Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Intuit - Quicken

Intuit - Quicken
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.31/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

TurboTax is an online tax preparation and filing software developed by Intuit. With plans for every tax situation and a 100% accuracy guarantee, TurboTax offers comprehensive tax assistance and resources to consumers who want to file their returns electronically.

Intuit - Quicken Reviews

Original review: March 12, 2020

I have been a Quicken user and utilizing Bill Pay for 20 years. In November while using Quicken 2017 I lost the ability to use Bill Pay. No one at Quicken could answer why and at Bill Pay, I received a bit more explanation and that Quicken was rolling out the new subscription platform and this could be related. All Quicken could offer for repair was that I subscribe and that my Q2017 would no longer be supported beginning in April.

So, I subscribed to Quicken Premiere Q2020. Unfortunately, not disclosed before this purchase, Q2020 will not utilize Bill Pay and you must use Quicken's Bill Manager. None of this and what follows was disclosed in the offering advertisement. So, I subscribed to Bill Manager which when I got it set up I learned 1) you cannot schedule payment (you make payment the moment it is entered), 2) that you get very few uses of the payment system and have to pay to use the same number provided with the Bill Pay service, 3) that even if you did want to purchase additional bill payments - you can't as it is not yet offered, 4) none of the Payee information carries over to Bill Manager so if you have 50 accounts that you use from time to time you better have your accounts information available to set them up in Bill Manager, and so on.

In short - I canceled my Q2020 subscription and am looking for another software solution or I will just pay bills through my bank's online service. My loss was many hours of waiting online to talk to support agents (the promise in the advertisement that Premiere provides quicker support is not true unless you feel a minimum of 40 minutes for each call is faster). I do very much appreciate the sensitivity of the technical support people and their good character as they must be getting a lot of fallout from what must be a money grab scheme devised by a change in Quicken ownership. My advice, run away from Quicken 2020 until they have a working product to offer that will at least do as well as the previous product.

Original review: March 11, 2020

2 days ago I renewed my Quicken program. It used to really chafe me that they wanted renewal every 3 years. Now we are forced to renew every year which means they have tripled their revenue. In spite of that they are too cheap to hire support personnel. I wasted 2-1/2 hours today trying to get through to ask why they havent provided a download for the program I purchased. After all these years they seem to have gone out of their way screw up what should be a seamless procedure.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I used Quicken without too many hiccups for many years, although I chaffed at having to "upgrade" every three years in order to keep getting the same services I had been getting all along (ability to download transactions from my bank). More recently, the price has been going up, up, up to the point of now having to pay every year (subscription) for a product that seems worse, not better. SO... I jumped off the bandwagon last year and switched to another product and am glad I did. The part that really frosts me is that on their website, Quicken posts a "data access policy" that claims to guarantee that you can continue to access your old data files even if you don't have a current subscription. As soon as my version went out of date, I could not longer open my existing data files!

I chatted on-line with Quicken support and they said they could not help because they no longer support my version (2016 Deluxe) and would only help me (with the apparent Quicken ID/password issue) if I bought a new subscription! In other words, their "data access policy" is a huge LIE! I read that Intuit sold Quicken to a holding company a few years ago. If true... you can bet that all they're trying to do is maximize revenues (a la "subscription" pricing) in order to make more when they sell it down the road.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I use this program only to track my expenses manually. Not connected to my bank accounts. They made me renew last year because they said they were bought by a new company, and all old accounts were deleted. They said I would always have access to my data. This year, the problem is half my screen is taken up with banners telling me to renew so my data is there, but I have to navigate around their advertising to see it. Tech support cannot remove the banners. Do not buy this program. The company tries to rip off their customers at every opportunity.

Resolution response: Feb. 26, 2020

I received an email from the company stating that it was not my program that was at fault when it stopped working. They stated that the program would continue to work, but not be updated. I was able to reload the program on a different computer. This one using Windows 10 and it does seem to be working, although it tries to update, stops and gives me a message to the effect that update failed. I close the message and am able to restart the program.

While I am pleased that I was able to reload and continue to use the program, I can not update my star rating. I am still leery of the program shutting me out of my financial data. I am investigating alternatives, but the only one that does not seem to be subscription or cloud based is GnuCash. I am evaluating the program, but will stay with my Quicken 2016 as long as I can.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I used Quicken for 20+ years and was very pleased. Until now: 2016 quit, tried latest patch (no go), and then reinstall (blocked at Intuit login and seemingly no way to bypass). On-line support unable to help. Cannot get program to run or access financial data. Used 2016 because it was a standalone program and I do not use on-line banking services. I have little use for subscription based programs when I do not use the on-line services. Additionally, I do not like the idea of my data floating around the "cloud."

My needs are pretty simple; checking and savings accounts, credit cards, and basic investment accounts. Quicken served these needs very well until the last couple of years. I could tolerate the "upgrade nag," but the program stoppage is over the top. Needless to say, I am now searching for a replacement program, standalone and non-subscription based.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Long time user. Once sold by Intuit, went to hell. Spent countless hours with totally incompetent people to get it going, then it would update and break again. I only use it once a year doing taxes. For a while, they have splashed banners asking to update and threatening the connected services would be shut off. So what, I don't use any. This year, 2020, for tax year 2019, the simple import of a file already downloaded from my credit union that they don't even connect to, demanded a $45+ update. I understand that software companies are moving to subscription services but this is a total change of policy on the software I bought when it was not subscription on their side only. That's Bait & Switch fraud.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

It just turned 2020 so my Quicken 2017 is really just a bit over 2 years old. I paid full price for the product and was promised certain functions. Lo and behold, today I received an email from them stating that unless I pay them more money, in essence, they're rendering what I purchased from them useless. Hard to believe that a company, once owned by a reputable company, Intuit, does this to its client base and thinks they can do it with complete impunity. Of course, in addition to sharing my terrible experience with as many potential buyers of their product as I can, I will be moving onto Mint which offers pretty much the same functionality as Quicken but without the bait and switch.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I have had the Quicken Deluxe 2019 subscription for a year now and I have learned to hate it even more than I did with earlier versions. I have been using Quicken since it came out and it just continues to cause problems. I have tried replacing it with other software, free or paid for, and found most other products do not have the features I am looking for that Quicken has or they are more geared toward those with investments which I do not have. I have tried many of them only to discover they are lacking features that I am used to.

One problem I have had is the cloud service connected to the desktop app always seems to be down. The last three days I can't access it which I needed to do to delete old 2019 data that should have been deleted when I chose not to include it in my 2020 data after doing a Year End backup. It removed the 2019 from the 2020 data file, but as soon as I did an updated Cloud sync it put all that old 2019 data back into my current file. I have tried repeatedly to access that data online to manually delete it only that website has been down for several days. I even uninstalled the desktop app twice then reinstalled it using the latest copy on my account page. Nothing changed.

The only part I can access online is for my account information. While there I took great pleasure in not renewing my subscription which was already paid for with the two-year subscription. I wish I had only made it for one year only. I don't think that was an option. The only good thing about the subscription is once paid for I can continue using Quicken even if I do not resubscribe for the online/cloud services which for me are just a backup vault and that needs fixing. I found a lot of duplicates and unknown data on my Quicken Cloud account when it was working and there is no explanation telling what it is. I wanted to delete everything then do a new sync from the desktop app, but the website has been down since I tried to use it three days ago. Days ago I sent a screen capture to Quicken showing the problem, but haven't heard back yet.

Even though I still have another year of my subscription, I disconnected from their cloud and will continue to just use it locally without the interference with their screwed up cloud backup. I don't use any bank connections because I don't trust them and enter everything manually. However, I do save all my Quicken data externally to other services. Since I don't use Quicken on my phone then I really don't need the cloud sync and prefer it to be local especially when it isn't reliable. I vote they go back to offering the perpetual version for those of us who don't need or want the ability to sync online. As unsafe as the internet has become, and I have been victimized many times over the years for account compromises, who can trust your data online anymore? I sure don't and never will.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Within the past few months I have encountered a problem with my Quicken reconciliation which has me upset. I have been a Quicken customer for years and I have been very happy with the product. Now after I do my reconciliation, the starting balance is not reflective of the bank's ending balance. In the past the new starting balance always reflected the bank's ending balance but now something strange is happening and I have no idea why I am now getting huge adjustments and still starting off with an incorrect starting balance in my next month's reconciliation. In the past years I have never had a problem doing my account reconciliation. What is different with Quicken now?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Like other reviewers, I have used Quicken for more than 20 years and quicken bill pay. Never had any problems. Being forced to upgrade to Quicken 2019 Premier involves having to set up a new quicken bill pay account even though nothing has otherwise changed on my end. I am currently at 3 weeks, 5 phone calls, "tickets" issued that only result in the same response "they are very busy and behind". Thus.. I can't pay bills unless I continue the original plan (which is now supposed to be included in Quicken 2019 Premier). I am wondering if they just aren't getting new accounts activated so they can continue to collect on their monthly bill pay fees or what. They are NOT living up to their purchase agreement, and should be investigated. Do NOT purchase this product.. unless like many of us, you "have to".

Intuit - Quicken Company Information