Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
2.20/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

University of Phoenix

The University of Phoenix offers many online degree programs. To learn more about these programs, read University of Phoenix BS in Accounting reviews, University of Phoenix MBA reviews and University of Phoenix School of Nursing reviews. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

University of Phoenix Reviews

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I was reading the online review early this evening on this site. I was discouraged by some of what I was reading. What al lot of folks fail to understand is if you are a student, seeking employment for a specific job. You need to do some homework. I am currently a UOPX student, working on a MA in education. I called my home state DOE to ensure the degree I was seeking leads to obtaining a teaching license in the state. I spoke with teachers I know and they said I am good to go. The issue with with the reviews mostly are people just not doing their due diligence and checking and ensuring the degree is a match for the career they are pursuing. Furthermore, if you go to school, you have to pay. If you don't most likely you are noting going to like the person that calls you to let you know you owe money. That doesn't mean a school is a bad school because they expect people to pay their bills.

Also, its true UOPX had some issues with blackboard, which are now resolved. The program works well now and is better in many ways than the old program, it just takes some getting use too that's all. Lastly, degrees from UOPX are excepted by all universities and employers. UOPX is an accredited university. If it were not accredited. You could not even apply for a federal student loan or use Military TA or the GI Bill. Some of reviews on here are simply ignorant. They don't realize that the programs are accredited, therefore meet a standard, which obviously a few people could not meet the standard and moved onto another school, leaving a trail of negative comments. Most likely not realizing that all that complaining gets back to employers, which tarnishes a reputation of school for the simply fact that people are ignorant.

I am almost done with my graduate degree. I have no issues and the course materials and content are relevant and meet HLC accreditation standards. I will be employable when I graduate, so long as my resume and self are prepared to join the workforce. A degree is not guarantee employment in itself. You still have to do the things employers expect out of future employees.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I attended University of Phoenix 100% online for exactly a year and the experience was incredibly positive. A few months ago, I decided to move from online to on campus because the G.I. Bill pays considerably more for attending in person (on campus), opposed to only attending online. I find that attending in person doesn't really make quality use of the time you spend there (the 3.5 hours you spend there), 3 out of 4 of my campus instructors so far prefer to sort of just have "campfire discussions" for the whole class, and then you still have to do all of the actual work online (unless you are doing a class presentation). My consistent 4.0 grades have slipped considerably since transferring to the on-campus environment.

I would much rather prefer the class time be spent helping the student complete the assignments due each week opposed to the time being spent discussing things and being tossed "puzzling" questions to answer that have nothing to do with helping you get your work done for that week. So far 2 out of 4 of my instructors so far seem really stressed out, and that mental energy is absorbed by the students (or at least by me). I think this contributes to lower grades too. Overall, I would rate University of Phoenix's online experience 5 of 5 and the on-campus experience 3 of 5, thus making my overall rating 4 of 5. The University also switched over to a new website interface called Blackboard. The old interface was easy to use, this new interface (Blackboard) I feel just complicates things that don't need to be complicated. I wish they would bring the old one back!

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have attended the University of Phoenix since 2017, and I will receive my Bachelor's degree in two months. So far, my experience has been rewarding. I have also worked very hard, and I have maintained a 3.9 GPA. After attending for almost two years, these are the pros and cons I have observed:

Pros

1. Online college is great! I am a working adult with a small child. I do not have time to take classes at a brick and mortar college. It would take too much time out of my schedule. UOP is good for those who have already attended college, have started a career and are looking to perhaps get to that next step professionally.

2. My advisor is thorough, professional, and caring. She has helped me through this entire process. From the start, she provided me with helpful information about how to complete my degree promptly. I cannot thank her enough.

3. The majority of the instructors are there to provide help. When I first started, I had a lot of questions. Some were even available to speak with me over the phone. Most responded to my messages quickly.

4. As long as you follow directions and put forth the effort, you will earn good grades.

5. The curriculum is the same as other colleges and universities. UOP is accredited.

Cons

1. Some employers still have a bias towards the University of Phoenix and other for-profits schools. Certain hiring managers and recruiters will pick graduates from other schools first. So I would recommend going to a state or private college if you can. I do not recommend the University of Phoenix to anyone under the age of 25. I would encourage people 18 - 24 years of age to go to a traditional four-year college or enroll in community college and then transfer.

2. The team assignments are frustrating. Since UOP accepts anyone with a high school diploma or GED, a significant amount of students are indifferent, have poor work ethics, and are not good writers. Therefore, it is extremely annoying to work on a learning team with people who are only attending to receive their degree and do not care about the grades that he/she receives on an assignment. If you are someone who cares about grades, then you will have to take on additional responsibilities while working on team assignments.

3. If you decide to attend UOP with the hopes of getting a well-paying job immediately, then this might not be the place for you.

I notice that a lot of complaints are about the financial aspects of attending UOP. I cannot comment on this based on my experience because my employer paid for 80% - 85% of my tuition. I have heard that the recruitment process at most non-profit colleges is unethical...and that needs to change. My assessment of UOP is that you get what you give. If a person expects that a degree will be a magic wand that will transform their lives completely, then they are deeply mistaken. Earning a degree will be a significant accomplishment for me. Do I expect to advance in my career? I would hope so, but I have no expectations. Fortunately, I already have a career, and I earn more money than a lot of people with degrees from prestigious colleges. People should have realistic expectations of a for-profit college. If this is your only option, then make the best of it, or you should work harder to get into a private, nonprofit university.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I enrolled at UoP in 2015 to get an AA in Business with a certificate in retail fundamentals. It took me years to figure out what I wanted to go for and I am glad that I picked this school. During my time there, all of my classes were online. I took a test which stated that I was able to have 5 week courses instead of 8 weeks. My tuition pricing was not high and was decent for 60 credits. I did go through a few academic counselors, but only because 2 of them were in school themselves for higher degrees and the last one, Daniel was amazing. He always called to check in and ask me how I was doing, and if I felt that I needed help somewhere or if he could provide me with study sessions and whatnot. I attended classes online because at the time I had 2 jobs and was helping to care for my family.

I ended up getting sick and having surgery which put me on complete bed rest with no stress for over 6 weeks. I spoke with my counselor and I went on leave. (Which is what you should do if you are unable to complete the class as it does not penalize you.) Not even 6 months later, my grandmother passed away. Again my counselor let me have leave and after a month or so, I went back to my classes.

I graduated in February 2018 with my degree and certificate and honestly it was a great experience for me. Some people state that the classes are easy. They are not easy, if anything they are a little harder as you are forced to following instructions to a certain degree and all of their rules are straightforward and easy to follow. Post to class, do your work, apply yourself. Now, I am in the process of thinking about re-enrolling to get a different degree, even though my business degree allowed me to get the job I have now. It is because of that degree that I make well over the minimum wage in my state which was just raised to $9.25/hr. I also enjoy the alumni benefits which offer discounts and much more. Plus now with their tuition being around $350/credit, it is not bad at all.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

It never ceases to amaze me the lack of accountability people choose to use as a scapegoat for their fallbacks. Obviously I would not generalize and state every negative review is false, however I do know two people from personal experience, one of which is my own cousin, who flunked out of this school for not completing their work, and now bashes the school. If UOP has any problems, it is their open door enrollment, unfortunately they get lazy irresponsible people expecting to get a degree by simply paying for it, and when they fall flat on their face since the work is not easy, they turn around and do nothing but bash the institution.

I will tell you about my experience with UOP, I received my BS in Business/Accounting, and then went on to receive my MBA. As soon as I completed my accounting degree I was offered a position as an accountant that required a degree, I was also tested by the HR department before being offered the job. I would also like to add my employer reimbursed 50% of my tuition, in which they will only do this for a properly accredited institution, and other colleagues were denied the reimbursement from other online schools such as Kaplan University. I am lucky enough to work for such a wonderful professional organization that they threw me a graduation party, and have never made me feel as if my degree means nothing.

My enrollment counselor with UOP was amazing, she walked me through the process step by step explaining everything in detail. I would also like to add, I had to provide my high school transcripts to enroll to prove I graduated. I knew I was taking out loans, I was never mislead whatsoever. Bottom line, I feel sorry for UOP for the simple fact that it has so many alumni choose to bash the institution, all of you need to take a long hard look in the mirror! I mean really what does it say about you that you chose to go to a school you now call a joke? Did you not do your research before picking a college? What were your other options?

I am seriously doubting you had many options at all. I highly doubt you were unaware you were taking out loans, you signed the paper, and now you do not want to fulfill your obligations and repay the loan you agreed to, all boils down to one simple word… ACCOUNTABILITY! Also a degree does not guarantee a job, I know someone very intelligent, has a masters from UMSL, and she cannot find a job in her field, but she is not going around bashing her school, and blaming them.

IF you want to receive a degree from UOP you will work for it, and do not believe all of the negative reviews. I never encountered any of the outrageous accusations I have read in reviews, and neither did my colleague who also graduated from UOP, although she also knows someone who now bashes the school because they flunked out, we sure have that in common. I actually just read a review from a former UOP student, or so they say, that actually used the word retarded when describing some of the other classmates, this person sounds real sophisticated don’t they? I am ashamed to say I attended the same school as someone so ignorant and hateful, and from what their review read, they did not graduate. Surprise surprise. The school does not fail you for no reason at all, yes if you do not meet your participation/attendance and you receive F’s on your assignments, well then you fail, just like any other college.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I am about 2.5 years into my 4 year degree. I loved the first 2 years and was breezing through my classes and had no doubt I was going to finish my degree with a high GPA. Recently the format for online classes has changed. Every course now has team assignments where you are thrown in with a random group of people from all over the country who also have jobs, families, and are in different time zones. This has been the worst experience for me. Online courses are not the right format for this learning style and I would say most people who choose online courses do so because they need to be able to work on their own time around their work and family schedules.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I am a retired Army soldier and I attended UOP and received both my Bachelor's (2011) degree masters degrees (2014). I attend class for both degrees in the class room because I wanted a more personal experience. I love the interaction among my classmates. UOP is not like any other college programs I've attended. The lectures at UOP became open discussions among all of us. Those discussions were extremely refreshing, they made learning truly easy to understand and capture. The program formats and materials made it connectable, relate-able to career situations. The small group settings was awesome, by the end of the program my teammates felt like family, we shared a lot of great times in and out of the class room.

I've recommended UOP to several of my army buddies, friends and wife, many have, all of them are doing extremely well in their careers. If you not sure go visit a location or several locations. Talk to the students, ask questions, walk into the computer labs and you will see real learning going on because that's what I did before I choose University of Phoenix. The staff and Professors are true professionals. Many of the professors actually work in the career field for which they are instructing you're getting what's current in the industry now. Lastly the relationships you develop should you attend in the classroom classes are boundless, an unlimited value friends for life.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I took a python class at UOP and now have written three D apps from the knowledge gained from my software development classes at UOP. I will say that I had to dedicate and take the initiative to read and do every assignment and pay attention to every detail. The thing about online schools is that it's up to the person to truly apply themselves. That is while the student is in school and after they graduate. I have read a lot of people saying businesses don't take their education at UOP serious, but it is your job to make them take you serious. Keep calling apply yourself and don't give up. You worked hard for that degree and when they finally give you a chance prove them that they are wrong. I finish school in June and have a job in IT lined up. UOP reports 57% job success after graduation. I hear all kinds of stories from everyone that finishes school saying they can't find a job in their field for this or that excuse but it's just that an excuse!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Firstly, classes through the online program at UOP are kind of a complete joke. I did not learn a single thing. It all felt like busywork. Secondly, they are incredibly expensive for what they are offering. I withdrew from the university during the first week of a course (at the start of the week, way before it ended) and they charged me nearly $400 for the class - that I didn't even start. It's incredibly frustrating and they will not waive that. They do offer a payment plan if that's what you're looking for.

Additionally, professors are not helpful and take forever to respond, and by the time they do, the assignment due date has already passed. There are so many "filler" classes that had no purpose. The only good thing about the program is that each class is only 5 weeks, but you don't get any breaks, besides a week in winter. I feel like if you're looking for an easy but expensive way out, then this program is for you. If not, go somewhere else! Do not buy into this fake program.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I wanted to complete my education and as I have 3 kids and was working at the time was a good idea for me. So I ended my BBA and MBA at University of Phoenix with a 3.62 GPA. However it is like I didn't nothing. To look for a better job as soon as they see University of Phoenix in my resume that put the sign "idiot" in my forehead....Seven years ago I graduated and my diploma is good as a toilet paper. Don't waste your money here please. I have a loan that I can't pay because I can't find a job with their studies reference.

University of Phoenix expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since its founding in 1976, the University of Phoenix has put providing higher education to working adults at the forefront of their mission. The goal is to be convenient while still providing a quality education.

• Regionally accredited: Many online colleges pursue national accreditation instead of regional, but University of Phoenix has programs accredited by either. They are on notice regarding their regional accreditation, but they keep their accreditation while they address any issues.

• Get a doctorate: Few online colleges can offer a PhD program, but the University of Phoenix offers several options.

• Professional development courses: For those who are not interested in pursuing an additional degree program, but do need to maintain course work for professional development, this college has a range of options.

• Teaching programs: Many online programs are limited to technology, business, finance and health fields, but University of Phoenix goes outside the box to include teaching and the social sciences.

• Know admissions requirements upfront: To find out additional information about admissions, many colleges require a phone interview, but University of Phoenix publishes their requirements on their website.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs