American Express Gift Cards

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Gift Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Gift Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: May 19, 2022

I tried for 3 days to place an order for 2 gift cards on https://www.amexgiftcard.com/. When writing out the gift message, the site continuously said that the field did not allow special characters (I used NO characters at all - only letters) and would not allow me to place the order at all. The phone number provided for help only offered an automated message to check a card balance, so I called the number on the back of my Amex card - Spoke with about 10 people, but NONE were willing or able to offer me any help at all. I am sooo disappointed with AMEX these days - was always my fav co when they provided real customer service, but they obviously don't care about their customers or their satisfaction any longer (This is not my first customer service issue with Amex in more recent times).

Original review: March 21, 2022

This company is a bunch of crooks. As soon as the card was activated they stole my funds right off the card and they refuse to give me a refund for the money. I spent over 10 phones call on them to accomplish nothing. I am very upset and terms and services suck badly.

Original review: March 15, 2022

Here is my experience with my first AMEX gift card SCAM - 3/15/2022. Phone Call # 1 – Outgoing at 9:44am EST. I called in to inform AMEX team of fraud - She took down all the info, then said someone will contact me. When I requested that I should be speaking to fraud dept, she put me on hold then eventually hung up. Total call time 30 mins. Phone Call # 2 – Outgoing at 10:14am EST. I called again regarding the fraud/dispute. Pressed lost/stolen prompt. Gave the new lady the same info. She stated I needed to call PayPal. Gave me a transaction ID # and that I needed to call PayPal to resolve my issue. Then she put me on hold and hung up. Total call time 12 mins.

Phone Call # 3 – Outgoing at 10:24am EST. I called again regarding the same issue. "Todd" said the lady prior submitted a claim to dispute the charge, but that there is no claim # to be given. He said they/I will acknowledge the dispute with transaction ID #. He also said that he does not have the # to PayPal's fraud department even though PayPal is a merchant. He claims within 10 days the dispute should be resolved and a refund/re-issue of the new card will be given. I will have to wait and see. Total call time 18 mins. Transaction ID ** | Paypal transaction of $90 on 2.13.22 to Stacy ** (Unknown Individual to me or person I gifted the card to).

Original review: March 8, 2022

Do not BUY American Express Gcards!! Purchased American Express Gcards to two different stores. Walgreens. It says activated but once you check the balance it is empty. Someone had used it, at Apple location in Dedham MA. I called Walgreens, nothing they can do about it because I authorized the purchase, yes because I pay for the card. Advised to contact Amex. After 5 or 6 times calling and being put on hold and get hang up, finally spoke to a supervisor who says nothing she can do because it is treated as cash and advised to call the merchant. Called Apple store where the card was used. Advised to contact the police and file a report. Police cannot give me my money back.

The point and lesson for all this..NO ONE SEEM TO go Above and beyond anymore to resolve or even just listen. I asked Apple manager to look in the sales report, cameras and demanded a refund since someone purchased using the gcard.. They says nothing they can do and they don't even have asset loss prevention. Come on people. DISPUTED the charges, I got the Provisional refund so waited a few weeks to get a new one at CVS. The same thing happened, activated but no money in it. Called both Amex, Apple Store and nothing they can do. So where did the money go, who is responsible, no one seems to take full responsibility. I am not rich to just take this as is. It's my hard earned money and I just wanted to get a card as a bday gift. Whoever is producing Amex gcard, be real because it is my hard earned money. I want my money back and this must stop.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I ordered gift cards for my employees for their hard work through a busy season. I chose to make personalized cards because I figured they would've more appreciated. It took quite a while to finish the order and thanks to a website error, I had to do it over again from scratch. After I re-completed making their cards, the order went through with my confirmation email. About a week passed and I got a shipping notification that also said that part of my order "could not be processed". It also said that I should direct my questions to the 800 number. I called and went through the computer prompts and was put on hold. A person came to the line asked me for my order number and when I gave it to him, he hung up. Oooo-k then. I call back go through the prompts and this time after holding, it goes straight to hanging up on me. Same thing for a third time.

