Udemy

Udemy Reviews

3.9/5 (264 ratings)

About Udemy Reviews

Udemy is an online learning platform with more than 100,000 video courses. Some courses are free, but all are relatively inexpensive. Students receive guidance from an experienced instructor and have lifetime access to any course. Courses are available in 65 languages. Topics include business, finance, development, information technology, design, music and fitness.

Pros

• Course variety
  • Lifetime access
  • Pay-per-course

Cons

• No academic credit
  • Can be pricey

Bottom Line

Udemy is a great option for people who want to build or enhance skills. It has a variety of courses with multiple learning styles and provides lifetime access.

Top Udemy Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Many of my coworkers choose to use Udemy for continuing education. I feel it has the best selection, training and curriculum vs others I have tried. Yes, the courses may be longer...

Verified

I'm in the middle of taking two different Udemy courses ... and both are excellent (IMHO). I know that some people have had bad experiences with Udemy courses ... So some are good...

What is Udemy?

Udemy is an online learning platform for students and professionals. Udemy has more than 50 million students and 57,000 instructors who teach courses in over 65 languages. The company has more than 100,000 online courses available on desktops, laptops and mobile devices through its Android and iOS apps. Users can study any topic at any time, and every course purchase includes lifetime access to the classes.

Popular course categories on Udemy include:

• Development
  • Business
  • IT and software
  • Design
  • Marketing
  • Personal development
  • Photography
  • Music

You can answer a few quick questions, including what topics you’re curious about and how familiar you are with specific subjects, to receive personalized course recommendations.

Udemy courses are taught by video, audio or text. Course features vary by platform but can include quizzes, closed captions, bookmarks, reviews and instructor announcements.

When you complete a paid Udemy course, you receive a certificate of completion. Because Udemy is not an accredited institution, the certificate only demonstrates your skills and achievements to employers, family members or friends.

Udemy for Business is a popular option for employee learning. All Udemy for Business clients receive unlimited access to the 4,000 most popular courses and fresh content from more than 1,500 experts and real-world practitioners.

Udemy prices

Some popular online learning platforms feature a membership system, but Udemy is a pay-per-course service. Courses on Udemy range from $9 to $300, and the company frequently hosts sales.

Udemy accepts international debit and credit cards, PayPal and bank transfers. The company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Udemy FAQ

Is Udemy accredited?
Udemy is not an accredited institution. Each completed Udemy course includes a certificate, but the certificate can’t be used to seek formal accreditation.
Are Udemy courses legitimate?
Udemy is a legitimate company. Courses are designed to help you learn or enhance a particular skill. Every student who completes a course receives a certification of completion, though it cannot be used to receive formal accreditation for continuing education units or coursework.
Why is Udemy so cheap?
Udemy courses are priced based on the market, though the company does host sales and sometimes an instructor offers discounts to increase sale volume.
How long are Udemy courses?
Every course has a specific duration associated with it. Once the course is purchased, the consumer has lifetime access to their selected courses.

Do we recommend Udemy?

Udemy offers free and paid always-accessible instructional courses on a variety of topics for professionals and students. If you want to learn a new skill or develop a current one, Udemy is a great option for learning. Though some of its programs can be pricey, the site offers several economical and free instructional courses. We recommend Udemy for its varied assortment of coursework, simple payment structure and lifetime access.

Udemy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Udemy?

Original review: March 18, 2022

A very absurd act of Udemy! I'm Vietnamese in Russia, I've been buying and studying Udemy's courses all year. I paid all for a course and it is Udemy's obligation to deliver the course according to my bill, but now why won't udemy let me continue my studies just because I'm in Russia? This action is a blatant act of stealing and appropriating property in a blatant manner.

Udemy is in serious violation of consumer protection laws or frankly a SCAM (because Udemy collected my money but did NOT provide a commensurate service). A place related to education but blatantly cheating and appropriating users' assets, how does Udemy claim to be an educational tool - a civilized tool? You are behaving like a prehistoric and uncultured person. Such a tool is not qualified to teach other people how to be human. I give up Udemy forever because you are not fit for the role of imparting knowledge. PS: Who are we? We are just consumers, how can we influence the political situation of the "big guys"? What an insult.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I have been an Udemy customer for more than a decade. I bought courses and have more than 100 titles that I have archived and used for reference when needed. I got excellent support for getting some discount codes when prices were too high. My purchases were high and also refunds. Refunds were requested because the course did not meet my expectations. Udemy has an apparent and unambiguous refund policy where if you are not satisfied for any reason, a refund will be processed with no questions asked.

My recent purchase from Udemy was below standard and an outdated course. I wonder why Udemy cannot vet the instructors for their content. They want to promote some of the offered courses with no quality in mind. My request for a refund has been flagged. Their support process is very cumbersome. I finally managed to speak on a chat with a rep who seemed to understand my predicament and has escalated the issue for a refund. The moral of the story: stay away from Udemy as there are other good places to get online courses.

Get buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

This Site shows you every type of content and when you purchase it, they will play once or twice and after that they will block your account saying that you have violated their policies and after that they will never communicate with you. Even after sending them multiple emails. Contacting them is a headache, if you check their chat support they would just create a ticket and tell that our concerned team would contact you. Now their team is so busy that they would contact after two days and if you reply on their emails that I have not violated any terms and want to communicate they will never reply to your emails. This is my experience purchased the subscription and not able to use it. They are not ever refunding my money as well. Therefore they only swallow the money.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

If you have a Mac, I would avoid purchasing anything on Udemy. The explanations for Mac are less and not precise as for pc. The helpers are not trained to answers academic questions but only registering concerned (Basically when it's time to take your money). I was unable to switch dbg for lldb because it was simply not available for my Mac Big Sur for codelite. I found out after researching online. Also some commands in within were not available for Mac. And I texted to get an answer and instead of answering the solution, when I finally got to the instructor, he simply deflected the question and demanded me to ask the question somewhere else. Now I'm stuck with a credit 29 $ and all the prices for other classes are back to 140$ in which I'm not interested anyway. I would happily give my 29$ credit to someone with a PC.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

Paid for a guitar course, which is useless.... Tried to get a refund but this was denied. Udemy is a scam, pure and simple. The guitar course is led by an instructor who spends his time talking but not teaching anything at all.... Scam.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

Udemy.com is real scam organization. Here is my experience. I have purchased 3 courses from Udemy and paid 1080 INR from my phone wallet. I have not received access to my purchased courses. When I contact Udemy customer support, the said they have not received money but I can see that money was deducted from my phone wallet and I have transaction id. Funny thing is, During my discussion with Udemy customer care representative before I provide them transaction id, they said even though I have transaction id they can't help in providing access to my purchased courses. After 48 hours, they mentioned that they have not received money and hence they cannot provide access to my purchased courses. Even though you have a transaction id which clearly chows that payment was done to Udemy india as shown below. I request all who wants to purchase courses from Udemy, just think twice and it is up to you. I AM SURE THIS IS A BIG SCAM.

PhonePe Nov 25, 2021
    Paid To Udemy India: ₹ 1080
    Txn. ID: **
    Txn. Status: Successful
    Debited From: Wallet
    Updated balance: ₹ 3056

Order ID: **

"Hi Sundaram **

If you have not made this transaction or notice any error please contact us.

Cheers!

Team PhonePe"

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Udemy is a scam!!! Save your money. I bought a course 5 days ago. The course was terrible and very hard to understand. I sent them a request and it was ignored. I kept trying to listen to the instructor it literally got worse. I finally had enough and requested a full refund. They denied it although I had only gone 19% through, their own website says a "Significant portion needs to be used." 19% is not significant. Secondly, they promise 30 days, what a lie. Do not ever use udemy. I am contacting my bank and let them handle it. I am also posting this to Trustpilot, Google Reviews, Yelp and BBB.

Resolution response: Nov. 17, 2021

I want to update my previous post. I finally received my refund after numerous emails to Udemy. My credit was paid into my bank account this morning. I wish their refund process was so complicated and time consuming.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

Updated on 11/13/2021: This is a follow up review on my previous review complaining about Udemy Refund policy. Udemy responded to my Email enquiry and it seems like they will now action the request for my refund. I truly hope they do.

Original: I purchased 3 Udemy online courses and then decided to rather request a refund. Udemy did not refund me. Instead they gave me a credit on my account. I don't want a credit. I want a refund not a credit. I want the money refunded into my bank account.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

On 10/25 I signed up for a trial on "Master Digital Marketing- Google Certificate", then 3 days later I noticed it was not for me, the Facebook training was outdated and more. I then went to the website, jumped hoops, to request for a refund, but learned that "I had signed into the course too many times", per UDEMY description so I did not qualify for the refund. The course is outdated and the refund is bogus. My caveat is sign up for UDEMY.COM curses at your own risk. UDEMY.COM refund policy is bogus!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

The required Google Widevine DRM makes the Udemy platform a lot more unattractive. Even making a screenshot of an interesting schedule is being blocked. This seems pretty bad to me. There are many variations of passages of Lorem Ipsum available, but the majority have suffered alteration in some form, by injected humour, or randomised words which don't look even slightly believable. If you are going to use a passage of Lorem Ipsum, you need to be sure there isn't anything embarrassing hidden in the middle of text. All the Lorem Ipsum generators on the Internet tend to repeat predefined chunks as necessary, making this the first true generator on the Internet. It uses a dictionary of over 200 Latin words, combined with a handful of model sentence structures, to generate Lorem Ipsum which looks reasonable. The generated Lorem Ipsum is therefore always free from repetition, injected humour, or non-characteristic words etc.

Udemy Company Information