1.94/5
Based on 407 reviews that contain star ratings

Strayer University

Founded in 1892, Strayer University is a private, higher education institution which specializes in degree programs for working adults. The university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees at over 90 campuses in more than 20 U.S. states and online. If you are a student seeking assistance, please contact us at getanswers@strayer.edu.

426 Strayer University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I started this university in January 2017. At first everything was great. They required documentation that I was more than happy to give them so I could get financial aid. Classes are great. You learn a lot but being a for profit school throws my thought of them being supposedly being for us but instead for the money! Summer 2018, I just randomly checked my account details online Strayer University iCampus website and found out my financial aid was reduced a bit to where I owed $250.00.

I told the financial aid/registration that I preferred financial aid to cover all expenses included books and was assured at the Morrisville office that there would be no need for concerned. Anyway, I paid the 250.00 for tuition so I could get my second class locked in and just decided to buy the books out of pocket as well, but then I was actually able to get my max financial once again after the fact-again, strayer's disorganization! And now here I come again for fall 2018, financial aid once again stated the Department of ED "decided at anytime" they needed to verify my financial aid therefore putting me at risk to once again possibly losing on a class-my last class at that. And the worst, when they and the department of education supposedly needs these things - you are not notified or notified at a very late moment.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I went to Strayer to get a MSHA and will graduate in December 2018 with a 4.0. Luckily I had corporate help with tuition and make a good living as a RN. The professors were great and challenging. I would recommend this school to anyone but you have to be self-motivated especially when attending graduate school. The staff is extremely helpful. I will go back in January 2019 to get a MBA.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2018

This school should be reported ASAP. They're all about money money money... I've submitted paperwork over 10 times just to get another email saying to submit something else. I'm SICK OF THEM. It's a straight ripoff... RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM THIS MONEY HUNGRY PLACE...

Original review: July 16, 2018

Strayer University have yet to explain why I owe them and the education department both for a semester I drop. The university holds your transcript which prevents you from further education possibilities. The school is very expensive. I need some government agency to investigate this institution because I believe they are stealing money.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I’ve had a great start to the Semester. I like the dashboard, and feel supported already. Plus my company is covering all educational cost, and my free laptop from Strayer is on the way. Can’t go wrong.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?

Original review: May 21, 2018

This school is For Profit, and does ANYTHING it can to not give you your refund. They piece by piece the information that you need to submit INSTEAD of asking for everything up front. They are a joke... and once I get my crap settled... I'm transferring to a NON for profit college. All I want to do, is better myself at my job... and they make it so you don't want to!

Original review: April 24, 2018

Applied at Strayer. Would call it a university, but it does not qualify. I have been applying for financial aid since February. Enrolled in classes and attended the orientation. Enjoyed the time in class (one week) and the instructors are above excellent. Later May, was told my financial aid papers were incomplete. Send in the appropriate forms and everything was okay. First of April received another email need more information by Ashley ** (Houston Northwest Coordinator), additional forms sent in.

Finally I withdraw from the school and on Friday. Janelle ** (Admission Officer) called and stated send any other financial aid forms to her and she would get it to the right persons. On April 7, the official withdraw date without penalty everything was in order. Come April 8 day after official withdraw email from financial office your financial aid in incomplete. Withdraw that day from the school and now I owe over $900.00 dollars for one week of class. I do not know how the educational department allow this foolery to go on, but my attorney has been notified of this situation.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Strayer University is a scam. People there are so money hungry. My success coach stop replying to my emails and calls because I was behind on expensive payments. I ask them over and over to lower my payments and they told me they couldn't. Now going into this school I was a single mother who was living place to place. I showed them where I didn't have a place to stay and they still wanted 500.00 a month. I am so glad that I am done with this school. My best bet is to continue my education at a community college where it is much cheaper and you get the proper education you need. RUN from this school or better yet this LOAN SHARK PLACE CALLED STRAYER. WORST THAN THE MAFIA.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I was very disappointed on how I had a change of grade request and it never got changed until over a year. Then I never received my financial aid back from it. The school say I still owe them when they messed up. How is it my fault that it took a year to process a change grade at the end of the semester. Now I can’t get my official transcript because they want me to pay for the semester that was covered. How can you say it’s cover then when the semester is over for over a month now you see I owe. I am so disappointed in the Birmingham campus and the financial aid staff. I would get an email that someone would contact me. I just want someone to fix their mistakes so I can get my transcript. One angry and disappointed former student.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I am very disgusted with Strayer University. I thought that it was going to be a great college to go to. First I want to know how two classes that I took there cost $6,955. That is totally ridiculous and unrealistic. Now the thing that really gets my blood boiling is that I apply for financial aid and I was expecting to get my financial aid paid for my classes that I was taking.

Instead of telling me like a professional person would, "You're not going to be able to get your money to pay for these classes. You should wait until your financial aid can help you" they put me in those 2 classes knowing that it wasn't going to be paid for and now they're telling me that I have to pay them $6,955 when they knew my classes were not being paid for it. I think they are the most scam college that I ever attended and I will never ever recommend this college to anybody if you ever see this college or ever see any advertisements don't even answer because all they want is the money and they scam me but I'm not paying them anything and I'm taking legal action against Strayer University.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

This university lacks the proper faculty to properly advise students on the best way to pursue their educational goals. The device you by not giving you the complete information on adequate staffing for your degree plan. Their bullying attempts to force you to continue your studies at their institution by promising you a graduation fund that is compiled of amounts withheld from your Financial Aid, and when you attempt to redeem these funds you are denied.

You are not reimbursed if you must transfer to another university to complete your required classes in order to reach your chosen academic achievements. You are offered excuses and are asked to change your degree plan to conform to their box. Asking an individual to give up on their dreams is inexcusable. They are the definition of a capitalistic organization. They are only out to get all the money they can without any regard to the individuals who puts in their time, efforts, and money to take the necessary steps to advance their careers and be a better provider for their family.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I would not even give a 1 star to this establishment. These people are bunch of money hungry thief and lairs. I transferred from ITT tech due to school closing and out of the 156 credits they only transferred 94 of them. When asked them to re-evaluate my transcript nothing good came back. The professors are bunch of racist because I always got treated unfairly and 2 classes are not satisfactory due to their system errors and absurd policies even getting a passing grade. Now I have paid for 80 some credits on my loan and I am at my limit. They won't accept credits and my legit CompTIA and Microsoft certifications. Was suppose to graduate 6 months ago but to make money off me they extended me to another year. This is crazy and daytime robbery. Why is this allowed in this day and age.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I was enrolled at Strayer for 1 1/2 years and changed my education plans that they did not offer so I have been trying to transfer to another university. I withdrew from Strayer in August 2017 and now it is the end of December 2017, and they have finally released my federal financial aid, in all I have submitted the paperwork to cancel my financial aid 6 times. Every time I would check on it there was some kind of error. In the meantime it has delayed me a total of six months, the next session with the new university is Feb 2018.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I have been enrolled in classes for 9 weeks and they keep requesting more information, saying doc aren't signed correctly. I have had all my information in the school for over 15 weeks and I bug them every day. I'm about to lose my stuff due to them not processing my aid. I need paper, printer Ink too. My pay my Wi-Fi service so I can do my classes. No one I mean no one has moved on this other than to ask for more stuff, more document. I applied and have already got my loans and everything done and ready. All they have to do is process my application. They allow you in classes then cause you to fail. They have no idea how much work it is for someone to work full-time and attend classes full time. They sign you up to fail. And funny thing is my aid still is not processed.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I've been trying to find a college to finish my degree mostly online due to my health. Strayer was one of several. I asked for more information, but instead, they started the enrollment process for the winter quarter for me and asked me to start sending in my information. Not what I expected at all, and it put me right off.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I recently enrolled in Strayer University and started my coursework on 10/3/2017 and it has been downhill ever since!! The Financial Aid department is very UNORGANIZED and does not care about its students. After my 30 day hold was up with the Department of Education Strayer employees continued to lie to me about funds and disbursements. First I was told by my success coach that the servers weren't communicating properly and the issue was fixed. Two days later I was told my MPN wasn't linked to my loans but now it's fixed. Then I was told the loans would disburse Friday 11/3 and they did not.

When I called again they guaranteed disbursement would be Monday 11/6. You guessed it. Still no disbursement on 11/6 and now I have a out of pocket balance for $3,058!! When I called Financial Aid again I was told I had an admissions hold on my account then when I was transferred I was told the wrong FAFSA was selected and that was what was wrong. But of course it's now fixed!! Needless to say the funds never disbursed and I am beyond frustrated and done with that establishment. I finally broke and asked for the Dean of my program number and email and a very nice rep hung up on me and I had to go to live chat to ask for the info which another rep claimed she didn't have!!! I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS ESTABLISHMENT TO ANYONE EVEN IF THEY FINALLY DISBURSED MY FUNDING!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I was very skeptical about attending Strayer to obtain my Masters at first. But after a few quarters I realized that the teachers were very knowledgeable and passionate about the subjects they were teaching. When I came to the realization that it was I who determined my own destiny, I opened up, dug deep and received intrinsically meaningful education that I wouldn't trade for the world. My Strayer teachers challenged me. But I also challenged them with my thirst to learn.

I worked hard and finished with a straight A cumulative of 4.0. Even better was when it came to applying what I had learned, my Strayer education didn't disappoint. I was able to land a great job as an Instructional Technologist at a great University that gives me the free range to extrapolate my clear understanding of my targeted audience's needs. My SME teaching schematics was given a dynamic punch as a result of attending Strayer. When fellow instructors that attended many other colleges seek knowledge from me in our line of work, I can honestly say Strayer was a great investment.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I finished my Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice at the end of March 2017! I graduated in Charlotte at the end of July as valedictorian with a 4.0 GPA. While I was a student at Strayer, I had some wonderful professors and awesome staff and faculty at my campus which is part of the reason my undergraduate program was such a success. Getting involved in clubs and being a blogger on iCampus helped me interact with students. I loved Strayer and highly recommend them to anyone who is thinking about going back to school and needs the flexibility they offer.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Overall, this school has been great. I've been a part-time student for several years now and have seen how Strayer continues to improve and upgrade the user experience. The registration process, book purchases, and other services have become very efficient. I can register, buy books and be enrolled just by following the steps on the website. The classes have varying degrees of difficulty. I have found some classes to be incredibly easy, while others required me to spend 15 to 20 hours a week to complete the weekly assignments.

Like every other college, it is only as good as the effort you put into it. To those that say that companies do not acknowledge this school as a credible school, they are simply wrong. My employer pays for my classes and only do so because of the accreditation. Many schools didn't make the cut. I chose Strayer because of the Information Technology classes that they offered. These classes have already helped me get a promotion, and my employer has made plans to get me into the Software Development group.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Taking my last 3 classes this coming October to finish up my Bachelor's. I definitely recommend Strayer to my peers, it's a great institution to further your education. Teachers do a great of working with you to help you achieve your goals.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Strayer University online classes gave me an opportunity to work towards my Bachelor's degree as well as grow professionally and personally. I was able to take classes while still keeping a full time job and taking care of my baby. The staff at the University was always friendly and helpful, checking in and providing answers whenever they arise.

They were also very understanding and supportive when consulting about my education issues - I finished high-school and several years of college in Europe - they provided me with the information necessary to be able to proceed with enrollment and helped finding the best solution to obtain documentation that was needed. I have only positive feelings for the administration and enrollment assisting staff for being open and straightforward with my situation. Classes are very informative and beneficial - I learn more every week and have an opportunity to push myself further and closer to my goal every semester.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I have been very happy with my experience with Strayer. I take both online and on campus classes each semester. I've been attending for a year and had credits transfer from community college I had taken many years ago. I am utilizing the G.I. Bill and keep on top of the finances each semester so I will not be caught off guard. The instructors that I have are all professionals in the field that they are teaching and knowledgeable about the subject matter. I work hard for my grades and keep aware to turn in assignments on time, if not early. I still have 2 years to go to finish my bachelor's degree, but I may accelerate that a little by testing out of a couple classes. I am optimistic that with diligence on my part, the rest of my time will be more than worthwhile.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I have tried other colleges as an adult learner, and none seem to be a perfect fit. Then, I enrolled in Strayer and it was perfect. The enrollment process was a breeze and the staff is very hands on. I began my journey with Strayer by attending one campus class and an online class. All professors were so helpful and willing to go the extra mile to make sure students understand the material and pass the classes. They provided supplemental instruction time when needed and were only a phone call, text message, or email away.

Even the Dean of the local campus interacted with students. I was even able to sit down with her and go over my career goal and she help me decide to change my focus to something that was going to be more beneficial to what my goal was. I absolutely love Strayer and would recommend all my family and friends to attend. Currently, I even have two daughters that attend Strayer as well and they love the flexibility of the online learning. It is an accredited college and the best choice I have made to finish off my education.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Major firms do not recognize a degree from this school. If you try to transfer to another business school, the school will not recognize any credits you have from Strayer. It is a degree that costs a lot of money and is worthless when it comes to getting you a job.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I attended Strayer, I believe from 1998 to 2005 (I believe) and was 4 credits short of my degree when I went to sign up for my last class. That is when the financial aid office informed me that I had no money left in my grant. That was the ONE AND ONLY TIME THEY HAD COMMUNICATED THIS TO ME. Financial Aid said I should have handled my money better but I was under the impression that I had enough to complete my full degree. Now I have an huge bill and no degree and can get no one to help me. I am a senior citizen and want to continue my education in West Virginia. Strayer is saying that I owe them $2000.00 and will not release my transcripts. I do not know what that money is for and get no one to speak to me about it. I now live on my Social Security and have this opportunity to continue my education.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Strayer University is a great school. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot using their online services. It's a great way to learn, very convenient and more at your pace than a traditional sit in the classroom type school. I really love how it's very hands on and descriptive about everything you do. It's a perfect way to school.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Enrolling at Strayer is pretty easy. All you really have to do is log into your account and go from there. You do need to make sure you have proper software and at least halfway decent internet though.Online programs can be very difficult depending on the degree you are going for. I find accounting and some business classes are better off in an actual classroom. But they make it easier. I wish there was a way to actually do an in person study group or something of that nature. Especially with some courses it's easier to talk it out with others and it can be challenging to convey what part confuses you over a computer rather than in person.

Original review: May 10, 2017

With Strayer University I just request information online, register on the website, choose the career to take, send the requirements and receive information on how to start. Then I receive study material and information references. I like their degree program, personal coach, campus and online, individual and group tutoring. As well as their master degree and personal treatment. There are great job opportunities, experience in the field of work, and schedule facilities. There is nothing in particular that I dislike, in general the process is easy and satisfactory, and meets my expectations. It is accessible for all people, fast and uncomplicated.

Original review: May 10, 2017

It is easy to engage and navigate. The courses are only helpful when you do the work. But it is very easy to pass the class without doing the readings or studies because a student can just use Google, Wiki or Youtube for information and I don’t like it. The student does not learn the details and how to’s by doing this and so missing crucial pieces of information. There is no way to ensure the student read or did the correct things to finish an assignment. I like however that we can work on our own time and watch the lessons whenever I am able to. No schedule that you have to adhere to, only deadlines. Also, there are lots of resources to reach out to for help. But it takes a lot of self discipline to stick to your studies because there is no one there to force you to put aside time for school.

Original review: May 9, 2017

The whole process was very simple and painless from enrolling to each class 6 week period all the way to graduation. There is always someone to help you each step of the way. I really liked the fact that I was able to work and keep going to school at my time when I was able. Never needed to take off work or try and find a babysitter. Although some of the classes you have group work which is to help in getting you to work well with others but you have those who don’t really care and wait 2 hrs before deadline to turn in their portion of work.

Strayer University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 120 years of experience in higher education and learning, Strayer University has developed a highly respected reputation.

• Regionally accredited: The same accrediting agency that is used by top schools like Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Temple also provides Strayer University's accreditation.

• Online price calculator: With price being such a driving force in higher education enrollment decisions, the option to calculate the cost before enrollment is ideal.

• Online application: You can fill out an application for enrollment online, so you don't need to spend hours on the phone answering questions before finding out if you are eligible.

• Masters degree programs: For virtually every bachelor's degree program, there is a corresponding masters degree available at Strayer University.

• Online chat service: If you have any questions when looking over the material, they offer 24/7 online chat to help you determine your eligibility and answer any questions you might have.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs