Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.50/5

Coursera offers online courses for students of all ages and experience levels. Joining is free, and many courses are free or low cost. Students can take any courses they’d like and receive an online bachelor’s or master’s degree. Professional certificates are available for select courses. Students complete classes at their own pace, and many courses include support from a professor.

Coursera Reviews

Original review: May 26, 2020

I signed up for a six week online course with the University of London. What I didn't realize is that the course was through Coursera. If you are considering a course through this company, don't do it. There is no way to contact them. There are technical issues with their site. I was not able to complete one module as there was an issue with the quiz. No one at Coursera could give me an answer to allow me to complete the test. The company has issues and I am not sure how legitimate they really are. Stay away from them. I wish I had looked at these reviews before I signed up.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I took a specialization on Coursera involving several courses. When I got to the final course, month after month, my last papers for this course had not been graded. Due to this adverse situation, I closed my account.

Get buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Criminal organisation that leaves no means of contact or feedback on its website, knowing fully well that it is out to defraud customers. I enrolled for a free course, was asked to enter my card details merely for confirmation that I was human and I did. Then I was billed £43 for a supposedly free course. A week later, I get a receipt for £38 by email. I have since requested for a refund but no reply after 3 weeks. This is the height of irresponsibility and I say shame to all the handlers of the company. I cannot actually believe it is owned by academics as purported!

Original review: May 18, 2020

Make sure you look into the fine print of their subscription policy. It is free at first and then you are charged without notification. I actually didn't even know I was being changed for a couple months. I was supposed to have a free month but they charged me for the "free month". Since I hadn't used it, I forgot about it. Most brands send you a reminder that you are about to be charged so you can prevent the charge if you want. Not these guys. There is NO option to put the membership on hold or come back and learn on their platform for the months you paid for but didn't use. The membership fee is pretty steep and it is non-refundable. They do not have ANYONE you can speak to make any corrections. I've been using a few learning platforms of late and this was the worst experience hands down.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I can't say anything about course quality. However, beware of their subscription billing practices. They will NOT give you a warning that a charge is coming. It will just show up on your credit card. If you cancel the same day as the charge, they will not refund it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera ?

Original review: May 7, 2020

Take care if you subscribe to a course. First, it is free for some days then they charge you and without notifications, so they charge you every month. I took a course and I forget to canceled so I finished it on March 29th, but they are malicious because they didn't tell me anything about the continuation so they charged again in April and in May and even I didn't enter to the platform so I paid a lot for a regular course because it was so bad. I hope they don't charge again because I don't want to take a course with them in the future.

Original review: May 6, 2020

1. Most of the courses are NOT accredited. Coursera have some accredited courses but they cost around 4k so if you are not paying in thousands then your course is surely not accredited.

2. Tutors are non responsive. Sometimes they do answer but since you are paying monthly subscription, it seem in they interest not to answer your questions so that you keep paying for longer. Seen posts from a year ago that have their only response a year later! Recently I'm in a situation that I see other students reporting the same issue as me, I keep asking for help every day on the same issue and have been ignored for weeks.

3. Tutorials are outdated for years! Coursera wants to use programs that is specific for them (like IBM cloud) but the tutorials are few years old and the interface has changed since then. So when they guide you "click here" there is no such an option any more. When you're stuck, you will need to manually search from tons of students who had the same problem or find a friend who will help you as your chances of getting response from tutors are slim.

4. Don't count on in depth explanations. A lot of material is covered fast so I was glad I have done my python course beforehand and that I have masters degree in Math - otherwise I think I would be lost.

Finally: My "Data Science professional certificate course" consists of 9 sub-courses. Due to some technical problem I can't finish 1 sub - part and since there is no answer from tutors it seem like all the other certificates I got will come to waste as I can't finish the course without submitting all the parts. Asked for help many times - till now no reply.

Original review: April 30, 2020

Maybe Coursera was okay at one point, but it's just a ripoff now. They offer a "free" trial period and then charge your card without warning at some point. I was charged $49.00 for a course I hadn't time to even try (we're in the middle of Coronavirus craziness now). As soon as I received notice of the charges, I tried to contact them via chat, but at this point they aren't even doing "chats" anymore. Instead you get routed to a "help" page, and once there, you end up in an endless customer non-service do-loop. When you want to cancel the unwanted "subscription" (you can't get your money back), it's not straightforward, and neither is cancelling the account. If they were actually offering a good product they wouldn't have to cheat people like this. Buyer beware - you'll pay no matter what, even if they say it's free, and even if you don't want it. Spend a little more money and attend courses at a public college; you won't regret it.

Original review: April 17, 2020

Be sure to read the Terms and Conditions for this FREE Trial, they charge your credit card and if you wish to cancel beforehand your credit card is charged. VERY MISLEADING, very difficult to get any replies by email let alone by phone.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I was auto charged 79.00 and I went online to chat with them about this, (the only way to contact them which was extremely frustrating) they refused to refund my money, and then proceeded to go round and round with me not understanding what I was trying to say. I asked for a customer service number that I could call because it seemed that the person I was chatting with did not have a good understanding of the English language. (Where are the people that chat? India, somewhere else?) It is a good platform for learning new things but the customer service being so poor brings my stars to one. This is no way to treat customers and just sit back, keep charging people and not having any kind of refund policy. The people who run this are running to the bank without a care to the world.

Coursera author review by ConsumerAffairs

Dedicated to providing an exemplary education, without the price tag of a traditional college, Coursera partners with some leading universities to offer courses completely free. They push student engagement and faster learning as core values.

• Peer assessments: Courses are structured to allow assignments to be peer reviewed, giving individuals a better sense of what their works should look like when compared to others in the class.

• Unbeatable price: The price tag of free makes these online courses valuable sources for information.

• Plenty of options: More than 400 courses are available.

• Specialization certifications: By taking multiple courses along a funnel, you can master a skill, turn in a final project and earn a certification.

• Worldwide education: Classes are available in a variety of languages and across disciplines.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Coursera questions and answers

What problem is Coursera trying to solve?
      Coursera is a company on a mission to provide universal access to the world’s best education. Coursera partners with more than 100 of the world’s top universities and education institutions to offer online courses in a wide range of the most current disciplines for anyone to take, for free. More than 10 million learners globally have come to Coursera to gain knowledge and skills from the world’s most respected academic experts and earn Verified Certificates to advance their lives, careers, and communities.
      What sets Coursera apart from the competition?
      Coursera combines courses from the world’s top universities with interactive video content, peer-to-peer forums, discussions, assessments, and the opportunity to earn Verified Certificates issued by Coursera and the partner university offering the course. This format allows students to learn from the best instructors without the commitment of a full-time degree program. Another critical component is the social interaction among students taking the courses via our Q&A forums, in smaller study groups that have formed organically around the world, and through organized Meetups. We believe students learn best when they interact actively with the material and with each other.
      What needs does Coursera fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
      Coursera aims to expand access to quality education for people everywhere, whether the intent is to enhance their resumes, dive deeper into a subject that’s of interest, or learn something entirely new. On top of world-class content, Coursera’s Verified Certificates offer learners the opportunity to demonstrate their new knowledge to potential employers or academic institutions.

In addition to expanding access to quality education, improving the classroom experience on traditional campuses across the globe is a major goal of Coursera’s. The company is leading new initiatives in “blended learning” to combine online learning with classroom interactions to maximize student outcomes. Blended learning allows students to watch lectures online so valuable classroom time can be spent engaging in discussions with the professor and addressing difficult topics.
      How does Coursera measure success?
      Learners enroll in Coursera courses for a range of reasons, so we take their goals into account when measuring success. Some people are curious about Astrobiology, for example, so they watch a video or two. Other learners may use Coursera to learn about a specific topic from top professors, as they would with a documentary. Then, there are learners who enroll in a course with every intention to complete it in order to build a new skill and feature their Verified Certificate on their LinkedIn profile or resume. Every time a learner uses Coursera to work towards and fulfill a goal (whether that goal is trying out an unfamiliar field, building a hard skill, or simply watching course videos for the sake of learning), Coursera counts that as success.
      What’s the most common misconception consumers have about online education? About Coursera?
      Perhaps the biggest misconception surrounding online education is that Coursera is seeking to replace traditional universities and professors with online education. However, at Coursera, we do not expect to be able to replicate the university experience, nor is that our goal. Universities offer a tremendously valuable learning experience on campuses that we recognize cannot be replicated online.

At the same time, we believe online education has the potential to improve on-campus learning by allowing professors more flexibility in their teaching methods. We built Coursera’s platform to support a “blended learning” approach to education, wherein students can view lectures online prior to coming to class, and then use classroom time to pursue more interactive learning exercises and in-depth group discussions.

Moreover, Coursera provides people who may not otherwise have the time or resources to attend a traditional university the opportunity to enhance their skills and learn from some of the best professors in the world. In many cases, an education on Coursera is not replacing a university education, but rather providing an alternative to no higher education.
      Has Coursera received any awards or recognition consumers would like to know about?
      In April of 2014, Coursera won two Webby awards in the Education category: the first of which was the People’s Voice Award, selected by a popular vote, and the second, the Webby Award, selected by a panel of 1000 renowned and esteemed judges (including Huffington Post founder and Editor-in-Chief Arianna Huffington, Tumblr founder David Karp, Internet co-creator Vint Cerf, and musician David Bowie.)

In 2012, TechCrunch honored Coursera awarding the company the Crunchies’ Award for “Best Overall Startup” of the year. The Crunchies is a high-profile award that recognizes and celebrates the most compelling startups, internet and technology innovations of the year.
      How has Coursera grown or evolved?
      As the company continues to grow, an increasingly important part of our mission is to provide learners with a new kind of credential for the 21st century through Verified Certificates and Specializations.

Since launching in early 2013, Verified Certificates have become a key tool for learners to build and showcase skills to advance their careers. Of the learners who have earned a Verified Certificate, over 60 percent shared the credentials on their LinkedIn profile. A joint Duke/RTI study found that employers across a range of sectors look favorably upon online courses and accomplishments. Coursera is now one of the most recognized and trusted online destinations for learners looking to acquire and validate knowledge to the world. In fact, Coursera was recognized in fall 2014 by Linkedin as one of the most widely used Certificate Providers on their platform.

In addition, Coursera is increasing its Specializations offerings. A Specialization is a targeted series of courses designed to build high-demand skills and subject matter expertise in fields like data science and business management. Each Specialization offers learners the opportunity to complete a unique final project which connects what they’ve learned to relevant, real-world scenarios.

Coursera Company Information