Find a Credit Cards partner

3. Credit Cards

3.8/5 (365 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Target Credit Card

Target Credit Cards come with benefits like additional time for returns and discounts whether you shop in stores or online. Cardholders also get free shipping on most items when purchased from Target’s website. See if you qualify for credit by applying online or by mail. Some restrictions apply.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Target Credit Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target Credit Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target Credit Card?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I have been using my Target Master Card for about 2 years now and I find it extremely useful for everyday purchases. I was given a large credit limit which allows me to make large purchases. In addition to the convenience, I can benefit from a 5% discount off my purchases when I shop at Target stores.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I made a payment in the Target store on my Target RedCard by check for $5,866.00 on June 8, 2021. The payments was credited to my account and then subsequently removed on August 1, 2021. Upon inquiry to target red card the check was confirmed cashed by target on August 10, 2021. I have been in contact with target red card services and told I need to wait while they research the payment. I have provided a copy of the cashed check, receipt of in store payment, and related transactions on my target red card. It is now October 1st, 2021 and nothing as of yet.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

When you call they ask for last numbers of SSI and when you call the first people answering is overseas people. They can not be trusted with your bank info. They double charge. Also, mailing payment is always delayed.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I was charged a return payment fee of $29.00 for a small auto pay I didn’t authorize and I cancel this payment and there was a online glitch to the Target app. I called target to dispute the fee and they refused to refund me and wanted me call my bank and waste their time… I’m looking forward of closing this credit card after I paid it off in full… And also they denied all of my previous disputes and never resolved them.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Contacted Target Redcard customer service and dispute department today, 3/23/21, due to a hold they placed on my account. In Feb 2021, OR experienced a statewide weather/storm event in which our governor declared a state of emergency, we were frozen over and did not have access to banks (they were closed), everything was shut down, and no power for several days. I have been a Redcard holder for several years, no prior or previous incidents or issues, all payments have been made on time, as my credit history shows. Feb 2021, my online payment was returned due to non-sufficient funds, as I was unable to deposit money into our account due to closures and shutdown due to severe ice and snow, we were unable to leave our home.

The following week, upon the banks re-opening we were able to deposit funds and our bank refunded all overdraft/NSF fees back to our acct, and told us to contact the credit card companies to have them re-submit for payment and to return or void off any NSF fees on their end. So I contacted Target at that time, and the customer service rep stated that they had to file a request with their Dispute Dept to have the $29 NSF removed from my acct. Fast forward to today, 3/23/21, upon checking my acct online (and after making two significant payments since that time) my Target credit acct is STILL frozen, because of the $29 NSF fee that the rep in Feb never put in a request to have removed! I spent 2 HOURS on the phone, transferred several times in attempt to resolve this.

They informed me that I had to file a dispute with their Dispute Dept to have the $29 removed from my acct, and that I have to give them permission to contact my bank to confirm the weather incident/shut down, and to confirm that my fees on the bank's end had been returned AND that my two payments in Feb and March had cleared my account....that I was REQUIRED to give them access to my PERSONAL BANK ACCT to verify this!!! I was highly uncomfortable, but because they said it was they ONLY way they would credit back my acct and take the hold off I reluctantly gave them my bank's phone number...the Target Dispute rep called my bank on 3-way and in order for me to verify my acct I had to give my SS# or bank acct number to bank rep...

I was HIGHLY uncomfortable doing this!!! But it had to be verified Target rep said, so I gave my SS# to verify my acct so they could talk with my bank. I am SICK inside that the Target rep demanded this, and now has complete access to my SS#!!! Upon verifying and getting confirmation from the bank, he claimed that he submitted a request to have the $29 NSF fee removed from my acct, and I asked about the current hold, and that the bank rep confirmed that both payments, including March payment on the 11th had cleared my acct...he confirmed that yes, the bank did verify that, however that is not "his dept" and that I would need to be transferred back to customer service to have the hold removed off of my acct...

I requested for him to indicate in the notes that he verified payment confirmation with my bank so that I would have to go through everything again, he claimed that he did note that information and transferred me back to customer service. Customer service transferred me to a supervisor who informed me that the Dispute Dept did NOT note that my bank confirmed the payment and that SHE would have to contact my bank if I wanted the hold take off!!!

It has been 13 days since I made my payment to Target, 12 days since it posted/cleared my checking acct, and their (Target) credit acct as well, and yet they demanded AGAIN to contact my bank, even after I complained that their rep has my personal private info already and I refused to submit to that again, and I requested the recorded call with the Dispute rep and was the recordings are "random" and most likely no record, and to submit the request in writing. I was told to complain in writing, yet if I wanted the current hold removed she needed to speak to my bank herself, even after she verified that he spoke to my bank!!!

So some random Target rep has my SS# because it is "Target Policy" that they require customers to give their personal bank acct information/SS# to access acct to verify funds/fee/payments clearing (even though they can see it has cleared on their end). I asked the supervisor what gives their company authority to require personal bank acct access in order to have a fee removed and/or a hold removed from credit acct, and her response was "It's Target Policy."

NO credit card company should EVER be able to strongarm, bully, demand, or require a customer to give out private personal identity and/or bank information in order to have a fee removed from their account, especially when the State of Emergency information with date is posted on the internet by the state's Governor's office (easily verifiable), and was incurred not due to the customer's own fault. NO hold should have been placed on my acct (punished) because it was clearly not my fault to begin with! AND THEY STILL HAVEN'T REMOVED HOLD!!!! I REFUSED to give the supervisor my personal bank information again, and told her why, so she refused to remove the hold. This has got to STOP!!!

How many customers have they done this to?? ONE IS TOO MANY!!! How many customer's identity has been compromised due to Target "policy" to require actually speaking on the phone with the customer's personal bank?! I have NOT EVER heard of this from any other company in all my years. NEVER. This MUST be investigated and something legally needs to be done/changed to shut this down! I have been violated today, and was forced to pay for a credit/identity protection company now!! I am also filing complaints with their higher management as well as the BBB and CFPB.

Original review: March 13, 2021

I use to like to shop at Target and use my credit card very often for few years. I never miss a payment and have good credit scores, one day, with no explanation, they reduce my credit limit. I keep making my payments obviously, but I do not use the card anymore, neither shop at Target. Sorry.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

"Customer service" is non-existent, the only "benefit" is the 5% off at Target which actually only lowers the price closer to what Walmart sells stuff for. You might say "oh but what about the free shipping you get with the card?" Not worth it. They have a "minimum purchase" just to ship! You can't even pay for shipping instead of meeting the minimum! I wanted to change my statement closing date on all of my cards to the same day. That way I can pay them off and have a clean slate for the new month. I had ZERO problems with Chase doing that. I sent them a secure message and bam! Job done.

This card though... They said, "Oh we need to wait until your statement has closed to do that" + "here is a phone number to call... " So I waited until the statement had closed and again they come up with some ** reason not to do their job and give me a phone # to call. This time it was "oh you have auto-pay". Also, they are excruciatingly slow to post anything and have some weird double pending thing that happens constantly. I would cancel this card but that would lower my credit score. I just do not use it much instead since I have cashback cards that are far superior to this **!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Target credit card lowers people's credit limit without notification. If they deem that you don't use their card enough, they lower your limit. They claim they mail a letter, but they obviously don't because others on this site have stated they didn't receive them. They say they notify you by statement, but if you don't have a balance, they don't produce a statement. They affect people's credit scores without any regard, and when you inquire, the responses are very rude!

We have had the card for years, and have never once paid late! I for one will never step foot in another Target store because they use a bank to administer their credit cards that want to make sure you make them a sufficient amount of money to keep you as a customer. Other retail cards have routinely INCREASED my credit limit as an encouragement to come shop. Bye Target and Bye Red Card! Stay as far away from them as possible, as they do not care about their customers at all! Inexcusable to be negatively impacting people's credit score with no reason and during a pandemic!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

I had this card 10 years. During COVID I didn't use my Target card for 6 months, and had a zero balance. Suddenly I get a notification that there has been a major score drop due to a significant decrease in available balance on a card. My Target credit card available balance has been decreased by over %35 "automatically" by the system for non-usage. According to the rude rep and manager Shawn there is nothing they can do. A letter was sent via USPS. When I stated I didn't get this letter he says basically not surprised since the mail is running so slow due to COVID. Mind you this wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't for the fact I am in the middle of looking for a place and this mishap dropped my score 18 points!! Target basically said, "Too bad not our problem." After being a great credit card customer for 10+ years that's what I get?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

Target lost my full one-time payment and verified it by my bank. The Dispute Dept/Customer Service doesn't communicate with Collections. The Dispute Department has 30 days to resolve the issue. Meanwhile, as they delay, the customer's credit rating adversely impacted. When you call, they hang up on you with no resolve even though you are not at fault. It's not worth the 5% discount with this type of customer service.

Target Credit Card Company Information