1.93/5
Based on 411 reviews that contain star ratings

Strayer University

Founded in 1892, Strayer University is a private, higher education institution which specializes in degree programs for working adults. The university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees at over 90 campuses in more than 20 U.S. states and online. If you are a student seeking assistance, please contact us at getanswers@strayer.edu.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

430 Strayer University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I would not attend this school! I have been yanked around, forced to repeat classes while burning through FA due to personality clashes with the Instructor. I've been written up for using profanity and insubordination for telling her to collect her overly inflated ego and using the word "damn" and a dude calling from Falls Church area telling me that I cannot be taken out of her class because it would not be in my favor with it being the 4th week in the term. This is MY journey and MY money - I chose SU originally because I thought they were a reputable school, but after repeated issues from the FA side to the Admissions side, and everything in between this is a school that is only concerned about preying on certain economical status students and will say/do whatever they can to save their own skin.

This exaggerated Level 1 Code of Conduct was the final straw - I've had enough of throwing my money into a school that don't value me. This particular instructor is by far THE ABSOLUTE WORST I have had and I have no desire to engage with her at all! I went from an A to now a D in her class... Which in itself is comical! I would not recommend this school to anyone... I've hung on and have given everything I can to finish up here but they are repeatedly giving me every reason to jump ship. Unethical, Unprofessional, Greedy, Disrespectful, and Deceitful no matter who you engage with or what department you are forced to embrace. I've been in the Admissions field while holding down various levels within the industry and I have never had to manipulate or beat down a student in order to get them to do what they needed to do. This school is a joke!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Strayer charges double price for classes and will not INVEST into better systems. I have been working on my Financial Aid since last year for RANDOM verification. Since July 2018, they've been losing my legal documents, asking for me to keep submitting them, meanwhile I am losing time in school, losing money, being scrutinized by Financial Affairs. I did a Conference call with Financial Aid online, after the call, she states Strayer is by far the most difficult educational system.

I agree. They are doing something, can't put my finger on it. Meanwhile if you aren't enrolled you are now subjected to paying loans back!! I have completed my Associate Degree with them and Now attempting to gain my Bachelor's. The hold and procrastination on their end is costing time and money and I WANT IT ALL BACK FROM THEM!!! Strayer is a PRIVATE Education whose GOAL IS TO GET MONEY out of you and at the same time it's not even a REPUTABLE SCHOOL. All I say now is I have a degree, fearful to say from where. CLASS ACTION PLEASE. Reach out to me, I will go speak with an Attorney.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Strayer has put a out of pocket balance on my financial aid. This is my 7th term. Now my future degree ruin. I don't have the funds to get my degree. I spoke with other students attended Strayer and they had the same problem, they get almost to finishing and end up with a balance.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I just finished reading the reviews. This is my second year. I'm almost into my 3rd year. I wish I would have read the reviews before I attended this school. I guess God is showing me that I went to the wrong school. MONEY, MONEY. I did poorly and failed a few classes, More than willing to repeat. WHY did I fail? I am clinically diagnosed with severe depression. I had a mental breakdown. There were several issues that led me to this such as 2 deaths in my immediate family. A son that's facing several years in federal prison, husband away going on 5 years. A nine year old son to care for and due to certain circumstances I became homeless with My GPA never dropping below 2.0. As of this moment I am supposedly suspended and it's been suggested by my mental health provider to seek legal counsel. They are breaking the law.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I started this university in January 2017. At first everything was great. They required documentation that I was more than happy to give them so I could get financial aid. Classes are great. You learn a lot but being a for profit school throws my thought of them being supposedly being for us but instead for the money! Summer 2018, I just randomly checked my account details online Strayer University iCampus website and found out my financial aid was reduced a bit to where I owed $250.00.

I told the financial aid/registration that I preferred financial aid to cover all expenses included books and was assured at the Morrisville office that there would be no need for concerned. Anyway, I paid the 250.00 for tuition so I could get my second class locked in and just decided to buy the books out of pocket as well, but then I was actually able to get my max financial once again after the fact-again, strayer's disorganization! And now here I come again for fall 2018, financial aid once again stated the Department of ED "decided at anytime" they needed to verify my financial aid therefore putting me at risk to once again possibly losing on a class-my last class at that. And the worst, when they and the department of education supposedly needs these things - you are not notified or notified at a very late moment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I went to Strayer to get a MSHA and will graduate in December 2018 with a 4.0. Luckily I had corporate help with tuition and make a good living as a RN. The professors were great and challenging. I would recommend this school to anyone but you have to be self-motivated especially when attending graduate school. The staff is extremely helpful. I will go back in January 2019 to get a MBA.

Original review: July 23, 2018

This school should be reported ASAP. They're all about money money money... I've submitted paperwork over 10 times just to get another email saying to submit something else. I'm SICK OF THEM. It's a straight ripoff... RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM THIS MONEY HUNGRY PLACE...

Original review: July 16, 2018

Strayer University have yet to explain why I owe them and the education department both for a semester I drop. The university holds your transcript which prevents you from further education possibilities. The school is very expensive. I need some government agency to investigate this institution because I believe they are stealing money.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I’ve had a great start to the Semester. I like the dashboard, and feel supported already. Plus my company is covering all educational cost, and my free laptop from Strayer is on the way. Can’t go wrong.

Original review: May 21, 2018

This school is For Profit, and does ANYTHING it can to not give you your refund. They piece by piece the information that you need to submit INSTEAD of asking for everything up front. They are a joke... and once I get my crap settled... I'm transferring to a NON for profit college. All I want to do, is better myself at my job... and they make it so you don't want to!

Strayer University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 120 years of experience in higher education and learning, Strayer University has developed a highly respected reputation.

• Regionally accredited: The same accrediting agency that is used by top schools like Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Temple also provides Strayer University's accreditation.

• Online price calculator: With price being such a driving force in higher education enrollment decisions, the option to calculate the cost before enrollment is ideal.

• Online application: You can fill out an application for enrollment online, so you don't need to spend hours on the phone answering questions before finding out if you are eligible.

• Masters degree programs: For virtually every bachelor's degree program, there is a corresponding masters degree available at Strayer University.

• Online chat service: If you have any questions when looking over the material, they offer 24/7 online chat to help you determine your eligibility and answer any questions you might have.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs