Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
1.97/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Strayer University

Founded in 1892, Strayer University is a private, higher education institution which specializes in degree programs for working adults. The university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees at over 90 campuses in more than 20 U.S. states and online. If you are a student seeking assistance, please contact us at getanswers@strayer.edu.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Strayer University Reviews

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I can't speak on the undergrad level but at the Graduate Level it is no joke. The teachers are extremely helpful but they'll also fail you in a heartbeat and if you GPA falls below 3.2, consider yourself dropping out. They make this very clear during orientation to let people know to take this seriously. When I first started, I had read reviews online and notice almost everyone is complaining about refunds and lack of resources, etc. I can honestly say, those reviews are not true in my experience. I got my refund no problem, the financial aid office even went ahead and schedule a interview with me to go over my financial aid. They basically tell you what your classes and course material cost and how much you can get from student loans. Even though they are for profit, they highly suggest against taking out the maximum amount you can borrow as they explain the interest rates and how much you could potentially be paying back upon graduation.

I feel a university that didn't care for you, would not do this. There are tons of resources available to you and clubs and organizations that you can participate in if you so choose. I chose Strayer University over Penn State world because my interview with strayer I wasn't seen as a number as Penn State world (their main campus didn't have the MBA concentration I wanted) only saw me as a number and reputation boaster in terms of my grades. Also, tuition at PSW was $48k (if I recall correctly). At strayer, at the time of writing, it is $34k. I have a cousin that goes to University of Bridgeport, a friend goes to LVC and another friend that goes to a university in Texas (I can't recall the name atm), All four of us are in MBA programs and we all take the same class they are name differently but the books are largely the same or a minor difference. The difference changes once we hit our concentration classes. I am a happy student and glad I made this choice.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I am absolutely in shock and appalled at more than half of these reviews. These sound like a bunch of entitled brats. They are completely biased. Half of these people are complaining about financial aid or how they failed classes because either "there was a death in the family" or " my kid was in prison". I attended NVCC community college for 4 years and only was able to accomplish 45 percent of my degree, it was incredibly expensive and they were MONEY HUNGRY.

200 dollars for parking, 5 dollars a day if you wanted to park in the parking garage. If you were a student who did not pay with financial aid they treated you like you were money bags or the money tree. They expected me to pay 400 DOLLARS for an IT textbook. The counselors wouldn't tell you there were ways to quickly get rid of your elective classes without having to pay so much and in much less time. they kept all this information from you, instead Strayer IMMEDIATELY tells you you can complete almost all elective courses via Straighter-line and Sophia, which does not record your grade that affects GPA, instead it just helps you get those credits you need.

This has been an absolute life saver for people who are busy with work. I was able to get a scholarship for knowing an alumni graduate at my government contracting job. I never thought I would be able to qualify for a scholarship in my life. People who say the content is too easy? Are we serious? I took 3 accounting classes online and by God was I struggling. I mean that content was extremely difficult, if you were off by 1 cent you got the question wrong...but the professors give you ample opportunities to pass with excess amounts of bonus points, which I see half the class not even utilizing.

I can finally say that a bachelor's degree and master degree are in my future. NVCC tries to keep you there with them until you rot. These non profit universities have extremely long acceptance process if you are coming from a community college. I would recommend this university to anyone serious about graduating and to anyone with hectic lifestyles. YOU CAN get a degree, IT IS attainable.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I began classes at Strayer on 1/2/2019 and continuing. When I filed my FA paperwork, I was told that I was chosen by the Government for "Verification", which required much more Financial Documentation. Thankfully, I do ask a lot of questions and love talking to people, AND have a friend who enrolled with me that did receive his FA and had taken on-line courses before and was familiar with all the paperwork. This kept me going to complete everything, IN SPITE of the government SHUT DOWN (Thanks TRUMP). So, a few weeks from finish, I will receive my refund, HOPEFULLY.

I must say, I find the staff very helpfully and met our new Dean at the Henrico VA Campus, who went through on-line school to become Asst. Dean and completed his Masters and became Dean for the school. Thanks to him sharing that with me and my new found help at Strayer, I have a MUCH brighter future in site.

As I am disabled and had been very isolated, which tends to happen when you can no longer leave you home easily, not at all without assistance other than brief outings 4 times or so a month for grocery shopping and picking up scripts. Since starting at Strayer, I have developed excellent partnerships with my Professors and the ADA Department (which helps if Disabled) so that you can obtain the necessary resources to achieve your goals in school. I am studying for a Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology (App & Web Development/Design).

The first two semesters were chosen for me and are by Strayer Staff to ensure you understand the requirements. One benefit is that the first two classes I took were Foundations of Success and Intro. to Business. Both Professors allowing a few weeks for new students to settle in. Knowing new students to on-line college will or may miss deadlines and need assistance finding everything, they were more lenient with deadlines. Only the first couple of weeks though.

I have found this to be a very rewarding experience and Highly recommend Strayer University as your choice for continuing your education. As the new Dean told me, take advantage of all the help offered, you owe to yourself to get the most out of YOUR SCHOOLING and College choice. Whichever college you choose, Good Luck in your future endeavors, take advantage of what your school offers, you really do OWE IT TO YOURSELF, it's your money, your future, your success, and YOU must do the work for any Degree, get the most help you can, I do at Strayer University. Thank you, to the entire Staff!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

As an online college student at Strayer, I have had a great experience so far. This will be my 3rd term at Strayer and I am so excited about where my future degree will take me. The enrollment process was very easy. I spoke with a recruiter, she asked the necessary questions, told me what she needed from me, I explained to her what my goals and expectations were and I was enrolled. Financial Aid needed documents from me as well, and I was able to get the department what they needed in a timely manner. If there was a document requested from me that I wasn't familiar with I asked questions and they were able to provide me instructions to get the issue resolved.

I have a 3.7 GPA and I take honor courses, which are more challenging courses. I honestly can say that being a mother of 3 school aged children, working full-time, and being a full-time student can be difficult at times, however I remain dedicated and devoted to make it to the finish line. My professors are very understanding when I experience life challenges and work with me if and when I have to submit assignments late. Communication, dedication, and time management are the key essentials to becoming a successful student at Strayer or any college for that matter. I have achieved so many goals at Strayer and I am so thankful for this school.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Strayer is a challenging school. You must be self motivated and put in the time for study. It is difficult. Testing is comprehensive. Writing and defending my 160 page Thesis was the most difficult educational challenge. I would average 4 hours each night and most Saturdays were spent studying and researching Thesis material. It took two years and $30,000 to complete my MBA. I found the online material professional and most instructors very knowledgeable as compared with my BBA instructors at Dallas Baptist University. This school is not easy and every student looking for an easy degree needs to stay away from this program. It takes commitment and from experience you must be able to comprehend and apply concepts.

I spent many days going back to review material because I did not get it the first time. I had to write drafts of my Thesis project and submit to my coaches and much of my first drafts were not approved due to not proving my conclusions or not using the correct format and documentation. The instructors make you prove what you have learned. No consideration is given for your personal problems or excuses. You must do the work. You must do it the correct way. Don’t start a program with Strayer unless you are committed. There is a reason the school has Regional Accreditation and all school credits will transfer to other colleges. They cannot bend the rules and keep that Accreditation and I appreciate the quality of education I received.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I graduated from there in 2012 with BA in Criminal Justice. They didn't do anything to help me find a job, academic advisor never contacted me after graduated or anything. I feel it was a wasted of money that I know how to pay back.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I attended Strayer University to receive a BA degree in HR Management as I was told by the Admissions and Guidance Counselors they had. I clearly stated I did not want a degree in Business as I was not interested. I completed my course work in 12/2011 and when I received my degree it stated BA in Business Administration. I immediately contacted the school and was told they would investigate and get back to me. Needless to say, if the school indeed did not offer a degree in HR Management, I should have been told when I made the call about receiving the incorrect major on my degree. This showed me that they concocted a story to provide to me advising me the degree in in Business with the minor in HR. How is that when I took very little to no business classes and all HR Classes. The school has deceptive practices.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Halfway through the semester I was nominated for verification. Now know I've done all this work up to halfway through and there's three weeks left of the semester. I'm told my financial aid isn't my official transcripts until the money is paid. Strayer needs to handle all financial aid documents and what's needed before a semester starts not till a student in the middle of the semester and expect them to pay thousands of dollars. They are out for money and if you do use financial aid I feel like they make it very difficult for it to be approved. Now we also know I was a transfer from a different University with the same exact tax here in financial aid. Strayer University is the only college I've ever had a problem with. I regret going with them as my school. If I were you I would think twice before attending.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

So far this degree is useless. Not even Strayer would hire me after I applied with them. To me this degree is so useless not even they take it seriously. After doing some research, I realized no one takes for profit universities seriously. I wish I had done the research before I enrolled, but I was so drawn to their format (online for working adults). My experience past the enrollment part (it was horrible trying to reach anyone!) was great. I enjoyed it. But like I said, not even they would hire me. I have a useless Masters Degree now. Do your research before you choose this school.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

If you notice, most of the people complaining about this school is because of failed financial aid or failing of classes. Well, it's not the school's job to find you financial aid. And yes, if you don't withdraw from a class, you will be charged. Whether you take it or not. All of this IS IN THE NEW STUDENT HANDBOOK. And for the individual who said that their class was over 6,000, what class were you taking because mine are 1440 a piece. And the one that used his G.I. BILL, IT SUCKS THAT YOU HAD ISSUES BECAUSE I HAD ZERO. I contacted them one day and 3 days later got my approval from the VA and was enrolled in classes that are all paid for. So if you're bashing this place due to your lack of financial aid or pack of reading/understanding the student handbook, that is your problem, not this university's.

Strayer University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 120 years of experience in higher education and learning, Strayer University has developed a highly respected reputation.

• Regionally accredited: The same accrediting agency that is used by top schools like Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Temple also provides Strayer University's accreditation.

• Online price calculator: With price being such a driving force in higher education enrollment decisions, the option to calculate the cost before enrollment is ideal.

• Online application: You can fill out an application for enrollment online, so you don't need to spend hours on the phone answering questions before finding out if you are eligible.

• Masters degree programs: For virtually every bachelor's degree program, there is a corresponding masters degree available at Strayer University.

• Online chat service: If you have any questions when looking over the material, they offer 24/7 online chat to help you determine your eligibility and answer any questions you might have.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs