1.02/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

375 AccountNow Prepaid Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I wouldn’t recommend AccountNow because they give you horrible service. I have direct deposit money from 2017 that I still never receive from them. Their employees are very horrible, rude and doesn’t know how to do their jobs. I had to submit my documents just to show them that the person talking to is actually me. I sent them a document last time and never received anything back from them. I issued me a new card and they said they either never received anything about it or they’ll never send it. One of their employees told me that the card that I was trying issue as a replacement they’re sending it back. I wouldn’t recommend them because they are known to be scammers. I will never go back to AccountNow because they’re give them a bad name for theirselves and their service aren’t good and they’re not respectful. I wouldn’t choose to be with AccountNow.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

AccountNow is a company that scams people out of their money. They cancelled out my bank card without my permission. The money I had in the bank they refuse to return it. They keep asking me to verify who I am. I keep sending them paper after paper information at the information and they still refuse to give me my funds. There's no way you can get in touch with a corporate office or phone number to anyone that owns the company. If you are trying to get an AccountNow card I recommend that you don't. This company is a scam and a thief.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have been with account now over 5 years. Suddenly I call them to tell them my card is damaged. They put in system my card was lost so as I get my direct deposit of 905 they tell me to send documents to prove it's me. I send every documents you can think of then all of a sudden my account is closed and my funds are still in my account. They tell me they will send a check home and 3 mths later they are saying there is nothing they can do. This place needs to shut down. All they are is scammers. I counted on my funds just to go to waste smh.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had this card for over an year and all of a sudden they suspend my card for no reason. I would get different information every time I called. They made me go through a runaround. I sent a copy of my driver license and ss card 4 times for them to receive it. They eventually closed my account for no reason.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I've been with these clowns for 6 years almost. No issues. Suddenly, 5 hours after a $925 direct deposit hit my account (from my job) the money vanishes from my account. The money was deposited 502 pm Wed. I awaken to withdraw money the next day, and was declined a 200 dollar withdrawal. I check my statement online and see the balance is 105 dollars. I see 3 credits totaling 105 dollars. I call these clowns and they say there was two card to card transfers totaling 880 dollars, both from different people in California. I live 3000 miles away in NY. I asked them why can't I see the debits but only the credit, they tell me maybe the system needs to update, which makes no damn sense. On top of that, the supposed "thief" name changed when I called them the following day to follow up on the dispute it make sure they received the dispute documents I uploaded, which they did not and I had to send in again.

First off, why the ** would somebody steal from me then put money back. Second off, why would I NOT be able to to see the debits, which is a card to card transfer, which SHOULD be instantaneous in reviewing online. (I did a card to card transfer to another bank account from an OFFICIAL bank I opened last month of 900 bucks, which was review-able on my account summary IMMEDIATELY.)

I called them today because it's been 5 days since I opened the dispute, they tell me the account has been compromised. They will mail me a check, it will take up to 14 days to reach me AFTER the 10 day dispute period ends. (I filed 1/24/19, they saying the check will go out after 2/8/2019.) These people are lying sacks of refuse from a 200 year old sewer pipe. They royally screwed me for the next week. I do not get paid again until next Thursday, 2/7. They do not need to be in business, they need to be brought up on charges and thrown in jail. I'm beyond infuriated at this point and this is not my nature. I look and see 100s of other complaints on here and realize this company is E. coli crap on a flies anus. Stealing demons. ** them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AccountNow Prepaid Card?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I been a customer for a year and soon I lose my card and send them everything they ask before my check is deposited. They still give me a runaround and told me it was gonna take another 3 days to review... They don't help you and they keep your money... They are a RIPOFF and ain't **.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Well my card got demagnetized and instead of them just sending me a new card they want a copy of my ID AND proof of address. My ID was burned up in a fire so I am waiting for DMV to send me a new one but they don't care and because I have to wait for DMV account now won't send me a new card so I could not pay my rent and phone bill so now I am homeless and I have to use Starbucks wifi because I don't have a phone.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

The people are incompetent. The customer is not right in this case. I was a victim of fraud. Had to go through loops and holes just to get a new card. They sent me a letter to my address about the dispute but I NEVER got my card. It was sent back to their corporate office. How sway if the correct address is on file. Then they charged me $25 to get another card. Did they charge the people that took money from my card originally? NOPE. I felt more like a criminal on trial than a customer. Best believe I'm switching banks as soon as I get my card and withdraw my funds. ** account now with their tedious process for recovery using your own money... Capital One and RushCard are better I heard.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

No one notified me about the issue. I received a new card and it was for a new account while my direct deposit just hit my other account that is froze. Plus I had other money on it. It took for me to call back to find out the email they gave me was invalid. I was told to send my documents on the website. I did it. They said it takes 72 hours for them to review it. It's been a week and they are still telling me it has not been updated. My rent is overdue and no one is assisting me while they have all my money.

