Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
1.94/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

University of Phoenix

The University of Phoenix offers many online degree programs. To learn more about these programs, read University of Phoenix BS in Accounting reviews, University of Phoenix MBA reviews and University of Phoenix School of Nursing reviews. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

1480 University of Phoenix Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have attended the University of Phoenix since 2017, and I will receive my Bachelor's degree in two months. So far, my experience has been rewarding. I have also worked very hard, and I have maintained a 3.9 GPA. After attending for almost two years, these are the pros and cons I have observed:

Pros

1. Online college is great! I am a working adult with a small child. I do not have time to take classes at a brick and mortar college. It would take too much time out of my schedule. UOP is good for those who have already attended college, have started a career and are looking to perhaps get to that next step professionally.

2. My advisor is thorough, professional, and caring. She has helped me through this entire process. From the start, she provided me with helpful information about how to complete my degree promptly. I cannot thank her enough.

3. The majority of the instructors are there to provide help. When I first started, I had a lot of questions. Some were even available to speak with me over the phone. Most responded to my messages quickly.

4. As long as you follow directions and put forth the effort, you will earn good grades.

5. The curriculum is the same as other colleges and universities. UOP is accredited.

Cons

1. Some employers still have a bias towards the University of Phoenix and other for-profits schools. Certain hiring managers and recruiters will pick graduates from other schools first. So I would recommend going to a state or private college if you can. I do not recommend the University of Phoenix to anyone under the age of 25. I would encourage people 18 - 24 years of age to go to a traditional four-year college or enroll in community college and then transfer.

2. The team assignments are frustrating. Since UOP accepts anyone with a high school diploma or GED, a significant amount of students are indifferent, have poor work ethics, and are not good writers. Therefore, it is extremely annoying to work on a learning team with people who are only attending to receive their degree and do not care about the grades that he/she receives on an assignment. If you are someone who cares about grades, then you will have to take on additional responsibilities while working on team assignments.

3. If you decide to attend UOP with the hopes of getting a well-paying job immediately, then this might not be the place for you.

I notice that a lot of complaints are about the financial aspects of attending UOP. I cannot comment on this based on my experience because my employer paid for 80% - 85% of my tuition. I have heard that the recruitment process at most non-profit colleges is unethical...and that needs to change. My assessment of UOP is that you get what you give. If a person expects that a degree will be a magic wand that will transform their lives completely, then they are deeply mistaken. Earning a degree will be a significant accomplishment for me. Do I expect to advance in my career? I would hope so, but I have no expectations. Fortunately, I already have a career, and I earn more money than a lot of people with degrees from prestigious colleges. People should have realistic expectations of a for-profit college. If this is your only option, then make the best of it, or you should work harder to get into a private, nonprofit university.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I enrolled at UoP in 2015 to get an AA in Business with a certificate in retail fundamentals. It took me years to figure out what I wanted to go for and I am glad that I picked this school. During my time there, all of my classes were online. I took a test which stated that I was able to have 5 week courses instead of 8 weeks. My tuition pricing was not high and was decent for 60 credits. I did go through a few academic counselors, but only because 2 of them were in school themselves for higher degrees and the last one, Daniel was amazing. He always called to check in and ask me how I was doing, and if I felt that I needed help somewhere or if he could provide me with study sessions and whatnot. I attended classes online because at the time I had 2 jobs and was helping to care for my family.

I ended up getting sick and having surgery which put me on complete bed rest with no stress for over 6 weeks. I spoke with my counselor and I went on leave. (Which is what you should do if you are unable to complete the class as it does not penalize you.) Not even 6 months later, my grandmother passed away. Again my counselor let me have leave and after a month or so, I went back to my classes.

I graduated in February 2018 with my degree and certificate and honestly it was a great experience for me. Some people state that the classes are easy. They are not easy, if anything they are a little harder as you are forced to following instructions to a certain degree and all of their rules are straightforward and easy to follow. Post to class, do your work, apply yourself. Now, I am in the process of thinking about re-enrolling to get a different degree, even though my business degree allowed me to get the job I have now. It is because of that degree that I make well over the minimum wage in my state which was just raised to $9.25/hr. I also enjoy the alumni benefits which offer discounts and much more. Plus now with their tuition being around $350/credit, it is not bad at all.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

It never ceases to amaze me the lack of accountability people choose to use as a scapegoat for their fallbacks. Obviously I would not generalize and state every negative review is false, however I do know two people from personal experience, one of which is my own cousin, who flunked out of this school for not completing their work, and now bashes the school. If UOP has any problems, it is their open door enrollment, unfortunately they get lazy irresponsible people expecting to get a degree by simply paying for it, and when they fall flat on their face since the work is not easy, they turn around and do nothing but bash the institution.

I will tell you about my experience with UOP, I received my BS in Business/Accounting, and then went on to receive my MBA. As soon as I completed my accounting degree I was offered a position as an accountant that required a degree, I was also tested by the HR department before being offered the job. I would also like to add my employer reimbursed 50% of my tuition, in which they will only do this for a properly accredited institution, and other colleagues were denied the reimbursement from other online schools such as Kaplan University. I am lucky enough to work for such a wonderful professional organization that they threw me a graduation party, and have never made me feel as if my degree means nothing.

My enrollment counselor with UOP was amazing, she walked me through the process step by step explaining everything in detail. I would also like to add, I had to provide my high school transcripts to enroll to prove I graduated. I knew I was taking out loans, I was never mislead whatsoever. Bottom line, I feel sorry for UOP for the simple fact that it has so many alumni choose to bash the institution, all of you need to take a long hard look in the mirror! I mean really what does it say about you that you chose to go to a school you now call a joke? Did you not do your research before picking a college? What were your other options?

I am seriously doubting you had many options at all. I highly doubt you were unaware you were taking out loans, you signed the paper, and now you do not want to fulfill your obligations and repay the loan you agreed to, all boils down to one simple word… ACCOUNTABILITY! Also a degree does not guarantee a job, I know someone very intelligent, has a masters from UMSL, and she cannot find a job in her field, but she is not going around bashing her school, and blaming them.

IF you want to receive a degree from UOP you will work for it, and do not believe all of the negative reviews. I never encountered any of the outrageous accusations I have read in reviews, and neither did my colleague who also graduated from UOP, although she also knows someone who now bashes the school because they flunked out, we sure have that in common. I actually just read a review from a former UOP student, or so they say, that actually used the word retarded when describing some of the other classmates, this person sounds real sophisticated don’t they? I am ashamed to say I attended the same school as someone so ignorant and hateful, and from what their review read, they did not graduate. Surprise surprise. The school does not fail you for no reason at all, yes if you do not meet your participation/attendance and you receive F’s on your assignments, well then you fail, just like any other college.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have had a wonderful experience with the University of Phoenix online. I have looked at all of the positive and negative reviews I had time for which I guess are about 50/50. I have never had any problems with financial aid at all. I have had to pay a few bucks out of pocket, but it wasn't a big deal to me. Years ago I took a few classes and dropped out, but it wasn't because it was a bad school. It was because I wasn't ready to commit to school. Now that I am older, I feel ready for school and all of the staff there are super friendly, eager to help, and want you to succeed! I have gone to a junior college on campus before and online classes are a lot more work. Before I came back I did pay the money I owed them and got my credits back.

The negative experiences are more likely the fault of the people that wrote them not taking responsibility for themselves. I wasn't provided a tutor when I attended another college and the University of Phoenix isn't responsible for providing one. They do offer one for the bachelor's program and have many other helpful programs to help you with your struggles. I do not regret going to this school at all! They applied all of my previous credits from my other schools and I have earned my Associates degree so far and I am working on my Bachelor's degree now. I have also used online tutors as well to help me get through a tough class. You have to use every resource you can find.

There is so much work to do that I don't know how I will keep up with work and school at the same time with my Bachelors like I did with my Associates. I discount every negative review here as written by bitter, spiteful people, that are just lying. I am also mentally ill and the school has a program that helps me through that too! I think all of the negative publicity this school has gotten is not bound by a solid foundation.

There are all kinds of teachers/professors at any school you go to. Their class, their rules, plain and simple. The class I am in now CYB/130 the teacher is really super nice and very helpful to me! It's not really her responsibility to go the extra mile. You can't expect that with every teacher. It never hurts to try, but eventually you might run across an instructor that is a bit more rigid. That will happen at any school. You can't just complain about this school being a bad school without even fairly looking at other schools in reality. These vile lies tarnish the school's reputation, and aren't true with my experience at all! If you go to another school with a negative attitude changing schools won't help. You need to change your outlook with a reality check.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I am with the University of Phoenix since 2017, and I cannot complain. Ok, this year it took a little bit longer to get reimbursed but there was a reason for. The accepted Pell Grand got awarded so that they had to return the first funds and then put the newly awarded funds (I believe $96 more) to the student's account. It can be annoying when you have to depend on this funds. Like I do, but in the end, it was very quick. All representatives are very nice and friendly and they provide their names, you also get a copy of the chat into your email. Say, that you have to prove something, you can. I have overall only great experiences with the University of Phoenix.

The faculty staff is always very helpful, they call you back in a timely manner, and also the Professors are great. My academic advisor is giving me a call every 2 months to check on me if I have special needs or questions. I do not understand the problems from the other writer. I cannot say a bad word, I have only great experiences. During Hurricane Harvey, the University offered me a Computer so that I could still hold on to my degree (3.98) after they reimbursed me my financial aid, I had to send it back, but I could use it for at least 3 months for free.

I agree that not all classes make sense, but if you put hard work and effort in, you can be successful and like one of the other writers said, you have to be one step ahead. Do your homework, stay 3 times a week in contact with your team or class members for the participation points and get your assignment done. If you ever have a problem, contact your advisor, professor/instructor they work with you. I went to a different College before and can only say that the University of Phoenix was the best decision ever.

From providing helpful tools (Grammarly, tutoring, workshops...) over excellent service, I cannot complain and can only recommend this school. One thing you have to do is to inform yourself to see if this degree will be accepted in your state. Otherwise, pick something else, or go to a different institution, but please do not make the mistake and blame the faculty staff. They are excellent and very helpful, they take their time if it is in a chat, phone call or via Skype. I am a big fan and would recommend this Universtiy to everyone that is willing to work hard for their degree. You will not get anything for free. It is maybe a little bit more expensive as a community college, but you have excellent service. You get what you pay for, and I can only say, I got what I wanted and expected. 100% satisfied!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Firstly, classes through the online program at UOP are kind of a complete joke. I did not learn a single thing. It all felt like busywork. Secondly, they are incredibly expensive for what they are offering. I withdrew from the university during the first week of a course (at the start of the week, way before it ended) and they charged me nearly $400 for the class - that I didn't even start. It's incredibly frustrating and they will not waive that. They do offer a payment plan if that's what you're looking for.

Additionally, professors are not helpful and take forever to respond, and by the time they do, the assignment due date has already passed. There are so many "filler" classes that had no purpose. The only good thing about the program is that each class is only 5 weeks, but you don't get any breaks, besides a week in winter. I feel like if you're looking for an easy but expensive way out, then this program is for you. If not, go somewhere else! Do not buy into this fake program.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I wanted to complete my education and as I have 3 kids and was working at the time was a good idea for me. So I ended my BBA and MBA at University of Phoenix with a 3.62 GPA. However it is like I didn't nothing. To look for a better job as soon as they see University of Phoenix in my resume that put the sign "idiot" in my forehead....Seven years ago I graduated and my diploma is good as a toilet paper. Don't waste your money here please. I have a loan that I can't pay because I can't find a job with their studies reference.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

This is an amazing university with incredible programs, curricula, and excellent support from the staff and faculty. I complete my masters in 2015 and will culminate my doctoral studies in 6 months. Tuition is as much as in any other university. I compared this university with my state universities and I had to stay with Phoenix. State universities can't compete with UoP programs and excellent, well structured learning platform.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

The degree is only good if you have years of experience in your filed and just need a piece of paper. The degree did help me because I had years of experience in my field and most companies in my field require a degree. Since I had years of experience they did not care where the degree came from as long as I had one to meet company policy. If you plan to go into a new field and don’t have years of experience in it, you will not get hired. Companies won’t take your degree seriously. Don’t get an accounting degree and expect to become an accountant or major in IT and get a job in that field unless of course you have years of experience at it and have a reputation in the field.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I am not finishing my degree with the UoP as I am strongly opposed to the "group projects". I have only had two of them and switching to another school. This university is not viewed favorably by other universities or reputable companies and now after experiencing the Instructor at the UoP, I can understand why. One of my coworkers received a Bachelor's Degree through University of Phoenix. She then attempted to go to a different, more prestigious university for a Master's Degree, and they would not accept her Bachelor's from UoP.

I have learned quickly that the Group projects are designed to have hard-working, ambitious, intelligent students do the majority of the work carrying lazy, unprepared students that wait until the last minute and don't care, while the instructor gives an equal grade to them. The Instructor I currently have- Don **/** (Human Resources) belittled and threatened my grade and to "report me to faculty" because I told him that some in our group did not deserve a grade.

Instructor Don ** condescending in front of my fellow students when I told them that they did not contribute after not hearing from several inadequate students that did not respond, have any input and then attempted to submit a less than adequate portion of their project at the last minute and after I had already completed their work after not hearing from them. This Instructor afforded them the same grade and supported them. I imagine this school's goal is to "tout" their high graduation rate however this is the reason, mentioned above. This school's goal is to push as many students to "graduate" as possible- whether they are qualified or not. Why wouldn't they? It shows how successful they are and attracts more students.

University of Phoenix expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since its founding in 1976, the University of Phoenix has put providing higher education to working adults at the forefront of their mission. The goal is to be convenient while still providing a quality education.

• Regionally accredited: Many online colleges pursue national accreditation instead of regional, but University of Phoenix has programs accredited by either. They are on notice regarding their regional accreditation, but they keep their accreditation while they address any issues.

• Get a doctorate: Few online colleges can offer a PhD program, but the University of Phoenix offers several options.

• Professional development courses: For those who are not interested in pursuing an additional degree program, but do need to maintain course work for professional development, this college has a range of options.

• Teaching programs: Many online programs are limited to technology, business, finance and health fields, but University of Phoenix goes outside the box to include teaching and the social sciences.

• Know admissions requirements upfront: To find out additional information about admissions, many colleges require a phone interview, but University of Phoenix publishes their requirements on their website.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs