2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.22/5

Target Credit Cards come with benefits like additional time for returns and discounts whether you shop in stores or online. Cardholders also get free shipping on most items when purchased from Target’s website. See if you qualify for credit by applying online or by mail. Some restrictions apply.

Target Credit Card Learn More

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Target Credit Card Reviews

Original review: May 24, 2020

Stay away from this credit card. Target will not protect you or your Target Redcard from fraudulent charges and/or identity theft, and will actively block you from reporting credit card fraud. The "rcam" website for the card is ancient, impossible to navigate, and does not have a "report fraud" or "dispute a charge" feature as all other credit card companies do. Target will not work with you through their own website's secure messaging, not through email, and not through the phone as no one has been answering Target's 800 number through the entirety of the pandemic. Unlike other major corporations, Target has not entered the 21st century, you can't even DM them through Twitter, @Target and @AskTarget will just ignore you. There is simply no way to report credit card fraud, much less get assistance in resolving even the smallest Target Redcard issue. Target is constantly in the news for credit card fraud for a reason - buyer beware.

Original review: April 15, 2020

Never have I ever in my 20 years of owning a credit card had a company to decrease my credit limit. After months of paying this card down the company decreases your credit limit without notifying you. This negatively affects your credit report because the payments made to pay the account down has been taken away and your debt to balance ratio is higher than the month before due to this. The interest rates are high. Best to go with any credit card but this one.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2020

I signed up for the credit card only to discover that they have interest rates hitting you based on their revolving statements being issued. I signed up for the account on 3/26/2020, activated my card on 4/2/2020. Set up MyRedCard on the website on 4/10/2020, only to discover that my small amount of purchases were due on 4/16/2020 or I get charged 25% APR! What the heck?!! So much for the 5% savings. You have to pay that balance ASAP or they are going to sneak a way to add interest on there. NONE OF THIS WAS MADE UPFRONT WITH ME. I had to do my own investigating to figure out how they were being sneaky with their customers. Add on top of everything else, I needed to return one item because it didn't fit and I can't return it before the account statement due date because of COVID-19! What the heck?! So I have to get charged interest on an item that doesn't fit me and I have no way to return it. Neat trick there, Target.

Customer service? We're sorry, our offices are close. Neat. Needless to say, I've taken note of how they practice predatory interest policies and I paid off the balance in full so that I can retain my 5% savings, which is why I got the blasted card to begin with. If you get one of their cards, take note that they will sneak in an account balance date that you will be charged interest on FAR FASTER than the standard 30 day policy. In my case, it was 14 days after my card was activated. Had I not gone online and scoured through their clunky system, I would have been bamboozled by their atrocious interest rates and lost all of the 5% savings that I signed up for. Proceed, but proceed with eyes wide open and with caution.

Original review: March 24, 2020

I’d had issues with their system first not processing my payment and then locking me out. Their hours of operation wouldn’t allow for most working consumers to spend 45 minutes hold time to wait for an answer. I’d moved and lost the card itself so I attempted to go into Target with my SSN and ID to apply a payment only to find that no one there could assist me further and only to be able to give me the number to their customer service. After about a month, I finally had a day to call them and after nearly an hour's wait time, I got through to be told I’d have to contact a technical department for assistance to reset my user ID and password. After several more hours, I could finally reset. Once logged in, my payment wouldn’t process once more and timed out repeatedly.

The sixth or seventh attempt finally brought me to a screen that read that the payment wouldn’t process for that day's date but rather the following. The following day would make my payment late and because of all the runaround I was reported 30 days late on a payment. I tried to again call a customer service agent to explain how everything took place and ask that they consider their technical issue preventing me from submitting my payment on time and I spoke with someone who addressed themself as “Axel.”

Axel spoke of fair reporting citing that the technical issue didn’t need consideration because they had the right to report that the payment was late. As I began to explain that I’d just been on hold for 45 minutes as I had been several times in the past trying to connect with someone for assistance to be able to make the payment. Axel said something to deflect answering what other option I would have had if not able to get information about my account online and with eStatments already set as my preference and then pretended that our connection went bad and they couldn’t hear me.

I’m going to call back again tomorrow as in I’m quarantine and once more will have time to sit waiting for an hour and will be requesting an actual supervisor review the recording on the call we just had at 20 minutes to 8pm on 03/23/2020. Ridiculous behavior for a representative to make like technical issues up the whazoo allows for customers to simply deal with what they delve out.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

In early 2019, our home was flooded and we had to demolish it. This whole situation has set us back financially and emotionally. I partially blame this disaster for what happened below. That being said, I had a Target Red Card for over 10 years. Recently, I attempted to make a payment, pulling money from a new checking account. When I was keying it in, Target's system would not allow me to click on CHECKING so I clicked on SAVINGS thinking it would not make much of a difference. WRONG! The payment bounced back. The next time I entered the account number it did allow me to click on CHECKING, but I accidentally keyed the account number and it was one digit short. It was returned again. Within a few days of that attempt to pay the account they closed my account and refused to consider the situation. On top of it, they popped my interest rate up to almost 25%.

I spoke with representatives at the company on 3 different occasions asking for consideration on the fees, or the interest rate, or re-opening the account. The answer was NO! NO! NO! The implication was that I was fraudulently handling my account which is ABSOLUTELY BOGUS! I will never shop their stores! I think they are money hungry and do not care one tiny bit about their customers!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target Credit Card?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

They gave me $300. I only spent $40. Now I can't get into my account. I have to call the 1 800 number to hear how much I owe. I think I'll just pay it off. Then close my account. It's just not worth having to me.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Got RedCard this September, first bill went to old address, Target notified me I was late and, horrified, I paid the balance in full and have done so ever since. Didn't matter. Target randomly declines the card. Multiple calls to nightmarish overseas customer service resulted in being told everything was "Fine" even as their own store continued to randomly either decline or accept the card.

Today, 1/20/20, it gets declined. I call. Target admits I paid the monthly balance in full on January 8. But they never credited it to my account! Why? I had charged over $1000.0 and had paid the full amount. This "Large payment" triggered a "Warning" since I had a "Record" of "Late payment problems". To compound the problem, no one would tell me when target would finally post the payment to my account to clear it. So I paid off the final balance over the phone and cancelled the card. I couldn't take it anymore. I love target but red card is very badly managed and they have driven me away as a card user.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

The information Obtained from talking to Target Red card rep is that the late fee won’t incur more late fees after closing the account, it will just STAY THERE doing nothing — NOT TRUE! Two months later a statement came in for two more late fees based on the one late fee not taken cared of before closing! Target account retention won’t even talk to you after giving the wrong info putting me in $90+ debt leaving me to collection, which can only tell me sorry but I have to pay. — what about sorry and you pay the bill!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I have had this account for over 15 years. I was always in good standing and they consistent raised my credit limit. Recently I moved into a new house and hiked my balance up. I went to pay half that balance by adding a new account which I ended up missing one number that caused the account to reject and I got hit with an insufficient fund fee. Fine. Whatever. I reloaded the account, made that big payment, and it cleared no problem, but then the next day I get an email from my credit monitoring company that my Target acct was closed. Knowing that I didn't close it, I sent an email to investigate it. According to the rep that responded, I had "too many" aka 1 insufficient funds transaction and therefore they permanently closed my account and it can't be reopened. No notice, no attempt to rectify, no nothing.

It dropped my credit score 21 points and I'm beyond upset that years and years of being a good customer, I make one mistake and just like that, they close the account with no notice. I pulled the account terms and couldn't believe that I read that target has the right to cancel an account for "any reason described or for no reason at all". No reason at all?!? Shutting accounts down for no reason at all when people literally rely on these accounts should be ILLEGAL!!! I will never shop there again. I will warn everyone about how this company scams people and I will keep posting a million bad reviews.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I have had my Target RedCard for 7 months now. I have NEVER missed a payment with them. I have also NEVER had a payment returned to them for any reason. I ALWAYS pay my balance down to 20% EVERY MONTH. I paid it this December 17th, and the payment cleared my bank on December 18th. They REFUSE to post it to my available credit. It is not like I need it, or at this point would use it. However, there is NO REASON that they should be holding my payment hostage. My e-mails to them and phone calls have all gone with BS excuses. Now they want me to call my bank on a conference call with them. This is ridiculous to say the least. I will be paying off this card this month, and never using it again.

Target Credit Card Company Information