StraighterLine Reviews

straighterline.com

About StraighterLine

StraighterLine offers online higher education courses in multiple subjects. Course prices start at $59, and the company offers a membership program for $99 a month. StraighterLine has a transfer credit guarantee to over 150 colleges and universities. Their credits have been accepted at over 2,000 institutions across the U.S.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Self-paced learning
  • Free e-textbooks and tutoring
  • Affordable college courses
Cons
  • Monthly subscription required
  • Limited credit transferability

StraighterLine Reviews

Stars Rating

• 63%
  • 11%
  • 2%
  • 2%
  • 23%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StraighterLine?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StraighterLine?
    PricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 1, 2022

I really like StraighterLine. You can work on it as you please and the materials are really easy to understand and go through. It fits to my schedule. But it gets expensive once you don't finish the time that you want to. Other than that, it's doable and it helps that they have promos sometimes.

Pinned

Great to hear. Thanks, Rea!

Customer Service

Reviewed June 28, 2022

There are a ton of courses that they can take at StraighterLine and it's super easy to get started and follow along with. I also liked that everything was in one place. It was easy to find what I needed to do and when I needed to do it. I liked that it was self-paced and that made things a little bit easier. If I ever needed anything, instructor-wise or question-wise, I could always email. I would hear back within the same day or early the next morning, so I never was left hanging.

Pinned

Awesome, Morgan. So happy to hear that you had a positive experience. Thank you for the review!

Ease of Use

Reviewed June 18, 2022

Signing up with StraighterLine was intuitive and comprehensive. It worked well. I've been done with them for about a year now. Time management is important and you should stay on top of your stuff and you'll do great in those classes.

Pinned

Great to hear, Conner! Thank you for the feedback!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed June 15, 2022

It worked really well with StraighterLine. I just needed one class for my grad program and it was super convenient to do it online and from the comfort of my home. I liked that there were videos and as well as a book to kind of lead you depending on your learning style. Also, everyone in the customer service was really good and helped me with what I needed. StraighterLine was a great resource.

Pinned

Happy to hear that, Emily! Thank you for your feedback. Best of luck with your studies!

Ease of UseProcess

Reviewed June 14, 2022

StraighterLine's website was good but there could be some more detail. It could also be a little bit easier to use as far as the drop-down menus when it goes to the different topics. But other than that, it was fairly easy to use. I was in the program for a couple of months and being able to do it at my own pace whenever I had time helped in my success.

Pinned

Thank you for your feedback, Dylan. We greatly appreciate it. Best of luck with your studies.

Punctuality & SpeedOnline & AppEase of Use

Reviewed June 13, 2022

I found StraighterLine while trying to find a substitute for one of my classes because I couldn't get into it and I needed to graduate on time. Their website was super easy to navigate and I really liked that about it. Learning with them was also super easy. The class was really nice to go through and I enjoyed it. Trying to get everything done and following through as well as making sure you know what your schedule is helped in my success.

Pinned

So happy to hear that you had a positive experience, Gaby! Thank you for your review.

Reviewed June 9, 2022

I switched to StraighterLine because it seemed more advantageous and a little bit better of an option. The examples are very good and they made the concepts very easy to understand. But certain videos seemed they were way too advanced for someone who’s very new to the concept. Sometimes, they would jump very deep into the material without going from from the surface then working down. There were a few chapters that were a little bit confusing. Sometimes, I had to use external resources to be able to figure out certain concepts. But for the most part, I was able to get through everything. It was nice to have the little quizzes at the end of every section too. That was helpful.

I like the fact that StraighterLine allows people to use a graphing calculator for the exam because it takes an extremely long amount of time to work out some of those equations. I also liked the fact that StraighterLine doesn't put all the weight on the final exam. You can do all the graded exams, and the graded exams hold about 75% of the weight, while the final exam holds about 30%.

Pinned

Thank you for the feedback, Faheem. Best of luck with your studies moving forward!

Reviewed June 3, 2022

I used StraighterLine for extra practice because they had more questions. I was getting the same questions on the school that I was going through, which is WGU. I just used it mostly for extra practice. The questions were really good and made me think outside the box. I used StraighterLine for a short amount of time, but I do think it's one of the better options out there to get more practice compared to some of the other options like Chegg.

Pinned

Love hearing that you had a positive experience, Richard! Thanks for the review!

Reviewed May 31, 2022

I had a great experience with StraighterLine. It had good content and it wasn't too terribly hard. It was challenging enough to where I didn't ace everything I did. I took two courses. Precal, I stretched out for much longer than I should have, got it completed, and found out I needed to finish calculus in less than a month. So, I cranked down on calculus and got it done on time and did well because I thought precal was much harder than calculus. I was prepared well, and then it was all good. I recommended StraighterLine to a lot of people. There are five of my friends that are now taking courses through them next semester.

Pinned

Thanks for the recommendations, Randall! We're so happy to hear that you had a positive experience. Best of luck with your studies moving forward!

Reviewed May 30, 2022

StraighterLine was very cheap. My experience was very good, fun and easy.

Pinned

Happy to hear that. Thanks, Rene!

ReliabilityProcess

Reviewed May 29, 2022

My master's program is strictly online and StraighterLine's schedule matched best with the school. It would be cool if the course has a little memo where you make your own calendar within it. If you miss a day, you could note a time when you were gonna log in and if you didn't, it would send you a notification that you didn't log in. But I've been recommending StraighterLine to classmates. They're trying to get their masters and are a few units short.

Pinned

We're happy to hear you had a positive experience. Thanks, Katherine! Best of luck with your studies moving forward.

Reviewed May 28, 2022

The cost was a lot cheaper than CSU Global or a four-year school. That's good. I took one class through them and then I got my degree. It wasn't too bad of a class.

Pinned

Awesome to hear. Thanks, Devin!

Reviewed May 27, 2022

If I want to get my stuff done, they make it available. But it's completely up to me and I never had a personal instructor when I was going through them. That's what I liked about StraighterLine the most.

Pinned

We're so happy you had a positive experience, Vincent!

Reviewed May 26, 2022

I've recommended StraighterLine to a few of my friends that are in college.

Awesome! Thanks, Sam!

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 25, 2022

I had a good enrolment experience. Whenever I call, I always get somebody to respond to me in a 24-hour period of time. That was very helpful to learning. They broke Chemistry and Math down and explained things in a way that I will understand it. It was very easy for me to understand those concepts. They make sure you are on time with your assignments. And you have choices of how many times you can study and make sure you get a higher grade you want to get. Everything I've learned from there really helped me a lot. I can refer anybody to StraighterLine.

Pinned

We're so happy to hear that, Lessie! Best of luck with your future studies.

Reviewed May 21, 2022

I had more Science-based classes and I felt like some of the experiments weren’t applicable to the class. Also, the pricing for the lab kits was a bit much. the But other than that, everything else was fine.

Pinned

Thanks, Bernice! Best of luck with your future studies!

Reviewed May 14, 2022

Hello. I was very pleased with Straighterline and their employees. Chemistry was not easy and every time I asked for help, they responded within minutes. Yes, I would recommend Straighterline to a friend to help them further their education. Thank for your help and your encouragement.

Pinned

June, thank you for the positive review. We're happy to hear that our tutors were there to help you when you needed it. Best of luck with your future studies!

Reviewed May 14, 2022

I am grateful for everything StraighterLine did for me. I have finished all my courses, got good grades, and everything was excellent. I asked my school if they have received my transcript and they told me they did. I also gave StraighterLine a good review when I took my portfolio.

Pinned

Thanks, Sofia! We love hearing that you've had a positive experience, all-around. Best of luck with your future studies!

Reviewed May 14, 2022

I would highly recommend this course to my friends. I was behind on a math course and this was the best way to make it up! I am so grateful to Straighterline for helping me achieve this credit!! I will share my experience with my friends who are working towards their degree.

Pinned

So happy to hear that you had such a great experience, Tara! Best of luck with the rest of your studies!

Reviewed May 12, 2022

It was an amazing pleasant experience and I would recommend it to many more. I love the consistency and 24/7 help that is provided. The proctors for the exam are super nice and friendly no need to be afraid. They are here to help you.

Pinned

Thanks, Aneesha! We love hearing that you had a positive experience all-around. Thank you for the review!

Reviewed May 12, 2022

You’re not accredited and the 3 math classes I’ve taken aren’t considered at places that require accredited classes. This includes my job and other universities. My money was wasted by taking your courses. I don’t expect money back but it would’ve been knowing this going into it.

Pinned

Hi, James. We're sorry to hear that your experience was not a positive one. Our courses are ACE recommended which are accepted at over 2,000 colleges and universities nationwide. If you'd like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to reach out - jsutherland@straighterline.com.

CoveragePricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 9, 2022

I did StraighterLine and I received tuition reimbursement from the company I work for. Signing up with the school was really easy and it was all online. It was smooth, convenient, and worked perfectly to fit into my busy schedule. StraighterLine was the best way to cover a lot of the general education so it worked out really well. I appreciated them. I've got a couple more to go then I'll be done. For completing general education, StraighterLine is the only way to go. I've compared it to other alternatives. It is inexpensive and convenient. I'd recommend it.

Pinned

Thanks, Keith! We're so happy you were able to take advantage of this benefit through your employer and found the process easy and convenient. Wishing you the best!

Reviewed May 8, 2022

StraighterLine is great. I took four classes with them, and I liked it a lot. It was easy and everyone I spoke to were helpful. I had to a couple of different times. I took the Spanish class twice. The Spanish 1 was harder than expected, and there was one where it was saying one thing and my grade was completely different. They thought I had to go back and redo one assignment, but my grade was acceptable. They were able to fix everything.

The class portion was very reasonable, but when you're taking classes of another university, you have a family, you're working full time, and then you volunteer for a couple other things, for me, the membership wouldn't have taken so long. If I was in my 20s and this is what I had going on, I wouldn't have spent as much as I did because it could have been done even sooner. However, because of my situation, and there's other people who have four kids like I do, the $100 a month is a bit too much, especially with what's going on in the world.

Pinned

Thank you for the review, Brittanie. We're glad that you found our courses useful and that everyone was helpful. Best of luck with your future studies!

Customer Service

Reviewed May 7, 2022

I'm part of Chamberlain University and they referred me to StraighterLine to take classes. I signed myself up through the online website, which everything was very clear and straightforward. I also emailed a few times that I had some complications and they got back to me right away. I was super happy with StraighterLine. I love that I could work at my own pace and do as much as I could. Whenever I had time, I would work more than what I was supposed to. My commitment was with me and my class, but I didn't have to report several times. I also love the tutoring because I was going to tutoring every class for biology. I really love everything, and I don't know how can they can improve more.

Pinned

Thank you, Tania. We're so glad to hear that you had such a positive experience with our courses and that our partnership with Chamberlain made the process much easier. Best of luck with your studies!

Reviewed May 6, 2022

I wanted to go back to school to complete my RN, but I didn't have the prerequisite that I needed. I tried StraighterLine and my experience was really nice. Doing the classes at my own pace was something I was looking forward to. Also, they provided me with books that I read. I enjoyed it and I would recommend someone else if somebody asked me.

Pinned

We're so happy to hear that, Mariagoratti! Best of luck with your studies!

Reviewed April 29, 2022

StraighterLine was cost-effective, time-effective and easy to do. It fit my schedule and was convenient for me. I was able to pop on at night, after the kids went to bed, and still have a career. I did a total of five classes through them and was able to follow the syllabus that they have set up. I was making sure I was reading every day. I kind of mapped out the way they have the quizzes. That kept me in line with reading the chapters in preparation for the quiz and for the final exam. This is the second degree I'm working on and it's been a wonderful experience.

Pinned

We're happy to hear that you had a positive experience with our courses and that you were able to better balance work, family and furthering your education. Best of luck with your further studies!

Reviewed April 27, 2022

StraighterLine is awesome. I still have one more class to do so I'm planning on doing that pretty soon. Going with StraighterLine is quicker than sitting in a classroom for four months. You can get it done in a month or so and it is also cheaper. I did refer three friends over there, and they're actually taking it.

Pinned

Thanks for the recommendations, Amina! Best of luck with your future studies!

Reviewed April 21, 2022

With StraighterLine, I found the self-pace appealing and the variety of Gen Ed classes I could take. There'll be a lot of reading the textbook in the coursework. So, it's good to take really good notes and go slowly through it. Going with StraighterLine has given me an opportunity to complete my school in a quicker way.

Pinned

Happy to hear that, Laura! Thanks for the review!

Reviewed April 12, 2022

My school told us that if you need to take a couple of courses online, they did their online classes through StraighterLine and you could get credit for the classes. So, if it was like three credits I needed to stay eligible for football, I will just take a StraighterLine course. The courses were pretty cool. It was a good way to get the credit that I needed to be eligible or graduate or whatever the case may have been. The quality of education was pretty good. I would recommend it to someone else who may be busy like me and just need to get a couple of credits in over the summer so they can graduate sooner.

Pinned

Happy to hear that StraighterLine helped keep you on track, Isaiah. Thanks for the review!

Reviewed April 7, 2022

Bellevue University said that StraighterLine's Spanish class I took was faster because they weren't offering it for a few semesters. I liked that I could do it any time and any place with StraighterLine. The materials were all pretty straightforward and easy.

Pinned

Great to hear, Ryan. Thanks for the review!

PriceProcess

Reviewed April 6, 2022

I am applying to a master's program, and I was short a couple of classes, and they sent StraighterLine to me as an already approved. It was cheaper than I could get through another community college. The whole process was very easy for me. I didn't have to go through an application process, and it was self-paced. I busted through my class and got it done. Going with StraighterLine is a fantastic idea. So many people now are looking to get prerequisites done before they transfer to a four-year university, and this is an economical way to do that.

Pinned

Happy to hear that you had such a positive experience. Thanks, Elizabeth! Good luck with your master's!

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed March 31, 2022

I took interpersonal communications and everything was great. The cost was straightforward. Same with the classes. Everything was included so that was really nice. StraighterLine was, all in all, a decent place.

Pinned

Great to hear. Thanks, Jared!

Coverage

Reviewed March 19, 2022

I have one course to complete from a university this semester and I can do it through StraighterLine. The was ECON 101 and it was a Macroeconomics course. There were small videos and some audios given. There were also pictorial visualizations, chapters with the quiz, and testing of the knowledge. The only thing was chapters are 30, 40 pages and it takes a lot of time to cover. I wish it can be squeezed into 10 to 15 pages with the important points. Overall, the material was good and so was the experience. I took a course for three months, but I couldn't complete it because I was busy. I'll continue the course when I have enough time to complete it in a month.

Pinned

Thanks for the review, Snehal! Wishing you the best with your classes!

Reviewed March 16, 2022

The enrollment at StraighterLine was easy. They asked me where I came from, how I heard about them and it was cut and dry. I definitely had a really good experience with the instructors. The quality of education was good for what I paid for. I originally came from a community college and it's a lot higher quality learning from StraighterLine. I recommend them to anyone.

Pinned

Thanks for the review, Wesley! Really happy to hear that you had such a good experience.

Reviewed March 11, 2022

I went into StraighterLine's Calculus 2 course with high hopes, but found standard to be completely unreasonable. Students are expected to complete over 20 questions in the graded exams in 80 minutes, when some of the problems literally take over a page to complete. The video material even covers some problems which take several videos to go over completely, and the academic staff somehow thinks students can complete equally complex problems in a matter of 5 minutes or less. My tutor, along with several individuals who have taken Calculus 2, have all agreed that such a standard is unrealistic. The advisors are also confused and will pass you wrong information. Don't waste your money or time with this organization. Spend your money and energy on courses from an actual university that is interested in seeing you succeed.

Pinned

Thank you for your honest review, Bryant. We've passed along your feedback to our academic team.

PriceEase of Use

Reviewed March 10, 2022

StraighterLine's website was very easy to use so I would have been able to get a customer support. They should leave a notification that I need to schedule my proctor exam seven days of when they are scheduling the exam. Other than that, I liked that they offered a free textbook with the course, I could take the class at my own pace, and the price.

Pinned

Thanks for the review, Miriam!

Reviewed Feb. 26, 2022

I needed to get a math class done and I was able to get it done through them. So that was good. The only problem that I had was trying to get my transcripts from them.

Pinned

Happy to hear that you could complete your course through us, Suddian. Thank you for the feedback!

Reviewed Feb. 25, 2022

Everything went so smooth. I didn't have to reach out to a person at all.

Pinned

Happy to hear that, Turraiya. Thank you for the review!

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2022

I needed to do some extra credits to graduate earlier and StraighterLine was the best option for what I needed. It was on your own time. The only thing is the credits aren't immediate once you finish the class and they have to be accepted by your school.

Pinned

Thanks for the review, Michaela!

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2022

Being self-driven and knowing what my personal goals helped carve out how feasible things are based on the syllabus and based on what other people are saying about the course or a curriculum. However, I only took StraighterLine up for one course, and I didn't get any reminders to cancel my subscription. It auto renewed me. So if there is an option to either not auto renew, or opt in to reminders that the renewal period is coming up. That soured my experience towards the end. Because I called a support ticket and they said it was nonrefundable. So, I had to go through the Better Business Bureau to get that escalated. There's the exam fee on top of it. It might be less accessible for other people. I know there are often discounts and coupons. But making it more accessible for students who may not necessarily have the funds to enroll or take courses at StraighterLine would be beneficial for StraighterLine in terms of getting more students take them over other programs like Sophia, or Saylor Academy, or Study.com.