1.07/5
Based on 96 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

258 Freecreditreport.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 17, 2014

Had a horrible experience trying to cancel my subscription with this company. They did not even want to give me information about MY OWN ACCOUNT that I was paying for! I had to call twice to cancel, and they refused to refund my fees billed after the FIRST time I called to cancel. I strongly suggest using another service to check your credit. DO NOT SUBSCRIBE.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

I've been trying to cancel. I signed up with Experian years ago and I recently opted out, but I guess it has recently been bought by FreeCreditReport.com and I can't find anywhere to make sure I'm not still being charged. It was on my last credit card statement but I can't access records without it asking for my credit card number again. What a ripoff for a company claiming to HELP with credit.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

Although it's supposedly "free" they charge you $1, I figured no big deal. Now they had my credit card info. I neglected to cancel within the "free" trial period, so they charged my card $17.99. Seven days after the trial period I called their cancellation number (1-800-481-6826) and could not get a live person on the phone. Instead I was offered, in succession, a $25,000 nightly jackpot, a free electronic device jackpot, a LifeAlert type service, and a chance for a free trip to the Caribbean. I made four calls, was "redirected" and found myself talking to a travel agent who claimed to have no idea what I was talking about. I finally simply called my credit card company, who confirmed I had been billed $17.99 (non-refundable unless I wished to be transferred to the disputed claims department). I was told they would pay no more money to Free Credit Reports. The entire process (including typing this review) cost me nearly an hour out of my day. Now I just hope it doesn't also impact my credit rating.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

As I now am seeing here many people have been caught by the same scam. Pay $1.00 to see your credit score. I never saw any dollar amount anywhere saying anything about being charged $32.95. I was shocked when I saw my credit card charged the $32.95 but they also charged the $1.00. The tonight I see another pending charge for $32.95. This is the biggest scam. I will call tomorrow and dispute this unauthorized charge. I will also get a new card so they can't continue to do this. One just wouldn't think Experian would do this; however, I guess that is why we are all getting ripped off because they are shady.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2014

I went to Freecreditreport.com, and clicked on the tab to sign-up for a free membership trial. The terms were 30 days free, and then I would be charged monthly if I did not cancel within that time. My credit card was charged $39 the same day. I called to cancel the membership and ask why, and was told I had been charged for the 1 time report. I told them that was misleading and not what I agreed to. They offered no money back, and had no further reasoning or excuses.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freecreditreport.com?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2014

I signed up with fcr.com, didn't cancel on time, had an unauth. charge of $19.99. This is not the amount on the site. Very mad. They took off charge.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2014

Stay away from Freecreditreport.com. They charged my credit card unauthorized charges after cancelling membership.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2014

I noticed a charge on my card for $14.99 from Experian. Did some digging, and found it was a subscription to Freecreditreport.com. I had not signed up for an account. So, I called them. My card had been used on another account. I said, "Well, you can clearly see the account is not in my name, and I did not authorize it." They said I was past the 7-day window to cancel. I was livid. I said, "This is not my account, but you used my card." I had to shut down the card to have it investigated. I tried via email to fix it. They kept telling me the benefits of my account... Which was not my account.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2014

I called freecreditreport.com to cancel my account. This was before the trial period ended. I was continually charged. Not the $11.99 but $19.99. When I call customer service, they apologize and say it will be cleared up. Still charged but now I cannot access my account. Called again, I explained I couldn't access my account for three months. I was informed I last accessed my account in May. Yea... that was three months ago. Once again, I was told I would receive confirmation in the email provided confirming cancellation. I was also told I never called to cancel which I surely did! I hate this company, they need to be stopped!!

Original review: July 15, 2014

Free credit report is waiting for a class action suit from the people it is scamming! Report your complaints and experience to the BBB. Take the time and you may get a refund, but better yet, let them deny and dig their own graves. Get it documented, the day will come when we can bring down this company.

Original review: July 3, 2014

Experian is misleading. Under the guise of 'Free Credit Report' they have you sign up for a 'membership' of $21.34 per month. Do not use www.FreeCreditReport.com or Experian Credit Services.

