1.62/5
Based on 68 reviews that contain star ratings

68 Coursera Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2019

I decided to take the Internet of Things Specialization and was willing to pay the $49 per month for the online classes. What I found within the first week of taking the course was the quizzes were not completely based on the material provided. The video lectures, required reading, and optional reading assignments did not provide you with the information to pass the quizzes.

Also, there were no hints or suggestions as to how to or where to find the information. By week 2 the quiz was completely on information that was not provided. I have my degree in electrical engineering and know how to study and find information, but it makes no sense to me why the course materials are not represented by the quizzes. That is how it worked in college - you read a chapter, the professor lectures on the topic, you do homework on the topic, then you take a quiz or test on the information you learned. Not so with this course, you learn one thing but are asked questions on material you have no knowledge about.

Original review: March 23, 2019

They charged me for their courses without notice that it needs to indicate free trial ends soon and no refund to be made. This is ridiculous service system and policy that I ever heard about that. Even I can get refund even I forget to cancel free trials from a demo program or a learning platform. This policy is a scam that it is no refund if free trials ends.

Get expert buying tips about Online Course Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I enrolled in the computer vision course and was very disappointed with Coursera. There were several problems where I mention the 3 main ones. 1) The content of classes very shallow. 2) An almost complete lack of relation between the contents of the classes and the hard tests and finally, 3) No pedagogical support, or communication channel, e-mail, chat, absolutely nothing. Summary of my impression: I felt myself studying alone, reading a vague material, and experiencing tests that could not be solved based on classes. It is a 5-week course and I observed that the students, like me, are giving up after the second week.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Absolutely disappointed about this company. I subscribe for free trial on course and then decided to cancel it. When I tried to do it, website offered me half price sale, which I was agree on and was continuing learning. I paid half price for the course as it was written in my agreement and finish the course with certificate for a week. After 2 months I been charge for the whole price of course. I opened a chat with customer service and asked them for refund because I felt it was unfair. My learner support was someone with name Brady.

He or She answered me with the template that refund is not possible. I sent two more messages trying to figure out the reason and explain the situation that make me really confused, and I didn’t get any response. However, I had a course before when I paid the whole amount and wasn’t charge after, even that I didn’t cancel my subscription. Anyway, I am really dissatisfied and even if I had recommended this website for my friends before, now I don’t want to have any more connections with Coursera. I am sorry for such a bad review, but this is how it is.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I'm delighted to have this course offered on Positive Psychology through Coursera. I found out about it through the Friday Center at UNC. The professor, Barbara Fredrickson, is renowned in this field and she teaches PP at the University of North Carolina, near me. I appreciate the format and set up of the course. The videos are very well done. Barbara has 3 other people with her, all employees of UNC, who take the course and we get to view and hear their interaction. I'm extremely interested in Positive Psychology and you won't find a better professor than Fredrickson. A helpful aspect is that you can save notes, repeat parts of the vids, and you have written text to follow if you like along with the vid.

A big drawback is LACK OF SUPPORT. For being an educational program, this is a huge disadvantage!!! No toll free number. I emailed a question 4 days ago and never got a response. Also, I have no way of contacting other people taking the course right now. Like a chat room situation. For an educational company, I'm really surprised at the lack of support with Coursera. I'm very pleased with Barbara's course here. It's pleasant to watch and learn this way, I just miss having others to interact with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera ?

Original review: March 8, 2019

I was given an advance course. When attempting to cancel I was notified courses would remain. They indicated 7 day free trial. I was charged twice 79.00 and 49.00 for less than 15min and that time was going thru process of trying to cancel. I am 75 years old and this was not what I wanted. The initial information was 39.00 after trial period. I was charged over 3 times immediately. What a fraud. I am also writing a letter to the Attorney General of Florida.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I signed up for a Free Trial. I have supposedly cancelled this subscription several times. They have charged me 3 months, despite my repeated attempts to cancel the course. No phone number to call. Rip-off company.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I only wish I had researched this site before I became involved with Coursera. I contacted the company via chat - there are no telephone numbers - to discuss a missing certificate, and instead got the royal run-around. He did not answer my question. He was rude, and, without my permission, enrolled me in another class. Both he and the follow-up caller continued to say I was not enrolled, not had completed 3 classes since November, but when I offered to send him copies of those certificates he gave no response. I cannot find out how to cancel my monthly online paid subscription. Another person notified me by chat and the results were no better. Sometimes money spent on a bogus deal can be the best education. Maybe that should be Coursera's motto.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I got Coursera from Class Central, signed up, took the class, passed, and paid for a certificate. However, I am still trying to print or download my certificate. There is literally no one at Coursera; no email contact and no phone number contact. This site is a scam along with Cass Central. I finally got someone at Class Central, Laurie **, but she was also no help and she admits there is no contact person at Coursera. Class Central is willing to list Coursera on their directory even knowing the struggles people have gone through. Class Central is just as bad as Coursera; both scams. I will not be taking any more classes through this site.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have used Coursera for around three years. I have found some very interesting free courses but have never used the paid version so cannot comment on that. It is good for beginners as there are many courses for them but there are some good advanced ones too.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Do not use this company. They promise a free trial but debit your card even after you have canceled the free trial. DO NOT USE. They pretend that you have canceled after your subscription has been renewed. I have requested a refund but doubt very much that I will receive it.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I signed up to do one course, not realizing they keep charging a monthly subscription. I got dinged for over $100. I went in to cancel my subscription, annoyed but willing to eat the cost. Then today they charged me again with no option to get a refund!! I am fuming but unable to find any access to a phone number or email where I can query this. So I've paid $200 over and above the cost for the course!!! I wonder how much money they've made off suckers like me? Never will I use this company again.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Got charged for a course that I didn't sign up for and now they refuse to refund me or even transfer the credit to another course. Stay far, far away from Coursera and do NOT give them your credit card info!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

It looks like my problems with Coursera are consistent with other users. These are NOT free classes. The fine print is confusing enough that you'll wind up getting $49/month charged to your card, and they "don't do refunds"... even if the consumer did not realize s/he was buying a product. And if you try to cancel this unwanted subscription? Best of luck getting a hold of anyone at the company who will assist you. Do NOT give them your card number!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I enjoy my current experience with Coursera. At the moment I am taking two courses, both in the Marketing sector (Digital Mkt by University of Illinois and Neuromarketing by Copenhagen Business School). I find the videos interesting and the assignments as well. I learned many interesting things in these couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to check also the other course materials. Also, great customer service on the chat!

In response to Mr. ** of Riyadh's observation, I dare to say that this is not a movies platform, but an OPTIONAL educational platform. I understand and support the idea that each state has to provide a free educational system for its citizens, but when it comes about OPTIONAL programs supported by a global BUSINESS, you must pay. Because yes, Coursera is a BUSINESS, and it needs to generate profit. It's not the same as your state's government which has an obligation towards you, its citizen, but a COMPANY providing good quality study materials at a cost. You have the option of a 7 days free trial in which you can read exactly the materials you're interested in and take a decision.

When it comes about Netflix, you're spending $8*12 months = $96 to watch a limited number of series, documentaries and movies. Nothing bad, because this is exactly how much this entertainment service should charge. It is an opportunity for leisure at a fair price. BUT IT IS NOT AN INVESTMENT! On the other hand, a $79 membership on any trustworthy educational platform (that would be $948 per year), it is an investment. Investment = the action or process of investing money for profit. You're investing money into a program so you can get the knowledge that would generate profit.

Profit means also that you can build a successful business for yourself or you can become a more skillful employee that generates more revenue for the company, and as a result, earns more money. And trust me, once you start earning more, you'll cover the amount you spent in a matter of months! So yes, knowledge requires sacrifices, and sometimes you need to give up your Netflix membership or the beers at the bar. I hope I helped.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I'm not sure why so many people don't like the site. I have been using Coursera more or less since it first started and I have watched as it's matured into one of the best MOOC sites on the Web. There are a variety of topics where one can learn what he or she is interested in, including computer science, cybersecurity, data science, writing, history, math, video game development, and on and on. Best of all: it's free! Yes, if a person wants a credential to put on his or her resume or LinkedIn profile, then he or she can pay a fair monthly fee, but it's not required.

Virtually every class can be audited, so there is no reason to pay unless the student chooses to. I love the site and I will continue loving it. I have an enormous backlog of classes to work through right now and it's only going to get bigger as more and more schools sign up for the platform to give all of us FREE college education right from the comfort of our homes. You can't beat that! So, to those who love learning, do not hesitate. Sign up for Coursera now and prepare to have a lot of fun. I certainly am!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I am pleased with the course I took. I am sorry to hear about the billing issues people had; I did not have those issues. I found that most of the courses are free, but if you want grading and a certificate you have to pay, which is reasonable. If you don't need a certificate you can actually use this as a study tool. My only problem is that I can't seem to print my certificate let along view it. I have the receipt that I paid $49.00 so I should be able to print the certificate, but am unable. The frustrating problem is that there is no phone support or email support. I have tried using the Chat feature, but nothing happens. I will continue to use this company only if I can get help printing my certificate. If I can't print my certificate then I have wasted $49.00 and have been scammed.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

