Online learning at it's best

Kaplan

Kaplan University
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.73/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Kaplan University is an online college that offers several degree programs.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

Kaplan University Reviews

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I enrolled during Fall 2003 and took 2 courses. I decided to enroll in a local university and they would not accept these courses as a transfer. I was told that this school is only accredited to itself and if I planned to go elsewhere then I shouldn't have wasted my time with this school. I had to retake the 2 courses that I had taken at Kaplan once I got to the University.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I was impressed with Kaplan at first. Was telling me that upon graduation they would help me with my resume, they would help me locate jobs In my field and even help me apply for them. They are of no help whatsoever! They sure do bug for the money though. I do not think I should have to pay. They did not do their job!!. Two years since graduation and still no help!

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

After speaking with Haley Carrillo on the phone today, I will never re-enroll in Kaplan again. He was demeaning, invasive, and condescending. From the very start of the phone call he was brief and rude. I had first began attending Kaplan after my son was born and I wasn't working. My grades were excellent and I was named on the Dean's List for most of my terms. Fast forward to when I re-enrolled after a two year break, I received a major promotion at work. All of my time went into work and my son, as I am a single mother NOT on any type of government aid or child support! I failed classes simply for not attending. I am not arguing that today. I take accountability and just wanted the chance to finish up the degree (as of 1 year ago, I was 2 classes away). As Haley made the already obvious so clear in his tone, "You know you still have to pay for the F's though, right?" I'm fully aware, which is why I wondering why I was being berated... I'm paying you!

I don't really think it's in an advisor's position to even talk about what I'm paying for. And I don't think it's in their position to criticize or be rude. Saying things like, "It doesn't matter how many classes you have left; it matters more what the dean will think..." or "You can file appeal, but I can't say they'll even want to work with you." or "Why couldn't you get it together? Just work? Is that it?" The calls are recorded, but I'm assuming this behavior and treatment is passed down through the ranks, so I'm not expecting much out of this. Go somewhere that WANTS to work with you and ADVISE you about what the best path to take is academically. You're supposed to feel empowered and motivated about finishing your academic career!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I enrolled in Kaplan and had a good experience for a month and a half. Needed to speak to my advisor however she wasn't in the office. The advisor speaking for her told me I was wasting her time and and the school's when they could be better spent on someone who deserves it. This was a few years back but if individuals such as these are supposed to be an Academic Advisor, I can only imagine the standards she was pushing onto the students when they asked for help. Whether under a different name or how few years ago, if this is the sentiment tolerated or personal opinions are more important, DO NOT ENROLL HERE.

Original review: July 31, 2019

I filled out paperwork I thought it was for financial aid. Wrong. It was for a parent student loan! Somehow this went on for two years. I did not know anything about it. I cannot get info from school because it's in my daughter's name. They won't release info to me without her filling out a third party form. Waiting on this to get done. I total feel someone took total advantage of me. I can't pay this. I am living paycheck to check now. I really hope no one gets screwed over like I am. It's not fair to me. I'm going to be the one losing. It's not fair.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan?

Original review: June 21, 2019

I signed up for a Bachelor's degree in Business Management. I was told that I had gotten my financial aid so I assumed everything was good to go. Well it wasn't. I took the first ten weeks of classes which I passed and was loving the classes, but when the next ten week classes came up I was in the second week and they blocked me from getting into the class. They told me I had to come up with a little over a thousand dollars to continue with my classes. Well I was not able to come up with that kind of money in the length of time so I didn't get a chance to do anything. My question is how could I owe Kaplan University that much money when I was taking online classes. I live in Mississippi so saying that, I will go on to explain why I asked the question why I owed them so much because I never got any books. I didn't use the library or anything. I used my own laptop computer and my own electricity so what exactly was Kaplan University charging me for.

I also think if another University bought them out the students that they say owed them should not have to pay for the classes that they took after the other University bought Kaplan. I tried and tried to call and get answers but you get put on hold and I couldn't keep on paying for the phone calls because that is long distance so you can imagine the bill when you sit there waiting for ten minutes or more then you just get tired of waiting and hang up because you have to get ready to go to work. So you try the next few days and the same thing over and over you just get tired of trying.

Trust me I will be looking into when Purdue University bought Kaplan University out and if it was before the year 2018 I will be looking into what I can do because if Kaplan University is no longer available why are they still getting my money because they took my 2018 tax return. People a word of advice. Never sign up for this College. The classes were good. I will admit that but as far as the financial aid office it's a joke. A scam because I know for a fact that in the little print it states you do not have to start paying for the classes until you graduate and get a job but I already had a job. That was not the problem. The problem is they lie out their back end. If my review gets read I want to thank everyone for reading it. Robbie **.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Scam, you'll get all the way to the end only to realize you won't have enough to finish. I have 150 credits. Needed 180 to finish. But now I'm stuck with 60000+ in student loans. I worked really hard to obtain my degree and you could see when my worked declined when I found out I wasn't gonna have enough to finish. Even with financial aid and my advisor encouraging me to continue. Why continue to rack up a bill and not get my degree in return?? Now I can't sign up anywhere to continue because I'm to my limit in loans. All that hard work for nothing but in so much debt I'm drowning. What a waste!

Original review: March 6, 2019

I signed up for their real estate course, the woman I spoke to on the phone told me that I had to pay in person and I couldn't pay online...mind you this was all upfront. So I drove the hour to get to her location and she said my books would be arriving at my home shortly. I got my books, and there were no instructions other than an email stating that the "in classroom class" would be in a couple months. I get to the class and the other 15 students and I were under the impression that we would be learning and going through the books and online stuff...nope. The online stuff was supposed to be finished BEFORE coming to this classroom class. This put all of us behind because there are 6 proctored exams that need to be passed before you can go and take the state exam. All of us were angry. I do not recommend this school. Do not waste your money! DO NOT!

Original review: March 4, 2019

Technology for online classes is terrible! Do not use this platform. Classes and tests time out on you and count as an attempt! Find a different platform since this one is not friendly to serious test takers.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Prior to enrolling in Kaplan University, I contacted the DOH of the state where I currently reside to make sure they were regionally and nationally accredited. I received a letter stating that they were, so I enrolled into Kaplan's MSN program. About a year into the program, I began having trouble with several of my instructors. One was so illiterate that she couldn't properly cite nor spell, yet she critiqued my papers harshly. I also began having issues with one of the foreign students who was emailing inappropriate hate mail to me which the instructors excused. I looked into those instructors and discovered they were not doctors of anything, and that the assistant dean was really the senior data clerk.

I then found out they were not accredited and that they were being sold to Purdue University for $1.00 (one dollar) and have a history of corruption. After much ado, I learned that any degree from them wouldn't be worth the paper it was written on and quickly withdrew from the program. I have since entered into a class action lawsuit with many others who discovered after they enrolled that this school is corrupt.

Kaplan expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With a 76 year history and one million students each year, Kaplan University has an established reputation as an exceptional educational provider.

• Degree programs: Many online colleges only offer certificate or associate degree programs, but Kaplan University goes to a bachelor's degree and beyond.

• Advanced degrees: If you already have a bachelor's degree and want to pursue your masters, Kaplan has several programs available.

• On campus option: While possibly best known for their online and distance learning programs, Kaplan has nearly 400 campus locations in 25 countries.

• Regional accreditation: Not every program is regionally accredited, but Kaplan makes it easy to find out which course of study meets those requirements by putting accreditation information front and center on their website.

• Nationally accredited certifications: For those looking for direct entry or continuing education opportunities, Kaplan has a range of accredited certification programs across several industries.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team