3.1/5 (112 reviews)

About ZipRecruiter

ZipRecruiter is a website that helps job seekers to find open positions and lets hiring managers advertise and find quality candidates for their businesses. Job seekers can start an account, apply for jobs and manage their resume all from the website. Business accounts can search resumes, post listings and manage candidates. The company has multiple plan levels to fit different business sizes and needs. ZipRecruiter is free for job seekers.

Pros

• Large database of resumes
  • Free for job seekers
  • High number of job postings

Cons

• More expensive than competitors
  • Short trial period for businesses

Bottom Line

ZipRecruiter is a robust hiring tool for candidates and employers. It posts millions of jobs and maintains a database of resumes and salary insights. While its services are free for job seekers, businesses may see a higher cost.

ZipRecruiter Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ZipRecruiter?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

This company charge me $600.00 for the absolute worst service ever. Every candidate that was sent did not meet any of my job requirements. Their catch line is (guaranteed qualified candidate in the first day) that is a false statement. After talking to a customer service rep they never even offered any type for refund for their false advertisement and unhappy customer but they were sure very happy to take the money with no results. I would recommend not to use this service. Indeed.com has a much better program with much better results.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I returned to the ZipRecruit platform looking for new work after about a 2 year hiatus. I logged in and updated my profile and attempted to apply for a job. I received an error, however, that my current email needed to be updated to proceed. Not sure why, I changed it to a backup with the intention of reverting it back to the original email (I didn't want potential employer messages sent to my backup). Although when I tried to switch it back, the platform sent me an error message that my professional email was invalid, even though I had just signed in with it.

I reached out to their support department and they were dismissive of my claims, telling me that I needed to reset my browser's cache and cookies and that's all that could be done. I wasn't very happy with being brushed off and made another request, this time having my ticket reviewed by the internal team. After a few days, I was told that my problem could not be resolved and that I would have to live with using my backup email, despite their platform forcing me to change it. So now my resumé and my cover letters direct communication to my professional email, but ZipRecruiter points to a janky backup email. I'm not inclined to use the Zip Recruit platform now because it will supply my backup email for communications which is not where I field new work opportunities. Not happy that my profile was forced to be incorrect.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

I posted a job as an employer seeking candidates. They encourage you and lead you to believe by boosting the ad you will get more candidates! They provided no actual service. They are misleading and deceiving. Customer service is nonexistent! Horrible experience in every way. Taking advantage of small businesses by offering a service they can’t always provide. Read the reviews! Over 800.00 spent and NO candidates!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

We were promised a trial period they did not honor. Then told the monthly fee was $249 if we did not cancel. We canceled after 15 days because we did not get the response we expected. We were billed $336 for 15 days!!!! Run from this dishonest company, you cannot trust them.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

A company this big and successful should not be sending hard copy mailings to people who don't want them. I gave my info to their company once and then didn't use them and I get constant hard copy mailings. They have zero concern for the environment. I don't do business with companies that do this.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I had signed up for a free trial and then never got around to using the service because it got too busy at my place of work...I had no idea that when the free trial ended that they were going to charge me 24 dollars a day...when I found out through my bank account that they had charged me $504 dollars for 26 days of their service which when I logged in to see what I was being charged for was only 15 impressions not even 15 resumes sent to my job listing...when I explained to their customer service that I had no idea they were charging me 24 dollars a day they said sorry and told me I was liable...

I will never use ZipRecruiter ever again. Matter of fact I've never used them because they are charging me for a service I never used I had only thought I had signed up for a free trial...BEWARE!! This service is not worth the money and definitely do not sign up for a free trial because it is not free!!! This company does not care about its customers and the customer service would have to be zero stars!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

I closed my job listing but kept getting charged. Called to customer service and was told they can only refund 3 month charges so I'm paying $888 for 2 days listing. Honestly never had good candidates apply. Indeed.com has outperformed in every way possible. I have no need for Ziprecruiter as there are many much better and far cheaper alternatives.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

As an employer, we used ZipRecruiter multiple times; it was a huge and costly fiasco to say the least. After brief phone interviews, I set up countless meetings with no show candidates. Very few prospects had information, specifically past employment history that could be verified. The few candidates that we ended up hiring ended up being dishonest, unreliable, drug using thieves costing us even more time and money.

A year or so later, I was desperate and tried ZR again. I was careful to manage my expectations, knowing that maybe three out of ten might show up. I even concluded my phone calls asking them to please call if they changed their mind. Again, I tried out a few guys - one was actually homeless in glaring contrast to his application. We decided to give him a chance, regardless. This person ended up ruining our reputation with multiple contractors and customers. I could go on for hours with dozens of horror stories about the candidates that we found on this site.

As employers we pay very competitively, treat our employees extremely well, and give plenty of chances but were still unable to find any reliable, trustworthy, people with any ounce of work ethic. I will point out that we had similar experiences with other agencies. Suffice it to say that sadly we seem to have entered a new level of low when it comes to finding quality people in the work force.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I posted a job as an employer seeking candidates. They encourage you and lead you to believe by boosting the ad you will get more candidates! Lol! They provided no actual service. They are misleading and deceiving. Customer service is nonexistent! Horrible experience in every way. Taking advantage of small businesses by offering a service they can’t always provide. Read the reviews! Tons of legit bad ones! Stay clear! Over 700.00 spent and NO candidates!

Original review: June 12, 2022

Out of desperation I signed up for Ziprecruiter in hopes of finding quality candidates for my small business (cafe). They did not send me a single good candidate. I would get emails saying "great match" only to see that the candidate had zero experience related to the job openings. Also, it is misleading to promise employers a searchable database of candidates when you cannot view any resumes without upgrading from the already expensive $500 plan.

I was contacted by a sales rep trying to upsell me yet another $300+ to boost the job listings because they weren't getting views despite the rep acknowledging that the keywords, job titles, location, etc. were fine. Luckily I was smart enough that time to say no and cancel the subscription before being charged another $500 for NO RESULTS. If you're a small business owner, I would highly suggest you save your hard earned money and don't let this company take advantage of you during these already difficult times.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I was contacted by Joshua several times with ZipRecruiter about posting my job needs on their platform for candidates. During my free trial period I had not found any candidates that matched my needs or came close to matching my needs. ZipRecruiter uses a lot of click bait to attract companies to their site. After my free trial Joshua reached back out to me assuring me that I needed to leave my post up for longer and stated I should get a subscription and they would drive more candidates to my post. I got the subscription on 5/19/2022 and today is 06/03/2022 as of today I have only found 3 candidates out of 149 that have come close to my needs. My post was for licensed plumbers, but I was getting everything but what my job description and skillset was targeting.

When I reached out to my acct person Joshua twice via email be did not respond, so I reached out to ZipRecruiter chat and was told that I could cancel my subscription, but I would not be refunded and we are charged for a full month upfront. When I raised concerns about the length of time and not finding any candidates the rep told me there was nothing she could do. I then asked for a Supervisor and was told there was nobody available for her to escalate the call to and again I was told there are no refunds.

Explain to me if it's been 11 business days and I've only identified 3 candidates out of 149 that could possible be a fit and the others are candidates that have been recycled or have no resumes to match beneficial to our company. It is a waste of money and time, when it comes to skilled labor workers. PLEASE DO NOT USE ZIPRECRUITER!!! They bait you in and most of the resumes are old and out dated and the candidates that apply to skill specific jobs don't have the experience, certifications or licenses you are requiring for them to do the job.

Original review: May 20, 2022

The absolute WORST hiring platform. Please believe the 1 star reviews as these are the honest ones, all the 5 stars must be fake and paid for. I posted on both ZipRecruiter AND Indeed. The difference was astounding in both quantity of candidates and quality, as in - matching the job description! They go on and on about their superior visibility on job boards and being able to outperform the competition. Don't fall for it! They make you pay $500-$700 UPFRONT to get started. Indeed only charges you PER CANDIDATE that YOU APPROVE! Think about that. It's not a money back guarantee, but it does give you some control over what you are paying for. Do yourselves a big favor and avoid these people, I can't believe they have a good rating with industry professionals. Must be back pocket payoffs.

Original review: April 12, 2022

A complete waste of my time and money. Free trial as well. Be careful. This is a scam for trial your card on file will be charged. DO NOT PUT YOUR CARD INFORMATION DOWN. IT WILL BE CHARGED.. THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM...

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

I was told that Zip Recruiter had hundreds of candidates in their database that would match my position by Darryl ** the rep that co texted me. It was a licensed Virginia State police safety inspector. We were looking for a mechanic who was also safety inspector licensed. Virginia requires that every vehicle that is registered and has license plates get a Virginia safety inspection. So this is a very common thing in the state. He told me there was hundreds of licensed safety inspectors in his database looking for employment in my immediate area. I explained to him in detail that we were a brand new business and that I did not have a lot of money for an ad. I just wanted to post one for a couple days to see how it went.

He aggressively tried to sell me on something more. Pretty much told me that it wouldn’t work at all unless I did the full month. That it needed time to build candidates. I reluctantly agreed after he promised to throw in a $60 upgrade. So he looked at the ad that I wrote and totally rewrote it. The next day I checked my account and guess what, I was not only charged the $400 for the month for one ad, I was also charged the $60 that was promised for free. After a couple emails this finally got credited back.

After about 10 days I did not get one candidate that was licensed. I don’t know what kind of algorithm they use or who is doing the matching, but this was a very specific job. The person had to be licensed by the Virginia state police as a vehicle safety inspector. They matched me with forklift drivers, general laborers, and waitresses. All the rest of the candidates had no information except a name. It was probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.

After about two weeks somebody contacted me about why we weren’t getting any good candidates, and his first answer was it was because the ad was written wrong, lol! I guess he didn’t get the memo that they wrote the ad. Then he said it was because I needed to spend more money. I mean who would spend more money on something that was yielding zero results! He refused to cancel the membership at that time I had to pay for the entire month even though all of the promises they made were lies. I told him I wanted it to cancel as soon as the month ended.

Another week later another rep contacted me trying to sell me more product. I told him that I had already set it to cancel and this is the one thing that I am thankful for, was if he didn’t call then I would’ve been charged again for another month that I could never get back. Because they never put in the cancellation. After a few choice words it was finally canceled!

Do not believe them when they tell you they have multiple candidates in your field. I don’t know what field this works for but automotive is not one of them. Yes you will get applicants! But I would have better results standing in my front yard holding up a sign. None of these people were even close to being right for this position. I told him specifically from the very beginning that this person had to be licensed, why they were sending me random waitresses and laborers I have no idea. That would be fine if it was even a license that could be gotten easily, but it is not. This is a position where you need to be licensed prior to being hired.

Maybe if you have thousands and thousands of dollars to spend on one employee this will work for you but if you’re a small business don’t even try it. I yielded better results from Craigslist. One $25 Craigslist ad got me 10 applicants, three of which were actually licensed, one of which I hired. This has been the worst waste of money. If you just feel like you want to get rid of 500 but should be better to use it as toilet paper.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

I may as well have set my $ on fire. What a HUGE WASTE. The dude helping me talks me into the extra (not free trial) because he said it would get me pushed to the top of the board and I would get better matches for my job, which I really need people! So I bite. A week later I am getting crap! My job was in construction, a builder w/ experience REQUIRED, and what I got from this “we match the top, qualified candidates to employers, so it says in their radio ads” I got pizza deliver people apply w/ 0 experience! Wtf? Seriously! Now all of the sudden dude that helped me… MIA… Worst service ever!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

The salesperson, Alfred **, tried to high pressure sell me on my first call with ZipRecruiter, which should have been an indication for me to not do business with them. However the following week I reluctantly agreed and that was a huge mistake. I got zero qualified candidates despite being promised a huge number of candidates and there was absolutely zero follow up or customer support. This company is not about helping business owners find qualified applicants but rather they are all about taking your hard earned money. I signed up for a month and within a couple of weeks I wanted to terminate their service or should I say lack thereof and I wanted a refund, but of course I was told by a rude customer service rep that that ain’t happening. Typical poor customer experience all the way around.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

After placing an ad on ZipRecruiter I was contacted by a salesman that offered a next level service that included curated resumes from people who didn't want to answer help wanted ads and who instead were relying on ZipRecruiter to connect them with qualified employers. The salesman showed me a website that listed 10 candidates that he said met all the requirements of our initial ad and were in the same town as my business as well as additional people in surrounding towns.

The resumes we received were not from our industry as promised, not in our town and had limited skills from related industries. The salesman was supposed to call in a week to make sure we were satisfied. He never did. His parting comment from our original conversation is he wouldn't want me to write a bad review if he didn't deliver on his promises, so he was going to make sure that he did. The service was supposed to be a trial, so I assumed it would be 30 days. ZipRecruiter continued to charge my credit card after the trial ended.

The first mistake I made was believing the salesman. The second was hoping the resumes they were sending would get better. The third was not realizing the original help wanted ad had an automatic renewal and when the salesman switched me to the new service the auto renewal applied. It should have switched back to the less expensive help wanted ad if I didn't renew the upgraded service or at least someone should have contacted me to see if I wanted to continue the service.

By not paying attention ZipRecruiter charged my credit card for the initial $1720.25 upgrade as well as 2 additional months at $2093.06 each. When I emailed the salesman someone else answered and customer service refunded the charge they had just made. When I asked about the first 2 charges and explained I didn't receive what I was promised there was no response. Because I didn't catch it earlier Visa said it was on me to monitor and cancel the ZipRecruiter service if I wasn't satisfied.

Beyond the salesman lying about the candidates he had to offer, ZipRecruiter relies on you getting busy and not monitoring renewal dates and then hiding behind the auto renewal rules in their contract that are then backed up by Visa. ZipRecruiter does not send an email notifying you they are renewing your contract for another month or an email acknowledging they have charged your credit card. Most subscription companies with auto renewing policies do. Well maybe just the reputable ones. I'll never place an ad with ZipRecruiter again, but others will, and many will make the same mistakes I did. I hope you're not one of them.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

ZipRecruiter is a easy to use job search platform and the suggested jobs that are sent are extremely helpful. I’ve been out of work for some time now but I have had some really good leads using Zip Recruiter.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Zip Recruiter has been a great big help to me when looking up a zip code for someone that I need to find, or an address that I use to live at before and I need the zip, or maybe an out of state or country zip, or here is a good one how about the military zip codes.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

Really impressed with how quickly positions are listed, are a good fit for your particular set of skills (populated on the website), and how fast companies that are interested in you respond. Nice, well-organized site to use. Thank You.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

When I used to Zip Recruiter I was satisfied on how they always try looking for jobs for me. The only thing I wasn’t satisfied with which is very important is the accuracy of the type of job that I wanted and describe them. They would send me notifications for dishwashing positions when I apply for Porter positions for buildings.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

A total scam. I've been trying to discuss my insanely high bill but they are ignoring my concerns. 5 applicants (and only 50 views) in a month, 3 of which aren't even from people on my continent and a bill for $648 from these scam artists. This company preys on small business owners. RUN!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Zip Recruiter sends me qualified job posts and listings on a regular basis. I would recommend Zip Recruiter to anyone interested in looking for a job, or simply staying informed about what is happening in the job market of their choice and/or profession. They even offer a "Quick Reply" option for job seekers to apply easily and efficiently from your computer without the need to constantly upload your resume! I highly recommend Zip Recruiter from my own personal and professional experience!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I don’t like how these apps take you thru so many advertisements that have nothing to do with the employment opportunity. I clicked on the link to view in the first place or the fact it’s wants a resume when unfortunately not all people have a resume or they are too new to the employment world to even have one

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

We received a coupon to advertise our job for free 7 days and pay $13 per day at expiration, we got charged $542.72 after three days of posting a job on their portal. We tried all we could to get issues resolved but no one has responded to us to provide us answers on these fraudulent acts. We have been using Indeed and other job recruiting sites, we have never experienced such a dubious act coming from a business that is considered reputable. We will need our total refunds, the account was canceled immediately because we did not consider this company reputable. Kindly investigate this company mode operation and marketing strategies. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

ZipRecruiter sends me job leads every day! I really appreciate that they send me leads for positions that I am qualified for! Some job sites just send you anything whether or not you are qualified. I would recommend zip recruiter for these reasons. They also will show your resume to potential employers.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

The ease of use and the quick responses have been encouraging. The selection of job opportunities in my field is good. I like the feel of a personal recruiter as well. Make it feel like you are working with a program that is looking out for your best interest.

ZipRecruiter response

Hello, Deidre! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience while job searching on ZipRecruiter. We're so glad you've been enjoying the platform! Should you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us directly. Our dedicated customer care team is always here and happy to help!

TC
Customer Experience

ZipRecruiter

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I have been using ZR for a month or so now and while I haven't accepted a position, I like how it passively pushes job opportunities to me and improves over time based on opening that I delve into as well as feedback I provide on email digests that they send to me. I would highly recommend adding ZR to your job search tool kit.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

Managing and directing the management & line staff of 292 to ensure the daily delivery of clean and safe environment for the patients, their families, visitors and the public. Additionally, I've operated successfully within the budgetary guidelines. I've established an excellent relationship with the various administrations as well as my peers of other Department Directors.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

We have a small business and tried the free trial Zip Recruiter was advertising to fill a position. We were unknowingly billed for $16 per day. Their advertisement did not state we would be charged that amount. When I contacted them they refused to offer a remedy or show any concern at all. We only received a handful of candidates. Some did not meet the qualifications we were looking for and others were not even from our area.

ZipRecruiter Company Information