2. Education
  3. Online Colleges
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.51/5

Ashford University offers online degrees at the Associate, Bachelor’s and Master’s level. Read Ashford University Accounting reviews and Ashford University MBA reviews to learn more about their Accounting and MBA degree programs. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own.

Ashford University Video
View More View More

Ashford University Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I really enjoyed going with Ashford. It was easy to sign up. Once I get into the classes, it was easy to use. The classes were challenging. But overall, it was a really good experience. It was the first online school that I ever attended. So, it was a new experience for me, and I thought that it was well put together. The only thing is that I had one class where they kinda changed the format of the class and how the structure of the class was laid out. And even though I still did well in the class, it wasn't as easy for me to follow the new model as it was with all the other classes that I took. And that's just due to me working full time. I have three children, too.

It was like a new format that they were trying out where the way they had it set up was that instead of you having the bulk of your assignments due on Monday and Thursday, in that particular class, you had stuff to do every day of the week. And that made it a lot more difficult for me especially with traveling for work, but I still got an A in the class. It was just it was different, and it wasn't as good as they have the other format set up for the classes. Considering I was going to school full time, the flexibility for my schedule worked pretty well. I stayed up a lot really late at night to get assignments done, and I didn't have a weekend for about two years or a vacation because I was doing homework when I was on vacation, but I don't know how much more flexible they can make it. I like Ashford. I have already referred about eight people to start going to school through my work.

Ashford University response

You're a super dad, Justin! We're proud of you for sticking through the late nights and early mornings to reach your goals. You've set a great example for your three children, and know they're so proud of you, too. Congrats!

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I have a friend in the navy and I went and visited them. He said that he was in school at Ashford and I asked him what he was doing. He told me about it and said it was recommended by one of his uppers. I had always anticipated on getting a bachelor's degree and I did the community college route when I had graduated high school. I had already pretty much completed my associate when I got married and then moved across the country with my military husband. Basically, most colleges don't really wanna accept military unless you know for a fact that you're gonna be there 'til the completion. But that's not an option for me as I can’t do that.

Enrollment at Ashford was painless. I had some trouble navigating all the online stuff, 'cause I do a lot better in person and I don't have access to a fax machine. That was a little bit of a learning curve for me. I had a few screwups but it was very quick. It's definitely a good thing that I knew what I wanted to do. So when I had issues, I usually would call my advisor and be like, "Hey, I'm really not sure who I need to talk to." They would help me figure out where I needed to go and what exactly it was that I needed. Everybody was always really helpful when I called in.

I really enjoyed learning in Ashford and I like the fact that it was so fast-paced. For some days, it was a little bit more difficult 'cause I have a family. But I like being able to figure it out and learn things. I've always been one that gets really bored if I had to sit and do the same thing over and over again. That's why the traditional college route wasn't my favorite experience. So, I tell everybody about Ashford and say, "Yeah, that's where I went, what I like to do, I enjoyed it." It was a pleasant experience overall. There were a couple of mishaps and things that I would have done differently, but once I discovered them, everybody helped me fix those issues.

Ashford University response

We're honored to have you as part of the Ashford family and thank you for your service, Leslee. Please keep in touch as you move forward in your journey. We love to hear from our students and alumni!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

My mom attended Ashford. I wanted to do the same degree that she did, and I love early childhood. I love working with kids since I was like seven. And so, I would often read the books that she had. I would read her papers, partly to look for grammar for her papers because I was in high school by the time she started. She let me kinda watch what she was doing. She told me, "I have discussions due here. I have papers due here." I really liked the way that it was all set up and the discussions once a week on this day and papers this day. I got really good feedback from her. And I know she got good feedback from her professors on all her papers because I was always interested in what she got. She let me read the feedback, and I know it was really helpful for her and that's what I wanted. I wanted professors that would give feedback that would help in what I needed, and be able to contact them.

It was the year after I graduated when I decided to go back to get my degree, and I knew immediately I wanted to go to Ashford. I loved my learning experience through them. In my second year, I was diagnosed with chronic migraine and Ashford didn't waste any time getting me accommodation. So a lot of my materials were print, and that made it a lot easier to learn. They were very accommodating with that. But even before then, we were provided with about 7 to 10 resources in addition to the book that all the professors provided.

The Ashford library had so many resources. I was never without resources for papers, and I gained a lot of information in all of my classes. Some are like classes that don't even really pertain to my degree right now because I teach three year-olds. I don't really need American government to teach three year-olds, but I still learned a lot from that class, and I'm glad I did. I have one friend that I worked with, and she said she has to redo her CDA. She works full-time and I told her about Ashford. I told her their classes are five weeks classes. I also told her I was working full-time and I was able to complete my bachelor's degree with no trouble. And she aid she's gonna have to look into it.

Ashford University response

Your mom must be so proud, Katiesue! We're so happy that she set a great example for you and we hope that you'll pass that onto your friends and family as well. Please keep in touch on all that you achieve!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I did college at a local university and online. It was a 16-week course which was so long and drawn out and I only got four credits for it. So, I started doing some more research and I stumbled across Ashford. The five-week courses kind of enticed me. I just went to the website and I got a link later on from somebody that was trying to help me with it, and they told me what to fill out. A few pages later, I hit submit and it showed that I was approved. I learned quite a bit, which was unrealistic for five weeks but I retained a lot more than I thought that I would. When classes are so drawn out, you would start to forget some of the earlier stuff that you learned. It went well with what I’m trying to do. My job is structured like a business, so business administration has helped me a lot with everything.

The professors were great and most of them were very willing to work with me on different life situations that happened over the years. At one point, I had eye surgery and I couldn’t really see but I didn’t wanna stop school but even Ashford stepped in and helped me to get the professors to understand as well. So, it was good. If you’re scared starting off, just read through the course work ahead and you’ll realize that all the classes are structured the same way every week, so it gets easier. The classrooms are unlocked and it makes it conductive to being able to work ahead. It's always an option and has relieved a lot of my own stress when I was doing the classes. It was just trying to make sure that I work ahead so I didn’t fall behind.

Ashford University response

We're honored to have you as part of the Ashford family, Ashley. Keep up the incredible work, and please stay in touch as you move forward!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

One of my coworkers was going through Ashford University years ago and he turned me on to it. The condensed courses appealed to me so I was able to do it. Being an active duty military and being able to do that, it worked out well. But if you weren't watching your financial aid, it would get messed up quite frequently. I was getting a $750 stipend after every class and I had to monitor my financial aid very closely because there were always errors being done.

The actual writing of the papers was easy for me because I’m good at doing that but someone who struggled with writing might have an issue with it because it was heavy on papers. The instructors worked with me a lot because there were a lot of times when I was deployed. Some were more lenient than others on when I would be able to turn in an assignment late. I had one who was relaxed and there were times I had an instructor that was hardcore and by-the-book, grading-wise. They were consistent though. As long as I showed up and actually did the work, I seemed to get As and 90% of the class didn't.

It got me in trouble a couple times when I didn't read some of the professors’ announcements but as long as you're reading the syllabus and reading all the announcement they put out, then it’s easy. Some of them would change the way they grade though. They have their own little quirks about how they want things done and if you just get in the habit of stewing the same thing for each class, you could get in trouble and it can bite you. But other than that, it was a good experience.

Ashford University response

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community, Dean. We're constantly striving to improve the student experience, especially our financial aid and payment processes. Please keep in touch as you move forward with all that you achieve. We're honored to have a service member and student like you as part of the Ashford family!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

The qualifications to start the program led me to choose Ashford University. Their enrollment process was easy and the professors were above average. Online courses are really interesting. There's always so much you can do. I had a long journey with them as I took my time with it. I didn't enjoy it very much, but the experience was as good as it could possibly get for being an online environment.

Ashford University response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Nicholas. We're happy to have you as part of the Ashford family and look forward to your bright future. Please stay in touch!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I first heard about Ashford in 2008 when I was shopping online for an online higher education program. They were one of three that I had researched. And then, I had a very long conversation with one of their student advisors. That convinced me that Ashford would be a good niche for me. The enrollment was seamless, and getting into the program and into the routine of it was a good fit for me. I got my B.A., my M.A., and my PhD there.

As far as the professors, it was very similar to any brick-and-mortar system. And that you have some fantastic ones, some good ones, and then some that weren’t unqualified, but a lot of that is the teaching style and the fit of the student with the teacher. There’s a better opportunity to have more success with that in online because the personalities aren’t quite so involved as they are in brick-and-mortar universities. But that being said, you’re on your toes about being able to communicate in written form back-and-forth with the instructors. So, that’s a different type of learning there. It’s what you have to do for yourself.

Ashford University response

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community, Nancy. We're thrilled to have you as part of the Ashford family and would love to hear more about your experience. If you would be interested, please email social@ashford.edu and we'll be available to collaborate on a potential alumni feature story!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Everything was great with Ashford, including the tutors and the instructors. But there was one course that even when the instructor made corrections and I told her if she could tell me what it was that I was doing wrong, and she even tried highlighting something, it didn’t make sense to me at all when she changed the grade. I felt she didn’t think that the work was mine. I tried the hardest for her because of how hard she graded, and no matter how hard I did it, it just didn’t please her. But it was just that one instructor.

Ashford University response

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community, Cassandra. We are happy to hear that you had a positive experience overall. In regard to the course and professor you mentioned, we'd be happy to review your file in more detail to provide answers or a solution. If you'd like, please email social@ashford.edu and we'll be happy to assist!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I graduated in 2006 as one of the first graduates with a master's in teaching and learning with technology at Ashford University. I found the institution was everything I was looking for in an online university. Helpful advisers, (thank you, Josh), counselors, knowledgeable financial aid department, caring professors, and a wonderful administration. (Thank you, provost, Dr. Elisabeth **). As for the master's program, I was enrolled, all the courses are tailored for the working adult, and geared towards the newest trend in educational technologies, teaching and learning with technology. After completing the degree I advanced in my career immediately. I am a teacher, and a career advisory. If students ask about advancing their education I tell them about the positive experiences I have had with Ashford University. Matter of fact, one of my former students received her BA at Ashford and now is enrolled in their Master's program.

Ashford University response

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community, Veronika. We're honored to have you as part of the Ashford family and know that you have a bright future ahead of you. Please keep in touch as you move forward!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I didn't know about Ashford at all until they reached to me through a job site that asked if they could send out my information to a few college to further my education. After getting a call from a number that read as "unknown," I met an advisor I really connected with. She seems genuine and interested in me as a person and how to further my education. I already have my Freshman year completed and I've been looking for a cheap but quality way to complete my degree. After sharing the details of the phone call with my parents, my dad encouraged me to look up reviews of the college. A HUGE thank you to the people that have posted here. It seems like if I'm looking for cheap, this is not the place for me. Very glad I checked before going forward.

Ashford University response

Hi Eowyn. We're happy to see that your experience was a positive one. We take our student's experience and success very seriously and encourage you to review some of our student's success stories, here: https://www.ashford.edu/online-learning-experience/student-success-stories. Additionally, we offer an unheard of 90-credit transfer option and a wide variety of non-traditional credit options to help make your degree as affordable as possible. For more information, please visit https://www.ashford.edu/online-admissions/transferring/non-traditional-credit. Please let us know if we can continue our great service and help you to earn your degree in a convenient, online format. We're always here to help!

Ashford University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ashford University has a mission to provide accessible and affordable education. The university offers more than 80 degree programs, including numerous business degrees offered through the Forbes School of Business and Technology, a partnership between Ashford University and Forbes. Other degree programs include accounting, finance, communications, criminal justice, education, health care, information technology, social and behavioral science, liberal arts and political science.

• Regionally accredited: Ashford University earned accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, one of the six regional accrediting organizations, in 2013. Ashford University’s business program has additional accreditation through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education.

• Online and on-campus: Ashford University has a long-established campus in Clinton, Iowa, and a virtual campus that’s available to students worldwide.

• Transparent tuition: The university posts tuition and fees on its website so there are no surprises after admission.

• Internal scholarships available: Ashford University offers several scholarships to students who qualify.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ashford University Company Information

1918
    8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
    San Diego