3.54/5

534 Intuit - Quicken Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have been an avid Quicken user since the days of DOS and diskettes, and have used QBP since it came out. My latest version Quicken 2016 ver. was cancelled and I was told to upgrade. I did upgrade, but after 2 weeks the bill pay account still has not been activated by the third party company that admins QBP (even though my legacy account is still active with them). QBP support has offered no solutions, and cannot provide me with a timeline. Very sad, for I really do like the Quicken software and the old services.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Quicken has blocked my access to data from my financial institution using 2016. I can not believe this is legal, but until it is resolved I needed a solution. I found GNUCash and for my simple tracking of checking, savings and credit cards it is perfect. Free, free, free.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I have used Quicken for many years, upgrading when forced by company changes. The 2016 version is more than I need and I do not wish to upgrade. Quicken has now intentionally blocked access to downloads from my financial institutions. The file downloads into my computer but the Quicken software now prevents me from accessing it saying the institution cannot be verified! I know this is my institution, my account information and believe Quicken should have no right to prevent me from continuing to use the software. I purchased it, my institution is happy to send me my information in the correct format, Quicken now actively blocks access to it. I cannot believe this is legal. If this does not change, in the future, I will not purchase any of the many products I have been using from this company. This is borderline extortion! Stay away from products from this company in the future!

Original review: May 7, 2019

When making new entries Quicken will not save them. When you go to reconcile the entry is not there. Quicken 2019 is horrible, I’ve been using Quicken since 1998 and this software is a joke and I only use it as a checkbook. Anyone have any suggestions?

Original review: May 6, 2019

I've used Quicken since 1992. The new owners, HIG Capital LLC, are an unknown. Why would I "trust" them with my financial data (not to mention it will now be accessible only online)? As it is, since updating to Quicken 2016, I can no longer view daily changes to my portfolio holdings. The new option is less than this takeaway, it is no option - I refuse to be extorted into paying annually for the privilege of allowing bandits full access and control over my private financial records. As others have reported, I've generally updated the software every 3-4 years and depended on it to remain useful. Now it is nothing more than a checkbook ledger. RIP, Quicken.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: May 5, 2019

I have been a faithful user of Quicken since the mid-1990s, and have upgraded every three or four years. I have always found the constant pop-ups trying to push me into an upgrade an annoyance, especially since I paid for the program. One doesn't expect a paid version to continuously bombard you with ads for product upgrades or enhancements. This has led me to continue to look for an alternate program, which I would gladly purchase if there was one that was viable. It seems the only program that would do what Quicken does is MS Money, and it was discontinued.

What really makes me irritated, however, and the reason for my low rating of the product, is that now, three years after voluntarily paying full price for the 2016 version of the program, it has stopped allowing me to update my accounts and is forcing me into a subscription model. While this might make perfect sense for the new investment group that owns Quicken, I do not expect a product that I paid for to just stop working because the mother company wants more money from its users.

I have no problem with subscription-based products, but whether to buy into a subscription is part of the decision when one chooses a product and forcing a user into a subscription after paying for the full product is nothing short of extortion. Imagine if you purchased a new car and three years in it simply stopped running because General Motors decided they were only going to do monthly rental programs or annual leases -- how would that fly with you? It leaves me with a pretty bitter taste in my mouth. If I can find an alternative product I will certainly do so.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I've been using Quicken since the 1990s. I would upgrade between every 2 years to 4 years depending on new features added. I have had the 2017 version of Quicken since late 2016. It has served me well until about a year ago when I started having problems doing the automated "Update Accounts" with my bank. The new company's Support tried to help me but it has never worked right since. There are simple things that once worked and now do not, like in Bills, when selecting a bill with the options to show me the average for the last x number of payments, it is not even close to the average.

Maybe it's fixed now in a newer release, however, it now appears that if I upgrade they want to lock me into a subscription where I must pay for one or two years or lose functionality after the subscription runs out. This, of course, would force an upgrade or enter all your data manually!! That, to me is totally unethical!! After nearly 30 years of loyal use of Quicken, I will be looking elsewhere for a product I can install on my computer and still download transactions from all of my financial institutions WITHOUT a subscription!! If none exist, I will revert to the old manual method!! I really despise these strong arm tactics of subscribe and update or else!!

Original review: May 2, 2019

I have used Quicken since 1996. I purchased Quicken Home and Business in Oct 2016 directly from Intuit as a download. When Intuit separated from Quicken shortly after, apparently the download link went with them and it no longer works. Intuit won't do anything for me because it's a Quicken product. Quicken said had I purchased it from Quicken, I'd be able to reinstall no problem but since I purchased from Intuit, they can't help me unless I buy a supported product. I'm asking for the product I purchased, not for support. I found this unacceptable so I tried all kinds of ways to get through (chat, phone, Facebook) but they won't budge. They just keep telling me to upgrade. It's the lack of good will that I have the most problem with. I wasn't aware that the software itself has been on the decline until I started down this road; my experience has always been so good. I won't be using Quicken going forward.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I have used Quicken since the early 90s. The last version I purchased was the 2016 edition that existed solely on my local machine. I did not want to upgrade because I still do not want ALL of my financial life potentially available to attack and distribution. I've been getting the messages about the "download" feature disappearing from Q2016 for a while now. I figured I'd tough it out and do the manual download of QFX files and then import them. Tried that today for the first time and discovered that IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO Import ANY data going forward. Intuit has purposely sabotaged the import feature in order to extort my purchase of a subscription to their software. What happens next? If they jack the subscription rates and I don't pay, will I ever get to access MY financial data again? GnuCash here I come...

Original review: April 24, 2019

I have used Quicken forever. I struggled with Quicken products for Mac - clearly not a focus for Intuit. Now, they intentionally took away our ability to sync bank and credit card info AFTER we paid for the product, forcing us into submission - subscription. I am really ok with subscription models, if they are priced reasonably and if there might be a carrot to get us there. Feels like typical Intuit being heavy handed.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have used Quicken for over 20 years and, until 2 years ago, never had to call Quicken Support. In December 2017 it stopped downloading my transactions from my many financial institutions. After spending many hours over a period of weeks I was informed that it must be a problem with my computer and Quicken. I was told I had to start from scratch and could not carry my past transactions with me. It created chaos with my financial records.

I limped along for another year when I was told I had to buy the 2019 software. It worked for a couple of months and then stopped downloading transactions again. I've been on the phone with them for hours in the last week including two hours today. I was told it must be my computer. I have taken my Mac to Apple and also had a Mac consultant come to my home. It's not my computer. Finally I found the Consumer Affairs website and discovered that I am FAR from alone. I am so frustrated that Quicken wasn't honest with me as clearly many people are having issues with their software. What a waste of money and time. Looking elsewhere for a new product.

Original review: March 21, 2019

In 2017 I purchased a support agreement for three years which was to include upgrades and support for Quicken. On Tuesday March 19, 2019 when I sought the help of Taksa Technology they refused to honor the three year agreement and wanted to sell me another agreement for several hundred dollars. If the company will not honor an agreement entered into in 2017 for three years why would I be foolish enough to do so again.

On the same day, I spoke with a representative of Ninja Development to have an anti hacking software application on my computer looked into as the icon to launch it had disappeared. This is a software plan with a "Lifetime" duration obtained in 2018. Instead of addressing the matter the representative sought to sell me a computer software package for nearly $1000.00 to remove a number of hacker items. The software I purchased in 2018 apparently did not do the job. I feel that these support units for Quicken are a fraud and not worth the investment in time and money. Beware!!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I've been using Quicken since 1992/93 and have been happy to praise and recommend it to others. Unfortunately the quality has been degrading over the last few versions (probably started around Quicken 2015). It freezes constantly especially after downloading transactions. Refuse to upgrade to subscription version until I have confidence product stability has approved. Starting to review alternatives.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I've been on Quicken since I had a computer in the early '90s. 2019 has me really frustrated. First it removed an account. When I tried to reinstall the account, it wouldn't accept it. Now it has my reminders screwed up. Won't let me attach reminders to the right account. Someone isn't doing their job.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I have used Quicken since early 80s. It has been a great product until version 2019. The function to download banking transactions in native exchange (CAD or USD) was removed and no longer supported. This effectively eliminates this product for any Snowbirds and cross border banking customers. Quicken Management have lost sight of their market and customers' needs. Very unfortunate. I strongly recommend you do not upgrade to the newest version unless they get this functionality restored.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I opened my Quicken program and discovered after doing a quick account update that most of my accounts had been duplicated. The original accounts all had double transactions in them and all the totals were off. I phoned the helpline and was told my file was corrupt and was asked to subscribe to their data protection plan for $199. for 3 years or $299 for 5 years or $349 for lifetime. Seriously? I asked if he was going to fix the current situation or was he telling me I have to pay to have it fixed? He then told me he may be able to get me a discount since I was a long standing customer.

Not acceptable I say! He then proceeded to "help" me. He told me I had corrupted the file and that my online searches have resulted in me giving access to an unknown source that caused the file corruption. Not acceptable! No this did not happen. I have very good protection on my pc and I do not use the mobile app nor do I sync it with any other source. I only use the program on my home computer. He tried to tell me that if I log in from other locations it can leave it open to the corruption. This hasn't happen either. He tried everything possible to blame me and my actions for the corrupted software. I told him I know others are having the same issues. We cannot all be doing the same thing wrong.

Even if by some odd chance we were it would still fall back on Quicken for having software that would allow such a thing. I am not a newbie. I knew what my Quicken is about. I've been using it for years and have never, until this latest update, had any such issues. It should be criminal what they have done and are continuing to do. They blame the consumer and ask you to pay hundreds so keep it from happening again. Smells like a scam to me. Now I have years of my financials tied up in software I cannot use. His final answer to me was to purchase a new computer and call them back to make sure it's done right this time and to not use the software until I do. Not acceptable! I feel it's time for a class action lawsuit and some government intervention here.

Original review: March 3, 2019

My wife and both were both using Quicken 2016 Deluxe. Both of us have desktop computers with separate portfolios. Quicken notified me in February, 2019 that I had to upgrade to the 2019 version because they would no longer support such and such. So I did. Installation was quick and easy. And then we both had problems with the accuracy of the data downloads from investment firms, banks, credit card companies, etc. My wife spent hours with Quicken support and the only answer she got with the accuracy of her investment downloads was to delete the accounts and reestablish them.

Of course all her previous records were lost. I took the easy way out and made balance adjustments on all my accounts to bring them in line with my real balances. Now, they brag about all the new features, which, in my opinion, amount to nothing. Why these problems? They have been in business for 25 years or so and by now their programmers should just be tweaking things, not starting all over. Every time I've "upgraded" to Quicken new releases I have had issues. Quicken is easy to use and there are a number of things you can do with it. BUT if things do not work as they are supposed to, is it really easy to use? It is eventually forcing me to find another software program to manage my money. I give Quicken a very low rating and advise others who are purchasing this new version to be wary of problems.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I have been using Quicken since its inception. The product was usable until it Intuit sold it. I was using Quicken 2017 and Bill Pay for $9.95 per month. Was notified that I needed to upgrade to Quicken 2018 annual subscription of $64/year. Appeared to be a good deal and I rely on it to pay all my bill and track financial assets. I signed up in November 2018. After not seeing the promised micro deposits for 30 days I called support and the nightmare began. They told me I never responded to the encrypted email that was to used to validate my identity and now I needed to email copies of my driver's license, proof of social security eligibility and a copy of my electric bill for proof of residence.

After a couple of weeks I called and found there was a problem with my routing number which I corrected. Waited again then receiving notification that my account had be deactivated due to lack of activity. It’s now January and I had to apply again for and resend all the identity verification documents. I call in early February for a status and was told I needed to wait another 7-10 days for processing. I call after the 10 day processing window and was told they have a large backlog of requests to process and they would open a ticket to escalate activation of my account.

So today is February 23, it’s been almost 3 months trying to get my 2018 bill pay activated. I can still send out bills and am still being charged $9.95 per month but am wondering how much longer this will go on. This is the worst customer experience I have ever had with any computer based product. If you are not a Quicken user and are looking for a product to manage your finances, look at other industry products and avoid the headaches of Quicken support.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

As many have reported, the product becomes quirkier over time. The file became corrupted once and I luckily had a backup from not long ago. Switched to the subscription and, even though I've used BillPay for many years, they asked me for an amazing array of personally-identifiable info because I was switching to a new subscription (even though I was a long-standing customer). On a regular basis, financial institution downloads stop working. It's just a nightmare now and I need to move on to something else.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I've been using Quicken for 15 years. It used to be reliable and accurate. With each iteration the errors from missing transactions to "unidentified securities" have increased. As well as limited functionality such as format limitations. The last two times I contacted support they were unable to answer a single question. I am now actively looking for an alternative.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Have used Quicken for MANY years. Upon notice from them that 2018 version will no longer be functional in a couple of months, I completed the required "upgrade" to the 2019/subscription version. Quicken is functional for tracking funds with following exceptions: On two occasions download of bank transactions has missed deposits, requiring manual correction. Bigger issue is that BillPay is non-functional so cannot pay bills through Quicken (and sadly, my USAA bank does not integrate with Quicken for bill payment via DirectConnect).

Per instructions from Quicken I created a new BillPay account on 1/6/19 and laboriously re-entered payee data from my old BillPay account. As of 2/9/19, the 2 "microdeposits" they require for account activation have not been received. I was first told this would take about 3 business days. In subsequent calls to support I was told by techs and supervisors that it would now take 10 business days, then was told a "ticket" was created and should be resolved within a couple of hours, then was told they were still trying to resolve tickets from December, then was told they did not know how long it would take, then was told they would credit my Quicken subscription for one month due to delayed activation, then was told to go online to my old BillPay account where I can still pay bills for the additional fee of $9.95 per month till they get the new BillPay working with the 2019/subscription version of Quicken.

Overall, it's been over one month since I upgraded Quicken and created the new BillPay account and still cannot used Quicken to pay bills. I'm still hopeful they get issues resolved as I prefer Quicken to the alternatives. But at this point, if you plan to use Quicken BillPay for online bill payment, DO NOT purchase or upgrade to the subscription version. As evident in the many reviews here, Quicken/BillPay is broken... Tech support at Billpay and Quicken are helpless and have no guess when the problems will be resolved.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been using Quicken 2015, any problems, I get the same excuse... "We are no longer supporting that version". I am hearing all these problems with the new versions and really don't want to go to a new version. Yes, I get the 20% off, 40 % off new versions, however mine works pretty well and I don't use online banking, just checkbook and invoicing. Each time they want to update my account I click "NO". Well, today I try to sign on... my records are gone!! I have a critical update to Quicken that has been downloaded onto my system without my knowledge. I am beyond angry, this is hijacking my personal files!! I paid for 2015. It is mine and Quicken should not be able to hide? Or destroy? my files!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I purchased Quicken 2018, and I am glad an own Parallels, as Quicken 2018 for Mac does not come close to the Windows versions I have used for years. I am looking at alternatives, as Quicken for PC is my only use for VMs. I had purchased the Mac version two years in a row, hoping it would someday match the PC version. Fortunately, this purchase allowed you to download Mac or PC version, so I did not waste Money like in the previous years. https://bit.ly/2HjUWFv.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I too have been a user since my first computer (DOS) in 1995. This latest upgrade to "Deluxe" (5.10.00) has frightened me. How can different reports with the same category labels (Income from a particular source - supposedly directly from my bank) have different amounts in the same category on different reports? WOW. I can't believe the sloppiness. If the banks revised their programs allowing mistakes like this, God help us. No wonder the Quicken "free" caller support lines are non-stop busy.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have used Quicken since the mid-90's. I used to love it but now it seems to always have issues and I'm always "logging-in" to their site for heaven knows why. Right now; 1.) the Reports screen won't open properly, 2.) stub-tabs, such as "Bills, Income, Transfers" and "Projected Balance" disappear every time I move to a different section. To fix it, I then have to go to "View" and change another menu. Very frustrating. 3.) Also, the budget graph and the "total" under the planning section are totally worthless. What in the heck are they showing you?! Plus, the "Everything Else" is also a big annoyance. I would suggest to the designers that they should actually use the product before using it.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I used to use Microsoft's Money software, which worked well. But eventually I upgraded my laptop and since Money had been discontinued, I purchased Quicken software: the desktop version. I have inconsistent internet in my area, so this new subscription model that everyone is moving to doesn't work for me as a business owner. I was able to import my Money files, so I started out ok with Quicken. But as years have gone by, the program has downloaded duplicate entries, or missed a ton of entries, and though I have it set to base reconciliation on my bank balance and actual transactions, nothing matches. I have to re-categorize everything constantly and the worst problem is that it considers every cross-account transfer to be income, so my reports make it look like I'm rolling in dough.

I have to use a calculator to go through and deduct every transfer in order to get an accurate cash flow figure. As years go by, these little things add up to a giant mess. My Quicken accounts bear little resemblance to my actual accounts and the reports it generates are useless. I end up pulling out my old paper ledger and figuring everything out manually. I'm looking at Quickbooks, but I'm really frustrated that I paid for Quicken software and it did nothing but make a huge mess of my accounting.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Updated on 01/31/2019: One week after cancelling, Quicken Bill Pay withdrew money from my account for a bill but never paid it. It was my phone bill, so now I've paid my phone bill twice but the quicken payment was not received. Another forty minutes on the phone with Quicken Bill Pay Support (in the Philippines) and I was told "yes, that money came out and didn't go to a bill, but we'll put it back in six days."

I would not recommend ANYONE do business with Quicken. Their product is not worth the time, money, or stress. I thought that by paying a company a subscription that I would at least be paying for customer service, but that was not the case. I have received better and faster support from companies that don't charge anything. In my opinion, quicken should stay in the 1990's when it was a worthwhile product.

Original Review: Decided to subscribe to Quicken and their online bill pay. In three weeks, I had a late payment and two bills process early resulting in two overdraft fees from my bank. I called Quicken support, and they said their software isn't smart enough to avoid giving my bank account a negative balance. While my company's payroll was a day late, I feel like financial software in charge of managing my accounts and paying my bills should be able to avoid negative account balances as a result of their automation. Customer support did not care, and cancelled my account rather than work with me and my issues.

Quicken Bill Pay was not so easy to delete. They had me on the phone for 30 minutes telling me I would be charged for their bill pay service regardless of how it was functioning or whether I would use it. I was speaking to bill pay support as I drove down to my bank to close my account to prevent them from charging me when they finally admitted that I was in a trial period anyway. Turns out 30 minutes of bluster and I was correct after all (after demanding to speak to a supervisor 3 times and being told no). I will never use their shoddy service and will loudly share my experience with anyone who will listen.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I recently purchased a new laptop and wanted to download my Quicken to it. I went to the Quicken website, signed in, went to my account and hit download from the purchase list. I noticed it stated I purchased it on 7/8/18. I had used my Quicken last in 2016 but wanted to start utilizing it with my new laptop. Once Quicken was downloaded and launched it was empty and then stated this version is no longer supported. Now it is useless. I chatted with customer support and all they said was, “We no longer support that version. Check out our 2019 version and upgrade.” I explained to them that I am not going to be putting any more money into their company.

The Original Cost of Quicken 2015 Home and Business was: Quicken Home & Business: Manage their business and personal finances in the same place. $114.99. Customers that had already purchased the full version of Quicken should have the option to update and not purchase a membership. It should hold the "grandfather Clause" but nope they apparently do not see it that way and wiped their long time customers. That is insane. I will no longer deal with a company the extorts their customers. Copied Directly From MY Account: Quicken 2015 Home & Business. Platform: Windows Download. Date Purchased: July 8, 2018. Download Quicken.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I've been using Quicken since 1995 with reasonable success. I upgraded to 2019 since Quicken Bill Pay is included with Quicken Premier saving me $120 and offsetting the now annual subscription required for Quicken. There were no substantial changes with Quicken 2019, except they changed some of the formatting. They increased the width of the entry lines with a relatively small font. Hence you see less on the page and it's harder to read, quite effective if they're trying to drop their older users. User experience aside I could live with it. The most disappointing issue is with Quicken Bill Pay. To get the 'free' Quicken Bill Pay, you need to establish a new account through Metavante Payment Services. They warned me up front not to transfer from the old services since it may take awhile to setup the new one. I'm glad I did... I started the process Oct 10, 2018 to setup the account which includes verifying your funding accounts.

However, they never verified the account with 2 small deposits as they stated. I called customer service and they informed me that they were not able to read all the documentation I originally sent since they could not clearly read the fax (this was the only way they would receive the docs, and yeah, I know, I'm older and I still had one). Regardless, I insisted they should be able to receive an email with pdf files and they eventually agreed. After another few weeks, no reply. I called again, and there was another issue with their account setup and they now required more documentation. But like the first issue, they do not send you any notice there is an issue, you only find out after you call them back.

I complied, and I re-sent them all the information and the customer rep entered the account information again. This was early December 2018. It's now Jan 16, 2019. Account still not setup and no response. I will not be making any further attempts to resolve. I'll continue using Quicken until my current subscription expires, and I'll need to continue paying the $10/month for the 'free' Quicken Bill Pay. But once it expires, I'm done with Quicken. This will be a very disappointing end to a product I've used for 23 years... Looking at some of the other reviews, I'm not alone.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have been unable to download my bank transactions. Everything is fine with USAA and the first download was a success. I have spent untold hours to incorporate all of the changes, without any company support. The company might consider a forum as support but I don't. My advice for support is to find another company and purchase their product. Support is a joke.

Intuit - Quicken Company Information