2.21/5

University of Phoenix

The University of Phoenix offers many online degree programs. To learn more about these programs, read University of Phoenix BS in Accounting reviews, University of Phoenix MBA reviews and University of Phoenix School of Nursing reviews. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

1458 University of Phoenix Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 22, 2019

I earned my associate's degree and half of my bachelor's degree from the school and I had the worst counselor in the world because she gave me the wrong advice and I still haven't got to finish my degree. I wish that I had someone to help me out and to be able to help me get back in school because there's nothing more that I would love than to obtain my bachelor's degree but I still to this day have not found that. That's why I do not recommend this school and I really do not recommend a counselor by the name of Monica. My autistic son was very sick and she gave me the wrong advice. She should have told me to take a financial hardship but instead she kept enrolling me in classes and I wound up getting withdrawn!

Original review: March 17, 2019

The University of Phoenix messed up my financial aid horribly and lost my records 7 times. This meant that in 1 year of schooling, I spent 110 days taking courses, and 250 days fighting to get my financial aid straightened out every single day. Unfortunately, the University illegally forced me to take VOLUNTARY leave of absences so they could work things out. This caused me to miss the financial aid requirement of being in school for so many days each year, making me lose ALL of my financial aid at the University of Phoenix and my current college as well. Additionally, they refused to drop my loans so I could get some sort of assistance when I transferred out, making me fight with them an additional 3 months and 72 emails before they finally did something about it. Mixing that on top of a terrible education, UoP was the absolute worst decision I have ever made in my life.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Worst school! GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! Financial Aid office is very unprofessional and unorganized. The school makes you take courses in the beginning that are nothing but a way for them to get more money and would never transfer to another college. They are a scam! They lowered tuition rates but made sure to add these ridiculous classes to make up for it. They put you in the college classes before financial aid is complete and then will send you to a collection agency within a month should financial aid not work out. By the way, the finance department is the worst department in the whole college! The enrollment advisors are super nice but that is their job so they can get you trapped in this fraudulent school.

I started back at Southern New Hampshire University, which unlike this pathetic place is nonprofit. I am super happy with that school and their professionalism. Community manager, do not even waste my or your time with your reply about emailing whoever, I have been emailing this school for months and like another reviewer said it's a call center and no one actually knows anything and all you get is computerized responses! For anyone looking into this school, please just do not!

I have proof of all the information in this, with screenshots and letters and I have no problem showing you if it will save someone else from making this same mistake! If you don't want to take my word for it, look on Google at all the rating websites and review websites. They have more bad reviews than good. I did not make it this far but I hear if you graduate from here, your degree is looked at as a joke and no one will hire you! So, with all the information I hope you make a better decision than I did. I looked at all the bad reviews and just shrugged it off hoping it would be different for me and it wasn't! I hope this school gets a lawsuit, like it has in the past! I will completely involve myself should anyone want to start a class action!

Original review: March 5, 2019

This school charged $50k in tuition and won't even help with placement for volunteer field experience hours. Instead they send you emails of how much time is running out and send you names of places that are "14 miles away" when in reality, they're 30 miles away. Who has time to leave their life to gain acceptance for field placement? This school is a straight ripoff. I was so close to getting my bachelor's degree too.

