straighterline.com

4.6/5 (168 ratings)
Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

About StraighterLine

StraighterLine offers online higher education courses in multiple subjects. Course prices start at $59, and the company offers a membership program for $99 a month. StraighterLine has a transfer credit guarantee to over 150 colleges and universities. Their credits have been accepted at over 2,000 institutions across the U.S.

Pros

• Self-paced learning
  • Free e-textbooks and tutoring
  • Affordable college courses

Cons

• Monthly subscription required
  • Limited credit transferability

Bottom Line

StraighterLine offers affordable courses and guarantees full credit transfer to partner institutions. Courses can cost $59 to $249 plus a $99 monthly subscription. E-textbooks and tutoring are free.

Top StraighterLine Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Hello. I was very pleased with Straighterline and their employees. Chemistry was not easy and every time I asked for help, they responded within minutes. Yes, I would recommend St...

Verified

I would highly recommend this course to my friends. I was behind on a math course and this was the best way to make it up! I am so grateful to Straighterline for helping me achiev...

What is StraighterLine?

StraighterLine offers low-price higher education courses online for college or university students. The private education company covers a variety of general education courses, and students can receive credit recommendations through the American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service.

Courses start as low as $59 with a $99 monthly subscription and include free electronic textbooks, one-on-one tutoring, transcript processing and live support. Courses are typically offered for eight weeks, 15 weeks or self-paced terms.

StraighterLine partners with more than 130 universities and colleges nationwide and guarantees credit transfer with partner schools. Students have transferred course credits to 400 other nonpartner universities and colleges.

How long do StraighterLine courses take?

Many StraighterLine courses are self-paced, but ProfessorDirect courses are offered in eight-week and 15-week terms. Students can take more than one course at a time with no limits and have immediate access to start their course.

Students within StraighterLine’s partnership network of universities and colleges have guaranteed credit transfer. Transcript processing is a free service for students.

How much does StraighterLine cost?

The cost of StraighterLine includes a membership subscription of $99 per month and the cost per course, which ranges from $59 to $249. Students taking science lab courses may be required to purchase a lab kit.

Members enrolled in a course receive a free e-textbook that can be used offline and synced between devices. Membership can be canceled at any time, and there are no application fees. Additional services included with membership and course enrollment include free one-on-one tutoring, writing advice, transcript processing and live support for technical or membership needs.

StraighterLine FAQ

What colleges accept StraighterLine credits?

StraighterLine guarantees credit transfer within its network of more than 130 universities and colleges across the country. Students have transferred StraighterLine classes to another 400 nonpartner academic institutions. To receive the school’s ACE CREDIT recommendation, students are required to earn a minimum final grade of 70% in a course.

How does StraighterLine work?

University or college students can find an offered course on StraighterLine’s website that aligns with their degree requirements and pay for the course and membership fee. After completing the course, students transfer the course credits to their home university or college with free transcript processing.

Are StraighterLine exams timed?

Yes, all graded assessments are timed, and some are virtually proctored. Time limits for exams or other graded assessments vary by course. Students with disabilities who may need more time can reach out to StraighterLine and, with proper documentation, work out an agreement for timed assessments.

Is StraighterLine legit?

Students looking for affordable college courses or college preparatory courses may benefit from StraighterLine courses. However, students outside of the partner school network should discuss transfer options with an academic advisor, especially for degree-required courses. The self-paced structure of some courses may be beneficial for nontraditional or part-time students. Unless your university or college states otherwise, StraighterLine courses typically transfer as pass/fail and not as a letter-grade course that affects your GPA.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StraighterLine?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

Straighterline was easier for my son who has difficulty with Science and Math. So, he did Algebra and Biology. He also did English. So, it was all of the things he would prefer to do in a shorter amount of time than during the semester. He spent a lot of time on a paper about COVID but he got flagged for plagiarism. It was upsetting for him. No matter what article you're reading, you're gonna see a lot of the same information yet they flagged him. I was ticked and so I called customer service and went through this rigmarole of having to go through academic to get the paper approved. That was a very bad experience because that was at the end. In order for him to finish the course, he had to have the paper finished by a certain day. That put us in a situation where he had to redo a paper. Straighterline should take more time when it comes to something like that.

Also, with assignments, like when my son did the paper, it would get graded and then he would get a second attempt. He would do the recommended corrections but then on the second attempt, he would be graded by different persons and they come back with a lower grade. When a student finishes an assignment and takes the time to take the second attempt to fix the mistake, and then Straighterline lets someone else grade it and they get a lower grade, it's a waste of time and it's a punch in the gut. The same person should grade the correction so that the person advances in their grade. Other than that, I would definitely recommend Straighterline.

StraighterLine response

Sorry to hear about your experience, Latoya. We'll pass along your feedback to our customer team.

Get buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I was looking at a nursing school that is one of those that accepts StraighterLine credit. I chose them because I could do it much quicker, self-paced. If I went to some regular college here, I would be at the mercy of semesters where it would take me three months to finish one class before I could take the next. So it would have put me a year out from even applying for a nursing program, where this, I got done in six months’ time. Also, it’s much cheaper than most of the other options. Just compared to your regular university, it's drastically cheaper.

My only con is I wish that there were some type of recorded lectures or something more informative for the students. Because I feel like a lot of it was teaching yourself. Also, the lab portion was well planned out, because they have a little more clips and more detail, where the lecture portion is very minimal. I have to spend my time and read the book. And I use a lot of YouTube, like googling crash courses for anatomy and physiology for extra explanations. Other than that, I had a few times when I submitted something online and they got back to me within 24 hours. Super quick and resolved whatever may have been.

StraighterLine response

Happy to hear that you had such a positive experience. Thanks, Megan! Best of luck with your studies!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I was trying to get the course done before I start school in May so I was rushing. Working with StraighterLine was challenging because I was working two jobs at the same time. But I didn't have to go to campus and I was able to do some assignments while I was at work. I took notes while I was on my lunch and when I got home, I was able to do the test and take it on my convenient time. The assignments are fair because I also see on the test all those things that they cover, and that I study and take notes about. StraighterLine is an online course and sometimes, people take notes and they have too much in those. Some people copy everything that they see so if StraighterLine can have a review sheet for them, it would be much beneficial, in a way, for them to know exactly what to review before they take the test and not go crazy over the notes that they took.

StraighterLine is convenient. But it will also have to depend on the school that they are going to. People can’t choose StraighterLine and say that they want to take the course. They will have to contact the school. But StraighterLine has schools that accept the credit. So, people will have to do their own research before taking classes.

StraighterLine response

Thank you for your feedback, Ketteline. We wish you the best with your future studies!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I was starting school up with Colorado Christian University, but I couldn't afford all of the tuition payments through them. My advisor told me that StraighterLine offered the courses, and they would take the courses from StraighterLine and apply them towards my degree. I decided it was a better route than a community college where I'd have to go and enroll and be enrolled in two colleges at the same time.

I liked the style that StraighterLine offered. I worked overnight, so I was able to adjust my learning schedule based off of when I was available, which is really helpful being able to be a student and an employee at the same time. Sometimes, it's difficult with in-person classes or even classes that have a rigid schedule. I enjoyed the fact that I had the freedom to kind of get it done when I had the opportunity to. I took one course and didn't get too far into it because I ended up financially not being able to afford it at the time but I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it. It was helpful to have that blended schedule where I was still able to double up on courses with CCU then add in the courses through StraighterLine to be able to get my degree done a lot quicker. I appreciated the fact that it gave me that opportunity to get my stuff done faster than I was previously thinking I would. I've introduced a few of my friends to StraighterLine and told them that it's a really good option.

StraighterLine response

We love hearing that, Madison. We wish you nothing but the best with your studies moving forward!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Someone from the school that I registered mentioned that I could take prereq classes that I needed for college at StraighterLine. I could transfer it over which was amazing. It helped me because I only needed one class to transfer that credit. Whenever I needed help with something at StraighterLine, I was able to speak to a live person. They made sure the instructions were available so I could follow the directions on how to complete the assignments. They also have videos of certain things that you can watch. The little keynotes and slides demonstrate what you're learning. There is a knowledge checklist before you go on to the next part, where it tests your knowledge to see if you understand. If you don't, then you can go back to the lesson to relearn it.

However, the length of the assignments were a little long. I would do half then complete the other half the next day. It'd be more than 12 pages to complete and you gotta make sure you fully write all the information in your own words, so that way, no assignments are returned. Other than that, everything was great and I have finished my class. I spoke to a gentleman and a young lady, and they were very nice when I called to make sure that I completed everything that I needed to complete.

StraighterLine response

We love hearing that, Francisca! Even more, we're happy to hear that you had a positive experience. We wish you nothing but success!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I liked that StraighterLine was self-paced, so it's a lot better than having to wait several weeks to do assignments. Also, it's a lot more affordable than going through a community college or a university.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

My experience with StraighterLine was very good. It was very easy to get the classes. I had questions about if I had the class or not. But when I checked again, I was able to find it.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

The material is very easy to understand and very well condensed. Meaning, I was taught only what I needed to be taught with the least amount of words, which I appreciate because I have a busy schedule. The fact that you can take a course without a time limit of a semester or things like that made it very convenient for me. The whole process, being very fast and on-demand is really what made this experience appreciated.

StraighterLine response

So happy to hear that you had such a positive experience, Roberto!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I liked that StraighterLine had various start dates and you could just start whenever you'd like to. Then it was a go at your own speed. My learning experience was good. It was a lot of information and it was put together very well. If I had trouble with something, I could spend a little more time on it and not move on so fast from that topic.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

StraighterLine is a little convenient. It's self-taught and it's nice.

StraighterLine Company Information