1.58/5
Based on 325 reviews that contain star ratings

Ashford University

Ashford University offers online degrees at the Associate, Bachelor’s and Master’s level. Read Ashford University Accounting reviews and Ashford University MBA reviews to learn more about their Accounting and MBA degree programs. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

391 Ashford University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I was enrolled at Ashford about 3 years ago. I enjoyed my experience up until the day I had to have emergency surgery. They decided to drop me from my class and then proceeded to charge me about $2000, to reenroll me in it without my permission. I had a hard time at this point with pain medication and always being tired. I had three kids on top of school and managed to get all B's in my classes up to this point. Now that I am ready to reenter school and have found one that will work for me they have decided to hold onto my transcript and make it so that I cannot used the credits I earned from them. I never asked to be dropped then re-enrolled. And when I talked to them about it they acted like they understood. They are a rip off and I am working to get their accreditation taken away from them.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I wanted to withdraw and the Financial Aid Counselor told me that I would lose all my funding if I did. I needed to withdraw because issues in class. Now I owe 3000$ and need my transcript to continue my classes.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I just wanted to give a brief review of my experience attending Ashford University. I just completed my degree in Psychology and it was a great experience. It took me four years and I had to stop and start many times to get through it, but Ashford worked with me through every situation I had to keep me on track and stopping my classes when I needed to stop. Communication with your academic advisor is important so that you can submit the necessary forms to stop your classes and then start them again. It was a smooth ride for me. I did not have any issues with any class or finances at all! You have to communicate with your advisors and professors just like you would if you attended class in person. It is a great school providing a great education! Just wanted to say thanks to Ashford University for working with me through these years to helping me get my degree!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I went to Ashford because it sounded great. Take one class at a time and it’s flexible with my busy work schedule. I ended up having to take a leave of absence because my mother became ill and I was caring for her. I had asked for a second extension which was granted to only find out it wasn’t. My counselor signed me up for classes that I was unaware of. When I called to complain he said he couldn’t help me because he had no record of my leave request to which I sent him my email confirmations. They are making me pay $6000 in classes I didn’t take. Not only that they gave me an F on my transcripts for those classes which I should have never been signed up for. They advertise rainbow and unicorns and deliver stress, debt and frustration. Most useless online school I have ever gone to. I highly recommend NOT attending their school as they will only scam you out of money, time and energy.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I finished my bachelor's and master's with this school, and next month I am starting on my second masters. I've been completely happy with my experience here. There have been a few minor annoyances, like a few teachers (out of about 40 that I've had) that were not great, and the initial enrollment process was a major hassle. But it was totally worth it and most of the teachers are awesome. The work is challenging but not stressful. There has never been a problem with my financing in my five plus years with the school, and the advisers are extremely competent, friendly, and supportive.

I don't understand the reviews saying there are financing problems because that's the opposite of my experience. If you read the negative reviews closely, you'll see that most of them are written by people who haven't grasped basic grammar, spelling, and punctuation, and really just don't belong in college. This is why they are having bad experiences. It is not a reflection of the quality of the school. My bachelors degree from this school literally doubled my income.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

Original review: July 31, 2018

When I initially signed up for classes, they were smooth. Everything sounded great. I am a retired U.S. Marine, and happen to be disabled. One week into my first class I was hospitalized for an unexpected surgery. I missed 4 assignments and was not given a chance to make them up, they were just zeroed out. They have interactive assignments and when I called tech support all they could do was send an email to my instructor. I’ve had to call tech support more than three times in one night. Some student in Utah tried to help me but could not...useless. To make things worse they are not pro military as they advertise. I was told in one of my assignments what one learner did wrong. I was forced to read an article about a Marine that was a total piece of garbage as a student...not professional.

I asked for additional assistance due to my disabilities, it was ignored. I told my so called professor about my issues, she never even responded. After just three weeks I’ve determined this school is totally unsatisfactory. They will not get a dime from me. Once again I strongly recommend VETERANS DO NOT ATTEND this lousy excuse for a University! Do your research people. I’m just glad I read the writing on the wall before I lost thousands of dollars on an education I wouldn’t wipe my backside with.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I went to this University for about two years, at first things were great but then at the end of the year when I was about to earn my degree, they told me I owe money in which I didn't. I am in debt with student loans that I have no knowledge of. They are money hungry!!! I graduated with a Bachelor's Degree and never received it. I worked hard and kept all of my grades up at the age of 40 and still no paper. I waste my time and I am in desperate need of trying to get these loans forgiven. I was disabled then and I'm still disabled but that didn't matter to them. I hate I wasted my time online from South Carolina. If anyone knows where we can get help please let me know.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I am a military veteran and previously attended this university. They overcharged me the entire time I was there and I had to hunt them down to get answers. They refused to refund me after overcharging me for 2 years. I finally transferred out to another school, but now I may not have enough funding left to pay for college and graduate next year. DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL!

Original review: May 9, 2018

The school is a for-profit school! They do not care at all about the student. They care all about the money. I asked for a break from classes and the advisor said, "Ok I will put in for your break and schedule your next class to start after the break." I said ok. A week later I was being called by the attendance department telling me I need to post in the class or the school was going to drop me from the school. How can I post in a class if I was not in a class?? My class was scheduled for the end of the break I was on. Ironically enough they would not get my funds from my loans till my class started again.

The school which I argued with tried to force me back to class 2 weeks before my break was supposed to be over. I was glad I had copies of the emails saved because I sent them a copy of each one from my advisor that stated I was supposed to get a break for another 2 weeks. I will never recommend this school to anyone! Find a not for profit school that would actually care about the students not the money.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I took a leave of absence due to some personal turmoils. I sent in the form as I have done before. Last class I took was the end of 2017. I have not been able to attend school until now. I tried enrolling back in school and no response. NO ONE RESPONDS. I sent in complaints and no one is doing anything about it. I get a call this morning from a debt collection agency stating I need to pay over $ 4000, something I clearly cannot afford and they will not work with me either. I want help and I want answers but no one will help me except I have to pay off a balance of over $5000 before I can come back. First it started over $2000 and now went over $5000. This place is stopping me from getting my degree because people don't do their jobs and put it on the student. UNPROFESSIONAL.

Ashford University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1918 as a women's junior college, Ashford University has certainly grown beyond the mold. They now partner with Forbes in their School of Business and offer a complete range of educational services.

• Good reputation: In education, reputation is everything, and Ashford University has one to be proud of.

• Regionally accredited: In 2013, Ashford University earned accreditation from the WSCUC, one of the six regionally accrediting organizations.

• Online and on-campus: Ashford University has a long established campus in Clinton, IA and a virtual campus available to students worldwide.

• Transparent tuition: Tuition and fees are clearly posted on their website, so there are no unpleasant surprises after admission.

• Internal scholarships available: There are several scholarships available through Ashford University for students who qualify.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ashford University Company Information

1918
8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
San Diego