2. Finance
  3. Credit Report Sites

3.8/5 (234 ratings)

About Freecreditreport.com

Freecreditreport.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freecreditreport.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freecreditreport.com?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2012

To cancel your subscription, they tell you to call their 1-800 number, but I would advise you to email their customer service team as well and put it into writing. "Per my discussion with ** on **..." Their business practices are deceptive.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2012

Do not use Freecreditreport.com - Read the small print and when trying to cancel they may never cancel your membership and keep charging your credit card. It happened to me. When logging onto Freecreditreport.com, the following wording is at the very top of the page: "Important Information - When you order your $1 Credit Report and Score here, you will begin your 7-day trial membership in Freecreditreport.com. If you don't cancel your membership within the 7-day trial period, you will be billed $19.99 for each month that you continue your membership. You may cancel your trial membership anytime within the trial period without charge." When ordering online, one should read the terms and conditions, etc., as often making a purchase will also activate an ongoing membership.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2012

I was charged $32 for a triple report and signed up for $20/month subscription all without realizing I had agreed to anything. All I wanted to do was download the free report they advertized for $1. Apparently, they hide all sorts of fine print. I called to complain and they wouldn't give me my money back. What a ripoff. There must be a class action coming soon.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2012

Free Credit Report is a scam. The ad for $1 credit report is deceptive. What I failed to read was a disclaimer totally separate from the $1 free credit report ad. The company's scheme is to make one believe that you can get a free credit report for $1, while intentionally attempting to hide the fact that it's a 7-day trial and on the 8th day, you get charged $21 and automatically become a member of Free Credit Report. What's interesting to me is how they hide the disclaimer. The disclaimer should normally be on the page that you sign up for the $1 credit report, in bold, so that a customer can have the choice of either becoming a member or cancelling the 7-day trial. Sadly, the disclaimer is way at the top of the initial sign up page with a gray background.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one that became excited with the $1 free credit report ad and focused on signing up without looking at the top of the initial page, which had nothing to do with signing up for the $1 credit report. Hopefully I'm not the only one! My hope is that someone would read these reviews before signing up for Free Credit Report so that you don't experience the same deception!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2012

The fee was almost double what was listed as I filled out the form. Then they/he argued that I did not want to cancel repeatedly; the free report is only for 7 days. I called 9 days. I was not requesting a refund, just to cancel. It should not have taken me to be belligerent to get a cancellation of their services.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2012

I went on Free Credit Report to get my credit report and my credit score. I was told it would cost $1.00 and the more extensive report was $31.95. I got the more extensive report, and then did it again for my husband. You had to enter your credit card information first. I just discovered this company has been charging my credit card once a month Jan-Feb. then twice a month, once for me and once for my husband for some type of membership. They refuse to give me my money back and when I told them I was reporting them, they did not care. After further research, I found this company has already been sued and lost for doing this same thing in the past. Why is this company in business? They charged me close to 300 dollars and will only refund this month.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2012

I signed up for the free viewing of the scores as well. I got charged for $31 on a day I didn't even use the site. All you have to do is call and say that you are right and they are wrong for enough times, and get past the first representative that will probably try and offer you only $17 back. Continue to refute the claim and their tone will change from not being able to help at all, to giving you a full refund. Good luck for this $31 scam!

Original review: July 19, 2012

I filled out information that they said no obligation free credit report and nowhere mention the amount they were going to deduct from my account. I am a 65-year-old handicapped senior. I never received anything in the mail or opened anything that I needed from them. I never signed or clicked on any agreement with them but somehow they hijacked the information and started taking money out of my account. I found out and they began to argue and said they will give me one month credit but I asked them to refund all my monies, $19.95 each month and to cancel immediately as I consider it fraud. The monies they took out of my debit card, they say, will be returned between 7-10 days but my banker has filed fraud report and has cancelled my debit card as there are a lot of complaints against them.

Now, they will not refund any as they will not have access to my account and they know this trick that people get new cards in cases like that and they do not refund, saying unable to give customer credit. It is a complete fraud and they must be investigated by the federal agencies or FBI. Millions of the elderly like me do not even check their accounts while $19.95 is deducted from their accounts for services they never promised to pay for. They have a system to hijack your information without your even clicking on it for your approval even for a free report. I never got anything from them, none whatsoever as I do not know who they are.

Original review: July 3, 2012

I followed instructions on the website (freecreditreport.com) for the free trial which states we can view all 3 scores. Well, they charged me $31.95, making my account overdraft and then gave me a hard time to cancel and refund. They didn't even refund my overdraft charge of $32 from my bank. Horrible tricks on the site which lead you to believe you are viewing your score and they have misleading icons.

Original review: May 31, 2012

Free Credit Report is a complete scam! I clicked the box for the $1 credit check and was charged $31.95 for all three credit agencies. The website and this company is deceptive and criminal in its trickery on the site. The customer service representative and even the supervisor I spoke to are completely juvenile and low class in their communication skills. Stay away from this website and get your free reports from Annual Credit Report and save yourself the headache of this scam.

Original review: May 17, 2012

I applied for federal assistance to get cheaper housing now that I am elderly and disabled. I was sent to FreeCreditReport.com to get my score. But after 2 full days on the phone with incompetent representatives, no one could tell me why they could not provide it for me, why I was told I had to use a different email address or a different card. My cards are good and using a different address didn't work either. They said I had used them in the past (which I knew), but why that would be an issue was never explained. Now several people have asked for my social security number. Who knows what that could mean? I am at a loss.

Original review: May 3, 2012

On April 30th and several days around that time, I was looking up for apartment/condo/townhome rentals info. I went to different websites and I tried to go to Section 8 Housing which also sent me to get a credit score. I was at freecreditreport.com which did state that it was a 7 day free trial and if I didn’t want to keep the membership, I was to cancel after those 7 days. However, my info was never accepted, it kept telling me to try a different card and that my ID and password info was invalid. I called them to see what the problem was. I believe that it was NIRI then that I talked to. Anyways, to no avail, I just didn’t continue with trying to get my credit score. I also tried using my sister Karen’s credit card and didn’t have luck there either. So, I didn’t get anything.

On 5/3/2012, I called the bank to check my account balance and it showed an authorized payment of $19.95. I called the bank and they said Experian had charged me. I called the number they gave me, 18772977790, freecreditreport.com and spoke to NIRI. I did not give him the card # again or my social security #, he looked up my info by my birthday and address. He said that I did indeed have a membership and that the $19.95 was nonrefundable. I told him I never got access to a credit score and I did not have a user ID or password so how did I get a membership. He did not give me a straight answer. I hung up with him and called a lawyer friend of mine. She said due to not hearing the conversation between me and NIRI, or whether or not it is fraud, she told me to write a letter to Experian/freecreditreport.com and contact you and the Better Business Bureau. I had my sister check her account and they did not take money from her. At this point, I am out $19.95. NIRI said he would cancel the membership the conf# is **.

Can you tell me what I can do at this point if anything? If you wish to talk to me directly call ** and ask for me and tell whomever answers the phone that you are consumer affairs returning my call. Like I said, I did not get any notice by email or snail mail of a membership or that I would be charged. And the only info on the website they had was my name, address, email, social security # and bank card #. I do not have a credit card nor do I want one. Thank you.

Original review: May 1, 2012

Freecreditreport.com charged my First National Bank of Omaha account. I notified First National when the Experian free credit report tried to authorize a $1.00; then it was $19.00 and then it was $14. And First National Bank advised they were using my routing number and account number since it appeared there was no evidence of using the debit card associated with this account. They advised at 800-642-0014 and spoke to Corbin. I then proceeded to call the number on the debit from my account (877-300-2507). They asked me for my debit card number. Wow! Give someone I did not authorize my debit card number? Really? They could not resolve my multiple debits on my account either. To this date, nothing is resolved by either party about something I never authorized.

Original review: April 20, 2012

Website signs you up for a $16.95 monthly membership, with no notice to the customer nor any confirmation requested from the customer. When you request a $1.00 "Experian Only" credit report and/or a $31.95 "All Three Agencies" credit report, the website then requires you to call a non-US call center to "cancel" the monthly membership you never requested in the first place. I waited 30 minutes on hold before a Filipino rep came on the line, who could not understand my issue. When I asked to speak to a freecreditreport.com representative in the US, I was accused of "racial discrimination" by the same Filipino call rep. When I asked to speak to her manager, I was told that I would have to wait another 30 minutes on hold.

Original review: April 12, 2012

I called to cancel on same day that I signed to see my credit score for $1. The girl asked me some questions using a very interesting voice, then asked if I would like to continue the service at a lower price. I said no, just cancel the membership. Using the same interesting voice, she spoke a couple of sentences at what seemed a pre-recorded, accelerated speed that I could not understand. It was obvious that it was accelerated speech. Illegible, I said to her "please repeat, I didn't catch that". She then repeated slowly. What she had said was something like "your membership will be cancelled immediately and you will only be billed only $16". To which I replied, "no, I will only pay the $1. I don't have any membership yet, I just signed up". Her voice changed and said she will send an email with the cancellation and I will be charged only $1.

The email is also deceptive. We're sorry to see you go! This email confirms that we have received your request to cancel your Freecreditreport.com membership. No further charges will be applied to your credit card. It does not mention what further charges, only $1 is to be charged. Listen very carefully, make sure you understand before you say yes to any questions or else, you may say yes to getting a bill for whatever amount you just said yes to, without understanding what was said.

Original review: April 6, 2012

I agreed to a $1 charge to my account and then immediately cancelled the service. Two days later, I was charged $1 + $31.95 for services I did not authorize or receive. I called to dispute and was offered first $15 credit, then $17, but could not get the full amount. Finally, I had to dispute through my bank which had to cancel my card. I just lost an hour of my life and will never use FreeCreditReport.com.

Original review: April 4, 2012

I ordered the "special" for $1.00 that would allow me to view my score and report as long as I cancelled membership within 7 days. I viewed and then promptly cancelled my membership (7 days to do so without being billed additional $16 and change per month). CC was billed once for the $1.00 but then again for $31.95. I called to get 2nd charge removed. They said best they could do was refund $17.00 because I had already viewed it. Believe it when I see it. I claimed I never saw any indication of an additional charge of $31.95. They said "prominently displayed above the order button". It was not! I asked for them to send me a screenshot of it and of course, they said they were unable to do so. Convenient! They are scammers and bait and switch artists.

Original review: March 19, 2012

I meant to sign up for a check for one time. FreeCreditReport.com has been charging me every month for the past 3 months. Thank God I noticed and called or they would've kept charging me $17.00/month without my knowledge.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2012

I signed up for the $1.00 free credit report. It wasn't a report but a broad score based on the data of Experian (that's who owns free credit report.com). I really only wanted my score anyway. However, 15 days later I'm billed $16.95 for the continuing membership. If you want to cancel you have to call. Further nowhere in the sign-up process did I see any "free trial" or "you'll be billed" after 15 days. Upon calling customer service, they were willing to refund "half" my money. It's not really the money that is at issue but the insult that they used deception to fleece new clients. Honesty is the best policy as I would likely have bought their $29.95 3 bureau credit report but now I'm ** and won't buy anything and will tell all my friends not to either. Stay away!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2012

I recently went on Freecreditreport.com to get a free credit report and paid $1.00 for a credit score as well. After clicking on the link for getting your free credit report and score for $1.00, the site directed me to the checkout. Unbeknownst to me, I was also signing up for a membership with them. Seven days later, my credit card was charged $16.95. When I saw the charge on my card, I called them and cancelled the membership and requested a credit back. I explained to them that I did not know that I was signing up for a membership. They reluctantly agreed to credit back half of the fee. I am really upset and don't believe this is appropriate. I have never used their membership and additionally was charged the $1.00 for the credit score. I feel their business practices are unscrupulous and deceiving.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2012

Charged Monthly Fee Without Authorization - After being charged the initial fee for not canceling the service within a couple days of signing up, I tried to cancel online. I tried to remove my billing info but I can’t. I was out of the country so didn't call until I returned. Since signing up for the account, I moved to a new location and did not provide them with updated billing information and yet, they still billed me for a second month without requesting my new info.

When asked about this they said they monitor my credit so they knew my new billing address. I requested a refund since I did not give them my new address they would not provide a refund and instead gave me their 3 agency report. I said I didn't want this or need it and wanted my money back, since they took it without authorization. They said I agreed to the terms when I signed up to their site. In no way did I agree to allow someone to update my CC billing address without my authorization.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2012

I signed up with Freecreditreports.com and cancelled that same evening. That was over 1 year ago.These thieves said that it was cancelled. Last week I went through my checking account and to my surprise I saw that they were drawing money out of my account. I called, and you get someone in the Philippines and I demanded to speak to a manager in the U.S.

Finally I got someone, and told her the story, and she confirmed that this account was closed, and then I asked her why they are taking money out of my account, and that is when she hung up the phone on me. This is one ** of scam where we are getting ripped off by this unscrupulous organization that nobody is doing anything about. The Federal and state agencies should get involved and get this company out of business, and have them pay very heavy fines, and the heads of this company should be in jail, because they are criminals. These people are no better than Maddoff.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2012

On Jan.2, 2012, I looked at my debit card and found that Free Credit Report had charged my card $19.95 but I never authorized them to charge my account. I had went on the site and started to join but when I realized that they were charging, I never clicked the submit button. They are claiming I did but when I tried to get on the site, I could not because I am not a member! They refused to refund my money and because I am not a member. I can't even see the credit report they claim I signed up for!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2011

I signed on to their site last night for my "free credit report". Granted, I should have read the fine print, but today, I got hit with a $29.95 fee. When I called them, I was told it was a non-refundable fee, but they could not explain what it was for. I asked to speak with a supervisor, and was told they could not transfer the call. I was then told that I had not ordered my credit report through them, so they couldn't help me. I have contacted my bank to stop the "preauthorization" payment, hopefully before it is funded. I am filing complaints with the NC Attorney General's office and the FTC.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2011

In looking to find out about a problem on my wife's credit report, I visited the Experian website and was redirected to Freecreditreport.com. At some point while on their website, I was signed up for monthly monitoring and they began charging me $19.50 a month. They would not refund all the money they charged me. They claimed that I was supposed to go back to their website to cancel the services. I was never notified that I was receiving services from them. And if I had not reviewed my credit card statement, I would have not known I was being charged for the services.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2011

I went online and enrolled for their service at a cost of $1.00. I was charged $29.95 on my credit card and another charge of $19.95 on my bank account. I never gave them my bank or checking account number. I called the number and got a girl who would not answer any of my questions. She kept telling me I was not a customer. I gave her my member number and she finally said I did have an account. I couldn't get her to tell me how they got my account info. I had a hard time to get her to cancel my membership, she kept trying to talk over me. I told her I wanted nothing to do with this outfit, cancel my account and refund the money taken from my account. She said they couldn't do that so I am out of $19.95. I told her that was stealing and I would report them to the state attorney general's office, that didn't faze her and she kept trying to talk to me. This outfit is a bunch of crooks and needs to be shut down. All people thinking about using this bunch should think twice. I will contact my bank and make sure this bunch never takes money from my account again.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2011

I was charged $24.95 for a free trial. When can I get a refund? I was informed that I had to be charged since I ordered the reports, which wasn't part of the free trial. The money was not refundable. This was made very clear on the website. This is a big scam!

Original review: April 25, 2011

I requested a credit report and have not been able to log on to view it. I called a rep to get to the bottom of the problem. He was able to find my file and said that he would email me my log-on name and password. The only email I got was to thank me for my membership. What good is it when you can not access it? The frustration and time taken to solve the problem made an impact on my performance at work.

Original review: April 8, 2011

I was charged $32.46 for a service that I didn't authorize. The website is set up to deceive consumers. If you will request a credit report for $1, you are then charged $32.46 for viewing your three scores without notice, plus another charge of $1.08. I have tried to get them to refund my money but they refused. I followed all the directions that were on the website to prevent them from charging me but they did anyway. I need help with this matter. Consumers should not be deceived and charged for services that they were not previously made aware of.

Original review: March 21, 2011

I used their site to get my credit report with score. I paid the $1.00 it asked for with the option to cancel within 6 days to avoid the charge of $29.95. I called to cancel on the 6th day, and they had already charged the $29.95 to my credit card. The representative whom I spoke with gave me some lame excuse that that is the fee to get the report that I thought I was getting for a dollar, and she said the error was made with the 2 tick boxes that you have to check at the end. Neither says an option to be charged $29.95. I had already paid the $1.00 earlier in the process. It is a scam and I got charged a total of $30.95. Beware!

Freecreditreport.com Company Information