Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
2.17/5

University of Phoenix

The University of Phoenix offers many online degree programs. To learn more about these programs, read University of Phoenix BS in Accounting reviews, University of Phoenix MBA reviews and University of Phoenix School of Nursing reviews. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

1470 University of Phoenix Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have attended the University of Phoenix since 2017, and I will receive my Bachelor's degree in two months. So far, my experience has been rewarding. I have also worked very hard, and I have maintained a 3.9 GPA. After attending for almost two years, these are the pros and cons I have observed:

Pros

1. Online college is great! I am a working adult with a small child. I do not have time to take classes at a brick and mortar college. It would take too much time out of my schedule. UOP is good for those who have already attended college, have started a career and are looking to perhaps get to that next step professionally.

2. My advisor is thorough, professional, and caring. She has helped me through this entire process. From the start, she provided me with helpful information about how to complete my degree promptly. I cannot thank her enough.

3. The majority of the instructors are there to provide help. When I first started, I had a lot of questions. Some were even available to speak with me over the phone. Most responded to my messages quickly.

4. As long as you follow directions and put forth the effort, you will earn good grades.

5. The curriculum is the same as other colleges and universities. UOP is accredited.

Cons

1. Some employers still have a bias towards the University of Phoenix and other for-profits schools. Certain hiring managers and recruiters will pick graduates from other schools first. So I would recommend going to a state or private college if you can. I do not recommend the University of Phoenix to anyone under the age of 25. I would encourage people 18 - 24 years of age to go to a traditional four-year college or enroll in community college and then transfer.

2. The team assignments are frustrating. Since UOP accepts anyone with a high school diploma or GED, a significant amount of students are indifferent, have poor work ethics, and are not good writers. Therefore, it is extremely annoying to work on a learning team with people who are only attending to receive their degree and do not care about the grades that he/she receives on an assignment. If you are someone who cares about grades, then you will have to take on additional responsibilities while working on team assignments.

3. If you decide to attend UOP with the hopes of getting a well-paying job immediately, then this might not be the place for you.

I notice that a lot of complaints are about the financial aspects of attending UOP. I cannot comment on this based on my experience because my employer paid for 80% - 85% of my tuition. I have heard that the recruitment process at most non-profit colleges is unethical...and that needs to change. My assessment of UOP is that you get what you give. If a person expects that a degree will be a magic wand that will transform their lives completely, then they are deeply mistaken. Earning a degree will be a significant accomplishment for me. Do I expect to advance in my career? I would hope so, but I have no expectations. Fortunately, I already have a career, and I earn more money than a lot of people with degrees from prestigious colleges. People should have realistic expectations of a for-profit college. If this is your only option, then make the best of it, or you should work harder to get into a private, nonprofit university.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I enrolled at UoP in 2015 to get an AA in Business with a certificate in retail fundamentals. It took me years to figure out what I wanted to go for and I am glad that I picked this school. During my time there, all of my classes were online. I took a test which stated that I was able to have 5 week courses instead of 8 weeks. My tuition pricing was not high and was decent for 60 credits. I did go through a few academic counselors, but only because 2 of them were in school themselves for higher degrees and the last one, Daniel was amazing. He always called to check in and ask me how I was doing, and if I felt that I needed help somewhere or if he could provide me with study sessions and whatnot. I attended classes online because at the time I had 2 jobs and was helping to care for my family.

I ended up getting sick and having surgery which put me on complete bed rest with no stress for over 6 weeks. I spoke with my counselor and I went on leave. (Which is what you should do if you are unable to complete the class as it does not penalize you.) Not even 6 months later, my grandmother passed away. Again my counselor let me have leave and after a month or so, I went back to my classes.

I graduated in February 2018 with my degree and certificate and honestly it was a great experience for me. Some people state that the classes are easy. They are not easy, if anything they are a little harder as you are forced to following instructions to a certain degree and all of their rules are straightforward and easy to follow. Post to class, do your work, apply yourself. Now, I am in the process of thinking about re-enrolling to get a different degree, even though my business degree allowed me to get the job I have now. It is because of that degree that I make well over the minimum wage in my state which was just raised to $9.25/hr. I also enjoy the alumni benefits which offer discounts and much more. Plus now with their tuition being around $350/credit, it is not bad at all.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

It never ceases to amaze me the lack of accountability people choose to use as a scapegoat for their fallbacks. Obviously I would not generalize and state every negative review is false, however I do know two people from personal experience, one of which is my own cousin, who flunked out of this school for not completing their work, and now bashes the school. If UOP has any problems, it is their open door enrollment, unfortunately they get lazy irresponsible people expecting to get a degree by simply paying for it, and when they fall flat on their face since the work is not easy, they turn around and do nothing but bash the institution.

I will tell you about my experience with UOP, I received my BS in Business/Accounting, and then went on to receive my MBA. As soon as I completed my accounting degree I was offered a position as an accountant that required a degree, I was also tested by the HR department before being offered the job. I would also like to add my employer reimbursed 50% of my tuition, in which they will only do this for a properly accredited institution, and other colleagues were denied the reimbursement from other online schools such as Kaplan University. I am lucky enough to work for such a wonderful professional organization that they threw me a graduation party, and have never made me feel as if my degree means nothing.

My enrollment counselor with UOP was amazing, she walked me through the process step by step explaining everything in detail. I would also like to add, I had to provide my high school transcripts to enroll to prove I graduated. I knew I was taking out loans, I was never mislead whatsoever. Bottom line, I feel sorry for UOP for the simple fact that it has so many alumni choose to bash the institution, all of you need to take a long hard look in the mirror! I mean really what does it say about you that you chose to go to a school you now call a joke? Did you not do your research before picking a college? What were your other options?

I am seriously doubting you had many options at all. I highly doubt you were unaware you were taking out loans, you signed the paper, and now you do not want to fulfill your obligations and repay the loan you agreed to, all boils down to one simple word… ACCOUNTABILITY! Also a degree does not guarantee a job, I know someone very intelligent, has a masters from UMSL, and she cannot find a job in her field, but she is not going around bashing her school, and blaming them.

IF you want to receive a degree from UOP you will work for it, and do not believe all of the negative reviews. I never encountered any of the outrageous accusations I have read in reviews, and neither did my colleague who also graduated from UOP, although she also knows someone who now bashes the school because they flunked out, we sure have that in common. I actually just read a review from a former UOP student, or so they say, that actually used the word retarded when describing some of the other classmates, this person sounds real sophisticated don’t they? I am ashamed to say I attended the same school as someone so ignorant and hateful, and from what their review read, they did not graduate. Surprise surprise. The school does not fail you for no reason at all, yes if you do not meet your participation/attendance and you receive F’s on your assignments, well then you fail, just like any other college.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have had a wonderful experience with the University of Phoenix online. I have looked at all of the positive and negative reviews I had time for which I guess are about 50/50. I have never had any problems with financial aid at all. I have had to pay a few bucks out of pocket, but it wasn't a big deal to me. Years ago I took a few classes and dropped out, but it wasn't because it was a bad school. It was because I wasn't ready to commit to school. Now that I am older, I feel ready for school and all of the staff there are super friendly, eager to help, and want you to succeed! I have gone to a junior college on campus before and online classes are a lot more work. Before I came back I did pay the money I owed them and got my credits back.

The negative experiences are more likely the fault of the people that wrote them not taking responsibility for themselves. I wasn't provided a tutor when I attended another college and the University of Phoenix isn't responsible for providing one. They do offer one for the bachelor's program and have many other helpful programs to help you with your struggles. I do not regret going to this school at all! They applied all of my previous credits from my other schools and I have earned my Associates degree so far and I am working on my Bachelor's degree now. I have also used online tutors as well to help me get through a tough class. You have to use every resource you can find.

There is so much work to do that I don't know how I will keep up with work and school at the same time with my Bachelors like I did with my Associates. I discount every negative review here as written by bitter, spiteful people, that are just lying. I am also mentally ill and the school has a program that helps me through that too! I think all of the negative publicity this school has gotten is not bound by a solid foundation.

