3.9/5 (334 ratings)

About Coursera

Coursera is a global online learning platform that offers massive open online courses (MOOCs), specializations and degrees. Users can build skills with courses from universities like Yale, Stanford and New York University and companies like Google and IBM.

Pros

• Self-paced
  • High-quality video
  • Free courses available
  • Free seven-day trial

Cons

• Inflexible enrollment
  • Some courses are pricey

Bottom Line

If you want to learn a subject at your own pace, Coursera offers a wide selection of online courses, certificates and degrees at varying price points.

Top Coursera Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera ?

Verified

I'm delighted to have this course offered on Positive Psychology through Coursera ... I appreciate the format and set up of the course. The videos are very well done. A helpful as...

Verified

I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Coursera. I have loved the learning I have been able to do and look forward to taking many more classes with them .....

Coursera courses

Coursera has more than 3,900 courses, 13 professional certificates and 20 degrees available. The company offers on-demand video lectures, self-paced quizzes and hands-on projects to help you apply the skills you’re learning.

Courses are available in:

• Math and logic
  • Personal development
  • Physical science and engineering
  • Social sciences

Through Coursera, you can take courses to earn a certificate or degree, develop new skills, prepare for a new career or switch careers. Companies often use the courses to offer professional training opportunities to employees.

According to a Coursera Learners Outcome Survey conducted in 2019, 87% of users who took professional development courses reported career benefits, including promotions, raises or career changes.

Coursera cost

The cost of Coursera classes varies based on the type of course, the course length and the subject matter. More in-demand courses, like Javascript and Blockchain, may cost more than courses like philosophy. On average, you can expect to pay the following prices for the three core offerings from Coursera:

Type of courseCourse lengthCourse cost
Individualized course4 - 6 weeks$0 - $99 per course
Special program4 - 6 months$39 - $79 per course
Online degree1 - 3 years$15,000 - $25,000

Coursera FAQ

Is Coursera legit?
Yes. The content on Coursera is crowdsourced from various contributors. The overall quality of courses may not be completely equal, but many consumers find value in the ability to supplement their learning opportunities.
Are courses on Coursera accredited?
Coursera offers a mix of accredited and nonaccredited courses. Some of its accredited classes feature specialized subjects and are offered in partnership with colleges and universities.
Are the courses on Coursera free?
Some Coursera courses are free, but most individual courses, which take around four to six weeks to complete, cost between $29 and $99 per course. Specialized programs and online degrees are also available from Coursera and have varying price points.
Is Coursera helpful?
Yes. People who can’t afford the cost of higher education often benefit from taking courses on Coursera, as do those who want to receive specialized training in a particular subject.

Is Coursera legit?

Coursera provides educational and skills advancement resources for individuals who don’t have access to traditional college programming or who want to improve their expertise in a specific field. Though the classes can be pricey and the enrollment dates are inflexible, the platform is valuable for many students and employees. However, because some employers don’t recognize degrees earned through Coursera, we mainly recommend the platform for business use.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera ?

Original review: June 8, 2022

I was charged for a course after I completed the certification. I requested a refund and asked why was my credit card billed anyway. They said I had to cancel or complete the certification class. Which I did completed the course then the customer service rep was stuck when I said that. Check your cards because they are charging people for a service they not receiving any longer.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Their business model relies on sneaking in sub subscriptions that they hope you don’t notice. They DO NOT CARE about their learners- only about extracting as much money as possible. Horrible, unethical corporation run by sociopaths.

Get buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2022

How can a company call itself customer-oriented when it cannot issue a simple invoice after the payment? The company that I work for paid for one course for me and it turns out they do not issue invoices for individual clients! It means that if I want to get an invoice I have to create a business account with 5 seats minimum each costing $400/year, so in total it would cost me $4000 to get an invoice! I mean really?

Original review: March 17, 2022

I've tried 3 courses here. 1 was poor quality and billed me without me knowing (non-refundable of course), 1 was great but I was unable to buy the certificate with poor Customer Service back and forth, and the last is ok but the material is almost 10 years old. I did another course on the competitors and was great - no issue, high quality, no hidden fees. No idea why this company is more known - try the others.

Resolution response: March 7, 2022

This issue was resolved to my satisfaction by the company.

Original review: March 7, 2022

Coursera has a bait & switch going on that is unethical and possibly fraudulent where you purchase one course and then they sign you up for recurring payments unless you opt out. $49 per single course, and after that they just keep billing and billing. There is almost no recourse because they do not have a customer service program in place. I've filed a complaint with Coursera through their chat function and with the Better Business Bureau. I've also contacted the professor who gives the course and told him that Coursera is operating a bait & switch scheme and that it besmirches their reputation. I am not the only one complaining of these unauthorized charges and demand a refund.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

Coursera courses are the biggest Ripoff ever exists. I don’t know how this company still exists. Apple and Galaxy phones shouldn’t allow the app in their phones and tablets. You sign for a course that’s supposed to be $49 dollars for 1 month, you complete the course, and they continue charging your credit card for months and months. If you try to stop this, it’s impossible because they don’t have a customer service number, no way to cancel your subscription, they hide from you. Please Do Not use Coursera. They will Steal a lot of money from you. I only give 1 star review because there’s no zero stars.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

They_do_not_have_any_customer_service. Please_never_use_Coursera. There_are_better_option. They_are_terrible. They_are_inferior. They_stole_money_from_me. They_will_not_give_me_a_credit. PLEASE_DO_NOT_USE.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

The contents is good but the system accessing is very unstable. When I need a support, it's never can contact them. They have no email or phone no. to contact except the help center which is no way to access when you have problem with accessing.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Coursera is a rip-off, which I did not realize until a few days into my so called "7-day Free Trial." After searching through their website, while I was signed in, there was no place to cancel before the Trial ended. I even googled for directions, then realizing that it did not exist: that is, NO WAY to CANCEL before TRIAL ENDS. I searched further and realized then that there was no contact phone number for them online, and nobody's name listed to contact, plus no address.

I finally was able to send a message online via the website while I was signed in, and received an auto-generated message that they would respond. But no one ever responded. They kept sending me marketing type information, and information about their courses, but still no response. The Trial time period ends, and of course they charge my credit card. I immediately contacted my bank to challenge the charge, and after going back and forth with my bank, I was finally given back my funds (from my bank, and not from Coursera). Stay away from Coursera; as one reviewer has noted here on this board also, they will rip you off--by sucking you in with the notion of a Trial period, and then not giving you a place to cancel.

Original review: June 23, 2021

The Refund policy is the worst...and they make no effort by blocking any refund requests on the mobile app when almost all other things can be down on the mobile app. This auto billing should send warning emails beforehand and allow for easy one click Cancellation. This is not fair and I will continue to give bad reviews. The tiny portion of the course That I used was bland and only mildy informative.

Coursera Company Information