1.21/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

493 Intuit - Quicken Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have used Quicken for many years and frankly not any major changes over the years to make it worthwhile owning. Most major finance software make major interface changes over the years, but Quicken has pretty much remained the same. It is still as buggy as ever and I can never get the bank updates to work consistently over the years. I primarily use it to balance my checkbooks, but now with the yearly subscription it is definitely not worth it. My personal opinion, "See you Quicken", don't need it anymore. I just downloaded Personal Capital and it is a great tool. It won't balance your checkbook, but what information!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I have used Quicken for many years and loved it. I never have used the link bills or auto payments, but I like to have good records of my bills, loans, bank accounts checking and savings. I have become very upset lately because when I look at my bills I see missing bills, also there are many duplicated bills. The balances are not correct. This is not helpful in tracking my finances but a lot of extra work constantly correcting quicken. When I bring Quicken up it takes forever to come up with the program, since I do not use any online features that does not make sense to me. Sad to say I once loved this program but will have to say goodbye to Quicken and just do everything by hand.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have used Quicken software and Quicken Bill Pay for 15+ years and upgraded to the annual premium Quicken with free Bill Pay. Beware, they don't transfer the old Quicken Bill pay account and you are forced to set up a new user ID and password and have to go through the verification process to get the account approved. Setting up bank accounts is not as easy as it was before when you entered the bank account information, routing number, waited two or three business days for micro deposits to the account, and the account was approved. That is not the case with the new version. You have to set up the account, then wait a couple weeks for them to send you a secure email which requires you to have to set up another password to view.

They require you to send in copies of voided check, driver's license, current utility bill, and your Social Security card or something to verify your Social Security number. The whole process is very confusing and time consuming. You would think they could use the old bill pay information and just transfer over my bank accounts. After almost a month, I think I am almost there with the conversion, but beware it will be time consuming so don't close the old bill pay account until the new one is up and running. You also have to go into the Quicken software and add Bill Payment with new user ID password to connect the software, so you don't get charged the monthly $9.95 fee. My conversion process to Quicken 2018, now 2019 software itself was simple and everything seems to be working.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Even though Intuit sold Quicken, I still like the software. They update it & address issues. It is a very good program that saves me a lot of time. If they didn't continue offering the software, I would be very disappointed. I don't know of any other options for software like this. Security is a top priority, & I feel they understand that.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Several days ago one of my Quicken accounts would not update via "one step update." Got error code 505 over several days. Eventually I called the Quicken telephone support line (per Quicken instructions). Call was answered quickly and when I explained the problem he immediately wanted online access to my system. It being Quicken I allowed it. He ran several utilities on my system and one after another he found a problem that he had a solution for - the first being my anti-virus software which he said was ineffective and suggested another which was not free. Secondly he found that this particular account's file was "corrupted" on my computer and as a solution I could buy an 8 (I think) or a 10 year subscription to Quicken for $199 or $299 that he would be happy to install.

I declined and he ended the call. I will not darken their telephone support line again and hope that I can find software that will not subject me to this kind of blatant hustle. If I could be done with Quicken I would be! The answer I found today. After right clicking on the file's name and bringing up the edit/delete window, going to the online tab and clicking on reset and then waiting a couple of minutes while Quicken contacts the system from where the data is downloaded, the problem was solved. All done in less than 2 minutes -not the 30 minutes I spent with this fellow while he was doing nothing but putting on a show while trying to sell me something. Note this is NOT Intuit. Intuit sold the software to these people and while Intuit was not perfect they did their customers no favor by selling Quicken to this new company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I updated my Quicken 2018 and the program kept crashing after. The first time I got customer service, I was put through paces of trying things for over an hour. When I suggested that I'd like to talk with the supervisor, the woman told me there was no point in that--the supervisors had no more tools than she did. When I said I'd still like to speak to one, the line went dead. After 15 minutes and no call back, I called again. Nothing was made of my complaint, but another woman tried to help me. Same stuff, same procedures for another hour. I got the same response when I asked for a supervisor. She refused and said there was nothing she could do. So, my only option seems to be to cancel Quicken and look for something else. This was a terrible experience and I'll never use their product again.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Long time and loyal Quicken user but this product has gone SO downhill in the past two years that I will surely need to find an alternative. Crashes, lost data, even the totals in the account don't add up right anymore. From a financial company? They should be issueing refunds, forgetting new features, and just getting the 'core' working right.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I have been using Quicken for years, I go to update to 2018. They need all this paperwork sent to them for verification. I understand that but I am still trying to get my account verified after sending them all the documentation and been waiting for over 2 weeks. Their support sucks!!! You ask to speak with a supervisor and they tell you hold on then come back and says no one is available. I have had it. Going out to another vendor... Their service and support is TERRIBLE. Don't get the application and try and use Quicken Bill Pay!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Under this new company - this software SUCKS. They need to sell it back to INTUIT to fix this crap. Cannot manually import transactions without their server getting involved. Wow - what a piece of caca. CS is no better - they cannot help fix it.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Twice Quicken 2018 has lost data. The first time was when I simply ran a One Step Update. The second when I added an existing checking account. Each time deposits were completely lost, categories missing, Payee names changed, and split info was lost. Quicken support solution: Make sure I back up my data!!! A financial software that can’t retain data is useless.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I've used Quicken over the years because it interfaces with TurboTax. That's it. Trying to get it to CORRECTLY download my banking information? Need I say more. So many errors. I like TurboTax, so, it looks like I'll have to MANUALLY enter my banking info as I go. A super pain in the **.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Awful, awful company. The software gets worse every year. More and more bugs. I'm a longtime customer since 1999 and I've been able to avoid database corruption in Quicken by avoiding any of the new features they've added in the last 5 years. Quicken knows it has most of its long time customers in a bind. We've spent years and years entering transactions/securities, etc and we don't want to lose all that history. And there is no real competitor that has all the features Quicken has. Also, the support forum at Get Satisfaction can be an exercise in frustration. The Quicken moderators regularly remove any posts that say anything negative about the product. Very, very insulting. They treat their customers like bratty children. I like most Quicken users can't wait to find some alternative. When that day arrives the customers will leave in droves.

Original review: July 30, 2018

This product (Quicken 2018) couldn't be more confusing or frustrating. I tried for 3 months to sync my transactions, manually tag and enter them, and separate my personal from my business expenses, and ultimately had to scrap all my work and redo it manually. I tried their support, web chat, online forums, etc. but the product and app are so confusing I couldn't figure out how to make it work. My advice is that if you struggle AT ALL with technology to STAY CLEAR of this product at all costs!

Original review: July 17, 2018

Quicken 2018 is definitely a downgrade from what Quicken used to be under Intuit. Unfortunately there isn't much choice in this software arena anymore. I'm guessing there will be soon given the number of 1 star reviews on this site. Arithmetic is easy, and should be a given for a finance software tool. And yet I find incorrect totals frequently that do not correct themselves until I log out and log back in. It means I can't trust the numbers I see, which is the most basic function of a home finance software platform.

But far worse than the bugs is the third-party Quicken Bill Pay partner (Metavante Payment Services). Not only is the service and user interface horrible, but they are blatant thieves. I decided to give them a try, but after a month I couldn't use the service anymore. It was just awful, and I almost missed a bill because I didn't get the notification. I never had those types of problems using my online banking, so I went back to their bill pay service. I canceled my Quicken Bill Pay, and thought that was the end. Two months later they took money out of my account. I never authorized it, and I had done nothing that would have warranted additional charges according to the terms & conditions I agreed to. I called and pointed out the mistake. They tried to show me where I was wrong, but the terms they showed me actually proved I was right. They opened a ticket for a refund. Keep in mind this is only $5. The claim was denied with no explanation.

The thought of them doing this to their thousands of customers and profiting from it irked me to no end, so I decided to follow up again. Once again I was directed to terms and conditions that backed up my position. I was told a supervisor would call me back. That never happened. I called again and they told me they would open another request for a refund. I told them that wasn't good enough, I needed to talk to supervisor. I've still not gotten a call back, and never got a refund.

The fact that a company would go to these lengths to keep $5 that they clearly do not have a right to tells you all you need to know about them. And based on the justification they gave me for not refunding the money, my hunch is that they are overcharging all of their Quicken customers. They get away with it because the dollar amounts are low enough that people don't notice or don't bother to go after them. It seems like this would be a great opportunity for a class action lawsuit. I'm volunteering to be a plaintiff if anyone wants to take the case just because they annoy me so much. And I hate to think of all the people they are stealing from because they aren't savvy enough to know they can usually pay their bills online for free through their bank.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I signed up for Quicken Premier 2018 because of the "FREE" Bill Pay feature. At the first month, they charged me 9.95, which I assumed was an error, but it turns out that I never finished the 4th step of the setup, which activates the service, so they charged me the full pay. The first customer service agent helped me get the service activated and then offered to reverse that charge, but 5 days later I got an email saying they would not reverse that charge.

2 weeks later, I received a charge for $5 for exceeding the 15 transaction limit per month. I don't have that many transactions, so I had to have the customer service rep walk me through the transactions. Turns out they count receiving a bill and paying the SAME BILL as TWO separate transactions. I have automated rules set up for everything, so they only handle each bill once.

Well, they got me for $15 and they refuse to give it up. I would stick with them, but I can't stand the nickel and dime attitude and the deceptive practices. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't delete everything from my bank bill payment system (FREE), because I'm going back to that. tl;dr I do NOT recommend Quicken Billpay. Maybe they'll get their act together one day, but this is not that day. I will likely also report this to the consumer protection bureau because I think it was very deceptive.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Like thousands of other customers using Quicken 2016 or 2017, Quicken stopped syncing with my bank after the software update in May. I spent five hours working with customer service without getting a solution. The whole time they acted like this was a problem they'd never seen before, but it turned out they'd already had lots of users complaining about it for weeks! Quicken offered lots of suggestions; some of them fixed the problem for some people, but some of us were still stuck. They finally released an update for 2016 with a promise that the 2017 correction would soon follow. But then they started getting complaints that the 2016 update created new problems, so they shut down the discussion, deleted most of the complaints, and posted an official statement saying the problem was corrected. Stay away from these incompetent crooks. By the way, Quicken is not a part of Intuit anymore.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Have used Quicken for many years, buying upgrades every 2-3 years. Slowly over the last 1-2 years it has become increasingly buggy, mainly with online connections. I used to assume this was due to additional security measures that financial institutions are implementing, but now I'm pretty sure the problem is Quicken. In the last 2 months I have spent dozens of hours resetting account connections, fixing the Quicken ID, re-downloading the program and reinstalling. At times it would connect, then it wouldn't. Finally seemed that I had everything working last week. Now I go to connect again and it acts like I am connected, but no transactions show. Then I start re-setting accounts and it gives me more errors. I am done with this horrendous product. Quicken you just lost a decades long user.

Original review: June 8, 2018

It is the most unfriendly program ever. I had the nice basic program on Windows but switched to a Mac and was forced into buying 2017 Quicken. My nightmare began. First, I just want to enter my transactions as I did before - no bank tie in. I can not get a balance to come up. I can not get the same company name to work for either spending and income. It can not differentiate between the two. So if I started at income for a company, it refuses to be spending. It changes balances. It adds all of my different accounts into one main balance and I can't make it go to just one account as I did.

I just want to see a running balance for the one account I am working on to ensure it matches my bank statement. I use this program to figure out what are tax write offs. But seriously, it may not be worth my time anymore. I HATE THIS PROGRAM. Stay away. I would like to find a simple do it yourself entry for my accounts as before. Too much big brother getting into our world today.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Has anyone else had a nightmare upgrading from Quicken 2015? In addition to disabling my online banking download and bill pay, I have had all kinds of issues since they ended support for Q 2015 this month. Here are some of the issues I face: 1. The program not opening up my file forcing me to spend time figuring out where the active file was kept. 2. Multiple messages to upgrade to Q 2018 even though I opted out of getting any more messages. 3. Not able to download transactions from bank anymore (I tend to think they disabled this proactively instead of just ending support). 4. Continuing to charge for Quicken Bill pay.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Ok, I finally was on-board with the need to update every three years. $50 every three years to be able to auto-download from my credit card companies was palatable. Now I see a message on my Quicken 2015 that my auto-download is ending and I must update. I go to their site and find that they have increased my cost by 300% or a total of $150 every three years instead of $50.

No way, no how will I pay an annual subscription fee. Quicken had a protocol where you would need to update about every 36 months (maybe a bit more). If you didn’t upgrade you lost the ability to automatically download from your credit cards. So it was about $50 every three years to upgrade. Now if I wanted to be frugal I would have just downloaded the files from each site and imported them. During a three year cycle, the annual subscription fee is equivalent to a 300% increase. Nope – I won’t do it. Quicken will not get a dime from me for any future upgrades and I will go back to the manual downgrade / import of the files. I sincerely hope that Quicken shot themselves in the foot with the fee scheme.

Original review: May 16, 2018

The company practices extortion. I own Quicken 2015 Deluxe. My desktop needed to be factory reset because of a corrupted file. ALL the software I own (quite a lot) installed without problem, EXCEPT for Quicken 2015 Deluxe. Only 3 years old, I own it, have the disc. They lock you out of reinstalling it. This is outrageous and should be illegal. Several of the software packages I DID reinstall were much older than Quicken's. I know all the story of Intuit selling off Quicken. I know they now RENT software for about $50/year. Accounting is simple.

Why do I need to buy more EVERY year from them. I understand they just need cash flow. I don't want to update stocks, do bill pay or anything online... I just want a reliable checking/savings program that works. I was a loyal Quicken customer for over 25 years, but now I can't use software 3 years old! Outrageous, How is this legal? I sever all ties with Quicken. NO MORE. The public needs to STOP this customer NO-SERVICE.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I have used Quicken (for Mac) since its inception and have upgraded regularly. Since upgrading to 2018 I have had nothing but problems. I have lost transactions, been unable to download from institutions and the last time I ran it the program was "saving to Quicken 2016," which I didn't think was even on my computer. I've spent hours with tech support but each time there is a partial fix and I manually update my registers something else goes haywire and I am back to lost info and am unable to reconcile through online. Does anyone have a better product for personal investing and home finance?

Original review: May 10, 2018

I have been using Quicken since 1994 and now they want to force me to upgrade and pay outrageous fees. I cannot use the version 15 which worked fine to my needs. Is this legal? Is there a way to stop them.

Original review: May 9, 2018

We have been satisfied, loyal Quicken customers since the early 90's. No more. Quicken-TurboTax-Intuit has exploded & gone separate ways. The purchasers of Quicken have decided to gouge the existing customer base. With little warning, Quicken disables all account downloads from existing financial accounts. The software will not link directly to financial institutions & will not import downloaded transaction files. This is Quicken's way of forcing customers to pay $60-$100 per year for their new subscription service... Which is buggy & doesn't work as advertised. We have worked with Quicken through many changes over decades. This heavy handed approach not only gives the finger to long standing customers. IT MOTIVATES US TO FIND AN ALTERNATIVE... ANY ALTERNATIVE... And spread negative word of mouth forever! Congratulations, Quicken. You have destroyed your customer base in one fell swoop.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Just installed Quicken 2018 Home, Business & Rental Property. Have used Quicken for decades. Cannot connect to financial institutions - connection error message. Chase gives me customer service phone number for Quicken. Customer service rep says the data was backed up "wrong" in Quicken 2015 before I installed Quicken 2018. I have to buy a support plan for $149/year to get help - after just buying the $149 product since the 2015 version would no longer download data. Seems like a huge, huge scam. Beware, beware, beware.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Been a client of both Quicken and Bill Pay since 1993. I received a notice. To maintain my bill pay service I needed to upgrade to 2018, which is now a subscription service. I bought the premier Quicken with free bill pay (found out later it's only free for a limited time). Per their instructions I needed to setup a new bill pay account, I did. Spent an entire month back and forth with customer service. I had to call them every few days to get updates. I was denied 2 days after my 30 day guarantee ran out to return my new quicken. No explanation, just, it's been denied. I have an excellent credit rating, go figure their denying me. After an hour I did get my money back. I'm done with Quicken.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I responded to a Quicken community comment and was censored. Quicken doesn't want the word to get out about how crappy their subscription service is, how their bill pay feature doesn't work, and how long time Quicken users are appalled about the subscription service, the cost, and the reviews are horrendously bad on service, product, features (that don't work), etc.. I replied to two posts (one in response by Quicken Harold that Mac users had a "slimmed down version") (and I noted that we didn't have a slimmed down price, which did not go over so well, apparently) and both were censored:

This reply has been removed by Quicken: Funny how we MAC users don't have a SLIMMED DOWN PRICE for the slimmed down version of Quicken. Just bought the 2017 Quicken for Mac today which should tide me over to 2020. Really pissed off about the subscription service, particularly since MAC users get such a slimmed down (read poor) product to begin with. Shame on Quicken/Intuit or whoever you are now. Not happy with this new "model" of ripoff.

This reply has been removed by Quicken: All these corporations are devolving into low life scammers, unfortunately. They are going to eventually reap their just rewards, i.e. bankruptcy. Replies can be removed by community moderators if they contain inappropriate content or private information. Quicken Tyka, a moderator for Quicken, gave this reason for the change: Violation of community guidelines: Argumentative, not being constructive with criticism. Continued misuse of the community will result in a ban.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My Merrill Lynch account cannot be added to "one step update". I manually press "update transactions" and it takes me to Merrill Lynch's sign in page. I sign in and hit "download to Quicken". The downloaded securities value is different than my current balance shown on my account summary at my online Merrill Lynch page. I am using the Quicken 2018, have made a few calls to the customer service. NO SOLUTION YET!!!

Original review: April 19, 2018

To all my friends and family who may be using Quicken for their finances. WARNING!!! We have been using Quicken for years but things have changed since. They are no longer owned by INTUIT. We upgraded to Quicken 2017 last year and have had security problems ever since. Calling the support line today they said that our security settings were corrupted DUE TO THE FACT WE DID NOT UPGRADE to Quicken 2018. They offered that if we paid a $250 ransom ($200 for support and $50 for Quicken 2018) they would restore our files. Again they said if we had purchased the latest version EVERY year when it came out it would not have happened. We will be getting off Quicken and I would highly suggest you do the same, they are no longer a reputable company and your financial data is at risk.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been using Quicken's versions since 1999. In the last few years every new version is buggier. Every couple of months I suddenly have issues downloading financial transactions from banking sites that were working just fine. Last Saturday, Quicken would not launch at all and just offered an error message that said "There is a problem with the Quicken installation. Uninstall and reinstall Quicken." Which is bad enough but to do that I need to access the installation program since I have the 2018 subscription. So I go to Quicken.com to log in to my account and on every browser I try I get this error messages: "This site can’t provide a secure connection. Signin.quicken.com uses an unsupported protocol. ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH. Unsupported protocol. The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite."

Three hours of phone calls later (four days have now elapsed) I still can't run Quicken and can't access my account to redownload the software to even try and fix this. Every technical support person has a different explanation for what's going on but none can help me. I asked to talk to a supervisor and been told there are none available. I asked for escalation and was told they have no way to contact them. This company is horrible and if I can ever access my financial information again, I will do everything I can to find an alternative to Quicken. This company should be out of business.

Intuit - Quicken Company Information