Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Gift Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Gift Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: July 4, 2020

I purchased a $300 Amex gift card from THEIR website (not a 3rd party). I had it shipped to ME. I received the card. I went to use it about a month later. Doesn’t work. I tried to check balance online. Didn’t work. I called-they said “someone named Krista called last week and said their card was stolen.” I said how is that possible when I PURCHASED THE CARD and I still have the physical card in my possession. They asked that I send in a copy of my gift card, photo ID and receipt of purchase. I sent ALL the information requested and they said it would take 3 days. It has been over 2 weeks-the aknowledge they have received all of my information and requested documents and all they can say is “we are so sorry but because a replacement was sent out to Krista we cannot send you one.” So even though the card is mine and paid for by me, They never requested a copy of the card from her or her receipt but they sent a thief my $300 gift card.

Original review: June 26, 2020

We used to buy gift cards for our employees. Cards go "inactive" way before expiration date. It is a MESS to get them reissued. We had a few reissued and the new cards went inactive within a short period. Called again -- after holding and being transferred to someone who could help, was disconnected. Had to start from the beginning...again. Embarrassing to distribute cards that are inactive when we just received them. Will NEVER EVER buy them again.

Original review: June 12, 2020

I received a $200 prepaid gift card from work for 'AMEX Rewards'. I tried to load it into Amazon for the full balance and it was denied. I tried a 1 more time and again it was declined. The information input to create the pending 10 cent transactions obviously mean everything matched. I check the AMEX rewards gift card balance and it was automatically deducting it from my balance despite it being pending. I tried a third time for a balance of $199.70 accounting for the fact that this was my third attempt (10 cents) minus 20 cents for the other pending transactions. It finally went through and not denied.

If you read their conditions, they also state that unused balances really will expire or incur monthly fees on the balance. This is a consumer scam and should not be tolerated. When you think about the scale of varying balances from 10 cents or even 50 cents; that adds up to major 'savings' and profiting off consumers who can't use the full amount from the start. I am going to be reporting this to the TXAG, FTC, and any other applicable agency I can start an investigation on.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I received an American Express gift card as part of a rebate on a purchased product. When I attempted to use the gift card for an online purchase, which was for the value of the gift card, the transaction was refused. I attempted two more times and was refused each time. My call to American Express Customer Service was terrible due to the spotty and noisy line. I could barely understand the customer rep, but what I could piece together was that a 10¢ transaction fee is assessed for an online purchase. However, I was assured that after the transaction cleared, the 10¢ would be credited back to the card. Since I tried to use the balance on the card, and the 10¢ fee the card was added to amount of the purchase, the card was declined, thereby creating another 10¢ fee for each time the card was declined.

So I asked the customer service rep what amount I could use to complete the transaction without incurring additional fees. I was given an amount -30¢ of the value of the gift card. When I attempted to make a purchase for that amount, the transaction was declined again, thereby subtracting whatever is the balance of this card by another 10¢.

It is my opinion then that American Express should be criticized for their deceptive fees and poor disclosure of those fees to the consumers and companies that use these cards for promotions. I have a bad opinion now of the company that offered the gift card as a promotion, and a terrible opinion of American Express as a company that harbors dishonest business practices for profit. Over a 30¢, 40¢ hidden fees, (or whatever it's going end up), I'll never consider purchasing a service or product from American Express. And if I encounter a company promoting American Express gift cards in a sales promotion again, I will pass my business on to different company.

Original review: May 19, 2020

My name is Giorgio **. I live in Fairfield CT and work in Manhattan. My complaint is most people are unaware of using gift cards. Most importantly, they are just like cash. If you use it to purchase something online and get hacked, nobody can help. Amex or their third-party firm says sorry. A few months ago, I received a gift card from a company. I started to use it to purchase some items on Amazon and local stores around town. Yesterday I wanted to buy another item on Amazon and realized I no longer have a balance. I logged on to Amex Gift Card balance and somebody used the card to purchase computer equipment in the UK. I WAS FURIOUS. I called the number on the back of the card. Waited 1.5 hours before I was able to speak with a representative.

I told her my story and said to me that there is nothing they can do to refund my money. She said I would have to call the retail company. She eventually provided me with a name, address but no phone number. I googled the name while still on the phone with her. I told her nothing came up. She then said that I would have to go to the retail store. I told her I live in Connecticut/USA and the store was in the UK ... No help from them or Amex ... I’m out all the money. It doesn’t seem right at all. I'm sure im not the only one experiencing this fraud. These companies mislead people with zero help. Beware!!!

Thanks,

Giorgio **

Original review: May 17, 2020

Attempted to order a gift card delivered to my daughter in CO. Everything was fine until checkout. They would not take my billing information because I could not enter my state (Hawaii). The list of states went from Georgia to Idaho. They blamed it on my browser which seems stupid. The list is wrong. I am an AMEX cardholder since 77, I have previously ordered AMEX Gift Cards without issue. There was no problem with entering the shipping address only the billing address cannot work without Hawaii on their list of states! Extremely frustrating. Forcing me to use Amazon instead. I've learned my lesson. No more AMEX Gift Cards!

Original review: May 7, 2020

I have been trying to reach the customer service of the gift card department for weeks. I can’t get anyone. Made some transactions and it stated pending. After days the money was returned without the transaction going through. Very disappointing. Can’t get anyone to help me. Also the card just expired with money on it and I can’t through to renew it.

Original review: April 28, 2020

Obviously Amex information can be easily accessed when you use it online on some websites. If someone gets this information - you are completely out of luck. The money is gone. You have no recourse. Amex does not stand behind their product. I would never purchases this for myself. I will recommend my company to stop using these gift cards and make sure that from now on anyone and everyone who mentions gift cards to rely this stories BUYER BEWARE. It's not worth the chance of this happening to you. There are other gift cards out there.

Original review: March 6, 2020

All information found online about "American Express® Reward Card Cardholder Agreement" says: ---- Begin Quote ---- FUNDS DO NOT EXPIRE The funds on the Card do not expire. VALID THRU DATE The "valid thru" date on the front of the Card is the date through which your physical plastic card may be used. This date is required to process transactions at merchants that request a plastic expiration date. Even if the "valid thru" date has passed on the Card, its Available Balance remains unchanged and intact. If an Available Balance remains on the Card after the "valid thru" date, call 1-800-297-7327 to obtain a replacement Card or for instructions on how to redeem the Available Balance. ---- End Quote ----

You can find the above in many, many links from americanexpress.com and I never found anything else to the contrary. Based on the above, I did not worry about the expiration date, which was 6 days ago. Today, I want to use MY money and they tell me that it is expired and there is "nothing they can do" as they have created some sort of exception to this card. I escalated the call as high as they let me escalate but did not solve my problem. That is false advertisement. I will file a report in every place I can. DO NOT TRUST AMEX REWARDS CARDS.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I gave a $100 prepaid gift card to my 15-year-old niece in Laguna Niguel, CA. She purchased an item on Amazon for $23 dollars. She then tried to use her card to purchase lunch and it was denied. My sister called customer service and was told that there were no funds remaining on the account. Knowing that there should be a balance of $77, she asked for the purchase history and was told the card was used last in LONDON. They simply claimed they were not responsible for fraud and we should have read the fine print. Period. American Express has fraud protection for their credit card customers, but will not write off $77 for obvious fraud.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I purchased a gift card for $100 on December 19th. When trying to use the card on January 12th the card had a balance of 10 cents. Two purchases had been made. The purchases were in two different states, nowhere near where I live. Upon calling American Express I was informed they do not "allow" disputes on fraudulent charges as other cards do. Buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

My 12 year old daughter received a $100 American Express gift card from my parents on Christmas Day. She opened it and attempted to use it today 12/29/2019 and it showed having only $1.73 on it. We went online and checked it and it shows being purchased on Dec 20th and being used on Dec 22nd ($98.27). Once again we did not receive the card until Christmas Day and it was sealed with no visible numbers. I’m not sure how it’s possible to steal money off a sealed card, but beware.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Everyone, beware! I purchased 2 - $100.00 American Express Gift cards from American Express for Christmas. I received the Fed Ex unopened, but when I opened the Fed Ex envelope both gift card envelopes were open. I did not think anything of it until the gift recipient called me yesterday to say he charged $36.34 on the card and they told him the card had a balance of 10 cents. When I went online to look at the card, I discovered that charges of $63.56 had already been made on the card with Amazon on December 21, 22, before they were given as a gift on December 25.

I called American Express Gift Cards and was told that even though charges were made before I received the cards, there was nothing I could do to get back my $63.56. They told me to take it up with Amazon. I did not purchase with my Amex card so I am disputing with the credit card I purchased with. I am cancelling my Amex accounts today and will never do business with them again. Don't buy Amex Gift Cards ever! Apparently they are being hacked and Amex will not honor what you spent or do anything to resolve, for that matter.

