Freecreditreport.com

Compare Credit Report Sites

Research top Credit Report Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Do yourself a favor and never use this website! Nowhere to cancel the account on their website. I went to cancel on the phone and this is what happened: Scum on the phone: "Ma'am we can't cancel your account. The debit card number you provided does not match the card you charged the account with." (After I "verified" my account with them first by providing my member number, social security number, and birth date... all of which was correct and I was instructed to proceed with my account.)

Me: "Well, it's the only card I have ending in ** numbers. Also, I have the charge on my bank account... Okay, how about the member number I provided for you just now. Or the birthdate, social security number, name, and phone number that you stated was in fact correct?" Scum on the phone: "Sorry Ma'am, we won't be able to cancel your account due to an incorrect card number." Me... click (I hung up after arguing with the "Boss" of the customer account "specialist" that answered the phone..."consumeraffairs.com review here I come."

First of all there's nothing free about freecreditreport.com. Even after you sign up, you still have to pay $1 to see one score from one credit bureau. If you want to see the other two, it's $39.95. In that process they are hoping you forgot they only gave you seven days before they charge you $21.95 which they will never give you back no matter what you say. By the way that $39.95 you pay to pull your all three reports, you better make sure you copy everything to word or something, because you will only have access to see those three reports for about two days. After that you have to pay another $39.95. SCAM TO THE 10TH POWER.

While trying to be a financially responsible person and track my credit information, I opted for the 3 credit reports and FICO score option for the $39.95. While I was aware that this gave me access to the report for 180 days, what was not clear was the fact that you get access to that one day snapshot only. Meanwhile, on credit karma and other sites you can see your other three FICO scores. When I tried to address this issue I was given a runaround and they would not refund the money.

I went to freecreditreport.com and signed up for the 7-day trial for $1. I set an alarm on my phone to cancel my membership on day 6. On day 6 the alarm went off on my phone and I went to freecreditreport.com to cancel my membership. I signed into my account and went to go cancel and they asked me if I wanted to another week for one more $1. I said sure, another buck to see if my FICO goes up after paying off some credit cards. I looked at my checking account today and I see they charged me the $1 on top off another charge for $21.95. I call the number on the transaction and I get a lady from the Philippines. She states that she can see both transaction but the $1 transaction is from another website another free 7-day trial through Experian and that I never cancelled my original free trial within the 7 days and that is why I was charged the $21.95. I asked her if it was through a different company then why can you see the $1 transaction.

I politely explained what had happened and asked her for a refund. She declined and said that it was my fault because I didn't cancel within the 7 days. I asked to be transferred to the United States. They transferred me to another girls who said she was from Texas but had a strong Philippine accent. She stated that my accounts have been cancelled but she could not give me a refund because it was my fault that the account wasn't closed within 7 days. I asked her if she could refund the $1 on the new account and she said she couldn't. She could just cancel both of them.

So now I just paid $21.95 for a 1 month subscription that they just cancelled on the second day. And I paid $1 for a 7-day free trial that they just cancelled on the first day. I am going to dispute this to my bank and get these charges reversed. It is said that the way they are trying to stay in business is by screwing people out of one monthly fee. Very sad!!! Only a matter a time this business is going under.

I am a single mother looking to move into my own apartment soon. In order to do so, I went on this website which for a $1.00 didn't even give me my score!! (Scam number 1). So I went to the next step and got my $39.95 report from all three credit reporters. 8 days later I was charged 21.95 by Experian (second scam). I called the number that my bank statement showed for the pending transaction. I was so upset when I called in and an Experian employee stated to me that I cannot get my refund but I can cancel my membership.

"What membership?" I stated, "What membership?" "Your website clearly states "no hidden fees". Why am I being charged a total of $61.90 in less than 8 days." She stated that I had 7 days to cancel my membership. By retrieving my $1.00 credit report I automatically enrolled into a membership. I was furious and stated, "Cancel this scam of a membership I was auto enrolled in and never charge my bank card again." SCAM!!! SCAM!! SCAM!! They only monopolize off of people that are trying to better their lives. Evil!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freecreditreport.com?

I filled out all of my required information to get my free Experian credit report. I did not sign up for their offered bonus. I was never able to view my credit score. That is what I needed to apply for a loan. Now they have all of my personal info and I have nothing.

We went online in September to check for my husband's credit score. It offered a FREE credit report but needed a credit card to get personal information. HE NEVER agreed to pay ANY monthly contract; otherwise, he would have just canceled the request. He deployed overseas in October. Now, we are noticing two charges: 1 in December and the 1 January!? Why in God's Name would he want to be checking his credit score while he is deployed! Bad way of doing business. Never again will we visit these kind of sites.

I was curious about my credit score. So I went to www.freecreditreport.com. I actually paid the extra money for all three credit reports. I tried to look carefully on the site for any recurring charges. Nothing appeared to be there. A couple months later, I had been charged twice for something from the site. I checked and they had set me up on Membership. I was buying a single pull of my credit reports for all three credit agencies, and somehow got put on a Membership. I then called to cancel and get a refund. They said "it was in the terms & conditions". After arguing and pleading, they only gave me back one of the charges. They have no problem plaster tons of huge graphics and ads during the process. However, they cannot put in a noticeable location that they are going to keep taking money from you. Seems like a scam to me.

I am already a member and paying $22 per month. I was showing my brother and his wife who live overseas how this service works. Experian started charging my card for both, and when I discovered it few months later, they refused to credit me for charges neither I, nor my brother knew they are doing. They are a very unprofessional company.

The website is a scam. The questions were answered and the end result was simple - I could not gain access to a free annual credit report for all 3 bureaus.

I have been a customer for many years and they treated me like crap! Since around October of 2014 I have not been able to access my account with freecreditreport.com but officially contacted them through email back on April 11th, 2015. Since that time I have never been contacted and I have not been able to access my information on their site. Recently, I tried over and over again on automated site but failed every time and I called and called multiple times and worked with their phone techs and failed. Finally, today I was able to gain access because someone from their company said they cleared up some "duplicate" information that was causing me to not be able to access the site.

Even though the problem started last year I asked that at least I be credited from last April to now and this was rejected. The person on the phone said that since they have been monitoring my credit that I have to pay for it... I said "you maybe monitoring it but your system would not allow me to see it so I want it credited." And their response was no. So, I have cancelled my account with them because I do not wish to pay for a service that I cannot access!!! They very poor customer service.

This $1 credit report is a SCAM. In the front page they will say "You can check your credit report for $1", and people who wants to check their credit score for one time believes this is a one time charge, but somewhere in next page down in small fonts they say "After 7 days you will be charged $22." When I called immd after my card was charged, they said this fee was non-refundable. I told them "I already paid $1 to check my credit score and called immd even before my service for the month has started, so what's the deal in not refunding the money?" They said it's their policy.. Is it their policy to fool the customer & make money like this? I would have called it fair if I had called after a month, and they say no refund, but on the day the service started?? Absolute SCAM. Wish someone takes a note of all these complaints and do something legally to prevent people from falling into this trap.

Their website states for $1 you can get your credit report and FICO score. I entered my debit card info and received my credit report and credit score. However, when I saw my bank statement not only did they deduct $1 but also $39.95. SCAM!!!

Credit score is not accurate. My score was much lower than the one they stated on Experian. Cancelled ASAP. Will not do business with them again.

S-C-A-M!!! Google them & see that they HAVE been investigated by the FEDS & State of Florida attorney general for fraudulent practices! Wish I had thought to do that first :( They ARE part of EXPERIAN!! I SAY "BOO" TO EXPERIAN NOW TOO!! They LIE to you when you call! FURTHERMORE, they, like so (too) many other corporations now, offshore their call center to the Philippines, India...whatever. Yes, we are "GLOBAL" nowadays... but would you feed the neighbors' kids and not your own? WE HAVE TOO MANY AMERICANS OUT OF WORK!!!

When I opened an account with freecreditreport.com I was supposed to have credit monitoring, up to date credit score and a monthly credit report. I called their customer service team regarding my account today because I have not received a monthly statement since November. The customer service team member advised me that the company was experiencing updates and that is why I have not received a statement for 2 months. I have some problems believing that it takes this long to do a system update unless they just have the worst IT staff ever. However, the system updates definitely didn't cause any problem with the membership charge being withdrawn from my bank account each month. I was informed that they could not refund the months of December, January & February regardless of the fact that the credit report was not provided.

After I was informed that there was nothing that they could do I sent an email to their customer service team explaining the problem and the issues with their horrible customer service. After a few days I received an email stating that I would need to mail a written request for a refund to a completely different department and would need to send a copy of my credit card statement to prove that the membership fees were deducted from my bank account. So apparently they have so many complaints that they have to have a completely different department separate from their company to handle the issues.

Secondly, why would I need to provide my statement to prove that my fees had been deducted by them each month? Since I had an account with them to receive a monthly credit report, would the deductions not be part of their records since they charged my card each month. So am I to believe that they have no way to verify that they charged my account each month. It must be due to those company-wide updates that has disrupted their computer records, right? So since I refuse to provide my credit card statement to them I will never see a refund.

My husband and I signed up for FreeCreditReport for their free trial period to check our report, to see where we were at. That next day, we tried to cancel our membership. They had us on the phone for 30+ minutes and then sent us away due to a high volume of callers. This has continued on for days until this very day that they charged us the first fee of $14.99 and soon we will have the second charge of $14.99. I have sent their customer service e-mails to try to rectify this, but nothing. Poor customer service. Severe lack of care and support for their customers.

I signed up for the one dollar free credit report offer. They adequately charged me the one dollar and warned me appropriately that I would have to cancel my membership within seven days to avoid further membership charges. However, they failed to wait the full seven days before trying to charge my account. My suggestion to anyone using this service is to cancel as soon as you receive the information you need. This way you will not run into the same problem. Then, it took over 30 minutes on hold two different times in order to cancel membership and resolve the issue.

I signed up on Freecreditreport.com to access my credit report and thought I was only going to be charged for $1.00 charge that it stated for the trial membership when I went on there and looked at my report. I was given all 3 reports and I didn't think anything of it. Nowhere did it state that I would be charged $32.95 for looking at this report.

I pulled up my checking acct, as I used my bank card to pay what I thought was only going to be a $1.00 to see that they had indeed charged me the initial $1.00 and there was a second charge that I didn't approve or know was going to happen of $32.95. Had I known they were deceitful, I would have never signed up for their company. I immediately called customer service and asked what the charge was and was told I accessed the 3 reports. I told the guy I never approved it and never saw on the site that where the charge was stated. He basically told me I couldn't get my money back so I canceled. What a shifty company. Don't ever sign up for them.

Absolutely disappointed with the predatory practices of Experian Consumer Direct and their counterpart FreeCreditReport.com. Beware, nothing is free and they'll use your information without your knowledge. A ridiculously long wait time to speak with a human being in another country and then even longer to get to a supervisor. I'm aware they have scripts to read from but do they receive special training to make their apologies sound so hollow and disingenuous. Whilst I had no intention of keeping the product Jen#** and Amber #** did not do a good job of improving my perception of these companies and their practices. If you have the option, avoid these companies.

I tried and ended up with a request for credit card info. I called and was told to go to MyCreditReport.com. I did so and ended up with a request for credit card info. What part of FREE don't these folks understand. Now I am blocked from Transunion and Equifax due to trying and failing to get the information. These folks are really dishonest and scammers. Result, I can't get the reports that I am guaranteed by law.

I signed for a test membership in August 2014. I was charged a monthly fee for August and September 2014. In October 2014, I contacted freecreditreport.com at the address I was supposed to contact, to request cancellation of my membership and a refund for the month. I sent in three separate emails asking for a cancellation and never had a response. I didn't notice the charges continued until I saw on my bank statement that there were charges in October, November, and December for $17.95 each time. I called freecreditreport.com and they said that they could cancel me for December and refund that month, but that I needed to contact customer billing about the other months. I requested the refund and they refused, stating that the membership entails being charged a monthly fee unless you request cancellation, so they wouldn't refund from August-December 2014. I replied that I had emailed, and sent a copy of one of the emails in my message, showing that I had indeed requested a cancellation in October, and that by following their stated rules - I deserved the refund for the months I was charged after I had already requested cancellation and was ignored.

They wrote back that they were reviewed what I said, and still no. I asked for a supervisor's number, and that message was also ignored. I emailed twice asking for a supervisor. They responded within 15 minutes to the first two messages, but when I asked for a supervisor, I still have not received a reply. I am extremely angry about their customer service. Following their stated reason as to why I couldn't have a refund for the first two months, I did the correct actions by asking for the cancellation and the last three months of October, November and December never should have been charged.

My wife and I have both tried to call you to cancel our memberships at FreeCreditReport.com, but each time, we encounter customer service reps who claim that the system has shut down temporarily, that the system is slow and then we get put on terminal hold. We sit with no response for 15 minutes and then the line goes dead. They do not provide a means to cancel a subscription on their website. Since we each called at separate times and had "exactly the same" unhelpful experience, it's clear that the so called "customer service" reps at FreeCreditReport.com are being trained to block attempts to cancel memberships.

Had a horrible experience trying to cancel my subscription with this company. They did not even want to give me information about MY OWN ACCOUNT that I was paying for! I had to call twice to cancel, and they refused to refund my fees billed after the FIRST time I called to cancel. I strongly suggest using another service to check your credit. DO NOT SUBSCRIBE.

I've been trying to cancel. I signed up with Experian years ago and I recently opted out, but I guess it has recently been bought by FreeCreditReport.com and I can't find anywhere to make sure I'm not still being charged. It was on my last credit card statement but I can't access records without it asking for my credit card number again. What a ripoff for a company claiming to HELP with credit.

Although it's supposedly "free" they charge you $1, I figured no big deal. Now they had my credit card info. I neglected to cancel within the "free" trial period, so they charged my card $17.99. Seven days after the trial period I called their cancellation number (1-800-481-6826) and could not get a live person on the phone. Instead I was offered, in succession, a $25,000 nightly jackpot, a free electronic device jackpot, a LifeAlert type service, and a chance for a free trip to the Caribbean. I made four calls, was "redirected" and found myself talking to a travel agent who claimed to have no idea what I was talking about. I finally simply called my credit card company, who confirmed I had been billed $17.99 (non-refundable unless I wished to be transferred to the disputed claims department). I was told they would pay no more money to Free Credit Reports. The entire process (including typing this review) cost me nearly an hour out of my day. Now I just hope it doesn't also impact my credit rating.

As I now am seeing here many people have been caught by the same scam. Pay $1.00 to see your credit score. I never saw any dollar amount anywhere saying anything about being charged $32.95. I was shocked when I saw my credit card charged the $32.95 but they also charged the $1.00. The tonight I see another pending charge for $32.95. This is the biggest scam. I will call tomorrow and dispute this unauthorized charge. I will also get a new card so they can't continue to do this. One just wouldn't think Experian would do this; however, I guess that is why we are all getting ripped off because they are shady.

I went to Freecreditreport.com, and clicked on the tab to sign-up for a free membership trial. The terms were 30 days free, and then I would be charged monthly if I did not cancel within that time. My credit card was charged $39 the same day. I called to cancel the membership and ask why, and was told I had been charged for the 1 time report. I told them that was misleading and not what I agreed to. They offered no money back, and had no further reasoning or excuses.

I signed up with fcr.com, didn't cancel on time, had an unauth. charge of $19.99. This is not the amount on the site. Very mad. They took off charge.

Stay away from Freecreditreport.com. They charged my credit card unauthorized charges after cancelling membership.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Freecreditreport.com is another member of ConsumerInfo.com family, which is under the Experian Umbrella. The company has been in operation since 1995 and is a membership service that helps with a variety of credit-related needs.

• Free: Consumers can gain free access to an Experian credit report without providing a credit card.
  • Experian Credit Tracker: This membership includes unlimited access to the consumer’s Experian credit report, daily credit monitoring and alerts, bi-monthly score monitoring and alerts, a credit score simulator, $50,000 product guarantee, ChildSecure and CardSafe programs.
  • Trusted: Under the well-regarded Experian umbrella - one of the main credit bureaus - lenders often look to the Experian companies for trusted consumer credit related information.
  • Marketplace: Freecreditreport.com partners with other debt and credit organizations to offer consumers a place for debt and credit help and solutions.
  • Customer service: The company has excellent customer service and helps with credit report questions.
  • Freecreditreport.com blog: This educational resource provides consumers with the latest information on credit reports, scores, identity theft including videos and credit calculators.
  • Best for Consumers who seek a free Experian credit report along with useful credit and debt information.

Compare Credit Report Sites