1.32/5
Based on 101 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a loan company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

124 Consumer Portfolio Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

In April 2016, my minivan was flooded during the "Tax Day Flood". I was in Chpt 13 Bankruptcy, but needed to replace my vehicle. CPS the only bank that would finance me, with the Chpt 13 guidelines of getting a car loan. Yes it's a higher interest rate; Yes it's a simple interest loan; Yes if you do not pay in a timely basis, you accrue interest, even after your loan term is up. It is what it is folks. If you cannot make your loan payments on time, then you will feel like you're getting screwed, BUT you're not. The loan accrues interest on a daily basis, so you need to PAY THIS LOAN ON TIME, Consistently. If not, you will accrue interest. I do not like the high interest (near 18%), but that is the consequence of bad credit/bankruptcy. But at least I have a car. And I will pay off the loan on the "maturity date". I have my monthly payment deducted every 1st day of the month, by autopay. This is the way to pay these simple interest loans.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have had several harassing calls a day for months and emails from CPS. I am 4 months behind. I live alone and I tried to tell them I am waiting on checks from my company. I explained that I am hospitalized due to a back injury and if I could defer my payments to help at least one they said, "No. We can't help you." They stated I need to make one payment then they will change my billing cycle, how can I make a payment with no income, I'm hospitalized and do not have anyone to borrow the money.

I told them I should have it in a week. I was not able to contact them did not have access to a phone and in the hospital. They threatened to repossess vehicle I bought in 2015! I also bought the car at like $15000 and my balance is $15200 and I made monthly payments and sometimes more and 2 or 3 additional payments around income tax time but I still owe $15200. I bought it at that price. I'm not sure where my money is going. It's like I only made one payment, they are scammers and they won't help and I get harassing calls from 2 to 5 reps a day...

It's ridiculous. I'm trying to recover and after 3 years I only have 2 years left. I need my car for work. They will not explain and they are harassing me and will not help me. I want answers and I want to know where my $375 or $400 a month for 3 years has been going? I want to sue them for falsifying information, taking my money and harassing me. Please help??? I need to sue these people for taking my money and where's it going. Ridiculous! I need help and advice. These people are crooks. Thank you. Please help?

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

You call to ask a question on this company they hang up on you. You call back they hang up on you. Again they are very rude, discourteous and cannot treat a customer with respect. I call and speak to a manager. They act like they don't care and that they have no respect for customers and that they would rather treat customers like lower than dirt rather than being courteous to them.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I obtained a loan from CPS in March 2014 for a 2012 Ford Focus. The loan was in the total amount of 20455.00. I've been paying on this car for four and a half years and I thought the payoff amount would be around 9000 or less since this is a six-year loan... I was shocked to see that I still owe 19400! This means in the four and a half years I barely paid over 1K of the loan. At this rate It'll take me 30 years to pay back. Today I asked them to come take the car and I am trying to figure out how to fight them. This HAS to be illegal. How could I have only paid a little over 1K off the balance when my payments were 503.00 a month!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

This company is a ripped off company. Don't ever use this company. I bought a truck from them. Make payment for six years $587 for a $19000 total financed. I argued with them after six years for my title they told me I still owed them $11000. I told them I will seek a Lawyer, that I already paid them too much money. They came and tow my truck and hide it. I have to meet up at a restaurant parking with a person to give me my personal properties that was in the truck. They don't want me to know where my truck is. I will not recommend this company to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Portfolio Services?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Very rude customer services. Asked to file complaint. They kept calling me a female when I am a male. They won't offer a reference number for the complaint. Long story short it took them 1 month to tell the dealership and I that the loan would not get approved and I had no other options but to return the car. Know, without a car it will be tough on me to get to places or work.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I PURCHASED A 2008 TOYOTA CAMRY BACK IN JUNE 2015, WHICH THIS COMPANY FINANCED MY LOAN. I'VE NOTICED THAT A MAJORITY OF MY payments are going towards interest, with none going towards the amount I owe. At this rate I'll be stuck with this vehicle for another 3 years. Can anyone suggest what I can do to get this settled, if so please email me at **. I would really appreciate it.

Original review: July 9, 2018

In 2015 I purchased a new Hyundai Elantra. However, my credit was very poor at the time (around 517 FICO score). CPS was the only company willing to help me. My interest rate was 17%, but at least they were willing. At the time of purchase the finance office at the dealer set my payments up for the 26th of the month when I clearly told them I was paid on the 1st of the month. The only call I ever received from CPS was after the payment was not paid on the 26th. When I told them I was paid on the 1st, they moved my pay schedule to match.

For over 3 years I made on time payments (auto pay) and never heard a peep out of the company and paid off almost 9K in principal on my loan. As of last month my loan with CPS is paid in full as I traded in my Elantra for a newer vehicle. My credit is a lot better now, so I have a lower interest rate with a different finance company, but when your creditworthiness is poor only so many companies will help. CPS helped me, and I'm sure if I ever had a credit problem again I would use this company if they were willing to help me.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I do not, repeat do not work for Consumer Portfolio Services. I got approved for an auto loan while being in year 2 of a 3 year chapter 13 bankruptcy. They were the only lender I could use. I purchased a certified preowned 2015 Ford Fusion. I immediately set up auto payments for $200 every 2 weeks when my regular payment is $298. I've not been harassed nor has any of my references. If you make your payments on time and set up auto payments you won't have a problem.

All the negative reviews bash this company for overcharging them but they didn't read the paperwork. If you don't make on time payments you will pay more interest charges. In 3 months my balance went from $13850 to $13375. I simply don't understand the lunacy of people constantly paying late and missing payments all together and expect your loan to be paid off as scheduled from the contract. If all holds up I will have my loan paid off in 42 months from 72 from the contract.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I used this finance company for a auto loan after a bankruptcy to try to build my credit back. I purchased a 2008 Mustang for $10,000 with 60,000 miles on it. The 2nd time I drove the car the alternator went on it. I brought it back to dealership. They said battery was not strong enough and replaced battery. Got it home and then the next day same thing. Took it back to dealership and they replaced alternator. Then a week later lost all power while driving the car. Took it back to dealership and when they had the code reader in the engine started smoking really bad and coming through dashboard. The dealership unplugged code reader and said nothing showed up.

I contacted bank to complain about dealership they were doing business with and the bank said to take it somewhere else to get looked at. I took it to a Ford dealership and they said the car had no catalytic converter and it wasn't legally supposed to be sold with notifying me of that fact due to it being illegal to sell a car without one. I called the loan company to inform them of this and they stated they would look into it. I never heard from them again. In the mean time I had a car that was not driveable due to not being able to pass inspection due to no catalytic converter and the loan company not willing to do anything about the car being sold illegally.

Needless to say I had no choice but to voluntarily surrender the car after 1 car payment. The bank told me to surrender the car back at the dealership where I bought it from which I did. It is now 4 months later. The car is still sitting at the dealership waiting to be picked up by the finance company all while they are still charging me late payment fees and the owner of the dealership is driving the car as his daily car every day. Stay away from this bank. They do business with shady dealerships and finance lemon cars. If you need finance for bad credit use Credit Acceptance. They use real dealerships and CD cars are warranted by the finance company.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have poor credit and totaled my car. This is the only company that would give me credit. However I just realized I have paid $1,600 year to date and $1,200 has been applied to interest. My last payment was due on the 19th but I paid it late. Wow. $350 went to interest. I found this by accident, seeing if I was charged a late fee. It makes me want to cry. Reading the other reviews, I see how so many people are affected by these loan sharks.

Original review: June 25, 2018

If I pay ahead, my next required payment is less the full amount which sometimes helps me if I'm a bit behind one month. I've been ahead a few months and then lost my job so I didn't have to make a payment for months. Saved my payment history/credit score with CPS. After establishing a good payment record, I explained I had been out of work for a while and would be behind. They suggested they extend my payment date so I won't be late. I didn't even think of that. Now that is great customer service.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I strongly urge you to never use this company. They are going to rob you blind and then take your car when you have about five payments left without notifying you. We had less then perfect credit and were told that we had no other option but to go with them. The interest rates are sky high and they apply all your payments to it before the principal amount. We purchased a Nissan Sentra in 2012 for a little over 17,000. It's 2018 and we were to be finished with our payment in September roughly. Last month we woke up only to find our car gone with no notice and them saying we still owe over 11,000. Our monthly payments were that of a one bedroom apartment in a rural area. We have paid over 30,000. They are rude when you call and will not work with you for ANYTHING.

We tried moving our payment due date to mid month so that we would not be late only to find out that we had called back in and changed it back to the start of the month. Why would we have done that... We did not. They will call you nonstop. Even if you make your payment they will still call you the very next day along with everyone that you listed as a reference. It is so embarrassing. We are currently collecting all of our bank statements proving when we paid and how much.

WE know we won't get the car back and that's fine. We don't need it seeing that we bought a car outright and own it with no payments with only a fraction of the mileage but we will be seeking out the money that we have overpaid. Ride the bus, use Lyft or Uber, but don't go with these crooks. We did the math and in our area. You can rent a car for 3 weeks for less than what our payments were. Save your money and buy a used car outright. This company should not be allowed to operate.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I set up recurring payments to confirm there would be zero issues. I still have had issues since my first payment. My 1st payment was returned, but never taken out. I called twice (in worry of all reviews I've read), telling them the money hasn't been taken out. Was told, "No worries, everything's fine." A few days go by and a returned payment letter comes. What! 2nd payment was now declined. Money's there, account number is correct. If I pay with a person I get charged a 3rd party fee. Wth. Why? This isn't my mistake! I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Original review: May 17, 2018

Their customer service is garbage! Nobody knows what the next person did, so you always have to repeat things. They either lose or never get the information you send them, of it's more than once. They harass people you know when they can't reach you, even if you give them the specific times you are available. They are simply not the easiest route or logical route to go through. When I left the car lot I was told they had everything they needed, days later I'm being harassed and highly annoyed. I have set up autopay since the day I drove off so they know they will get $ yet they still are tediously calling. Gave my bank/payroll statement already but they call for it like every day! This company is just not competent, AVOID AT ALL COST.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have been dealing with this crazy car loan for about 3 years. Anytime I change payment, even if not late, they get mad. Also, I am behind so called to make arrangements to make current and 'Sheree' was super, super rude!! Asked more questions than my mortgage company does saying, "Well why can you pay the next 2 wks instead of 1 month," etc. I've had 1 person at this company treat me good. They shouldn't be in business! Next phone call I am recording!! I have several 'normal' loans and they do not treat me rude or with disrespect! No matter how bad you want a car, don't go with this crazy company!!!

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have had my car for over 2 and a half years already. Didn't have the best credit when I bought it and this was the only way I could get a vehicle. In the time I have had it I made a few late payments the first year. Harassing phone calls non stop. No late payments since and family and friends still get calls harassing them. I have also paid 36 payments of $384.99. That's $13859.64. For a $14275.34 loan. And yet after 36 payments I still owe over $9000.00!? I get there is interest to pay but even with the $5047.80 already paid in interest it should still be lower than over $9000.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I purchased my 2016 Corolla in October 2015, I went to trade it in for a newer vehicle and they tell me I owe more than what I purchased this car for... How does this happen??? This company is a rip off and now I will never get out of this loan. Even when I tried to refinance it through a different company they told me I owe 230% over what my car is worth... Something needs to be done with this company. They are taking advantage of working class citizens who work hard for their money. I am officially going to find an attorney to check into this corrupt company.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I purchased a 2013 Nissan Cube from a Nissan dealership back in 2014 for a good price. CPS was my loan provider and, for a while it appeared as if they offered great service. However, recently my car was almost repossessed by them because they reported I was 5 months behind on my payments. I challenged them on these accusations by calling out my confirmation numbers on payments that cleared my bank account from September through December. They came and took my car and upon further review, they finally admitted they routed my account to the wrong department. I only had to reinstatement fee to get my car which I do currently have right now.

They also found out the five payments I made from September through December were indeed cleared and verified. I lost my job being out without my vehicle for 2 weeks because of their gaffe. These people have shown their true illegal, illicit, and incompetent business practices to be evident. And they're not accredited by the BBB either. Plus, they were already nailed for $5.5 million in fines by the FTC for these same malpractice deeds. If there's a way I can make these scumbags eat my loan and get my bill-of-sale please let me know. CPS is truly criminal, deviant, and should be put out of business for good. They are scavengers, and their customer service is the worst I've ever dealt with. DON'T GO TO A DEALERSHIP THAT DOES BUSINESS WITH CPS! YOU WILL BE SORRY!

Original review: March 5, 2018

I bought my car in April 2016, they didn't actually make me make a payment until August 2016. It was 10 percent interest rate. After a year I decided to trade it in and when I got the pay off balance it said I owed almost as much as I financed it for with no reduction of payments. I kept the car because no one would take it as a trade in because I owe to much money on it. I tried again this weekend and I again I got the pay off and it was 1400 more than it was last year. I called and they told me I missed a payment, I told them no way because it gets deducted out of my check, they argued with me, telling me that was not true and that I missed 3 consecutive payments. I have proof through my paycheck that I did not pay late. No one will give me even close to what I owe on it (Kia Soul). I will never ever get financed through them again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

At first while making always on time payments and paying more towards the monthly payment I noticed the interest going down and more going towards the principal but then I’ve noticed the last two payments out of nowhere the interest went up tremendously after 7 months of completely on time payments. I HAVE NEVER BEEN LATE NEVER! Everything was fine the first 5 months and then this! They have been sued for doing this to people and I am already looking for an attorney. Anyone that wants to join me can let me know. I’m done with this company. I will never get out of this at this rate.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I hate this ** company. Don't get a loan through them. They take more than half your loan payment every month and pocket it. Then apply to the balance of the car loan you truly own. It's hard to refinance your car (which they don't offer of course) loan. You're several thousand over what the car is worth (I tried) and you'd have to get gap insurance which increases for car insurance monthly...to cover your car trumped up worth. You can't pay online for a current month (on same day). It has to be set up a month ahead or suffer late charges which don't reflect the same on their automatic call in service which is another $12 charge which they claim from a third party which collects and the recording will tell you they get a portion of the fee as well. Greedy...these are "loan sharks".

If you look them up online their rating is 1 star. If you read other stories about people whom have loans with them their stories are nightmares. No one praises them or has a great experience with them. If you pay by automatic services their charge is one thing. You go online it's another charge. Either way is more than what the car is worth and they will get you. Do NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE FOLKS. I PRAY THEY BURN TO THE GROUND.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

This is a looney tune operation here. They lose checks and even lost a check from my insurance adjuster. They don't return calls and love to ** you of your money. I would not know why anyone would even attempt to ask these crooks for money. They take their sweet time reporting to the credit bureaus. Please DO NOT USE THESE CRIMINALS!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I have been dealing with this company since 2014. I find them very flexible and easy to work with. I have had a situation where I changed jobs and had was able to get them to change my payment due date. When I was out of work for a whole month due to being sick they gave me a deferment. The things is if you even suspect you’re going to be late call them before the due date. If you’re having problems making a monthly payment they will accept bi-weekly.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

This company is a fraud and will ultimately wind up hurting you. I was solicited by them and provided all necessary documents and was sent a finalization and approval letter. They had me pick out a car and insure it and told the dealer they were overnighting a check. Never happened! I also had sold my used car (after I was told I was approved). Out of nowhere I was told I was turned down for lack of proof of address! The home is on my credit report and I supplied a utility bill that they verified!!! I was left with no car and they refused to take my calls or call me back after numerous messages. STAY AWAY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Just look at all of the other reviews.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I just purchased a car from LAcarGuy one week ago. CPS called all my references yesterday which I don't have a problem. The issue I'm having is that I have drove off the lot with this car and now they're coming up with some ** saying they can't finance my car now. What kind of company is this running. I called the dealership with the information I'm getting from CPS and they are telling me the that CPS hasn't told them that and if so they have another finance company for a back up but it's all a **.

When we was going over the phone interview with CPS all the information and some phone numbers was disconnected. Nothing I gave them was disconnected like my mom's number, work number. I'm very upset I haven't gotten out of bed cause I'm so upset and disgusted with the matter. I understand my credit wasn't great but I explain that to the sales guy who was doing the paperwork. Someone definitely needs to get this company out of business cause the way they do business is wrong and misleading.

Original review: May 4, 2017

Only $21.20 was applied to the principal of my loan for this month. I paid the balance of $125.64 for the month of April 2017 - but then CPS demanded another $100 stating the payment was not complete and late. I had paid an additional $100 in March. I want this matter to be reviewed by someone who has the authority to make decisions. I am being misused and this practice is unfair. My money should not be going only to interest. What kind of company/business/organization is CPS? I needed a loan to purchase my vehicle and I agreed to this high interest and I have made my payments. But this practice of claiming almost all my payment to interest is an outrage.

Original review: April 16, 2017

My husband lost his job in Dec 2016. We could no longer afford our vehicle thru CPS so I ask them to come and get it. Today is 4-15-17 and this vehicle still sits in my driveway with no payments made since Dec. 2016. CPS continues to send me letters offering to defer payments which I decline. I can't afford the vehicle and deferred payments are only going to increase what I owe in the end. CPS sends me a letter telling me they have given me a due date change as requested. Problem is I never made such a request.

They moved my payment due Dec 15th to Jan 15th. Sounds like a deferment to me, which I clearly rejected time and time again. Given CPS's shady past, I reported them to the FTC. FTC followed up with them and CPS agree to waive all late fees (were none). I'm wondering if this is why this vehicle continues to sit here after multiple requests to pick it up. The response I receive from CPS is these things take time? My intentions are after they repo to go to court and fight the balance owed and reference what I believe are less than legal business practices. Can anyone provide any insight or information on this?

Original review: March 23, 2017

I purchased a 2013 Dodge Challenger through a dealership where they had got me approved through this company. I put down a great amount of cash and drove off the lot with my brand new car. A month later I receive a call from the dealership stating that they will have to find another bank to finance my car because CPS decided not to go through with the loan because one of my jobs wouldn't be considered a real job... you talking about highly pissed. I'm like first off why a whole month later. But after reading these complaints I'm glad that it didn't work out, this company is a piece of **, and not only did they do me like that, the dealership stated that they have done tons of their other customers like that. This shouldn't be legal at all. I recommend nobody to use this company for financing. I know sometimes we get happy just to be approved and often take what we can get, but this company is not the one.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Was trying to buy a good used vehicle from Erwin Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep for my wife and these guys ended up being the finance company that came through with the best APR, term and monthly payment considering our credit isn't the best after hitting a hard patch a few years ago. We put down a pretty decent cash down payment, everything was good, or so we thought, and we drove her 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee off the lot. A week later, CPS calls and wants my past 2 years W-2's, cancelled payroll checks for the pay stubs I gave the finance guy at the dealership and a signed 4506-T so they can view my tax returns.

I told them W-2's no problem, the tax returns ok but don't understand why, the cancelled payroll checks I don't have access to and there's no way my boss is going to give a copy of those out considering they have account and routing numbers on them. So I email the W-2's the same night as they requested them, because I have them handy and the 4506-T I was still considering. Next day I get a call from the dealership saying that CPS killed the deal because my W-2's were fraudulent and they were ordered or printed from a website that is known to provide fraudulent financial documents and furthermore my paystubs look like they were printed on a word processor.

Now let me say this, I work for a small family owned company that only has about 6 employees including myself, yes my paystubs are originated and printed using MS Excel and my W-2's are your "run of the mill" looking W-2's not printed on perforated paper with fancy logos or anything like that. I have financed 2 other loans in the past 9 years including a $22, 000 truck loan with Ally Bank using the same documents I provided CPS. I may be several things but a liar and a fraud I am not. CPS you can kiss my ** and next time you decide someone is providing you fraudulent information why don't you pick up the phone and call the employer or even better, look up the employer identification number on the documents and see if they're real or not. Buyers beware, seek financing elsewhere!!

Consumer Portfolio Services Company Information