2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.98/5

Founded in 1892, Strayer University is a private, higher education institution which specializes in degree programs for working adults. The university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees at over 90 campuses in more than 20 U.S. states and online. If you are a student seeking assistance, please contact us at getanswers@strayer.edu.

Strayer University Reviews

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Strayer University is a great School. The instructors in the graduates program are informative and helpful. Essentially, I applied myself and received great results and experience. The business, management and human resource classes were relevant to my career. I took what I learned from my classes and applied the information to my project management duties. I enjoyed learning at Strayer University.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

So let me just start by saying I had issues understanding my financial aid and I was kind of annoyed and sent an email where you could tell I was annoyed. Erin ** is the woman who was assigned to help me and let me tell you how Patient and helpful she was even when I sent the email where I was so frustrated. She fixed everything for me ON A SUNDAY and made sure I understood everything about my disbursement and refund and payment plan upcoming for winter 2020 quarter. So so helpful. I am reading all these bad reviews but honestly I had a good experience. I think it really depends on who is assigned to you.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I can't speak on the undergrad level but at the Graduate Level it is no joke. The teachers are extremely helpful but they'll also fail you in a heartbeat and if you GPA falls below 3.2, consider yourself dropping out. They make this very clear during orientation to let people know to take this seriously. When I first started, I had read reviews online and notice almost everyone is complaining about refunds and lack of resources, etc. I can honestly say, those reviews are not true in my experience. I got my refund no problem, the financial aid office even went ahead and schedule a interview with me to go over my financial aid. They basically tell you what your classes and course material cost and how much you can get from student loans. Even though they are for profit, they highly suggest against taking out the maximum amount you can borrow as they explain the interest rates and how much you could potentially be paying back upon graduation.

I feel a university that didn't care for you, would not do this. There are tons of resources available to you and clubs and organizations that you can participate in if you so choose. I chose Strayer University over Penn State world because my interview with strayer I wasn't seen as a number as Penn State world (their main campus didn't have the MBA concentration I wanted) only saw me as a number and reputation boaster in terms of my grades. Also, tuition at PSW was $48k (if I recall correctly). At strayer, at the time of writing, it is $34k. I have a cousin that goes to University of Bridgeport, a friend goes to LVC and another friend that goes to a university in Texas (I can't recall the name atm), All four of us are in MBA programs and we all take the same class they are name differently but the books are largely the same or a minor difference. The difference changes once we hit our concentration classes. I am a happy student and glad I made this choice.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I am absolutely in shock and appalled at more than half of these reviews. These sound like a bunch of entitled brats. They are completely biased. Half of these people are complaining about financial aid or how they failed classes because either "there was a death in the family" or " my kid was in prison". I attended NVCC community college for 4 years and only was able to accomplish 45 percent of my degree, it was incredibly expensive and they were MONEY HUNGRY.

200 dollars for parking, 5 dollars a day if you wanted to park in the parking garage. If you were a student who did not pay with financial aid they treated you like you were money bags or the money tree. They expected me to pay 400 DOLLARS for an IT textbook. The counselors wouldn't tell you there were ways to quickly get rid of your elective classes without having to pay so much and in much less time. they kept all this information from you, instead Strayer IMMEDIATELY tells you you can complete almost all elective courses via Straighter-line and Sophia, which does not record your grade that affects GPA, instead it just helps you get those credits you need.

This has been an absolute life saver for people who are busy with work. I was able to get a scholarship for knowing an alumni graduate at my government contracting job. I never thought I would be able to qualify for a scholarship in my life. People who say the content is too easy? Are we serious? I took 3 accounting classes online and by God was I struggling. I mean that content was extremely difficult, if you were off by 1 cent you got the question wrong...but the professors give you ample opportunities to pass with excess amounts of bonus points, which I see half the class not even utilizing.

I can finally say that a bachelor's degree and master degree are in my future. NVCC tries to keep you there with them until you rot. These non profit universities have extremely long acceptance process if you are coming from a community college. I would recommend this university to anyone serious about graduating and to anyone with hectic lifestyles. YOU CAN get a degree, IT IS attainable.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

If you notice, most of the people complaining about this school is because of failed financial aid or failing of classes. Well, it's not the school's job to find you financial aid. And yes, if you don't withdraw from a class, you will be charged. Whether you take it or not. All of this IS IN THE NEW STUDENT HANDBOOK. And for the individual who said that their class was over 6,000, what class were you taking because mine are 1440 a piece. And the one that used his G.I. BILL, IT SUCKS THAT YOU HAD ISSUES BECAUSE I HAD ZERO. I contacted them one day and 3 days later got my approval from the VA and was enrolled in classes that are all paid for. So if you're bashing this place due to your lack of financial aid or pack of reading/understanding the student handbook, that is your problem, not this university's.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?

Original review: June 13, 2020

While there is a small percentage of legitimate “professors” and capable students, the vast majority are a joke. It’s more so a business driven by profit margins at the expense of misguided students who receive a substandard education at exorbitant costs. Stay away!

Original review: May 15, 2020

This unaccredited college is bias and has cause me some extreme stress to the point I am not able to continue with this school at all. It's not good for my psyche!!! I have been lied to and on, disrespected on numerous occasions, and to top it off this ** school has the nerve to throw stones and hide their hands. I don't care how many times you call me threatening me about being dropped and how I'll be forced to pay for the dropped class. Oh damn well!!! I can write a book about all the illegal BS this school has done to me with no care at all. Smh. Financial Aid will be doing a thorough investigation. So see you in court you ** false advertising fake review posting unaccredited college! ✌???

Original review: March 26, 2020

I was enrolled with Strayer but not anymore after submitting the documents and all the information. They reject it after doing all assignments they take a while to upload the gradee they chose who they feel should get the grade. My success coach doesn't respond to me unless I have to call and complain at least 10x a week because of them not approving my documents. Oh and the refund money I never received a dime of it so before you apply to this school you better rethink they may act all sweet and nice but Hunny they can play you.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

The truth of the matter is this school has POTENTIAL! While most are fussing about their financial aid & the ones who rave so they’re fussing about the refund, “I” can personally tell you that aside from the “REFUND” side of this, they all are telling the truth. I entered this college without properly researching it & I have my concerns!

1.) There is always some type of “glitch” going on. Even in the actual blackboard where you do the work at. You have to go into different browsers just to be able to complete the work. Their glitches & IT issues are frustrating. People are saying it’s the refund, but it’s more of them not addressing the issues & leaving their students hanging not knowing if they classes will be paid for.

2.) If you’re thinking you’re gonna get genuine feedback from your Professors, you will NOT. They do prepaid videos & just attach them to your work. If you reach out via email to them, you’ll probably rarely actually get them. You’re more than likely to receive a vague response by their teaching assistants.

3.) When you’re enrolling, you’ll hear from them every single day. Once you’re an official student, you won’t receive a response. The Success Coaches are almost nonexistent & your Dean only reaches out to you the beginning of school, midterm week & when the semester is over.

4.) The tuition here is quite high. I didn’t know this until AFTER I was enrolled & a few weeks had passed in the first semester.

5.) Little to no schools will allow Strayer’s credits to be transferred. What does that tell you?

6.) On a good note, you’ll have a forum where you can build some great connections with others. It’s refreshing.

7.) There really are some very enjoyable classes. I didn’t say them all, but there are classes & Professors I would never be mad about having over & over. They keep in contact even after you leave their class.

8.) Students sometimes want to enter because Strayer offers a free laptop. The deal about this, is something that is posted. The laptop is yours only AFTER you finish 3 terms with them. You’ll have to send it back or pay full price should you decide you don’t want to continue after the first or second term. That’s no more than right.

If Strayer would keep a genuine line of communication open, fixed their “glitches” & make their Professors actually TELL you in real time things & not send pre-made videos explaining absolutely nothing, the school would actually be an decent school. Also, if you could actually get a recognizable degree in the cooperate world, that would be even better. It’s one of those “is it worth it to YOU” types of situations. If you’re ok with the few slight cons mentioned, I’d say go for it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Strayer is a joke, me and my daughter attended the same year 2016. Let me start by saying my daughter was going for social worker, so I question the success coach man name Scott. He said yes Strayer specialize in that degree. Here it is 2020. I realize why he taking so many business class and not nothing to do with social worker. So one of the success coaches stated that they never had classes there for that. I e-mailed the man that use to be the dean at Lithonia campus. He ask for the name. Said he was going contact me back and look into the case. Never did. It's been 6 months now.

Another part to this story Strayer have pulled my 2017 tax information. Claimed something was missing, I been going back and forward from the IRS to my tax people. They said it's Strayer. They don't know what they are doing. Even IRS question it. So my daughter financial aid they claim she can't get until we continue to bring the same documents they have have took a million time up there. Every time I take one thing it's another one. I feel this school shouldn't even be in business, they pull the same thing with me, because they didn't want to pay the grad fund and my daughter suppose to be getting grad fund this semester. So I am fed up with them. I am transferring my daughter and will find a lawyer if I find out they took money from her financial aid, its something they are covering up.

Strayer University author review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 120 years of experience in higher education and learning, Strayer University has developed a highly respected reputation.

• Regionally accredited: The same accrediting agency that is used by top schools like Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Temple also provides Strayer University's accreditation.

• Online price calculator: With price being such a driving force in higher education enrollment decisions, the option to calculate the cost before enrollment is ideal.

• Online application: You can fill out an application for enrollment online, so you don't need to spend hours on the phone answering questions before finding out if you are eligible.

• Masters degree programs: For virtually every bachelor's degree program, there is a corresponding masters degree available at Strayer University.

• Online chat service: If you have any questions when looking over the material, they offer 24/7 online chat to help you determine your eligibility and answer any questions you might have.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team