Original review: March 2, 2019

The pre-requisite courses were much harder than they needed to be and cost twice as much as local colleges. I wouldn't recommend taking any general courses such as Biology or Microbiology at UofP. The nursing program was just pointless work and some of the instructors were very rude. Students were constantly failing due to final proctored exams. There were also weeks of pointless labs or classes called assessment periods that weren't worth any credits but just put in place to make the program longer and more costly. This program is expensive and pointless.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I attended for 4 years and received my bachelor's degree. If you do what you are supposed to, you won’t have any problems. Everything processed for me quickly and I did not have any financial issues. Financial aid was a breeze and everyone was helpful and nice. You get out what you put in. If I dropped courses or failed, I would not blame the school, that is all on me and I would expect to pay for the courses. I also don't use financial aid to supplement my life, I only use it to pay for my courses and I don’t take out anything extra. Guess I’m just responsible.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I have had a great experience with the University of Phoenix online programs. Rich learning environment with access to the best online libraries in the world. Challenging but rewarding academic tasks thoughtfully designed to impart the best learning. Classrooms adapted to the 21st century working scholar accessible on the go at the airports, in the taxi, at home. For the serious-minded student, the University of Phoenix is where to be. Unserious students will find a reason to complain.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I enrolled at UoP in 2015 to get an AA in Business with a certificate in retail fundamentals. It took me years to figure out what I wanted to go for and I am glad that I picked this school. During my time there, all of my classes were online. I took a test which stated that I was able to have 5 week courses instead of 8 weeks. My tuition pricing was not high and was decent for 60 credits. I did go through a few academic counselors, but only because 2 of them were in school themselves for higher degrees and the last one, Daniel was amazing. He always called to check in and ask me how I was doing, and if I felt that I needed help somewhere or if he could provide me with study sessions and whatnot. I attended classes online because at the time I had 2 jobs and was helping to care for my family.

I ended up getting sick and having surgery which put me on complete bed rest with no stress for over 6 weeks. I spoke with my counselor and I went on leave. (Which is what you should do if you are unable to complete the class as it does not penalize you.) Not even 6 months later, my grandmother passed away. Again my counselor let me have leave and after a month or so, I went back to my classes.

I graduated in February 2018 with my degree and certificate and honestly it was a great experience for me. Some people state that the classes are easy. They are not easy, if anything they are a little harder as you are forced to following instructions to a certain degree and all of their rules are straightforward and easy to follow. Post to class, do your work, apply yourself. Now, I am in the process of thinking about re-enrolling to get a different degree, even though my business degree allowed me to get the job I have now. It is because of that degree that I make well over the minimum wage in my state which was just raised to $9.25/hr. I also enjoy the alumni benefits which offer discounts and much more. Plus now with their tuition being around $350/credit, it is not bad at all.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I see so many negative reviews on this school, and I don’t know how. I have been at UOP for 6 months... and I haven’t had not one problem. I turn in my assignments I post in my classroom. As a matter of fact I have had some really good teachers here and my whole enrollment process was easy, because I guess I did everything I was supposed to do on time... and there are public libraries to go and use their computers if ever my laptop gives me trouble. But People seem to be staining UOP’s name for their own wrongdoings. The rules are straightforward, follow the rules... And also my academic counselor call me to check on me all the time and I have been holding a 3.9 GPA. I’m sorry to see this school bashed, because I have had no problems, I am committed to getting my degree, I don’t want to use any more money than I need to.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Where do I begin, it all started with a hidden fee I found out I had to pay because I was overpaid in my tuition and come to find out I owe 200$ back at no fault of mine. Then my car was stolen with my laptop in it and failed to post in class. Instead of the school helping me and giving me a break they dropped me from a class that I was in no danger of failing. After they failed me fast forward 5 months I just learned that I will have to pay out of pocket for this failed class adding my total plus the 200$ to over $800.00 and I have no job. When I called the finance dept they had no solutions for this nor did the finance adviser care to help. THEY STRESS THEIR STUDENTS OUT MAKING THE SCHOOL EXPERIENCE VERY BAD. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I attended UOP and had 45 credit hours total. After starting a block of classes I was informed that the school had not withheld the full amount accidentally out of my student loans, Pell Grant, and TA paid directly to them and that I owed them money. They had just begun only allowing you to borrow what was needed to pay for courses and attending full time, I used my GI Bill to survive. I reviewed their idea of records for payments received and they were insanely complicated to read and I could never track down the discrepancy they claimed occurred along the way. I wasn't satisfied that they were being straightforward with me and opted to leave. I received discounted rates for military and location for resources. They were trying to charge me for a total of 2 courses and resource fees that were not discounted. If you attend, I would recommend keeping close track of any financial aid that they receive on your behalf.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

It never ceases to amaze me the lack of accountability people choose to use as a scapegoat for their fallbacks. Obviously I would not generalize and state every negative review is false, however I do know two people from personal experience, one of which is my own cousin, who flunked out of this school for not completing their work, and now bashes the school. If UOP has any problems, it is their open door enrollment, unfortunately they get lazy irresponsible people expecting to get a degree by simply paying for it, and when they fall flat on their face since the work is not easy, they turn around and do nothing but bash the institution.

I will tell you about my experience with UOP, I received my BS in Business/Accounting, and then went on to receive my MBA. As soon as I completed my accounting degree I was offered a position as an accountant that required a degree, I was also tested by the HR department before being offered the job. I would also like to add my employer reimbursed 50% of my tuition, in which they will only do this for a properly accredited institution, and other colleagues were denied the reimbursement from other online schools such as Kaplan University. I am lucky enough to work for such a wonderful professional organization that they threw me a graduation party, and have never made me feel as if my degree means nothing.

My enrollment counselor with UOP was amazing, she walked me through the process step by step explaining everything in detail. I would also like to add, I had to provide my high school transcripts to enroll to prove I graduated. I knew I was taking out loans, I was never mislead whatsoever. Bottom line, I feel sorry for UOP for the simple fact that it has so many alumni choose to bash the institution, all of you need to take a long hard look in the mirror! I mean really what does it say about you that you chose to go to a school you now call a joke? Did you not do your research before picking a college? What were your other options?

I am seriously doubting you had many options at all. I highly doubt you were unaware you were taking out loans, you signed the paper, and now you do not want to fulfill your obligations and repay the loan you agreed to, all boils down to one simple word… ACCOUNTABILITY! Also a degree does not guarantee a job, I know someone very intelligent, has a masters from UMSL, and she cannot find a job in her field, but she is not going around bashing her school, and blaming them.

IF you want to receive a degree from UOP you will work for it, and do not believe all of the negative reviews. I never encountered any of the outrageous accusations I have read in reviews, and neither did my colleague who also graduated from UOP, although she also knows someone who now bashes the school because they flunked out, we sure have that in common. I actually just read a review from a former UOP student, or so they say, that actually used the word retarded when describing some of the other classmates, this person sounds real sophisticated don’t they? I am ashamed to say I attended the same school as someone so ignorant and hateful, and from what their review read, they did not graduate. Surprise surprise. The school does not fail you for no reason at all, yes if you do not meet your participation/attendance and you receive F’s on your assignments, well then you fail, just like any other college.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I recently stop going to UOP, because I realized that this school is out for money and they are not really into ensuring students get a great education. They have sent me to a debt collector to pay for a class that was originally paid by financial aid and now it's not covered. Which do not make sense because you cannot attend class if it is not paid for in advance. So I feel like the school is double dipping and making up rules as they go. There are cheaper and not for profit schools that you can attend and receive a better education. I would not suggest anyone enroll in this school unless you are ready to come out of pocket. If I could give this school a no stars I would.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I received my Associates Degree from UOP and although there were numerous issues - from high turnover and changes of counselors. You would never know who to email or contact for assistance. As once counselor or advisor would know all of your information, the next time you turn around you would be left not hearing from anyone at all. Then out of nowhere you would be directed to contact NEWPERSON@UOP.COM. This was constant and so often that it became a joke between students.

In addition, when I decided to go back to UOP in hopes to pursue my Bachelor's and I only decided to use them again, as my information, credits, Financial Aid documents, etc was already on file and it was easier to process rather than transfer and start over all while working both full time - part time, and taking care of a household and two teen boys. I figured I'd try, however after realizing that the program was structured again with the TEAM assignments and that my study time really wasn't set for just me and my schedule in addition to (YOU GUESSED IT) the same high turn over of staff not knowing whom to speak to about what...I decided I had enough and decided to withdraw.

While checking out other online universities and speaking with Ashford University, I decided to take a chance there to finish my 5-6 classes. I tried logging on to UOP to access what information that I could myself SINCE speaking with someone that knew my course history was pretty much null and void, when logging in the first time, my course program was set to CRIMINAL JUSTICE. HMM. I'm like I got in with the username and password and the dashboard name LISA was clearly mine. However the program information for Criminal Justice and the credits for all my previous hard work were nowhere to be found.

I printed that information and immediately called the last known person regarding this issue. "Hmm. That is strange," says the admissions counselor... Yeah ya think. I have NEVER before been in a criminal justice program. "Ok well let us see. Hmm. This needs to be submitted to our technical support team." Okay but could someone explain to ME how in the world a course or program that I never enrolled in or gave permission for (all while I was not even enrolled as a student MIND YOU) suddenly has me in this program? Admissions person, "Hmm. I don't know." Well clearly I can't change my own course information right... No that's right so clearly someone from the University has been in my account and now I can't see any of my credits or financial information from my previous courses. "Ok I am giving this to our tech team and we will get this fixed."

The next few days I try logging back in and guess what... totally LOCKED OUT. My pin nor password worked... Hmm. What is going on. I call again and again get the runaround, "Oh this should be fixed soon." Well why can't I at least view my correct information and credits and financial stuff? Are you guys changing things or what is going on as I need this information to enroll with another university and now I am being held up on my progress.

Long story short email after email and calls no one could tell me which UOP ghost changed my stuff or why. BUT how about shortly after enrolling with Ashford, they said, "Hmm. It looks like you will be out of financial aid before you are finished with your 5 courses." I only had a few courses left and no one could tell me why my financial aid and loan money was short. Was it used by UOP for something fraudulent? I am still trying to find answers or whom to contact for help. If anyone knows, please reply. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Maria ** is a great enrollment counselor. She helped me make my education happen for me. There aren't many enrollment counselors like herself. Maria is outgoing, smart, helpful, attentive, pays attention to detail, and actually does care. Maria deserves to be recognized for her work ethics. She is great. Thank you Phoenix of Arizona for her services to students.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I would prefer to give zero stars. Everything that was said about University of Phoenix is correct. As a veteran the University of Phoenix administrators refused to process my enrollment form and verify my attendance with the Veterans Affairs. As a result I was told that I had to pay for the course and I was sent a bill. The administrators are disrespectful and incompetent. I took one course at the University of Phoenix and I regret attending that place labeled as a university.

The one professor that I had was a joke. The so-called professor did not behave as a professor and had no interpersonal skills. At times it was like she did not know what was going on. Furthermore, she behave as though students were a bother to her. When she did answer questions, it was like a bother to her. There are many online schools to choose from, this crap is not one of them. If you want to be treated with respect and receive an excellent education do not choose University of Phoenix.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been wanting to return to school for years. Now that all my children are of age, I thought it would be nice to do something for myself and finally obtain my college degree. I was told over and over again that my financial aid was pending and that I could start classes and not have to worry about anything because it would take time for the grants to kick in. After months of waiting, I kept getting email notifications about how my bill was due/past-due. I kept in contact w/ the finance department, who kept assuring me that if I just continue to submit the forms they kept requesting (over and over), that I would be fine and not to worry about it. They finally admitted to losing the forms due to a technical error, and asked me to resubmit them AGAIN!

Finally, I just ended up withdrawing all together. I realized that the financial aid was never going to come through and that the Finance department just kept a lie going so I could continue to take the courses. I requested the final bill after withdrawing as a student, and was told to contact the finance department to make payment arrangements for the outstanding balance. I followed the directions and called to set up payment arrangements two business days later, and was told that I am now in collections.

WHAT?!?! How? When? When was someone ever going to tell me that my account had been sent to collections? I was transferred to collections, who didn't answer the phone and wanted me to leave my social security number, birth date, and a list of other information on the voicemail for a call back. I have friends who are graduates of UOP and I thought I would have an overall positive experience as a student there, I was so excited about finally doing something for myself. I was unpleasantly surprised by this entire experience. The process was overall overwhelming and frustrating. No one is ever on the same page when you speak with them. Not cool.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

If you are looking for online courses do not choose it. The representatives do not know nothing about guidelines for international students. I spoke -at least- with 5 employees and no one could give directions to the enrollment. One representative even said to me to return to my country and ask for a different visa to do an ONLINE single course. I travel a lot in order to work in different places so: "What is the purpose of one online course?" Horrible experience as consumer. Staff are clearly not trained. So, I choose UC Berkeley for my online studying purposes. Way more better!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I am a 4.0 student in spite of the inhumane treatment I have received by this failing University! As of today, they are 60 days late in processing my student loan refunds and I am not alone! Many of us are dealing with food shortages, power cut-offs, and eviction notices because the financial aid department does not care about processing loans and refunds in a timely manner! Some have been waiting since July and it's November 26. 2018! This is the 3rd year in a row! It is not an academic performance delay either!

Today they told me the automated machine finally processed my loan refund but made a mistake and sent both disbursements when I noticed an unaccounted for shortfall of $7,500 and no debit memo. Throughout the day the automated system which should have returned the overage to my account and issued a new check for the correct amount kept updating UNTIL IT INSTEAD RETURNED THE FUNDS TO THE LOAN COMPANY! There is nobody to talk to who is willing to offer a solution for their continued mistakes or excuses and I will lose my home, utilities, and ability to attend classes on Friday because of their ridiculous errors and delays! Meanwhile, they continue to pay themselves while my family went hungry on Thanksgiving!

I cannot say it enough-- DO NOT ATTEND THIS FAILING SCHOOL! They have a 17% graduation rate and are eliminating courses constantly! That's an 83% failure rate! Students are forced onto mandatory virtual learning teams with classmates who fail to participate yet still get full team points because other students are forced to do the work or lose 40% of their entire course grade!

Nobody enforces the school codes of ethics within the classroom or the learning team toolkit! The teachers cannot even get the same students to post the minimum required number of days for attendance, the required number of posts or even the minimum word count. Yet, these students are passed from classroom to classroom. They will graduate with a degree they have not earned, huge student debt and no skills to perform the jobs they were supposed to be trained for! They will believe that they are entitled to a free ride and be rewarded for little or no effort in the workplace, just as they have been in the classroom!

I am no longer the rising Phoenix I was in the Associate's program where I graduated with a 4.0 and the teachers cared enough to make you earn your grade! They inspired you. Now they remind us they are not babysitters! I am like a PTSD ridden clay pigeon in the driveby education skeet shoot they call an education at the University of Phoenix online. Where your classrooms are frequently down and inaccessible for 12-48 hours at a time just like the funds you are paying interest on are inaccessible for months on end! The best part is that many other schools won't accept their credits and employers don't even consider a UOPx degree as valid! The only things rising at UOPx are your blood pressure & your student debt!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Several years ago I enrolled in classes with UOP to become a certified teacher and obtain my Masters in Early Childhood Education. When enrolling, I was told that I would be student teaching toward the end of the program even though student teaching was not listed as part of the program. It was explained that student teaching would be treated as an "a la carte" addition to my program. Toward the end of my program, I questioned what I needed to do in order to do the student teaching. I was told that UOP does not offer such a thing. There were several phones calls and emails to no avail.

I was finally told that I would need to go to a local college or university to obtain the student teaching aspect of my degree program. As I contacted various schools, I quickly found out that no one will allow you to just student teach. I ended up having to go to a college 1 1/2 hours away to take more classes because not all of my courses from UOP would transfer over. I did this all while working full time. UOP has cost me so much money that I will not be done paying student loans off until after I retire. UOP has made my life miserable and they couldn't care less. I would have retained an attorney if I would have been able to afford one. Be very careful when looking at this place.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I received a rigorous education having completed my MBA. I say rigorous because my first masters was a cakewalk at a traditional university. I'm not sure this university is for just anyone. To complete a degree requires incredible discipline to manage the learning activity and complete assignments timely. My GPA was 3.95, nearly identical to first masters at 3.75, however I was younger too. I recommend this university to those with a strong desire and motivation to learn and endure a rigorous experience. For example, if you do not know how to write academically, defer until you take a course on APA style format and research. My career role currently is a chief operating officer.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Please beware of this school. They lied to me about how many credits would transfer over. After taking two classes I had to see that my remaining credits have changed from they promised. Now, I must take three more class in order to graduate and pay $4K more. I was told that they take about 2 months to completely settle my credit transfer and so basically they lied to me when they told me how many credits would transfer. Learn from my experience and don’t trust anyone when they tell you how many credits transferred and don’t start classes until that 2 month period of completing the transfer is complete. Also know that it takes them two months to complete what other schools complete in two days. Now I understand why. This is an opportunity for the school to rope you into paying and completing two classes before giving the truth and trying to correct the lie that they told at enrollment. Do not trust this school.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

My degree will be worthless because the college has put me through enough! I’m a single mom with a part time job and I’ve truly had enough with University of Phoenix! I’ve filed a complaint with the inspector general of the US Department of Education and hopefully I will hear back from them regarding my situation with the University of Phoenix!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

This university has lied and stolen $70,000 of student loan monies, and they are very okay with this. For the first time ever, I have been forced to quit my education due to the student loan monies running out, and they started having me repeat courses with cash payments and not awarding any degrees. I am not alone with the 17% completion rate of the programs at University of Phoenix.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I initially started UOP at a local branch. Then the local branch was closed and I was forced to continue online. This was very challenging for me, however it was the only option as almost none of my classes would transfer to another University. Also as a Veteran that is receiving GI Bill Benefits, UOP is NOT recommended for any veteran. In four years here, I never get my BAH pay on time. UOP has a unique way to report attendance, and therefore your payments are always broken up by the VA and unpredictable. Also the financial aid is credited to any payments that VA has not made and therefore you get your financial aid in chunks and it is also VERY unpredictable when it will come. The financial aid advisors never can give you a straight answer. VETS, go elsewhere!!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have complete records of every payment I made to the school from my bank, however, they say I owe them a couple thousand dollars when I know I made every payment. I have contacted my loan provider and they stated that the university did not return a couple thousand. And mind you this is a little over 3 months later and the loan providers still did not receive the money. I log in to the UofPhx eCampus billing account and it shows that I'm owed money from last year and this year.

While looking at the figures from OSLA, the Department of Labor, NSLDS, and FAFSA. Some of the figures don't match up what was sent to me from this University. I've been shorted a few hundred here and there. I contacted the attorney general and she's looking at my case as I write this. If you're not getting all your subsidized or unsubsidized loans amount minus the origination fee I would contact the Attorney general in your state as well in regards to your issues.

Also overlook your figures from what you are granted and borrowing and what the University of Phoenix sends you and mind you I know that they have origination fees of $108, however, that's not a few hundred which I've been shorted here and there. My girlfriend said it sounds like embezzling. I'm sure the Attorney General will get to the bottom of it if my account isn't straightened out to have a zero balance and my funds return back to me that they overcharged or applied to last year's billing. And get this the Student Financial Services said that they know that I've made every payment and the thing is that they started. They returned a couple thousand back to the lender so I was told by them, however, the lender doesn't show any amounts of a couple thousand returned back to them. As a matter of fact I'm still accruing interest on those loans.

My question is why did the school allegedly send a couple thousand back to the lender and now I'm in debt a couple thousand? The thing is if I'm making payments to the school why is the school taking those payments and giving them back to the lender so they say. Sound strange right! if I'm making a payment to the school they should keep it and not tell me that they sent it back to the lender and "now you owe us a couple thousand." Oh and by the way I wasn't sent any notification from the school. No letters. No nothing that this alleged money would be returned back to the lender or that I was in debt. As a matter of fact how I found out about all this is that I called the school and asked about my couple hundred and they said that they applied it to last year because I owe.

How come I wasn't told this and according to my records I had paid in full and had a zero balance and before the first year ends they returned it to the lender on the same day that I was told to fill out this paperwork to correct everything and now I'm told it's too late and they'll get back to me in a couple weeks. Now it's 3 months later and I contacted my attorney general in my state. I'm disabled and trying to better my life and this is very discouraging. Now don't get me wrong. I like the convenience of an online school and some of the teachers are great, however, there's too many students dealing with people's financial business matters and some of the students seem to be average or less than average in the brains department.

I liked it better when I was just dealing with one person and they knew what was going on instead of having to talk to various people which is like having too many spoons in the pot and I'm given different answers and explanations which is frustrating in itself. Word of advice I'm sure some of you give the school five stars and never had problems and I'm sure that some others are being embezzled from so look at your account.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I was attending UOP online and at the end of my third year. I was advised by financial aid that all of my loans were maxed and to come up with the money to continue my education with them. I left class and now owe them money. I am with another college now and come to find out my loans are NOT maxed out and I am able to finish my schooling. If UOP would have known what they were doing while I was there I would of had my BS Degree already. Their financial aid department needs work.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have had a wonderful experience with the University of Phoenix online. I have looked at all of the positive and negative reviews I had time for which I guess are about 50/50. I have never had any problems with financial aid at all. I have had to pay a few bucks out of pocket, but it wasn't a big deal to me. Years ago I took a few classes and dropped out, but it wasn't because it was a bad school. It was because I wasn't ready to commit to school. Now that I am older, I feel ready for school and all of the staff there are super friendly, eager to help, and want you to succeed! I have gone to a junior college on campus before and online classes are a lot more work. Before I came back I did pay the money I owed them and got my credits back.

The negative experiences are more likely the fault of the people that wrote them not taking responsibility for themselves. I wasn't provided a tutor when I attended another college and the University of Phoenix isn't responsible for providing one. They do offer one for the bachelor's program and have many other helpful programs to help you with your struggles. I do not regret going to this school at all! They applied all of my previous credits from my other schools and I have earned my Associates degree so far and I am working on my Bachelor's degree now. I have also used online tutors as well to help me get through a tough class. You have to use every resource you can find.

There is so much work to do that I don't know how I will keep up with work and school at the same time with my Bachelors like I did with my Associates. I discount every negative review here as written by bitter, spiteful people, that are just lying. I am also mentally ill and the school has a program that helps me through that too! I think all of the negative publicity this school has gotten is not bound by a solid foundation.

There are all kinds of teachers/professors at any school you go to. Their class, their rules, plain and simple. The class I am in now CYB/130 the teacher is really super nice and very helpful to me! It's not really her responsibility to go the extra mile. You can't expect that with every teacher. It never hurts to try, but eventually you might run across an instructor that is a bit more rigid. That will happen at any school. You can't just complain about this school being a bad school without even fairly looking at other schools in reality. These vile lies tarnish the school's reputation, and aren't true with my experience at all! If you go to another school with a negative attitude changing schools won't help. You need to change your outlook with a reality check.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I am with the University of Phoenix since 2017, and I cannot complain. Ok, this year it took a little bit longer to get reimbursed but there was a reason for. The accepted Pell Grand got awarded so that they had to return the first funds and then put the newly awarded funds (I believe $96 more) to the student's account. It can be annoying when you have to depend on this funds. Like I do, but in the end, it was very quick. All representatives are very nice and friendly and they provide their names, you also get a copy of the chat into your email. Say, that you have to prove something, you can. I have overall only great experiences with the University of Phoenix.

