1.97/5
Based on 420 reviews that contain star ratings

Strayer University

Founded in 1892, Strayer University is a private, higher education institution which specializes in degree programs for working adults. The university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees at over 90 campuses in more than 20 U.S. states and online. If you are a student seeking assistance, please contact us at getanswers@strayer.edu.

439 Strayer University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

The professors, specifically Dr. ** in MKT 100, uses standardized feedback. They just randomly select from a "bank of comments," and they assigned it to students. Videos are used for feedback, but as long as you have "8 sentences," you will get an A. This is an educational scam. If you have a 4.0, don't think because you earned it. They just give "A's" away at this university.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I've been enrolled at Strayer University since 1/2019. So far there's been no problem with teachers responding or financial aid. My success coach Akinola ** always answers my calls and helps to solve any issues within the next day. I give this school a 5 star.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I began classes at Strayer on 1/2/2019 and continuing. When I filed my FA paperwork, I was told that I was chosen by the Government for "Verification", which required much more Financial Documentation. Thankfully, I do ask a lot of questions and love talking to people, AND have a friend who enrolled with me that did receive his FA and had taken on-line courses before and was familiar with all the paperwork. This kept me going to complete everything, IN SPITE of the government SHUT DOWN (Thanks TRUMP). So, a few weeks from finish, I will receive my refund, HOPEFULLY.

I must say, I find the staff very helpfully and met our new Dean at the Henrico VA Campus, who went through on-line school to become Asst. Dean and completed his Masters and became Dean for the school. Thanks to him sharing that with me and my new found help at Strayer, I have a MUCH brighter future in site.

As I am disabled and had been very isolated, which tends to happen when you can no longer leave you home easily, not at all without assistance other than brief outings 4 times or so a month for grocery shopping and picking up scripts. Since starting at Strayer, I have developed excellent partnerships with my Professors and the ADA Department (which helps if Disabled) so that you can obtain the necessary resources to achieve your goals in school. I am studying for a Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology (App & Web Development/Design).

The first two semesters were chosen for me and are by Strayer Staff to ensure you understand the requirements. One benefit is that the first two classes I took were Foundations of Success and Intro. to Business. Both Professors allowing a few weeks for new students to settle in. Knowing new students to on-line college will or may miss deadlines and need assistance finding everything, they were more lenient with deadlines. Only the first couple of weeks though.

I have found this to be a very rewarding experience and Highly recommend Strayer University as your choice for continuing your education. As the new Dean told me, take advantage of all the help offered, you owe to yourself to get the most out of YOUR SCHOOLING and College choice. Whichever college you choose, Good Luck in your future endeavors, take advantage of what your school offers, you really do OWE IT TO YOURSELF, it's your money, your future, your success, and YOU must do the work for any Degree, get the most help you can, I do at Strayer University. Thank you, to the entire Staff!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

As an online college student at Strayer, I have had a great experience so far. This will be my 3rd term at Strayer and I am so excited about where my future degree will take me. The enrollment process was very easy. I spoke with a recruiter, she asked the necessary questions, told me what she needed from me, I explained to her what my goals and expectations were and I was enrolled. Financial Aid needed documents from me as well, and I was able to get the department what they needed in a timely manner. If there was a document requested from me that I wasn't familiar with I asked questions and they were able to provide me instructions to get the issue resolved.

I have a 3.7 GPA and I take honor courses, which are more challenging courses. I honestly can say that being a mother of 3 school aged children, working full-time, and being a full-time student can be difficult at times, however I remain dedicated and devoted to make it to the finish line. My professors are very understanding when I experience life challenges and work with me if and when I have to submit assignments late. Communication, dedication, and time management are the key essentials to becoming a successful student at Strayer or any college for that matter. I have achieved so many goals at Strayer and I am so thankful for this school.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

From Day One enrolling at Strayer University has been one of the worse college experiences of my life. The PG Campus staff have attitude problem, and they don't know what they are talking about, and a staff member at the LRC lied on me to other staff. One Academic Dean when I had an issue with them not providing me tutoring or they had no tutoring program set up as they advertise, told me "I already have my Degree" as if she was doing me a favor assisting me with my issues. I had a death in my family and provided proof and my English teacher disregarded my proof and took late points off on assignments. They changed my success coach in 2018 and she had an attitude, and got mad that I went to someone else for help 'cause she doesn't know what she is doing.

Then they have this male Academic coach who was there probably months, but I've been there by this time a couple of years, but he tried to explain to me what happened with my schooling as if he knew exactly what happened and he didn't. He is arrogant and is was no help. He even frowns at me now when I walk into the office. Professional? Not! I recommended this school to my sister and she registered not knowing she would have problems, but when her problems came up, the Director of Finance said smart comments to my sister regarding the issues. On top of that in 2017 the same Director of Finance, couldn't help or find me a tutor for Accounting, yet she is the Dean of Finance. Her excuse was, "I am the Director of Finance on the business side..." Why are you even there at the campus versus being at corporate...

If you as the Director of Finance can't assist a student with or refer the student to someone who can assist the student, you don't need to be at the actual campus. You are no help. If you are thinking about going to Strayer University PG Campus, make sure you know what all those unprofessional, non informative, attitudes having, staff members do what they are supposed to do, cause they will run over top of you and treat you like they are doing you a favor. They don't know what they are talking about and the only way to assure your success at the PG-Suitland campus is to stay on top of the staff like white on rice for your benefit and to not allow them to get over on you doing anything, saying anything, and not helping you succeed as they so called advertise.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Strayer is a challenging school. You must be self motivated and put in the time for study. It is difficult. Testing is comprehensive. Writing and defending my 160 page Thesis was the most difficult educational challenge. I would average 4 hours each night and most Saturdays were spent studying and researching Thesis material. It took two years and $30,000 to complete my MBA. I found the online material professional and most instructors very knowledgeable as compared with my BBA instructors at Dallas Baptist University. This school is not easy and every student looking for an easy degree needs to stay away from this program. It takes commitment and from experience you must be able to comprehend and apply concepts.

I spent many days going back to review material because I did not get it the first time. I had to write drafts of my Thesis project and submit to my coaches and much of my first drafts were not approved due to not proving my conclusions or not using the correct format and documentation. The instructors make you prove what you have learned. No consideration is given for your personal problems or excuses. You must do the work. You must do it the correct way. Don’t start a program with Strayer unless you are committed. There is a reason the school has Regional Accreditation and all school credits will transfer to other colleges. They cannot bend the rules and keep that Accreditation and I appreciate the quality of education I received.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I attended North Campus which is in Concord, NC. My experience was horrible. They kept giving me the runaround about documents that needed to be turned in. Then they wanted to charge me for some classes that I never took. Remind you while I was there I kept an GPA of 4.0. Now that I am trying to go to another school they won't let me get my transcripts because they are saying that I owe them money. Strayer isn't nothing but a scam and need to be dealt with accordingly. It's not fair that they are trying to hinder me from going to another school because they know you need your official transcripts. This is a horrible school and I wouldn't recommend this bull crap to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I am in my 3rd term at Strayer University, I have a 4.0 goal and made president's list this last term. The professors are knowledgeable, professional, and fair. The tools to be successful are abundant. My financial aid was easy, as I see many have issues with financial aid. My success coach is awesome. I have truly enjoyed every professor I have had so far. Out of six professors two were PHD in their field. I put a lot of hard work and dedication into my studies, I work full time and have a family. At Strayer University you can do everything you ever dreamed of if you are dedicated. I can’t remember the last time I was so proud of my accomplishments. I look forward to achieving my Bachelor's in Business Management with a concentration in Business Finance, and seeing where my future takes me. I would like to add I am 43 yrs old and have been out of school for 25 years. If I can do it you can too. Best of luck and God Bless!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have nothing but positive things to say about Strayer University. I have been attending the school since 2016. The success coaches have been super supportive. There is no reason why any student attending this school should fail a course. There are so many resources available to help you. Sure classes are pricier than other schools, but it is a private school that has been around since 1892 and has been providing quality education since. They now offer tuition credits that can be earned each semester. You can earn up to 10 tuition credits to go towards your Bachelor's degree. The financial aid department can use some improvement as far as the processing of information, but once it is established for me I had no more issues. Prospective students should utilize the site information for tuition rates, programs, and accreditations.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I would not attend this school! I have been yanked around, forced to repeat classes while burning through FA due to personality clashes with the Instructor. I've been written up for using profanity and insubordination for telling her to collect her overly inflated ego and using the word "damn" and a dude calling from Falls Church area telling me that I cannot be taken out of her class because it would not be in my favor with it being the 4th week in the term. This is MY journey and MY money - I chose SU originally because I thought they were a reputable school, but after repeated issues from the FA side to the Admissions side, and everything in between this is a school that is only concerned about preying on certain economical status students and will say/do whatever they can to save their own skin.

This exaggerated Level 1 Code of Conduct was the final straw - I've had enough of throwing my money into a school that don't value me. This particular instructor is by far THE ABSOLUTE WORST I have had and I have no desire to engage with her at all! I went from an A to now a D in her class... Which in itself is comical! I would not recommend this school to anyone... I've hung on and have given everything I can to finish up here but they are repeatedly giving me every reason to jump ship. Unethical, Unprofessional, Greedy, Disrespectful, and Deceitful no matter who you engage with or what department you are forced to embrace. I've been in the Admissions field while holding down various levels within the industry and I have never had to manipulate or beat down a student in order to get them to do what they needed to do. This school is a joke!

Strayer University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 120 years of experience in higher education and learning, Strayer University has developed a highly respected reputation.

• Regionally accredited: The same accrediting agency that is used by top schools like Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Temple also provides Strayer University's accreditation.

• Online price calculator: With price being such a driving force in higher education enrollment decisions, the option to calculate the cost before enrollment is ideal.

• Online application: You can fill out an application for enrollment online, so you don't need to spend hours on the phone answering questions before finding out if you are eligible.

• Masters degree programs: For virtually every bachelor's degree program, there is a corresponding masters degree available at Strayer University.

• Online chat service: If you have any questions when looking over the material, they offer 24/7 online chat to help you determine your eligibility and answer any questions you might have.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs