Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Direct Express

Direct Express is a prepaid card that gives you access to your federal benefits regardless of whether you have a bank account. If you receive federal benefits and want a secure way to store and use your funds, Direct Express’ easy-to-use debit card gives you simple access and is accepted at many locations.

Pros

• All funds are FDIC-insured
  • No bank account necessary
  • Works where Mastercard is accepted

Cons

• No lines of credit or loans available

Bottom Line

Direct Express gives federal benefits recipients an easy way to access funds without needing a bank account. The majority of federal funds are eligible for use with Direct Express, and its application process is simple and free.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Direct Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I switched from BOA to Direct Express. It was one of the worst experiences of my life!! I thought it would make life easier. But, NO ONE will accept this card when paying bills!! The very first month I tried to use it it was rejected everywhere: car insurance, life insurance, cable/internet, utilities, every single place I tried to make a payment they would not accept this card. It is considered a "pre-paid" debit card and cannot be used to pay bills. I am so glad I did not close down my BOA account because I immediately had to pull the money off of the Direct Express Card and deposit it into my BOA account in order to pay my bills. I had to call Social Security and have them transfer my monthly deposits back to BOA. Please save yourself some time and a major headache and avoid going through what I went through. It was a nightmare!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I have been trying to talk to someone about a transaction and I’m on my 4th day of calling. I have even called in the middle of the night. They don’t have a waiting for a live person option. I get that the call volume is very high and to call again!

Original review: July 30, 2021

The Direct Express is the most criminal company out there. Scamming and stealing money from the card holders. Direct Express makes 0 attempts in trying to help with any dispute and won't even try to hide the fact that they are just phishing for your information! Direct Express makes it nearly impossible to reach anyone other than customer service. The "supervisor" never calls back nor have I ever actually spoken to said "supervisor". Don't give out any info to the call center and don't send any pictures or info through the email that they provide for you.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Direct Express has the worst reps. Ever and the supervisor Alexia has no clue or care what’s going on! Nothing but trouble since the first day I got this card! I’ve had 2 issues with card, I called company, they put blocks on your card before you even tell them the problem, then they want to reissue a new card for 14$ which I did pay one time because I needed my money, their 2nd mistake, waited a month for a card, this has been 3 weeks now waiting for a new card, because I refused to pay for a 3rd card... yep card is getting thrown away and going back to my bank...

Original review: July 23, 2021

I give Direct Express one star because the fraud department did a poor job investigating fraud to my account in the amount of $750+. I was mailed a questionnaire that I completed along with a police report attached. Within 45 days, I received a letter stating that the transactions were pre authorized, that there was access to my account during dispute period (from me) when that’s impossible because the card was cancelled when the dispute period started along with other false claims listed on the letter I received.

My advice to anyone is to transfer your money to a safe account to avoid having to deal with the fraud department if something were to happen. To make it worse you’ll be on hold for over an hour EVERY SINGLE TIME you try to reach the department. Very frustrating and time consuming! I’m on hold at this very moment about the letter I received today regarding my denial and it’s going on 45 minutes already.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I used the card earlier and it worked but later didn’t and the app bore site worked and I could reach a live agent. It does this at times and hate it. I worry if I have bills it will act up in emergency.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I placed my card in a bank Machine and it shut down on me not dispersing money saying it did. My experience with Direct Express this past week has been positive. They walked me through the steps and The representatives were understanding; polite and extremely helpful. They are on top of issues that arise in such a timely manner.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Customer service and fraud department are nonexistent. Chargebacks for unauthorized charges will be denied without investigation. I've gone through the company and each vendor and cannot get my money returned. I contacted consumer finance bureau and got provisional credit only to have it taken away again. 3000 dollars has been fraudulently taken from me and they do not care.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Updated on 07/162021: I opened a dispute on 6/21, on July 2 a letter was sent out, it was found to be fraud. Directed me to check my balance for the credit of 125.00. Well I been on the phone since Monday 7/12 and it’s Friday 7/16 and I have been on the phone with ten different people at Direct Express, I am still on hold to speak with someone else. However I have been to every department a company could have, I mean I don’t have to be transferred like this with social security. We all know they have lots of departments. ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHERE IS MY MONEY AND WHO TOOK IT TO BEGIN WITH.

I was on a call the night before with a agent from direct express who I am sure working from home and the very next day around 2am I am sleeping someone using my card on Walmart.com 17 transactions, only five went through, total 125. At my expense with my disability, TOUCHING GOVERNMENT FUNDS IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE. I filed charges against direct express as I know I been with them six years and never had this issue but read the stories. What I will say is do not give these people all your personal information because they will use it and take your money and direct express will have you writing the NEXT REVIEW. As of 7/16 10:52am no credit to my account and no one has picked up and told yet when it will be applied.

Original Review: I spoke with one of the reps on June 19th and on June 20th I had over five 25 dollar transactions that was pending. I called. Asked to speak with a supervisor. Haven’t as yet. Only reps that keep transferring me around and when someone answers they hang up. It is July the 9th. I called today for the corporate number and they gave me this number **. They never use their real names and your money is not safe with this company (DIRECT EXPRESS). The sad part is I am disabled and this is my only income, the money that was stolen was for my light bill and these people allowed the transaction to go through and says it takes 90 days to get an answer. Why would social security allow these people to oversee our money.? I will be calling them next and let them know about this. So do not ever give these people your personal information for they are working from home and WILL use your info to take your funds and they are getting away with it.

Original review: July 7, 2021

Called Direct Express from 07/01/21 after 9pm. Stayed on on hold about 40min no answer. Called 7/2/21 multiple time each over 45min no answer. Finally got India 7/4/21 after 2 attempts both over 90 mins. Card was locked due to multiple ATM usage while on vac. They confirmed and unlocked just to lock card again. Called 15 times today 7/6. Heavy call volume and hangup. Rent due 5th. Borrowed due to $55 late fee, other bills due and won't unlock card. Didn't realize they were like this till others told me. Beware.

Direct Express Company Information