1.8/5 (579 ratings)

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Direct Express

Direct Express is a prepaid card that gives you access to your federal benefits regardless of whether you have a bank account. If you receive federal benefits and want a secure way to store and use your funds, Direct Express’ easy-to-use debit card gives you simple access and is accepted at many locations.

Pros

• All funds are FDIC-insured
  • No bank account necessary
  • Works where Mastercard is accepted

Cons

• No lines of credit or loans available

Bottom Line

Direct Express gives federal benefits recipients an easy way to access funds without needing a bank account. The majority of federal funds are eligible for use with Direct Express, and its application process is simple and free.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Direct Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: May 11, 2021

I have money missing off my card every month from Direct Express. You have to wait forever to even get someone to answer the phone then you got to give your information, tell them the problem just so they can redirect you and then you got to give your information all over again. And this goes on on and on till they hang up on you. Well this month I got over 800.00 missing. And every time I tell them that I get hung up on. I think they're stealing money from people accounts. And THAT'S THE TRUTH.

Original review: May 5, 2021

This is ridiculous. I have had a cash purchase pending now for 6 days and the company I authorized the money to keeps getting declined for the payment that clearly shows in my account. I have medical necessities in these purchases that I need and are currently held up, I have tried contacting customer service many times a day to find out what is going on with this yet I keep getting a recording due to heavy call volume. Call back at a later time. You'd think that this being a government payment service that it would be priority to get people their payments since we rely on our benefits to pay our bills.

Original review: May 3, 2021

My account was hacked and $1003 was fraudulently withdrew. I filed a Dispute, sent all the proper paperwork (police report, their questionnaire, etc.) within the 10 days they required, but DirectExpress DENIED it. They said the Dallas address was mine and I couldn't prove otherwise. I've been with DirectExpress since 09, at this address I live now for over 6 years. New cards kept coming (3 in all) and then being canceled, hell 2 arrived already canceled. All the time DirectExpress was charging my account into the negative numbers.

Now you would think after sending me at least 3 cards at my proper address they would get the hint where I live, but DirectExpress kept saying the address they have on file is the Dallas one. I finally found an Agent that was smart enough to lock down my account, so now I had to prove with SSI Office who I am in order to unlock my account. Thank goodness I got with an Agent at the SSI office that was smart enough to get this nightmare figured out.

I now am waiting on my new card (different address) and hopefully it's going to work out. I am most definitely getting the hell out of dodge when I finally get my SSDI money. I don't recommend DirectExpress for the way they handled my situation. A real human is almost impossible to reach and when you do, they won't know what the other end is doing. This is my story...

Original review: May 1, 2021

This is the worst debit card that I have ever had. It is extremely difficult to resolve disputes and hard to reach a customer service representative. As soon as my account has a zero balance I am closing this account.

Original review: April 8, 2021

They keep declining transactions. This company was sup to give me a small level of independence, and normalcy that being chronically ill, I haven't ever had. Instead my anxiety level has reached epic proportions. How am I sup to take care of myself when you won't let me use my own money? I can't go out very often because I have a weak immune system, so I order online. I have spent 2 and a half hours on the phone, spoken to 4 different people, and every single person I speak to, gives me a different excuse.

I've spent an entire week trying to pay a Patreon (that was fine in Feb), a vinyl company, ShopGoodWill, and Fat Quarter Shop. I've used this card to pay Patreon, Fat Quarter, and Shopgoodwill, in the past with no issues. The companies themselves have no issues. I can pay Amazon just fine. This company once left me stranded at an airport because I couldn't take money out of an ATM to pay for a taxi, and I couldn't use the taxi's pay either. Thought that was just a fluke. Nope, so far I've been told, "We're having issues with online thieves" by Tamisha on April 3rd, then I got told they saw the declines today by Chris, who transferred me to Destiny.

Destiny couldn't find ANY requests and declines but told me to stop trying for a few days because that's probably why it's declining. Then to call back in a couple of days if there is still an issue. Nope, you've already made me feel like people with disabilities shouldn't use your service. Now I'm emptying the account every month and paying for everything through a relative's bank account. Thanks so much for making my life more stressful and harder. Congrats. You must be so proud of yourselves.

Original review: April 1, 2021

This company is Horrible!! There is ZERO customer service.... I had a charge on my card that I had to dispute, I finally got someone and they wouldn't do anything until the charge wasn't "pending", by that time there were 2 more charges. I told them to cancel the card and send a new one... It took 2 weeks to get the card and they NEVER refunded the stolen money. They said the dispute was denied and gave no evidence. They suck!!!

Original review: March 28, 2021

They place restrictions on online purchases even when you have more than enough funds in your account. Worst excuse for a debit card I have ever seen. Eight declined transactions in the last 3 days. Do yourself a favor and avoid this poor excuse for a debit card.

Original review: March 9, 2021

This is the worst company ever. Zero is my rating. I can't understand how the government continues to contract with these people. The complaints and even lawsuits seem to be too many to count. Wish I would have seen all that before getting this card. I was hacked by someone in the UK just as many others were based off the complaints. No kind of security measures were enacted to prevent the numerous back to back international purchases. Customer service doesn't exist with them when it comes to resolving real issues.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I have tried for two days to order an Apple iPad Pro. Direct Express will not allow the transaction because of the amount and possible "fraudulent" use. This is RIDICULOUS as I have made large purchases buying airline tickets for family each year, extended lodging, etc. I do not want Direct Express to decide for me when I can purchase anything. My money is held captive by Direct Express. SIX CALLS THRU THEIR AUTOMATED BOT SYSTEM AND NEVER GOT THROUGH, CALL DROPPED AFTER EXTENDED WAIT TIME. This is not a service you can rely on. I am opening a bank account in town today and will transfer all funds, and I will close Direct Express. IT'S A SCAM.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I requested a replacement card on 1/21/2021 and was told 5 to 10 CALENDAR days. After 14 days requested another because never received the first one. Was told another would be expedited on 2/3/2021 and was told that it would definitely be here through UPS in two days! 2/5/2021. Called them on 2/5 and was then told it was sent but NOT expedited! Now it is 2/11/2021 and no card has arrived. It is almost impossible to get through to anyone on their phone system. And I have made over 50 calls but only get through 24 or 5 times. And they will not do anything to help. Absolutely refused to transfer any of my money so I can pay my bills! I am changing my bank as soon as I can get access to my money. This is ridiculous! Many times while waiting over 20 or 30 minutes on hold the call would be disconnected. DIRECT EXPRESS is not to be trusted.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I don't understand how this company is able to keep doing these things to people and still allowed to operate!! I mean just read the reviews!! I mean all of these fraud complaints that apparently go on without anyone stopping them??? I mean how? Why? All of that stimulus money being handled by these incompetent foreign people that can't even speak English!! Sure take my money and then when I call to try to dispute this I can't even talk to anybody?? Sign me right up!! Sounds great!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I can only hope that things will get better over there. But after repeated attempts to get in touch with a CSR there, I was disconnected numerous times. I simply needed a replacement card and when I finally got someone on the phone after going through the helpless prompts, they said they didn’t get the email that was sent to them even after 8 hours. I guess I should feel so lucky that it was not months like some folk on there. Something told me to look them up and it brought me here. After reading the horrendous and disheartening stories, I decided to write the Inspector General of SS and tell my and your stories. I would encourage all who have been victimized to take similar action. This is unacceptable for an agency with a government contract to behave this way and must be stopped.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Constant phantom charges, whimsical transaction declines, customer service unavailable for days at a time while you have no access to your money. If you report a false charge they will not register your complaint unless you agree to disable your account for the two weeks they say it takes them to issue you a new card -- "oh, but for a $15 fee you can have it overnight." In the middle of the pandemic. Smells mighty like a scam, or gross mismanagement at best. I am disabled and depend on this card for my Social Security. The US government needs to investigate.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I am so disappointed with you, Consumer Affairs and so frustrated with Direct Express! I submitted a review on 12/28/20. To date I have not heard a peep out of either one of you! You have TOTALLY destroyed my faith in believing that what you proclaim to represent is just a complete farce! I am a disabled senior citizen. I have received ZERO $ for 5 months now due to Direct Express's ineptness. And you have shown me that you have no ethics nor compassion! I intend to contact the media if I have not heard from you by Monday, 1/18. This is ample time for you to respond. I have pen in hand, so to speak, in regards to contacting the media! I am so VERY disappointed in your complete lack of professionalism and empathy!!!

Vaive

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

In the past year my card has been locked not once but 4 times 3 of those times cause I'm terrible with online passwords and during this pandemic it's been hell. I've became homeless cause of it cause I couldn't pay bills like I normally would have. Thankfully I have a place now and different company but they make you jump through all kinds of hoops. They make you send in ID CARD, social security card and birth certificate. They make you include your address, your mother's maiden name and it's whole lot of red tape.

I do suggest going through another company. I now go through Serve. I also get paid early and oh I did have similar issue with serve with locking card due to fact I am terrible at remembering passwords on the online site. Well it 5 minutes to unlock and Direct Express claims it's cause of government that requires them to do what they do. Then why don't other companies do it? Reason I'm writing this is cause I received my stimulus on the direct express. I accidently added a pound symbol after my card number like other companies ask you to and my card got locked again. Well that's the last straw.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

My husband's card expire last Sept.30, 2020. We called Direct Express Sept 23, 2020 to order new one and they my husband they already send the card last August 6, 2020. But until now we didn't receive the card. We are here in the Philippines now.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Anyone stating that this card is convenient or great to them is over 65 years old for sure. This is the most horrible service I have ever received in my life. A typical card has a hold on a pre-authorization three to four maybe five business days... Direct Express 10-day hold for money that is not going anywhere. It's going to stay in your account but they want to hold it for 10 days just because they can. They hardly ever answer your calls when they do some times more often than none they hang up or put you back in queue. They never have a proper response for anything, everything. Seems like they just started working there yesterday and they just don't know. Hear me when I tell you open yourself a bank account and save your sanity because these people will drive you insane.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

If I could rate a zero I would! Who ever decided in the US Government that Direct Express would be the company to choose in handling our Social Security payments should be fired. There must be a kick back somewhere along the line. Normally each month, our funds are loaded onto our card. We would go to the grocery store, withdraw the funds from our card and do our monthly shopping, and run around town to pay our bills. But it has never been a card to use for paying bills online, etc, because of its restrictions. They tell you that some stores or creditors will accept payment from it, but we have yet to find one that would. So we managed to make it work, until the card no longer worked.

Let me explain. Our issues with this card stated when the magnetic strip and chip stopped working on our card when we went to withdraw money off the card. Funds where there, but card would not work. So we called customer service. Waited nearly 2 hours on the phone for them to tell us nothing was wrong with our account. Well, we knew that already. It was the card that was the problem. But the operator we spoke to, was not authorized to order us a new card. Which by the way you have to pay a fee for if you need to replace your card more than once a year. Card failure or not! So she transferred us to another department.

After waiting an additional 30 minutes, a recording came on and said due to high volume, there would be a long wait. But we didn't get a chance to wait, even though by then we were reaching a 3 hour wait time. They just disconnected the call. So again, we were unable to resolve the issue to access our funds. So we tried to resolve the problem online. It has been nothing but a nightmare trying to transfer funds within a timely manner even after being charged $1.50 per transfer. The average 1-3 days to transfer as they state, excluding weekends has not happened. With no notification, transfer did not go though. So we requested a transfer. We are still waiting once again for the transfer to go though. Attempted 4 times to reach a live operator to confirm the transfer would go though this time but again, there is yet another wait on the phone, and then after a period of time, your call is disconnected. We have still not been able to access our monthly funds.

The card, also is problematic to use in paying bills online or purchasing anything. Try ordering something on Amazon with it. No can do! We needed to pay car payment and other bills with the funds on the card. Since we couldn't get money off the card because of the chip malfunction, we tried to pay our bills on line. Again, that wasn't happening. Why the card is not set up like a normal debit card is beyond me. If the funds are there, you shouldn't have to jump though hoops to access your own money. Still waiting for our transfer, we finally have decided it is easier just to have our social security check directly deposited into the bank than to deal with this card. Do not use this card to receive your money if you can have a bank account. Seriously. It is not worth the hassle. Their customer service really sucks, if you are lucky enough to get someone to actually take your call.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I kept noticing money being WITHDRAW from my Direct Express card so I call direct express to do a dispute because they said it was a company online they said I paid to verify a number??? I have zero clue on what they were talking about so I did a dispute and they put the 70 bucks back on my card and tonight on Christmas evening they take that 70 dollars saying after investigating they said there wasn't enough information for them so they took 70 bucks and I said, "I filled out everything what more information do you need?" They said it don't matter because it's been closed. So basically calling me a liar and on Christmas day no less.

I'm on disability like I can afford 70 bucks on Christmas day to be taken out of my account for something I never did in the first place! I'm switching to Green Dot because I heard they were a better company anyways! So get DIRECT express if you want to get screwed over!!!! This is ridiculous! That 70 bucks was going to pay part of my heating bill! So thank you so much direct express for doing this to me on Christmas day. You're heartless!!! I would give you zero stars if it was an option!!!! Lynette **

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I have had my Social Security payment go on this card for years. My only complaint was getting ahold of customer service was a nightmare. Until two months ago someone took my card and made three withdrawals. I called it in after I saw the withdrawals that weren’t mine. They gave a provisional credit. Then this month they took it back. After a hour waiting to speak to someone, they said they would send a email with the reason. That was two weeks ago and still nothing! I didn’t do the transactions so what could be the reason? So now I have no monies for the month and it’s Christmas. What is wrong with this company? I would like to start a petition of all of the people that have had problems with Direct Express and see if Social Security would get a new debit card service!!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Filed a fraud report on 11-7, they sent me paperwork that stated you have 10 days from the date you called in the fraud, 7 days had passed before I received the paperwork, left me 3 days to get it back to them, it was a day late, because of that No credit to my acct for blatant fraud, 6 hrs on hold just to be disconnected, next try a supervisor assured me they had my paperwork, and within 72 hrs I'd have my credit, 7 days later no credit, 3 more hrs on hold, to be told since they didn't get the paperwork it will be up to 90 days, cannot believe our GOV uses a third world company that can play with our livelihood, they are the worst company I have ever dealt with, Never on your worst day use Direct Express.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I'm a veteran living in the Philippines, Direct Express told me that the international option would remain on my card for a year; yet, every few months or so, I must spend $20-40 USD to call their call center and get the international option activated on my account. According to one of their call center agents, the company has known of the server issue for years and refuses to fix it, leaving thousands of Americans stranded in foreign countries with no access to their money. I believe this contract between Comerica Bank and the US Government needs to be under investigation and I'm confident that we'll discover lobbyist have ensured the contract goes to a company that doesn't have the technology and technological know-how to provide the government contract requirements. Definition of Fraud: wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I see all the negative reviews but my experience was actually good. My card showed a charge I didn’t do of .60. They immediately locked my card while they said transactions continued to try to go through from GERMANY! I’m glad they noticed it immediately and locked my card. I called, verified my card, and they canceled it and sent out a new one out for free and gave me free express shipping. Had they not noticed my card was compromised I would’ve had to wait a lot longer and possibly lost money. I did however have to wait 3 hours on hold to talk to them which is why I took a star off.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I spent four plus hours on hold after reaching one person then being redirected to the "fraud" department where I was left so long it just dropped my call. For whatever reason, this company fails in almost every area of customer service and professionalism. I actually believe they chose their MOH (music on hold) to annoy people and drive them away if left too long. I just cannot say how low a rating I would give since a single star is the lowest option, but if a negative number could have been used, I WOULD HAVE USED IT.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I’ve contacted various federal agencies & reported these scam artists that prey on the disabled, elderly & deceased. They won’t release my deceased wife’s funds to me. I would have to hire an attorney & it just isn’t worth. It’s quite a scam you all have going on, keeping a deceased person SS- disability. I’m a minister & these people definitely aren’t Godly people. Do not use Direct Express. They will keep your spouses' money when they pass away.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I am a disabled adult who gets her social security disability through this card monthly. They put out a fake "fraud alert" on my card which gave the ATM the authority to seize it when I went to make a withdrawal. I immediately called customer service and could not get ahold of anyone. 2 days later, I was able to speak with someone who said I would have to pay for a new card! The card us supposed to arrive in 7 -10 days and I am going on 14 days with no card and good luck trying to get ahold of someone. They could care less if you have bills to pay or children. I have no money or food! I would like to start a class action lawsuit and will be reading up on it.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I held on the line 30 minutes after the terrible loop of prompts. An agent answered the call totally disrespectful. The agent was abrasive, rude and nasty. Did not use active listening and disconnected.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Exasperating. All I get is no satisfaction with these people. They are incompetent, sassy, aggravating to the limit. Just wasting my time on the phone trying to reason with them. Their email address is always full so you can't make any contact with them. Sorry lot of people.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I don’t recommend this card. I recently couldn’t access my card. When I tried to call customer service who says they are 24/7 I was on hold for over 8 hours. Good thing I have speaker phone. They reduced my card because I was switching my accounts over to my bank account. They must not of liked that. They were trying to steal my money.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I hate it. I can never talk to a person and you be on hold forever. I was on hold for over 5 hours so I just hung up. Pissed. I was trying to pay my rent and buy Christmas gifts and it I had fraud issues. Why not contact me and ask question and I will give you the info you need. Now I am late with my rent. Are they going to help pay the late fees? Hell no.

Direct Express Company Information