The subscription is extremely expensive!!! I don't think the subscription cost should exceed Netflix subscription (8$)! Producing a set of tutorial is certainly less expensive than what Netflix pays for producing TV shows (Netflix paid around $7 billion for content alone, not counting the salaries of 5.5 thousand employees) and they make me entertained. WHAT THE **!!! 49$!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I want to first point out that I graduated in 2016 from UB with my BSBA. UB is an AACSB accredited business institution and a world renowned R1 research university. My concentration is MIS, so to continue to build on my technical know-how, I decided to enroll in the very first blockchain specialization offered by UB through the Coursera platform. I enrolled in a monthly subscription for $39 in August. On 10/7 I received an email stating that there was "an issue processing your payment." I had already taken tests and started the project so I hurried to update my payment information. I waited and waited but the money never came out and I never regained access. I attempted to just reenroll, simple, right? Well instead of the $39 I signed up for, they wanted $49 to enroll again. I have a billing statement for $39 dated 10/7 and another requesting me to update my payment method and pay $39 by 10/12.

I contacted Coursera twice, the first time on 10/19 after I got tired of waiting to see the changes I made to my payment information be updated. I was told course rates "fluctuate" which is not an answer good enough to pacify me. The final time I contacted them they told me that they "had a system error that prevented my payment from going through" and there is "nothing they could do." But I can "enroll at $49 to regain full access." In other words, they sent me statements to pay $39 on 10/7 and 10/12 but when I contacted them on 10/19 I was told that I have to pay $49 now to get back all of the work I did.

First, a platform hosting as notable names as Coursera has should NOT be creating bad business, I wonder if these institutions know what they are doing (probably not but I am working on that). In any case why should this platform use my alma mater's name yet provide horrible resolution by doing nothing at all. Second, let's not pretend that we aren't using this platform to save money. It seems that the only people not fine with losing money are those who do not have it to spare. That is exploitation, or taking advantage of those who are underprivileged, and I am sure many others would agree. Unfortunately, it is legal but people make it acceptable when they choose to sit silently. I will reach out to Channel 2 to see if they would like to pick up a story on holding people in power accountable...

Resolution response: Oct. 24, 2018

Although this company has no phone support, someone emailed me a week later. The company addressed my problem and issued a refund for the month in question.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I had great expectations for this service, as it was recommended by a college advisor from Stanford as well as from the company I work for. However, after putting in many hours of work, completing all of the quizzes and reading materials, I was unable to pass the course at the end of the 5 weeks due to a flaw in the peer-review grading system.

Any peer can fail your final project without reason and without recourse, as there are no human phone support specialists. If you have failed your final project, you must re-submit. In the meantime, Coursera will bill you for an additional month while you wait for students in the next round of classes to review your assignment. It is definitely possible that no one will review your assignment, and you will be billed every month until you decide it is no longer worth the money to continue gambling that someone will pass your final project. I am sorely disappointed in this service and feel they mislead their customers on the cost of a certificate. The cost is theoretically unbounded, as this cycle could continue forever.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I signed up to take ONE class and they sign you up to make monthly payments without telling you. Even though I was not using the service during this last month I was charged. They do not refund subscriptions. Total scam and worst company I have ever made a purchase from. I would give it zero stars if I could.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

DO NOT give them your Credit/Debit Card #. I've been charged 8 times for a single course. When paying for the course, it errors out a few times. I reopened the browser and the payment. I later discovered that they double charged me with EACH failed AND Successful attempt. I've been charged 8 times for 1 course. That in itself wouldn't have been a big deal, IF I could reach them to fix it. Help Center is just a FAQ. The question that most closely resembles my problem directs you to contact them. Only thing is, the Contact Us link just links back to the FAQ.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I signed up for a Modeling Risk class and did not like it so I followed the direction on how to cancel subscription by going to My Purchases. I did this over a month ago and I still see $79 being charged to my credit card. There are no phone numbers listed to call. There is a chat but it's being operated by a robot. I just want my money back.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

My experience with Coursera is terrible. I was charged $64 each for two courses which I explored as a part of trial. I was charged $128 for two courses on Aug 14. On realising that, I cancelled my further subscription. After 1 week, the courses were removed from my account and there was no purchases history showing up. My subscription was to end on 14th September. When I tried to contact them, finding their email address itself was a long journey. I emailed them explaining the whole issue. Few days later, I got an email from them to rate their customer service which they never provided. People from big companies like Google and reputed universities are partnering with them and they are doing all this to disgrace them as well. I thought Coursera to be very good platform to enhance your skills, but they are just conning people. Wonder how come reputed people are partnering with them!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I thought of signing up one course in April but did not realized that I have been charged monthly through a subscription since. I must have missed something but I do not remember receiving any notification. Because of my job change, I actually did not catch up the first course. The short story is that I paid for 5 months, a total of $250, unknowingly, or ignorantly, without receiving any benefit.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Please be very careful when you pick a particular course from a specialization. I picked the Customer Analytics course and didn't interest the other courses in the specialization, so they continued to charge me after finishing Customer Analytics, and didn't give my money back, so I paid around $240 for only one course which worths only $79. You are not fair Coursera, and your managers should take some courses about business ethics. Two of them can take the ethics course with my money because I paid around $160 for NOTHING!!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I am sorry to hear so many people felt frustrated. My experience completing the Wharton Business Specialization was excellent. I really appreciated Barbara ** for Marketing with her 4P's and axes of excellence. I really appreciated the Supply Chain Professors' going out to real world facilities and teaching from there: diapers.com, warbyparker.com, etc. And the Finance and Accounting Courses were great as well, with valuable spreadsheets and debit and credit football helmets. J. Payment was wonderful, I understood an upfront lump sum and paid it for each course... the best part was my carbon footprint was minimized and I never had to drive anywhere to get it all done. The content was as good or better than many of my MBA courses. I got the idea from NPR Marketplace's piece on MBA for $2K. I was very happy.

My experience with Ecole Polytechnique was the only disappointment, when I completed all the work and even did extra grading for them, but they never gave me credit, just said I had to re-submit my work again in the next session. So... I signed up for the current session... let's hope this goes okay. I was also very thankful when I talked to a woman staffer at Coursera. When I explained to her my frustration about a change in the Wharton curriculum requirements that occurred during my completion effort and also explained the Ecole problem, she was willing to help me with the necessary changes. So now it is up to me to try and fit in with Ecole's schedule and call my credit card company when I am done to make sure no further charges are coming from Coursera.

I just wanted to again thank all the people working so diligently to prepare great courses on Coursera and deliver MOOC's to students worldwide. I am sorry to hear some others have lost their money in ways they found disappointing, however I hope that Coursera will help them soon so that this much appreciated way to learn is sustainable.

Original review: April 23, 2018

"Coursera site is down on Apr 20, 2018 and today Apr 23, 2018. Can you please send customer who paid subscription what is the problem and do you compensate customer for not able to use your platform with paid subscription?" The above message I posted on Coursera twitter however it never show up on their Twitter page. Their site is frequently down for maintenance and the paid customer like myself was not inform at all. NO compensation on your paid subscription for not able to use their site for more than 20 hours within a day.

Original review: April 19, 2018

My 14 year old son took a one month class last summer (2017). I just realized the company has been withdrawing $49 from my account ever since. I never signed a contract. I have lost $392 and the company will not reimburse that amount. A representative left a message on my phone that "it is not their policy to provide refunds".

Original review: April 6, 2018

So my PayPal balance was in the negative due to Coursera. I received an alert from Paypal and that's when I found out that Coursera had took it upon itself to charge me $49 a month for a course that I found for FREE on youtube. I had no idea that I was part of a subscription. I couldn't call or contact anyone at Coursera. So... No accountability on their part. They must be paying off other businesses because no one is holding Coursera accountable as they rob people blind. So this is legal, to tell people that a course is free or one set fee, then, discreetly and subtly throw in a subscription and to make it extremely difficult to cancel, and impossible to refund. How is this good business? Smells like a class action lawsuit to me.

Coursera expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dedicated to providing an exemplary education, without the price tag of a traditional college, Coursera partners with some leading universities to offer courses completely free. They push student engagement and faster learning as core values.

• Peer assessments: Courses are structured to allow assignments to be peer reviewed, giving individuals a better sense of what their works should look like when compared to others in the class.

• Unbeatable price: The price tag of free makes these online courses valuable sources for information.

• Plenty of options: More than 400 courses are available.

• Specialization certifications: By taking multiple courses along a funnel, you can master a skill, turn in a final project and earn a certification.

• Worldwide education: Classes are available in a variety of languages and across disciplines.

• Best for: Stay-at-home moms and students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Coursera questions and answers

What problem is Coursera trying to solve?
Coursera is a company on a mission to provide universal access to the world’s best education. Coursera partners with more than 100 of the world’s top universities and education institutions to offer online courses in a wide range of the most current disciplines for anyone to take, for free. More than 10 million learners globally have come to Coursera to gain knowledge and skills from the world’s most respected academic experts and earn Verified Certificates to advance their lives, careers, and communities.
What sets Coursera apart from the competition?
Coursera combines courses from the world’s top universities with interactive video content, peer-to-peer forums, discussions, assessments, and the opportunity to earn Verified Certificates issued by Coursera and the partner university offering the course. This format allows students to learn from the best instructors without the commitment of a full-time degree program. Another critical component is the social interaction among students taking the courses via our Q&A forums, in smaller study groups that have formed organically around the world, and through organized Meetups. We believe students learn best when they interact actively with the material and with each other.
What needs does Coursera fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Coursera aims to expand access to quality education for people everywhere, whether the intent is to enhance their resumes, dive deeper into a subject that’s of interest, or learn something entirely new. On top of world-class content, Coursera’s Verified Certificates offer learners the opportunity to demonstrate their new knowledge to potential employers or academic institutions.

In addition to expanding access to quality education, improving the classroom experience on traditional campuses across the globe is a major goal of Coursera’s. The company is leading new initiatives in “blended learning” to combine online learning with classroom interactions to maximize student outcomes. Blended learning allows students to watch lectures online so valuable classroom time can be spent engaging in discussions with the professor and addressing difficult topics.
How does Coursera measure success?
Learners enroll in Coursera courses for a range of reasons, so we take their goals into account when measuring success. Some people are curious about Astrobiology, for example, so they watch a video or two. Other learners may use Coursera to learn about a specific topic from top professors, as they would with a documentary. Then, there are learners who enroll in a course with every intention to complete it in order to build a new skill and feature their Verified Certificate on their LinkedIn profile or resume. Every time a learner uses Coursera to work towards and fulfill a goal (whether that goal is trying out an unfamiliar field, building a hard skill, or simply watching course videos for the sake of learning), Coursera counts that as success.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about online education? About Coursera?
Perhaps the biggest misconception surrounding online education is that Coursera is seeking to replace traditional universities and professors with online education. However, at Coursera, we do not expect to be able to replicate the university experience, nor is that our goal. Universities offer a tremendously valuable learning experience on campuses that we recognize cannot be replicated online.

At the same time, we believe online education has the potential to improve on-campus learning by allowing professors more flexibility in their teaching methods. We built Coursera’s platform to support a “blended learning” approach to education, wherein students can view lectures online prior to coming to class, and then use classroom time to pursue more interactive learning exercises and in-depth group discussions.

Moreover, Coursera provides people who may not otherwise have the time or resources to attend a traditional university the opportunity to enhance their skills and learn from some of the best professors in the world. In many cases, an education on Coursera is not replacing a university education, but rather providing an alternative to no higher education.
Has Coursera received any awards or recognition consumers would like to know about?
In April of 2014, Coursera won two Webby awards in the Education category: the first of which was the People’s Voice Award, selected by a popular vote, and the second, the Webby Award, selected by a panel of 1000 renowned and esteemed judges (including Huffington Post founder and Editor-in-Chief Arianna Huffington, Tumblr founder David Karp, Internet co-creator Vint Cerf, and musician David Bowie.)

In 2012, TechCrunch honored Coursera awarding the company the Crunchies’ Award for “Best Overall Startup” of the year. The Crunchies is a high-profile award that recognizes and celebrates the most compelling startups, internet and technology innovations of the year.
How has Coursera grown or evolved?
As the company continues to grow, an increasingly important part of our mission is to provide learners with a new kind of credential for the 21st century through Verified Certificates and Specializations.

Since launching in early 2013, Verified Certificates have become a key tool for learners to build and showcase skills to advance their careers. Of the learners who have earned a Verified Certificate, over 60 percent shared the credentials on their LinkedIn profile. A joint Duke/RTI study found that employers across a range of sectors look favorably upon online courses and accomplishments. Coursera is now one of the most recognized and trusted online destinations for learners looking to acquire and validate knowledge to the world. In fact, Coursera was recognized in fall 2014 by Linkedin as one of the most widely used Certificate Providers on their platform.

In addition, Coursera is increasing its Specializations offerings. A Specialization is a targeted series of courses designed to build high-demand skills and subject matter expertise in fields like data science and business management. Each Specialization offers learners the opportunity to complete a unique final project which connects what they’ve learned to relevant, real-world scenarios.

Coursera Company Information