Online learning at it's best

2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.03/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

The University of Phoenix offers many online degree programs. To learn more about these programs, read University of Phoenix BS in Accounting reviews, University of Phoenix MBA reviews and University of Phoenix School of Nursing reviews.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

University of Phoenix Reviews

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I am currently an online student at UOP. The option to do online school has helped balance my work life, mom life, church life, and school life. I honestly think if I didn't have the option to do online school, I probably wouldn't have pursue getting my degree. What I like about the program is how it is outlined, you do one class at a time instead of 3 or 4 classes through a course of a semester or quarter. The 5 week course allows me to concentrate on one subject at a time instead of 3 or 4. Although the course is accelerated through 5 weeks, I'm able to put my attention to 1 course at a time.

I know there are a lot of negative comments about the new blackboard. Honestly, I think it works a lot better and gives me less time reading discussions and concentrating more on the course reading. But like all things, you need to apply yourself and put in the work. As a manager, to me this shows dedication and drive to be able to get through these classes. However, online school isn't for everyone. Make sure you're doing your research before committing to any school. I spent almost a year before I decided on taking my degree program with UOP.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I was reading the online review early this evening on this site. I was discouraged by some of what I was reading. What al lot of folks fail to understand is if you are a student, seeking employment for a specific job. You need to do some homework. I am currently a UOPX student, working on a MA in education. I called my home state DOE to ensure the degree I was seeking leads to obtaining a teaching license in the state. I spoke with teachers I know and they said I am good to go. The issue with with the reviews mostly are people just not doing their due diligence and checking and ensuring the degree is a match for the career they are pursuing. Furthermore, if you go to school, you have to pay. If you don't most likely you are noting going to like the person that calls you to let you know you owe money. That doesn't mean a school is a bad school because they expect people to pay their bills.

Also, its true UOPX had some issues with blackboard, which are now resolved. The program works well now and is better in many ways than the old program, it just takes some getting use too that's all. Lastly, degrees from UOPX are excepted by all universities and employers. UOPX is an accredited university. If it were not accredited. You could not even apply for a federal student loan or use Military TA or the GI Bill. Some of reviews on here are simply ignorant. They don't realize that the programs are accredited, therefore meet a standard, which obviously a few people could not meet the standard and moved onto another school, leaving a trail of negative comments. Most likely not realizing that all that complaining gets back to employers, which tarnishes a reputation of school for the simply fact that people are ignorant.

I am almost done with my graduate degree. I have no issues and the course materials and content are relevant and meet HLC accreditation standards. I will be employable when I graduate, so long as my resume and self are prepared to join the workforce. A degree is not guarantee employment in itself. You still have to do the things employers expect out of future employees.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I am a retired Army soldier and I attended UOP and received both my Bachelor's (2011) degree masters degrees (2014). I attend class for both degrees in the class room because I wanted a more personal experience. I love the interaction among my classmates. UOP is not like any other college programs I've attended. The lectures at UOP became open discussions among all of us. Those discussions were extremely refreshing, they made learning truly easy to understand and capture. The program formats and materials made it connectable, relate-able to career situations. The small group settings was awesome, by the end of the program my teammates felt like family, we shared a lot of great times in and out of the class room.

I've recommended UOP to several of my army buddies, friends and wife, many have, all of them are doing extremely well in their careers. If you not sure go visit a location or several locations. Talk to the students, ask questions, walk into the computer labs and you will see real learning going on because that's what I did before I choose University of Phoenix. The staff and Professors are true professionals. Many of the professors actually work in the career field for which they are instructing you're getting what's current in the industry now. Lastly the relationships you develop should you attend in the classroom classes are boundless, an unlimited value friends for life.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I attended University of Phoenix 100% online for exactly a year and the experience was incredibly positive. A few months ago, I decided to move from online to on campus because the G.I. Bill pays considerably more for attending in person (on campus), opposed to only attending online. I find that attending in person doesn't really make quality use of the time you spend there (the 3.5 hours you spend there), 3 out of 4 of my campus instructors so far prefer to sort of just have "campfire discussions" for the whole class, and then you still have to do all of the actual work online (unless you are doing a class presentation). My consistent 4.0 grades have slipped considerably since transferring to the on-campus environment.

I would much rather prefer the class time be spent helping the student complete the assignments due each week opposed to the time being spent discussing things and being tossed "puzzling" questions to answer that have nothing to do with helping you get your work done for that week. So far 2 out of 4 of my instructors so far seem really stressed out, and that mental energy is absorbed by the students (or at least by me). I think this contributes to lower grades too. Overall, I would rate University of Phoenix's online experience 5 of 5 and the on-campus experience 3 of 5, thus making my overall rating 4 of 5. The University also switched over to a new website interface called Blackboard. The old interface was easy to use, this new interface (Blackboard) I feel just complicates things that don't need to be complicated. I wish they would bring the old one back!

Original review: April 27, 2019

I have attended the University of Phoenix since 2017, and I will receive my Bachelor's degree in two months. So far, my experience has been rewarding. I have also worked very hard, and I have maintained a 3.9 GPA. After attending for almost two years, these are the pros and cons I have observed:

Pros

1. Online college is great! I am a working adult with a small child. I do not have time to take classes at a brick and mortar college. It would take too much time out of my schedule. UOP is good for those who have already attended college, have started a career and are looking to perhaps get to that next step professionally.

2. My advisor is thorough, professional, and caring. She has helped me through this entire process. From the start, she provided me with helpful information about how to complete my degree promptly. I cannot thank her enough.

3. The majority of the instructors are there to provide help. When I first started, I had a lot of questions. Some were even available to speak with me over the phone. Most responded to my messages quickly.

4. As long as you follow directions and put forth the effort, you will earn good grades.

5. The curriculum is the same as other colleges and universities. UOP is accredited.

Cons

1. Some employers still have a bias towards the University of Phoenix and other for-profits schools. Certain hiring managers and recruiters will pick graduates from other schools first. So I would recommend going to a state or private college if you can. I do not recommend the University of Phoenix to anyone under the age of 25. I would encourage people 18 - 24 years of age to go to a traditional four-year college or enroll in community college and then transfer.

2. The team assignments are frustrating. Since UOP accepts anyone with a high school diploma or GED, a significant amount of students are indifferent, have poor work ethics, and are not good writers. Therefore, it is extremely annoying to work on a learning team with people who are only attending to receive their degree and do not care about the grades that he/she receives on an assignment. If you are someone who cares about grades, then you will have to take on additional responsibilities while working on team assignments.

3. If you decide to attend UOP with the hopes of getting a well-paying job immediately, then this might not be the place for you.

I notice that a lot of complaints are about the financial aspects of attending UOP. I cannot comment on this based on my experience because my employer paid for 80% - 85% of my tuition. I have heard that the recruitment process at most non-profit colleges is unethical...and that needs to change. My assessment of UOP is that you get what you give. If a person expects that a degree will be a magic wand that will transform their lives completely, then they are deeply mistaken. Earning a degree will be a significant accomplishment for me. Do I expect to advance in my career? I would hope so, but I have no expectations. Fortunately, I already have a career, and I earn more money than a lot of people with degrees from prestigious colleges. People should have realistic expectations of a for-profit college. If this is your only option, then make the best of it, or you should work harder to get into a private, nonprofit university.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

University of Phoenix is the best college I have ever attended. People who say this university is easy, was not telling the truth. The negative review are lies. I am a straight A's student with a high G.P.A and I must say the courses at the university are intense. You really got to put in the work, If you don't, you will fail. All the bashing and negative feedback towards U.O.P once lead me to believe it was true, and at first gave me a negative reaction, until I experience it for myself. U.O.P is an overall good college and would definitely suggest this college to anyone who is ambitious, motivated and college ready.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I will be graduating with my B.S. in Public Administration next March and have had a great journey with UoP so far! The professors are all very knowledgeable in their fields, are very supportive, and the online platform works well for me (being that I have a full-time job and no time to make it to a brick and mortar college campus.) I have absolutely no complaints about the program, the online platform, or anything in general related to my experience at UoP. It has been an incredible experience! I have learned so much and have had to work hard to keep up my GPA, just as I would at any other school. I highly recommend this school to anyone who is looking to advance in their career.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

Hi All,

With all due respect to all negative reviewers, I would simplify my experience with the university by few words "I have achieved the target", which is having an accredited degree allows me to apply to higher positions in any company irrespective of the name of the university, as once you apply to any position, your capabilities will speak not the name of your university! If you are looking to "branding" your certificate, believe me, that will not do any help as the final word will be ALWAYS to "your experience and what you really know", nobody cares about "from where you have come!" They care about "where you are now".

Regards,

William

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I attended classes at the Pine Island and Cypress Creek locations and Graduated in 2006. I am still waiting for them to send me my Diploma. According to their customer service department, I did not do the exit interview. They have no record of it. I fulfilled all the requirements, but despite this I have to pay for copies of my transcript just to prove that I even attended this institution. The last customer service rep told me I would need to travel to their head office to get the matter resolved. This means travelling from Florida to Phoenix Arizona. I earned 123 credits, received a piece of paper during the graduation ceremony. Finished my final class. Had the exit interview. Still no diploma. Student **

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I am really surprised at the bad rap these guys have gotten over the years. As someone who attended a few different schools, I can assure you, you get no lesser of an education here than anywhere else. People have this weird perception of a stigma against online education or something its really bizarre. The school is accredited and meets the standards that are set. I don't know why they think it's any different than a school you actually physically attend. I've done both. I didn't notice any difference other than UoP was a lot more convenient to my work schedule. Honestly, I think it's a just some kind of bias.

University of Phoenix expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since its founding in 1976, the University of Phoenix has put providing higher education to working adults at the forefront of their mission. The goal is to be convenient while still providing a quality education.

• Regionally accredited: Many online colleges pursue national accreditation instead of regional, but University of Phoenix has programs accredited by either. They are on notice regarding their regional accreditation, but they keep their accreditation while they address any issues.

• Get a doctorate: Few online colleges can offer a PhD program, but the University of Phoenix offers several options.

• Professional development courses: For those who are not interested in pursuing an additional degree program, but do need to maintain course work for professional development, this college has a range of options.

• Teaching programs: Many online programs are limited to technology, business, finance and health fields, but University of Phoenix goes outside the box to include teaching and the social sciences.

• Know admissions requirements upfront: To find out additional information about admissions, many colleges require a phone interview, but University of Phoenix publishes their requirements on their website.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team