Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

American Express Gift Cards
1.03/5

American Express Gift Cards

421 American Express Gift Cards Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 2, 2019

I got an American Express gift card as an incentive for taking a later flight with an airline. I used it to buy shoes and then needed to return them. I returned them and they said I have no balance on the gift card as it expired. The gift card listed the month and not the day they expire. My question would be how could they even refund it if it expired. Ridiculous! So basically they took my money and didn't tell me. Thanks... Will be cancelling my credit card too.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I just got off the phone with what they call the Prepaid Resolution department and came away as unsatisfied as I could possibly be. I used the remaining balance of $147.19 on my American Express Gift Card to make a purchase at Home Depot and then ended up taking the items back. Home Depot threw out the card at the time of purchase since it was now empty (don't ever do that). I took the items back and Home Depot could only credit the card I used.

That was a problem but I called American Express and they had me send the proof of purchase, the credit card info for the person who purchased the gift card for me, the receipt showing the amount credited back by Home Depot, my driver's license, phone number, address, and a signed cover letter. Only to then tell me that there was nothing they could do. That means $147.19 down the tubes. Originally they said if I provided the info they requested they would simply mail me a new card with $147.19 on it. After reading previous reviews, the way I see it they simply don't help anyone in these type of cases. Does all of that lost money make it back in their coffers? Seems so.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I bought two $100 gift cards from Target on November 21st. The both cards a insufficiently funded. I went to Target and they told me that I need to contact American Express. I contacted Amex and their customer service is horrible. It's been 3 months and they are not helping me. Now I lost my $200 for nothing. They are the worst company and this is my worst gift card purchase EVER.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I received a $100 Amex gift card and when I went to use it a couple of months later, it only had a balance of $45.01. I called and was told there was a charge from Paypal for a money order. I never used the card! It sat in a safe in my office!! Amex security sucks and gift cards are worse than cash because they can steal its value while the card is in your safe! Zero stars.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I received an American Express $50 dollar gift card that stated it expired in 04/23 (the year I'm writing this is 2019). Went to use it and it didn't work. When I called the company, they stated they charged the card a monthly fee of $2 after issuance. WHAT?!! !Then the card actually expired approximately 2 years after issuance and not 2023. Like throwing your money away! DO NOT BUY OR SUPPORT AMERICAN EXPRESS!!! They are thieves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Received my $200 gift card in December. Tried to use it on two occasions in January at merchants and they had no luck running the card. Went to the website to check remaining value: $2.46. Card had been used at a Walgreens in latter December in a city that I don't live. Card has never been out of my possession. No remedy so will send it back to AMEX and they can buy a candy bar. Security of these cards has been compromised at the source.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

My mother bought a $25 dollar gift card plus $4 for card. So $29 dollars. Get the card today on Christmas and try to activate it, it sends me to a man who says that the card has zero dollars because it did not load right. But the receipt says she paid 29 dollars. Great company... NOT. I will never buy from this company again, ripping little kids off. How dare you.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I've never had any luck with these cards. The first time I tried to use them was at an online cigar vendor while I was deployed to Afghanistan (back in 2012). The vendor processed the order, then advised after the fact that they couldn't ship to my APO address. When I contact AMEX about it, I was unable to get a refund. I don't recall what hoops they wanted me to jump through - I didn't have time to sit on the phone, dig through receipts and jump through hoops because, as I said, I was deployed to Afghanistan. That's the story of the first $100, down the toilet.

Fast forward to Christmas 2018. I received another $100 gift card and had hoped to put it towards a purchase at an online vendor. The total cost of the item was about $110.00. Unfortunately, this online vendor (like most online vendors) couldn't accommodate multiple methods of payment for a single purchase, so the $100 card had to be used elsewhere. I didn't want to use less than $100 because, then I'm just leaving smaller amounts of money on a card that I could easily misplace (which I believe is what AMEX is hoping will ultimately happen). Next, I tried to use it at Amazon by refilling the gift card balance associated with my account. It seems like this would be an easy process which would allow me to use the full value of the gift card and apply the funds towards purchases on Amazon without leaving any money behind on the card.

Amazon, like most online vendors, wants you "Create a new payment method" and doesn't have a special field for using American Express Gift Cards. The AmexGiftCard.com website says that you should enter all your data into the payment line just as you would with any other card (like my name and address, which are not specific to the gift card). Amazon was unable to process the payment, but when I checked the gift card balance, it showed that Amazon had attempted to access the funds. It just wouldn't go through. Finally, I tried to apply the gift card balance to my Amex Platinum Card balance. This seems like a total no brainer (because Amex should certainly accept Amex) but the cards cannot be used to pay off one's credit card balance.

Of the "Hundreds" of businesses that accept American Express Gift Cards, it turns out that American Express does not accept their own cards. 3 strikes without leaving the comfort of my home. In summary, I couldn't get the money back when a vendor was unable to ship their products to an APO address in Afghanistan in 2012. In 2018, I tried to use the card 3 different ways: at a small online retailer, at the biggest online retailer in America, and at American Express themselves. The card could not be used at any of them. I guess I'll have to take it shopping at the grocery store and hope it's accepted there (yippee!).

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

My daughter was saving her gift cards to buy a special gift. I was with her and when she swiped her American Express card it showed zero balance. I called the number on the back and they confirmed that the dollars were used to pay the monthly fees. This is beyond comprehension. American Express stole money from a child. I went on the American Express website to write a complaint and was not able to. This company should be put on the biggest loser list for stealing money from pre-purchased gift cards. If you ever receive one use it immediately and please do not support a company that practices such terrible customer care. It is so sad.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Purchased the White Metal Gift Card, thinking it was metal. I have a Rose Gold metal card, referenced in the same way. These are not made of metal. They are made of the same cheap material that all their other gift cards are made of. These specifically state they come with a gold envelope, whereas the others don't. And these cost many more member points (more so than the same gift card amount with different design) next to it. In fact... all other gift cards with different design cost the same points as each other for same amount, except this one.

I purchased these and every day the hotline said there was a problem with my order. When I called in to the representatives on each day, they all said no. They said my order was pending and I might get it by Christmas. Today it arrived. Today I talked to them, and they said it was pending, so today, after I talked to them, I ordered a whole new set of gift cards to arrive $500 worth, because I thought it might have been delayed due to the Happy Holiday customization option I selected. So I ordered a second generic (picture only) gift card. Well, these are so tacky looking I won't be giving them out to clients. This is not white metal, as advertised.

American Express Gift Cards Company Information