2. Finance

American Express Gift Cards

American Express Gift Cards
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.03/5

American Express Gift Cards Reviews

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I received the generous gift of a $500 Amex gift card from my friends. I tried the phone number on the actual back of the card to activate 5 times and as soon as the automated system transfers me to activate it hangs up. I tried going online to americangiftcard.com/balance and it says the website is "momentarily unavailable; we apologize for any inconvenience; please try again later" It is not late or a weekend; it is a weekday at 1:00pm. If it were not such a generous gift that I actually need, I would toss it in the trash.

Please just give your friends actual money whenever possible. These gift cards are not dependable as I have just described. I will now have to suffer and wait and go through this process over and over again - maybe not ever getting the $500 that my friends scraped together for me. I don't understand how companies like Amex can get away with stealing $500. It was supposed to be for an emergency and it does not activate. Please, just give cash and not these horrible cards. By the time this mess is sorted out Christmas will be over and my kid won't get the present this gift card was supposed to buy.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Purchased a gift cards totally $400 on 12/17/19. It's now 11/19 6:30 pm and they still haven't shipped the card. Paid to get card 3 to 4 days. Call spoke to employee #** to cancel cause they will ship 12/20. Not sure why it takes three day to ship. This will be a sad Christmas. Don't buy this gift cards.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Ordered an AMEX gift card on Dec. 2, standard shipping of 5-6 business days. Needed it by Dec. 16. To date not received. Called to get information, but customer service could do little but confirm they have the order and it was sent by US Post on Dec. 5. No tracking number available and there is little I could do but wait until the end of the day before taking further action. Delays are very normal with AMEX, which is why I ordered early. But this is the last time I will buy one online. Delivery is too unreliable and customer service has poor record keeping. Highly recommend others avoid ever buying an AMEX gift card in the future.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Some time ago I got a gift card from my company. Even though I used it from time to time and the card had almost a year before it expired American Express claimed the card was not being used and turned the money over to the state. When I called the call center I was told that only the person who purchased the gift card could challenge this. When I asked why it was done I was given misinformation that American Express is required to do this. When I pushed for more info the call center rep was only able to repeat himself. I acknowledged that it was his job to stick to the script and asked to speak to a manager as it seemed like the rep could not do more. I was told I could request a manager to call me back within a few days but would not be allowed to speak to a manager at that time. I would avoid gift cards from this company.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Had a $75 discrepancy issue with my gift card which was issued by Delta for an overbooked flight, and tried to contact American Express, since I have a long history as a cardholder I expected good service. WRONG. Apparently Amex outsources their gift card division to a foreign company because I was directed to call the number on the back of the card and reached someone who barely spoke English and was horrible at listening as well, they could only read from a script and not address my issue at all. American Express should be ashamed of the horrible level of service displayed by this vendor under their good name. Worst customer service EVER.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Suddenlink sent me an Amex reward card for being a valued member. Card was issued on 9/28/2019. Got my card, went online to register it, and everything looked good. Went to use it, DECLINED. Checked balance, $1. Saw that the card was used in California, draining the balance to the $1. Called the customer support number and was told there's nothing they can do, that I should just ask Suddenlink for another one. Absolutely zero concern for security, what kind of company is this?! ZERO STARS.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Never buy one of these cards. Amex completely disregards the expiration date on the card and at some arbitrary point will drain the balance due to "inactivity". It happened to me with a $500 gift card that had several years left before it expired. Their customer service department is terrible and just gives you the runaround.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I bought over 80 cards different denominations. 5 months later found out most of them were used, and no credit left. Gift card department is horrible, no support at all. And American Express does not protect us against fraud although I bought them through American Express. Very sad and disappointed at American Express. Shame on them..

Original review: July 6, 2019

After reading all the poor reviews from AMEX gift card, I wanted to share my experiences here with you guys on https://www.amexgiftcard.com/. Honestly, this website or company is a joke. I feel this is an entirely different company than Amex credit card department. I literally, tried 10 times, purchasing gift cards from them, but kept getting error messages, saying the data I entered is incorrect. Guys, and ladies, seriously, DO NOT EVEN TRY to purchase anything on this website, it will not go through. Stop wasting your time. For one time, I thought it's because I have been trying to purchase over $8,400 in gift cards, then I tried it with only 2 cards, same, nothing will go through, don't even bother.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Received a $100 AX Gift Card years ago. The front of the card still clearly says, "Valid Thru 09/20". It's May of 2019 and the I tried to use the card for the first time and surprise, not valid any longer. I called and they said due to inactivity it was drained. What? It's a year and a half until the Valid Thru date! They refused to re-issue a card. Deceptive and fraudulent. Never buy a gift card from these scammers!

American Express Gift Cards Company Information