Find a Loan Companies partner

2. Finance
  3. Loan Companies

1.4/5 (142 ratings)
Find a Loan Companies partner

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

About Consumer Portfolio Services

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

Consumer Portfolio Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Portfolio Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumer Portfolio Services?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

But good luck ever paying the damn thing off! They squeeze every penny from you. I was paying more than they asked every month, then they randomly started taking 210 of 260 every month. So $50 freaking bucks was going to my loan... $50!!!! And if I paid more they took more. Total crap. Also their “payoff” is almost a grand MORE than I owe. ALLY is 100% better and that’s what I have with my truck. They don’t try to rob you if you want to pay off. I will be refinancing ASAP. ** robbing company.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I got a loan in 2013. Fast forward to now, I have had several late payments due to being laid off and maturity date of loan is 2020. I still owe 10000 at maturity date. After paying 450 a month for 7 years.... DO Not under any circumstances get a loan with them. I would have been better off renting a car every week.... It would have been cheaper. I feel like saying come and get it! Robbery!!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

They have horrible customer service the way they talk to you as if you are beneath them. I have communicated to them and when I call and respond it’s nothing but attitude, if people are calling to give you money, what’s the problem. The voice messages they leave is as if we were friends and there is an issue, no professionalism what so ever. Even though when they answer the call and say it’s on a recorded line... What does that mean? Obviously the way you customer service people doesn’t matter! Maybe they are trained to be hostile, I’m not sure, but I would rather communicate via email instead. Especially with my condition. It’s just nastiness for no reason. Sending positive vibes their way, but do not recommend. Horrible experience every time!! If I could give a 0 for service I would.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I bought a 2010 Hyundai in 2014. My was for $9,554 with an interest $5,600.02. So far I've paid 9000 in interest and they're still trying to say I owe 3000 on the line. First of the uploaded said that I was uploading uploading and uploading so when I finally got in touch with them they said, "Oh no it's not paid of. You still owe us $3,000." Bull. Each person I talked to there told me a different story. One said that the finance company back at my car from was telling me the truth then somebody else had known what they told me was wrong then somebody else said, "They were right but couple payments was late so it made your interest go way up. You don't pay 95% interest on a loan." I don't care who you are.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Like so many others our credit was horrible and CPS was only ones to take us. We got behind due to illness. When able to start paying again we worked out an every two week repayment option. I have this in writing and faithfully honored the agreement but we awoke one morning to a neighbor calling to say our car had been taken (repossessed). After many phone calls to several people I finally found out where our things were, then CPS calls and asks if we will pay over two thousand to get our car back. I said, "No thanks." We borrowed a car from a friend until we could get something else, which we did. We got something 3 years newer with considerable less miles and fully loaded. All of this for $4000 less than we still owed CPS after 3 1/2 years of payments. The car was supposedly auctioned about 2 weeks ago and what I am really wondering about is if CPS will try to come after us for remainder?? If so I will plan in filing for bankruptcy.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I am devastated to learn that after paying a high car payment for the last 4 years that I still owe 18000 grand-probably more with the way they screw you. I called to ask how to make principal payments only and they said, "You can't," laughed at me then hung up. I called back and it happened again. When I asked for a supervisor they again hung up. After 10 calls, I was told the only way is to call in a payment, but they won't give receipts. I asked if I could send a money order and she said, "No they won't count-most likely because I would have proof then." I will be contacting a lawyer because at this rate I will never pay this car off. :(

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I traded my car that owed with this company for a new car with a bank with a great interest rate. The dealership asked for my payoff and I gave it to them but had paid my car that same day, so the salesman tells me, "They should be sending you a check with that payment." Fast forward 2 weeks I get 2 checks with that amount which I just thought they are sending me due to the dealership paying off the remainder of the loan, so I change the checks at my bank to my account because mind you I think are due to the pay off to find out 3 days later they put a stop payment to and it reports a negative to my account.

I call July 26 2019 at 9:03 to ask why they would send a check and stop payment to it and she said accounting had to put a hold on that one but they were going to send another one out and the call was recorded because they tell you before they even ask for your name. So a week passed and nothing so I call and speak TO YOLANDA, which she was nice and polite. I mean it's not her fault the previous person had no clue what she was doing nor the accounting department that gave her the incorrect information and says no check was coming. So I have a 200 dollars that I have to give the bank for the negative plus the return check fee because of their own mistakes and incorrect information. I am disappointed to say the least and will never recommend them ever to anyone.

Original review: July 20, 2019

In 2006 I used them for a sub-prime auto loan. I had started a new job and a bad credit score. They financed me for 66 months without any problems. I even paid late once! They called me, but never harassed or threatened. I paid my balance and would recommend them to anyone in a tough situation.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I used Consumer Portfolio Services after filing bankruptcy to get a car as they were the only company that would finance me at the time. After seeing a lot of negative reviews about how people were repo'd, charged late fees and when trading or paying off their car, they were given a different payoff amount, I was a little concerned. However I never paid late and I was always able to speak directly to an agent anytime I called. No one ever came to try and repo, they never called any of my references trying to hunt me down and when I traded my vehicle in for a new one, I didn't have a problem with the payoff amount. I guess the others having issues with this company just don't make their payments on time, so it's not the fault of the finance company. I would recommend them and work with them again if ever needed.

Original review: July 4, 2019

Consumer Portfolio financed my new Chevrolet Traverse. No other company would finance me because of my bad credit. My old car needed expensive repair that I couldn’t afford, and I was tired of worrying about it breaking down on me. I only needed to put a $500 down payment. That was almost two years ago. I do have a high interest rate but pay every two weeks to pay down the interest. My credit has increased 60 points. Thank you Consumer Portfolio.

Consumer Portfolio Services Company Information