straighterline.com

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.28/5

StraighterLine offers online higher education courses in multiple subjects. Course prices start at $59, and the company offers a membership program for $99 a month. You can transfer credits from StraighterLine to more than 130 different schools.

BOTTOM LINE

StraighterLine offers affordable courses and guarantees full credit transfer to partner institutions. Courses can cost $59 to $249 plus a $99 monthly subscription. E-textbooks and tutoring are free.

PROS
  • Self-paced learning
  • Free e-textbooks and tutoring
  • Affordable college courses
CONS
  • Monthly subscription required
  • Limited credit transferability

Top StraighterLine Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about StraighterLine?

I was amazed at the pricing of the courses on Straighterline. The website is easy to use and works well. It's a great way to get college credits quickly and affordably. I was very impressed and recommend this program for anyone!

StraighterLine is great and I love it. I had a lot going on at home and I wasn't able to meet specific deadlines for traditional college classes, so I was trying to get some credits where I can work at my own pace… I didn't have an issue the whole time.

StraighterLine Call Now Toll Free (877) 989-9728 Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

What is StraighterLine?

StraighterLine offers low-price higher education courses online for college or university students. The private education company covers a variety of general education courses, and students can receive credit recommendations through the American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service.

Courses start as low as $59 with a $99 monthly subscription and include free electronic textbooks, one-on-one tutoring, transcript processing and live support. Courses are typically offered for eight weeks, 15 weeks or self-paced terms.

StraighterLine partners with more than 130 universities and colleges nationwide and guarantees credit transfer with partner schools. Students have transferred course credits to 400 other nonpartner universities and colleges.

How long do StraighterLine courses take?

Many StraighterLine courses are self-paced, but ProfessorDirect courses are offered in eight-week and 15-week terms. Students can take more than one course at a time with no limits and have immediate access to start their course.

Students within StraighterLine’s partnership network of universities and colleges have guaranteed credit transfer. Transcript processing is a free service for students.

How much does StraighterLine cost?

The cost of StraighterLine includes a membership subscription of $99 per month and the cost per course, which ranges from $59 to $249. Students taking science lab courses may be required to purchase a lab kit.

Members enrolled in a course receive a free e-textbook that can be used offline and synced between devices. Membership can be canceled at any time, and there are no application fees. Additional services included with membership and course enrollment include free one-on-one tutoring, writing advice, transcript processing and live support for technical or membership needs.

StraighterLine FAQ

What colleges accept StraighterLine credits?
StraighterLine guarantees credit transfer within its network of more than 130 universities and colleges across the country. Students have transferred StraighterLine classes to another 400 nonpartner academic institutions. To receive the school’s ACE CREDIT recommendation, students are required to earn a minimum final grade of 70% in a course.
How does StraighterLine work?
University or college students can find an offered course on StraighterLine’s website that aligns with their degree requirements and pay for the course and membership fee. After completing the course, students transfer the course credits to their home university or college with free transcript processing.
Are StraighterLine exams timed?
Yes, all graded assessments are timed, and some are virtually proctored. Time limits for exams or other graded assessments vary by course. Students with disabilities who may need more time can reach out to StraighterLine and, with proper documentation, work out an agreement for timed assessments.

Is StraighterLine legit?

Students looking for affordable college courses or college preparatory courses may benefit from StraighterLine courses. However, students outside of the partner school network should discuss transfer options with an academic advisor, especially for degree-required courses. The self-paced structure of some courses may be beneficial for nontraditional or part-time students. Unless your university or college states otherwise, StraighterLine courses typically transfer as pass/fail and not as a letter-grade course that affects your GPA.

StraighterLine Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StraighterLine?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Straighterline as a whole is a really amazing education system and a great model, especially for those who are looking for prereqs or need one-off courses. I took Chemistry and that was REALLY tough as an online class but the videos, readings and lessons are really well laid out and they offer free tutoring as well. The only issue I had is with the final exam with Proctor U. I only have access to a Chromebook and even though I tested my equipment prior to the final and it was approved, I couldn't access the final and was on with tech support for 4 hours and had to pay to take my final the following day.

In all fairness, it does state that Chromebooks are not approved devices but at this point in the game, Chrome OS should be approved as most students do own chromebooks due to their affordability and ease of use. As we are also in the middle of a pandemic, access to libraries and other computer labs is completely unavailable and risking one's health to go to someone's house to use their computer is not an option amidst stay at home orders. Most people cannot afford to purchase other computers for just one final. This is, of course, a Proctor U problem but as a Straighterline partner, I had to take my star rating from a 5 to a 4. Aside from that, I would absolutely, 100% recommend Straighterline to a friend. Thank you so much!

Get buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 25, 2020

There is so much that I like and appreciate about Straight-line. I can see how it benefits so many students, and for many, might be one of their only options to complete classes. Students with hectic work schedules, small budgets, and a lack of stability will find this online-school to be a fortress for their futures. I think if a person has enough self-motivation, time, and willpower that they can succeed and thrive in this school.

I enrolled in this school thinking that I would have the time and dedication for my classes but it ended up being the wrong time for me. I was very busy in life and much was happening (big life changes). I was unable to put in as much time and effort as was needed for my class. I learned that, for me, I seem to do best with in-person classes. I need more instructing and guidance. Material such as: study guides, personal Powerpoints written by instructors, and office hours with professors are key to my success.

Unfortunately for me; I struggle to read books and know and understand the material just from having read them. I need to break down chapters and have a teacher help me understand the content along the way. Otherwise, I eventually get to a point where I don't even know how to use a tutor because I have so many questions to ask.

I am grateful for the time I spent in straight-line and I love how feasible it is and inexpensive it is for students. I think that this is incredible! I also absolutely LOVED my microbiology lab course! It was easy to follow the instructions and the labs were fun to complete! The lab package was also incredible with all the microbiology equipment that I needed. I have no complaints for the lab class.

It was the lecture class that I struggled in. There was so much information and the tests were hard. I felt like I had an overload of information that I was failing to decipher. This is where I felt like I needed a professor to walk me through the lectures. The chapters in the book are very long and complex and the additional materials that we were asked to read added to this overload of information.

I found everything that I learned in microbiology to be very interesting and I only wanted to truly know and understand it. I want to be able to use my knowledge of microbiology in my life as it may apply. For instance: if anyone is talking about Listeria Meningitis I would like to have a real understanding of it, from this class, and have an educated conversation with people about it. This is where I need a professor. Overall, I would recommend straight-line to other people, but I would caution them to have the dedication, willpower, and time needed to succeed.

Original review: May 16, 2020

I go to Touro College and I needed an extra undergraduate Math course that I was missing from my bachelor's degree. So, Touro College recommended Straighterline to me. I looked at the courses and I was able to do the College Algebra through there as an undergraduate course, so I decided to go with that. I liked that I was able to work at my own pace as opposed to having to work day-to-day. When I think of classes, I think of just assignments being posted and we have to follow their schedule. But I liked that we were able to work on our own time and pace. That was appealing to me. Also, the price was really affordable compared to most websites and schools. Straighterline offers tutoring sessions and they can pair you with somebody that can help you if you're struggling. That would be pretty helpful.

Math isn't an easy subject for me. If someone's better at Math, it would be easier for them. But for someone that isn't great at it, it took me a little longer than expected because Math isn't really my strong suit. I'm more of an English, Social Studies person. I wish the courses were slightly easier for people that are busy and just trying to get through as fast as possible. Other than that, the experience itself was great.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I'm trying to finish school a little bit earlier. I heard about StraighterLine through my school, Strayer University. It was advertised online on our student portal. As far as the expenses are concerned, StraighterLine was much cheaper than to actually pay for the class through my school. If I could kill two birds with one stone, why not try to do that.

I like the fact how StraighterLine was self-paced. I had the deadline for anything but it was more self-paced on how I wanted to pace myself. Also, the motivational part of it was if I could get everything done within that month's time, I wouldn't have to pay an additional $100. From a financial standpoint, I really found that appealing.

I knew exactly what I needed to get done. I'm down to the home stretch. I have four more classes left and I'll be finished with my bachelor's degree. I had to be completely in control of my own time and how much time I wanted to spend on there for me to be successful throughout that particular program. I knew I had to manage my time better which helped in all areas, not just with school but with my home life as well. In order for me to finish within the months’ time span that I wanted to be done, I had to be on a strict schedule between my home life, being a mom and having my career that I'm already working, and being in a regular school then having this on the side.

One of the downsides was I didn't feel like there is much communication from the teachers and staff. I was basically on my own getting the work done. Otherwise, if you put in the work and you balance your time out, you can definitely get things done. It allows you to see how mentally strong you really are if you really put your all into it. StraighterLine is a great program and I would definitely recommend it to a friend or anybody that's trying to further their education and a need a little help on the financial side of it.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I first heard about StraighterLine through my current university that I was attending in regards to substituting the StraighterLine courses that were a lot more inexpensive with paying full price at Liberty. Once I looked at their website and I looked at the platform in terms of how the classes were conducted, I thought it was the best approach. It was self-paced, meaning that I didn't have to check into a class. And there weren’t assignments that would be due that would kind of impede working full-time and doing other things. It was just knowing that I had to read and be prepared for the quizzes and tests. That made it very appealing.

It was really convenient to just have to focus on the test and nothing else. I was taking the last courses for my free elective, so I already knew what courses I was going to take. But I received information in terms of if I need someone to speak with to help me “get started”. I received information extending that invitation. There was a gentleman that I spoke to and he was extremely helpful. I needed a letter saying that I’m a student at StraighterLine so I’m still continuing. He told me at the time that there was some type of formality in terms of institutions being a part of a database and StraighterLine doesn’t have that. But he said they could offer confirmation that I'm a student and he was really helpful in making sure that a letter was sent to me. It was sent to me electronically and he got it off to me immediately.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Enrolling with them was quick and easy. It worked out for me. Also, they were accessible. They made the program more difficult than it had to be, but other than that, the rest of the program was okay.

StraighterLine response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Contessa. We understand that coursework can be be challenging at times. We are proud to offer our students 10 hours of tutoring at no additional cost. It’s a great resource should you ever find yourself needing a little extra help with course materials. Our student advisors are also available anytime via phone or live chat to assist with coursework, questions, and to go over additional support services we can offer. Thank you again for your feedback! -SL

Original review: March 29, 2021

The StraighterLine support team always wrote back when I had issues or if I had to call and speak with someone. They were always able to help me with my needs. The classes are hard so I learned a lot. I liked that the course was flexible and that I could go at my own pace. When I'm finished with the courses, there are boxes asking “Do you wanna send your transcript?” and I can click "Send official transcript”. But they don't send the official transcript. StraighterLine called me saying that my school was requesting my official transcript. I told them that I requested them to send my official transcript. But I had to go back and do other stuff to make sure that my official transcript was sent. I had to send it myself through some ACE something.

StraighterLine response

Hi Nilda. Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you had a good experience with our support services and enjoyed the self-paced courses. Sorry to hear there was some initial confusion about the transcript request process, but it sounds like you were able to request it through ACE. Our support team is always here to answer questions and provide guidance about transcripts and the credit transfer process. Feel free to reach out anytime, we're happy to help! -SL

Resolution response: April 2, 2021

They did a great job on fixing the issues.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I wouldn't recommend the place. The enrollment was fine, but taking the courses was a problem. I took the membership for a month and on the last day of the month, I went to take the test thinking that I could use it for the full month, and it wouldn't work. When I contacted StraighterLine, their basic response was, “Sorry about that.” My school would only accept the credits through March 1st. I asked, “So are you going to refund the charges?” They said, “No.” I couldn't use the credit or the course. I took a total of 10 courses and I lost nine credits.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Everything is very thorough. I like the fact that you kind of work at your own pace. It's a very affordable way to complete your degree. Overall, for anybody who is trying to limit their college debt, it's a great alternative. It's very affordable compared to what you would be paying in your traditional school.

StraighterLine response

We appreciate you sharing your experience, William! Happy to help you save money and reach your goals! -SL

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

With StraighterLine, I could work on my studies at my own pace and when I could. I also found that it was a lot easier for me to finish my whole class a lot quicker. Their process was extremely efficient with work and school on the side, so I would recommend them.

StraighterLine response

Thank you for your recommendation, Ashley! We sincerely appreciate your kind words. -SL

StraighterLine Company Information