1.04/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

358 AccountNow Prepaid Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have tried to get my money off my card for 2 years... sending them documents after documents, and still nothing. After I have tried they now say they sent it back to the IRS bank. Has anyone had this same problem, and does anyone know if I will receive a check in the mail? DO NOT GET AN ACCOUNT NOW CARD!!! They will tell you what you need to send them, and then you do that they will tell you need more. They wanted a utility bill in my name with my address, but when I told them I don't pay utilities that they're included in my rent... they sent it back.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I requested rent payment, funds were removed but rent payment was never submitted... 10.31.18 transaction cancelled and today 11.12.18 no refund. Called twelve days in a row... No resolution. Received 3 day notice to quit. Police will not intervene. Out of home and 2630. Dollars.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I had My money deposited on my card and they locked my card saying they need more documents to prove my identity and then say it would take 3 days to release my funds. Nowhere do it say that all deposits are subject to review. I will be filing a civil lawsuit. DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My card was just recently expired and have been waiting over a week and a half for a replacement, they refuse to give me access to my own money and all they do is give me a run around. I strongly recommend anyone that is thinking of opening an account with AccountNow - DON'T DO IT!!! BIGGEST MISTAKE. When I get my replacement card I'll be taking all my money and closing my account. They are useless.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have a refund that was put on my card a week ago. I sent in proper documentation they requested. I uploaded it to the website. The reps advised to wait 3 business days so I did. I called on the 3rd day cause my card was still suspended. The reps say they do not have an update yet to call back after 4pm. So I do I call around 4:15 pm only to be told that not all the proper documentation was received. That I was missing the original purchase receipt. That was not correct 'cause I know it was sent with the upload. I had scanned all the documents to a pdf file and sent it as one upload so there is no way they got all the other document and not that one. I argued and asked to speak to a manager 'cause not only are they holding my refund but the suspension was preventing me access to my other money in the account.

I stressed to the manager that I would like to speak to the department that does the reviews as maybe they don't know what they are looking at. The manager says they don't take calls and they are already gone for the day. How convenient. They don't take calls and the updates come after they leave for the day. They said resend the documents again and then wait another 3 business days. I questions why I had to wait another 3 days. It's not a new claim or whatever they call it. They requested a document that I already sent but said they did not receive. If I send that why do I have to go back to the bottom of the pile and wait just review what you requested and release my card. The manager continues to apologize and tells me there is nothing they can do. I say ** to that.

SO I submit all my documents again, I sent everything just in case they say that they didn't get something. I sent it first thing on Thursday morning. It was right at 7am. I talk to reps on Thursday. Still nothing. Card still suspended and all I get is apologies. All day Friday still nothing. Then I get told my 3rd business day would be Monday as now I am going into the weekend and still have no access to my funds. I am a week late on my rent and all they tell me is they understand but they can't do anything. I call this morning since it's my 3rd business day only to be told that my 3rd business day is tomorrow 'cause the first day I send the documents does not count. So the Thursday I sent in the stuff at 7am did not count. CRAZY.

These people can't even stick to one procedure of saying the same thing. I am beyond frustrated. The crap that they spit to customers who pay them to have the card is ridiculous. I worked for this company years ago. I know the policies and procedures that's why I know the lines of crap they are telling are not true. I know the department that reviews the documents are in the same building as them. It is latterly on the other side of the office. I know that managers have access to unsuspend a card and they have access to see the documents that were sent. This company is full of poop. (That's the nicest way I can say that.) The owners or whoever really need to evaluate what is going on or they will keep losing customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AccountNow Prepaid Card?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I have been waiting for my card for over a month. I’ve talked to several managers and customer service reps. Everybody change their ** stories every time I call. I have spoke to rep Paul. I have spoke to manager Dan. None of them ** helped me. They just keep telling me they sent my card and it will arrive this day. All the calls are recorded so they say so wtf can’t nobody story match. Why haven’t I received my ** card yet? They are very unprofessional and just tell you whatever to get you off the phone. They shouldn’t be able to continue business like this. My address has not changed one time and it’s been over a ** month. If I had to rate these ** they wouldn’t get one ** star from me. I’m very pissed!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

AccountNow in my opinion is a fraudulent site who steals funds from people by blocking accounts and then asking for personal documents. I have called several times and the story changes every time. I would like to file a further complaint against AccountNow to stop them from stealing from anyone else.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have had AccountNow over three years. Someone in Fort Lauderdale, Florida stole over 1700.00 dollars out of my account. They went from card to card, Best Buy, CVC and a North Hotel. They even changed my pin. Now, every bill that I have is past due. And, I only get paid once a month. I called and asked about my claim I filed. They said they were working on it. I think this was an inside job. This type of stuff needs to STOP!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

INCOMPETENT MORONS. They lied to me. They told me it would take a ridiculous six weeks to issue my refund check and then they told me now I have to wait an additional 2-3 weeks to actually get my check. I HATE THEM!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

My husband answered a sec. ques. wrong, flipped my life upside down. They gave the one try and froze the account starting Aug. 19th, until he would send a copy of social and that was stolen in his wallet a yr ago. First they just wanted a copy of his ID, we sent that uploaded through his iPhone... Waited a week, no card, called they said, "Ohh but we need your social a copy." ON THE BACK OF A SOCIAL SECURITY CARD IT SAYS "NOT TO BE USED FOR ID PURPOSE"!!! Told them that, did not care. Sooo our rent, car payment, ins, cc bills, PGE, my kid's school money pics, all returned my bank, and I just repaired my credit to buy a house. Now thanks to these ** it ruined. I am going to take them to small claims. 11,500 in their account!!! OUR money! Now I finally got the card 2 mo. later trying to take money out to put in a real account 500$ a day that's it. BUT it will take 60 days to get a check and close the account. See you in court you **.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Do not get this card. Anytime a merchant has credited something back to your card they hold your money for 2 weeks before they release it which is illegal. This company is a scam. I will be switching over to RushCard.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have used AccountNow for 6 years and have just closed my account as of 9/11/2018. During the past 3 years my account has been hacked or funds stolen 4 times. This last time it was a 300.00 card to card transfer. I agree with others that this must be an "inside job." - They knew exactly when my direct deposit would hit and immediately made the unauthorized money transaction. I was also treated to my account being locked out and only a portion of my remaining funds made available to me via a one-time "advance" at a real bank. Now I am waiting for them to send me my remaining balance via a check in the mail. I will NEVER recommend AccountNow as a viable or trustworthy solution to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I have enjoyed using AccountNow for the last few years but have had problems with this company behind money that belongs to me. I lost my card and requested a new card but was told I needed to show proof of who I was and I did that by sending the documents to the center and still not able to get a new card because my address was changed and needed a bill that has my current address on it. As I explained to the rep for AccountNow that I don't have any utility bill or gas bill in my name and that the mail I provided them with is the only mail I get to the address and now they are saying it's not good enough. So how the ** I'm suppose to get my money... On top of that I could barely understand the reps that were helping me. AccountNow has to do better. I'm sorry but not sorry for discontinuing my service with AccountNow.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Was ok till last week when 40 dollars was missing out of my account. So I called them and they told me my card had been compromised. "We can send a new one." I asked, "Ok. Would it be to me by next Friday? My car Payment is due." I easy told yes it and I call to see how I can get my money off. I was told I can't even transfer funds. Very upset with them.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I lost my card and ordered a new one and I gave them the wrong address. I have a disability dyslexia. I corrected the number and I was told that my account has been closed. I've made several attempts to contact them. No response. I've been told they sent a check to SSI but SSI has no record of that transaction. I ask for a copy of the check and for them to put a trace on the check. They said they mailed. They said that wasn't the procedure and they don't do that. I've had only 3 calls back and I missed each one. I've contacted this co. Over 75 times and have gotten nowhere. I've lost my home and have been pretty much homeless ever since this has happen. This was 2 years ago. I finally gave up. I read online of all these other complaints so I thought I would speak up. This company has put in a financial downhill nightmare. They closed my account and never transferred my money back to me.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am disabled and thought this company would be great to use to receive my disability check on with no charges when making purchases or withdrawals from the ATM. Boy was I wrong. It charges every time I use at a store or at ATMs. And resetting the pin has to be done online because they refuse to do it over the phone, I tried to set up the account app on my phone but it only allows me to go so far then won't let me go any further with the app on my phone. This company don't even deserve a 1 star as far as I'm concerned. I've lost over 200 a month over the last two years with this company.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I order this card to receive my Federal income tax return. The card was doing fine until the deposit hit the card. Soon as it received a direct deposit they restricted the card stating I needed to send in 2 forms of identification. The funny thing to me here is the fact that they hold your money hostage. If the banking institution released your funds it's a downright headache for an organization that you choose to use to allow them to make money, stalls your money from you and take you through all these changes to get it back. I've provided my id, SS card, marriage certificate as well as my employment id to release these funds. I have bills due and small children in my home. This is spilling my summer events my livelihood and all. Something needs to happen with this company. They are literally robbing people in broad daylight.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Not worth a single star. My son has been using an AccountNow card for his direct deposit and bill pay for a few years. A week ago somebody (probably an internal job) did a $500 card to card transfer from his account. He called and got the automated circle jerk that never gets you to a live person...but was able to report his card “lost or stolen” and paid an extra $25 for an expedited replacement. At that point, he was locked out of even viewing his account. When he reached out to their potential new customer line, he finally got a live voice.

They told him to file a dispute. He couldn’t download the form because he was locked out of his account, so they told to write a letter in Word and upload it. He did this. A week later, no replacement card came. He called the customer “recruiting line” again to get a live voice and was informed that he wouldn’t be receiving a replacement card and that his account had been closed. They would be cutting a check and he would receive it in 5-7 weeks. This is $3000 of his bill money that they are sitting on for no good reason! He has missed a car payment and student loan payment - the first payments he has ever missed. He spoke to a “manager” who told him they “can’t send the money immediately. No, you can...you choose not to. He called back later at my instruction and informed the manager that if he doesn’t receive the money by FedEx in two days they can expect legal action.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I was blocked from their page when I posted that they hold your check until they ready to post it. They told me 2 posts of over $200 monthly before you will get your check early. They lied and I called them out and to keep from a lawsuit they did not charge me monthly fee. Got 6 months but I'm still blocked from their Facebook post plus the person in charge they need to find another job.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I have been a customer of AccountNow for about 10 years with direct deposits well over $70,000. On June 26, 2 deposits from Worldpay were deposited for $100 ea... I was given 1 after 3 days of calling & charged $1.50 each time... but they keep the other $100 for 2 weeks... Each time I called because they said it would be 24 hrs, every time. Over $25.00 in fees they won't return, even though, my money never was there for 2 weeks & I had to keep calling... every time stressing the fees they were charging me just to find out where my money was. Poorest customer service I have ever seen, & the names they give you 'Fhy"/ "Cel"/ " Dani"... not one followed thru to see why one was given & one was kept. No one should trust AccountNow with their money ever.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I filed a dispute in May of 2018. AccountNow asked me to fax over documents supporting my claim. I just felt it was my loss and did nothing. On July 2, 2018 my card was restricted due to investigation of the dispute! I call and asked why my account was being restricted. AccountNow associated stated it had been escalated and didn't have anymore information. My direct deposit has hit today, which is for my rent! I have no access to my account! I can't tell my landlord this foolery that is going on. I have took steps to get another account with a better company. Sitting here hoping I don't get evicted!

Original review: July 4, 2018

After more than year of no monthly fees, I'm now being hit $2.95 a month. It's what their deal was when they killed the READY card. I did enjoy using the card for a time, but always worried about these banks: [[Bancorp Bank, and MetaBank]] because they screwed me with other cards I had with them in the past. The information below might help you with getting your money!!

To ensure delivery of AccountNow emails, please add accountnow@customercare.accountnow.com to your address book. This is an advertisement provided by AccountNow Customer Care. The AccountNow Prepaid Visa Card and AccountNow Gold Visa Prepaid Card are issued by Green Dot® Bank, The Bancorp Bank or MetaBank® pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. The AccountNow Prepaid MasterCard (Classic) is issued by MetaBank pursuant to a license from MasterCard International Incorporated.

Visa is a registered trademark of Visa International Service Association. MasterCard is a registered trademark of MasterCard International Incorporated. Green Dot is a registered trademark of Green Dot Corporation. Please see the back of your card for its issuing bank. Green Dot Bank, The Bancorp Bank, and MetaBank; Members FDIC. All rights reserved. All other registered marks are property of their respective owners. AccountNow Customer Care, P.O. Box 1966, San Ramon, CA 94583.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I first got email saying my online account was on lockdown, due to many times password was tried it was not me. They told me money card was fine. 3 days later someone used credit card numbers. They should have closed it had to resend info to get new card, 7 days later just got card, it happened again. Receive email saying, “We logged you out to due to password attempts.” This company I had 6 years never a problem, they have people in their system and do nothing about it. Need another company. Under investigation who did this. They need to shut them down.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I have had a card with AccountNow for 6 years or so now. As of 28 June 2018, when I went to withdraw funds from an ATM, I was declined for restricted card? I contacted customer service and was told that due to a charge of $8.98 and another of $127.15 both from different states and vendors and not the state I live in northern did I or was having any knowledge of who or what these transactions were, I was told that my card would be shut down and a new one would have to be issued. I had just received one direct deposit of two that have been being deposited on this same card for a couple of years now. I now have a $1090.00 that I cannot have access to with another dep of $1158.00 going to be or should be deposited for a total of $2248.00 that I have no access to.

Because I could not hardly understand the customer service rep when going through the security and ensuring my account I was told I didn't answer one of my security questions correctly and was told I had to fax a copy of the card in question, my photo ID, and my account number. I did this and after seeing the hundreds of all I can say is it made me very angry that my God how can there be so many like kind issues going on with this company and the attorney general or any authority hasn't investigated or even Bancorp Bank which my card is through???

I have already made changes and these people may get from me hell I don't know now from what I seen I could be months getting my money back or access to the funds down to possibly never seeing it again. For the amount I'm possibly facing to lose I promise if I do not get back every dime they at this corrupt agency will be exposed. I don't care I have to do so. My funds are both government disability pmts so I have ladders over the bs arbitration smoke screen these crooked people are hiding behind.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I applied for this card to be able to get direct deposit of income tax refund. I did MY son's taxes had them deposited. They froze the account. I've been trying to reach someone but nothing. They have our money on that card. The website won't let you do anything, when you call the 1800 number all it is a recording, no live person to talk to. I really need help because I need our money off that dreadful card.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I misplaced my wallet and thought my AccountNow Gold card was in the wallet...but turns out it was not but I called and requested a new card be expedited overnight which I had done one time before no problem. They tell me the card is blocked and that I needed to fax or mail a photo id, signed social security card and proof of address... Since I could not find my wallet my id and very stupidly my social security card was in the wallet. My paycheck had just been direct deposited the same day this happened. My entire check was on this card. I had bills to pay and my rent due also.

The date was May 4, 2018 I found my card within 15 minutes of calling and asked to have it unlocked so I could get my money off, no way would they budge, I spoke to two supervisors and two different customer service reps who just read over and over from the same script. I tried to put it where I hoped they would understand what if this happened to you, what if you had your entire paycheck locked up on a card and you could not get access to your money, I was told, "I am sorry but this is AccountNow Gold and we have to have proof of who you are." So I go get a new identity a new social security card, which is over a month into this and I finally call and ask them, "Where do I fax this to?" They gave me the no. and then said I had to have a bank statement, a utility bill or a copy of my mortgage to show where I live!!

My id has this, I sent all in and called back to make sure they received it and I would get my card sent to me overnight for $25.00. Guess what? NO...they told me 5 business days to get the paperwork I faxed over verified. I lost it. I totally broke down, I have already received another paycheck and next week I will get another paycheck and now I still do not have my paycheck unlocked a month and 6 days later and I am still waiting for this. Today Saturday which is day no. 4 since they said 5 business days, but Saturday does not count. I know that when I call Monday they will say I still need something...I just know they will do this.

This company is the worst company to deal with. Their call center is in another country and you cannot understand what they are saying and they cannot understand what you are saying either. It is very frustrating to even talk to them. I fully agree that they need to be shut down, or their rules need to change. They are using the money to gather interest and they use the cheapest labor to answer the phone lines. How can they possibly hold your money for so long and this is legal? They have to release your money. It is yours but yet here they are holding and holding my money. I am going to report them to the attorney general and also the BBB Monday. IF YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNTNOW GOLD CARD CLOSE IT OUT NOW, GET ALL YOUR MONEY OFF. THEY WILL KEEP IT FOR ANY REASON POSSIBLE. They are crooks.

Original review: June 8, 2018

PLEASE READ AS I SHARE MY STORY. AccountNow is terrible. I would NEVER recommend anyone using their service. 4/25/18 I called in to ask about a lost card. If a card was lost what were the different things I could do because I had an old card of theirs wanted to know if I could use that card instead. I was misunderstood. Next thing I know I was told my card was being canceled, without my consent. Two weeks later was suppose to get another card but for some reason it never received it. I was told I have to wait another 2 weeks. My checks were coming on the card and it was nothing they could do to get my money off. I had to pay rent and got behind, I struggled to get to work because I was told there's nothing they could do to help me. I spoke with all supervisors! I called everyday explaining I cannot wait. I needed to pay rent.

Then there was a solution where it would be express delivery, but I had to answer security questions that I didn't remember because it was so long ago when I did them. Since I got 1 question wrong my entire account was on block and they couldn't even send anything out AT ALL! I was furious. I explained to them even though I'm giving you guys personal information such as my social, date of birth, email address, there is nothing you guys can do. I had to send a copy of my social, drivers license and proof of resident. Let me remind you guys it's been 3 1/2 weeks and I still was not able to pay rent, get transportation to work, buy food to eat because my money was on the card. I finally got to send them the information and they told me it may take to 5 to 7 days just to review a fax I sent off my information they asked for! I finally received my card a month later. I believe this is a fraud service. I will not ever use them again.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I did a cash reload at a register and my money never posted to my card so I attempted to call the company and after multiple attempts of getting an explanation they requested that I fax or send the receipt so I did. I was told within 24 hours the money would be back on the card and since then it's gone on to be at least 10 days with nothing and they don't do anything about it. Their customer service is insanely crappy. They literally just stole my money for no reason and have no accountability for it and unless I want to sue them there's nothing I can do. It would cost more money to sue them and it would be hard to even have them served so they can continue to rip people off and get away with it. I suggest you protect yourself and don't mess with this company at all.

Original review: May 15, 2018

This company stole $800 from me. My job deposited $502 after I closed this account. Now we are having trouble getting the money back when AccountNow should have rejected it. Plus I’m looking for $298 that was already on the card. They give you the runaround. You can barely get through to customer service and if you call the bank associated with the card they say they can’t help you. You have to contact AccountNow. They allow charges you don’t recognize on your account. They don’t allow you to dispute anything. Then sometimes they freeze your card then you end up get declined for your purchase and they charge you a decline fee when you have money. This company really needs a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.

Original review: May 3, 2018

This place is the most illegal organization out there for prepaid cards. They took $500 out of my account and now refuse to put it back in. This was not an error on my part but on AccountNow and the ATM machine. It was proven that the funds were not disbursed due to the ATM machine malfunctioning and AccountNow still refuses to put the money back on there. So now it’s a consumer review and then a complaint with the BBB. Do not get a card with these people!!!

AccountNow Prepaid Card expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 2004, AccountNow is one of the most trusted brands in the alternative banking sphere. The company was a finalist in the category of Best Unbanked & Underserved Program at the 2007 and 2009 Prepaid Card Expos.

• High deposit maximum: Consumers may add up to $10,000 per day through direct deposit and $1,500 for cash loading. Third parties may have their own limits and additional fees.

• Cash available quickly: Direct deposits and electronic payments are usually available the same business day. Additionally, cash deposits made through money transfer services are generally available immediately.

• How to add cash: In addition to direct deposit, money transfer services can load cash such as MoneyGram®, WesternUnion®, Visa ReadyLink and more.

• Low monthly service fee: The fee structure is clearly explained on the company website. ATM fees range from $1.00 to $2.50. Monthly charges range from no charge to $9.95. Transaction fees range from zero to $1.00 per transaction.

• Direct deposit bonus: There is a $15 direct deposit bonus for setting up $500 auto-deposit and meeting other conditions.

• Refer-a-Friend program: Consumers receive a $20 cash bonus for referring a friend, and the associate receives a $10 cash bonus as well.

• Best for: It is a good alternative for those turned away from traditional banking due to banking issues. Also, it is helpful for consumers interested in depositing Social Security checks.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg