1.43/5

Need a personal loan company?

123 Avant Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 27, 2019

Applied for a personal loan after reviewing options on Lending Tree. Avant was very quick on reviewing my application and walking me through the process to provide them with all the required extra documentation. After being approved the loan was direct deposited into my bank the next day and I am very impressed with how quickly it was done. All in all, this process was so much easier than I thought it would be and I would recommend this to anyone that I know that needs a personal loan.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Was given many options. Avant stood out the most. Provided step by step with every aspect. The application overall cared about my time and safety on information. Got a response either through call or email.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

My credit score is low and I had no choice but to apply for a very high interest loan. The entire process was seamless. After reading so many bad reviews I think many people had a hard time proving their identity and also some applicants' application probably didn’t match the info on the documents they used as proof. If you upload all of the documents they request it happens fast. I applied on Friday, was approved an hour later and the cash was in my bank account at 7 am on Monday! That is fast!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Had great experience. Always very helpful and professional, me a chance when others were not willing. I always use online pay. Very easy and post to account fast. Would recommend to anyone I personally know. Thanks so very much.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I am older and have dealt with many lending companies throughout the years. I can honestly say that AVANT is the WORST I have ever dealt with, and I would not recommend them to anyone, no matter how desperate, unless you are willing to be taken advantage of, and ripped off by extremely high loan interest rates. My credit score was over 700, and they want 35% interest. DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY WILL LIE TO and CHEAT you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avant?

Original review: May 15, 2019

I applied online for a personal loan and received an email from Avant. I called as the email stated to do. I had to give ALL of my information to the person I spoke to (even though the email said I was already approved for a $6,000 loan). I was then transferred to his supervisor (the person whose name was on the email I received). He asked the exact same questions as the person I had just spoken to.

After he explained that I would have to pay $600-$700 for loan insurance BEFORE a loan could be processed. I declined and hung up. He called back yelling at me. He was belligerent!! When I again told him I did not want to continue with his company he screamed, "** YOU!" and hung up. I sent an email back stating how rude and unprofessional I found him to be and informed him I would be contacting the Better Business Bureau about him and his company. I would not recommend this company to anyone. I gave this review one star only because it would not let me continue with a star marked.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I was at McDonald's and buying breakfast for my three daughters the total came to be 8$. The credit card has $19 in credit so I assumed that since you have the credit you can use it, well guess not. They declined the transaction cause I missed my due date even though I scheduled the online payment. Keep in mind I never missed a payment. I talked to Dentanio and he literally did not give a crap about what I had to say. All that he kept saying I will get your complaint to our escalation team. The emotional stress that I had to go through is priceless. Where in the world you can not use your credit if you have it on your credit card????

Original review: May 13, 2019

Unprofessional. 6 Calls within 2 days with different reps asking the same question. If you are looking at my account and contacting me, then you have my information in front of you. Frustrated, cancelled my application.

Original review: May 2, 2019

This morning I went through pre approval process and was approved for a 750 limit. It then asked me to verify info to get the card which then puts a hard inquiry on my credit. So I did and was having issues with the system. After many tries it says, “You’re not approved.” I then called to be transferred many times on. Rep even said, “Dont worry your card is secured.” So I am more relaxed. The next lady says, “You can't be approved at this time.” What a joke. Don't preapprove and take it away. Also my credit is over 700.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Attempted to get a loan with Avant Credit. Was turned down assuming for credit. When I applied they requested a copy of 2018 tax returns, then 2017 tax returns, then a copy of schedules from the very returns they had. Then 2016 tax returns, then a copy of a schedule from 2017 on my wife's business, which she has never owned but insisted my returns said she did. Each time I tried to explain all I got was "yes, and thank you for that". They also was charging a $380.00 origination fee. All this took over a week to accomplish.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I called Avant to make a payment to my fiance's credit card. I was told that because his name isn't on my checking account or Visa debit card, I can't make a payment over the phone, online or through the mail! Whoever heard of a company denying a payment?! He doesn't have a checking account so he pays his payments through my mine. I guess the only way he can pay it is to get a bank check or money order. I have looked online and read the bill that was sent and nowhere on there does it say they can't take money from someone else. I told the guy (who definitely did not speak English very well) to take the card and shove it up his **. If I could give a negative rating, I would. Would be nice to talk to someone who knows what they are doing and I could understand.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I have attempted to resolve a Credit Card issue with your company for the past 4 months. I opened an AvantCard in 05/2018, and around 07/2018, Avant 'locked' my card account, stating the account was being handled by your "resolutions team". I was told by your phone support to call back in 30 days for resolution of the issue (you wouldn't tell me what the 'issue' was).

After 30, 45, and then 60 days, you still had no update or information and told me that the account was still being handled by your "resolutions team". During this time, I continued to make payments (as per my cardholder agreement with you), and began sending emails to your customer care and resolutions team email addresses on 09/07/2018, explaining the issue (that you weren't giving me any update on my account) and that your customer care team seemed unable to provide any feedback, any identification of what the "issue" was, nor any plan of what the resolution to whatever the "issue" might be.

On or around 12.24.2018, I received a printed/mailed statement, with an account number matching the account number on my card, indicating that my account balance was ZERO ($0.00) and that the remainder of my account had been 'charged off'. I received another email notification in 02/2019, indicating that my AvantCard balance was past due (how could that be..?) and upon checking avant.com, sure enough you showed I owed a balance. I am attempting to make payments, but your system is canceling them, you are still showing me past due, and your customer service team states this will negatively report to my credit report.

I've made every attempt to help understand what the issue is. Someone from your company needs to address this immediately. I have emailed your resolutions team 4 times, and they haven't resolved anything. I had to threaten reporting your company's practices just to get a response the first time. This is absolutely unacceptable. Overall, this is a servicer company that is not ready for prime time. Whatever affiliation they have with the card issuer (WebBank) greatly limits their ability to provide customer service and access to information on the card account, and makes it impossible to actually CALL and speak with someone that can offer assistance to account inquiries. Emails to customer care and/or the "resolutions team" go unanswered for weeks, if they are answered at all.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Went through Nerd Wallet and got matched to Avant. Made 3 offers. Applied and the calls started coming. Kept asking for more and more each time not telling you at first what they needed. Then even after I sent everything they wanted they would call every day asking me to "call their 800 number to complete the application process". You call and all you get is recordings tell you to go log into your account. Then you do that and it says everything is complete.

After this went on for several days I received an email telling me my account was closed? No call, email or letter telling me yes or no on my app. Just account closed. When on the phone to an actual person which was never the same person and hard to understand because I speak English, they would ask questions then put you on hold then ask another then put you on hold... Just weird and non professional. My opinion stay away!!!

Original review: March 14, 2019

My experience with Avant was similar to others'. They ran a soft credit check, and offered me a very appealing rate, which turned out to be too good to be true, and lead me to believe that I was approved. Then came the requests for more information, a hard credit check on my report, a bait and switch on my rate, which made their loan unappealing. I ended up getting a loan with another company where the process was simple without the phone calls and requests for additional information.

I have never missed a payment in my entire life. I simply wanted to consolidate my credit card debt. I fell into the trap of Avant's lower rate, which ended up being a huge waste of my time. They actually called me twice to confirm the same information. My advice is go with a company that will process your request quickly and not require additional information, those companies are on the level. Avant is not!!! I regret not reading the reviews here first...lesson learned the hard way.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Dealing with Avant was the most irritating experience I ever had to endure. Asking for a loan was like pulling teeth from a tempered tiger. The questions and information they were asking was like taking out a mortgage. Dealing with overseas people with horrible accents and can't understand what they are saying and understanding. And the percentage rate is out of this world.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I will begin by saying that my credit score is fair 605, 646. I was referred to Avant by Credit Karma, and decided to convert my debt into one monthly payment. Hoping that in doing so I could help improve my credit score. It said that applying would not affect my credit score. I applied, sending in all the pertinent information, signed and completed the process. Then began the barrage of phone calls and emails asking over and over again for information I had already provided. I resent everything, and still the phone calls and emails continued.

I then received notification from Credit Karma that my scores took a nosedive. 40 points in total. I am right back to the place I was over two years ago. I worked so hard over the past two years to improve my score. To top that off they denied the loan. So I am unable to get a loan and my credit score has plummeted. I will also be writing a review of Credit Karma. They advertise for these operations clearly taking advantage of people who are struggling. DO NOT DEAL WITH AVANT EVER!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

We got approved for an 8000 loan. We even got the Loan Agreement and promissory note. We uploaded all the documents they needed and they said they needed to call and verify employment. It took them two days, with us getting constant emails about our approval. Then all of a sudden it was denied. Credit score was 650. We emailed and asked why, but no response. Finally decided it wasn't worth it.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I am new to this company and already I wish I had not done this loan. I have a simple request and they do not understand it. As of now my payment is due on the 19th. I want to change the due date to about the 3rd of each month. Not to push my due date further away but to bring it back from 19 to the 3rd. I am trying to pay all my debts on or about the 1st when I get paid.

This one lingers on all month until the 19th. I have sent my request in via chat and also email. I have even spoken to someone that still doesn't get it. The accent leads me to believe that it is some overseas call center where people with limited English answer the phones. It is extremely frustrating attempting to explain what I want done. I ask them to repeat it back and when they do it is all screwed up. I've asked for a US based English speaking person and still have not heard back from them. I hate this company. I do not recommend this company. I will not use this company ever again.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I received a personal loan from Avant in the amount of 9900.00. After 2 months into the loan, I unexpectedly loss my job after 10 yrs of employment! Avant did nothing to help me and sounded like they are all reading a script like robots! I want to pay my bills, but need help until I find a new FT job. I would NEVER use this company again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I just want to go on record and say this is the worst loan company I have ever seen and they are constantly advertising for people to apply for a loan. I have twice and have learned my lesson the hard way and hope this review will help someone else. My credit rating has went from Fair to Poor applying with these people and how about I have a loan with Web Bank in great standing. My salary and credit history was more than adequate and still they said no. Please don't waste your time with AVANT. They are terrible and not worth your CREDIT SCORE going down.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I attempted to pay off the $75 balance on my credit card using the Avant website. The website would not allow a payment over $40, which makes no sense. I called and spoke with 2 agents who could not process a $75 payment. Credit cards charge interest by the day so Avant not accepting my payment means they will make more money off of me. This sounds very illegal.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

The people answering the phone on the other end are just plain uneducated. They read off the computer screen with absolutely no idea what they are reading. It's a foreign call center, same old story. I tried to get a supervisor for 45 minutes, disconnected twice and then finally got one and she was as incompetent as the people she was supervising. Then beware. They hit my credit report with a hard inquiry even after they said they wouldn't and I had not even finished the application. Credit Karma should be ashamed of themselves for recommending this company! Run away from this company.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Applied for a loan due to a prompt from Credit Karma stating it was a match with my credit criteria. I filled out the applications and was asked to upload Tax fillings and photo identification. It took me 2 days to collect the needed info and when I tried upload it showed my application was closed. I called the customer service number and was told that I denied based on the info I uploaded. When I asked what info they received the agent said “I’m so sorry“ that’s was his answer and his answer to every question I asked from that point forward leading to believe that this was a English as a second language agent or better off known as a overseas agent. I’m sick and tired of overseas companies collecting my information that I know they will use in the future to sell or solicit other products to me. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have a good payment history with Avant. I recently applied for a loan at Avant to be denied right away after uploading my requested documents. I recently paid off a loan for $13,000. The loan was paid off a year early. I never was late. When I called to ask about the reason behind it, they couldn't tell me why! The customer representative said that they email me the denial but I never received the emailed. The reason why this is so upsetting is because they send you these false emails telling you that you're pre approved due to a good history with them. You upload all your information to be denied with no reason why!

The first time I received a loan from them they didn't ask for anything! They basically threw money at me. I was approved right away! But now they making it harder for those who have a good history to reapply! My credit score is Great! Wouldn't recommend this to anyone! Customer service representatives are hard to understand and they repeat themselves when you asked them a question!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Well on Dec 6 I was trying to pay my loan off for 945. After I talked to about 4 different reps that couldn't even find my account so finally talked to a supervisor that sounded like she was eating KFC extra crispy chicken while speaking with me then finally retrieve my account for me to pay it off and get Avant the hell out of my life after 3 yrs. So she tell me my loan of 945 was paid then find out 3 days later they took 845 and left with 101 balance that should've be already withdrawn but didn't. So if anyone ever have apply for a loan do not apply with these jerks.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I recently applied for a debt consolidation loan through Avant. I deal with finance companies on a daily basis with my job and this is by far the most difficult company I have ever dealt with. No one at this company talks to anyone else and you have to tell them over and over again everything they ask and then they keep asking for more and more documentation. Most companies have a calculator and can figure out your pay from your most recent paystub and looking at your year to date pay. Apparently Avant has not invested in calculators at their offices yet.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I was given great approval odds from Credit Sesame to apply with no impact on credit score. LIES. After my denial which I'm glad after reading reviews I get an email saying that my credit score decreased due to the credit inquiry and that I needed to contact Avant if I disagree. It was supposed to be no hard inquiry and it dropped my score by 5 points. Nope I'm not happy.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

First they wanted my login and password for my checking account. I told them NO. So they would accept a bank statement instead. This was for verification of my income. Again I told them NO. So next, my SS statement on what my monthly check amount is. That is where it stands now. Then I read the reviews for them and I will NOT continue with the application. And hopefully they will stop calling me every day.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

These people quickly instantly PRE-approved me with 1000 CL. Credit Sesame told me my odds were very good. I had 658 Fico, 659 TU score and 701 Exp score. They took 24 hours delay then canceled me. The only debt I have is my mortgage and vehicle loan, 9 credit cards with 100 percent paid off status and never late. I will NEVER apply again through Credit Sesame again, my credit has gone down 5 points with a inquiry that will stay for 2 years now because of misleading info. We all know Avant partners with Credit Sesame and they probably get a kickback for recommendations. I thought Credit Sesame was here to help but was wrong the whole time.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Almost every purchase I go to make is declined and then I receive a notice of potential fraud. This is extremely annoying. I will be paying off this card and closing it out from there. Something else that is very frustrating is that they hold your payments for 5 days - no matter the amount. That's absurd!

Avant expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Avant, formerly AvantCredit is a personal loan company that’s helped 350,000 customers. Borrowers can access between $2,000 and $35,000 for debt consolidation, home improvement and/or emergencies. The company has a 96% satisfaction rating.

• Online features: In just a few minutes, prospective borrowers can complete an online application. If approved, the loan can be funded by the next business day. If borrowers aren't ready to apply, they can get personalized rates, which won't impact their credit score.

• Transparent fees: Transparent late or missed payment penalties.

• Credit building: Avant gives borrowers an opportunity to build credit with on time payments and without collateral.

• Available customer service: The customer service reps at Avant Credit are available 7 days a week to help customers by phone.

• Courtesy due date adjustments: Avant offers courtesy due date adjustments in case a customer cannot make an upcoming payment.

• Best for: Individuals looking to refinance debt, planning a home improvement project or those facing an unexpected expenses.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg