Target Credit Card

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

TARGET CHARGED ME A $27 FEE for a stop payment which was done by my bank. I owed around $50 but bank sent in payment to Target for around $5000. It was a big clerical error but Target doesn't care but slaps on a big fee after I have paid on time over 5 years with them. I paid the original bill owed but then they still want to charge me the $27. After talking to 3 people at corporate, they won't take off the fee for nothing. My balance is half of the fee that was sent by my bank and they should have known it was a mistake.

Target charge me twice for the red card 5% off program. I paid for the products in the store. Have receipts to prove it. I ask customer service to refund my 5%. They wind up putting full amount on the red card when I ask them to only put the 5%. Customer service assure me that would fixed the problem and yet and still they are saying I still owe them. Target is very unprofessional about this services. Please do not use their red card. You will be sorry later.

I paid off my REDcard on April 12 (check sent on the 10th). On June 3, I received a bill for $86.97 in late fees - one for April and one for May. This is the first I've been notified. The statement closing date is on the 25th of each month. So my payment to pay off the bill was received by Target thirteen days before the closing date. I tried calling both numbers on the statement and got only a recording.

3rd call - a number from the internet 888-608-7627 same recording. 4th call - 1800-440-0680 #3 #1 got me a real person who told me to call 1800-424-6888. I reached a real person! Tiesha, who hung up on me under the guise of putting me on hold to retrieve information. 5th call - same number as above, got a recording. 6th call - I thought the 5th call was dialed wrong - recording. 7th call - I got a new real person, Jill, with an American accent. Finally someone who will help me. She took my last name and phone number to give to a supervisor who would help me with the charges. She put me on hold and then there was a click that disconnected me. Does anyone know how to get these charges reversed? Email me at **.

I have had a credit score of over 800 for years. Target Red Card has RUINED my credit score. I had a $29 charge that carried for over 75 days. I PAY MY BILLS AS SOON AS THEY ARRIVE. I never got a bill for the $29. The ONLY way that I knew my credit was in the tank was because I looked at Credit Karma since I am a senior and going to sell my home and move into a senior rental. NOW THAT IS A BIG PROBLEM. I called Target to find out what happened, why they didn't bill me, they insisted that they did. They said that I had elected paperless billing... OK, that would be fine if they sent me an emailed bill... THEY DID NOT. The Target representative told me it was my responsibility to look at my Target account online each month and make the payment. REALLY??? Then the person I spoke to said she couldn't help fix my credit but she could take the payment over the phone then and there. Hmmm... I use Bill Pay on my checking account.

I hung up and took care of it after letting her know what I thought. I paid the bill when I hung up but my credit is in the toilet. Oddly, yesterday and again today (FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE December WHEN I JOINED TARGET RED CARD) I got an email telling me to log in and see how much I owed or disregard if I had paid. I cut my card in half, wrote a letter to the CEO of Target, and will never enter another Target store as long as I live. Don't do it... it isn't worth it. Stay out of their lousy stores. I was talked to in a manner like I have never been in my 69 years by the witch on the phone who was happy to do nothing more than take my payment!! VISA cards are better. You get points and I don't know about interest since I pay my bills as soon as I get them, but you have to get them to pay them... no phone call, no email... no paper bill, no nothing, just a bad credit score now.

I have never paid off things late. This has been stressing me for months. They gave me a temporary card number on a receipt. It deactivated after a week and I never received my card. I went into the store 3 times since to pay it off but they said they can't help. I've tried calling and paying but since I don't have a card it's only automated and no option to pay it without. I tried making an account online using my social or the date I started the card and both say incorrect when it shows on my credit report the date it was activated. They make it impossible for you to pay it off and it really hurts your credit score. I'm hoping I don't have to file a lawsuit but I'm pretty sure that's the only way to get out of this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target?

I paid off my Target account in the fall. In December, I ordered a new Target card but was not told they charge a $15 to get a Target card to buy goods at their store! I tried to get on my account to check it in Feb., couldn't access the account. Thought it was strange but I had completely paid off my account so wasn't terribly worried. I finally was notified by my credit watch group that Target had turned me over to the credit bureaus for this $15 fee they charged me, that I had no knowledge of. They never tried to contact me or notify me but have turned me over 3 times now and the fee is up to now $19.

I can pay the fee without difficulties of course but that's not the issue. They have destroyed my perfect credit! Their customer service is horrible. I've called the dispute line multiple times and have been told by Harold and Kamal that they would "redate" the account and fix it but never heard from either of them again, won't take my calls and still haven't fixed the account.

I'm reporting this to every agencies I can because this appears to be a scam very similar to what Wells Fargo was doing charging people fees that they knew nothing about, opening accounts without their knowledge. Watch your account very closely. Very sad because I was a loyal, excellent customer who had paid my account off completely multiple times. Really sad Target!

Red Card. I was having trouble paying my bill. So they agreed to let me pay $22 a month. I came into some money and I went to the store and paid off the whole thing which was over $500. I called and made sure the card was closed. Even my credit report says it's paid off. They keep sending me a bill for $22 that has late payments every month. I tried to call several times about this matter. They won't listen still insisting I owe them now which is $70. I just throw the bills in the trash. Do not ever get a card from this company.

This spring my wife decided to get a Target credit card. We used it and was very simple to use like most credit cards, however when it came to paying the bill it was not that simple. I always pay in full for the entire bill the day it came in the mail, This happened for 2 or 3 times in a row and every time it was assessed a late fee of $27.00, what a scam with the billing department. I live in South Dakota and the billing came from Dallas, TX. It takes at least 7 days to get a bill where I live. Post dates are not looked at or even considered. So my recommendation is to pay with other credit cards or pay at the store at the time of purchase. Do not use Target Credit Cards at all. These billing agents can find another job by working hard instead of sitting all day collecting late fees...

Have a target red card and gave updated bank acct info for future payments. Somehow the person {rep} left off a number from the acct and first payment got returned. {Was not a payment due} So I finally figured out what the probLem was and corrected it online. Next payment goes through perfectly and they won't release the payment to reflect the accurate available credit. So I send messages via their Chat line. I can three-way call with my bank. I say now it has been nearly 10 days since payment made and cleared my acct. Finally after several messages they fix it.

Just made another payment. All good and no issues but once again they are refusing to reflect the available credit accurately. Once again via online chat with a rep they won't fix it. I intend to pay off the balance soon and close the account. Don't need to be treated like this by a company that has had a lot of problems in the past. I would not recommend them. The other reviews support this viewpoint

I had to pay my statement yesterday and forgot. A few hours later, this morning, I was on the phone with a manager called Pilar. She said she was removing the late fee $27. Then, she change her mind and pretended she couldn't. Last time I was late was May 27, 2016 and I am always paying the statement balance in full. These people treat the client like dirt and have absolutely no respect.

I had closed my account with Target years ago and have been paying down on my REDcard. I decided to combine this account and another to pay off but I was not able to get my account number. So I can't pay it off. I am very very frustrated with Target. I will not shop at Target again. I think I have found a way to be able to pay it off but wont say now. I will let you know if I succeeded.

I have had a Target Red Card for awhile now and have had nothing but problems with it. I heard it was so great to have and would save me money. It's been nothing but a pain. I was unable to change my address when I applied for one and so the first one got sent to the wrong address. After that it took them forever to send me my new card and my first bill. I couldn't set up an online account because I didn't have the new card. I was told after I got the card I would receive my first bill. When I did I had a massive late fee. I paid it because it might been the fault of the post office rather than Target.

After I got it they said I needed my checking information to paying online. I am under my boyfriend checking account and don't have access to that information. He honestly didn't know what it was. So I would just go into the store to pay it but I recently moved to a rural area outside of town and its an hour drive to get to town now. I got the checking information set up on the Target account and went to go pay it just to find out it was too late and past their online payment deadline for the day. I was furious I was never told there was even a deadline. I ended up paying the late fee even though it was still on that day.

So today I am struggling to get into my account and I call them thinking I still have time to pay it online to find out I am an hour past the time. Last time I was late I swear it told me 6 o'clock Central Time but the women on the phone tells me it's 5 o'clock Central Time. The lady on the phone tells me that she can take the payment but only if I know my check and routing number off the top of my head which I don't and couldn't get till tomorrow. I pretty much was told again that I would have a late fee to pay but maybe if I am eligible they would drop my late fee. When I asked what made me eligible the lady really couldn't say.

Seriously! Why is it so hard to pay this Red Card. I have tons of other cards and none of them have a payment deadline! Pay on the day its due and you are good. When I call them they help me out. Also they take debit cards if you need to pay that way. Target is so complicated and hard to pay. I am pay off the card and I am done shopping at Target. I usually buy most of my kids clothes and toys from there but forget it. Take my business elsewhere.

I paid my card in full, apparently after the "cut off" time. I was then charged a late fee on a $0 balance. And then the following month I was again charged a second late fee because of the balance due to the late fee. The kicker is that I never received a statement until after both late fees were assessed. I also never actually received my Red Card so I couldn't setup online autopayment or even create an online account. The statements were not being mailed consistently either. Target - I hope that $33 fee was worth a lifetime of my spending, because I will never shop at your store again.

I paid off my REDcard balance but somehow it left an outstanding $5.00 that was different than billing date. Nonetheless I do not get a statement and nor an email. I went to buy a car and when my credit was ran my score was low for being late 6 months on a credit card. When I got home I ran my report and it was my Target REDcard. With $13.00 now owed, yes they charged $1.00 each month in late fees and reported it as past due. Needless to say I'm more than upset and sent them an email. We'll see how they correct this. I would call but some poor employee would get blasted with more than one colorful word. DON'T USE THIS CARD EVER. THEY SUCK.

2 deaths in the family in 1 month, tried to work with these people, set up a re-payment plan and they ruined my credit score! I had A+ credit, missed only 1 payment and yet my credit report shows 3 missed payments! I have sent letter after letter and they do not respond, they want me to call and I say no, I do everything in writing for record keeping! I will go all the way to the top of this company if I have to taking down anyone in my path to get this resolved! They care nothing for their customers at all! Just want your money that's it!

In December my daughter lost her Target REDcard. We did not have the account number, no online access and wanted to make a payment. One calls the number for Target's REDcard and it asks for the card number -- it is an automated system that does not allow one to enter their social security number instead. It offers nothing except for the option to enter the card number. Both myself and my daughter drove to different Target stores. The store staff cannot accept payment for the REDcard??? Why??? Other credit card companies allow one to talk to a human. Not Target. When I called Corporate I spoke with a series of rude, confrontational and staff not interested in my complaint. They treated me like a deadbeat. Avoid Target credit cards. They run the program like idiots.

Target's REDcard is the most horrible card experience ever. The company’s late fees start at 35.00, and continue to add on 50.00 fees. After giving them my banking account number after 3 months of alleged payments they told me they had the wrong account number and that I had late fees because of that. So I closed the account. When I went to pay them the full balance in which I got a reference number they called me a month later to tell me they had the wrong account number again. I have never been so frustrated in my life with a company. If they had let me know immediately there was a problem instead of giving me bunk reference numbers I could've avoided these fees. I see it as a hustle. They want you to keep racking up interest and fees so they can get as much as they can. I just paid them again, this time with my debit card, hopefully they take my payment and I never have to deal with them again.

I got a letter from Target saying they would take my Target credit card because I have not used it in a long time (7 months). I prefer to use cash. However I went to Target yesterday to PURPOSELY to use it. I spent $90 then forgot to use it! Dummy me! Any other time they ask me if I'd like to use my card. I don't use it cuz I always forget my password... how embarrassing is that?

I have had a Target Credit Card since 2009 - I recently logged into my account, paid my bill and submitted a question. My question was, "IF I lost my card, are you able to go to the store and request a new one, or would I need to report is lost and request a new card via mail." So guess what Target does, instead of answering my question, they shut down my access to my account online, block my freaking card, don't contact me in any way. So annoyed!!! Do I really want to call in and go round and round with some moron who barely speaks English telling me my card was reported stolen. I NEVER reported it stolen.

Also, it tells you to call a number which is automated system that you HAVE to have your card number to get through. So, I have my card number, I have all my personal information and still cannot get unblocked? I asked a stupid question, while logged into my account when I was paying my freaking bill - Are criminals going to log in and pay my bill for me?? Effing morons. I'm paying off my card via snail mail and I will never deal with target again. Thank you for the ** customer service not only via your website, but when I called in to correct the error. Absolutely brainless employees.

I was balancing my checking account when I noticed two NSF fees, processed within a week for a Target balance. I called my bank and was informed that my Target Debit card had in fact attempted to collect funds. When I called Target I was informed that Target had in fact attempted to collect funds for a purchase I made. This began a twenty minute conversation concerning the fact the Target Debit Card was in fact not a debit card but a check card and that purchases made could take 1-4 business days to process, because the card was like a check. When I explained that I was told the card was a debit card, ie. if the funds were not available the card declined, the customer service rep. told me I was misinformed.

The card is a check card and my terms and conditioned clearly explained that if purchases were declined they would make 2-3 more attempts to retrieve funds. This would make sense, if I paid with a check or was paying a credit card bill. Bear in mind Target did not send me a bill for the balance. My recent bill stated I owed them nothing. Which would make sense, because I have a debit card! Target refused to refund the NSF fees, insisting that was an issue with my bank. So far I have been charged $60.00 for a $45.84. Do not get this card. It is not what they say it is.

After years shopping at Target I finally was persuaded to get a Target credit card, and it went downhill from the very beginning. The process did not take "2 minutes" as was promised. It took about 20 and held up the line for other customers. I was told that my receipt that day would serve as my card until my card arrived, in case I wanted to shop again. Lie #1. I tried to use my receipt twice and both times was told I could only use the card. My card never arrived. I called a month later and they said it should have arrived at my address in Texas. (I live in California and Texas.) It did not arrive either place.

After another 2 weeks I called and said to cancel the card; it wasn't worth it. I was transferred to 2 different people trying to get me to keep the card I never received. I declined. I confirmed my address was in CA not TX. The rep never told me I had a balance on the account. Lie by omission. I would think when closing an account, the company has a legal responsibility to tell you if you owe anything. It had been so long since applying for the card I'd forgotten that the groceries I bought the day I applied were charged to the card that I never received. Cut to: 5 months later I am back in Texas and there is one bill from Target. No card. One bill from August, 2 months after I applied for the card and 1 month after I canceled the card. Only then did I realize there was a balance on the card.

I called immediately because I thought someone else had received the card I was supposed to get, but was told I owed $95 for the in-store charges, but over $100 in late fees and interest. I paid the amount for the groceries, but told them I never received a card, only one statement to the incorrect address, so I should not be responsible for the fees. After 3 phone calls, confirming my address again, and speaking to a supervisor, I got nowhere and asked where I could write a letter to dispute these charges.

I wrote a letter to headquarters and received a letter back a month later (to my LA address) saying there was nothing they could do about the late charges. I called to just put it all behind me and pay them, and found out they were STILL CHARGING ME, after 6 phone calls, giving my LA address 6 different times, and writing a letter to dispute these charges, NOT ONCE was I told that my account would continue to incur fees. They kept saying "Per your cc agreement..." Well, i never received a cc agreement!!! I can not believe it is legal to intentionally not tell a cc holder that you have a balance or will incur fees after so many attempts to cancel a card I NEVER RECEIVED. What a horrid, unethical company.

I spoke to a Target representative to close and pay my Target Red card account. 8 months later I receive late fees. I call the customer service department to discuss what these late fees are about. I spoke to 5 people and each one said they will make a case. Every time I asked for a supervisor or manager I was referred another case number and advised I would get a call from a manager within 24-48 hours. A week and 3 days later I am still calling. Representatives are rude telling me why did I miss the call I was waiting for from a manager within the 24-48 hours. I finally get ahold of a corporate manager named Sarah and was very rude telling me that they will not help me with this account that was clearly closed 8 months ago.

My experience was very horrible. My advice to customer Target cardholders and those considering applying for one is to be aware of the late fees and the bad customer service. If you thought you closed your account, PLEASE make sure and call that it is closed. Clearly the representatives aren't here to help the customers but make money.

I have had many credit cards and perfect credit with lots of $ in my bank account to pay balance in full which I do on all credit cards. I have never experienced such awful customer service with an issue. They fully know what they are doing and it is a scam! The same as everyone else's complaints, charged a returned payment fee of $27, after signing up for auto-pay online. They do not alert you until after the due date that there was a problem with your account setup. I thought maybe I made a mistake and put in a wrong #, which they should alert you to if that is the case. Then I resubmitted bank info and the same thing happened.

Nothing online makes sense, you can not see your statements, you can not get to a representative until you reach the point of total frustration and threats, and then they email you that you need to hit # # # to get to a representative. This is consumer fraud at its finest, under the disguise of a well-loved and trusted company like Target. Terrible customer service. I closed my account and will no longer be giving Target my business or $.

Horrible RedCard customer service. I paid my account online. I put my bank routing number and checking account number in to pay my bill. I have had 2 return payments and they put my account into collections. After researching, it is discovered someone else's bank account is now attached to my account. After 5 hours, several rude customer service reps, being hung up on, I am told the only way someone else's account info is on my account is if I put it there and they won't help with glitches in their system. There is clearly a glitch in their system but they refuse to look into it further and fix it. They explained it is not their system error.

I never received notice that there was an issue with my account and returned payments from wrong bank account until after they put it in collections as I had paid it off and statements up until they put it in collections said $0 balance. It is possible that if you use their online system that your bank info could be compromised and they refuse to acknowledge it. Horrible customer service.

After being a card holder for over a year I have made every payment on time but noticed if you pay your payment on the actual due date and not prior to they will still attempt to add a late fee. Simply dishonest!

I have had a Target REDcard for 5 years. My payment history is spotless. After having fraud on my bank account I closed the account and opened a new one. I updated all auto pay accounts I have. Today I got a text saying my payment was missed. After speaking with Jennifer who couldn't have been nicer I was told that even though they had my new account on file doesn't mean it's connected to auto pay. So why would they want bank information if not for auto pay. She explained it's a two step process, which of course tells you this NOWHERE on their website!!! So now I have a return fee of 35.00, of course they can't refund it, easy way to make money Target. As soon as I can I'm paying off this card, cutting it up and sending to their Corporate headquarters, not that they care as they're sitting pretty with all the money they're stealing from consumers. Shame on them!!! Beware of their unethical practices, it's not worth the 5 percent!!

I just want to leave some feedback about my, so far, negative experience with the Redcard. We got a little behind on payments when my husband was laid off early 2016 and was out of work for several months. We have been getting caught up and worked out a payment plan. Well, apparently, even though we are on a payment plan Target is continuing to tack on $35 late fees! My payment plan payments are on time, but the only response Target gave me was that I am still technically behind and they will continue to charge late fees until I'm no longer past due.

So basically each time I make a payment, they will tack on $35 late fee and it'll take me 10 times longer to get this paid down... which I am assuming is what they hope for, so they can continue to charge late fees each month. Currently I pay $25/month and I get charged a $35 late fee each month... so basically I get $10 further into debt each month and I will never be able to pay this off, unless I can pay larger amounts each month. I love Target, but I am incredibly disappointed by this!

When I moved, I updated my address with REDcard over the phone. They read it back to me, and it was correct. One day, my REDcard was declined at the register, so I logged into my account to see what was going on. My account had late fees and interest charged to it even though I always pay the balance in full. It turns out that they changed one digit in my address, which obviously caused the next statement to never be delivered to me. A little research showed that there is an established pattern of Target making these "mistakes" because they know they'll be able to rack up a bunch of invalid late fees. The customer service reps are trained to do this. It is intentional, and it is evil. The people who run REDcard belong in prison.

My experience was very similar to many other reviewers. I have 2 credit cards besides this Target store card. Always pay in full ahead of time. Like previous reviewers - I didn't get a bill statement in November, so I made a phone call and was told that I have credit from returned merchandise, therefore do not owe anything. In December I received a collection note with a bill and penalty fees. When I called - I was also told the same: "we mailed you and didn't get your statement back. Besides, we can't do a thing since the account is in collections. I will look into a class action suit. Anyone wants to jump the wagon?

Over the past few months, my previous Target Credit Card had expired and I applied for a new card from the store to take advantage of the 5% off purchase rate. I made a number of purchases over the past 2 months and as had been previously the case, waited for my bill statement to arrive in the mail. Then during the past week, I finally received such a statement - only to realize that I was now delinquent for 2 past billing cycles and charged a late fee as well as cumulative interest. I immediately made contact with Target explaining to them that there was a big discrepancy with the overdue payments owing to my not being notified by them via the mail. Absolutely no consideration was given, barring the removal of the interest fees which were minute compared to the onerous "late fees" charged me.

Astounded at the lack of consideration and indifference to what was clearly to me a 'failure to communicate', I made 3 separate attempts to plead with this outfit to absolve my late charges as I reiterated again and again and again I NEVER RECEIVED MY BILLING STATEMENT. The upshot was thusly that "our department indicates that the bills were sent out... etc." And that it was incumbent upon me to prove differently. In over 15 years of owning several credit cards, I have never missed a payment and have actively maintained a credit score of 775-810. Whenever I have had a past dispute in a parallel scenario with other credit cards and businesses, without exception accommodation and resolution was attained to an end positive result.

The attitude and 'scripted' unintelligent responses I was given from Target Credit Card reps were abject and reflected a complete lack of consideration for the customer. I even managed to speak to a supervisor agent, who like her underling predecessors, came across as an automaton with no cogent explanation towards what I construed as harsh and draconian measures towards what was an honest oversight. "We don't think it's appropriate to make special consideration for one customer as this would be unfair towards the rest of our customer base." I was duly informed, after emphasizing that this whole fiasco was predicated on my not receiving their bills. I implored them to reason and diplomacy and was completely shot down for my efforts. I specified to them that I had a sterling track record for making timely bill payments with them and other outfits as they could examine for themselves - but all to no avail.

I know that it's been said before, and elsewhere in other circumstances but believe me, I mean it when I say I am absolutely *DONE* with Target as a business, period. And I will do everything in my power to advise anyone willing to hear my testimonial about the shoddy treatment I received. If Target were as proactive towards encouraging its customers towards signing up for email and text billing alerts as it is towards pu$hing their asinine RedCard, this incident would have never happened. I assumed to my detriment that the delayed bill I received was attributed to the closing of my previous card and reopening of as new one as they phased out the previous card after inactivity. My mistake - and theirs.

Target Credit Card Company Profile