straighterline.com

4.6/5 (86 ratings)

About StraighterLine

StraighterLine offers online higher education courses in multiple subjects. Course prices start at $59, and the company offers a membership program for $99 a month. StraighterLine has a transfer credit guarantee to over 150 colleges and universities. Their credits have been accepted at over 2,000 institutions across the U.S.

Pros

• Self-paced learning
  • Free e-textbooks and tutoring
  • Affordable college courses

Cons

• Monthly subscription required
  • Limited credit transferability

Bottom Line

StraighterLine offers affordable courses and guarantees full credit transfer to partner institutions. Courses can cost $59 to $249 plus a $99 monthly subscription. E-textbooks and tutoring are free.

Top StraighterLine Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StraighterLine?

Verified

Hello. I was very pleased with Straighterline and their employees. Chemistry was not easy and every time I asked for help, they responded within minutes. Yes, I would recommend St...

Verified

I would highly recommend this course to my friends. I was behind on a math course and this was the best way to make it up! I am so grateful to Straighterline for helping me achiev...

What is StraighterLine?

StraighterLine offers low-price higher education courses online for college or university students. The private education company covers a variety of general education courses, and students can receive credit recommendations through the American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service.

Courses start as low as $59 with a $99 monthly subscription and include free electronic textbooks, one-on-one tutoring, transcript processing and live support. Courses are typically offered for eight weeks, 15 weeks or self-paced terms.

StraighterLine partners with more than 130 universities and colleges nationwide and guarantees credit transfer with partner schools. Students have transferred course credits to 400 other nonpartner universities and colleges.

How long do StraighterLine courses take?

Many StraighterLine courses are self-paced, but ProfessorDirect courses are offered in eight-week and 15-week terms. Students can take more than one course at a time with no limits and have immediate access to start their course.

Students within StraighterLine’s partnership network of universities and colleges have guaranteed credit transfer. Transcript processing is a free service for students.

How much does StraighterLine cost?

The cost of StraighterLine includes a membership subscription of $99 per month and the cost per course, which ranges from $59 to $249. Students taking science lab courses may be required to purchase a lab kit.

Members enrolled in a course receive a free e-textbook that can be used offline and synced between devices. Membership can be canceled at any time, and there are no application fees. Additional services included with membership and course enrollment include free one-on-one tutoring, writing advice, transcript processing and live support for technical or membership needs.

StraighterLine FAQ

What colleges accept StraighterLine credits?

StraighterLine guarantees credit transfer within its network of more than 130 universities and colleges across the country. Students have transferred StraighterLine classes to another 400 nonpartner academic institutions. To receive the school’s ACE CREDIT recommendation, students are required to earn a minimum final grade of 70% in a course.

How does StraighterLine work?

University or college students can find an offered course on StraighterLine’s website that aligns with their degree requirements and pay for the course and membership fee. After completing the course, students transfer the course credits to their home university or college with free transcript processing.

Are StraighterLine exams timed?

Yes, all graded assessments are timed, and some are virtually proctored. Time limits for exams or other graded assessments vary by course. Students with disabilities who may need more time can reach out to StraighterLine and, with proper documentation, work out an agreement for timed assessments.

Is StraighterLine legit?

Students looking for affordable college courses or college preparatory courses may benefit from StraighterLine courses. However, students outside of the partner school network should discuss transfer options with an academic advisor, especially for degree-required courses. The self-paced structure of some courses may be beneficial for nontraditional or part-time students. Unless your university or college states otherwise, StraighterLine courses typically transfer as pass/fail and not as a letter-grade course that affects your GPA.

StraighterLine Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about StraighterLine?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

StraighterLine is a very good online school and very affordable. One of my daughters took some classes with them as well as my best friend. It’s on your own pace and you don’t have to rush. Whenever you wanna get it done, whether it's fast or slow, you can take your time. Also, the package that they offer as far as price goes is the best one. The learning experience was great. You get feedbacks right away once you submit your assignments. The assignments are graded in a timely manner. The exams are proctored so you get to interact with the proctor people, where you can schedule exams. And whenever you are ready to take the exam, they'll walk you through it and you get to know your results right after you submit. So that's always good.

The curriculum was straightforward. Before you even start the class, you can test yourself on how well you're gonna do. Then, you can have quizzes. For example, 10 questions in the quiz and you're able to see where you need help before you actually do the first quiz. They have the book and you can read up on that then do a little bit of research before you actually do anything. So, it gets you ready before you even get into the course.

StraighterLine response

Thanks, Sheryl! We're happy to hear that you and your daughter have had positive experiences with StraighterLine.

Get buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

When I started doing some microbiology classes at StraighterLine, everything was okay for me. I would tell myself that I was going to finish a course within one month, but before I knew it, one month was over and they would charge me another money. But that was my own mistake. Also, there was a laboratory material that ordered and could not use. They are still in my house, so I wasted that money. Other than that, I found it so difficult to complete my classes. Even during the exam, it was hard for me to get someone to proctor me. So, those difficulties made me lose interest in the StraighterLine.

However, I wouldn’t say they were not good. Studying there was easy and fast for you to get your classes done. If you have time to study the materials, you really gain the knowledge. Most of the instructors that I called on phone were very nice to me and offered me a lot of help to get through the program. The only part I couldn't avoid was because my things were not really properly organized.

StraighterLine response

Thank you for your feedback, Francis. Best of luck with your future studies!

Original review: June 9, 2022

I switched to StraighterLine because it seemed more advantageous and a little bit better of an option. The examples are very good and they made the concepts very easy to understand. But certain videos seemed they were way too advanced for someone who’s very new to the concept. Sometimes, they would jump very deep into the material without going from from the surface then working down. There were a few chapters that were a little bit confusing. Sometimes, I had to use external resources to be able to figure out certain concepts. But for the most part, I was able to get through everything. It was nice to have the little quizzes at the end of every section too. That was helpful.

I like the fact that StraighterLine allows people to use a graphing calculator for the exam because it takes an extremely long amount of time to work out some of those equations. I also liked the fact that StraighterLine doesn't put all the weight on the final exam. You can do all the graded exams, and the graded exams hold about 75% of the weight, while the final exam holds about 30%.

StraighterLine response

Thank you for the feedback, Faheem. Best of luck with your studies moving forward!

Original review: May 8, 2022

StraighterLine is great. I took four classes with them, and I liked it a lot. It was easy and everyone I spoke to were helpful. I had to a couple of different times. I took the Spanish class twice. The Spanish 1 was harder than expected, and there was one where it was saying one thing and my grade was completely different. They thought I had to go back and redo one assignment, but my grade was acceptable. They were able to fix everything.

The class portion was very reasonable, but when you're taking classes of another university, you have a family, you're working full time, and then you volunteer for a couple other things, for me, the membership wouldn't have taken so long. If I was in my 20s and this is what I had going on, I wouldn't have spent as much as I did because it could have been done even sooner. However, because of my situation, and there's other people who have four kids like I do, the $100 a month is a bit too much, especially with what's going on in the world.

StraighterLine response

Thank you for the review, Brittanie. We're glad that you found our courses useful and that everyone was helpful. Best of luck with your future studies!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

Straighterline was easier for my son who has difficulty with Science and Math. So, he did Algebra and Biology. He also did English. So, it was all of the things he would prefer to do in a shorter amount of time than during the semester. He spent a lot of time on a paper about COVID but he got flagged for plagiarism. It was upsetting for him. No matter what article you're reading, you're gonna see a lot of the same information yet they flagged him. I was ticked and so I called customer service and went through this rigmarole of having to go through academic to get the paper approved. That was a very bad experience because that was at the end. In order for him to finish the course, he had to have the paper finished by a certain day. That put us in a situation where he had to redo a paper. Straighterline should take more time when it comes to something like that.

Also, with assignments, like when my son did the paper, it would get graded and then he would get a second attempt. He would do the recommended corrections but then on the second attempt, he would be graded by different persons and they come back with a lower grade. When a student finishes an assignment and takes the time to take the second attempt to fix the mistake, and then Straighterline lets someone else grade it and they get a lower grade, it's a waste of time and it's a punch in the gut. The same person should grade the correction so that the person advances in their grade. Other than that, I would definitely recommend Straighterline.

StraighterLine response

Sorry to hear about your experience, Latoya. We'll pass along your feedback to our customer team.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

Western Governance University recommended StraighterLine because I was missing the pre-recs to complete a couple of courses. They recommended courses that could directly transfer into WGU and there was a search portal that would tell me exactly what it would transfer to. The portal was very user-friendly and then, we got right into the course within hours of signing up. If you really wanted to, you could make a lot of progress.

StraighterLine response

Appreciate the feedback, Anupam. Best of luck at WGU!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

StraighterLine appealed to me as it was at your own pace. To be successful, it takes time and reading since you’re teaching yourself. There was a link to get help and maybe it was easy but I didn't attempt.

StraighterLine response

Thank you for your feedback, Lizbeth.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

StraighterLine was affordable and I can do it on my computer. It's more available to my everyday schedule. Also, I had pretty excellent service. They were there to answer my calls and if I had any troubleshoot, they were there to answer it for me. Everything was easy to use and pretty self-explanatory. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience.

StraighterLine response

Great to hear, Briston. Thank you for your review!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

I would recommend StraighterLine if you need to get easy credits. I had to use it for my university and it was good other than I tried to cancel it three times and I got charged $400. I would cancel and I would get my confirmation and then, it would not cancel.

StraighterLine response

Thank you for your feedback, Gunner. We'll pass along your comments to the Student Success team.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

The learning experience with StraighterLine is very straightforward and engaging. If you like reading what you're supposed to do and you're doing what you're supposed to do, all the information is right there. You got to be consistent to be successful as a student. I'd recommend StraighterLine to anybody. It's more affordable and you're able to learn.

StraighterLine response

Thanks, Stanley! We greatly appreciate your review. Best of luck with your future studies!

StraighterLine Company Information