2. Education
University of Arizona Global Campus

Formerly Ashford University

4.5/5 (196 ratings)

About The University of Arizona Global Campus

The University of Arizona Global Campus is an accredited online university offering 60+ associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees.

Pros

• Variety of degrees
  • 90 credit transfers
  • Accredited
  • Military grants

Cons

• Limited resources
  • No on-site program

Bottom Line

With a wide variety of degree options and no set class schedules, Ashford University offers flexibility for nontraditional students. Although resources are limited, grants and transfer options help make it more affordable.

Top University of Arizona Global Campus Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Arizona Global Campus?

Verified

The curriculum from Ashford University was tailored to what I was looking for. And their classes were a little bit more condensed. ... As long as you do what you're supposed to do...

Verified

Thank you Ashford for offering those wonderful scholarships because school is something very important ... So it's amazing that they not only partner with various companies who ar...

What is Ashford University?

Ashford University is an accredited, for-profit university that offers more than 60 academic degrees. All Ashford University degrees are completed through its online platform, which allows students to log in at any time and not just during normal school hours.

Students communicate with instructors and peers through discussion boards, submit assignments through portals and access a full range of digital materials designed to make the learning experience as impactful and straightforward as possible. Courses last between five and six weeks.

While some online schools don’t allow students to transfer their credits, Ashford allows a maximum transfer of 90 Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts credit transfers to help make learning more affordable and personalized. This includes nontraditional credits, including ones earned through the military, vocational training or professional experience.

Ashford University’s master’s programs do not require students to take the GMAT or GRE, which makes the application process easier.

Ashford University degrees

Ashford University’s online degrees are designed for any skill set or career goal. Bachelor’s degrees are available in some of the most in-demand fields, including health care, information management, education and business administration.

Ashford University masterj's degree programs include health care administration, psychology, human resource management, criminal justice, finance and more. It offers doctoral degrees in psychology, philosophy in education, philosophy in human services and philosophy in organizational development and leadership.

With the Ashford University degree finder, students can find options based on their desired career path. For example, students who say they want to “explore something new” are matched with degree options like instructional design, child development or business information systems based on their previous experience.

Ashford University tuition

Ashford University’s tuition varies by degree. For students pursuing an undergraduate degree, the cost is $510 per credit, plus a $115 technology fee per course. For reference, it takes a minimum of 120 credits to graduate with a bachelor’s degree, which would add up to around $61,200 plus fees for students who take all their courses online through Ashford.

Ashford University master’s programs cost between $635 and $740 per credit, and doctoral degrees cost $1,082 per credit, plus a $145 technology fee per course. The doctoral program also requires three in-residence workshops, with a cost of $500 per workshop, and a $500 Dissertation/Applied Doctoral Project Support fee.

Ashford University offers a variety of scholarships and grants for eligible students, including business school scholarships, teacher scholarships, grants for registered nurses and more.

Ashford University FAQ

Is Ashford University accredited?
Yes. Ashford University is regionally accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). Regional accreditation means that more credit transfers are allowed than with national accreditation.
Where is Ashford University?
Ashford University is located in San Diego, California.
Is Ashford University a good school?
Yes, Ashford University is a good school for students who want a nontraditional learning experience from an accredited university.
Is Ashford University for profit?
Yes, Ashford University is for profit.
How much does Ashford University cost?
It depends on the degree program. Undergraduate degree programs cost $510 per credit, master’s degree programs cost between $635 and $740 per credit, and doctoral programs cost $1,082 per credit. These programs also include a technology fee per course, between $115 and $145, and other additional costs, including fees for workshops, books, diplomas and more.
Does Ashford University offer laptops?
No, Ashford University does not offer laptops for students.

Is Ashford University legit?

For nontraditional students who want a flexible learning experience, Ashford University is a great option. While the community may not be as robust as some other universities, there are a wide variety of Ashford University degrees available and classes can be taken at any time, anywhere. And, based on the national cost per credit hour average of $594, Ashford University offers a fair price on its accredited degrees.

University of Arizona Global Campus Reviews

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I like Ashford's full tuition assistance. I had a lot of other financial engagements, and I thought this was a better option. That way, I would be able to accomplish my goal, which is to finish my master’s and at the same time to not be able to have to pay anything, since my company, Verizon, provided a partial tuition assistance. Ashford would be able to provide the other portion that I would need. So, that way, I don't have to pay anything. Then I decided to pursue another master’s after that because I thought it was worthwhile in order to achieve my other goal, which is to be a director. I'm pursuing the organizational leadership education now in order to achieve that goal.

The university's process was pretty simple. If I can’t reach my adviser, there are other advisers that can assist me if I have any questions. The professors are pretty reasonable answering. One of the things that I did miss was some of my classes at the beginning offered a bit more easier access to the professor because they will provide their phones and you could call and they will answer you back that same day. Now, everything is just email, and, "I will answer you in 24 hours." That is good, but sometimes you have those questions for your homework that is due and you can’t call the professor, and he may or may not check his emails as regularly as you would like.

Other than that, the staff has been very cordial and willing to help. Enrollment was easy, too. They are always willing to go above and beyond. A lot of times, when students are thinking, “This is what I want to actually pursue because I like this career, or the classes will help me achieve my goals,” I would advise them to speak with an adviser or someone that's more knowledgeable than they are, if they're not, to ensure that this is the best path. One of the things that I discovered while enrolled is that when I was pursuing my master's, I realized that there are other certifications that I can pursue that will enhance my current MBA specialization as a project manager. I did not know that and I did not ask about that. That would have been good to know. That would have been more helpful.

The master’s as a project manager is good, but in reality, I still need that certification and that would have been good to know ahead of time. I would have still taken my MBA specializing as a project manager. Where I work right now, they value more that certification rather than the specialization. So, I would advise whoever is planning to do that to ask those questions. The MBA may not be the best path or the fastest path to achieve what that person wants, but there are other courses that you can take and allow you to get that certification faster. Then you're able to continue your career path, satisfy university and the student also. I have two professors that are on my recommendation.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

University of Arizona Global Campus was Ashford at the time. I chose them because they offered me more give-back for my schooling that I already did through the military. There was no issue with if I needed to get time off or I needed to change the schedule. It was going almost immediately. There was no hemming and hawing about, "Oh, well, we can't do this because this is..." It was, "Okay, absolutely. If this is what you need done, we could do it for you."

The professors are great. It varies from class to class. There are some who seem like they're just moving through the motions. But overall, that's a handful of instructors I've had through way over 30 classes with Ashford. They do a great job working with the students. If you communicate with them, you have something going on or if there's a needed extension on an assignment, I've never had a problem working with the professors.

The only thing I had a slight issue with is, back in my bachelor's degree, I ran into two professors that were upset with my topic of choice. So, they marked down my papers based off of what I chose to write about. And when I emailed them directly about it saying, "Hey, what am I doing wrong that I'm getting marked down for my assignments?", they responded, "Oh, it's because of your viewpoints on this topic. It doesn't align with my viewpoint." Isn't that the whole point of college - to have that kind of difference in viewpoints? But that was one or two. It wasn't anything super outstanding with the organization.

Being it's an online college, I get what I put into it. I couldn't be lazy because I don't have that face-to-face interaction with the instructors. So, getting some other colleges would be one thing that might be good to look into in the future. They have that video conference, face-to-face learning experience, just to go over some of the more complex theories or the more complex subjects that we come across to make sure that there's a more deep understanding of the concepts that are trying to be taught. I actively recommend University of Arizona Global Campus when someone asks me about it. I've had a couple of friends go and sign up for the college because they knew that is where I went.

Original review: March 28, 2021

I was looking for a program to get started in that would meet my schedule. One of the reasons why I went with Ashford was because it was set up for five-week courses. It was one course at a time configuration, which to me was a little bit more manageable than doing more classes at the same time. I am not a person that I can balance between two or three different courses, especially with full-time work. Focusing on one subject at a time was the right thing for me.

With Ashford, it's very aggressive. There are a lot of chapters that had to be read and there were responses all week long. As long as you stay with that schedule, it's manageable. If you skip any part of that schedule, then it’s would be difficult to get back on schedule. You have to commit hours every night in order to achieve anything decent with that course.

Ashford also has an online environment and it was something that worked for me. I did fine with it. But I wish the online environments were more technical in nature. If you do IT, you can do that online but there's not much outside of that. I'm more of a Logical Engineering background with the type of work I do but I'm in a management position. I was looking for something that would help guide more of the technical side of the house. That's really hard to do online. Ashford doesn't really offer much like that.

It took me a couple of years before I finally enrolled with Ashford because they came up with a different program that seemed more suited for what I was looking for. I went with Operational and Analysis, Management of Operations. There were topics that were beneficial to my work. One of the reasons I took the degree that I did was because a lot of these subjects were things that I deal with on a regular basis. The coursework helped reinforce some of the stuff that I was already doing and gave me more information about that. I appreciated that.

I also liked the idea of how Ashford was set up where all the manuals were online. It's nice that you can just get your publications off of that. I was in the military so I had the grant. I didn't have to pay for the books per se and they were available for me to use for the most part, which was exceptional for that aspect. Because of the fact that the programs are so aggressive while I was enrolled throughout it, the other manuals were there so I could always go back and review if I needed to which was nice.

I took two courses for Accounting I and Accounting II. There was a lot of good information. I somewhat struggled. I made it through the classes fine but I would have liked to have been able to go back and review some of the information. I have no ability to do that now. After I finished my last course, I was able to go into the portal and I saw the information from my classes. But the last time I was in, I poked around and I saw that there were no more of the books that I had there available.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I did my online research so I could major in a program that was within my career field, which was long-term care and assisted living as far as health care management. I was looking to obtain more of a corporate job within long-term care. So I decided to go to Ashford due to the fact that it was online. It was very, very flexible for myself and my household. The convenience alone was the number one seller, and the fact that you're able to communicate with your peers. We did a couple of group activities. But other than that, it was more so self-motivating and to have the discipline to accomplish what I set out to do, which was graduate with honors. The only setback is the fact that there was no internship, and I'm still unemployed.

Everything was so impersonal when I was at Ashford. You may have seen a picture of your instructor, but you never heard their voice. I've never heard the voice of either of my instructors. I don't need to talk to you in order to be successful. But it was a huge drawback. Because at the end of the day when you graduate, you don't have anyone that can give you a reference since they don't know who you are. They only know your name and your assignment.

When I applied to one of the programs at one of the university hospitals here to get into their management program, asking for references was a challenge. The dean of my academic structure genre was the one that wrote the reference for me and to the day, I don't even know what it was. He didn't know me from a can of paint besides on what I told him. That was not bad in itself because it was a very competitive program that I did not get in. But I'm sitting here with a master's degree and I have six figures’ worth of student loans I have to pay back, and I don't have a job. I was very excited to graduate with honors and I couldn't walk due to COVID. But at the end of the day, I feel that I'm not even competitive.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I am a T-Mobile employee in a leadership position and I was searching through some of the benefits that we have for working with T-Mobile. A full tuition on leadership grant was one of the option. There was a list of schools and the one that attracted me the most based off its reputation in business was Ashford University. So, I filled out an interest form and then, I was able to meet with an enrollment counselor. I liked the structure and the way that Ashford University or University of Arizona Global Campus structures their courses where it's one course at a time. It's fast-paced but essentially flexible for somebody who's a full-time employee and had other responsibilities.

The enrollment process itself was great. Everybody was easily accessible and what benefited me the most was that Ashford is a West Coast-based company. Most of the places that I needed to get ahold of were either in the West Coast or using Mountain Time. So with me being on the East Coast, it gave me even more of an advantage with flexibility and being able to reach somebody. Through my time at Ashford, I've had to partner with my academic advisors. I've partnered with financial aid and the grants team, and even with IT when I was having issues. And I didn't have any issues.

From a student standpoint or a learning standpoint, the only opportunity for improvement is the way that certain professors structure the group work. When you're doing, in essence, online learning or distance learning, group work can be very difficult depending on time zones and what the day looks like for everybody in the group. About three of my classes required group work and that's where I struggled the most. I had to communicate with my professors more often than usual and that needs to improve. They should determine a way of scheduling a specific time or limiting the group work to you and one other person. Every class that I had group work in was a group of between three to five different students, and it was chaos at that point.

I actively and openly recommend Ashford University to people that work with T-Mobile and even outside of T-Mobile. It's a great program. They gave me the foundation that I need to excel in my career. I've been looking for a job since graduating in September and I got it today. A few hours ago, I was in my final interview for this salary, administrative, generously compensating position. I was talking about what Ashford did for me academically and personally. They gave me the structure, the maturity and the confidence to go out there and sell myself for a manager position.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I attended when they were Ashford University a little over a year ago. Things were smooth and their online platform was easy to use. Made the experience quite simple outside of the education part. I learned a lot as well. The curriculum was good with a lot of different ranges of information from all different facets. The staff was helpful whenever I had questions and they were very timely with their responses. Sometimes there were some inconsistencies with the professors and how they manage the class and what their expectations were, from class to class, but that's expected. Not all professors are going to be the same. Overall, I enjoyed my time there.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Enrollment for Ashford was smooth and the process of the classes was the biggest deal for my deciding factor. So, when I talked to the counselor, they were explaining that it was one class at a time. I've already been working in the field that I went to get a degree in for 10-plus years. So, most of the stuff was self-explanatory for me. The few times that I had to speak to an instructor were for two classes that I had issues coming up with work. They saw that there was copied text out of a book that I was told I needed to do the work out of and I referenced it. It still got sent in plagiarism so, I was trying to explain that. My explanation wasn't something that was trying to be heard so it was just what they found out and that was it. I’m still a bit sour about that.

Early on when I first started, I had one instructor let me know that he had a friend or a colleague that works here in the local area where I'm at, in Anchorage. He told me that if I ever decided to get into the job field where his friend worked, he would give a good reference for me if I needed one. I was excited to hear it. I was very satisfied with everything up until this pandemic screwed up the graduation. I was looking forward to walking on the stage. I graduated in August. So, it was the second one that was online and I was hoping that it would have been over and done by that time.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

My sister went to Ashford University and she graduated. So, I decided to get my master’s from there. I liked the quarter system that they had and it was more convenient for my work schedule. I was able to work full time and still go to college. The enrollment process was very easy and I had a good advisor, or as far as classes, and even the financial support that Ashford has, making sure that your courses are paid for on time. They send the notification and make sure that your credits transfer over. Even though it was online, it was still an engaged platform as far as how the classroom is structured with the discussion questions. Being able to communicate on a daily basis with all the other students through the discussion board was very helpful. It still felt like I knew the students that were in the class with me.

The professors were rigorous but they were also there to support. Anytime I had an issue or concern about a topic in class, they would respond back to an email and even offered office times where we could either do video conference or phone call. So, the professors were there to also teach a good curriculum. I was very satisfied with Ashford University and the curriculum and the teachers. It’s convenient for people who have children who work full time jobs but still want to advance in their education. It’s an easy transition from getting your records from your bachelor degree or associate's program. I would highly recommend Ashford University.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I like the way everything was formatted and that I work at my own pace. Majority of the classes I was in, how everyone interacted with each other, try to help each other, through Facebook groups, I was in as well. It seemed like a pretty good community as far as how everything was set up. For the most part, I love my instructors. There were a few that I had a disagreement or two with. But they were always available to reach out to if I had any questions. They helped and assisted us tremendously. A few of them became our mentors throughout my experience in Ashford.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I worked through EdAssist with my employer and the university and the process was smooth. The class flow went very well. Glad to be done, and I was very pleased with my experience there. For prospective students, just stay on top of it. When you have a question, reach out to your professor. They are bright and being very responsive, more than happy to help. But it's up to each individual to actually reach out when needed.

The University of Arizona Global Campus Company Information

University of Arizona Global Campus
    1918
    Formerly Named:
    Ashford University
    8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
    San Diego