Target Credit Card

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I always pay on time for my Target Redcard Mastercard and pay off 100% of the balance. Recently I had a roughly $1164 balance and paid it off in full from my Wells Fargo Bank account on 11/14/2016. Almost half a month later on November 29th my card was declined at Target when trying to use it for the 5% discount. I had put maybe $300 of other payments on in the days after I paid the balance. My Wells Fargo payment showed it had been debited on 11/14/16 for the full amount of $1164 yet when I called Target Mastercard Redcard customer service they told me they had a "hold" on my card because it had a "big balance" since funds had "not yet been received" (almost half a month later?!).

I escalated it to a supervisor who pretended we had a bad connection on the phone line and eventually actually hung up on me. I called back again and the same thing happened a second time, the supervisor hung up on me and claimed to have a bad connection when I said I wanted to cancel my card. When I got home I called again, and the SAME THING happened, I was escalated to supervisor and she pretended to have a bad connection again (I was in my home at this point where I have never had a bad connection).

I asked to cancel my card and she hung up on me. They did remove the "hold" on my card and I can use it, but I think some type of financial trickery is going on at this company because they are holding funds for over half a month. Customer service pretends to have "bad connections" and is rude and will hang up when you question them or ask to cancel your card. In my belief some type of dubious financial scam is going on here, and it is very intentional. I intend to cancel my card if they let me.

I just need to change my address. I have called twice, been put on hold 4 times and I have been on the call for 30+ minutes and running. After reading the other reviews I don't think I am going to accomplish this simple task. Who can we report this to that would make the much needed changes here?

I ordered a Christmas gift last night for $176.00 online and was looking at more to buy but decided to wait until the next day. Let's just say the credit limit was $2300.00, but received a letter in the mail stating that I haven't used my card for a year and I would have to use it within the next 2 months or the account would be closed and my credit limit dropped to $200.00. I never got any notice from Target about this until it had already happened, glad I didn't make any other purchases or it would have been over the limit of which I knew nothing about. I'm guessing they don't want my business for I buy things when I want them not to just satisfy a credit card account.

I called the number on the back of the card and talk to a woman about the situation and she stated that it was a security ordeal that if you don't use your card within a year this would happen, now here it is close to Christmas and I was going to buy more but not now. I ask to speak to her supervisor and a woman named Jennifer answered the phone and basically said the same thing; however. She also said that they review your creditworthiness every month and need a call from you every year or before to give them your income to keep the credit that you have. I ask her why I didn't get an e-mail and she said they don't e-mail. I ask why then didn't they send me a letter before this happened and she said they don't do that either and it was policy that I should have known about.

Jennifer stated that if I give her my income for verification that they (whoever they are) would check it out for a credit increase of the $200.00. I ask her if they would have this finish before Christmas and she said she has NO idea but I would just have to wait. I told her that Target must be doing great financially for they don't need anyone's business since they just drop customer's credit without getting a hold of them before. I will probably wait on the increase and cancel the card a couple of months later for I don't really need their card or need to do business with them anyway. I think that this is a poor way of doing and keeping customers.

You have to buy something that you don't want or need every 10 months or so. If you don't buy anything within 14 months your account will be closed. I have several credit cards and I'm lucky that my credit is excellent, none of my other cards close the account for lack of use. The other companies must know that eventually I will use their cards when I need or want something not to just satisfy their wishes to keep the card for something I don't need or want. The moral of this write-up is to inform all customers of Target's practices and that I will NO longer be doing business with them again. It is nice to know that Target is doing so well financially.

I had the worst credit card customer service I have ever seen trying to reset my account password. They ask you for all the information and then at the very end say they can't process this at this time. This is just to reset a password. Then if you call their 1-800 system they again collect all the information and after many more choices made on the phone system say their offices are closed. What kind of a company is that which is operating in 2016 with no phone customer service on a weekend during the day.

I am very happy with Target brick and mortar stores and with such a bad experience online I will start looking elsewhere. They should hire good user interface experts and programmers and pay someone to operate a 24x7 customer service. I am canceling my red card and will shop Amazon for future needs. It is no wonder why Target is having issues keeping up with online retailers. Now I know how bad their decision makers are on the business side. Maybe they have some business case to make it hard for people so that they can collect late fees on credit cards.