Roxanne **

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I received the generous gift of a $500 Amex gift card from my friends. I tried the phone number on the actual back of the card to activate 5 times and as soon as the automated system transfers me to activate it hangs up. I tried going online to americangiftcard.com/balance and it says the website is "momentarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience; please try again later" It is not late or a weekend; it is a weekday at 1:00pm. If it were not such a generous gift that I actually need, I would toss it in the trash.

Please just give your friends actual money whenever possible. These gift cards are not dependable as I have just described. I will now have to suffer and wait and go through this process over and over again - maybe not ever getting the $500 that my friends scraped together for me. I don't understand how companies like Amex can get away with stealing $500. It was supposed to be for an emergency and it does not activate. Please, just give cash and not these horrible cards. By the time this mess is sorted out Christmas will be over and my kid won't get the present this gift card was supposed to buy.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Purchased a gift cards totally $400 on 12/17/19. It's now 11/19 6:30 pm and they still haven't shipped the card. Paid to get card 3 to 4 days. Call spoke to employee #** to cancel cause they will ship 12/20. Not sure why it takes three day to ship. This will be a sad Christmas. Don't buy this gift cards.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Ordered an AMEX gift card on Dec. 2, standard shipping of 5-6 business days. Needed it by Dec. 16. To date not received. Called to get information, but customer service could do little but confirm they have the order and it was sent by US Post on Dec. 5. No tracking number available and there is little I could do but wait until the end of the day before taking further action. Delays are very normal with AMEX, which is why I ordered early. But this is the last time I will buy one online. Delivery is too unreliable and customer service has poor record keeping. Highly recommend others avoid ever buying an AMEX gift card in the future.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Some time ago I got a gift card from my company. Even though I used it from time to time and the card had almost a year before it expired American Express claimed the card was not being used and turned the money over to the state. When I called the call center I was told that only the person who purchased the gift card could challenge this. When I asked why it was done I was given misinformation that American Express is required to do this. When I pushed for more info the call center rep was only able to repeat himself. I acknowledged that it was his job to stick to the script and asked to speak to a manager as it seemed like the rep could not do more. I was told I could request a manager to call me back within a few days but would not be allowed to speak to a manager at that time. I would avoid gift cards from this company.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Had a $75 discrepancy issue with my gift card which was issued by Delta for an overbooked flight, and tried to contact American Express, since I have a long history as a cardholder I expected good service. WRONG. Apparently Amex outsources their gift card division to a foreign company because I was directed to call the number on the back of the card and reached someone who barely spoke English and was horrible at listening as well, they could only read from a script and not address my issue at all. American Express should be ashamed of the horrible level of service displayed by this vendor under their good name. Worst customer service EVER.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Suddenlink sent me an Amex reward card for being a valued member. Card was issued on 9/28/2019. Got my card, went online to register it, and everything looked good. Went to use it, DECLINED. Checked balance, $1. Saw that the card was used in California, draining the balance to the $1. Called the customer support number and was told there's nothing they can do, that I should just ask Suddenlink for another one. Absolutely zero concern for security, what kind of company is this?! ZERO STARS.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Never buy one of these cards. Amex completely disregards the expiration date on the card and at some arbitrary point will drain the balance due to "inactivity". It happened to me with a $500 gift card that had several years left before it expired. Their customer service department is terrible and just gives you the runaround.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I bought over 80 cards different denominations. 5 months later found out most of them were used, and no credit left. Gift card department is horrible, no support at all. And American Express does not protect us against fraud although I bought them through American Express. Very sad and disappointed at American Express. Shame on them..

Original review: July 6, 2019

After reading all the poor reviews from AMEX gift card, I wanted to share my experiences here with you guys on https://www.amexgiftcard.com/. Honestly, this website or company is a joke. I feel this is an entirely different company than Amex credit card department. I literally, tried 10 times, purchasing gift cards from them, but kept getting error messages, saying the data I entered is incorrect. Guys, and ladies, seriously, DO NOT EVEN TRY to purchase anything on this website, it will not go through. Stop wasting your time. For one time, I thought it's because I have been trying to purchase over $8,400 in gift cards, then I tried it with only 2 cards, same, nothing will go through, don't even bother.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Received a $100 AX Gift Card years ago. The front of the card still clearly says, "Valid Thru 09/20". It's May of 2019 and the I tried to use the card for the first time and surprise, not valid any longer. I called and they said due to inactivity it was drained. What? It's a year and a half until the Valid Thru date! They refused to re-issue a card. Deceptive and fraudulent. Never buy a gift card from these scammers!

Original review: May 13, 2019

We were send a $1,000 Amex Gift Card from Delta for staying off an overbooked flight and waiting until the next day to fly home. Our cards came in the mail and we kept track of all of our spendings on it. One was spent down to .29 cents, I saved mine at $362.00 to use in March when family was coming to town for four weeks. I was going to not bring what happened into the equation, as I hate to use this as a "crutch", but it is a fact and relevant to the situation.

In March two family members came in first. We stayed a couple nights at the Stratosphere or the north end of the Las Vegas Strip. It was raining and chilly this March night and we were going back to the hotel after a nice dinner, only a few blocks away at the SLS. We were robbed/mugged by two men from our walk from the SLS to the Strat. I was pushed out of my wheelchair and it was knocked over. They stole our purses, jewelry and two watches. They were homeless men. It looked to be, which is tooo bad, and I often give homeless money from time to time (I still will, there are many who are kind and do need it).

I called my bank and credit cards, and everything, including Amex Gift Card. I did not have the Gift Card full number written down, which is unfortunate. I did not do this. But I had the last four digits and all the purchases written down. They told me without the 15 digits I cannot redeem the remaining balance of $362.00...Unless, I have the number the number on the package in which the card was sent, or the Delta confirmation code of purchase. I threw away the package when it came in the mail over a month ago, so I contacted Delta.

They gave me three numbers proving the Gift Card was purchased by them and sent to me. Amex said that was not enough information. They asked for proof of my address such as a utility bill, confirmation of the gift card sent beyond just the number. So I sent them the email of the card being sent from Delta, the arrival date of it, my water bill, copy of all the transaction directly from their site that I had previously taken, and confirmation letters from Delta. Amex then said they would still not redeem the gift card. Then yet another manager said she would, and I resent to get an email saying they can't without the fifteen digit number.

I am disappointed and spent many hours on this to have me jump through hoops and then tell me no. To top it off, the man on the phone did find my card information, and he told me before I said anything, the exact balance, but then when I asked him how he knew the balance, he said he accidentally told me. So, they did see I had a remaining balance and would still not give me a replacement card. The whole thing has been frustrating and dishonest. I will never purchase an Amex gift card, and I told family and others not to either after this ordeal. We all have Amex Gold Cards and above, and a few people have actually cancelled them because of the way I was treated and promised false information. Done with Amex.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I received an e-mail from American Express offering to defray the $3.95 fee when I purchased a gift card. I entered in all the information (several times). But, each time the system would not let me enter the info to check out. Have had an Amex card for over 40 years. So disappointed I cannot use it to purchase Gift Cards. WHAT'S HAPPENING TO AMERICAN EXPRESS? I am use to it being extremely reliable.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have 3 $25 AX Prepaid Gift Cards my Company gave me for Rewards. Gave one to Employee yesterday. Rejected at Pizza Shop. I called AX and said they need reissued and the only person that can do that is the buyer whose name is "John". Would not give me the last name. I have no idea what "John" in a 3,500 employee company. Talked to some guy from/in a foreign country. Said there was nothing he could do. His shift supervisor said the same. THIS IS JUST BAIT AND SWITCH THEFT!!!! NOT good until January 2023.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I had $100 gift card that I got from Sprint. I forgot to use them because I was kept on using my credit and debit card. After few months then I checked the balance, it came out 0. I called them and they said they have deducted the Maintenance fee. Seriously, what kind of maintenance was needed on the prepaid gift cards. I need my money back..

Original review: April 18, 2019

According to AmEx, it was used by someone in Omaha, NE for medical purposes. I live in NY and was never in Nebraska. It was sealed in original packaging the day I went to use it. How could that be???

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have an Amex Credit Card, and charge almost a million dollars a year. Every year I need gift cards for a trade show that I go to. Every year they cancel my order, never inform me, and cause serious harm. This year they cancelled my $30,000 order, that I placed on my cc, and never informed me. Took hours on the phone. They claimed they contacted me, which they never did. Caused serious impairment to my business. I would NEVER waste your time with them. As an Amex Credit Card user, I feel like they could care less. They don't realize that I now will never be using my Amex card. They have lost a customer all because of their awful service. DON'T USE THEM.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I got an American Express gift card as an incentive for taking a later flight with an airline. I used it to buy shoes and then needed to return them. I returned them and they said I have no balance on the gift card as it expired. The gift card listed the month and not the day they expire. My question would be how could they even refund it if it expired. Ridiculous! So basically they took my money and didn't tell me. Thanks... Will be cancelling my credit card too.

American Express Gift Cards Company Information