3.9/5 (257 ratings)

Check Your Personal Loan Rates

It's free and won't impact your credit score

About Avant

Avant provides personal loans and credit cards with no hidden fees. Its personal loans range from $2,000 to $35,000, with annual percentage rates (APRs) between 9.95% and 35.99% and term lengths from 12 to 60 months. Many customers receive loan funds the next business day. Avant credit cards have an annual fee of $0 to $59 and a credit limit of up to $2,000.

Find Personal Loans partners near you

Pros

• Flexible loan terms
    • Mobile apps for iOS and Android
    • Fixed payments

Cons

• High administration fees and APRs

Bottom Line

Avant is a loan company that specializes in lending to middle-income borrowers. The company offers debt consolidation and personal loans, as well as emergency and renovation loans.

Avant Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avant?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avant?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

A credit card company that you can’t call? I have wasted so much time this last month trying to reach a human being. The only way you can talk to someone is if you’re reporting the card lost or stolen and then they pass the info on. The company without warning put charges back on my account from 7 months ago from fraudulent charges and now want a police report. The timeframe is ridiculous but if they would’ve at least called me or giving me a heads up but now my accounts negative now. I don’t know what’s gonna happen with payments now. It might’ve messed up my credit score. I don’t even know. And the fact that they’re the ones that noticed the charges in the first place and let me know and now suddenly they’re suspicious? Huge Mistake going with Avant.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I paid my Avant credit card balance in FULL on August 3, 2022. Avant accepted my payment on August 4,2022. Avant still has not promptly added the funds to my available credit still to this day. I have contacted Avant customer service and tells me that it can take days for a payment to post. Why are they holding payments they already accepted for? I called, I emailed and they keep stating it will be 7 to 10 to post. But you posted my payment on the account so why not just add the darn payment when it was accepted?.

I don't know why Avant wants to hold payments in this day and age where everything is digital. Even the checks I write for my rent gets canceled the very next day. Because the apartment complex does digital checking and it is sent as soon as it is photo copied and sent to the bank digitally. I believe Avant is holding funds so they can still charge interest or fees. Oh wait they are no longer allowed to do that if they already accepted payment. They are no longer allowed to charge over the limit fees if payment has posted to account and not yet set up on available credit. I think they may be facing another class action law suit or a fine by the FTC again.

Original review: June 20, 2022

Updated on 7/4/2022: It's the 4th of July and Avant has blocked my card yet again. My currently balance is 10% of the entire limit. I called and they are closed for the holiday. Ironic. If, I closed the account it reflects badly on my credit. There has to be a way for Avant to be held accountable for doing this. It makes absolutely no sense to continue to block a card that has only 10% of its limit used. There has to be a way to get help out of this card and hold Avant accountable. I would like to give them a 0 rating.

Original review: Avant blocked my credit card 2x in 3 months. The first time that it happened, I thought it was just a blip. I called and it was resolved right away. My card has 0 balance and I tried to use it today only for it to be blocked. I called and was told that I had to wait for 1-10 days before I could use it. Is this legal? What if I had an emergency, like a tow truck? I would have been stuck. Avant does this and you are not notified via email, text or phone that your card is locked. How can this be legal?

Original review: May 15, 2022

Avant blocked my account for fraud. I did not report it as lost or stolen. Avant put a block on my card. I have a medical emergency and need to use my card asap. I called Avant and they said because I didn't call them when my card was declined in the past that Avant took my rights away to use my own credit. My son is in need of medications. He is moaning and hurts. Avant will not unlock my card even through there has been no fraud. My son is now suffering and I will be taking him to emergency at the hospital and if anything happens to him I am suing Avant for not allowing me to use the available credit that I have through Avant. Your representatives are rude and hang up on me, laughed at me, berated me for asking to have them take off their block.

I am a mother watching my son suffer due to you, Avant, for not allowing me to use the credit given to me through your service. This is unfair and horrible for me to know that I cannot access my own credit and this is a dire emergency. I have used this card before at the same medical facility and it was declined. I called Avant and they put it through. This time, using the same facility, they refused to unblock my card. This is a matter of life or death and if anything happens due to Avant being overzealous I will have to seek advice from an attorney. Nobody ever told me that I would have to call Avant any time my card was declined, I just thought I reached my spending limit for that day. So I didn't bother. They said this is the reason I am blocked.

How can Avant decide for me if I have my card blocked???? This is ridiculous and I will call the news, I will call my attorney and I will take my son to the hospital due to not getting the medicine he needs to survive due to Avant blocking my credit, for being hung up on time and time again by Natasha and the people in a foreign land whom I couldn't understand their english and they don't understand this is an emergency. I wouldn't recommend this credit company for any reason. Get it and it will be one hassle after another.

Original review: April 25, 2022

My identity was stolen, and I keep finding other attempts to steal my credit. Avant Credit Card was the latest. Once I called them, they said they would shut down the line of credit and refund the annual fee. But, they did not, and refuse to do so until I prove that it was fraud (though I have already proven my identity). With no charges and no losses, shut it down before the thieves have a chance to do damage. Do not support a card that supports ID Theft over Victims.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

Do Not Borrow From these people! They intentionally seek to harm your credit so you are forced to borrow from only them. First by reporting late payments as 30 days weeks early. Attempt to hit your bank multiple times in one day even when you already paid. Take weeks to credit your payments. Call you unrelentingly 7 times a day even after you made payment arrangements. Offer payment assistance that basically puts your account into collections. Limited on type of payments they will take making it harder to pay them. Please stay clear. Thank you

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Had perfect pay history with them for 1 year. They made 15.79 off me in one year on interest charges. Then I got a notice that I applied for another credit card from them 12/18/2021. Never did and they refused to explain how it happened. Cancelled and shredded my card and they are refunding me my prorated annual fee. Don't trust this company.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

I got a loan from Avant financial. Mailed a payment to them at end of Sept. They stole my payment. Did not apply it to my account. I made another payment by phone. They did not apply it to my account. I'm going to take legal action.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

Credit Karma recommended the Avant Card and I applied and was accepted last month. I have less than stellar credit and am trying to rebuild my credit so I jumped through all the hoops. I made two charges and within days paid off the amount in full. I "connected" my card to my bank account since I was instructed that the payment would be received and posted faster. On the 1st transaction it was (3 days total).

The second set of transaction was a different story. The "annual fee" was charged and this brought my account over limit. I immediately paid the entire amount which came out of my bank account the next day. Avant's dashboard showed that the payment had been made and posted on the 21st. However, the dashboard showed no available balance and that I was indeed still -$53.00 over limit. Avant acknowledged that yes, they received the funds and yes, it was posted to my account on October 21st but that it could take up to 10 days for it to show on my account.

I called three times to ask for an explanation and to have this corrected. Was told that they could do nothing and that I would have to wait until the 28th for there to be a change in my account. I asked for a supervisor three different time on three different phone calls only to be told that one would get back to me later that day. To date, no response.

I feel that I have been taken advantage of. They have my money and I owe them $0 since October 21st. Thank God I have another credit card (Cap One who is great). Will put this card in the drawer and take it out once in a while, make a small purchase and pay it off immediately and close this account asap even though it will ding my credit which I am trying so hard to rebuild on Social Security.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I opened a credit card with them about a year ago. All was fine and well. It was a 300 credit card. Used it, paid in full and then I call 4 days after my payment posted to my cc account and my bank account and was told that my available balance would be withheld for 9 days. I asked why and was told the system determined it. I said, "Ok can you release my available balance," was told no. Then I stated, "Ok so you can't tell my why the "system" placed my available funds on hold for 9 days, how to avoid it in the future and you cant override the system to release my funds." Rep argued with me and said they gave me a resolution. No that's not a resolution. Closed my card. Waste of time.

Original review: June 22, 2021

I normally don't write reviews but I WANT everyone to know how SHADY this company is. Please for the love of God DO NOT TAKE OUT A LOAN WITH AVANT. They charge you interest on a DAILY basis not monthly. Customer service NEVER gives you a direct answer and there is no way to elevate your concerns. It's a HORRIBLE feeling to need help and reach out to a company who says they'll help you and when you do business with them, they totally take advantage of you. At the end of the day, it's MY FAULT for not FULLY UNDERSTANDING how they calculate and apply your payments. I'm $3000 in on a $6000 loan and owe $6500. That's right. I've paid $3000 and owe them more than I borrowed. I'm in the process of contacting my state attorney general's office. I even tried to pay money towards the principal and they gave me the run around about that too. DO NOT TAKE OUT A LOAN WITH AVANT...

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Just an FYI that I just realized Avant charges an interest fee for purchases made on card. My bill is paid in full every month and I feel this fee should not be applied. Will need to contact company and see if this can be waived.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

This is worse than Fingerhut! They have changed my routing number and my password!! Rejected payments that they blamed on the bank~ This card will hurt your credit! No thank you! Customer service needs trained.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Interest rates are way too high. Not customer friendly if you have concerns about the monthly payments. Not a loan that you should consider unless you have no other choice.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

For the whole entirety of my loan (3yrs) I only had to skip one payment. Which they told me the late fees would be waived. But the interest would still occur. Ok, I get that. Then covid-19 happened and work slowed way down. So I called to see what help they offered. They said we can defer 2 payments onto the end of the loan and waive the fees. No mention of any interest this time. My payoff was 802 but my last 2 payments only came to 600. I called to see why. They said all skipped and deferred payments accumulated a DAILY interest charge! So just everyone knows Avant charges interest daily and not monthly. I would not recommend them at all.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

When I first signed up for Avant I was a little leery but they have proven to be very professional and SECURE. If I had any questions or issue It was handled efficiently. I'm definitely staying with AVANT for Life because they really protect and notify me if there's fraudulent activity suspected. I REALLY RECOMMEND AVANT TO ANYONE especially if you're trying to improve your credit status.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I have used Avant several times during short-term pinches. Loans issued through WebBank, which is a member of FDIC. Rates and Terms for Unsecured Loans: Loan amounts range from $2,000 to $35,000. APR ranges from 9.95% to 35.99%. Loan lengths range from 24 to 60 months. Administration fee up to 4.75% which are all reasonable for debt of this kind which in most cases is an immediate infusion of $ to one's bank account.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

Hack Company, Scam to collect late fees and membership fees. Payment due on 1st, which was on weekend, went to make payment on Monday and they charged a 20 late fee, damage credit rating also. Canceled.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

If you have a bankruptcy on your credit you are basically like a criminal. No one ever asked you why you did it. You submitted everything for nothing, you're are going to be denied even if you have the credit. Bankruptcy is not a crime, what if you lose a job!. Need it Karma matches you with them, but don't even try!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

My advice to you is stay clear of this credit card at all costs. I recently opened an account. They advertised up to a $1500 credit line. I was approved for $300. I have other credit cards with limits as high as $30000. I went ahead with the deal anyway. When I got the card I called to change my payment date because the payment date was 3 days before I get paid every month. They told me that they don't do that. I told them to close the account. I had already received a statement and had paid it off. They refunded a portion of the fees which left a credit in the account.

I contacted customer service several times to have the credit sent to me. Two statement periods came and went with no responses to numerous inquiries. I finally sent them a certified letter demanding payment. No response. I filed complaints with my State's Consumer Affair department and the Federal consumer affair department. Three months...numerous contacts with customer service, a certified letter and two complaints to get $7.31. The certified letter cost almost that much. STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I was assisted by customer service answering all my questions with great feedback and I’m able to feel the decision was a secure one. While having me feel secure they also kept me informed on every step of the process.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Applying for a loan takes time not only for the paperwork but also to weigh options on payment options. Most importantly is that no prepayment penalty so that when your finances pick up you can pay the loan down faster. Customer service was another important factor. Better to talk to an actual representative than deal with automated device. Avant is a company that seems to care and puts a little more effort to help customers. I like to borrow only short term except for long term loans like mortgages.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Avant- advertises all credit, even bad credit, can qualify for a loan. Not so! Tried it and was referred to Spot Loan from there referred to another site. I have tried many sites, even Credit Karma's suggestions. Avant- makes it seem as though you may qualify with them but, in reality, bad credit is bad credit. So raise your credit score is recommended and then perhaps Avant will take another look. No Bankruptcies for sure.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I applied for a personal loan from Avant when I was really struggling after I lost my husband. My world crashed, but Avant came to my rescue with high praise. The application process was easy and quick. They rushed to assist my needs and the payments were just right. They are the best in professional quality service and do their best to answer each/any questions you may ask easily. I enjoyed working with their company!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

The company is okay. However, this company runs your credit too many times to get approval. Even after, pre-approval. I don’t recommend this company as customer service is not professional about the credit inquiries they run.

Original review: July 22, 2020

In 2019 I applied for a loan through Avant. There was no jumping through hoops. It was cut and dry. My credit wasn’t great but I was approved for a 7200 loan. Great. Paid it off early. Now I apply for a 2500 loan. I had to send in 3 tax year filings, voided check, and bank statement. We earn great money. We built our house cash, so no payments or rent. It’s off grid so no electric payment or internet. Virtually we have no payments except our cell phones. They denied me!!!! What? A third of the first loan request, make the same money, have no payments and they deny me? I guess it’s best because their interest rates are sky high. If you’re going for a loan try someone else because this company makes no sense.

Original review: July 17, 2020

This place you do not want to take a loan at there interest rates are extremely high. I was going to pay it off with a credit card and wouldn't let me how ridiculous. Will never use them again. I also was not impressed with there customer service.

Original review: March 25, 2020

RIPOFF-DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS COMPANY'S PROMOTIONS. Signed up because of $50 Amazon gift card offer on the radio. Never received and when i called and e-mailed multiple times they only ever accused me of an invalid offer or non entry of promo on sign up. I even called them before sign up to confirm the promo and wrote it down with the time and date of the offer on my Samsung Note.

Original review: March 4, 2020

This company obviously will do anything possible to take your money. I applied for a credit card and was approved, I then received an email with info on how to activate the card once received in the mail and how to setup an online account. Along with this email they attached a PDF file, stating it was the Terms and Agreement Policy. For me to read it and save for future reference. So, I immediately read the entire policy. The policy was a joke!!!! It clearly stats that they have the right to charge you higher interest whenever they want, they have the right to wait as long as they want to post to your account any payments you make. They have the right to change, delete any and all on the policy. Etc... Etc... It truly blew me away. It did stat that if you do not agree the Terms of the Policy, You have the right to Cancel your account within 30 days of receiving the card in the mail.

Well, I immediately sent an email Canceling my account. Keep in my that I haven’t even received a Credit Card in the mail yet, nor do I have an online account setup with Avant. I got a threatening reply, stating they will cancel my account only if I agree to pay my bill in full. So, I asked? What Bill? I never even got a card yet!!! Now they won’t reply. I wish there was a way of posting screenshots on here. I would love to post a screenshot of my conversation with AvantCard. I know got an email saying your monthly statement is ready, and to log onto my account to pay. ???? Seriously????

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

I will keep this short and sweet, do not use Avant- for a loan, you will never pay it off, it’s a revolving loan. I took a $2500, 3 year loan in 2016, have not missed a payment ever, always on time. Payments were $200 a month! I went on this week to see my remaining balance was $2000! Do that math on that, $200 a month for 48 months and it only knocked $500 off? What happened to the 3 year loan? Please learn from my mistakes and DO NOT be suckered into this money scam! Happy to say I sent a $2000 payment to get them off my credit!

Avant Company Information