2. Finance
  3. Personal Loans
ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.61/5

Avant Reviews

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I don't understand all of the bad reviews. I had a quick and easy loan process with no hiccups. Yes, the interest rate is high but is on par with most of these personal loan companies. The website and customer service is customer friendly and easy to deal with. I would highly recommend this company for a personal loan. Always read carefully the loan documents with any company before accepting. I have not had any issues with Avant and would use them again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I applied for a loan through Avant a few years ago. Thankfully I was approved for 3000 that was more than enough and received my funds directly into my account. I have been reading some horrible reviews that doesn't reflect my experience. So I decided to write my own experience. The customer service were always polite when I called to make a payment. My payment was always on time and I honestly would rather get another loan through them Than any other place. I felt they were honest and I was able to make payments via phone instead of direct deduction from my account. I never felt they were screwing me over.

They didn't have to give me a loan because my situation at the time was not good. But it made me so eagered to pay them back because I was so grateful. I would highly recommend Avant for a loan. Just make your payments as agreed and guess what if you aren't able to make a payment just call their customer service number and they will be willing to help you. I am a real customer.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I had a good experience with Avant. The only glitch being communication. They would call me while at work leaving a message to call them. I would call them back and the automated message would refer me to my dashboard at the website to complete a task, but there were no tasks to complete. I sent an email giving them times when they could reach me but they continued to call while I was at work. Finally, I found a way around the automation by punching buttons and got my problem resolved. It would help if they would ask best times to call.

Original review: June 16, 2019

Recently I missed my DD payment to AVANTCard credit card as I was a few € short (I had 2540 not 2550 in the ac) and my bank KBC refused to honour the payment. Avant card fees amounted to some €60 for the missed payment but when I rang and explained - they very kindly agreed to cancel. This I honestly didn't expect so HATS off to AVANTCard for having the imagination and humanity to realise that anybody can make a mistake. MANY thanks.

Original review: April 27, 2019

Applied for a personal loan after reviewing options on Lending Tree. Avant was very quick on reviewing my application and walking me through the process to provide them with all the required extra documentation. After being approved the loan was direct deposited into my bank the next day and I am very impressed with how quickly it was done. All in all, this process was so much easier than I thought it would be and I would recommend this to anyone that I know that needs a personal loan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avant?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

***BUYER BEWARE. I applied for a consolidation loan and was told after one year if my payments were on time, my rate would be lowered. I had concerns but the person over the phone assured me it would be lowered. I also signed up for automatic loan repayments. I followed their instructions and my incredibly high interest rate was not lowered. The rate remains incredibly high. I called and was told they could lower it but my loan would be extended. To me this is illegal and usury. Do not get a loan with this company at all. Go with someone else. Avoid the headache. This company is based in Chicago and we all know the history of Chicago.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Do not do business with this company, the customer service & management is horrible. Please read the fine print. They charge a $118 admin fee for this loan and the interest is very high. The customer service is horrible. The agents are very smart mouth and sassy. Customers are not valued. I talked with a young man of Latin origin by the name of Brain, he was the supervisor, his attitude was not friendly & very sassy. I spoke with a young lady before asking for the supervisor, and she also very sassy. The supervisor would not give me the name or number to his boss. The Avant Twitter & Facebook page does not allow you to leave bad reviews. We are also unable to leave comments on their personal web page. The company does not communicate well and it is difficult to get the help you need.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

What these clowns did is go into my account without permission and take money from my account. Now mind you I only use it for direct deposit of my work checks and since I've been off sick my balance was low, but I paid that's fools already from another account this putting me in the negative. I called and they got these non Americans on here who can barely read a page from a kids books assisting me. Long story short I had to get the bank involved and I'm in the process of filing a class action lawsuit. This isn't the first time the idiots did this. Do like Forest Gump and Run Forest Run!???

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I WISH I COULD GIVE NO STARS!! RUN. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!!! I was told by a customer service agent that I had to make a payment by today to prevent my account from being charged off. I called to make the payment today then I was told I had to pay a higher amount than what I was told 4 days ago. I was then put on hold and offered a discount settlement amount after letting the agent know that I just wanted to pay the amount I was told was due 4 days ago and then pick up my normal monthly payments next month. Again I was put on hold.

She came back and told me that nobody put in any notes and insisted that I pay the higher amount. After telling the agent again what I was told I had to pay 4 days prior by today she put me on another hold. Then she came back on the phone and told me they charged off my account today as of 12 am (when they're not open) and that I was suppose to make the payment yesterday so that it would've posted today (this was my 1st time hearing this). I asked to speak to a supervisor and the supervisor told me that she couldn't reverse it and she would have to listen to the call. She never offered to listen to it while I was on the phone. I'm just going to have to dispute this with all 3 credit bureaus asap. I'll never do business with this company and wouldn't ever ever ever recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Obtained initial loan a year prior, they emailed me about Re-Fi or adding additional funds. I opted for additional funds as I had a retainer due for Lawyer cost, the approval date they gave me wouldn't fit the date I needed to submit retainer so I canceled the application while on the phone with Avant. They pulled my normal payment from prior loan from the wrong account as I had canceled the loan with them again while I was still speaking with them on the phone. I asked to have the money refunded to the account and pulled from the correct account and they instructed me to cancel the payment with my Bank.

I asked to speak with a "Manager" Jen or Jenny and she was ridiculous, reading of a Quo card and I recorded our conversation and informed her I was recording after I realized she was lying to me about correcting the problem. I asked her to send me email stating what she was doing to assist me and she said she couldn't do that...WHAT??? The only correspondence I've received regarding this issue is aggressive emails demanding the payment I stopped at their advice. I've emailed different customer service emails instructing the money be pulled from the initial/correct account and have heard nothing. This is BAD business and they need to be investigated.

Not sure about Avant?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Personal Loans for you.

Avant expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Avant, formerly AvantCredit is a personal loan company that’s helped 350,000 customers. Borrowers can access between $2,000 and $35,000 for debt consolidation, home improvement and/or emergencies. The company has a 96% satisfaction rating.

• Online features: In just a few minutes, prospective borrowers can complete an online application. If approved, the loan can be funded by the next business day. If borrowers aren't ready to apply, they can get personalized rates, which won't impact their credit score.

• Transparent fees: Transparent late or missed payment penalties.

• Credit building: Avant gives borrowers an opportunity to build credit with on time payments and without collateral.

• Available customer service: The customer service reps at Avant Credit are available 7 days a week to help customers by phone.

• Courtesy due date adjustments: Avant offers courtesy due date adjustments in case a customer cannot make an upcoming payment.

• Best for: Individuals looking to refinance debt, planning a home improvement project or those facing an unexpected expenses.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor