Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.04/5

Udemy is an online learning platform with more than 100,000 video courses. Some courses are free, but all are relatively inexpensive. Students receive guidance from an experienced instructor and have lifetime access to any course. Courses are available in 65 languages. Topics include business, finance, development, information technology, design, music and fitness.

BOTTOM LINE

Udemy is a great option for people who want to build or enhance skills. It has a variety of courses with multiple learning styles and provides lifetime access.

PROS

• Course variety
  • Lifetime access
  • Pay-per-course

CONS

• No academic credit
  • Can be pricey

Top Udemy Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Udemy?

Many of my coworkers choose to use Udemy for continuing education. I feel it has the best selection, training and curriculum vs others I have tried. Yes, the courses may be longer than others, but they're more detailed.

I'm in the middle of taking two different Udemy courses ... and both are excellent (IMHO). I know that some people have had bad experiences with Udemy courses ... So some are good and some not so good.

Unsubscribe at any time.

What is Udemy?

Udemy is an online learning platform for students and professionals. Udemy has more than 50 million students and 57,000 instructors who teach courses in over 65 languages. The company has more than 100,000 online courses available on desktops, laptops and mobile devices through its Android and iOS apps. Users can study any topic at any time, and every course purchase includes lifetime access to the classes.

Popular course categories on Udemy include:

• Development
    • Business
    • IT and software
    • Design
    • Marketing
    • Personal development
    • Photography
    • Music

You can answer a few quick questions, including what topics you’re curious about and how familiar you are with specific subjects, to receive personalized course recommendations.

Udemy courses are taught by video, audio or text. Course features vary by platform but can include quizzes, closed captions, bookmarks, reviews and instructor announcements.

When you complete a paid Udemy course, you receive a certificate of completion. Because Udemy is not an accredited institution, the certificate only demonstrates your skills and achievements to employers, family members or friends.

Udemy for Business is a popular option for employee learning. All Udemy for Business clients receive unlimited access to the 4,000 most popular courses and fresh content from more than 1,500 experts and real-world practitioners.

Udemy prices

Some popular online learning platforms feature a membership system, but Udemy is a pay-per-course service. Courses on Udemy range from $9 to $300, and the company frequently hosts sales.

Udemy accepts international debit and credit cards, PayPal and bank transfers. The company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Udemy FAQ

Is Udemy accredited?
    Udemy is not an accredited institution. Each completed Udemy course includes a certificate, but the certificate can’t be used to seek formal accreditation.
    Are Udemy courses legitimate?
    Udemy is a legitimate company. Courses are designed to help you learn or enhance a particular skill. Every student who completes a course receives a certification of completion, though it cannot be used to receive formal accreditation for continuing education units or coursework.
    Why is Udemy so cheap?
    Udemy courses are priced based on the market, though the company does host sales and sometimes an instructor offers discounts to increase sale volume.
    How long are Udemy courses?
    Every course has a specific duration associated with it. Once the course is purchased, the consumer has lifetime access to their selected courses.

Do we recommend Udemy?

Udemy offers free and paid always-accessible instructional courses on a variety of topics for professionals and students. If you want to learn a new skill or develop a current one, Udemy is a great option for learning. Though some of its programs can be pricey, the site offers several economical and free instructional courses. We recommend Udemy for its varied assortment of coursework, simple payment structure and lifetime access.

Udemy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Udemy?

Original review: June 26, 2020

I have been a fan of Udemy for a long time and currently have over 85 courses in my account. I find the platform user friendly and you can contact the instructors no matter how long ago the course was posted.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I enjoyed learn the new skills for life coaching and health and wellness. It allowed me to learn about nutrition and ways to be healthy and help others. Learning from the instructor and the easy to follow step gave me motivation and wanting to learn more. I have taken 5 course so far and enjoyed all 5 learned a lot. Will return for more course materials for more learning experience soon.

Get buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

The bookkeeping courses were simple and had a good gradient. I didn't feel confused or lost at any time during the two first couress. The third course was QuickBooks and that got a bit complicated as there was some omitted steps that was not explained. On the other hand if you are going to be super specific the course would take over 100 hours. I figured it out and the explanations given by the instructor was otherwise detalied. When I emailed him he answered within 48 hours on the two first courses but hasn't answered anything on my third course so not sure what is up.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I'm in the middle of taking two different Udemy courses, Java Programming Masterclass and the Complete 2019 Web Development. I paid about about 15 USD for these courses and both are excellent (IMHO). I know that some people have had bad experiences with Udemy courses and I think that maybe because Udemy doesn't seem to be very good at setting the standards for courses they offer. So some are good and some not so good.

So I suggest that the best way to approach Udemy courses is two fold: 1. Don't buy any class that doesn't have at least 500 reviews and an average review score greater than 4.0 (out of 5). (It also helps to read some of the reviews as well.) 2. Never pay more than 20 USD for a course. If you adhere to these guidelines, I don't see how you can go wrong. Where else are you going to get a good to great course for less than the price of a book?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

After purchasing a long course I was DENIED A REFUND a day later. In order to find out if there was any information I could use, I had to click around a lot at 2x speed which disqualified me from a refund. There is NO CUSTOMER SERVICE so you cannot request a refund. These courses are not usually updated often even if the "updated on" date is recent. This means they could have updated only a tiny section of the entire course. Between not honoring their advertised refund policy, misrepresenting the updates, and allowing poor creators, I would look at almost any other course site. There is a reason their classes are so cheap - they're just Youtube videos you pay for.

Original review: July 7, 2020

I didn't find Udemy's interface friendly, I tried to open a course, it gave me features of another course, that didn't match with the course I am opening. Moreover, I got internet issues while opening the course. While, when I open a game or site, it opens quickly.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I took a course on 'writing with a flair'. The presenter claimed to be a Wall Street journalist. He keeps referring to- 'I can do this... The course will do this'... There was a lot of claim and no action. Was very disappointed. So I asked for a refund. I purchased this just before Covid. Due to Covid I had been unable to attend to this course until later. They now say, as it's past the 30 day period they won't refund. Very disappointed in the course and their policies.

Original review: April 13, 2020

Please please never ever buy Udemy, they are the worst. I bought subscription, no I cant cancel, they have no contact info. Fakers. Liars. Cheated with my adding on subscriptions and taken my money. 1 TRILLION UNLIKES, HATES, THESE ARE TOTALLY THE WORST.

Original review: March 21, 2020

Never trust Udemy. It is the most pathetic, unworthy and untrustful site. Here are the reasons:

1. I was preparing for Google Cloud certification and I purchased 3 courses from Udemy. All the 3 courses were removed one week before my certification exam. The refund does not happen automatically. We need to raise a request. The site is too bad and too confusing. So, we cannot rely on Udemy at all. The courses on Udemy are pathetically arranged and recorded. Prefer Coursera, LinuxAcademy or CloudAcademy as they provide a good quality courses.

2. Udemy cannot be trusted as your data is posted on other sites. My comments for a course could be seen on https://courses.javacodegeeks.com/ site of which I don't have account. When I contacted Udemy to remove the message, they mislead the students by saying that contact the instructor. When I contact the instructor the instructor says that "This is really strange and am not sure why and how it's happening. It had happened before as well. Seems these sites like javacodegeeks.com are being paid by udemy to promote these courses because when I click on enroll course on that page, it redirects it to Udemy."

3. There is no guarantee that Udemy will not sell your bank account to hackers if they can post your comments to other sites for publicity and misled the students.

In short, never use Udemy account. They are unreliable and their customer care sucks. Even if the course is offer free, don't register on Udemy. Most of the courses are time waste. Better prefer Coursera, LinuxAcademy or CloudAcademy as they are much safe and protect your privacy in terms of your comments, login details and account details.

Udemy Company Information