Call toll free
4.69/5

straighterline.com

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

StraighterLine is an online program that enables you to earn college credit and save thousands of dollars at the same time. Earning college credit through StraighterLine is simple; you choose your courses, complete them and transfer them to any of our 130+ accredited colleges in our network. Our membership of $99 a month will help you start saving up to 60% on your college degree. Contact us today to learn more about our program & speak to one of our counselors!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

556 StraighterLine Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

My guidance counselor recommended StraighterLine or that I do something else, like clubs. I looked at both of them and StraighterLine looked better so I picked that and studied over the stuff they have. I have recommended StraighterLine to all my friends as well.

Get expert buying tips about Online Course Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The classes were great! I did not like the testing however for the finals! But the classes were excellent and very efficient!! I would definitely recommend taking courses from here. I plan on signing up to take more class soon.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I needed an online program that would help me get a certain credit that I needed to be eligible for baseball. I heard about StraighterLine from a counselor through the college and at StraighterLine, it was time-based. It was all you. They were depending on you to finish the work and I managed my time better to be a successful student there.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Through another student, I learned about StraighterLine. I was told that I could get my degree in a shorter time. It's very convenient compared to what I pay for a regular class as well. They have a lot of materials, so there’s a lot of information. Plus, there is no time limit with the lectures and I could do it at my own pace. My counselor told me which classes I could take and which one I didn't need to, so I chose from what she told me that I should take. I called customer service more than once because I have to figure the proctoring and they were very nice. They walked me through it. Just go through the material and try to memorize it as much as you can to be a successful student.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I failed two classes and I had to finish them up because I’m in my last year. I wanted to do something that would be fast and I heard that StraighterLine was a fast road to get credits. In other places, I have to finish it in a month. It's a set time that they want me to finish. On the other hand, StraighterLine worked at my pace and I really appreciated that.

There was this adviser there named Lily who made me understand the course and what I was gonna get myself into. She went topic by topic and she was explaining to me whenever I had questions about a test. She was very helpful. She also gave me a promotion code which took off about $50 off of my total when I was starting. I finished my course there in two and a half weeks. To be a successful student there, you need good time management. You should have enough time to sit down and go through the chapters and read the notes and then take the quizzes. StraighterLine was good and helpful. I would recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StraighterLine?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I’m changing my career path and I’m going to get my master’s through Western Governors University, and StraighterLine was the easiest way to get the prerequisites that I needed. The pricing at StraighterLine was good, as well as the availability of classes. I also liked the fact that I could do my classes at my own speed. To be a successful student at StraighterLine, one must set a schedule and stick to it. My experience with them was great. I’ve taken some other online classes and StraighterLine was, by far, the easiest as far as scheduling tests and getting help if I had any questions.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I had to complete courses that my university mandated through StraighterLine. I took courses on my pace. I just had to manage completing my task on deadlines and keep track. It was easy to finish the course. Their user interface was good. But one thing that I noticed is between the browsers I sometimes used to get different courses, authors and course prices. So there was a lot of confusion amongst us in my class. Some used to get the lower priced ones and some used to get the higher price. I have called the customer care of StraighterLine a couple of times and I used to get answers saying that they're planning to remove one of them but they have not been able to do. Some of them also suggested that I check in the other browsers. Someone has to really work on that.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

My counselor suggested StraighterLine and told me exactly what classes to take. The experience I had with them was positive, good and I like it. Taking good notes is the key to being successful as a student. Every time that I need to get a credit in a quick manner or if I need to test out of a class, I would use StraighterLine. I have another class that I need to take before April and I was hoping that it would be some type of discount or coupon that I would get coming through email. It was a great experience and I will recommend it to anybody that’s looking to test out of a class.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

StraighterLine offered a good module and it was quick. Also, the reviews were positive so I decided to go with them. I made a mistake on the option that I chose. They were prompt to respond and correct my issue. It was my fault and they gave me the credit which will send itself to the course that I wanna take. Overall, it was very self-paced. You do everything on your own but there were good lectures in the courses that were put up there. I didn't have any issues with them and the experience was straightforward and simple. You have to be very disciplined to be successful as a student at StraighterLine. Everything’s on you.

The website was very easy and the UI was very clean. I could search in the search box about anything that I had an issue and it would prompt me right into the correct UX where I would be prompted to the page that I was looking for. The overall UI experience was good and I had a very positive experience with StraighterLine.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I was back in school and I asked my advisor if there were other ways that I could take additional classes that wouldn’t take as long to finish. Initially, I didn’t have anything that was drawing me to StraighterLine but I was told that it is a good service. When I asked if other students had used it, I was told, “Yes”. So, I investigated and signed up. Once I got there, I enjoyed the experience. I knew what I needed and I tracked down and made myself do an elaborate spreadsheet of what I needed to take. Then, I went on StraighterLine to see which classes they had that matched, what the classes I needed from Strayer were, and then I contacted Strayer to make sure that those classes would count as an equivalent so that my credit would transfer. Once I confirmed it, I enrolled those classes based on that.

I had questions and when I called, the people from StraighterLine helped me to make sure that I was getting what I needed. I got different people, but there was one rep who stuck with me. I talked to her in December because I'm taking my last classes with Strayer now and I think I'd graduate in March. I was struggling through Physics and with a lab that I had that I was gonna have to take and she helped me. Although, Strayer changed some of their class alignments so that a different class was now eligible for transfer. The rep did some investigation for me to find out on their end whether I could do or couldn’t do it. She went above and beyond. She told me to verify from Strayer although she thought it can be done. She laid out good detailed plans so I knew exactly what I was gonna need to do, what steps to follow and get what I needed.

She let me know that if I needed anything else, I could always call back. But even if I didn’t get her, their people were always there to help me. StraighterLine’s material is straightforward and I did not feel a lot of bluff with it. I'm a substitute teacher right now as I'm finishing through school. I have the advantage of the extra time so, I would have whole days where I'm not working. I could sit and read four or five chapters a day, take a test, and I still have a whole day. And for someone working full-time, there are also books that they offer where definitions can be highlighted and then take notes and there are certain pages that can be bookmarked. Their tools make it a lot easier. It was like I don’t even have to have a pen, paper and notes and it can all be done electronically. I just have to ask what are available.

Moreover, when I was waiting on my daughter to finish up a ballet, I started a test online at home. I was literally able to close out and log back in and finished taking it while I was sitting in the parking lot of the ballet. It was really convenient because I was really ticked that I had to do that. Plus, knowing that the system was really seamless, I can still literally have a whole functional life which was good. And if someone wants to be successful, they should take advantage of all the tools that they get and read all the details, because it was something that I figured out after my second class with them. It's perfect. I like that it is there although it's not like it wasn’t there.

It is great that there is a way that I can expedite my education. At $100 a class per month plus all the fees, I saved probably $13,000 by taking classes through StraighterLine along with taking courses through school. It was four additional quarters of class I would have had to take which was like four grand of fees. It saved me a whole extra year and a half almost of classes that I didn’t have to. I started in January of last year and I took a total of 13 classes with them. I'll be 34 and I have been trying to get my undergrad since I was 18 because it was kinda off and on. But, I am able to finish it and I probably would have given up by now if I knew I still had all these classes to take. It is a saving grace and I could get it done in my own time. StraighterLine is great. They started offering some financial aid which helps those who cannot afford to self-pay. I was fortunate enough though to be able to self-pay.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I was already past the fall or summer session program for regular community college and I needed one more credit. StraighterLine was recommended to me by Western Governors University. I did the Biology or Anatomy and I liked how each section was detailed with extra resources that I could do to understand the concept. There were extra little short presentations on what to read. I also liked how it was not so much in one module and that it was broken down and if I had questions, I could always go back and look at whatever information it has. Moreover, I would either call or chat with the professors if I had any questions aside from what I did not understand.

StraighterLine worked perfectly for me and I was able to do the needed credit online. It helped that I am able to do it at my own pace to understand it and be able to take the testing or the quizzes. I did not have to rush through anything. Plus, the price worth was great. In fact, I showed a friend what I was working on and to see how it was broken down. They seemed to like it so they are gonna try to see if they can do some online classes too. They also liked it because it did not seem hard for them either.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I wanted to go back to school and I heard about StraighterLine through the school I was going to. StraighterLine is convenient and it is online, so decided to go with them. They were general education courses, and the key to being a successful student there is self-discipline.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I needed to take general physics for a requirement in my on-campus college, but I couldn’t for some reason, so my school adviser told me to go ahead and do StraighterLine. What appealed to me was that it was basically on my own terms -- I set up everything I needed to do, I didn’t really have a time limit, and I did everything on my own pace. That was what really made me love it. I already knew what I needed to take, but I always had someone calling me or emailing me if I needed any help, which is really reassuring and helpful. It's a great system. There's always help, like online chatting or calling, 24/7. At one time I needed to get something graded in the last minute, and they, after hours, helped me. It's just an amazing environment overall. Go ahead and sign up. You won't regret it.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I got interested in StraighterLine given the cost and being able to work at my own pace. The program was all online and it was easy to follow. It was a positive experience. People just need to make sure that the courses that they sign up for are geared towards their learning style since there is independent learning involved.

No response received
Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I'm taking the classes at the University of Phoenix and I needed to take a few prerequisites, so I thought I would take it through StraighterLine. I'm pretty good with navigating my time to get through the classes, but the way the classes are made out is hard because you don't have a book in front of you. The University of Phoenix doesn't either, but the way they navigate their course is very easy because you can refer to a book online. Also, I really didn't like the courses because it seemed like it wasn't pertaining to the program when you take the tests. So, it was very difficult to follow. The only reason I did good in the one class is because I'm a nurse and I know from my past knowledge. But then I tried to take a course had to do with health care and it was just that. I've been a nurse for 30 years and it was difficult for me. It wasn't a good experience for me.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

It is self-paced at StraighterLine, so I could get the classes done sooner or later. That definitely helped me out a lot and shaved a lot of time off my degree, and that’s an awesome thing to have. I used whatever the school offered that I could do off of the degree that I'm going for. To succeed there, you gotta read the information and then take the test. But there was always an issue when the staff helped me with booking my exams. A couple of times, they booked me on the wrong time. It was annoying that I was scheduled one time incorrectly to the point where I couldn’t even take the exam until the following day. Other than that, I had a decent experience with StraighterLine and I have recommended them to a classmate.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

My academic advisor told me about StraighterLine, and it was a lot cheaper going with them than taking it through the school. I just needed a few Spanish credits to graduate, and StraighterLine was accessible. I was able to work on it whenever I wanted to. The learning experience went well enough, and the Rosetta Stone helped a lot. It was a great experience. It saved me a lot of money so I couldn’t be anything but appreciative.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I like the way StraighterLine program was structured and I had heard about them through my school. I tried it and understanding and navigating the courses were easy. How they're all structured are a little bit different though and now that I've taken five courses, I've gotten the feel for it. Doing well in the quizzes is the key to success at StraighterLine. One should take all the time that they can to get the best grades on those because the final is a little bit more difficult.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

StraighterLine's price was reasonable and the courses are according to my pace. Furthermore, I didn’t have to purchase any book because they have an online version and they put out a study material. They make their course so I can do it. Their program is really at a pace that you can manage. They also have ongoing promotions where I can get discounts on fees and I find that really good. I didn’t pass at the first time and then I noticed they had a promotion that I don’t have pay. I only pay half price for my next class, and I took advantage of that. Another thing that they do, I failed my finals by one point and they gave me a chance to redo one of my tests that I had the lowest score on. They really work with people because they wanna see you finish with at least a C so you don’t have to do that class again.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

It's very affordable but not appealing. Nothing motivates me to want to finish the classes. I love the coupon offers that you send in my email. Also when I call to ask a quick question they want my email address so that they may send me a survey afterwards, I never agree to that. But I know it's more to help you guys in the customer service area.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I went through StraighterLine and it was very helpful. I was driven to it since I could do the courses at my own pace and that's convenient. The actual course was very clear, simple and direct to the point. Plus, it wasn’t too hard.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was at Cleveland Chiropractic College and I needed to finish up Gen Eds. I was doing most of those through their undergraduate program. It’s for eight weeks so I can get through things a little faster, but I wanted to make it faster than that. I was talking to some of the students that had already started the program about other options. Their credit hours there is like $600 a credit hour. I didn’t wanna go over what my cash flow would allow. I took the minimum each trimester, about 14 credit hours at Cleveland. And then one of the other students recommended StraighterLine as a good choice for out of pocket.

I already knew what classes I had to finish up and they were the classes that I would’ve had to take another trimester at Cleveland. All of those classes were gonna fall in the last three months at Cleveland. I went online to StraighterLine to see which one sounded as similar as possible to the ones that I was already signed up for. It’s nice being able to go at your own pace. Some weeks, I’d be a little heavier on the classes. And so, I set StraighterLine aside. And then once I have gotten the grove with it, I started focusing on StraighterLine on the weekends.

On a Saturday for Sociology, I read 10 to 16 chapters as quick as I could and just try to take in as much information as possible. And then I take the test, see how it goes and then move on from there. Some of my friends have done it a little differently. They’ve taken it a little slower, and they have good results that way too. But for me, I tried to designate my weekends to solely StraighterLine to try to put as much time as possible knocking out classes. That worked well for me.

I like how StraighterLine does the course description, and then it has the course objectives. I would just screenshot those and bring it in to the counselor at Cleveland and ask if it will transfer or is it gonna work for the same classes even though it’s a little bit of a different name. The objectives are similar. And they were able to say that these have similar objectives.

Initially, I got too bogged down in extra reading and extra assignments because they provide a lot of extra tools to make sure that you really understand the content. But for me, after I got the hang of it, I don't even know that I needed a lot of those supplemental materials. Almost everything was covered in the chapters. It became quicker for me to read the chapters and see what the objectives were at the end of the chapters and highlight them. And then just take the test. It was nerve-wracking. When you first get in there, you think you need to get 100% on everything. But if you just jump in as soon as you're done reading it and take it, it’s not so scary. And a lot of them even allow you to look up and access the online test. If you forget something, as long as you oriented yourself with the chapter and where everything is, it makes it quick to find stuff.

The first time, I probably spent two weeks on the first core chapters to try to get it for the business class before I took the test. But I didn’t need to. It was too much. You didn’t have to memorize every little detail. Just get in and start taking the test. It’s a good way to knock out classes. The only thing was, I had planned on taking the written comms through StraighterLine. I’m sure of the exact details, but I guess some of the sources that were allowed for that class didn’t match up with the curriculum at Cleveland. They wouldn’t allow some of those sources for their class. And so, they wouldn’t allow that to transfer as credit. But it still worked out because I was able to find other classes instead.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

The college I was going to recommended Straighterline. Everything was online and I enjoyed the class. Essentially, it was just a pass or fail, but I wasn't aware of that at that time. It doesn’t reflect on your GPA. It just comes out as a 3.0 because I made a 99 in the class, but that just means I passed.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I'm upgrading from the LDN to RN and we have a partnership with StraighterLine in WGU. I always studied when I got off of work, and StraighterLine provides everything that you possibly could need online, so it's very easy. I love it. I'm not finished yet and I just stopped at the moment, but I'll be going back in March.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

One of my university's directors said that StraighterLine was one way to get one class out of the way without paying as much. I took one history class and the content was straightforward. I'd just read and then take the test. It was a really good course. All the chapters of the reading lessons were great. It wasn't extremely detailed but it wasn't very broad. I haven't taken US History in a while so I learned a lot and I felt like it was just enough. In fact, I wanted to find the chapters and read them again because I found them very useful. I liked that I could get it done at my own pace and that I could make my own deadline so I enjoyed that kind of flexibility, especially because I'm working. I could also make it as expensive or as least expensive as I would want to with the number of months I'd take to get it out of the way.

However, I feel like it's not for everyone. One needs to be really dedicated and have good time management 'cause it's easier to put off. And some people likes to have the people teaching them in front of them. Nevertheless, I wish I knew about StraighterLine a little bit earlier because I would have taken more of my basic classes that way because it's a less expensive and more flexible option. Also, if I took more classes, I probably would have taken advantage of all the options as far as meeting with online teachers.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

In StraighterLine, some of the courses were more organized than other courses. The one English course that I took had a lot of assignments and a lot of the assignments were not as easy to find. Most of the courses are developed more like we have reading, videos, test, paper, rulebooks. The one class that I took, I was reading a novel and I was doing a paper on that novel. And then I was also learning how to use the writing manual. But the writing manual was an online writing manual. It was a little bit more difficult to find the information when I get ready to take the quiz. There was just a lot of prompts and a lot of avenues that I was taking instead of just the video and a textbook. There’s no textbook if I was were searching for information in order to be prepared so I wasn't that really knowing whether or not I was prepared.

But StraighterLine is definitely a good way to get the gen eds that I have to get at a much cheaper price, and at the same time too on my own time schedule. Like if I have a busy time schedule, and I need to take a week and I am going on vacation. Also, I don’t really need to have a whole lot of interaction with other students or the professor. I would definitely recommend StraighterLine to a friend.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I was looking up some college credit courses and found out about StraighterLine. It was more understandable than the online prerequisite course I was taking and it was easy to navigate and to find what to study. However, they should have more practice exams. To be successful in the program, students must study, be prepared for the exam and be confident. They also really have to do well on the test before the finals, so they would have room to make mistakes. Overall, going through StraighterLine went well for me.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I was recommended by my school, The University of Phoenix, to StraighterLine. My school told me I needed another three credits and I just needed one class to get my Master’s Degree, so I took any elective class and I chose the criminal justice course. I liked being a student at StraighterLine. It was a bit of a challenge, but it was okay. I was doing the journey there on my own. It was really hard, but as far as the textbooks, they helped me out a lot. I referred my friend to StraighterLine because she needs five classes to graduate her Master’s and I told her that it’s not bad. It’s not the easiest courses, but it is something that she can do and a good little resource to get her credit.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

It was quick and easy to go through StraighterLine. There was no fuss and the process was straightforward. Also, WGU recommended them. When I was a StraighterLine student, I did a few courses in a week or so and I did not spend time long in there. But to be successful at StraighterLine, you need to focus, buckle down, and get things done.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

My experience with the class was wonderful. If I had any questions, I was helped when needed. The lessons were very educational and helped me to get moving with assignments. I would definitely recommend StraighterLine to others for college courses.

StraighterLine Company Information

www.straighterline.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.