2.46/5
Based on 98 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a personal loan company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

98 Avant Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I was given great approval odds from Credit Sesame to apply with no impact on credit score. LIES. After my denial which I'm glad after reading reviews I get an email saying that my credit score decreased due to the credit inquiry and that I needed to contact Avant if I disagree. It was supposed to be no hard inquiry and it dropped my score by 5 points. Nope I'm not happy.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

First they wanted my login and password for my checking account. I told them NO. So they would accept a bank statement instead. This was for verification of my income. Again I told them NO. So next, my SS statement on what my monthly check amount is. That is where it stands now. Then I read the reviews for them and I will NOT continue with the application. And hopefully they will stop calling me every day.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

These people quickly instantly PRE-approved me with 1000 CL. Credit Sesame told me my odds were very good. I had 658 Fico, 659 TU score and 701 Exp score. They took 24 hours delay then canceled me. The only debt I have is my mortgage and vehicle loan, 9 credit cards with 100 percent paid off status and never late. I will NEVER apply again through Credit Sesame again, my credit has gone down 5 points with a inquiry that will stay for 2 years now because of misleading info. We all know Avant partners with Credit Sesame and they probably get a kickback for recommendations. I thought Credit Sesame was here to help but was wrong the whole time.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Almost every purchase I go to make is declined and then I receive a notice of potential fraud. This is extremely annoying. I will be paying off this card and closing it out from there. Something else that is very frustrating is that they hold your payments for 5 days - no matter the amount. That's absurd!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Had great experience. Always very helpful and professional, me a chance when others were not willing. I always use online pay. Very easy and post to account fast. Would recommend to anyone I personally know. Thanks so very much.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avant?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I literally just spent a week attempting to get a loan from this company, yes a week, it's not the next day as they advertise. NOTE: They "first check your credit score" <=== and only move forward if they can work with it. They then asked me for the following: I sent them the bank statement, sent them the voided check, sent them the 2016 and 2017 tax documents DIRECTLY from my personal tax person, which clearly had everything there. AND every night I got the same call "we need the schedule C" pg 2, for both years" on my businesses. I explained there is no schedule C page 2 for both. They then repeated the same script every night that they needed the 2016 and 2017 tax transcripts, every night same thing they'd recite to me.

I exclaimed we are both currently looking at my 2016 and 2017 tax documents, correct? They'd say yes. I'd advise that these were sent directly from my tax preparer. They then would say I need to go to the IRS site, I said I don't need to go to the IRS site. You have the ones that were accepted by the IRS sent directly from my tax preparer. Then they'd repeat again to me we still need the schedule "C page 2", I exclaimed once again literally yelling over the phone there is no other schedule C! This is the set in its entirety. Hair pulling frustration, the customer reps don't understand what they are reviewing, first of all, their English is broken, and they just recite the same script to you every day.

Here is the laughable part, the girl then just humors me and says ok we have everything, which is what they tell you EVERY night at the end of the conversation. Only to finally put me out of my misery by sending an email "denying me", not because I couldn't provide supporting documents, but because of my "credit score" of course, which btw is at about average. Lastly, their software system is so buggy and bad it doesn't receive uploaded documents in most cases, I used both Safari and Chrome to make sure it wasn't on my end.

Also, I am not writing this because they denied me, I'm writing this because they made me go through all of the effort and added frustration over a week's period when they could have denied me from the very beginning upon initial review of the credit score! I'm fairly confident It wasn't because of the score. It was because of their incompetent employees that barely speak English and don't know how to read tax documents, and my frustration that lead to yelling over the phone. Good luck and read all reviews.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Never had any issues with them until my loan was PAID OFF. And you’d think that once a debt is paid they would be JUST AS efficient and EAGER about releasing your title as they are about snatching your monthly payments. Never missed a payment. Never late. Never hassled them. They claimed to have mailed my title. Never got it. They verified the address with me, correct. Then I submitted a request for it to be emailed, then to find out that the young lady put in wrong request. Drove an hour to DMV. Called in and requested that Avant fax it directly to DMV while I am standing here and the SUPERVISOR on the phone after 2 escalations tell me he has to do research on the account.

All of your systems should read that this car was paid off along with the paperwork I have in hand states 10-10-17... it is a YEAR later and I’m simply asking for a lien released and this guy tells me he has to do RESEARCH?!? Are you kidding me??? Insane. Please DO NOT borrow anything from Avant using anything for collateral because you will be hassled and go thru hell trying to get your title.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I took out a loan 2 years ago with Avant. In Sept of this year 2018 I tried to get a payoff quote from them. I wanted to send them one check. The woman on the phone that I spent an hour with said that I had a Sept payment due and that they would need that and then they could issue me my payoff. What? I told her I just want to send one check, why is that so difficult to understand? So she said she would have to send it to their back office. I got an email from the back office and guess what, the payoff was the same thing she said, a payment of 549 plus the payoff balance.

This company is so difficult. So I sent a check for the entire amount and now here in Oct they are saying I still owe them a payment for my Oct payment. I am now going to send them a demand letter, as I do not trust them. They can't even give me a balance amount that is on my account because even though they received my payoff check last month, their system is showing I still owe them a payment. Don't do business with these crooks, they cannot be trusted.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I applied for Avant several times (5 times to be exact) and was approved quite a few times ($4K, $7K, $6K twice and $3K), and paying off the loans less than a year each time. Do not have any bad marks on my credit and always pay my bills on time. I considered them my go to lender if I needed anything up until now. Now I can't even get anything from them. I think it sucks that you always paid them on time, never late, and fair credit and you still can't get anything from them.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

This was the absolute worst experience I've ever had with a lender before in my life. They were even worse than One Main. I would have never applied if it weren't for Credit Karma saying that I had "excellent approval odds." That got my hopes up high, and then these knuckleheads told me that I was preapproved for $4,600. I was going to use to consolidate things a bit and perhaps pay for a downpayment to rent a larger property.

They made me send in photos of myself and my driver's license, two income tax transcripts, pay stubs from self-employment AND regular employment, and a bank statement, which I think is extremely personal. None of their "specialists" knew anything. They drove me crazy asking me to gather information, and they didn't even know how to read my income tax statement. They didn't understand how to decipher self-employment income, so they assumed that I made NO money all year long. WHAT?

Long story short, I should have been approved for the loan, but I wasn't. Now I have a two-year ding on my credit report and a lower score than I had before I dealt with these incompetent fools. Of course, I'm upset because I got declined, but I'm even more upset that it took them two or three days to figure it out. Maybe they need more training if they don't know how to calculate a person's income when they do self-employment and regular employment. Other lenders can tell you that in 60 second if you qualify, and you don't have to send them a bunch of personal information. Credit Karma is going to hear it from me too because they should stop advertising these lies.

If you value your credit score and your sanity, do not apply with these people. The whole "excellent approval odds" and "pre-approval" nonsense is a scam that will mess you up if you take it seriously. Don't take my word for it. Read the countless negative reviews from other people, who have much better credit than I have, who have said the same thing about them. Don't give these people your information, at all.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Avant is a high-interest loan provider. I have had a loan with them for 3 years. Perfect pay history and the account is being reported as paid as agreed. Creditors don't like to see high-interest accounts on your credit file and when they do they consider the consumer a high risk. Because I am not paying 2 or more extra monthly installment payments my Avant account is a factor that is having a negative effect on my credit score. Balance left owing is too high in relation to original loan amount is the reason factor. Stay away from high-interest loans.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I took out a loan with Avant in March 2015. Very simple and quick process, they automatically deposited $5000 into my checking account. My interest rate was a bit steep...19.2-percent and the monthly payment amount...$185.60. During this loan, lost my job, so they lowered my interest rate to 6-percent and reduced my payment to $92.80 for 6-months. Well, for whatever reason my August 2018 payment was for only $25 and my last payment, September 24, 2018 was for $185.60.

After logging into my account yesterday, I notice that there is still an outstanding balance owed...$16.09. That $16.09 is NOT shown anywhere in my payment schedule. I call the 800 number and end up speaking to someone overseas, Ruel, says he is in Chicago and he is the manager, "no one above him" and continues to say that I HAVE to pay the balance of $16.09, although he can't explain it. After several minutes, I tell him that I want to speak to someone that speaks good English, he confesses that he cannot pass me back to the US, that I must hang up and dial 800 number back and hopefully it'll get me someone in Chicago. When I call him out as a LIAR, why did he lie about being in Chicago and being the head honcho... He disconnects. BAD, BAD BUSINESS practices. PREDATORY LENDING!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I applied for an Avant credit card to better my credit score. Applying was simple and I was granted $500. I used $104 off of the card and paid the total amount back. This was my first use of the card. My Avant online account continued to show that I owed another $51 dollars. The $104 dollars that I paid back was not posted back to the account.The online account continued to show that I had access to $396. It never showed that I made the payment. What Avant is doing to people is criminal. What Avant don't understand about me is that I am going to pay them what I owe and that's it. They are not going to screw me with their heartless, rotten schemes. I have cut up my card, and I am not paying them another dime, because I don't owe them another dime. I closed out my account. They can honor my request or do whatever they want to do. One thing is sure. They won't get any more money from me.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Just to stress, I do not have any animosity because I was declined. It's solely due to the incompetence of agents, lack of time you have to get documentation in & the process of getting a loan with this company that is a joke as you will soon read. Your experience might be different. I was looking around, for a loan and came across Avant. I applied and was pre-approved for $4700 at an absurd interest rate of 30%. But that is not important because of what the money was going to be utilized for. It didn't matter what the rate was. I accept the agreements I need to proceed and a hard inquiry is done.

Now at this point with most other loan companies such as Best Egg, your approval is based on your ability to get in the documents you need. This was clearly not the case with Avant as I was still declined even after sending everything in. Additionally, it will take them up to 30 days to send you a statement of reasons as to why you were declined.

Back to the experience: I see the documents I need and send them all in with the expectation that this process will be over within 2 days or at least the same day. Here is where the problems begin. I get a call from Avant stating I need to send in more documents, they need to see all the pages in the bank statement. Okay, not a problem I send them in.

I get another call the following day stating they need an additional paystub for a bonus I received. I inform the agent that I do not have that paystub, but you can see from the bank statement the bonus deposit date. They stated they are unable to use it and that it needs to be a paystub. I inform the agent that is the only paystub I do not have and will have to request it and will not be able to get it in till Tuesday at the earliest. It is then brought to my attention that the applications are only good for 7 days. You heard that right 7 DAYS then it expires and wouldn't you know Tuesday just happens to be the same day it expires. I tell the agent I'm not going to bother sending anything else in seeing as though it will expire before I can get the paystub.

The application expires. I get an email stating I'm declined. I call Avant and speak with a manager. The manager address the situation is sympathetic and gives me instructions on how to continue. She stays on the phone with me through the entire process and says she personally will make sure it gets to the review manager. She is the only reason that I rated this company 2 stars.

The next day comes, I get a call from Avant stating that the application was sent back because at this point one of my paystubs is now too old to use and that is why it was sent back. I tell the agent I will get a new paystub in, once I do, I call in to confirm it's there and another agent says we have everything we need. I will send this up for the final review. The next day at the time of this posting I get an email stating I'm declined with no reasoning but with a number to call. I call that number and they tell me they do not know the reasoning and the review managers only respond via email. The agent says he will let the review manager know and I will get a reason within 30 days.

While I did leave out a lot of things from this for the sake of the shorter review you can expect that during your application process unless instantly approved, you will get a majority of people who don't speak English that well and you will have to deal with a lot of misinformation and lack of communication between these agents. Just as an example, I had to talk with 3 or 4 different agents just to get an understanding that I was receiving 2 separate paystubs. One for my bi-weekly wage the other as a monthly bonus. I will never even attempt to get another loan with this company and you shouldn't either unless you want the headache of dealing with incompetent people all day.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

One year ago, I paid off a loan with Avant in full, making all my payments on time. Having a daughter with significant medical expenses, I thought I would give them another try and take out a loan to cover these costs. For over a week, I received an email every day stating that more information was necessary to process my application. Every day, I would call in, and the representative would tell me that nothing else was in fact needed, and that I would receive a decision in 24 hours. After 10 days, I got an email stating that my application expired and I was subsequently denied. Waste of time and a credit hit.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Avant expressly prohibits customers from changing their address online. Customers are required to call in order to change their address. I have made two attempts to change my address with customer service, his telephone. Each time they have refused to change it. I escalated the second call to a supervisor who read the address back to me. This tells me it's in their computer but still refuse to use it as my address. They want to know if I am buying or renting, is this a long-term or short-term location, among other questions. This information is none of their business, is not a condition of my loan to provide this detail, and the post office doesn't care. Since I refuse to give them personal details, that I feel they do not need to know, they refuse to change the address on my account.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

If it were possible to give a company negative stars, Avant would qualify for that review. In all of my years, I have never dealt with such incompetence. I have had a loan with Avant for over two years and have never missed a payment. When I received an unsolicited email asking if I would like to refinance my current loan to lower my payments, I completed the application. Keep in mind, I have been a current customer for the past two plus years and have my payment automatically deducted from my bank account each month. After completing the application and submitting the necessary paperwork, I have been told for six days straight that they are unable to verify my date of birth.

Question number one... how did you verify it when I applied for the first loan? Question number two... Many things can change over time that you might have to verify such as my bank account, my employment status and my address however my date of birth has never changed. I decided to send them the copy of my driver's license as requested, still giving this horrible company the benefit of the doubt. I sent them not one, not two, but three different copies of my driver's license and went to check on the status of my loan this morning and guess what...THEY ARE UNABLE TO VERIFY MY DATE OF BIRTH. Do you think that they hire individuals who are unable to read??? If you ever want to have any peace of mind, do not EVER contact this company. I will continue to pay my current loan and hopefully can pay it off sooner than expected to get away from this incompetent organization.

Original review: July 18, 2018

This company is a mess. I tried to complete application online and there was a dispute about my DOB. I sent in documentation and it was accepted so I kept waiting for more info. Days would go by and I would call and they would immediately ask for documentation of my DOB. So I would tell them that it was already on file and they would place me on hold. Then tell me that I would receive an answer in 24hrs and this kept going on and on for over a week. Oh and one time they hung up on me twice after putting me on hold.

The last time I lost it on the person and she put me on hold for 15 minutes and when she came back she said I would receive an email shortly. Magically I receive an email that I was denied. Ha! I am counting myself lucky that I didn't receive the loan through the **. When you move a company overseas, that are reading off a script, can't take basics notes and follow up with the same script over and over again. What do you expect. I do not have bad credit, I own my own home, I've had a stable job for 18 plus years. This was insane and I'm sorry I wasted my time.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I contacted Avant over a year ago for fraud. They showed up on my credit report and I have never applied to this company nor have I heard of them up until then. They emailed me a 6 page document which I have to fill out in detail along with all my personal information. I don't know who these people are but they sound like loan sharks. I'm forwarding everything to the local police department and my attorney. He can argue with them. My advice... STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I should have read the reviews before I wasted my time! It happen just like everyone said! After receiving the letter, spending time doing exactly what they said, minutes after being on hold for 15 minutes they sent an email stating I was denied! And now I have a new check on my credit report!! Don't try to get a loan, they stink!!

Original review: June 6, 2018

They the worst creditor ever faced, as part of application I was mentioned I am approved for certain loan amount and asked to submit documentation to support my application. Thereafter they simply denied my loan application and when asked for reason they told they will be sending in mail and I need to wait for 2-3 weeks. In mail they simply mentioned "unable to verify identity" and when I called (customer care people were so rude) them to understand the reason if I miss on any documentation they simply asked me to get in touch with TransUnion to know the reason. Upon calling TransUnion, they confirmed all information is correct on my report. Also during communication with AVANT they keep mentioning they do understand my frustration and keep asking me to apply again - instead of extending help. Never gonna refer them...

Original review: May 23, 2018

BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY AS THEY CHARGE ADDITIONAL INTEREST TO CUSTOMERS WHILE THEY TAKE THEIR TIME IN PROCESSING PAYMENTS for payoff's!!! I opened a personal loan with Avant in May of 2017 and had payments auto drafted from my account. I got a payoff quote from Avant's dashboard for payoff on May 11, 2018 which stated the payoff amount was $18,141.18. I sent Avant 2 checks overnight through the United States Post Office, one check for $18,057.00 and a second check for $84.18 which brings us to the total of $18,141.18 which was the payoff quote provided directly by Avant. I received a call from an Avant rep on 5/16/18 inquiring about the payment at which time I explained that the checks had been sent to payoff the loan. The rep stated that she would push the date of payoff out to 5/25/18, I did not request this push out.

I received a email from Avant on 5/22/18 stating a payment of $84.36 was due on 5/25/18 so I checked my Avant account and found that both checks for payoff had been received by Avant. I then called customer service where a foreign speaking rep stated I had returned payments, I stated that was not the case as my payments were auto drafted, I was then put on a hold for several minutes at which time he came back and stated I owed additional money for interest due to Avant had not processed my payment until 5/21/18 however my payment had been received the week prior.

NOW I'm being told that I owe additional money due to Avant not processing my payoff until the 5/21/18. I then asked to speak with a manager who in turn was NO HELP in getting anything resolved as she provided me with 3 different amounts that would close my account. The email from Avant shows I owe an additional $84.36, the automated Avant phone system says I owe an additional $84.29 and the manager stated that I owe an additional $58.94. My account was open less than 12 months on a 36 month loan that was PAID OFF by the amount provided by AVANT and now Avant is attempting to collect additional money due to their inability to process payoff's in a timely manner. I have ALL DOCUMENTS provided by Avant showing my payoff amount.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I acquired a personal loan from Avant on November 3, 2014. The loan was for $3500 for 30 months and my interest rate was within their advertised rates between 9.95% and 35.99%. My payment amount was $245.96. I made this payment for several months until I was no longer able to work due to a disability so I requested my payment be lowered. My loan was redone and I was told it would be extended for 6 months with a payment of $175.00. On December 21, 2017, I was curious as to why I was still getting my payments deducted from my checking account so I contacted Avant and they emailed me a statement of my account. After 37 months I had only paid $40.81 toward my principal and $4591.32 was put toward interest.

The paperwork also showed I was paying 64.5% interest on this loan and the term was 50 months. I called customer service and told them I never agreed to a loan with an interest rate of 64.5% and a 50 month term. They said considering my excellent payment history a modification could be made to the loan to get it paid off. They had me contact the resolution department so for the past month I have been going back and forth with the customer service department and the resolution department, however, they will not assist me in adjusting this loan. I have requested documentation of me agreeing to this high interest rate and 50 month loan term numerous times to no avail.

They keep sending me an email stating they are within their legal right which I find unbelievable. I do not understand how a company can do this without the consumers' approval. I do not understand and cannot believe it is legal to charge 64.5% interest and misrepresent my loan agreement. I never agreed to a 50 month loan at 64.5% interest. I cant believe after 37 months of paying $175.00 per month and missing no payments they only applied $40.81 to my principal. They indicated my pay off amount on December 21, 2017 would be $4566.49. If I continue paying this at the rate they are expecting my total of payments for a $3500 loan will be over $9000. I am not sure you can do anything to assist me but I wanted to at least file this complaint. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

My husband and I filled out for a loan to be pre-approved. There was info we still needed to be verified. My husband stop at the point where he needed paystubs. We felt the interest rate was high we did not finish the application. 2 days later I have 11,050.00 in my bank account. Shocked I called Avant. I was on the phone for an hour explaining I did not want this loan. I was told I needed to pay 450.00 processing fee to send the loan back. I can't believe I have to pay 450.00 for their mistake. This loan operation is a joke. I could barely understand the 4 people I had to talk to. I was told I needed to email the resolutions department to get answers. I was also told I would have to pay interest daily on this loan. I am forced to pay money to this company to take the money out of my account. No matter how desperate you are find another lender or you too will regret your decision.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I’m set up on a monthly payment plan with Avant - to make payment automatically. But you have the options to make your payment early so I do. I have been doing this day 1 of my loan with AVANT and so now they do double payment for the month of January!!! On no biggi. Just call and get this cleared up. RIGHT!!! WRONG!!!! They're like, "Sorry we can’t give the my payment back!!!" So long story short stay away if you can’t be straight with your customers!! The one who make your business!!! You should not be in business!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I went Online to get help and a Loan to Help me after the Hurricanes. After receiving PRE-APPROVED Letter I went to my accountant and Paid to have last two years pulled and 3 months of bank statements. Then went to my mailbox to send documents and was denied before sending to them. Waste of my time.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

Consolidation loans - The interest rate is Actually higher than the debt itself Plus hundreds of dollars in administrative fees. Wow! People actually get loans from you. This is abhorrent usery. I'm totally yelping this. I have a good credit score. I can't even begin to imagine how you ripoff people with serious debt.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I love this company. I applied for a loan I think in 2014 because I needed an operation. The representative who worked with me was very knowledgeable. He made me feel like family. Needless to say I received the funds in a prompt no hassle way. Thank you Avant for trusting me.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY! I applied for a loan through Credit Karma after being told I was QUALIFIED for a $2000 loan. I filled in all the required information and hit send. Then the problems began. I was next asked to provide a standard list of documents, which I provided immediately. Then the phone calls started. Two to three a day asking to verify additional information on my account.

After the first few days of providing, bank statements, pay stubs, a driver's license, etc. I began to hear that my birthdate was inaccurate. Mind you, I had provided my driver's license with my birthdate on it which matched the date on my application. I spoke to someone personally FIVE TIMES over the course of TWO DAYS, reminding them that the date I just told them matched both the date on my application and the date on my driver's license. Then they started asking for a copy of my driver's license, again. Each time I would be put on hold anywhere from 5-10 minutes while they checked their records.

In the end I flat out told them that their customer service was awful, that they should really take better notes for their files, and that I hoped they used the recordings of our conversations to improve the service. I was told that everything looked good and I would receive an email with the funding details. Five minutes later I got an email declining my application. I guess they didn't appreciate my candor regarding the horrid process. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!

Resolution response: Oct. 17, 2018

Since my last review, I have neglected to update. I have been a customer of Avant's. They run a straight forward business and as long as you keep your terms, you're all set. You can pay off early and avoid a lot of interest. Again, as long as you make your payments on time, you'll never have a problem. Keep in mind, you can only have one Web Bank product at a time. They helped me out of a mess and even though I paid a high interest rate, they were there when I needed them.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Whatever you do, please don't waste your precious time dealing with Avant Loan Company, a division of Web Bank. My nightmare began with Avant offering me a personal, unsecured loan of $10,800. It started easy enough, applying online, giving them information, etc. As the days went on, Avant wanted more and more information. I spent over $50.00 in faxes at Staples and the UPS Store. I had to send a 20 page bank statement twice because the first wasn't clear enough, according to an Avant Clerk. Each day for over a week, they requested more and more documentation. Documentation that was previously sent, they wanted it again. Phone calls daily explaining things that I already explained to another person.

As time went on, my loan EXPIRED and I had to reapply. Keeping up with the torture test, I reapplied and was told by a Loan Approver, Raven, that the only document they needed, that was holding up my loan, was page 2 of my bank statement that I had previously sent twice. I immediately uploaded it to my account. Sure enough, the next day, another loan processor called to talk about income and income verification. That was after I sent copies of bank statements, payroll checks and award letters. These did not seem to be good enough for Avant. They wanted to re-hash old business and talk about banks I had income going to and apply more torture.

Honestly, folks, you really don't want to get involved with this process. If you need money that bad, please try another source. YOU DON'T NEED THIS TYPE OF TORTURE!!! YOU ARE TREATED LIKE A CRIMINAL UNDER FEDERAL INDICTMENT... The bait and switch of Avant is another story. They initially offered me 10,800 for 36 months at a total APR of 25.99%... After a week of going back and forth, the new loan was $7500 at almost 30%... Notice how the principal went down and the APR went up. Thievery.

I am completely frustrated and cannot believe Web Bank allows this painful process to go on and on and on... The customer service people are very difficult to understand at times with a harsh dialect and they have no problem putting you on hold for 5 or 10 minutes with music on hold that sounds like the background of a naughty movie. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH TO STAY CLEAR OF AVANT... They will suck the living life out of your soul, bait and switch you and aggravate you beyond your wildest imagination. They are not in the business to treat customers like customers. They are in the business to treat applicants like criminals. I am so mad at myself for getting involved with this process. I should have known better.

Avant expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Avant, formerly AvantCredit is a personal loan company that’s helped 350,000 customers. Borrowers can access between $2,000 and $35,000 for debt consolidation, home improvement and/or emergencies. The company has a 96% satisfaction rating.

• Online features: In just a few minutes, prospective borrowers can complete an online application. If approved, the loan can be funded by the next business day. If borrowers aren't ready to apply, they can get personalized rates, which won't impact their credit score.

• Transparent fees: Transparent late or missed payment penalties.

• Credit building: Avant gives borrowers an opportunity to build credit with on time payments and without collateral.

• Available customer service: The customer service reps at Avant Credit are available 7 days a week to help customers by phone.

• Courtesy due date adjustments: Avant offers courtesy due date adjustments in case a customer cannot make an upcoming payment.

• Best for: Individuals looking to refinance debt, planning a home improvement project or those facing an unexpected expenses.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg