straighterline.com

4.6/5 (180 ratings)
Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

About StraighterLine

StraighterLine offers online higher education courses in multiple subjects. Course prices start at $59, and the company offers a membership program for $99 a month. You can transfer credits from StraighterLine to more than 130 different schools.

Pros

• Self-paced learning
  • Free e-textbooks and tutoring
  • Affordable college courses

Cons

• Monthly subscription required
  • Limited credit transferability

Bottom Line

StraighterLine offers affordable courses and guarantees full credit transfer to partner institutions. Courses can cost $59 to $249 plus a $99 monthly subscription. E-textbooks and tutoring are free.

Top StraighterLine Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I was amazed at the pricing of the courses on Straighterline. The website is easy to use and works well. It's a great way to get college credits quickly and affordably. I was very...

Verified

StraighterLine is great and I love it. I had a lot going on at home and I wasn't able to meet specific deadlines for traditional college classes, so I was trying to get some credi...

What is StraighterLine?

StraighterLine offers low-price higher education courses online for college or university students. The private education company covers a variety of general education courses, and students can receive credit recommendations through the American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service.

Courses start as low as $59 with a $99 monthly subscription and include free electronic textbooks, one-on-one tutoring, transcript processing and live support. Courses are typically offered for eight weeks, 15 weeks or self-paced terms.

StraighterLine partners with more than 130 universities and colleges nationwide and guarantees credit transfer with partner schools. Students have transferred course credits to 400 other nonpartner universities and colleges.

How long do StraighterLine courses take?

Many StraighterLine courses are self-paced, but ProfessorDirect courses are offered in eight-week and 15-week terms. Students can take more than one course at a time with no limits and have immediate access to start their course.

Students within StraighterLine’s partnership network of universities and colleges have guaranteed credit transfer. Transcript processing is a free service for students.

How much does StraighterLine cost?

The cost of StraighterLine includes a membership subscription of $99 per month and the cost per course, which ranges from $59 to $249. Students taking science lab courses may be required to purchase a lab kit.

Members enrolled in a course receive a free e-textbook that can be used offline and synced between devices. Membership can be canceled at any time, and there are no application fees. Additional services included with membership and course enrollment include free one-on-one tutoring, writing advice, transcript processing and live support for technical or membership needs.

StraighterLine FAQ

What colleges accept StraighterLine credits?
StraighterLine guarantees credit transfer within its network of more than 130 universities and colleges across the country. Students have transferred StraighterLine classes to another 400 nonpartner academic institutions. To receive the school’s ACE CREDIT recommendation, students are required to earn a minimum final grade of 70% in a course.
How does StraighterLine work?
University or college students can find an offered course on StraighterLine’s website that aligns with their degree requirements and pay for the course and membership fee. After completing the course, students transfer the course credits to their home university or college with free transcript processing.
Are StraighterLine exams timed?
Yes, all graded assessments are timed, and some are virtually proctored. Time limits for exams or other graded assessments vary by course. Students with disabilities who may need more time can reach out to StraighterLine and, with proper documentation, work out an agreement for timed assessments.

Is StraighterLine legit?

Students looking for affordable college courses or college preparatory courses may benefit from StraighterLine courses. However, students outside of the partner school network should discuss transfer options with an academic advisor, especially for degree-required courses. The self-paced structure of some courses may be beneficial for nontraditional or part-time students. Unless your university or college states otherwise, StraighterLine courses typically transfer as pass/fail and not as a letter-grade course that affects your GPA.

StraighterLine Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StraighterLine?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

Straighterline was easier for my son who has difficulty with Science and Math. So, he did Algebra and Biology. He also did English. So, it was all of the things he would prefer to do in a shorter amount of time than during the semester. He spent a lot of time on a paper about COVID but he got flagged for plagiarism. It was upsetting for him. No matter what article you're reading, you're gonna see a lot of the same information yet they flagged him. I was ticked and so I called customer service and went through this rigmarole of having to go through academic to get the paper approved. That was a very bad experience because that was at the end. In order for him to finish the course, he had to have the paper finished by a certain day. That put us in a situation where he had to redo a paper. Straighterline should take more time when it comes to something like that.

Also, with assignments, like when my son did the paper, it would get graded and then he would get a second attempt. He would do the recommended corrections but then on the second attempt, he would be graded by different persons and they come back with a lower grade. When a student finishes an assignment and takes the time to take the second attempt to fix the mistake, and then Straighterline lets someone else grade it and they get a lower grade, it's a waste of time and it's a punch in the gut. The same person should grade the correction so that the person advances in their grade. Other than that, I would definitely recommend Straighterline.

StraighterLine response

Sorry to hear about your experience, Latoya. We'll pass along your feedback to our customer team.

Get buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I was trying to get the course done before I start school in May so I was rushing. Working with StraighterLine was challenging because I was working two jobs at the same time. But I didn't have to go to campus and I was able to do some assignments while I was at work. I took notes while I was on my lunch and when I got home, I was able to do the test and take it on my convenient time. The assignments are fair because I also see on the test all those things that they cover, and that I study and take notes about. StraighterLine is an online course and sometimes, people take notes and they have too much in those. Some people copy everything that they see so if StraighterLine can have a review sheet for them, it would be much beneficial, in a way, for them to know exactly what to review before they take the test and not go crazy over the notes that they took.

StraighterLine is convenient. But it will also have to depend on the school that they are going to. People can’t choose StraighterLine and say that they want to take the course. They will have to contact the school. But StraighterLine has schools that accept the credit. So, people will have to do their own research before taking classes.

StraighterLine response

Thank you for your feedback, Ketteline. We wish you the best with your future studies!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I was starting school up with Colorado Christian University, but I couldn't afford all of the tuition payments through them. My advisor told me that StraighterLine offered the courses, and they would take the courses from StraighterLine and apply them towards my degree. I decided it was a better route than a community college where I'd have to go and enroll and be enrolled in two colleges at the same time.

I liked the style that StraighterLine offered. I worked overnight, so I was able to adjust my learning schedule based off of when I was available, which is really helpful being able to be a student and an employee at the same time. Sometimes, it's difficult with in-person classes or even classes that have a rigid schedule. I enjoyed the fact that I had the freedom to kind of get it done when I had the opportunity to. I took one course and didn't get too far into it because I ended up financially not being able to afford it at the time but I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it. It was helpful to have that blended schedule where I was still able to double up on courses with CCU then add in the courses through StraighterLine to be able to get my degree done a lot quicker. I appreciated the fact that it gave me that opportunity to get my stuff done faster than I was previously thinking I would. I've introduced a few of my friends to StraighterLine and told them that it's a really good option.

StraighterLine response

We love hearing that, Madison. We wish you nothing but the best with your studies moving forward!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

My school has a partnership with StraighterLine. I could take some classes that were cheaper on StraighterLine and then transfer them to the school. The whole self-paced thing is really, really helpful because you can do it on your own time. It's the best thing about StraighterLine. You're not as pressed for time as you are in other classes. You don't have to wait for things or assignments to open. The textbooks come in, and you can read at your own leisure. You can take pictures and screenshots of things that you need in order if you're doing an assignment or a quiz that you can do or just information that you find appealing and you wanna retain. But sometimes you can get caught up with trying to finish the class so quickly that you may get lower grades. So, you have to be intentional with your time.

I retained a lot of information while I was with StraighterLine. It was nice because I'm more of a hands-on learner myself. The assignments that were in the curriculum were nice because I could read the information that I'm assigned. Then I can do the assignment, which helps me retain the information and then apply it to the school, but also apply it to other classes and then apply it to whatever subjects or situation that I'm in future tense.

The quality of StraighterLine's website was nice. Things were put well together. It was easy to navigate and to get to where I needed to go. It also has partnership with other websites through outside of StraighterLine, for example, the biology class through eScience, that was also easy to access and navigate. It was really helpful because sometimes other programs can be a little bit harder and you have to ask questions and you have to call. But any time I've made a call to StraighterLine, they've answered pretty much right away. I would recommend StraighterLine more than a community college.

CJ,
    We are happy to hear that our self-paced courses were helpful to you. Thank you for taking the time to provide a recommendation.

-SL

Original review: July 31, 2021

StraighterLine was very helpful. I needed some credits so I could be eligible for my sport this fall from my college. A couple of my teammates were in the same predicament I was in so they told me about it, and it turned out my college accepts most of the credits on StraighterLine. They transfer over. It's very easy to sign up and get started, and I was able to pass my classes within a couple of weeks. It’s easy because you can work at your own pace. It's the most convenient and affordable to take classes that you need to take. I was looking at going through some community colleges, and they were way more expensive and less helpful in the process of me receiving my credit.

As far as StraighterLine classes, everything was super smooth. But when it came to proctoring, it took a second to get going. I feel there's a lot of steps that you have to do before the test that takes a significant amount of time. Like when you think you're going to take a test, you schedule that time slot, thinking how long it's gonna take you to take the test. But you're not accounting for the setting up with the proctor and showing your ID and all that stuff.

Jonathan,
    Great to hear that you were able to pass your classes to play your sport this fall. Thank you for your review!

-SL

Original review: April 21, 2022

With StraighterLine, I found the self-pace appealing and the variety of Gen Ed classes I could take. There'll be a lot of reading the textbook in the coursework. So, it's good to take really good notes and go slowly through it. Going with StraighterLine has given me an opportunity to complete my school in a quicker way.

StraighterLine response

Happy to hear that, Laura! Thanks for the review!

Original review: April 12, 2022

My school told us that if you need to take a couple of courses online, they did their online classes through StraighterLine and you could get credit for the classes. So, if it was like three credits I needed to stay eligible for football, I will just take a StraighterLine course. The courses were pretty cool. It was a good way to get the credit that I needed to be eligible or graduate or whatever the case may have been. The quality of education was pretty good. I would recommend it to someone else who may be busy like me and just need to get a couple of credits in over the summer so they can graduate sooner.

StraighterLine response

Happy to hear that StraighterLine helped keep you on track, Isaiah. Thanks for the review!

Original review: April 7, 2022

Bellevue University said that StraighterLine's Spanish class I took was faster because they weren't offering it for a few semesters. I liked that I could do it any time and any place with StraighterLine. The materials were all pretty straightforward and easy.

StraighterLine response

Great to hear, Ryan. Thanks for the review!

Original review: March 31, 2022

I took interpersonal communications and everything was great. The cost was straightforward. Same with the classes. Everything was included so that was really nice. StraighterLine was, all in all, a decent place.

StraighterLine response

Great to hear. Thanks, Jared!

Original review: March 19, 2022

I have one course to complete from a university this semester and I can do it through StraighterLine. The was ECON 101 and it was a Macroeconomics course. There were small videos and some audios given. There were also pictorial visualizations, chapters with the quiz, and testing of the knowledge. The only thing was chapters are 30, 40 pages and it takes a lot of time to cover. I wish it can be squeezed into 10 to 15 pages with the important points. Overall, the material was good and so was the experience. I took a course for three months, but I couldn't complete it because I was busy. I'll continue the course when I have enough time to complete it in a month.

StraighterLine response

Thanks for the review, Snehal! Wishing you the best with your classes!

StraighterLine Company Information