1.18/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Intuit - Quicken

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

412 Intuit - Quicken Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Quicken user since 1996 and 2017. R15 is just another step down. The One Step Update has been a problem since I installed Quicken 2017. I've had to disconnect and reconnect my bank and credit card accounts, and the update might or might not work, based on the phase of the moon, the weather and my horoscope, I guess. This r15 update (which Quicken FORCED me to do) now hangs every time I try to update. About the only good thing I can say is that online backup is quicker. BUT, given the Equifax and other breaches, maybe not a great thing. Ugh. This time I WILL find another option.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Quicken 2017 - I have used Quicken for many years, essentially for basic checking etc. This year I upgraded yet again only to find out they left Intuit and to continue to use Quicken with my bank I must purchase tech support! $199 per year. They will not refund my purchase, yet it does not work! Very upset.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Have used Quicken for many years. Am continually being sent requests to purchase an upgrade. Every few years forced to purchase or program will not longer work. Tonight had a forced update that now requires me to use a password every time I open the software, forced to set up a cloud account, forced to set up a vault account. Tried to go to Quicken support. Their page says 8 minute wait for chat. I've been sitting with the chat saying waiting for agent for 43 minutes. Why can they completely change the software that I've bought and paid for. Why am I forced to install options that I don't want. Never connect on the Internet. I want the software I paid for or my money back but apparently they do not respond in their support.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I am a 20+ year Quicken user. Quicken 2017 is a disaster. The migration from Intuit to Quicken has shut me down completely and the premium tech support that I pay for is worthless. My Quicken doesn't work and Quicken has not been able to fix it. It has been one crisis after another for six months. I called the bank to find out what other software I can use and was told there is none. Quicken is the only banking software that Wells Fargo, my bank supports. I don't know how I will make the reports I need for my business. If anyone knows about other software I would appreciate learning about it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

BILL PAY NO LONGER SUPPORTED VIA BANK OF AMERICA - I have used Quicken Home and Business Bill Pay via my bank for many years, since Intuit's BILL PAY service has a very very bad the reputation!!! Since October 2017 update, Quicken no longer supports BILL PAY capability through your financial institution. You are forced to pay Quicken $9.95/month to use their service. I will look to migrating to another money management product. Fed up with Quicken's customer support.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I have used Quicken since Version 2 in 1986 and have paid for countless updates. This new Quicken 2017, independent of Intuit, is a disaster. The migration has been one screw-up after another. And impossible to get any help. I'm in a loop of requests for new ID and new P/W. In the meantime, I can't access my account.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I have been using this software since the beginning. Since processing their "required" update under "Quicken" and not "Intuit" it has become a piece of trash. Fonts all different sizes having to keep changing views to even SEE the account. They keep telling me I have the incorrect password TWICE... I DON’T. I don't know who runs this company, but they have no clue what the heck they are doing. Their "support" HAHA website states they are having issues... Really??? Better clean up your act. In addition, they claim they have broken from "Intuit" but through the password corrections, I still see "Intuit"? What's the deal???

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Received email today after login to Quicken that update R11-14 were being added. Somewhere during the update that wanted to change my login password, which I did. No longer after several tries can I get into Quicken. I am total blocked out, phone support today said 2 hours wait time, and the internet support 30 minutes wait time, well I have been waiting support over 60 minutes. This is non-existence support. What gives. I need to find another company. Have been using this company over 20 years, but it really going to in flames, just about as bad as American Express customer support, which is pretty non-existence.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

My wife called earlier and was on hold for more than 25 minutes. I tried to use chat tonight and was told there was a 20 minute hold. When the support person came online, there was no chime just a written message and I was one minute late. We are trying to reconcile Quicken. The opening balance and ending balance are correct and the items cleared are correct but it doesn't balance.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have been a user of Quicken for several years, but after today's encounter with their technical support I'm do with Quicken. I had password issues getting into my online account ever since I install 2017. It never accepts my password and when I change it the process always fails. Tech support now charges a fee to reset/unlock your online account. After several attempts with their tech support, I was told that I should uninstall their software and quit using it. They did not want customer like me to use their product. I filed a formal complaint with Quicken Customer service, but was informed that I would have to pay their service fee to unlock my account. Goodbye Quicken, If this is your attitude I'm done with your products.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Quicken Deluxe 2017 - One of the basis of Quicken's existence is in the managing of a Checking type account, which is a mirror of a paper checkbook register that you and I used to deal with before using Quicken. Other types of accounts in Quicken use the same methodology and therefore the logic that drives the maintenance of the account that is the same or similar. The specific function that I'm having some trouble with is the RECONCILE function. It starts with a small window that requests important information. That being: 1) The Ending date of a period of time (like a Month); 2) The Starting Balance of money for the period of time, and 3) The Ending Balance of money in the period of time on that date.

Once this is accepted, the next window in the sequence is the two sided window showing all the additions and subtractions from the account in question. Most of the operational action takes place in this window. BUT - in order to make any progress in the second window and subsequently in the overall balancing of the period of time in question, that small window mentioned at the beginning of the sequence is absolutely required.

The problem at this time is that the small window is NOT BEING SHOWN and therefore the account can not be properly balanced!!! Where is that window in the sequence? I have been able to determine that this problem is showing up in only 2 of the 15 accounts that I have in place at this time. The other accounts in my file process as they should just fine. This problem has only started in the past week or two, about. And I know that it started after the update to Rel 10 (a bad word I have found out) on or about Aug 22, 2017. I have been attempting to research this bug, but can't find any information or work around for it. After all the years of operation using Quicken (of many versions), I have been able to find work-arounds for problems that I find. But I haven't been able to determine a course of action for this one.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

After being a loyal customer since graduation from college (1990), it's finally time for me to ditch Quicken. I've upgraded each time the version I was using was losing its support. Then perhaps about 2010, I started upgrading regularly when a newer version became available. Well, I really regret upgrading to 2016. I've had nothing but one downloading issue after another. Always getting a message that the account was updated when it wasn't. Or that I had to "reactivate" the same accounts to avoid seeing the error messages. Which turned out to be not true at all. Currently, I have 4 accounts that can't be updated in Quicken without having to go through the process of "fixing" it and the account still will not update. Now the errors I'm getting tells me that my password/ username info is incorrect. Again... Not true!! Now I have to decide if I just keep manually updating the accounts or switch to a new product!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Every release of Quicken is worse than the previous release. The latest Windows update of Quicken 2017, called R10, is a success, in that it's so bad, it's generating thousands of complaints on the company-moderated forum, and Quicken have taken to deleting the most researched and eloquent posts and replies. If they could fire Mueller, they would.

They have sunk so low, they are openly mocking customers. Every day there are many new posts about R10 failing on automatic updates, with a bug that cannot be overcome, and often those posts are greeted with the reply that this is the first the bug has been reported. This bug has been outstanding for several weeks, and some customers report they have reverted to using Excel or switched to other personal finance products. Customer support hangs up if you call and say "R10". Literally. On both chat and the phone. Which is fine, as they clearly don't use the product. And their proficiency in English is modest and limited, so don't use nuance or idiomatic expressions.

The CEO, Eric Dunn, is oblivious to the poor quality of the product. His latest communication with customers (and communication with Mr. Dunn is a one-way street) is a promise to add many new features to Quicken, and no acknowledgement of the poor quality of the current product and no commitment to improvement. Donald Trump is not the only chief executive who is in way over his head and out of his league. In his defense, no one has presented evidence that Mr. Dunn has direct ties to Vladimir Putin.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I have been using Quicken since inception, we were forced to purchase Quicken 2015 which offered little to no benefit, but now a major problem is unable to connect 2015 to Wells Fargo. Honestly, I believe they are trying to push 2017 or 2018 onto their customers. In looking at the Intuit site and the complaints "The conversation is now closed" after three complaints about the issue. (problem started 3 day's ago) Instead of patch, now we have to remove Quicken from the computer entirely, start over again with the original disc and add the patches. I have now opted to download and add, since WFC charges $3 per month, and the updates have a lag of 2-3 days with Quicken so I will add manually.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Quicken 2015 failure - I've used Quicken for at least 15 years, maybe more. The experiences over the years with their support has been marginal at best, requiring forking over small amounts, $35 or so for sometimes bad solutions after a version's warranty had expired, but nothing like the one I just had, with Quicken's "advanced" (read, stick it to you hard for $$$) support when, out of the blue, I began getting error code OL **, unable to "update."

After checking with my bank, who said the problem is with Quicken, I spent an hour with someone with a strong Indian accent, who said he couldn't fix it and was transferring me to "advanced" support. After an hour of razzle dazzle mumbo jumbo BS, he give me the price to solve the problem, starting with the least expensive at $499 for one year's "advanced" support.

I finally had to stop him and tell him how ridiculous he was. He finally went into a huff. My cynical nature suggests the situation has changed radically since Intuit sold Quicken to some hedge fund group, who are perhaps bent on wringing every possible dollar out of their old customer base. Maybe not. But this was the last straw. I'm done with Quicken. Fork tender. Now going with Mint (still owned by Intuit) and my own bank's online payment system. Bye bye Quicken, it was nice knowing you those first few years after I switched from "Managing Your Money", but these last few have been a huge headache.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Yes we all know that Quicken has been going downhill for years and the 2017 version seems to have put them just below the Marianas trench. Basically the only thing it does well is use up hard drive space. It's slow to load, does not connect to financial institutions, and when and if it does it will not update properly. Way too many problems to list here. It would be nice if we could start a class action suit and get our money back. But we all know they'll buy their way out of it. Save your hard earned money from the thieves at Intuit and just make yourself a nice Excel spreadsheet like I did. Problem solved.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I bought Quicken 2017 in February 2017 and it have been a constant battle. NOTHING in this program works correctly. EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF THIS PROGRAM IS DYSFUNCTIONAL. It takes hours and hours and hours to correct issues with my budget, my register, my bill reminders, my loan management, synchronizing with the Quicken app, only to have it all screwed up again the next time I try to use the software. DO NOT BUY.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I've been using Quicken since Quicken98 so been with them for awhile. I'm ok with paying them for use of a functional product and have been upgrading every 3 years since they started forcing this issue by terminating bank downloads as they did with Quicken2014 on 4/30/2017. I've been trying to clean up my QData file and get all the downloaded bank transactions accepted into the registers before upgrading. However, have so many I decided to see how the upgrade would go while keeping some of the entries unmatched, which was not recommended on the quick community.

That turned out to be a non-issue as Quicken 2016 has worked horrendously out-of-the-box (I went with Quicken 2016 rather than 2017 as I read that in Canada, users were being forced to pay annual subscription fee which I was not keen on and wary of even though I am in the U.S. Did a test install of Quicken2016 on a separate Windows 7 PC before putting it on my main machine. This has turned out to be a nightmare. First, after installing Quicken, converting my QData file from 2014 and then trying to open the file, Quicken started repeatedly prompting me for my Intuit userID and password. No matter how many times I reset the password on Intuit.com, I would get an error that an unexpected error had occurred and to please try again later.

When I searched to see whether others had encountered this, I discovered that others had and that there was a "Mondo" patch to install to address this. (Patch seems to be a virtual re-install of the whole product and also blows away your existing qdata file, it seems, or at least it needs to be re-converted). After applying this patch, now Quicken 2016 crashes after I enter the QData password before displaying the file. I finally decided to create a new QData file and discovered that that crashes as well so basically the program is useless. Am trying to re-install from scratch now again, though after reading all the other horrendous reviews of Quicken 2016 and 2017 on here and how people have given up on Quicken, I am sorely disappointed. I'm wondering if I will need to just continue using Quicken 2014 without the convenience of downloaded bank transactions, just to have a usable version of the program.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I've had Quicken 2017 about 3 weeks. CD said I had to buy a new quicken so I did. Three and 1/2 hours later the support rep finally got quicken to work on 3 of my 18 files. The other 15 They can't get to work. Now I try to reconcile and it says I have 42 trillion dollars. I can't get it to reconcile anymore. It won't sync with my 3 banks anymore says internal quicken error, got on the phone for quicken help. It said 45 min. I waited 4 1/2 hours, then it cut me off. I wish I could cut quicken 2017 off. It doesn't work... Don't buy it.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have been a Quicken user since 2002. And like most here the frustration is reaching its peak. Over the past 2 years I have had issue over issue. From my planning budget changing numbers each time I log in to my bank accounts not syncing to now the cloud sync not working. I have been on the phone with tech support over 5 times and have been online support over 10 times. I am tired tired tired of this software constantly having issues.

In the last two years Quicken has worked with no errors a total of about a week. I have purchased new versions each year for the last 3 years in the hopes they fixed previous issues but no. They have just increased. They have seemed to abandoned this side of the company and perhaps have concentrated on just Turbo Tax since that is a majority of their revenue. Please if someone has a recommendation on another budgeting software so I can walk away from this once and for all I will be forever indebted to you.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have used Quicken, of and on since the mid-90's. I did switch to MS-Money because the interface (GUI) was more informative, better organized, for my needs, but MS apparently wasn't making enough money from Money, to keep that in production. Quicken has seemed to be changing its orientation to supporting mobile subscribers for at least the last three years and this has led them to do several things. 1) Is that they want a one size fits all package and 2) the average mobile device does not have the power, esp. data capacity to keep data local. So it seems that whether or not users have authorized Intuit to have their data online, having Quicken constantly check for an intuit password can give them access to all data regardless of the customer's consent. (That is just my suspicion, but it seems logical). I do not like that at all.

I track accounts in at least a dozen institutions with Quicken, since 2016 Quicken has had repeated problems with my primary bank, to the extent that I have quit trying to fix it. I just download the files direct from the bank and then import them. Now that was a pain in the rear, time consuming, but recently they have added a new kink, or perhaps I didn't notice, because I wasn't always on the road. I can no longer download and import later, unless I am on-line at the later time when I try to import. Totally unsatisfactory and it seems to verify my theory that basically they just want access to my financial data.

Last year Intuit sold Quicken to H.I.G. Capital, a financial management company. Now why would such a company find purchasing Quicken an attractive deal. I'm thinking it isn't the cash flow software sales is providing. There is no adequate replacement that I have found, so it seems I will be downsizing my financial footprint, and use one of my banks capabilities to track everything else. I don't like that, I'd prefer more control, but Intuit already ruined that.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I have used Quicken for my banking for over 10 years. Never had problems with it. Always backed up my work to a 5" floppy, then 3.5", then flash drives. Started having problems April 2016. I decided to upgrade to 2017 thinking it would solve the problems. Bad? I saved my work, only to find reconciled items were no longer reconciled. Items I entered in my check register disappeared. I had to re-enter a month or more several times. Just yesterday, prior to a reconcile, I input a new item. While in reconcile, added two more. Neither of these items showed up on the reconcile screen.

Impossible to balance accounts using Quicken. Even previous balances and dates changed! Finally, today, I made the time to get this taken care of once and for all. If you don't have unlimited minutes, don't even think of phoning due to wait times. Oh, Chat? Nothing like getting bumped off three times. Found them on Facebook and sent a detailed message. Oh, sorry... you can't save to flash drives, not even the Cloud. It has a tendency to corrupt files. I don't want personal stuff sitting on my hard drive -- not in this day and age. For over 10 years it saved things just fine. I will never use Quicken again. For the rest of the year, I will set up an Excel spreadsheet. Thanks (not) Quicken.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Like many people, I have been using Quicken for over 10 years and the earlier versions were pretty user friendly. Seems like lately they are making changes and not finding out any negative effects from the updates. It is July 14 2017 today, and I finally gave up trying to use this monstrosity. I get lots of double entries and this could be since I want to download my information from my Credit Union manually and not have Quicken really be in the mix. After the last download, my frustration for this program finally hit its peak. Right now it is not worth trying to clean up to keep it working. I have entries from probably 2005 or earlier, and most of the early years are OK, but in the past couple of months it is getting far worse.

I have the very latest updates installed on this program, and they only create more problems that they solve. You can see from most of the posts on this site that current versions of Quicken are almost unusable. Right now, I am looking for the best program that will resolve the type of problems that Quicken have come up with. I would be will to pay up to $50 for a good program that does not have such a complicated interface that it makes it almost impossible to use. Right now my copy of Quicken 2016 is so screwed up that it is probably unrepairable.

It seems almost impossible that they could so screw up a program in just the past few years. I had Quicken 2010, 2013, and now 2016, and it seems that each new version brings on unresolvable problems. It is time for me to move on from Quicken and am going to be seriously looking in 2107. Seems like all the ratings that you see for Quicken must be by people that don't actually use it. If you own and use any of the recent versions of Quicken, you quickly learn what all of the problems are.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Quicken 2014 was functional, I could download transactions and all operations were fairly quick. I was forced to upgrade to Quicken 2017 because download transactions stopped working. After upgrading to 2017, I'm facing MANY problems. Running this on Windows 7. First of all, Quicken freezes for 30-40 seconds at start before it asks for password. Secondly, when I click on download transactions, it freezes for 30-40 seconds before moving forward. Finally, the transaction download hangs on "Updating financial institution information..." and does not move forward at all (I've waited as long as 1 hour). It sucks that Intuit forces customers to upgrade its software, and then provides a poor product on upgrade.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Quicken 2016 didn't download checking transactions and gave message "Oops, no internet connection" until I downloaded update R 12 (Mongo), then it crashed when I tried to download transactions and even when I try to just open Quicken at times. Customer service has given me the runaround for a long time now that always ends with a restart that breaks the tech-chat connect with them claiming "This will probably make it work", and it never does. What a scam!

Original review: July 10, 2017

This product is going to drive me back to pen and paper. Quicken 2017 was a wonderful product: intuitive, straightforward, double-entry running balance accounting. Simple, simple, simple. Now it sucks. Crashes, can't get a running balance, screws up reconciled transactions by deciding they aren't, complicated entry method, lousy preference parameters... well, why go on. I fortunately kept my old Quicken on my old computer and went back to using it. The new version looks like it was designed by 12 year olds who a) never balanced a checkbook and b) don't understand simple accounting. Customer service also sucks.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I had been using Quicken for years. Actually I had been using Quicken 2012 forever. Never had an issue. One day I decided I should probably update the software. I purchased Quicken 2016 and WOW. Talk about a total failure. This is the worst piece of professional software that I have ever come across. Did they give this to a bunch of college kids for a freshman project?

I have been using this software for about a year now. The screens don't size to the window - when you open a window it is off the screen and you have to close it, scroll down and open the window again to select what you need. That is Computer Science 101. The budgeting software doesn't work at all. It will not find items from within the database itself. The options that were in 2012 are not in 2016. The bill pay and reconciliation features - which I would assume are the crux of this piece of software (and I use the term software oh so lightly) are quirky at best - not consistent at all. Total disappointment and unbelievable how a company could put this garbage on the open market. I am looking for a new piece of personal finance software to use. Lost all faith in Intuit as a company.

Original review: July 4, 2017

Quicken 2017 has devolved into total garbage. What happened to this product. It use to be easy to use and very good! Over the past year it has turned into total garbage. It constantly has sync errors with the bank and I've spent more time trying to fix software problems, deactivating, re-activating, re-downloading, fixing the software than I can believe.

The support is pathetic. You have to wait forever, When you finally get someone to chat with you, they waste an hour and a half trying to solve the problem and then the whole chat service goes offline! The 24 hour/7 day a week support service crashed and went off-line! I've been with Quicken for many, many years. But, I've had it and they have lost a long-time customer.

Original review: June 12, 2017

QuickBooks JUST KILLS ME! How can they just roll out a completely new look for the GUI and NOT TELL ANYBODY THAT IT IS COMING! TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!! In my opinion, the new format SUCKS and looks like an amateur webpage with more text and fewer app-like features. How can they possibly step backwards and implement a GUI that looks like this??? It is un-intuitive (no pun intended), no settings to change display size or amount of info that can be displayed on one screen! Have to scroll up and down to see the many different projects I have to enter time for. Why can Intuit just leave things alone, or AT LEAST tell users that this kind of dramatic change is going to be rolled out instead of just slapping the user up in the side of the head with it???

Now on to my Quicken 2017 iOS program. Got it up and running 6 months ago. All of sudden, two weeks ago it can no longer download Visa transactions from my Wells Fargo account. I've tried everything. This is due to the Quicken software update that they recently performed. Broke it. They did not test the update, not do they care it is broken. The only way I can fix it is to establish a new Visa account from within Quicken, connect to the back again, and then download 90 days worth of transactions from the bank, then MANUALLY copy older transactions over to the new account, reconcile, adjust balance, on and on! Lastly, it is impossible to email Intuit with any issue you have. You can call them and spend hours on the phone waiting for a service rep but they DO NOT WANT your email correspondence! It is that simple! Totally dissatisfied with Intuit on all levels and for all of their crappy products!

Original review: June 11, 2017

I am new to planning and budgeting, and I have been tinkering around with various versions of rather complex spreadsheets to keep track of the money flow. I have resisted Quicken in recent years, and now, I know why. I downloaded the deluxe version as I have some retirement accounts and a mortgage to track and started connecting to my accounts. This part was off to a good start as I saw the transactions had been entered, so I went off to the budget area to start sorting out. This is where things started to go bad and quickly.

First, when simply changing a value for a budget area: crash and report dialogue box shows up. Ugh. Restart the program and start tinkering with categorizing a budget. Quicken randomly just closes. Really? This is not good as I have no patience for this because unsaved work and whatnot. Reopen Quicken and within just a few minutes, 3 more random closes. That's it. That's all I needed to experience to see this was going to be a waste of $60+ dollars if I continued to use and fight the bugs. So, off to their website to find the terms for the full refund. We'll see how that goes. In the mean time, I will be quite happy entering data the old-ish fashion way into my spreadsheet.

Intuit - Quicken Company Information