2. Education
University of Arizona Global Campus

Formerly Ashford University

4.5/5 (240 ratings)

About The University of Arizona Global Campus

The University of Arizona Global Campus is an accredited online university offering 60+ associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees.

Pros

• Variety of degrees
  • 90 credit transfers
  • Accredited
  • Military grants

Cons

• Limited resources
  • No on-site program

Bottom Line

With a wide variety of degree options and no set class schedules, Ashford University offers flexibility for nontraditional students. Although resources are limited, grants and transfer options help make it more affordable.

Top University of Arizona Global Campus Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Arizona Global Campus?

Verified

The curriculum from Ashford University was tailored to what I was looking for. And their classes were a little bit more condensed. ... As long as you do what you're supposed to do...

Verified

Thank you Ashford for offering those wonderful scholarships because school is something very important ... So it's amazing that they not only partner with various companies who ar...

What is Ashford University?

Ashford University is an accredited, for-profit university that offers more than 60 academic degrees. All Ashford University degrees are completed through its online platform, which allows students to log in at any time and not just during normal school hours.

Students communicate with instructors and peers through discussion boards, submit assignments through portals and access a full range of digital materials designed to make the learning experience as impactful and straightforward as possible. Courses last between five and six weeks.

While some online schools don’t allow students to transfer their credits, Ashford allows a maximum transfer of 90 Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts credit transfers to help make learning more affordable and personalized. This includes nontraditional credits, including ones earned through the military, vocational training or professional experience.

Ashford University’s master’s programs do not require students to take the GMAT or GRE, which makes the application process easier.

Ashford University degrees

Ashford University’s online degrees are designed for any skill set or career goal. Bachelor’s degrees are available in some of the most in-demand fields, including health care, information management, education and business administration.

Ashford University masterj's degree programs include health care administration, psychology, human resource management, criminal justice, finance and more. It offers doctoral degrees in psychology, philosophy in education, philosophy in human services and philosophy in organizational development and leadership.

With the Ashford University degree finder, students can find options based on their desired career path. For example, students who say they want to “explore something new” are matched with degree options like instructional design, child development or business information systems based on their previous experience.

Ashford University tuition

Ashford University’s tuition varies by degree. For students pursuing an undergraduate degree, the cost is $510 per credit, plus a $115 technology fee per course. For reference, it takes a minimum of 120 credits to graduate with a bachelor’s degree, which would add up to around $61,200 plus fees for students who take all their courses online through Ashford.

Ashford University master’s programs cost between $635 and $740 per credit, and doctoral degrees cost $1,082 per credit, plus a $145 technology fee per course. The doctoral program also requires three in-residence workshops, with a cost of $500 per workshop, and a $500 Dissertation/Applied Doctoral Project Support fee.

Ashford University offers a variety of scholarships and grants for eligible students, including business school scholarships, teacher scholarships, grants for registered nurses and more.

Ashford University FAQ

Is Ashford University accredited?
Yes. Ashford University is regionally accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). Regional accreditation means that more credit transfers are allowed than with national accreditation.
Where is Ashford University?
Ashford University is located in San Diego, California.
Is Ashford University a good school?
Yes, Ashford University is a good school for students who want a nontraditional learning experience from an accredited university.
Is Ashford University for profit?
Yes, Ashford University is for profit.
How much does Ashford University cost?
It depends on the degree program. Undergraduate degree programs cost $510 per credit, master’s degree programs cost between $635 and $740 per credit, and doctoral programs cost $1,082 per credit. These programs also include a technology fee per course, between $115 and $145, and other additional costs, including fees for workshops, books, diplomas and more.
Does Ashford University offer laptops?
No, Ashford University does not offer laptops for students.

Is Ashford University legit?

For nontraditional students who want a flexible learning experience, Ashford University is a great option. While the community may not be as robust as some other universities, there are a wide variety of Ashford University degrees available and classes can be taken at any time, anywhere. And, based on the national cost per credit hour average of $594, Ashford University offers a fair price on its accredited degrees.

University of Arizona Global Campus Reviews

Original review: March 28, 2021

I was looking for a program to get started in that would meet my schedule. One of the reasons why I went with Ashford was because it was set up for five-week courses. It was one course at a time configuration, which to me was a little bit more manageable than doing more classes at the same time. I am not a person that I can balance between two or three different courses, especially with full-time work. Focusing on one subject at a time was the right thing for me.

With Ashford, it's very aggressive. There are a lot of chapters that had to be read and there were responses all week long. As long as you stay with that schedule, it's manageable. If you skip any part of that schedule, then it’s would be difficult to get back on schedule. You have to commit hours every night in order to achieve anything decent with that course.

Ashford also has an online environment and it was something that worked for me. I did fine with it. But I wish the online environments were more technical in nature. If you do IT, you can do that online but there's not much outside of that. I'm more of a Logical Engineering background with the type of work I do but I'm in a management position. I was looking for something that would help guide more of the technical side of the house. That's really hard to do online. Ashford doesn't really offer much like that.

It took me a couple of years before I finally enrolled with Ashford because they came up with a different program that seemed more suited for what I was looking for. I went with Operational and Analysis, Management of Operations. There were topics that were beneficial to my work. One of the reasons I took the degree that I did was because a lot of these subjects were things that I deal with on a regular basis. The coursework helped reinforce some of the stuff that I was already doing and gave me more information about that. I appreciated that.

I also liked the idea of how Ashford was set up where all the manuals were online. It's nice that you can just get your publications off of that. I was in the military so I had the grant. I didn't have to pay for the books per se and they were available for me to use for the most part, which was exceptional for that aspect. Because of the fact that the programs are so aggressive while I was enrolled throughout it, the other manuals were there so I could always go back and review if I needed to which was nice.

I took two courses for Accounting I and Accounting II. There was a lot of good information. I somewhat struggled. I made it through the classes fine but I would have liked to have been able to go back and review some of the information. I have no ability to do that now. After I finished my last course, I was able to go into the portal and I saw the information from my classes. But the last time I was in, I poked around and I saw that there were no more of the books that I had there available.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I am a T-Mobile employee in a leadership position and I was searching through some of the benefits that we have for working with T-Mobile. A full tuition on leadership grant was one of the option. There was a list of schools and the one that attracted me the most based off its reputation in business was Ashford University. So, I filled out an interest form and then, I was able to meet with an enrollment counselor. I liked the structure and the way that Ashford University or University of Arizona Global Campus structures their courses where it's one course at a time. It's fast-paced but essentially flexible for somebody who's a full-time employee and had other responsibilities.

The enrollment process itself was great. Everybody was easily accessible and what benefited me the most was that Ashford is a West Coast-based company. Most of the places that I needed to get ahold of were either in the West Coast or using Mountain Time. So with me being on the East Coast, it gave me even more of an advantage with flexibility and being able to reach somebody. Through my time at Ashford, I've had to partner with my academic advisors. I've partnered with financial aid and the grants team, and even with IT when I was having issues. And I didn't have any issues.

From a student standpoint or a learning standpoint, the only opportunity for improvement is the way that certain professors structure the group work. When you're doing, in essence, online learning or distance learning, group work can be very difficult depending on time zones and what the day looks like for everybody in the group. About three of my classes required group work and that's where I struggled the most. I had to communicate with my professors more often than usual and that needs to improve. They should determine a way of scheduling a specific time or limiting the group work to you and one other person. Every class that I had group work in was a group of between three to five different students, and it was chaos at that point.

I actively and openly recommend Ashford University to people that work with T-Mobile and even outside of T-Mobile. It's a great program. They gave me the foundation that I need to excel in my career. I've been looking for a job since graduating in September and I got it today. A few hours ago, I was in my final interview for this salary, administrative, generously compensating position. I was talking about what Ashford did for me academically and personally. They gave me the structure, the maturity and the confidence to go out there and sell myself for a manager position.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

My former employer was partnering with Ashford University for people that were close to completing degrees and wanted to have an opportunity. So once you are there a certain amount of time on the job, then you have an opportunity to take advantage of that. I did that and for the most part, it was good. I learned a lot. We had opportunities to use different types of tools to complete our assignments. Everything wasn't the same type of thing over and over. So we got to experience different things and it made it interesting.

Sometimes the instructors do too many of those discussion polls. Then you have to have all that done on a certain day plus do a paper. You still have to write an assignment on top of doing that, and then you have to respond to two or three different people’s comments that have been posted. So that gets to be a lot, especially it's designed around most people that are still working and adult learning. There should be a way to make it so you can focus a lot more time to work towards on your paper as opposed to trying to get all these posts done and then you have to respond to all these people. Some of the instructors had it formatted that way and you had a little more time to work on your paper than others.

When the instructors review your paper for you, it took longer than 24 hours to get the response back. Then they were not supposed to tell you what to do. But a lot of times, the responses were a lot vague and I had to get feedback on their feedback. A couple of times, I ended up having to try to do a lot of chats to understand what they were trying to tell me. So I was still guessing as to how to approach certain things that I had inquired about. So, whoever is doing that end of it can be a little bit more specific about what it is that they're pointing out to you to work on or give you more specific information about it. I have told a few people about Ashford University because it’s online. Some of the classes you wish can be in-person because of the type of class that it is. But it's online, so it allows a little more flexibility to work around your work schedule. I would recommend for anybody trying to finish up their degree.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I had some difficulties with my degree plan and making sure that I was on track. There was a couple of different mix-ups in how many classes I was gonna have to take. That was kind of like a battle throughout the entire year. It was a little frustrating. I already had over 90 hours complete, so there was a mix-up of them wanting to meet certain requirements. I've never had a good grasp on my timeline and what I needed to complete to graduate. It flip-flopped several times while I was a student.

There were parts during transferring that were easy, but then there were parts that required really intense follow-up. It made it kind of annoying and cumbersome to make sure that everything got done and I had all my ducks in a row. So there was a lot of focus on the administrative functions to make sure that they got done. I was always an 11-year college student so I've had other bad experiences with universities in regards to that stuff. I work in the financial industry and I know the flow and process.

Lucky for me, I had a good foundation to make sure things get done just from my work experience. But as a student that didn't have that prior exposure, I can imagine they can let things go unnoticed for some time, and then turn around and kinda be screwed on having to take more classes or not having stuff the way it should be. They would be losing resources or time on unchecked errors. I had some frustrations with Ashford but I didn't have high expectations to begin with. So I kinda was able to navigate it.

From an academic standpoint, the classroom was all fine. It was a good experience too. There were some classes where I felt that the coursework was little redundant and could be steered a little bit differently. But those are very niche complaints. All the professors were knowledgeable. I took scientific writing and it wasn't until the third or fourth week that I even knew what the class was really about. It kinda felt like it was aimless at some points. For it to be such a technical class and then having it online, there were certain aspects of the class that it was almost like watching a movie and starting in the middle and then there were three different plots to the movie. The flow was disorganized. It's almost like a class that you really just need to have introduced in person. I made straight A's and it was the only class that I got a B in. But the instructor knew the content and the coursework. They were knowledgeable.

If you can get going and get started in the classroom, and if you can just focus on being a student, I recommend Ashford. I went to three different advisors. I kept getting the switch but they were all super sweet. They all treated me very well. I'm not an online person, so I'm very much in person lecture. I have very short attention span and low discipline. But the online structure caused me to research things and take ownership of my education, which made me a little bit more educational fruit in the process. So, as a student, they did a great job, but there are definitely opportunities for growth and guidance on the administrative side.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I used the Prentice Publication for military schools and Ashford University had checkmarks for every category they had. There were three schools like that and I liked Ashford the most. I went with them for my degree in Organizational Management. I had issues one time with an instructor about unfair grading. No one knew what the grading scale of the professor I had issues with was and she was complaining about the way I submitted my papers.

When she uploaded it to her software for grading or her software to see if I had plagiarized, that software would change the format of my document and put an extra two spaces in. She told me to send my file as a PDF when I was five classes away from graduating. I told her that I've never had to do that the entire time I was at Ashford. So she took points off my grade and said that my format was wrong. When I looked at my formatting when I downloaded my file from the website for my submissions, it looked perfect. I emailed her and told her about it and she said that the issue was her software and that I should send my work as a PDF.

I emailed Ashford and talked to my counselor about the problem. He said that I shouldn't have to submit my files as a PDF as I'm in the military. He said that Ashford gets a lot of people who are just sending stuff through government computers. He also told me that he has been with Ashford for a while and that the school takes things very seriously when students have issues. He suggested that I do a grade appeal. I did that and Ashford got back to me telling me that my grade was fair.

I did something else as well and the school reviewed what I said. They spoke to the instructor and everything was cleared up. Afterward, things changed and the professor's grading became better. She started offering more options and telling people that they needed certain things for help. Overall, I had a good experience at Ashford. The counselors there are good and the curriculum is cool. Plus, I like the school's interface. They use Blackboard and Campus which is a really intuitive, app-based thing. The fact that everything was easy and simple to find was my favorite. Their interface also provided free software for writing labs.

University of Arizona Global Campus response

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community, Markcus. We're happy to hear that although you ran into some issues, we were able to clear them up. Please keep us updated on all that you accomplish in the future! #AshfordProud.

Original review: July 20, 2021

The learning experience was good, and I liked it. It was one class at a time, so it allowed me to manage my work life, family life and school. The professors are always there and willing to help if I have questions. Send them an email, and they’ll either respond that same day or within 24 hours. University of Arizona is a great school. They have tutoring 24-7. They also have their online library and a librarian, so there are plenty of resources to help you throughout your classes. If you're falling behind or don't know what to do, then there's always help. Just click away.

Original review: July 19, 2021

University of Arizona has a partnership with my workplace and my workplace covered an amount, and then the rest was on a grant through the University of Arizona. Enrolling was fairly easy. They helped me get everything going. I had access to the professors when needed and they responded fairly quickly. The content was good, too. I am completely finished with my MBA.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I was at a dead-end job and they told me to stop working so hard. So, I decided to go to school while I was getting paid to work. Ashford was the most convenient, so I applied, and three years later, I graduated. Enrolling was pretty straightforward. I was in school twice previous to being at Ashford, and they managed to pull all my old records and they added the credit for me. They made it really simple. It was a great experience. I just feel like the five-week courses kind of blended in together. I felt like I was done with a class, and then jumped right into another. I learned a lot though. I'm in a job now where my degree is necessary. So, it helped, but I feel like I didn't get the class experience. It was so quick.

The library was really great. There are sources in there for me to write my papers. Having free Grammarly was really successful. Tutoring was amazing as well. I did struggle on some classes and I went to the tutors and they were able to help me out. The best advice I could give is to use all the resources that Ashford makes available to you.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I started working at Manheim, which is through Cox Automotive. I knew that Cox Automotive was already partnered through University of Arizona Global, so I figured it would be easier to just stay with them than rather try to find another college and get all that started. I never had to worry about talking to somebody or trying to get a phone call back. It was always answered in a timely manner. As far as the professors, there were some with classes that were difficult to take. But I felt like there were others who weren't very strict as of their requirements that they had. It was a great experience overall and I would definitely go back if I needed to.

Original review: July 16, 2021

The learning process at University of Arizona was super flexible. I went completely online so I could do it after work any day and everything was very user-friendly as a student. I had great professors and I only had one that I disagreed with. It was a class that was a repeat or very similar to a class I already had. It was on a certain paper that she wanted and I wanted to build off of something I already worked on because I could take it a lot further. When I turned it in, she gave me an F on it and said that it was too similar to my old one. I completely went through and redid everything. It was just that I used some of the same sources. So, her communication was completely off and she wouldn't work with me and left it as it was. But I had zero problems with the rest of the professors.

Certain professors were awesome about answering questions in a timely manner and getting back to me. The other ones gave good feedback on the quality of work and a lot of them were very clear on what they expected from students. It wasn't a guessing game. University of Arizona was good and the only problem I ran into was using military funding to pay for it. They told me I was also eligible for fast fund but halfway through, I found out I wasn't. So, I’m trying to find out how to pay for it. But it has helped me in the military having a Bachelor's in giving me promotion points. I'm still active duty in the military and the degree is more of a future-type thing for when I get out.

The University of Arizona Global Campus Company Information

University of Arizona Global Campus
    1918
    Formerly Named:
    Ashford University
    8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
    San Diego