1.40/5

Looking for a loan company?

Consumer Portfolio Services

Looking for a loan company?

Consumer Portfolio Services Reviews

Original review: July 20, 2019

In 2006 I used them for a sub-prime auto loan. I had started a new job and a bad credit score. They financed me for 66 months without any problems. I even paid late once! They called me, but never harassed or threatened. I paid my balance and would recommend them to anyone in a tough situation.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I used Consumer Portfolio Services after filing bankruptcy to get a car as they were the only company that would finance me at the time. After seeing a lot of negative reviews about how people were repo'd, charged late fees and when trading or paying off their car, they were given a different payoff amount, I was a little concerned. However I never paid late and I was always able to speak directly to an agent anytime I called. No one ever came to try and repo, they never called any of my references trying to hunt me down and when I traded my vehicle in for a new one, I didn't have a problem with the payoff amount. I guess the others having issues with this company just don't make their payments on time, so it's not the fault of the finance company. I would recommend them and work with them again if ever needed.

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Consumer Portfolio financed my new Chevrolet Traverse. No other company would finance me because of my bad credit. My old car needed expensive repair that I couldn’t afford, and I was tired of worrying about it breaking down on me. I only needed to put a $500 down payment. That was almost two years ago. I do have a high interest rate but pay every two weeks to pay down the interest. My credit has increased 60 points. Thank you Consumer Portfolio.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I had a car loan through CPS in 2012 on a 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had subprime credit no one else would finance me. CPS was the only one who trusted me so I had to show this company I was determined to pay on time by any means. I paid extra when possible to cut the interest down and put income tax checks toward my loans. By doing this I paid Jeep off a few months ahead of time. I never had any bad experience with anyone at CPS. To this day I owe everything I have for CPS because without them I wouldn't have been able to get to work. Thank you CPS. You get 5 stars from me.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

In April 2016, my minivan was flooded during the "Tax Day Flood". I was in Chpt 13 Bankruptcy, but needed to replace my vehicle. CPS the only bank that would finance me, with the Chpt 13 guidelines of getting a car loan. Yes it's a higher interest rate; Yes it's a simple interest loan; Yes if you do not pay in a timely basis, you accrue interest, even after your loan term is up. It is what it is folks. If you cannot make your loan payments on time, then you will feel like you're getting screwed, BUT you're not. The loan accrues interest on a daily basis, so you need to PAY THIS LOAN ON TIME, Consistently. If not, you will accrue interest. I do not like the high interest (near 18%), but that is the consequence of bad credit/bankruptcy. But at least I have a car. And I will pay off the loan on the "maturity date". I have my monthly payment deducted every 1st day of the month, by autopay. This is the way to pay these simple interest loans.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Portfolio Services?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I got a loan in 2013. Fast forward to now, I have had several late payments due to being laid off and maturity date of loan is 2020. I still owe 10000 at maturity date. After paying 450 a month for 7 years.... DO Not under any circumstances get a loan with them. I would have been better off renting a car every week.... It would have been cheaper. I feel like saying come and get it! Robbery!!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

They have horrible customer service the way they talk to you as if you are beneath them. I have communicated to them and when I call and respond it’s nothing but attitude, if people are calling to give you money, what’s the problem. The voice messages they leave is as if we were friends and there is an issue, no professionalism what so ever. Even though when they answer the call and say it’s on a recorded line... What does that mean? Obviously the way you customer service people doesn’t matter! Maybe they are trained to be hostile, I’m not sure, but I would rather communicate via email instead. Especially with my condition. It’s just nastiness for no reason. Sending positive vibes their way, but do not recommend. Horrible experience every time!! If I could give a 0 for service I would.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I bought a 2010 Hyundai in 2014. My was for $9,554 with an interest $5,600.02. So far I've paid 9000 in interest and they're still trying to say I owe 3000 on the line. First of the uploaded said that I was uploading uploading and uploading so when I finally got in touch with them they said, "Oh no it's not paid of. You still owe us $3,000." Bull. Each person I talked to there told me a different story. One said that the finance company back at my car from was telling me the truth then somebody else had known what they told me was wrong then somebody else said, "They were right but couple payments was late so it made your interest go way up. You don't pay 95% interest on a loan." I don't care who you are.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Like so many others our credit was horrible and CPS was only ones to take us. We got behind due to illness. When able to start paying again we worked out an every two week repayment option. I have this in writing and faithfully honored the agreement but we awoke one morning to a neighbor calling to say our car had been taken (repossessed). After many phone calls to several people I finally found out where our things were, then CPS calls and asks if we will pay over two thousand to get our car back. I said, "No thanks." We borrowed a car from a friend until we could get something else, which we did. We got something 3 years newer with considerable less miles and fully loaded. All of this for $4000 less than we still owed CPS after 3 1/2 years of payments. The car was supposedly auctioned about 2 weeks ago and what I am really wondering about is if CPS will try to come after us for remainder?? If so I will plan in filing for bankruptcy.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I am devastated to learn that after paying a high car payment for the last 4 years that I still owe 18000 grand-probably more with the way they screw you. I called to ask how to make principal payments only and they said, "You can't," laughed at me then hung up. I called back and it happened again. When I asked for a supervisor they again hung up. After 10 calls, I was told the only way is to call in a payment, but they won't give receipts. I asked if I could send a money order and she said, "No they won't count-most likely because I would have proof then." I will be contacting a lawyer because at this rate I will never pay this car off. :(

Consumer Portfolio Services Company Information