The 4th time I called from my cell phone instead of our landline and I got ahold of a different person. I asked her why part of my order could not be processed. She said she did not know why "they" decided anything and she could not transfer me to the mysterious "they" to find out. She also said that her supervisor wouldn't know either. She let me know that all they do there at the call center is create "tickets" for things and could not say whether or not anything would happen. She suggested that I just keep the partial order and try to reorder the remainder again. That's all fine and good, but if I don't know WHY it was cancelled, then I may be wasting my time all over again.

I let her know that I need to cancel the partial order until they can figure it out. She said she would create a "ticket" for that and started giving me a reference number since they don't email anything. Partway through the reference number the line went dead silent. I stayed on the phone for another 10 mins waiting for a return, but once again I was ghosted. I guess I'll just have to refuse delivery and order 6 grand worth of visa gift cards instead. Maybe they'll be able to figure it out.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

They don't let you check the balance on your card, with the website having an 'unknown error' for the past 5 years. Once you are down to the last 4 dollars on your card it will automatically decline for anything, even if it's under that amount.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Purchased digital gift card through Amex, Never even used it. Tried checking balance about two hours later after making the gift card purchase and receiving e-gift card. Was NOT able to check online Or on the phone. Keep getting disconnected every time I would call. Decided to track down CS email and emailed a few hours after that and no response. After 5 phone calls to amex and getting disconnected, they confirm the e-gift card was stolen and purchased made at Apple then informed me to contact Apple. I asked, "How am I supposed to ask Apple to look into it without having ANYTHING for them to reference?!" Their response was "I could provide you with the amount and date." That's not helpful whatsoever since I know the date and amount since I purchased the e-gift card myself and tried to inquire about the balance. Their "LOST OR STOLEN CARD? CONTACT US" is just false sense of security.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I bought American Express Cards that had no money on because they had already been scanned and used. I have 7 American Express Gift Cards that never had any money on them and they were used to scam me.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

Do not buy Amex gift cards!!! I wish I could give negative stars. My son got one as a gift for Christmas. We tried to activate by calling the number on the back of the card and received an error message from Amex. Waited 48 minutes to speak with someone who inevitably could not help. They said we have to have the receipt and go to the store where it was purchased to activate it. They do not activate by simply calling the number in the card. You have to activate from the store you purchased it from and the family member who gifted it to us is not in the same city as us. So they told us there is nothing they can do. Worst experience ever just to try to activate a $25 gift card my baby got for Christmas. Absolutely ridiculous, I will never purchase anything from them, give your business to Visa, I’ve never had an issue activating Visa gift cards.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

This card is a scam. I was given several gift cards and when I went to use them the balance had been used up. Don't quite know how since I had never use them before. Try using their website...BOY DOES THAT SUCK!!! Then trying calling, phone numbers change constantly, so what is on the card is different from the website, etc. Then when you call you're given a different number. If you want to piss off someone give them a pre-paid AMEX card, otherwise give them something else!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I am also the victim of a scam, of the 4 gift cards, I still have 2 have been compromised and used, and as others have stated AMEX will do nothing to protect the card holder. - they say 'it's treated as cash. 'OMG.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

Someone gave me a prepaid $25 American Express gift card, I love these prepaid gift cards since you can use them on almost anything or just about anywhere. About two months ago I made a purchase for about $22 - $23 on eBay. I usually either donate the remaining couple of dollars and cents to a GoFundMe or to someone's PayPal if I use their website or servers for gaming. Last night I went to check the balance so I could make a small donation and spend the remainder. The first site wouldn't work and directed me to another American Express gift card balance page, which also did not work. It sent me to yet another page and it said the security code was invalid. I was able to go through my eBay account and check my purchase history and determine that I spent $22.16 on the purchase I used the American Express gift card for, which left a $2.84 balance on the card.

I went to a site I use to listen to underground heavy metal music and wanted to donate the $2.84 to their PayPal. No luck, American Express declined the transaction. Okay, I'll try another site. I find something really cheap on eBay, something like $2.53 total, free shipping. Attempt to use the card, which is a saved card in my account. Nope, transaction declined. I've used plenty of the Visa and Mastercard prepaid gift cards and never had a single issue with either. Reading a lot of the other reviews, it seems I should be lucky I was even able to use the card in some capacity since a lot of others were never able to even spend a penny of their balance on their American Express gift card. Someone really needs to look into this and file a class action lawsuit to get the people their money back that was stolen from them. If you are looking for a prepaid gift card, Visa and Mastercard are awesome but you should avoid American Express at all costs.

Original review: June 23, 2021

This gift card is great if you want to lose on the full amount of money allotted to the gift card. Expect to at least waste a full dollar. Making this gift dumb and pointless. Actual 50 dollars is better than pretend 50 dollars. You can not actually lose due to some unexplainable issue from customer service. Waste of time. Waste of money. There are better gift cards that do not rob you.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Was given an Am Express gift card from Hunter Douglass window treatments. Used the card at Eastern Serenity jewelry catalog out of New Mexico. A week later went back to Eastern Serenity to use the rest of the gift card. Couldn’t use it. Checked out my balance on gift card had only .79 cents left. There were 4 charges on my gift card. Called Eastern Serenity to notify them couldn’t or wouldn’t help me. Called Am Express, didn’t care. Never ever buy gift cards from American Express! This company is useless!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I received a $25 and a $50 gift card from my boss as a reward and was able to check the balances on both cards online after multiple attempts with a buggy website. After issues with not being to access the full balance of the card due to a 10 cent authorization payment for online purchases, I was finally able to use $24.90 of the $25 card. However the website no longer works for the $50 card, and their customer service line claims that the card was never activated and has zero money on it so I cannot check the balance. I was able to check my balance a week earlier and had $50, where did it go? - Into a scam. Do not purchase these cards.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

Purchased a gift card on Dec. 9th and never received it. I could not get a person on the phone to find out what happened to the card. Finally called the credit card company I used to purchase the card and they were able to get someone on the phone who told me they would open up a case and within 6 days someone would contact me and then send me the card. This means I will not have the card for Christmas. This is the last time I will purchase an Amex gift card. Avoid them like the plaque. I'm not sure why American Express continues to do business with the company that is handling their gift cards. They should be embarrassed by the amount of poor reviews they receive!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

Avoid American Express gift cards like the plague. I purchased several dozen gift cards for my employees to distribute as Christmas bonuses. The cards were received from AMEX in sealed envelopes, and this is how they were distributed to employees... in the same, sealed envelope. Employees went to use the cards and learned that the cards were "compromised" (that's AMEX's word for it). Now, AMEX is doing very little to help. It is obvious that the "compromise" occurred at the point of origin (shipment). I am out THOUSANDS of dollars. I have pissed off employees. Can anyone recommend a good class action attorney to haul AMEX into court? Fraud! Fraud! Fraud!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

DO NOT BUY Amex Gift Cards. Amex takes NO responsibility for fraud. Numbers for my card were used to make 18 transactions for a total of over $1,000. (The card did not leave my home.) American Express takes NO RESPONSIBILITY for this and will not refund the $1,000+!!! Their policy is I have to deal with the merchants, but they cannot provide contact information, or any information beyond the day time and amount. Their lapse in security becomes YOUR PROBLEM. Give people cash, or a check... Otherwise, the money can be stolen remotely and you will have no recourse. Amex allowed fraudulent transactions to take place and does not take responsibility or provide enough information for you to try and attempt to get the money back from the merchant. How this is legal, I cannot understand.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Of course your well-meaning family member wants to get a gift card for your kids. They never expire, so when you finally get around to checking a balance, surprise! You can’t do it online. So you call AMEX and are told, no problem to use it on Amazon. Except you have to buy an Amazon card with it first. And you have to use the chat help to figure out how to do that on Amazon. And only one of three cards work. So you go on chat again and get told it’s a security issue and that will take 72 hours. So you escalate and an Amazon human on the telephone tells you it was declined. Yeah, duh? She tells you to enter it again so you do.

Then it turns out you have to call the same Amex number you started with, and find out why it was declined. You do it like a fool, and get told that the card was “unfunded”. That someone didn’t set it up correctly, but you can submit the original receipt to an email with your ID, name, address and phone and they will review it in 10 days. Suuure! It’s a gift card remember?! I asked if Amex would also like my blood type and my firstborn as well. Oh, and you can’t use an Amex prepaid card on your Amex credit card account. I guess they know better. And so Amex got the $100 that my family spent... Modern day piracy, perhaps?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I received 4 of these cards from a well-meaning relative. Unfortunately, these cards cannot be used online. I called gift card customer service and was told the cards read as "anonymous" to online retailers, so they have the right to decline the card. Unlike other gift cards (Visa, etc.) these cannot be registered online. When processing online transactions, merchants verify the card is connected to a valid name and mailing address; that's why other gift cards are useable for online purchases and bill-paying.

These cards are possibly the most useless waste of plastic. I am not able to make in-person purchases due to the pandemic. Don't even bother using these at the gas pump; they'll be rejected. These cards are so pointless not even the online gift card buy-back services will take them. I don't have the heart to tell the person who gave these cards to me they're useless, but AMEX gift cards are useless garbage. Do not give these during the holidays unless you hate the recipient. I have $150.00 of useless plastic that I can't redeem anywhere.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I bought a few of these cards to give to my employees and clients as gifts. As I tried to use one of them to test them, the card number had been compromised and instead of getting the face value, I only got a fraction. Someone had stolen the card number from the issuer and used it. Neither American Express nor the issuer wanted to compensate me for the loss. These cards are issued by a third party that wanted nothing to do with the problem and neither did American Express.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I purchased a $300 Amex gift card from THEIR website (not a 3rd party). I had it shipped to ME. I received the card. I went to use it about a month later. Doesn’t work. I tried to check balance online. Didn’t work. I called-they said “someone named Krista called last week and said their card was stolen.” I said how is that possible when I PURCHASED THE CARD and I still have the physical card in my possession. They asked that I send in a copy of my gift card, photo ID and receipt of purchase. I sent ALL the information requested and they said it would take 3 days. It has been over 2 weeks-the aknowledge they have received all of my information and requested documents and all they can say is “we are so sorry but because a replacement was sent out to Krista we cannot send you one.” So even though the card is mine and paid for by me, They never requested a copy of the card from her or her receipt but they sent a thief my $300 gift card.

Original review: June 26, 2020

We used to buy gift cards for our employees. Cards go "inactive" way before expiration date. It is a MESS to get them reissued. We had a few reissued and the new cards went inactive within a short period. Called again -- after holding and being transferred to someone who could help, was disconnected. Had to start from the beginning...again. Embarrassing to distribute cards that are inactive when we just received them. Will NEVER EVER buy them again.

Original review: June 12, 2020

I received a $200 prepaid gift card from work for 'AMEX Rewards'. I tried to load it into Amazon for the full balance and it was denied. I tried a 1 more time and again it was declined. The information input to create the pending 10 cent transactions obviously mean everything matched. I check the AMEX rewards gift card balance and it was automatically deducting it from my balance despite it being pending. I tried a third time for a balance of $199.70 accounting for the fact that this was my third attempt (10 cents) minus 20 cents for the other pending transactions. It finally went through and not denied.

If you read their conditions, they also state that unused balances really will expire or incur monthly fees on the balance. This is a consumer scam and should not be tolerated. When you think about the scale of varying balances from 10 cents or even 50 cents; that adds up to major 'savings' and profiting off consumers who can't use the full amount from the start. I am going to be reporting this to the TXAG, FTC, and any other applicable agency I can start an investigation on.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I received an American Express gift card as part of a rebate on a purchased product. When I attempted to use the gift card for an online purchase, which was for the value of the gift card, the transaction was refused. I attempted two more times and was refused each time. My call to American Express Customer Service was terrible due to the spotty and noisy line. I could barely understand the customer rep, but what I could piece together was that a 10¢ transaction fee is assessed for an online purchase. However, I was assured that after the transaction cleared, the 10¢ would be credited back to the card. Since I tried to use the balance on the card, and the 10¢ fee the card was added to amount of the purchase, the card was declined, thereby creating another 10¢ fee for each time the card was declined.

So I asked the customer service rep what amount I could use to complete the transaction without incurring additional fees. I was given an amount -30¢ of the value of the gift card. When I attempted to make a purchase for that amount, the transaction was declined again, thereby subtracting whatever is the balance of this card by another 10¢.

It is my opinion then that American Express should be criticized for their deceptive fees and poor disclosure of those fees to the consumers and companies that use these cards for promotions. I have a bad opinion now of the company that offered the gift card as a promotion, and a terrible opinion of American Express as a company that harbors dishonest business practices for profit. Over a 30¢, 40¢ hidden fees, (or whatever it's going end up), I'll never consider purchasing a service or product from American Express. And if I encounter a company promoting American Express gift cards in a sales promotion again, I will pass my business on to different company.

Original review: May 19, 2020

My name is Giorgio **. I live in Fairfield CT and work in Manhattan. My complaint is most people are unaware of using gift cards. Most importantly, they are just like cash. If you use it to purchase something online and get hacked, nobody can help. Amex or their third-party firm says sorry. A few months ago, I received a gift card from a company. I started to use it to purchase some items on Amazon and local stores around town. Yesterday I wanted to buy another item on Amazon and realized I no longer have a balance. I logged on to Amex Gift Card balance and somebody used the card to purchase computer equipment in the UK. I WAS FURIOUS. I called the number on the back of the card. Waited 1.5 hours before I was able to speak with a representative.

I told her my story and said to me that there is nothing they can do to refund my money. She said I would have to call the retail company. She eventually provided me with a name, address but no phone number. I googled the name while still on the phone with her. I told her nothing came up. She then said that I would have to go to the retail store. I told her I live in Connecticut/USA and the store was in the UK ... No help from them or Amex ... I’m out all the money. It doesn’t seem right at all. I'm sure im not the only one experiencing this fraud. These companies mislead people with zero help. Beware!!!

Thanks,

Giorgio **

Original review: May 17, 2020

Attempted to order a gift card delivered to my daughter in CO. Everything was fine until checkout. They would not take my billing information because I could not enter my state (Hawaii). The list of states went from Georgia to Idaho. They blamed it on my browser which seems stupid. The list is wrong. I am an AMEX cardholder since 77, I have previously ordered AMEX Gift Cards without issue. There was no problem with entering the shipping address only the billing address cannot work without Hawaii on their list of states! Extremely frustrating. Forcing me to use Amazon instead. I've learned my lesson. No more AMEX Gift Cards!

Original review: May 7, 2020

I have been trying to reach the customer service of the gift card department for weeks. I can’t get anyone. Made some transactions and it stated pending. After days the money was returned without the transaction going through. Very disappointing. Can’t get anyone to help me. Also the card just expired with money on it and I can’t through to renew it.

Original review: April 28, 2020

Obviously Amex information can be easily accessed when you use it online on some websites. If someone gets this information - you are completely out of luck. The money is gone. You have no recourse. Amex does not stand behind their product. I would never purchases this for myself. I will recommend my company to stop using these gift cards and make sure that from now on anyone and everyone who mentions gift cards to rely this stories BUYER BEWARE. It's not worth the chance of this happening to you. There are other gift cards out there.

Original review: March 6, 2020

All information found online about "American Express® Reward Card Cardholder Agreement" says: ---- Begin Quote ---- FUNDS DO NOT EXPIRE The funds on the Card do not expire. VALID THRU DATE The "valid thru" date on the front of the Card is the date through which your physical plastic card may be used. This date is required to process transactions at merchants that request a plastic expiration date. Even if the "valid thru" date has passed on the Card, its Available Balance remains unchanged and intact. If an Available Balance remains on the Card after the "valid thru" date, call 1-800-297-7327 to obtain a replacement Card or for instructions on how to redeem the Available Balance. ---- End Quote ----

You can find the above in many, many links from americanexpress.com and I never found anything else to the contrary. Based on the above, I did not worry about the expiration date, which was 6 days ago. Today, I want to use MY money and they tell me that it is expired and there is "nothing they can do" as they have created some sort of exception to this card. I escalated the call as high as they let me escalate but did not solve my problem. That is false advertisement. I will file a report in every place I can. DO NOT TRUST AMEX REWARDS CARDS.

American Express Gift Cards Company Information