2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

Direct Express is a prepaid card that gives you access to your federal benefits regardless of whether you have a bank account. If you receive federal benefits and want a secure way to store and use your funds, Direct Express’ easy-to-use debit card gives you simple access and is accepted at many locations.

Direct Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: April 7, 2020

Around March 23rd I see some International charges on my card. I called immediately. They told me they would send me out a forms (that I have still not gotten). Every time I call I am on the phone for at least an hour and the last three times it ends with the representative hanging up on me. They took nearly $300 out my account. Since I became disabled (12 years ago MVA) this is the first time I've had trouble with this card. It seems that there has been a breach and someone has to do something about it. They keep transferring me over and over and I keep having to give them ALL OF MY INFORMATION!!! NAME 'SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. DATE OF BIRTH... & FULL ADDRESS!!!

They keep saying they transfer me to another level which really are different people at the same place. I asked him if they're in the United States and he lies and says that he is but he can't tell me where. I have a said no forms. Am I just to lose over $300??? I am a nurse volunteering whatever I can do. Having this on my mind' worrying if I'm going to get my money back. Not having the time to be on the phone an hour plus. Just to be hung up on. This is a federally-run card. Someone must be able to help. #AmericanStrong #Pray4FirstResponders #Pray4AllOfUs.

Original review: March 31, 2020

I tried reporting my card stolen for over three days. First time I was about done even though I had charges on my card that werent belonging to me they were going to fix it. Then got disconnected somehow so I called back. A different woman answered. She was so rude. Treated me like I was a idiot and mentally not comprehending. It was her screaming at me accusing me of things I wasnt doing. I handed phone to a friend to try to mellow her and explain to her I was just listening and trying to explain. Thats when the customer service woman hung up on me. So again I waited till end of weekend. Called social security to help me with this. I was told to deal with Direct Express. I explained that they werent talking to me and I needed to know if I were even going to get a new card.

I had a car payment due and half my money was being pulled by someone putting a hold on my card for something that wasnt mine. So ss security tried calling Direct Express to see if they could straighten this out. But like with me the woman at Direct Express hung up with the woman from social security. Unbelievable. Said I had to call so I called. They wouldnt answer but made me do automated which now is so messed up. I'm sitting here trying to see if I even get any money or even a new card from this crazy company. They are the rudest people I ever had to deal with. I never had any problems but this time I had a issue this is how they treat you. As soon as I find my money I'm canceling this card. I never intend on dealing with people like this ever again. The card is good just dont ever let anyone steal or lose your card. This is how you will be treated. They wont listen to anything you try to say to them.

Original review: March 16, 2020

I called to see if my SSI had been deposited as I need it to help pay my rent. Funny thing it was put on early and as soon as it was someone wiped it out on xBox accounts. When I tried to get my transaction information the deposit was there but it took 2 days to find why it didn't show any withdrawal. Over 300 in that day which it wasn't suppose to be on there yet but they took it off for xBox then waited 2 days to inform me. Maybe our government shouldn't be trusting foreigners with our money. All together since last Sept 600 had been taken out but they never send you any deposit or withdrawal information. Im changing cards. I dont like shadiness.

Original review: March 6, 2020

My son has been using this card for years with no problems until now. Went to use it this past Saturday and it didn't work, tried withdrawing funds from it on Wednesday March 4th. ATM said they could process the transaction and to contact the financial institution. I have been trying to call for two days and there is no option to check balance or anything. You just sit on hold for hours with no answer. Tried logging on to check his account online and it thanks me for requesting a new password and says it sent a link to my email, never received a link to reset my password.

Went to Social Security. They said there was nothing they could do but are sure they will correct it. Tried call a different number social security gave me and was told they don't service the cards that start with my number and can not access my account and they are not the same company, I'm pretty sure the supervisor was lying. My son needs his money. I went to my bank and opened an account for him to start receiving his payments through a different account so this doesn't happen anymore. If they locked everyone out of their account with no access to their money what resolution does everyone have to get their money back?

Original review: March 5, 2020

I paid my part of my bills as I'm living with my mom and boyfriend and I got my card froze for no reason beyond my control. For three days now I've been trying to call customer service to verify my transactions were made by me but there is no answer. I called social security but they gave no help. I still have money on the card. My mom and I survive on this money along with her SSI for housing, food, utilities. Right now we are short on food and still have rent. What happens to us next month when I can't get my checks sad and ssi from my card when it's froze. Any suggestions?

Original review: March 3, 2020

I had my card frozen for no reason and no access to my funds. Called in every day for weeks and keep getting rude Mexicans who are laughing and saying, "Nothing we can do." I have no food or gas and cannot get to my doctor appointment. Mexican man naked “Jesus” answers. Hardly speaks complete sentences. Can assure you this low life of a man with a thug accent trying to intimidate me into just letting it go and not using my card again! Are these calls going to Mexico? Why do these agents despise Americans so much they are stealing our funds? The theft is internal and it’s very clear these are very desperate phone agents some in Mexico and Puerto Rico, third world countries, they are in on the theft and blocking cards. The agent laughed when I told him I had no medicine. When are these agents going to be held accountable for their abuse on the disabled, and theft?

Original review: March 1, 2020

I've had Direct Express for years. I used to think it was on ok card until today I see my card is locked. I called in and the rep that answered the phone didn't put in my information correctly so they put a hold on my card. Even though I answered the security questions and transaction history correctly. The supervisor was just as useless. He kept telling me to email them and saying sorry. I was correct but I have to suffer because they don't want to fix their own mistakes.

Original review: March 1, 2020

I decided it would be easier for me to receive my retirement benefits on the Direct Express card who has contracted with the US Treasury since they decided they wanted everyone receiving any type of benefits from Social Security to either have this card or issue a direct deposit to your bank so that the US Treasury would halt printing and mailing out benefits through paper checks. In my situation I went with DE only because I am a disabled senior without transportation. In order to fulfill my daily requirements I need to order everything online and have items I need delivered to my door. I just started using the card in January of this year, 2020. Everything was fine the first month until this month. Apparently if you start spending too much money, instead of calling you to ask why, they automatically place a lock on your card. Therefore any transactions afterwards are declined.

I order my groceries through Amazon Prime and my order was cancelled because they attempted to receive authorization but were declined every time I revised the billing back to the same card number. Other items I ordered were declined as well. When I called CS I was on hold for 45 minutes and spoke to that rep (Monty) who stated “I’ll transfer you to another department that can help you. Apparently you were placing online transactions and it’s required that you use the card for credit transactions not cash transactions otherwise the card will lock.” Sounds valid, makes sense. So I’m transferred but placed on hold again for 95 minutes.

When I finally reached the next rep he had no idea what the previous rep stated. He said he did see where the transactions were declined and said that whenever a lot of transactions occur, for safety reasons it will lock up. That makes no sense unless they call you to check if it’s you. In my situation since I am on a fixed income, I budget my funds. When I receive my funds I start making all payments that need to be paid and order anything I’ve placed on a list that I need, therefore issuing payments within a 3-4 span. I’ve been doing this every month with my previous bank. I’ve already transferred my benefits back to a bank and I hope it’s finalized as quickly as it was when I transferred my benefits to DE.

My main reason for this complaint is the discrimination that is so evident after looking at DE’s help site, www.directexpresshelp.com I went there to file a complaint and I read through the nightmares and continue to see other complaints on this service on other sites such as this one. Some even screaming for a Class Action Suit and rightfully so.This has been going on for years and complaints have continued to be on deaf ears with no hope of resolution. I understand that there are millions of people on benefits but once Comerica became aware of the load they were taking on, they should have restructured their CS department as well as make sure that connections to request authorizations are equipped well enough to not crash during the five times a month when benefits go out. I believe this is the reason why some transactions are approved and others declined.

That being said my point regarding obvious discrimination comes from the fact that has nothing to do with color but has everything to do with the low income society as well as those who can no longer pay taxes such as myself, the senior community. Basically they are stating that anyone that doesn’t pay taxes do not deserve the same treatment that is provided to those with a credit card or even a bank account. If you want to see the abuses that are being executed by DE just read the complaints given not only on their help site but this site and others. At least I’m working on deleting DE from my life before anything worse can happen.

The manner in which others are being treated saddens and angers me and I hope my words reach out to make some changes. Because of the fact we can no longer pay taxes does not give anyone the right to treat us as the dregs of society. Does DE feel they have the right to lock your card without notification to the party involved knowing what the consequences are that follow? Consequences described on a case by case basis in the complaints that are given where some have ended up homeless because their procedures are too lengthy and often replacement of funds are denied.

The truly sad thing is when you call Social Security they tell you it’s no longer their problem and it needs to be resolved by DE. Other than those of us having to cope with these atrocities is there anyone out there that cares enough to stand up for us as well? Whatever you do don’t use DE even if your life depends on it because it’s apparent that no one at DE really cares about what happens to you.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I have been trying for a month to have funds transferred from my Direct Express to my personal checking with a local bank. They charged me a $1.50 transfer fee and another $1.50 when the funds were put back in direct express 2 days later (transferred never happened). Their response to me after waiting 1 and 1/2 hours on hold was to TRY again. I did as they instructed me to do. Again $1.50 fee to transfer the funds. Two days later?? You guessed it, funds transferred back 'to direct express ($1.50 fee). My bank assures me that no funds ever reached them.

I called today. Another 1 and 1/2 hours on hold. Finally got through to a supervisor??? She couldn't figure out what the problem was. She blamed my local bank. She wouldn't give me the address of the main bank that administers this card. She would only tell me that it was located in the USA. She told me that someone would call me back in 3-5 business days.

This whole thing is unacceptable. I was using these funds as a deposit on a home. Needless to say the home sellers are not waiting for this problem to be resolved. Can't blame them. After all, they've waited over a month. This company is doing some shady business and I truly can't believe they are dealing with our Veteran's benefits. This is totally unacceptable. I don't know who to turn to.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

This company should not receive any stars but it is required thus the one star. I discovered fraudulent activity in the amount of $500 on my Direct Express account and begged them to not pay the transactions as I had never made them and they refused. They went ahead and paid them all including $200 to a Venmo account. They said I could dispute after they’d been pay but there was no guarantee I would ever see the money! How the government does business with this company and uses them for seniors to receive their social security every month is disgraceful. I will never use them again and will do everything I can to make sure the public is aware of what a horrific company they are! I contacted the Social Security department and they could care less. Please do not use this card for anything!

Direct Express Company Information