straighterline.com

4.6/5 (106 ratings)
Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

About StraighterLine

StraighterLine offers online higher education courses in multiple subjects. Course prices start at $59, and the company offers a membership program for $99 a month. You can transfer credits from StraighterLine to more than 130 different schools.

Pros

• Self-paced learning
  • Free e-textbooks and tutoring
  • Affordable college courses

Cons

• Monthly subscription required
  • Limited credit transferability

Bottom Line

StraighterLine offers affordable courses and guarantees full credit transfer to partner institutions. Courses can cost $59 to $249 plus a $99 monthly subscription. E-textbooks and tutoring are free.

Top StraighterLine Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I was amazed at the pricing of the courses on Straighterline. The website is easy to use and works well. It's a great way to get college credits quickly and affordably. I was very...

Verified

StraighterLine is great and I love it. I had a lot going on at home and I wasn't able to meet specific deadlines for traditional college classes, so I was trying to get some credi...

What is StraighterLine?

StraighterLine offers low-price higher education courses online for college or university students. The private education company covers a variety of general education courses, and students can receive credit recommendations through the American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service.

Courses start as low as $59 with a $99 monthly subscription and include free electronic textbooks, one-on-one tutoring, transcript processing and live support. Courses are typically offered for eight weeks, 15 weeks or self-paced terms.

StraighterLine partners with more than 130 universities and colleges nationwide and guarantees credit transfer with partner schools. Students have transferred course credits to 400 other nonpartner universities and colleges.

How long do StraighterLine courses take?

Many StraighterLine courses are self-paced, but ProfessorDirect courses are offered in eight-week and 15-week terms. Students can take more than one course at a time with no limits and have immediate access to start their course.

Students within StraighterLine’s partnership network of universities and colleges have guaranteed credit transfer. Transcript processing is a free service for students.

How much does StraighterLine cost?

The cost of StraighterLine includes a membership subscription of $99 per month and the cost per course, which ranges from $59 to $249. Students taking science lab courses may be required to purchase a lab kit.

Members enrolled in a course receive a free e-textbook that can be used offline and synced between devices. Membership can be canceled at any time, and there are no application fees. Additional services included with membership and course enrollment include free one-on-one tutoring, writing advice, transcript processing and live support for technical or membership needs.

StraighterLine FAQ

What colleges accept StraighterLine credits?
StraighterLine guarantees credit transfer within its network of more than 130 universities and colleges across the country. Students have transferred StraighterLine classes to another 400 nonpartner academic institutions. To receive the school’s ACE CREDIT recommendation, students are required to earn a minimum final grade of 70% in a course.
How does StraighterLine work?
University or college students can find an offered course on StraighterLine’s website that aligns with their degree requirements and pay for the course and membership fee. After completing the course, students transfer the course credits to their home university or college with free transcript processing.
Are StraighterLine exams timed?
Yes, all graded assessments are timed, and some are virtually proctored. Time limits for exams or other graded assessments vary by course. Students with disabilities who may need more time can reach out to StraighterLine and, with proper documentation, work out an agreement for timed assessments.

Is StraighterLine legit?

Students looking for affordable college courses or college preparatory courses may benefit from StraighterLine courses. However, students outside of the partner school network should discuss transfer options with an academic advisor, especially for degree-required courses. The self-paced structure of some courses may be beneficial for nontraditional or part-time students. Unless your university or college states otherwise, StraighterLine courses typically transfer as pass/fail and not as a letter-grade course that affects your GPA.

StraighterLine Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StraighterLine?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Someone from the school that I registered mentioned that I could take prereq classes that I needed for college at StraighterLine. I could transfer it over which was amazing. It helped me because I only needed one class to transfer that credit. Whenever I needed help with something at StraighterLine, I was able to speak to a live person. They made sure the instructions were available so I could follow the directions on how to complete the assignments. They also have videos of certain things that you can watch. The little keynotes and slides demonstrate what you're learning. There is a knowledge checklist before you go on to the next part, where it tests your knowledge to see if you understand. If you don't, then you can go back to the lesson to relearn it.

However, the length of the assignments were a little long. I would do half then complete the other half the next day. It'd be more than 12 pages to complete and you gotta make sure you fully write all the information in your own words, so that way, no assignments are returned. Other than that, everything was great and I have finished my class. I spoke to a gentleman and a young lady, and they were very nice when I called to make sure that I completed everything that I needed to complete.

Get buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

My school has a partnership with StraighterLine. I could take some classes that were cheaper on StraighterLine and then transfer them to the school. The whole self-paced thing is really, really helpful because you can do it on your own time. It's the best thing about StraighterLine. You're not as pressed for time as you are in other classes. You don't have to wait for things or assignments to open. The textbooks come in, and you can read at your own leisure. You can take pictures and screenshots of things that you need in order if you're doing an assignment or a quiz that you can do or just information that you find appealing and you wanna retain. But sometimes you can get caught up with trying to finish the class so quickly that you may get lower grades. So, you have to be intentional with your time.

I retained a lot of information while I was with StraighterLine. It was nice because I'm more of a hands-on learner myself. The assignments that were in the curriculum were nice because I could read the information that I'm assigned. Then I can do the assignment, which helps me retain the information and then apply it to the school, but also apply it to other classes and then apply it to whatever subjects or situation that I'm in future tense.

The quality of StraighterLine's website was nice. Things were put well together. It was easy to navigate and to get to where I needed to go. It also has partnership with other websites through outside of StraighterLine, for example, the biology class through eScience, that was also easy to access and navigate. It was really helpful because sometimes other programs can be a little bit harder and you have to ask questions and you have to call. But any time I've made a call to StraighterLine, they've answered pretty much right away. I would recommend StraighterLine more than a community college.

CJ,
    We are happy to hear that our self-paced courses were helpful to you. Thank you for taking the time to provide a recommendation.

-SL

Original review: July 31, 2021

StraighterLine was very helpful. I needed some credits so I could be eligible for my sport this fall from my college. A couple of my teammates were in the same predicament I was in so they told me about it, and it turned out my college accepts most of the credits on StraighterLine. They transfer over. It's very easy to sign up and get started, and I was able to pass my classes within a couple of weeks. It’s easy because you can work at your own pace. It's the most convenient and affordable to take classes that you need to take. I was looking at going through some community colleges, and they were way more expensive and less helpful in the process of me receiving my credit.

As far as StraighterLine classes, everything was super smooth. But when it came to proctoring, it took a second to get going. I feel there's a lot of steps that you have to do before the test that takes a significant amount of time. Like when you think you're going to take a test, you schedule that time slot, thinking how long it's gonna take you to take the test. But you're not accounting for the setting up with the proctor and showing your ID and all that stuff.

Jonathan,
    Great to hear that you were able to pass your classes to play your sport this fall. Thank you for your review!

-SL

Original review: March 29, 2021

The StraighterLine support team always wrote back when I had issues or if I had to call and speak with someone. They were always able to help me with my needs. The classes are hard so I learned a lot. I liked that the course was flexible and that I could go at my own pace. When I'm finished with the courses, there are boxes asking “Do you wanna send your transcript?” and I can click "Send official transcript”. But they don't send the official transcript. StraighterLine called me saying that my school was requesting my official transcript. I told them that I requested them to send my official transcript. But I had to go back and do other stuff to make sure that my official transcript was sent. I had to send it myself through some ACE something.

StraighterLine response

Hi Nilda. Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you had a good experience with our support services and enjoyed the self-paced courses. Sorry to hear there was some initial confusion about the transcript request process, but it sounds like you were able to request it through ACE. Our support team is always here to answer questions and provide guidance about transcripts and the credit transfer process. Feel free to reach out anytime, we're happy to help! -SL

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Straighterline as a whole is a really amazing education system and a great model, especially for those who are looking for prereqs or need one-off courses. I took Chemistry and that was REALLY tough as an online class but the videos, readings and lessons are really well laid out and they offer free tutoring as well. The only issue I had is with the final exam with Proctor U. I only have access to a Chromebook and even though I tested my equipment prior to the final and it was approved, I couldn't access the final and was on with tech support for 4 hours and had to pay to take my final the following day.

In all fairness, it does state that Chromebooks are not approved devices but at this point in the game, Chrome OS should be approved as most students do own chromebooks due to their affordability and ease of use. As we are also in the middle of a pandemic, access to libraries and other computer labs is completely unavailable and risking one's health to go to someone's house to use their computer is not an option amidst stay at home orders. Most people cannot afford to purchase other computers for just one final. This is, of course, a Proctor U problem but as a Straighterline partner, I had to take my star rating from a 5 to a 4. Aside from that, I would absolutely, 100% recommend Straighterline to a friend. Thank you so much!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

I enjoyed using StraighterLine. Very smooth experience. I like that you could work at your own pace. That was the most appealing aspect for me. The price was fairly reasonable, still much cheaper than a regular course at a university. I took American Politics and Intro to Criminal Justice. Those were general requirements for my major. They were good classes and pretty thorough, too.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

When I'm scheduling the proctor, the only way to do it is by clicking out to be in the end menu after I'm out of the lesson. There's only one way to do it and I have to go on to the website to verify it. I don't think that it would be StraighterLine’s job, but adding different ways to add the proctor and doing a better job of having the proctor send verification emails that the exam has been scheduled would be helpful.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I was trying to get into Western Governors University and I needed some more classes. StraighterLine looked like a good fit because it's self-paced. I took three courses. History, psychology, and biology. The experience was quick, simple, easy and straightforward.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

Because of my work schedule, I needed something that would give me acceleration so to finish on time. I didn't want to go to community colleges that would take a longer time. The enrollment process at StraighterLine was a simple process. The other instructions were hard, so we just followed the instructions, and that was it. The learning experience was great. It's a nice program and all the time I was doing my course, I didn't have any problems with them.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

The enrollment process at StraighterLine was good. It was simple to do. I took an introduction to religion. The experience was great because it was working at your own pace. For my situation, I needed to have a transcript sent within a month. I was able to get it finished within that time frame that I needed. It was really helpful when you need to get things done in a certain amount of time.

StraighterLine Company Information