Intuit - Quicken

Compare Miscellaneous Companies

Research top Miscellaneous Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

QuickBooks JUST KILLS ME! How can they just roll out a completely new look for the GUI and NOT TELL ANYBODY THAT IT IS COMING! TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!! In my opinion, the new format SUCKS and looks like an amateur webpage with more text and fewer app-like features. How can they possibly step backwards and implement a GUI that looks like this??? It is un-intuitive (no pun intended), no settings to change display size or amount of info that can be displayed on one screen! Have to scroll up and down to see the many different projects I have to enter time for. Why can Intuit just leave things alone, or AT LEAST tell users that this kind of dramatic change is going to be rolled out instead of just slapping the user up in the side of the head with it???

Now on to my Quicken 2017 iOS program. Got it up and running 6 months ago. All of sudden, two weeks ago it can no longer download Visa transactions from my Wells Fargo account. I've tried everything. This is due to the Quicken software update that they recently performed. Broke it. They did not test the update, not do they care it is broken. The only way I can fix it is to establish a new Visa account from within Quicken, connect to the back again, and then download 90 days worth of transactions from the bank, then MANUALLY copy older transactions over to the new account, reconcile, adjust balance, on and on! Lastly, it is impossible to email Intuit with any issue you have. You can call them and spend hours on the phone waiting for a service rep but they DO NOT WANT your email correspondence! It is that simple! Totally dissatisfied with Intuit on all levels and for all of their crappy products!

I am new to planning and budgeting, and I have been tinkering around with various versions of rather complex spreadsheets to keep track of the money flow. I have resisted Quicken in recent years, and now, I know why. I downloaded the deluxe version as I have some retirement accounts and a mortgage to track and started connecting to my accounts. This part was off to a good start as I saw the transactions had been entered, so I went off to the budget area to start sorting out. This is where things started to go bad and quickly.

First, when simply changing a value for a budget area: crash and report dialogue box shows up. Ugh. Restart the program and start tinkering with categorizing a budget. Quicken randomly just closes. Really? This is not good as I have no patience for this because unsaved work and whatnot. Reopen Quicken and within just a few minutes, 3 more random closes. That's it. That's all I needed to experience to see this was going to be a waste of $60+ dollars if I continued to use and fight the bugs. So, off to their website to find the terms for the full refund. We'll see how that goes. In the mean time, I will be quite happy entering data the old-ish fashion way into my spreadsheet.

Thank you Charles of Metairie, LA for the tip about GnuCash, I'm going to look at it as soon as I finish this complaint. As far as Tax software is concerned, I too used TurboTax for years until I started getting concerned about Intuit's control of my records - plus the price is ridiculous. It is FREE to file with CreditKarma. I used it this year - its first year - and it was great! My complaint: Quicken is trying to FORCE me to upgrade, but I PAID for the software that I have been using for the past 3 years and they should not be allowed to prevent me from using it! Their upgrades come at a significant cost of at least $100 and I should not be prevented from using the software I paid for unless I spend more money! I have been using Quicken for at least 20 years. About 10 years ago they started making it inconvenient if you didn't upgrade.

However this year they started with the inconvenient message asking you to upgrade - a message that you can't turn off. Then they turned off the downloading feature. Like Charles of Metairie, LA, my bank still allows downloading and it was working fine until April 30 - Quicken's deadline - when Quicken prevented the importing function into the software. I was mad, but I just started reconciling manually because I cannot afford to upgrade it - AND I'm angry that they are holding my money hostage unless I give them some of it!

Yesterday I started getting "unexpected error". If I click to deal with the error it shuts the program down. If I ignore the error I can continue working in the program. This morning when I tried to sign in I got the message asking me to upgrade, TWO "unexpected error" windows AND a fatal "COM error" that immediately shut the program down. After it shutdown I immediately opened it back up, got the upgrade and unexpected error windows but not the com error. I was able to do my business in the program and go on. This should NOT be allowed! There really needs to be a NO star option on this website.

Quicken is the one of the best accounting software. I think Quicken help to make easy to manage our personal and business account. But, Quicken keep change always on Quicken features like that navigation bottom, formula etc.

I have been using Quicken since the early 1996. Until Quicken 2013 I had relatively few issues with the product but then... I had to convert to Quicken 2016 because after three years, Quicken would no longer import MY data from MY financial institutions into MY Quicken files on MY computer. My, oh, My. :-) Last year before buying Quicken 2016 I looked at GnuCash and some other product. Neither seemed to work. Since I have data from 1996 these products could/would not import. I let one of them try to import when I started the import before leaving the house for a few hours. NO progress. Maybe the solution is to download from your institution with CSV files, import into Excel, or write/find something else. Does anyone think Access might work? I have always felt that Access does not work quickly after "n" number of records. Does anyone have that type of experience?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Have used Quicken for, I think, 20 yrs. All I need is a simple register that coordinates with my checking account. But, Quicken wants to run my life. It forces me to update to a product I don't need (I don't want to track investments, futures, European markets, etc.), it requires numerous Quicken or Intuit (huh?) passwords, and it now opens so slowly that I click on it and have time to use the bathroom. I've completed all the so-called "fixes". There MUST be a fix for this tyranny. I've searched for a Quicken replacement, but so far, have not come up with one. There just must be a better way in this day-and-age to keep up with one's simple checking!

Will not download to update my accounts. So many scammers out there... because they know there are so many problems with Quicken. I'm so frustrated with them and being scammed by "Quicken Support" mostly located out of the country... They tell you that you have Trojans, Hackers and no firewall... Then they sell you on a lot of money. I'm sick of everytime I go to update my accounts, duplicate transactions are downloaded and I have to start all over again to balance. Don't buy it. There has to be a better software.

I bought and installed Quicken 2016 and had issues the whole time I used it. Crashed, froze, or just didn't download all the information for some accounts. So I contacted them and the had me download an updated version that worked for about 3 months. So I called and again when I couldn't take it anymore, I was assured that Quicken 2017 corrected all the issues. They lied. Quicken 2017 is even worse than 2016. I currently can't get it to load or get any help. Their product and customer service are useless.

I have upgraded several times over the years just to be able to download bank info. It always takes days to reset all the information that gets screwed up. They offer nothing new to justify the cost of the product and it becomes just a waste of time. I'm hoping another product will come out before the next mandatory upgrade.

I was feeling semi-outraged at my Quicken experience beginning about one year ago, but after reading some of the reviews on here, I think I got off lucky. I have been a dedicated Quicken user for about 20 years and have been happy. I know something was different about Quicken and its relationships with my Bank (Bank of America) and my CC (Chase). I was given some kind of a reason, but not the real explanation I have read today. All I knew was suddenly the downloads from my bank and my credit card were incredibly wrong. I spent days manually straightening out the information, by comparing it to my statements, so I could do my taxes.

At the end of April, I signed on to Quicken Premium Support - $49/yr. That has had varying levels of satisfaction (like getting my email account changed). After helping me, the technician I was speaking with said, "Oh, you have Premium Support," so maybe I could have gotten the help without spending the $49. Currently, I cannot save a report. Every time I leave the report, save it, and go back, I have to reset the customization. Maddening and time wasting. I thought maybe Quicken 17 might be better. After reading the horror stories on here, I don't think I will spend the money. BUT... what are we going to do? I need the benefits that Quicken offers, but I need them to work correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement program. I gave them 2 stars instead of one star because I did get useful help from my last contact with technical support.

For the last 5 months, I've had to reset my connection with Capital One to download transactions. Each and every time I reset the account, it forces me to download the last 4 months of transactions. There is no easy way to delete them in mass and I spend hours weekly dealing with duplicate records and deleting them. I contacted Capital One and they told me they changed their security protocols and were aware of this situation. They told me Quicken was to blame since they wouldn't update their software to handle new security features. Capital One then told me to contact Quicken and apply pressure to Quicken.

I have called Quicken, was told by them they are aware of the situation and would not give me a timeline on when this issue would be resolved. The result, the consumer of both of their products is held hostage wasting hours and hours of time until these two big companies stop fighting and using their customers as weapons to call the other. This has left a very bad taste in my mouth, and I will not recommend either company until I receive a written apology for this misguided strategy to force the other company to adapt at the consumer's expense.

Quicken wanted me to upgrade because 2014 would no longer be supported and would no longer be able to download transactions. Ok, I don't need their support and I download manually from the bank. However, while I have the downloaded file on my computer and I have Quicken on my computer it won't open the file. There is absolutely NO REASON why the file should not be opened! I am not asking the Intuit site to access my bank. After 15 years, to hell with Quicken and, come December, I'm looking into replacement for TurboTax too. Got free personal finance software called GnuCash. Imported all of my info and processed a downloaded file from my bank. Great! To hell with Intuit.

I've had this program for years, but the main thing that makes it useful - being able to download and track transactions from your bank accounts - has devolved into essentially non-functional. I have three accounts at Wells Fargo, and Quicken simply will not consistently connect to them. I constantly have to reset and sometimes deactivate to re-establish them, and all three never work at once. Recently, Quicken also lost the ability to updated my Capital One 360 account. It always asks for a password it then will not accept. It's amazing this problem has not been resolved, but I have wasted absurd amounts of time on a program that's supposed to save me time. It's time to go somewhere else. Any suggestions?

Bottom line, Quicken 2017 is a broken product. It is constantly resetting and losing data, claiming data was downloaded when it was not, changing names of accounts, LOSING INFORMATION. Avoid at all costs. Quicken was a good product but they must of hired incompetent developers and the product at this point is fundamentally flawed. I have emailed multiple times to support how I can get a refund and have yet to receive even an acknowledgment of my request.

Serious problems with functioning of the product, and even worse now that the Intuit (makers of Quickbooks) sold off this brand of products. The product does not download my business bank entries like it did before. There has also been problems with categorizing entries. Customer service is poor. When I tried to get help they talked me into a $199 service agreement that was demanded or they would not help with the problem. A couple of months later I got a call from someone who said they were with Quicken and knew about the service policy, stating they were having difficulty downloading an update to their customers. That appears to have been a scam because the phone number I asked for was not in service. Had I seen so many negative reviews on this website, I would never have continued with this company.

Look harder for alternatives to Quicken - I am. I didn't read any of the reviews on here until after I had bought 2017. I've used it for almost 20 years now and regret it more each year. As many have already said on here, you are forced to submit a lot of personal information to Intuit just to open the program. Not acceptable. There are constant hassles with downloading information, transferring information, categorizing information. It's time to break their stranglehold on finances just like with Microsoft for operating systems and office software. They are far too deep into our information which could be acceptable except that it is only making the program slower and less effective. Good luck.

Quicken 2017 Deluxe - I purchased this at Staples. When I installed it, the program said it was saving my files. I had saved a copy myself, but the Quicken program overwrote my GOOD file and the file they saved was no good--it was missing MOST of 2017. No help from Quicken, though they did try. The last update I had was in February, so it was my fault I didn't back things up sooner. I had to import that file and lose much of my data. After I updated what I could by hand, I saw a duplicate and tried to delete the transaction. It deleted the transaction that was ABOVE the one I wanted to delete. Quicken had me run an update. It had an error. They said to try again in a few days. The program is FULL of bugs and I don't DARE try using the online banking feature, let alone the mobile app.

OH ONE MORE THING. When I had to sign in, it wouldn't take my password and when I clicked "Forgot password" it asked questions like, "What was the amount of your last deposit into your checking account?" The next question was, "What was the last amount you paid on your credit card account?" WHY do they KNOW this information? Are they keeping track of your money? I DO NOT LIKE THIS NEW QUICKEN and if I find another program similar to it that does NOT have online banking, I WILL switch.

Just upgraded to Quicken H&B 2017 since we are kind of forced to if we want to continue to be able to download transactions which is essential for using Q efficiently. Have been user since 1995. With this upgrade, we are forced to log in into Intuit. Don't like that at all. Number One: Privacy Issues - I don't want Intuit to know about my finances. Number Two: Intuit log in on the blink. It is forcing me to log in with my email/PW before Automatic Update will function. Well, it's not logging in after multiple tries. Keeps saying - "It's not your fault, it's on our end." Well I have work to do so I tried manually downloading from banking site. When tried to import, the Intuit login screen comes up anyway. There's no go-around! This is very bad. This is OUR info, NOT INTUIT'S!!! BAD BUG!!! Must fix ASAP!!!

I have always tried to use Quicken in a standalone mode on my personal PC to track and manage my finances. I have never used, or wanted to use, the additional financial services provided by Quicken. However, since the 2014 update, Quicken requires you to log into Intuit for all transactions, such as downloading your transactions from a bank. Customer service says this is for verification purposes only, but it is even required if I download the web, connect file to my PC and then try to import it. There is no network security issue here, and I should be able to do it without logging into Intuit.

What bothers me is the privacy agreement which states: "The type of information we collect may depend on the Quicken features you use and may include:... payment and financial data; information that includes third party content and functionality... Quicken is a personal financial management service that can automatically download financial information, such as current account balances and transactions. To provide you with this service, we may need to access your online financial accounts. Also note where your data may be located. The data we process may be transferred to, stored, and processed in, the United States or any other country in which Quicken or its affiliates, subsidiaries, or service providers maintain operations."

To me this means that if someone in another country comprises my data, I may not have any recourse for compensation. With Quicken, I thought I was buying a standalone product for my PC, but apparently now it is a network product that insists on moving my information out of my home and into the network. That is not what I am looking for.

Upgraded to the new 2017 version since I was having trouble updating my bank accounts and all I can say is hold off as long as possible. Having more issues than ever. Been a very long time user of Quicken but this latest upgrade is terrible. I'm having to try and reset my accounts and this only works half the time. Minor issue is the graphics are very generic, but I could live with this as long as the program works. See the attached picture, doesn't even fill in the blanks on the failed reset message. SAD, wish there was another product I could buy. Lack of true competition is making Intuit's Quicken programs sloppy and we users pay the price!

Quicken is killing me. Like many making these posts, I have been a long time user of Quicken... decades. I have kept the tool functional, as I have valued historical reporting. Unfortunately, I have now run into a situation where online updates are failing in several of my banks and accounts. It all started last Friday. If I try to deactivate an account, it will not reactivate, due to some internal quicken error. They must have fun with the message "It's not your fault", but that is not helping me. I've been on 3 very long calls with reps who have had me upload log files, still have no clear answer as to what the issue is. Something happened last week and they still have yet to fess up to their crime. Personally I think they put a "time bomb" of sorts to "force people to upgrade".

DO NOT BUY THEIR product until their issues are fixed. They do not connect with Wells Fargo or Chase or credit cards to do computers issues. This has been going on for 6 months. PLEASE. Quit making so many upgrades that your own technology cannot keep up. It is all manual uploading of files, keeping log of dates so you don't duplicated transactions. Might as well just enter them manually every month. It's easier. IT SUCKS, and I have been using it for 14 years. They should have kept it simple.

I have been using Quicken since 2001 and upgraded a few times. The last one I bought was 2014 and had it on one laptop that crashed so I downloaded it onto another laptop and transferred all my backed up files from each successive year to my current laptop. I did not really like 2014 prior to my moving my files due to the fact that the screen seemed to roll after each transaction and my sound was not working. However other than that I was satisfied. Shortly after moving the 2014 to my new laptop, I began to experience opening problems and would have to go to the actual app on the start page of Windows 8.1 to open it, and sometimes was getting an error upon trying to open using the desktop shortcut, as if the program could not be found. I knew that in April of 2017 Quicken would need to be updated again in order to be able to download the transactions from my bank and credit card companies.

It had been a few months since I attempted to open it as I don't do my balancing monthly... yet I went ahead and bought a copy of the new 2017 Quicken program when it went on sale. So today I was going to download the new program when I opened my laptop and did not see the Quicken icon on my desktop. Now that I think of it, it's not been there for a while but I did not need it so I just didn't really notice. Upon a quick search I found the icon was not on the start up page, and when I looked in all programs it was not listed in the programs. I did a search on my computer and found it was not in program files either. The only place anything concerning Quicken was at, was in my documents where my backup files are located and when I attempted to open those files my computer asked me what program I wanted to open with.

I'm about to attempt to reinstall 2014 from the disc to see if I can even access the backup files. If not... I'm in a world of hurt. At the moment it's attempting to download updates and taking too long... reminding me that I have had to do this a couple months ago just to get Quicken to open, and it did not ever finish the updates I had to just open without finishing. Just now I attempted to open a backup file and it crashed it and the error report also failed to send. I'm about to attempt to reinstall and hoping the updates will finish and I can then install 2017. After reading some of the other reviews, I'm not expecting a good outcome!!!

Like many others, I've used Quicken for many years. Now it crashes frequently. Most of the time I can simply re-open it and go about my business. This week, however, I have encountered what appears to be an unrecoverable error. I cannot use my saved reports without a crash. I've reinstalled, reset, and done everything I can think of and read about in the community support site. Waiting an hour on line for tech support only to have someone sing-song me through the same scripts I read online is simply unacceptable. Once I recover my data, I'm going to look for another program. Quicken 2017 is a disaster. BTW, I purchased the product directly through Quicken/Intuit.

I've been using Quicken in general for many years and I have saved all the transactions since 1997 since I like to be able to research issues in my life based on prior activity. I'm surprised that the program has been able to retain all these transactions. I have just added all the transactions in all the accounts and came up with about 40 k in transactions alone. I don't if there is complexity that varies in all the different account types that complicate that total. All I know is that it represents my personal information (and a three year duration of a small business) without ANY trimming over that time.

I haven't had many of the severe errors or problems that I see written at this site, but I have had a couple that I will relate. The most worrisome came happened several years ago when it appeared that ALL my transactions and or the entire file had been compromised in some way so that I couldn't go on until I solved the problem and integrity of the numbers (balancing of accounts).

The program Quicken couldn't download transactions from the bank and make me secure in the belief that the data is accurate. I tried several ways of moving my data from the source file to another NEW file so I could be sure that the database was simply accurate and not scrambled. There was no tools that would simply and completely export the transactions (accurately) and allow for the importing into another new fresh file.

Somehow I came across the answer, or just an attempt to try anything. I tried the VALIDATE file operation. And It worked! Believe it or no, that was the answer. All the transactions worked as they were supposed to and the processes were correct too. I had no further problem after that point. I now do a process every so often when I either reach a plateau of activity or the new data that I'm going to enter is particularly unique or even when I'm going to start changing the text in many transactions significantly and I want to protect the existing transactions from irrevocable harm. That process is to COPY the current file to a physical new file and append the name with a progressive suffix so that the naming will be obvious. Part of that action includes doing the VALIDATE action once in a while and constant backups. This process may solve some people's file problems, but I can't be sure of how many.

Have been with Quicken since 2001, recently upgraded to Quicken Deluxe 2017. Since then problems have arisen with Capital One and Discover accounts. Transactions are not downloaded. Web connect no longer works, deactivated and re activated both accounts. Reset accounts. No results. Contacted both the banks and Quicken help. No resolution. This has been going on for over two months. Not happy. Will no longer recommend Quicken.

I have used Quicken since 1994. When the ability to download accounts from banks became available this was great. Unfortunately, Quicken has to provide an "update" every year in order to make money. These updates have made Quicken completely unusable. Quicken has NO live support as I know of. Now someone could make a lot of money to provide a replacement for this terrible company. I will be your first customer.

Like everyone else, I discovered that Quicken is not what it was when Intuit owned it. Tech support is a JOKE (and it used to be so good) and may folks end up with 3rd party hustlers: "Vincent" of VA, I share your pain. I too was charge $400 for support that did not fix my problem - and made it worse. Stay clear of "Boomerang Tech Services". They are a SCAM! I also "upgraded" from Q2015 to Q2017 - HUGE MISTAKE! Fortunately I had saved copies of my last Q2015 file and I still had my Q2015 CD. I deleted Q2017 and its file and reloaded Quicken 2015 (and started a whole new file. It was a PITA but I was able to reconnect to my financial institutions and download what I needed from them. I am doing just fine with my "old" Quicken Deluxe 2015 - and a brand new clean data file.

Quicken Customer Support Scams. For some odd reason Quicken does not post their Customer Support Phone Numbers. If you Google Search Quicken Customer Support Phone Number or Quicken Customer Service Phone Number you get several erroneous links. DO NOT FALL FOR THESE! Although I'm frustrated with not being able to easily find the right phone number, I'm very pleased with Quicken Customer Service when I need to contact them. The correct phone numbers are: 888-311-7276 and 650-250-1900. These lines are ONLY answered Monday-Friday, 5 AM-5 PM Pacific Time.

I have been a user of Quicken for almost 20 years. Each year the usability of Quicken has significantly deteriorated making the product more difficult and time-consuming to use. After loading the 2017 version I am now 100% feed up with Quicken and looking for a replacement software so, I can immediately unload Quicken. If you never used Quicken, my recommendation to avoid a great deal of frustration, is to avoid Quicken at all cost. I have spent hours with Quicken Level 1 and Level 2 support teams and their knowledge of the banking and investment industry is at a 7th Grade level. Their knowledge of QUICKEN is even less. I cannot even imagine what quicken will be like in 2018.

Intuit - Quicken Company Profile