2.07/5

Ashford University

Ashford University offers online degrees at the Associate, Bachelor’s and Master’s level. Read Ashford University Accounting reviews and Ashford University MBA reviews to learn more about their Accounting and MBA degree programs. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

410 Ashford University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 14, 2019

Stay far, far away from this school. They will pull every trick in the book to get your money and keep getting it. I already have a degree and work full time as an accountant so when I decided to go back to school Ashford sounded like something that would work really well with my busy schedule. I was told all my classes would transfer and everything was great. I paid for my first class, got my schedule, and nothing was right. The entire schedule was full of classes I’d already taken. I spent a full week and a half trying to get up with my advisor with no luck.

Finally when I get up with him he and I actually get into an argument. He said my college never sent my transcript, but I know that was a lie because my dad is a professor at the college I originally attended. He even sent it twice. He also said there shouldn’t be any reason for me to have to repeat basic accounting especially since I already have a degree. When I told my advisor that he insulted me and said “just because your dad is a CPA doesn’t mean he’s qualified to give you advice on this.” I was referencing my dad’s college experience more than his qualifications as a CPA but whatever. Anyway, he insisted I had to retake Basic Accounting 1 and there was no way around it so I did.

Of course, on literally the last day of class I get an email saying my advisor no longer works there and I’ve been assigned a new one (who is actually very good). Just as I said all along, she tells me I shouldn’t have had to take that class and issues me a refund. Time wasted but at least I got my money back. I’m now in my 5th class with Ashford and I just received an email this week saying because the English classes I transferred were not taken within the last five weeks I have one week to take and pass an English proficiency exam or I will have to retake English. Another trick. I’m lucky my new advisor helps me out, because most everyone else is terrible.

When I called about this English proficiency exam the guy said “if you don’t calm down I’m going to have to end this call.” How nice it must be to tell a disgruntled customer you’re going to hang up on them. My job isn’t so chill that I can just take someone’s money and hang up on them as I please. It seems throwing a fit is the only way to get what you want. As of today I highly doubt I’ll continue on with my degree.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I completed 90 credits with another online University, before my employer developed a partnership with Ashford. I had no complaints about the University I attended, I paid out of pocket expenses, student loans and had access to tuition reimbursement programs. Through my employer's partnership with Ashford, I chose to enroll and take advantage of their full tuition grant program. I had the most wonderful experience with Joseph the enrollment adviser. He lead me through the process with getting my credits transferred, setting up the bridge between Ashford and my employer and went above and beyond his job to help me get it all taken care of.

I took the opportunity to read the negative reviews on this University and found that most of the complaints are financial related, not with the University, staff or curriculum itself. Online University is not a cheap, easy or fake way through education. It is definitely not for everyone, and I would encourage anyone to re-evaluate before enrolling to make sure this is the right choice for them. Be accountable for your own knowledge, actions and financial planning.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I just completed my Bachelors in Criminal Justice and I must say that I would and will recommend Ashford to anyone I come in contact with. I am an active duty Marine and they have accommodated me whenever I had to withdraw from school due to military deployments. My advisor was great and although they did change once it never really had an impact on the quality of service I received. It is a lot of work so if you do not have the discipline I do not recommend taking any college courses. Also, take the time to review your financial options, do not get into something you cannot afford. The college is for profit so make sure all your financial paperwork is in order. The professors were great for the most part, and the curriculum was comparable to other universities. They all make you take classes you think you do not need this is not out of the ordinary. College is not free people make sure you have a plan!!!

Original review: March 18, 2019

Place: Ashford University. Address: 8620 Spectrum Center Blvd. City: San Diego, CA 92123. Telephone: (800) 798-0584 ext: 18160. I attended Ashford University from August, 2010 until May 25, 2017. When I started this school I was told it was “upstanding school with accolades from the U.S. government." That there would be no out-of-pocket cost for my education there and the student loans will cover all cost of my education there. Ashford University has cheated me of an education by way of overcharging me, withholding my disbursements (from my student loans) and charging me for classes outside of my curriculum. They forced me to take classes that I did not need with threats that if I did not take the classes that they would withhold my degree and transcript, which is what they did anyway.

When I have spoken to my 1st student advisor: David **, (800) 798-0584 ext: **), my 2nd student advisor: Rasmikah **, (866) 475-0317 ext: **), my Wellness Coordinator - (Victoria ** (800) 798-0584 ext: **), and others' in the financial aid office (who are a different person any and every time that I called) they all have different stories to tell me.

Although I did not know at the time, the school was being very deceitful in talking me into attending Ashford University and once I was a student in the school they charged me fees and add so many costs until I was trapped, even if I would have tried to transfer (I was told) they would not give me my transcript. Now the Financial Aid office is telling me that I owe them (Ashford) $6,109.0 and they know that is not true. They kept my disbursements all but 2 checks. They kept the money and now the I owe the federal government for the money that Ashford stole from me and the Federal Aid office and that means that I have to pay twice. Ashford should be held accountable for all of the misery that they have placed on the students who came to them for an education. We, the students had no way of knowing that they were thieves.

I have been on several payment plans because of threats from Ashford and because of the fear of their threats. I would like to see closed it should be made to give back to the students the money that they stole. It was about the second year of my education that I noticed charges on my account and upon asking my student advisor what was going on and I was told "not to worry about it" and "it was probably a mistake." They will not release my records and that stops me from attending any other school for my Masters. From that point until I finally was allowed to graduate I received threats of one kind or another from them.

I have never been so depressed in my life and they still say I owe them $6,109.01 when they know that I do not. From 2012 on to now they have stolen from me. I am so sick of them and seems like they have gotten away with it. I did notice a listing of “other charges and fees” when I called the school and ask what is that for and what does it means. I was told by my student advisors again what does it mean because I live out of state.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I signed up with Ashford to complete my degree in Business Administration back in Oct or Nov 2017. It was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I failed to do my research on the school and I am going to pay for it now. First things first I was lied to by the enrollment adviser, my wife is military and they attempted to talk me into using my WIFE'S GI BILL so she wouldn't have access to it, they wouldn't stop asking me to take it from her, it was almost to the point of harassment. The enrollment adviser said that my tuition would run at $600 total and I wouldn't have ANY OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES.

Clearly that was a lie! That's all they do and that's why they are getting sued. They started charging me much more than what I was told and then when I tried to fight it, they kept saying I signed paperwork, which I never did, the enrollment adviser wanted a signature from me and apparently copied and pasted it to other documents and I magically received them after I started school, so it was too late. I had to drop a few courses due to living in Florida and hurricanes would knock out power or the internet for a while and they told me the courses would be waived and I can take it all over again at no charge, never happened.

All in all I am now attending Arizona State University, paying less than Ashford is charging, FYI their courses run around $1200 or so for non-military... Yeah, that is PER FRICKIN CLASS YOU TAKE!! While a honorable school, that is not a money hungry *pick a bad word* hole, is going to charge $575 per course I take and actually cares about your education. I attempted to fight these ** too many times but they never get back to me in enough time and calling was hell. Enrollment Adviser was - Alan **. BIGGEST LYING PIECE OF *you choose the word you want here*! Save yourself the struggle and stress and please save your money because student loan in this case are going to take years and years and years to pay back. ALSO There is a huge lawsuit on this exact issue with the school as we speak, I was contacted by the lawyers recently on this issue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

Original review: March 2, 2019

I attended Ashford from 2016 to 2019 and finally finished Feb 2019 and now they wanted to charge me 3091.00 plus 150 GRADUATION FEE. I did not sign up to participate in graduation ceremony and when I started I was told there would be no out of pocket expenses. Then all of a sudden there was an error in my FAFSA and they took forever to fix it. Finally figured out that I still have the grants and if I wanted them to pay off balance to send back a letter. I sent back and then today the balance owed doubled. 6000.00 and my transcript is frozen! I need to find a job and now they don't want to show proof I attended! I went here as a mom at 40 who wanted to better myself and they are a scam! DO NOT ATTEND!! STAY AWAY!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I completed my degree four months ago and find myself using the skills and knowledge I gained on a daily basis. I'm making more confident, effective and efficient decisions. My learning was personalized and I never felt like just another number enrolled in a class. They accommodated my schedule requests and all but one course had an engaging and helpful professor. Overall, a positive experience, I'm glad I stuck it out when the course-load was tough.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I asked repeatedly for Ashford to let me take a break from my courses due to all kinds of personal circumstances that would not allow me to perform at my best. My advisor kept talking me in to staying with the course and just "taking a C- is better than withdrawing" etc., Every time I tried to leave the school on my own terms. When I finally could not continue my work anymore (it was the last straw), I asked that they withdraw me. Well I received a letter after that saying I was "academically dismissed" for not showing up/meeting attendance guidelines- even though I was always communicative on why I could not continue. They were actually sending emails to an email address provided by Ashford that I did not even have access to (the school provided one). Well, I did not know all of that until I was actually dismissed from the school.

Anyway, I tried to re-enter after they sent me an email asking when I thought I'd be back. I let them know it would be towards end of December. I then asked for info on how I needed to get that process started and THAT is when they said I was academically dismissed. I feel when I was asked to stick with the course that I KNEW I could not perform in, when I was told it would "be better to get a low grade than to withdraw" on my own terms, is so much as locking me in and setting me up for failure. I am so upset about this. I carried a 3.84 GPA, all through my schooling with you guys, all things considered. Nothing from now until the 6 months of when you tell me I can send another UGA is going to change, so I guess we will just chalk it up to a learning experience that maybe counselors aren't really the best to ask, and to trust your gut instincts.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

This review is not a good one. When I enrolled in Ashford University I was told that I would not have any out of pocket expenses, that between the student loans and the grant they would give me covered everything up until I got my degree and that I would then have some time to pay the loans off. Then yesterday I was told that I owe out of pocket expenses. And that they were putting a hold on my account and that I needed to withdraw from the school until it was paid.

When I looked at my finances on the student portal they are charging me $7470.00 for room and board and I am an online student so how can I be charged for room and board. I am also being charged $504.00 for transportation. It does not make any sense. Oh and I am being charged $4086 for other personal expense which does not give any details of what that is. If anyone is thinking about enrolling in this college don't do it, they are a big rip off and if I can find a lawyer I will be suing this college, for misleading and wrongful charges.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I reported an instructor for unfair biased grading and they never acknowledged it. This instructor needs to be fired but they refuse to do anything about him. This university needs to watch who they hire and keep a record on them. I kind of regret attending this place.

Ashford University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1918 as a women's junior college, Ashford University has certainly grown beyond the mold. They now partner with Forbes in their School of Business and offer a complete range of educational services.

• Good reputation: In education, reputation is everything, and Ashford University has one to be proud of.

• Regionally accredited: In 2013, Ashford University earned accreditation from the WSCUC, one of the six regionally accrediting organizations.

• Online and on-campus: Ashford University has a long established campus in Clinton, IA and a virtual campus available to students worldwide.

• Transparent tuition: Tuition and fees are clearly posted on their website, so there are no unpleasant surprises after admission.

• Internal scholarships available: There are several scholarships available through Ashford University for students who qualify.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ashford University Company Information

1918
8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
San Diego