2.12/5
Based on 41 reviews that contain star ratings

41 Udemy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The other day while on a call I noticed several emails from Udemy. Upon reading these emails I found that my account had excessive charges made to it using credit cards on file with Udemy. I logged into my account, removed the credit cards, and as I was going to change my password I was kicked out of my profile. I received an email stating that my email address was changed, not to validate the change but that it was changed. Nice. So in the interim I called my credit card companies, made fraud claims with them regarding the charges, went back and opened support incidents with Udemy. This morning I received an email asking for a screenshot of the notice of email change and they also wanted "the last four of the credit cards, how my name appears, and the expiry date.

"Who the hell asks for an expiry date, a bit unprofessional." I respond with the screenshot but I refuse to divulge the other information. The amount was also in excess of $1300 that was charged. I have not heard anything back from Udemy. Also there is no phone number to call, what the hell is going on here, can't find any public information about this company, nothing. Also with most online retailers that you have a credit card saved with their website, on purchases they will ask you to verify the 3 or four number code associated with the card, guess Udemy doesn't do that. I have not heard any thing back from them since my first reply to their request. Next stop the BBB.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I am surprised to read bad experiences about Udemy. I've found it 2 weeks ago through an internet research. I bought a few courses and some others for free. I had a direct access with immediate possibility to start any courses. The free ones are not so good and were for me unuseful... I bought it to trust my own knowledges... one of the non-native English trainer is awful... but the course was for free.... so whatever!

I just finished one course I bought and I am completely happy with that! The trainer was clear, I had a lot of documents to download in order to complete the course. Some documents sum up info, some others are extra information. So TOP! I am happy with the quite quick interraction with the other students and trainers. UDEMY is the 3rd "Academy" for online courses I connect. And I like it! Of course the certification you obtain at the end is not an recocgnized certification, but the courses I bought are anyway not knowledge that are certified. If I subscribe for the same in another school saying "Certification" it is anyway not recognized and I will pay a huge more amount of money. So for me, UDEMY is OK. I am used to learn by myself. I am excited to continue with the other courses I bought.

Get expert buying tips about Online Course Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I am not able to login to my Udemy account. Actually my Gmail account was hacked and I have successfully recovered my account. But Udemy has blocked the account. After going through my mails I came to know that Udemy has disconnected my account for some credits. I see some Udemy credits which were not asked by me. I gave proper reason, but still Udemy is not unblocking my account!!! There is no reply from the Udemy support, they just close the ticket without any answer.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I cannot access a course (Project+) on Udemy that I had paid for last month because I deleted Facebook. You cannot reach these people unless you log in! They are a ripoff and will take your money and give you nothing!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

The course I bought, I later found on YouTube for free. It turns out that someone has stolen the content and faked their identity as the instructor. Reported this to Udemy and wanted my money back, got no response. Not only they allow stolen content on their platform and charge money for it, they refuse to do anything about it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Udemy?

Original review: June 21, 2018

A prime example of customer abuse for money. I've used this platform as an instructor and to see what my competitors are doing I've used it as a customer. Udemy keeps the courses locked, and take a lot of money from the courses I SELL. They only care about money & never responds to the tickets I leave. I've successfully taught on Udemy for sometime, but do not want to do any more business with this company for now. I'm moving my courses to other platforms, even YouTube allows medium sized instructors to make more from ads. This platform was without competition for too long, they don't care about the customers anymore because they're big. Their competitors like BitDegree or Khan Academy are closing the gap fast, and offering better courses for lower price. And treat their instructors better!

Original review: June 20, 2018

I purchased this course (Become a great singer, Your complete Vocal Training System) and paid the £19.99 by PayPal. I have not had a receipt from Udemy, no course materials and no response to my emails from their support department. I would not recommend them and would like to (a) register a complaint about Udemy; (b) appreciate guidance on obtaining a refund of my £19.99. Thanks.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have purchased a number of courses all on Trading. Some were real good, some fair, and a few just bad. I have paid for all of them based on the idea that they are in my account forever. This is like 2 dozen courses. $ from $10 to $50! Out of the blue my account is empty. They have no phone number, they do not read the emails I send as they never get to the condition. I cannot tell them all of the names of the courses I purchased. Now they want me to dig through the credit card statements to find the courses I purchased. This is beyond the pail. Do they really not have records? This is a horror of a way to treat a customer who on the bad course I did not ask for a refund. They do not care and no phone number allows them to dismiss you the customer at their will. I am going to post everywhere I can to stop these horror of humans if they are real people.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have purchased a course on 13 June 2018 from Udemy app via netbanking but I have neither got the course nor the money I have spent on it. The INB Times of Money Limited reference no is **. The name of the course is Tally ERP Basic with GST in Hindi.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I am an instructor for the course and have put in hours upon hours of work preparing and making the course in addition to the 5 hour course that is up on Udemy now. Everything is great, but I seemed to notice that some of the amazing reviews I got a few days ago would suddenly disappear. I contacted support to find out what happened and was informed that these reviews were removed because they were 'marked as spam'.

I'm talking about REAL, GENUINE reviews that were very very good and shared experience of my course with other students. When asking if they could just be human and SEE for themselves that the review is legitimate, they said they can't and it depends fully on their bot and will take that into account for next time. Because of that, I missed some amazing reviews because these 'people' that work here are also 'bots'. Very disappointed that they would remove the good reviews and no one to speak with.

Original review: June 2, 2018

It takes longer and longer, to access the courses, I have paid for. Udemy claims you have access to courses. But after 6 months they do not want me to access them. As the time to download courses, takes forever. Unacceptable.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Trying to report an issue with a course. Instead Udemy's crappy support forces you to use standard answers which just pisses you off more that they don't vet their course materials and then treat customers like friggin idiots. Somebody ought to catch their senior management in a dark alley... and explain to them what it means to support their client base. POS's!

Original review: March 31, 2018

So I am a Udemy instructor and was creating my first course. After 3-4 months of painstaking work and over 4.5 hours of video content I had a smile on my face as I pressed that "Submit for review" button. After clicking that button it asked me to verify my address so I put my address and it used this third party verification service and I was then told they failed to verify my identity. So obviously this third party service does not have a record of me on file. I am very cautious who I give my information to so it makes sense why this third party company would not be aware of me.

Anyway now I Have been given until 6th of April to prove I own the rights to my own course and verify my identity. I am very annoyed that Udemy would rely on this unreliable source and assume they would know where I live. If I fail to verify my identity by 6th of April my account is closed and course content deleted. I am very worried that all my content will be deleted and I just hope that the verification process is successful. All this work may have been for nothing. Shame on Udemy for not telling me about this ** process at the start.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Udemy is a classic example of corporate greed. I have taken courses and produced one. So I have seen the platform from different perspectives. The initial intention of the platform has been lost in a sea of greed. Numbers are their only concern, as Udemy only cares about data and money. They offer outrageous discounts which devalue the course value. They allow people to give a review of a course after 10 minutes of content. They have made instructors so stressed about reviews and registrations, that there is no point in focusing on quality content and developing the learning experience.

Unfortunately, the learners are not getting the best material because there is no real incentive to put together quality content. So everybody loses because Udemy just wants a bunch of students enrolled and data. The platform was probably meaningful when it began. But scaling up and expanding became the priority, so now it is no longer a fun learning environment.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I understand you can not get a refund of courses past 30 days but of courses you never used or touched. You should be able to exchange or as they call it credits.

None was offered to me both times I spoke to their support. It's only chat so believe you can't talk to a live human ever because of its all offshore handling per usual. They are all called Francisco for whatever reason. NO HELP and lastly the guy called me a sir the second time around. I am a woman. Blatant disregard for their own product and no service. Don't buy unless you know and are able to figure out in 30 days!

Original review: March 10, 2018

I purchased a course using iOS app and first they charged me more than what was listed on site. When I contacted them, they refunded me extra as Udemy credit which I have to use within 6 months. And then few days later they charged me again for $5 more than the initial costing. So basically I paid twice for same course and that too more than listed price. I am not sure what’s going on. If the system is broken, they should refund the amount on CC they charged to and not in Udemy credit. I strongly suggest DON'T use their app. That’s crap. A learning site whose app is broken. I used to be a big fan of this site but I am sure I am NOT going to use them or refer them to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

You should never tried them with your personal and credit card information. They don't care about their customers or their information. I had been using the service for almost one year. Initially purchased more than 10 courses. One fine day, my account was suspended and when I inquired about it - they terminated it. I asked for reason and I was just provided a link to policy with no reference to offence.

The only way I could contact was through a trashy chat window where a person with fake names would keep reading the stupid script. I was told that the reason couldn't be disclosed and when I asked for my refund for the courses I was told that the courses were gone. It is disgusting how they think they can fool the customer. My concern was what if someone misused my account on their system and my personal information was compromised. They don't even have decency to alert me or let me know the reason why the account was terminated. I will never do business with them and would advise others to also stay away from them!!!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I purchased a course at Udemy.com for a very inexpensive price. I didn't stop to check where the company was based before I gave them my debit card information. I was overcharged substantially!! I looked to see that Udemy was founded in Turkey (I'm in the USA) and nearly panicked that I had given my bank info to them. I contacted them through instant chat and they immediately apologized, took responsibility and immediately issued a refund that showed in my Chase account within 24 hours. (Better than some American companies...) Anyways, I'm now using my course that I am really enjoying. It is very professional and well done by the teacher (Rich **). He is gifted and patient - able to teach. I felt so relieved I wanted to write them a review letting people know they seem to be a trustworthy business. Thanks for great customer service Udemy.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

This course is WONDERFUL! Just what I needed. I do have one issue, however. I am having a great deal of difficulty understanding the instructor. His accent to me makes it difficult to comprehend all the terms. I'm getting used to it now but I could use it a bit clearer.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I have completed 4 courses on Udemy. I have two concerns, one, is the false advertising saying courses are on special for set period of time: this is not true. This just reruns with the clock count down, all of the time. It is designed to make you buy courses. The second is that some instructors will answer question and some just never do. A case in point is an instructor Melanie who runs a course How To Sell Your Art Online With Etsy. After several attempts, I contacted Udemy who had this to say, "Unfortunately, every once in a while, an instructor will publish a course but not return to the course often, or immediately respond to messages from students. While we encourage instructors to stay engaged with their students, ultimately, we don't have control over responsiveness."

Udemy is a neutral marketplace for instructors and students, which means that instructors are responsible for the content they provide. That is just not good enough. I recommend you try to check the reviews on Udemy before you purchase any course. I paid with PayPal and will take a refund. It is not the money but the rudeness and "don't give a hand, we have your money" attitude that infuriates me.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

They don't listen to instructors and they will make you feel bad. Alex is the worst person I have come across, he works in the Customer Experience. This guys has zero understanding. I am a seasoned instructor, one of the student started behaving weirdly and use abusive words. I replied to him with smiley and same to you and reported this issue to Udemy policy team. This guys restricted my account and took messaging capabilities and promotion capabilities from me. I tried to tell him multiple times and the fact is he also had access to all the conversation but these people never listen. Specially do not teach on this website. Experience is really bad. Do not waste your time.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Initially I was very happy with Udemy, but this changed dramatically after posting my first course. Out of the blue I was asked to "verify my identity". This is a very invasive and disturbing request (you enter very detailed private information into an unknown website, much like applying for a loan). I did as requested, but the verification process failed without explanation. Note that I didn't originally agree this validation process. Note also that I was new author with poor sales so the company had little to gain by this process.

I went through the alternate verification process (emailing them a video essentially claiming I was who I was) and received no response from Udemy. I asked repeatedly for an explanation and/or instructions, but received no response from Udemy. My course has been banned even though I've followed all the instructions given to me. I feel bullied and confused like I'd just experienced a traumatic mugging. If you're a new instructor, I'd avoid Udemy and consider one of many alternative companies.

Original review: May 17, 2017

The courses are great, however Udemy support is absolutely horrible which seems to be the norm within this industry. Contacted them on several occasions and it takes them over 24 hrs to respond and when they do, they never covers the issue, so it usually takes 3-4 days to resolve even the most simple of problems. I still have not got my issue resolved! They really need to get a grip on support for this company to flourish.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I purchased a course yesterday and one today. Both courses in the span of an hour disappeared from my "Courses" list. They were there an hour ago. And when reaching out to Udemy support their response time was estimated at 1-2 business days. I don't have time for this.

Original review: April 27, 2017

I bought a piano lessons on Udemy, thanks to a youtube advert. The course created seemed to be good, so I'm glad. However, I was surprised to find out there is a problem with playing back the tutorial videos on Udemy, at least for this particular course that I bought (I cannot play back the video lesson 1, whether I changed the browser, clear cookies, etc). I raised the issue to both the course tutors and the technical team. This is what they say.

Honestly, I was excited and could not wait to start my piano lessons, and now I realized I had to deal with this?? Not my interest at all. Isn't it supposed to be ready, available, tested, before it is sold to a customer like me??? After few days, I was trying to gather what I should do, they just CLOSED MY REQUEST without checking if I'm okay or not!!!

UNACCEPTED CUSTOMER SERVICE! Sold a faulty product (whether their fault, or the course creator's fault, but NOT My fault! I paid, and I Should be able to play the videos, once or twice as I'd like! It's a tutorial website, and that IS THE LEAST thing should be taken into account, right? Being able to play the videos few times so I can practice!!!) and then IGNORED the customer! SUCH A RIP OFF! I will NEVER BUY any course from this place again! Totally unacceptable!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I bought many courses on the promise that they were for lifetime. I was watching the Videos on my pace only to realize after a certain point of time that the course has been removed. On asking, they said it happens Once-in-a-while. I loved the course and it's really disappointing. I am not going to buy any of their courses again and I wish I could contest their decision in some court of law.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

These pigs closed my account after they set my course to no index and I told them fix it and they said they didn't touch it but they lied and then I said I will delete all my video and leave and they closed my account and did not even give me back my videos until I reported them to the BBB and soon they will get bad review on the BBB. They sent me my video after that but they sent it in Dropbox and I did not know it expires and I told them and after I reported them again they sent it again and it did not download. It was taking forever to download 20 hour long videos that took me a year to make! ** Udemy. They ** and they most or all courses are utter ** and you learn nothing. It's all false claims and titles that do not deliver in most cases!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2016

Udemy sent me an email offering a course for $10.00. When I purchased the course I was charged $49.00. They refused to refund me the difference between what they advertised the course for and what I was charged. In my opinion, any company that combines bait and switch tactics with poor customer service is a company that you want to avoid doing business.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

They had a lot of courses but to find them you had to do a Google search for them. But they had a great variety of courses to choose from. I found it so confusing I stopped using it. I would recommend them fixing the site to have more subscribers because I know others feel the same way but not saying it. They are trying to educate the people which is a good thing. With knowledge comes power so that's a must. So I give them a plus for trying to help out.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

There are many selections you can take. I took a coding course in HTML. They have all different levels of difficulty so it's great for all levels of experience. They taught very well in a way that was easy to understand. They were very experienced in their area. They answered my questions when I had them. The instructor was very helpful. They helped with any questions I had and the language of the program was in common language. The value was exceptional because it was a quality course for a fairly cheap price that would be expensive in person.

Udemy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Udemy offers classes in virtually every subject imaginable, all available at any time. Their goal is to make education accessible and convenient.

• Plentiful class options: They offer more than 20,000 different courses covering everything from yoga to programming.

• Affordable pricing: Each class is affordable, and most cost less than $50.

• Pay as you go: Instead of racking up thousands in student debt, Udemy has a pay-as-you-go model that works with most budgets.

• Expert instructors: Every course is developed and led by experts in the field.

• Mobile access: The Udemy apps brings courses to you on the go. If you have a few minutes during the morning commute, catch a video or lecture.

• Best for: Professionals, stay-at-home moms and students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Udemy questions and answers

What sets your company apart from the competition?
Our mission is to help anyone learn anything. The Udemy story is fundamentally about transformation – of education, our jobs, our workplaces, the world around us, and ourselves – and our ability to actively shape our futures in the midst of massive change.
What problem is Udemy trying to solve?
Udemy’s online learning platform empowers individuals and companies to survive and thrive in a changing world. Udemy offers people everywhere the opportunity to advance their careers, change professions, develop their personal passions, or simply learn something new.
What needs do your products and services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Udemy taps into the knowledge of experts around the world to help students and companies everywhere build valuable skills. We believe the knowledge of everyday experts should be shared. Instructors can even monetize their expertise by sharing their knowledge with the people who need it.

Additionally, Udemy for Business, our corporate learning platform, delivers employee training for high-growth companies and teams. We are the only corporate learning platform that gives customers access to existing cutting-edge content as well as the ability to easily create and share their own internal content.
How does Udemy measure success?
Udemy is successful when its students have learned what they set out to learn. We’re about helping people find skills for their personal and professional development: when our students succeed, we succeed.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Just a short time ago, we were not even able to watch a video online. Now people all over the world are using online videos to learn valuable skills. The world of online education has the potential to change lives and is riding a wave of momentum that will last for several years to come.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
The online learning space was not around 10 years ago and has really gained momentum in the last few years.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Udemy?
Online education makes skills development and training accessible to everyone. As more people embrace a lifelong learning mindset in order to remain competitive in today’s job market, we at Udemy see people across the world share their expertise and acquire new skills through online platforms like ours.
How has your company grown or evolved?
Udemy has experienced rapid growth since its founding in 2010. In 2014 alone, Udemy celebrated the enrollment of its 5 millionth student and added 6,000 new instructors. Company revenue increased 160 percent over the previous year, as well.

Also in 2014, Udemy tripled its employee count to 120 employees and moved into expanded headquarters in San Francisco’s SoMa district. Udemy opened our first European outpost in Dublin, Ireland. Additionally, we established Udemy Social Innovation, a program that helps nonprofits create online courses to increase their impact. Udemy plans to expand its growing international presence in 2015.

Udemy Company Information