Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Target Credit Card
3.56/5

Target Credit Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

386 Target Credit Card Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have been using Target Red Card for several years. I am shopping items online or in the store. Lately I signed in my Target Red Card account online, I discovered that they did not give me 5% discount in some online orders. Be careful when you use Target.com to shopping. They have two systems - Target website and Target Red Card. When you are shopping, you are purchasing through Target website. They charge you in another system call Target Red Card. The charge you see in your shopping cart normally doesn't match the charge in Target Red Card. I don't think anyone has the time to compare the charge side by side when you sign in to two websites side by side. It is hard to compare since the Target Red Card didn’t display the item’s name you ordered in Target website.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

July 27, 2019 I mailed a check paying in full the $900 balance. The check cleared on August 5, 2019, but never went into my account. It's now September 4, 2019 and I called to have them say they found it a week ago. Where was my phone call? Were you ever going to tell me you found it? Thank you to the other RedCard customer who was honest and reported the payment wasn't theirs. But come on, why wasn't TD Bank even trying to look?

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I looked at my Target account online the day before the billing cycle closed and entered a one-time payment to pay the balance in full so the statement would show a $0.00 balance when it cycled. I entered the correct 9-digit routing number, and then entered the correct 12-digit checking account number - entering the 12-digit number two times, as required. The payment system will NOT let you enter the same routing number in the account number field, and the two account number fields have to match exactly before it lets you continue to the payment amount field. 5 days later, I received an e-mail saying that my payment was returned marked "Account not found".

I called my bank and the payment was never presented for payment. Had it been presented, they would have done a name search and routed the payment through my account. I called Target customer service and they told me that the account number that I entered is shown as *### with the last three digits of the routing number shown as the ###. They are trying to tell me that I entered the routing number as the account number. Ironically, their system will not allow what they said I did. They have assessed a $28 returned payment charge AND added interest to my balance. This is their system error.

I wish I had known about the 300+ consumer complaints about this issue BEFORE I opened the REDcard account. I guess this is Target's way of recovering the 5% REDcard discount that they give when you use your REDcard for purchases. Beat the system - keep your discount, but pay in the store at the customer service counter. DO NOT TRUST THE TARGET PAYMENT SYSTEM ONLINE! If you pay the balance every month before the statement cycles, they can't charge interest on the accounts, and you will be able to keep your discount.

Original review: June 10, 2019

After attempting to place an order at Target.com, the fraud detection algorithm used by Target flagged my account, and my card was restricted. Calling the fraud department to remedy the situation was a total NIGHTMARE!! More than a week later, after numerous calls, and after faxing much more private information than I feel comfortable sharing, they claimed to have lifted my restrictions. Only problem is they did NOT lift the restriction! I still cannot use the card, and they keep giving me a runaround ending in "okay, your restriction has been lifted". "Yes sir, really, it is lifted this time!" No, it isn't. Still. I'm taking my business elsewhere, they can rot in retail hell with Toys R Us, Sears, and countless others.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I've been a Target Red Card customer since 2003. Over 100 payments. Never late. Always on time. Paid them off. One time, I make one human mistake. Target quick to charge me a $27 returned payment fee. I've made you guys richer by using your card and you can't help me out this one time for a human error. WOW! Bye Target, I guess I'm now shopping at Walmart.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target?

Original review: May 9, 2019

I have had a Target RedCard since 2003. Never had a problem until now. I made a larger payment than usual and brought my balance to $0.00. That was back in April. I wanted to use the card again to save 5% at Target, but now, weeks later, the available credit remains at $0.00. It was embarrassing to have my card declined in the store, when I should have had over $3,000 of available credit! It has been more than two weeks now. The payment cleared my bank on day 3, and Target still hasn't processed my payment. On one phone call, the representative pretended she couldn't hear me.

On another, they tried to do a conference call with my bank, and entering the call means typing in my SSN and Phone PIN. NOT GONNA HAPPEN during a conference call with a third party! When and if this issue gets resolved, I will be closing my Target RedCard account and shopping elsewhere. They lost a loyal customer of 16 years because of the difficulty they are having in processing my payment. What they are doing feels more like a scam than a credit card account. This is what they get for outsourcing to the lowest bidder.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I paid my credit card slightly larger than usual, $150 to $450 to use on vacation instead of carrying cash. Target is refusing to change my availability from ZERO. It’s been 14 days, 1 phone call, several emails. They keep insisting they want to CALL MY BANK??? I've never they can go to HELL. In this day of age, my payments have always cleared for 16 years same checking account. But in December they raised my limit by an extra $1000 but won’t credit my $500 payment. I don't have excellent credit but I'm not horrible either. My husband is furious, as am I. I hope their stores close!

Original review: April 25, 2019

I ran into a financial problem during the holidays and was late on my Target card payment; I set up a payment plan with them to get back on track. I have had nothing but problems with it since; they keep saying my bank has returned the payment even though it is the same bank I have used for close to 10 years. I even switched my account to my savings account to see if this would rectify the problem, it did not. I called them again and was told that due to my non-payment (what???) they were closing my account and I had to pay double the amount I had been told to pay. I explained this was unacceptable and I wanted to speak to a manager; I was told a manager would call me back, no one did, of course. I received an email survey asking if I was satisfied with my issue; I said I was not and would like a phone call...no call. I have written emails to two corporate executives about the situation and still have not heard back. Unbelievable.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I've had a Red Card for a few years and was never really pleased with it. The items for sale seemed a bit expensive, and when I fell on hard times unlike other creditors, Target would not work with me on payment/late fees. I called last month to close out my account, pay my balance in full and be done with them once and for all only to get a bill in the mail today. I was extremely confused, so I called. I was informed that this was for a charge the month before I called and paid my balance off? Umm, ok. So I asked... "When I asked your representative what my total pay off balance was she left off a charge from the previous month?" She was aware of my wanting to be done with Target and this awful card. She never mentioned another payment, another bill or anything. She dropped the ball! I was not expecting another bill, and with good reason!

When I called to ask about the charge, and to explain the conversation I was repeatedly talked over. The people I spoke with were incredibly rude, especially Lauren in the disputes department. I plan to warn anyone I can about this card... I have had several, without any issues, several that actually care about customer experience, Target is not it. This is just one of the bad experiences I've had with them, hopefully the last, but who knows with them! Stay away!

Original review: April 23, 2019

We had no problems paying our bill until they closed the store near us. Their bill due date had no grace period so it had to be paid by the exact date it was due or they would add a 25 dollar late fee onto your bill. At the time they had no pay by phone and their company had already been hacked so using the internet to pay was not only a bad way to pay your bill but you also needed to use another credit card to pay using the internet. That only left two options for us to pay our bill. The first is to go across town to another store to pay it and when my husband worked 2 jobs finding the time was almost impossible. The second way was to send it by mail and cross your fingers that it gets there before they added on their high late fees. It wasn't long before the late fees they kept tacking on our bill got us to where none of our principal amount was being paid.

We called their customer service line and were told to find a way because they only cared about getting paid. We finally had no choice but to let it go to collections just to get the late fees stopped. They took a customer that paid his bill's every month and not only ruined his credit but is now ruining his life. I posted a review on their Facebook page and within minutes I had over 75 responses and most of them insulting. Posting a review this late at night would not have that many people reading reviews and I doubt they would have been so nasty. I had to remove the review because in one hour there was over a 132 reviews.

I believe Target has employees that monitor their Facebook and once there's a negative review they have their employees pretend to be people commenting and they attack you until you remove it. Target now excepts phone payments but too late to have helped us. This is a greedy company that does not care about their customers. They had just increased his credit limit right before they closed the store he paid his bill at so they can't say he didn't pay his bills.

Target Credit Card Company Information