2. Education
  3. Online Colleges
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.56/5

Ashford University is an online, accredited for-profit university. With more than 60 available degrees and the ability to pursue an associate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree, Ashford University offers a wide variety of options for students with all backgrounds. Ashford also has grant programs specifically for the military, including active duty, veterans, spouses and dependents.

Ashford University Video

BOTTOM LINE

With a wide variety of degree options and no set class schedules, Ashford University offers flexibility for nontraditional students. Although resources are limited, grants and transfer options help make it more affordable.

PROS

• Variety of degrees
  • 90 credit transfers
  • Accredited
  • Military grants

CONS

• Limited resources
  • No on-site program

Top Ashford University Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

The curriculum from Ashford University was tailored to what I was looking for. And their classes were a little bit more condensed. ... As long as you do what you're supposed to do, it's pretty easy to do. My experience was pretty good… I just finished my bachelor's. Now, I'm working on my master's.

Thank you Ashford for offering those wonderful scholarships because school is something very important ... So it's amazing that they not only partner with various companies who are interested in their employees reaching their educational goals, but they also helped meet the gap.

What is Ashford University?

Ashford University is an accredited, for-profit university that offers more than 60 academic degrees. All Ashford University degrees are completed through its online platform, which allows students to log in at any time and not just during normal school hours.

Students communicate with instructors and peers through discussion boards, submit assignments through portals and access a full range of digital materials designed to make the learning experience as impactful and straightforward as possible. Courses last between five and six weeks.

While some online schools don’t allow students to transfer their credits, Ashford allows a maximum transfer of 90 Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts credit transfers to help make learning more affordable and personalized. This includes nontraditional credits, including ones earned through the military, vocational training or professional experience.

Ashford University’s master’s programs do not require students to take the GMAT or GRE, which makes the application process easier.

Ashford University degrees

Ashford University’s online degrees are designed for any skill set or career goal. Bachelor’s degrees are available in some of the most in-demand fields, including health care, information management, education and business administration.

Ashford University masterj's degree programs include health care administration, psychology, human resource management, criminal justice, finance and more. It offers doctoral degrees in psychology, philosophy in education, philosophy in human services and philosophy in organizational development and leadership.

With the Ashford University degree finder, students can find options based on their desired career path. For example, students who say they want to “explore something new” are matched with degree options like instructional design, child development or business information systems based on their previous experience.

Ashford University tuition

Ashford University’s tuition varies by degree. For students pursuing an undergraduate degree, the cost is $510 per credit, plus a $115 technology fee per course. For reference, it takes a minimum of 120 credits to graduate with a bachelor’s degree, which would add up to around $61,200 plus fees for students who take all their courses online through Ashford.

Ashford University master’s programs cost between $635 and $740 per credit, and doctoral degrees cost $1,082 per credit, plus a $145 technology fee per course. The doctoral program also requires three in-residence workshops, with a cost of $500 per workshop, and a $500 Dissertation/Applied Doctoral Project Support fee.

Ashford University offers a variety of scholarships and grants for eligible students, including business school scholarships, teacher scholarships, grants for registered nurses and more.

Ashford University FAQ

Is Ashford University accredited?
Yes. Ashford University is regionally accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). Regional accreditation means that more credit transfers are allowed than with national accreditation.
Where is Ashford University?
Ashford University is located in San Diego, California.
Is Ashford University a good school?
Yes, Ashford University is a good school for students who want a nontraditional learning experience from an accredited university.
Is Ashford University for profit?
Yes, Ashford University is for profit.
How much does Ashford University cost?
It depends on the degree program. Undergraduate degree programs cost $510 per credit, master’s degree programs cost between $635 and $740 per credit, and doctoral programs cost $1,082 per credit. These programs also include a technology fee per course, between $115 and $145, and other additional costs, including fees for workshops, books, diplomas and more.
Does Ashford University offer laptops?
No, Ashford University does not offer laptops for students.

Is Ashford University legit?

For nontraditional students who want a flexible learning experience, Ashford University is a great option. While the community may not be as robust as some other universities, there are a wide variety of Ashford University degrees available and classes can be taken at any time, anywhere. And, based on the national cost per credit hour average of $594, Ashford University offers a fair price on its accredited degrees.

Ashford University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I had some difficulties with my degree plan and making sure that I was on track. There was a couple of different mix-ups in how many classes I was gonna have to take. That was kind of like a battle throughout the entire year. It was a little frustrating. I already had over 90 hours complete, so there was a mix-up of them wanting to meet certain requirements. I've never had a good grasp on my timeline and what I needed to complete to graduate. It flip-flopped several times while I was a student.

There were parts during transferring that were easy, but then there were parts that required really intense follow-up. It made it kind of annoying and cumbersome to make sure that everything got done and I had all my ducks in a row. So there was a lot of focus on the administrative functions to make sure that they got done. I was always an 11-year college student so I've had other bad experiences with universities in regards to that stuff. I work in the financial industry and I know the flow and process.

Lucky for me, I had a good foundation to make sure things get done just from my work experience. But as a student that didn't have that prior exposure, I can imagine they can let things go unnoticed for some time, and then turn around and kinda be screwed on having to take more classes or not having stuff the way it should be. They would be losing resources or time on unchecked errors. I had some frustrations with Ashford but I didn't have high expectations to begin with. So I kinda was able to navigate it.

From an academic standpoint, the classroom was all fine. It was a good experience too. There were some classes where I felt that the coursework was little redundant and could be steered a little bit differently. But those are very niche complaints. All the professors were knowledgeable. I took scientific writing and it wasn't until the third or fourth week that I even knew what the class was really about. It kinda felt like it was aimless at some points. For it to be such a technical class and then having it online, there were certain aspects of the class that it was almost like watching a movie and starting in the middle and then there were three different plots to the movie. The flow was disorganized. It's almost like a class that you really just need to have introduced in person. I made straight A's and it was the only class that I got a B in. But the instructor knew the content and the coursework. They were knowledgeable.

If you can get going and get started in the classroom, and if you can just focus on being a student, I recommend Ashford. I went to three different advisors. I kept getting the switch but they were all super sweet. They all treated me very well. I'm not an online person, so I'm very much in person lecture. I have very short attention span and low discipline. But the online structure caused me to research things and take ownership of my education, which made me a little bit more educational fruit in the process. So, as a student, they did a great job, but there are definitely opportunities for growth and guidance on the administrative side.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I liked that Ashford was accredited, the initial evaluation, and the level of support that the program itself had. Enrolling was fairly simple. I graduated in high school in ’88, so I hadn’t taken a class in 28 years. I had been out of the classroom for that period of time. It was difficult for me to acclimate, but I thought that the way Ashford had the classes set up was to get you acclimated. So, from the first couple of classes, everything was writing so it got you acclimated to writing and to using the libraries. The first few classes got you using all of the things that were available. I was a better student my last year than I was my freshman year.

My learning experience was great. There are limitations because you’re doing everything online. So, it’s a different type of learning experience. It could be challenging. Some people learn better in the classroom. You have to make that adjustment. For example, I had to take two math classes. I struggled with those, and I had to use the online tutors. But Ashford had online tutors. So, it was challenging, but I made it through. Ashford really did have everything in place. So, it made it easier, and you have to put time in. I struggled the times that I didn’t. I’m balancing my full time job, and then I'm a full time husband, full time parent, and then sometimes, I left school for last.

Ashford's professors were really good. Some were more challenging than others. I found that, for the most part, the professors that had PhDs or were doctors were even more demanding. You could get a 4.0 on your discussion. The professors that had PhDs and doctorates might give you a 3.8. They were much more aggressive with their scoring. They expected more. It depended on the class though.

The biggest thing is not knowing what to expect. Coming back to a classroom after almost 30 years, I thought that Ashford really had all the support things in place to get you acclimated to the classroom again, and did have all the different support mechanisms in place to be successful. Now, you have to use the different tutors. I got kids in college and some of those things aren’t available to them at that level, but Ashford has every single thing in place, from the libraries to the online tutors. If you work the program kinda thing, there’s no reason why you would fail.

You have to put your time in there and in your papers because everything is writing. So, each week, I built upon the following week. If I kept my grade high enough, at the end, I knew how hard I had to work to maintain my grade. I finished with a 3.6. Overall, it was a great learning experience for a returning student. Ashford is set up for any type of student, but for a working professional that wants to get a degree at the same time, it was kinda set up perfectly for that.

Ashford University response

Thanks for sharing your detailed experience with the community, Orlando. Your hard work and dedication did not go unnoticed, and we look forward to your bright future. Please keep in touch on all that you achieve!

Original review: May 10, 2020

I work for Cox Automotive, and at the time I heard about Ashford, I was at a leadership conference in 2018 in Las Vegas. A colleague of mine who also graduated from Ashford, mentioned she had some homework to go do. I’m said, “What are you talking about, homework? We’re in Las Vegas.” She was working on her master’s degree and she mentioned Ashford University. She said, “You should look into it because Cox paid for it.” So, when I got back from that trip, I went into our Cox Automotive website, pulled the information for Ashford, and got in touch. I enrolled because I needed two years left to finish my degree. And as long as I chose Ashford and maintained a C average or above, Cox Automotive paid for everything out of pocket first so I didn't have to pay first and then get reimbursed. They paid all of it upfront. So, it was an incredible benefit to take advantage of.

Unfortunately, they’ve suspended the program through the COVID. I was enrolled in the master’s program, so that’s been suspended until next year. But the instructors that I worked with were great. The students were great. The course material was really good. There were times that I was challenged to the point where I just wanted to quit because I felt like I couldn't get through the classes. I would reach out to other students or the instructors for help, and the feedback and the assistance I got were amazing.

My last class was like statistics on steroids and I was like, “Oh my gosh. I have no idea how to do any of this.” I was emailing with a guy named Brian. He was not even my adviser, but I was emailing with him about the master’s program and I started talking to him about this class that I was in. I said, “I think I have to drop. I can’t do this. This class is too hard.” He actually helped me stick with it and stay in that last class to finish and graduate. He didn't even have to help me. He wasn’t my adviser, but he gave me some resources to look for, some YouTube videos to look at, and it was amazing.

The enrollment process was really easy. The most difficult I had was just getting my manager to sign off on the document that they needed. But as far as registering for classes and getting the tuition set up, it was a breeze. I didn't struggle with it at all. There was one instructor early on that wouldn’t respond back to emails, but it was one experience with one instructor and it wasn’t a super difficult class. Every other instructor that I had the two years I was there were amazing. Ricky was my last instructor for my last class. He was a very good and very knowledgeable instructor.

It was a really great program. It was a great experience. I liked that the classes were five weeks and then you could go to the next one, so you didn't feel like, “Oh my God. I’m gonna be in school until I’m dead.” You knew there was an end date. It was only five weeks to get through the class versus a traditional 16-week class where you’re just like, “This is stupid. I’m out.” Knowing that, “Okay, I’ve only got two weeks left in this class. I can do this,” really was motivational because you knew you’re gonna get through it and then that next class is gonna start and it’s gonna go fast. I had talked to a couple other colleagues that enrolled in the program. Unfortunately, their classes were suspended. But a couple of my coworkers had enrolled simply because of me talking to them, telling them to take advantage of this program.

Ashford University response

This has us smiling from ear to ear, Nicole. Thank you for sharing your educational journey with the community. We're honored to have you as part of the family and look forward to your bright future. Please keep in touch on all that you achieve!

Original review: April 3, 2020

In our company, Ashford is one of the schools that normally go here for education fair. I went with them because of the course. They offered a master’s setting we did, and I wanted something that was international. The enrollment, however, was horrible. I wanted to cancel the process because the first enrollment advisor with it did not give me the complete information that I needed because I graduated from a foreign school. And so, like at the very onset, I already knew I had different requirements. And I asked what I needed. On the same day that I was supposed to start my classes, he said, “You can't go into your class because you're missing this documentation.” But, he did not tell me that. I had to make arrangements. I graduated 30 years ago from college, and they were wanting all the certifications about language. If they have told me that two weeks ago, I would have met it.

So, I backed out already, but I had an officemate who said, “Let me get you another advisor who can work with you to make this work better.” And I worked with that advisor and I had to get those documentations that they requested. So, it was like me asking someone else from a different country, like, “Can you go to this school, make sure that they give you this certain certification. Send me an email of it and mail it to me and so on and so forth.” It was a very tedious process. That advisor was good, and I recommended him to another one.

With the scheduling of the assignments on a masteral program, at first, it was like, “Why can I not have two courses? This is too easy.” But with so many paperwork and having two or three assignments in a week, it has been gruesome. At one time, on one week, you had to read 200 pages. For a full-time working person like me, it had been hard to balance that one. And if I didn’t follow through my schedules and my desire to finish it, I would have not finished it because my goal was that I wanted to finish it in 17 months. But we had winter breaks and one time there was no professor, so it got extended to 19 months. Still, I have learned a lot.

What I liked amongst every course that I had to take was the MBA Capstone because it was a good stimulation of how real business works, and it was crazy. It was challenging too. The only thing about that was because I was using hotspot, I got interrupted with my connection with one transaction that I was doing, so I lost that transaction and lost 75 grand on that one. That would have been the income of the company that I was working for.

So, it mattered a lot because that Capstone had specific goals, by which you have a committed profit for the company. So, I had a goal, and not meeting that meant that, as a manager, you were not meeting your commitments to your company. I still met my goal, but it was short because of that transaction that I had to haggle with because of connections disappearing. So, it was like a back and forth help desk thing and that they had to reset my connections so that I could gain because that involved a roleplay and if you missed that roleplay, then you were not going to be able to go through the roleplay again, and that roleplay meant inputs needed for your company to survive a certain transaction.

Ashford University response

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community, Myrna Keep up the great work and please stay in touch.

Original review: March 6, 2020

I was watching TV and an ad came up. I was getting ready to change over to a part-time job and I told my husband that maybe I should try going to school online. He said that might be something I could do with a part-time job. So, I started researching and I liked Ashford. The enrollment was easy. I called them and started talking to individuals because I didn't know where to go or if my GPA in high school mattered. I didn't have that great of a GPA in high school so I was worried about that affecting it and they assured me that it did not. Before I knew it, I was enrolled in Ashford. I had really great professors and instructors. There was only one that I felt like wasn't that great of an instructor and I mentioned it to my student adviser at the time. I made a C in that class and I couldn't figure out why because I was putting in a lot of effort. My effort has never waned or faltered during the entire time.

I took it on the chin and I told my student adviser that I didn't even care. I'm out of that class and it didn't affect my GPA. I'm ready to move on. I just think that he's not that great of an instructor. During that time, there was an email that went out between some of students and they were saying that they tried so hard and did everything he told them. They put their references down and they didn’t know what else they could do. I didn't either because I was in the same boat they were. We were trying and we were not getting anywhere. The student adviser said I was not the first one that said anything about that specific professor or instructor. But the rest of the professors were great. One out of four years was not that bad at all.

The learning experience was beneficial and it has helped me a lot now where I work as well as outside of work. It made me more responsible because you don't have a teacher or anybody standing over your shoulder. You have to get the work done on your own and it helped me grow as a person. I started in 2016 in January and I was done January of 2020. I lost my dad last year on August 12th and it was hard coming back because him and I, were my big support system. So when he was gone, it took a little bit to get back into the groove. My instructor was great about it. I lost my father on Thursday and on Monday, I turned in my final assignment. My instructor was surprised I didn't take two weeks off. She was gonna suggest putting in a leave of absence. I was trying to get everything rounded up for his funeral and trying to get my feet back underneath me was a big part of it.

If there were more schools and colleges that worked as well as Ashford did with me, there would be a lot more people that would attend school. People need to know there is a school like Ashford out there that will hold you accountable. It's not bad. When my computer broke, I sent one of my instructors a message and I said I was trying and she told me to do the work when I could. I found that as long as I was respectful towards them and I tried to be as respectful as possible, they would always reciprocate it back to me. They understood where I was coming from and I was doing the best I could. They got me and it was no big deal. That was great for me because I had switched jobs and even then, the instructors congratulated me on the new job. They told me to let them know if I needed anything. They would do what they could to help me.

It was a very good experience and I would recommend Ashford to others. When I left high school, I had a 2.8 GP and when I graduated Ashford, I graduated with a 3.6. I owe a lot of that to the instructors because they were always there when I needed something and if it wasn't the instructors, it was my academic adviser or I always had somebody that I could reach out to and talk to.

Ashford University response

This has us smiling from ear to ear, Becky. What makes you, makes us, and we couldn't be more proud to have you as part of the Ashford family. Your hard work and dedication certainly did not go unnoticed, and we hope that your success helps to inspire others to reach for their dreams regardless of what life throws at you. Keep up the great work, and please stay in touch as you move forward. We know your father is so proud and would love to see your accomplishments highlighted!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I liked Ashford's accelerated classes and the flexibility of going online and being able to pick my own schedule. The learning experience was good for me. I do well with online stuff. There were some impressive professors, especially when starting to get towards the end there, in the 300 and 400 level classes. Then there were some doctorates and multiple fields and some high-quality professors. It would be nice if there was some sort of actual interaction at some point, maybe just a couple times per class or something to supplement all the discussion boards. Some virtual things like Zoom would be more helpful than discussion forums. But then, that would defeat the whole purpose of being able to do your assignments when it works for you. Overall, it went well and I had no issues.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I was able to complete my bachelor's degree. It was smooth sailing. I wouldn't have been able to do it without Ashford. It was so easy to log on. I got home from work or at the end of the day and complete my courses, and everything was right there. The professors were nice and very understanding. If I had a problem, I could reach out very easily by email and they responded very, very quickly and they were very helpful.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

One of my military buddies recommended Ashford University plus it was a military friendly school. The enrollment was fairly easy. I had one of the counselors walk me through the steps of enrolling within Ashford. I really enjoyed the professors. There was one that we kinda didn't see eye to eye on certain things, but out of the four years I was in college, that's a 99.9% rate of good. They were able to work with me. It was a good learning experience. It was something different. But after getting used to the setup or the dashboard of the online experience itself, it was fairly easy. I would definitely recommend Ashford because I'm actually going to be pursuing my master’s degree with them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I was in the military and Ashford was a common school that people use for online since we couldn't go in person. A lot of people said it’s really good. There were a lot of good professors, but there were some that were less helpful. There were just communication issues with the ones that were harder to deal with. But there was a lot more good than bad. My studies took 36 months total and I was very satisfied with that.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I liked the idea of the one class at a time. The gentlemen that helped me was very thorough and very helpful. Most of the courses were very easy to navigate. It was a wonderful experience. I learned so much. Most of the professors were wonderful, very helpful, and willing to work with you if you had any issues.

Ashford University Company Information

1918
    8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
    San Diego