4.0/5 (90 ratings)

About Udemy

Udemy is an online learning platform with more than 100,000 video courses. Some courses are free, but all are relatively inexpensive. Students receive guidance from an experienced instructor and have lifetime access to any course. Courses are available in 65 languages. Topics include business, finance, development, information technology, design, music and fitness.

Pros

• Course variety
  • Lifetime access
  • Pay-per-course

Cons

• No academic credit
  • Can be pricey

Bottom Line

Udemy is a great option for people who want to build or enhance skills. It has a variety of courses with multiple learning styles and provides lifetime access.

Top Udemy Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Many of my coworkers choose to use Udemy for continuing education. I feel it has the best selection, training and curriculum vs others I have tried. Yes, the courses may be longer...

Verified

I'm in the middle of taking two different Udemy courses ... and both are excellent (IMHO). I know that some people have had bad experiences with Udemy courses ... So some are good...

What is Udemy?

Udemy is an online learning platform for students and professionals. Udemy has more than 50 million students and 57,000 instructors who teach courses in over 65 languages. The company has more than 100,000 online courses available on desktops, laptops and mobile devices through its Android and iOS apps. Users can study any topic at any time, and every course purchase includes lifetime access to the classes.

Popular course categories on Udemy include:

• Development
  • Business
  • IT and software
  • Design
  • Marketing
  • Personal development
  • Photography
  • Music

You can answer a few quick questions, including what topics you’re curious about and how familiar you are with specific subjects, to receive personalized course recommendations.

Udemy courses are taught by video, audio or text. Course features vary by platform but can include quizzes, closed captions, bookmarks, reviews and instructor announcements.

When you complete a paid Udemy course, you receive a certificate of completion. Because Udemy is not an accredited institution, the certificate only demonstrates your skills and achievements to employers, family members or friends.

Udemy for Business is a popular option for employee learning. All Udemy for Business clients receive unlimited access to the 4,000 most popular courses and fresh content from more than 1,500 experts and real-world practitioners.

Udemy prices

Some popular online learning platforms feature a membership system, but Udemy is a pay-per-course service. Courses on Udemy range from $9 to $300, and the company frequently hosts sales.

Udemy accepts international debit and credit cards, PayPal and bank transfers. The company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Udemy FAQ

Is Udemy accredited?
Udemy is not an accredited institution. Each completed Udemy course includes a certificate, but the certificate can’t be used to seek formal accreditation.
Are Udemy courses legitimate?
Udemy is a legitimate company. Courses are designed to help you learn or enhance a particular skill. Every student who completes a course receives a certification of completion, though it cannot be used to receive formal accreditation for continuing education units or coursework.
Why is Udemy so cheap?
Udemy courses are priced based on the market, though the company does host sales and sometimes an instructor offers discounts to increase sale volume.
How long are Udemy courses?
Every course has a specific duration associated with it. Once the course is purchased, the consumer has lifetime access to their selected courses.

Do we recommend Udemy?

Udemy offers free and paid always-accessible instructional courses on a variety of topics for professionals and students. If you want to learn a new skill or develop a current one, Udemy is a great option for learning. Though some of its programs can be pricey, the site offers several economical and free instructional courses. We recommend Udemy for its varied assortment of coursework, simple payment structure and lifetime access.

Udemy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Udemy?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

This is one of the good websites where a person can learn from any domain and any field at a very affordable costs..... This is useful and beneficial for the both tutors and the students who are learning from it... Thanks Udemy...

Original review: May 11, 2021

During lockdown, after losing all my music jobs, I started looking to do some formal online learning. Udemy offered many courses, some as low as $12.99, which made it easy on the wallet. I've taken a number of courses in orchestration, composition, MIDI programming, etc. and while I like some more than others (personal preference as to teaching styles), *all* of them were informative, well presented and the lecturers clearly understood their subject matter. The great thing about Udemy, is, if there's a course that is more costly (i.e. $99), just wait and chances are it will be $12-20 before long. They are constantly having sales. Udemy saved my sanity this year at a very reasonable cost, and taught me quite a bit during the process. Two thumbs up!

Get buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I was absolutely shocked to see that Udemy had such bad reviews! I am 15, and I started using Udemy because I wanted to learn Unity, (a game engine) and purchased 4 courses on the subject. The first one I started was the ultimate guide to unity. I am only about halfway into it, and I am VERY pleased! the videos are very high quality, and the courses have a note-making system that I find extremely useful! I cannot say anything about the other courses I purchased, but I believe they will be the same.

The one issue I had was with purchasing the courses... when I tried to purchase a course, it would tell me there was an error and that I should try again. However, I contacted Udemy about this and got two automated replies saying my question had been received, and that they would reply to me as soon as possible. Very soon, a Udemy employee sent me a message saying she had looked into the problem and tried to help me. I was very pleased with the quick response and the helpfulness of the email.

Original review: March 6, 2021

I come across this learning platform This course is good for the whom are entering in the finance, Perfect skill trainer they have and make this course perfect. I will highly recommend for the those who are entering in finance.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Utilized a trial account, forgot to cancel and didn't use services. Was refused a refund. Contacted support and got a copy paste answer. Have used Udemy a lot in the past but won't anymore unless they get some common sense.

Original review: July 7, 2021

Udemy has changed its refund policy of late. It is not refunding the amount immediately and say it is violation of policy. You will not get response even if you request explanation. Best policy is read the course details, read social forums, understand the feedback of the course designer. Make a choice. There are lot of alternatives like LinkedIn Learning, Coursera, edX, Skillshare, pluralsight, Frontend Masters, YouTube education sites, 2U, DataCamp, DataPro and many of them. Do proper research and do not take it from Company words be it Udemy or Coursera. I realized it after I had very bad experience with Udemy.

Original review: June 10, 2021

Purchased a Business Intelligence Analyst Course 2021. I bought it on sale for $14.99. It was convoluted, terribly confusing and I was listening to lectures two and three times without understanding it. So, I applied for a refund, which they denied because I was still taking the course, but it had been past 30 days. I think it's ridiculous that they refuse to issue a refund. I bought the course 30 days prior on sale but didn't begin the course until a week and a half ago. I had another course in my Udemy cart for $165 which I took out because I think their customer service and policy is ridiculous. I'm going to take online classes from one of the many other companies out there from now on.

Original review: April 22, 2021

The company has a rudimentary algorithm from what I researched that appears to favor people that are earning them more money, the issue with this is the older teachers who were around longer appear to get much more attention than an instructor that is more educated or more qualified and brand new, from what I can see any new instructor on the platform does not have a shot in hell of growing because of their limited growth since they no longer appear to heavily market and instead have the nerve to ask the creators to market. If their favorite creator reports a competitor Udemy will automatically side with the favorite creator who is filling their greedy pockets. Furthermore, the classes I have taken are made by young students that have no certifications nor degrees to back their teaching.

For example Simon ** claims to be an expert in real estate investing however he is teaching people to illegally break landlord leases and sublease units in buildings and offer short term rentals, yet I was just fined $4000 dollars by my city for doing what Simon ** taught me to do and the judge claimed it was illegal, I reported this to Udemy and they still have his videos up because so many people are buying it and in the end Udemy is illegally teaching people how to invest in real estate, right now I am looking into a lawyer to see if I can sue Udemy and Simon ** for fraud and misrepresentation or conspiracy to defraud a student.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

Hi Friends, I'm sharing my very worst experience with Udemy Trust & Safety as well Copyrights Team... I wanted to do preparation for RPA courses and enrolled to 3 Instructors courses. One of the Instructor (A) courses are very famous and most reliable which recommended by my friend. Other instructor (B) was newbie however I enrolled to his course based on reviews (Fake/Paid) on the course. When I finished 1st instructor (A) course (completed practicing all questions in mock tests) I started to practice question on other instructor course and I truly shocked b'coz same questions, contents I found which I already practiced on 1st Instructor course (A). Means this guy has copied Instructor (A) entire course including questions, images, explanation as well descriptions too.

I rated one star with the honest feedback (This guy has copied ....bla bla) and got refund as well report his course to Udemy Trust and Safety for Udemy copyright policy violation. I thought Udemy will banned this guy and removed his course but regret No any Action taken by Udemy against his course even my review also not displayed on his course landing page. (Might be some of the Udemy people getting undertable money from this types of guys).

So I understand that there is no any meaning of Copyrights for Udemy as well no any meaning of instructor course privacy too. Anyone can create exam preparation courses by copying others contents and make money. Udemy Trust & Safely, Copyrights and Instructor Support teams are a big joke and damn jack** too. So, if you are planning to create course on Udemy, please think thousands time prior to publish. Udemy is a untrustworthy, unreliable and most cheater company who only works for their money. Money is everything for them NOT any Instructor or his/her privacy.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Purchases class and then requested refund approximately five minutes later on the same day. Got receipts and they still kept money. Had to get CC to refund. The End. Never use them ever again for life.

Udemy Company Information