Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
1.96/5

Strayer University

Founded in 1892, Strayer University is a private, higher education institution which specializes in degree programs for working adults. The university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees at over 90 campuses in more than 20 U.S. states and online. If you are a student seeking assistance, please contact us at getanswers@strayer.edu.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

444 Strayer University Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I began classes at Strayer on 1/2/2019 and continuing. When I filed my FA paperwork, I was told that I was chosen by the Government for "Verification", which required much more Financial Documentation. Thankfully, I do ask a lot of questions and love talking to people, AND have a friend who enrolled with me that did receive his FA and had taken on-line courses before and was familiar with all the paperwork. This kept me going to complete everything, IN SPITE of the government SHUT DOWN (Thanks TRUMP). So, a few weeks from finish, I will receive my refund, HOPEFULLY.

I must say, I find the staff very helpfully and met our new Dean at the Henrico VA Campus, who went through on-line school to become Asst. Dean and completed his Masters and became Dean for the school. Thanks to him sharing that with me and my new found help at Strayer, I have a MUCH brighter future in site.

As I am disabled and had been very isolated, which tends to happen when you can no longer leave you home easily, not at all without assistance other than brief outings 4 times or so a month for grocery shopping and picking up scripts. Since starting at Strayer, I have developed excellent partnerships with my Professors and the ADA Department (which helps if Disabled) so that you can obtain the necessary resources to achieve your goals in school. I am studying for a Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology (App & Web Development/Design).

The first two semesters were chosen for me and are by Strayer Staff to ensure you understand the requirements. One benefit is that the first two classes I took were Foundations of Success and Intro. to Business. Both Professors allowing a few weeks for new students to settle in. Knowing new students to on-line college will or may miss deadlines and need assistance finding everything, they were more lenient with deadlines. Only the first couple of weeks though.

I have found this to be a very rewarding experience and Highly recommend Strayer University as your choice for continuing your education. As the new Dean told me, take advantage of all the help offered, you owe to yourself to get the most out of YOUR SCHOOLING and College choice. Whichever college you choose, Good Luck in your future endeavors, take advantage of what your school offers, you really do OWE IT TO YOURSELF, it's your money, your future, your success, and YOU must do the work for any Degree, get the most help you can, I do at Strayer University. Thank you, to the entire Staff!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

As an online college student at Strayer, I have had a great experience so far. This will be my 3rd term at Strayer and I am so excited about where my future degree will take me. The enrollment process was very easy. I spoke with a recruiter, she asked the necessary questions, told me what she needed from me, I explained to her what my goals and expectations were and I was enrolled. Financial Aid needed documents from me as well, and I was able to get the department what they needed in a timely manner. If there was a document requested from me that I wasn't familiar with I asked questions and they were able to provide me instructions to get the issue resolved.

I have a 3.7 GPA and I take honor courses, which are more challenging courses. I honestly can say that being a mother of 3 school aged children, working full-time, and being a full-time student can be difficult at times, however I remain dedicated and devoted to make it to the finish line. My professors are very understanding when I experience life challenges and work with me if and when I have to submit assignments late. Communication, dedication, and time management are the key essentials to becoming a successful student at Strayer or any college for that matter. I have achieved so many goals at Strayer and I am so thankful for this school.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Strayer is a challenging school. You must be self motivated and put in the time for study. It is difficult. Testing is comprehensive. Writing and defending my 160 page Thesis was the most difficult educational challenge. I would average 4 hours each night and most Saturdays were spent studying and researching Thesis material. It took two years and $30,000 to complete my MBA. I found the online material professional and most instructors very knowledgeable as compared with my BBA instructors at Dallas Baptist University. This school is not easy and every student looking for an easy degree needs to stay away from this program. It takes commitment and from experience you must be able to comprehend and apply concepts.

I spent many days going back to review material because I did not get it the first time. I had to write drafts of my Thesis project and submit to my coaches and much of my first drafts were not approved due to not proving my conclusions or not using the correct format and documentation. The instructors make you prove what you have learned. No consideration is given for your personal problems or excuses. You must do the work. You must do it the correct way. Don’t start a program with Strayer unless you are committed. There is a reason the school has Regional Accreditation and all school credits will transfer to other colleges. They cannot bend the rules and keep that Accreditation and I appreciate the quality of education I received.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I am in my 3rd term at Strayer University, I have a 4.0 goal and made president's list this last term. The professors are knowledgeable, professional, and fair. The tools to be successful are abundant. My financial aid was easy, as I see many have issues with financial aid. My success coach is awesome. I have truly enjoyed every professor I have had so far. Out of six professors two were PHD in their field. I put a lot of hard work and dedication into my studies, I work full time and have a family. At Strayer University you can do everything you ever dreamed of if you are dedicated. I can’t remember the last time I was so proud of my accomplishments. I look forward to achieving my Bachelor's in Business Management with a concentration in Business Finance, and seeing where my future takes me. I would like to add I am 43 yrs old and have been out of school for 25 years. If I can do it you can too. Best of luck and God Bless!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have nothing but positive things to say about Strayer University. I have been attending the school since 2016. The success coaches have been super supportive. There is no reason why any student attending this school should fail a course. There are so many resources available to help you. Sure classes are pricier than other schools, but it is a private school that has been around since 1892 and has been providing quality education since. They now offer tuition credits that can be earned each semester. You can earn up to 10 tuition credits to go towards your Bachelor's degree. The financial aid department can use some improvement as far as the processing of information, but once it is established for me I had no more issues. Prospective students should utilize the site information for tuition rates, programs, and accreditations.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?

Original review: July 18, 2019

Strayer is Liars. I don't know why Queen Latifah chooses to advocate for such a money hungry school. They have ripped me off for years, claiming to give me something at the end and a computer that tore up and locked up after about 6 months. I wished I never went to this school and racked up so much debt. I will assist my daughter in finding another school before she ends up like me with so much debt. I wish they would investigate this school and shut them down!!!!

Original review: July 15, 2019

I went to school at Strayer for two years, and in that time, I was diagnosed with cancer. I could not go to school because I was getting treatments, and I withdrew from one class and failed the other. They suspended my financial aid, and I filed an appeal. I gave them every document they asked for and provided a note from my doctor giving me the all clear to go back. They denied my appeal, saying I did not satisfy the requirements for the appeal. Mind you this was over winter quarter when I withdrew and failed the classes. I was able to return the spring quarter and passed my classes and had my financial aid.

The kicker is that they waited until the summer quarter to take my financial aid and tell me all this. Then waited until the deadline passed before I had to call them and ask if my appeal had gone through. I asked what I could do so that I could attend class. The lady was very rude and said that if I did not have another way to pay, then I could not go back to school there and hung up on me. No explanation otherwise or if I could file another appeal or anything. My financial aid was approved through my FAFSA, but the school would not let me use it. Please look at other schools if you want to do online. I thought I had done enough research when I decided to go there. I am currently working on getting approved at another school. Good Luck, and please stay away from Strayer.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I'm so done with Strayer University! If you are a veteran thinking about going there please do not! They just want your money and that is it all! They are lazy and worse than the VA when it comes to processing your papers or issues and it will cause you to so much stress and have monthly BAH issues and prevent you from the VA work study. I am done with this school and it is my last quarter. Take your money elsewhere when it comes to your GI Bill and your education and be careful of what school you attend period. These schools are greedy when it comes to making money...

Original review: July 5, 2019

My experience with Strayer is a one star experience to date. I am not enrolled, but I view with interest the numerous soliciting emails in my Gmail account. I am dazzled by the fact that Strayer sets up business wherever there is an online internet connection. Throw in a Title IX "umbrella" & I see a fascinating topic for legal scholars.

By nature I am skeptical of the online university trade especially after the many years of "challenges" that I experienced in the "brick & mortar" contingent of higher education. #1 on the list is the assigning of grades in the 100% to 120% range- my impression is that Strayer does that. If I was a Strayer student & got a grade of over 100%, I would definitely appeal it. Their Student Code of Conduct is impressive, but I am flummoxed as to how Strayer could enforce it. With little research I would assume that they become an agent of an Orwellian, online Police State with no warning. I rest my case, God Save the Queen of England, an innocent woman.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I would not recommend this school to anyone who is looking for an actual, challenging college experience. I completed two years at an actual university, and it was MUCH more challenging than the quarter I attended at Strayer. There are NO admission requirements for this school, no ACT/SAT score, no college essay, and it doesn't matter how you did in high school. Anyone is accepted. I don't know of another University (besides University of Phoenix, which is also a joke) that has admission standards that are so lax.

All tests or quizzes are open-book and have no proctors which means no studying whatsoever. There were no finals in any of my classes. The requirement for the "paper" that one professor had us write was a joke. The weekly discussions were awful as well...no one put any thought or research into any of the topics minus a select few students. There are actual "Daily Bonus" questions in a lot of the classes where you can get an enormous amount of extra credit, which would never happen at a reputable school.

I put about 3% effort into the classes I took from Strayer and got an A in both. Had I put the same amount of effort into a reputable institution, I would've failed. So please, if you are on the "President's List" and have a 4.0, don't think it's because you actually earned it, as someone else has already said. The school is a joke and not an actual representation of a normal higher education institution. I started at Strayer because it was online, I am ready to finish my degree (halfway there!) and I have a friend who works there. After this upcoming quarter, I will not be returning and will be transferring back to my old university's online program.

Just a word of advice: employers do not take a degree from Strayer or University of Phoenix seriously. They will laugh in your face. Also, good luck getting your Strayer credits to transfer to any other school because they will not count. Other schools know this institution is a pile of BS and doesn't prepare you for their challenging programs.

The only way I'd say Strayer would be worth it is if you're older and just want to say you got a college education, however you will have to live with the fact that you cheated yourself out of an enormous amount of money for nothing, which brings me to my next point. Strayer is EXPENSIVE. You can go to a real university for half the price. Run, run away while you still can.

Strayer University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 120 years of experience in higher education and learning, Strayer University has developed a highly respected reputation.

• Regionally accredited: The same accrediting agency that is used by top schools like Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Temple also provides Strayer University's accreditation.

• Online price calculator: With price being such a driving force in higher education enrollment decisions, the option to calculate the cost before enrollment is ideal.

• Online application: You can fill out an application for enrollment online, so you don't need to spend hours on the phone answering questions before finding out if you are eligible.

• Masters degree programs: For virtually every bachelor's degree program, there is a corresponding masters degree available at Strayer University.

• Online chat service: If you have any questions when looking over the material, they offer 24/7 online chat to help you determine your eligibility and answer any questions you might have.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs