Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
2.28/5

Ashford University

Ashford University offers online degrees at the Associate, Bachelor’s and Master’s level. Read Ashford University Accounting reviews and Ashford University MBA reviews to learn more about their Accounting and MBA degree programs. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

421 Ashford University Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 10, 2019

I completed 90 credits with another online University, before my employer developed a partnership with Ashford. I had no complaints about the University I attended, I paid out of pocket expenses, student loans and had access to tuition reimbursement programs. Through my employer's partnership with Ashford, I chose to enroll and take advantage of their full tuition grant program. I had the most wonderful experience with Joseph the enrollment adviser. He lead me through the process with getting my credits transferred, setting up the bridge between Ashford and my employer and went above and beyond his job to help me get it all taken care of.

I took the opportunity to read the negative reviews on this University and found that most of the complaints are financial related, not with the University, staff or curriculum itself. Online University is not a cheap, easy or fake way through education. It is definitely not for everyone, and I would encourage anyone to re-evaluate before enrolling to make sure this is the right choice for them. Be accountable for your own knowledge, actions and financial planning.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I just completed my Bachelors in Criminal Justice and I must say that I would and will recommend Ashford to anyone I come in contact with. I am an active duty Marine and they have accommodated me whenever I had to withdraw from school due to military deployments. My advisor was great and although they did change once it never really had an impact on the quality of service I received. It is a lot of work so if you do not have the discipline I do not recommend taking any college courses. Also, take the time to review your financial options, do not get into something you cannot afford. The college is for profit so make sure all your financial paperwork is in order. The professors were great for the most part, and the curriculum was comparable to other universities. They all make you take classes you think you do not need this is not out of the ordinary. College is not free people make sure you have a plan!!!

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I just finished my major classes and am in my 3rd year working on my minor - if you have self-discipline and can enforce good time-management to get your workload done according to the grading rubric and requested date, it is awesome. I have had zero issues with the material or workload - very flexible and I always take a lot away with me. The teachers can be hit or miss - but I've had way more positive/neutral experiences than I have bad - and it just takes an email to them to remedy it (not everyone grades the same, this can be a gray area if it is written assignments vs. Math and Science where it is black and white answers).

I used the GI Bill to cover my courses and it has run very smoothly - just make sure you double up on all those general education classes in the beginning so you don't run out of your eligible 36 months before your bachelors is complete. Ashford has classes all year long - but only one course at a time - so when creating the GI Bill they were thinking of traditional school terms (and multiple classes at once to finish in 36 months). This was a surprise- but the Pell Grant really helps and I'll only need a small student loan to cover the rest thankfully.

My advisors aren't ever really helpful and informative - but they're there if I have queries. I only wish Ashford offered more reputable/beneficial honors clubs. I've maintained a 4.0 and can't see the value in any of the ones which have invited me :P. I would suggest this school if you are willing to commit yourself to the independent workload :). It can be accommodated by any schedule.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I just wanted to give a brief review of my experience attending Ashford University. I just completed my degree in Psychology and it was a great experience. It took me four years and I had to stop and start many times to get through it, but Ashford worked with me through every situation I had to keep me on track and stopping my classes when I needed to stop. Communication with your academic advisor is important so that you can submit the necessary forms to stop your classes and then start them again. It was a smooth ride for me. I did not have any issues with any class or finances at all! You have to communicate with your advisors and professors just like you would if you attended class in person. It is a great school providing a great education! Just wanted to say thanks to Ashford University for working with me through these years to helping me get my degree!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I finished my bachelor's and master's with this school, and next month I am starting on my second masters. I've been completely happy with my experience here. There have been a few minor annoyances, like a few teachers (out of about 40 that I've had) that were not great, and the initial enrollment process was a major hassle. But it was totally worth it and most of the teachers are awesome. The work is challenging but not stressful. There has never been a problem with my financing in my five plus years with the school, and the advisers are extremely competent, friendly, and supportive.

I don't understand the reviews saying there are financing problems because that's the opposite of my experience. If you read the negative reviews closely, you'll see that most of them are written by people who haven't grasped basic grammar, spelling, and punctuation, and really just don't belong in college. This is why they are having bad experiences. It is not a reflection of the quality of the school. My bachelors degree from this school literally doubled my income.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

Original review: June 25, 2019

From day one of speaking to an Ashford Rep until the day I received my undergraduate degree, I had a great experience. The classes were challenging and the instructors attentive to my needs. I have attended brick and mortar colleges and found my experience at AU to be the best all around education received. I am very proud of my degree from Ashford University.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I just finished reading several reviews regarding Ashford Univ. There are several negative reviews and that is unfortunate for both school and student. I have attended this school in 2012 and re-entered 2/18 seeking a BA in ABS. I have six classes left and will graduate in 2/2020. My experience here was positive and truthful. From the school awarding me 56 credits previously from other schools, financial aid, cost, etc., have been correct and in-line void of any disappointment. If I needed a break here and there it was afforded to me no problem, even after having no power or internet for 30 days after Hurricane Michael. I don't anticipate any problems in the future either. There will always be haters and people blaming someone else for their troubles, and sometimes they are correct. Read between the lines. Great school great experience for me.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I started with Ashford in 2012 and when I joined I was not aware that I would not have had enough money to pay for my schooling. They are just so eager to get you in so that, they can eat up all of your financial aid money. I started to realize I was never getting any financial aid money back. I didn't realize that they were ridiculously high. I loved the teachers but the staff is the most horrible of them all. I withdrew after a year, because the man told me that I would not have enough money. That was a wrap for me. Now I have a hold on my account for $766.

The people that I have come across to help me with this issue have been, PIECES OF CRAP!! Their customer service skills is RIDICULOUS!! I have never seen anything like it before in my life!! Don't waste your time or money with this school. They treat you like you are at the bottom of the barrel and they are superior! I want to help the next person from making the same mistake that I made! DON'T DO IT!!! #RUUUUUNNNN!!!! This should be against the law ... ASHFORD should not even be operable!

Original review: May 30, 2019

I am a single mother of two.. My babies are of age so I decided it's my time to continue my education so I can show them anything is possible no matter how old you are or what struggles you have had in life. I need them to know that the sky is the limit.. I seriously was thinking about continuing my education through Ashford University but after reading pages of terrible reviews I'll pass in the most humbling way ever. It seems as I'll be wasting my time studying at this Online University. Playing with someone's time and money is a major red flag for me. My motivation is my babies and I want to get a better paying job not get into more debt.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I completed the MPA program through a grant program with my employer in 2018. I can honestly say it was a wonderful experience utilizing their online tools, especially the online library. The academic advisors helped every step of the way. The professors were knowledgeable in the field, transparent and easy to contact regarding assignments. I would honestly consider returning to complete a second masters. I believe many of the negative comments surrounds financial aid. There are things to consider when enrolling into a college and financial resources is one of them. Do your research before enrolling in any higher education establishment to make sure it fits your budget and educational aspirations.

Ashford University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1918 as a women's junior college, Ashford University has certainly grown beyond the mold. They now partner with Forbes in their School of Business and offer a complete range of educational services.

• Good reputation: In education, reputation is everything, and Ashford University has one to be proud of.

• Regionally accredited: In 2013, Ashford University earned accreditation from the WSCUC, one of the six regionally accrediting organizations.

• Online and on-campus: Ashford University has a long established campus in Clinton, IA and a virtual campus available to students worldwide.

• Transparent tuition: Tuition and fees are clearly posted on their website, so there are no unpleasant surprises after admission.

• Internal scholarships available: There are several scholarships available through Ashford University for students who qualify.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ashford University Company Information

1918
8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
San Diego