1.8/5 (581 ratings)

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Direct Express

Direct Express is a prepaid card that gives you access to your federal benefits regardless of whether you have a bank account. If you receive federal benefits and want a secure way to store and use your funds, Direct Express’ easy-to-use debit card gives you simple access and is accepted at many locations.

Pros

• All funds are FDIC-insured
  • No bank account necessary
  • Works where Mastercard is accepted

Cons

• No lines of credit or loans available

Bottom Line

Direct Express gives federal benefits recipients an easy way to access funds without needing a bank account. The majority of federal funds are eligible for use with Direct Express, and its application process is simple and free.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Direct Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: March 8, 2022

On the 3rd of Feb, 2022 right before 3 am est. I and my payee went to our local wawa to withdrawal my funds to pay towards my rent, my payee noticed 176.67 or some odd close amount had been charged to this card that I know has never been approved to charge for any auto payments etc... Noone consulted anyone to make any charge or payments to this card so we took appropriate measures to report in a timely and respectful manner, we received dispute paperwork to dispute this unknown occurred transaction in which later we found out was not honored by Direct Express after telling my payee they would credit that amount back to my account if the papers were received back within a timely manner in which when that paper came from direct express we never left the post office before filling it out and immediately sending it back to direct express. "We did our part."

They lied and were improfessional as always, you can never understand them or vice versa, when you call to fix one problem it is like a revolving door. They start messing with other crap that has nothing to do with the actual card at hand. "For instance whitelisting her other benefit card that had no problem whatsoever." See what I mean!! So long story short every day since the 3rd we have been on with dispute from that to ordering a new card to not being told we can't just activate it when it comes that we will have to go through a whole new security measure again.

"It is way after the 3rd and we can not still after 3 different calls finding out the previous rep did not put in the correct dates caused another huge delay, me on the verge of eviction, and still I am unable to use my card. We just found out over 48 hours ago that they had to take off that whitelist that was on 3 times ago and might I mention it is past 48 hours for it to be lifted even if it does or does not work after 2 hour mark," per direct express.

Now we're going into almost the middle of the month and still only was about to just use at pos only. Now it won't even do that again so I'm calling direct express and their phone lines are so high from there bull crap that it hangs up when you attempt to prompt to speak to a rep! Which by the way only offers to you if you wish to dispute a problem! We should not have to beg to obtain funds we went through to get fixed numerous times before it is like noone takes their time to read do their job and be considerate to anyone unless it happens to them or their loved ones! A

Original review: March 3, 2022

Have called Direct Express for the past 3 days unable to resolve my request for new card. Also, when I called each time, it took over an hour before a live person would come on the phone only to tell me they needed to transfer me to another dept? I tried calling several different numbers off the website and each time I called the automated system only gives one option to select from and when you select that option the phone hangs up on you!!!! HOW frustrating!!! I have complained to the Social Security Office as well as the US Treasury and sent an email to Direct Express regarding this issue. Hoping it will be resolved quickly.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

The PNC Bank ATM machine kept my US Direct Card, asking me to contact my financial institution. When I finally, got thru to a live person, she did not know why it was taken. According to PNC Bank representative, the ATM is serviced by a third-party company, and they could not contact them. I was told that I would be charged $13+ to get the new card shipped to me USPS! Well, I had no choice as I needed my card to pay my monthly bills. Well, it's been longer than the allocated days and no card yet. However, I cannot speak with a live person now because they are always and you can't be placed in a queue, so they hang up forcing you to keep calling back. This is unacceptable and Social Security should get another vendor who cares about their client and wellbeing. We need our funds and it's not fair they have all of the control and won't even allow you to speak with them. Poor Service.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I fully hate Direct Express with a passion. It's bad. They suck so bad I'm gonna put in a lawsuit against them and sue their **, they are some low-down dirty dogs who don't care about people who getting their benefits thru disability for ssi ssa or ssdi veterans. They have me waiting a month and I still hasn't received my card. I ordered a replacement card because they canceled it due to me having a dispute. I ordered 3 replacement cards, still haven't gotten any one. I can't pay my rent, eat dinner, nothing. I'm so screwed because of these rotten ** people. I'm just so disgusted. I don't know what to do smdh, it's horrible, a freaking nightmare on Direct Express Street...

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

For no apparent reason, they indiscriminately lock you out of certain vendors. When I've called to find out why, they don't have a reason. I am so disgusted that I tried to link my checking account tonight to transfer funds. I tried many to verify that it was indeed me and I wanted to perform this action, and the website wouldn't take my reply - on top of that - they say I have to wait 2-3 to even transfer the funds - What?!?! This is my money and I should be able to transfer funds within 24 hours. I have changed my direct deposit to go into one of my bank accounts, and I am done with these clowns. They do not allow you to do what you want with your own money, it's absurd. For what is supposed to be a convenience, is anything but. Now I have to call customer service, and we all know how rotten their customer service is! I cannot wait to be done with them. Just horrible.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

It took me four times for Direct Express to send my card overnight. They claim my address does not exist. They can not speak English. They are rude, dumb as rocks. I hate them people and so dumb they should not be in business.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I want to let people know to begin with Do Not Trust these people with your benefits because it is impossible to get money back if it gets stolen or removed without your consent. They are rude about it. As soon as you call to tell them the only option you always get is get a new card and that's as far as it goes because even if you have them check it they will come up with some excuse that covers their ** so we lose whatever it is. You can bet on that. I would think for disabled and elderly people they would be more helpful and protective of their accounts but that is not the case with this company. So soon as I finish this I am going to have my soc sec changed to my Netspend card. I have never had these problems with them. They make sure if your money gets taken that you get it back. So good luck to all that have this. I am honestly hoping you guys find you an alternative so you don't get screwed like I have. Have a great day. Dianne **

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

It seems if you use this card for online purchases and you need to return items for a refund you are out of luck. It is only the SSA who is authorized to put funds on your card, a vendors refund where you used the card to initially purchase notwithstanding. This ends up sucking because your card will hang up somehow and if you try to remedy this the entire amount of funds on your card can disappear. If you pay with DE and vendor must issue refunds in the same manner you initially paid with.

There's a lot of cardholders call in their cards as lost or stolen when they try to get out of a recurrent charge or a 3 day introductory charge that rolled over into some exorbitantly charged adult websites and date sites mostly. You can get out of these charges for a little while this way but soon enough you will find the entire amount of funds on your card disappear because you ran out on a network of high risk processors and didn't properly end your contract with them. This card features a courtesy roll over to new card numbers for expired cards, lost or stolen cards so you wont have to go through updating vendors with your new card numbers. This is largely for the vendors benefit not yours however.

It's easy to predict and guess what someone's new card number is if you know a little bit about how card numbers are generated. That hasn't changed since the 1980s and shady vendors are onto it. It's really risky using a debit card and most users of the DE card will at some point see the entire amount of funds on their card disappear usually when its freshly loaded. Its next to impossible to talk to live customer service and if you happen to get lucky enough to talk to someone they will hang up on you because they give themselves 45 days to resolve complaints. I switched to bank deposits which seem safer and less hassle to receive SSD benefits.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

I always paid my bills on time especially Con Edison. Strange thing Direct Express has no record in 2021 me paying my utility bill. When I look at my utility acct# under payment received money was taken off the card (Direct Express). I only used my Direct Express card no one else helps me pay my bills. Con Edison claims I owe them $$ for each month but under my payment history it says payment was received from 2019 to now. I'm being deceived by both one claiming I owe the other has no record.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

My account was wiped clean on Oct 1st, at 6:40 in the a.m. When I called to make a complaint about the issue, it felt like I was talking to emotionless robots. No one seemed to care that the money was taken, they seemed to care more about the evaluation at the end of the call. I was told the investigation would take 45 days. So not only did my son have to go without for a full 30 days, with 4 days left, I called to check on the outcome and was told I still had to wait another 45 days!!!!

An investigation taking this long, sounds like no one's on the job. I Hate companies like this, where the cust. service rep actually thinks they have power and authority over the customer. Definitely will be going another route with my son's funds. Direct Express is a sour ** co.!!! If I had it my way they wouldn't get any stars at all.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

They didn't help. I'm disability. I just need my replacement dept card so please send me one. That all I'm asking. Please just send me one. I need to pay my rent and bills. I have children to feed so please, please

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I just tried to make a purchase from Walmart online, and they locked my card for placing too many orders with them. I then tried to order from Amazon.com, and the same thing happened! If you do business with a vendor that charges your card when the item ships, it's easy to go over the number of transactions allowed per merchant. Of course, they still hold on to your money, even if you have no way to spend it.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

My 4 year old and I got sick with Covid on Friday 10/1. We have no family to help. I tried to use my card that night online to order us food and it was declined. I called customer service and got a message due to high call volume they couldn't take my call. I tried all night long. Nothing. Saturday 10/2 I again tried all day long to get help. My card would not work anywhere I tried. I finally got through to someone in the dispute office on Sunday 10/3. They said I had to be transferred. I sat on hold 6 more hours and nobody ever picked up. The dispute department refused to help me saying they couldn't.

Monday 10/4 at 12 pm, I've been transferred and sitting on hold for 2 hours. I finally got someone in the dispute department. They transferred me to a supervisor who was extremely rude. She said Direct Express blocks cards from being able to be used online due to fraud. They could temporarily allow me to use my card online but it would only be for 3 days, and take 24 hours for the request to be put through. I told her they have put me in an emergency situation, and how important it was for me to be able to use my card now, and I can't go to the atm and go to the store to get supplies. She said "nobody is asking you to go to the atm" and she hung up on me.

I am now sitting on hold to try to get back through to someone to help me. I am out of toilet paper, water, food, cat food, and cannot get medicine for my 4 year old or I. My husband is in critical care in the hospital. I explained this to her also and she just hung up on me. This is unbelievable. I don't know what needs to happen, but you better believe I will be looking into how to file a formal complaint against this company, and changing my direct deposit information today.

Update 10/6 at 1 pm. Finally spoke to someone helpful who said my card was locked due to fraud and she would help unlock it and put in the white lust request which will take another 24-48 hours to be able to get food online. She unlocked my card after verifying declined transactions and put in the request. 7 pm: Card has been locked again for fraud when I tried to take money out of the atm. I give up. 10/27 Card keeps being locked for fraud. They make me verify all the same information over to unlock it. It’s a joke at this point.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

A company took 98.54 off my card ..Direct Express would not stop the company from taking my money from my card after several calls explaining I did not authorize the payment..so if you use this card you better know you aren't protected from companies taking your money...

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Jan 2021 I used my Direct Express Card at a gas station in Victorville Ca. Upon finishing I checked the balance in my account finding there was $583.00 withdrawn from Mission Viejo Ca. on from what it looked like that same day and Mission Viejo is almost 100 miles away with 5:00 pm bumper to bumper traffic almost the whole way which I did not do. I immediately contacted Direct Express and canceled my card and file a grievance. Within 10 days they were suppose to replace my $583.00 by federal guidelines and did not. I spent hours waiting to speak with someone and all they did was not answer the phone or give me another phone number which did nothing but probably start me all over again. It is by no means an exaggeration the hours and days getting the run around by these people at Direct Express.

I finally got fed up and found the mother company "Comerica" and called them back fast and once again started getting the run around by them too (what a surprise). Now being on a supplemental check of $1043.00 a month and gas being $4.50 a gal these fools stealing that $583.00 hurt me bad. Here it is now mid October and all but given up ever seeing that money. They broke their own guidelines, federal guidelines and have been investigated in 2018 by the federal government and found guilty of the same practices and still banking doing the same thing. I just don't get it. I know for fact I'm not the only one these "THIEVES" have stolen from, but if I can warn someone and save them the time and headaches I've endured, it won't be for nothing.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Yet again, Direct Express prevents me from being able to sustain my health. Today I could not buy my hypertension medication. You're not supposed to discontinue blood pressure meds suddenly, but what is my choice? I've had 2 issues with fraud on this involuntary debit card in a year, I'd rather get a check, but that's not an option. During lockdown I had the first fraud issue where Direct Express told me there wasn't any recourse because the fraud originated in the Philippines, I lost 2 months' income. This month it happened again when I made the mistake of using it at the grocery store.

Within a day it was run down to zero with someone else's Google Play purchases. They sent a new card which cost a fee of 12$ because we don't have USPS delivery where I live so they had me pay for UPS to deliver it. The DE website tells you the card is accepted at many locations, they don't tell you it's really not a good idea to use it. My Dr. told me to avoid stress. How is that possible when you have no idea when your monthly income may disappear after precisely following the Direct Express instructions to avoid fraud?

Today I tried to order food in bulk and the card was declined despite having sufficient funds. Their 888 number said they were receiving a large number of calls and hangs up. They take complaints through Facebook only. I deleted my Facebook acct years ago and I'm not going to be forced to use a criminal company to communicate with Direct Express. This is financial abuse intentionally directed at the disabled. This is all about greed killing off the weakest among us. Helping the disabled doesn't make anyone a profit, except for Direct Express. Predatory companies like Direct Express need to be investigated.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

Every time called for 2 weeks the system hung up the call. Can't use card even though activated. The Las replacement card was same exact deal. Have $ in account unable to use card. I'm payee for a relative wha has once again accused me of being at fault. I really don't like DX period.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

DirectExpress Mastercard is fraud! They closed my card by fake fraud activity and refusing to reopen after I send by fax and email many, all picture ID, SS card, Birth certificate...How to get my money back if card be expected on 09/30/21 and they

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Direct Express is a gigantic joke as a financial institution! I had my account hacked. I had to do all the leg work- I contacted the merchants who were listed on the statement. After 10 minutes, the young man at eBay FOUND the person who made the purchases on MY ACCOUNT!! He wrote a letter for me so I could forward it to DIRECT EXPRESS, PROVING THAT I DIDN'T MAKE THE TRANSACTIONS!! I got a police report. I should not have been the one investigating who hacked my account. I was on hold for HOURS at a time! I couldn't get ahold of a live person, ever. I was DENIED THE FRAUD CASE... TWICE!! They were rude and dismissive. I NEVER GOT A DIME BACK FROM DIRECT EXPRESS. TRYING TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF ALL OF THIS WAS A NIGHTMARE!! TOOK MONTHS!! Don't use this bank, they DON'T CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

The worst entity imaginable. It's next to impossible to get them on the phone. You call and you'll get a message that they have high call volumes, to please try later and you get that for weeks at a time. There's no other number to call. I've been stuck because I took an Uber ride somewhere and then I couldn't get a ride back because my card was no longer being accepted even though I just gotten paid. They had a glitch to where they were declining everybody's payments whether they were on the day that everyone got paid a few months ago. I mean people were weren't able to pay their rent. People were at the grocery stores. People were traveling and their cards were locked up and no way to get them on the phone. I hate them. They should be arrested.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I switched from BOA to Direct Express. It was one of the worst experiences of my life!! I thought it would make life easier. But, NO ONE will accept this card when paying bills!! The very first month I tried to use it it was rejected everywhere: car insurance, life insurance, cable/internet, utilities, every single place I tried to make a payment they would not accept this card. It is considered a "pre-paid" debit card and cannot be used to pay bills. I am so glad I did not close down my BOA account because I immediately had to pull the money off of the Direct Express Card and deposit it into my BOA account in order to pay my bills. I had to call Social Security and have them transfer my monthly deposits back to BOA. Please save yourself some time and a major headache and avoid going through what I went through. It was a nightmare!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

I have been trying to talk to someone about a transaction and I’m on my 4th day of calling. I have even called in the middle of the night. They don’t have a waiting for a live person option. I get that the call volume is very high and to call again!

Original review: July 30, 2021

The Direct Express is the most criminal company out there. Scamming and stealing money from the card holders. Direct Express makes 0 attempts in trying to help with any dispute and won't even try to hide the fact that they are just phishing for your information! Direct Express makes it nearly impossible to reach anyone other than customer service. The "supervisor" never calls back nor have I ever actually spoken to said "supervisor". Don't give out any info to the call center and don't send any pictures or info through the email that they provide for you.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Direct Express has the worst reps. Ever and the supervisor Alexia has no clue or care what’s going on! Nothing but trouble since the first day I got this card! I’ve had 2 issues with card, I called company, they put blocks on your card before you even tell them the problem, then they want to reissue a new card for 14$ which I did pay one time because I needed my money, their 2nd mistake, waited a month for a card, this has been 3 weeks now waiting for a new card, because I refused to pay for a 3rd card... yep card is getting thrown away and going back to my bank...

Original review: July 23, 2021

I give Direct Express one star because the fraud department did a poor job investigating fraud to my account in the amount of $750+. I was mailed a questionnaire that I completed along with a police report attached. Within 45 days, I received a letter stating that the transactions were pre authorized, that there was access to my account during dispute period (from me) when that’s impossible because the card was cancelled when the dispute period started along with other false claims listed on the letter I received.

My advice to anyone is to transfer your money to a safe account to avoid having to deal with the fraud department if something were to happen. To make it worse you’ll be on hold for over an hour EVERY SINGLE TIME you try to reach the department. Very frustrating and time consuming! I’m on hold at this very moment about the letter I received today regarding my denial and it’s going on 45 minutes already.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I used the card earlier and it worked but later didn’t and the app bore site worked and I could reach a live agent. It does this at times and hate it. I worry if I have bills it will act up in emergency.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I placed my card in a bank Machine and it shut down on me not dispersing money saying it did. My experience with Direct Express this past week has been positive. They walked me through the steps and The representatives were understanding; polite and extremely helpful. They are on top of issues that arise in such a timely manner.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Customer service and fraud department are nonexistent. Chargebacks for unauthorized charges will be denied without investigation. I've gone through the company and each vendor and cannot get my money returned. I contacted consumer finance bureau and got provisional credit only to have it taken away again. 3000 dollars has been fraudulently taken from me and they do not care.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Updated on 07/162021: I opened a dispute on 6/21, on July 2 a letter was sent out, it was found to be fraud. Directed me to check my balance for the credit of 125.00. Well I been on the phone since Monday 7/12 and it’s Friday 7/16 and I have been on the phone with ten different people at Direct Express, I am still on hold to speak with someone else. However I have been to every department a company could have, I mean I don’t have to be transferred like this with social security. We all know they have lots of departments. ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHERE IS MY MONEY AND WHO TOOK IT TO BEGIN WITH.

I was on a call the night before with a agent from direct express who I am sure working from home and the very next day around 2am I am sleeping someone using my card on Walmart.com 17 transactions, only five went through, total 125. At my expense with my disability, TOUCHING GOVERNMENT FUNDS IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE. I filed charges against direct express as I know I been with them six years and never had this issue but read the stories. What I will say is do not give these people all your personal information because they will use it and take your money and direct express will have you writing the NEXT REVIEW. As of 7/16 10:52am no credit to my account and no one has picked up and told yet when it will be applied.

Original Review: I spoke with one of the reps on June 19th and on June 20th I had over five 25 dollar transactions that was pending. I called. Asked to speak with a supervisor. Haven’t as yet. Only reps that keep transferring me around and when someone answers they hang up. It is July the 9th. I called today for the corporate number and they gave me this number **. They never use their real names and your money is not safe with this company (DIRECT EXPRESS). The sad part is I am disabled and this is my only income, the money that was stolen was for my light bill and these people allowed the transaction to go through and says it takes 90 days to get an answer. Why would social security allow these people to oversee our money.? I will be calling them next and let them know about this. So do not ever give these people your personal information for they are working from home and WILL use your info to take your funds and they are getting away with it.

Original review: July 7, 2021

Called Direct Express from 07/01/21 after 9pm. Stayed on on hold about 40min no answer. Called 7/2/21 multiple time each over 45min no answer. Finally got India 7/4/21 after 2 attempts both over 90 mins. Card was locked due to multiple ATM usage while on vac. They confirmed and unlocked just to lock card again. Called 15 times today 7/6. Heavy call volume and hangup. Rent due 5th. Borrowed due to $55 late fee, other bills due and won't unlock card. Didn't realize they were like this till others told me. Beware.

Direct Express Company Information