2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.81/5

The University of Phoenix offers many online degree programs. To learn more about these programs, read University of Phoenix BS in Accounting reviews, University of Phoenix MBA reviews and University of Phoenix School of Nursing reviews.

University of Phoenix Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?

Original review: June 7, 2020

20 years ago I pursued a lifelong dream of earning a master's degree and becoming an educator at the college of education at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS). I had just finished my bachelor's degree in Sociology and was still actively taking classes in the UCCS philosophy school because of my drive for knowledge and to better myself. I initially went into the Masters program at UCCS for sociology, but decided very quickly that I wanted to actually teach future generations - not just study about it and write critiques and social essays about it to small groups of academics. I Switched graduate majors and entered the school of education.

I should've known that something was amiss when the very first professor (who shall remain nameless and is now thankfully retired from the department) told everyone in our first class on the first day that only about 10% of us "deserved" to become teachers. Even though I had a terrible first impression, I still stuck with a program for another semester before concluding that the UCCS college education just wasn't going to give me the kind of education I needed to make a difference in the world.

So, Being the kind of person who had been running his own business with his father for close to 10 years, I decided to look elsewhere to earn the necessary credentials to enter the education profession. Enter the University of Phoenix. It can't be stressed enough: at the time this college was absolutely on the cutting edge of higher education. It was able to deliver curriculum and credits in a hybrid model online where you would do your work a couple days a week in person and still have to complete extra work at night with groups.

I have to say that although the University of phoenix has received much deserved negative scrutiny for being a "diploma mill" in its schools of business etc..., I found the education masters program in Colorado Springs to be highly complex and rather difficult to complete. In fact, of the two hundred or so students in my graduating class of 2004 only about half actually completed the Masters. Honestly, the program was hard as hell because it was designed to be just as difficult and valid of an educational training program as any four-year university or graduate school, but it was marketed to us working professionals who already had been busy working in actual careers for a few years. I remember completing HUNDREDS of hours of observational practicum as well as student teaching before being credentialed.

There is a caveat to this story. I have to say that since the early 2000's, the UCCS college of education has vastly improved - and I am now friends with a number of different faculty members in the UCCS Ed Dept. Although as with any University there is still "dead weight," I would rate it much higher NOW than a degree from Univ of Phoenix. in education. That said, in the early 2000s the University of Phoenix was a much superior education program to UCCS. And I must say the proof is in the pudding. Since earning my master's degree as well as my principal's license back in 2004, I've gone on to enjoy a very successful career in education. I saw my salary raise each year because of my credentials earned at Univ. of Phoenix and also had opportunities open up to me as a college lecturer. None of that would've been possible if I had simply gone from my teaching license as UCCS was offering back then.

As far as the structure of the Master's program at the University of Phoenix, It took me approximately 4 1/2 years to complete. After this I was identified as an educational leader by the now retired director of the program Dr. Genevieve ** PhD. and I went on to earn my principles license. I spent approximately $25,000 getting these credentials, which truly allowed me to realize my dream of becoming a teacher and future influencer. When I look back at it now, I realize that the University of Phoenix was an unbelievably "Best Buy" value for what I gained and what I actually paid. I was able to secure Stafford Loans at 1.625% interest. At UCCS I was looking at taking out loans in excess of $50,000 and that interest rates that were closer to 5%. The financial choice was clear back in the early 2000s.

Today I must say it is clearly a different story, but I would never stop anyone from earning a degree at either institution. Investing in one's self is truly priceless and you will want to shop around as a frugal, financially shrewd consumer to make sure that you're getting the best value for your hard earned dollar. Clearly, anyone reading my review will need to do their own research to make sure they are making the best financial move. But I will simply say that any prospective student should visit the campus as well as speak to the faculty before making any educational decision.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

University of Phoenix is the best college I have ever attended. People who say this university is easy, was not telling the truth. The negative review are lies. I am a straight A's student with a high G.P.A and I must say the courses at the university are intense. You really got to put in the work, If you don't, you will fail. All the bashing and negative feedback towards U.O.P once lead me to believe it was true, and at first gave me a negative reaction, until I experience it for myself. U.O.P is an overall good college and would definitely suggest this college to anyone who is ambitious, motivated and college ready.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I am currently an online student at UOP. The option to do online school has helped balance my work life, mom life, church life, and school life. I honestly think if I didn't have the option to do online school, I probably wouldn't have pursue getting my degree. What I like about the program is how it is outlined, you do one class at a time instead of 3 or 4 classes through a course of a semester or quarter. The 5 week course allows me to concentrate on one subject at a time instead of 3 or 4. Although the course is accelerated through 5 weeks, I'm able to put my attention to 1 course at a time.

I know there are a lot of negative comments about the new blackboard. Honestly, I think it works a lot better and gives me less time reading discussions and concentrating more on the course reading. But like all things, you need to apply yourself and put in the work. As a manager, to me this shows dedication and drive to be able to get through these classes. However, online school isn't for everyone. Make sure you're doing your research before committing to any school. I spent almost a year before I decided on taking my degree program with UOP.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I will be graduating with my B.S. in Public Administration next March and have had a great journey with UoP so far! The professors are all very knowledgeable in their fields, are very supportive, and the online platform works well for me (being that I have a full-time job and no time to make it to a brick and mortar college campus.) I have absolutely no complaints about the program, the online platform, or anything in general related to my experience at UoP. It has been an incredible experience! I have learned so much and have had to work hard to keep up my GPA, just as I would at any other school. I highly recommend this school to anyone who is looking to advance in their career.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I was reading the online review early this evening on this site. I was discouraged by some of what I was reading. What al lot of folks fail to understand is if you are a student, seeking employment for a specific job. You need to do some homework. I am currently a UOPX student, working on a MA in education. I called my home state DOE to ensure the degree I was seeking leads to obtaining a teaching license in the state. I spoke with teachers I know and they said I am good to go. The issue with with the reviews mostly are people just not doing their due diligence and checking and ensuring the degree is a match for the career they are pursuing. Furthermore, if you go to school, you have to pay. If you don't most likely you are noting going to like the person that calls you to let you know you owe money. That doesn't mean a school is a bad school because they expect people to pay their bills.

Also, its true UOPX had some issues with blackboard, which are now resolved. The program works well now and is better in many ways than the old program, it just takes some getting use too that's all. Lastly, degrees from UOPX are excepted by all universities and employers. UOPX is an accredited university. If it were not accredited. You could not even apply for a federal student loan or use Military TA or the GI Bill. Some of reviews on here are simply ignorant. They don't realize that the programs are accredited, therefore meet a standard, which obviously a few people could not meet the standard and moved onto another school, leaving a trail of negative comments. Most likely not realizing that all that complaining gets back to employers, which tarnishes a reputation of school for the simply fact that people are ignorant.

I am almost done with my graduate degree. I have no issues and the course materials and content are relevant and meet HLC accreditation standards. I will be employable when I graduate, so long as my resume and self are prepared to join the workforce. A degree is not guarantee employment in itself. You still have to do the things employers expect out of future employees.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

Twenty weeks ago, I was told that I would not have to pay anything to complete my degree. They said Pell and my loan would cover everything. I started my last class 4 weeks ago. The finance department, said that I have a balance of $745. I paid $630 of that, now I'm on my last week and now I owe $397. They adjust their billing to line their own pockets. Do your research before you sign your life away. I refuse to pay them $397. I know it sounds petty and dumb, but right is right and wrong is wrong. They are preying on innocent students who want more out of life. They only care about numbers. Stay away. Once you sign those loan papers, your livelihood is at stake.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

Hi All,

With all due respect to all negative reviewers, I would simplify my experience with the university by few words "I have achieved the target", which is having an accredited degree allows me to apply to higher positions in any company irrespective of the name of the university, as once you apply to any position, your capabilities will speak not the name of your university! If you are looking to "branding" your certificate, believe me, that will not do any help as the final word will be ALWAYS to "your experience and what you really know", nobody cares about "from where you have come!" They care about "where you are now".

Regards,

William

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I attended classes at the Pine Island and Cypress Creek locations and Graduated in 2006. I am still waiting for them to send me my Diploma. According to their customer service department, I did not do the exit interview. They have no record of it. I fulfilled all the requirements, but despite this I have to pay for copies of my transcript just to prove that I even attended this institution. The last customer service rep told me I would need to travel to their head office to get the matter resolved. This means travelling from Florida to Phoenix Arizona. I earned 123 credits, received a piece of paper during the graduation ceremony. Finished my final class. Had the exit interview. Still no diploma. Student **

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I am really surprised at the bad rap these guys have gotten over the years. As someone who attended a few different schools, I can assure you, you get no lesser of an education here than anywhere else. People have this weird perception of a stigma against online education or something its really bizarre. The school is accredited and meets the standards that are set. I don't know why they think it's any different than a school you actually physically attend. I've done both. I didn't notice any difference other than UoP was a lot more convenient to my work schedule. Honestly, I think it's a just some kind of bias.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

As a military spouse, I never had anyone to try to force me to take a course with expectations of being hired after graduation. I have a Master's in Health Administration. You get what you put into your classes.

University of Phoenix author review by ConsumerAffairs

Since its founding in 1976, the University of Phoenix has put providing higher education to working adults at the forefront of their mission. The goal is to be convenient while still providing a quality education.

• Regionally accredited: Many online colleges pursue national accreditation instead of regional, but University of Phoenix has programs accredited by either. They are on notice regarding their regional accreditation, but they keep their accreditation while they address any issues.

• Get a doctorate: Few online colleges can offer a PhD program, but the University of Phoenix offers several options.

• Professional development courses: For those who are not interested in pursuing an additional degree program, but do need to maintain course work for professional development, this college has a range of options.

• Teaching programs: Many online programs are limited to technology, business, finance and health fields, but University of Phoenix goes outside the box to include teaching and the social sciences.

• Know admissions requirements upfront: To find out additional information about admissions, many colleges require a phone interview, but University of Phoenix publishes their requirements on their website.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team