Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Direct Express

Direct Express is a prepaid card that gives you access to your federal benefits regardless of whether you have a bank account. If you receive federal benefits and want a secure way to store and use your funds, Direct Express’ easy-to-use debit card gives you simple access and is accepted at many locations.

Pros

• All funds are FDIC-insured
  • No bank account necessary
  • Works where Mastercard is accepted

Cons

• No lines of credit or loans available

Bottom Line

Direct Express gives federal benefits recipients an easy way to access funds without needing a bank account. The majority of federal funds are eligible for use with Direct Express, and its application process is simple and free.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Direct Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: May 1, 2021

This is the worst debit card that I have ever had. It is extremely difficult to resolve disputes and hard to reach a customer service representative. As soon as my account has a zero balance I am closing this account.

Original review: April 8, 2021

They keep declining transactions. This company was sup to give me a small level of independence, and normalcy that being chronically ill, I haven't ever had. Instead my anxiety level has reached epic proportions. How am I sup to take care of myself when you won't let me use my own money? I can't go out very often because I have a weak immune system, so I order online. I have spent 2 and a half hours on the phone, spoken to 4 different people, and every single person I speak to, gives me a different excuse.

I've spent an entire week trying to pay a Patreon (that was fine in Feb), a vinyl company, ShopGoodWill, and Fat Quarter Shop. I've used this card to pay Patreon, Fat Quarter, and Shopgoodwill, in the past with no issues. The companies themselves have no issues. I can pay Amazon just fine. This company once left me stranded at an airport because I couldn't take money out of an ATM to pay for a taxi, and I couldn't use the taxi's pay either. Thought that was just a fluke. Nope, so far I've been told, "We're having issues with online thieves" by Tamisha on April 3rd, then I got told they saw the declines today by Chris, who transferred me to Destiny.

Destiny couldn't find ANY requests and declines but told me to stop trying for a few days because that's probably why it's declining. Then to call back in a couple of days if there is still an issue. Nope, you've already made me feel like people with disabilities shouldn't use your service. Now I'm emptying the account every month and paying for everything through a relative's bank account. Thanks so much for making my life more stressful and harder. Congrats. You must be so proud of yourselves.

Original review: April 1, 2021

This company is Horrible!! There is ZERO customer service.... I had a charge on my card that I had to dispute, I finally got someone and they wouldn't do anything until the charge wasn't "pending", by that time there were 2 more charges. I told them to cancel the card and send a new one... It took 2 weeks to get the card and they NEVER refunded the stolen money. They said the dispute was denied and gave no evidence. They suck!!!

Original review: March 28, 2021

They place restrictions on online purchases even when you have more than enough funds in your account. Worst excuse for a debit card I have ever seen. Eight declined transactions in the last 3 days. Do yourself a favor and avoid this poor excuse for a debit card.

Original review: March 9, 2021

This is the worst company ever. Zero is my rating. I can't understand how the government continues to contract with these people. The complaints and even lawsuits seem to be too many to count. Wish I would have seen all that before getting this card. I was hacked by someone in the UK just as many others were based off the complaints. No kind of security measures were enacted to prevent the numerous back to back international purchases. Customer service doesn't exist with them when it comes to resolving real issues.

Original review: March 2, 2021

I have tried for two days to order an Apple iPad Pro. Direct Express will not allow the transaction because of the amount and possible "fraudulent" use. This is RIDICULOUS as I have made large purchases buying airline tickets for family each year, extended lodging, etc. I do not want Direct Express to decide for me when I can purchase anything. My money is held captive by Direct Express. SIX CALLS THRU THEIR AUTOMATED BOT SYSTEM AND NEVER GOT THROUGH, CALL DROPPED AFTER EXTENDED WAIT TIME. This is not a service you can rely on. I am opening a bank account in town today and will transfer all funds, and I will close Direct Express. IT'S A SCAM.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I requested a replacement card on 1/21/2021 and was told 5 to 10 CALENDAR days. After 14 days requested another because never received the first one. Was told another would be expedited on 2/3/2021 and was told that it would definitely be here through UPS in two days! 2/5/2021. Called them on 2/5 and was then told it was sent but NOT expedited! Now it is 2/11/2021 and no card has arrived. It is almost impossible to get through to anyone on their phone system. And I have made over 50 calls but only get through 24 or 5 times. And they will not do anything to help. Absolutely refused to transfer any of my money so I can pay my bills! I am changing my bank as soon as I can get access to my money. This is ridiculous! Many times while waiting over 20 or 30 minutes on hold the call would be disconnected. DIRECT EXPRESS is not to be trusted.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I don't understand how this company is able to keep doing these things to people and still allowed to operate!! I mean just read the reviews!! I mean all of these fraud complaints that apparently go on without anyone stopping them??? I mean how? Why? All of that stimulus money being handled by these incompetent foreign people that can't even speak English!! Sure take my money and then when I call to try to dispute this I can't even talk to anybody?? Sign me right up!! Sounds great!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I can only hope that things will get better over there. But after repeated attempts to get in touch with a CSR there, I was disconnected numerous times. I simply needed a replacement card and when I finally got someone on the phone after going through the helpless prompts, they said they didn’t get the email that was sent to them even after 8 hours. I guess I should feel so lucky that it was not months like some folk on there. Something told me to look them up and it brought me here. After reading the horrendous and disheartening stories, I decided to write the Inspector General of SS and tell my and your stories. I would encourage all who have been victimized to take similar action. This is unacceptable for an agency with a government contract to behave this way and must be stopped.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Constant phantom charges, whimsical transaction declines, customer service unavailable for days at a time while you have no access to your money. If you report a false charge they will not register your complaint unless you agree to disable your account for the two weeks they say it takes them to issue you a new card -- "oh, but for a $15 fee you can have it overnight." In the middle of the pandemic. Smells mighty like a scam, or gross mismanagement at best. I am disabled and depend on this card for my Social Security. The US government needs to investigate.

Direct Express Company Information