PNC Mortgage

PNC Mortgage

4.0/5 (708 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About PNC Mortgage

PNC is a banking service and mortgage provider. It offers its borrowers perks like interest rate discounts, cashback rewards and more. While it doesn’t operate in every state, PNC lets you manage your mortgage payments online. It does have credit score requirements for some of its loan products.

Pros

• Online mortgage management
  • Cash and points rewards
  • Rate discounts for linked payments

Cons

• Doesn’t operate in all 50 states
  • Loan terms vary based on residence

Bottom Line

PNC has an array of mortgages and other loans and offers cash and point rewards when you open an account. Some of its loans have credit requirements, but it provides some rate discounts. You can manage loans online.

Top PNC Mortgage Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Verified

My husband and I took out our mortgage in 2001, our mortgage was sold to PNC in 2006 I believe. We have never had any issues with them. The few times we have had to call, they wer...

Verified

My mortgage was sold to PNC so I did not apply with them. I make my payments on time every month so I do not have any issues with them calling me. They supply me with a statement ...

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

What is PNC?

PNC is a retail bank that services individuals, small businesses, corporations and government entities. It offers lending, cash management, investing and deposit services. It also provides asset management insights and solutions for big corporations and wealthy individuals. One of its focuses is credit for middle-market companies, but it also focuses on retail banking services and loans for individuals.

Alongside personal, auto and student loans, PNC provides several types of mortgages, mortgage refinancing, home equity loans and lines of credit. Opening an account with PNC earns you money or rewards points — and you can earn both by using its virtual wallet.

How do PNC mortgages work?

If you’re interested in getting a mortgage loan from PNC, you can get digital preapproval to determine your eligibility. Then you can get in touch with PNC by submitting a contact form or calling the home lending center to get more information. A mortgage loan officer will help you determine the most suitable loan. PNC’s mortgage options include:

• Fixed-rate
  • Adjustable-rate
  • Jumbo
  • FHA
  • VA
  • Mortgage refinancing
  • Home equity line of credit (HELOC)

After choosing a loan, you can apply by submitting your personal information (Social Security number, employer details, documents like tax and financial statements and info about other properties you own). The loan estimate takes about three days once you apply, then you’ll receive PNC’s decision and approval before closing.

PNC mortgage rates

PNC lists its mortgage interest rates on its website. It’s important for homebuyers to keep in mind that mortgage rates fluctuate, so work with your PNC representative to make sure your rate is locked in before you continue with the loan process. PNC does offer select discounts for its borrowers. If you set up automatic payments for any home equity product from a PNC checking account, you can get a 0.25% discount.

PNC mortgage FAQ

What credit score does PNC use?
PNC looks at your official FICO score. A score above 720 is considered excellent; PNC requires a score of at least 620 to qualify for a mortgage. For a conventional loan, you’ll need a score in the high 600s or 700s. Government-backed loans like FHA and VA require a score in the lower 600s.
How do I get my PNC mortgage statement?
The simplest option is to go paperless and get it online. Log in to your profile, then go to the customer service tab. Click “Manage Accounts” then “Online Statement Preferences.” Here you can turn off paper statements.
Can you pay PNC mortgages online?
Yes. You can use online banking to make mortgage payments. You can also schedule payments from a PNC deposit account or an external deposit account.
How long does it take to close with PNC?
After receiving the final approval, you can expect to wait seven to 10 days for closing.

Is PNC good for mortgages?

PNC services large corporations, small businesses, affluent individuals and regular banking clients. It provides retail banking assistance and various mortgage loans like conventional, FHA, VA and jumbo products. It also offers HELOC loans and discounts if you set up automatic payments from a PNC checking account. In some cases, you’ll need a high credit score to take PNC loans, but it does offer several mortgage options, making it ideal for many borrowers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: May 20, 2022

I have had a PNC Mortgage for many years, but have found their customer service in recent months wanting; in decline. As of about a year ago it was easy to mail in a principle only payment in-between the regular monthly mortgage payment, and see it correctly reflected in my online account a day or two later. In recent months, after mailing in a principle only payment, it would show up as a regular mortgage payment, and I would have to call in to have it corrected. This would take up to 10 days for it to then reflect properly. At one point the customer service person said I could do a transfer online. I tried that today, but it does not work. It won't allow for a payment less than the amount of the usual mortgage payment. Nowhere is there a function for principle only.

I called customer service, and the person I talked to had no clue how to do the principle payment online. She said she would transfer me to the mortgage department, but was on hold for over 20 minutes, and I hanged up. Another corporation with declining customer service - people who cannot fix the issue, online programs that do not allow for simple principle payment. PNC is not easier to bank with, they are harder to use than in the past in my experience.