There are all kinds of teachers/professors at any school you go to. Their class, their rules, plain and simple. The class I am in now CYB/130 the teacher is really super nice and very helpful to me! It's not really her responsibility to go the extra mile. You can't expect that with every teacher. It never hurts to try, but eventually you might run across an instructor that is a bit more rigid. That will happen at any school. You can't just complain about this school being a bad school without even fairly looking at other schools in reality. These vile lies tarnish the school's reputation, and aren't true with my experience at all! If you go to another school with a negative attitude changing schools won't help. You need to change your outlook with a reality check.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I am with the University of Phoenix since 2017, and I cannot complain. Ok, this year it took a little bit longer to get reimbursed but there was a reason for. The accepted Pell Grand got awarded so that they had to return the first funds and then put the newly awarded funds (I believe $96 more) to the student's account. It can be annoying when you have to depend on this funds. Like I do, but in the end, it was very quick. All representatives are very nice and friendly and they provide their names, you also get a copy of the chat into your email. Say, that you have to prove something, you can. I have overall only great experiences with the University of Phoenix.

The faculty staff is always very helpful, they call you back in a timely manner, and also the Professors are great. My academic advisor is giving me a call every 2 months to check on me if I have special needs or questions. I do not understand the problems from the other writer. I cannot say a bad word, I have only great experiences. During Hurricane Harvey, the University offered me a Computer so that I could still hold on to my degree (3.98) after they reimbursed me my financial aid, I had to send it back, but I could use it for at least 3 months for free.

I agree that not all classes make sense, but if you put hard work and effort in, you can be successful and like one of the other writers said, you have to be one step ahead. Do your homework, stay 3 times a week in contact with your team or class members for the participation points and get your assignment done. If you ever have a problem, contact your advisor, professor/instructor they work with you. I went to a different College before and can only say that the University of Phoenix was the best decision ever.

From providing helpful tools (Grammarly, tutoring, workshops...) over excellent service, I cannot complain and can only recommend this school. One thing you have to do is to inform yourself to see if this degree will be accepted in your state. Otherwise, pick something else, or go to a different institution, but please do not make the mistake and blame the faculty staff. They are excellent and very helpful, they take their time if it is in a chat, phone call or via Skype. I am a big fan and would recommend this Universtiy to everyone that is willing to work hard for their degree. You will not get anything for free. It is maybe a little bit more expensive as a community college, but you have excellent service. You get what you pay for, and I can only say, I got what I wanted and expected. 100% satisfied!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?

Original review: July 9, 2019

Twice I've taken a class with the University of Phoenix and been dropped after completing three weeks of work and receiving an A - full credit on the assignments I turned in. Why? Because I did my work, including responding to classmates on the discussion board, early. I turned in work on a Monday instead of Tuesday, which is strangely the beginning of the University of Phoenix week. This cost me almost a $1000. The administration was very friendly, but did nothing to help me. They are a profit-making industry and do not care about education or their students at all. I will never work with them again.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I would not recommend this school to anyone. They were very rude to me. They made me feel very uncomfortable and I would say this is the worst online school. They seriously need to shut down. The whole thing was just weird. The whole thing was uncomfortable and a difficult process. I would not recommend this school to anyone because it is just a big waste of time.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I’m 53 still paying for student loans from 2005 so this College Choice has been the one decision I regret. It was one of the only online choices back then so I was able to work, raise children and obtain my Bachelor's degree. It was difficult and took many sacrifices, but I did it. The regret is because unfortunately they had a bad reputation of not being a “real college” - many employers viewed my application the same as someone without a degree so here I am at 53, paying back the ridiculous amount they charged for a degree that only caused me financial hardship. I normally don’t leave negative reviews, but this was the worst choice I made in life and unfortunately am reminded of it year after year as I pay for degree others didn’t value.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I attended University of Phoenix 100% online for exactly a year and the experience was incredibly positive. A few months ago, I decided to move from online to on campus because the G.I. Bill pays considerably more for attending in person (on campus), opposed to only attending online. I find that attending in person doesn't really make quality use of the time you spend there (the 3.5 hours you spend there), 3 out of 4 of my campus instructors so far prefer to sort of just have "campfire discussions" for the whole class, and then you still have to do all of the actual work online (unless you are doing a class presentation). My consistent 4.0 grades have slipped considerably since transferring to the on-campus environment.

I would much rather prefer the class time be spent helping the student complete the assignments due each week opposed to the time being spent discussing things and being tossed "puzzling" questions to answer that have nothing to do with helping you get your work done for that week. So far 2 out of 4 of my instructors so far seem really stressed out, and that mental energy is absorbed by the students (or at least by me). I think this contributes to lower grades too. Overall, I would rate University of Phoenix's online experience 5 of 5 and the on-campus experience 3 of 5, thus making my overall rating 4 of 5. The University also switched over to a new website interface called Blackboard. The old interface was easy to use, this new interface (Blackboard) I feel just complicates things that don't need to be complicated. I wish they would bring the old one back!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I've gone through hoops trying to secure financial aid and federal student loans. The University of Phoenix has sent me paperwork to fill out because of my home situation during the 2016 timeframe (I reported being homeless on FAFSA because I lived in a hotel and not an apartment or house). I live with roommates now in an apartment and my mother lives in an apartment separate from me. We are two towns away and it's hard to drive every day up to her apartment because of work schedules, projects that need to be done, etc.

By UoPX policy, I am not an independent student because I'm 22 (I must be 24), so my immediate parent had to report her own income, and she did not file taxes for 2016. When we both reported the income, UoPX rejected it several times. Once because my parent didn't specify her name in the right box, once for having a scribble where I miswrote my IRN, and once because the documents were not uploaded in one file but two files.

Because I could not get the paperwork done in time, my tuition bill has gone to collections. I told the collection agency about my situation, and they (not Phoenix, the collection agency) told me that financial aid stops once I take a leave of absence, which is what UoPX told me to do so that I could get enough time to fill out my paperwork.

In short, I felt truly scammed into a bill that I now can't afford. I could have only been able to attend if the Pell Grant and the Federal Loan was applied. It was sad too because the class that I did take at UoPX was great. I learned a lot from it. That being said, once this bill is settled I will not be enrolling again, if only not to deal with the Financial Advisors again.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Attended since 2/2017 and graduated 6/2019. Had a great experience, material was challenging and instructors were great and very helpful. I highly recommend this institution for working adults who want to further their educational experience in a positive environment.

Original review: May 29, 2019

First of all my paperwork was told to me by financial aid that it is to be held until all paperwork be received. I was told this after a month into my classes. They didn’t even notify me of the paperwork I needed to finish the process until I made countless calls. Until someone finally said let me investigate and later found out my second month of classes I needed to send my birth certificate. Despite this whole time no one told me that my birth certificate is required. I contacted them after everything was finished and asked about my disbursement date. They informed me that the funds on the account would be coming to me. I waited until the disbursement date came and later found it they were charging me for two classes.

I tried calling supervisor and all head faculty to figure out why was I told that and they said it was based on verbiage being used. I asked them after all the emails and countless calls why wasn’t this explained and all they can say is maybe they miscommunicated but they did use the right verbiage. Then to top it al off my Veterans Affairs was contacted after two months of attending and said the reason I didn’t receive the funds was because they were waiting on the Veterans Affairs. After contacting the Veterans Administration they said my enrollment was submitted late and that’s why I had not been compensated for schooling. I feel as though this whole process has just frustrating. I advise going to another school. Please don't go to this school.

Original review: May 26, 2019

The school is too expensive. The online classes are not suitable for full-time employees. The new blackboard system is an epic fail. The students are encountering many challenges and it’s difficult to complete assignments and collaborate with the assigned teams. The advisors and the Tech Support team do a great job making the students feel as though the technical issues are the students fault. It’s a waste of money, time, effort, and energy to go through unnecessary hassles that are not beneficial for the students.

Original review: May 17, 2019

After 4 years, I'll finally graduate. Things were ok for the most part, until they went to Blackboard instead of the proprietary classroom they had. From the start, there were technical problems with their Blackboard application. Assignments wouldn't submit correctly, labs scores wouldn't record, and all this made my grade for class plummet. When asking the Professor, all he would say was to contact support. Even though the system made the assignment late and the submission showed but couldn't be clicked on, the professor would still dock points from the grade after the error was corrected. I do not recommend this school to anyone.

Original review: May 13, 2019

The night before starting 2 classes I ended up w/ a severe concussion. I emailed my counselor the day after the classes started to withdraw. She told me I was too late and are still charging me. I have documentation from the hospital ICU I was admitted to. I also have documentation from my doctor that I couldn't read or be on a computer for several weeks. I can't access my transcripts due to this. Literally not even 24 hours after the classes started I withdrew via email. Yet they are still trying to charge me over $1200. My concussion was so bad that I couldn't walk on my own, get up or basically do very much on my own for almost a month. Yet they still expected me to complete two college courses. Please explain that to me.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I graduated with a BS in criminal justice. My career was to be part of the NYPD. However, when I signed in to start my program the "enrollment advisors" did not tell me that in order for me to be a police officer all I need is to have an associates degree, plus I would have to take a city exam...pass it. Then go through the hiring process. Therefore a BS diploma won't guarantee a job position in any police department. The enrollment advisor told me "Yes yes you can work for the FBI/CIA and also if you pursue a higher degree you would have more chances." The truth is that I have 78,000 to pay back and the NYPD won't hire me. Please don't choose this institution! Go to a regular local university and get all the info you need before you sign in any program.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I earned my associate's degree and half of my bachelor's degree from the school and I had the worst counselor in the world because she gave me the wrong advice and I still haven't got to finish my degree. I wish that I had someone to help me out and to be able to help me get back in school because there's nothing more that I would love than to obtain my bachelor's degree but I still to this day have not found that. That's why I do not recommend this school and I really do not recommend a counselor by the name of Monica. My autistic son was very sick and she gave me the wrong advice. She should have told me to take a financial hardship but instead she kept enrolling me in classes and I wound up getting withdrawn!

Original review: March 17, 2019

The University of Phoenix messed up my financial aid horribly and lost my records 7 times. This meant that in 1 year of schooling, I spent 110 days taking courses, and 250 days fighting to get my financial aid straightened out every single day. Unfortunately, the University illegally forced me to take VOLUNTARY leave of absences so they could work things out. This caused me to miss the financial aid requirement of being in school for so many days each year, making me lose ALL of my financial aid at the University of Phoenix and my current college as well. Additionally, they refused to drop my loans so I could get some sort of assistance when I transferred out, making me fight with them an additional 3 months and 72 emails before they finally did something about it. Mixing that on top of a terrible education, UoP was the absolute worst decision I have ever made in my life.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Worst school! GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! Financial Aid office is very unprofessional and unorganized. The school makes you take courses in the beginning that are nothing but a way for them to get more money and would never transfer to another college. They are a scam! They lowered tuition rates but made sure to add these ridiculous classes to make up for it. They put you in the college classes before financial aid is complete and then will send you to a collection agency within a month should financial aid not work out. By the way, the finance department is the worst department in the whole college! The enrollment advisors are super nice but that is their job so they can get you trapped in this fraudulent school.

I started back at Southern New Hampshire University, which unlike this pathetic place is nonprofit. I am super happy with that school and their professionalism. Community manager, do not even waste my or your time with your reply about emailing whoever, I have been emailing this school for months and like another reviewer said it's a call center and no one actually knows anything and all you get is computerized responses! For anyone looking into this school, please just do not!

I have proof of all the information in this, with screenshots and letters and I have no problem showing you if it will save someone else from making this same mistake! If you don't want to take my word for it, look on Google at all the rating websites and review websites. They have more bad reviews than good. I did not make it this far but I hear if you graduate from here, your degree is looked at as a joke and no one will hire you! So, with all the information I hope you make a better decision than I did. I looked at all the bad reviews and just shrugged it off hoping it would be different for me and it wasn't! I hope this school gets a lawsuit, like it has in the past! I will completely involve myself should anyone want to start a class action!

Original review: March 5, 2019

This school charged $50k in tuition and won't even help with placement for volunteer field experience hours. Instead they send you emails of how much time is running out and send you names of places that are "14 miles away" when in reality, they're 30 miles away. Who has time to leave their life to gain acceptance for field placement? This school is a straight ripoff. I was so close to getting my bachelor's degree too.

Original review: March 2, 2019

The pre-requisite courses were much harder than they needed to be and cost twice as much as local colleges. I wouldn't recommend taking any general courses such as Biology or Microbiology at UofP. The nursing program was just pointless work and some of the instructors were very rude. Students were constantly failing due to final proctored exams. There were also weeks of pointless labs or classes called assessment periods that weren't worth any credits but just put in place to make the program longer and more costly. This program is expensive and pointless.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I attended for 4 years and received my bachelor's degree. If you do what you are supposed to, you won’t have any problems. Everything processed for me quickly and I did not have any financial issues. Financial aid was a breeze and everyone was helpful and nice. You get out what you put in. If I dropped courses or failed, I would not blame the school, that is all on me and I would expect to pay for the courses. I also don't use financial aid to supplement my life, I only use it to pay for my courses and I don’t take out anything extra. Guess I’m just responsible.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I have had a great experience with the University of Phoenix online programs. Rich learning environment with access to the best online libraries in the world. Challenging but rewarding academic tasks thoughtfully designed to impart the best learning. Classrooms adapted to the 21st century working scholar accessible on the go at the airports, in the taxi, at home. For the serious-minded student, the University of Phoenix is where to be. Unserious students will find a reason to complain.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I see so many negative reviews on this school, and I don’t know how. I have been at UOP for 6 months... and I haven’t had not one problem. I turn in my assignments I post in my classroom. As a matter of fact I have had some really good teachers here and my whole enrollment process was easy, because I guess I did everything I was supposed to do on time... and there are public libraries to go and use their computers if ever my laptop gives me trouble. But People seem to be staining UOP’s name for their own wrongdoings. The rules are straightforward, follow the rules... And also my academic counselor call me to check on me all the time and I have been holding a 3.9 GPA. I’m sorry to see this school bashed, because I have had no problems, I am committed to getting my degree, I don’t want to use any more money than I need to.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Where do I begin, it all started with a hidden fee I found out I had to pay because I was overpaid in my tuition and come to find out I owe 200$ back at no fault of mine. Then my car was stolen with my laptop in it and failed to post in class. Instead of the school helping me and giving me a break they dropped me from a class that I was in no danger of failing. After they failed me fast forward 5 months I just learned that I will have to pay out of pocket for this failed class adding my total plus the 200$ to over $800.00 and I have no job. When I called the finance dept they had no solutions for this nor did the finance adviser care to help. THEY STRESS THEIR STUDENTS OUT MAKING THE SCHOOL EXPERIENCE VERY BAD. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I attended UOP and had 45 credit hours total. After starting a block of classes I was informed that the school had not withheld the full amount accidentally out of my student loans, Pell Grant, and TA paid directly to them and that I owed them money. They had just begun only allowing you to borrow what was needed to pay for courses and attending full time, I used my GI Bill to survive. I reviewed their idea of records for payments received and they were insanely complicated to read and I could never track down the discrepancy they claimed occurred along the way. I wasn't satisfied that they were being straightforward with me and opted to leave. I received discounted rates for military and location for resources. They were trying to charge me for a total of 2 courses and resource fees that were not discounted. If you attend, I would recommend keeping close track of any financial aid that they receive on your behalf.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I recently stop going to UOP, because I realized that this school is out for money and they are not really into ensuring students get a great education. They have sent me to a debt collector to pay for a class that was originally paid by financial aid and now it's not covered. Which do not make sense because you cannot attend class if it is not paid for in advance. So I feel like the school is double dipping and making up rules as they go. There are cheaper and not for profit schools that you can attend and receive a better education. I would not suggest anyone enroll in this school unless you are ready to come out of pocket. If I could give this school a no stars I would.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I received my Associates Degree from UOP and although there were numerous issues - from high turnover and changes of counselors. You would never know who to email or contact for assistance. As once counselor or advisor would know all of your information, the next time you turn around you would be left not hearing from anyone at all. Then out of nowhere you would be directed to contact NEWPERSON@UOP.COM. This was constant and so often that it became a joke between students.

In addition, when I decided to go back to UOP in hopes to pursue my Bachelor's and I only decided to use them again, as my information, credits, Financial Aid documents, etc was already on file and it was easier to process rather than transfer and start over all while working both full time - part time, and taking care of a household and two teen boys. I figured I'd try, however after realizing that the program was structured again with the TEAM assignments and that my study time really wasn't set for just me and my schedule in addition to (YOU GUESSED IT) the same high turn over of staff not knowing whom to speak to about what...I decided I had enough and decided to withdraw.

While checking out other online universities and speaking with Ashford University, I decided to take a chance there to finish my 5-6 classes. I tried logging on to UOP to access what information that I could myself SINCE speaking with someone that knew my course history was pretty much null and void, when logging in the first time, my course program was set to CRIMINAL JUSTICE. HMM. I'm like I got in with the username and password and the dashboard name LISA was clearly mine. However the program information for Criminal Justice and the credits for all my previous hard work were nowhere to be found.

I printed that information and immediately called the last known person regarding this issue. "Hmm. That is strange," says the admissions counselor... Yeah ya think. I have NEVER before been in a criminal justice program. "Ok well let us see. Hmm. This needs to be submitted to our technical support team." Okay but could someone explain to ME how in the world a course or program that I never enrolled in or gave permission for (all while I was not even enrolled as a student MIND YOU) suddenly has me in this program? Admissions person, "Hmm. I don't know." Well clearly I can't change my own course information right... No that's right so clearly someone from the University has been in my account and now I can't see any of my credits or financial information from my previous courses. "Ok I am giving this to our tech team and we will get this fixed."

The next few days I try logging back in and guess what... totally LOCKED OUT. My pin nor password worked... Hmm. What is going on. I call again and again get the runaround, "Oh this should be fixed soon." Well why can't I at least view my correct information and credits and financial stuff? Are you guys changing things or what is going on as I need this information to enroll with another university and now I am being held up on my progress.

Long story short email after email and calls no one could tell me which UOP ghost changed my stuff or why. BUT how about shortly after enrolling with Ashford, they said, "Hmm. It looks like you will be out of financial aid before you are finished with your 5 courses." I only had a few courses left and no one could tell me why my financial aid and loan money was short. Was it used by UOP for something fraudulent? I am still trying to find answers or whom to contact for help. If anyone knows, please reply. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Maria ** is a great enrollment counselor. She helped me make my education happen for me. There aren't many enrollment counselors like herself. Maria is outgoing, smart, helpful, attentive, pays attention to detail, and actually does care. Maria deserves to be recognized for her work ethics. She is great. Thank you Phoenix of Arizona for her services to students.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I would prefer to give zero stars. Everything that was said about University of Phoenix is correct. As a veteran the University of Phoenix administrators refused to process my enrollment form and verify my attendance with the Veterans Affairs. As a result I was told that I had to pay for the course and I was sent a bill. The administrators are disrespectful and incompetent. I took one course at the University of Phoenix and I regret attending that place labeled as a university.

The one professor that I had was a joke. The so-called professor did not behave as a professor and had no interpersonal skills. At times it was like she did not know what was going on. Furthermore, she behave as though students were a bother to her. When she did answer questions, it was like a bother to her. There are many online schools to choose from, this crap is not one of them. If you want to be treated with respect and receive an excellent education do not choose University of Phoenix.

University of Phoenix expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since its founding in 1976, the University of Phoenix has put providing higher education to working adults at the forefront of their mission. The goal is to be convenient while still providing a quality education.

• Regionally accredited: Many online colleges pursue national accreditation instead of regional, but University of Phoenix has programs accredited by either. They are on notice regarding their regional accreditation, but they keep their accreditation while they address any issues.

• Get a doctorate: Few online colleges can offer a PhD program, but the University of Phoenix offers several options.

• Professional development courses: For those who are not interested in pursuing an additional degree program, but do need to maintain course work for professional development, this college has a range of options.

• Teaching programs: Many online programs are limited to technology, business, finance and health fields, but University of Phoenix goes outside the box to include teaching and the social sciences.

• Know admissions requirements upfront: To find out additional information about admissions, many colleges require a phone interview, but University of Phoenix publishes their requirements on their website.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs