2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Direct Express is a prepaid card that gives you access to your federal benefits regardless of whether you have a bank account. If you receive federal benefits and want a secure way to store and use your funds, Direct Express’ easy-to-use debit card gives you simple access and is accepted at many locations.

Direct Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I'm a veteran living in the Philippines, Direct Express told me that the international option would remain on my card for a year; yet, every few months or so, I must spend $20-40 USD to call their call center and get the international option activated on my account. According to one of their call center agents, the company has known of the server issue for years and refuses to fix it, leaving thousands of Americans stranded in foreign countries with no access to their money. I believe this contract between Comerica Bank and the US Government needs to be under investigation and I'm confident that we'll discover lobbyist have ensured the contract goes to a company that doesn't have the technology and technological know-how to provide the government contract requirements. Definition of Fraud: wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I spent four plus hours on hold after reaching one person then being redirected to the "fraud" department where I was left so long it just dropped my call. For whatever reason, this company fails in almost every area of customer service and professionalism. I actually believe they chose their MOH (music on hold) to annoy people and drive them away if left too long. I just cannot say how low a rating I would give since a single star is the lowest option, but if a negative number could have been used, I WOULD HAVE USED IT.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I’ve contacted various federal agencies & reported these scam artists that prey on the disabled, elderly & deceased. They won’t release my deceased wife’s funds to me. I would have to hire an attorney & it just isn’t worth. It’s quite a scam you all have going on, keeping a deceased person SS- disability. I’m a minister & these people definitely aren’t Godly people. Do not use Direct Express. They will keep your spouses' money when they pass away.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I am a disabled adult who gets her social security disability through this card monthly. They put out a fake "fraud alert" on my card which gave the ATM the authority to seize it when I went to make a withdrawal. I immediately called customer service and could not get ahold of anyone. 2 days later, I was able to speak with someone who said I would have to pay for a new card! The card us supposed to arrive in 7 -10 days and I am going on 14 days with no card and good luck trying to get ahold of someone. They could care less if you have bills to pay or children. I have no money or food! I would like to start a class action lawsuit and will be reading up on it.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I held on the line 30 minutes after the terrible loop of prompts. An agent answered the call totally disrespectful. The agent was abrasive, rude and nasty. Did not use active listening and disconnected.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Exasperating. All I get is no satisfaction with these people. They are incompetent, sassy, aggravating to the limit. Just wasting my time on the phone trying to reason with them. Their email address is always full so you can't make any contact with them. Sorry lot of people.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I don’t recommend this card. I recently couldn’t access my card. When I tried to call customer service who says they are 24/7 I was on hold for over 8 hours. Good thing I have speaker phone. They reduced my card because I was switching my accounts over to my bank account. They must not of liked that. They were trying to steal my money.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I hate it. I can never talk to a person and you be on hold forever. I was on hold for over 5 hours so I just hung up. Pissed. I was trying to pay my rent and buy Christmas gifts and it I had fraud issues. Why not contact me and ask question and I will give you the info you need. Now I am late with my rent. Are they going to help pay the late fees? Hell no.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

I am going to keep this short. I can NOT recommend getting your SS benefits on the Direct Express debit card. Every week there is some new issue that has keep me from accessing the funds on the card. Can't log into the account, can't transfer money to my bank account, card doesn't work at a merchant... Calling them does no good whatsoever. Totally worthless. I've only had the card for four months since I retired but have decided to cancel this card. Worst mistake I have made in my retirement by far. Wasn't expecting this hassle. They're fired!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I was trying to use my card at the store. It said declined so I was embarrassed needless to say. I call them. They said that my card was no longer any good. That another one had been issued and also my address and all my information had been changed by someone and Direct Express allowed them to wipe my money. Completely gone!!! As I was asking them why they didn't do a thorough check of identify the info before they changed everything for the thief They started saying to me they need to verify this and that before they could help me because I called them out for not doing their job to start with. Well when they transferred me I was hung up on. Said they are receiving a high volume of calls and to call back and so I did that 5 times the same day. The next day same thing twice and to today I have not been able to talk to no one about my account but they let the thief change all my info and now I still have no money.

My account info has been changed and Direct Express is at fault. I need help to get this resolved. I have a new bank now. I want my money back. $783.00. My SSI check for the month of September 20 and also they charged me for having another card sent out. This is wrong!!!! I am reporting them to the Federal Government and they work for them. That is sad they don't protect their customers' accounts. They are crooks themselves. They need to be investigated. I am also reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. Today is the 10th and I still have not got my money from the 1st. Please someone help me from Direct Express. If you see this please contact me at my email address or phone number. I need to get this resolved. This is y'all fault because poor security and poor employees not doing their jobs. I hope all of our conversations we had on the phone were recorded. I am leaving my info in private.

Direct Express Company Information