2. Education
  3. Online Colleges
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.92/5

Ashford University offers online degrees at the Associate, Bachelor’s and Master’s level. Read Ashford University Accounting reviews and Ashford University MBA reviews to learn more about their Accounting and MBA degree programs. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own.

Ashford University Video
View More View More

Ashford University Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 6, 2020

I was watching TV and an ad came up. I was getting ready to change over to a part-time job and I told my husband that maybe I should try going to school online. He said that might be something I could do with a part-time job. So, I started researching and I liked Ashford. The enrollment was easy. I called them and started talking to individuals because I didn't know where to go or if my GPA in high school mattered. I didn't have that great of a GPA in high school so I was worried about that affecting it and they assured me that it did not. Before I knew it, I was enrolled in Ashford. I had really great professors and instructors. There was only one that I felt like wasn't that great of an instructor and I mentioned it to my student adviser at the time. I made a C in that class and I couldn't figure out why because I was putting in a lot of effort. My effort has never waned or faltered during the entire time.

I took it on the chin and I told my student adviser that I didn't even care. I'm out of that class and it didn't affect my GPA. I'm ready to move on. I just think that he's not that great of an instructor. During that time, there was an email that went out between some of students and they were saying that they tried so hard and did everything he told them. They put their references down and they didn’t know what else they could do. I didn't either because I was in the same boat they were. We were trying and we were not getting anywhere. The student adviser said I was not the first one that said anything about that specific professor or instructor. But the rest of the professors were great. One out of four years was not that bad at all.

The learning experience was beneficial and it has helped me a lot now where I work as well as outside of work. It made me more responsible because you don't have a teacher or anybody standing over your shoulder. You have to get the work done on your own and it helped me grow as a person. I started in 2016 in January and I was done January of 2020. I lost my dad last year on August 12th and it was hard coming back because him and I, were my big support system. So when he was gone, it took a little bit to get back into the groove. My instructor was great about it. I lost my father on Thursday and on Monday, I turned in my final assignment. My instructor was surprised I didn't take two weeks off. She was gonna suggest putting in a leave of absence. I was trying to get everything rounded up for his funeral and trying to get my feet back underneath me was a big part of it.

If there were more schools and colleges that worked as well as Ashford did with me, there would be a lot more people that would attend school. People need to know there is a school like Ashford out there that will hold you accountable. It's not bad. When my computer broke, I sent one of my instructors a message and I said I was trying and she told me to do the work when I could. I found that as long as I was respectful towards them and I tried to be as respectful as possible, they would always reciprocate it back to me. They understood where I was coming from and I was doing the best I could. They got me and it was no big deal. That was great for me because I had switched jobs and even then, the instructors congratulated me on the new job. They told me to let them know if I needed anything. They would do what they could to help me.

It was a very good experience and I would recommend Ashford to others. When I left high school, I had a 2.8 GP and when I graduated Ashford, I graduated with a 3.6. I owe a lot of that to the instructors because they were always there when I needed something and if it wasn't the instructors, it was my academic adviser or I always had somebody that I could reach out to and talk to.

Ashford University response

This has us smiling from ear to ear, Becky. What makes you, makes us, and we couldn't be more proud to have you as part of the Ashford family. Your hard work and dedication certainly did not go unnoticed, and we hope that your success helps to inspire others to reach for their dreams regardless of what life throws at you. Keep up the great work, and please stay in touch as you move forward. We know your father is so proud and would love to see your accomplishments highlighted!

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

My brother and my sister are both Ashford graduates. And since I'm in the military, feasibility led me to choose Ashford. I heard that the online program was fast and efficient, which attracted me. With my job schedule, it was in my best interest to choose that program. With the military, the enrollment was simple. It was guaranteed money for them. It was free money and we military tend not to turn that type of stuff down.

I had a problem with the operations management professor while I was there. He has a template for the final project. I did everything and uploaded it based on his instructions. I sent him an email and say that I was trying to get a similarity match. I ran it through a system to check for plagiarism. Since he said to use the template, I asked for clarification first. I told him to verify with me if everything was okay since it was going off his template.

I thought he was gonna clarify that for me, but he graded the paper instead, knowing full well what I've already told him in advance. When he did that, it irritated me badly. Then I noticed that he went back changed his guidance and instructions. I spent a lot of time and energy on the paper. And I'm military so sometimes I do these papers at around 2 o'clock in the morning. Then I gotta get up in the morning and go to work.

When I went online to look up the professor lookup, people felt the same exact way about him. He was condensing, rude, and sarcastic. He might not be a person Ashford wants representing them, especially since they have become a popular school among military members. I indicated all of this to Ashford and I talked to my student adviser. I was said that I was just gonna be a straight-A student the whole time and this time, I was just gonna choose to lie about everything.

Word travels fast and when people are trying to get an education, people wanna know what's their best option. People who are in a position of leadership, like myself, could influence or suggest to people where to go to. They stood by him and said asked what was the big deal. I said that that was beside the point. It's called integrity. It irritated me that they allowed that to happen, even though I submitted all the evidence and feedback. You wanna look up professors in advance on the professor lookup to see who you'd be dealing with. That way, you know what level of feedback and engagement, as well as what type of learning experience you're probably gonna get.

Also, I want to see a project that incorporates all of the curricula that you have for that degree. One of my friends told me that for their bachelor's and their master's program, they worked on real projects that gave real hands-on experience. Other than that, the learning experience is engaging and makes you think outside the box in a lot of ways, especially with your class.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Ashford was pretty good for the most part. I liked how quick the classes were. I didn’t have to worry about the GI Bill process. They took care of everything. However, it’s like nothing really tested my knowledge with my classes. They want us to read the book, to teach ourselves, and every week we just write a paper for about 4 to 5 pages and then anywhere from a 10 to a 20-page at the end. That was a little bit too much. I could have written my paper on anything, and technically, I wouldn’t even have to open up the textbook to write it. I could have completed my whole degree and not know one thing because of that. Sometimes it was beneficial. I liked knowing when the paper’s due so I was able to work my schedule. But then there should have been some kind of test.

Ashford should do a little bit better at making sure the students are actually obtaining knowledge and not just going on the internet, finding sources and stuff to write a paper off. I felt like that in my bachelor’s degree too. They put out this basic syllabus, “do this.” Then, for instance, I didn’t really understand the assignment in one of my classes. All they did was just copy the syllabus and sent it to me. That’s not teaching me anything. I could have read that. They need to be a teacher and teach.

When in an online class, they should offer something other than what they just copy and paste every week, for every class. The teachers should be more involved with actually teaching something, like actually doing videos or going over the material. I’ve been to another online school before and the teacher taught the whole time. We just took tests. I'm paying over $2000 a course for six weeks and I expect to be taught. There has to be some level of teaching the student as well, not just putting up the information, and then, “You're doing great.” If they do a voiceover or a PowerPoint, they can keep that going. But it should be a little bit more than whatever they write for that week in a syllabus. I knew teachers were doing it because one of the classes I did got 2017 on it. This is 2019 and they should at least change the date. If nothing else, pretend that they're catering that class. That’s my only gripe.

But I liked the ease of use of Ashford because I knew what I was getting. I didn’t have to go through much. I decided I wanted to do school, they set me up, and I started the next week. It was no drama. I knew my schedule and it was guaranteed. Every once in awhile, there was a class that was just a little bit different, but I was able to plan my daughter’s activities around my school schedule. I was also able to plan my job around it. It was definitely worth it for that part.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I heard about Ashford through another student and before I registered, I went to a couple of different schools to see what kind of learning environment was best for me. My husband loved going to University of Phoenix ‘cause one could work more in groups, but that's not my cup of tea. Ashford seemed to be the absolute best for me because everything was online. I didn’t have to worry about going into a class. And the differences were an interesting thing. The teachers were fantastic and 95% of them were incredible. I had one or two that if I could’ve reached through the phone, I would have. But we worked it out through the staff. And I would just email them multiple times saying, “Hey, I’ve asked for this, I’ve requested this, still haven’t heard back. Can you help me out?” And then by the end of the class, they had. But that was a very small percentage.

My advisors were off the hook too, and Brian was phenomenal. I would email him with probably some of the stupidest questions on the planet and I’d have my answer 5 minutes later or he would know who to send me to. If I called, he answered. He also would, out of blue, email me and say, “Hey, how are things going?” And so, that keeps me going. I also had Kimberly, before him for my bachelor’s, and she was the same way. She was phenomenal.

The only thing I found the hardest for the entire thing was the waiting period to get the first grade back so I would know what direction to go in the class. Most teachers would get the grades back within 3 days. But when I'm in a five or a six-week course and when the teachers would take almost 5 to 6 days to get back to me with a grade, then I had no idea on the first week if I was going in the direction that that teacher wanted. I wouldn't get the papers back for almost a week and then I’ve already written the next paper. By the time I get my first grade back, I would have to, “Oh, crap, that’s not how this teacher does things.” So, then I would have to go back and make a bunch of corrections. It’s tough because they’ve got several classes that they’re doing but, still, that was the hardest thing for me. Other than that, I’ve already sent people to Ashford as their student now.

Ashford University response

We're happy to hear that our online platform worked with your busy lifestyle, Tina! With that said, a great experience is a two-way street and says a lot about your hard work and dedication. Please continue to keep in touch as you move forward, we love to hear from our students and alumni!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

My mom attended Ashford. I wanted to do the same degree that she did, and I love early childhood. I love working with kids since I was seven. And so, I would often read the books that she had. I would read her papers, partly to look for grammar for her papers because I was in high school by the time she started. She let me kinda watch what she was doing. She told me, "I have discussions due here. I have papers due here." I really liked the way that it was all set up and the discussions once a week on this day and papers this day. I got really good feedback from her. And I know she got good feedback from her professors on all her papers because I was always interested in what she got. She let me read the feedback, and I know it was really helpful for her and that's what I wanted. I wanted professors that would give feedback that would help in what I needed, and be able to contact them.

It was the year after I graduated when I decided to go back to get my degree, and I knew immediately I wanted to go to Ashford. I loved my learning experience through them. In my second year, I was diagnosed with chronic migraine and Ashford didn't waste any time getting me accommodation. So a lot of my materials were print, and that made it a lot easier to learn. They were very accommodating with that. But even before then, we were provided with about 7 to 10 resources in addition to the book that all the professors provided.

The Ashford library had so many resources. I was never without resources for papers, and I gained a lot of information in all of my classes. Some are like classes that don't even really pertain to my degree right now because I teach three year-olds. I don't really need American government to teach three year-olds, but I still learned a lot from that class, and I'm glad I did. I have one friend that I worked with, and she said she has to redo her CDA. She works full-time and I told her about Ashford. I told her their classes are five weeks classes. I also told her I was working full-time and I was able to complete my bachelor's degree with no trouble. And she aid she's gonna have to look into it.

Ashford University response

Your mom must be so proud, Katiesue! We're so happy that she set a great example for you and we hope that you'll pass that onto your friends and family as well. Please keep in touch on all that you achieve!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

Original review: March 24, 2020

The enrolment with Ashford was very easy and very quick. The staff was all very good and very professional. Everybody knew what they were doing. Also, the instructors responded on time, in a good time especially for an online school. I did a degree in History and attending Ashford was convenient. The classes were very fast and made it very easy for me being on a military schedule. Between deployments and everything, I was able to get the schooling done and continue going to work without many issues.

I had to take leave occasionally to get the work done, but that’s expected. I was still able to complete everything while I was deployed. We still had computer access and everything. Any time I felt like I was going to have any kind of issues, I would let my instructors know, or sometimes I have to let them know on the backend if we would do the next of kin notifications. They would lock down communications of the base so we have no outgoing messages and without notice, I couldn’t let my instructors know. But I would still be able to say, “Hey, I know I missed that assignment yesterday. It’s because we had no internet connection.” And they worked with me and prevented any lost points.

Ashford University response

This has us smiling from ear to ear, Steven. We're honored to support our servicemembers on their educational journeys and look forward to your bright future. Please keep in touch as you move forward!

Original review: March 21, 2020

I filled out something on some website that I was interested in going back to college and I ended up getting calls from five different universities. Ashford was the first one to call me. I enrolled with them and that was was easy. I had a lot of transfer credits and they were really easy to get in contact with concerning all the classes that I needed to get transferred. At first, some didn't apply towards my credit but I challenged it and they ended up taking more than they first approved. That was a really easy process and they were super easy to communicate with. It was really good.

I got my Communications degree with Ashford. We had five week-long classes where instead of semesters, we were taking five classes at a time over three or four months. It was one class at a time every five weeks with just crammed information. I really liked that because I only had to focus on one class and there was no excuse to let anything fall behind. My favorite thing about it was I went from doing semester-long classes and taking three or four at a time and I would just give myself the excuse like I needed to focus more on this class and not on that class. But when I just had one at a time in five weeks, it took out any excuse. My only critique would be Ashford is expensive. But that is the price you have to pay to have a schedule like that. Everything else was perfect.

Original review: March 20, 2020

The person I was working with at the time was going to Ashford and she said that it was a good school to go to. I also enrolled with them for about two years and I was able to finish organizational management. Their rep, Mark, was very helpful and he was a pretty good counselor at the time being that I had no college experience or how things were or how they should be. My interactions with their staff went very smoothly, too. Being in the military, whenever I needed further assistance or I couldn’t make a deadline because I had some type of movement, they were always there and willing to help in anyway they could.

Ashford University response

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community, Cedric. We're honored to support our military members on their educational journeys, and look forward to all that you achieve. Please keep in touch as you move forward! #AshfordProud

Original review: March 15, 2020

Ashford University worked well with the military and our schedule. Plus, the classes were more for our pace and quicker to get things done. When I enrolled with them, the process was pretty smooth and it didn’t take very long. And the instructors seemed very well-qualified, whether it be academic or job experience or both. I ended up with a degree in accounting and I liked the five weeks length course. I also liked that you didn’t have to just drag your course out. You can just get everything done and start with the next course.

Ashford University response

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community, Justin. We're honored to support service members on their educational journeys, and know that you have a bright future. Please keep in touch as you move forward!

Original review: March 14, 2020

When I went to school, I had checked some colleges and I decided to go to Ashford. I liked the way they did their online course. The enrolment was done very easily and explainable. Everything was great. Everybody was extremely helpful. They made everything available that was needed. If I didn’t understand something, they went out of their way to explain it. They make sure I understood it. And they always made sure when things were changing, they let me knew way ahead of time. They kept me up on dates, like if I had some papers that I didn’t file correctly, they got on it really fast, let me know and guided me through. I liked the fact that it didn’t interfere with my work, my job, and my personal life. Everything fits right in perfectly. So, the whole learning experience after, especially with my bachelor’s, was so wonderful, that I decided to go for my master’s in criminal justice with them as well.

Ashford University response

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community, David. A great experience is a two-way street and says a lot about your hard work and dedication. Keep it up, and please stay in touch on all that you achieve!

Ashford University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ashford University has a mission to provide accessible and affordable education. The university offers more than 80 degree programs, including numerous business degrees offered through the Forbes School of Business and Technology, a partnership between Ashford University and Forbes. Other degree programs include accounting, finance, communications, criminal justice, education, health care, information technology, social and behavioral science, liberal arts and political science.

• Regionally accredited: Ashford University earned accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, one of the six regional accrediting organizations, in 2013. Ashford University’s business program has additional accreditation through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education.

• Online and on-campus: Ashford University has a long-established campus in Clinton, Iowa, and a virtual campus that’s available to students worldwide.

• Transparent tuition: The university posts tuition and fees on its website so there are no surprises after admission.

• Internal scholarships available: Ashford University offers several scholarships to students who qualify.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ashford University Company Information

1918
    8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
    San Diego