Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.43/5

Coursera is a global online learning platform that offers massive open online courses (MOOCs), specializations and degrees. Users can build skills with courses from universities like Yale, Stanford and New York University and companies like Google and IBM.

BOTTOM LINE

If you want to learn a subject at your own pace, Coursera offers a wide selection of online courses, certificates and degrees at varying price points.

PROS

• Self-paced
  • High-quality video
  • Free courses available
  • Free seven-day trial

CONS

• Inflexible enrollment
  • Some courses are pricey

Top Coursera Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera ?

I'm delighted to have this course offered on Positive Psychology through Coursera ... I appreciate the format and set up of the course. The videos are very well done. A helpful aspect is that you can save notes, repeat parts of the vids, and you have written text to follow if you like...

I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Coursera. I have loved the learning I have been able to do and look forward to taking many more classes with them ... I don't understand the reviews with low ratings. I have never had any problems with them.

Coursera courses

Coursera has more than 3,900 courses, 13 professional certificates and 20 degrees available. The company offers on-demand video lectures, self-paced quizzes and hands-on projects to help you apply the skills you’re learning.

Courses are available in:

• Math and logic
    • Personal development
    • Physical science and engineering
    • Social sciences

Through Coursera, you can take courses to earn a certificate or degree, develop new skills, prepare for a new career or switch careers. Companies often use the courses to offer professional training opportunities to employees.

According to a Coursera Learners Outcome Survey conducted in 2019, 87% of users who took professional development courses reported career benefits, including promotions, raises or career changes.

Coursera cost

The cost of Coursera classes varies based on the type of course, the course length and the subject matter. More in-demand courses, like Javascript and Blockchain, may cost more than courses like philosophy. On average, you can expect to pay the following prices for the three core offerings from Coursera:

Type of courseCourse lengthCourse cost
    Individualized course4 - 6 weeks$0 - $99 per course
    Special program4 - 6 months$39 - $79 per course
    Online degree1 - 3 years$15,000 - $25,000

Coursera FAQ

Is Coursera legit?
    Yes. The content on Coursera is crowdsourced from various contributors. The overall quality of courses may not be completely equal, but many consumers find value in the ability to supplement their learning opportunities.
    Are courses on Coursera accredited?
    Coursera offers a mix of accredited and nonaccredited courses. Some of its accredited classes feature specialized subjects and are offered in partnership with colleges and universities.
    Are the courses on Coursera free?
    Some Coursera courses are free, but most individual courses, which take around four to six weeks to complete, cost between $29 and $99 per course. Specialized programs and online degrees are also available from Coursera and have varying price points.
    Is Coursera helpful?
    Yes. People who can’t afford the cost of higher education often benefit from taking courses on Coursera, as do those who want to receive specialized training in a particular subject.

Is Coursera legit?

Coursera provides educational and skills advancement resources for individuals who don’t have access to traditional college programming or who want to improve their expertise in a specific field. Though the classes can be pricey and the enrollment dates are inflexible, the platform is valuable for many students and employees. However, because some employers don’t recognize degrees earned through Coursera, we mainly recommend the platform for business use.

Coursera Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera ?

Original review: July 3, 2020

I LOVE Coursera. I've taken dozens of courses and learned so much. And, it's free unless you want to earn a certificate. My favorite course was: "Hacking Exercise For Health. The surprising new science of fitness". Another good one is: "A Life of Happiness and Fulfillment". I also enjoyed De-Mystifying Mindfulness. There are so many courses to take in so many areas. Check it out. Go to coursera.org.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Coursera was extremely easy to use. I took their Intro to Psychology course and found it to be really practical and informative. The sections were easy to understand, the professor engaging and it wasn't a 700 step set up nightmare as I have experienced with other online courses. Given that this subject is applicable to so many workplaces and situations I would definitely recommend. Best of all, many of their free courses are very interesting and useful and the paid courses are not expensive. Give them a try!

Get buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2020

Being in a dominant market and the other learning platforms are not as good for the time. They will put into absorbing the information Also influence on the way. I am determined to help people with the right education of the product and the delivery of network services is a great opportunity!!

Original review: June 18, 2020

The course was an intro to IT, which was the first of 6 classes which culminated with a Google certification in general information technology comparable to a CompTIA A+. The course pace was slow enough to complete in plenty of time, and not so much time you found yourself bored. The class was interesting, engaging, and I'd like to finish the rest when I can.

Original review: June 13, 2020

I like how I can access the courses for free, and I have learned a lot from them. They offer certificates too, and the courses come from real universities around the world. Also there is plenty of options and categories to choose from.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Coursera's website is deceitful in its advertising. Everywhere it will say "Enroll for free", but then prompt you to create a profile and enter your credit card info. Once they have your info, they will start auto-charging you without regard. I would not trust them with your info, and they need to be more transparent in their practices.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

Total rip off. Signed up for Coursera about 24 hours ago and already want to put my laptop through the wall. Horrible sound quality. Tongue-tied instructors, unable to put one complete sentence together. “Save note” function isn’t working, can only paste and copy from transcripts and of course, the course is non-refundable. After experiencing the disappointing quality of content and luck of support on this platform I don’t believe that Coursera Certificates are worth anything at all. Don’t waste your time and hard earned money like I just did. Might as well watch YouTube videos instead, at least those are better quality and free.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

There is no refund policy. There was supposed to be a 7-day free trial and still was charged $50 for a course. Do not recommend. There is no way to contact them regarding charges and once a course has been started, you will be charged for it.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

When the course includes peer review you can be stuck for weeks with courses even though you've handed in your assignments. It comes down to whether someone else is taking the course or not. Meanwhile, you're forced to pay the monthly fees to stay in the course. When contacting support about this issue they just suggested that I ask for someone to review my assignments in the course forum, which is pointless if no one else is taking the course.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

The overall intent and quality of videos are good and excellent. The main problem with Coursera is they have very little feedback and cannot be contacted (at all in limited experience) for technical support. I took the reinforcement learning class to supplement some of my PhD research, the content is good and the exercises are equally well-thought out. However, work demands made me stop studying for about a month. When I tried to resume, all my programming was reset (I have tried troubleshooting this on my own to no avail). There is literally no way to get a real person to help you. Also, it is difficult to get help on programming exercises. There are better ways to learn in my opinion, with all respect.

Coursera Company Information