1.12/5
Based on 87 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

480 Intuit - Quicken Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

Quicken 2018 is definitely a downgrade from what Quicken used to be under Intuit. Unfortunately there isn't much choice in this software arena anymore. I'm guessing there will be soon given the number of 1 star reviews on this site. Arithmetic is easy, and should be a given for a finance software tool. And yet I find incorrect totals frequently that do not correct themselves until I log out and log back in. It means I can't trust the numbers I see, which is the most basic function of a home finance software platform.

But far worse than the bugs is the third-party Quicken Bill Pay partner (Metavante Payment Services). Not only is the service and user interface horrible, but they are blatant thieves. I decided to give them a try, but after a month I couldn't use the service anymore. It was just awful, and I almost missed a bill because I didn't get the notification. I never had those types of problems using my online banking, so I went back to their bill pay service. I canceled my Quicken Bill Pay, and thought that was the end. Two months later they took money out of my account. I never authorized it, and I had done nothing that would have warranted additional charges according to the terms & conditions I agreed to. I called and pointed out the mistake. They tried to show me where I was wrong, but the terms they showed me actually proved I was right. They opened a ticket for a refund. Keep in mind this is only $5. The claim was denied with no explanation.

The thought of them doing this to their thousands of customers and profiting from it irked me to no end, so I decided to follow up again. Once again I was directed to terms and conditions that backed up my position. I was told a supervisor would call me back. That never happened. I called again and they told me they would open another request for a refund. I told them that wasn't good enough, I needed to talk to supervisor. I've still not gotten a call back, and never got a refund.

The fact that a company would go to these lengths to keep $5 that they clearly do not have a right to tells you all you need to know about them. And based on the justification they gave me for not refunding the money, my hunch is that they are overcharging all of their Quicken customers. They get away with it because the dollar amounts are low enough that people don't notice or don't bother to go after them. It seems like this would be a great opportunity for a class action lawsuit. I'm volunteering to be a plaintiff if anyone wants to take the case just because they annoy me so much. And I hate to think of all the people they are stealing from because they aren't savvy enough to know they can usually pay their bills online for free through their bank.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I signed up for Quicken Premier 2018 because of the "FREE" Bill Pay feature. At the first month, they charged me 9.95, which I assumed was an error, but it turns out that I never finished the 4th step of the setup, which activates the service, so they charged me the full pay. The first customer service agent helped me get the service activated and then offered to reverse that charge, but 5 days later I got an email saying they would not reverse that charge.

2 weeks later, I received a charge for $5 for exceeding the 15 transaction limit per month. I don't have that many transactions, so I had to have the customer service rep walk me through the transactions. Turns out they count receiving a bill and paying the SAME BILL as TWO separate transactions. I have automated rules set up for everything, so they only handle each bill once.

Well, they got me for $15 and they refuse to give it up. I would stick with them, but I can't stand the nickel and dime attitude and the deceptive practices. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't delete everything from my bank bill payment system (FREE), because I'm going back to that. tl;dr I do NOT recommend Quicken Billpay. Maybe they'll get their act together one day, but this is not that day. I will likely also report this to the consumer protection bureau because I think it was very deceptive.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 17, 2018

Like thousands of other customers using Quicken 2016 or 2017, Quicken stopped syncing with my bank after the software update in May. I spent five hours working with customer service without getting a solution. The whole time they acted like this was a problem they'd never seen before, but it turned out they'd already had lots of users complaining about it for weeks! Quicken offered lots of suggestions; some of them fixed the problem for some people, but some of us were still stuck. They finally released an update for 2016 with a promise that the 2017 correction would soon follow. But then they started getting complaints that the 2016 update created new problems, so they shut down the discussion, deleted most of the complaints, and posted an official statement saying the problem was corrected. Stay away from these incompetent crooks. By the way, Quicken is not a part of Intuit anymore.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Have used Quicken for many years, buying upgrades every 2-3 years. Slowly over the last 1-2 years it has become increasingly buggy, mainly with online connections. I used to assume this was due to additional security measures that financial institutions are implementing, but now I'm pretty sure the problem is Quicken. In the last 2 months I have spent dozens of hours resetting account connections, fixing the Quicken ID, re-downloading the program and reinstalling. At times it would connect, then it wouldn't. Finally seemed that I had everything working last week. Now I go to connect again and it acts like I am connected, but no transactions show. Then I start re-setting accounts and it gives me more errors. I am done with this horrendous product. Quicken you just lost a decades long user.

Original review: June 8, 2018

It is the most unfriendly program ever. I had the nice basic program on Windows but switched to a Mac and was forced into buying 2017 Quicken. My nightmare began. First, I just want to enter my transactions as I did before - no bank tie in. I can not get a balance to come up. I can not get the same company name to work for either spending and income. It can not differentiate between the two. So if I started at income for a company, it refuses to be spending. It changes balances. It adds all of my different accounts into one main balance and I can't make it go to just one account as I did.

I just want to see a running balance for the one account I am working on to ensure it matches my bank statement. I use this program to figure out what are tax write offs. But seriously, it may not be worth my time anymore. I HATE THIS PROGRAM. Stay away. I would like to find a simple do it yourself entry for my accounts as before. Too much big brother getting into our world today.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: May 23, 2018

Has anyone else had a nightmare upgrading from Quicken 2015? In addition to disabling my online banking download and bill pay, I have had all kinds of issues since they ended support for Q 2015 this month. Here are some of the issues I face: 1. The program not opening up my file forcing me to spend time figuring out where the active file was kept. 2. Multiple messages to upgrade to Q 2018 even though I opted out of getting any more messages. 3. Not able to download transactions from bank anymore (I tend to think they disabled this proactively instead of just ending support). 4. Continuing to charge for Quicken Bill pay.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Ok, I finally was on-board with the need to update every three years. $50 every three years to be able to auto-download from my credit card companies was palatable. Now I see a message on my Quicken 2015 that my auto-download is ending and I must update. I go to their site and find that they have increased my cost by 300% or a total of $150 every three years instead of $50.

No way, no how will I pay an annual subscription fee. Quicken had a protocol where you would need to update about every 36 months (maybe a bit more). If you didn’t upgrade you lost the ability to automatically download from your credit cards. So it was about $50 every three years to upgrade. Now if I wanted to be frugal I would have just downloaded the files from each site and imported them. During a three year cycle, the annual subscription fee is equivalent to a 300% increase. Nope – I won’t do it. Quicken will not get a dime from me for any future upgrades and I will go back to the manual downgrade / import of the files. I sincerely hope that Quicken shot themselves in the foot with the fee scheme.

Original review: May 16, 2018

The company practices extortion. I own Quicken 2015 Deluxe. My desktop needed to be factory reset because of a corrupted file. ALL the software I own (quite a lot) installed without problem, EXCEPT for Quicken 2015 Deluxe. Only 3 years old, I own it, have the disc. They lock you out of reinstalling it. This is outrageous and should be illegal. Several of the software packages I DID reinstall were much older than Quicken's. I know all the story of Intuit selling off Quicken. I know they now RENT software for about $50/year. Accounting is simple.

Why do I need to buy more EVERY year from them. I understand they just need cash flow. I don't want to update stocks, do bill pay or anything online... I just want a reliable checking/savings program that works. I was a loyal Quicken customer for over 25 years, but now I can't use software 3 years old! Outrageous, How is this legal? I sever all ties with Quicken. NO MORE. The public needs to STOP this customer NO-SERVICE.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I have used Quicken (for Mac) since its inception and have upgraded regularly. Since upgrading to 2018 I have had nothing but problems. I have lost transactions, been unable to download from institutions and the last time I ran it the program was "saving to Quicken 2016," which I didn't think was even on my computer. I've spent hours with tech support but each time there is a partial fix and I manually update my registers something else goes haywire and I am back to lost info and am unable to reconcile through online. Does anyone have a better product for personal investing and home finance?

Original review: May 10, 2018

I have been using Quicken since 1994 and now they want to force me to upgrade and pay outrageous fees. I cannot use the version 15 which worked fine to my needs. Is this legal? Is there a way to stop them.

Original review: May 9, 2018

We have been satisfied, loyal Quicken customers since the early 90's. No more. Quicken-TurboTax-Intuit has exploded & gone separate ways. The purchasers of Quicken have decided to gouge the existing customer base. With little warning, Quicken disables all account downloads from existing financial accounts. The software will not link directly to financial institutions & will not import downloaded transaction files. This is Quicken's way of forcing customers to pay $60-$100 per year for their new subscription service... Which is buggy & doesn't work as advertised. We have worked with Quicken through many changes over decades. This heavy handed approach not only gives the finger to long standing customers. IT MOTIVATES US TO FIND AN ALTERNATIVE... ANY ALTERNATIVE... And spread negative word of mouth forever! Congratulations, Quicken. You have destroyed your customer base in one fell swoop.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Just installed Quicken 2018 Home, Business & Rental Property. Have used Quicken for decades. Cannot connect to financial institutions - connection error message. Chase gives me customer service phone number for Quicken. Customer service rep says the data was backed up "wrong" in Quicken 2015 before I installed Quicken 2018. I have to buy a support plan for $149/year to get help - after just buying the $149 product since the 2015 version would no longer download data. Seems like a huge, huge scam. Beware, beware, beware.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Been a client of both Quicken and Bill Pay since 1993. I received a notice. To maintain my bill pay service I needed to upgrade to 2018, which is now a subscription service. I bought the premier Quicken with free bill pay (found out later it's only free for a limited time). Per their instructions I needed to setup a new bill pay account, I did. Spent an entire month back and forth with customer service. I had to call them every few days to get updates. I was denied 2 days after my 30 day guarantee ran out to return my new quicken. No explanation, just, it's been denied. I have an excellent credit rating, go figure their denying me. After an hour I did get my money back. I'm done with Quicken.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I responded to a Quicken community comment and was censored. Quicken doesn't want the word to get out about how crappy their subscription service is, how their bill pay feature doesn't work, and how long time Quicken users are appalled about the subscription service, the cost, and the reviews are horrendously bad on service, product, features (that don't work), etc.. I replied to two posts (one in response by Quicken Harold that Mac users had a "slimmed down version") (and I noted that we didn't have a slimmed down price, which did not go over so well, apparently) and both were censored:

This reply has been removed by Quicken: Funny how we MAC users don't have a SLIMMED DOWN PRICE for the slimmed down version of Quicken. Just bought the 2017 Quicken for Mac today which should tide me over to 2020. Really pissed off about the subscription service, particularly since MAC users get such a slimmed down (read poor) product to begin with. Shame on Quicken/Intuit or whoever you are now. Not happy with this new "model" of ripoff.

This reply has been removed by Quicken: All these corporations are devolving into low life scammers, unfortunately. They are going to eventually reap their just rewards, i.e. bankruptcy. Replies can be removed by community moderators if they contain inappropriate content or private information. Quicken Tyka, a moderator for Quicken, gave this reason for the change: Violation of community guidelines: Argumentative, not being constructive with criticism. Continued misuse of the community will result in a ban.

Original review: April 26, 2018

My Merrill Lynch account cannot be added to "one step update". I manually press "update transactions" and it takes me to Merrill Lynch's sign in page. I sign in and hit "download to Quicken". The downloaded securities value is different than my current balance shown on my account summary at my online Merrill Lynch page. I am using the Quicken 2018, have made a few calls to the customer service. NO SOLUTION YET!!!

Original review: April 19, 2018

To all my friends and family who may be using Quicken for their finances. WARNING!!! We have been using Quicken for years but things have changed since. They are no longer owned by INTUIT. We upgraded to Quicken 2017 last year and have had security problems ever since. Calling the support line today they said that our security settings were corrupted DUE TO THE FACT WE DID NOT UPGRADE to Quicken 2018. They offered that if we paid a $250 ransom ($200 for support and $50 for Quicken 2018) they would restore our files. Again they said if we had purchased the latest version EVERY year when it came out it would not have happened. We will be getting off Quicken and I would highly suggest you do the same, they are no longer a reputable company and your financial data is at risk.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have been using Quicken's versions since 1999. In the last few years every new version is buggier. Every couple of months I suddenly have issues downloading financial transactions from banking sites that were working just fine. Last Saturday, Quicken would not launch at all and just offered an error message that said "There is a problem with the Quicken installation. Uninstall and reinstall Quicken." Which is bad enough but to do that I need to access the installation program since I have the 2018 subscription. So I go to Quicken.com to log in to my account and on every browser I try I get this error messages: "This site can’t provide a secure connection. Signin.quicken.com uses an unsupported protocol. ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH. Unsupported protocol. The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite."

Three hours of phone calls later (four days have now elapsed) I still can't run Quicken and can't access my account to redownload the software to even try and fix this. Every technical support person has a different explanation for what's going on but none can help me. I asked to talk to a supervisor and been told there are none available. I asked for escalation and was told they have no way to contact them. This company is horrible and if I can ever access my financial information again, I will do everything I can to find an alternative to Quicken. This company should be out of business.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I've used Quicken Bill Pay for 15 years with various versions of pre-2018 Quicken. I upgraded to the subscription-based Quicken 2018 in part because Quicken Bill Pay is included at no charge. Previously, I paid $12.95 per month for the service. I upgraded to Quicken 2018 in January and saw that I was charged $12.95 in February for the bill pay service. Then once again, I was charged $12.95 in March. I assumed that somebody in accounting made a mistake, so I called Quicken Bill Pay to ask them to stop charging me the monthly fee.

I was horrified to learn that I had to create an entirely new account and submit numerous documents to "prove my identity" - even though I provided all of these documents before. I sent an email to their support, and over 24 hours later, have STILL not received a response. Nowhere in the fine print for Quicken 2018 did it say I had to start from scratch with Quicken Bill Pay. Terrible customer experience! If you use Quicken Bill Pay, I recommend you do NOT upgrade to Quicken 2018!

Original review: April 5, 2018

When one updates to the new Quicken (2018), one hopes for the followings to happen: 1. The old historic transactions of older versions would be transferred smoothly to the new program as it happened with older versions. 2. Support online and by phone will be improved. 3. Transactions will be smoothly and correctly downloaded.

But the above are illusions and reality check shows the followings: Old files from previous versions are practically butchered. To make certain that Quicken takes unfairly control over the past data, the older version is uninstalled and old data becomes unusable in the new version. Furthermore, as problem occur - transactions are not downloaded, accounts (mostly with Citibank) are not recognized, the only offered solution is starting with such accounts from scratch - but only 3 months back from the day. Should one be so naive to trust Quicken in preparing the IRS return data, the surprise is unpleasant. Only 3 months banking and credit cards data is available.

Support is based in Guatemala - good and clear English but quite lost in resolving Quicken new problems of transfer to 2018 Quicken. Soon the transactions download becomes a major issue. Regular support agents would waste few hours of the user's time without finding a solution. The supervisors are equally unable and offer two unreasonable solutions: Make a manual adjustment to reconcile online balance (correct) with Quicken incorrect/imaginary balance, or, Go back line by line and verify where Quicken didn't do it correctly. Reviewing manually hundreds of transactions to enter many corrections is not very practical.

Why should one buy and pay for a program that requires more work rather than performing what the program advertised to perform? It is sad that rather than finding solutions, Quicken, now under a new management, succeeds to get by with false claims and excuses. Managing banking and credit cards on Excel and manually downloading data proves to be 100% accurate and less stressful than Quicken as everything is manageable and easily controllable.

Original review: April 3, 2018

If I could give it a negative stars I would. I have been a QuickBooks and Quicken user for over 20 years. Every one of my clients has one version or another of it so I am well versed in all their software. I can't take it anymore. To have to reset my accounts daily if it works takes way too much of my time. I wish there would be a decent competitor. I just started using Wave a free accounting app for myself and 2 small businesses. I don't know what happened to this company. I guess when you don't have competition you just dont care about your products anymore. Find something else. Paper and pencil would be quicker and easier to use at this point.

Original review: April 2, 2018

This is the worst Quicken I have ever used, and I've used Quicken for as long as I can remember. I had problems for several months with the 2017 upgrade, which I resolved thru many weeks of redoing my checkbook. I made a point of backing up Quicken EVERY SINGLE WEEK. The program starting acting funny a month ago, so I was backing up the Quicken every time I used it. The register would change settings by itself. I turned on my computer today, and all my 2018 back-ups are GONE. AND I HAVE NO TRANSACTIONS FOR 2018 AT ALL, and nothing for the last 6 months... WTF!!! Can't contact anyone at Quicken to resolve the problem, much less get a refund. Now I have to find another program at start over for this year and I am not happy one bit. Social media will hear about this.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Have been a user of Quicken software since it was DOS based. The greatest thing was when they added Bill Pay, so along comes 2018, I can somewhat understand the yearly subscription base, but why can the Bill Pay that was used for many years prior still work for Mac users but windows user must get a new account. Have been trying for several weeks to get this service to work, support service is a joke, keep telling me to create a new account and send all the info they ask for. When sent they send me an email asking if the account on my canceled check is my account. Only thing I can think of is that the management of the new Quicken is trying to run the company out of business. And if I could give negative stars would have.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Extremely difficult to migrate from Quicken 2015 to 2018. The software installation went well, but I still can't get their new Quicken Billpay system to work. Even though I've been a customer since 1992 they still require that I set up a new account from scratch in parallel to my old account. They will not transfer over anything from the old account to the new account, and I'm still waiting for them to complete their end of the account setup and approval. In addition, the new account now shows a second monthly premium even though it’s supposed to be free with the 2018 version. They have also moved their technical support to Guyana (worst ever). I asked a number of times for USA support, but they couldn’t reach them so they submitted a ticket. No one from USA technical support ever called back.

Finally, after 3 days I got through to a USA technical support guy just to have him write a service ticket to some other department. Horrible Quicken Billpay and Technical Support service since Quicken separated from Intuit. One further note, I received an encrypted e-mail from Quicken Billpay using an unknown third-party website. That website wanted me to register with personal information before displaying the Quicken message (I didn’t register). The USA technical service guy said that the Quicken Billpay online messaging system was broken and that the Quicken software people couldn’t fix it, so they started using that third-party mail service (wow). Quicken’s separation from Intuit has failed. They have fallen from a 5 star company to 1 star.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I've been a Quicken customer since it first came out and usually upgraded every other year. It was a fantastic product but it was neglected since about Quicken 2015 and now, I refuse to update to a subscription service for Quicken 2018. Upgraded to Quicken 2017 and it's perhaps the worse... It's buggy, slow, lost several years of transactions which we need for our rental property. I'm looking for a replacement. Shame, it worked so well for many years, until it became a cash cow for investors.

Original review: March 16, 2018

After my install on a Windows 10 laptop it's failed to open. After repeated tries it opens. Now I'm getting check with or call support messages as it will not open at all. I wasn't really wanting to update but I thought it can't be any worse than previous versions. I was wrong.

Original review: March 13, 2018

As I've done in the past, I've always upgraded to the lasted Quicken version. If I had know what I found out over the past days, I would have never upgraded to Quicken 2018. First, discovered 2018 was a subscription service. Second, had to create a new user id/password for BillPay. Third, new BillPay account would take 10 days to be activated. Fourth and the final straw resulting cancelling 2018 reverting back to 2017 was, Quicken required a copy of my SSN card to be sent via fax or mail as part of the 4 items they wanted to validate my identity to set-up my new BillPay account. Cannot believe in these days and times, Quicken is requiring SSN information send via an unsecured method.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I've been an avid Quicken user since 1991. The latest iteration is highly disappointing. It is buggy. Presents random errors. Locks up unexpectedly. Randomly delivers faulty calculations for the simplest algorithms (share price x share quantity = total value). One major frustration: Manually entering security quotes seems to randomly corrupt price history. The user is left with a blank field that cannot be populated. The error requires one to completely delete all transaction info about the stock, nix the security entirely, and manually re-enter the data. Operations that were once automated and transparent now require hours of repair work. Quicken is at the heart of my complex financial life, but I've given up hope. Please... This is an opportunity for an entrepreneur to quickly inherit a frustrated customer base by knocking Quicken off its tarnished pedestal with a superior product.

Original review: March 9, 2018

There are some things that I cannot seem to understand how they are still in business, and Quicken Intuit software most definitely falls in this bracket. I purchased it to assess my finances and come up with a detailed spending and budgeting plan. Well, their budget app is no longer working; has been down for over 3 months pending repair.

The finances side of things is SUCH a headache. It is nearly impossible to sync credit cards and bank accounts to the app on my PC... and on the phone, impossible! I called their 1800 # and someone tried selling me a $600+ package so I could sync my 401K investments, which was included in package I bought. Overall, complete disaster. Can say by far the least user-friendly app I have in my phone, and it struggles doing what it is supposed to do, finances and budgeting.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have used Quicken for 2 decades but I am about ready to stop. I have Quicken 2017 for Windows (7). Recently 2 of my banks won't update, I contact banks. They said KNOWN QUICKEN issues ERROR OL-221 - I call Quicken - no 800 number anymore? New owners are cheapskates screwing customers?? Same PC, accounts, software... SO I have been on hold an hour listening to crap music, I tried the 20 minute chat, an hour later zilch. TRAVESTY.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I have been using Quicken since the 90's and usually just go and buy the upgrade at Best Buy since a few times I upgraded with Quicken without the physical disk. I now have been using Q 2015 and much of my data was missing and I had to reboot the system to see it appear elsewhere. In 2018 just a few days into March a notice appeared on Quicken saying I will be disconnected from them unless I upgrade by the end of April, 2018. I like Quicken, use to it but will print out my Jan 1 to now data, and check for another program.

Intuit - Quicken Company Information