Target Credit Card
Based on 336 reviews that contain star ratings

Target Credit Card

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

348 Target Credit Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have been a red cardholder since 2011. On two occasions now I have not received my e-statement and when the next statement comes, I have a late fee assessed. I have never been late on any payment (when I receive me e-statement via email!) When I called to question why I never received my e-statement, the response I get is, "Well maybe it went into your junk folder!" My response, "Well why is the statement I just received five seconds ago not in my junk folder." After the first time, I assumed it was probably my fault, an accidental deletion on my part. After the second time, I now know this is just a scam on their part to collect late fees.

So I called this morning to close my account. Went through the grueling process of their automated system, and was TWICE disconnected after giving my story about why I wanted to close my account. Third time, I finally yelled enough to have the representative stay on the line instead of placing me on hold. Once I finally got to the right person, the process took only a few seconds. I am so glad that I closed my account and will never shop at Target again because of this horrible experience (and I'd like to say I was an avid Target shopper!)

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

It seems that I am not the only one to have had a problem with Target. Many are the same problem accompanied with lousy customer service and not getting problem resolved. I tried for over an hour and kept getting transferred for a total of 5 people. Never got to the 5th one cause was disconnected. I was charged for a gift card that (electronically) never received. I was charged when it supposedly transmitted. I waited for well beyond the suggested 4 hour wait time. I called customer service and was told they are having trouble with the links and the only thing they could do was issue a credit.

They issued the credit but the charge appeared on my November statement. They gave me a bunch of double talk that the billing was for purchases in September and October. My account is current and have never missed a payment. I had enough of it and decided to pay the bill and get rid of the Target card and Target once and for all. I am passing my comments on to make folks aware and be careful with Target.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I was a customer for a long time with this company. I ran into an issue with them recently regarding my online account which affected my credit account. After multiple messages, they showed no concern for my issue nor tried to get more details to try to resolve the issue. They just did not care. I was very disappointed with this company and expected better. I unfortunately decided to close my account after experiencing this horrible service. They could've done so much better but failed and lost a customer.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Signed up for electronic statements but never actually received them. They just kept assessing late fees. I had a couple removed but they forgot again and was assessed more. Tried to call customer service but could not get through to a live operator, I finally figured out that if you repeatedly press 0 then a live operator will answer. That was not helpful at all. I paid in full and closed my account but was told that I would be assessed interest and would still need to pay that. On 0 balance I will have interest which I will probably forget to pay and it will go to collection. WTF!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The worst customer service you could possibly get, I got charged a finance charge on my card and I called customer service, after 20 minute wait time first time whoever answered the phone hanged up, so we got disconnected. I called again and 12 min been on hold. The representative was worthless, I am explaining and you could see on my statement that returns were made and payments were made. The balance should be zero so there is no finance charge should be on my credit card. I always pay in full, never carry balance. Again, if you can avoid using this credit card please do so, as you will get financed charge doesn't matter what, do not use Target REDcard.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

It is always hard to log onto Target site to pay the bill. But today, I was not able to get on at all. It will not accept my logon and password. I have not changed info and I have always had a difficult time but this is too much. I am going to the store and pay off this weekend and close account. I fear it will cause me to be late or credit reporting issues and I am not having that because Target chooses to not have an easy way to log on to manage my account. I wished I could have given no stars at all. Bye Target!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Same experience as post on Sept. 20. Redcard claims my sister's routing number was wrong. No papers to show their mistake. This is a scam, charging people a fee they don't owe. My sister's bank said there was no mistake with the routing number. Redcard is fraudulent. Customer be aware, your credit score goes down when you get their card. No tangible proof of routing mistake. Your mistake Redcard money will not be paid!! And to say that they cannot clear their mistake, really...

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

A week after I went school shopping at Target I paid off my Target Red Card balance online. I never received a notification that the payment had posted. So a few days later I checked my account to find that my payment HAD posted. So I decided to check again a few days later to be sure the balance was updated. It was not. So I called the customer service number and after asking the barely English speaking employee if I could speak to a manager Jessica, the supervisor, tells me it’s a problem with the bank routing number. So we rectify the issue and I pay off my balance... again. The next day (today) I receive a notice in the mail telling me that my credit card account has been CLOSED. Yes, closed.

