Find a Loan Companies partner

2. Finance
  3. Loan Companies

1.4/5 (142 ratings)
Find a Loan Companies partner

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

About Consumer Portfolio Services

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

Consumer Portfolio Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Portfolio Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Portfolio Services?

Original review: July 19, 2020

I financed a car in 2016 after filing bankruptcy. Talk about a scam...these people who work for them are trained in how to be nasty! Made on time payments for 3 years until my car was totaled. Had gap insurance which paid off car but owed around $1200. Made arrangements to pay every month and they reported me as late to the credit bureau. Spoke with them several times regarding these 'late payments'. Even though I had made arrangements to pay balance they considered them late as I could not pay off when car was totaled. Disputed claims with the credit bureaus but still showing. Go ANYWHERE ELSE! What a bunch of scammers taking advantage of consumers with credit concerns!

Original review: July 18, 2020

This company doesn't care about the customers at all. Most of the employees are nasty. Even though knowing that I was affect by Covid they put 90 days past due on my credit report and then they reposed my car On July 1, 2020 in the early morning hours just to surpass the guidelines Covid 19 (from March 2020 to June 30, 2020). Then the company that reposed my car towed car with a regular tow and drag my Audi A3, 47 miles and damaged it. Once the company refuse to take responsibility by saying that it was towed standard. Anyone that knows about cars that you the flatbed to tow a luxury car. They have the worst business practices ever. BEWARE.

Original review: June 15, 2020

This finance company is the worst, I really do not understand how they can legally operate when they are stealing money left and right. My car has been financed through them Since 2016. Making payments, everything to interest and the interest rate is ridiculous, I brought my vehicle back in 2016 $1965.00. I am nowhere near paying off the vehicle, making payments every 2 weeks when I get paid, my payoff balance is $18,234.79. It seems like I am not paying nothing on my car but I have. They keep HARASSING me call me everyday. My hours have been cut due to CoronaVirus and never once did they reach out and say, "We understand with all that is going on this is what we can do for our customers that may be struggling."

Original review: May 26, 2020

My car was financed through CPS in October of 2014. I recently reached out to them to see if I could get a payout or some kind of settlement on my car because I lost my job due to Coronavirus and I was almost done paying on it. They immediately told me no. They gave me the run around basically saying they couldn't give me a discount because it would look bad on the company and I owed less than what the car was worth. One employee name Silva told me that instead of helping me out to send him pictures of my car because they could at least get $4000 off of it if they repossessed it. I can't believe them.

You would think after 5 years they would want to help me out but they're more so into sucking you dry with outrageous interest payments. I wouldn't recommend these people to anybody!! They are horrible and you will never speak to a supervisor so don't even try it. You'll talk to everybody else. They are the worst. They take advantage people and have horrible customer service.

Original review: April 28, 2020

If I could give this company a zero I would. I called to ask for a deferment on my car loan due to Covid-19 and was told "I do not qualify for a deferment". I also explained I could provide a Dr note because I was taken out of work (I work in a Dr Office) due to being high risk and I could face death upon exposure to Covid-19 as I have heart disease. Regardless they were unwilling to work with me and have very Poor Customer service. CPS has harassed me daily even after they were given a date as to when they would receive payment (Only 30 days past due)!!! Basically it was pay my bill to keep my car or take a chance at death... I will be seeking legal action. That is for sure because they should not be able to do this to people at a devastating time like this!

Original review: April 12, 2020

I called because of the covid 19 to ask for a deferment. They denied me and spoke to me like I should have the money, I told them that I was furloughed, they did not care. This epidemic that is occurring cannot be helped. This is unbelievable. I am disgusted with them.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Dealer Review- If I could leave Zero Stars I would. We did a Direct Mail piece with them recently. Everything was set to drop on a certain date near a holiday weekend. No traffic, didn't think much..maybe it got delayed. Called them up the next day. The printer was supposedly broken "first time in 14 years." At first they shot straight then as the days passed I could tell I wasn't getting the real answers. Comes down to canceling or not..

Finally get a hold of the VP there and he offers an additional 1,000 pieces on top of the 5,000. (The only positive in this whole mess) Long story short, the mailer finally drops 8 days later.... CRM tracking, phone records, text records.... AN ENTIRE 7 LEADS!!!! That's it.... 6000 pieces of Direct mail for 7 leads. (Not one person in the door) STAY FAR AWAY!!! After emailing the entire team about the non existent performance NOT ONE person reached out. (PS: this isn't an ex employee or finance customer as some places say that to counter a bad review).

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I was approved financing thru CPS last year after filing bankruptcy in July 2018. I havent really experienced much of an issue with them, until today being very disturbed by their actions. My note is due on the 20th of the month, and I had fallen behind back in June due to medical condition. But it is November, in Sept they approved an extension to help me get caught up for the 1 month i was behind due to my medical leave. So October came and I wasnt able to make my payment on the said due date Oct 20th, but we have a 10 day grace period and required that use it because in Sept my son ended up being injured after being hit by a car on his way home. So this delayed me being able to make my payment on time by due date, but it didnt set me back 30 days as the payment was made via their website on Nov 14th.

Not even 30 days past due, however by then CPS has sent a Field Collection Rep to my home and this evening I received a Collection Notice from the same company the Field rep works for demanding the entire balance of my loan. And seriously, I could see if I were several months behind and wasnt even 30 days, and apparently it's because I dont answer their repeated calls, well, thats because They are calling during the hours I am at work, as I do not work 9-5, like the typical person and typical work hours, I work swing so catching me by phone after 5pm is almost impossible because I am at work.

But i will say it's ridiculous that they are harassing me for a payment that wasnt even 30 days past due, and going to the extent of sending a Field Collection Rep to my home and then have them sending me collection notices for a payment thats not even 30 days past due, you can look at my payment history and Ive only been late twice since i got the loan and seriously this is the extent they go to, to force a consumer to answer their phone. For a payment less than 30 days late and doing all of such I find is harassing especially because im not several months to where then I could expect and understand why they're doing this but not less than 30 days and I am furious and looking to file a complaint wherever i can because this is beyond harassment, because they get their payments and never have i been several Months late.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

But good luck ever paying the damn thing off! They squeeze every penny from you. I was paying more than they asked every month, then they randomly started taking 210 of 260 every month. So $50 freaking bucks was going to my loan... $50!!!! And if I paid more they took more. Total crap. Also their “payoff” is almost a grand MORE than I owe. ALLY is 100% better and that’s what I have with my truck. They don’t try to rob you if you want to pay off. I will be refinancing ASAP. ** robbing company.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I got a loan in 2013. Fast forward to now, I have had several late payments due to being laid off and maturity date of loan is 2020. I still owe 10000 at maturity date. After paying 450 a month for 7 years.... DO Not under any circumstances get a loan with them. I would have been better off renting a car every week.... It would have been cheaper. I feel like saying come and get it! Robbery!!!!

Consumer Portfolio Services Company Information