1.92/5

65 Udemy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2019

I just tried to a course from Udemy. I'm gonna break this down into two parts, one for Udemy itself, and the second for the course.

1) Udemy. I have just realized that Udemy itself is simply just a sharing/money channeling platform for online courses. There is obviously no quality control of the courses which get put up and evidently (having tried one course), it seems that anyone can create a course and upload it for resale. It's basically the same model for the different app store platforms just as Google Play, etc. This means that you cannot be sure of the quality of the course you are purchasing.

2) Courses. I tried one course, Microsoft SQL server 2019 by Taurius Litvinavicius. It was terrible. When the presenter talked through the setup options for installing SQL Server, he was basically just making it up as he went along, often just reading the descriptions of the each option with no proper explanation of what they were, and often choosing which options to keep/remove based on how much disk space they used because 'we might need that.' But again, without saying what it might be needed for. Later on, in a chapter about Security, the information was downright wrong. Finally, the English was overly casual, often bad, and the subtitles appeared to be machine generated and were massively inaccurate compounding on already bad English.

Note: I already have some hands-on experience with SQL Server and wanted to formalize and confirm my knowledge by taking a course. And I bought this course based on the assumption that someone who had written a course would naturally have better knowledge than me and would be able to fill in some gaps. NOT SO. It was evident that this 'instructor' had no formal training in SQL Server at all. It was also clear that he had not properly prepared this course, evident from the pauses and vagueness in talking through the install options as he obviously wasn't sure himself.

Summary. Based on this one experience, I will not be buying any more courses on Udemy. It is not the professional course-specialist entity that I thought it was, and in fact is far from it. Equally important is the fact that courses are being created by people who are obviously not professionals on the subject matter of the course(s) they create. These are amateurs leading amateurs, complete with inaccuracies and mistakes and disinformation, and ultimately wasting your precious time and money.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I wish I had read the reviews before purchasing the course "writing with flair, becoming an exceptional writer". I watched the free videos and felt this was what I needed. Paid for the course. Never received the material. What a ripoff!!!

Get expert buying tips about Online Learning Platforms delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I normally only write good reviews but Udemy has ripped me off. Have been buying courses since 2016 and now they changed my login without my permission and charged me for a course I did not order. All I get are computer generated replies that make no sense. No actual person will answer my email or fix the problem. There are no phone numbers to call etc. All the $$$s spent are wasted and they just kept the money without comment. Buyer beware. In my mind not a reputable company at all. I am not the first and certainly won't be the last!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have been very satisfied overall with course content on Udemy. Some instructors are simply outstanding. However, the platform on iOS devices is EXTREMELY buggy and inconsistent. I have always had problems with streaming content on iPad iOS 12 on 150 Gb connection. Should be no excuse. Udemy really needs to get it together. The instructors I have had contact with are equally frustrated and will likely start bailing in droves.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have been looking at Graphic Design courses on Udemy for a couple of days and the prices for the courses have skyrocketed from a few days ago. Opened the same page in incognito and prices are back to £11 from over £100. I know lots of sites lure you in this way and use cookies to changes prices for individual users but don't get caught out paying more than you need to.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Udemy?

Original review: March 2, 2019

This company has the worst instructional design I have ever seen. They don't explain how anything is done, and everything is based on mindless following of the instructors lesson. They teach to the rote level of learning. They claim a course is for beginners, but then don't explain the basics. 1/3 of my way into a course and I have been taught no basics of coding. Their support for students consists of a few know-it-all teachers who make one sentence comments to your questions and rarely even address the question you had. They always phrase it in a way that makes it sound like it is your fault.

Their app is horrible. Ironic for a company teaching people to make apps. I tried to download the videos and use them offline, but it kept crashing. They are fraudulent in their claim of review stars. When you start the course, the review is set at 5 stars automatically. If you do nothing, they still get 5 stars. You have to change it or they get 5 stars. If someone gets frustrated and leaves without changing, they get 5 stars. Completely unethical way to handle reviews.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

If you have the best content. What good does it do you? If you can't access it! Huge runaround digging through every email to determine what classes I registered for since early 2015. Before they would confirm there was an account. Days later still no access to my courses and only one customer service person that clearly is not qualified.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I've bought three courses so far: Modern Python Bootcamp and SQL Bootcamp by Colt Steele as well as Python for Data Science and Machine learning by Jose Portilla. These 3 courses are incredibly detailed, beautifully made, and amazing for a beginner like myself. I got them all for about $10 each. These courses are worth a lot more than that for the amount of quality content and over 20 hours of video. I'm surprised these guys release their content this cheap every now and then. Nevertheless, bottomline, I can speak for these instructors and their content. They are professionals and excellent teachers. I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase and feel lucky I found these guys' courses.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I only bought two courses so far and am halfway through one of them. So far everything is working great. The instructor is good, the material is useful and most importantly I am progressing quickly. For this particular course, the value was very good (looking at money spent per hour of content) and I will probably buy other courses in the future. What I don't like are the ludicrous "90% Off" discounts on what I hope are completely overblown list prices. In addition they try to push you to buy with the common "only X hours left" stuff. Just put the real prices and maybe do a real 10% sale from time to time.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I have had no problems at all with this company. What the company say and is very legit. I had problems at the beginning but was able sort it by sending a fault through the website in the contact area. I have 4 products in my vault that I use. It is in pdf and video form. I hope this helps others.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Paid $20 via credit card for Reiki Part 1 and 2, logged in, but unable to access course. No number to call to SPEAK TO A HUMAN BEING about this problem. Would it be so costly to pay someone minimum wage to answer a few calls? I will contest the charge with my credit card company.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Bought the course. Paid it. No history on purchase. Don't know where else to look to download info or password. Just gone. Did send an email to instructor but comes back unfound. Can somebody please tell me where to look and what to do. I am from South Africa and loved the above course. But just feel not getting anything and trust it is not a scam. Will have payment reversed tomorrow.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I bought from Udemy around 4 course long time ago. Today I going to buy 3 more courses, however the prices before I log in (New PC) was 14cad. But after I logged in the price jumped to 25CAD. Now, I canceled my purchase and will look into other sites. Below is a screenshot for the price before and after I logged in. https://imgur.com/a/8239DfQ.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Price was listed as US$29.99 and $19.99 with both discounted to US$10.99. Don't fall for this trap. Even at the discounted rate it equates to about $1.00 per minute of viewing time. I have since found other QGIS training courses on YouTube which are far more comprehensive and have no charge. I logged in to become an instructor to discover how payments are made- most of the funds go to the instructor according to the web-page but I have since discovered this is not true. This site is nothing but a money grabbing front. I will not be using them again and reading other comments will be checking my debit card for unauthorized deductions.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Half year ago I bought 4 courses on Udemy. During the past time, I was able to learn and had no issues with the site functionality whatsoever. About a week ago all of a sudden I was not able to enter the site so I tried to recover my password and clicked to send further instructions to my email address. But apparently Udemy had sort of a bug and the email wasn't sent. I tried several times and waited over 24 hours but nothing appeared in my inbox. Then obviously stupid idea came to my mind - I decided to synchronize my google account with Udemy since I used the same email for it. I thought that it will recover my access to all the courses. But output was opposite. All my courses deleted and the same thing happened to my purchase history.

Now I am fighting Udemy support struggling to get this problem resolved, over a week passed but there is still no adequate response from them. I provided all the required information, as transaction id's, confirmation emails from Google and Udemy but still we are going around in a circle with no result. I regret that I have decided to use their service. Their support is very low level and they don't care about their clients.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I've been purchasing and enjoying courses on Udemy for many years. Lately, it seems as if something is very amiss. A few weeks ago, I placed one course in my shopping cart then diverted to Paypal to pay for the purchase. Once the purchase had been completed, I realized that I had actually been charged for two courses when I never ordered a bundled product. Today, I placed a course in my shopping cart priced at $10.00. I began to start to pay when I realized that they were trying to charge me $14.99 and that's the last straw. I won't be back. Business must be bad for Udemy for them to be resorting to such shenanigans.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I purchased course from Udemy app on 12/12/2018. The bank account got debited but there were no history found in Udemy or in Google play or in DirecPay. I sent screenshot of my bank transaction, but no help from Udemy or DirecPay. My bank statement showing clearly payee name "DirecPay". I am from India and feeling helpless. My phone number is **. Anyone can help me pls.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I purchased a 2 bundle course from this company on Dec 3rd 2018. I did the transaction through PayPal... After 5 days of writing and responding to emails, I gotten nowhere. The customer service Dept. (if there really is one?) keeps requesting my particular issue which is paying for, but not receiving the courses requested. Basically, I've wasted time dealing with this company. They do not have a telephone number to speak to a representative. They only have emails that I've received seem to be auto-generated...but there is no clear solution here. In sum, I'm requesting a credit from PayPal and will look elsewhere from now on. PLEASE, don't waste your time.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I thought they were a good website at first. Took interest in a couple of courses I liked. One course was great. I Received a certificate and a discount voucher after I inquired about the course so they charge me £5.99. A month later I chose another course learning hypnosis and past life regression. The course was good in itself and again another certificate but no certificate was issued and an error so had to email support and when they sent the certificate it was not the same as the one in the download. This course cost me £9.99 and after you completed it you would receive a discount code for 75% off the next course. But when you choose the next course from the same lady doing the past life hypnosis the course price had gone up to £29.99 so you would still have to pay the same.

Then a couple of weeks later I logged back in to udemy.com Only to find that every course price had sky rocketed up to £59.99. I initially thought I was seeing things but my partner verified the price of nearly £60 pound was true. I even took screen shots on my tablet to contact the company to ask why they are being greedy. I went onto Google Play and downloaded their application and all their courses were £9.99 but when I logged in they were £59.99. I log back out and the price goes down. I left them some feedback on Google explaining this and they never replied to my feedback left for them on the Play Store.

People need to be very careful that they don't get sucked in by this rip off company. It clearly proves that they're out to try and con the people who buy their courses. There's no way of getting In Touch with the people who run this website. They don't care about their consumers but one thing I do know for sure is THEY'RE LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK. People need to be very careful when purchasing courses and double check the price because if Udemy think for one second you're going to pay they're going to hike up their prices hoping you click the buy now because once you press that pay now they take control of your funds in your bank and you won't get it back. I nearly fell prey to their con. Luckily I noticed the price increase and got a second opinion and had to let people know what Udemy had done so it doesn't happen to them.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Respected Dr. Junaid, Thank you very much to educate me. I really appreciate your Lectures also its belongs to the real world application. I will strong recommended to everyone follow respected Dr. Junaid.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I am not sure what kind of an education provider these people are, they are just in to churn up the volume and collect cash as quickly as possible than to improve user experience and customer satisfaction. They have awful administrative support and customer service. They have no phone contact, they don't correspond with people - they just want to collect money and you take your chances and send you emails to resolve issues like a robot (for all you know, it is a robot or a human imitation of one).

Udemy could have been a great platform and could be one of the best but they have turned this into a complete "quick and dirty" customer acquisition without paying any attention whatsoever to ensure customer satisfaction. I have had so many billing issues, refund issues, platform issues and on and on and there is not enough space to write all my grievances but lest be assured that at the current rate, this business won't survive and you are better off paying some other provider because I haven't seen any improvement since I have signed up on this more than a few years ago. Sadly, it has only deteriorated. Even if it costs a bit more, you are better off with another provider as I have lost hope in Udemy.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I had never heard of Udemy until today. I have a credit card I have **NEVER** used and noticed a close to $200 charge on it. Initially I thought it might be a renewal fee, but it wasn't a round number. If it had been a card I use, I probably wouldn't have noticed at all, but in 4 years, the only charges ever placed on this particular card were on 22 Oct 2018 - multiple charges in Euros. The website looks fake to me.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I am trying to purchase course from Udemy and I am unable to proceed through payment with any of my card, not even through Paypal account. They don't provide a contact number to contact them. I have raised a ticket and I am waiting for their response. No one contacted me till now. It's just wastage of time. I tried to resolve the payment error in all possible ways I can. But it is of no use. Whatever we try it simply says, "CONTACT UDEMY." Highly dissatisfied with my experience with Udemy.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

The E-Color learnings and online course was easy to navigate and I could come and go at times that suited me and my schedule. The presentation and content was great with ease of use, with the contestant temperature checks to ensure that you understand the content before moving forward. This is definitely well worth it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The other day while on a call I noticed several emails from Udemy. Upon reading these emails I found that my account had excessive charges made to it using credit cards on file with Udemy. I logged into my account, removed the credit cards, and as I was going to change my password I was kicked out of my profile. I received an email stating that my email address was changed, not to validate the change but that it was changed. Nice. So in the interim I called my credit card companies, made fraud claims with them regarding the charges, went back and opened support incidents with Udemy. This morning I received an email asking for a screenshot of the notice of email change and they also wanted "the last four of the credit cards, how my name appears, and the expiry date.

"Who the hell asks for an expiry date, a bit unprofessional." I respond with the screenshot but I refuse to divulge the other information. The amount was also in excess of $1300 that was charged. I have not heard anything back from Udemy. Also there is no phone number to call, what the hell is going on here, can't find any public information about this company, nothing. Also with most online retailers that you have a credit card saved with their website, on purchases they will ask you to verify the 3 or four number code associated with the card, guess Udemy doesn't do that. I have not heard any thing back from them since my first reply to their request. Next stop the BBB.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I am surprised to read bad experiences about Udemy. I've found it 2 weeks ago through an internet research. I bought a few courses and some others for free. I had a direct access with immediate possibility to start any courses. The free ones are not so good and were for me unuseful... I bought it to trust my own knowledges... one of the non-native English trainer is awful... but the course was for free.... so whatever!

I just finished one course I bought and I am completely happy with that! The trainer was clear, I had a lot of documents to download in order to complete the course. Some documents sum up info, some others are extra information. So TOP! I am happy with the quite quick interraction with the other students and trainers. UDEMY is the 3rd "Academy" for online courses I connect. And I like it! Of course the certification you obtain at the end is not an recocgnized certification, but the courses I bought are anyway not knowledge that are certified. If I subscribe for the same in another school saying "Certification" it is anyway not recognized and I will pay a huge more amount of money. So for me, UDEMY is OK. I am used to learn by myself. I am excited to continue with the other courses I bought.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I am not able to login to my Udemy account. Actually my Gmail account was hacked and I have successfully recovered my account. But Udemy has blocked the account. After going through my mails I came to know that Udemy has disconnected my account for some credits. I see some Udemy credits which were not asked by me. I gave proper reason, but still Udemy is not unblocking my account!!! There is no reply from the Udemy support, they just close the ticket without any answer.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I cannot access a course (Project+) on Udemy that I had paid for last month because I deleted Facebook. You cannot reach these people unless you log in! They are a ripoff and will take your money and give you nothing!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

The course I bought, I later found on YouTube for free. It turns out that someone has stolen the content and faked their identity as the instructor. Reported this to Udemy and wanted my money back, got no response. Not only they allow stolen content on their platform and charge money for it, they refuse to do anything about it.

Original review: June 21, 2018

A prime example of customer abuse for money. I've used this platform as an instructor and to see what my competitors are doing I've used it as a customer. Udemy keeps the courses locked, and take a lot of money from the courses I SELL. They only care about money & never responds to the tickets I leave. I've successfully taught on Udemy for sometime, but do not want to do any more business with this company for now. I'm moving my courses to other platforms, even YouTube allows medium sized instructors to make more from ads. This platform was without competition for too long, they don't care about the customers anymore because they're big. Their competitors like BitDegree or Khan Academy are closing the gap fast, and offering better courses for lower price. And treat their instructors better!

Udemy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Udemy offers classes in virtually every subject imaginable, all available at any time. Their goal is to make education accessible and convenient.

• Plentiful class options: They offer more than 20,000 different courses covering everything from yoga to programming.

• Affordable pricing: Each class is affordable, and most cost less than $50.

• Pay as you go: Instead of racking up thousands in student debt, Udemy has a pay-as-you-go model that works with most budgets.

• Expert instructors: Every course is developed and led by experts in the field.

• Mobile access: The Udemy apps brings courses to you on the go. If you have a few minutes during the morning commute, catch a video or lecture.

• Best for: Professionals, stay-at-home moms and students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Udemy questions and answers

What sets your company apart from the competition?
Our mission is to help anyone learn anything. The Udemy story is fundamentally about transformation – of education, our jobs, our workplaces, the world around us, and ourselves – and our ability to actively shape our futures in the midst of massive change.
What problem is Udemy trying to solve?
Udemy’s online learning platform empowers individuals and companies to survive and thrive in a changing world. Udemy offers people everywhere the opportunity to advance their careers, change professions, develop their personal passions, or simply learn something new.
What needs do your products and services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Udemy taps into the knowledge of experts around the world to help students and companies everywhere build valuable skills. We believe the knowledge of everyday experts should be shared. Instructors can even monetize their expertise by sharing their knowledge with the people who need it.

Additionally, Udemy for Business, our corporate learning platform, delivers employee training for high-growth companies and teams. We are the only corporate learning platform that gives customers access to existing cutting-edge content as well as the ability to easily create and share their own internal content.
How does Udemy measure success?
Udemy is successful when its students have learned what they set out to learn. We’re about helping people find skills for their personal and professional development: when our students succeed, we succeed.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
Just a short time ago, we were not even able to watch a video online. Now people all over the world are using online videos to learn valuable skills. The world of online education has the potential to change lives and is riding a wave of momentum that will last for several years to come.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
The online learning space was not around 10 years ago and has really gained momentum in the last few years.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Udemy?
Online education makes skills development and training accessible to everyone. As more people embrace a lifelong learning mindset in order to remain competitive in today’s job market, we at Udemy see people across the world share their expertise and acquire new skills through online platforms like ours.
How has your company grown or evolved?
Udemy has experienced rapid growth since its founding in 2010. In 2014 alone, Udemy celebrated the enrollment of its 5 millionth student and added 6,000 new instructors. Company revenue increased 160 percent over the previous year, as well.

Also in 2014, Udemy tripled its employee count to 120 employees and moved into expanded headquarters in San Francisco’s SoMa district. Udemy opened our first European outpost in Dublin, Ireland. Additionally, we established Udemy Social Innovation, a program that helps nonprofits create online courses to increase their impact. Udemy plans to expand its growing international presence in 2015.

Udemy Company Information