Strayer University Reviews

About Strayer University

Founded in 1892, Strayer University is a private, higher education institution which specializes in degree programs for working adults. The university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees at over 90 campuses in more than 20 U.S. states and online.

Strayer University Reviews

Stars Rating

• 2%
  • 98%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?

Reviewed July 29, 2014

First off, I attended Strayer University in Newport News, Virginia. I had worked for the University, 24 hours as a part-time Learning Resource Center Lab Assistant, while taking graduate level classes in a M.S. Educational Management program. I completed the program, with official graduation on October 17, 2009. I was actively looking for employment. Due to the economy, I decided to start a second program, Masters of Business Administration, and relocated to the Chicago area. I was actively looking for employment and companies and businesses in the Chicagoland area apparently didn't recognize Strayer University. Strayer University opened 4 campus location in the Chicago land area: Downers Grove, Schaumburg, Aurora, and in the downtown Loop.

I sent my resume to the corporate office in Northern Virginia for the Downers Grover location and the Schaumburg location. They didn't contact me, and I had worked for them in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Not only was I trained and knew their 'system' regarding LRC standards and procedures, I also knew their office procedures having been a graduate level student while in the Commonwealth of Virginia. They apparently knew when opening the Midwest Campus locations and the expansion that the growth would be overwhelming. How many millions of dollars did they spent on locations, equipment, staff, and the other aspects of opening those campus locations were wasted by their own poor management and leadership?

The office staff at the Loop Campus were inefficient, they were rude, and they even barred me from the campus over a health issue. This interrupted my classes in Accounting, I could not complete the course. I was promised by the office staff that Strayer University would pay for the course and have me enrolled in the online classes. Excuse me, I was taking the Accounting, Financial, and Statistical courses to complete the degree. I had completed 7 of the MBA classes and had the remaining 5 classes to complete the degree; this required that I be physically in a standard classroom where I could directly communicate with the Professor. Since the closure of the 20 some Midwest Campus locations with Strayer University, NOT one of those Campus Deans have contacted me about any classes.

Strayer University is a member of the academic community and promotes higher level of learning for all students, so they promote the concept while the students are in the classrooms that once upon graduation there will be the $50,000.00 yearly salaries plus for their students. Honestly, their degree is useless and pretty much not recognized. I have been out of work, consistently, since 2009. While even documenting 10 job applications per week for many years. Due to the loss of my apartment, I was thus homeless. Strayer University is one of the worst business and organizations. If you think the degree and the classes are worth your time, you will find out that Strayer University is not worth the paper it is printed upon.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

First of all they are extremely nice when they want to get you started at their college and then the first time you have a problem the attitude changes. I was a transfer student and they told me I had 11 classes to finish my degree. After 10 classes I contacted them and talked to them about graduation and all the sudden they inform me that I had 23 classes and was only halfway through. They make everything from their paperwork to their billing VERY confusing so that it is impossible to read so that you have to trust what they tell you. Then all the sudden they kept saying I wasn't turning in my work and wasn't attending classes. This was my fault for not noticing until after the classes were over and by the way if you have a problem or appeal then you have only 10 days to dispute it. I finally wised up and changed colleges. What I should have done after the first lie I was told.

THEN when you think that you are done with the college they will start billing you. They told me because I dropped out of my classes. Keep in mind these are NOT classes I enrolled in. THEY enrolled me in the classes. Then I am told because I talked to someone on the phone and do not have a email proving that I told them I didn't want to be enrolled in classes that I am responsible because I have no proof. AVOID this college!!! PLUS they are VERY expensive and will drain your student loans. They are money hungry and will use deceptive practices to get every dollar!!!!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I attended Strayer in the 09-10 sessions. After the Accounting II class I decided I should pursue my academic career at the local community college and then transfer to a 4 year college. Once I (finally) reached the 4 year college, there appeared to be some issues with credits transferring from Strayer to the new college. The new college informs me that I need to get a copy of the syllabus for the courses in question - NOT a course catalog description, but an actual syllabus - and they will review. On more than one occasion I have contacted Strayer to ask for this information and have been shut down every time. They have their own bureaucratic bs system that the 4 year college has to request the official transcripts and "at that time a representative can obtain the needed information needed to determine if the courses align with each other". It doesn't even have to be a syllabus from 09-10...even a current one will do - but no. Just no. So because of them, I have to spend more money and waste more time to retake a course I've already taken.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

My overall experience with Strayer has been mixed. The education I received I thought was on par with what I would get somewhere else, but like with any college, you do as much learning if not more, outside the classroom. Especially if you not only plan on acing the course but having a firm grip on the material. I suppose I should have mentioned before, I am a Computer Information Systems major, 31 years old and a working adult.

My complaint comes in when dealing with the staff at Strayer. They fall heavily back on the student handbook as a crutch for information and enforcing policies rather than always informing students when appropriate. Granted, we should all read policies and agreements and it is their right to enforce such policies but I also feel, they are SME (Subject Matter Experts) in these types of areas and should attempt to educate the student when they try to obtain more information on a topic.

In my experience, I am now paying more money for a class I essentially dropped because of a policy that I wasn't informed of. I should have known better but life happens and who reads the 400-page policy book. When I call in inquiring on a topic, inform me on the pros and cons. Now I am paying more and all they do is fall back on the policies. Mind you, my grades, attendance and payments have been exemplary. Just a little disappointed in how they handle things.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Strayer University legally stole my job from me under the guise of a layoff. They shut down my campus along with 20 others. What is interesting though is that they gave everyone at my location another job except for me. I had some health issues. It is classic discrimination. They promised to give me another job, but did not follow through on it. The "Dean" of the College of Business does not even have the decency to answer my emails. The "Dean" of the College of Arts and Science always tells a lie and say I wouldn't be reporting to her; even though my Ph.D. is in Educational Leadership. It's funny how they kept many of the car salesmen operations people too. They are the reason why the company failed in the Midwest in the first place.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I had filled out an application for Strayer University back in 2010. All I did was filled out the application. This year January 2014, I got a letter from the U.S. Dept of Education stating they were taking my income taxes to pay this school. I immediately called them and explained to them that I never attended the school. Yes I filled out the application but I never went to a class or anything. I then contact Strayer and ask them for ALL paperwork that they have on me including any signed forms. They give me a copy of my application and a copy of a transcript I signed and then a digitized forms showing days of attending classes. I asked them what was this. They then go the days you went to the class. I told them I never went to their school. They go, "well someone attended the classes." I said "well it wasn't me so I need you to show me proof that I went to your school." They go to say that's all we have.

There are no assignments, just a bunch of dates of someone logging in. I then emailed the Dean of the school and after asking her for proof she quit talking to me. No more response to my emails or anything. This school is so messed up. All I want is my money back and these fools out the way. I never got any notification from them about owing them money or even about classes. Go figure. This school is a bunch of crock. Be careful.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

The Strayer campus in Millersville, MD have the rudest people working there now. Back in 2010, the service was excellent but now there's a lady at the front desk called Delene and an old man in the office called Charle who doesn't even know what he's doing. Anyway them two got me going back and forth. Whenever I call her she gives me attitude on the phone and there's nobody to talk to but her.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

I am trying to complete my MBA at Strayer and I had a family life emergency. I would like to complete my MBA at Strayer University and make a payment plan while I complete my MBA. I would also like to complete my MBA by using my present graduate student loans. It is challenging to try to make a payment plan while trying to complete my MBA and graduate.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I wanted to change my field and get into Human Resources so I decided to do the HR Management certificate program at Strayer. Throughout my 18 month course, I was happy with the service and education provided by Strayer. I think I only had one professor that I didn't like. I will admit the classes were easy but not having formal education in HR, I was interested in having some formal education on my resume. The service I received from Strayer all changed as soon as I completed my courses. I did an exit interview and was told that I would receive something in the mail like a diploma of some sort to show for my education. This never came and I moved on with my life and got a job in HR. I never followed up on the diploma because I didn't necessarily need it.

THREE years after completing my courses, I go to refinance my condo and find out that Strayer has sent me to collections for $133 that I never knew about. It took me days to finally get a hold of someone to find out what was going on, to which someone from their business office told me that I owed this amount and that I had to talk to collections. As I said before, I had an exit interview and this amount was never mentioned to me and they waited over a year to send me collections notices. At this point, my email and address had changed but to my knowledge, I did not think I had any outstanding business with Strayer. I see from this site that students have had similar experiences. I will never recommend this school to anyone and will continue to let everyone know that this school is only in it for the money and could really care less about their students. Reading other posts, it just seems to me like this is a common practice of theirs not to finalize payments with their students. Now, my credit is damaged and Strayer has my money.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I withdraw from this school on January 6, 2014. Today is may 30, I called for a transcript. They stated they couldn't give me the the transcript because I owe them 1,400 dollars. I thought it was absurd! I had loans and financial aid. They never wrote me and email, or try calling me to let me know I owe that kind of money. They said I withdraw on 11/18 when I withdraw on January 6. This school sucks. They are just after your money. If they cannot get it off your loan, they will get it off your pockets. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL TO NOBODY. AFTER YOU IN, NOBODY WANTS TO HELP YOU. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE RIPOFF, DON'T GO.

Price

Reviewed April 28, 2014

School that spends a ton of money on marketing and costs a lot of money to go to is just not worth it. Then your degree will get your resume thrown in the trash first from a potential employer. I am surprised the government allows loans to this school.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

I attended Strayer University about 2 to 3 years ago. I had to leave both times for personal reasons. Why in the world would THEY call me in February of this year, asking me to come back? I immediately told them I was a previous student and that they said I owed them money. They said all was forgiven and in fact they would help me with my tuition through some program. I saw them advertising the program on TV. Oh, they even mailed me a memo describing the program.

Classes started April 9th, 2014. They contacted me Feb 2014. I explicitly expressed in March , when I realized they were dragging their feet with processing my financial aid, that I did not want to be going to classes & trying to deal with the distraction of Financial AID paperwork. Good Luck with that. That is when they turned the malarchy up to the ultimate degree.

Strayer, in the 3rd week of school, wanted me to fill out paperwork describing why I left the previous 2 times. They finally gave me this paperwork as if it was new news and no one knew that I was a previous student until the 3rd week. Why not inform me of this in Feb or March, before classes started? They are Gang stalkers and live for harassing people. How is it even legal to get away with this? To treat people this way and act as if they are not applying some sort of PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE? How do you not get paid for class when you have access to my financial aid & say I owe you money? Oh, maybe because I didn't finish the course out, they weren't reimbursed (MAYBE). In that case, this just further lets me know that I was targeted by them (in Feb 2014) and their only agenda was to gain access to my financial aid again and also harass and humiliate me.

I was persuaded, before school started and over a 2 & a 1/2 week period afterward, to come back to class, online & campus. I had to be persuaded, because shortly before school even started, I was still dealing with money paperwork. I was told to come back after classes started because I stopped logging in and missed 2nd Week campus class because they were still acting funky. Oh yeah, "corporate" or "main" campus, somewhere in DC or VA was calling me about paperwork. They said they didn't receive something. When I called my "enrollment" campus, they said the paperwork was sent in. I called "out of town" office back, they said they JUST received it. They said it was JUST UPLOADED. Mind games by the corporate out of town office or in town enrollment campus.

May I add that the actual mess started March 22nd, a Saturday. That was Orientation, and the day I tried to meet with my financial aid advisor or anyone for that matter to make sure there were no loose ends. I was rushed out of the office, in their own sneaky way, politely. There were a lot of little interactions that went on from March 22, 2014 up to today April 23, 2014. May I also add that the 1 of the previous times I enrolled in Strayer, I recognized 1 of the enrollment officers. I asked her if she went to a school in the city we now live in, she said No. I thought she was lying, she wasn't. Actually, we are both from the same state which is New York and we both now live in North Carolina. I knew we went to school together; I got the states mixed up. She didn't remember my face. It took 2-3 years later for us to realize that we went to school together.

I was upset about having to deal with paperwork and she was acting like she was trying to help me. I told her, "I know you," and asked her again if she went to Jr. High here in NC. She said no and said she went to a certain school in NY. When she named the school, that is when I realized I knew her from NY. Gang stalking tendencies. MONITOR. If I had enough money for a lawyer, I would take them to court. I know there has to be some kind of description in the law for Strayer's behavior. If it is called bill collecting, this type of tactic needs to be outlawed. I strongly dislike them.

PriceStaff

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I went to Strayer for three semester. I signed up as a law student and for three Semester I only took law one Legal classes. When I started questioning them about it, they kept tell me I needed to take one more Marketing Classes. When I told them I would not be taking any more marketing classes and that I wouldn't be attending Strayer anymore because I sign up for Law and all they were giving me is Marketing classes, which had nothing to do with law, they wouldn't release my transcript and started telling me that I owe them 525.00 for classes which they held for me.

I had financial aid. I don't owe any money. I did not attend any classes for the next Semester plus they didn't have anyone to teach the classes. This is not fair. All they want is your financial aid. They don't care about their students. Without my transcripts it is hard for me to get financial again. On the television when you first get out of the elevators it is flashing across the screen in bold print if you drop before the first 3 weeks you will not be charged for the classes. Now they want to charge 525.00 for classes when I told them way before classes begin I would not be attending any more classes at Strayer. I would be going to community college.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Strayer University needs to be more open and upfront with all the fees that they charge their students. I recently had to drop a course due to personal family issues and was charged a no show fee of $250. When I tried to explain the situation to the young lady that called me, she kept interrupting me and basically was acting in a manner that led me to think my explanation was falling on deaf ears. The university employees are very energetic and helpful when trying to get new students enrolled but once the classes start, the energetic and helpful mannerisms all but disappear. I am glad that I found this out before I got too involved with my degree with them. I will not be recommending Strayer University to anyone based on the horrible experience I have had with them. I realized now that a for profit university is just that for profit.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I had to drop my classes during the 3rd week of classes for an extreme personal matter; I was in a car accident and needed to have a brain surgery. I contacted the school and told them about my situation and they basically said too bad and I couldn't drop classes after week three and I was stuck with a large bill and I was six classes away from graduating. I had no idea that I only had two weeks to drop a class! That is ridiculous and they wouldn't consider my position at all. I was even accused of just trying to get out of classes. I brought paperwork from my Neurosurgeon and everything. So basically I have to start all over again and try to get a degree somewhere else. A lot of wasted time and money.

PricePunctuality & SpeedStaffEase of Use

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I have read the reviews on here, though I personally never experienced the Federal Student Loan issues, each student does have the right to contact the loan provider and file a complaint if they feel their funds were not properly utilized by the school. We are adults pursuing our education, many of the complaints I read on here could have easily been avoided if the students simply did the research prior to enrolling.

My experience overall was excellent, I started in the Teays Valley, WV Campus and finished in the West Palm Beach one. The only complaint that I have is the $150 they charge at the end of your Master program to confer your degree, seriously!?! I paid for a Master program, and they want to charge me to tell me I graduated when I maintained a 4.0 and fulfilled all requirements. Sad.

Other than that, I loved my professors. Many were prior military who really brought their experiences into the online classes I took. I initially was terrified of writing all the papers required in my Master of HR but ended up mastering that as well. I found it very easy to navigate, but like I said, I was luck to have been an online student at two great campuses. The staff at both were on top of my paperwork, there were a few minor glitches but they were quickly resolved. Essentially, I did my research prior to choosing Strayer and maintained my own progress for three years as I completed my graduate degree. I used so much of what I learned on a daily basis that to me it was well worth the journey.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I attended Strayer Thousand Oaks campus in 2007. Being a first time student I didn't know to pay attention to tuition cost, online versus on campus, etc. After my first two years I was coasting along under the impression I was on track for my degree since I never received communication via email or mail stating otherwise. In 2010 I was under the impression that I had completed my degree. I was transferring to another university while being dual enrolled at Strayer. After completing and going through the commencement to graduate process I stumbled upon a few blocks stating "you haven't completed 2-3 classes". I notified the campus dean and he also informed the commencement office of my courses completed. I was cleared to graduate and paid the graduation fee.

Several months passed when I noticed I had not received my degree in the mail. I followed up to find out they had done nothing yet overcharged my federal loans. I'M LIVID being that I've emailed back and forth as my proof stating they didn't complete their obligations. Now I'm suffering because staff is no longer with the company to substantiate in adequate work on their behalf. NOT ACCEPTABLE yet no one cares since it's been over a year of runarounds.

Christopher increased rating by 3 stars.
    Contract & TermsStaff
    After a positive interaction with Strayer University, Christopher increased their star rating on Feb. 3, 2014.

Updated review: Feb. 3, 2014

I received an email from the Columbia SC business staff and they sent a detailed explanation and cleared up the issue.

Original Review: Feb. 2, 2014

So I am using post 911 GI bill. I signed up for the Winter term. Strayer's staff even told me that VA doesn't pay till around week 4. Early in the winter term one of their counselors contacted me to sign up for the spring term, only the second one there. So now I have charges for two terms on my account, okay. Then the VA does pay for one term. Then one day later on my account, Strayer has it going to third party, it's like they didn't even apply the VA payment. So they send the winter term to third party, and at the same time they sent the spring term to third party, which doesn't start for over a month. How can this be? They sent a charge which the VA had paid for to third party and charges for a future term to third party. I have emailed their staff but I don't have any warm fuzzies they will resolve it. I guess I am going to have to see if the VA has a fraud line, not sure if they care if the schools they pay are giving the vets a hard time but there has to be something I can do. This is completely unacceptable, on any level.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Jan. 30, 2014

I asked my financial aid advisor before the winter semester began to drop my classes because she claimed that I didn't have enough financial aid or loans to cover my last semester. She claimed that the amount was prorated and I would only receive about half of my grant. She told me not to drop the classes and she would even make sure I got the books that I needed from her sister that also attended the college. Since she was my financial aid advisor I thought I could trust her. After the first week of classes she claimed her sister had the books that I needed and could use. The books she gave me at the end of week two were outdated and could not be used for either class. I still have those books by the way.

I asked her again to drop my classes. Then all of a sudden she tells me in the beginning of the third week of classes that I do have enough for books. I had to then order them and wait approximately a week for shipment because I didn't have enough for expedited shipping. By the fourth week I was behind in both classes and had two eight-paged papers due that week that would have been impossible to complete in the time allotted. Those papers were 50% of my grade and I would have failed for the semester. Finally in the beginning of week five, I told her that I could not continue my education like this and needed to drop my classes because I didn't want to affect my GPA or end up owing money for dropping the classes. This is when she told me I would not owe anything as long as I dropped within a certain time frame. I had her drop the classes.

I had not attended Strayer since February of 2012; I only received a bill via email in May 2012 after I registered for summer classes to finish my degree. I then asked another financial aid advisor (the other one no longer worked there) to send me documentation showing me what this bill is for and still haven't received anything yet. They are now holding this so-called bill over my head preventing me from completing my degree which I am now responsible for paying the student loans. I also received a letter in the mail claiming that money had been disbursed to Strayer University in April of 2013 from Direct Loans when I was no longer a student there, but no one there seems to know anything about that either.

Reviewed Jan. 24, 2014

I am very upset with my experience. I have been going to Strayer for all of 3 weeks and had to withdraw due to some personal reasons. I was treated horrible by all of the staff. ** from the business office was very rude. They refused to write me a SIMPLE letter that I withdrew from school because apparently after 3 weeks of school I somehow owe them $1700. This is crazy. I feel like I was just robbed. If I would have know that they were going to be NOT so helpful then I would have never applied to this school. Please do yourself a favor and apply to a different school. Don't make the same mistake I did. They act so helpful and polite on the phone but as soon as something happens with you, they're not so friendly anymore.

Reviewed Jan. 10, 2014

I attended Strayer University and was told during the application process that the Educational Leadership masters was the same as Administrator Certification program. I completed the degree (Dec 2010) only to find that I paid more than $60,000 for a degree that is no help. I already had a Master's degree and entered this program specifically to obtain certification to become a principal. I have complained to the university on several occasion but nothing has been done and they don't return my calls.

Reviewed Jan. 6, 2014

I registered for classes in Winter of 2013, all was well everybody was good until I got to the middle of the first quarter when I received a call and was told that I could not continue with my classes despite having filled in the FASFA and grants that was approved. I was asked for additional documents which I presented, but still no one could explain to me properly what was going on. I have been trying effortless to get in touch with someone from the Campus who could assist but no luck. I received a letter that my student loan went to collections and that I should pay it off before I can take classes at Strayer. I finally contacted the corporate office and spoke with someone who there is a note that says I paid out of pocket which was not true and said the matter will be looked into and up to know I call live voice messages and clearly no one has got in touch with me. Really confuse and upset, I have wasted so much time waiting to resume classes. I believe we all deserve equal opportunities.

Reviewed Dec. 20, 2013

I have had an ongoing problem with the Business Office/Accounting with Strayer University. Though you are required to pay for classes prior to taking them (this could include them confirming financial aid and/or student loans), prepayment is required, and if funding through grants or loans falls through, you are ejected from a course. For four years, I had no problems, but after completing a degree program, they began to claim never receiving funds for some classes. Records have been provided showing that activity posted to student loans, which means they created transactions! So, now, what happened to the funding they received... and why are they hounding a student for additional monies?

CoveragePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Dec. 10, 2013

I am currently a student at Strayer University. Due to my illness, I have missed two assignments and failed my midterm exam. I have reached out to the professor multiple times explaining the situation. Each time the professor would only state the late policy. The academic team did reach out to me, however they did not help correct the situation - half stepped. After this semester, I'm leaving this University and going to a local college. I refuse to have them suck any more money out of my pockets. Stay away from For Profit institutions. All of them are the same - waste of time and money.

Staff

Reviewed Dec. 5, 2013

I have attended a couple other colleges before I settled at Strayer, and I can say that Strayer is the best. I attend the North Austin Campus. The dean, professors, and office staff (including Financial Aid) are all extremely helpful and very knowledgeable about their subjects. Sitting down and talking to the Financial Advisor on campus, I was able to get everything situated with financial aid and my GI Bill. All experiences so far at Strayer are positive. I would definitely recommend this school to others. Just make sure you are ready to make the commitment first. It is hard work to get a degree.

Reviewed Nov. 20, 2013

I started enrolled back in Aug 2013, in which the semester did not start until Oct 7, 2013, so I was way ahead of time with all of my paperwork. I am using my post 9/11 bill to pay for my classes, but I'm also using financial aid to help pay for some things. I was told by someone in the business office that I would receive a disbursement by the middle of November. Come to find out, they haven't even sent the VA my tuition costs so they can pay for my classes. I've called and emailed them at least 20 times to find out why they haven't sent the fees over to the VA. I called the VA and they stated that they have no problem paying for my class but they haven't received anything from Strayer. Here it is the 7th week of class and still nothing has been sent.

Strayer is misleading and a waste of my time. They've also billed the VA for winter and spring semesters in the amount of $9,290. Imagine that!!! I will not be attending for those semesters so they can take that bill off. I attended St Petersburg College in Florida and had my disbursement by the 4th week of a 16 week course. They business office in Katy, TX is a disaster and I'm tired of dealing with them to be honest. I'm having to deal with some much bigger issues and they want to play with my money.

Price

Reviewed Nov. 19, 2013

This university will often steer current prospective students to use Federal Student Financial Aid even though they qualify for an alternate payment program that does not include student loans. For example in my case the Post 911 GI Bill which pays 100% of tuition and fees plus a book stipend. Not to mention that it helps the veteran with other associated cost of housing, supplies, and miscellaneous cost with the BAH. The business office at the N. Indianapolis Campus did not submit my enrollment to the VA for payment, instead encouraged the Financial Aid. Why would anyone take a loan over a benefit that would pay 100% of the tuition. The counselors keep referring you back to the business office, but those are the ones that are creating this mess. Now that I have read other post by other concern veterans, this now seems to be a trend or practice at Strayer in which now will prompt me to withdraw immediately and file a grievance. I would also suggest others in the same situation do the same. After all there is strength in numbers.

Reviewed Nov. 17, 2013

i am confused about this college or program, too many unhappy students about their loan $$. Also I want to know if this college is equal to our community local college. If I finish my 2 years here, then can I go back to regular college around me? Please advise.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaffProcess

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2013

Strayer sold me on a Bachelors Degree in 2010. I started classes in 2011 and everything went well until the beginning of 2013. Financial Aid will push you to take out the full amount you can get in loans, which may be great for some getting those refund checks every quarter but they don't ever once tell you that if you do this it won't cover the entire degree.

I got a call stating that I had reached my lifetime percentage for Pell and that was being dropped. I luckily kept up with this information myself and returned to them all the documentation from the government showing that I was fully eligible for quite some time. Once this was re-instated I decided to go over the math myself and realized if I continued with 2 classes per quarter that financial aid would still not cover everything.

Now, I have to fight with representatives every quarter to get my 3 classes, some quarters I owe $600 and some I get a refund. Dealing with the process is much harder than it should be and the people you talk to are not qualified to answer questions. All I can say to other students is know your own loans and what they will cover and tell these people what you want them to do because if you leave decisions up to them you will end up in a mess owing money.

Reviewed Nov. 5, 2013

I recently went to finance a car and was told I was in collections/charge off with Strayer University. I find this hard to believe because I received my transcripts from Strayer to transfer to another college. You should not be able to receive your transcripts if you have a financial hold on your account. I also have not received any notice of collections for this. I tried contacting the Center City - Philadelphia campus at (267) 256-0280, but the phone rings and rings then disconnects you without even being able to leave a voicemail.

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2013

I attended Strayer for over 2 years. At first everything seemed great. They had a delay with my GI Bill so they set me up with a temporary Fedloan until the money came through from the VA. But CONSTANTLY the VA and Strayer were at a disconnect. I would be re-enrolling with school EVERY semester because the VA checks didn't come yet. Payments weren't being shown, checks "lost", over payments being kept. It has been over a year since I've attended classes and I'm STILL fighting with them about payments the VA shows they received but sent me to collections for!!!!

Even still I kept the option open to attend in the future, until the VA took my entire tax refund due to over payments to Strayer and then getting a $2300 collections attack all in the same week. No matter how I go about this I'm always getting the runaround. Strayer has NO idea what they are doing with the VA, and SOMEONE is stealing money out of MY hard earned GI Bill. Also, let’s not forget their EVER CHANGING degrees available.

Hello,

We appreciate you taking the time to write us here and recognize that you are frustrated with your GI Bill situation. If you would like, we could help connect you with the Student Affairs team here. Please email us at getanswers@strayer.edu with details of your concern, your student id number if you know it and a contact phone number.

Reviewed Oct. 25, 2013

I still haven't received my financial aid refund. They switched me out of my classes without my knowledge, and now it has been 3 weeks and still no refund. I've been at this school for two quarters now. This is getting really time consuming.

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for letting us know. For all issues relating to your financial aid disbursement, please contact your home campus business office manager. They will have access to your account and will be able to let you know what is going on. Thanks.

Reviewed Oct. 13, 2013

This school withdrew me from classes for no reason. I have been trying to contact the school and everyone who was familiar with my situation is no longer there. I even tried to contact the President of the school with no response. At first I was extremely happy with Strayer, then with turnover, people kept changing and I feel I got lost in the system. I provided every piece of documentation they asked for.

Hello,

We appreciate you taking the time to notify of us of your experience. We're sorry to hear that you have not been able to reach anyone at the campus level as this is not the experience we wish our students to have. Please write us at getanswers@strayer.edu with your student id number, details of the situation and your contact phone number. At that point, we can connect you with the Student Affairs team who can look into your concerns.

Reviewed Oct. 8, 2013

I recently graduated from Strayer in June 2013 with an MBA in Human Resource Management. I had no problems at all with the school while obtaining my master's degree (I received my bachelor's degree from another college). My problem is I referred my daughter to Strayer when she moved back with me while her husband was being deployed to Afghanistan. She transferred in from University of North Carolina in Charlotte, NC. She attended another college after she graduated from high school but that college was only after the money. Her advisors had her taking classes she didn't even need; it was being paid by Pell grants and loans. So I moved her to Charlotte and she attended UNC (she had to change her major).

Okay long story short...every since she attended Strayer, they had problems with her financial aid. They would either call her and tell her she owed money or she was owed a refund; she didn't know what to believe and neither did I. Now she has one more quarter to finish her bachelor's degree (winter 2014 quarter - 2 classes after this semester). She received a call this summer saying all of her financial aid and loans had been exhausted because she was receiving it for 6 years between the other schools. They said she had to pay for the fall and winter quarter out of her pocket which is over $7,000.

Her husband is back from overseas and they are now stationed in Kansas. She does not have that kind of money and neither do I (in which I had already had to pay out of my pocket for her to Strayer for the Summer quarter before she could attend, $658). They said she was short that amount of money but turned around and gave her a refund for $300 in which she paid for her books for the Fall quarter (I wonder if they know what they are doing at all). The people at Financial Aid told her she can apply to Sallie Mae to see if she qualify. She did but it was rejected saying she needed a co-signer in which she asked seven people (they did the application and were denied also). So now she is upset and disappointed that she may not be able to complete her degree and so am I.

So I called and spoke to someone at the Raleigh campus to see if they could provide any additional help for my daughter to complete her degree because neither of us have $7,000 on hand. So I happen to mention to the person that her husband was in the military. He began to inform me that there were discounts on classes for those who are in the military or military spouses. He began to say that they could provide the discount to the fall and winter classes (provided that proof is shown that the spouse is active duty - which is not a problem) but he was going to check to see if they can retro back to the other classes and provide the discount as well just as long as the spouse was active duty in the military while she attended Strayer University (She began in May 2011- in which that is not a problem). This person kept saying if she had mentioned that she was the spouse of an active duty service member, then they could have done this sooner.

My whole issue is there was nothing stated on any application or no one asked if she was the spouse of an active duty service member so how was she to know? I asked him that question but he kept trying to change the subject saying it was my daughter's fault because she should have told someone; if you weren't asked that question, why volunteer that information? I asked for the campus director's name and phone number to speak with her; he gave it to me but he began to get bitter about it.

I want my daughter to finish her education in the winter. I don't want her to have to stop her schooling because of money issues; she was thinking to pursue her Master's degree at Strayer also. We don't have the money now but will have it at the beginning of the year before she finishes (they are asking for money now). If it is true about the military discount, I need someone to look into this and apply it to her account to ease the burden on us and if it is possible to apply that discount to the classes she had already taken, it would be a Blessing. We have been having communication issues with the staff at Strayer ever since she had been attending, so that is why I am looking elsewhere for possible help. After all, I was the one who referred her to Strayer; I have been praying and asking God to help us - I have faith that He will. Could someone help us in this situation? I have not heard from the Campus Director (I called and left a message). Thanking you in advance for your help, and looking forward to a reply from you.

Reviewed Oct. 8, 2013

I have been enrolled with Strayer Nashville since 2010. The beginning of this year (2013) I was called and told that in August I would graduated with my bachelor's degree. As excited as I was I called back the following week and cleared up the misunderstanding. I still had classes to finish. Then after that quarter I was yet again notified I could graduate. All this information was wrong but what was correct was the fact I was out of my financial aid and exhausted my student loans. I spoke with my dean, advisor, financial aid and various others to switch my degree to AA so that I could achieve at least one degree prior to running out of funding.

Now after completing what was to be my last semester I receive notification that I must again retake a class. This is a class I was assured I did not need to retake. Well now that funds are exhausted I cannot get my degree without paying out of pocket for a class I was assured I did not have to retake. I have spent much of this year fighting with a staff that seems to know less about their job each time. I am seeking out legal advice because I have been deceived on several levels from the school. They have received all my financial aid from both loans and FASFA. This was to pay for my education and correct and honest business practices on their part.

Hello,

We appreciate you letting us know about your class and financial aid situation and understand your frustration with how things have transpired. We would love the opportunity to connect you with the Student Affairs team who can look into this further for you. Please email us at getanswers@strayer.edu with details of your concern, your student id number and a contact phone number.

Reviewed Oct. 8, 2013

I was a graduate student at Strayer University. I was very sure that I was not going to be enrolled in the following semester. The semester that I was enrolled, I called them and told them that I DO NOT want to be enrolled the next semester and I asked him what I need to do for that. He very clearly told me that I do not need to do anything. However, I somehow got enrolled while I was out of town and when I found out, it was too late and they charged me dropout charge and sent those charges to the collection agency. If it was in any way mistake on my side, I wouldn't mind paying the dropout charge. I feel like I am being penalized for your oversight. I would also like to mention that I very much liked the teachers and the classes of your university. If this matter could be settled in a fair manner, I plan to come back and finish my graduate program from Strayer University.

Hello,

Thank you for letting us know about your situation. We recognize your frustration and are sorry to hear you have had some difficulty sorting this out. Please write us at getanswers@strayer.edu with details of your concern, your student it number and a contact phone number. From there we can put you in touch with the Student Affairs team who can look further into this enrollment situation for you.

Reviewed Oct. 7, 2013

Great school, it's just very unorganized. Well depends on which one you go to. I decided to drop it before classes started. One, they were late telling my book voucher, I ran all around Charlotte to the IRS for a transcript when they didn't even need it. Had to also get a form from my old school which they didn't need. It was too unorganized for me, if they couldn't even do that, then no telling where my money would have ended up for the out of pocket expenses for the courses! You appreciate them paying for my books though. But overall, need to have better people that will actually answer questions instead of just sitting behind a desk collecting a pay check. Never again.

Reviewed Oct. 2, 2013

I have been very pleased with my experience with Strayer up until this moment. I am about to begin my second masters program in next week. I have a financial aid application on file and I got admitted into my second program since July. I have been calling and emailing the Columbia, SC campus for weeks and nothing is resolved. I still don't have a financial aid package for my new program. I was finally issued book vouchers but that is based on the estimated aid I will receive. I was about to withdraw because I hate not having my text materials to start my classes. I like to be prepared. I am so disappointed because of the way I have been treated. I started emailing since July and here it is October , but no financial aid package yet. I am eligible for financial aid and I have funds available to pursue my second program. I am angry that no one helps me or resolves the issue. Even when someone contacts me they never bring closure to my situation.

Hello,

We're sorry to hear that you have had difficulty getting your financial aid situation sorted out at the campus level. Please write us at getanswers@strayer.edu with details of your situation and include your student id number and a contact phone number. We would love to help put you in touch with the Student Affairs team who can look into your situation.

Reviewed Sept. 30, 2013

I have two scenarios that has stopped me from proceeding in my education. I began a new semester in April of 2009, which I had several obstacles that occurred, which I withdrew my classes early enough not to be charged. Oh my did Strayer go after me with the big guns for their money. I've explained and sent email documentation of my withdrawal in 2009, showing I withdrew in enough time that I didn't owe $1241.00. Upset! Second infraction I was taken classes online in 2010, but the dean at the time registered me on campus for what reasons I do not know. Once he found out I was taken the classes online and not getting grades for on campus as he wished, he withdrew my classes, while I was taken my classes.

Now over the last three years have been unable to take these classes, due to me owing $141.00 for a book 2010 plus owing 241.00 for classes that I withdrew in 2009. Yes, I called and emailed Student Affairs with no response to either. This is truly sad. Oh, plus I was told I have no financial aid money. What has happened to this money, when I just became a junior but haven't been able to take any classes? Yes, I paid $1000.00 in March of 2013 to get started as instructed, but as usual employee left and new person says different. This school changes employees like water, so you're lost, because the one who has worked with you has left the building. HELP, LET ME COMPLETE MY EDUCATION.

UPDATED ON 03/13/2017: I was contacted by a Strayer University (White Marsh) Representative Dec 2015, stating "Come back and finish, due to you being so short of graduating." Phase 1- I explained that in 2005 I had passed a math class, which in 2010 the Dean of White Marsh Campus felt I could do better and withdrew my classes. I signed up for the Winter 2016 and completed my Math and another class with B's. I then signed up for the Spring 2016 and completed both with B's. I signed up for the summer classes and was informed July 8, 2016, that I needed my husband's 2014 Account Transcript for FASA 2014-15, which I explained we had done our taxes separately and that my husband was on disability. I wasn't able to take the Summer 2016 classes. I contacted my husband in reference to his documents, which he explained he was on disability and we had done our paperwork separately.

I contacted the school, the finance department and stated this information. I was informed by the Finance Department in VA to give them his information, so they could gather this information. I didn't think this was appropriate. It took me until August to get my husband taxes together and file them online. I received a receipt stating it was sent to the IRS, which I contacted and was informed the representative couldn't speak with me, due to my husband and myself doing separate taxes. I had my husband speak with the IRS representative, which informed me the paperwork was never received. I was told to mail this information in. I mailed the documents to the IRS, which again the paperwork was never received. I informed Strayer University of every step I made through email, which I have all emails too and from the Finance Department and Strayer (White Marsh).

I resubmitted my husband's documents to the IRS, with a two day receipt, which was received at the IRS on December 11, 2016. My husband contacted IRS, which the document takes 6 to 8 weeks to process. I finally received my husband's Account Transcript the end of January 2017 and contacted Strayer with the Zero (0) that I explained in the beginning when requested. Now I couldn't participate in any classes until this was resolved, which meant I missed the Summer 2016 and Winter 2016. I contacted Strayer of the document and was informed it was too late. The beginning of February I received an invoice for $5669.25. I can't afford to pay this amount at one time. I contacted Strayer, which I was informed to get a loan through Sallie Mae. I know my budget. I contacted the Finance Department and was informed to speak with the Dean. I spoke with the Dean and was informed to speak with the Director.

I contacted the Director that stated I needed to speak with Financial Affairs, due to be putting a complaint in a while ago. Why am I being tossed to this and that department to only have so few classes to graduate. I need help with this financial situation that never should of been given late. This paperwork request should've been asked when I started my classes in January 2016. I was informed two weeks after the original invoice that I needed to pay my past due amount or I will go into collections. I have to pay a fee while participating, stating I've ran out of money and have to make up the difference, plus I had to pay for all my books. I need help resolving this issue so I can finish my classes and graduate. I've been in this school since 2005, which 2009 I had an accident and withdrew my classes through fax prior to the start date of classes and still had to pay a fee.

In 2010 I started back and my classes were withdrew by the Dean (Army), which felt I could do better on this math grad. In 2011 I started back, which was denied because I had to retake my math class. In the Strayer Book (D) was a passing grade. This grade was from 2005 and Strayer received their finance money for this and I received my credit, now it's not passing, which the book says different. Like I said I retook the class, received a B and Strayer received another payment. I contacted Strayer in 2013, which Informed me that the syllabus had changed and some of my classes were put as electives, due to the changes of new classes. I became bitter and wouldn't return to school. As stated in the beginning of the message in December 2015, I was contacted to return and graduate. How can I do this when Strayer requested document late and is penalizing me for their actions.

Hello,

Thanks for letting us know about your experience. We apologize that you have not received the help that you had hoped for and recognize that you are frustrated with the situation. We would love to help put you in touch with the Student Affairs team. Please email us at getanswers@strayer.edu with your student id number, a contact phone number, and details of your situation.

Customer ServicePriceStaffProcess

Reviewed Aug. 31, 2013

I started at Strayer in 2005 and withdrew. Recently, I resumed and requested accommodations for a documented disability. The request was approved but, it appears that no one in the office of disability services has a clinical background and can understand my condition. Upon withdrawing recently, I had to pay the fees and cost although the condition was documented and the cause for withdrawing was unforeseen. Upon resuming the courses, I am again experiencing difficulty and feel there is no place to turn. I am still awaiting a call from the office of disability services. When you call the dean's or business offices, they all seem to be concerned about the bottom line. In my opinion, Strayer can be beneficial for the average working adult but, for those that require additional assistance, not so much. It would have been easier for them to just tell me outright I don't have a valid condition to be granted accommodations. Just as every professor is different so is every student and for the cost of Strayer, the value of every student should be the same. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to transfer as some others. Not many other schools offer my program and I am almost done.