Intuit - Quicken
  • 1 star
Based on 88 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Intuit - Quicken

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 13, 2017

425 Intuit - Quicken Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I suppose I should be grateful that my Quicken works as well as it does considering all the issues other people are having. I have used Quicken for many years and up until now, it's worked pretty well. This version has been and is very flaky, to say the least. I upgraded to Quicken 2017 Deluxe some time around August and I'm just not very impressed. It's cumbersome to use and not very user friendly. Simple tasks that use to be easy are now more complicated. Going back and forth from bank websites to Quicken are definitely not as easy as before. Especially when trying to do something as easy as reconciling accounts. What a mess!!! It will make me think twice about upgrading again to Quicken if/when that time comes.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Problem number one is just identifying my account. Repeatedly I have to spell out my name, phone number and email address. Problem number two the support representatives don't know what they are doing. Once you get connected (after a very long hold time of more than 30 minutes) then another 5 to 10 minutes locating your account and explaining the problem, you’re looking at another 30 minutes while the representative researches how to fix your problem. If there is no fix available then you’re placed back in the 30 minute hold cycle while your call is being “expedited" to the next level. If you need to use this product buyer be-ware! You will need to take a day off of work just to get one problem fixed or account updated.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Windows don't fit on the screen so the only way to resolve the problem is to shut the computer down or shut the program down using task manager and restart the program. All kinds of bugs when using the program. Some of the bugs have been around for years and never been fixed. They have purchased the only viable competitor and so you're stuck with this crap software (Quicken 2017).

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

It is about the best software for tracking investments that I know of but there seem to be quite a few annoyances in how they report their data. It can never be relied upon fully therefore, to give you meaningful reporting. Using Quicken for is like using one of those email spam services that require you to inconvenience your entire contacts list by registering their email address before they can send you email. At least with them you only have to do that once and even then no one will ever email you again because they won't be bothered. They will just not email you.

With Quicken, you are constantly being nagged to log in to quicken - about every ten times or so, so as to reduce the pirating of their software. That is like having an Android app that forgets your password. Then you have to go home and see if you can find your login username and login password, and if you can't well I guess you are just out of luck. It is like having to pay an annual fee for nagware. Like you don't have anything better to do than cater to them!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

Have been using this since it was on a floppy, now here it is years and years later and the program and support is for the birds. USELESS folks putting out a botched and seriously flawed program! Have never trashed them before but now. Quicken 2016 Home & Business (upgraded from 2013 because of being forced to by greedy marketers who disconnect your version at 3 years). That should have been enough but yet I kept using and now, NOW! It is a joke. With the latest greedy update (I think 14.1) they have inserted a line of code in my QDATA file that now makes me wait for 30 seconds before even showing me my login for my QDATA file!! AND the delays instilled in institution downloads is ridiculous. The program is now more of an annoyance and irritation than a help.

Their "get satisfaction" website is a joke too. They censor and edit your posts until the root meaning of your post is lost! AND now they want to do a subscription service??? Are you kidding? The last thing I want is some stinkin' cloud server accessing my data file! It's bad enough that there is a proxy server that every single bit of financial information of yours goes through! I guess with all this technology it has come full circle back to the use of Excel or just a regular old bank register!

Forget about service and support! USELESS! This is now owned by a financial management group hellbent on PROFITS and profits only! No care whatsoever for you and your purchase and your issues...ONLY PROFIT. That is the downfall of this program. Perhaps the "millennials" like it because they don't know any better. Your financial information should live on your machine and your machine only! It won't with Quicken anymore. AND what info are they gleaning from everyone's financial information? I wish they had left it as a standalone program that lives on my machine only.

For all those with slow start issues... It is in your QDATA file, not the program files on your machine but YOUR PRIVATE FINANCIAL DATA FILE which apparently some igit at Quicken has access to!!! Otherwise there would be no delay in opening the file AND...if you disconnect from the internet and open your file it is almost instantaneous. NO DELAY. YOU do the math!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I purchased Quicken when I got a new laptop. The program worked very well and I loved it until they released the updated version. The old version becomes unstable as soon as the new - and pricey - version is released. This happened 3 years in a row! Quicken purposely allows the current versions to become unstable thereby forcing consumers to buy another year's subscription! I spent 2 hours on chat with Quicken support. The tech confirmed my complaint regarding the unstable issues, stating that I was not the only customer that complained about the same issue!

This year, as soon as the 2018 software was released, my 2017 Deluxe software became unstable and I lost almost 6 months worth of data! The data is unrecoverable even though I backed up every time I closed the program! The tech suggested I redownload the data from my financial institution! Quicken has lost my trust and certainly lost me as a customer. I requested a refund but was refused.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I paid $53.36 for the Quicken Premium Support on 9/21/17. I called them that night and they could not even understand what I was talking about and they did not help me at all. I have tried repeatedly to contact them on the number they gave me on my receipt, but it is always busy. I called the bank yesterday to try to get my money back. But in the meanwhile I wasted hours trying to fix it or reach them, but to no avail. I want to register a complaint against them.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I've used Quicken since early 1990's. Over the last several years, the program has gotten worse and worse, but especially so starting with the 2016 version. Now in the 2017, it's virtually unusable. Crashes constantly, even though I've done the "mondo patch", validated my data files, etc. It's not me... it's Quicken. The program is also painfully slow. It takes several seconds between every single field entry. Not just an entire register entry... every single field in a check register entry. Tab between entries. Wait... wait... oh there it is.

Finally, I also recently found out that Quicken actually stores my personal banking information on their cloud servers for at six months even when doing a manual bank transaction download. There's no reason for them to do that. I've now had to resort to exporting transactions from each bank account, then manually importing them into each Quicken register. Because of the prevalence of hacking into the most "protected" of cloud services... think credit bureaus, medical records, etc. etc., there's no way I want any of my personal data online. But Quicken does that and doesn't tell you how long they're keeping the data.

This program is absolutely the worst I've experienced recently. Oh yes... and don't think you can go backwards to a well-running Quicken. After three years previously the software is disabled. I understand that starting with Quicken 2018, that'll be shortened to two years, forcing yet another "update" to possibly an even bigger mess. There must be a desktop software somewhere that acts similarly to the old Quicken.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I downloaded Quicken for Windows 2018. However, upon installation I could not download from my bank. I called Quicken Support and had to wait at least a half-hour before getting to talk to a human being. I'd think that the problem of not being able to download from my bank would be a routine problem. But, I was on the phone with the tech for at least an hour. We kept going around in circles as the tech tried different fixes. Nothing worked. After an hour, I finally gave up and terminated the support call. The tech was very poorly informed about how to use Quicken. After I was off, I eventually figured out the solution myself -- no thanks to the tech that I got stuck with. (Also, there is no way to complain to Quicken about the poor support.)

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I've been using Quicken or Quickbooks for 20+ years. No more. I cannot stand being forced to sign into my local installation of the product. I get signing into a cloud version... but this is ridiculous. I paid for it, now let me use it for the love of Pete! I am now officially done Quicken.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Along with everyone else, I am also having sync problems with Quicken 2017 R15. I have been using Quicken for over 20 years and I can honestly say that I have gotten MORE error messages in these past 2 months than I have in the entire 20 years of Intuit owning Quicken. I'm a computer tech and I have tried every single trick I know and have gotten nowhere. I am not even going to waste time with Quicken support (as I read in other reviews, it is non existent). I am going to start looking for an alternative to Quicken in the morning. And I SHUDDER to think about TurboTax.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I have used Quicken since 1995. On May 4, 2016, Intuit announced the sale of Quicken to H.I.G. Capital, a global private equity firm. On or about October 19, 2017 I received a message when I went online with Quicken that forced me to register with the new company. Apparently some kind of update was installed without my knowledge.

Since October 19 my 2015 Home Business version creates fake entries, eliminates other entries, and limits the use of the cursor. It looks like the copy transaction feature is corrupt and that is why entries which are already made are affected when I use the copy feature. BUT I cannot be sure this is all there is to it because of the inconsistent nature of the bugs. Customer support doesn't help and the user forum won't listen. Use of this program has become a nightmare. My use of Quicken is mostly offline. I sometimes update my investment portfolio prices using Quicken's online feature, but all of my other entries are done manually.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have used Quicken for over 20 years. During that time, I have been very happy with the product. That all changed in September 2017 when the divestiture by Intuit was finalized. Since the migration, I have had nothing but connectivity problems. Initially, I had to reset my accounts. After a while that didn't work so I had to deactivate and reactivate my accounts. Now, even that doesn't work. I keep getting a message that it's not my fault and there is a problem with the Quicken server.

I decided to remedy the problem yesterday and, for the first time in over 20 years, I called Quicken Support. The first person I talked with was not very knowledgeable of the product, let alone the solution to the problem. I spoke with another person who had some ideas but nothing worked. After 3 1/2 hours, he said the only solution was to create a new data file. It is simple to create a new data file but quite painful to recreate all of the categories, accounts, auto transfers, etc. I will find another financial management software product or use a spreadsheet. By the way, the problem became much worse with R15.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Quicken user since 1996 and 2017. R15 is just another step down. The One Step Update has been a problem since I installed Quicken 2017. I've had to disconnect and reconnect my bank and credit card accounts, and the update might or might not work, based on the phase of the moon, the weather and my horoscope, I guess. This r15 update (which Quicken FORCED me to do) now hangs every time I try to update. About the only good thing I can say is that online backup is quicker. BUT, given the Equifax and other breaches, maybe not a great thing. Ugh. This time I WILL find another option.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Quicken 2017 - I have used Quicken for many years, essentially for basic checking etc. This year I upgraded yet again only to find out they left Intuit and to continue to use Quicken with my bank I must purchase tech support! $199 per year. They will not refund my purchase, yet it does not work! Very upset.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Have used Quicken for many years. Am continually being sent requests to purchase an upgrade. Every few years forced to purchase or program will not longer work. Tonight had a forced update that now requires me to use a password every time I open the software, forced to set up a cloud account, forced to set up a vault account. Tried to go to Quicken support. Their page says 8 minute wait for chat. I've been sitting with the chat saying waiting for agent for 43 minutes. Why can they completely change the software that I've bought and paid for. Why am I forced to install options that I don't want. Never connect on the Internet. I want the software I paid for or my money back but apparently they do not respond in their support.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I am a 20+ year Quicken user. Quicken 2017 is a disaster. The migration from Intuit to Quicken has shut me down completely and the premium tech support that I pay for is worthless. My Quicken doesn't work and Quicken has not been able to fix it. It has been one crisis after another for six months. I called the bank to find out what other software I can use and was told there is none. Quicken is the only banking software that Wells Fargo, my bank supports. I don't know how I will make the reports I need for my business. If anyone knows about other software I would appreciate learning about it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

BILL PAY NO LONGER SUPPORTED VIA BANK OF AMERICA - I have used Quicken Home and Business Bill Pay via my bank for many years, since Intuit's BILL PAY service has a very very bad the reputation!!! Since October 2017 update, Quicken no longer supports BILL PAY capability through your financial institution. You are forced to pay Quicken $9.95/month to use their service. I will look to migrating to another money management product. Fed up with Quicken's customer support.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I have used Quicken since Version 2 in 1986 and have paid for countless updates. This new Quicken 2017, independent of Intuit, is a disaster. The migration has been one screw-up after another. And impossible to get any help. I'm in a loop of requests for new ID and new P/W. In the meantime, I can't access my account.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I have been using this software since the beginning. Since processing their "required" update under "Quicken" and not "Intuit" it has become a piece of trash. Fonts all different sizes having to keep changing views to even SEE the account. They keep telling me I have the incorrect password TWICE... I DON’T. I don't know who runs this company, but they have no clue what the heck they are doing. Their "support" HAHA website states they are having issues... Really??? Better clean up your act. In addition, they claim they have broken from "Intuit" but through the password corrections, I still see "Intuit"? What's the deal???

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Received email today after login to Quicken that update R11-14 were being added. Somewhere during the update that wanted to change my login password, which I did. No longer after several tries can I get into Quicken. I am total blocked out, phone support today said 2 hours wait time, and the internet support 30 minutes wait time, well I have been waiting support over 60 minutes. This is non-existence support. What gives. I need to find another company. Have been using this company over 20 years, but it really going to in flames, just about as bad as American Express customer support, which is pretty non-existence.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

My wife called earlier and was on hold for more than 25 minutes. I tried to use chat tonight and was told there was a 20 minute hold. When the support person came online, there was no chime just a written message and I was one minute late. We are trying to reconcile Quicken. The opening balance and ending balance are correct and the items cleared are correct but it doesn't balance.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have been a user of Quicken for several years, but after today's encounter with their technical support I'm do with Quicken. I had password issues getting into my online account ever since I install 2017. It never accepts my password and when I change it the process always fails. Tech support now charges a fee to reset/unlock your online account. After several attempts with their tech support, I was told that I should uninstall their software and quit using it. They did not want customer like me to use their product. I filed a formal complaint with Quicken Customer service, but was informed that I would have to pay their service fee to unlock my account. Goodbye Quicken, If this is your attitude I'm done with your products.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Quicken Deluxe 2017 - One of the basis of Quicken's existence is in the managing of a Checking type account, which is a mirror of a paper checkbook register that you and I used to deal with before using Quicken. Other types of accounts in Quicken use the same methodology and therefore the logic that drives the maintenance of the account that is the same or similar. The specific function that I'm having some trouble with is the RECONCILE function. It starts with a small window that requests important information. That being: 1) The Ending date of a period of time (like a Month); 2) The Starting Balance of money for the period of time, and 3) The Ending Balance of money in the period of time on that date.

Once this is accepted, the next window in the sequence is the two sided window showing all the additions and subtractions from the account in question. Most of the operational action takes place in this window. BUT - in order to make any progress in the second window and subsequently in the overall balancing of the period of time in question, that small window mentioned at the beginning of the sequence is absolutely required.

The problem at this time is that the small window is NOT BEING SHOWN and therefore the account can not be properly balanced!!! Where is that window in the sequence? I have been able to determine that this problem is showing up in only 2 of the 15 accounts that I have in place at this time. The other accounts in my file process as they should just fine. This problem has only started in the past week or two, about. And I know that it started after the update to Rel 10 (a bad word I have found out) on or about Aug 22, 2017. I have been attempting to research this bug, but can't find any information or work around for it. After all the years of operation using Quicken (of many versions), I have been able to find work-arounds for problems that I find. But I haven't been able to determine a course of action for this one.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

After being a loyal customer since graduation from college (1990), it's finally time for me to ditch Quicken. I've upgraded each time the version I was using was losing its support. Then perhaps about 2010, I started upgrading regularly when a newer version became available. Well, I really regret upgrading to 2016. I've had nothing but one downloading issue after another. Always getting a message that the account was updated when it wasn't. Or that I had to "reactivate" the same accounts to avoid seeing the error messages. Which turned out to be not true at all. Currently, I have 4 accounts that can't be updated in Quicken without having to go through the process of "fixing" it and the account still will not update. Now the errors I'm getting tells me that my password/ username info is incorrect. Again... Not true!! Now I have to decide if I just keep manually updating the accounts or switch to a new product!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Every release of Quicken is worse than the previous release. The latest Windows update of Quicken 2017, called R10, is a success, in that it's so bad, it's generating thousands of complaints on the company-moderated forum, and Quicken have taken to deleting the most researched and eloquent posts and replies. If they could fire Mueller, they would.

They have sunk so low, they are openly mocking customers. Every day there are many new posts about R10 failing on automatic updates, with a bug that cannot be overcome, and often those posts are greeted with the reply that this is the first the bug has been reported. This bug has been outstanding for several weeks, and some customers report they have reverted to using Excel or switched to other personal finance products. Customer support hangs up if you call and say "R10". Literally. On both chat and the phone. Which is fine, as they clearly don't use the product. And their proficiency in English is modest and limited, so don't use nuance or idiomatic expressions.

The CEO, Eric Dunn, is oblivious to the poor quality of the product. His latest communication with customers (and communication with Mr. Dunn is a one-way street) is a promise to add many new features to Quicken, and no acknowledgement of the poor quality of the current product and no commitment to improvement. Donald Trump is not the only chief executive who is in way over his head and out of his league. In his defense, no one has presented evidence that Mr. Dunn has direct ties to Vladimir Putin.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I have been using Quicken since inception, we were forced to purchase Quicken 2015 which offered little to no benefit, but now a major problem is unable to connect 2015 to Wells Fargo. Honestly, I believe they are trying to push 2017 or 2018 onto their customers. In looking at the Intuit site and the complaints "The conversation is now closed" after three complaints about the issue. (problem started 3 day's ago) Instead of patch, now we have to remove Quicken from the computer entirely, start over again with the original disc and add the patches. I have now opted to download and add, since WFC charges $3 per month, and the updates have a lag of 2-3 days with Quicken so I will add manually.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Quicken 2015 failure - I've used Quicken for at least 15 years, maybe more. The experiences over the years with their support has been marginal at best, requiring forking over small amounts, $35 or so for sometimes bad solutions after a version's warranty had expired, but nothing like the one I just had, with Quicken's "advanced" (read, stick it to you hard for $$$) support when, out of the blue, I began getting error code OL **, unable to "update."

After checking with my bank, who said the problem is with Quicken, I spent an hour with someone with a strong Indian accent, who said he couldn't fix it and was transferring me to "advanced" support. After an hour of razzle dazzle mumbo jumbo BS, he give me the price to solve the problem, starting with the least expensive at $499 for one year's "advanced" support.

I finally had to stop him and tell him how ridiculous he was. He finally went into a huff. My cynical nature suggests the situation has changed radically since Intuit sold Quicken to some hedge fund group, who are perhaps bent on wringing every possible dollar out of their old customer base. Maybe not. But this was the last straw. I'm done with Quicken. Fork tender. Now going with Mint (still owned by Intuit) and my own bank's online payment system. Bye bye Quicken, it was nice knowing you those first few years after I switched from "Managing Your Money", but these last few have been a huge headache.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Yes we all know that Quicken has been going downhill for years and the 2017 version seems to have put them just below the Marianas trench. Basically the only thing it does well is use up hard drive space. It's slow to load, does not connect to financial institutions, and when and if it does it will not update properly. Way too many problems to list here. It would be nice if we could start a class action suit and get our money back. But we all know they'll buy their way out of it. Save your hard earned money from the thieves at Intuit and just make yourself a nice Excel spreadsheet like I did. Problem solved.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I bought Quicken 2017 in February 2017 and it have been a constant battle. NOTHING in this program works correctly. EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF THIS PROGRAM IS DYSFUNCTIONAL. It takes hours and hours and hours to correct issues with my budget, my register, my bill reminders, my loan management, synchronizing with the Quicken app, only to have it all screwed up again the next time I try to use the software. DO NOT BUY.

Intuit - Quicken Company Information