3.9/5 (568 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Target Credit Card

Target Credit Cards come with benefits like additional time for returns and discounts whether you shop in stores or online. Cardholders also get free shipping on most items when purchased from Target’s website. See if you qualify for credit by applying online or by mail. Some restrictions apply.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Target Credit Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target Credit Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target Credit Card?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

I used my card at a Racetrac with a locking card mechanism which malfunctioned and kept my card. For 10 mins we tried to get the card out, I had an employee out helping me and they ended up calling for a technician but they were backed up for four hours. We yanked and pulled and canceled the sale over and over. I left my name and number and went to find something to do for four hours. About 10 mins later I get called by an employee who says a random person entered the store, said they got my card out, called the number on the back, cancelled my card, and then 'destroyed it', and then left the store. They were unable to recover the card or pieces of it.

I immediately called Target when that call ended. I called Target because you CAN NOT cancel a card, put a hold on a card, or reissue a NEW card number online. It's infuriating. I have a CREDIT CARD, a MASTERCARD, through Target with thousands in credit, and it's not treated like a credit card. It's not secure, it doesn't have accessibility online or proper security controls online. You have to call to do anything meaningful. An employee listened to my story and then told me that since I was not the account holder that I could not put a hold on the card, cancel the card, or reissue the card.

Meanwhile on the website it repeatedly says that when you add a cardholder they are considered to have full account access and the account holder is responsible for any actions they make with their card because the authorized card holders have full access to the credit lines. So...that's not true? Because if I had full access, I'd be able to cancel and reissue a STOLEN CARD.

So yeah, my card is stolen and I have to wait for my disabled mom to get up to call Target because you can't secure your account without the account holder. This is ignoring that I have PoA anyway and can legally manage her monetary accounts anyway. All that said, that proves the person lied and stole my card because Target won't cancel/stop a card if you're not the account holder. Fantastic. It's just a bad credit card in regards to security.

Original review: June 9, 2022

There was a credit card account opened in my name by a family member back when I was 19 and did not know how to check my credit. Target refuses to remove the charge off from my credit, despite me paying it off. I explained the entire situation to one of their “account managers” and even though I took responsibility for it and paid it, they still slapped a “charge off” status on my credit just to make sure this would have a huge negative impact on my financial life for 7 more years from the payoff date.When attempting to explain the situation to their “account manager” all she had to say was “there’s nothing we can do, maybe try sending us letter instead.” So the few points you should take from this is

1. They do not know how to properly check for identity theft. If someone has your social, they’ll give them a credit card and make you responsible.
2. They offer no solutions for you in the event that this does occur.
3. They have no online or phone solutions, and will instead ask you to send them a handwritten letter like we’re living in the 1800s.

4. Even after you give up and pay them, they’ll still make sure you never get passed it, by putting a “charge off” status on the account in your credit.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2022

If you use this card make sure you sign up for paper statements because they make it impossible for you to sign into your account to check your bill. I am left guessing each month, trying to remember if I used the card, and how much I might owe. They will let me sign in to the Target website and recognize my computer, but when I go to the red-card link, they insist they do not recognize my computer and require a verification through my phone. They then fail to send the verification code. This is simple coding and if they do this repeatedly, it is obviously by design. It must lead them to make a fortune on late fees... Especially if they are not sending paper bills. I'm going to tear the card up and I'll be less likely to choose Target in the future.

Original review: May 31, 2022

The card itself is good I guess and saves you 5% on purchases but if you ever want a credit line increase you have to fight for it even if you've been a customer of theirs for years and years and I've never paid a late payment in my life. It used to be you could get on the phone with them and they could look at your account and they would let you know right then whether or not you qualified for an increase. Now it takes 6 to 12 months for the "system" to approve you and if you try to call and get a status of it or talk to anybody about it, nobody can tell you an answer because it's not them that does it, it's the "system". Apparently Target has decided to outsource their operations overseas so the department that supposedly handles this is in India and nobody can call them to inquire, they can only send a message, but either way you don't get an answer because they never call you back to let you know what happened.

I've been trying to get an increase since September 2021, have talked to a dozen Cust Svc Reps since then, and still no word. And I can almost bet that as of September of this year (which will be the max 12 months you're supposed to have to wait) that I still won't have an answer. It's sad the way these companies treat good customers. I guess by then I'll decide if I'm going to close my account and take my business somewhere else because things like this are ridiculous for no reason at all!!!

Original review: April 5, 2022

I had just a Target Red Card in 2016 with at 250.00 limit. They upped my limit to 500.00 shortly after using the card in 2016 and kept raising it. I was upgraded to a Target MasterCard in 2017 or 2018 with a 9,000.00 limit. Then in 2019 upgraded to a 11,000.00 limit. The bank behind this card is TD Bank USA, N.A. and the interest rate was terrible and the website for making payments is not well designed. If large payments are made they can take a long time to post which is frustrating. Customer service is ok but not the best when you call. The Target MasterCard rewards are not worth it and you just cash them out and get a gift card to use at target. Avoid this card the interest rate is terrible and the bank behind the card is average at best.

Original review: March 25, 2022

Between log into the Target Store itself. That's one thing. But to make it so bloody hard to sign into their Red Card account. I know my user & password but each time they say it wrong. I'm done trying.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I have had this card for a year and a half. Limit was 500. I don't use this card much. Target reduced my limit to 200 due to the fact I don't use it much. I have 24 cards and none of them have done this. My credit score took a hit which is unfortunate. I called. Customer service was extremely rude. I would have never opened this. Had I known this was their practice. I've worked so hard on my credit and took a 19 point hit because I didn't use the card as much as Target thinks I should.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

At least once a year they charge a $99 charge to my account without permission. They state that I gave permission in order to receive on-line orders next day with no shipping fee. It is difficult to get any of the customer service reps to assist you because they are trained to frustrate you and then they just hang up. Sorry Target. I love your goods and your incentives but the headache is not worth it. Closing my account.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

The worse credit card I have ever had. Customer service is rude and absolutely not helpful! For the years I have had this card has been nothing but trouble and I can't wait to close it once I buy our house. Here is my reason to stay clear:

1. They had payment issues at the beginning my payments went through 1st couple months then all of a sudden I am getting calls because they didn't receive a payment. Took me a while to get my money back and straightened out. In the meantime I had to make another payment.

2. You do not want to miss a payment. Accidents happen for everyone even errors from the company happen, but you miss one payment and their "collections" team will call you. Instead of nicely informing the card member of missed payment they are rude and treat you like have went months without payment and owe an ungodly amount of money. I always pay my card at least a week before due date.

3. If you need any timely documents be prepared to wait. They can't email you but can fax and they have issues with faxing their paperwork. You might just want to wait for the mail, 5-7 business days, for what you urgently need.

4. Don't ever use any other card information other than your own to make a payment. I helped a family member make a payment on their card. It was a one time payment and we made sure that was stressed. Instead they kept my bank account info and continued to charge me for their account as well as linked my phone number to their account. That took 2 months for things to be fixed on their end with no explanation as to why they saved my info to their account.

5. 9 times out of 10 customer service is just rude.

I personally go the card for the discount and free shipping but it's not worth it!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Like other low raters here, I've also had nothing but problems with them lately. My payments were ALWAYS on time, every month. Then this December, suddenly their website has issues. Can't log in or make payments. And somehow my routing # is wrong.. when my prior payments went through just fine. Their supposed Guest Relations sends me an official looking letter about my 'troubled account' - and when I call, it's just another outsourced hold line, that call back. Such a bunch of rubbish. I had full trust in my Red Card...until they outsourced their billing and support, like everyone else.

Target Credit Card Company Information