Online learning at it's best

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

Udemy Reviews

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

The bookkeeping courses were simple and had a good gradient. I didn't feel confused or lost at any time during the two first couress. The third course was QuickBooks and that got a bit complicated as there was some omitted steps that was not explained. On the other hand if you are going to be super specific the course would take over 100 hours. I figured it out and the explanations given by the instructor was otherwise detalied. When I emailed him he answered within 48 hours on the two first courses but hasn't answered anything on my third course so not sure what is up.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I'm in the middle of taking two different Udemy courses, Java Programming Masterclass and the Complete 2019 Web Development. I paid about about 15 USD for these courses and both are excellent (IMHO). I know that some people have had bad experiences with Udemy courses and I think that maybe because Udemy doesn't seem to be very good at setting the standards for courses they offer. So some are good and some not so good.

So I suggest that the best way to approach Udemy courses is two fold: 1. Don't buy any class that doesn't have at least 500 reviews and an average review score greater than 4.0 (out of 5). (It also helps to read some of the reviews as well.) 2. Never pay more than 20 USD for a course. If you adhere to these guidelines, I don't see how you can go wrong. Where else are you going to get a good to great course for less than the price of a book?

Get expert buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I have completed multiple courses so far, and have been so informed as to the content of each course. A lot of folks on here are giving Udemy a 1 star review for the fact that they have had issues obtaining a discount. I have received discounts with all of my courses, with no problem at all. I do notice that it is indeed easier to sign up for and do the coursework on my Mac, not my phone. So happy that I found this great platform with wonderful educators! Thank you Udemy!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

The courses are very simple and up to the expectations at very cheap prices... Beginner to advanced...all the level courses are available..so that you can choose one from them. You can't learn everything to the very advanced level...but they could give some basic ideas about that particular course.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have taken several courses (about 6 or 7) and have found the instructors to be professional and knowledgeable. The content has been engaging and cause reflection and opportunities to practice. I would recommend the life coaching courses for the instructors I have enrolled with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Udemy?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Many of my coworkers choose to use Udemy for continuing education. I feel it has the best selection, training and curriculum vs others I have tried. Yes, the courses may be longer than others, but they're more detailed.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

A few days ago I tried to change my email address at Udemy. Their form required me to change my password also, didn't want to... but I did it. However, Udemy NEVER recognized the changes, and now I can't get access to my account. Udemy is the only online company I have ever dealt with that has no human support service at all. They do not have a contact form, a phone number or online chat. Their address is: Udemy, 600 Harrison St., San Francisco, CA 94107. At this point I have no option but to have my lawyer send them a letter.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Whenever a course is purchased it says it will be available for lifetime. Later on when Udemy doesn't like the course they just remove it without any notice. When you go back to the course, a message will be shown saying the course is removed and they are sorry for the inconvenience. Making to go through all the process of having to get a refund then finding another course again which you might like, with no certainty that it will be available next time you visit.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

My account was locked as I forgot my password. I wrote to Udemy and they asked me to verify by taking a video claiming that I, as an instructor, have the ownership of the courses. I explained that I am not an instructor and I should not do this verification. I only purchased courses to study. I requested to speak to a person on the phone instead of writing emails, but it was refused. I asked whether I am writing to a robot or a human and they never replied. I paid for the courses and I can not access to my products. The service at Udemy is extremely bad.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I had dealt with Udemy in the past and, after being assured they had ironed out the bugs in their log-in and customer support pages, I decided to try them again. That was my second and last time that I will waste my time with this outfit since they seem much more interested in taking your money than providing the services they promise. Try YouTube: the quality of instruction is just as good and it doesn't cost you a thing.

Udemy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Udemy offers classes in virtually every subject imaginable, all available at any time. Their goal is to make education accessible and convenient.

• Plentiful class options: They offer more than 20,000 different courses covering everything from yoga to programming.

• Affordable pricing: Each class is affordable, and most cost less than $50.

• Pay as you go: Instead of racking up thousands in student debt, Udemy has a pay-as-you-go model that works with most budgets.

• Expert instructors: Every course is developed and led by experts in the field.

• Mobile access: The Udemy apps brings courses to you on the go. If you have a few minutes during the morning commute, catch a video or lecture.

• Best for: Professionals, stay-at-home moms and students on a budget.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Udemy questions and answers

What sets your company apart from the competition?
      Our mission is to help anyone learn anything. The Udemy story is fundamentally about transformation – of education, our jobs, our workplaces, the world around us, and ourselves – and our ability to actively shape our futures in the midst of massive change.
      What problem is Udemy trying to solve?
      Udemy’s online learning platform empowers individuals and companies to survive and thrive in a changing world. Udemy offers people everywhere the opportunity to advance their careers, change professions, develop their personal passions, or simply learn something new.
      What needs do your products and services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
      Udemy taps into the knowledge of experts around the world to help students and companies everywhere build valuable skills. We believe the knowledge of everyday experts should be shared. Instructors can even monetize their expertise by sharing their knowledge with the people who need it.

Additionally, Udemy for Business, our corporate learning platform, delivers employee training for high-growth companies and teams. We are the only corporate learning platform that gives customers access to existing cutting-edge content as well as the ability to easily create and share their own internal content.
      How does Udemy measure success?
      Udemy is successful when its students have learned what they set out to learn. We’re about helping people find skills for their personal and professional development: when our students succeed, we succeed.
      What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
      Just a short time ago, we were not even able to watch a video online. Now people all over the world are using online videos to learn valuable skills. The world of online education has the potential to change lives and is riding a wave of momentum that will last for several years to come.
      How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
      The online learning space was not around 10 years ago and has really gained momentum in the last few years.
      What is something you wish every consumer knew about Udemy?
      Online education makes skills development and training accessible to everyone. As more people embrace a lifelong learning mindset in order to remain competitive in today’s job market, we at Udemy see people across the world share their expertise and acquire new skills through online platforms like ours.
      How has your company grown or evolved?
      Udemy has experienced rapid growth since its founding in 2010. In 2014 alone, Udemy celebrated the enrollment of its 5 millionth student and added 6,000 new instructors. Company revenue increased 160 percent over the previous year, as well.

Also in 2014, Udemy tripled its employee count to 120 employees and moved into expanded headquarters in San Francisco’s SoMa district. Udemy opened our first European outpost in Dublin, Ireland. Additionally, we established Udemy Social Innovation, a program that helps nonprofits create online courses to increase their impact. Udemy plans to expand its growing international presence in 2015.

Udemy Company Information