I asked for a supervisor and he saying the same thing, "We have to wait for a update from our back office team." Meanwhile I do not care about the dispute. I just want my money and I will never bank with them again. I asked if they could just cancel my account and send me a check because this is a huge inconvenience and it's not right to hold someone's money like that. I'm answering all the questions they ask and I have had this card for a few years and this is ridiculous for no one to be able to at least transfer my money to the new card they sent me. I am very upset and broke. This is not right.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My husband has had an AccountNow MasterCard for about 13 years. He has a portion of his paycheck deposited to this account. Today was payday and the customary amount was deposited, plus he had some money on it already. We had breakfast near our home in Iowa and he used the card to pay for it. 3 hours later someone used the account at a Target store in Riverside, California, and cleaned out the account. Even though he reported the theft within an hour of it happening, Target won't do anything to help or stop the charge, customer service (overseas) won't do anything to help and he has to report it to our local Sheriff so they can report it to Riverside Police so maybe they'll open an investigation on it. In the meantime, money is gone, nobody will help. THIS IS A CRAP COMPANY - DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Hi my name is Calvin **. This card destroy my kids' Christmas. I have over a $1,000 on a card that I never received. I’m on SSI. I gave the SSI office the account & routing number to deposit my income on this card. The people I talk to have no heart at all. They say 7 to 10 days but it been 3 weeks now so I had to do a 3 day rush to get the card but it take over a week or more for them to look at the documents that I submitted. It's sad how my kids had to go through all this because the people that work at this company don’t care about the people they are talking to are the holidays that we share in this country... This is so sad that I can’t even get a card number to take my money off this card but I don’t understand why I can’t get it when it been over 3 weeks...

So people I say to everyone this card is not for you at all. I’m have to go to my Social Security office and get all my money returned back to me on a government card. That can only happen until the 3 of 2019 so my kids holidays is destroyed and I’m so hurt as a father that I couldn't provide for my kids this holidays. This the worst moment in my life and my kids all because of this card... And they will not do nothing to make this right with me. All I can do is leave it all in God Hands. Words from a father with a broken heart. Thanks to AccountNow...

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

On December 20, 2018 there were five unauthorized charges processed with my debit card at two different Kroger locations in Tucker, GA as well as Atlanta, GA. The charges were in the amount of $25.00, there were three charges in the amount of $54.95 and one charge of $57.72. I'm located in Tampa, FL and there is no Kroger's located in Florida at all. The card was in my possession so I can only assume that a criminal had access to my information. I contacted Account Now right away to inform them and they advised me that wasn't anything that could be done until 12/27/2018. They also advised me that I would have to wait to see if the charges would go through.

The next day (12/21/2018) the charges were approved and I was left with no money. I called them back and they advised me to submit a dispute form so I completed the dispute form and tried to upload it to their website, however I wasn't able to so I faxed the form to them. There was a fax number located on the dispute form. I have the proof that the fax was accepted on 12/24/2018. I called them today to verify if they have received the form I sent it and the representative I spoke with asked me what fax number I sent it to and refused to provide me with a direct answer as to whether they received my fax or not. I then proceeded to ask for a supervisor and was left on hold for an hour. I decided to call back and try again.

I called back and I was finally able to speak with a supervisor however I didn't really get anywhere. I asked her how do I upload my documents to the portal. She advised me to look at the "Claim Assistant" form and to do whatever the "Claim Assistant" form says. I was finally able to upload my dispute form, however I don't feel confident that they will give me my hard earned money back. I keep speaking with different representatives and I've been provided with several different answers. I've read several reviews from others and I don't have any faith that I will get my money back. I feel like I've been scammed. I would NEVER recommend using AccountNow to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have been with this company for about a year. I have NEVER had any issues until this past weekend. They allowed someone to purchase from Microsoft Xbox with my card number. There were 13 debits in one day. They have never seen me purchase anything from this company before and allowed 13 transactions, all within a two hour span and they did NOT think that this was odd. I submitted a dispute, only for them to say that they found no error. REALLY? What kind of financial institution allow 13 transactions from the same vendor, one that you have never seen before and do not call the owner of the card nor block it. Wells Fargo wouldn't have ever done this. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE TRUST THEM WITH THEIR MONEY!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I’ve had AccountNow for few years then my paycheck that got directly deposited in my account was stolen out of it 30 minutes later. One in Florida and another in California $803. I disputed it with them. After an investigation I was send a letter stating that there was no error and my funds would not be credited. After multiple calls with them and nowhere near getting an answer now I’m told to write a letter to a P.O Box. What the hell!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