Well, yesterday, Jessica said nothing about my account being closed; in fact, she was instructing me on alternate ways of paying balances in the future. So I called back just now and spoke to a supervisor named Brittany who apologized but told me there was nothing they could do. SO. To sum up - I paid off my Target Red Card balance a week after my purchase, one week later, with ZERO notice AT ALL, my credit card account is closed by Target. AND THERE’S NOTHING THEY CAN DO. I haven’t even had the card a month. This credit card company is a joke at best.

I keep reading that the Target Red Card credit card company seems very small and unprofessional - I should have been warned by the horribly chintzy website. Most reviews I’ve read consistently state that the Target card company does NOT notify of problems with payment or auto payments that aren’t working anymore so they can just go ahead and wreck your credit etc without even a hint that something is amiss. I'm done with Target. I hope they fall apart. STAY AWAY FROM TARGET RED CARD.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I attempted to change my checking account when moving and it apparently did not go through - I was never notified that it did not go through and they ended up drafting my old account that I was in the process of closing. I did not receive normal notifications that they were charging my old account until 4 days later! Every time I have used my RedCard, I receive a notification almost instantly that the $ is coming out of my account.

I now have $185 in overdraft fees since they drafted the funds out of my account I am closing due to the move and all Target can say is, "We cannot see that you changed your account on the 13th" while refusing to acknowledge that if they could see it, we wouldn't have a problem! I never received confirmation via email or app that my checking account was changed, even when I called to confirm it. This is extremely poor customer service and I am out $185, not Target. I will take my $ somewhere else and encourage all of my teacher friends to do the same. Supporting teachers is just a marketing campaign for Target. They do not really care about their customers, especially their teacher customers.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have been a REDcard holder since 2005. I use the card frequently, pay in full monthly, and have it set to autopay generated from Target's end so I haven't encountered any issues with late fees. In short, I've never had a reason to contact Card Services before. I am in the process of securing a mortgage. Like I mentioned earlier, I use the card frequently. Last month I charged $19 on the account, with a minimum payment of $19. This came up on my application for the mortgage, it didn't show that the $19 was not still outstanding. The underwriters requested a zero balance letter to include with my application. I didn't think much of it. How hard could it be to get that? In fact, I had to request it for my Sam's Club Mastercard as well, which I use for groceries but pay in full each month and that was a breeze. Not only did they send it to my lender, they also dropped a copy of it in the mail for me.

I called Target with my request and the representative was rude and impatient. I knew she must have been having a bad day when she ended the call with a terse bye. Outside of that call, I can't recall the last time a CSR hung up without asking if there was anything else they could assist me with? I was uncomfortable with the exchange because I was told they could not send an electronic letter (a pdf emailed to the lender or myself) and that the full account number would need to be listed on the letter. (I was told that my options were to have it mailed to myself, which would take 10 business days, or to fax it to my lender.) I opted to have them fax the letter to my lender and prayed that the account info would remain in safe hands. I was told the lender would have it in 24-48 hours. Ten days later, the lender still had not received it.

I contacted Card Services again and was told that the letter had been faxed. Chase hadn't received it so I again put in the request. This time I gave them a different fax number to try. The processor, who was also waiting on this information, asked that they send it directly to her. Two days later I received a call from the lending officer. She and the processor had touched base and while everything else was in place, neither had received the zero balance letter from Target. (Is this really what's going to hold up my closing!!) She asked that I try Target a third time, but suggested I call the local store directly, explain the situation, and ask for a number other than Card Services. The manager was pleasant and gladly passed on the number to Guest Services. He really seemed to believe that if I was having unresolved issues, Guest Services would be able to help.

I called the number, which was a different number than the one on the back of my card, and was connected to the same Card Services department I'd been speaking to before. This latest agent listened kindly, looked into my account, and reassured me that this third try would stick. She told me she'd put a rush on it and so the bank should receive it in 24-48 hours (exactly the same time frame I'd been given with the other two calls so I'm not sure how that is a rush job). She also told me that the notes reflected that I had requested the full account number be included in the letter but that they were unable to do that. They could only include the last four numbers. I laughed out loud because when the first CSR told me the full account had to be included, I'd asked if we could just show the last four digits and she told me that wasn't how it was done.

The third CSR was by far the friendliest and most helpful but she didn't really provide new information and it remains to be seen if the problem (why is this even a problem?!) will actually be resolved. As a side note, my balance is still zero so I am hopeful that the first letter(s) with the full account info never existed and I can stop worrying about the account being compromised. I'll keep watching for any activity on the card.

Original review: May 17, 2018

24.15% and have the credit card and change banking institutes. They don't notify you until collection that auto-payments aren't going thru even though you updated account info on debit card. They don't connect more too. They contact you until they've done damage to your credit rating... Suck on Target Red Card!!! You'll not get another dime of interest ever from me.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I received a call saying my account was compromised but they would not give me any information. They asked for very personal Id such as Social Security card and driver's license front and back. Every time I faxed info they would add more than they wanted to see. The company must be very small as I kept getting the same arrogant people who were of no help. My account was frozen for no reason and no way to straighten it out. It’s the worse company I have ever dealt with in my life and I don’t see how they stay in business.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I used my bank’s online payment to pay my Target Redcard in the amount of $44.05 in January of 2018. I received my statement in February which stated I owed $44.05 plus a substantial late charge. I contacted Target Card Services and filed a merchant dispute. It turns out I sent the payment to an old Target Credit Card that I no longer used. I opened a new Target Card last Christmas to get the discount on a new purchase. I agreed that I made an error but Target still cashed the check. This has been a nightmare. I have been going back and forth between my bank and Target Card Services since February of this year. My bank has submitted documentation to prove the money was sent to Target several times but Target still insists they did not receive the money and sends me another bill. Target insists the money was sent back to my bank but I never received a credit to my account. Very unprofessional. I will never use the Target Redcard again.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Horrible customer service policies. I submitted my payment over a week in advance just for them to charge me a $10 fee for returned payment. I caught the issue early enough so that I could still get them the funds before the due date and they weren't willing to do a courtesy one time waiver. For doing business with them for over 10 years it's unfortunate that they lost a customer over a $10 fee even though they still received their payment before the due date.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Ok so you can be awesome pay your card on time for YEARSSS and then you mess up by paying a few days late (like I did in July 2017 due to a death in the family) and pay right away and ask for late fee of $35 to be refunded, which they said they would after chastising me like if I was a child. THEN here I am March 2018 and again I paid ONE day late, yes ONE day I have a lot of things going on and no Target is not the only card in my life so I call them ask them to PLEASE credit me $35. I use their card all of the time, my husband has one as well, they get more than enough with the interest fees etc. and they say NOOO because I was already credited once in July of 2017! I'm like ok... Well sorry things happen, I speak to 2 different people, message, etc and they REFUSE, I've never dealt with a company like this! CHASE is super understanding, I recommend Chase Freedom card!!! Screw TARGET!

Original review: March 26, 2018

Please check your Target.com Red Card bills. They are overcharging the amount that you are given at the time of purchase. Their bill is set up to confuse you with numerous odd amounts for each item you purchase. I was supposed to get two FREE $5 gift cards with purchase. I was charged for them and also was charged tax! When I called them, they said the cards were charged but the amount was adjusted - it was not. When I asked about the extra money I was charged they said it was extra tax. Huh? For what? They can't account for the money either and I argued four times with them. If they do this for every Red Card customer every month imagine how much $ Target is making!

Original review: March 23, 2018

In November I made a purchase and again in December. Early January I received a call that my account was past due. I paid it in full while on the phone figuring I must have missed a paying a bill. Just last week (March 2018) I got a call that my account was 3 months past due. I have not received a Target bill at all and have not used my card since December. Looking into it more, the past due is from a Dec 20th purchase - so when I told them to pay my balance in full over the phone, they left out a purchase I had made 3 weeks prior since it was not "due" yet. So, was charged $38x4 in late fees since November of 2017 without actually receiving a bill telling me that I owed money. They did refund 2 of the late fees but claimed that is the most they can credit back. They also had the ridiculous suggestion that I call regularly the check on my balance. I cancelled my card and will only be using Target as a last resort from here on out.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I purchase an average of 1 item a month online from Target and have paid my credit and balance on time, in full every month. I have a current balance of $138 due to be paid in 8 days. I'm trying to purchase a $90 gift from their gift registry and it won't accept my REDcard as payment. After much time and numerous phone calls I found out they have a credit limit on my account of only $200. So until they receive my $138 payment I can not purchase this gift item. I have a credit score of 820 and called Target credit and asked to have my limit raised from $200 to $300. They told me they would submit the request and I will receive a letter from Target to let me know if the additional $100 will be allowed.

I was told it will take "1, 2 or 3 months" to hear back from them. I will pay me $138 balance early so I can purchase the gift the person is registered for. Then I'll never spend another penny at Target. Having to wait up to 3 months to approve a $100 credit increase when I have an 820 credit score is RIDICULOUS. I've worked in the financial industry for years. It takes 1 minute to pull a credit bureau and see EVERY bill in my entire life has been paid in full on or before its due date.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I use this card but I try and make payments in full at the end of the month. Each time I do, Target holds the payment for 15 days! Each time I've had to call them to "release my funds early" so that I can use my credit line. Each time I've called or emailed them, its a very different reason why they do this (and mind you, it's the only card I own that does this). They claim it's for fraud protection. In case people make a payment to the wrong account (wtf? so everyone has to be penalized for those few?). They claim it's because if it's a young account, they don't have a history of payment established yet. This is the real shady answer - They say they do it for all for protection but they recommend not making a payment as large so that the payment is not delayed... most people adjust. WTF? So don't make a large enough payment so you can accrue interest?

All this is BS and it seems like it.s just a way to take your funds and leave them in a money market account long enough to generate additional interest for profit. Not to protect the consumer. I've attached the latest email from them trying to explain this and basically reiterate that they released my funds again after yet another call.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

On February 1, 2018 I scheduled a payment on my banks online bill pay section for my Target REDcard for the total statement balance of $1,136.18. The payment was scheduled for February 6, 2018, and my bank delivered it on time. On February 7, I noticed that the amount had not been debited from my checking account. On February 8, 2018 I checked my bank account again, and when I did not see that the payment had been debited, I called Target REDcard services, and I spoke to a representative who told me that they had not received my payment. On February 9, 2018 I called Target REDcard again at 2:32 PM, and I got the automated system which indicated that no payment had been made and prompted me to make a payment over the phone to avoid a late fee because my due date was on Sunday February 11, 2018.

I was leaving town that day, and I had no time to stop by my bank, so I went ahead and made a payment on the automated system to avoid having to pay an extra fee. On Monday February 12, 2018 two payments of $1,136.18 were debited simultaneously from my checking account causing my account to become overdrawn. I contacted Target Card and I was told that the first payment would take 48 hours to processed, a second, third and fourth representative confirmed that the payment was processed on February 8, 2018 (48 hours after it was received). However, Target REDcard is refusing to credit me back my money, or refund me for my insufficient funds fee from my bank. On the first call the representative who was supposed to be in the refunds department hung up the phone, when I ask to speak to her supervisor.

On the second call I spoke to a representative named Jamal, who transferred me to Will ID **, who transferred me to a representative named Kim, who refused to give me any identifier, then I was transferred to a representative named Courtney who refused to give me an ID, but stated that she was at ext. **, then I was transferred to a supervisor named Filomena ID **, then I was transferred to someone else in Arizona, and all these during the second call. I spoke to three other people before the last representative on the first call hung up the phone on me. This company is a joke. They cannot process a payment timely. Their automated system does not provide accurate information. The representatives are extremely rude, and totally inefficient. When I requested a refund be sent to me electronically for the additional payment they refused.

Even though they have record of me calling on February 9 through the automated system, they have no record of me calling and talking to a live agent the day before. When they told me that they had to send me a refund via UPS, I asked them for a tracking number, and I was told by Courtney at ext. ** that she could not provide me one. When I asked her to e-mail me the UPS link she stated that she could not send me an e-mail - Yes, as unreal as it sounds in 2018 Target REDcard Mastercard representatives cannot e-mail you a simple UPS link or credit the same account electronically that they debited one day earlier. Unfortunately, I have to give them one star because this system does not allow me to give them ZERO stars, which is what they deserve. Believe me, this crappy card is not worth the miserable 5% discount you get at their stores.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have spent the last 2 years, 2 times a month calling and talking with Target credit card services because they have completely destroyed my credit and have charged me beyond imaginable from mistakes they have made. They're even dumb enough to tell me they looked back in the notes and saw that the last person clearly specified in there that they were doing something they weren't suppose to and then they go and do it themselves and it's literally a never ending cycle or ** not having any clue what they're doing. I will never shop at another Target again and I surely hope they go out of business just because of how completely stupid everyone working card services is.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I did not receive the Red Card in the mail, so received a cryptic email telling me to activate my card and to call a specific number if I had not yet received it. When I called that number, the automated voice on the line repeated the request to "enter my card number" 28 times. The only reason I waited 28 times to hear that message was that there was literally zero customer service number on the web that did not request me to enter my card number so I could ask what was going on.

The person on the line, once I got through, did not speak good English and after my explaining about my card not arriving, hung up on me without getting the information to get a new card. Then, after a 2nd time, the customer service person said I should expect the card in 6-10 days. I didn't receive it again. I called the line again, they said they were not able to close my account, and are sending the card a 3rd time. I have charged nothing on the card, have no card and can't apparently cancel the card.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I paid my card in full online each month. One month they processed it a day late and charged me a fee. I was never sent a notice of the late fee. They kept adding late fees each month until they finally sent one to me on the mail! I paid for all my merchandise and somehow now have 148 in ONLY late fees. This is absurd as I paid the first late fee even though I don’t believe it was in my control they took my payment a day later than scheduled. Called so many times and they haven’t helped at all. They twist the verbiage and type incorrect comments in your account. Worst customer service next to Xfinity and Comcast...

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I bought $400 worth of items at Target Wareham, MA but I did not have my Target REDcard. The cashier told me I could go to any Target same day and get the 5% back in my account. So I went to the Marlborough, MA Target with the Redcard and receipt and they promptly told me that I needed to go to the original store of purchase to get the 5% back. What gives? Same chain, same system, same everything, just a different location. I don't know if this is store policy, technology limitation, or clueless workers, but what a joke. IF YOU HAVE A RED CARD, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT WITH YOU AT TIME OF PURCHASE OR THEY WILL SCREW YOU. Just a word of advice. Signed, screwed and really aggravated.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I initially had pleasant experiences with my Redcard customer service. Then I had the misfortune of a 2 month period of unemployment and 2 missed payments. My attempt to work out a payment plan did not go well as the customer service rep was rude and unhelpful. It is on me to make payments on time but my experiences with my other credit card companies at least provided me with suggestions and possible solutions. I should have listened to one friends, who previously worked at Target, who warned me not to fool with Target and their Redcard.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

My card was locked for insane reasons. I sent over faxes to clear it up and they said someone has been calling who isn’t me. Which I know is untrue I’ve been calling to check on everything. I’m a loyal customer since 2009 and this is how I get treated very unfairly. I will cancel my card and never pay a dime since they won’t help me. I’m not doing squat for them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I'd give zero stars if allowed. Calling the various customer service phone numbers, you're prompted to enter a card number 6 times before being given the option to report a lost or stolen card. Very few people would have the patience to be prompted 6 times. This is clearly an intentionally malicious obstacle. Alicia was my customer service representative and was entirely helpful. There were no problems or difficulties. I don't know why Target's phone service needs to prep customers to feel rage before connecting them with their employees.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I thought I was applying for the record that came out of your debit account. I received no late notice from this company. When I noticed a 60 past due I called the company to let them know that's had not intended to apply for their credit card. Paid the original charge and interest but requested a waiver of the late fees. I was told they do not waive late fees after 30 days which makes no sense, how can you encounter late fees if you aren't past due? I requested a supervisor and was told one was not available and to correspond on writing. I sent a letter with no answer. Keep receiving calls that another late fee has been added so at this point I'm being charged $40 every month for late fees!!! They make no concession to help with the fees at all!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I have not been able to access my Target account at all. My card was paid off. Target will not remove fraud charges and each month they send me statements adding more charges and creating huge sum of money due. In fact they added different charges which made the card have a higher balance than it did when this fraud started back in April.

I had the card paid off. They keep removing charges and then add a ton back on. I have talked to so many people that claim they are "supervisors" but then they end up saying I have to talk to Julie-who was nasty to me, the one and only time she was available. I have called so many times and no one will do anything.

This headache has been going on since March and the hours and hours of time and I can't get anyone to help! I got 1 letter saying they removed the charges but then they added different charges that were removed in the beginning that were fraud and still leave me with charges I shouldn't have. I want as many people to know about Targets REDcard so they don't live this 6 month nightmare! I don't know what to do?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Website appears so broken to me. Always locked out of my online account. Supposedly I need their security but I do wonder if it isn't deliberate. My nightmare! Spent over an hour two days ago trying to reach someone to unlock account. No clear option on menu. Twice a person I reached put me on hold and call cut out. Now I'm a day late so it hurts my otherwise excellent credit. Target you suck.

Target Credit Card Company Information