Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.05/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Direct Express Reviews

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I spent 12 hours trying to get an issue resolved with my debit card. I called 5 times and was on hold between 1 hour and 2 hours only to be transferred and after being on hold for another hour or more the phone hangs up. Comerica Bank should have never been awarded this contract by our government. I want to know whose palm is being greased. They are nothing short of criminal. The elderly and poor are actually being robbed by this bank. I am going to report my story to the newspapers and my Congressman.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Been trying for 5 days calling several times a day to get customer service to report a fraudulent charge. It always hangs up saying high call volumes call back later. I have No way to email a manager. Ridiculous.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

My mother had over $600 taken off her card a few days ago by Amazon and doesn't even shop there. Called Amazon, told them what happened and they can give us no info even though my mother's card is being charged... Wtf... I'll be leaving amazon a review as well. But this company says they can do nothing about it. So frustrated even made a police report.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I got both my ssi and disability in 11/119. Withdrew my disability money from the card with no problem. Used my ssi to pay my phone bill and credit card payment then called to check my balance. Said i had $91. A few hours later checked balance again and noticed a $39 cash transaction i didnt do. Tried calling the call center and got a recording saying all lines were busy call back later. Called about 19 times. Got through once to find out my card had been drained but unable to reach anyone. Been calling since fri only to get a recording saying all lines busy call back. Sent a text message saturday no reply yet.

Called last night sunday and it just jeot hanging up. Today just get a busy signal. I dont have any food or nothing and no way to cancel my cards. Cant find any info on the web on whats going on until i came across this site. Wtf is going on. Based on reviews on another site Direct Express does not follow through with recovering stolen funds but i shall try. I am heavily considering suing the company bank or whoevers responsible. Im 55 years old and disabled so it's not like i can go get a day job to earn some cash.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

October 2nd fraudulent charges showed up on my card and here it is November 3rd and I've spent hours and hours and hours on the phone trying to get through to talk to a live human being. Some hang up. Some don't speak English. Some act like they don't hear you on the phone. I do not recommend Direct Express to anybody. Keep your paper check or direct deposit to a bank or other prepaid card. They have ** customer service skills for being with the government and it's just ridiculous. I'm still trying to get my money back. I talked to one customer service representative, get through with all my information, get transferred to another representative get through with all my information, get transferred to another representative and all of a sudden my information doesn't match.

How is that possible? I don't get it but I hate this card and there's got to be other ways for other people to get your card information other than using it at a restaurant or something like that because this doesn't make sense. I didn't do any of the things that it said that I could have did for these fraudulent charges to be on there besides the fact that every time I call direct Express I have to give all my information every time!!! I honestly believe it's somebody from the company that got my information and took my money!!! It's ** and the government's ** as well!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

So, my SS retirement check went to an old unused Direct Express card. Out of date, after 5 calls, on hold over 40 minutes each call. They said all they can do is issue me a new card. Takes several days. Would let me transfer my...My money to a checking account. I was told after hours and hours. of waiting, I can get it when I get a new card. I will be closing this. Next month and use a bank account. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

So basically my micro preemie, disabled son receives benefits from SSI on the Direct Express card. Since March 2019 to October 2019 there have been 3 different charges every month on his card. I've went through all the steps as far as replacing the card, filling out the packet, faxing it back in within the 10 days so he could get the provisional credit they said he could receive, remind you after calling for 2 weeks to finally get through to someone. The representative told me that it was still under investigation and that he should receive the provisional credit soon since they had not finish the investigation within 10 days.

On the 10th day still nothing so I called back for 3 days to be told the exact same thing then they hung up on me before I could ask all my questions I had. I then called again but this time the 3rd rep. Told me that even though they tell people to do all this for the provisional credit they really don't give that out to people and that, that's just something they say. I really got upset when this happened and asked to speak with her supervisor so I could find out why the hell we're they getting people's hopes up for it to be all false. I also wanted to find out wth was going on with our dispute, so when her supervisor gets on the phone and I started to ask questions about their corrupted business she hangs up on me!!!

It took me another 3 days to reach someone again cause their call volume was so high. This time when I tried to address all my issues the lady tried to act like my whole dispute had musically disappeared. Luckily I have all my fax receipts and I also started to record my calls with them. Here it is Nov. 1 2019 and I got a letter in the mail telling me that all the charges that were made to my son's account were my fault and I authorized them. This is B.S.

So now I've started my next move towards them and have called our local news channel here and told them all about my story and even offered for them to listen to the phone recordings I have with them. I will not allow them to steal my son's money like this, they owe him $1200 and I will fight to the bitter end to get it!!! Just like I told the news reporter my son has had a hard enough time in life so far coming into this world at 24wks 1lb. 4oz., I'd be damn if I let these thieves take the money he needs!!

I've been talking to other people going through the same issues and I really think we need to go down to our local SSI building or down to our state capitol and start protesting.... Something has to be done cause we can not afford to let these people continue to do this to any of us. We are living check to check... And barley surviving. Let alone direct express robbing us blind, it time for us to make a stand!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I have had it with this poorly-supported Direct Express card, every time I have needed to inquire about a transaction I either would have to wait for at least forty-five minutes normally, or get a pre-recorded message stating that they're having "heavy call volume", even if you call first thing in the morning, or last minute in the evening. I think they close at 7:00 or 8:00 PM there in Texas, though supposedly they run 24/7, according to advertising. I found them to be rude, generally poorly-spoken, and sometimes would tell me to have a nice day without resolving my problem, then hanging up. They don't care about their customer base, I suppose they get a fat contract with the government and feel free to run the card into the ground.

I most recently was unable to make small online purchases from eBay, couldn't process payment, though I have used the same unexpired card for a very long time, OR I would go to a store to buy something and find out that they could not connect with the card issuers' network. I then would have waited in a long line only to have NO way to pay for my items, and of course you normally can't get hold of anyone at the card company, or at times their site is down, so you can't even check your balance, sometimes I wasn't even able to check my balance with their phone number. I think I will go with a prepaid card and let these people bury themselves in their poor business practices, because I really don't need the aggravation and lack of concern.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

WARNING. Please read! Direct Express fraud is internal. The theft on the Cards is a internal scam. I called in due to be locked out of my online account, a ** girl answered the phone when I called In and told me she needed to reset my pin. She then asked me to confirm my phone number and said it’s wasn't the number she had on file. She was lying. This is part of the scam. She then emailed me a Link to log into with a new passcode she created then drained my account!! This internal theft is something that they have know about. Criminals working here preying on the poor and disabled. All they need to do is monitor the calls and they refuse to. The people who work at direct express are very uneducated and shady and thugs! You can tell by the way they talk and treat the customers. I hope these scum go to jail soon!! I have no food and now cannot use my car because I have no gas or rent.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I had this card for many years. It's always a problem getting issues resolved. This is my last straw. Since middle of Oct 2019 my account has been in a negative standing in which every single Direct Express rep I spoke to was rude, didnt care and unapologetic. I'm on a fixed low income thus is all I have to take care of my family and keep a roof over our heads. The 30day process to handle my situation will leave my family and me homeless once again.

Direct express reps blame U-Haul saying they forcefully took $218.21 from my account on October 7th. I tried to conference the supervisor at Direct Express to speak with U-haul director. She was rude and hung up. There's no proof U-Haul took anything. Even on my statement it doesnt show however on Oct 2nd they took 220.75 and released it back with auth code **. U-Haul president also states they did contact their credit card department who also said no such charge happened. I asked for a new card is all Direct Express did. They never completed my case. I'm so scared not to get this money back. The call keeps saying now call back heavy call volume. This will lead me to legal action. This matter is 100% important.

Direct Express Company Information