2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.98/5

Founded in 1892, Strayer University is a private, higher education institution which specializes in degree programs for working adults. The university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees at over 90 campuses in more than 20 U.S. states and online. If you are a student seeking assistance, please contact us at getanswers@strayer.edu.

Strayer University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I completed my bachelors and masters degrees with Strayer. I took all but two classes online while working full time and raising my three kids. Strayer was so convenient and I had no issues with my financial aide, notably at the end of my bachelors I ran out of aide and was offered assistance that I was not aware of by my counselor. I had support from my instructors whenever I needed. I’d recommend Strayer to work adults hands down.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Strayer University is a great School. The instructors in the graduates program are informative and helpful. Essentially, I applied myself and received great results and experience. The business, management and human resource classes were relevant to my career. I took what I learned from my classes and applied the information to my project management duties. I enjoyed learning at Strayer University.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

So let me just start by saying I had issues understanding my financial aid and I was kind of annoyed and sent an email where you could tell I was annoyed. Erin ** is the woman who was assigned to help me and let me tell you how Patient and helpful she was even when I sent the email where I was so frustrated. She fixed everything for me ON A SUNDAY and made sure I understood everything about my disbursement and refund and payment plan upcoming for winter 2020 quarter. So so helpful. I am reading all these bad reviews but honestly I had a good experience. I think it really depends on who is assigned to you.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Nothing but liars. I have been waiting since august so 2 months to get my clearance letter stating I have withdrawn. Because they are dragging their feet I have been tossed out of another school. They need to be shut down.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Suspended me for 1 bad grade and appeal twice. She told it was still processing and email again. She said start class in 10/6/20. But when that day came I found out I'm still suspended and the only thing she said sorry for that!!! "Can we reappeal?" I said. No. I'm done. And tired, exhausted, frustrated so I file complain to students affairs. They said they would look into it.

Original review: June 13, 2020

While there is a small percentage of legitimate “professors” and capable students, the vast majority are a joke. It’s more so a business driven by profit margins at the expense of misguided students who receive a substandard education at exorbitant costs. Stay away!

Original review: May 15, 2020

This unaccredited college is bias and has cause me some extreme stress to the point I am not able to continue with this school at all. It's not good for my psyche!!! I have been lied to and on, disrespected on numerous occasions, and to top it off this ** school has the nerve to throw stones and hide their hands. I don't care how many times you call me threatening me about being dropped and how I'll be forced to pay for the dropped class. Oh damn well!!! I can write a book about all the illegal BS this school has done to me with no care at all. Smh. Financial Aid will be doing a thorough investigation. So see you in court you ** false advertising fake review posting unaccredited college! ✌???

Original review: March 26, 2020

I was enrolled with Strayer but not anymore after submitting the documents and all the information. They reject it after doing all assignments they take a while to upload the gradee they chose who they feel should get the grade. My success coach doesn't respond to me unless I have to call and complain at least 10x a week because of them not approving my documents. Oh and the refund money I never received a dime of it so before you apply to this school you better rethink they may act all sweet and nice but Hunny they can play you.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

The truth of the matter is this school has POTENTIAL! While most are fussing about their financial aid & the ones who rave so they’re fussing about the refund, “I” can personally tell you that aside from the “REFUND” side of this, they all are telling the truth. I entered this college without properly researching it & I have my concerns!

1.) There is always some type of “glitch” going on. Even in the actual blackboard where you do the work at. You have to go into different browsers just to be able to complete the work. Their glitches & IT issues are frustrating. People are saying it’s the refund, but it’s more of them not addressing the issues & leaving their students hanging not knowing if they classes will be paid for.

2.) If you’re thinking you’re gonna get genuine feedback from your Professors, you will NOT. They do prepaid videos & just attach them to your work. If you reach out via email to them, you’ll probably rarely actually get them. You’re more than likely to receive a vague response by their teaching assistants.

3.) When you’re enrolling, you’ll hear from them every single day. Once you’re an official student, you won’t receive a response. The Success Coaches are almost nonexistent & your Dean only reaches out to you the beginning of school, midterm week & when the semester is over.

4.) The tuition here is quite high. I didn’t know this until AFTER I was enrolled & a few weeks had passed in the first semester.

5.) Little to no schools will allow Strayer’s credits to be transferred. What does that tell you?

6.) On a good note, you’ll have a forum where you can build some great connections with others. It’s refreshing.

7.) There really are some very enjoyable classes. I didn’t say them all, but there are classes & Professors I would never be mad about having over & over. They keep in contact even after you leave their class.

8.) Students sometimes want to enter because Strayer offers a free laptop. The deal about this, is something that is posted. The laptop is yours only AFTER you finish 3 terms with them. You’ll have to send it back or pay full price should you decide you don’t want to continue after the first or second term. That’s no more than right.

If Strayer would keep a genuine line of communication open, fixed their “glitches” & make their Professors actually TELL you in real time things & not send pre-made videos explaining absolutely nothing, the school would actually be an decent school. Also, if you could actually get a recognizable degree in the cooperate world, that would be even better. It’s one of those “is it worth it to YOU” types of situations. If you’re ok with the few slight cons mentioned, I’d say go for it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Strayer is a joke, me and my daughter attended the same year 2016. Let me start by saying my daughter was going for social worker, so I question the success coach man name Scott. He said yes Strayer specialize in that degree. Here it is 2020. I realize why he taking so many business class and not nothing to do with social worker. So one of the success coaches stated that they never had classes there for that. I e-mailed the man that use to be the dean at Lithonia campus. He ask for the name. Said he was going contact me back and look into the case. Never did. It's been 6 months now.

Another part to this story Strayer have pulled my 2017 tax information. Claimed something was missing, I been going back and forward from the IRS to my tax people. They said it's Strayer. They don't know what they are doing. Even IRS question it. So my daughter financial aid they claim she can't get until we continue to bring the same documents they have have took a million time up there. Every time I take one thing it's another one. I feel this school shouldn't even be in business, they pull the same thing with me, because they didn't want to pay the grad fund and my daughter suppose to be getting grad fund this semester. So I am fed up with them. I am transferring my daughter and will find a lawyer if I find out they took money from her financial aid, its something they are covering up.

Strayer University author review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 120 years of experience in higher education and learning, Strayer University has developed a highly respected reputation.

• Regionally accredited: The same accrediting agency that is used by top schools like Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Temple also provides Strayer University's accreditation.

• Online price calculator: With price being such a driving force in higher education enrollment decisions, the option to calculate the cost before enrollment is ideal.

• Online application: You can fill out an application for enrollment online, so you don't need to spend hours on the phone answering questions before finding out if you are eligible.

• Masters degree programs: For virtually every bachelor's degree program, there is a corresponding masters degree available at Strayer University.

• Online chat service: If you have any questions when looking over the material, they offer 24/7 online chat to help you determine your eligibility and answer any questions you might have.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team