1.4/5 (152 ratings)

About Consumer Portfolio Services

Consumer Portfolio Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Portfolio Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Portfolio Services?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

This company is horrible..I got behind when Covid hit and everything shut down. Got behind on my payments. They refused to work with me. All they did was threaten me…April of 2022 they came and repossessed the car. I was able to borrow the money from a family member. They gave me the total balance I had to pay to get car back…I paid it then in May received a letter and email saying I still owed 249.00 for April and come end of May at due date I would have May due so I paid it then paid May and the following month June, then July only to be told I still owed for March and April so the payments I was making in May and June was covering payments I was still behind even after showing the email and letter that it is impossible.

They said they will do a audit and came back to tell me almost 2 weeks later that I was still behind and the payments I was making was taking care of the past due which keep in mind the only way I could get my car back was by paying everything that was past due and the payment that was due for April so these people are ripping the customers off…Even with proof from their own company employees that was 2 different employees telling me I still owed 249.00 for April and called and took care of it and next payment was not due till end of May and been paying them to only come back and say I’m still behind…you can’t get your car back from a repossession without everything past due paid up front so my words to you guys stay away. They are awful.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

I give this company A BIG FAT ZERO! I have paid off four cars & NEVER been treated so horrible! After contracting covid back in October 2021 I fell behind in a car payment! After calling to work out something as I have been paying on this account for three years before Covid & thinking something could be worked out. After all I had severe pneumonia complications as I am disabled veteran to date I am still under Department of Veterans Affairs medical care for it.

I was lectured on how I was to spend the stimulus checks the federal government was giving! That’s right folks! Never mind the economy is shot, covid is affecting millions, people everywhere can’t work, lost their job, waiting on backlogs of unemployment claims! But this business is going to tell you how to spend your stimulus checks when I dare say everybody in the nation right now is running 30 days behind trying to buy FOOD these days! They Harass you, family & friends over being 30 days or less behind!! It is not worth it!

I just got off the phone with them blasting them as I traded my vehicle in July to get away from this police state led business that dictates the consumers! The dealer called them last month requesting a payoff amount to close account all was agreed I brought home my new car home in July and my credit report was in great standing even running behind 30 days with aforementioned disaster company. Today, when I checked my report my credit score dropped 30 points because CPS reported even after dealer paying them off for my new car!!! They informed me I had to make another payment on my now closed account!! I told them they were severely mistaken because after dealer calls them for payoff I am no longer in the picture!!!! They are the most unprofessional, demeaning bunch of liars I have ever done business with!!! DON’T DO IT MY FELLOW AMERICANS!! BEWARE!!!

Get buying tips about Auto Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

CPS financed a 2012 Camaro for me January 2018. May 2019 the car literally broke down on me. No warning signs. I KEPT the maintenance and my payments up. I had just bought 4 brand new tires and had just got the registration in April. Always got my oil changed synthetic $80 per visit. The car literally scared me. Driving in the rain it would slide. I thought it was the tires but it still would slide in the rain with the new tires. I was on the freeway coming from a 10 hour shift at work. I heard something I thought it was debris trapped under. It sound like plastic rattling under. Pulled over didn't see any thing stuck under the bottom. It wouldn't start back up. Had the car towed to the Chevrolet dealership. $15K was my estimate for a new catalytic converter. Overall they said I need a new motor.

I was in denial a little because I'm like my car was running fine and then bam. My only transportation. I had to pay Uber to get back and forth to work. $50 -$60 a day. Rode with coworkers a few days. My point it cost me a lot of money and inconvenience with the sudden break down. I called CPS to see if there was any way they could finance the repairs. They said no and didn't have any referrals for financing repairs. Went back to the dealership I got the car from. They were nonchalant. I was on time with my payments everything. I told them to come get the car. I couldn't afford the repairs and needed another car asap.

2022 CPS sold the loan to Velocity LLC and they filed a $15k ironic yes $15k Judgement towards me. So warning to all who may have defaulted the loan for whatever reason. They are going to SUE you. There is a clause in the contract that says if they sell your loan that party had the same rights. I'm so mad because I really like my car and just like wow did they sell me a bad car? $15k law suit. Took the $3k already from my little savings bank account. Now in negotiations for the $12k. If I had $ I would have gotten the Camaro repaired. I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Car suddenly broke down and now you are being sued.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

Please stay away from this company! Fraudulent! Thiefs! Rude! Car loan approved with 15k down and was approved with 12k over sticker price plus unauthorized warranty added without my knowledge. They are running an illegal establishment with kickbacks from specific dealerships and committing auto fraud on a daily basis. Shame on you CPS & Sandy Sansing of Pensacola, FL.

Original review: July 4, 2022

This is my first ever auto loan as I've become of age. I got stuck with these guys. Don't know what to do, I can't get a hold of anyone. It just brings me to the same person. Can you guess what the call says? They aren't available at all. I called 8 times. I can't request a change on the date of payment. Can't get ahold of anyone. At this point in time, I believe they are making it hard to reach them so you run into issues so they can repo your vehicle. I can't even get anyone on their online chat. I transferred to a different job due to reasons. I let them know. They said they would call me back with a solution. They aren't worth it and honestly, I should've outright bought my vehicle. I have had many issues with this company and it's only my third month with them. I set up autopay. Guess what "it wasn't set up correctly." They called me 4 days after the due date. Like seriously. Find another company who actually wants to work with you and be there for you, not a thorn in your bottom. I just want to be rid of them.

Original review: June 30, 2022

This Company gave me my loan for my car. 18% interest. I asked to refinance they said no which is a lie. Asked for audit of my payments and all the agents give me different answers. You’re better off saving your money, time, and energy by going elsewhere. I wouldn’t recommend them even if I got paid. Consider yourself warned.

Original review: May 9, 2022

Consumer Portfolio Services financed a vehicle for me back in 2005 while I was in the military. The vehicle was a Dodge Stratus and the amount financed was $12,500 with an extremely high interest rate. I paid on the car for two years paying $330 a month. When I was leaving the military I called CPS and told them I was paying three months ahead on the principal because I was getting out of the military and was making sure the payment didn’t get behind. I got out of the military in July of 2007. I received a call in August saying I was late on my payment. I told them I had paid three months ahead and they told me that money went towards the interest and not the principal balance.

After arguing back in forth with them for a month I got tired of being harassed and threatened so I told them to come get the vehicle. Three months later they finally had the vehicle picked up. Didn’t hear anything from them until July 2008 when they called saying I still owed them $5500. They didn’t send me written notification or call saying the vehicle was being sold as stated in our contract nor did they send a copy of the bill of sale. They told me the car sold for $7500 so I was under the impression they was going to send me the overpayment of the principal loan since that was the contract agreement. They received $15,500 total. Here it is 2022 and they still haven’t honored their contract and I’m still being harassed.

Original review: March 9, 2022

I had a 2017 Kia Forte that I financed through Credit Acceptance. I only had it roughly a year and I realized it was too small so I wanted to upgrade to an SUV because I have teen boys and every time we drove somewhere it was a tight squeeze for them. I made all my payments on time or early for a year, did not need a co-signer or a cash down payment since I traded in another vehicle (when I bought the Kia). In January of this year (2022), I went back to the same dealer to get a SUV. I fill out credit app and even though my income and credit was basically the same, the only place that would finance was Consumer Portfolio Services with a co-signer. I’m like omg after they paid off the rest of my auto loan that I currently had. The dealer said I had 5k to put towards another car so why the heck do I need a co-signer. Long story short, my ex co-signed for me. This is where CPS starts to bug me.

I take the new car home and every day for about two weeks my ex keeps getting letters and bills from CPS. He is not paying or driving the car and was annoyed at getting letters from them so I call and say why is he getting bills and letters as a co-signer? He does not drive the car, have the car, and isn’t even listed on the title. He is only supposed to be bothered if I default on the loan which I haven’t. I’ve only had the car a week. So she switches it to where I only get mail and calls and not him. Ok great. My payment was due on Feb 27. I made it on Feb 28. I did call and tell them it’s easier for me to pay on the first of the month and they said after the first payment, I could change future due dates. So ever since I have changed the address from his to mine, I have 2-3 letters and or bills from them a week. It says they are a debt collection agency.

I find it odd that a finance company would have correspondence saying they are are a collection agency on it. I am not in default. They send 2 bills a week for payments that aren’t due. My phone rings all day to where I had to start blocking numbers I don't recognize. Ever since I’ve taken this loan out, I’ve been getting harassing calls from some place saying they have court documents to file against me and they will show up at my both my work and home to serve them to me if I don’t answer their calls. I don’t owe anybody anything! I even contacted the local court to see if I have any cases against me for anything and there is nothing. I just feel so stupid getting a loan from here.

This is a nightmare and I should have just kept the car I had. Also my car payment went up 200.00. Why would my payment be more for a car with more miles and three years older than the car I had previously??? I don’t trust this place at all. I really want to see if I can go back to Credit Acceptance. I never heard one peep from them the whole time I had my loan there.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Right after a chapter 7 discharge CPS financed me, no problem. Of course if you miss a payment without notifying them ahead of time the will call.. I learned quickly that with this company "communication IS key" as long as I kept in contact and told them what was going on they did care when I made my payments... They may have been reporting late payments but at least I wasn't being harassed.. And the 2 customer service reps, a guy and a woman out of New York I believe, we're super nice and super helpful every single phone call... Thank you guys so much!! Y'all helped me A LOT.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

Fell behind one payment after I purchased the car due to a life and death experience literally! Car was repossessed and was trying to reinstate loan based on my circumstances and they was so rude, thoughtless and inconsiderate and wouldn’t allow me to go forth and pay balances!

Consumer Portfolio Services Company Information