Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
1.99/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Ashford University

Ashford University offers online degrees at the Associate, Bachelor’s and Master’s level. Read Ashford University Accounting reviews and Ashford University MBA reviews to learn more about their Accounting and MBA degree programs. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Ashford University Reviews

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Never went to college out of high school and needed the higher education degree to further my career. I took all of my classes at AU. I never had a problem or issue with Ashford or any of the instructors. I kept on top of my studies and even took breaks when I moved across the US for work relocation, no issues. Near the end I started doubling and even tripling up classes in order to finish sooner, still no issues. If you are an adult, willing to act like one and do the work, you will not have any issues with this school. I completed my degree in Spring of 2019 and it was a lot of hard work but it would have been regardless of what school I went to.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I just finished reading several reviews regarding Ashford Univ. There are several negative reviews and that is unfortunate for both school and student. I have attended this school in 2012 and re-entered 2/18 seeking a BA in ABS. I have six classes left and will graduate in 2/2020. My experience here was positive and truthful. From the school awarding me 56 credits previously from other schools, financial aid, cost, etc., have been correct and in-line void of any disappointment. If I needed a break here and there it was afforded to me no problem, even after having no power or internet for 30 days after Hurricane Michael. I don't anticipate any problems in the future either. There will always be haters and people blaming someone else for their troubles, and sometimes they are correct. Read between the lines. Great school great experience for me.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: May 28, 2019

I completed the MPA program through a grant program with my employer in 2018. I can honestly say it was a wonderful experience utilizing their online tools, especially the online library. The academic advisors helped every step of the way. The professors were knowledgeable in the field, transparent and easy to contact regarding assignments. I would honestly consider returning to complete a second masters. I believe many of the negative comments surrounds financial aid. There are things to consider when enrolling into a college and financial resources is one of them. Do your research before enrolling in any higher education establishment to make sure it fits your budget and educational aspirations.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I completed 90 credits with another online University, before my employer developed a partnership with Ashford. I had no complaints about the University I attended, I paid out of pocket expenses, student loans and had access to tuition reimbursement programs. Through my employer's partnership with Ashford, I chose to enroll and take advantage of their full tuition grant program. I had the most wonderful experience with Joseph the enrollment adviser. He lead me through the process with getting my credits transferred, setting up the bridge between Ashford and my employer and went above and beyond his job to help me get it all taken care of.

I took the opportunity to read the negative reviews on this University and found that most of the complaints are financial related, not with the University, staff or curriculum itself. Online University is not a cheap, easy or fake way through education. It is definitely not for everyone, and I would encourage anyone to re-evaluate before enrolling to make sure this is the right choice for them. Be accountable for your own knowledge, actions and financial planning.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I just completed my Bachelors in Criminal Justice and I must say that I would and will recommend Ashford to anyone I come in contact with. I am an active duty Marine and they have accommodated me whenever I had to withdraw from school due to military deployments. My advisor was great and although they did change once it never really had an impact on the quality of service I received. It is a lot of work so if you do not have the discipline I do not recommend taking any college courses. Also, take the time to review your financial options, do not get into something you cannot afford. The college is for profit so make sure all your financial paperwork is in order. The professors were great for the most part, and the curriculum was comparable to other universities. They all make you take classes you think you do not need this is not out of the ordinary. College is not free people make sure you have a plan!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

This company charged me for a course I never took. When one day I could not go back to class. I found out I was kicked out because non payment. Come to find out it was already on my credit so nothing I could do. I've disputed several times. Now 4 yrs later it's finally on my credit as a derogatory remark. Very fishy. I do believe I am a victim of the many cases of the reviews done before and after mine. This college plays people. I'm a single mom. I had a dream. That's been crushed because these greedy people running a scheme. Now I owe 45k plus for college I'll never get to finish. Great ok America. Thank you to Obama for the fake no child left behind. Thanks to Trump for enforcing non payment on college courses. 4 yrs later it's now showing on my credit. One thing I will never do is accept a loan for college in America ever again. THEY are all in it together to control, lie, & steal everything they can from us.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I took a class in Spring of 2017. In October of 2019 I get a bill from a collection agency saying that I have not paid my bill from AU. I paid for my class so I'm not even sure what this extra %55 was for. They never sent me a bill. Just went straight to the collection agency. Not sure how I'm suppose to pay a bill that I don't know exists.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

This university preys on military and families with little knowledge of financial aid. Huge promises that will never, ever, be fulfilled. They will drain your GI bill, financial aid, and will take/hold as much money as they can get. When you smarten up and try to transfer, good luck with transcripts. They will charge you with BS holds and request 350$ before releasing. You have been warned, this university is a SCAM.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Can't find a job with worthless Ashford degree and in debt! The title says it all. This place is one giant scam. Their representatives are judged by how many students they sign-up week after week and if they don't enroll enough then they're fired. Just look at the Glassdoor reviews for this place. Do you really think they have your best interests at heart? I went through months at this school wondering why everything was so easy and fellow students who hardly did any work got the same grades I did! Now I am up to my eyeballs in debt that I can never get rid of and this sorry excuse for a school is thousands of dollars richer.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I am enrolled in the HVAC program with Ashford University. They denied me the voucher for the EPA certification with I paid for as a part of the program. The reason: I have not completed their lousy diploma program. You DO NOT need an online HVAC certification to handle refrigerant or work in HVAC. You DO NEED the EPA 608 which I was told would be provided in voucher form. The program has no direct access to an instructor (there is not even an instructor with contact information my class!), no group discussions or anything beyond a textbook which has been useful. I am now employed in HVAC, and would NOT recommend Ashford University. Their school is only nationally accredited which many employers no longer recognize, meaning any other expensive program would be a waste.

Ashford University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1918 as a women's junior college, Ashford University has certainly grown beyond the mold. They now partner with Forbes in their School of Business and offer a complete range of educational services.

• Good reputation: In education, reputation is everything, and Ashford University has one to be proud of.

• Regionally accredited: In 2013, Ashford University earned accreditation from the WSCUC, one of the six regionally accrediting organizations.

• Online and on-campus: Ashford University has a long established campus in Clinton, IA and a virtual campus available to students worldwide.

• Transparent tuition: Tuition and fees are clearly posted on their website, so there are no unpleasant surprises after admission.

• Internal scholarships available: There are several scholarships available through Ashford University for students who qualify.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
      ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ashford University Company Information

1918
      8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
      San Diego