We recently received a Target Visa card for $50. We tried using it at a restaurant for the full 50. We were informed the card would only go through for $40. I called the number on the card and the agent advised me they always assume any user of the card would apply a 20% tip, so the card would only be approved for $40 and change. This is completely ** ridiculous. I, as the card holder and owner, should not have an implied or imposed amount applied to my card. I should have the right to have them run the card for whatever amount I deem fit and appropriate. The amount I use my card for should not be dictated by what Target thinks the responsible amount should be. As of now, I will never purchase or condone the use or purchase of any Target card or gift card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target?

I never received bill for 6 mos and when I asked to remove late fees of $250 they would not and my credit dropped 150 points. They have cost me now 1000's in interest because I can't get low interest loans. I am a full time student. I hate these people. They never even called me to tell me about my outstanding debt.

I called to have a late fee removed from my account. My son was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia on Wednesday 11/2 and was discharged 11/5. My payment was due 11/3. I made a payment 11/7 and they refused to waive the late fee!!! I thought this was so rude and disrespectful. I requested to speak to a supervisor and was advised they would tell me the same thing. I advised her that I wanted the call to be transferred to escalations and she asked why again and I explained that due to the circumstance it should be waived. After notating the account she stated someone would call me within 24-48hrs and that I will need to answer because a message won't be left. So now I'm waiting. I will be canceling my card if they don't waive the fee. That would be so non-empathetic of the company.

I will NEVER shop at this ** store again!!! I went online to start my Xmas shopping for my grandchildren before I go in for surgery so I would have it taken care of and could relax, but no, Target put a hold on my account until I fax my social and my driver's license because THEY couldn't send me a confirmation number to MY phone number that I've had now for 30 years!!! I REFUSE to shop at this store or the online store again. Target treated me like absolute crap!! I've never felt like more of an ** than I did while talking to the customer service rep. I canceled my card with them and will NEVER go back. I have plenty of other cards that won't put me through this much hassle when you're using what you got approved for. See ya Target!!! You definitely WILL NOT be missed!!! A little bit of advice... Change how you handle certain credit card issues or be prepared to lose more cardholders in the future!!!

San Francisco does not have many of the discount stores that exist in other places, and yet is known as an extremely expensive place to live. I personally would love to support Target because in the middle of the 2016 internet frenzy around LGBT people (and seriously, non-LGBT) persons and restrooms, Target's management made a declaration about how anyone visiting Target could use the bathroom of their choice - this was met with a backlash and internet protests declaring boycotts of Target stores - and all of that only made me more determined to buy anything and everything I could at Target to counteract that stance which I cannot possibly agree with (see earlier note that indicates I live in San Francisco).

And then Target themselves has been as difficult as possible with regards to their credit card - and wants to charge me excessive fees for problems exacerbated by their own Redcard payment website - and no, Target, I am not willing to go along with your unfair and bizarre fee scheme, whereas if you'd just played decently - just fairly - not excessively in one direction or the other - I would have been your ideal shopper for life, even though we don't get the discounts available to a Target store in the suburbs - that much is clear from your separate but not equal flyers in Sunday newspapers. But you tell me "x" on the phone, your website obscures "x" and tries to tell me something irrelevant like "j". You continue to send me statements indicating I owe "$29" and my minimum balance is "$25?" Wtf?

I was completely transparent with your website, your phone operator, my last couple of payments that didn't quite work out that you assured me over the phone were now all taken care of? Then either you are unscrupulous, and might as well hang "TRUMP" over your inner city stores and reveal the "pretend everyone can use our bathrooms" was only to catch photos of those trying to have such luxuries as "phones", "internet access", "credit cards" and "a 5% discount to our store" in order to catch us in 900% weirdo fakeass fees. You owe your own, very nice, customer service reps, more than this. They should not have to spend their entire shift defending you against your chronic **.

