2. Education
  3. Online Colleges
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.44/5

Ashford University offers online degrees at the Associate, Bachelor’s and Master’s level. Read Ashford University Accounting reviews and Ashford University MBA reviews to learn more about their Accounting and MBA degree programs. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own.

Ashford University Video
View More View More

Ashford University Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: June 10, 2020

I liked that Ashford was accredited, the initial evaluation, and the level of support that the program itself had. Enrolling was fairly simple. I graduated in high school in ’88, so I hadn’t taken a class in 28 years. I had been out of the classroom for that period of time. It was difficult for me to acclimate, but I thought that the way Ashford had the classes set up was to get you acclimated. So, from the first couple of classes, everything was writing so it got you acclimated to writing and to using the libraries. The first few classes got you using all of the things that were available. I was a better student my last year than I was my freshman year.

My learning experience was great. There are limitations because you’re doing everything online. So, it’s a different type of learning experience. It could be challenging. Some people learn better in the classroom. You have to make that adjustment. For example, I had to take two math classes. I struggled with those, and I had to use the online tutors. But Ashford had online tutors. So, it was challenging, but I made it through. Ashford really did have everything in place. So, it made it easier, and you have to put time in. I struggled the times that I didn’t. I’m balancing my full time job, and then I'm a full time husband, full time parent, and then sometimes, I left school for last.

Ashford's professors were really good. Some were more challenging than others. I found that, for the most part, the professors that had PhDs or were doctors were even more demanding. You could get a 4.0 on your discussion. The professors that had PhDs and doctorates might give you a 3.8. They were much more aggressive with their scoring. They expected more. It depended on the class though.

The biggest thing is not knowing what to expect. Coming back to a classroom after almost 30 years, I thought that Ashford really had all the support things in place to get you acclimated to the classroom again, and did have all the different support mechanisms in place to be successful. Now, you have to use the different tutors. I got kids in college and some of those things aren’t available to them at that level, but Ashford has every single thing in place, from the libraries to the online tutors. If you work the program kinda thing, there’s no reason why you would fail.

You have to put your time in there and in your papers because everything is writing. So, each week, I built upon the following week. If I kept my grade high enough, at the end, I knew how hard I had to work to maintain my grade. I finished with a 3.6. Overall, it was a great learning experience for a returning student. Ashford is set up for any type of student, but for a working professional that wants to get a degree at the same time, it was kinda set up perfectly for that.

Ashford University response

Thanks for sharing your detailed experience with the community, Orlando. Your hard work and dedication did not go unnoticed, and we look forward to your bright future. Please keep in touch on all that you achieve!

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I work for Cox Automotive, and at the time I heard about Ashford, I was at a leadership conference in 2018 in Las Vegas. A colleague of mine who also graduated from Ashford, mentioned she had some homework to go do. I’m said, “What are you talking about, homework? We’re in Las Vegas.” She was working on her master’s degree and she mentioned Ashford University. She said, “You should look into it because Cox paid for it.” So, when I got back from that trip, I went into our Cox Automotive website, pulled the information for Ashford, and got in touch. I enrolled because I needed two years left to finish my degree. And as long as I chose Ashford and maintained a C average or above, Cox Automotive paid for everything out of pocket first so I didn't have to pay first and then get reimbursed. They paid all of it upfront. So, it was an incredible benefit to take advantage of.

Unfortunately, they’ve suspended the program through the COVID. I was enrolled in the master’s program, so that’s been suspended until next year. But the instructors that I worked with were great. The students were great. The course material was really good. There were times that I was challenged to the point where I just wanted to quit because I felt like I couldn't get through the classes. I would reach out to other students or the instructors for help, and the feedback and the assistance I got were amazing.

My last class was like statistics on steroids and I was like, “Oh my gosh. I have no idea how to do any of this.” I was emailing with a guy named Brian. He was not even my adviser, but I was emailing with him about the master’s program and I started talking to him about this class that I was in. I said, “I think I have to drop. I can’t do this. This class is too hard.” He actually helped me stick with it and stay in that last class to finish and graduate. He didn't even have to help me. He wasn’t my adviser, but he gave me some resources to look for, some YouTube videos to look at, and it was amazing.

The enrollment process was really easy. The most difficult I had was just getting my manager to sign off on the document that they needed. But as far as registering for classes and getting the tuition set up, it was a breeze. I didn't struggle with it at all. There was one instructor early on that wouldn’t respond back to emails, but it was one experience with one instructor and it wasn’t a super difficult class. Every other instructor that I had the two years I was there were amazing. Ricky was my last instructor for my last class. He was a very good and very knowledgeable instructor.

It was a really great program. It was a great experience. I liked that the classes were five weeks and then you could go to the next one, so you didn't feel like, “Oh my God. I’m gonna be in school until I’m dead.” You knew there was an end date. It was only five weeks to get through the class versus a traditional 16-week class where you’re just like, “This is stupid. I’m out.” Knowing that, “Okay, I’ve only got two weeks left in this class. I can do this,” really was motivational because you knew you’re gonna get through it and then that next class is gonna start and it’s gonna go fast. I had talked to a couple other colleagues that enrolled in the program. Unfortunately, their classes were suspended. But a couple of my coworkers had enrolled simply because of me talking to them, telling them to take advantage of this program.

Ashford University response

This has us smiling from ear to ear, Nicole. Thank you for sharing your educational journey with the community. We're honored to have you as part of the family and look forward to your bright future. Please keep in touch on all that you achieve!

Original review: April 10, 2020

I was a University of the Rockies transfer student. Ashford was the parent company that bought up the University of the Rockies so my program got shifted over to them. At that point, it was very late in my academic career. My advisers were chosen under the University of the Rockies. I don’t know exactly when the official transfer went over but it was when I was doing maybe my thesis writing. The dissertation was pretty much all done under Ashford University officially but I didn't really notice any change because I had already set up my committee at that time.

As far as the classes went, I felt that it was quick-paced but good. You kinda know where everything stood. What made a greater challenge was kind of once the structure of the classes ended, going into the dissertation courses was a little less structured. It created a little bit more of a frustration because it was just trying to determine who I should talk to and where do I go for this.

I have an adviser and getting that established was also a challenge only because of the transfer. But I was happy with my adviser. He kept a lot of contact which was wonderful. But it was just who do I contact with a question for something. There was some confusion about that and the general process. I wish that was a little bit more structured like the class was.

Otherwise, all my experiences with the professors were very good and they were always willing to help. As I got into the later stages, they were pretty quick on returning everything. In the early stages in Rockies, I had one where I had a lack of response from one. But that was clarified through the adviser. They’ve got information on that. That was the only one that was a little annoying. But the rest went pretty well.

The pressure’s always been to help the structures of the school. There should be just a little more clarification on what's due and when just to speed that process along. I got kind of hung up on a couple of university policy things. That was part of the transition as well. Every time I would call up, they couldn't find me and I would have to tell them that I was a Rockies student and I was under some other system.

The whole reason why I really chose the program was that it was the official PhD in Education which is actually more difficult to find than I realized. A lot of them are the EdDs. I like the research end like conducting the actual research and producing the paper that was original. And it being a PhD program allowed me to focus more on the research of my own than go through and kind of copy something else or read other researchers. Not that I didn't do that, but having that freedom to be able to choose my own project, conduct my own research, and publish work was what I was really looking for. Ashford/University of the Rockies was one of the few PhD programs in education that I could find online.

Original review: April 3, 2020

In our company, Ashford is one of the schools that normally go here for education fair. I went with them because of the course. They offered a master’s setting we did, and I wanted something that was international. The enrollment, however, was horrible. I wanted to cancel the process because the first enrollment advisor with it did not give me the complete information that I needed because I graduated from a foreign school. And so, like at the very onset, I already knew I had different requirements. And I asked what I needed. On the same day that I was supposed to start my classes, he said, “You can't go into your class because you're missing this documentation.” But, he did not tell me that. I had to make arrangements. I graduated 30 years ago from college, and they were wanting all the certifications about language. If they have told me that two weeks ago, I would have met it.

So, I backed out already, but I had an officemate who said, “Let me get you another advisor who can work with you to make this work better.” And I worked with that advisor and I had to get those documentations that they requested. So, it was like me asking someone else from a different country, like, “Can you go to this school, make sure that they give you this certain certification. Send me an email of it and mail it to me and so on and so forth.” It was a very tedious process. That advisor was good, and I recommended him to another one.

With the scheduling of the assignments on a masteral program, at first, it was like, “Why can I not have two courses? This is too easy.” But with so many paperwork and having two or three assignments in a week, it has been gruesome. At one time, on one week, you had to read 200 pages. For a full-time working person like me, it had been hard to balance that one. And if I didn’t follow through my schedules and my desire to finish it, I would have not finished it because my goal was that I wanted to finish it in 17 months. But we had winter breaks and one time there was no professor, so it got extended to 19 months. Still, I have learned a lot.

What I liked amongst every course that I had to take was the MBA Capstone because it was a good stimulation of how real business works, and it was crazy. It was challenging too. The only thing about that was because I was using hotspot, I got interrupted with my connection with one transaction that I was doing, so I lost that transaction and lost 75 grand on that one. That would have been the income of the company that I was working for.

So, it mattered a lot because that Capstone had specific goals, by which you have a committed profit for the company. So, I had a goal, and not meeting that meant that, as a manager, you were not meeting your commitments to your company. I still met my goal, but it was short because of that transaction that I had to haggle with because of connections disappearing. So, it was like a back and forth help desk thing and that they had to reset my connections so that I could gain because that involved a roleplay and if you missed that roleplay, then you were not going to be able to go through the roleplay again, and that roleplay meant inputs needed for your company to survive a certain transaction.

Ashford University response

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community, Myrna Keep up the great work and please stay in touch.

Original review: March 6, 2020

I was watching TV and an ad came up. I was getting ready to change over to a part-time job and I told my husband that maybe I should try going to school online. He said that might be something I could do with a part-time job. So, I started researching and I liked Ashford. The enrollment was easy. I called them and started talking to individuals because I didn't know where to go or if my GPA in high school mattered. I didn't have that great of a GPA in high school so I was worried about that affecting it and they assured me that it did not. Before I knew it, I was enrolled in Ashford. I had really great professors and instructors. There was only one that I felt like wasn't that great of an instructor and I mentioned it to my student adviser at the time. I made a C in that class and I couldn't figure out why because I was putting in a lot of effort. My effort has never waned or faltered during the entire time.

I took it on the chin and I told my student adviser that I didn't even care. I'm out of that class and it didn't affect my GPA. I'm ready to move on. I just think that he's not that great of an instructor. During that time, there was an email that went out between some of students and they were saying that they tried so hard and did everything he told them. They put their references down and they didn’t know what else they could do. I didn't either because I was in the same boat they were. We were trying and we were not getting anywhere. The student adviser said I was not the first one that said anything about that specific professor or instructor. But the rest of the professors were great. One out of four years was not that bad at all.

The learning experience was beneficial and it has helped me a lot now where I work as well as outside of work. It made me more responsible because you don't have a teacher or anybody standing over your shoulder. You have to get the work done on your own and it helped me grow as a person. I started in 2016 in January and I was done January of 2020. I lost my dad last year on August 12th and it was hard coming back because him and I, were my big support system. So when he was gone, it took a little bit to get back into the groove. My instructor was great about it. I lost my father on Thursday and on Monday, I turned in my final assignment. My instructor was surprised I didn't take two weeks off. She was gonna suggest putting in a leave of absence. I was trying to get everything rounded up for his funeral and trying to get my feet back underneath me was a big part of it.

If there were more schools and colleges that worked as well as Ashford did with me, there would be a lot more people that would attend school. People need to know there is a school like Ashford out there that will hold you accountable. It's not bad. When my computer broke, I sent one of my instructors a message and I said I was trying and she told me to do the work when I could. I found that as long as I was respectful towards them and I tried to be as respectful as possible, they would always reciprocate it back to me. They understood where I was coming from and I was doing the best I could. They got me and it was no big deal. That was great for me because I had switched jobs and even then, the instructors congratulated me on the new job. They told me to let them know if I needed anything. They would do what they could to help me.

It was a very good experience and I would recommend Ashford to others. When I left high school, I had a 2.8 GP and when I graduated Ashford, I graduated with a 3.6. I owe a lot of that to the instructors because they were always there when I needed something and if it wasn't the instructors, it was my academic adviser or I always had somebody that I could reach out to and talk to.

Ashford University response

This has us smiling from ear to ear, Becky. What makes you, makes us, and we couldn't be more proud to have you as part of the Ashford family. Your hard work and dedication certainly did not go unnoticed, and we hope that your success helps to inspire others to reach for their dreams regardless of what life throws at you. Keep up the great work, and please stay in touch as you move forward. We know your father is so proud and would love to see your accomplishments highlighted!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

Original review: June 12, 2020

I was an active duty military and I know Ashford University gives grant for military students. I did my bachelor’s and my master’s with them. Everyone was helpful if I needed anything if I reached out to them. It was easy to enroll and to make contact with the school since it was online. The only thing was some of the professors weren’t on the same page as far as guidelines set by Ashford. So in that sense, it was frustrating going from one teacher who went by what the school decided to do and going by another teacher who made up their own world.

Ashford University response

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community, Shaunte! We're honored to have you as part of the Ashford family, and thank you for your service, too. Keep in touch on all that you accomplish and if you'd like for us to look into a certain experience that you had with a professor, please email social@ashford.edu and we'll be available to assist.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I liked Ashford's five-week courses. The enrollment was easy and I kinda felt like I was there even though I was not there. They made it very easy to get enrolled. The communication was very clear and it was easy to get in contact with people and people to get in contact with me. It was a good process. The learning experiences were challenging because of the five-week courses but at the same time, it wasn't hard to get done because you have a weekend to get the work done to turn it back in on that Monday or Sunday.

When I got into my core classes, the professors are really good and relatable. I wanna go back to Ashford for my masters. I loved everything. I would definitely tell others about how the courses work week-to-week. If they are military, I'll tell them about how they can use TA in faster. I would also tell them about how you don't have to purchase books because everything’s given online, and that they work with you well. If you are military or essential worker, they work with you well within late work. Overall, my experience was challenging but it was fun.

Ashford University response

You are the reason that we do what we do, Destinee! Thank you for sharing your experience with the community, and for working so hard over the past few years. We're honored to have you as part of the Ashford family and look forward to your bright future. Please keep in touch!

Original review: June 9, 2020

I was just doing an internet search and found Ashford. The online classes were the primary thing that appealed to me and when I talked to them, they said that the way they do it, they do one class at a time because they do accelerated. So, it’s six weeks versus three months, which was cool. You had to deliberately set up your classes though to have breaks in between because you do six weeks of one class and immediately start the next class. So, that was kinda hard, but it was good.

I was happy with everybody and there was an adviser that they assign to you if you had issues or questions. She was accessible and I didn’t have to wait days for her to call me back. If I didn’t get her immediately, she would call me back within a day. If you have a question or a problem, it’s because you need help then, rather than 48 hours later. So, she was always there. It’s a great online college for people that work full-time and have a busy life. They have it very streamlined and it’s very clear when your assignments are due, so you can plan your time. With people that has a family, you need to be able to do that.

Ashford University response

Thanks for sharing your insight with the community, Kathy. We're honored to have you as part of the Ashford family, and look forward to your bright future. Please keep in touch!

Original review: June 8, 2020

One of my colleagues took the Ashford classes and graduated from her bachelor’s degree. So, she recommended me to take the classes from Ashford. The enrollment process was super easy. I contacted one of the people who were helping then she let me and guided me through the steps. The professors were so knowledgeable and helpful. They helped me a lot to enhance my knowledge. Whatever I experienced was amazing. I really appreciate the facility and service that they provide to students to graduate. I was working full-time and I was a full-time student so it wasn’t easy. If one takes effort, it’s gonna happen.

Ashford University response

Your effort and dedication did not go unnoticed, Arlet. Thank you for sharing your experience with the community, and please keep in touch on all that you achieve. We love to hear from our Alumni!

Original review: June 7, 2020

I liked Ashford's five-week courses. I met my student adviser, they walked me through the application portions, and then once I got on there, I was assigned another student adviser to help me out with classes and getting my classes enrolled. Learning through Ashford was challenging. It got way more challenging towards the end but it was good. I liked the courses. The professors were knowledgeable. All my instructors were pretty much helpful. I did the harder classes that had those video tutorials on how to solve the formulas and stuff that would help out a lot more. The help I got was pretty good. It was pretty consistent.

My experience with Ashford was exciting. I didn’t know which college I’d be going to and what my degree I would be choosing for. So, meeting different people and having a lot of other friends that went to Ashford kinda kept me going through that one. And throughout my process there, I’ve also recruited a lot of people to come to Ashford, and they all have enjoyed it. Not one person hasn’t liked it. It was a good experience.

Ashford University response

We're so proud that you took advantage of alternate resources and guidance, Gino. A little support can make all the difference. Please keep up the great work, and stay in touch on all that you achieve!

Ashford University author review by ConsumerAffairs

Ashford University has a mission to provide accessible and affordable education. The university offers more than 80 degree programs, including numerous business degrees offered through the Forbes School of Business and Technology, a partnership between Ashford University and Forbes. Other degree programs include accounting, finance, communications, criminal justice, education, health care, information technology, social and behavioral science, liberal arts and political science.

• Regionally accredited: Ashford University earned accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, one of the six regional accrediting organizations, in 2013. Ashford University’s business program has additional accreditation through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education.

• Online and on-campus: Ashford University has a long-established campus in Clinton, Iowa, and a virtual campus that’s available to students worldwide.

• Transparent tuition: The university posts tuition and fees on its website so there are no surprises after admission.

• Internal scholarships available: Ashford University offers several scholarships to students who qualify.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ashford University Company Information

1918
    8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
    San Diego