Online learning at it's best

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

80 Udemy Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

The courses are a joke. If you are broke don't go more broke by letting them suck a couple hundred bucks out of you. By far the worst course I have used is the C++ for absolute beginners. This is a total load of crap. The instruction is rushed. The education is extremely light and incomplete except for a general sprinkling of what is in the lesson plan of the moment, and the instructor is just barely there for you. This particular course is NOT for beginners and the line that it is, is an outright lie. That should give you some food for thought of the vetting process that they go through over there. NEVER UDEMY should be your motto.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

Have enrolled in SAP FICO and the lecturer is not to my expectation. The video finished before due as if the lecture is in a hurry to take a train. When you finished the study you are supposed to received a certificate and still have to chase for it. Do not enroll with Jittesh **.

Get expert buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I have completed multiple courses so far, and have been so informed as to the content of each course. A lot of folks on here are giving Udemy a 1 star review for the fact that they have had issues obtaining a discount. I have received discounts with all of my courses, with no problem at all. I do notice that it is indeed easier to sign up for and do the coursework on my Mac, not my phone. So happy that I found this great platform with wonderful educators! Thank you Udemy!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I looked up some courses and added a few to my cart at $10.44 each. When I go to check out, the price is good, but as soon as I log in, the price goes up significantly. There is no way to contact Udemy. When I go to their Facebook page, there is a button to message them, but as soon as I log into Facebook, that button disappears. They've gone to great lengths to hide from the public. This is worrisome, and obviously points to some type of scam.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

They give you a discount and then when you log in they raise the price 2X and recently they started charging money even for free courses, you see a free course and you try to enroll, they immediately change it and put a price tag on it. Thieves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Udemy?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

The courses are very simple and up to the expectations at very cheap prices... Beginner to advanced...all the level courses are available..so that you can choose one from them. You can't learn everything to the very advanced level...but they could give some basic ideas about that particular course.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I've bought three courses so far: Modern Python Bootcamp and SQL Bootcamp by Colt Steele as well as Python for Data Science and Machine learning by Jose Portilla. These 3 courses are incredibly detailed, beautifully made, and amazing for a beginner like myself. I got them all for about $10 each. These courses are worth a lot more than that for the amount of quality content and over 20 hours of video. I'm surprised these guys release their content this cheap every now and then. Nevertheless, bottomline, I can speak for these instructors and their content. They are professionals and excellent teachers. I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase and feel lucky I found these guys' courses.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I only bought two courses so far and am halfway through one of them. So far everything is working great. The instructor is good, the material is useful and most importantly I am progressing quickly. For this particular course, the value was very good (looking at money spent per hour of content) and I will probably buy other courses in the future. What I don't like are the ludicrous "90% Off" discounts on what I hope are completely overblown list prices. In addition they try to push you to buy with the common "only X hours left" stuff. Just put the real prices and maybe do a real 10% sale from time to time.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I have had no problems at all with this company. What the company say and is very legit. I had problems at the beginning but was able sort it by sending a fault through the website in the contact area. I have 4 products in my vault that I use. It is in pdf and video form. I hope this helps others.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

The E-Color learnings and online course was easy to navigate and I could come and go at times that suited me and my schedule. The presentation and content was great with ease of use, with the contestant temperature checks to ensure that you understand the content before moving forward. This is definitely well worth it.

Udemy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Udemy offers classes in virtually every subject imaginable, all available at any time. Their goal is to make education accessible and convenient.

• Plentiful class options: They offer more than 20,000 different courses covering everything from yoga to programming.

• Affordable pricing: Each class is affordable, and most cost less than $50.

• Pay as you go: Instead of racking up thousands in student debt, Udemy has a pay-as-you-go model that works with most budgets.

• Expert instructors: Every course is developed and led by experts in the field.

• Mobile access: The Udemy apps brings courses to you on the go. If you have a few minutes during the morning commute, catch a video or lecture.

• Best for: Professionals, stay-at-home moms and students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Udemy questions and answers

What sets your company apart from the competition?
Our mission is to help anyone learn anything. The Udemy story is fundamentally about transformation – of education, our jobs, our workplaces, the world around us, and ourselves – and our ability to actively shape our futures in the midst of massive change.
What problem is Udemy trying to solve?
Udemy’s online learning platform empowers individuals and companies to survive and thrive in a changing world. Udemy offers people everywhere the opportunity to advance their careers, change professions, develop their personal passions, or simply learn something new.
What needs do your products and services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Udemy taps into the knowledge of experts around the world to help students and companies everywhere build valuable skills. We believe the knowledge of everyday experts should be shared. Instructors can even monetize their expertise by sharing their knowledge with the people who need it.

Additionally, Udemy for Business, our corporate learning platform, delivers employee training for high-growth companies and teams. We are the only corporate learning platform that gives customers access to existing cutting-edge content as well as the ability to easily create and share their own internal content.
How does Udemy measure success?
Udemy is successful when its students have learned what they set out to learn. We’re about helping people find skills for their personal and professional development: when our students succeed, we succeed.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Just a short time ago, we were not even able to watch a video online. Now people all over the world are using online videos to learn valuable skills. The world of online education has the potential to change lives and is riding a wave of momentum that will last for several years to come.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
The online learning space was not around 10 years ago and has really gained momentum in the last few years.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Udemy?
Online education makes skills development and training accessible to everyone. As more people embrace a lifelong learning mindset in order to remain competitive in today’s job market, we at Udemy see people across the world share their expertise and acquire new skills through online platforms like ours.
How has your company grown or evolved?
Udemy has experienced rapid growth since its founding in 2010. In 2014 alone, Udemy celebrated the enrollment of its 5 millionth student and added 6,000 new instructors. Company revenue increased 160 percent over the previous year, as well.

Also in 2014, Udemy tripled its employee count to 120 employees and moved into expanded headquarters in San Francisco’s SoMa district. Udemy opened our first European outpost in Dublin, Ireland. Additionally, we established Udemy Social Innovation, a program that helps nonprofits create online courses to increase their impact. Udemy plans to expand its growing international presence in 2015.

Udemy Company Information