1.05/5
Based on 80 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

339 AccountNow Prepaid Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 11, 2018

I have been a customer of AccountNow for about 10 years with direct deposits well over $70,000. On June 26, 2 deposits from Worldpay were deposited for $100 ea... I was given 1 after 3 days of calling & charged $1.50 each time... but they keep the other $100 for 2 weeks... Each time I called because they said it would be 24 hrs, every time. Over $25.00 in fees they won't return, even though, my money never was there for 2 weeks & I had to keep calling... every time stressing the fees they were charging me just to find out where my money was. Poorest customer service I have ever seen, & the names they give you 'Fhy"/ "Cel"/ " Dani"... not one followed thru to see why one was given & one was kept. No one should trust AccountNow with their money ever.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I filed a dispute in May of 2018. AccountNow asked me to fax over documents supporting my claim. I just felt it was my loss and did nothing. On July 2, 2018 my card was restricted due to investigation of the dispute! I call and asked why my account was being restricted. AccountNow associated stated it had been escalated and didn't have anymore information. My direct deposit has hit today, which is for my rent! I have no access to my account! I can't tell my landlord this foolery that is going on. I have took steps to get another account with a better company. Sitting here hoping I don't get evicted!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 4, 2018

After more than year of no monthly fees, I'm now being hit $2.95 a month. It's what their deal was when they killed the READY card. I did enjoy using the card for a time, but always worried about these banks: [[Bancorp Bank, and MetaBank]] because they screwed me with other cards I had with them in the past. The information below might help you with getting your money!!

To ensure delivery of AccountNow emails, please add accountnow@customercare.accountnow.com to your address book. This is an advertisement provided by AccountNow Customer Care. The AccountNow Prepaid Visa Card and AccountNow Gold Visa Prepaid Card are issued by Green Dot® Bank, The Bancorp Bank or MetaBank® pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. The AccountNow Prepaid MasterCard (Classic) is issued by MetaBank pursuant to a license from MasterCard International Incorporated.

Visa is a registered trademark of Visa International Service Association. MasterCard is a registered trademark of MasterCard International Incorporated. Green Dot is a registered trademark of Green Dot Corporation. Please see the back of your card for its issuing bank. Green Dot Bank, The Bancorp Bank, and MetaBank; Members FDIC. All rights reserved. All other registered marks are property of their respective owners. AccountNow Customer Care, P.O. Box 1966, San Ramon, CA 94583.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I first got email saying my online account was on lockdown, due to many times password was tried it was not me. They told me money card was fine. 3 days later someone used credit card numbers. They should have closed it had to resend info to get new card, 7 days later just got card, it happened again. Receive email saying, “We logged you out to due to password attempts.” This company I had 6 years never a problem, they have people in their system and do nothing about it. Need another company. Under investigation who did this. They need to shut them down.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I have had a card with AccountNow for 6 years or so now. As of 28 June 2018, when I went to withdraw funds from an ATM, I was declined for restricted card? I contacted customer service and was told that due to a charge of $8.98 and another of $127.15 both from different states and vendors and not the state I live in northern did I or was having any knowledge of who or what these transactions were, I was told that my card would be shut down and a new one would have to be issued. I had just received one direct deposit of two that have been being deposited on this same card for a couple of years now. I now have a $1090.00 that I cannot have access to with another dep of $1158.00 going to be or should be deposited for a total of $2248.00 that I have no access to.

Because I could not hardly understand the customer service rep when going through the security and ensuring my account I was told I didn't answer one of my security questions correctly and was told I had to fax a copy of the card in question, my photo ID, and my account number. I did this and after seeing the hundreds of all I can say is it made me very angry that my God how can there be so many like kind issues going on with this company and the attorney general or any authority hasn't investigated or even Bancorp Bank which my card is through???

I have already made changes and these people may get from me hell I don't know now from what I seen I could be months getting my money back or access to the funds down to possibly never seeing it again. For the amount I'm possibly facing to lose I promise if I do not get back every dime they at this corrupt agency will be exposed. I don't care I have to do so. My funds are both government disability pmts so I have ladders over the bs arbitration smoke screen these crooked people are hiding behind.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AccountNow Prepaid Card?

Original review: June 11, 2018

I applied for this card to be able to get direct deposit of income tax refund. I did MY son's taxes had them deposited. They froze the account. I've been trying to reach someone but nothing. They have our money on that card. The website won't let you do anything, when you call the 1800 number all it is a recording, no live person to talk to. I really need help because I need our money off that dreadful card.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I misplaced my wallet and thought my AccountNow Gold card was in the wallet...but turns out it was not but I called and requested a new card be expedited overnight which I had done one time before no problem. They tell me the card is blocked and that I needed to fax or mail a photo id, signed social security card and proof of address... Since I could not find my wallet my id and very stupidly my social security card was in the wallet. My paycheck had just been direct deposited the same day this happened. My entire check was on this card. I had bills to pay and my rent due also.

The date was May 4, 2018 I found my card within 15 minutes of calling and asked to have it unlocked so I could get my money off, no way would they budge, I spoke to two supervisors and two different customer service reps who just read over and over from the same script. I tried to put it where I hoped they would understand what if this happened to you, what if you had your entire paycheck locked up on a card and you could not get access to your money, I was told, "I am sorry but this is AccountNow Gold and we have to have proof of who you are." So I go get a new identity a new social security card, which is over a month into this and I finally call and ask them, "Where do I fax this to?" They gave me the no. and then said I had to have a bank statement, a utility bill or a copy of my mortgage to show where I live!!

My id has this, I sent all in and called back to make sure they received it and I would get my card sent to me overnight for $25.00. Guess what? NO...they told me 5 business days to get the paperwork I faxed over verified. I lost it. I totally broke down, I have already received another paycheck and next week I will get another paycheck and now I still do not have my paycheck unlocked a month and 6 days later and I am still waiting for this. Today Saturday which is day no. 4 since they said 5 business days, but Saturday does not count. I know that when I call Monday they will say I still need something...I just know they will do this.

This company is the worst company to deal with. Their call center is in another country and you cannot understand what they are saying and they cannot understand what you are saying either. It is very frustrating to even talk to them. I fully agree that they need to be shut down, or their rules need to change. They are using the money to gather interest and they use the cheapest labor to answer the phone lines. How can they possibly hold your money for so long and this is legal? They have to release your money. It is yours but yet here they are holding and holding my money. I am going to report them to the attorney general and also the BBB Monday. IF YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNTNOW GOLD CARD CLOSE IT OUT NOW, GET ALL YOUR MONEY OFF. THEY WILL KEEP IT FOR ANY REASON POSSIBLE. They are crooks.

Original review: June 8, 2018

PLEASE READ AS I SHARE MY STORY. AccountNow is terrible. I would NEVER recommend anyone using their service. 4/25/18 I called in to ask about a lost card. If a card was lost what were the different things I could do because I had an old card of theirs wanted to know if I could use that card instead. I was misunderstood. Next thing I know I was told my card was being canceled, without my consent. Two weeks later was suppose to get another card but for some reason it never received it. I was told I have to wait another 2 weeks. My checks were coming on the card and it was nothing they could do to get my money off. I had to pay rent and got behind, I struggled to get to work because I was told there's nothing they could do to help me. I spoke with all supervisors! I called everyday explaining I cannot wait. I needed to pay rent.

Then there was a solution where it would be express delivery, but I had to answer security questions that I didn't remember because it was so long ago when I did them. Since I got 1 question wrong my entire account was on block and they couldn't even send anything out AT ALL! I was furious. I explained to them even though I'm giving you guys personal information such as my social, date of birth, email address, there is nothing you guys can do. I had to send a copy of my social, drivers license and proof of resident. Let me remind you guys it's been 3 1/2 weeks and I still was not able to pay rent, get transportation to work, buy food to eat because my money was on the card. I finally got to send them the information and they told me it may take to 5 to 7 days just to review a fax I sent off my information they asked for! I finally received my card a month later. I believe this is a fraud service. I will not ever use them again.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I did a cash reload at a register and my money never posted to my card so I attempted to call the company and after multiple attempts of getting an explanation they requested that I fax or send the receipt so I did. I was told within 24 hours the money would be back on the card and since then it's gone on to be at least 10 days with nothing and they don't do anything about it. Their customer service is insanely crappy. They literally just stole my money for no reason and have no accountability for it and unless I want to sue them there's nothing I can do. It would cost more money to sue them and it would be hard to even have them served so they can continue to rip people off and get away with it. I suggest you protect yourself and don't mess with this company at all.

Original review: May 15, 2018

This company stole $800 from me. My job deposited $502 after I closed this account. Now we are having trouble getting the money back when AccountNow should have rejected it. Plus I’m looking for $298 that was already on the card. They give you the runaround. You can barely get through to customer service and if you call the bank associated with the card they say they can’t help you. You have to contact AccountNow. They allow charges you don’t recognize on your account. They don’t allow you to dispute anything. Then sometimes they freeze your card then you end up get declined for your purchase and they charge you a decline fee when you have money. This company really needs a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.

Original review: May 3, 2018

This place is the most illegal organization out there for prepaid cards. They took $500 out of my account and now refuse to put it back in. This was not an error on my part but on AccountNow and the ATM machine. It was proven that the funds were not disbursed due to the ATM machine malfunctioning and AccountNow still refuses to put the money back on there. So now it’s a consumer review and then a complaint with the BBB. Do not get a card with these people!!!

Original review: May 3, 2018

I've been a customer for 3 months now with my paychecks automatically deposited biweekly. I formerly used Netspend, but was tired of their fees. With Netspend I got my paycheck like clockwork on Mondays, at the exact time for two years. Now with AccountNow card I get it the following day (Tuesday) about 20 hours later than with Netspend. I asked the non English speaking customer service people why this is, and was told "you won't always get your direct deposit at the same time". Horse **. I can barely understand their non English speaking employees, and if you ask to speak to another it's the same thing. So next issue I had was only being able to take 300 a day out of account. For real?? Ok now I'm really pissed.

They offer a 15$ bonus if you have two months of consecutive direct deposits over 500$. I'm thinking "whoopie... They've taken more than that in fees!!" So I call repeatedly (15 times total) and it's saying that I'm not eligible for the bonus. But the customer service say I am. I've been put on hold endlessly, transferred, hung up on, referred to another department and flat out lied to. I'm done with them today I reported them to the FTC and the FCC and am turning in a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. Always remember this for future reference. If the company can't employ American workers that speak our language, what makes you think they care about your money once they get ahold of it?? Done. Save yourself the turmoil and get a real prepaid card from a real American company that deals with real money and real people.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I had a AccountNow Debit card for about 6 months, when I had two unauthorized charges put on my account, after calling and disputing the charges, I contacted the companies that charge me and found that I was NEVER associated with the authorized charges. After awaiting a mailed letter or call about the disputes (only 2), I went into a major department store pay for a purchase I was ready to buy, after coming to find out that ACCOUNTNOW CLOSED MY ACCOUNT WITHOUT MY PERMISSION AND MY FUNDS WERE THEN COMPLETELY UNTOUCHED.

I was furious, I called AccountNow, the Rep stated my card was closed due to the fact "I was not able to keep the card secure", which was not my fault and credit card/debit fraud happens everyday (millions of times a day in the world). And the worst part, check this out... I wouldn't receive my money (in a paper mail form) until 50 DAYS AFTER MY ACCOUNT CLOSED. Don't even bother ladies and gentleman with ACCOUNTNOW. My advice to Green Dot Corporation, drop this subsidiary Debit Card from your association and treat your customers the way they deserve. That is exactly why the ACCOUNTNOW has 'the most negative reviews' on the web for a pre-paid card. They will steal your money and run, then mail you a check 3 months later. Shame on AccountNow.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Time after time this bank has giving me numerous of problems. They cancel cards without telling you. My online bank statement is never accurate. My card was stolen and all they could tell me was wait 7 days for a new one. I couldn’t transfer money to another card so I couldn’t buy food. I couldn’t pay bills. I lost money in the end because I couldn’t go on my vacation without any money. So plane tickets and hotel deposit is down the drain. Do not use this company!! I’m warning you smh.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have been a customer with "Account Now" Prepaid debit card for over ten years, who banks with MetaBank and Bancorp out in California. I have no contact info for the headquarter in San Ramon CA. I have over 2.000.00 USD locked up in their institution. I get direct deposit from my employer to this prepay card. Without any phone calls or any notification. They have locked me out. I have no access to my hard earned money. They told me I got restricted because of a refund from Philippine Airlines. I have jumped through their hoops to open the account several times. They requested picture of my mailing address, a photo ID and the receipt from the airlines. I sent in addition, My Passport, Birth certificate, My DD-0214 and still, I am not able to get access to my money. I am considering legal action.

Original review: April 10, 2018

This company customer service is terrible. They locked my account. I’ve sent them all the info they needed and they still have my account blocked. All my money is on this card. I can’t pay my rent and they declined 2 of my credit card payment when I have over $3,000 in my account.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I will NEVER recommend anyone to use them! RUN! I have had fraud on my account more times than I can count. The most recent time I had it on my account, because they didn't deactivate and close my previous debit card that I reported fraud on in February! Mind you it's April now, and the card was never closed and there was even more fraud charges on my account! They tell me I have to wait for the money to be returned to me, when it was clearly their negligence! Once I finally got someone who understood my frustration due to their incompetence! She then hung up on me! I'll definitely never use them again! Big jokes!

Original review: April 2, 2018

My ID was stolen along with my card and after ordering a new card I was locked out of my account because someone tried to order card under my name so even after paying 25 dollars to expedite my new card I then got locked out of my new card and they closed my account without my consent. They have MY MONEY and even after sending proof of ID I'm told I'll have to wait to 5 weeks to receive a check. AFTER they feel like getting around to looking over the verification... I want to call the news about this whole situation.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Someone stole my money off my AccountNow card. I talked to one of your customer service rep and was told to write a complaint but doesn't see where to do it. Someone from California has been stealing my hard earn money. I want my money back. I live in Philadelphia. I did not give no one my account info. I am a single mom with two kids. I work hard for my money. Someone has to please help me get my money back.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have been using AccountNow for a couple of months now. I'm very dissatisfied with the service. I saw an unexplained charge that I didn't make. Called customer service. They cancelled the card and they was supposed to send a replacement card and I can file a dispute and they would do an investigation. According to them they done an investigation and they didn't find no error. I ask for them to send me a copy of their investigation because I want to know how you came up with that decision. Runaround is what I got. I never received the replacement card.

After waiting 2 weeks I got a runaround from them when I kept calling. I never received the new card. Customer service wanted me to pay an additional $35 to expedite it FedEx. After waiting beyond 2 weeks I agreed they have charged me for 2 replacement cards I never received. Then $35 to expedite another one. A week later I received the card I was waiting on almost 4 weeks later. They are the worse prepaid card service.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I was trying to use my card last evening and the card was declined. I then tried an ATM and again the card was declined. I called this morning to figure out what was wrong with the card and was informed that the card and services have been canceled. There was no call or email or any information as to why the card and services have been canceled. Furthermore, my funds will be sent to me by check and it may take up to 5 weeks. This will cause incredible hardship as all of my money is tied to this card and bills will obviously be due within 5 weeks. I've used this card for years and will be passing the word, not to use this service. This is bad business!!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I'd used Accountnow for about 5-6 years with no issues. This past December, 2 cards (BOTH ACTIVE) were sent to me to replace my currently expiring card. I could not sign into my account online because both cards were causing a conflict with the one account. I called and brought this to their attention. For 3 weeks I could not access my account online but could via text and phone. Before a big direct deposit, and since the issue had not been corrected, I CALLED AND ASKED SPECIFICALLY IF MY DIRECT DEPOSIT SHOULD BE STOPPED. I was told that all would be well.

1 day after my direct deposit was made, my account was hacked for $500.00. This was a part of my rent payment. After being put through a dispute process, I was told 2 weeks later that my money would be returned. So a CSR ordered a new card for me only to inform me another 2 weeks later that I no longer had an account and would have to wait 5 weeks for a reimbursement check. Well, I come to find out that the check was FINALLY processed ANOTHER 2 WEEKS LATER AND THE COUNTDOWN FOR THE 5 WEEKS BEGAN THE DAY IT WAS PROCESSED (YES 2 WEEKS LATER). So a problem that I brought to their attention has caused me to be behind on all of my bills, robbing Peter to pay Paul, 2-3 months later. Their nonchalantness and smugness over the phone was enraging and I still do not have my money.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have been a faithful AccountNow user for over 9 years, they closed 3 of my accounts without warning, for no reason and never notified me. When I spoke to CS I got a read from the monitor answer, they did the same to my daughter the week before. No notice, email or nothing. I would have never thought as a long time card holder that I would be treated like this. I made sure everybody, at least twenty people, that I know uses their card changed companies - and I know plenty more. No care and of my direct deposits, I hate to see how you treat your enemies.

Original review: March 13, 2018

AccountNow does not provide information for the reason they deny your claim nor do they truly review their cases to find errors that leaves their customers affected by their poor investigation actions. Two days ago I called them for help with a claim. I was disputing a $213 charge . M claim was not even investigated for more than 3 days before closed by them. Usually this takes 10-45 days to complete. Luckily I retried speaking with the merchant who caused this charge from my fixed income which was affected critically by this issue I encountered. Beware of what this card company's definition of insured funds really means. This card provides your money no security at all and can care less about the theft that can potentially happen. They do not care. They will not help you or give you any answers or provide any evidence for why they feel that no errors have occurred. Basically accusations that you stole your own money.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I have been with this company (AccountNow - Bancorp/MetaBank) few years. This year I started having my paychecks direct deposited. I moved mind you almost two years ago, went online change my mailing information on both accounts. Well I notice I had not yet received my new card, because I knew that my current was due to expire in the next month. So, I contacted them, their suggestion was for me to go my old address and ask for MY CARD (REALLY)! I EXPLAINED TO HER THAT WAS IMPOSSIBLE. So, she then decided to sent a replacement card (which canceled out the current card I was using)! I call back again trying the use the card next day. Guess what (declined). At this point I am furious with them. I could not understand the rep., so I ask to speak to someone I could understand.

Then finally spoke with a man. He said because the other rep., should have informed of this, he let me do a one-time withdraw as I was on the phone with him. I took out $500, thinking that I would have my card next week. Wrong. Few days later, they sent it to the wrong address, then I wanted them to expedite my card via FedEx, I would answer some security questions. No problem ask them, I had to literally spell out "where I was born" several times and the other two questions "that process took me 30 minutes!” I COULD NOT UNDERSTAND HIM AND HE COULD NOT UNDERSTAND ME! AND THE SECURITY ANSWERS, WERE WRONG! NO SURPRISE...

THIS IS B.S., BECAUSE I NEED MY MONEY FROM MY ACCOUNT. This happened on Feb. 2018 and today I still don’t have my money and the card I received they won’t let me activate it due the fact that because of their rep (who does not speak good English)! Messed up my questions. "Hello", I had to send them proof of who I am and wait 5 freaking days for them to decide if I am who I say I am! Frustrating, I do not who else to talk to to get my money!

Original review: March 12, 2018

I've reported my card lost in February 2018 and was instructed to upload documents to the online website. On February 28 they received my utility bill, social security #, and driver license. A week later they said to send in a full picture of the utility bill. Another week later they need a picture of my paycheck stub. Here it is March 12 and still no card. Rent is PAST due, bills are behind and every other day I have to send in something new. I wouldn't recommend this card to nobody. I regret getting it and not opening up a bank account. I cant get access to no funds, they cant even transfer funds even though I have a account and routing number. So I guess now I'm at the point where Im forced to be evicted because I can't get any access of any funds???

Original review: March 11, 2018

Class action all the way. I have been doing business with this company for years and always trusted the call, I never check my account statement online before because I always call and listen to the automated service that would outline my transactions, I trusted that service. Most recently, I have been receiving large amounts of deposits, but when I check my account, for the first time online, I was appalled the account summary had no balance along with deductions. So when I look at a transaction there is no balance. The balance do appear at the outset of my statement and that's no good. When I add up the proper balance there balance is off by hundreds of dollars. I know there must be a class action to join on this matter, if not then let me be the start of one.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I applied for this prepaid card online. Was told you receive your direct deposits sooner easy to use and no fees. Almost all of that information is fraudulent. I received my federal tax return on 02/21/2018 and paid a bill, booked a flight and took off some money. The following morning 02/22/2018 I went to purchase gas and my card was declined. After spending 20 minutes trying to get a representative on the line I was told that my account was restricted and I needed to prove my identity to regain access.

I was also told it would only take 24 hours and I would have complete access to my funds. That was on a Friday and they don't work on the weekends so Monday comes I call no update. Tuesday the same thing, this time I ask to speak to a manager and the call center does not have managers only supervisors and they are the highest point of escalation. Anyways no update only that my documents were sent in on 02/22/2018. Here it's Wednesday. The 72 hour timeframe is up and not only is there no update they claim they just received an email stating that there was an error with uploads and it will now be 5 business days before they review my documents.

They told me this is done in the "back office" so I asked to speak to someone in the back office and guess what? They don't have extension numbers for the back office. I'm not allowed to speak to them. I ask for a manager and I get another call center representative saying they are the supervisor. I am truly beginning to think they don't have the funds to allow me to access my money. Why else would they do this to what seems like everyone. I will update in two business days.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I thought of using a prepaid card, would be have more easier for money to paid bills. Nationwide Insurance agent approved my payment to refund back on my AccountNow card with a cancellation document. I've talked with so many customer service rep and supervisor (manager). Nobody took their time to help me. Every customer service representative gave me two different fax number (925) 217-0050 and (925) 217-0052... Cancellation paper was send in on last Friday and yesterday, still no sign of two cancellation papers. Taking to my own matters to give them a bad review and I'll never give "Account Now" my business... Never again!!! Poor customer service.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I am an account holder for many many years. My account has a restriction on it because I recently had a deposit posted to my card for 10,000.00. It is going on five days that I have absolutely no access to my money. All my credit card payments are bouncing back and my utility bill that I processed on their website never went out, which caused chaos of being shut off. I sent all my documents they requested to them and nothing is happening to lift the restriction. I need my money so I can fix the damaged this has caused to my credit. I need to also pay a 2000.00 utility bill. How can this be legal? Their reps have nothing to say but sorry and they repeat themselves like robots but no help at all. When I speak to supervisor they hang up on me. I can just imagine them laughing at me. I have no choice but take legal action and report this to the Attorney General.

AccountNow Prepaid Card expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Founded in 2004, AccountNow is one of the most trusted brands in the alternative banking sphere. The company was a finalist in the category of Best Unbanked & Underserved Program at the 2007 and 2009 Prepaid Card Expos.

• High deposit maximum: Consumers may add up to $10,000 per day through direct deposit and $1,500 for cash loading. Third parties may have their own limits and additional fees.

• Cash available quickly: Direct deposits and electronic payments are usually available the same business day. Additionally, cash deposits made through money transfer services are generally available immediately.

• How to add cash: In addition to direct deposit, money transfer services can load cash such as MoneyGram®, WesternUnion®, Visa ReadyLink and more.

• Low monthly service fee: The fee structure is clearly explained on the company website. ATM fees range from $1.00 to $2.50. Monthly charges range from no charge to $9.95. Transaction fees range from zero to $1.00 per transaction.

• Direct deposit bonus: There is a $15 direct deposit bonus for setting up $500 auto-deposit and meeting other conditions.

• Refer-a-Friend program: Consumers receive a $20 cash bonus for referring a friend, and the associate receives a $10 cash bonus as well.

• Best for: It is a good alternative for those turned away from traditional banking due to banking issues. Also, it is helpful for consumers interested in depositing Social Security checks.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg