1.07/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

198 Direct Express Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I never looked for a card, let alone asked for one. I received a letter in the mail saying they were sending me one, I threw it away thinking it was a scam, but a few days later, I received the one if their cards in the mail. I called to find out why and spoke to two different women, one of which was a different Nationality. BOTH were horribly rude, one made it sound like it was MY fault I received it. The other blamed it on the US Treasury. By some research, it looks like they are contracted by the US Treasury and the US Treasury needs to find a better way to get benefits to people that do not have bank accounts. Their Customer Service is non-existent. You actually have to put in WRONG information to the automated system when you call JUST to GET to an operator.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

From the start of getting this card I knew there were going to be problems. The agents are rude. They never allow you to talk to a manager and they act as if your money is theirs. I have had money stolen off my card and sent in proof that it was not me and my whereabouts at the time and they still never put my money back. I wish I could get the check back. I hate the card. I rather deal with Social Security. I am going to file a lawsuit call the Better Business Bureau and make sure everyone that uses this card knows they are scams.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. There is some serious fraud being committed and I can't believe they are even in business let alone allowed to be in charge of people on S.S.They have the rudest C.S. I had my money taken from my account for 4 months and canceled card several times for the same person to get my info again and again to drain account and even email me copy of my card and say she will take my money again on first for them to treat me rude and do nothing.

I canceled again and am going different route. I would not use this service for anything. The best part is when you call to report fraud or theft and it is recording saying high call volume and disconnects you. Gives them a little more time to get the rest of your money. The last card I activated it at machine took my money out and the same person again used the last 9.00 to make a purchase I guess to let me know they had my new number again that was expressed to me. It is an inside job. I did not use it anywhere else. Don't use this company. They will not help you and care nothing about the elderly or disabled.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Get always from these lazy no good people... I have had a refund sent by PayPal and PayPal told me they sent it... and this and Direct Express says they don't have it. I guess my money is lost in cyberspace... I told them to go over records and they have not... I WANT MY MONEY. And if you happen to get a supervisor named Barbara she is the most robotic, lazy, unhelpful waste of flesh I have ever communicated with... I'm going to corporate and rattling some cages. I don't give up that easy.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

They let people clone a card and try to get money out of my account for 3 months without telling me. This month they got $600. Now the bank's trying to make it look like it needed did it that way. They can collect the FDIC money and if you don't believe me but the 585 complaints against them they've done the same thing over and over and over the seniors' money but they're not going to get away with it with me.

I'm going to start a class action lawsuit. I will run ads on social media and get the 580 people that they screwed and that's just counting. They always blame the person. That was your fault. Everything is our fault but yet they still the money even have the guts to charge a service fee on people stealing your money from out of state. Mine was told 3 hours after I got it and I was in California. They were in South Carolina but yet it's my fault. They like the LAPD in California when they talked to him they change their story. They lied to me. The paper they sent me says 10 days and I'll put the money back in my account. This is the 12th and they tell me it's going to be the end of the month if I get it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I went to draw out money from Direct Express sponsored bank (Comerica) and the ATM failed to dispense the funds, but the money was removed from my card! I immediately went into the bank to find out what happened with my transaction, where stood other people who were having ATM problems too. The difference is they left as happy customers because they had a "real" bank account with them, and my account is basically through a third party (Direct Express).

I was told that I have to contact Direct Express and file a dispute claim; I finally got through to customer service only to be told that I can file the dispute but it could take as long as 45 business days for them to reissue the funds after they've done an investigation. I receive SSI and have to pay rent from these funds; what am I suppose to tell my landlord while they figure this out?!? As soon as this ordeal is over, I am leaving Direct Express and getting an actual bank account to receive my SSI monies.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I found over a holiday weekend the theft of my tablet and wallet. I learned of the theft when I had an email confirmation from a hotels.com. I immediately got in contact with Hotels.com to advise them my account seems to have been accessed and a hotel book and that it was unauthorized. They told me they couldn't help me and advised I contact my card company. I then looked at my card charges on Direct Express and saw a number of unauthorized charges and called them to advise the theft which was 9/3. They asked about and reviewed the fraudulent charges and canceled the card. They told me I did get in their mail the papers to sign and return within 5 business days and to have them back by the 18th. At that time I would receive a 10 day provisional credit.

On Sep 10th I called and they noted I had not received the documents, they said, "Be patient they will arrive." On 9/13 the documents were reviewed and I completed and returned them on the 14th which I have proof of mailing. I now was expecting my provisional credit but it never appeared. I started calling the number to the fraud department on the 25th and got a message saying they were unable to take calls because they were updating systems. I called again on the 26th, 27th and 28th and again October 1st and 3nd at least twice each of those days day and got the same message.

Finally today, October 4 after a 1 hour and 45 minute hold I had a person on the phone. She verified my account and then looked for any notes. Surprising no notes existed except the 10 provisional credit was denied. I asked why that had not been communicated to me and the reason. She said she didn't know. I asked to speak to a manager which was another 15 minute hold and when she came to the phone she told me that the provisional credit was not issued because the forms I submitted dated and signed Sep 14 were not received until Sep 19, which was 1 day late so now I had to wait 90 days.

I told her that the form which I received 8 days after they were generated and returned the next day after I received them on the 14 and they claimed in order to get the provisional credit they needed it by the 18th and they got it the 19th. Of course I have no way to prove it was received that day but given the lack of organization and process it's easy to assume they entered it late to avoid a provisional credit. She blamed me, the postal service and everything she could besides Direct Express for the issue.

She now says 90 days and if you want it quicker maybe I should go to the places the card was used and see if the merchant would refund me. This lack of professional responsibility and the only company that disability money can be sent to giving then people with illnesses and disabilities who need their money and play games that make the process longer. Each month 300 million dollars is given to them from the Federal Government for the benefits distribution. But the scams and business ethics are a terrible example of not caring for those most in need.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

You can’t talk to a live representative. Then when someone comes on the phone they are reading a scripted line and then they hang up on you. Very poor customer service. They keep you on hold for 30 minutes to an hr or more only to tell you to keep calling back.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Scammed me out of 39 bucks in illegal fees. Yes. Was charge fees I never agreed to. Called Direct Express to dispute these fees. Very rude and was told no. I have proof with a police report card was never received. Contacted the BBB to no avail. Also contacted the FDIC.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Called customer service and the menu items all end up being routed through automated systems, with no 'speak to a representative/operator' option. So I clicked on menu item #3 to report a lost/stolen card in the hopes of actually speaking to a person. I did. The individual I spoke with, Pete, who was polite, could not help me, so I asked for a supervisor. After being on hold for ~20 minutes, which is unacceptable, the floor supervisor was not only unhelpful, but unwilling to help, continuously saying 'I can't help you,' instead of trying to find ways to be able to offer help.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Was told I did not return fraud packet in 10 working days. Did not get packet till 7th working day. Have no money for my medicine told that was my problem 45 to 90 days to investigate they had to follow procedure. They are crooks and incompetent.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Having a disability and living on a fixed income is hard enough. But when you find purchases unaccounted for, I call around sending the proof that this is an error. A few friends of mine say the same, in a nutshell I had first experience, a $100.00 loss to the Uber company. After all the calls to fix the problem, sending proof to Direct Express to refund my money, All the paperwork to retrieve my funds, all for them to say they could not accommodate me. Ok it happened a second time with Amazon.com. Again I had proof everything on Uber and Amazon's end all in my favor to be swindled again. If anyone's been sent a letter to say they cannot accommodate you and you have the proof of the error, then it's time to to get a reputable account at a trustworthy establishment.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Hi everyone. I'm going through the same thing. I am out of 675$ because my information was compromised on August 31 2018. They keep giving me the run-around. They customer service people tell you one thing and it's another police or FBI NEED TO INVESTIGATE PHISHING FROM THEIR CARD SERVICE. Also contact me at **. Lavance is my name. I'm reaching out to everyone for this. I need my money.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I was double charged for a one-night hotel stay. I filed a dispute over a month ago. The dispute department hasn't rectified the issue & didn't give me the provisional credit back. The company's fraudulent. They have been getting away with scamming the elderly and disabled for years.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had my direct deposits going to this account for almost a year. The card was almost impossible to pay bills with and retrieving cash from it I was constantly billed to get my own money. So in May 3 months ago I made my direct deposit go straight to my checking account. It is September and somehow this company changed my direct deposit from my personal checking account back to their company without my permission and without notice.

I bounced checks due to this and got return check fees because I was told my direct deposit was issued and it was just to their fraudulent company and not my account it was suppose to be. I called this company 6 times was hung up on numerous times was told different things by different agents. After 6 hours I finally got a supervisor who would not tell me where the request came from to have my direct deposit ceased by this company without my permission. Said I would have to get a subpoena to get that information. Well... they will get their subpoena.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

This company is fraudulent! I have seen too many reviews of peoples money being repeatedly stolen. I do not believe it's by anyone but this company themselves. The same thing keeps happening. When you file a police report you should let them know that you believe this company is fraudulently stealing their customers money. This company needs to have a class action lawsuit brought against it now.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Well I get paid on the 1st, went to use my card and it was declined, checked my balance when I got home and it was almost all gone compared to what should be in the account. DirectExpress said even though the money is still in my account, that the account balance shows what it will be after the money transfers out to those that committed fraud on me. Three times today my account was hit for a sum that equaled all three hits each time until it drained my account and they say they can't stop it or prevent it cause they are not a bank. They are connected to CoAmerica but not a bank, so basically there are a clearing hour with the government and have no banking authorities and that I must wait until the money leaves the account. They can't freeze the taking of it even though it is still in my account cause they are not a bank and once it's taken then I can file a grievance!!! I thought what lunacy is this.

They deal with military benefits such as disability military pay for thousands of veterans and this is what we get? I am so done with them and on the day after Labor Day 2018 I am contacting the non bank of Direct Express and tell them that they need to reroute my money to my real bank and that they are no longer acting on my behalf as a financial entity. BE AWARE FOLKS, GET YOUR MONEY IN A REAL BANK, NOT A PRETEND GOVERNMENT ENTITY THAT CAN PROTECT YOU.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Just had $1500 stolen from my account via ‘cash transfer’ which HAS the account number and bank of the thieves, but Direct Express will DO NOTHING for 10 days until they see if the transaction goes through. My word is not good enough for them that I did not make this transaction. After the 10 days, I am supposed to call back and open a dispute, which can take up to 90 days or more. I am broke now until the last week of September and I get another SSI check. Instead of being proactive, Direct Express would rather I suffer and make the tax payers reimburse all the monies stolen by fraud. What a P.O.S. bank. I am doing all I can to have the Government drop these useless ** as the payment method for SSI and others.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

The debit cards are terrible. They work but 75% of the time. I have to swipe or insert my card more than once at least 60% of the time. Their cards aren't taken by some online services because they are prepaid cards. These cards eventually stop working. Anyway, I noticed my card was nearing the end of its swiping/inserting life cycle because it was not working more often. I called Direct Express yesterday, 8/17/18, to request a new card. Supposedly a new card was sent out already on 8/13. I was floored! I didn't personally make that request. They confirmed the shipping address to make sure it's going to the correct place. Then they tell me why I'm getting a new card. Apparently their systems may have been compromised so they were sending me a new card. I find this to be suspicious, so everyone watch out. How can we trust banks anymore?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I would like to share the few experiences that I ran into while dealing with this company. I am a realtor, and my client is an Direct Express customer. While trying to just get my clients bank statements, so that we can underwrite his new home, we encountered a website that only prints out transaction summaries, and then when calling the customer service, they would not email or fax any bank statements. They said we have to mail them. So, they did, but they forgot to include the last page on two of the statements.

We called again, asked to speak to a supervisor, this time, we were on a three way call with my client, the loan officer, and Direct Express. Again, the supervisor said, that they could only mail them. We said that we just need to inform whoever mails it this time, includes the missing pages. We were told, they don't do that. We asked to speak with her supervisor. After a long wait. This woman gets on with the loan officer and my client, and we start to explain again, that all we need is the last page of the statement. Can't you fax, or email this to save time? After all, it was your company that didn't send the whole statement? This women wasted no time. She said, "Are you on a three way call?" We said, "Yes". She said, "We don't allow three way calling."

We said that all we need is the last page of the statement to process my clients loan? She repeated, "We don't allow three way calling", and then hung up! To make matters worse the pages that we need don't have anything written on them. It would just be page 4 of 4, because the bank statement stated 1-4 pages. They were rude, arrogant, and left their own customer dangling because of their mistake. There are mortgage commitment dates and a settlement date that may not be met because of this absurd policy and incompetence. My client will be removing his money from this bank, and I would strongly urge anyone that uses this bank, to do the same. Horrible attitude and service.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

On Monday 8-13-2018 I discovered that my Direct Express account was cleaned out last Saturday 8-11-2018. Someone called Direct Express ordered a new card and then was allowed to take my money. They requested Direct Express grant them card less benefits, without verifying it was me. Direct Express did nothing to verify it was me, no security questions or phone call to prove it was me. I just activated a new card last Thursday and it didn't seem suspicious, they have been contacted about this happening by other Direct Express customers, yet they allowed it to be done again. I was taken for $4.00 card replacement fee and $563.33 MoneyGram with a $12.00 fee, in total it comes to $579.33. I will be taking legal actions against them and Comerica Bank.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

My SSI gets direct deposited onto my direct express card on the 1st of every month! Well on Aug 1, 2018 I called to verify that funds were available to pay my bills. Recording said that I had requested a new card and this one was now deactivated and new card had been issued. Confused I called to say I never requested a new card that mine was working fine! Too late, have to wait for new card now. Well the card didn’t come in mail till Aug 9th. When I called to activate new card it didn’t have my money on it.

So I spoke to a representative to see why. It seems that someone claiming to be me used my account to request a MoneyGram over the phone and withdraw $738.00 out of my account (on Aug 5th) before I had even received the card in the mail or activated it! How is this even possible??? From the posts below I see that I’m not the only one that this has happened to this month! Get it together Direct Express! Someone is scamming your company at our expense! Fix this and give me my money back ASAP! Living on a fixed income is no laughing matter! We barely have enough to survive but with issues like this happening we will all end up homeless!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I called to request an expedited replacement card. I notified them during the call of my address change. Was willing to pay the 13.50 to have my card in 2 business days. Sat at home the entire day for UPS. Rec’d notification that the driver attempted to deliver, but no one home. Called UPS and is covered that Direct Express gave UPS wrong address. Requested new card which would arrive 2 days after my rent was due. The rep said she would submit a fee reversal ticket for the initial 13.50 and the second ticket for 13.50 +4.00 card replacement fee. She said it would take 5 business days, so to call back after the 10th if not resolved. I asked why it would be investigated since the 1st rep clearly sent to wrong address and she said she couldn’t guarantee it and that they would listen to recording. I stated that I was disabled, not stupid because I know my address.

She transferred me to MoneyGram so that I could get some cash via MoneyGram on the 5th so as not to pay my rent late. That was another 12.00 fee, not to mention the cost in gas to receive it at the closest Walmart. I called on the 11th and was told that there were never any tickets submitted. The rep apologized a dozen times, but refused to explain why they weren’t submitted. 13.50x2+4.00=31.00. That’s quite a hefty fee to be charged for someone on a limited income. I chose Direct Express because the VA recommended them as well as SSD. I am ok with paying the $12.00 for the MoneyGram, but I’m not ok with paying a total of $43.00 because of a mistake clearly caused by an incompetent rep and then to be lied to by another rep who wasted my time with the fee reversal ticket that wasn’t even submitted because of laziness.

I wonder if the VA or the SS office is aware of how Direct Express scams and lies to their customers who are trying to survive on limited incomes. I’m going to open a checking acct next month and be done with this company. I cannot believe that they would refuse to reverse a fee when they’re at fault or lie and say they submitted the fee? I am ok with paying a single fee because I lost my card, but I’m not ok with paying 4 fees because of their incompetence and laziness. C’mon Direct Express, do the right thing by your veterans and the disabled. This is so wrong on so many levels!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Our social security check gets put on this card one a month. On Aug 2 a phone call was placed to this company stating that it was me and that I lost my card and wanted the company to send a money gram. The only verification Direct Express made to the person verify that is was supposedly me was name, address and SSN. Direct Express then sent my funds to a person claiming to be me over the phone, the person then received every penny in my acct just by knowing those three pieces of my info and just like that my acct was emptied.

As a disabled veteran I am beyond upset that there was not a follow up call to make sure it was me or even a pass or pin on my acct. Do not use this company. It is not protected and you will become victim to identity thief And your money gone. I had to freeze all my accts, file a police report and make numerous phone calls to Direct Express in which has done nothing to get me answers. I'm beyond sicken that one a person would steal my money and to the person I trust to hold my money would not have strict policies protecting me and my social security money. Direct Express should be investigated for their polices and releasing unauthorized funds.

And the social security dept should be rethinking putting their trust into this company. I bet this has defiantly happened in the past! Why was no follow up call made after they said damaged card or why does this company require a pin or password when you call to make or request new cards to help protect against things like this?!?

All a person had to do is call up, use my name, SSN, and address. Say card was damaged. Didn't even need to know the card number, request a Money Gram be sent, go and get the funds. It's absolutely insane the lack of protection and Negligence Direct Express has. I almost think it was inside job. I can't even pay my cell phone bill without a passcode but this company just gives your money away cause you know the address and claim your card is damaged. It is absolute madness!!! Do not use the company for anything and social security office should be ashamed they require people to use them instead of getting paper checks. Beyond disgusted.

Original review: July 16, 2018

My experience I read exactly has happened to me that I just read about a 64 year old man. I went to Chase Bank and I went and withdrew $300 and the money never came out. I called Direct Express. They sent me a package. Told me that if I filled it out and sent it back within 10 business days I will get provisional credit to my account until they finish their investigation. Today is the 10th business day and there's nothing on my account. I'm tired of them saying they understand how I feel. They have no clue how I feel.

I am living on a fixed income. That was more than half of what I get every month and they tell you that there's no way of being connected to these people that decide what they're going to give you and when they're going to give it to you and it is true they tell you that it's not guaranteed and that you might have to wait. None of that is said on the paper that's mailed to you. It is misrepresentation and they know it and I believe they purposely trained these people on the phone not to be able to talk to them because they don't want to have to deal with us cuz they know what they're doing is wrong.

I have doctor's appointments and medical things that I have to go to. I don't have no family and nobody to ask help from and I still have to wait another two and a half weeks before the first of the month and when I tell them that they say, "I'm sorry I understand." They don't understand nothing. I agree with that man. They lie. They scam and they say anything.

I believe they just want their paperwork and that's the way to lure you in because you would leave. You're going to get your money ahead of time and then when the time comes they have these people trained to lie. I'm about to call Channel 7 On Your Side and report them and let them see how they handle that because we're all victims to this company and somebody's got to take a stand for all of us and I think I'm going to be the one to do it.

Original review: July 15, 2018

4 charges were obvious fraud, I canceled the card during an Uber trip charged for $200! Charge had to go through then I protest the charge. I was told, "What a crock," I filed police report, filed fraud forms & submitted to Direct Express fraud dept in the allotted time. The investigator DANIEL, whom I've left 3 messages on his voicemail 8 days ago and promised a call back within 24-48 hours, NOT! Declined fraud because I had used my card with Uber a previous time? And the other at Walmart.com, not used on my account or email there, denied because I have a Walmart.com account! Hello Daniel, come back to planet Earth! So do 200 million other people! What a lazy derelict! Not to mention I think Comerica Bank and Direct Express is a scam and SOMEONE (s) are getting very very wealthy on taxpayers' backs!

Original review: July 2, 2018

First of all Direct Express is forced on you at the Social Security office otherwise no one would even engage with these people. They're a bunch of low down double talkin no customer satisfaction Bandits. For instance if you want to find an ATM with a free withdrawal without having to pay $3 you best look long and hard because there's two and one of them is closed after 9 to 5 so you can see how accessible your money is. 2 you can't add anything to your account. You can't make a deposit. You can't transfer. You can't do anything. All you can do is get your money from Social Security.

Next and what really Burns me up is their little provisional credit system. They use like if you buy something from Amazon.com and you return it or cancel your order immediately Direct Express has said that they've issued a provisional credit for that money and they take 5 business days to return it to your account even though the money is never gone anywhere because Amazon doesn't withdraw the money from your account until they shipped the item. But yet they won't let the poor people that have so little money to their name to spend access it when they need it without putting them through all this rigmarole and then just try and call customer service and get any satisfaction because you won't.

All you'll get is a hard time someone reading you policy that you could have read off the pamphlet if they didn't have the prints so small and when you call anyway they say over, "Experiencing high volume of call. I'm sorry. Call back later." They're useless. I tell you the best thing I ever will do will be to take my deposit my direct deposit away from these people and put it anywhere else anywhere else Check Cashing Store Hustler on the corner. Anything provides more satisfaction than these people. These people are not for the consumer. Now tell me if I'm lying.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Direct Express double charge me for credit card and card fee three times. They said they would refund my money 3 times. They lied. They are refusing to give my money back. They admitted fault saying it was their fault and still no refund. Every time I contact them they say, "Oh will submit another form," but no refund.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I authorized a payment to AAA...$81.00. On my statement that Direct Express sent to me, they show an additional charge of $22.24, the same day I authorized the $81.00. Talking to Direct Express is like talking to a wall. They don't know why it shows two charges. I told them that all I was doing is reading what they sent me. I authorized a car insurance payment of $311.12...and the same day an additional charge was for $162.02. Now, the Direct Express says it is not what shows on their computer, but it does show up on my monthly statement. Why have a statement sent to me if it doesn't match what they have on their computer. The Direct Express people are unable, or won't, understand why I am contesting these charges. I told them I never authorized them. Oh, AAA said they only received the $81.00, car insurance only received $311.12, I wonder who got the additional money I was charged.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have been a Direct Express debit card user for over 5 years and I have been illegally charged each time I use my debit card. I demand that Direct Express be investigated and prosecuted for illegal debit card charges. I further demand that Direct Express accounts be frozen and its owners be prosecuted. I demand $80,000 in damages which I plan to file in court.

Direct Express Company Information