3.8/5 (117 ratings)

About Coursera

Coursera is a global online learning platform that offers massive open online courses (MOOCs), specializations and degrees. Users can build skills with courses from universities like Yale, Stanford and New York University and companies like Google and IBM.

Pros

• Self-paced
  • High-quality video
  • Free courses available
  • Free seven-day trial

Cons

• Inflexible enrollment
  • Some courses are pricey

Bottom Line

If you want to learn a subject at your own pace, Coursera offers a wide selection of online courses, certificates and degrees at varying price points.

Top Coursera Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera ?

Verified

I'm delighted to have this course offered on Positive Psychology through Coursera ... I appreciate the format and set up of the course. The videos are very well done. A helpful as...

Verified

I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Coursera. I have loved the learning I have been able to do and look forward to taking many more classes with them .....

Coursera courses

Coursera has more than 3,900 courses, 13 professional certificates and 20 degrees available. The company offers on-demand video lectures, self-paced quizzes and hands-on projects to help you apply the skills you’re learning.

Courses are available in:

• Math and logic
  • Personal development
  • Physical science and engineering
  • Social sciences

Through Coursera, you can take courses to earn a certificate or degree, develop new skills, prepare for a new career or switch careers. Companies often use the courses to offer professional training opportunities to employees.

According to a Coursera Learners Outcome Survey conducted in 2019, 87% of users who took professional development courses reported career benefits, including promotions, raises or career changes.

Coursera cost

The cost of Coursera classes varies based on the type of course, the course length and the subject matter. More in-demand courses, like Javascript and Blockchain, may cost more than courses like philosophy. On average, you can expect to pay the following prices for the three core offerings from Coursera:

Type of courseCourse lengthCourse cost
Individualized course4 - 6 weeks$0 - $99 per course
Special program4 - 6 months$39 - $79 per course
Online degree1 - 3 years$15,000 - $25,000

Coursera FAQ

Is Coursera legit?
Yes. The content on Coursera is crowdsourced from various contributors. The overall quality of courses may not be completely equal, but many consumers find value in the ability to supplement their learning opportunities.
Are courses on Coursera accredited?
Coursera offers a mix of accredited and nonaccredited courses. Some of its accredited classes feature specialized subjects and are offered in partnership with colleges and universities.
Are the courses on Coursera free?
Some Coursera courses are free, but most individual courses, which take around four to six weeks to complete, cost between $29 and $99 per course. Specialized programs and online degrees are also available from Coursera and have varying price points.
Is Coursera helpful?
Yes. People who can’t afford the cost of higher education often benefit from taking courses on Coursera, as do those who want to receive specialized training in a particular subject.

Is Coursera legit?

Coursera provides educational and skills advancement resources for individuals who don’t have access to traditional college programming or who want to improve their expertise in a specific field. Though the classes can be pricey and the enrollment dates are inflexible, the platform is valuable for many students and employees. However, because some employers don’t recognize degrees earned through Coursera, we mainly recommend the platform for business use.

Coursera Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera ?

Original review: March 9, 2021

I took one course with Coursera, a C++ programming course through University of Illinois. The course was good, and though I thought it went a little too fast, I got an A in it. I enjoy programming, so it may have been too intense for someone who was struggling a bit. That's only one part of my experience though. A year and a half later, when I had looked into some further courses but not opted to take one, I got a call from a recruiter about a tech opportunity. I assumed a coding bootcamp I had recently graduated had referred me, but as I reached the end of the interview process and signed their contract, I found out that Coursera had been the source of the recommendation. I was shocked that a platform I had taken one class on 1.5 years ago had been so thoughtfully put together that I was put forward for an important opportunity while I was job searching.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

The contents is good but the system accessing is very unstable. When I need a support, it's never can contact them. They have no email or phone no. to contact except the help center which is no way to access when you have problem with accessing.

Get buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Coursera is a rip-off, which I did not realize until a few days into my so called "7-day Free Trial." After searching through their website, while I was signed in, there was no place to cancel before the Trial ended. I even googled for directions, then realizing that it did not exist: that is, NO WAY to CANCEL before TRIAL ENDS. I searched further and realized then that there was no contact phone number for them online, and nobody's name listed to contact, plus no address.

I finally was able to send a message online via the website while I was signed in, and received an auto-generated message that they would respond. But no one ever responded. They kept sending me marketing type information, and information about their courses, but still no response. The Trial time period ends, and of course they charge my credit card. I immediately contacted my bank to challenge the charge, and after going back and forth with my bank, I was finally given back my funds (from my bank, and not from Coursera). Stay away from Coursera; as one reviewer has noted here on this board also, they will rip you off--by sucking you in with the notion of a Trial period, and then not giving you a place to cancel.

Original review: June 23, 2021

The Refund policy is the worst...and they make no effort by blocking any refund requests on the mobile app when almost all other things can be down on the mobile app. This auto billing should send warning emails beforehand and allow for easy one click Cancellation. This is not fair and I will continue to give bad reviews. The tiny portion of the course That I used was bland and only mildy informative.

Original review: June 1, 2021

I can't speak to the course content because immediately I was turned off by the business practices of this supposed B Corp. I do web design for a living and I'm not a dumb person, but somehow I couldn't figure out their subscription plans and upgrades and got billed for something. I went back to try and find out why, and all of their policies state that they don't offer refunds. Everything that looked like a subscription was cancelled through my account notifications, and then I still got billed. There is no customer service available and searching for "request refund" takes you to a page where they say they don't offer refunds.

As a B Corp, I would expect much better. As an educational company, I would expect better UX/UI so consumers are not confused about what they are signing up for and have an option to cancel a subscription before being billed for it. You should clearly let consumers know what they are signing up for and what they will be paying for.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I resent the fact that in the middle of this course all of a sudden I am required to use Firefox--stop the course and take the time to download and set up this program. That's a waste of time and an inconvenience and should be indicated prior to beginning the class. Then WORSE THAN THAT is that I'm supposed to download documents from other people, Word and Page documents, which are unsafe. It's a bad practice, very dangerous, to randomly pull private documents into my home computer. I won't take any courses that are set up like this. But Coursera offers NO PLACE to send input or feedback like this. That's why I'm writing here.

Original review: March 14, 2021

Do not give Coursera your credit card info. This is how it works, you sign up for a program certificate which includes several courses. You get charged every month while you are taking those courses. Thing is, you can NEVER get your last grade. They do not have enough students for you to do reviews or to review your work. That is right, no teacher interaction, students grade each other. You pay, forever. Customer service is anything but. They are not helpful and your only recourse will be to contact your bank and a lawyer.

Original review: March 13, 2021

Be very careful of EVER giving COURSERA a credit card number! They will pretend you have a trial period and then automatically WITHDRAW $49 from your credit card EVERY MONTH, even with NO USE. Then, they will pretend that this is TOTALLY NON REFUNDABLE. Coursera is NOT A NON-PROFIT. It is yet another CA Bay Area company finding the newest way to take money out of your pocket. I WILL NEVER USE COURSERA AGAIN!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I started working on a certification in the fall of 2020. I paid the monthly subscription fee. In late January 2021, I upgraded. When I went to submit an assignment, I was prompted to purchase again even though I had already paid. It was impossible to submit the assignment. If you can't submit your assignments, you can't get the certificate. I contacted Support. They said they wanted to refund my money. They said they didn't know when the issue would be resolved. They won't refund the money I had paid for previous months, and I invested time and money working towards a certificate that I can't finish because they don't know how to fix their own platform. Stay away unless you enjoy wasting your time and money.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

It's strange that the project (both videos and web applications ) are not available. 11 thread about no access. We all paid for the course but cannot access. Message Ended Nov 9, 2020. No response from Abbie W. **.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

Let me make this clear from the outset: the course content is very good. But, without the ability to communicate with the course administrators for questions, it becomes useless. I am reluctantly forced to cancel my course with Coursera.

Coursera Company Information