Intuit - Quicken

Compare Miscellaneous Companies

Research top Miscellaneous Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Yes we all know that Quicken has been going downhill for years and the 2017 version seems to have put them just below the Marianas trench. Basically the only thing it does well is use up hard drive space. It's slow to load, does not connect to financial institutions, and when and if it does it will not update properly. Way too many problems to list here. It would be nice if we could start a class action suit and get our money back. But we all know they'll buy their way out of it. Save your hard earned money from the thieves at Intuit and just make yourself a nice Excel spreadsheet like I did. Problem solved.

I bought Quicken 2017 in February 2017 and it have been a constant battle. NOTHING in this program works correctly. EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF THIS PROGRAM IS DYSFUNCTIONAL. It takes hours and hours and hours to correct issues with my budget, my register, my bill reminders, my loan management, synchronizing with the Quicken app, only to have it all screwed up again the next time I try to use the software. DO NOT BUY.

I've been using Quicken since Quicken98 so been with them for awhile. I'm ok with paying them for use of a functional product and have been upgrading every 3 years since they started forcing this issue by terminating bank downloads as they did with Quicken2014 on 4/30/2017. I've been trying to clean up my QData file and get all the downloaded bank transactions accepted into the registers before upgrading. However, have so many I decided to see how the upgrade would go while keeping some of the entries unmatched, which was not recommended on the quick community.

That turned out to be a non-issue as Quicken 2016 has worked horrendously out-of-the-box (I went with Quicken 2016 rather than 2017 as I read that in Canada, users were being forced to pay annual subscription fee which I was not keen on and wary of even though I am in the U.S. Did a test install of Quicken2016 on a separate Windows 7 PC before putting it on my main machine. This has turned out to be a nightmare. First, after installing Quicken, converting my QData file from 2014 and then trying to open the file, Quicken started repeatedly prompting me for my Intuit userID and password. No matter how many times I reset the password on Intuit.com, I would get an error that an unexpected error had occurred and to please try again later.

When I searched to see whether others had encountered this, I discovered that others had and that there was a "Mondo" patch to install to address this. (Patch seems to be a virtual re-install of the whole product and also blows away your existing qdata file, it seems, or at least it needs to be re-converted). After applying this patch, now Quicken 2016 crashes after I enter the QData password before displaying the file. I finally decided to create a new QData file and discovered that that crashes as well so basically the program is useless. Am trying to re-install from scratch now again, though after reading all the other horrendous reviews of Quicken 2016 and 2017 on here and how people have given up on Quicken, I am sorely disappointed. I'm wondering if I will need to just continue using Quicken 2014 without the convenience of downloaded bank transactions, just to have a usable version of the program.

I've had Quicken 2017 about 3 weeks. CD said I had to buy a new quicken so I did. Three and 1/2 hours later the support rep finally got quicken to work on 3 of my 18 files. The other 15 They can't get to work. Now I try to reconcile and it says I have 42 trillion dollars. I can't get it to reconcile anymore. It won't sync with my 3 banks anymore says internal quicken error, got on the phone for quicken help. It said 45 min. I waited 4 1/2 hours, then it cut me off. I wish I could cut quicken 2017 off. It doesn't work... Don't buy it.

I have been a Quicken user since 2002. And like most here the frustration is reaching its peak. Over the past 2 years I have had issue over issue. From my planning budget changing numbers each time I log in to my bank accounts not syncing to now the cloud sync not working. I have been on the phone with tech support over 5 times and have been online support over 10 times. I am tired tired tired of this software constantly having issues.

In the last two years Quicken has worked with no errors a total of about a week. I have purchased new versions each year for the last 3 years in the hopes they fixed previous issues but no. They have just increased. They have seemed to abandoned this side of the company and perhaps have concentrated on just Turbo Tax since that is a majority of their revenue. Please if someone has a recommendation on another budgeting software so I can walk away from this once and for all I will be forever indebted to you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

I have used Quicken, of and on since the mid-90's. I did switch to MS-Money because the interface (GUI) was more informative, better organized, for my needs, but MS apparently wasn't making enough money from Money, to keep that in production. Quicken has seemed to be changing its orientation to supporting mobile subscribers for at least the last three years and this has led them to do several things. 1) Is that they want a one size fits all package and 2) the average mobile device does not have the power, esp. data capacity to keep data local. So it seems that whether or not users have authorized Intuit to have their data online, having Quicken constantly check for an intuit password can give them access to all data regardless of the customer's consent. (That is just my suspicion, but it seems logical). I do not like that at all.

I track accounts in at least a dozen institutions with Quicken, since 2016 Quicken has had repeated problems with my primary bank, to the extent that I have quit trying to fix it. I just download the files direct from the bank and then import them. Now that was a pain in the rear, time consuming, but recently they have added a new kink, or perhaps I didn't notice, because I wasn't always on the road. I can no longer download and import later, unless I am on-line at the later time when I try to import. Totally unsatisfactory and it seems to verify my theory that basically they just want access to my financial data.

Last year Intuit sold Quicken to H.I.G. Capital, a financial management company. Now why would such a company find purchasing Quicken an attractive deal. I'm thinking it isn't the cash flow software sales is providing. There is no adequate replacement that I have found, so it seems I will be downsizing my financial footprint, and use one of my banks capabilities to track everything else. I don't like that, I'd prefer more control, but Intuit already ruined that.

I have used Quicken for my banking for over 10 years. Never had problems with it. Always backed up my work to a 5" floppy, then 3.5", then flash drives. Started having problems April 2016. I decided to upgrade to 2017 thinking it would solve the problems. Bad? I saved my work, only to find reconciled items were no longer reconciled. Items I entered in my check register disappeared. I had to re-enter a month or more several times. Just yesterday, prior to a reconcile, I input a new item. While in reconcile, added two more. Neither of these items showed up on the reconcile screen.

Impossible to balance accounts using Quicken. Even previous balances and dates changed! Finally, today, I made the time to get this taken care of once and for all. If you don't have unlimited minutes, don't even think of phoning due to wait times. Oh, Chat? Nothing like getting bumped off three times. Found them on Facebook and sent a detailed message. Oh, sorry... you can't save to flash drives, not even the Cloud. It has a tendency to corrupt files. I don't want personal stuff sitting on my hard drive -- not in this day and age. For over 10 years it saved things just fine. I will never use Quicken again. For the rest of the year, I will set up an Excel spreadsheet. Thanks (not) Quicken.

Like many people, I have been using Quicken for over 10 years and the earlier versions were pretty user friendly. Seems like lately they are making changes and not finding out any negative effects from the updates. It is July 14 2017 today, and I finally gave up trying to use this monstrosity. I get lots of double entries and this could be since I want to download my information from my Credit Union manually and not have Quicken really be in the mix. After the last download, my frustration for this program finally hit its peak. Right now it is not worth trying to clean up to keep it working. I have entries from probably 2005 or earlier, and most of the early years are OK, but in the past couple of months it is getting far worse.

I have the very latest updates installed on this program, and they only create more problems that they solve. You can see from most of the posts on this site that current versions of Quicken are almost unusable. Right now, I am looking for the best program that will resolve the type of problems that Quicken have come up with. I would be will to pay up to $50 for a good program that does not have such a complicated interface that it makes it almost impossible to use. Right now my copy of Quicken 2016 is so screwed up that it is probably unrepairable.

It seems almost impossible that they could so screw up a program in just the past few years. I had Quicken 2010, 2013, and now 2016, and it seems that each new version brings on unresolvable problems. It is time for me to move on from Quicken and am going to be seriously looking in 2107. Seems like all the ratings that you see for Quicken must be by people that don't actually use it. If you own and use any of the recent versions of Quicken, you quickly learn what all of the problems are.

Quicken 2014 was functional, I could download transactions and all operations were fairly quick. I was forced to upgrade to Quicken 2017 because download transactions stopped working. After upgrading to 2017, I'm facing MANY problems. Running this on Windows 7. First of all, Quicken freezes for 30-40 seconds at start before it asks for password. Secondly, when I click on download transactions, it freezes for 30-40 seconds before moving forward. Finally, the transaction download hangs on "Updating financial institution information..." and does not move forward at all (I've waited as long as 1 hour). It sucks that Intuit forces customers to upgrade its software, and then provides a poor product on upgrade.

Quicken 2016 didn't download checking transactions and gave message "Oops, no internet connection" until I downloaded update R 12 (Mongo), then it crashed when I tried to download transactions and even when I try to just open Quicken at times. Customer service has given me the runaround for a long time now that always ends with a restart that breaks the tech-chat connect with them claiming "This will probably make it work", and it never does. What a scam!

This product is going to drive me back to pen and paper. Quicken 2017 was a wonderful product: intuitive, straightforward, double-entry running balance accounting. Simple, simple, simple. Now it sucks. Crashes, can't get a running balance, screws up reconciled transactions by deciding they aren't, complicated entry method, lousy preference parameters... well, why go on. I fortunately kept my old Quicken on my old computer and went back to using it. The new version looks like it was designed by 12 year olds who a) never balanced a checkbook and b) don't understand simple accounting. Customer service also sucks.

I had been using Quicken for years. Actually I had been using Quicken 2012 forever. Never had an issue. One day I decided I should probably update the software. I purchased Quicken 2016 and WOW. Talk about a total failure. This is the worst piece of professional software that I have ever come across. Did they give this to a bunch of college kids for a freshman project?

I have been using this software for about a year now. The screens don't size to the window - when you open a window it is off the screen and you have to close it, scroll down and open the window again to select what you need. That is Computer Science 101. The budgeting software doesn't work at all. It will not find items from within the database itself. The options that were in 2012 are not in 2016. The bill pay and reconciliation features - which I would assume are the crux of this piece of software (and I use the term software oh so lightly) are quirky at best - not consistent at all. Total disappointment and unbelievable how a company could put this garbage on the open market. I am looking for a new piece of personal finance software to use. Lost all faith in Intuit as a company.

Quicken 2017 has devolved into total garbage. What happened to this product. It use to be easy to use and very good! Over the past year it has turned into total garbage. It constantly has sync errors with the bank and I've spent more time trying to fix software problems, deactivating, re-activating, re-downloading, fixing the software than I can believe.

The support is pathetic. You have to wait forever, When you finally get someone to chat with you, they waste an hour and a half trying to solve the problem and then the whole chat service goes offline! The 24 hour/7 day a week support service crashed and went off-line! I've been with Quicken for many, many years. But, I've had it and they have lost a long-time customer.

QuickBooks JUST KILLS ME! How can they just roll out a completely new look for the GUI and NOT TELL ANYBODY THAT IT IS COMING! TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!! In my opinion, the new format SUCKS and looks like an amateur webpage with more text and fewer app-like features. How can they possibly step backwards and implement a GUI that looks like this??? It is un-intuitive (no pun intended), no settings to change display size or amount of info that can be displayed on one screen! Have to scroll up and down to see the many different projects I have to enter time for. Why can Intuit just leave things alone, or AT LEAST tell users that this kind of dramatic change is going to be rolled out instead of just slapping the user up in the side of the head with it???

Now on to my Quicken 2017 iOS program. Got it up and running 6 months ago. All of sudden, two weeks ago it can no longer download Visa transactions from my Wells Fargo account. I've tried everything. This is due to the Quicken software update that they recently performed. Broke it. They did not test the update, not do they care it is broken. The only way I can fix it is to establish a new Visa account from within Quicken, connect to the back again, and then download 90 days worth of transactions from the bank, then MANUALLY copy older transactions over to the new account, reconcile, adjust balance, on and on! Lastly, it is impossible to email Intuit with any issue you have. You can call them and spend hours on the phone waiting for a service rep but they DO NOT WANT your email correspondence! It is that simple! Totally dissatisfied with Intuit on all levels and for all of their crappy products!

I am new to planning and budgeting, and I have been tinkering around with various versions of rather complex spreadsheets to keep track of the money flow. I have resisted Quicken in recent years, and now, I know why. I downloaded the deluxe version as I have some retirement accounts and a mortgage to track and started connecting to my accounts. This part was off to a good start as I saw the transactions had been entered, so I went off to the budget area to start sorting out. This is where things started to go bad and quickly.

First, when simply changing a value for a budget area: crash and report dialogue box shows up. Ugh. Restart the program and start tinkering with categorizing a budget. Quicken randomly just closes. Really? This is not good as I have no patience for this because unsaved work and whatnot. Reopen Quicken and within just a few minutes, 3 more random closes. That's it. That's all I needed to experience to see this was going to be a waste of $60+ dollars if I continued to use and fight the bugs. So, off to their website to find the terms for the full refund. We'll see how that goes. In the mean time, I will be quite happy entering data the old-ish fashion way into my spreadsheet.

Thank you Charles of Metairie, LA for the tip about GnuCash, I'm going to look at it as soon as I finish this complaint. As far as Tax software is concerned, I too used TurboTax for years until I started getting concerned about Intuit's control of my records - plus the price is ridiculous. It is FREE to file with CreditKarma. I used it this year - its first year - and it was great! My complaint: Quicken is trying to FORCE me to upgrade, but I PAID for the software that I have been using for the past 3 years and they should not be allowed to prevent me from using it! Their upgrades come at a significant cost of at least $100 and I should not be prevented from using the software I paid for unless I spend more money! I have been using Quicken for at least 20 years. About 10 years ago they started making it inconvenient if you didn't upgrade.

However this year they started with the inconvenient message asking you to upgrade - a message that you can't turn off. Then they turned off the downloading feature. Like Charles of Metairie, LA, my bank still allows downloading and it was working fine until April 30 - Quicken's deadline - when Quicken prevented the importing function into the software. I was mad, but I just started reconciling manually because I cannot afford to upgrade it - AND I'm angry that they are holding my money hostage unless I give them some of it!

Yesterday I started getting "unexpected error". If I click to deal with the error it shuts the program down. If I ignore the error I can continue working in the program. This morning when I tried to sign in I got the message asking me to upgrade, TWO "unexpected error" windows AND a fatal "COM error" that immediately shut the program down. After it shutdown I immediately opened it back up, got the upgrade and unexpected error windows but not the com error. I was able to do my business in the program and go on. This should NOT be allowed! There really needs to be a NO star option on this website.

Quicken is the one of the best accounting software. I think Quicken help to make easy to manage our personal and business account. But, Quicken keep change always on Quicken features like that navigation bottom, formula etc.

I have been using Quicken since the early 1996. Until Quicken 2013 I had relatively few issues with the product but then... I had to convert to Quicken 2016 because after three years, Quicken would no longer import MY data from MY financial institutions into MY Quicken files on MY computer. My, oh, My. :-) Last year before buying Quicken 2016 I looked at GnuCash and some other product. Neither seemed to work. Since I have data from 1996 these products could/would not import. I let one of them try to import when I started the import before leaving the house for a few hours. NO progress. Maybe the solution is to download from your institution with CSV files, import into Excel, or write/find something else. Does anyone think Access might work? I have always felt that Access does not work quickly after "n" number of records. Does anyone have that type of experience?

Have used Quicken for, I think, 20 yrs. All I need is a simple register that coordinates with my checking account. But, Quicken wants to run my life. It forces me to update to a product I don't need (I don't want to track investments, futures, European markets, etc.), it requires numerous Quicken or Intuit (huh?) passwords, and it now opens so slowly that I click on it and have time to use the bathroom. I've completed all the so-called "fixes". There MUST be a fix for this tyranny. I've searched for a Quicken replacement, but so far, have not come up with one. There just must be a better way in this day-and-age to keep up with one's simple checking!

Will not download to update my accounts. So many scammers out there... because they know there are so many problems with Quicken. I'm so frustrated with them and being scammed by "Quicken Support" mostly located out of the country... They tell you that you have Trojans, Hackers and no firewall... Then they sell you on a lot of money. I'm sick of everytime I go to update my accounts, duplicate transactions are downloaded and I have to start all over again to balance. Don't buy it. There has to be a better software.

I bought and installed Quicken 2016 and had issues the whole time I used it. Crashed, froze, or just didn't download all the information for some accounts. So I contacted them and the had me download an updated version that worked for about 3 months. So I called and again when I couldn't take it anymore, I was assured that Quicken 2017 corrected all the issues. They lied. Quicken 2017 is even worse than 2016. I currently can't get it to load or get any help. Their product and customer service are useless.

I have upgraded several times over the years just to be able to download bank info. It always takes days to reset all the information that gets screwed up. They offer nothing new to justify the cost of the product and it becomes just a waste of time. I'm hoping another product will come out before the next mandatory upgrade.

I was feeling semi-outraged at my Quicken experience beginning about one year ago, but after reading some of the reviews on here, I think I got off lucky. I have been a dedicated Quicken user for about 20 years and have been happy. I know something was different about Quicken and its relationships with my Bank (Bank of America) and my CC (Chase). I was given some kind of a reason, but not the real explanation I have read today. All I knew was suddenly the downloads from my bank and my credit card were incredibly wrong. I spent days manually straightening out the information, by comparing it to my statements, so I could do my taxes.

At the end of April, I signed on to Quicken Premium Support - $49/yr. That has had varying levels of satisfaction (like getting my email account changed). After helping me, the technician I was speaking with said, "Oh, you have Premium Support," so maybe I could have gotten the help without spending the $49. Currently, I cannot save a report. Every time I leave the report, save it, and go back, I have to reset the customization. Maddening and time wasting. I thought maybe Quicken 17 might be better. After reading the horror stories on here, I don't think I will spend the money. BUT... what are we going to do? I need the benefits that Quicken offers, but I need them to work correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement program. I gave them 2 stars instead of one star because I did get useful help from my last contact with technical support.

For the last 5 months, I've had to reset my connection with Capital One to download transactions. Each and every time I reset the account, it forces me to download the last 4 months of transactions. There is no easy way to delete them in mass and I spend hours weekly dealing with duplicate records and deleting them. I contacted Capital One and they told me they changed their security protocols and were aware of this situation. They told me Quicken was to blame since they wouldn't update their software to handle new security features. Capital One then told me to contact Quicken and apply pressure to Quicken.

I have called Quicken, was told by them they are aware of the situation and would not give me a timeline on when this issue would be resolved. The result, the consumer of both of their products is held hostage wasting hours and hours of time until these two big companies stop fighting and using their customers as weapons to call the other. This has left a very bad taste in my mouth, and I will not recommend either company until I receive a written apology for this misguided strategy to force the other company to adapt at the consumer's expense.

Quicken wanted me to upgrade because 2014 would no longer be supported and would no longer be able to download transactions. Ok, I don't need their support and I download manually from the bank. However, while I have the downloaded file on my computer and I have Quicken on my computer it won't open the file. There is absolutely NO REASON why the file should not be opened! I am not asking the Intuit site to access my bank. After 15 years, to hell with Quicken and, come December, I'm looking into replacement for TurboTax too. Got free personal finance software called GnuCash. Imported all of my info and processed a downloaded file from my bank. Great! To hell with Intuit.

I've had this program for years, but the main thing that makes it useful - being able to download and track transactions from your bank accounts - has devolved into essentially non-functional. I have three accounts at Wells Fargo, and Quicken simply will not consistently connect to them. I constantly have to reset and sometimes deactivate to re-establish them, and all three never work at once. Recently, Quicken also lost the ability to updated my Capital One 360 account. It always asks for a password it then will not accept. It's amazing this problem has not been resolved, but I have wasted absurd amounts of time on a program that's supposed to save me time. It's time to go somewhere else. Any suggestions?

Bottom line, Quicken 2017 is a broken product. It is constantly resetting and losing data, claiming data was downloaded when it was not, changing names of accounts, LOSING INFORMATION. Avoid at all costs. Quicken was a good product but they must of hired incompetent developers and the product at this point is fundamentally flawed. I have emailed multiple times to support how I can get a refund and have yet to receive even an acknowledgment of my request.

Serious problems with functioning of the product, and even worse now that the Intuit (makers of Quickbooks) sold off this brand of products. The product does not download my business bank entries like it did before. There has also been problems with categorizing entries. Customer service is poor. When I tried to get help they talked me into a $199 service agreement that was demanded or they would not help with the problem. A couple of months later I got a call from someone who said they were with Quicken and knew about the service policy, stating they were having difficulty downloading an update to their customers. That appears to have been a scam because the phone number I asked for was not in service. Had I seen so many negative reviews on this website, I would never have continued with this company.

Look harder for alternatives to Quicken - I am. I didn't read any of the reviews on here until after I had bought 2017. I've used it for almost 20 years now and regret it more each year. As many have already said on here, you are forced to submit a lot of personal information to Intuit just to open the program. Not acceptable. There are constant hassles with downloading information, transferring information, categorizing information. It's time to break their stranglehold on finances just like with Microsoft for operating systems and office software. They are far too deep into our information which could be acceptable except that it is only making the program slower and less effective. Good luck.

Quicken 2017 Deluxe - I purchased this at Staples. When I installed it, the program said it was saving my files. I had saved a copy myself, but the Quicken program overwrote my GOOD file and the file they saved was no good--it was missing MOST of 2017. No help from Quicken, though they did try. The last update I had was in February, so it was my fault I didn't back things up sooner. I had to import that file and lose much of my data. After I updated what I could by hand, I saw a duplicate and tried to delete the transaction. It deleted the transaction that was ABOVE the one I wanted to delete. Quicken had me run an update. It had an error. They said to try again in a few days. The program is FULL of bugs and I don't DARE try using the online banking feature, let alone the mobile app.

OH ONE MORE THING. When I had to sign in, it wouldn't take my password and when I clicked "Forgot password" it asked questions like, "What was the amount of your last deposit into your checking account?" The next question was, "What was the last amount you paid on your credit card account?" WHY do they KNOW this information? Are they keeping track of your money? I DO NOT LIKE THIS NEW QUICKEN and if I find another program similar to it that does NOT have online banking, I WILL switch.

Intuit - Quicken Company Profile