1.04/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

359 Target Credit Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

In order to log in onto their website, you have to make a phone call and wait on hold, because their security question thing doesn't ever work! After calling and waiting on hold, and only if you are the authorized user on the account, they will give you a temporary password to log in. Once you finally get logged in, you will be required to change all your security questions before you can do anything, and then create a new password. The same goes for trying to sync this account in Mint. Never had this problem with almost 100 credit cards I've had over the years. Just going to shop somewhere that understands how to make a credit card work!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I tried make a payment several times via call them or through online payment but they asked me to call them back or block my account to not me to pay on times every time. It charged me a huge late fees. It was really sad and desperated. Please investigate it and help us. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

They make you jump through 20 hoops just to make a payment. I like all things Target but this product is horrible. I called to find out when my due date was and I was told I was already late! I would not recommend this card to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Was a Target RedCard holder for 11 years - and a great one. Spent ten of thousands at Target over the years. In Aug 2018, I had my card completely paid off. Told my kids not to use their cards that connect to my account anymore. I had had issues with the card triggering fraud alerts and Target/TD Bank placing the card on hold, yet never contacting me to tell me it was on hold, then going to Target loading a cart full of groceries, trying to check out, and being declined. Then I would have to use another card and not receive my cartwheel and 5% off - thus ruining the savings I had planned. It happened more than three times, and I was disillusioned. In fact, I was going to close the card in August, but I knew doing so could lower my FICO score, so I didn't. Boy - that a mistake. Ugh - hindsight!

So, on 5 Dec 2018, my credit monitoring service told me that Target/TD Bank had reported me the credit bureaus. WHAT!? I hadn't charged on the card since 5 Aug... Now, in Sep I saw that some of my kids' online games were auto billing to it, so I paid that off 9/26/2018 and had them remove the card from those accounts. But I never received a statement that month, or one in October, or one in November. Now they reported me to the credit bureau? No email, no snail mail, no phone call to a long time cardholder in good standing??? I tried to log into my account - I couldn't - tried to call them - I couldn't.

They are open like 8-5 Central Time M-F (maybe not the exact hours, but they aren't like a real credit company that is 24/7). Finally - I figured out that there is a new website for the Redcard and after 30 minutes of frustration, I am in...and OMG - the late fees! And the charges my kids made! And WHY didn't I receive an e-statement for those months??? I have scoured my email looking. I received statements until Sep 2018 and I received email from them after 5 Dec (when I called them), but not in between. No, it isn't in SPAM. I am a network engineer - I can work Email. I did not receive it. But I did pay the card off right away once I got in online. Maybe I should not have. Maybe that pittance of an amount owed was my leverage - I'll never know. Because I pay my bills. If I know about them.

Then came dealing with the horrible, just couldn't be worse if you paid them, customer service. I spent 6 hours over two days being treated like a degenerate. Being told to report my kids for fraud (really, I don't do it justice, the tone in her voice is still in my head). Repeatedly explaining to them that I am disputing this because I was not notified in writing per the Fair Credit Act. I was banging my head against a wall in a blank white room (NOT literally). None of my time and frustration got me anywhere but angry and helpless and hopeless.

I have closed the account. My credit has its one and only ding on it - ever. If I could talk to the board of that company - I would say to them what I said to many of the customer service people I spoke to along the way...For 11 years, I generated revenue for you. I was a great consumer. I gave Target gift cards and talked about how much I loved this or that about the store.

Now, over a small amount of money and a ding to my credit - you have lost me as a customer forever. I will tell many people about this. I will teach my kids not to go to Target and never get a RedCard, they will tell their friends, and it will spread. Seems like a poor business decision. I wonder how much better off Target (now I understand why they are declining) would be if they had a small department of people that made a courtesy call to longtime, good standing cardholders with a "reminder" to pay their bill! Shoot - this could be a IVR and not a person, even. Target - YOU COULD BE BETTER!!! I sure wish you were.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have problems logging on every time and then two of my payments were not credited to my account and they sent me to collections. Worst yet all computerized. No human being to talk to. This is the worst and now they are ruining my credit!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Hello -- The bottom line is that they cancel your credit card (the REDcard) if you haven't used it for six months. This seems like an unwise business practice if it is intended to encourage return customers. It is also irritating as I ended up changing passwords on my still active REDcard online account only to be told my PIN was wrong. When I got to the store and asked what was wrong (since my PIN WASN'T WRONG), the telephone service said that my card had been canceled after six months of non-use. I asked them to turn it back on and they said I should reapply. Totally not worth re-applying, especially with the six-month rule. My interest in shopping at Target has now decreased.

More detail -- I live in a rural town without a Target, but there was a period when I would regularly make the 75 minute trip to the nearest Target (they had my dog's favorite food). They stopped stocking the food so I haven't been to Target for a couple of years, but Christmas is coming and, good for them, they had the hot Nintendo device that asked for at the 11th hour. I ordered it online for pickup the next day. (That pickup experience worked well, and the customer service at the store was pleasant.) I ended up purchasing the device with my Amazon credit card (at Target). No big deal really, but I did not appreciate wasting my time with the dead card, and it seems a poor business practice -- particularly when I was given no notice that my card would be canceled for non-use.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Awful since they "updated" the experience. I haven't been able to log in without changing all four of my challenge questions despite having the correct username and password. I have no idea what I owe or when. AVOID THIS SCAM. NEVER opt out of mailed statements. Never assume they have your best interests at heart.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Since their site "redesign" and "update" I have been unable to log in 2 time without being forced to reset all of my security questions. In addition this new system does not play nice with either of the bill pay solutions I usually use making it even more annoying and inconvenient to make the payments. I will be paying off the remainder of what I owe them but have already destroyed the card, I have no intention to continue using the busted payment portal any longer than needed and I would recommend that nobody subject themselves to it.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Since Target started a new online system in September, we have been getting locked out every couple of weeks. It takes 15-30 min. to get service. They let us back in, but we just get locked out again. The person I spoke with today did not see any history on our account, and had no record of anyone ever speaking with us before. This problem clearly needs to be escalated, but I have not yet found anyone who is able or willing to do that. By now, I am pretty sure that this is the worst Customer Disservice experience I have had in the 20-odd years of online credit-card accounts. I would certainly warn others against the Target Red Card.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The card is not that beneficial and has so many different ways to try and make the consumer pay extra fees any way possible. If you pay online there are ridiculous hour restrictions to have your payment processed. The phone payment automation is ridiculously annoying (and has hour restrictions, as well), the customer service for the card is also not helpful at all, yet they set inflexible restrictions on online payments. They are impossible! Even to get through to their unhelpful staff it is the most annoying process I’ve ever gone through compared to any other company I’ve ever called. They stand well above any card or company in terrible customer service! I wish I could rate it zero stars.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Tried to contact "guest services" about a bill I never got and now I have to pay a late charge. No one was available, hours are from 5am to 7pm CT, it does not say this ANYWHERE on the website. Tried to cancel my card, because who wants to deal with a company who does not send a bill and then charges a late fee, and you cannot do it except over the phone during the above hours. Lame.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have been a red cardholder since 2011. On two occasions now I have not received my e-statement and when the next statement comes, I have a late fee assessed. I have never been late on any payment (when I receive me e-statement via email!) When I called to question why I never received my e-statement, the response I get is, "Well maybe it went into your junk folder!" My response, "Well why is the statement I just received five seconds ago not in my junk folder." After the first time, I assumed it was probably my fault, an accidental deletion on my part. After the second time, I now know this is just a scam on their part to collect late fees.

So I called this morning to close my account. Went through the grueling process of their automated system, and was TWICE disconnected after giving my story about why I wanted to close my account. Third time, I finally yelled enough to have the representative stay on the line instead of placing me on hold. Once I finally got to the right person, the process took only a few seconds. I am so glad that I closed my account and will never shop at Target again because of this horrible experience (and I'd like to say I was an avid Target shopper!)

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

It seems that I am not the only one to have had a problem with Target. Many are the same problem accompanied with lousy customer service and not getting problem resolved. I tried for over an hour and kept getting transferred for a total of 5 people. Never got to the 5th one cause was disconnected. I was charged for a gift card that (electronically) never received. I was charged when it supposedly transmitted. I waited for well beyond the suggested 4 hour wait time. I called customer service and was told they are having trouble with the links and the only thing they could do was issue a credit.

They issued the credit but the charge appeared on my November statement. They gave me a bunch of double talk that the billing was for purchases in September and October. My account is current and have never missed a payment. I had enough of it and decided to pay the bill and get rid of the Target card and Target once and for all. I am passing my comments on to make folks aware and be careful with Target.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I was a customer for a long time with this company. I ran into an issue with them recently regarding my online account which affected my credit account. After multiple messages, they showed no concern for my issue nor tried to get more details to try to resolve the issue. They just did not care. I was very disappointed with this company and expected better. I unfortunately decided to close my account after experiencing this horrible service. They could've done so much better but failed and lost a customer.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Signed up for electronic statements but never actually received them. They just kept assessing late fees. I had a couple removed but they forgot again and was assessed more. Tried to call customer service but could not get through to a live operator, I finally figured out that if you repeatedly press 0 then a live operator will answer. That was not helpful at all. I paid in full and closed my account but was told that I would be assessed interest and would still need to pay that. On 0 balance I will have interest which I will probably forget to pay and it will go to collection. WTF!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The worst customer service you could possibly get, I got charged a finance charge on my card and I called customer service, after 20 minute wait time first time whoever answered the phone hanged up, so we got disconnected. I called again and 12 min been on hold. The representative was worthless, I am explaining and you could see on my statement that returns were made and payments were made. The balance should be zero so there is no finance charge should be on my credit card. I always pay in full, never carry balance. Again, if you can avoid using this credit card please do so, as you will get financed charge doesn't matter what, do not use Target REDcard.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

It is always hard to log onto Target site to pay the bill. But today, I was not able to get on at all. It will not accept my logon and password. I have not changed info and I have always had a difficult time but this is too much. I am going to the store and pay off this weekend and close account. I fear it will cause me to be late or credit reporting issues and I am not having that because Target chooses to not have an easy way to log on to manage my account. I wished I could have given no stars at all. Bye Target!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Same experience as post on Sept. 20. Redcard claims my sister's routing number was wrong. No papers to show their mistake. This is a scam, charging people a fee they don't owe. My sister's bank said there was no mistake with the routing number. Redcard is fraudulent. Customer be aware, your credit score goes down when you get their card. No tangible proof of routing mistake. Your mistake Redcard money will not be paid!! And to say that they cannot clear their mistake, really...

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

A week after I went school shopping at Target I paid off my Target Red Card balance online. I never received a notification that the payment had posted. So a few days later I checked my account to find that my payment HAD posted. So I decided to check again a few days later to be sure the balance was updated. It was not. So I called the customer service number and after asking the barely English speaking employee if I could speak to a manager Jessica, the supervisor, tells me it’s a problem with the bank routing number. So we rectify the issue and I pay off my balance... again. The next day (today) I receive a notice in the mail telling me that my credit card account has been CLOSED. Yes, closed.

Well, yesterday, Jessica said nothing about my account being closed; in fact, she was instructing me on alternate ways of paying balances in the future. So I called back just now and spoke to a supervisor named Brittany who apologized but told me there was nothing they could do. SO. To sum up - I paid off my Target Red Card balance a week after my purchase, one week later, with ZERO notice AT ALL, my credit card account is closed by Target. AND THERE’S NOTHING THEY CAN DO. I haven’t even had the card a month. This credit card company is a joke at best.

I keep reading that the Target Red Card credit card company seems very small and unprofessional - I should have been warned by the horribly chintzy website. Most reviews I’ve read consistently state that the Target card company does NOT notify of problems with payment or auto payments that aren’t working anymore so they can just go ahead and wreck your credit etc without even a hint that something is amiss. I'm done with Target. I hope they fall apart. STAY AWAY FROM TARGET RED CARD.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I attempted to change my checking account when moving and it apparently did not go through - I was never notified that it did not go through and they ended up drafting my old account that I was in the process of closing. I did not receive normal notifications that they were charging my old account until 4 days later! Every time I have used my RedCard, I receive a notification almost instantly that the $ is coming out of my account.

I now have $185 in overdraft fees since they drafted the funds out of my account I am closing due to the move and all Target can say is, "We cannot see that you changed your account on the 13th" while refusing to acknowledge that if they could see it, we wouldn't have a problem! I never received confirmation via email or app that my checking account was changed, even when I called to confirm it. This is extremely poor customer service and I am out $185, not Target. I will take my $ somewhere else and encourage all of my teacher friends to do the same. Supporting teachers is just a marketing campaign for Target. They do not really care about their customers, especially their teacher customers.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have been a REDcard holder since 2005. I use the card frequently, pay in full monthly, and have it set to autopay generated from Target's end so I haven't encountered any issues with late fees. In short, I've never had a reason to contact Card Services before. I am in the process of securing a mortgage. Like I mentioned earlier, I use the card frequently. Last month I charged $19 on the account, with a minimum payment of $19. This came up on my application for the mortgage, it didn't show that the $19 was not still outstanding. The underwriters requested a zero balance letter to include with my application. I didn't think much of it. How hard could it be to get that? In fact, I had to request it for my Sam's Club Mastercard as well, which I use for groceries but pay in full each month and that was a breeze. Not only did they send it to my lender, they also dropped a copy of it in the mail for me.

I called Target with my request and the representative was rude and impatient. I knew she must have been having a bad day when she ended the call with a terse bye. Outside of that call, I can't recall the last time a CSR hung up without asking if there was anything else they could assist me with? I was uncomfortable with the exchange because I was told they could not send an electronic letter (a pdf emailed to the lender or myself) and that the full account number would need to be listed on the letter. (I was told that my options were to have it mailed to myself, which would take 10 business days, or to fax it to my lender.) I opted to have them fax the letter to my lender and prayed that the account info would remain in safe hands. I was told the lender would have it in 24-48 hours. Ten days later, the lender still had not received it.

I contacted Card Services again and was told that the letter had been faxed. Chase hadn't received it so I again put in the request. This time I gave them a different fax number to try. The processor, who was also waiting on this information, asked that they send it directly to her. Two days later I received a call from the lending officer. She and the processor had touched base and while everything else was in place, neither had received the zero balance letter from Target. (Is this really what's going to hold up my closing!!) She asked that I try Target a third time, but suggested I call the local store directly, explain the situation, and ask for a number other than Card Services. The manager was pleasant and gladly passed on the number to Guest Services. He really seemed to believe that if I was having unresolved issues, Guest Services would be able to help.

I called the number, which was a different number than the one on the back of my card, and was connected to the same Card Services department I'd been speaking to before. This latest agent listened kindly, looked into my account, and reassured me that this third try would stick. She told me she'd put a rush on it and so the bank should receive it in 24-48 hours (exactly the same time frame I'd been given with the other two calls so I'm not sure how that is a rush job). She also told me that the notes reflected that I had requested the full account number be included in the letter but that they were unable to do that. They could only include the last four numbers. I laughed out loud because when the first CSR told me the full account had to be included, I'd asked if we could just show the last four digits and she told me that wasn't how it was done.

The third CSR was by far the friendliest and most helpful but she didn't really provide new information and it remains to be seen if the problem (why is this even a problem?!) will actually be resolved. As a side note, my balance is still zero so I am hopeful that the first letter(s) with the full account info never existed and I can stop worrying about the account being compromised. I'll keep watching for any activity on the card.

Original review: May 17, 2018

24.15% and have the credit card and change banking institutes. They don't notify you until collection that auto-payments aren't going thru even though you updated account info on debit card. They don't connect more too. They contact you until they've done damage to your credit rating... Suck on Target Red Card!!! You'll not get another dime of interest ever from me.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I received a call saying my account was compromised but they would not give me any information. They asked for very personal Id such as Social Security card and driver's license front and back. Every time I faxed info they would add more than they wanted to see. The company must be very small as I kept getting the same arrogant people who were of no help. My account was frozen for no reason and no way to straighten it out. It’s the worse company I have ever dealt with in my life and I don’t see how they stay in business.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I used my bank’s online payment to pay my Target Redcard in the amount of $44.05 in January of 2018. I received my statement in February which stated I owed $44.05 plus a substantial late charge. I contacted Target Card Services and filed a merchant dispute. It turns out I sent the payment to an old Target Credit Card that I no longer used. I opened a new Target Card last Christmas to get the discount on a new purchase. I agreed that I made an error but Target still cashed the check. This has been a nightmare. I have been going back and forth between my bank and Target Card Services since February of this year. My bank has submitted documentation to prove the money was sent to Target several times but Target still insists they did not receive the money and sends me another bill. Target insists the money was sent back to my bank but I never received a credit to my account. Very unprofessional. I will never use the Target Redcard again.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Horrible customer service policies. I submitted my payment over a week in advance just for them to charge me a $10 fee for returned payment. I caught the issue early enough so that I could still get them the funds before the due date and they weren't willing to do a courtesy one time waiver. For doing business with them for over 10 years it's unfortunate that they lost a customer over a $10 fee even though they still received their payment before the due date.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Ok so you can be awesome pay your card on time for YEARSSS and then you mess up by paying a few days late (like I did in July 2017 due to a death in the family) and pay right away and ask for late fee of $35 to be refunded, which they said they would after chastising me like if I was a child. THEN here I am March 2018 and again I paid ONE day late, yes ONE day I have a lot of things going on and no Target is not the only card in my life so I call them ask them to PLEASE credit me $35. I use their card all of the time, my husband has one as well, they get more than enough with the interest fees etc. and they say NOOO because I was already credited once in July of 2017! I'm like ok... Well sorry things happen, I speak to 2 different people, message, etc and they REFUSE, I've never dealt with a company like this! CHASE is super understanding, I recommend Chase Freedom card!!! Screw TARGET!

Original review: March 26, 2018

Please check your Target.com Red Card bills. They are overcharging the amount that you are given at the time of purchase. Their bill is set up to confuse you with numerous odd amounts for each item you purchase. I was supposed to get two FREE $5 gift cards with purchase. I was charged for them and also was charged tax! When I called them, they said the cards were charged but the amount was adjusted - it was not. When I asked about the extra money I was charged they said it was extra tax. Huh? For what? They can't account for the money either and I argued four times with them. If they do this for every Red Card customer every month imagine how much $ Target is making!

Original review: March 23, 2018

In November I made a purchase and again in December. Early January I received a call that my account was past due. I paid it in full while on the phone figuring I must have missed a paying a bill. Just last week (March 2018) I got a call that my account was 3 months past due. I have not received a Target bill at all and have not used my card since December. Looking into it more, the past due is from a Dec 20th purchase - so when I told them to pay my balance in full over the phone, they left out a purchase I had made 3 weeks prior since it was not "due" yet. So, was charged $38x4 in late fees since November of 2017 without actually receiving a bill telling me that I owed money. They did refund 2 of the late fees but claimed that is the most they can credit back. They also had the ridiculous suggestion that I call regularly the check on my balance. I cancelled my card and will only be using Target as a last resort from here on out.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I purchase an average of 1 item a month online from Target and have paid my credit and balance on time, in full every month. I have a current balance of $138 due to be paid in 8 days. I'm trying to purchase a $90 gift from their gift registry and it won't accept my REDcard as payment. After much time and numerous phone calls I found out they have a credit limit on my account of only $200. So until they receive my $138 payment I can not purchase this gift item. I have a credit score of 820 and called Target credit and asked to have my limit raised from $200 to $300. They told me they would submit the request and I will receive a letter from Target to let me know if the additional $100 will be allowed.

I was told it will take "1, 2 or 3 months" to hear back from them. I will pay me $138 balance early so I can purchase the gift the person is registered for. Then I'll never spend another penny at Target. Having to wait up to 3 months to approve a $100 credit increase when I have an 820 credit score is RIDICULOUS. I've worked in the financial industry for years. It takes 1 minute to pull a credit bureau and see EVERY bill in my entire life has been paid in full on or before its due date.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I use this card but I try and make payments in full at the end of the month. Each time I do, Target holds the payment for 15 days! Each time I've had to call them to "release my funds early" so that I can use my credit line. Each time I've called or emailed them, its a very different reason why they do this (and mind you, it's the only card I own that does this). They claim it's for fraud protection. In case people make a payment to the wrong account (wtf? so everyone has to be penalized for those few?). They claim it's because if it's a young account, they don't have a history of payment established yet. This is the real shady answer - They say they do it for all for protection but they recommend not making a payment as large so that the payment is not delayed... most people adjust. WTF? So don't make a large enough payment so you can accrue interest?

All this is BS and it seems like it.s just a way to take your funds and leave them in a money market account long enough to generate additional interest for profit. Not to protect the consumer. I've attached the latest email from them trying to explain this and basically reiterate that they released my funds again after yet another call.

Target Credit Card Company Information