1.59/5
Based on 332 reviews that contain star ratings

Ashford University

Ashford University offers online degrees at the Associate, Bachelor’s and Master’s level. Read Ashford University Accounting reviews and Ashford University MBA reviews to learn more about their Accounting and MBA degree programs. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

398 Ashford University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

First off I only called to receive information. Next thing I knew I was enrolled in school. It happened so fast I don’t even know how. I do know they are supposed to be going non profit by the end of this year but if this were true then why are costs increasing next year when students were promised this would lower cost. I was told my credits would transfer found out that only one previous class transferred. I am disabled and had extensions for my courses to complete my work although this I did not receive until I had already taken multiple classes and one professor noticed my struggle and explained to me how get help through the Ashford health and wellness center. Well I did this. I get extra time however not all of my instructors honored it or took my accommodations into consideration especially the last week of class.

They were always in a rush to get it done and over with one particular class. The school did not inform the students that the website would be down for maintenance on my due date for a final causing mine to be late. I tried to argue with my failing grade I received. Supposedly they were shifting around people in departments. I went through 3 academic advisors before this was dealt with and when it was I was only granted a “c” for a grade when the whole class I was an “a” student besides this and not completing the week 4 assignment as well due to not having cable for the week 4 assignment. We were required to watch a television show with they said we could stream as well supposedly. Well I found one or two of the shows to choose from online but it cost to watch it and I couldn’t afford.

They should have informed us of possible other fees for that class or told us having cable would be a requirement. After researching this school further (the more problems I had got me curious) I discovered the accreditation for this school was basically purchased with the purchase of a small school in Iowa. Ashford itself is less than 15 years old despite their claim of being around a hundred years old. I actually withdrew from school Monday due to a lack of a computer since mine no longer wants to work. I can no longer go to school online. I would love to return to school someday when I can afford to replace my computer however I have also discovered that my credits from Ashford will not transfer to other actually accredited schools which means that I have wasted the past year of my life there and now have lost a year of funding from financial aid that I cannot get back as well as over $16,000 in debt I have to repay for withdrawing.

And Ashford is claiming I will owe them as well an amount that is yet to be determined. In my opinion this is not a good school to attend to receive an actual education. Either the first few classes they give you are mandatory yet completely pointless and worthless. They are there. I was told to learn basics of life at and within the university as well as they will help you incorporate your education into the real world. This is just a bunch of bull to get you think these course were necessary which they definitely were not. I today have discovered they are being sued but this I only discover through an email that link me to a notification stating our financial information would be retrieved from the party suing the school. I talked to a few others I know that are attending the school and they did not receive the same email. I wonder if I received it since withdrew this.

I guess I will never know. I currently am receiving notices stating that I have been absence and if I do not attend they will be forced to withdraw me from school as well as letter from advisor asking when I will return and another stating I need to do an exit interview. Oh and then from the current class I was taking an email message stating I received a zero on my assignment which I was supposed to have a “w” in the course for withdrawing. Needless to say to me it seems this school only cares about one thing and it’s not education rather they only care about making a profit. Save your money. Go to a school you can actually step foot in. They are more trustworthy.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I just finished my major classes and am in my 3rd year working on my minor - if you have self-discipline and can enforce good time-management to get your workload done according to the grading rubric and requested date, it is awesome. I have had zero issues with the material or workload - very flexible and I always take a lot away with me. The teachers can be hit or miss - but I've had way more positive/neutral experiences than I have bad - and it just takes an email to them to remedy it (not everyone grades the same, this can be a gray area if it is written assignments vs. Math and Science where it is black and white answers).

I used the GI Bill to cover my courses and it has run very smoothly - just make sure you double up on all those general education classes in the beginning so you don't run out of your eligible 36 months before your bachelors is complete. Ashford has classes all year long - but only one course at a time - so when creating the GI Bill they were thinking of traditional school terms (and multiple classes at once to finish in 36 months). This was a surprise- but the Pell Grant really helps and I'll only need a small student loan to cover the rest thankfully.

My advisors aren't ever really helpful and informative - but they're there if I have queries. I only wish Ashford offered more reputable/beneficial honors clubs. I've maintained a 4.0 and can't see the value in any of the ones which have invited me :P. I would suggest this school if you are willing to commit yourself to the independent workload :). It can be accommodated by any schedule.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I was facing listing my home, so I decided to pursue a degree to make ends meet and stay afloat. Ashford was the first school to call back. I was mislead about disbursement dates, amounts, and more. It took weeks to get the paperwork they needed, while never getting the same answer twice from my highly incompetent enrollment advisor. The classes were a joke--clearly filler while they wait for you to drop out. One instructor made it clear they would have graded earlier assignments more harshly if they knew how well I'd do on the final. That instructor also allowed another student to threaten me with violence without comment.

The last straw was ANT101, which was filled with racist (anti-indigenous) garbage as assigned reading. I quit. Now I'm waiting for the harassment about my loans to begin. If I was paranoid, I'd say they target their coursework at high-performance students the faculty disagrees with philosophically. I also experienced gender and religious discrimination over the course of my 5 classes. In short, do not attend. Pick literally anywhere else.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

When I first enrolled the woman was very pushy about me taking a student loan. I told her there’s too many free ways to do it. I don’t want a loan. She confronted me about choosing the box saying I don’t want a loan and made it out like I had no choice. I started classes and really the classes and flexibility were fine. Some harder than others. I used FASFA to pay for classes and wondered why that loan never came. I was supposed to have a loan for more than I needed and I’d get the extra so I was waiting on it.

Well after about five classes I quit. Then all of a sudden boom loan pays Ashford. At one point I even couldn’t be in a class because I didn’t fill out FASFA so no they didn’t hold the loan until I needed it. So now I’m a single mom making about $800 a month and I owe $4000 dollars and something for classes I didn’t take, part of me wants to start back but with everyone saying they add classes when you’re done and refuse to give you YOUR transcripts and degrees I’m a little worried.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Whatever you do, don't go to this school. It is a complete ripoff and your degree is not worth the paper they print it on. They want money. That's it. I was completely lied to and mislead the entire time. I went to school for almost 4 years. One month before I was suppose to graduate with my degree they put me out saying my final work was not done and that I would have to re enroll in those classes the next semester. I will not give them another dime. I have 74000.00 worth of student loans all for nothing. I will join any lawsuit against them. Just let me know and you can count me in.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I attended Ashford and had a great experience! They worked with me to transfer some credits I had received from another University and helped me transition into my degree program. It can be challenging to go back to school at 40 with a family and full time job but the staff in the financial aid department, my advisors (I did have more than one) and my Instructors were very helpful so that I could finish my degree in Business Finance. Tuition was on the more expensive side but not unreasonable. It took a lot of hard work but I had a lot of help along the way thanks to some great staff members. Thank you Ashford!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Oh where to begin. This school is a joke. My wife and I both attended Ashford, and at first they sounded smooth and compassionate. That wasn't the case after the first two courses or so. Everyone other than my enrollment counselor seemed like it was their first day on the job every time I called up there. Go figure, the front line enrollment counselors are smooth talkers and well trained to get you in the door, but after that they drop you on your face.

The financial aid department is filled with snotty, catty, sarcastic people. My wife has had more trouble getting her stipend and disbursement then I went through in a 9-month deployment to Iraq. Constantly asking for more financial aid paperwork, then when it gets sent in, she's told she needs to send something else in. Here's an idea, train your people to ask for everything upfront. It takes a week to receive and review something, then when it's done they ask for something else pushing it out at least another week.

As of now my wife's ledger card showed a credit of over $2600 to be issued to her. They only released $1100 of it and told her that money is not for her. It's for educational purposes. Who's paying that money back? Us or Ashford? No joke it's for education idiot, but she has gone from full time to part time work just to attend school, therefore that money is supporting her education so she can continue it and not have to go back to work full time.

Not to mention my stipend... Ready for this headache? The geniuses that be decided that they were going to hold my disbursement for another month because THEY didn't put a grade in right or on time. Tell me how that's my problem! I quit going here because my last class I was falling behind and had reached out to my instructor for help multiple times. She literally sent back the same cookie cutter response to all my emails. Like she didn't have time to teach, just tell us what to do. No wonder this crackpot school has been sued by over 5 different states attorney generals offices AND the VA had cut them out of the GI Bill process for a while.

This place is nothing but a for-profit snake pit, I have an open case with them in the Department of Education, and have reached out to local representatives as well as the OAG and fully intend to see to it that these clowns face another suit and hope they get shut down. Something to be said about an online school that has had multiple names, multiple addresses, many lawsuits, and kicked off previously by the VA. THE VA...they aren't the smoothest run organization either but even they told Ashford to kick rocks. Do not attend this school. They will rob you, lie to you, put you in debt, and leave you with a degree that means squat.

How low of a scumbag organization do you need to be to rip off veterans and their benefits they earned fighting for their country? Look no further, Ashford takes the gold on this too. I hope someone there reads this, and gets ready. I'm coming for you in the courtroom with everything I've got. Get ready for another lawsuit. Bunch of low life jokers. My name is SEAN ** and I approve this message.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I was enrolled at Ashford about 3 years ago. I enjoyed my experience up until the day I had to have emergency surgery. They decided to drop me from my class and then proceeded to charge me about $2000, to reenroll me in it without my permission. I had a hard time at this point with pain medication and always being tired. I had three kids on top of school and managed to get all B's in my classes up to this point. Now that I am ready to reenter school and have found one that will work for me they have decided to hold onto my transcript and make it so that I cannot used the credits I earned from them. I never asked to be dropped then re-enrolled. And when I talked to them about it they acted like they understood. They are a rip off and I am working to get their accreditation taken away from them.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I wanted to withdraw and the Financial Aid Counselor told me that I would lose all my funding if I did. I needed to withdraw because issues in class. Now I owe 3000$ and need my transcript to continue my classes.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I just wanted to give a brief review of my experience attending Ashford University. I just completed my degree in Psychology and it was a great experience. It took me four years and I had to stop and start many times to get through it, but Ashford worked with me through every situation I had to keep me on track and stopping my classes when I needed to stop. Communication with your academic advisor is important so that you can submit the necessary forms to stop your classes and then start them again. It was a smooth ride for me. I did not have any issues with any class or finances at all! You have to communicate with your advisors and professors just like you would if you attended class in person. It is a great school providing a great education! Just wanted to say thanks to Ashford University for working with me through these years to helping me get my degree!

Ashford University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1918 as a women's junior college, Ashford University has certainly grown beyond the mold. They now partner with Forbes in their School of Business and offer a complete range of educational services.

• Good reputation: In education, reputation is everything, and Ashford University has one to be proud of.

• Regionally accredited: In 2013, Ashford University earned accreditation from the WSCUC, one of the six regionally accrediting organizations.

• Online and on-campus: Ashford University has a long established campus in Clinton, IA and a virtual campus available to students worldwide.

• Transparent tuition: Tuition and fees are clearly posted on their website, so there are no unpleasant surprises after admission.

• Internal scholarships available: There are several scholarships available through Ashford University for students who qualify.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ashford University Company Information

1918
8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
San Diego