Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Target Credit Card
3.56/5

Target Credit Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

384 Target Credit Card Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

I looked at my Target account online the day before the billing cycle closed and entered a one-time payment to pay the balance in full so the statement would show a $0.00 balance when it cycled. I entered the correct 9-digit routing number, and then entered the correct 12-digit checking account number - entering the 12-digit number two times, as required. The payment system will NOT let you enter the same routing number in the account number field, and the two account number fields have to match exactly before it lets you continue to the payment amount field. 5 days later, I received an e-mail saying that my payment was returned marked "Account not found".

I called my bank and the payment was never presented for payment. Had it been presented, they would have done a name search and routed the payment through my account. I called Target customer service and they told me that the account number that I entered is shown as *### with the last three digits of the routing number shown as the ###. They are trying to tell me that I entered the routing number as the account number. Ironically, their system will not allow what they said I did. They have assessed a $28 returned payment charge AND added interest to my balance. This is their system error.

I wish I had known about the 300+ consumer complaints about this issue BEFORE I opened the REDcard account. I guess this is Target's way of recovering the 5% REDcard discount that they give when you use your REDcard for purchases. Beat the system - keep your discount, but pay in the store at the customer service counter. DO NOT TRUST THE TARGET PAYMENT SYSTEM ONLINE! If you pay the balance every month before the statement cycles, they can't charge interest on the accounts, and you will be able to keep your discount.

Original review: June 10, 2019

After attempting to place an order at Target.com, the fraud detection algorithm used by Target flagged my account, and my card was restricted. Calling the fraud department to remedy the situation was a total NIGHTMARE!! More than a week later, after numerous calls, and after faxing much more private information than I feel comfortable sharing, they claimed to have lifted my restrictions. Only problem is they did NOT lift the restriction! I still cannot use the card, and they keep giving me a runaround ending in "okay, your restriction has been lifted". "Yes sir, really, it is lifted this time!" No, it isn't. Still. I'm taking my business elsewhere, they can rot in retail hell with Toys R Us, Sears, and countless others.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I've been a Target Red Card customer since 2003. Over 100 payments. Never late. Always on time. Paid them off. One time, I make one human mistake. Target quick to charge me a $27 returned payment fee. I've made you guys richer by using your card and you can't help me out this one time for a human error. WOW! Bye Target, I guess I'm now shopping at Walmart.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I have had a Target RedCard since 2003. Never had a problem until now. I made a larger payment than usual and brought my balance to $0.00. That was back in April. I wanted to use the card again to save 5% at Target, but now, weeks later, the available credit remains at $0.00. It was embarrassing to have my card declined in the store, when I should have had over $3,000 of available credit! It has been more than two weeks now. The payment cleared my bank on day 3, and Target still hasn't processed my payment. On one phone call, the representative pretended she couldn't hear me.

On another, they tried to do a conference call with my bank, and entering the call means typing in my SSN and Phone PIN. NOT GONNA HAPPEN during a conference call with a third party! When and if this issue gets resolved, I will be closing my Target RedCard account and shopping elsewhere. They lost a loyal customer of 16 years because of the difficulty they are having in processing my payment. What they are doing feels more like a scam than a credit card account. This is what they get for outsourcing to the lowest bidder.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I paid my credit card slightly larger than usual, $150 to $450 to use on vacation instead of carrying cash. Target is refusing to change my availability from ZERO. It’s been 14 days, 1 phone call, several emails. They keep insisting they want to CALL MY BANK??? I've never they can go to HELL. In this day of age, my payments have always cleared for 16 years same checking account. But in December they raised my limit by an extra $1000 but won’t credit my $500 payment. I don't have excellent credit but I'm not horrible either. My husband is furious, as am I. I hope their stores close!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target?

Original review: April 25, 2019

I ran into a financial problem during the holidays and was late on my Target card payment; I set up a payment plan with them to get back on track. I have had nothing but problems with it since; they keep saying my bank has returned the payment even though it is the same bank I have used for close to 10 years. I even switched my account to my savings account to see if this would rectify the problem, it did not. I called them again and was told that due to my non-payment (what???) they were closing my account and I had to pay double the amount I had been told to pay. I explained this was unacceptable and I wanted to speak to a manager; I was told a manager would call me back, no one did, of course. I received an email survey asking if I was satisfied with my issue; I said I was not and would like a phone call...no call. I have written emails to two corporate executives about the situation and still have not heard back. Unbelievable.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I've had a Red Card for a few years and was never really pleased with it. The items for sale seemed a bit expensive, and when I fell on hard times unlike other creditors, Target would not work with me on payment/late fees. I called last month to close out my account, pay my balance in full and be done with them once and for all only to get a bill in the mail today. I was extremely confused, so I called. I was informed that this was for a charge the month before I called and paid my balance off? Umm, ok. So I asked... "When I asked your representative what my total pay off balance was she left off a charge from the previous month?" She was aware of my wanting to be done with Target and this awful card. She never mentioned another payment, another bill or anything. She dropped the ball! I was not expecting another bill, and with good reason!

When I called to ask about the charge, and to explain the conversation I was repeatedly talked over. The people I spoke with were incredibly rude, especially Lauren in the disputes department. I plan to warn anyone I can about this card... I have had several, without any issues, several that actually care about customer experience, Target is not it. This is just one of the bad experiences I've had with them, hopefully the last, but who knows with them! Stay away!

Original review: April 23, 2019

We had no problems paying our bill until they closed the store near us. Their bill due date had no grace period so it had to be paid by the exact date it was due or they would add a 25 dollar late fee onto your bill. At the time they had no pay by phone and their company had already been hacked so using the internet to pay was not only a bad way to pay your bill but you also needed to use another credit card to pay using the internet. That only left two options for us to pay our bill. The first is to go across town to another store to pay it and when my husband worked 2 jobs finding the time was almost impossible. The second way was to send it by mail and cross your fingers that it gets there before they added on their high late fees. It wasn't long before the late fees they kept tacking on our bill got us to where none of our principal amount was being paid.

We called their customer service line and were told to find a way because they only cared about getting paid. We finally had no choice but to let it go to collections just to get the late fees stopped. They took a customer that paid his bill's every month and not only ruined his credit but is now ruining his life. I posted a review on their Facebook page and within minutes I had over 75 responses and most of them insulting. Posting a review this late at night would not have that many people reading reviews and I doubt they would have been so nasty. I had to remove the review because in one hour there was over a 132 reviews.

I believe Target has employees that monitor their Facebook and once there's a negative review they have their employees pretend to be people commenting and they attack you until you remove it. Target now excepts phone payments but too late to have helped us. This is a greedy company that does not care about their customers. They had just increased his credit limit right before they closed the store he paid his bill at so they can't say he didn't pay his bills.

Original review: April 17, 2019

So, like everyone else here complaining about their REDcard experience...I set up online bill pay with all of the correct banking information. Bill comes in March, I pay it off completely. Bill comes April and is ridiculously high. I go online and check to see what's going on...and sure as everyone else here...they returned my previous months bill! No notification...just a 90pt credit hit. I call to pay the bill online...very rude customer service btw...one person even pretended that they couldnt hear me and hung up. It's crazy that a big store can operate this way, extorting their customers that are trying to pay their bill off. Paid my bill off in full with cash instore...two days later the payment hasnt even posted on their site...smh...into the shredder you go target card...nothing but a big sham!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I’ve been dealing with this claim issue for over 2 months now & have spoke with several people about it. I received letters stating claim was closed in my favor but when I speak with someone on the phone they say I owe them funds, not to mention some were extremely rude. I no longer trust this company, everyone I speak with is saying something different which makes me feel uneasy. The way they do business in regards to charging the card is unorganized & the only reason I placed these specific orders was that was the only way to get the gift cards. This company is losing a 6 year customer. I’m told they charge the RedCard when orders are placed now & when items are taken from shelf, that’s untrue because items in my order were out of stock, yet I was still charged. I recently was diagnosed with a debilitating disease & don’t need this added stress.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Since they updated their log in interface almost a year ago (I think) I have had nothing but problems logging in. Every single time I try to log in they make me reset my entire account putting in all of my information card numbers etc and then reset my 3 security questions. I have written down every single question and password and make 100% sure I enter it in correctly and they still boot me instantly. It’s not like I enter it incorrect and they let me retry like every other site, as soon as I try to log in they decide I need to reset my account. Even though I’m typing my exact passwords and answers. I’m so done, will pay off and cancel. Been a member since 2013 but I’ve had enough - and apparently hundreds of others are also having this issue. There are tons of forums on it.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I got this card back during the holidays as it allowed me to get 5% off the purchases. Never had an issue, and always paid early. Took forever for the payment to post, and had to call customer service (whom conferenced in my bank) to verify payment. I then made a payment recently, had the account setup correctly (so I thought) and paid off my card again. However, no notices, no alerts, no notifications. Just started getting calls that my account was past due. Thinking it's possible spam, but just in case, went to look.

Short story, I discovered that the payment was returned (no reason specified online). After talking to customer service, was told it was due to an incorrectly setup banking account information (but no way to check as they deleted it when it's "bad"). And they would not credit the return fees as they claimed it wasn't their fault (again, no way to verify it). My credit is pretty good, and I only got this card to get a discount at the store. The employee informed me that I could do the debit card online when I returned home (of which I got denied, go figure). Let's just say, because of these methods to extract more money out of consumers, I will no longer use my card. Nor will I shop there ever again.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I applied for this account November 2018 and my first time using it was 3/27/19. I waited till the purchases showed then tried immediately to make the payments as I made purchases. Which were showing as not going through so on the 4th time I checked all the numbers and apparently I put the account numbers in wrong and I fixed it and paid in full on 4/8/2019. Yep 12 days that’s it and when I called. They said they shut my card down permanently. There is nothing they can do about it. So the credit score I have built up they have lowered by shutting my account down for paying my account balance early cause even as of this moment there is no payment due till April 19th 2019.

Yep you got it. I have never had even been late. Never had a payment due but yet because of a mistake in putting my payment info in my account was shut down in 12 days of the first use. And I am told by the service number that there is no one that can fix it. That I can complain but the supervisor of the customer service number says she is the highest rank and it’s as far as it goes and so she can’t fix it and how it affects my credit is not her problem. So I wish I would have never applied for this card that they really pushed on me every time I went to Target. It is the most horrible customer service and they obviously don’t allow any time to fix a technical error mistake. I would never recommend this card ever. The worst ever!!!

Original review: March 6, 2019

I love Target and was trying to build my credit, I have another card through Hot Topic. Never had an issue. Target kept kicking out my payments without notifying me, apparently because my bank info was not correct. Which it is because I use the same info for my Hot Topic card. Well since I didn't know they rejected my payment I racked up a higher bill than needed and it lowered my score. Paid it off, still hasn't been reported to any credit agency. Had to drive an hour to Target to pay it and even that was an annoying process with poor customer service.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I was a regular shopper at Target until we decided to get a Redcard. Target employees both on the phone, and in the store are rude, unhelpful, and ridiculously lacking in professionalism. One will tell you one thing, the next will completely contradict the other. Done with Target.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I paid my Target Red Card payment of 11.20 which was the entire bill. According to Target they could not retrieve the money from the account. I asked them the account number and it was not mine. I asked them to show me where that account number is on my bill. Shelby from Dispute Resolution said she couldn't. She said the account was deleted from my account already. I informed them that was not my account and according to my bank you never tried to retrieve the money. Target charged my 27.00 for a bill of 11.20cents. They had the wrong number. They can't prove it and they are taking advantaged of a 73 year old disabled Senior Citizen on a fixed income. What horrible customer service. So my entire bill is up to 38.00. This has to be against the law.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Every time I try and log on to pay my bill I have to reset my username and password. I'm entering everything correctly so I know it's not on my end. It takes forever to pay my bill - very frustrating!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

They take your payments but refuse to update your available credit for literally WEEKS - if you make an extra payment, like I did - they punish you. I've had this RedCard since 2006!!! Given the recent decline in customer service - and the shoddy management of this account - I am no longer going to use this card. It will be paid off ASAP so I don't have to deal with this crooks.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I LOVE Target. And in certain circles. "Tar’ga”, like an exclusive Boutiqueago. My Redcard Debut card bounced so many times due to delayed withdrawals from my checking account. Please investigate this problem, as I don’t have unlimited income at my disposal. Am speaking for my finances, am not as fortunate as others. Please look into this, it’s the only Con I have for this Company, The Pros are all the innovative designers at a fraction of the cost of the high end departure stores and Boutique(s).

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Target seems to hold your payments on hold for ridiculous reasons and length of time. I called 4 times and was told the first time the payment would be cleared the next day. It didn't . I called the next day and they said it would be another couple of weeks. I called today the date I was told they would clear it and was told they need to call my bank to confirm it cleared. OMG. Are you kidding me!!!

They have my payment now for 3 weeks. The representative said well if you wait it should clear this week. REALLY TARGET? Every time I call I get a different answer. You have the payment, Clear my account or close it. I was told one time they had put the payment on hold because it was a larger payment than usual. What kind of stupid excuse is that??? Will never shop there again. There are too many other stores and cards to choose from to put up with this poor customer service. Keep it up and I am sure Target will follow in other stores with less than customer service. I wish I could give them a negative star for customer service.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

We had the card for 11 years with no issues. We did not receive a statement in November or December of 2018. They never requested payment. The card stopped working so I called them and they claimed we were delinquent. We immediately paid the balance in full ($638). They reported this as a delinquent account and lower my credit score by 80 points. If you read the reviews, this seems to be a common complaint. They cannot/will not send electronic statements, I didn't believe it myself until multiple of their representatives told me the same thing. You are required to log on and check.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Target pushed us into a 5% red card, which is fine, we went for it but after 6 months the card failed to work at the registers. The card has an 800 number on the back but when we call it asks for the last four digits of the card. **, "Sorry we don't recognize that. Please try again. ** - "Please try again." Enter the full number **, "Sorry we don't recognize that, please try again." The website offers the same experience with NO WAY to reach a human. Finally after mashing 00000000000000000 #### I managed to get a human. After 5 minutes I was put on hold and disconnected. What a joke. Never shopping here again.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

THE WORST painful experience with a credit card. I have perfect credit, pay every bill for 50 yrs. This card demanded I fax, where anyone would have my information unshredded, then my bank statement, social security card, utility bill, etc. to authorize me??? This is unacceptable. All I wanted to do was pay my first charge of $400 bill before the statement arrived. They could not "authorize me" because I had a Comcast telephone number??? Why? All I wanted to do was pay the bill. Since they would not authorize me, I could not use the card to gain my discounts. So, I wanted to pay the balance of $14 and cancel the card. Fraud dept refused to allow me to cancel the card!!!...until I sent them my "documentation"...all those highly personal papers I just mentioned that they do not have a right to. I was screaming; I was crying on the phone. This should be reported to highest levels of banking. Is this a side scam???

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I used my credit card that had a zero balance for an Uber ride and was charged $8.00. This was in October of 2018. They sent me to collections in January of 2019 for this debt, and my credit score dropped well over 100 points. Ridiculous!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Took out a cash advance and was told as long as I pay the cash advance amount in full there will be no extra charges. When I reviewed my account a year later and did a deep dive into the interest charges I realized they were charging me an added interest charge. Fairly small enough so that it went unnoticed for that amount of time. So when I called again to clarify, they stated “make a pymt in the amount of what is owed and place a note on file as to the specifics of the charge, then that would clear out the added interest”. However when I re-evaluated after payment posted, I called and had to ask for a supervisor. She stated that was NOT the case and the whole balance had to be paid in full (which included additional purchases) and then the account would no longer accrue the additional charges.

In addition, every time you use the card and carry a balance they reduce your credit limit by the 1000s, which severely affects your credit score from month to month. Buyer beware. There are many other wonderful banking institutions out there that will support you in a positive way. STAY AWAY!!! Absolutely horrible company. If it couldn’t get any worse, my number was stolen and I don’t even use the card and even after being issued another card I called and asked why I had additional fraudulent charges after the account was closed and the new card wasn’t even activated and another supervisor kept talking over me and telling me I didn't understand. How a bank so unprofessionally deals with their customers and gives customers absolutely NO PEACE OF MIND, I WILL NEVER KNOW. Have now even dropped shopping there. PLEASE DONT EVEN CONSIDER, YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

In order to log in onto their website, you have to make a phone call and wait on hold, because their security question thing doesn't ever work! After calling and waiting on hold, and only if you are the authorized user on the account, they will give you a temporary password to log in. Once you finally get logged in, you will be required to change all your security questions before you can do anything, and then create a new password. The same goes for trying to sync this account in Mint. Never had this problem with almost 100 credit cards I've had over the years. Just going to shop somewhere that understands how to make a credit card work!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I tried make a payment several times via call them or through online payment but they asked me to call them back or block my account to not me to pay on times every time. It charged me a huge late fees. It was really sad and desperated. Please investigate it and help us. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

They make you jump through 20 hoops just to make a payment. I like all things Target but this product is horrible. I called to find out when my due date was and I was told I was already late! I would not recommend this card to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Was a Target RedCard holder for 11 years - and a great one. Spent ten of thousands at Target over the years. In Aug 2018, I had my card completely paid off. Told my kids not to use their cards that connect to my account anymore. I had had issues with the card triggering fraud alerts and Target/TD Bank placing the card on hold, yet never contacting me to tell me it was on hold, then going to Target loading a cart full of groceries, trying to check out, and being declined. Then I would have to use another card and not receive my cartwheel and 5% off - thus ruining the savings I had planned. It happened more than three times, and I was disillusioned. In fact, I was going to close the card in August, but I knew doing so could lower my FICO score, so I didn't. Boy - that a mistake. Ugh - hindsight!

So, on 5 Dec 2018, my credit monitoring service told me that Target/TD Bank had reported me the credit bureaus. WHAT!? I hadn't charged on the card since 5 Aug... Now, in Sep I saw that some of my kids' online games were auto billing to it, so I paid that off 9/26/2018 and had them remove the card from those accounts. But I never received a statement that month, or one in October, or one in November. Now they reported me to the credit bureau? No email, no snail mail, no phone call to a long time cardholder in good standing??? I tried to log into my account - I couldn't - tried to call them - I couldn't.

They are open like 8-5 Central Time M-F (maybe not the exact hours, but they aren't like a real credit company that is 24/7). Finally - I figured out that there is a new website for the Redcard and after 30 minutes of frustration, I am in...and OMG - the late fees! And the charges my kids made! And WHY didn't I receive an e-statement for those months??? I have scoured my email looking. I received statements until Sep 2018 and I received email from them after 5 Dec (when I called them), but not in between. No, it isn't in SPAM. I am a network engineer - I can work Email. I did not receive it. But I did pay the card off right away once I got in online. Maybe I should not have. Maybe that pittance of an amount owed was my leverage - I'll never know. Because I pay my bills. If I know about them.

Then came dealing with the horrible, just couldn't be worse if you paid them, customer service. I spent 6 hours over two days being treated like a degenerate. Being told to report my kids for fraud (really, I don't do it justice, the tone in her voice is still in my head). Repeatedly explaining to them that I am disputing this because I was not notified in writing per the Fair Credit Act. I was banging my head against a wall in a blank white room (NOT literally). None of my time and frustration got me anywhere but angry and helpless and hopeless.

I have closed the account. My credit has its one and only ding on it - ever. If I could talk to the board of that company - I would say to them what I said to many of the customer service people I spoke to along the way...For 11 years, I generated revenue for you. I was a great consumer. I gave Target gift cards and talked about how much I loved this or that about the store.

Now, over a small amount of money and a ding to my credit - you have lost me as a customer forever. I will tell many people about this. I will teach my kids not to go to Target and never get a RedCard, they will tell their friends, and it will spread. Seems like a poor business decision. I wonder how much better off Target (now I understand why they are declining) would be if they had a small department of people that made a courtesy call to longtime, good standing cardholders with a "reminder" to pay their bill! Shoot - this could be a IVR and not a person, even. Target - YOU COULD BE BETTER!!! I sure wish you were.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have problems logging on every time and then two of my payments were not credited to my account and they sent me to collections. Worst yet all computerized. No human being to talk to. This is the worst and now they are ruining my credit!

Target Credit Card Company Information