2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.95/5

DeVry University offers courses in several degree programs online and in the classroom. Visit our website to learn more about these Bachelor’s and Master’s programs.

Unsubscribe at any time.

DeVry University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DeVry University?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about DeVry University?

Original review: July 15, 2020

I have been interested in medical billing and coding for quite a while now. I searched other schools and did not get the personalized experience I received from Devry. Maggie **, and Breann ** were absolutely wonderful, very professional and I knew I was in good hands from start to finish. The process of enrollment, financing, and registration of classes was seamless. I have been dealing with other schools more than a year. I accomplished more from Maggie and Breann at Devry in less than a week. I am super excited about my educational journey. Thank you once again Maggie **, and Breann ** in Colorado.

DeVry University response

Taking that first step is always a challenge. We're pleased that our faculty and advisors were able to make it a little easier!

Original review: July 2, 2020

Professor ** is a great professor with a unique vision of teaching. He is a very engaging and knowledgeable professor, even though the second quarter of the 2020 was a difficult period for the global economy and some of the concept and application tended to be overwhelming, professor ** lead the class with passion for this new economy cycle and make some difficult concepts and applications very manageable.

DeVry University response

Thank you for sharing your experience. We're pleased to hear that your instructor was able to make it a little easier!

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Dr. Luan ** sets the bar on many levels. He has a tremendous amount of experience that he brings to INTL 500. He is also one of the most engaged professors that I have encountered, if not the most. Would highly recommend attending any course he teaches simply based on his passion for teaching and expanding on the subject matter at hand. Especially, appreciated how he would lead guided discussions extracting the wide range of experience among classmates.

DeVry University response

We're glad our instructors could support you on your academic journey.

Original review: June 18, 2020

I am currently finishing my first term and it has been more rewarding and informative than I could have ever expected. BIS155 with Professors Ellen ** and Michael ** has taught me skills that can be immediately applied in the workforce and will make me a more effectual employee. Whether you are just completing high school, have been working for years and have not attended college, or are a transfer student (as I am) looking to finish your degree without paying ridiculous tuition rates then DeVry deserves serious consideration.

DeVry University response

We're glad our instructors could support you on your journey.

Original review: June 10, 2020

My experience here at DeVry University has been enjoyable. I cannot say enough about the level of education I have received through my online courses. It's great to see that your teachers care. I would like to take time out to thank Professor Ellen ** and Professor Michael ** for doing a great job teaching BIS 155 course. Both Professor ** and ** are there for their students and genuinely care about their academic success. Also, informing the importance of making the most of your education while making learning new and challenging martial fun. I would highly recommend DeVry University to anyone who wants to earn a degree while managing a busy lifestyle.

DeVry University response

We understand how important online learning is and are happy to hear your instructors made your experience memorable.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

This school is a joke. I had so many issues while attending this school and even issues during graduation. First, the admissions person Nataska promised so many things which never happened. I had everything in mind that I wanted from a school and made sure before enrolling that it met everything I wanted. Of course, they will tell you what you want to hear in order to get your money. Too bad I didn't realize it until it was too late. I qualified for a $20,000 scholarship which was not completely used. I had plenty left yet I still ended up owing money out of pocket despite having this scholarship and student loans. Made no sense to me. I never found a job in my field after graduating and they do not prepare you well to gain decent employment despite graduating with a 4.0 GPA.

I attended a job fair once. Prior to the job fair they held a prep seminar. Nothing they taught us in the seminar happened in the job fair. The job fair was basically like a flea market with free giveaways. You stand in a line waiting to speak to someone who most just brush you away quickly because they seem miserable to be there. Others find students they know and just carry on conversations like they are friends while you wait on line. It was a waste of my time. It was a constant battle with my advisor the entire 2 yrs I was there. It's a shame because they have some great professors who till this day I keep in touch with but their methods of trying to get people to enroll is very deceiving. I'm left with a job not in my field of education and a 40K student loan debt. My advice is find a better school that isn't for profit because everyone gets enrolled no matter what as long as they can get money out of you. I wish I never attended this school.

DeVry University response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to help look into this and resolve your concerns. Please look out for a private message from us regarding next steps on how we can help.

Resolution response: Sept. 5, 2020

Advisors manager contacted me and came up with a plan for me to be able to continue my education. I was successfully enrolled and have started 2 of my remaining 7 classes.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I started DeVry in the 2016 and was told that there was a chance that I could exhaust my federal funding before I completed school, but to not worry about that because they would be able to help me secure funding. I was told this the last time by my student service advisor Desiree back in 2017/18 on a recorded call. Here I am now with 101 credits and my funding has been exhausted. I was then told by my Student service advisor Arrisa to apply for private loans and scholarships. I was told to do this while I was taking my finals and wrapping up my current sessions. (The stress of finals and personal life made this extremely difficult). However, every place I applied said the same thing. THEY DO NOT WORK WITH DEVRY!

