2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

3.8/5 (204 ratings)

About Strayer University

Founded in 1892, Strayer University is a private, higher education institution which specializes in degree programs for working adults. The university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees at over 90 campuses in more than 20 U.S. states and online.

Strayer University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Was told my degree would be in HR, Kept asking to make sure as all my classes was in HR in 2013 when I received the degree is was in Business Administration. Called the dean to advise. Was told he would get it straight. Received a email advising the program was switched to Business ADMIN. from HR. I took out student loans to receive a degree in HR not Business. I could have went to another school and Received the degree I wanted. Now stuck with over 50k in student loans with no job in HR.

Original review: May 18, 2021

Where do I start. So I was in enrolled in University of Phoenix this year 2021 and I decided to go with another school which would be Strayer University because their classes in the field that I am studying started a little bit later which fit my schedule. I was approved for the fast one and I was approved for my program. My understanding was after registration that all I would need to do was to change the school code of my approvals and that everything will go through fine. Needless to say that did not happen. Literally my classes got paid for my Pell Grant got withheld. When I spoke to Fafsa they stated that all they had to do in the first place was override instead of making additional transactions to make me not eligible. I literally been working on this for two months.

Needless to say the school got paid for my classes but they’re making no effort to fix the mistakes that they are representatives and their financial aid me to make me an eligible for submitting my information when hello I have already been approved this year and you guys kept putting in PJ forms which made me an eligible. This is absolutely the worst experience ever. I wish I would’ve just stayed at University of Phoenix. I never knew that this would be so hard. I literally am talking to financial aid and phosphor and the dean and I still have yet to get a resolution to this problem. If they think that I’m going to school and not get what’s granted to me then they’re crazy because therefore I mean withdrawing at this point will be the logical thing to do because I will be crazy. The incompetency of the student financial aid to pay for classes and not get my pell grant that I was already eligible for three times guys. Three times and you’re still sending in PJ.

It is just almost like they do not comprehend the process of financial aid or even just transferring from one school to the next so would’ve been different if I had to apply for all of these things when I got to their school but it was already apply for approved by Fafsa and so I’m not understanding but I definitely would advise anyone thinking about going to the school to make sure you get all the information you need because she may just be paying the school to go to their school and not even be able to go for your pell grant because their financial aid department is illiterate. I filled a complaint with student financial aid dept at this time.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2021

In the beginning, it was all good. The classes were great. But there are several problems. I am pre-registered for classes. I should be able to choose what classes that I want to take and when. I requested that my counselor stop that, and she did it again. Then, you are forced to have a "discussion" with classmates. I just want to do my work and be done with it. I am not there to make friends. Half of the students do a copy and paste from other sites. They tell you, that you are to use correct grammar, however, most of the students don't. They spring these huge assignments on you, then tell you that you had two weeks to prepare when I made a complaint twice in weeks 2 and 3 that I couldn't view the assignment. The lectures are either from a year ago or close to a year ago.

I think they need to change their strategy when it comes to teaching. I am paying over 3k every 11 weeks (my price actually went up this year, for what I don't know. They didn't even inform anybody of the price increase). I am not rich. I cannot afford to fail this school, but it's beginning to look like they don't actually care. They just want money.

Original review: April 12, 2021

DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR TRICKS!!!! They are real nice when you are signing up and very responsive for your first semester. After that, they screw everything up. I am a veteran and had the Pell Grant to cover expenses and they still tried to say I had past due balances for tuition and books. When I tried to get this resolved, they drag their feet so that I could just be academically withdrawn and owe more money. When I tried to appeal, again dragging their feet so they didn't have to do anything. Now there is a collections account but no one wants to communicate to get it resolved. It took nearly 2 years to get resolved. My husband has a worse situation happening. Absolute nightmare.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I have been going to Strayer for a long time. I went for my Bachelor's, which to be honest was a fantastic experience from start to finish. Then I decided to go directly into my MBA immediately after graduating my Bachelor's. All of a sudden, the Admin help went away completely. They messed up my financial aid every single term. I could never get a phone call past the first semester from anyone. Not about grades, financial aid, registration, technical difficulties, nothing. Everything was done by email and I had to include everyone possible and be rude just to get a response.

One of the terms, they just simply told me that I did not have enough financial aid and they could not help me, I had to pay. I know for a fact I was still eligible so I resubmitted my FAFSA and let the submission get processed automatically without contacting them, then all of a sudden I had a full term of financial aid available. I can't even update my address and phone number without it being a problem. They STILL have some of the wrong information for me that I can't get fixed. The classes and teachers are actually great, but they overcharge and will not actually assist you with any Strayer specific issues. Go somewhere else, do not take your graduate classes here.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

THE worst decision you can make for your post secondary education. That is ESPECIALLY if you are paying out of pocket. There are more respected online schools out there that cost less and give you a higher quality education and learning experience. Please do your research! I wish I had done better. Strayer only wants your money. They do NOT care about the student. The admissions office staff are all so kind and that is where it ends. The Business deans' hands are always tied. There is never anything they can do to help you but of course they are all so sorry for your experience.

The instructors reply to your well thought out discussion posts and essays with general pre recorded videos that offer no real constructive criticism. Getting a hold of an instructor is nothing short of a miracle. Calling or emailing your success coach is futile. I waited literally 3 hours, no exaggeration to speak my coach and ended up getting someone I didn't even know. But guess who you can always get in touch with? Finance Department is always available to take your money. Do your research! You can do better than greedy money grubbing Strayer.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

Those two names I have mentioned above, are the people that I dealt with. I don't know how people can actually promise to help you and do not keep their promise. You pay money for your education and you do not learn anything let alone getting some help to pass your classes. I should have known that Strayer is one of those schools that finance matters instead of teaching students. I should have done my research before registering though. Thank you Strayer. Lesson learned.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Nothing but liars. I have been waiting since august so 2 months to get my clearance letter stating I have withdrawn. Because they are dragging their feet I have been tossed out of another school. They need to be shut down.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Suspended me for 1 bad grade and appeal twice. She told it was still processing and email again. She said start class in 10/6/20. But when that day came I found out I'm still suspended and the only thing she said sorry for that!!! "Can we reappeal?" I said. No. I'm done. And tired, exhausted, frustrated so I file complain to students affairs. They said they would look into it.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I completed my bachelors and masters degrees with Strayer. I took all but two classes online while working full time and raising my three kids. Strayer was so convenient and I had no issues with my financial aide, notably at the end of my bachelors I ran out of aide and was offered assistance that I was not aware of by my counselor. I had support from my instructors whenever I needed. I’d recommend Strayer to work adults hands down.

Strayer University author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

With more than 120 years of experience in higher education and learning, Strayer University has developed a highly respected reputation.

• Regionally accredited: The same accrediting agency that is used by top schools like Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Temple also provides Strayer University's accreditation.

• Online price calculator: With price being such a driving force in higher education enrollment decisions, the option to calculate the cost before enrollment is ideal.

• Online application: You can fill out an application for enrollment online, so you don't need to spend hours on the phone answering questions before finding out if you are eligible.

• Masters degree programs: For virtually every bachelor's degree program, there is a corresponding masters degree available at Strayer University.

• Online chat service: If you have any questions when looking over the material, they offer 24/7 online chat to help you determine your eligibility and answer any questions you might have.

Strayer University Company Information