Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.07/5

Direct Express Reviews

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

File Complaints with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau at www.consumerfinance.gov and Texas Department of Banking (that oversees Direct Express) www.dob.texas.gov IMMEDIATELY! They work fast. What I'm reading here is scaring me. I too am having troubles transferring funds to my checking account to pay my mortgage. I tried online on 9/2 and it bounced back stating a "new policy" that isn't stated anywhere online, whereby I had to email them a banking statement, government ID. But I had transferred thousands of dollars in August to the same account! I did so and it bounced back again stating the routing number wasn't on the statement. However, my August statement transferred clearly stated my bank's name. After 2 hrs. on hold, she stated that I was transferring too much money when I am trying to transfer 1/3 of what I transferred in August. Something clearly shady going on here. File your complaints to the above agencies!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

On August 30, 2019 I received my normal SSI benefit, when doing so I went to pay some bills as normal. I went to bed and awakened and saw that I could not access my card online, in the store, or atm. So I tried to call Direct Express and received no answer, on top of the fact that allegedly I have no account. (Red Flag), I continued to try and even spoke to SSA but they had the Homeland Security there and we had no access. I received on September 6, 2019 a letter from the Direct Express Fraud Department and called the 888 number that was on the bottom. I called the number, and received no live agent.

I am on the phone now waiting for a answer as we speak. It was a high call volume message and "Thank you for your patience" for about 45 minutes and then silence. I still see the same amount on the card, and I cannot call anyone, speak to anyone, or nothing. I did find out that the people that were there are no longer, so I have to go to the office tomorrow, hopefully I can get some help. I have 2 children, and I can't even send them to school because I don't have the funds to get the items that they need, were in the pantry for the month, and I have to wash all our stuff by hand. If you have this card, just set up for Direct Deposit through your office, because it's too much going on. God bless you all.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

My Direct Express Card is lost. Now I cannot use it to by groceries, medicine, etc. and I have tried calling their number for a week. All the automated system says is, “We are experiencing heavy call volumes, please try your call again later.” I have tried sometimes all night to get through! Nothing! We Americans that paid into Social Security and now can’t access our money or report lost cards.,, We Deserve Better Now!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

On Aug 2nd of 2019 I called Direct Express to check my balance and heard a charge of a li'l over $200. I right away did a dispute with the merchant and with the bank of DE right away. I faxed over papers and they supposedly never received them. I gave it a li'l more than 72 hours to check fax status - again nothing. So they closed my case when all I had to do was refax them the proof. I asked for manager and they said they knew all protocols so they didn't need managers. I've waited over 2 hours to hear them say I couldn't get my money back. I did research on the merchant and nowhere to be found. I believe cyberware has taken over this because it's plain clear on our screens that fraud is being allowed. By Direct express. They are aware of it being fraud but say they can't do anything about it. Who can I speak to?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I noticed today that money is being taken out of my account without my authorization. I've tried to call their "customer service" department numerous times and have never been able to get a human being on the phone. It says there is high call volume at this time and then hangs up on you. Because of this I've decided to have my deposits sent directly to my bank as soon as possible and then close the Direct Express account. I'm also going to my local Social Security office and filing a complaint against this company and their shady practices. They've made their website difficult to navigate and since they've changed the set up there it's slow and often doesn't respond at all. If you are also having problems with Direct Express you may want to set up an alternate bank account for your deposits.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I lost my card and was in panic! I use it to pay rent and other bills. I called and called all day. No human rep to y’all to...just “high call volume call back later.” Finally after googling most of the afternoon I came across a post that said if you push “3” as soon as phone picks up you could get through. So I pushed “3” over and over and a new menu selection came up!!! It asked to select a language so I choose “3” again because I thought what the heck. And next thing you know I was put on hold! But I was excited because they hung up on me all day because of the call volume! So I held for 30 min and finally got through to a man. He didn’t have a very good sense of humor though lol. I exclaimed how excited I was to hear his voice when he picked up.??? Anyhow he took care of everything and expedited my card and it will be here in 2 days! So there are tricks to getting through and I thought this might help someone else.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I have 2 Direct Express cards. On Aug at 12:21 one of my cards was fraudulently used. I have the card in my possession, but someone pulled out $760 and used a ATM that had a $3 surcharge (which I would never use). Left me $9. I called Direct Express at 10. A.M. when I found out what happened. I also called the police and filed a report. By mid Aug I called Direct Express to see where they were with my case, (when I finally got through). Found out that my case was closed, and no fraudulent charges found. They said there was conflicting info from the questioner, police report, and their investigation. I requested a copy of what they used to make this decision.

I have now gotten it in mail. It's only everything I turned in to them (3 copies of the police report, their questioner, and a page that is missing most info, but it looks like my phone interview). I faxed everything, then mailed. Then was told that they needed another copy of the police report to reopen the case. I have called the social security head person in my state (who does not care for Direct Express). Opened a bank account and turned it into social security (who does not like Direct Express, either). They have lost my business. I have told everyone I know to get rid of their Direct Express accounts as soon as possible, cause if their card gets used fraudulently they won't get their money back.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I been calling for weeks now answering y'all ** Phone. ** horrible. Dont answer. My cards been stolen & all my money is getting used. Do y'all ** jobs. Lazy **. Cant eat, pay my rent. Do nothing. This ** just might kill me here. I hate you people. I really do.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I have been trying to reach Direct Express for weeks and get their automated reply heavy call volume which I found out they block your phone number if you call more than twice and you will never get a live agent!!!! They are abusing the disabled. They offer NO live assistance and will block you from calling and reaching anyone! This is abusive and disgusting. They are having very uneducated Mexicans take calls who hardly can understand any English and hang up on people. I am going to my local news. This company is horrific.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

It's been several days and I have still not been able to get in contact with an operator. Direct Express needs to be shut down. They have absolutely no business being a financial institution. If you are a Direct Express customer do yourself a favour. Take your money and get as far away from these frauds as possible.

Direct Express Company Information