When I emailed Arrissa, She claimed that DeVry had been bought out and the contracts may have not been updated to show the change. She told me she had to reach out to her boss Jason to find out how to proceed. She also stated other students where in the same situation as me. Here it is now 9/3/2020 the first week of the next session and I cannot enroll because I cannot get funding because again NO ONE WANT TO FUND DEVRY! So basically I'm screwed because without a cosigner I cannot continue my education at DeVry. No one told me I would need a cosigner EVER. If I would have known this I would have never went to this school. I am 7 classes away from my bachelor's degree. THANKS A LOT FOR SCREWING ME AND PUTTING ME IN DEBT FOR NOTHING. I will be seeking legal counsel.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I started out with DeVry with no problems. I was passing all of my courses with flying colors. In fact I maintained a 4.0 GPA until my last class attended in which dropped it to a 3.8. I had issues with professors not responding but it never bothered me... Then I got sick. I had a major surgery in January of 2019 at the same time DeVry was requesting documents from the IRS that I needed to return along with documents to verify my identity (Had a name change) then in July I lost my unborn child.. I called and explained the situation and the Advisor told me that I should withdraw my classes to avoid my balance going up and once my documents are received I can apply for Aid to cover it. I thought everything was great, I WAS WRONG!

I called in roughly 10 times over a course of 6 months explaining I have not received documents from the IRS and I wasn't told that the deadline had passed until I received the documents and turned them in. Once that was told to me I was advised they could submit a case to see if funding could be received. Didn't hear back for months. They said "they tried to call me." They did not. So after speaking with 4-6 different advisors, one being "higher up" who lied and said she listened to the calls until I asked her what was said and she couldnt tell me so she said she only read the notes.... I was told to submit a formal complaint (handled by devry of course).

ONE MONTH LATER after calling several times to check on it and even being told the Dean would CALL ME I get an email at 7:30 pm telling me I was advised properly. It read that the advisor told me I couldn't apply for loans until after the documents were received. WELL THAT WAS NOT MY CONCERN, I was never told I had 180 days to get the documents in or my grants will be owed and I would have to pay them to go back to school or get my transcripts. $3,888 I would have to pay because I trusted an Advisor to do their job. Then in order to appeal this I have to send another form to another DEVRY DEAN, the first one never read the appeal and I know because her response had NOTHING TO DO WITH MY PROBLEM.

I'm not rich, I have 2 kids, and I work full time... I busted my behind to get good grades and complete my degree. Devry does not care about any student. They are only concerned about the money. I will be leaving reviews EVERYWHERE, contacting the BBB, BBE, and the news if I have to. Currently I have 5 other devry students willing to join and put together their social media platforms so we can stop this from happening. Our lives/education can get ruined yet they are just able to walk away like nothing every happened.

Original review: July 25, 2020

DeVry can be good. I have taken a lot of classes there and am about to graduate. I have had some good professors and I've had some bad ones. In my experience there are numerous professors that seem to be doing this only for a check and have little interest in their students' success. I had one professor that wouldn't respond to my emails at all. I had another one who replied with smart ** comments rather than helping. I had another professor who just told you to read the chapter that you just finished reading. I took the problems to my student advisor and one time she decided to forward it to the dean. Well I haven't heard from the professor or the dean.

Another problem was the accounting class. The book was terrible at explaining and teaching the material and the professor wouldn't help explain it. I actually had to go to AccountingCoach.com to learn what I was paying DeVry to teach me because the book and the professor were worthless. I will warn you if you are planning on doing your homework on weekends, you should know that professors don't always stay on top of their email over the weekend so if you need help you may be out of luck. However, when this has happened the professor usually sees that you tried to reach them and they will give you another day to turn it in if you ask and they weren't able to help you in time.

Be warned though, I had a professor, under those same circumstances, ignore my email asking for help and then ignored my follow up email asking for help again and asking to turn it in a few hours after I get the help. I still haven't solved my problem with my current professor that is ignoring me, even including the dean in the problem.

Original review: June 28, 2020

Bad place for vets. They rob you benefits and charge you if you're called to active duty and have to cancel. Almost ten year after I left that and became a DV they find a random debt and drive my credit thru the floor. I have not heard from them in 9 years. Now I have 9 years of delinquency. The teachers were extremely political and for an art degree that was terrible. First 30 of every class was a fight. Their credits do not transfer and their degrees get you laughed out of the pro workplace. Any community college would be better and more professional. I know I went to one.

DeVry University response

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We would like to help resolve your concerns. Please look out for a private message from us regarding next steps on how we can help.

DeVry University author review by ConsumerAffairs

Since its founding in 1931, DeVry University has helped hundreds of thousands of students reach their educational goals.

• Nationally Accredited Programs: DeVry is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC). The University's Keller School of Management is also included in this accreditation.

• Incredible Program Variety: Where other online colleges offer a few online options, DeVry University has a wide range of programs ranging from the hard sciences to the liberal arts.

• Tuition Assistance and Financial Aid: DeVry's student support advisors are able to guide students through the range of financial aid and cost-saving options that they may qualify for, including scholarships, grants, federal financial aid and more.

• Flexible Learning Options: DeVry offers convenient eight-week sessions and full- and part-time schedule options. Students also have the option of both hybrid and online classes to suit their preferred learning style.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team