They have a hold on my husband's back pay from social security. We have been jumping through hoops for these people. My husband got approved for disability and he got a back payment of over 10,000 dollars. We have sent everything they have asked for everyday 5 to 6 times a day. Every day they had a new reason why they can't take the hold off. I really think they need to be fined, looked into and closed down.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I am like others that have complaints with AccountNow. Do not get their card. I have been dealing with the issue of them wanting documents that I have sent several times, only for them to keep asking me for the same things again. It has been 3 months now and I'm no closer to getting this issue corrected. This is my money they are keeping without releasing it. I need to know how I can file a suit on them. They say they have sent me a card, I checked and there is one that says I need to link it by putting the CVV in, why would I do that when I don't have the card? This is ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I lose my wallet and my card was use for 767.10. I called to despite it 3 days later. I receive a letter saying no error occurred but my money is missing how the ** yall saying no error. Where's the ** is my money then?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have tried to get my money off my card for 2 years... sending them documents after documents, and still nothing. After I have tried they now say they sent it back to the IRS bank. Has anyone had this same problem, and does anyone know if I will receive a check in the mail? DO NOT GET AN ACCOUNT NOW CARD!!! They will tell you what you need to send them, and then you do that they will tell you need more. They wanted a utility bill in my name with my address, but when I told them I don't pay utilities that they're included in my rent... they sent it back.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I requested rent payment, funds were removed but rent payment was never submitted... 10.31.18 transaction cancelled and today 11.12.18 no refund. Called twelve days in a row... No resolution. Received 3 day notice to quit. Police will not intervene. Out of home and 2630. Dollars.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I had My money deposited on my card and they locked my card saying they need more documents to prove my identity and then say it would take 3 days to release my funds. Nowhere do it say that all deposits are subject to review. I will be filing a civil lawsuit. DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My card was just recently expired and have been waiting over a week and a half for a replacement, they refuse to give me access to my own money and all they do is give me a run around. I strongly recommend anyone that is thinking of opening an account with AccountNow - DON'T DO IT!!! BIGGEST MISTAKE. When I get my replacement card I'll be taking all my money and closing my account. They are useless.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have a refund that was put on my card a week ago. I sent in proper documentation they requested. I uploaded it to the website. The reps advised to wait 3 business days so I did. I called on the 3rd day cause my card was still suspended. The reps say they do not have an update yet to call back after 4pm. So I do I call around 4:15 pm only to be told that not all the proper documentation was received. That I was missing the original purchase receipt. That was not correct 'cause I know it was sent with the upload. I had scanned all the documents to a pdf file and sent it as one upload so there is no way they got all the other document and not that one. I argued and asked to speak to a manager 'cause not only are they holding my refund but the suspension was preventing me access to my other money in the account.

I stressed to the manager that I would like to speak to the department that does the reviews as maybe they don't know what they are looking at. The manager says they don't take calls and they are already gone for the day. How convenient. They don't take calls and the updates come after they leave for the day. They said resend the documents again and then wait another 3 business days. I questions why I had to wait another 3 days. It's not a new claim or whatever they call it. They requested a document that I already sent but said they did not receive. If I send that why do I have to go back to the bottom of the pile and wait just review what you requested and release my card. The manager continues to apologize and tells me there is nothing they can do. I say ** to that.

SO I submit all my documents again, I sent everything just in case they say that they didn't get something. I sent it first thing on Thursday morning. It was right at 7am. I talk to reps on Thursday. Still nothing. Card still suspended and all I get is apologies. All day Friday still nothing. Then I get told my 3rd business day would be Monday as now I am going into the weekend and still have no access to my funds. I am a week late on my rent and all they tell me is they understand but they can't do anything. I call this morning since it's my 3rd business day only to be told that my 3rd business day is tomorrow 'cause the first day I send the documents does not count. So the Thursday I sent in the stuff at 7am did not count. CRAZY.

These people can't even stick to one procedure of saying the same thing. I am beyond frustrated. The crap that they spit to customers who pay them to have the card is ridiculous. I worked for this company years ago. I know the policies and procedures that's why I know the lines of crap they are telling are not true. I know the department that reviews the documents are in the same building as them. It is latterly on the other side of the office. I know that managers have access to unsuspend a card and they have access to see the documents that were sent. This company is full of poop. (That's the nicest way I can say that.) The owners or whoever really need to evaluate what is going on or they will keep losing customers.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I have been waiting for my card for over a month. I’ve talked to several managers and customer service reps. Everybody change their ** stories every time I call. I have spoke to rep Paul. I have spoke to manager Dan. None of them ** helped me. They just keep telling me they sent my card and it will arrive this day. All the calls are recorded so they say so wtf can’t nobody story match. Why haven’t I received my ** card yet? They are very unprofessional and just tell you whatever to get you off the phone. They shouldn’t be able to continue business like this. My address has not changed one time and it’s been over a ** month. If I had to rate these ** they wouldn’t get one ** star from me. I’m very pissed!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

AccountNow in my opinion is a fraudulent site who steals funds from people by blocking accounts and then asking for personal documents. I have called several times and the story changes every time. I would like to file a further complaint against AccountNow to stop them from stealing from anyone else.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have had AccountNow over three years. Someone in Fort Lauderdale, Florida stole over 1700.00 dollars out of my account. They went from card to card, Best Buy, CVC and a North Hotel. They even changed my pin. Now, every bill that I have is past due. And, I only get paid once a month. I called and asked about my claim I filed. They said they were working on it. I think this was an inside job. This type of stuff needs to STOP!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

INCOMPETENT MORONS. They lied to me. They told me it would take a ridiculous six weeks to issue my refund check and then they told me now I have to wait an additional 2-3 weeks to actually get my check. I HATE THEM!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

My husband answered a sec. ques. wrong, flipped my life upside down. They gave the one try and froze the account starting Aug. 19th, until he would send a copy of social and that was stolen in his wallet a yr ago. First they just wanted a copy of his ID, we sent that uploaded through his iPhone... Waited a week, no card, called they said, "Ohh but we need your social a copy." ON THE BACK OF A SOCIAL SECURITY CARD IT SAYS "NOT TO BE USED FOR ID PURPOSE"!!! Told them that, did not care. Sooo our rent, car payment, ins, cc bills, PGE, my kid's school money pics, all returned my bank, and I just repaired my credit to buy a house. Now thanks to these ** it ruined. I am going to take them to small claims. 11,500 in their account!!! OUR money! Now I finally got the card 2 mo. later trying to take money out to put in a real account 500$ a day that's it. BUT it will take 60 days to get a check and close the account. See you in court you **.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Do not get this card. Anytime a merchant has credited something back to your card they hold your money for 2 weeks before they release it which is illegal. This company is a scam. I will be switching over to RushCard.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have used AccountNow for 6 years and have just closed my account as of 9/11/2018. During the past 3 years my account has been hacked or funds stolen 4 times. This last time it was a 300.00 card to card transfer. I agree with others that this must be an "inside job." - They knew exactly when my direct deposit would hit and immediately made the unauthorized money transaction. I was also treated to my account being locked out and only a portion of my remaining funds made available to me via a one-time "advance" at a real bank. Now I am waiting for them to send me my remaining balance via a check in the mail. I will NEVER recommend AccountNow as a viable or trustworthy solution to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I have enjoyed using AccountNow for the last few years but have had problems with this company behind money that belongs to me. I lost my card and requested a new card but was told I needed to show proof of who I was and I did that by sending the documents to the center and still not able to get a new card because my address was changed and needed a bill that has my current address on it. As I explained to the rep for AccountNow that I don't have any utility bill or gas bill in my name and that the mail I provided them with is the only mail I get to the address and now they are saying it's not good enough. So how the ** I'm suppose to get my money... On top of that I could barely understand the reps that were helping me. AccountNow has to do better. I'm sorry but not sorry for discontinuing my service with AccountNow.

AccountNow Prepaid Card expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 2004, AccountNow is one of the most trusted brands in the alternative banking sphere. The company was a finalist in the category of Best Unbanked & Underserved Program at the 2007 and 2009 Prepaid Card Expos.

• High deposit maximum: Consumers may add up to $10,000 per day through direct deposit and $1,500 for cash loading. Third parties may have their own limits and additional fees.

• Cash available quickly: Direct deposits and electronic payments are usually available the same business day. Additionally, cash deposits made through money transfer services are generally available immediately.

• How to add cash: In addition to direct deposit, money transfer services can load cash such as MoneyGram®, WesternUnion®, Visa ReadyLink and more.

• Low monthly service fee: The fee structure is clearly explained on the company website. ATM fees range from $1.00 to $2.50. Monthly charges range from no charge to $9.95. Transaction fees range from zero to $1.00 per transaction.

• Direct deposit bonus: There is a $15 direct deposit bonus for setting up $500 auto-deposit and meeting other conditions.

• Refer-a-Friend program: Consumers receive a $20 cash bonus for referring a friend, and the associate receives a $10 cash bonus as well.

• Best for: It is a good alternative for those turned away from traditional banking due to banking issues. Also, it is helpful for consumers interested in depositing Social Security checks.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg