Capital One Mortgage
1.17/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Capital One Mortgage

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Looking for a mortgage lender?

120 Capital One Mortgage Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 6, 2018

I did a refinance on my house a few years back with Capitol One 360. They have recently decided to get OUT of the Mortgage. My Mortgage payments have always been made early and on time, however, the NEW PENN FINANCIAL company that will now service my loan wants an extra $2.50 a month for me to make my payment online. REALLY! I do the work and they want me to pay them too? Well, needless to say, going forward it will be snail mail on the mortgage payment and I will be doing a balance transfer on the credit card so that I cut ALL TIES with Capitol One! Sad, but had I known this was going to happen I could have looked at another mortgage company before rates went up! PISS ON CAPITOL ONE! Just like they do the consumer!

Original review: June 6, 2018

They suck. Time after time they jacked me into higher rate because of flood insurance requirements. 2 & 1/2 years fighting with these people and In the in end they won. Not because they were right, because they had the power. Horrible company. Would never recommend!

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have a home equity line of credit with Capital One. They have repeatedly applied my additional principal payment to future interest. I have requested several audits and each time, they admit they were wrong, and have adjusted my account, but I could not tell if it was correct. I believe I have paid thousands more than I should have had to pay because of this. Today, I spent another time consuming morning on the phone speaking with their rep. Today is 4/6/18. Their rep stated they applied my additional principal payment to the statement that is due 4/30/18. This is future interest. Today I requested an audit, but the rep stated they do not do that. This is a lie. I have had to write to the President of the Bank in the past to get my account resolved. This does not seem legal to me. Do NOT use Capital One. They will cheat you.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Capital One Bank are crooks. Yes I said thieves. They kicked me out of my home after 38 years due to a illegal refinance in 2007. This whole bank taker over is a bunch of crap. Capital One Bank are nothing but debt collectors. If anyone out there that reads this can give me some info on suing these thieves please let me know. This is all due to a refinance in August 2007. What a joke. They actually got away. Meaning the broker's apex lending with having me sign the loan docs by myself at my house and then they got my separated husband to sign the loan docs in a different county ten days later.

They backdated everything to look like we signed them together. I tried every which way to fight them but Capital One took over Chevy Chase bank and then refused to have anything to say to me at all. I want to get a investigation open on this bank and if there is anyone else who has lost their house please get back with me. I have read other reviews and it does seem like its time to get back what was ours. I am the original homeowner since 1979. For the real deal my x husband could not of qualified for a refinance without me, but yet they stole my home when the judge awarded it to me.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I applied for Modification loan August 23rd 2017 on my Heloc loan with Capital One maturing on October 25th 2017. Received notification Sept. 7th 2017, that my application was received and documentation they needed. All documentation was faxed over Sept. 11, 2017, that was needed. Called at least 2 to 3 times a week checking progress. As October 25th was coming closer I was making calls daily asking if anything else was needed and/or asking for callbacks which I would never receive. Well October 25th passed and now I was unable to make payments on my loan. I started calling daily they would tell me everything good/nothing is needed. I would request call back from a Supervisor with no prevail.

On November 7th 2017 Capital One announces they will be pulling out of the Mortgage Business and will no longer be doing new loans/heloc/or home equity. I called Capital One asking where does that leave me and I was informed I was fine because application was submitted before announcement. I called every day inquiring the status with no prevail again. I noticed that finally I received a letter at the end of November the underwriters received my complete application. What happen where was it 3 months prior. I called daily and at the end of November. I finally received a call back from a Supervisor inquiring that it would be a couple of days and I should hear something if I am approved or not. This was very stressful and upsetting and could do nothing about this. I was at their mercy.

I called daily checking on status and finally on December 15, 2017 a very nice young man called and stated he received permission to call and tell me I was approved for modification for my heloc loan because he knew how upset I was and wanted me to have a good weekend. I am thinking "Thank you Jesus. What a relief". Wrong!!! On December 21st 2017, I received modification package with 2 options. 1. I can do a short sale or 2. start paying $955.00 February 25'th 2018 at 4.99% interest for 20 years. It also stated that the reason I was not eligible for any other assistance was type of loan it was HELOC. PLEASE HAVE DOCUMENTS NOTARIZED AND SENT BACK BY JANUARY 6TH, 2018. I could not believe what I was reading. What sort of modification was that. This was nothing but a trap that Capital One put me in to give no option but to pick a payment of $955.00 with high interest so I would not lose my home.

I was besides myself knowing I was trapped. I could have went elsewhere and just transferred my heloc loan elsewhere or shopped around for a cheaper interest. I filed complaints with CFPB and OCC Treasure department. The OCC transferred my complaint to CFPB because I was told it fell under the Dodd-Frank Act. Well the CFPB sent letter to Capital One and yes they answered without addressing the complaint. They answered all around the situation about wrong date on there papers etc. What a joke and CFPB closed the complaint because Capital One Answered. I called the CFPB and they told me if I wanted I could open another complaint. Is this an conspiracy. CFPB stated if Capital One answered in a proper amount of time that is all they look for then close the case.

I then filed complaints with Capital One executive complaint department. Beginning of January received notification loan has been sold to Rushmore Mortgage and I can contact them after February 1st. Capital One will no longer service the loan. How convenient they were so tired of hearing from me. I would call them would never get call back ask for a specific person would tell me they were out sick etc. I finally got a call back from Sylvania ** with Capital One Executive Complaint Department telling me they investigated the matter it would like to apologize as it looks like I was caught in the mix of people being laid off and moved etc. Are you kidding me? It is called entrapment.

Mrs. ** kept asking what I wanted because the outcome will not change. I told her I wanted Capital One to send me a letter explaining what happen. She told me legal department advised they cannot do that. She said loan was approved in the legal time matter so what does that mean. She meant that when the underwriters finally received the full application at the end of November it was completed in the legal time frame. Well where was it at the 3 months prior?

I also, keep trying to call them to tell them I need a letter stating explicitly what had transpired as I will need this for the IRS in 2019 explaining on why I had to do an hardship early with drawl from my retirement as Capital One misinformed and trapped me to not have a choice and except a Higher interest with permanent payments or a short sale. I was misguided and stuck to sign/and notarize offer they sent me on December 21, 2017 and have it back to them by January 6, 2018.

It looks like there is no help out there for Consumers who actually try and follow rules and do the right thing/no credit problem etc. and Capital One can just get away with this. I keep trying to call Sylvania ** and a lady named Juanita back at Capital One but I am always informed they are not in office/on sick leave/or on another line. Never calls back. Now since my loan is with Rushmore I am told they no longer service and to call Rushmore. My husband is permanently disabled due to a illness and Capital One has put us in a worse situation on top of all medical bills. I could have shopped around and transferred my HELOC loan elsewhere etc. I have every piece of documentation during this whole process. I don't know what order number means but I will put my capital one loan number. I hope capital one dishonest, entrapment business ways will surface one day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I've had my mortgage loan with Capital One since September 2015 and I've experienced nothing but setbacks and inconvenience. I just had to file my third complaint with the BBB - again, since 2015! The first complaint was because I could not register for an online account on their website to view my own home loan documents and statements. I called Capital One many times over several months and went to the highest chain of command and no one could figure out how to get me online.

After filing with the BBB I got a call from their corporate office stating it was due the simplest mistake, which was an error in my birthdate. I understand mistakes happen but I what I can't understand is why I had to go to such lengths for them the even find the error. Second complaint: Somehow Capital One was under the assumption that I made a duplicate payment. I, myself, hadn't done anything out of the ordinary. My payment was sent directly to them from my bank just like all the other payments.

However, I never said a word and waited to see if they'd discovered their mistake. They did and corrected it. A few months later, as I was checking my credit, I noticed Capital One had submitted to the credit bureaus that I had skipped a payment. What?? Again there goes another complaint. Third complaint: I live in Houston, TX and my home flooded during Hurricane Harvey. I was contacted by Capital One to see if I needed assistance with my loan payments. I accepted the Forbearance, however I was constantly harassed by them as to whether I'd be able to resume payments in December; so I continued my monthly payments anyway. The representative that set up the Forbearance also asked me for a temporary address to send correspondence since I'd been displaced by the storm, so I gave her my work address. Afterwards I noticed the property address of my loan had been changed to my work address on my mobile and online accounts.

Then I received a letter in the mail regarding my insurance coverage stating my work address 'does not correspond with the address in my loan documents.' Why would Capital One permanently change my address, when they KNEW I'd been displaced by the storm and the address THEY asked for was only temporary??? I went online and changed the address myself, yet it still appears on my account. I even called and spoke with a representative and even she had to admit it was a dumb mistake on their part.

I'm so glad I've recorded most of the conversations I've had with these morons. I also just received an email that my tax statement is ready and it even has my work address listed as the property address. It is sad and shameful that I have to spend so much time and energy to MAKE these idiots correct their mistakes. They should stop paying all these A list celebrities to advertise their high interest credit cards and spend that money instead on educating themselves and training their staff. What a joke.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

My experience was a nightmare. My loan officer was Andrew and loan processor Alicesen **. Andrew disappeared half way through my loan Application. Alicesen had no idea what she was doing. She was hard to get a hold of. She messing up in my application and I got denial a week before my closing. After that no one would help me fix it. I went to The Money Store and they got it done in a month. No problem. Capital One need to stick with credit cards only.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

My husband tried to refinance our rental property and he was told because it was not our primary residence that he could not refinance that he would have to try for a hardship! We were notified of some documents that was missing from our application and also some papers that wasn’t signed! We took care of all the paperwork and also called to verify that they received the information! We were told that someone from the underwriters department would be in touch with us throughout the process to keep us informed of what was going on! We received 5 to 6 calls from them and the last four we were told that they had everything and they were still working on it! We received a letter in the mail on December 4 stating that we needed to contact someone else for help! When we called the office we were told that the case was closed because we did not submit all the information that was requested by the deadline!

However when we called to verify that the information was received we were told yes it was and not only that, we were never made aware that they were saying they didn’t have all the information until we received the notice in the mail! I spoke to a member of management and she informed me that they had too many cases open and they were trying to close them! I told her my frustration and asked to speak with upper management! She told me that she spoke with Joe and he wanted to talk with someone in the underwriters department to get a better understanding and see if there was anything they could do and he would call me back by mid afternoon on 12/06/2018! My husband has been dealing with this company for many years and this is the way they show their appreciation for his business!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Home Equity loan - This whole experience has been nothing but a nightmare. I've been kept on hold for endless hours for several days. No one returns phone calls or emails. I sent all the necessary paperwork THREE times, and still they say they have not received it! Finally, after speaking to a fast talking rude woman I put an end to dealing with Capital One and their shady business practices. DO NOT deal with these people on any terms!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I was shopping around, and I decided to try Capital One. This guy waste my time spend more than an hour with me pull my credit score, then suddenly said I have back to my manager. He never answer back till now. I called a few days after and no one care. That happened like couple month ago now. I got clear to close with KeyBank, they respect me and treat me well. I will end up my credit card with Capital One too. They not deserve my business. This guy called Christofer **. SO BE CAREFUL AND BE AWARE.

Capital One Mortgage Company Information