and offers cash and point rewards when you open an account. Some of its loans have credit requirements, but it provides some rate discounts. You can manage loans online.

PROS
  • Online mortgage management
  • Cash and points rewards
  • Rate discounts for linked payments
CONS
  • Doesn’t operate in all 50 states
  • Loan terms vary based on residence

Top PNC Mortgage Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

My husband and I took out our mortgage in 2001, our mortgage was sold to PNC in 2006 I believe. We have never had any issues with them. The few times we have had to call, they were very kind and welcoming. We have had no problems on our statements either…

My mortgage was sold to PNC so I did not apply with them. I make my payments on time every month so I do not have any issues with them calling me. They supply me with a statement annually and I do not see any discrepancies.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is PNC?

PNC is a retail bank that services individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. It offers lending, cash management, investing and deposit services. It also provides asset management insights and solutions for big corporations and wealthy individuals. One of its focuses is credit for middle-market companies, but it also focuses on retail banking services and loans for individuals.

Alongside personal, auto and student loans, PNC provides several types of mortgages, mortgage refinancing, home equity loans and lines of credit. Opening an account with PNC earns you money or rewards points — and you can earn both by using its virtual wallet.

How do PNC mortgages work?

If you’re interested in getting a mortgage loan from PNC, you can get digital preapproval to determine your eligibility. Then you can get in touch with PNC by submitting a contact form or calling the home lending center to get more information. A mortgage loan officer will help you determine the most suitable loan. PNC’s mortgage options include:

• Fixed-rate
    • Adjustable-rate
    • Jumbo
    • FHA
    • VA
    • Mortgage refinancing
    • Home equity line of credit (HELOC)

After choosing a loan, you can apply by submitting your personal information (Social Security number, employer details, documents like tax and financial statements and info about other properties you own). The loan estimate takes about three days once you apply, then you’ll receive PNC’s decision and approval before closing.

PNC mortgage rates

PNC lists its mortgage interest rates on its website. It’s important for homebuyers to keep in mind that mortgage rates fluctuate, so work with your PNC representative to make sure your rate is locked in before you continue with the loan process. PNC does offer select discounts for its borrowers. If you set up automatic payments for any home equity product from a PNC checking account, you can get a 0.25% discount.

PNC mortgage FAQ

What credit score does PNC use?
    PNC looks at your official FICO score. A score above 720 is considered excellent; PNC requires a score of at least 620 to qualify for a mortgage. For a conventional loan, you’ll need a score in the high 600s or 700s. Government-backed loans like FHA and VA require a score in the lower 600s.
    How do I get my PNC mortgage statement?
    The simplest option is to go paperless and get it online. Log in to your profile, then go to the customer service tab. Click “Manage Accounts” then “Online Statement Preferences.” Here you can turn off paper statements.
    Can you pay PNC mortgages online?
    Yes. You can use online banking to make mortgage payments. You can also schedule payments from a PNC deposit account or an external deposit account.
    How long does it take to close with PNC?
    After receiving the final approval, you can expect to wait seven to 10 days for closing.

Is PNC good for mortgages?

PNC services large corporations, small businesses, affluent individuals and regular banking clients. It provides retail banking assistance and various mortgage loans like conventional, FHA, VA and jumbo products. It also offers HELOC loans and discounts if you set up automatic payments from a PNC checking account. In some cases, you’ll need a high credit score to take PNC loans, but it does offer several mortgage options, making it ideal for many borrowers.

PNC Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC Mortgage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: March 29, 2021

PNC paid my taxes late. It took 4 months for them to make the correction at which time my home was scheduled for foreclosure because of late fees that PNC did not pay. My escrow account is now incorrect and I have been overcharged $800. I have tried for 4 months to resolve the issues but the customer service department will not return phone calls. I cannot reach a manager or supervisor because they don't directly answer their phone; you can leave a message but no one calls back. I am now forced to engage an attorney and I will report PNC to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Do not allow PNC to escrow your taxes!!!

Original review: March 12, 2021

I paid off my mortgage in full. The following month, they took another payment out of my account. I have spent hours on the phone trying to get this straightened out and it is a nightmare. You would think it would be simple but I guess when you are dealing with an incompetent company it is not. Customer Service has been a nightmare since day one and I thought I was finally done with them but I'm not. Stay away, there are many other reliable and customer focused mortgage companies out there.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Good service. PNC actually was very flexible and communicative about the entire house-buying process with their financial loans and lending options. They allow you to keep the same agent for all the application procedures and then when transferring to the next portion, they have both the app agent and lending agent working together until all details and explanations have been done with the customer. Would truly recommend.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

PNC Mortgage bought out my mortgage from my original mortgage company. If you don’t need any help or a response to a question, or requests for information, they are fine. But if you need information, or responses to requests for information, this is not the mortgage company for you. Very poor customer service and I would not recommend doing business with them when there are many other mortgage companies with strong customer service.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

We have had a car loan since Oct 2015. No less than 4x have they failed to withdraw automatic payments for my car loan. Which only then 2 months after the fact [in each instance] do they reach out to you with a letter saying you're in default. When you call no one seems to have an answer, or you get different answers from different people. They have strange policies, which is why it turns out my payments weren't being withdrawn on time. That are never explained to you in the first place. Probably because the employee you talk to doesn't even know.

Examples of their policies. 1] Automatic payments set up online [even for a 5 year loan] expire after a year or two. So you would think that as that date approaches the company would remind you? Nope, only once you are 2 months behind and then they will send you a default letter and report to credit history. 2] If you pay any additional money on your loan, it is applied to next month's payment, instead of coming off your principal amount. Now in their defense, maybe there is a way to have it go to principle instead of accumulating to next payment. But I've had plenty of car loans, this is the first time I have had it automatically apply to the next month.

They just don't seem to know what they are doing. When you call to rectify a situation [you better have an hour minimum] they don't seem to know what went wrong to start with and when everything is said and done, it's not!!! They don't make notes on the account so a week later when you call back [and you will have to] no one knows what is going on. I even switched my personal banking to PNC in the beginning of my loan, because I thought it would be easier. They couldn't even get that right! I mean ALL my money was in an account with them and they couldn't withdraw a payment on time. What a mess. Thank goodness I'm done with PNC in a few months.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I am a real estate agent in the Tampa Bay, FL area. Typically, I recommend that my clients use local mortgage brokers instead of big banks because the experience is leaps and bounds better. In this instance, my client was purchasing a townhome and decided she would use PNC for the mortgage, as they are who she banks with. PNC assured us that we would be able to close in a little over a month, with an original closing date of November 30, 2020. PNC began requesting all of the standard items mortgage companies request, no problem. The first problem came when they began requesting items from the client that they should have been obtaining on their own.

1. The survey for the property. For starters, this is a townhome. It does not come with land, and therefore the buyer should not need to pay for a survey. PNC did not agree. This was the first time I have ever heard of a bank requesting a survey on a home that comes with no land.

2. The HOA master insurance policy. PNC insisted that the buyer obtain this and send it to the bank. For those who do not work in the real estate industry, this is ALWAYS requested by the mortgage company, and never by the buyer. As the real estate agent in this transaction, I was luckily able to send the HOA's request website to the underwriter with a message that said "the website clearly states that only a mortgage company can request the document." They didn't bother to acknowledge this mistake.

3. The appraisal. Typically an appraisal is ordered to assure the bank that the property is worth what the buyer will be paying. Originally the underwriter told us that they felt comfortable with the purchase price, and sent a waiver stating that the buyer did not need to pay for an appraisal.

These three items caused our first delay, both of which are wholly caused by PNC. The final nail in the original closing date's coffin was that everyone at the mortgage office we are working with took off work that week for Thanksgiving. The poor buyer couldn't get ahold of a single person to find out what was going on with our closing.

Fast forward and we are now into December. PNC tells us we will likely not be able to close until December 21, 2020 -- nearly a full month after our originally scheduled closing. Why you might ask? PNC decided that they were going to need an appraisal after all. A week AFTER our scheduled November 30th closing is when they decided to change their mind on this. They did not notify us of this sudden change, we simply received a call from the appraiser who told us they had been ordered by PNC. I called the buyer to ask if she knew and she said she was not called or emailed about an appraisal.

After we missed our original deadline, it became absolutely impossible to obtain answers from PNC. The original loan officer, Sam ** had completely dropped off the face of the Earth. Only the underwriter, Rhonda ** responded when she decided she felt like it. I would send a few questions in an email to Sam and Rhonda and would be lucky to have half of one answered. They were unwilling to acknowledge their mistakes which caused several weeks worth of delays and negative consequences to the buyer. I finally had enough with the runaround and started including the underwriter's manager.

The manager responded quickly, however, even she would not acknowledge our frustrations with PNC's negligence. She would simply respond "the loan has not been fully approved yet." Nobody gave consistent loan status updates, and it felt like pulling teeth just to get vague responses. Even the title company which needs to work closely with the bank on several documents and number balancing couldn't get ahold of PNC.

At no point during this process did we feel PNC actually cared about the buyer, the deadlines, or our business. They stuck to their corporate script unwaveringly, and never once attempted to expedite the background processes after causing us several delays. The buyer has not been offered any sort of compensation for PNC's failures when at the bare minimum I would have hoped PNC would offer to waive the $500+ appraisal fee that she was told she wouldn't need.

All in all, PNC missed every deadline, seemed to know very little about their duties as a mortgage lender, and failed to maintain proper communication with all parties in the transaction. They requested documents they didn't need, asked multiple times for the same documents that they already had, and worst of all they asked the buyer for documents that only they could obtain. The only thing they were consistent with was dropping the ball and disappointing their client.

As I said before, I am a real estate agent. I have worked with just about every bank and local lender you can think of. This was my first experience with PNC, and I along with everyone else in this transaction have agreed that they have been by far the worst bank we have ever worked with. Do yourself a favor and stay away from PNC Mortgage, and definitely check out local mortgage brokers for a much better customer experience.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I am in the Army and was transferred from California to New Jersey. About a month before my move I applied for a home loan through PNC. They got all of my documents and I got a pre-approval. I made an offer on a house and moved my family across the country only for PNC to back out a week before the closing date. I am now pretty much homeless 2 weeks before Christmas. Their reasoning was because a rental property (also through them) was not claimed properly on my taxes from 2 years ago. They had my taxes for over a month. I explained that the house was my ex-wife’s that year but that I could do an amendment and could show leases and receipts from the tenant paying. They still said no. Thanks, PNC.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I bank through PNC and figured I would use their mortgage services to buy a house. The service was very poor at best. The loan officer didn't communicate, she repeatedly requested info she already had, delayed the closing date 3 weeks, and cost me an additional $1,500. I ended up not going through with PNC because of the constant delays and awful experience. They refunded me back some of the money to try and rectify the situation, but it did not even cover the additional expenses accrued. Please do not waste your time.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

Be aware. PNC takes no time in collecting mortgage payments but when it comes to reimbursement of escrow amounts once you pay off your loan they take their sweet time and make interest on your money. It has taken close to a month since my loan was paid off and I am still waiting on these bastards to refund over $3,500 in escrow they owe me.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

PNC has had my original mortgage for many years. I initially refinanced in 2015 expeditiously with no problems. It was all done locally. I started my most recent refinance process in July 2020 and just closed this month (November). I dealt directly (barely) with two PNC employees who were both in different states, one in Florida and the other in Ohio. I'm not sure where the underwriter was located but I think the title company rep was local. Believe me this was the most stressful and aggravating business process I have ever endured.

All business was conducted via email...The only time I was able to speak to a live person was when I called Customer Service and complained about not getting responses to my emails or return phone calls. Documents were asked for repeatedly. Every other week there was something else that they needed. Twice, I went to the local branch to have them fax what seemed to be a ream of paper. The local branch employees hated to see me coming I'm sure... The process took so long my credit report expired. Then there was the issue with my homeowners insurance. I have a site condo and PNC needed a statement from my management company verifying the amount of my association dues and that they were paid up to date (I had already emailed a copy of my up to date payment history from management company to them).

Only the management company puts the lot number behind the mailing address on our invoices/payment history and that became an issue with PNC. I tried to explain that each property owner was able to select their lot to build their home on and we selected lot #4 and it is not included in my legal address. PNC called my property insurance company asking questions about my mailing address and then the insurance company said they didn't insure condos.... Another problem. I told PNC I've never had a problem with insurance and that its a site condo. A single family home for which I was responsible for ALL maintenance.

Finally the insurance company had to add the #4 to my mailing address to satisfy PNC. This was not an issue in 2015. I kept receiving closing estimates via email and postal mail. A few days before closing I received a closing estimate that was higher than originally quoted. I could not get an answer as to why from any of the agents that were suppose to be helping me. I do not escrow my property taxes nor my homeowners insurance. Finally I learned the title company which is owned by PNC wanted me to pay at closing 2 months homeowners insurance payments AND my Winter property taxes. I told them my homeowners insurance is on automatic deduction from my checking account each month.

I even emailed them a copy of the statement from my insurance company verifying this. They still insisted that I pay two months premiums at closing therefore my homeowners insurance will be deducted from my checking account for Nov and Dec and I've already paid it at closing. I also told the title company that I have NOT received my winter property taxes and they aren't even mailed out until December, 2020. How do I know what the amount is going to be?? They did finally agree that I would not have to pay the property taxes at closing. None of this was and issue when I refinanced in 2015. It seems they were going after as much money as they could collect from me at closing. There was one thing after another trying to refinance. I probably would have gotten a better interest rate and customer service somewhere else. I DO NOT recommend using PNC. Communications and customer service is extremely poor.

PNC Mortgage Company Information