2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

Direct Express is a prepaid card that gives you access to your federal benefits regardless of whether you have a bank account. If you receive federal benefits and want a secure way to store and use your funds, Direct Express’ easy-to-use debit card gives you simple access and is accepted at many locations.

Direct Express Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Express?

Original review: July 26, 2020

I have had mine since they came out and have made many, many purchases with it. Online or in-store - ATM or cashier - no matter what I have no problems with them. Money that is supposed to be refunded to me gets refunded and customer service is very respectful and professional to me when I have a problem. I cannot fathom why others have had so many problems with their service. This card works exactly as advertised for the purpose it was designed for.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I got online one day to check on a item I had purchased and found 6 pending purchases that I had not made. I got on the phone to Direct Express and spoke to one of their employees about it, I was sure that was the last I had seen of that money. I spoke to a young man named Kris and answered a few questions and he said to keep an eye on my account and let them know when the purchases went thru. He said it sometimes took up to 30 days to recover a unauthorized purchase. At that point I wasn't very hopeful. By the time I realized it had gone thru 2 of the 6 purchases were refunded to my account and within a week the other 4 showed up refunded. I will be much more careful giving any information online that's for sure but they were Great!!

Original review: June 11, 2020

I was recently robbed twice for the same $9543.02. (This was all the money to my name which I had been saving for years so I could finally get my own place.) The first theft was by a repeat offender just out of prison who lives down the street. He stole my card along with mail and other financial documents from my house. He then went through almost ten grand in forty-eight hours at a casino a hundred miles from me. (Yep, he was able to get it out of my debit card account with no issues.) When I found out and alerted Comerica Bank’s Direct Express of the theft, (immediately after I called local police) it sounded like I would be reimbursed the money under Regulation E. This is a set of federal rules that establishes rights, liabilities, and responsibilities in electronic fund transfers.

However, on the tenth business day after the card was stolen, (which is the exact day they have to credit an account if they are not done investigating) Direct Express tells me that the claim is being denied, in effect, stealing the money from me a second time. The “level-two financial specialist” informs me of this fact after I call and wait on hold for over three and a half hours. Then, when I ask her why, she says she does not have access to the dispute file and can tell me no reason for the denial.

I then ask the following questions: Have they spoken with the local detective or received the police report? She does not know, but likely not as they do their own investigating. What information was used to make this decision so quickly then? She does not know but says they do “really good investigations.” I finally ask, “Is there anyone else I can speak with regarding this matter? Can I talk to the investigator that denied it?” She claims there is one else to speak with and investigators will only communicate via regular mail. (Isn’t that convenient?) She adds that she will email that department to have the reason for the denial mailed to me. This will take about three weeks. She finishes by letting me know that it does not really matter as there is no appeal process. Therefore, I am out the money. That’s just the way it is.

I have contacted various agencies in an ongoing attempt to resolve this matter including: Consumer Finance Protection Bureau and Comerica Bank Quality Processes (aka - Complaint Department). So far, nothing has changed and it does indeed appear I am out the money. Hopefully, this is not over. (Although, I admit it does not look promising!) Do not think this can’t happen to you.

If you are tempted to read into this that there must have been some obvious negligence on my side or maybe that I was involved in fraud myself and so that's why they denied it, please know this: Nothing could be further from the truth which can be seen clearly if one looks at the police report. I am happy to provide it to anyone that can actually help with this situation. However, no hard feelings. I will admit to feeling the same way when I first read other peoples stories about this bank while awaiting the money that they ended up stealing from me. To be continued…hopefully. K.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Rcv'd 2 cards for grandsons' VA/SSDI benefits. Outrageous experience trying to activate them! It took 3 days to get ONE activated. Now the other one WILL NOT activate. Sat on hold for 25 minutes. Told my saga. Got put on hold. Then transferred to a supervisor who literally told me "It can only be 2 things. You locked your acct or I will transfer you to Activation." LMAO!!! Activation transferred me to YOU. I asked him what he does. He said "I am a supervisor." Asked him: What do you do as a supervisor? Tell people 'It can only be 2 things, and transfer people back to Activation? THAT is what you get paid for? He said, "I supervise." Bahahahahahaaaaa. I want his job!! I wish I could attach a pic of ALL the emails/codes sent in the last 3 days that do NOT work. PIA trying to create an account, activate cards and now I can't even sign in. Don't bother with this card. You will be aggravated!

Original review: June 4, 2020

I have had my Direct Express debit card for over 10 yrs and have had a fair and tolerable responses from their Customer Service department. Until 2019 when I tried to transfer $100.00 to my checking account the war of them against me began. Lies: In using their website to transfer a little of money 4 times, to my checking account, I was told that they no longer had the ability to do money transfers. (Not True) Multiple calls to their Customer Service line, including getting cut off, being on hold for over an hour, telling me that there is an extensive amount of paperwork to transfer money out and they didn't have time to deal with it and when I ask to speak with a manager, no results, ask to speak to the manager's supervisor, I ended up with the first person that answered the phone.

Quite a runaround I got from them thinking I wouldn't or couldn't recognize the voice or slang that she had and when I challenged them that she wasn't a supervisor, they hung up on me. My solution and advice to all who have run into this Comerica Bank/Direct Express similar issues and my 7 month stress and issues was to go to a bank or financial institution that can provide you with a credit/debit card similar to what we had and then go to your local Social Security office and in 20 minutes, I had moved my Social Security monthly payment to them.

Once that was completed, I slowly and meticulously drew all of my remaining money from my Direct Express and deposited to my new account or cashed it out until my Direct Express account was zero. My ongoing SS is being deposited monthly to my other location and used without a flaw. Oh by the way, In trying to cancel my debit Direct Express card, I am facing the same and similar issues but I have all my money out of Comerica/Direct Express and they will not ever get my business again.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Have been calling Direct Express for 2 days. Talked to 2 supervisors and 1 manager trying to get money put back on card that they told me would be there 2 days ago. Talked to manager about it 4 hours ago she said she would get it taken care of and call me back. Nothing was taken care of and she never called me back. I have never seen anything like this. I had a problem with an Amazon transaction once and Amazon took care of it in 25 min. Have made a total of 8 phone calls in the last 2 days sometimes holding for up to an hour and nothing gets done. If or when they get my problem straightened out I will be changing to a local bank. No more of this telephone crap.

Original review: May 18, 2020

The worst bank card you can ever have. Get rid of it. I am going to. It sucks. You'll never speak with someone. Sad what this world is coming to. These people dont give a flying. You know what. I been waiting to speak with someone over hour. Nowhere.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I just used my card on 5/11/20 no problem. I just received my stimulus payment on my card now the card will not work for online orders or withdrawals. I tried to call the 24/7 customer service and after entering my card number get hung up on not once but every time I call how am I to get to the bottom of this problem, crazy thing.

Original review: April 27, 2020

Direct Express is horrible. Forget contacting customer service because you cannot get through. Doesn't matter what time of day or night you call. I've been trying to call to get my account info to verify with IRS the account on file is the same. I've been trying to call for hours now and nothing. People with disabilities deserve better!

Original review: April 21, 2020

Waiting for 3 weeks for new card to replace expired one. Called several times and been lied to a couple of times. Couldn't mail card due to "improper address' yet still get monthly statements. Also told even though expiration date was end of March card was still good thru April. It's not.

Direct Express Company Information