Original review: April 11, 2022

PNC Bank, is the worst bank, when it comes to mortgage. We had terrible experience with them. They are very unprofessional, unresponsive, careless to their clients. We have filled the online application, and gotten pre-approval. They have checked our credit scores, and had verified, our income, and all required documentation, prior to pre-approval, our application was denied by the underwriter, for having names, they did not like. The reason for denial is the new house, "that we provided the address for", before we put a non-contingent offer on, and confirmed the "Go Ahead "with the loan officer, before we wired, our deposit, that it was in close proximity to our, current address. They did not bother to investigate, verify or discuss with us, the issue, after 4 weeks of signing our contract, they send us the denial letter.

Due to lack of timely response, from PNC, we lost our deposit of $41 K, and they wiped themselves clean, and did not care about us losing our money, due to their unresponsiveness, and their dishonesty. Had they notified us early in process, we could have tried another bank, by then we were two weeks of closing date, and could not get a loan approval on time and lost our deposit. I called the loan officer's supervisor, to discuss, he told me that, we did nothing wrong, nor lied in our application, everything matched the application, except the new house was in close proximity to the current address, and his hands are tied. When I contacted consumer affairs, the loan officer and her supervisor lied, and said "Good to Go" is not a commitment. Do not go for a Mortgage with PNC, you are going to regret dealing with them.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2022

Their online payment system is so bad that I had multiple late payments due to clicking the wrong “make a payment” button (there are multiple!) - I had to have someone walk me through how to literally just pay my mortgage. I am a millennial who took a took of online courses in college, has worked virtually for years, etc. and I couldn’t even navigate this website because of how poorly it’s designed.

Their customer service is incompetent, though they’re often kind. With ANY question I’ve had, I’ve been told something different by each person I’ve spoken to. Clearly no one knows what’s going on. Multiple representatives have input incorrect information to their system regarding my loan on multiple occasions and claim they “can’t prove this wasn’t what was discussed.” (I thought calls were recorded? Could you not check?) Also, they call from different numbers each time they’ve contacted me so I rarely know to answer. There’s also no physical location within 3 hours driving distance of me so I have to deal with phone calls.

Last issue I’ll mention is their mailing system. I have done everything in my power to request paperless mailing, but nothing works. If it were once a month or less, that’s fine! But it’s not. In fact, I would estimate that between my PNC mortgage and checking account, they send me at LEAST 5 pieces of mail per week. Multiple statements per month saying the exact same thing. Separate pieces of mail for me and my husband, despite both the loan and the bank account being joint. Honestly, if I could afford to refinance, I would do it in a heartbeat just to get away from PNC even if it meant a higher interest rate.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

Just tried to use PNC for a HEL. They were slow in processing and follow-up, etc. and VERY conservative with their appraisal. I get it...because of the housing bust a few years ago banks are more conservative in their appraisals BUT ours came back so ridiculously low. I mean, we refinanced our house a few months ago to get a lower rate (with a different lender) and their appraisal earlier this year was $35,000 higher than what PNC just said. How can that be? Our county tax appraisal just got bumped to the higher level so even they get this market (even though I don't want the higher taxes!).

I explained to my PNC rep that I would like to challenge the appraisal and she agreed, said I should get 3 comparable properties from within 1 mile sold in the last however many days. I did so and submitted it to her. After that though she told me we didn't need to bother with the challenge since the amount I was asking for was low enough and there wouldn't be a problem using the appraisal they just did. Uh ok, I wouldn't think so but who am I to question their process? I figured she should know, so I trusted her. But, guess what ended up happening? Yep, few more weeks go by with little or no communication then I receive the "sorry we can't move forward" email due to appraisal.

I wish I would have never wasted a "hit" on my credit report for this. I just had a gut feeling it wasn't going to go well but I've been banking with PNC for 30+ years and thought it'd be easy and convenient to have the HEL with them. I will say though at the outset of the loan process, PNC seemed great. You get access to their portal, everything is uploaded, agreements signed online, etc., but then the waiting came without much else happening. I'd recommend finding another lender who is committed to working through the loan process much quicker and knows your area; especially in this market where homes seem to go quickly!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

10-22-21 PNC is NOT CLIENT FACING at all! Can't reach Corporate either regarding several issues: 1) Their C/S phone systems are incompetent & keep hanging up when I'm being a loyal customer to pay early on my HELOC. Then they want to charge for using a C/S Rep. This is bogus! 2) They, in the past (very rare 1-2 times in a decade did I miss the exact due date on the HELOC - NEVER, EVER in 15 years late on the PNC primary Mortgage, in fact, am typically a month or two - or even three ahead on that!!!!) reported me late without sending a Confirm via mail Certified so they must take it off my Credit Report, which they didn't tell me they were required to by LAW, after refusing to remove the 1-2 lates on appeal! They just want to ding my credit = nasty! Can't reach their Executive Offices! NIGHTMARES in dealing with PNC... on two loans.