Original review: April 30, 2014

So I went online and put in my card number for the $1 charge. I check my bank stuff online and see a charge for $32.95 and the $1. I did NOT approve the charge for $32.95. They said I clicked to upgrade to see all reviews which I didn't. They did say they would refund me the $32.95. If not, I will get my bank involved. These people are shady, shady, shady.

Original review: March 6, 2014

This company is a scam. Beware. They were billing me $19.99 every quarter without any authorization. Another example on the degradation of business practices in the US. When a capitalist society turns to deceit for financial gain, everybody loses. I am ashamed to have fought for this country.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2014

If you read the fine print... you would never agree to do business with such a slimy company. If you do, and you want a refund... expect to fight them all day long! I had to help a friend get a refund. Her bank (Chase) intervened during a 3-way conversation. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT... DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY AND OTHERS LIKE IT!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2014

I received an offer to obtain 3 credit reports for $1 and was charged $19.95 plus $39.95 within a week. I requested a refund, and their reply was "read the fine print..." I've been scammed by false advertisements. And of course they NEVER answered numerous phone calls.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2013

Back in August 2013, I requested (online) for all three credit reports to be sent. I was denied by Experian and TransUnion due to answering one of their questions inaccurately. I then requested by mail and it appeared everything went through okay. I waited the 15-day period but I received nothing in the mail. I went online again but they were asking for a credit card payment. I've tried by phone and still nothing. Today, I finally called the TransUnion telephone number on the letter I received and explained what happened. They told me I would receive the report in 5 business days. Experian, however, is a different experience. You cannot reach anyone by phone. They continue to tell you the reports are being sent, yet, nothing arrives. This has caused me great anxiety as I am trying to file for bankruptcy and it has held up the process for 2 months and counting. I need these reports in order to file. What are my options?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2013

I can't believe this organization ostensibly monitors the credit integrity of individuals with unilateral authority, and then operates as a criminal scam. This place stole $19.99 per month out of my account for 21 months before I figured out what was going on. I NEVER AUTHORIZED IT. These people should be prosecuted. Their name should be "WeStealTwentyDollarsPerMonthForYourCredit.com". AVOID THIS SCAM AT ALL COSTS..

Original review: June 21, 2013

FreeCreditReport.com to the tune of millions of fraudulently obtained profits. The BBB has over 11,000 complaints and that was in 2010. I am sure they racked up a bunch more since then! I went on their website to get my annual "free credit report" not knowing that they would rob me of $19.99 per month for a membership I did not agree to nor even knew I was a member of... I never logged on to use their services! Stay away from this company!

Original review: June 18, 2013

My bank returned charges to my account from Freecreditreport.com as "unauthorized." This is one shady company. Please check and make sure they don't have your credit card info in their system, even if you no longer have an account. They keep it forever and there is no way to delete it, only change to another card. I complained and was advised that is their company policy. I would rate them 0 stars if I could.

Original review: June 13, 2013

Charged for services I didn't receive. Terrible customer service. Absolute scam.

Original review: June 8, 2013

The site said, "Get your instant credit report and score for $1". The site then takes you to give your information for payment. Afterwards, it will offer you 3 reports for $32.95. Even though I declined it, the system takes you into the pay area, and I was automatically charged. Calling them does no good as they say according to their system, you have received the paid for information. They offered to reimburse me part of the $32.95 within 10 days. My experience with this company does not make me recommend it to anyone, and I will strongly encourage others to find an alternative.

Original review: June 7, 2013

I went to Freecreditreport.com to get my report. It asked if I wanted to pay $1.00 for my score, so I paid the one dollar. Then all of a sudden, one week later, I get a charge for $19.99 for a membership!! I called them and they told me that I did not call to cancel the membership within 7 days. I told them I did not sign up for a membership!! I was told when I agreed to pay the $1.00 fee that signed me up. PURE FRAUD!!!!

Original review: June 1, 2013

I, too, was charged $32.95 for what I understood to be a $1 report (I was also charged the $1.00). This company is SO BAD that this charge was immediately referred to the Fraud Dept. of my bank which notified me about it. Obviously, I am one out of thousands who have been unknowingly charged by this company. Had I paid with a credit card, the bank could have put a stop payment on the charge but not so with a debit card. So I called them and screamed and yelled which resulted in a refund of 1/2 the charge. From now on, I will be checking with consumer complaints about any seller I plan to do business with. I have already posted a warning about this horrible company on FB. Hopefully my 2000 friends will all share my post.

Original review: May 30, 2013

I went in to pull my credit report from all three bureaus. I wanted to just pay whatever the one-time cost is and be done with it. I would NEVER sign up for a monthly membership. I learned my lesson with this company back in '08 and vowed that I would never get scammed again like this. Guess what? Three years went by and it happened again. There is something fishy with the way they set up their website. You start off thinking you are clicking your way through one thing and they end up slipping you something else.

Their staff does nothing but rebut objections all day long. They are ready to come back with a response no matter what you say. I am in sales too; I know how it works. But this place is ** crooked! Lori (employee # **) can go screw herself. She should have gotten herself a better education so she didn't have to compromise her own morals all day long. I hope all the irate customers she has to deal with every second of her day wears at her soul and makes her family life unhappy. She deserves it. These people are scumbags. Experian, quit hiding behind this .com scam you are running. It won't be long; your days in business are numbered.

Original review: May 24, 2013

I too thought I was getting a one-off report. But I guess somewhere hidden on the site is an automatic sign up unless cancelled in 7 days. A complete scam. This kind of practice needs to be made illegal.

Original review: May 21, 2013

I'm getting to refi home so I checked with them for free report. I entered info for my self and spouse. I canceled the next day. They charged $32.95 for self and another charge for wife. I canceled the day after I subscribed to service. Company refused to adjust charge claiming they clearly stated the charge on application. I do not recall seeing this statement and if I had, surely I would not have paid the price as a credit check with the refi process is much less. Supervisory help not helpful and refused to adjust charge. Also, they claimed I needed to make two attempts to cancel subscription, once for self and once for wife. What a con.

Original review: May 21, 2013

They ripped me off; I don't know how else to say it. It was complete trickery. My experience started off fine. I was looking at my credit report, but to see my score, they said that would be $1 so I reluctantly gave them my card information, and next thing I know and without any warning, they charged my account $32 for my report and then signed me up for a monthly subscription, that I never asked for. I only gave permission for $1; never did I agree or click "Ok" for any additional charges. Only when I looked on my online banking did I even realize they charged me. When I brought this to their attention, they said, "Sorry, that was the deal." This is horrible feel, cheating. My free report and score was $55. Just be warned.

Original review: May 5, 2013

I called to cancel my membership and after 15 minutes of this guy trying to sell me all three credit reports and him not listening to me trying to cancel, I asked to speak to his supervisor. He went on to tell me they were in a meeting, so I went on to ask him his name, employee number or something to identify him as employee, which after another 15 minutes he tells me in his Indian accent that his name is Chad. Now I'm asking if what he is telling me is that there is no customer service in that company whatsoever and that he is my only line of communication. He hung up in my face. I've never more been more disrespected by a large company in my life. Worse off, we give our credit info to these ** but they have no complaint dept. You have got to be kidding me.

Original review: April 17, 2013

I signed up for a 7-day free trial, which was supposed to cost $1 with no further charges if I cancelled within 7 days. A charge of $32.95 showed up on my credit report even though I cancelled my membership after two days. They said I clicked on the upgrade and got a report from all three bureaus which I did not. They offered to refund half. The name Freecreditreports is a scam! The name is not true and should be changed! Don't do it.

Original review: April 15, 2013

Like so many others (I wish I had come to this site before using this companies), I was charged the additional $32.95 on top of the $1.00. It seems like, based on this website alone, there should be some investigating done on behalf of the consumer. When I called to have them verify where on their website that you would be charged a fee, I signed in, and he took me to a place where it said $39.95. Nowhere did it say $32.95. He said it was more to sign up again since I had canceled my membership the same day. I did the report to avoid a monthly fee.

Freecreditreport.com Company Information