2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.42/5

Direct Express is a prepaid card that gives you access to your federal benefits regardless of whether you have a bank account. If you receive federal benefits and want a secure way to store and use your funds, Direct Express’ easy-to-use debit card gives you simple access and is accepted at many locations.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Direct Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I requested a replacement card on 1/21/2021 and was told 5 to 10 CALENDAR days. After 14 days requested another because never received the first one. Was told another would be expedited on 2/3/2021 and was told that it would definitely be here through UPS in two days! 2/5/2021. Called them on 2/5 and was then told it was sent but NOT expedited! Now it is 2/11/2021 and no card has arrived. It is almost impossible to get through to anyone on their phone system. And I have made over 50 calls but only get through 24 or 5 times. And they will not do anything to help. Absolutely refused to transfer any of my money so I can pay my bills! I am changing my bank as soon as I can get access to my money. This is ridiculous! Many times while waiting over 20 or 30 minutes on hold the call would be disconnected. DIRECT EXPRESS is not to be trusted.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I don't understand how this company is able to keep doing these things to people and still allowed to operate!! I mean just read the reviews!! I mean all of these fraud complaints that apparently go on without anyone stopping them??? I mean how? Why? All of that stimulus money being handled by these incompetent foreign people that can't even speak English!! Sure take my money and then when I call to try to dispute this I can't even talk to anybody?? Sign me right up!! Sounds great!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I can only hope that things will get better over there. But after repeated attempts to get in touch with a CSR there, I was disconnected numerous times. I simply needed a replacement card and when I finally got someone on the phone after going through the helpless prompts, they said they didn’t get the email that was sent to them even after 8 hours. I guess I should feel so lucky that it was not months like some folk on there. Something told me to look them up and it brought me here. After reading the horrendous and disheartening stories, I decided to write the Inspector General of SS and tell my and your stories. I would encourage all who have been victimized to take similar action. This is unacceptable for an agency with a government contract to behave this way and must be stopped.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Constant phantom charges, whimsical transaction declines, customer service unavailable for days at a time while you have no access to your money. If you report a false charge they will not register your complaint unless you agree to disable your account for the two weeks they say it takes them to issue you a new card -- "oh, but for a $15 fee you can have it overnight." In the middle of the pandemic. Smells mighty like a scam, or gross mismanagement at best. I am disabled and depend on this card for my Social Security. The US government needs to investigate.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

In the past year my card has been locked not once but 4 times 3 of those times cause I'm terrible with online passwords and during this pandemic it's been hell. I've became homeless cause of it cause I couldn't pay bills like I normally would have. Thankfully I have a place now and different company but they make you jump through all kinds of hoops. They make you send in ID CARD, social security card and birth certificate. They make you include your address, your mother's maiden name and it's whole lot of red tape.

I do suggest going through another company. I now go through Serve. I also get paid early and oh I did have similar issue with serve with locking card due to fact I am terrible at remembering passwords on the online site. Well it 5 minutes to unlock and Direct Express claims it's cause of government that requires them to do what they do. Then why don't other companies do it? Reason I'm writing this is cause I received my stimulus on the direct express. I accidently added a pound symbol after my card number like other companies ask you to and my card got locked again. Well that's the last straw.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

My husband's card expire last Sept.30, 2020. We called Direct Express Sept 23, 2020 to order new one and they my husband they already send the card last August 6, 2020. But until now we didn't receive the card. We are here in the Philippines now.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

Anyone stating that this card is convenient or great to them is over 65 years old for sure. This is the most horrible service I have ever received in my life. A typical card has a hold on a pre-authorization three to four maybe five business days... Direct Express 10-day hold for money that is not going anywhere. It's going to stay in your account but they want to hold it for 10 days just because they can. They hardly ever answer your calls when they do some times more often than none they hang up or put you back in queue. They never have a proper response for anything, everything. Seems like they just started working there yesterday and they just don't know. Hear me when I tell you open yourself a bank account and save your sanity because these people will drive you insane.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

If I could rate a zero I would! Who ever decided in the US Government that Direct Express would be the company to choose in handling our Social Security payments should be fired. There must be a kick back somewhere along the line. Normally each month, our funds are loaded onto our card. We would go to the grocery store, withdraw the funds from our card and do our monthly shopping, and run around town to pay our bills. But it has never been a card to use for paying bills online, etc, because of its restrictions. They tell you that some stores or creditors will accept payment from it, but we have yet to find one that would. So we managed to make it work, until the card no longer worked.

Let me explain. Our issues with this card stated when the magnetic strip and chip stopped working on our card when we went to withdraw money off the card. Funds where there, but card would not work. So we called customer service. Waited nearly 2 hours on the phone for them to tell us nothing was wrong with our account. Well, we knew that already. It was the card that was the problem. But the operator we spoke to, was not authorized to order us a new card. Which by the way you have to pay a fee for if you need to replace your card more than once a year. Card failure or not! So she transferred us to another department.

After waiting an additional 30 minutes, a recording came on and said due to high volume, there would be a long wait. But we didn't get a chance to wait, even though by then we were reaching a 3 hour wait time. They just disconnected the call. So again, we were unable to resolve the issue to access our funds. So we tried to resolve the problem online. It has been nothing but a nightmare trying to transfer funds within a timely manner even after being charged $1.50 per transfer. The average 1-3 days to transfer as they state, excluding weekends has not happened. With no notification, transfer did not go though. So we requested a transfer. We are still waiting once again for the transfer to go though. Attempted 4 times to reach a live operator to confirm the transfer would go though this time but again, there is yet another wait on the phone, and then after a period of time, your call is disconnected. We have still not been able to access our monthly funds.

The card, also is problematic to use in paying bills online or purchasing anything. Try ordering something on Amazon with it. No can do! We needed to pay car payment and other bills with the funds on the card. Since we couldn't get money off the card because of the chip malfunction, we tried to pay our bills on line. Again, that wasn't happening. Why the card is not set up like a normal debit card is beyond me. If the funds are there, you shouldn't have to jump though hoops to access your own money. Still waiting for our transfer, we finally have decided it is easier just to have our social security check directly deposited into the bank than to deal with this card. Do not use this card to receive your money if you can have a bank account. Seriously. It is not worth the hassle. Their customer service really sucks, if you are lucky enough to get someone to actually take your call.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I kept noticing money being WITHDRAW from my Direct Express card so I call direct express to do a dispute because they said it was a company online they said I paid to verify a number??? I have zero clue on what they were talking about so I did a dispute and they put the 70 bucks back on my card and tonight on Christmas evening they take that 70 dollars saying after investigating they said there wasn't enough information for them so they took 70 bucks and I said, "I filled out everything what more information do you need?" They said it don't matter because it's been closed. So basically calling me a liar and on Christmas day no less.

I'm on disability like I can afford 70 bucks on Christmas day to be taken out of my account for something I never did in the first place! I'm switching to Green Dot because I heard they were a better company anyways! So get DIRECT express if you want to get screwed over!!!! This is ridiculous! That 70 bucks was going to pay part of my heating bill! So thank you so much direct express for doing this to me on Christmas day. You're heartless!!! I would give you zero stars if it was an option!!!! Lynette **

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I have had my Social Security payment go on this card for years. My only complaint was getting ahold of customer service was a nightmare. Until two months ago someone took my card and made three withdrawals. I called it in after I saw the withdrawals that weren’t mine. They gave a provisional credit. Then this month they took it back. After a hour waiting to speak to someone, they said they would send a email with the reason. That was two weeks ago and still nothing! I didn’t do the transactions so what could be the reason? So now I have no monies for the month and it’s Christmas. What is wrong with this company? I would like to start a petition of all of the people that have had problems with Direct Express and see if Social Security would get a new debit card service!!!!

Direct Express Company Information