2. Education

The University of Arizona Global Campus

Formerly Ashford University

University of Arizona Global Campus
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.55/5

The University of Arizona Global Campus is an accredited online university offering 60+ associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees.

University of Arizona Global Campus Video
BOTTOM LINE

With a wide variety of degree options and no set class schedules, Ashford University offers flexibility for nontraditional students. Although resources are limited, grants and transfer options help make it more affordable.

PROS
  • Variety of degrees
  • 90 credit transfers
  • Accredited
  • Military grants
CONS
  • Limited resources
  • No on-site program

Top University of Arizona Global Campus Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Arizona Global Campus?

The curriculum from Ashford University was tailored to what I was looking for. And their classes were a little bit more condensed. ... As long as you do what you're supposed to do, it's pretty easy to do. My experience was pretty good… I just finished my bachelor's. Now, I'm working on my master's.

Thank you Ashford for offering those wonderful scholarships because school is something very important ... So it's amazing that they not only partner with various companies who are interested in their employees reaching their educational goals, but they also helped meet the gap.

What is Ashford University?

Ashford University is an accredited, for-profit university that offers more than 60 academic degrees. All Ashford University degrees are completed through its online platform, which allows students to log in at any time and not just during normal school hours.

Students communicate with instructors and peers through discussion boards, submit assignments through portals and access a full range of digital materials designed to make the learning experience as impactful and straightforward as possible. Courses last between five and six weeks.

While some online schools don’t allow students to transfer their credits, Ashford allows a maximum transfer of 90 Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts credit transfers to help make learning more affordable and personalized. This includes nontraditional credits, including ones earned through the military, vocational training or professional experience.

Ashford University’s master’s programs do not require students to take the GMAT or GRE, which makes the application process easier.

Ashford University degrees

Ashford University’s online degrees are designed for any skill set or career goal. Bachelor’s degrees are available in some of the most in-demand fields, including health care, information management, education and business administration.

Ashford University masterj's degree programs include health care administration, psychology, human resource management, criminal justice, finance and more. It offers doctoral degrees in psychology, philosophy in education, philosophy in human services and philosophy in organizational development and leadership.

With the Ashford University degree finder, students can find options based on their desired career path. For example, students who say they want to “explore something new” are matched with degree options like instructional design, child development or business information systems based on their previous experience.

Ashford University tuition

Ashford University’s tuition varies by degree. For students pursuing an undergraduate degree, the cost is $510 per credit, plus a $115 technology fee per course. For reference, it takes a minimum of 120 credits to graduate with a bachelor’s degree, which would add up to around $61,200 plus fees for students who take all their courses online through Ashford.

Ashford University master’s programs cost between $635 and $740 per credit, and doctoral degrees cost $1,082 per credit, plus a $145 technology fee per course. The doctoral program also requires three in-residence workshops, with a cost of $500 per workshop, and a $500 Dissertation/Applied Doctoral Project Support fee.

Ashford University offers a variety of scholarships and grants for eligible students, including business school scholarships, teacher scholarships, grants for registered nurses and more.

Ashford University FAQ

Is Ashford University accredited?
Yes. Ashford University is regionally accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). Regional accreditation means that more credit transfers are allowed than with national accreditation.
Where is Ashford University?
Ashford University is located in San Diego, California.
Is Ashford University a good school?
Yes, Ashford University is a good school for students who want a nontraditional learning experience from an accredited university.
Is Ashford University for profit?
Yes, Ashford University is for profit.
How much does Ashford University cost?
It depends on the degree program. Undergraduate degree programs cost $510 per credit, master’s degree programs cost between $635 and $740 per credit, and doctoral programs cost $1,082 per credit. These programs also include a technology fee per course, between $115 and $145, and other additional costs, including fees for workshops, books, diplomas and more.
Does Ashford University offer laptops?
No, Ashford University does not offer laptops for students.

Is Ashford University legit?

For nontraditional students who want a flexible learning experience, Ashford University is a great option. While the community may not be as robust as some other universities, there are a wide variety of Ashford University degrees available and classes can be taken at any time, anywhere. And, based on the national cost per credit hour average of $594, Ashford University offers a fair price on its accredited degrees.

University of Arizona Global Campus Reviews

Original review: March 28, 2021

I was looking for a program to get started in that would meet my schedule. One of the reasons why I went with Ashford was because it was set up for five-week courses. It was one course at a time configuration, which to me was a little bit more manageable than doing more classes at the same time. I am not a person that I can balance between two or three different courses, especially with full-time work. Focusing on one subject at a time was the right thing for me.

With Ashford, it's very aggressive. There are a lot of chapters that had to be read and there were responses all week long. As long as you stay with that schedule, it's manageable. If you skip any part of that schedule, then it’s would be difficult to get back on schedule. You have to commit hours every night in order to achieve anything decent with that course.

Ashford also has an online environment and it was something that worked for me. I did fine with it. But I wish the online environments were more technical in nature. If you do IT, you can do that online but there's not much outside of that. I'm more of a Logical Engineering background with the type of work I do but I'm in a management position. I was looking for something that would help guide more of the technical side of the house. That's really hard to do online. Ashford doesn't really offer much like that.

It took me a couple of years before I finally enrolled with Ashford because they came up with a different program that seemed more suited for what I was looking for. I went with Operational and Analysis, Management of Operations. There were topics that were beneficial to my work. One of the reasons I took the degree that I did was because a lot of these subjects were things that I deal with on a regular basis. The coursework helped reinforce some of the stuff that I was already doing and gave me more information about that. I appreciated that.

I also liked the idea of how Ashford was set up where all the manuals were online. It's nice that you can just get your publications off of that. I was in the military so I had the grant. I didn't have to pay for the books per se and they were available for me to use for the most part, which was exceptional for that aspect. Because of the fact that the programs are so aggressive while I was enrolled throughout it, the other manuals were there so I could always go back and review if I needed to which was nice.

I took two courses for Accounting I and Accounting II. There was a lot of good information. I somewhat struggled. I made it through the classes fine but I would have liked to have been able to go back and review some of the information. I have no ability to do that now. After I finished my last course, I was able to go into the portal and I saw the information from my classes. But the last time I was in, I poked around and I saw that there were no more of the books that I had there available.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I had some difficulties with my degree plan and making sure that I was on track. There was a couple of different mix-ups in how many classes I was gonna have to take. That was kind of like a battle throughout the entire year. It was a little frustrating. I already had over 90 hours complete, so there was a mix-up of them wanting to meet certain requirements. I've never had a good grasp on my timeline and what I needed to complete to graduate. It flip-flopped several times while I was a student.

There were parts during transferring that were easy, but then there were parts that required really intense follow-up. It made it kind of annoying and cumbersome to make sure that everything got done and I had all my ducks in a row. So there was a lot of focus on the administrative functions to make sure that they got done. I was always an 11-year college student so I've had other bad experiences with universities in regards to that stuff. I work in the financial industry and I know the flow and process.

Lucky for me, I had a good foundation to make sure things get done just from my work experience. But as a student that didn't have that prior exposure, I can imagine they can let things go unnoticed for some time, and then turn around and kinda be screwed on having to take more classes or not having stuff the way it should be. They would be losing resources or time on unchecked errors. I had some frustrations with Ashford but I didn't have high expectations to begin with. So I kinda was able to navigate it.

From an academic standpoint, the classroom was all fine. It was a good experience too. There were some classes where I felt that the coursework was little redundant and could be steered a little bit differently. But those are very niche complaints. All the professors were knowledgeable. I took scientific writing and it wasn't until the third or fourth week that I even knew what the class was really about. It kinda felt like it was aimless at some points. For it to be such a technical class and then having it online, there were certain aspects of the class that it was almost like watching a movie and starting in the middle and then there were three different plots to the movie. The flow was disorganized. It's almost like a class that you really just need to have introduced in person. I made straight A's and it was the only class that I got a B in. But the instructor knew the content and the coursework. They were knowledgeable.

If you can get going and get started in the classroom, and if you can just focus on being a student, I recommend Ashford. I went to three different advisors. I kept getting the switch but they were all super sweet. They all treated me very well. I'm not an online person, so I'm very much in person lecture. I have very short attention span and low discipline. But the online structure caused me to research things and take ownership of my education, which made me a little bit more educational fruit in the process. So, as a student, they did a great job, but there are definitely opportunities for growth and guidance on the administrative side.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I liked that Ashford was accredited, the initial evaluation, and the level of support that the program itself had. Enrolling was fairly simple. I graduated in high school in ’88, so I hadn’t taken a class in 28 years. I had been out of the classroom for that period of time. It was difficult for me to acclimate, but I thought that the way Ashford had the classes set up was to get you acclimated. So, from the first couple of classes, everything was writing so it got you acclimated to writing and to using the libraries. The first few classes got you using all of the things that were available. I was a better student my last year than I was my freshman year.

My learning experience was great. There are limitations because you’re doing everything online. So, it’s a different type of learning experience. It could be challenging. Some people learn better in the classroom. You have to make that adjustment. For example, I had to take two math classes. I struggled with those, and I had to use the online tutors. But Ashford had online tutors. So, it was challenging, but I made it through. Ashford really did have everything in place. So, it made it easier, and you have to put time in. I struggled the times that I didn’t. I’m balancing my full time job, and then I'm a full time husband, full time parent, and then sometimes, I left school for last.

Ashford's professors were really good. Some were more challenging than others. I found that, for the most part, the professors that had PhDs or were doctors were even more demanding. You could get a 4.0 on your discussion. The professors that had PhDs and doctorates might give you a 3.8. They were much more aggressive with their scoring. They expected more. It depended on the class though.

The biggest thing is not knowing what to expect. Coming back to a classroom after almost 30 years, I thought that Ashford really had all the support things in place to get you acclimated to the classroom again, and did have all the different support mechanisms in place to be successful. Now, you have to use the different tutors. I got kids in college and some of those things aren’t available to them at that level, but Ashford has every single thing in place, from the libraries to the online tutors. If you work the program kinda thing, there’s no reason why you would fail.

You have to put your time in there and in your papers because everything is writing. So, each week, I built upon the following week. If I kept my grade high enough, at the end, I knew how hard I had to work to maintain my grade. I finished with a 3.6. Overall, it was a great learning experience for a returning student. Ashford is set up for any type of student, but for a working professional that wants to get a degree at the same time, it was kinda set up perfectly for that.

University of Arizona Global Campus response

Thanks for sharing your detailed experience with the community, Orlando. Your hard work and dedication did not go unnoticed, and we look forward to your bright future. Please keep in touch on all that you achieve!

Original review: May 30, 2020

I liked Ashford's scheduling. Their pricing is confusing though. I can't get a breakdown of how they're charging each class per semester. When they show you a breakdown, it's just the class fee and materials fee. When I look at my FAFSA stuff, it's showing housing and transportation fees and all of those other stuff that they're turning into FAFSA but it's not showing up on my side on the details. Last year they charged like $8,000 in housing when I turned in my FAFSA, but that doesn't show up on any of their detailed report. I asked, "So, why am I paying for housing if I'm not staying there, it's an online class?" But I couldn't get a straight answer. I've tried to call several people and they were just like, "Well, just go on the document, and it'll show you."

The learning was great. I struggled a lot on the last class that I did because there were 200 pages per week to read plus all those extra, the discussions and the assignments. But I was able to do it. It just took up every bit of my time. I was freaking out at the end and stressing badly. The course material was great though. It was very detailed.

I kinda had an issue with the accounting classes just because accounting is completely opposite of what you would normally do during a day with your own finances. It doesn't really show both sides of the situation. So, when you have your liabilities and revenue, it only shows one side of the material. It doesn't show that you're supposed to cross-reference that with the other side to balance. It was a little hard to follow. It's all opposite. Everything they do is completely opposite of what we think they would do. I went to one of my accountants and said, "Please explain this to me. I don't get it." After he explained it to me, I was able to get through it and do it.

One other big thing I had an issue with is I had an instructor that would not give me feedback and would not explain why he was giving me the grades he gave me. I eventually dropped the class. That was the only class I dropped to this whole degree because I just couldn't get any answers. I also felt that his grading was generic. I reached out to my advisor and didn't really get any good answers.

University of Arizona Global Campus response

Hi Nicholas. Thanks for reaching out. In regard to housing and transportation fees, those are items that we must list but they will not show on your actual student ledger card. You can find a breakdown of your finances by payment period, or academic year, but logging into your portal, clicking on My Finances, and then Student Ledger Card. The Student Account Info option can be confusing, so we recommend you look at the Student Ledger Card. We'd be happy to have an advisor reach out to review your ledger card. If you would, please email social@ashford.edu with your phone number and information. We can also review other matters such as professor feedback, etc. Thanks!

Original review: May 10, 2020

I work for Cox Automotive, and at the time I heard about Ashford, I was at a leadership conference in 2018 in Las Vegas. A colleague of mine who also graduated from Ashford, mentioned she had some homework to go do. I’m said, “What are you talking about, homework? We’re in Las Vegas.” She was working on her master’s degree and she mentioned Ashford University. She said, “You should look into it because Cox paid for it.” So, when I got back from that trip, I went into our Cox Automotive website, pulled the information for Ashford, and got in touch. I enrolled because I needed two years left to finish my degree. And as long as I chose Ashford and maintained a C average or above, Cox Automotive paid for everything out of pocket first so I didn't have to pay first and then get reimbursed. They paid all of it upfront. So, it was an incredible benefit to take advantage of.

Unfortunately, they’ve suspended the program through the COVID. I was enrolled in the master’s program, so that’s been suspended until next year. But the instructors that I worked with were great. The students were great. The course material was really good. There were times that I was challenged to the point where I just wanted to quit because I felt like I couldn't get through the classes. I would reach out to other students or the instructors for help, and the feedback and the assistance I got were amazing.

My last class was like statistics on steroids and I was like, “Oh my gosh. I have no idea how to do any of this.” I was emailing with a guy named Brian. He was not even my adviser, but I was emailing with him about the master’s program and I started talking to him about this class that I was in. I said, “I think I have to drop. I can’t do this. This class is too hard.” He actually helped me stick with it and stay in that last class to finish and graduate. He didn't even have to help me. He wasn’t my adviser, but he gave me some resources to look for, some YouTube videos to look at, and it was amazing.

The enrollment process was really easy. The most difficult I had was just getting my manager to sign off on the document that they needed. But as far as registering for classes and getting the tuition set up, it was a breeze. I didn't struggle with it at all. There was one instructor early on that wouldn’t respond back to emails, but it was one experience with one instructor and it wasn’t a super difficult class. Every other instructor that I had the two years I was there were amazing. Ricky was my last instructor for my last class. He was a very good and very knowledgeable instructor.

It was a really great program. It was a great experience. I liked that the classes were five weeks and then you could go to the next one, so you didn't feel like, “Oh my God. I’m gonna be in school until I’m dead.” You knew there was an end date. It was only five weeks to get through the class versus a traditional 16-week class where you’re just like, “This is stupid. I’m out.” Knowing that, “Okay, I’ve only got two weeks left in this class. I can do this,” really was motivational because you knew you’re gonna get through it and then that next class is gonna start and it’s gonna go fast. I had talked to a couple other colleagues that enrolled in the program. Unfortunately, their classes were suspended. But a couple of my coworkers had enrolled simply because of me talking to them, telling them to take advantage of this program.

University of Arizona Global Campus response

This has us smiling from ear to ear, Nicole. Thank you for sharing your educational journey with the community. We're honored to have you as part of the family and look forward to your bright future. Please keep in touch on all that you achieve!

Original review: April 3, 2021

Enrolling at University of Arizona Global Campus went smoothly. I liked that I can learn online if I have anywhere to be in person. But, I've had issues mostly with the advisors. The first one was rude and sent me on a wild goose chase on my own to find a book that they were supposed to preload in the class for me. He gave me five different numbers to call. When I told him that I called all those numbers, he told me there was nothing he can do about it. So, both times, I had to get my advisor changed to the same person.

I also had a problem with the enrollment advisor. The second time I went back, she neglected to enroll me in courses that I needed to graduate. So, I thought I graduated last July when in actuality, she didn't load me into the capstone courses. I didn't know about those courses because University of Arizona doesn't give out books. That was a big issue that had to be taken care of on the university's side. She was really great to talk to but on top of that great customer service, she still had a responsibility to do. She enrolled me in the courses that I needed to acquire and I relied on her to get it right.

I didn't get my degree in the mail by September so I had to call and that's how they found the error. It would have never been caught if I didn't call. The guy on the phone that checked with the office was awesome and he got back to me right away. When he found the error, he told me abut it. I asked what my next step was and how I was supposed to come back when I didn't even know who to call to get back into the school so I could finish the capstone courses. He told me that when I have an issue, there's a form that I can submit. I submitted that but a week and a half after, no one was getting back to me so I sent an email to the owner of the university.

I got a response and after that point, my rep Josh straightened things out and I got the courses. What I take issue with is the response time and the level of professionalism at the university. This is why I won't ever suggest any of my friends to go to University of Arizona Global Campus. They'll be paying out-of-pocket and I don't want them to spend their money on something where their issues don't get resolved right away unless they take initiative to make it work. This is not an experience that is worth paying for.

University of Arizona Global Campus response

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, Kandise. Your experience is our top priority, and we will look into your specific file and send the matter to our leadership team for review. Should your name be different on your student file than what's here, please email social@uagc.edu with your student ID. If there are any outstanding issues or concerns that you have, please feel free to contact us with that information. We're honored to have you as part of the UAGC family and hope you'll keep in touch. We love to hear from our accomplished alumni!

Original review: March 31, 2021

I was in the military and wasn't able to be at home all the time to do campus school. I was referred to Ashford and the online portion of it enticed me. I was able to do the program while I was still deployed. The enrollment process was also easy. They set me up and at the beginning, they took all my credits so it knocked away a bunch of classes that I didn't need. When I first started, the class structure was good but after Canvas was implemented, it was a little bit difficult. Everybody was going through it at the same time and there were some instructor hiccups and student hiccups. But overall, once I've learned everything, it was pretty good and don't remember going through anything that caught me off guard. Everything was simple and I was told everything upfront.

Original review: March 30, 2021

University of Arizona was very flexible so it was something that I could do without needing to go to a traditional setting, which was great. It had a very user-friendly website interface. I always felt like I had the support I needed and the teachers were easy enough to get ahold of. There were a few great teachers who went the extra mile and gave you audio or video of them reviewing your stuff. All in all, it was a positive and smooth experience.

Original review: March 29, 2021

I gave Ashford University a call to see how their classes were. What got me was that everything was at my own pace and I could do one class at a time, especially because I had just found out that I was pregnant with my first daughter. I had someone that helped me with enrollment. He walked me through everything and he showed me how to get my FAFSA applied. He explained to me the discounts I could have with the whole military thing and what documents I needed. Everything was really easy.

The classes were great. It was great to be able to do them one at a time and have that time where I can be paced and not have to worry constantly about a bunch of essays or tests at the same time. It was all pretty spread out. Also, the professors were awesome. When it came to asking them questions, there were instant responses, which I really enjoyed, because not being in person can sometimes be a little nerve-racking when you need something. As far as the assignments go, everything was laid out very well. If I had to turn in an assignment late because of something happening, they were very understanding as well. The university puts everything out as it is. They give all the information that they require and the information that the student is gonna require.

Original review: March 27, 2021

The enrollment process was fast and their staff was pretty good. I learned a lot.

The University of Arizona Global Campus Company Information

University of Arizona Global Campus
    1918
    Formerly Named:
    Ashford University
    8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
    San Diego