Find a Loan Companies partner

2. Finance
  3. Loan Companies

1.4/5 (142 ratings)
Find a Loan Companies partner

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

About Consumer Portfolio Services

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

Consumer Portfolio Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Portfolio Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Portfolio Services?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

I informed CPS that I could not afford the 2018 Hyundai Elantra that I bought November 2017. The car notes are not behind but I just cannot afford the car plus the pandemic has not made it easy for anyone. I was told I have to be eligible for a voluntary surrender (Eligible?). What CPS does is wait until the car defaults then repossesses your vehicle, which is kind of illegal, especially if you have already notified them of your issue. So, I decided to obtain a lawyer, just to see if they default me so that a class action lawsuit can be filed. I will keep you guys posted.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I purchased a 2013 Honda Accord in July of 2013 for a 72 month term. I did have a few extensions. My loan originally should have been paid 7/19. They pushed it back to 7/20 and when I made my last payment it was changed to 8/20. My car was repossessed last Friday 11/20 because I refused to pay them another dime.

Get buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

This company is about as unethical and dishonest as they come. My loan is 100% paid in full and they plummeted my credit rating by over 51 points when all principal and interest had been paid in full. Not a single payment had been missed in over 2 years -- despite the death of my son and Covid19 contract losses. They reported to all 3 Credit Reporting agencies that the account was "closed" when it was not with the notation "Paid as Agreed" rather than that it had been paid in full which should have raised my credit rating rather than send it into a free fall.

CPS finds every dirty way to exploit customers and I wish the Attorney General of California would investigate them for their business practices. AVOID signing on the dotted line with them. A 6-year loan took 8-years to pay off because of their unethical business practices of hidden fees (late fees, fees for them processing a payment, fees for extending during hardships, etc.). All excessive fees have also been paid on this account as well. There ought to be a law against such unethical and dishonest contract writing. Now, if only they would send me the title on my vehicle ... AVOID THIS LOAN COMPANY UNLESS YOU HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

This is the worse company ever, there was a mistake by the dealer on the 1st payment of the car and ever since then even though the account is up to date, it gets paid on time..they harass me calling 3 + times a day calling like if the account was delinquent when is up to date..payments get done on time...there's no need to harass if the payment isn't due or delinquent... I told them not to be calling and they just don't care, they ran my credit again without permission bringing it down 10 points every time they do it..what for? This company has to be shut down for good...

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

The company is very heartless. I had my car since July 3 2013 and with the pandemic I lost everything, my husband, my car, even felled a little behind on bills. I was told the first week of September they were gonna work with me and wow what do you know in the middle of the night they impounded my car along with my custom tires and rims that I had purchase before losing everything due to the pandemic. The guy promised me a payment plan and still repossessed my car. I owe like 3800 more on my car. They won’t even work with me to get my car back. Want me to pay like $2500 at once to get it back and I didn’t have it a $300 towing fee and a $35 dollar a day storage charge they and I was lying 432 a month for a 2010 charger and old car so you know they could have worked with me on the payments. Don’t purchase through them at all. They are rude on the phone. Very very demanding.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

Stay away from CPS! Financed a car back in 2014. Once I reached a balance of $4,000 it remained that way for over 2 years. Where are my payments going?! How is it a payment is made every month yet the balance remains the same. They are unethical and their employees are rude. They are the only company that has not offered any help or relief for those of us affected by the pandemic. They have predatory practices and make it impossible to pay off the loan. Worse mistake of my life was signing on that dotted line. Please look for other options. This company is a nightmare!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

If you do not have to get an auto loan from them, DON'T! I have had a loan with them since Sept 2018 and they check my credit every two months...WHY? I also asked to send my payments in biweekly and I was told that I can; however, they will not apply the payments until the due date. What! They are only interested in getting rich off of their customers. The customer service agents are NASTY and if you are even one day late they will call you MULTIPLE times a day. Run...Don't walk!

Original review: July 26, 2020

This place is the worst company. I bought a Kia In 2015 for a little over $21k. After being harassed during these rough times with the phone calls; which CSP makes you feel like a total POS when you are late and makes you feel worse when you try and explain you are struggling because your hours are cutback. Well I thought I was pretty close with having this car paid off and thought it might be easier to try and get the money somehow to just pay the balance instead of getting multiple phone calls a day every day and I was just told I still owed $20k!!! WTH have I been paying on, someone else’s car? I wish I never got my car loan through them!

Original review: July 23, 2020

This is the worst company ever. I wish my wife and I never had to deal with this place. We have been affected by the pandemic and they act like they care. And asked me if I can borrow the funds from someone else. Sorry but everyone else is also struggling. I do not understand how these people stay in business. The attitudes of these employees they should be ashamed. My wife and I got a vehicle in 2016. We have been having money troubles but who don't, tried to call many times and let them know what is going on and they just pressure you like crazy.

If you don't have to give you can't give it. And many times they have asked my wife and I "Can you borrow the money for the payment?" This company doesn't really care and the lST COUPLE of times I have talked to them and my wife has talked to them it shows that they do not care. So if anyone can help it don't go with this company. It's too much headache. They don't care if you are struggling or what. But they won't have a problem of taking your vehicle away.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I have a Hyandai Sante Fe Truck. I bought the truck back in October 2016. I bought the SUV at 21,000. They still telling me I still owe the 20,000. I pay my Truck note on time. They always reporting me late. They always on my credit just doing the most. They have different supervisor and managers telling you a bunch of lies. They over charge you on these cars, they always want to repossess your car, they feel like that's scaring you, I ignore these dumb idiots, I always tell them off because they suck, I hired a attorney just because of them, my attorney was blown away of all the lawsuits they have. They don't care about Covid-19. That's what they told me. They just want their money. They're scam company. I hate this Company with a Passion.

Consumer Portfolio Services Company Information