Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Direct Express

Direct Express is a prepaid card that gives you access to your federal benefits regardless of whether you have a bank account. If you receive federal benefits and want a secure way to store and use your funds, Direct Express’ easy-to-use debit card gives you simple access and is accepted at many locations.

Pros

• All funds are FDIC-insured
  • No bank account necessary
  • Works where Mastercard is accepted

Cons

• No lines of credit or loans available

Bottom Line

Direct Express gives federal benefits recipients an easy way to access funds without needing a bank account. The majority of federal funds are eligible for use with Direct Express, and its application process is simple and free.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Direct Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: July 13, 2021

I placed my card in a bank Machine and it shut down on me not dispersing money saying it did. My experience with Direct Express this past week has been positive. They walked me through the steps and The representatives were understanding; polite and extremely helpful. They are on top of issues that arise in such a timely manner.

Original review: May 3, 2021

My account was hacked and $1003 was fraudulently withdrew. I filed a Dispute, sent all the proper paperwork (police report, their questionnaire, etc.) within the 10 days they required, but DirectExpress DENIED it. They said the Dallas address was mine and I couldn't prove otherwise. I've been with DirectExpress since 09, at this address I live now for over 6 years. New cards kept coming (3 in all) and then being canceled, hell 2 arrived already canceled. All the time DirectExpress was charging my account into the negative numbers.

Now you would think after sending me at least 3 cards at my proper address they would get the hint where I live, but DirectExpress kept saying the address they have on file is the Dallas one. I finally found an Agent that was smart enough to lock down my account, so now I had to prove with SSI Office who I am in order to unlock my account. Thank goodness I got with an Agent at the SSI office that was smart enough to get this nightmare figured out.

I now am waiting on my new card (different address) and hopefully it's going to work out. I am most definitely getting the hell out of dodge when I finally get my SSDI money. I don't recommend DirectExpress for the way they handled my situation. A real human is almost impossible to reach and when you do, they won't know what the other end is doing. This is my story...

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I am so disappointed with you, Consumer Affairs and so frustrated with Direct Express! I submitted a review on 12/28/20. To date I have not heard a peep out of either one of you! You have TOTALLY destroyed my faith in believing that what you proclaim to represent is just a complete farce! I am a disabled senior citizen. I have received ZERO $ for 5 months now due to Direct Express's ineptness. And you have shown me that you have no ethics nor compassion! I intend to contact the media if I have not heard from you by Monday, 1/18. This is ample time for you to respond. I have pen in hand, so to speak, in regards to contacting the media! I am so VERY disappointed in your complete lack of professionalism and empathy!!!

Vaive

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I see all the negative reviews but my experience was actually good. My card showed a charge I didn’t do of .60. They immediately locked my card while they said transactions continued to try to go through from GERMANY! I’m glad they noticed it immediately and locked my card. I called, verified my card, and they canceled it and sent out a new one out for free and gave me free express shipping. Had they not noticed my card was compromised I would’ve had to wait a lot longer and possibly lost money. I did however have to wait 3 hours on hold to talk to them which is why I took a star off.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I have used this card for over 5 years. I have found it to be one of the most reliable cards to use and with no fees to draw money out or to use the card. As long as you use accepting Bank that is conjoined with Direct Express. Which is the US Bank. Very quick and friendly service when using customer representative.

Original review: June 28, 2021

Got thru to a customer service rep after 15 calls ACCIDENTALLY! She hung up on me!!!! And before hanging up she COULD NOT TELL ME HOW TO SPEAK TO LIVE REP. NO OPTION FOR A MENU!!! 6/28/21 HOW RUDE! REFUSED ME A SUPERVISOR!!!!

Original review: June 4, 2021

My Direct Express Card had a deposit made available on June 3rd. Today while making my reservations for my vacation my card was declined. The money is on the card when I check my balance. I stopped and put gas in my car and bought my groceries no problems but trying to pay for my hotel my card says declined. I have been calling Direct Express for the last 9 hours. I continuously get the phone hung up on me. You can never get anybody live to talk to. Maybe it's time I go with somebody else. This is very sorry. It is also very embarrassing when you are stuck out of town and cannot pay for your hotel.

Original review: June 3, 2021

Trying to get a human being to talk to is almost impossible. It’s a joke. Typical Government service. I’ve tried sending money through PayPal to my roommate and it’s been denied 2 months in a row and trying to get a human is like pulling out a tooth.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I have money missing off my card every month from Direct Express. You have to wait forever to even get someone to answer the phone then you got to give your information, tell them the problem just so they can redirect you and then you got to give your information all over again. And this goes on on and on till they hang up on you. Well this month I got over 800.00 missing. And every time I tell them that I get hung up on. I think they're stealing money from people accounts. And THAT'S THE TRUTH.

Original review: May 5, 2021

This is ridiculous. I have had a cash purchase pending now for 6 days and the company I authorized the money to keeps getting declined for the payment that clearly shows in my account. I have medical necessities in these purchases that I need and are currently held up, I have tried contacting customer service many times a day to find out what is going on with this yet I keep getting a recording due to heavy call volume. Call back at a later time. You'd think that this being a government payment service that it would be priority to get people their payments since we rely on our benefits to pay our bills.

Original review: May 1, 2021

This is the worst debit card that I have ever had. It is extremely difficult to resolve disputes and hard to reach a customer service representative. As soon as my account has a zero balance I am closing this account.

Original review: April 8, 2021

They keep declining transactions. This company was sup to give me a small level of independence, and normalcy that being chronically ill, I haven't ever had. Instead my anxiety level has reached epic proportions. How am I sup to take care of myself when you won't let me use my own money? I can't go out very often because I have a weak immune system, so I order online. I have spent 2 and a half hours on the phone, spoken to 4 different people, and every single person I speak to, gives me a different excuse.

I've spent an entire week trying to pay a Patreon (that was fine in Feb), a vinyl company, ShopGoodWill, and Fat Quarter Shop. I've used this card to pay Patreon, Fat Quarter, and Shopgoodwill, in the past with no issues. The companies themselves have no issues. I can pay Amazon just fine. This company once left me stranded at an airport because I couldn't take money out of an ATM to pay for a taxi, and I couldn't use the taxi's pay either. Thought that was just a fluke. Nope, so far I've been told, "We're having issues with online thieves" by Tamisha on April 3rd, then I got told they saw the declines today by Chris, who transferred me to Destiny.

Destiny couldn't find ANY requests and declines but told me to stop trying for a few days because that's probably why it's declining. Then to call back in a couple of days if there is still an issue. Nope, you've already made me feel like people with disabilities shouldn't use your service. Now I'm emptying the account every month and paying for everything through a relative's bank account. Thanks so much for making my life more stressful and harder. Congrats. You must be so proud of yourselves.

Original review: April 1, 2021

This company is Horrible!! There is ZERO customer service.... I had a charge on my card that I had to dispute, I finally got someone and they wouldn't do anything until the charge wasn't "pending", by that time there were 2 more charges. I told them to cancel the card and send a new one... It took 2 weeks to get the card and they NEVER refunded the stolen money. They said the dispute was denied and gave no evidence. They suck!!!

Original review: March 28, 2021

They place restrictions on online purchases even when you have more than enough funds in your account. Worst excuse for a debit card I have ever seen. Eight declined transactions in the last 3 days. Do yourself a favor and avoid this poor excuse for a debit card.

Original review: March 9, 2021

This is the worst company ever. Zero is my rating. I can't understand how the government continues to contract with these people. The complaints and even lawsuits seem to be too many to count. Wish I would have seen all that before getting this card. I was hacked by someone in the UK just as many others were based off the complaints. No kind of security measures were enacted to prevent the numerous back to back international purchases. Customer service doesn't exist with them when it comes to resolving real issues.

Direct Express Company Information