The faculty staff is always very helpful, they call you back in a timely manner, and also the Professors are great. My academic advisor is giving me a call every 2 months to check on me if I have special needs or questions. I do not understand the problems from the other writer. I cannot say a bad word, I have only great experiences. During Hurricane Harvey, the University offered me a Computer so that I could still hold on to my degree (3.98) after they reimbursed me my financial aid, I had to send it back, but I could use it for at least 3 months for free.

I agree that not all classes make sense, but if you put hard work and effort in, you can be successful and like one of the other writers said, you have to be one step ahead. Do your homework, stay 3 times a week in contact with your team or class members for the participation points and get your assignment done. If you ever have a problem, contact your advisor, professor/instructor they work with you. I went to a different College before and can only say that the University of Phoenix was the best decision ever.

From providing helpful tools (Grammarly, tutoring, workshops...) over excellent service, I cannot complain and can only recommend this school. One thing you have to do is to inform yourself to see if this degree will be accepted in your state. Otherwise, pick something else, or go to a different institution, but please do not make the mistake and blame the faculty staff. They are excellent and very helpful, they take their time if it is in a chat, phone call or via Skype. I am a big fan and would recommend this Universtiy to everyone that is willing to work hard for their degree. You will not get anything for free. It is maybe a little bit more expensive as a community college, but you have excellent service. You get what you pay for, and I can only say, I got what I wanted and expected. 100% satisfied!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I attended the UOP for my undergrad, and now an MBA. I was happy with my undergrad because the onboard counselor made it really easy for me to enter into a degree program through financial aid and a full overview of the program. Financial aid was the worst part at this point. They add a disbursement date to your account so you can see when you will be funded. OK, but when you live off part of those funds and it takes two weeks to disburse AFTER the disbursement date... well, this is a huge issue, and it is happening again right now with a PLUS loan that does not go to the school, has been sitting at the UOP for months, and is two weeks past disbursement. Right now I am in QRB/501, which leads me to issue #2. The classes are set up so you study and do assignments, then go to class and learn???

This process is OK with reading and writing based courses, but with math it is really sub-standard. EX: I finished an assignment last week thinking I did it correctly based on the reading. In class I realized I did some parts wrong, but the assignment was due at 6 PM, before class, so I can't change that. I am losing points due to a poor system. I asked for tutoring and was told by the teacher to call my advisor. I call my advisor and am told to speak to the teacher because there are no tutoring options for Masters students. Also, in class, the teacher does not follow the book because she says it is confusing and does not follow the same formula identifiers she is used to. Other students in class are recent military and talk about just making the money... they don't care and the classroom conversation hugely takes away from my learning. EXTREMELY POOR SCHOOL but now I am stuck and can't leave without losing a ton of money!!!

University of Phoenix expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since its founding in 1976, the University of Phoenix has put providing higher education to working adults at the forefront of their mission. The goal is to be convenient while still providing a quality education.

• Regionally accredited: Many online colleges pursue national accreditation instead of regional, but University of Phoenix has programs accredited by either. They are on notice regarding their regional accreditation, but they keep their accreditation while they address any issues.

• Get a doctorate: Few online colleges can offer a PhD program, but the University of Phoenix offers several options.

• Professional development courses: For those who are not interested in pursuing an additional degree program, but do need to maintain course work for professional development, this college has a range of options.

• Teaching programs: Many online programs are limited to technology, business, finance and health fields, but University of Phoenix goes outside the box to include teaching and the social sciences.

• Know admissions requirements upfront: To find out additional information about admissions, many colleges require a phone interview, but University of Phoenix publishes their requirements on their website.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs