Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Target Credit Card
3.50/5

Target Credit Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Target Credit Card Reviews

Original review: May 9, 2019

I have had a Target RedCard since 2003. Never had a problem until now. I made a larger payment than usual and brought my balance to $0.00. That was back in April. I wanted to use the card again to save 5% at Target, but now, weeks later, the available credit remains at $0.00. It was embarrassing to have my card declined in the store, when I should have had over $3,000 of available credit! It has been more than two weeks now. The payment cleared my bank on day 3, and Target still hasn't processed my payment. On one phone call, the representative pretended she couldn't hear me.

On another, they tried to do a conference call with my bank, and entering the call means typing in my SSN and Phone PIN. NOT GONNA HAPPEN during a conference call with a third party! When and if this issue gets resolved, I will be closing my Target RedCard account and shopping elsewhere. They lost a loyal customer of 16 years because of the difficulty they are having in processing my payment. What they are doing feels more like a scam than a credit card account. This is what they get for outsourcing to the lowest bidder.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I paid my credit card slightly larger than usual, $150 to $450 to use on vacation instead of carrying cash. Target is refusing to change my availability from ZERO. It’s been 14 days, 1 phone call, several emails. They keep insisting they want to CALL MY BANK??? I've never they can go to HELL. In this day of age, my payments have always cleared for 16 years same checking account. But in December they raised my limit by an extra $1000 but won’t credit my $500 payment. I don't have excellent credit but I'm not horrible either. My husband is furious, as am I. I hope their stores close!

Original review: April 25, 2019

I ran into a financial problem during the holidays and was late on my Target card payment; I set up a payment plan with them to get back on track. I have had nothing but problems with it since; they keep saying my bank has returned the payment even though it is the same bank I have used for close to 10 years. I even switched my account to my savings account to see if this would rectify the problem, it did not. I called them again and was told that due to my non-payment (what???) they were closing my account and I had to pay double the amount I had been told to pay. I explained this was unacceptable and I wanted to speak to a manager; I was told a manager would call me back, no one did, of course. I received an email survey asking if I was satisfied with my issue; I said I was not and would like a phone call...no call. I have written emails to two corporate executives about the situation and still have not heard back. Unbelievable.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I've had a Red Card for a few years and was never really pleased with it. The items for sale seemed a bit expensive, and when I fell on hard times unlike other creditors, Target would not work with me on payment/late fees. I called last month to close out my account, pay my balance in full and be done with them once and for all only to get a bill in the mail today. I was extremely confused, so I called. I was informed that this was for a charge the month before I called and paid my balance off? Umm, ok. So I asked... "When I asked your representative what my total pay off balance was she left off a charge from the previous month?" She was aware of my wanting to be done with Target and this awful card. She never mentioned another payment, another bill or anything. She dropped the ball! I was not expecting another bill, and with good reason!

When I called to ask about the charge, and to explain the conversation I was repeatedly talked over. The people I spoke with were incredibly rude, especially Lauren in the disputes department. I plan to warn anyone I can about this card... I have had several, without any issues, several that actually care about customer experience, Target is not it. This is just one of the bad experiences I've had with them, hopefully the last, but who knows with them! Stay away!

Original review: April 23, 2019

We had no problems paying our bill until they closed the store near us. Their bill due date had no grace period so it had to be paid by the exact date it was due or they would add a 25 dollar late fee onto your bill. At the time they had no pay by phone and their company had already been hacked so using the internet to pay was not only a bad way to pay your bill but you also needed to use another credit card to pay using the internet. That only left two options for us to pay our bill. The first is to go across town to another store to pay it and when my husband worked 2 jobs finding the time was almost impossible. The second way was to send it by mail and cross your fingers that it gets there before they added on their high late fees. It wasn't long before the late fees they kept tacking on our bill got us to where none of our principal amount was being paid.

We called their customer service line and were told to find a way because they only cared about getting paid. We finally had no choice but to let it go to collections just to get the late fees stopped. They took a customer that paid his bill's every month and not only ruined his credit but is now ruining his life. I posted a review on their Facebook page and within minutes I had over 75 responses and most of them insulting. Posting a review this late at night would not have that many people reading reviews and I doubt they would have been so nasty. I had to remove the review because in one hour there was over a 132 reviews.

I believe Target has employees that monitor their Facebook and once there's a negative review they have their employees pretend to be people commenting and they attack you until you remove it. Target now excepts phone payments but too late to have helped us. This is a greedy company that does not care about their customers. They had just increased his credit limit right before they closed the store he paid his bill at so they can't say he didn't pay his bills.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Target?

Original review: April 17, 2019

So, like everyone else here complaining about their REDcard experience...I set up online bill pay with all of the correct banking information. Bill comes in March, I pay it off completely. Bill comes April and is ridiculously high. I go online and check to see what's going on...and sure as everyone else here...they returned my previous months bill! No notification...just a 90pt credit hit. I call to pay the bill online...very rude customer service btw...one person even pretended that they couldnt hear me and hung up. It's crazy that a big store can operate this way, extorting their customers that are trying to pay their bill off. Paid my bill off in full with cash instore...two days later the payment hasnt even posted on their site...smh...into the shredder you go target card...nothing but a big sham!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I’ve been dealing with this claim issue for over 2 months now & have spoke with several people about it. I received letters stating claim was closed in my favor but when I speak with someone on the phone they say I owe them funds, not to mention some were extremely rude. I no longer trust this company, everyone I speak with is saying something different which makes me feel uneasy. The way they do business in regards to charging the card is unorganized & the only reason I placed these specific orders was that was the only way to get the gift cards. This company is losing a 6 year customer. I’m told they charge the RedCard when orders are placed now & when items are taken from shelf, that’s untrue because items in my order were out of stock, yet I was still charged. I recently was diagnosed with a debilitating disease & don’t need this added stress.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Since they updated their log in interface almost a year ago (I think) I have had nothing but problems logging in. Every single time I try to log in they make me reset my entire account putting in all of my information card numbers etc and then reset my 3 security questions. I have written down every single question and password and make 100% sure I enter it in correctly and they still boot me instantly. It’s not like I enter it incorrect and they let me retry like every other site, as soon as I try to log in they decide I need to reset my account. Even though I’m typing my exact passwords and answers. I’m so done, will pay off and cancel. Been a member since 2013 but I’ve had enough - and apparently hundreds of others are also having this issue. There are tons of forums on it.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I got this card back during the holidays as it allowed me to get 5% off the purchases. Never had an issue, and always paid early. Took forever for the payment to post, and had to call customer service (whom conferenced in my bank) to verify payment. I then made a payment recently, had the account setup correctly (so I thought) and paid off my card again. However, no notices, no alerts, no notifications. Just started getting calls that my account was past due. Thinking it's possible spam, but just in case, went to look.

Short story, I discovered that the payment was returned (no reason specified online). After talking to customer service, was told it was due to an incorrectly setup banking account information (but no way to check as they deleted it when it's "bad"). And they would not credit the return fees as they claimed it wasn't their fault (again, no way to verify it). My credit is pretty good, and I only got this card to get a discount at the store. The employee informed me that I could do the debit card online when I returned home (of which I got denied, go figure). Let's just say, because of these methods to extract more money out of consumers, I will no longer use my card. Nor will I shop there ever again.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I applied for this account November 2018 and my first time using it was 3/27/19. I waited till the purchases showed then tried immediately to make the payments as I made purchases. Which were showing as not going through so on the 4th time I checked all the numbers and apparently I put the account numbers in wrong and I fixed it and paid in full on 4/8/2019. Yep 12 days that’s it and when I called. They said they shut my card down permanently. There is nothing they can do about it. So the credit score I have built up they have lowered by shutting my account down for paying my account balance early cause even as of this moment there is no payment due till April 19th 2019.

Yep you got it. I have never had even been late. Never had a payment due but yet because of a mistake in putting my payment info in my account was shut down in 12 days of the first use. And I am told by the service number that there is no one that can fix it. That I can complain but the supervisor of the customer service number says she is the highest rank and it’s as far as it goes and so she can’t fix it and how it affects my credit is not her problem. So I wish I would have never applied for this card that they really pushed on me every time I went to Target. It is the most horrible customer service and they obviously don’t allow any time to fix a technical error mistake. I would never recommend this card ever. The worst ever!!!

Target Credit Card Company Information