Find a Mortgages partner

Capital One Mortgage

4.1/5 (521 ratings)
Find a Mortgages partner
Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

About Capital One Mortgage

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Banner image

Looking to refinance your mortgage?

See which lender is best for you!

View Rates

Capital One Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Home Equity loan - This whole experience has been nothing but a nightmare. I've been kept on hold for endless hours for several days. No one returns phone calls or emails. I sent all the necessary paperwork THREE times, and still they say they have not received it! Finally, after speaking to a fast talking rude woman I put an end to dealing with Capital One and their shady business practices. DO NOT deal with these people on any terms!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I was shopping around, and I decided to try Capital One. This guy waste my time spend more than an hour with me pull my credit score, then suddenly said I have back to my manager. He never answer back till now. I called a few days after and no one care. That happened like couple month ago now. I got clear to close with KeyBank, they respect me and treat me well. I will end up my credit card with Capital One too. They not deserve my business. This guy called Christofer **. SO BE CAREFUL AND BE AWARE.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

First off, I started off by reading a lot of reviews and was uneasy about moving forward with Capital One. After discussing the refi with a few different lenders, Capital One offered $2,000 in travel rewards for the loan since I had my credit card with them. I was in the market for the refi anyway, having just finished my 1600 square foot basement, and a lot of home additions/upgrades, so this seemed like a great deal. I completed all the necessary paperwork, passed the credit check, income requirements etc. I uploaded all the required documents and paid $450 for the appraisal out of my own pocket. I then waited.

After a week I was contacted by the appraiser and set up for him to come to the property 3 days later. He came to the property, said almost nothing, and was gone in 20 minutes. Keep in mind this is a 5,500+ square foot home and I can barely walk through it all in 20 minutes. After he left, I informed Capital One that he was done and to let me know the results as soon as possible, so that we could determine the exact numbers of the refi. This is where everything broke down.

I was told it would be about a week for the appraisal to come back and they would contact me when this was done. Two FULL Weeks later there was still no contact from Capital One. I reached out to them, with no response. Two days later I received an email that LoanHub had my appraisal. I logged in to LoanHub, to see that the appraisal was not accurate and that was severely affecting the loan. I immediately reached out to Capital One, and was told my loan specialist would reach out to me within 24 hours. I STILL HAVE NOT HEARD FROM HIM and it's been 3 weeks. I have emailed, I have called, and was told my loan specialist or the manager would reach out to me. This never happened.

I have now completely given up and realize that I should have listened to ALL of the horrible reviews that people have left. They are amateurs and have no idea what they are doing. Do not be fooled by their offers and "cash rewards" etc. I have since had my house re-appraised with a different company, and we are set to close in 2 weeks. The appraiser used by Capital One is AWFUL and came in nearly $60,000 less than my current appraisal, and nearly $50,000 less than my real estate colleagues said was a good price for the home. They would not accept any type of appeal or help to remedy the situation. AVOID AVOID AVOID.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I started the mortgage process with them in the beginning of June 2017, the process was unbelievably grueling with all the requirements but I was striving thru because I really wanted to build a relationship with them (stupid me) and get my mortgage. Throughout the process I was asked for the same things 2 and 3 times over and over again until I started complaining and asked them what they were doing with my paperwork (losing it). I sent everything email and had a record of everything I sent them the first time. They made me pay all my credit cards off to zero and one of the FHA guidelines was that I install railings on the back of the (house that's not mine yet) which I did.

They had an issue with a donor letter for the gift funds which I was getting to use as my downpayment which at their request I redid to show coming from a friend instead of cousin (yeah you can get donor money from aunt, uncle etc.) (just not a cousin) (and by way they had the original letter in August). We are now talking about it again in October so the big bosses cleared it on October 26 and I get an email from them saying "We are looking to close by the end of the month", I then get a call from the 2 bosses on Friday, on a conference call saying, "We decided that we are denying your loan". No other answers on that the gift funds again are not allowed. They never gave me adequate reasoning and to top it off they never gave me the opportunity to use another DONOR. WHY!!!

They strung me along for months, Waited until the 11th hour to decline me, causing my time to close to EXPIRE!! I have reached out to the top brass in this place and they REFUSE to call me back. Wonder WHY. The WORST experience I have ever had in my life. I am a Senior Manager and run a Car Dealership in Manhattan. NEVER, NEVER NEVER would I EVER treat anyone with the Rudeness and Lack of sensitivity that Capital has treated me with. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THEM. THEY DON'T CARE AND their business practices are lousy and unprofessional.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

One knows what they're doing. Stringing us out week after week. Loan hub, which Capital One uses is not up to date or current. We have given them everything they asked for, we even have closing docs & now they want more paperwork. The worst experience ever. We had to contact a mgr & she was just as bad. If you can go elsewhere, I would recommend it!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I wish I had read the Consumer Affairs reviews before applying with Capital One. It was a horrific experience and a waste of 5 weeks time and effort. I applied online and was told I could get a HE 50,000 with a 4.2% interest rate. I specifically applied for a HE and not a re-fi. I was told today, 5 weeks after applying that my interest rate would be 6.7 and I would be basically starting over with required documents, etc. Their excuse was that they would be considered 2nd and not first. I told them they knew that from beginning-so I canceled application today. Their Loan Hub is a joke. You upload documents and they say they never got them. Please, Do Not use Capital One for your Re-Fi or HE Loan. You will regret it. I wish I had checked other reviews before applying.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I applied for a loan modification with Capital One Home Mortgage over 4 months ago. I have been getting nothing but the "runaround" from this company. They harass me weekly with phone calls (they do not allow email or fax) requesting more documentation. Every time I send them what they request, they turn around and ask for something else. They requested my tax returns transcript from the IRS, has me fill out and sign an application and ONE MONTH LATER I received a letter from the IRS that my request was rejected because CAPITAL ONE had me complete the wrong form! When I contacted them about it, they did not even say they were sorry for my inconvenience, instead they demanded that I send them the requested tax returns. So I spent an hour faxing 50 pages because of their negligence.

Today they contacted me again because they need a letter of explanation about our tax returns but refused to send me a letter in the mail with details of what they need. Isn't that illegal (I asked them this question and they got very defensive). They are worse than the IRS!!! This is just one example of their incompetence. Stuff like that has been going on for 4 months now. I wonder how long they can keep this up? I am ready to contact the attorney general, FTC, FRB, CFPB and maybe the FCC. Has anyone else had this experience? I smell a class-action here...:-/

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Took $500 from me. Refused to give me a home loan. Then refused to give me any copy of any home appraisal. Never did an home appraisal. Take my $500 refuse me service then run. Capital One home loan is a scam. They don't have no money to lend. They are flat broke. They only play games and steal from others. What big thieves. Then offer only $400 returned. The job was not complete. I did not get any home appraisal. I am calling them a crook. I am calling this "a take my money and run." But no worries. I just debited what I got scammed from their credit card and they will not be getting another payment.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I contacted Capital One for a mortgage on a manufactured home. I spoke to Chris ** who told me they could finance this because it was considered a modular home since it was on a permanent foundation. Then I was put in touch with the loan officers Binu and Justin. After 35 days of paperwork (to be expected) credit report and employment verification Mike ** called me at 3 PM Friday before the long Labor Day weekend and said they could not do the loan because it was a manufactured home. Justin called me and said, "Oh Yeah I looked at it on Zillow and you could drive the house away." YEAH, if I owned a train to pull it somewhere. Awful, horrible, uneducated personnel.

They do not even know the product they are selling. Now I am left with 25 days to get a loan, an appraisal and close escrow and the home I am renting was sold so I have to be out of it 10/10. I had to hire a mortgage broker for $3,000 to get me a loan. RUN from this company. I am going to stop using my credit cards with them and have nothing to do with this inept company ever again. I am going to post this all over social media so the consumer is aware of what a dreadful and unprofessional company Capital One is. And really - shame on you for putting me and my family in this situation.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Horrible, horrible service. STAY AWAY... don't deliver that's promised. Change play midway... been a ING grandfathered customer. Always on time payments. Had a rate renew with them. After multiple phone calls and more waiting time of over 3 months. I am still dealing with them. Seems like their research is still not done. In the meantime rates change and I can't lock. The last call the lady wouldn't even give me the int rates. Rude service... always on hold and always investigating.

DO NOT GO WITH THIS BANK.

Capital One Mortgage Company Information