3) I'd ordered the original Appraisal of my home, originated 15 years ago. They said it would take ~30 days, it's a month and 3/4 & not a sign of it yet. Calling today to track it down, yet again is over an hour of my time, I'm going to invoice them for deliberately messing me over! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Take care of your customers, else you'll have NONE! At last got a decent C/S guy Aaron #** who tried his best, despite being a 'peon' (his term). No one else would even identify themselves professionally, no less try to help! He deserves kudos!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I did a ref-fi on a first trust and an equity line. I wanted to combine the two into one loan, get a better rate and shorten the term. One of the loans was already with PNC and I do all my regular banking with them also. As with any loan, PNC had me digging through months of statements, tax forms, old and current mortgages, voluminous docs, etc. No problem. I get it. When I send them something and a month later they need it again, contending they never got it the first time. Again, I get it. I've been through enough mortgage applications and re-fi's over the years and sometimes it is infuriatingly slow and redundant but that's how it is. The sloppiness can result in your closing date being moved several times while they again request some doc you gave them weeks before. But I can still handle all this.

But what I do not appreciate is the massive holes in communication between me, my lending agent, the inside loan processor, the underwriters and everyone else involved in this. It's like they don't even talk to each other and I frequently am the conduit and have to pass on communications and information between them. Also, you've heard the term "Throw them under the bus"? PNC employees are throwing each other under there so many times they must have run out of buses.

PNC#1: "She (PNC#2) gets overwhelmed and then has a meltdown. I've asked for her to be be removed from my team".

PNC#2: "He (PNC#1) does not always have or give out the right information. I'm taking over things from here. Call me going forward".

Not kidding. These are actual quotes from actual PNC employees. And the fact is, neither of them seem to know what the ** they are doing. So if you can look past all this and just ignore this nonsense, you'll probably be fine. In addition to the information gaps I mentioned, they rarely respond to emails or texts within a day and sometimes it's several days. I cannot say Don't Use PNC Mortgage! You just have to be prepared to deal with all of the above.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I recently went through a loan process through PNC and it is the worst banking experience I ever had. The complete lack of communication, professionalism, and how things were handled was baffling and honestly blowing my mind even to this day on how bad this was. We got our closing delayed twice, the sellers almost back out, even on the day of closing, our escrow office did not get authorization to close and had to call them repeatedly (myself, the escrow officer and the agents) to get confirmation. I thought how bad the process would be and it is BAD. Please save all your stress, anxiety for something else and DO NOT use PNC Mortgage! It is the worst!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

PNC has the most incompetent and uncaring staff I have ever worked with. My mortgage was bought by PNC so I decided to refinance my mortgage to lower my rates. I started the process in November of 2020. First Chris ** took the application and charged me a $900.00 appraisal fee and $269.00 for a survey, so I'm out almost $1,200.00 right from the start. Then he needed paycheck stubs and bank statements for a whole year.

Then the loan process went to Sylvia ** who kept me going over and over the same stuff, more check stubs and bank statements, I even called her supervisor Kelly ** who kept insisting all this was normal loan processing, I know I have excellent credit and sufficient income and I have refinanced in the past so I knew this wasn't right. Six and a half months later they were still refinancing my mortgage so I called another Mortgage Company and I closed in 6 weeks and I was told I didn't need an appraisal in the first place, I have tried contacting PNC to get my money back but no luck. This company is not worth the stress and aggravation.

Original review: May 11, 2021

Worst experience dealing with mortgage servicer ever, and they only received my mortgage this month in a transfer. Awful customer service, was on the phone over 2 hours today trying to figure out how they so badly messed up my mortgage amounts. Somehow a fictitious lien has appeared on my account, even though I have proof that I've NEVER had a lien. Realizing they've messed up, instead of admitting it, they said they'd conduct a "review" — that would take over a month?? I'm so beyond frustrated with them and their incompetence. I don't understand how you mess up a mortgage transfer this badly.

Original review: April 29, 2021

It was ok mortgage. They refused to refinance my mortgage despite vastly investment assets and cash and retired (no ongoing salary) and our over 800 credit history rating. I'm very disappointed the way they behaved financially. Had no problem paying on time for the past 20 years.

PNC Mortgage Company Information