1.41/5

49 Coursera Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I had great expectations for this service, as it was recommended by a college advisor from Stanford as well as from the company I work for. However, after putting in many hours of work, completing all of the quizzes and reading materials, I was unable to pass the course at the end of the 5 weeks due to a flaw in the peer-review grading system.

Any peer can fail your final project without reason and without recourse, as there are no human phone support specialists. If you have failed your final project, you must re-submit. In the meantime, Coursera will bill you for an additional month while you wait for students in the next round of classes to review your assignment. It is definitely possible that no one will review your assignment, and you will be billed every month until you decide it is no longer worth the money to continue gambling that someone will pass your final project. I am sorely disappointed in this service and feel they mislead their customers on the cost of a certificate. The cost is theoretically unbounded, as this cycle could continue forever.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I signed up to take ONE class and they sign you up to make monthly payments without telling you. Even though I was not using the service during this last month I was charged. They do not refund subscriptions. Total scam and worst company I have ever made a purchase from. I would give it zero stars if I could.

Get expert buying tips about Online Course Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

DO NOT give them your Credit/Debit Card #. I've been charged 8 times for a single course. When paying for the course, it errors out a few times. I reopened the browser and the payment. I later discovered that they double charged me with EACH failed AND Successful attempt. I've been charged 8 times for 1 course. That in itself wouldn't have been a big deal, IF I could reach them to fix it. Help Center is just a FAQ. The question that most closely resembles my problem directs you to contact them. Only thing is, the Contact Us link just links back to the FAQ.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I signed up for a Modeling Risk class and did not like it so I followed the direction on how to cancel subscription by going to My Purchases. I did this over a month ago and I still see $79 being charged to my credit card. There are no phone numbers listed to call. There is a chat but it's being operated by a robot. I just want my money back.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

My experience with Coursera is terrible. I was charged $64 each for two courses which I explored as a part of trial. I was charged $128 for two courses on Aug 14. On realising that, I cancelled my further subscription. After 1 week, the courses were removed from my account and there was no purchases history showing up. My subscription was to end on 14th September. When I tried to contact them, finding their email address itself was a long journey. I emailed them explaining the whole issue. Few days later, I got an email from them to rate their customer service which they never provided. People from big companies like Google and reputed universities are partnering with them and they are doing all this to disgrace them as well. I thought Coursera to be very good platform to enhance your skills, but they are just conning people. Wonder how come reputed people are partnering with them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera ?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I thought of signing up one course in April but did not realized that I have been charged monthly through a subscription since. I must have missed something but I do not remember receiving any notification. Because of my job change, I actually did not catch up the first course. The short story is that I paid for 5 months, a total of $250, unknowingly, or ignorantly, without receiving any benefit.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Please be very careful when you pick a particular course from a specialization. I picked the Customer Analytics course and didn't interest the other courses in the specialization, so they continued to charge me after finishing Customer Analytics, and didn't give my money back, so I paid around $240 for only one course which worths only $79. You are not fair Coursera, and your managers should take some courses about business ethics. Two of them can take the ethics course with my money because I paid around $160 for NOTHING!!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I am sorry to hear so many people felt frustrated. My experience completing the Wharton Business Specialization was excellent. I really appreciated Barbara ** for Marketing with her 4P's and axes of excellence. I really appreciated the Supply Chain Professors' going out to real world facilities and teaching from there: diapers.com, warbyparker.com, etc. And the Finance and Accounting Courses were great as well, with valuable spreadsheets and debit and credit football helmets. J. Payment was wonderful, I understood an upfront lump sum and paid it for each course... the best part was my carbon footprint was minimized and I never had to drive anywhere to get it all done. The content was as good or better than many of my MBA courses. I got the idea from NPR Marketplace's piece on MBA for $2K. I was very happy.

My experience with Ecole Polytechnique was the only disappointment, when I completed all the work and even did extra grading for them, but they never gave me credit, just said I had to re-submit my work again in the next session. So... I signed up for the current session... let's hope this goes okay. I was also very thankful when I talked to a woman staffer at Coursera. When I explained to her my frustration about a change in the Wharton curriculum requirements that occurred during my completion effort and also explained the Ecole problem, she was willing to help me with the necessary changes. So now it is up to me to try and fit in with Ecole's schedule and call my credit card company when I am done to make sure no further charges are coming from Coursera.

I just wanted to again thank all the people working so diligently to prepare great courses on Coursera and deliver MOOC's to students worldwide. I am sorry to hear some others have lost their money in ways they found disappointing, however I hope that Coursera will help them soon so that this much appreciated way to learn is sustainable.

Original review: April 23, 2018

"Coursera site is down on Apr 20, 2018 and today Apr 23, 2018. Can you please send customer who paid subscription what is the problem and do you compensate customer for not able to use your platform with paid subscription?" The above message I posted on Coursera twitter however it never show up on their Twitter page. Their site is frequently down for maintenance and the paid customer like myself was not inform at all. NO compensation on your paid subscription for not able to use their site for more than 20 hours within a day.

Original review: April 19, 2018

My 14 year old son took a one month class last summer (2017). I just realized the company has been withdrawing $49 from my account ever since. I never signed a contract. I have lost $392 and the company will not reimburse that amount. A representative left a message on my phone that "it is not their policy to provide refunds".

Original review: April 6, 2018

So my PayPal balance was in the negative due to Coursera. I received an alert from Paypal and that's when I found out that Coursera had took it upon itself to charge me $49 a month for a course that I found for FREE on youtube. I had no idea that I was part of a subscription. I couldn't call or contact anyone at Coursera. So... No accountability on their part. They must be paying off other businesses because no one is holding Coursera accountable as they rob people blind. So this is legal, to tell people that a course is free or one set fee, then, discreetly and subtly throw in a subscription and to make it extremely difficult to cancel, and impossible to refund. How is this good business? Smells like a class action lawsuit to me.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I was trying to look at a data science course on the Coursera website, since I heard about it from a friend and the website required me to enter my CC details even to try a course. I have been charged $49 for past one year even though I have not logged on to their website for over a year. I did not sign up for the course and I have been charged over $600 for just logging on to the website. There is no easy way to contact them or cancel 'subscription' that I did not agree to and this is a rip off. Now the company is refusing refund.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I signed up for a Python certification 5-course program through Coursera. I only got through the first 2 courses before quitting. However, I paid the one year subscription already. At the one year mark, the subscription renewed itself. I had received an email that this would happen a couple days before the credit card was charged, but I couldn't get online in time to stop it. Of course, my credit card was charged last night. As in my first screenshot, you see the message in my email that I would be charged on the next day. In the second screenshot, you can see I was officially charged March 24th, which is today. My main complaint is that not even a single day has passed since my credit card was charged again and I can't get a refund??? The subscription is useless to me... Except that I am now going to let my whole office use it. I've lost my money, but I'll make sure that plenty of others get a benefit from it.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I paid a monthly fee of $79 to take two courses through Coursera for the Univ. of Penn. I completed both courses but the site states I didn't complete either of them. I had filled in the information to receive my certificates but I haven't received them either. There are no human contacts to respond to these questions I have. All they offer are articles or tech bots. I feel like I was conned and that's obviously not a good feeling.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I tried to take an R programming course online but the course was inflexible with respect to time and I quickly fell behind (I have a full time job). They kept charging my account and did so for over a year and they refused to refund any money once I found out and canceled. Worst of all they tried to charge me again this month. I emailed again and tried to call but no human interaction is allowed. In theory I've canceled again, but we'll see. They're shameless thieves as far as I'm concerned. They've set up an automated system that doesn't respond to customers.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Course: English for Journalism - It could be a good course and a platform, if it had been fair: I completed all the course, sent all the assignments, even paid for the course, and - I could not received the promised diploma?! I spent so much time! It helped me somehow, but... as it appeared, my account appeared under a different email address, I had to delete the other one - how it happened, only God knows! I wrote the emails to the creators - no answer?! It's a shame to treat the customers in such a way! COURSERA (FOR ME) IS NOT A RELIABLE PLATFORM. Even Alison is better - they, at least, do not create barriers, and if you passed all the exams and did all the work you had to, they award you with earned diploma. Odio inganni.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I signed up for and completed a specialization, which I was pleased with. I did my research and their site says that your automatic payments will stop when you complete your specialization. I finished on 2/21/18 only to find that I have been charged again for this month (March). They claim I signed up for a full course subscription, but was never told this. There is nowhere to call and you have to talk to a robot on the chat before you can talk to an actual human being. They are refusing to refund the $49 they charged me, even though I am canceling today and am not signed up for any more courses. I was happy with the specialization I took, but had I known Coursera was this shady, I wouldn't have bothered! Absolutely ridiculous!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had a very similar experience as Jennifer from MD. I canceled in Jan at the very end of my free trial. I did not receive an email but did see it canceled on screen but did not capture a screenshot. I was charged again today, looked and looked for a way to call them, could not find a phone contact but did find one on my credit card statement. Called the number and was told I could email at payments@coursera.org or look in course support pages. I emailed and did get a very quick response but got the same exact answer as Jennifer. I would not get a refund.

In addition, I felt the course content (Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence) was very disappointing. While some content was informative, the professor was frequently dropping his own name about his research and it was quite distracting. I also felt the assignments were appropriate for someone training to be a psychologist, learning to code scripts of conversation, will not help me in my business application.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I can't even acknowledge to myself how much money went to nothing! I signed up for this course: https://www.coursera.org/learn/systems-biology. It is from a very respectable institution, the author has Nature and Science papers, it had good ratings, and it's the topic I want to learn about. However, the course itself is horrible. The quizzes contain questions on content that was not in the lectures. It looks like a lot of slides were omitted. I was hoping it would get better but when I got to the midterm test and saw even more questions without relation to the lectures' content, I got really angry and canceled subscription. No refund available even when the course quality is like this?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I cancelled my subscription and received a notification that I would have access to the courses through the end of my subscription since they did not issue any partial refunds. The next month, I received notice of another subscription charge. When I contacted customer support (mind you, you can only do so by way of an online chat), they said it was still active, there was no record of a cancellation, and I "should have received an email" confirming the cancellation. I didn't get an email, I got a notification within the application confirming the cancellation. Since I didn't have the email, she said they wouldn't issue a refund.

After indicating my unhappiness, the support person said she would cancel my subscription and that she would have to "escalate" my issue and I would hear from support service. When I asked for confirmation of the cancellation she said it would take several hours with no information as to why there would need to be such a delay. I don't anticipate a good outcome which is a shame because I liked the course but couldn't continue. Now I won't return to it.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

If you have made a "subscription" they scam you with subscription and charge you continuously and there is no way to get your money back even if you have already paid for the same course multiple times. Horrible and deceptive.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I signed up for a what I thought was one course over a month long period... after a month it showed as 'completed' on my profile. The class was average at best, I did not go through all of the lessons because they were redundant and it was clear the students were mostly inexperienced in digital marketing even though it was touted as an 'advanced' course. A few months later I noticed 3 charges of $49 on my card - they had me signed up to a subscription! I never had any intention of doing this and I'm pretty savvy to be careful of 'online subscriptions.' Completely deceptive and judging from other customers I wasn't the only one. Of course, it was 'too late' for me to ask for a refund and there is absolutely no way to contact their customer service - they literally do not have a phone number, an office address, nothing that can allow a customer to hold them accountable.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I finished completing Windows and Linux Server Management Plus Security and never received a certificate. I contacted them and they said they had no records. After spending $30 per month and another $99 for the certificate all I got was a sorry and was asked if I was going to sign up for those courses. This place rips you off. There are better cert programs like EDx.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I signed up for a social media marketing certificate at USD $49. I became inactive in the courses, and so for three months following that, I was charged $60 CAD for a general catalog subscription that I never agreed to nor signed up for. When I emailed them, they told me they do not issue refunds on subscriptions. I consider this fraudulent and will try to report the site to the FTC if possible, or a Canadian equivalent if not.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Yet another case of thinking my cancellation went through -- and apparently, no it did not (so they say). I had not been on the site in MONTHS after the initial cancellation, and saw a massive charge on my bank account --OVER $200-- and when I wrote in to them within the same day, they absolutely refused any help and told me to basically go take the old courses again, the last of which was why I quit to begin with (the courses leading up to it DID NOT prepare you for what you needed for a certificate, nor was any prior knowledge supposedly needed on the course description), as well as personal health issues. Absolutely unethical behavior and beyond abysmal customer "support." This is beyond insane and I cannot afford this. Thanks for making sure I can't pay my actual bills, Coursera.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

BEWARE!!! They do everything in their power to bill you $49 a month including not sending you alerts letting you know you're going to be billed until it's too late to cancel. I agreed to a free month with them ended up being billed $49 for that month and billed again on the 23rd of that month! $98 for my free month!!! During Christmas. Could not afford my daughter's insulin because of this! There is absolutely no way to get a refund from them. The service is horrible, a majority of the time the videos play for 15 seconds then pause for 3 seconds. Wish I had never delt with this company. Very bad experience. BEWARE!!!

Resolution response: Dec. 21, 2017

After initially denying me a refund, Coursera customer service agreed to my refund request. I appreciate their flexibility.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

There is no “free trial” -their billing practices are misleading and predatory. Their customer service team is responsive, which is nice, but their only response is essentially to say you should have read the fine print. I watched a video from three different courses as part of my “free trial”. A week later I was charged a non refundable fee for each of those three courses.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I am paying 41 euros every month for enrollment in Coursera. The website almost always never shows up, I have to refresh multiple times. Now it has completely stopped appearing on my screen. Subsequent videos of the course (Organisational Analysis- Stanford) mostly show 404 not found error, and only after multiple reload, it sometimes shows up. This website uses names of such big institutions, yet I am being treated worse than a free-loader! No customer service at all. I want justice, hope this review forum helps.

Resolution response: Dec. 9, 2017

Subsequent to the review I did 2 days ago, I have been contacted by Coursera and had my money refunded. I am pleased with the result and have had my faith in the online course program restored. I hope others who have duped by that process find resolution. Grateful.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Very disappointing: The course I signed in for was one thing, but the cost to me financially makes me feel like I been duped. There is no customer service to help process anything - everything about the finances seems automated. I have been charged for three months now (approximately $60 per month) for a service I cancelled at the outset. Shame on Coursera for exploiting the online process. I will have to contact my bank in order to cut off their payments. When I checked my purchases page on December 5 for a fee they charged me for on December 4th, I was already getting a "Refund Deadline Has Passed". Their policy on refunds states that they will refund within a two week period.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

On July 28, 2015, I registered to a Coursera course, paying $474 with a two-week money back guarantee (please see the receipt). When I tried to un-enroll and be reimbursed, the website proved to make this impossible, with not even a way to contact the company to obtain reimbursement. I sent them an email to their security address (the one I could find), joking that this must have been a hack that made the reimbursement process impossible. Of course I was never reimbursed.

Coursera expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dedicated to providing an exemplary education, without the price tag of a traditional college, Coursera partners with some leading universities to offer courses completely free. They push student engagement and faster learning as core values.

• Peer assessments: Courses are structured to allow assignments to be peer reviewed, giving individuals a better sense of what their works should look like when compared to others in the class.

• Unbeatable price: The price tag of free makes these online courses valuable sources for information.

• Plenty of options: More than 400 courses are available.

• Specialization certifications: By taking multiple courses along a funnel, you can master a skill, turn in a final project and earn a certification.

• Worldwide education: Classes are available in a variety of languages and across disciplines.

• Best for: Stay-at-home moms and students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Coursera questions and answers

What problem is Coursera trying to solve?
Coursera is a company on a mission to provide universal access to the world’s best education. Coursera partners with more than 100 of the world’s top universities and education institutions to offer online courses in a wide range of the most current disciplines for anyone to take, for free. More than 10 million learners globally have come to Coursera to gain knowledge and skills from the world’s most respected academic experts and earn Verified Certificates to advance their lives, careers, and communities.
What sets Coursera apart from the competition?
Coursera combines courses from the world’s top universities with interactive video content, peer-to-peer forums, discussions, assessments, and the opportunity to earn Verified Certificates issued by Coursera and the partner university offering the course. This format allows students to learn from the best instructors without the commitment of a full-time degree program. Another critical component is the social interaction among students taking the courses via our Q&A forums, in smaller study groups that have formed organically around the world, and through organized Meetups. We believe students learn best when they interact actively with the material and with each other.
What needs does Coursera fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Coursera aims to expand access to quality education for people everywhere, whether the intent is to enhance their resumes, dive deeper into a subject that’s of interest, or learn something entirely new. On top of world-class content, Coursera’s Verified Certificates offer learners the opportunity to demonstrate their new knowledge to potential employers or academic institutions.

In addition to expanding access to quality education, improving the classroom experience on traditional campuses across the globe is a major goal of Coursera’s. The company is leading new initiatives in “blended learning” to combine online learning with classroom interactions to maximize student outcomes. Blended learning allows students to watch lectures online so valuable classroom time can be spent engaging in discussions with the professor and addressing difficult topics.
How does Coursera measure success?
Learners enroll in Coursera courses for a range of reasons, so we take their goals into account when measuring success. Some people are curious about Astrobiology, for example, so they watch a video or two. Other learners may use Coursera to learn about a specific topic from top professors, as they would with a documentary. Then, there are learners who enroll in a course with every intention to complete it in order to build a new skill and feature their Verified Certificate on their LinkedIn profile or resume. Every time a learner uses Coursera to work towards and fulfill a goal (whether that goal is trying out an unfamiliar field, building a hard skill, or simply watching course videos for the sake of learning), Coursera counts that as success.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about online education? About Coursera?
Perhaps the biggest misconception surrounding online education is that Coursera is seeking to replace traditional universities and professors with online education. However, at Coursera, we do not expect to be able to replicate the university experience, nor is that our goal. Universities offer a tremendously valuable learning experience on campuses that we recognize cannot be replicated online.

At the same time, we believe online education has the potential to improve on-campus learning by allowing professors more flexibility in their teaching methods. We built Coursera’s platform to support a “blended learning” approach to education, wherein students can view lectures online prior to coming to class, and then use classroom time to pursue more interactive learning exercises and in-depth group discussions.

Moreover, Coursera provides people who may not otherwise have the time or resources to attend a traditional university the opportunity to enhance their skills and learn from some of the best professors in the world. In many cases, an education on Coursera is not replacing a university education, but rather providing an alternative to no higher education.
Has Coursera received any awards or recognition consumers would like to know about?
In April of 2014, Coursera won two Webby awards in the Education category: the first of which was the People’s Voice Award, selected by a popular vote, and the second, the Webby Award, selected by a panel of 1000 renowned and esteemed judges (including Huffington Post founder and Editor-in-Chief Arianna Huffington, Tumblr founder David Karp, Internet co-creator Vint Cerf, and musician David Bowie.)

In 2012, TechCrunch honored Coursera awarding the company the Crunchies’ Award for “Best Overall Startup” of the year. The Crunchies is a high-profile award that recognizes and celebrates the most compelling startups, internet and technology innovations of the year.
How has Coursera grown or evolved?
As the company continues to grow, an increasingly important part of our mission is to provide learners with a new kind of credential for the 21st century through Verified Certificates and Specializations.

Since launching in early 2013, Verified Certificates have become a key tool for learners to build and showcase skills to advance their careers. Of the learners who have earned a Verified Certificate, over 60 percent shared the credentials on their LinkedIn profile. A joint Duke/RTI study found that employers across a range of sectors look favorably upon online courses and accomplishments. Coursera is now one of the most recognized and trusted online destinations for learners looking to acquire and validate knowledge to the world. In fact, Coursera was recognized in fall 2014 by Linkedin as one of the most widely used Certificate Providers on their platform.

In addition, Coursera is increasing its Specializations offerings. A Specialization is a targeted series of courses designed to build high-demand skills and subject matter expertise in fields like data science and business management. Each Specialization offers learners the opportunity to complete a unique final project which connects what they’ve learned to relevant, real-world scenarios.

Coursera Company Information