The 5% discount is not worth the hassle. Ended up having ~$170 fees on a single $60 purchase, really hurt my credit score in the process. Never received my card or any bills. (I know I could have called them to check instead of waiting). I was willing to pay off my full balance if they could remove just 1 late fee out of the 5 that I had. They were very apologetic but assured me that was not possible even knowing that they would lose a customer for life and receive poor reviews. It’s sad that a couple of dollars (that Target probably won’t even see that much of) was worth it. I will not be shopping at Target ever again. I thought Target was a great store but contracting with a shady credit card company has tainted my opinion of Target. Target should reconsider the approach they taught their cashiers to pressure all customer into signing up for a Redcard.

After reporting our card stolen, we were treated like second class citizens and criminals. Our account got locked down and we were no longer able to make payments online. We had to call in each time to make a payment. When asked about getting it fixed the man told us that we needed to prove who we were by faxing in a drivers license and social security card. This is the worst customer service ever. When we had a similar incident with another card, they politely made sure the card was canceled and we were issued a new one after a series of questions were asked of us. This make it very inconvenient for us to have to wait on hold for customer service and to be treated like a criminal when it was us who lost our cards during a move and could have someone trying to use our cards. I feel like they are treating us poorly and like bad customers. I will pay this card off and NEVER go back there again!!!

Sep 14 I used the REDcard debit. It was sent through the next day. It bounced. Since Sept 14 it has been sent through 3 more times. Even after me calling. They say I owe nothing. This has cost me so far $108.00 with my bank charges and IS STILL NOT RESOLVED. I have called and called. I was told "oh I'm sorry for your inconvenience. We will refund 1 bounce check fee." Not been done 2 wks later. And I just don't how to pay this amount they say I owe. This has been a nightmare. DO NOT GET THIS DEBIT CARD PLEASE.

We used to like shopping at Target; however, our experience with their REDcard this year left us with bitter feelings towards this corporation. We have excellent credit ratings and have never been treated so poorly by any other credit card company. They suggested we didn't know how to manage our credit. The real story was that they changed our billing to paperless without our knowledge and then when we didn't pay the bill on time they charged us late fees. They said "it wouldn't be fair to our other customers" if they reversed the charges. Their devious business practices ended up costing us an extra $60 on a $30 charge. That's the kind of savings you get at Target! We will shop elsewhere.

Due date is the 25th of the month. I paid on the Sep 28th for the following month. They credited it to the previous month and say I still owe for Oct 25th. If I did not check I would have had late charges. This scam is wrong due date 25 end of cycle. I have paid the amount off and cancelled the card. This coupled with their views on rest rooms me upset. I will not enter a Target store again and suggest you do the same.

Do not get this card, no matter how many times the Target check-out person asks! This card has the worst customer service that I have ever encountered in my life! I had 2 fraudulent charges on my account. They were happy to put a hold on it, but I have now called 5 times and am not able to have my identification "verified" by them in order to have the fraud investigated and the charges refunded. First they said that my cell phone number (which has been in my account for years, which they have actually called in the past to check on a charge) is not verified, so they can't use that to send me the verification code. They also can't use my home number, because the only way they have to do that is to use a computerized call that is blocked on my home phone. They insist that I need to remove this, but I can't get into that account to do that, and I shouldn't need to!

They suggested that I try another cell phone number, so I gave them husband's, which also "could not be verified". The representative I just spoke to told me that she was going to mark my account so that I couldn't waste any more of her or another supervisor's time, then she hung up on me! They are just avoiding refunding my fraudulent charges, which I think are the result of another breach in their system, since this card was not used any other places in the month prior to the fraud. I will never shop at Target or use this card again!

I applied for a Target Red Card Debit Card about a year ago. I used to love shopping at Target. However my recent experience has been very embarrassing for me. I spent over 1500.00 at Target two weeks ago and had never had an issue with my card prior to this. Today my card was declined at the register. I immediately called the customer service number because I was embarrassed at the register. Thanks Target. When I called I was told I had too many transactions apparently you are not allowed to shop at Target more than twice a week. Even though you have an excellent account standing. When I was told this I asked if there was a limit I was told no. Lie number one. Yet I was declined for it.

I was told I had to wait for those transactions to go through before I could use my card again. When I asked how long it would be before the transactions closed, the lady took it upon herself to close my account. Which now according to them could. It cannot be reopened unless I went to reapply. That if I reapply it would be one day processing. They lied again. After they make you waste your time reapplying it's 7-10 days for the reapplication to be processed. I truly was a shopper who loved Target. However this experience I've had with Target has been so embarrassing. Especially since I've shopped there for so long and so much I knew a lot of the customer service reps by name.

So even more embarrassing on my part. I officially from this point on will boycott Target. I write for the Orlando Sentinel and local area papers that I will gladly rehash my experience so that no customer of Target will have to go through what I did. It's really a shame when you repay your customer's loyalty the way Target has. You should be ashamed Target. You lost a great and dedicated customer. But you obviously don't care about how your customers feel. That was made very clear to me today.

My name is Leann and I currently got a REDcard from Target in Stockton, Ca. I thought it would be a good way to start off my credit with target. Well I was wrong. The first day I got the redcard they said I wouldn't be able to use it and then I only put a $100 credit on a laptop and I paid it off. Seeing that I had no more payments I tried to get $200 worth of credit to get a ps4 but they said I had no more credit. In order to buy anything else it had to be cash.

So I called later that night and they said I owed $108.70. Okay where did all this money owed came from?? They say I got the redcard, they told me I would be able to use it and I bought a $50 dollar dresser and paid in full. Good thing I use my card & they used my card without permission or my knowledge to charge me twice. Now I have to waste more money to fax my bank statements and spend more money over this **. I swear to god I can't wait for everyone to realize this company is a piece of ** and they deserve the worst coming towards them!

Look, here are the facts: Target's Red Card system is run through TD Bank, which is a Canadian Bank that is almost awful. The most selfish, rudest, and fraudulent bank whose only goal is to steal from their own customers. The Interest Rate on Red Card is above 23% for only a 5% savings on your purchases. This is a bad idea, don't recommend, especially since TD Bank is the biggest joke bank and cannot answer for their devilish methods. Stick to real banks like BoA and do not get the card.

In the beginning of Sept I get a decline on my Red card at target and immediately call the target redcard phone line. I was told that in March, I was mailed out a new card with a chip in it. I didn't get that letter. Anyways I ask for a new card to be sent to me. With a signature required, the card gets shipped to my workplace. I call in to authorize the card, I can't.

Rep 1 is telling me that she has to transfer my call. The line disconnects. Back on the phone line and I get transferred to rep 3. I get told by rep 3 that he can't send me a text verification code because my number isn't updated. What?! I called target the month before to update my information since I changed my phone number... I guess that didn't get done. Nor did it get done the time I verified my info when I requested a new card to get ship to me. Anyways I ask for a manager. 30 minutes go by and I get transferred to a Manager (Here's rep 4) that asks me to fax in my social security card as well as my ID. I respectfully decline. No I'm not faxing in my social! Target, are you going crazy??? After declining, he recaps to says that procedure is one of two things... I need to fax in my stuff or I basically can't use my credit card. I've made the decision to close my acct.

I opened a Target store card June 2016 at the register after refusing but the cashier going on and on to make the commission. I finally caved and it has been the worst nightmare since. I have several store credit accounts and regular credit accounts, am ALWAYS religiously on time with payments and making payments even when I don't have to so I can get ahead. Never ever a problem until Target. I opened the acct in June, making a $40 dollar purchase of toys for my boys. As soon as I received the card in the mail, I registered the card, opened an online account and made the payment.

A few weeks later, I go to check on the account as I do look over all my acct every so often, even if I know I haven't had any activity. Fraud happens all the time and I try to be sure on top of that. I find that I was charged a late fee and now my balance is $60 something. I call, speak to rep, they say it looks like I attempted to pay but then canceled the payment. I say ok, maybe... just MAYBE, I truly did make the mistake of hitting cancel instead of submit when paying the bill. So I ate it... and paid the amount with late fee. System says thank you for payment, I move on. I check the acct again in a few days giving it time to post the payment... and sure enough, account says payment posted. TO THIS DAY IT SAYS PAYMENT POSTED.

I get a bill in the mail 3 weeks later charging me for the initial purchase and late fee I just paid, plus another late fee for nonpayment and a bank return fee. What? I try calling, Rep is rude and dumb. Can't figure out what's going on, I ask to speak to a supervisor. I'm told she made the note for one to call me back. I never got a call. I called again to try to resolve and again rep can't do anything putting in request for supervisor callback... No supervisor calls. All in all, I spoke to a rep who could not help me in any way other try to take money that I did not owe, at least 5 times. No supervisor ever called back.

I had a bill due yesterday, I tried to talk to someone again... no luck. Of course now it's late again... I get a call from Target card services on an attempt to collect a debt today! So you can call me the day after a bill is due to collect the additional late fee you're charging me and not willing to take off, but a supervisor can't make 1 call over the last week months!?!? Absurd!!! What has me pissed off even more is that they are reflecting this as negative activity on my credit report! Their negligence and lack of follow through is now my negative activity!? I can't even begin to explain how frustrated and livid I am. But you know what, karma will come back to bite them.

Having a Target card is the biggest regret and headache and I no longer shop there. When I signed up to pay online they stopped sending me statements. I tried to set up autopay but the system did not allow it so I called customer service. The lady on the phone does not understand me because of a language issue on her part. I try to cancel my card and she is not happy about what I had to say about Target. Nothing accomplished!! After several phone calls and late fees I finally find out I have to click on minimum payment in order to set up autopay... Target makes it hard and tricky to set this up. I truly feel they trick you because they are so greedy for the late fee. They should be shut down!!

Target has the poorest customer service, website and fees of all of my credit cards. I have great credit and set up autopay for all of my credit cards. When changing banks, I updated my bank information however there was a apparently obscure link to use that same account info for autopay so I was assess a fee when I discovered I missed a payment. Despite being a customer for 6 years and following the asinine customer service procedure of having a supervisor call me back (they will only call once at any time of the day/night and if you miss the call, they will not try again and you'll need to repeat the original process) they would not refund the fee. Now they lost a high earning customer who is glad Target is going out of business due to Amazon!

I have been shopping at Target for approximately 15 years and love it. In May 2015, I opened a REDcard credit (there's three types of cards they offer). I made payments on time and life was grand. In May 2016, I joined bank accounts with my new husband and canceled my own. I immediately called to notify Target and update the new account info for the following bills. All seemed well. Late June, my payment did not go through, and I only noticed when reviewing my bank account activity without the usual Target transaction. I call and the rep I speak with says the payment was returned, removes the late fee, inputs the bank account info again and resubmits the payment. Great.

Late July, same situation. Payment returned, I call, fees removed, bank information resubmitted a third time. Throughout this ordeal, Target never emailed me once to let me know these payments are being returned or confirm the "corrections" have been made with a follow up email after phone conversations. On August 14th, my card gets declined for a fourteen dollar purchase. I'm Leaving that night to be out of town for a week, so I'll call when I get back. August 26th, my payment finally goes through as I see it in my bank account!! Wonderful! I can't believe I made 3 phone calls to avoid ME entering the new bank info wrong only to have them screw up and entering the info myself is what saves me!!

August 29th, my card gets declined. I call and the rep I speak with says the payment may take 24-48 hours after it's posted. I argue a bit because it was posted on the 24th and withdrawn the 26th, but on the 29th, I have to wait two MORE days to use my card? He says "yes, have a good day." September 1st, I receive two letters in my mail from Target. The first dated August 24th says my account has been closed due to too many returned payments. The second dated August 25th says "please contact us about your account status." If they actually made that decision on to close my account after not paying August, wait until after you actually attempt to process August's payment!! AND why would the man I spoke with on August 29th not tell me that my account is closed if they closed it on or before August 24th??!

Today, September 3rd, I called to confirm my closed account and explain the situation and my confusion with how their repeated mistakes have left me without an account. I was transferred twice and on hold three times for a total of 11 minutes. At the end of me explaining what THEY have done to put ME in this situation, the rep says "well ma'am I don't understand but you can always open another account." I was furious. How do they not keep record of phone conversations and when they interacted with their customers? How can they admit responsibility for updating incorrect information by waiving a late fee TWICE, but dismiss my own attempt after?? I'm beyond disappointed with Target. After their security breach, I should have known better than to open an account. Can anyone tell me if this will affect my credit score (I had the REDcard credit NOT the REDcard MasterCard)?

The 5% off is nice, but it's probably the worst store credit card in existence. Mine no longer even works, and I'm not sure when the new one will come. It may have originally been a technical issue, but now it looks like they just deactivated the thing before sending me my new one. The website says that old cards stay active until the new one is activated. Yeah right.

I have been a loyal Target customer for 10 years. In 2013, I signed up and became a Red Card holder. A year ago, I added another bank account info to my online account to use for payments. The website does not reveal the info once you input it. I only used it for a payment or two. But a whole year, Target insists that whenever I utilize my original bank info (the same one I have been using since 2013), it has insufficient funds.

After 12 months of going back and forth, having their reps do a 3 way call with my bank to verify and even disputing payments that Target reps have consented on my behalf and a load of other mishaps, they decided to close my account, charge me for late fees and penalties, and insist that I need to make a payment. According to Target, I am 30 days late, and if I want to reopen the account, I need to reapply. I will NEVER own a Target Red Card again. Card and company is a totally mess. Useless card. Incompetent reps, who automatically accuse you of wrongdoing, and it is never Target's fault.

I was late one day paying my credit card. Target charged me a late fee of $60.00. According to the law passed in 2009, late fees can not exceed $25.00. I do not think 1 day late should receive this high late fee.

I recently had some fraudulent activity on my Target REDcard and when I called to report it not only was I transferred multiple times but I was basically treated like a criminal and a liar. The first rep that "helped" me told me that it wasn't possible that my card was used without my knowledge since a pin is needed which isn't by the way. This is so sad because I love Target. It's one of my favorite stores to shop. However, I might have to cancel my card and account with them to prevent this in the future. If I could give Target online customer services zero stars I would.

My name is Jose, I just canceled my red credit card from target. They are thieves, they did not send the statements that were suppose to send. After three month they send an email telling I have to pay penalties for not doing the payments on time. I called today and they said they sent, but just lies, I receive almost everyday news about clearance and sales from target, but not any statements or alerts. I recommend to everyone to be aware of these thieves.

I received an email from Target saying I was late on a payment. I did not receive an email saying a payment was due. I called Target Red Card and told them I never received the payment due email and she removed the $25 late fee and $1.96 interest charge as a "courtesy." She said it was my responsibility to remember my due date. "Remember your due date is the 19th of every month." So, Target can send me an email saying my payment is 3 days late but they can't send me an automatic email saying my payment is due? I don't believe in doing business with companies that run this way. After I paid the bill in full I told her I had one more transaction to do and that is to close the account. She asked me "Why?" I said, "Because of the conversation we're having." She said that was not a good reason and I could go back to paper statements. Is it me or has the whole world gone nuts in their reasoning ability?

I received my Target REDcard in January 2016. Knowing I had a balance I had issues accessing my account online. I contacted Target, got it fixed and paid the bill. At this time we discussed the fact that I did not receive a bill and the representative said they had the issue resolved. I used the card shortly after and immediately got online and paid the bill through my online banking. I did not use the card again for several months (4/9/2016) and when I did it was a small amount under $50. At this point I still had not received any sort of bill from Target REDcard. I forgot that I had used the card and did not receive any bills (nor attempt to use the card) through the months of April, May or June.

On July 13, 2016 I received a collection notice in the amount of $108.77 stating I was overdue. Confused I called and was told if I paid the bill in full once the account was current they would work with me to remove the late fees as I didn't receive ANY bill reminders nor did I use the card during this time. On July 25, 2016 I called and was informed since I had already paid the bill they would not remove any fees or remove the mark on my credit report. I explained the situation but was informed that they had sent electronic bills to my email address and it wasn't their fault I didn't receive them.

A quick Google search shows this is a common problem with Target and they should be held accountable for charging fees to people without notifying them they have a balance. Had this been a one month issue I would be more understanding but as the bill progressed for months without notification while they continued to increase my balance is unacceptable. My credit score is over 800 and I can prove I do not let bills slide. They on the other hand have numerous complaints regarding this issue. I have closed my account and will not do business with Target again.

Target Credit Card Company Profile