Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Target Credit Card

Target Credit Card
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.33/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Target Credit Card Reviews

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

In early 2019, our home was flooded and we had to demolish it. This whole situation has set us back financially and emotionally. I partially blame this disaster for what happened below. That being said, I had a Target Red Card for over 10 years. Recently, I attempted to make a payment, pulling money from a new checking account. When I was keying it in, Target's system would not allow me to click on CHECKING so I clicked on SAVINGS thinking it would not make much of a difference. WRONG! The payment bounced back. The next time I entered the account number it did allow me to click on CHECKING, but I accidentally keyed the account number and it was one digit short. It was returned again. Within a few days of that attempt to pay the account they closed my account and refused to consider the situation. On top of it, they popped my interest rate up to almost 25%.

I spoke with representatives at the company on 3 different occasions asking for consideration on the fees, or the interest rate, or re-opening the account. The answer was NO! NO! NO! The implication was that I was fraudulently handling my account which is ABSOLUTELY BOGUS! I will never shop their stores! I think they are money hungry and do not care one tiny bit about their customers!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

They gave me $300. I only spent $40. Now I can't get into my account. I have to call the 1 800 number to hear how much I owe. I think I'll just pay it off. Then close my account. It's just not worth having to me.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Got RedCard this September, first bill went to old address, Target notified me I was late and, horrified, I paid the balance in full and have done so ever since. Didn't matter. Target randomly declines the card. Multiple calls to nightmarish overseas customer service resulted in being told everything was "Fine" even as their own store continued to randomly either decline or accept the card.

Today, 1/20/20, it gets declined. I call. Target admits I paid the monthly balance in full on January 8. But they never credited it to my account! Why? I had charged over $1000.0 and had paid the full amount. This "Large payment" triggered a "Warning" since I had a "Record" of "Late payment problems". To compound the problem, no one would tell me when target would finally post the payment to my account to clear it. So I paid off the final balance over the phone and cancelled the card. I couldn't take it anymore. I love target but red card is very badly managed and they have driven me away as a card user.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

The information Obtained from talking to Target Red card rep is that the late fee won’t incur more late fees after closing the account, it will just STAY THERE doing nothing — NOT TRUE! Two months later a statement came in for two more late fees based on the one late fee not taken cared of before closing! Target account retention won’t even talk to you after giving the wrong info putting me in $90+ debt leaving me to collection, which can only tell me sorry but I have to pay. — what about sorry and you pay the bill!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I have had this account for over 15 years. I was always in good standing and they consistent raised my credit limit. Recently I moved into a new house and hiked my balance up. I went to pay half that balance by adding a new account which I ended up missing one number that caused the account to reject and I got hit with an insufficient fund fee. Fine. Whatever. I reloaded the account, made that big payment, and it cleared no problem, but then the next day I get an email from my credit monitoring company that my Target acct was closed. Knowing that I didn't close it, I sent an email to investigate it. According to the rep that responded, I had "too many" aka 1 insufficient funds transaction and therefore they permanently closed my account and it can't be reopened. No notice, no attempt to rectify, no nothing.

It dropped my credit score 21 points and I'm beyond upset that years and years of being a good customer, I make one mistake and just like that, they close the account with no notice. I pulled the account terms and couldn't believe that I read that target has the right to cancel an account for "any reason described or for no reason at all". No reason at all?!? Shutting accounts down for no reason at all when people literally rely on these accounts should be ILLEGAL!!! I will never shop there again. I will warn everyone about how this company scams people and I will keep posting a million bad reviews.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I have had my Target RedCard for 7 months now. I have NEVER missed a payment with them. I have also NEVER had a payment returned to them for any reason. I ALWAYS pay my balance down to 20% EVERY MONTH. I paid it this December 17th, and the payment cleared my bank on December 18th. They REFUSE to post it to my available credit. It is not like I need it, or at this point would use it. However, there is NO REASON that they should be holding my payment hostage. My e-mails to them and phone calls have all gone with BS excuses. Now they want me to call my bank on a conference call with them. This is ridiculous to say the least. I will be paying off this card this month, and never using it again.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Somehow my payment payment amount was changed from full payment to minimum payment earlier this year. Since I was not getting paper, I didn't notice it 'til lately. For all the prior 9 years I have always paid-it off so I called to see what adjustment could be made. Response - tough luck. The rep did say he could take off the latest interest charge - Called back and it was not taken off and that rep said nothing they could do. Cancelled the card. Long term customer desires some consideration. Target may have even had caused the problem since they rejection my bank's payment - same bank used for 9 years - had to reestablish.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I have had the REDCard since March 2017 and up until a few months ago everything has been fine. All of a sudden the card reader is constantly telling me that it is unable to accept my card and I need to contact the issuer, so I did.... They basically told me there was nothing they could do and to "wipe off the chip". I also tried to use it a week ago and surprise, it wouldn't accept it but the charges are still showing in my account. They told me I'd have to dispute it once it posted for money that I spent on a completely different card because theirs wouldn't work. I have spent a lot of money on my REDCard so for them to treat me this way makes me very angry. I love the products Target has to offer and originally I loved having the REDcard but not anymore. Oddly enough, it always works at the in-store Starbucks, just not for things I actually need it for. They truly don't care about you, just go get a different card.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Never never get a card. It takes 13 transfers and a huge nightmare to ask a question. Worst experience . 4 years customer and now done. Each department kept saying this is the wrong department, but you validate your personal information each time. Then, you are on hold forever and get disconnected and start over again. Then, you hear foul mouthed songs while waiting.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I missed one payment in October and they have sent it to collections. I have had my card for almost two years and never missed a payment. I could understand if I was two or three months behind. I am trying to rebuild my credit and this will cause my score to drop dramatically. I will be calling the collection agency on Monday and find out what my options are at this point. This is such BS... I will never shop at Target again.

Target Credit Card Company Information