2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.03/5

Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Direct Express Reviews

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

* No way to file disputes. * Customer Service non-existent. * Too many Fees. * Surcharges. They should not be in business-avoid like the plague! It is impossible to reach anyone, the fees are high, they won't even provide their routing number so you can change your Direct deposit, I got it because I know people in the business.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

BEWARE -Internal fraud ring. I called In regarding a claim. Was transferred to 3 different agents. All Mexicans Who had arrogant and rude tones. Direct Express is abusing customers by knowingly denying claims and missing funds because the fraud is internal. They have hired a 3rd world country to facilitate the dispute process, these agents are very rude and abusive. I was hung up on twice by very rude agents. Another women in claims Mexican lady named Isabelle was condescending and gas lighting me about a claim. She thought she had put the call on mute but I hear her telling the lady sitting next to her “whatever you do deny their claims just make something up.” This is abuse and disturbing behavior on the disabled. I believe it will be exposed soon. All my funds stolen and I was left with no food. These people are scum and they know it and have a hostile attitude towards Americans.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Got frauded, caught it and stopped my card, got a new card and all my Christmas money got stolen off it! How?? And they are denying me my money back, gave me the company that frauded me phone number to call myself, it was a cellphone!! No company. It’s fraud and you are not giving me my money back still?? Sooo wrong and bad, I have to file a police report and not stopping with this! It's sooo wrong!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

My card was recently hacked. Someone charged $1100 in children's clothing. This money is meant for my monthly survival. Trying to get a person on the line is impossible. What a disgrace for a senior citizen to be subjected to. I was the reason I got my money back from a vendor in Australia. I had to call. Before this mess I questioned another disputed charge. They found no issue. I got a paper statement and found a $90.00 charge on the first page. The government is ultimately responsible for this outrage. KW. What happens next time and my money isn't returned as easily?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

First off I only get $514 a month disability and Direct Express has the worst Customer Service anyone could imagine! I went to a cash machine in October and wanted to withdraw $360 but the bank wanted a service fee of $4.00 so I cancelled the transaction without getting the cash out of the machine. Well Direct Express thinks I got the money and they took it out of my account the first of November and I had to get a title loan just to pay my rent. These jerks have been checking on this DISPUTE I filed for weeks! I mean can't they just call U.S. Bank here in Spokane, WA and get proof I never got the cash out? Both times when I called these idiots I was on hold 1 hour and 20 minutes. I AM SO POOR AND I NEED MY MONEY BACK PLEASE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

They always say they have high call volumes. I call at 3 in the morning and it still says that. I believe they do not have the communication system they should, after all they are handling USA citizens money. They need live online support. The government needs to to check into the services they are paying because they are getting a shabby job.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Someone stolen my card information and it was used 3000 miles away! I have spent 3 days trying to resolve this issue only to be yelled at and hung up on by Direct Express. I was told it would take up to 6 months to fix the issue and then told I was the one that used the card. Funny I am in North Carolina, not California. The business where my card was used has verified that it was part of a fraud ring that they are currently investigating. And Direct Express refuses to listen to any thing I or the entity states happened. My local police department is filing a report as well as Sacramento PD, yet Direct Express doesn't seem to care. I have spent almost 10 hours on hold only to be berated and called a liar and that it will be 6 months before anything is done. What poor business practices.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

It has now been a month since my card was hacked. On 11/2/19 I was awaken to several notifications. The alert was that there was insufficient funds. I just received my monthly payment on the first. I had no idea what was going on. I called the Direct Express company. They informed me there was a transfer from my card to a Go Bank. I don't know what or where this go bank is. First I had ever herd of it. They proceed to tell me that the hacker had set up an account in my name and made the transfer. I did as instructed and requested a dispute form. I filled it out and returned it to them. This was all done with in a few days. I kept calling to see what the progress was. I was informed by two employees that the funds were to be credited when investors were done. They have a ten day period for this to take place. On the tenth day I was told that all was good for credit. It would take 24 hours for it to be placed in my account.

I called again and on the 23rd hour was told that the investigation was completed. They said there was nothing wrong and I was denied the funds. I was told as well that a letter explaining all would be sent. I still don't have my money or anything from them. I requested all transactions and all calls as well as their letter. Still nothing. This card company!!!!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

*** BEWARE, this one is a LONG one so DON'T start reading unless you have a few minutes because I can't take it anymore and I'm GOING OFF!!! ***??? These damn DIRECT EXPRESS people which is the company who hold the cards that social security benefits get deposited onto ARE A DAMN JOKE!!!!! After having all this identity theft happen to me with their card, I've been doing a lot of research and the amount of people this happens to with their card info and benefit balances being drained and the fact that it seems 99% of the victims don't ever get their money back or if they do get granted a provisional credit, it is later determined by their so called "investigations dept" that it in fact wasn't fraud.

So they take the money given on provisional credit BACK, putting people on social security in yet another hell storm because now another month of benefits are gone, even tho like with my case, it is physically and logically IMPOSSIBLE that I or they made the fraudulent charges. (NO ** WAY IS IT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE I could be IN LINCOLN NE AND make an IN STORE purchase and then an hour later be in HOUSTON TEXAS and make an IN STORE PURCHASE.) How the hell does the Dept of Treasury and the Social Security Administration keep allowing this company to do their business?! This is the biggest bunch of ** I've ever encountered! I am almost certain this has got to be an inside job!

Now, for the 4th day in a row I have been on hold with these people making sure they received my dispute paperwork, that they only gave me 4 DAMN BUSINESS DAYS to return because it took so long for them to get them to me & the date you have to turn it in by to be considered for provisional credit, isn't determined by the date you received the paperwork from them, but by the day you MAKE THE DAMN CLAIM!!! (Let's not get into the fact that I caught the charges before the transactions even cleared and called as they were still PENDING and was informed they could not cancel the transaction and couldn't even file a dispute until it cleared!) EVERYTHING in their "rules" is stacked against the people receiving social security!

I faxed these dispute forms and physically took them to the post office on Monday to ENSURE they got there and now after being on hold for another 3 hours (since all this happened on Nov. 1st a total of 13+ hours of my time has been spent on hold with these **). I am told that they STILL have not received my dispute paperwork and due to the fact that they needed it by the 22nd. (I didn't receive them until Sat the 16th and we all know there is no mail on Sundays.) I won't be eligible to get the provisional credit! I still may get reimbursed if investigations deem I didn't make these charges, but it could take about 6 MONTHS!!!! ARE YOU ** KIDDING ME??!!!! I told her "oh hell no, this is absolutely unacceptable" and no way I'm waiting that long to be reimbursed for something that their company should have been able to stop and red flag in the first place!

I now am placed on a further hold after arguing with her for 30 mins because I demanded to speak to a Supervisor and she tried to tell me their supervisors don't speak to customers! MY **! GET ME SOMEBODY NOW! My entire life has been flipped upside down because of disgusting ** thieves and this company's inability to protect their customers. I will be damned! I see why a lot of people just give up, all the hell they give people and hoops they try to make them jump through just to get back what's rightfully theirs, but I am not one of those people! I don't know how all of this is going to turn out, but like with everything else in my life, you can be sure that I am not going down without fighting for my life! Suppose on Monday I need to find someone else to get ahold off...Dept of Treasury and Social Security???? Our Idiot President? Hell Idk but I'm gonna figure this out!!! *** end rant!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I had money take from my account I immediately called. They tried to talk me out of my complaint saying my math was wrong. They were supposed to send paperwork to show what transactions were fraud and they sent nothing. Then in September the same thing. This time for Lyft charges in San Fran and I live in Vermont. I filed the paperwork, wrote them a letter. They send me a response saying my information did not match up and that I could contact them to get all paperwork used in making the decision. They act as they had none til I asked for a supervisor. The same person returned to the phone saying it would be sent. I looked it up online and it was crazy thousands of complaints obviously highly Direct Express as a fraudulent company. They told me to go to the police but would not provide a number where the police would call without a credit card.

I wanted all information released including the IP address at which the charges came from but they said they had to protect the information even though it was my information. If you search nj.com baboozled by Direct Express you see an article about a woman defrauded by DE. My letter was word for word the same. These people have all our information and our money and they go on with their lives. It's time to band together and form a class action suit. I think it's only for the people in charge be held accountable and not hide behind a fraudulent corporation stealing from vets the disabled and the tax payers of America. Please send a letter discussing your fraud case to: **.

Direct Express Company Information