Find the Best Card

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

371 Target Credit Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 6, 2019

I love Target and was trying to build my credit, I have another card through Hot Topic. Never had an issue. Target kept kicking out my payments without notifying me, apparently because my bank info was not correct. Which it is because I use the same info for my Hot Topic card. Well since I didn't know they rejected my payment I racked up a higher bill than needed and it lowered my score. Paid it off, still hasn't been reported to any credit agency. Had to drive an hour to Target to pay it and even that was an annoying process with poor customer service.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I was a regular shopper at Target until we decided to get a Redcard. Target employees both on the phone, and in the store are rude, unhelpful, and ridiculously lacking in professionalism. One will tell you one thing, the next will completely contradict the other. Done with Target.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I paid my Target Red Card payment of 11.20 which was the entire bill. According to Target they could not retrieve the money from the account. I asked them the account number and it was not mine. I asked them to show me where that account number is on my bill. Shelby from Dispute Resolution said she couldn't. She said the account was deleted from my account already. I informed them that was not my account and according to my bank you never tried to retrieve the money. Target charged my 27.00 for a bill of 11.20cents. They had the wrong number. They can't prove it and they are taking advantaged of a 73 year old disabled Senior Citizen on a fixed income. What horrible customer service. So my entire bill is up to 38.00. This has to be against the law.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Every time I try and log on to pay my bill I have to reset my username and password. I'm entering everything correctly so I know it's not on my end. It takes forever to pay my bill - very frustrating!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

They take your payments but refuse to update your available credit for literally WEEKS - if you make an extra payment, like I did - they punish you. I've had this RedCard since 2006!!! Given the recent decline in customer service - and the shoddy management of this account - I am no longer going to use this card. It will be paid off ASAP so I don't have to deal with this crooks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I LOVE Target. And in certain circles. "Tar’ga”, like an exclusive Boutiqueago. My Redcard Debut card bounced so many times due to delayed withdrawals from my checking account. Please investigate this problem, as I don’t have unlimited income at my disposal. Am speaking for my finances, am not as fortunate as others. Please look into this, it’s the only Con I have for this Company, The Pros are all the innovative designers at a fraction of the cost of the high end departure stores and Boutique(s).

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Target seems to hold your payments on hold for ridiculous reasons and length of time. I called 4 times and was told the first time the payment would be cleared the next day. It didn't . I called the next day and they said it would be another couple of weeks. I called today the date I was told they would clear it and was told they need to call my bank to confirm it cleared. OMG. Are you kidding me!!!

They have my payment now for 3 weeks. The representative said well if you wait it should clear this week. REALLY TARGET? Every time I call I get a different answer. You have the payment, Clear my account or close it. I was told one time they had put the payment on hold because it was a larger payment than usual. What kind of stupid excuse is that??? Will never shop there again. There are too many other stores and cards to choose from to put up with this poor customer service. Keep it up and I am sure Target will follow in other stores with less than customer service. I wish I could give them a negative star for customer service.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

We had the card for 11 years with no issues. We did not receive a statement in November or December of 2018. They never requested payment. The card stopped working so I called them and they claimed we were delinquent. We immediately paid the balance in full ($638). They reported this as a delinquent account and lower my credit score by 80 points. If you read the reviews, this seems to be a common complaint. They cannot/will not send electronic statements, I didn't believe it myself until multiple of their representatives told me the same thing. You are required to log on and check.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Target pushed us into a 5% red card, which is fine, we went for it but after 6 months the card failed to work at the registers. The card has an 800 number on the back but when we call it asks for the last four digits of the card. **, "Sorry we don't recognize that. Please try again. ** - "Please try again." Enter the full number **, "Sorry we don't recognize that, please try again." The website offers the same experience with NO WAY to reach a human. Finally after mashing 00000000000000000 #### I managed to get a human. After 5 minutes I was put on hold and disconnected. What a joke. Never shopping here again.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

THE WORST painful experience with a credit card. I have perfect credit, pay every bill for 50 yrs. This card demanded I fax, where anyone would have my information unshredded, then my bank statement, social security card, utility bill, etc. to authorize me??? This is unacceptable. All I wanted to do was pay my first charge of $400 bill before the statement arrived. They could not "authorize me" because I had a Comcast telephone number??? Why? All I wanted to do was pay the bill. Since they would not authorize me, I could not use the card to gain my discounts. So, I wanted to pay the balance of $14 and cancel the card. Fraud dept refused to allow me to cancel the card!!!...until I sent them my "documentation"...all those highly personal papers I just mentioned that they do not have a right to. I was screaming; I was crying on the phone. This should be reported to highest levels of banking. Is this a side scam???

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I used my credit card that had a zero balance for an Uber ride and was charged $8.00. This was in October of 2018. They sent me to collections in January of 2019 for this debt, and my credit score dropped well over 100 points. Ridiculous!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Took out a cash advance and was told as long as I pay the cash advance amount in full there will be no extra charges. When I reviewed my account a year later and did a deep dive into the interest charges I realized they were charging me an added interest charge. Fairly small enough so that it went unnoticed for that amount of time. So when I called again to clarify, they stated “make a pymt in the amount of what is owed and place a note on file as to the specifics of the charge, then that would clear out the added interest”. However when I re-evaluated after payment posted, I called and had to ask for a supervisor. She stated that was NOT the case and the whole balance had to be paid in full (which included additional purchases) and then the account would no longer accrue the additional charges.

In addition, every time you use the card and carry a balance they reduce your credit limit by the 1000s, which severely affects your credit score from month to month. Buyer beware. There are many other wonderful banking institutions out there that will support you in a positive way. STAY AWAY!!! Absolutely horrible company. If it couldn’t get any worse, my number was stolen and I don’t even use the card and even after being issued another card I called and asked why I had additional fraudulent charges after the account was closed and the new card wasn’t even activated and another supervisor kept talking over me and telling me I didn't understand. How a bank so unprofessionally deals with their customers and gives customers absolutely NO PEACE OF MIND, I WILL NEVER KNOW. Have now even dropped shopping there. PLEASE DONT EVEN CONSIDER, YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

In order to log in onto their website, you have to make a phone call and wait on hold, because their security question thing doesn't ever work! After calling and waiting on hold, and only if you are the authorized user on the account, they will give you a temporary password to log in. Once you finally get logged in, you will be required to change all your security questions before you can do anything, and then create a new password. The same goes for trying to sync this account in Mint. Never had this problem with almost 100 credit cards I've had over the years. Just going to shop somewhere that understands how to make a credit card work!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I tried make a payment several times via call them or through online payment but they asked me to call them back or block my account to not me to pay on times every time. It charged me a huge late fees. It was really sad and desperated. Please investigate it and help us. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

They make you jump through 20 hoops just to make a payment. I like all things Target but this product is horrible. I called to find out when my due date was and I was told I was already late! I would not recommend this card to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Was a Target RedCard holder for 11 years - and a great one. Spent ten of thousands at Target over the years. In Aug 2018, I had my card completely paid off. Told my kids not to use their cards that connect to my account anymore. I had had issues with the card triggering fraud alerts and Target/TD Bank placing the card on hold, yet never contacting me to tell me it was on hold, then going to Target loading a cart full of groceries, trying to check out, and being declined. Then I would have to use another card and not receive my cartwheel and 5% off - thus ruining the savings I had planned. It happened more than three times, and I was disillusioned. In fact, I was going to close the card in August, but I knew doing so could lower my FICO score, so I didn't. Boy - that a mistake. Ugh - hindsight!

So, on 5 Dec 2018, my credit monitoring service told me that Target/TD Bank had reported me the credit bureaus. WHAT!? I hadn't charged on the card since 5 Aug... Now, in Sep I saw that some of my kids' online games were auto billing to it, so I paid that off 9/26/2018 and had them remove the card from those accounts. But I never received a statement that month, or one in October, or one in November. Now they reported me to the credit bureau? No email, no snail mail, no phone call to a long time cardholder in good standing??? I tried to log into my account - I couldn't - tried to call them - I couldn't.

They are open like 8-5 Central Time M-F (maybe not the exact hours, but they aren't like a real credit company that is 24/7). Finally - I figured out that there is a new website for the Redcard and after 30 minutes of frustration, I am in...and OMG - the late fees! And the charges my kids made! And WHY didn't I receive an e-statement for those months??? I have scoured my email looking. I received statements until Sep 2018 and I received email from them after 5 Dec (when I called them), but not in between. No, it isn't in SPAM. I am a network engineer - I can work Email. I did not receive it. But I did pay the card off right away once I got in online. Maybe I should not have. Maybe that pittance of an amount owed was my leverage - I'll never know. Because I pay my bills. If I know about them.

Then came dealing with the horrible, just couldn't be worse if you paid them, customer service. I spent 6 hours over two days being treated like a degenerate. Being told to report my kids for fraud (really, I don't do it justice, the tone in her voice is still in my head). Repeatedly explaining to them that I am disputing this because I was not notified in writing per the Fair Credit Act. I was banging my head against a wall in a blank white room (NOT literally). None of my time and frustration got me anywhere but angry and helpless and hopeless.

I have closed the account. My credit has its one and only ding on it - ever. If I could talk to the board of that company - I would say to them what I said to many of the customer service people I spoke to along the way...For 11 years, I generated revenue for you. I was a great consumer. I gave Target gift cards and talked about how much I loved this or that about the store.

Now, over a small amount of money and a ding to my credit - you have lost me as a customer forever. I will tell many people about this. I will teach my kids not to go to Target and never get a RedCard, they will tell their friends, and it will spread. Seems like a poor business decision. I wonder how much better off Target (now I understand why they are declining) would be if they had a small department of people that made a courtesy call to longtime, good standing cardholders with a "reminder" to pay their bill! Shoot - this could be a IVR and not a person, even. Target - YOU COULD BE BETTER!!! I sure wish you were.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have problems logging on every time and then two of my payments were not credited to my account and they sent me to collections. Worst yet all computerized. No human being to talk to. This is the worst and now they are ruining my credit!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Hello -- The bottom line is that they cancel your credit card (the REDcard) if you haven't used it for six months. This seems like an unwise business practice if it is intended to encourage return customers. It is also irritating as I ended up changing passwords on my still active REDcard online account only to be told my PIN was wrong. When I got to the store and asked what was wrong (since my PIN WASN'T WRONG), the telephone service said that my card had been canceled after six months of non-use. I asked them to turn it back on and they said I should reapply. Totally not worth re-applying, especially with the six-month rule. My interest in shopping at Target has now decreased.

More detail -- I live in a rural town without a Target, but there was a period when I would regularly make the 75 minute trip to the nearest Target (they had my dog's favorite food). They stopped stocking the food so I haven't been to Target for a couple of years, but Christmas is coming and, good for them, they had the hot Nintendo device that asked for at the 11th hour. I ordered it online for pickup the next day. (That pickup experience worked well, and the customer service at the store was pleasant.) I ended up purchasing the device with my Amazon credit card (at Target). No big deal really, but I did not appreciate wasting my time with the dead card, and it seems a poor business practice -- particularly when I was given no notice that my card would be canceled for non-use.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Awful since they "updated" the experience. I haven't been able to log in without changing all four of my challenge questions despite having the correct username and password. I have no idea what I owe or when. AVOID THIS SCAM. NEVER opt out of mailed statements. Never assume they have your best interests at heart.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Since their site "redesign" and "update" I have been unable to log in 2 time without being forced to reset all of my security questions. In addition this new system does not play nice with either of the bill pay solutions I usually use making it even more annoying and inconvenient to make the payments. I will be paying off the remainder of what I owe them but have already destroyed the card, I have no intention to continue using the busted payment portal any longer than needed and I would recommend that nobody subject themselves to it.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Since Target started a new online system in September, we have been getting locked out every couple of weeks. It takes 15-30 min. to get service. They let us back in, but we just get locked out again. The person I spoke with today did not see any history on our account, and had no record of anyone ever speaking with us before. This problem clearly needs to be escalated, but I have not yet found anyone who is able or willing to do that. By now, I am pretty sure that this is the worst Customer Disservice experience I have had in the 20-odd years of online credit-card accounts. I would certainly warn others against the Target Red Card.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The card is not that beneficial and has so many different ways to try and make the consumer pay extra fees any way possible. If you pay online there are ridiculous hour restrictions to have your payment processed. The phone payment automation is ridiculously annoying (and has hour restrictions, as well), the customer service for the card is also not helpful at all, yet they set inflexible restrictions on online payments. They are impossible! Even to get through to their unhelpful staff it is the most annoying process I’ve ever gone through compared to any other company I’ve ever called. They stand well above any card or company in terrible customer service! I wish I could rate it zero stars.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Tried to contact "guest services" about a bill I never got and now I have to pay a late charge. No one was available, hours are from 5am to 7pm CT, it does not say this ANYWHERE on the website. Tried to cancel my card, because who wants to deal with a company who does not send a bill and then charges a late fee, and you cannot do it except over the phone during the above hours. Lame.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have been a red cardholder since 2011. On two occasions now I have not received my e-statement and when the next statement comes, I have a late fee assessed. I have never been late on any payment (when I receive me e-statement via email!) When I called to question why I never received my e-statement, the response I get is, "Well maybe it went into your junk folder!" My response, "Well why is the statement I just received five seconds ago not in my junk folder." After the first time, I assumed it was probably my fault, an accidental deletion on my part. After the second time, I now know this is just a scam on their part to collect late fees.

So I called this morning to close my account. Went through the grueling process of their automated system, and was TWICE disconnected after giving my story about why I wanted to close my account. Third time, I finally yelled enough to have the representative stay on the line instead of placing me on hold. Once I finally got to the right person, the process took only a few seconds. I am so glad that I closed my account and will never shop at Target again because of this horrible experience (and I'd like to say I was an avid Target shopper!)

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

It seems that I am not the only one to have had a problem with Target. Many are the same problem accompanied with lousy customer service and not getting problem resolved. I tried for over an hour and kept getting transferred for a total of 5 people. Never got to the 5th one cause was disconnected. I was charged for a gift card that (electronically) never received. I was charged when it supposedly transmitted. I waited for well beyond the suggested 4 hour wait time. I called customer service and was told they are having trouble with the links and the only thing they could do was issue a credit.

They issued the credit but the charge appeared on my November statement. They gave me a bunch of double talk that the billing was for purchases in September and October. My account is current and have never missed a payment. I had enough of it and decided to pay the bill and get rid of the Target card and Target once and for all. I am passing my comments on to make folks aware and be careful with Target.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I was a customer for a long time with this company. I ran into an issue with them recently regarding my online account which affected my credit account. After multiple messages, they showed no concern for my issue nor tried to get more details to try to resolve the issue. They just did not care. I was very disappointed with this company and expected better. I unfortunately decided to close my account after experiencing this horrible service. They could've done so much better but failed and lost a customer.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Signed up for electronic statements but never actually received them. They just kept assessing late fees. I had a couple removed but they forgot again and was assessed more. Tried to call customer service but could not get through to a live operator, I finally figured out that if you repeatedly press 0 then a live operator will answer. That was not helpful at all. I paid in full and closed my account but was told that I would be assessed interest and would still need to pay that. On 0 balance I will have interest which I will probably forget to pay and it will go to collection. WTF!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The worst customer service you could possibly get, I got charged a finance charge on my card and I called customer service, after 20 minute wait time first time whoever answered the phone hanged up, so we got disconnected. I called again and 12 min been on hold. The representative was worthless, I am explaining and you could see on my statement that returns were made and payments were made. The balance should be zero so there is no finance charge should be on my credit card. I always pay in full, never carry balance. Again, if you can avoid using this credit card please do so, as you will get financed charge doesn't matter what, do not use Target REDcard.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

It is always hard to log onto Target site to pay the bill. But today, I was not able to get on at all. It will not accept my logon and password. I have not changed info and I have always had a difficult time but this is too much. I am going to the store and pay off this weekend and close account. I fear it will cause me to be late or credit reporting issues and I am not having that because Target chooses to not have an easy way to log on to manage my account. I wished I could have given no stars at all. Bye Target!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Same experience as post on Sept. 20. Redcard claims my sister's routing number was wrong. No papers to show their mistake. This is a scam, charging people a fee they don't owe. My sister's bank said there was no mistake with the routing number. Redcard is fraudulent. Customer be aware, your credit score goes down when you get their card. No tangible proof of routing mistake. Your mistake Redcard money will not be paid!! And to say that they cannot clear their mistake, really...

Target Credit Card Company Information