3.8/5 (156 ratings)
Find a Business Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About Intuit - Quicken

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

Intuit - Quicken Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - Quicken?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - Quicken?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Well, what can I say? I have been a Quicken user for over 15 years, when it started I would buy the software for $35 and use it for 3-4 years before having to pay for an upgrade. Then they made it internet subscription based at $52 annually, I complied and continued forward. I have never had any major issues until today! Something has happened and I can't get my bank transactions from my main bank although all of my other accounts are working fine in quicken. I reached out to quicken tech support thinking they would help, after all I am paying them yearly for their service. Nope! They want me to subscribe to an additional backup service or they cannot help me! Guess I will be cancelling my subscription and sharing my horrible experience with everyone instead!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Quicken has been getting better but the almost daily software updates... seem like the consumer is doing their beta testing, Bill Manager setup didn't work after 10 times trying. On BILL MANAGER $9.95 monthly is billed as Paypal with no description included!!! Checked with Billpay and my bank and no one could tell me where payment went.... RIDICULOUS...FIX IT.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

I cancelled my Bill Manager, horrible program, even worse service. Never had a problem with Bill Pay. Bill Manager missed payment dates, example I put in a payment on September 6 for an October 1 payment. They cut the check on October 1 but didn't mail it that day. Was received 9 days later. Never happened with Bill Pay. I was charged a late fee of $240.29! When I called said I needed to read the service terms: here they are:

"Payments. It is your responsibility to initiate processing for any payment prior to the Due Date and to ensure that there is enough time to complete the payment prior to the Due Date. It is your responsibility to submit payments to arrive by the Due Date specified on the bill or statement. If you initiate processing on a date that causes payment to be delivered after the Due Date, we are not responsible for any late charges that you may be charged by the Payee." I would suggest September 6 to October 1st is more than enough time! Cancelled subscription which I've had for probably 20 years. Tried a new online payment and what do you know, my payment was received on time.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Now that Quicken has moved to a new online bill payment scheme, the product has gone from generally useful to absolutely worthless. As a user for over 20years, I have generally been satisfied and have successfully managed my bills and investments using electronic payments. Now, it is half baked software. I suspect these absurd changes to the product revolving around electronic payment will result in a loss of revenue for Intuit. Intuit competitors must be all jumping for joy!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I have been a Quicken user for 10+ years. I used Quicken for all my bills. The new platform on Quicken Bill Pay gives me zero confidence that my payments are done as scheduled and on time. I have to run updates daily to ensure payments and billing cycles are up to date. To update billing it takes too long for the current billing cycle to appear, gives warning about dates being set for future payments that are too short in time without the opportunity to set payments for future times such as vacation. The system seems to be lagging in its ability to link with Payees, sometimes passwords are accepted and other times not. There is no credibility in the new platform and is not user friendly. I don't this the new platform was tested well before public release. I would rate this product as a zero-star if possible.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I have been a long and loyal user of Quicken for the last 23+ years. I have on a daily basis downloaded transactions from my numerous banking and investing accounts and have NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS, until recently. I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to update and reconcile my accounts to no avail. After struggling to find solutions on my own I finally called Quicken Support. I have spent the last 4 day, making 5 different calls totaling a 3 1/2 hours and STILL NO SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM. I have now spent the last hour trying to find a number to call here in the USA (all calls are routed to Guatemala) to complain and find the next level of help. I will give them one more chance, (someone is suppose to call me tomorrow from the home office) to fix my problem or I will delete Quicken and try to find another financial software program.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

Moved over to Quicken in November after 8 years using another product. Main reason for switch was the online bill payment service. Switched all accounts over and set up the online payment service (which was quite convoluted, difficult and time consuming) and finally got it working. Was working very nicely and was able to pay all bills either electronically or through checks they would write. Come August, Quicken changed companies and now I have a limit of 12 electronic payments and 3 physical checks - limits I did not have before. Now, in order to get the same experience I had before, I will have to pay $49.95 a month (basically $600 more a year) to get the same number of transactions!!!

Needless to say the transition to the new service has been another total nightmare that took me hours on technical support lines (and I'm pretty technically savvy) and has not worked flawlessly - I've actually had some late payments due to the transition. I spent the last hour going through 3 levels of supervisors to all tell me basically "tough". You either sign up to pay more or you're out of luck. Horrible customer service. If anyone knows of a class action - I'm jumping on it. This is the biggest bait and switch I've ever seen.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I have been a Quicken customer for a number of years. It has been "OK" at best, but yesterday they trashed it. I had to do the newest upgrade and it blew away my data. I have spent hours trying to fix and their advice and customer service in general were horrible!! Certainly will look for an option now!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

Like others here, I have used Quicken for 20+ years though it has always been subpar software. It has always had issues syncing, paying bills, adding accounts, generating reports. However, most recently they have removed their only useful remaining unique feature: online bill payment. They claim to have replaced it with a new "Quicken Bill Manager" but this feature does not work, and will only cause users to waste frustrating hours attempting to use it. Do not purchase this software. If you are an existing customer, like me, you have my profound sympathy. I will revert to using my bank's online bill payment system.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I have been a loyal quicken user for about 20 years. I rarely had issues except during their upgrades, which were usually rectified fairly quickly. Since the switch to their new Billpay feature, it has been nothing but frustration, and I still can't pay my bills online through Quicken. I used to spend about 5-10 minutes twice a month to pay bills online using Quicken. Now, each time I try to pay bills through Quicken, I spend countless hours re-entering information I had already entered before, trying to figure out why bill payments failed, chatting online or on the phone with their support, only to not be able to pay my bills.

In two months, I have only had about 3 bills successfully go through (out of many attempts). I have resorted to using vendor websites, my bank website and writing checks the old-fashioned way. Why they took a system that functioned well and replaced it with something that, even if it does work, if far more complicated, less intuitive, less flexible (cannot pay a bill until the system pulls in the bill amount from the vendor website, even if you know exactly what amount you need to pay) and highly frustrating! Quicken Billpay is a TOTAL fail!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I have been an avid Quicken user for over 25 years. I would always update to the most recent version. Up until it became a subscription service, I was a staunch supporter and relied on the software to help me keep accurate track of my finances. This year however, every time I did an online update all my account balances were in disagreement. Correcting this required hours of painstaking reconciliation to weed out incorrect and duplicate transactions. This was rewarded with another scrambling of balances at the next online update. This is too much work.

I have stopped using the program and scan my accounts online now. I may not get the reporting about where I am spending but at least I don't have to spend hours every month trying to correct Quicken accounts. The Help support system has a very poor handle on how the software works and is not helpful. I am switching to Moneyspire. As long as I have to go through everything manually this seems to work just as well.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I have been using Quicken since it first came out. They just changed their bill payment system. It is the worst thing I have ever seen. It takes many more steps, it's much more complicated and you can't set up bills to pay more than 2 months out. I will definitely look into other finance programs and other bill payment systems.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

I've used Quicken for over 10 years, and was a very satisfied customer until they went to software as a service SAS model. Since then I have had more difficulty using the product with barriers like having to log in to my Quicken account, to lost data, file corruption, and lockups. I spent 45 minutes the other day trying to pay one bill. Frustration is getting high! Starting to seem like a checkbook and ledger would be less time consuming as a bill pay method. Quicken - Go back to selling software that works. You don't have the on-line model figured out yet. This rant was initiated by my trying to download my account data at 11:30 on a Saturday morning and getting the message: "Quicken's online service is unavailable at this time. Please wait at least ten minutes, then try again. We apologize for the inconvenience." Apologies don't get the job done!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

New ownership, management, proclaimed attitude has not changed to quality or reliability of this product. Nor has the increase in revenue generated by switching to a annual fees. The lack of competition mean as users we have no choice. Other leading software that I use does not crash, drop transactions at download, offer no tools to repair these issues, limited support etc. Exporting of data continues to be weak, and inflexibility of the interface an issue. Let's hope the competitors step up so can switch. One star is generous.

Original review: July 14, 2020

I am a 28 year Quicken user. I have purchased many upgrade CD's over the years - at my choosing. Quicken has determined that in order to make more money for their CEO's and stockholders that they must convert to an annual "membership". If this weren't bad enough, when the "upgrade" occurs, data since the last upgrade is deleted. As a professional, I neither am open to nor appreciative of this immense disrespect of my time and work, usually occuring at tax time when I need the information the most.

Quicken has been ZERO help in recovering my data and accused me of not using their product "as instructed". In fact I did use it as instructed, which may have lead to the loss of data. They have offered and seem to be quite proud of their position on this. Worse this year, after a year of not having close control of my finances, they are demanding another "membership fee". Time to go to Quickbooks for my personal and professional needs. They actually understand accounting, offer professional grade products, and back their service for their clients. Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me!

Original review: July 8, 2020

Used Quicken over 20 years. I tried to open Quicken and received a message that Quicken could not open. It said to try to open again, if that did not open Quicken to call the number listed. (This occurred right after a update of Quicken). I called the number. They took control of my computer and said that it was not a software issue rather corrupted files and it would require a fee to restore my data. My alternative was to eliminate 20 years of data and reload the program which I did rather than pay a fee. I wrote a letter to Quicken and received a phone call. I was told that there was no record of my phone call to Quicken. Since I eliminated my data they could provide no assistance and did not offer any resolution. I used on line Quicken only to update stocks quotes and everything else I did manually. As a result, I will never trust Quicken and would never put any sensitive information into the program.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I have used Quicken for many years purchasing the software outright. Now, Quicken is attempting to force me to switch to a subscription model, urging me to upgrade to their new system with hidden threats and now the frequent occurrence of crashes which had never happened before since I first began to use Quicken over 16 years ago. Is this a ploy to force me to upgrade?

Is time for Attorney General to stop companies from changing course and forcing consumers to continue to support their products under new conditions that were not explained at the time of the purchase of the product. If more of us write complains to the State and the Office of Consumer Affairs, it may be possible to punish these companies that are now seeking to rewrite the conditions of purchasing of goods. Is there any decent lawyer that is willing to start this reaction. Quicken is doing the same thing that Wink attempted to do with a different item.

Original review: May 31, 2020

My question: why does the download transactions flag stay on? No help. One technician wanted me to close my present account and create new ones. MUCH work for me. I SAID, "NO. Gave me phone # to call back later." I used search GOOGLE and found this: Quicken Windows - red flag but no transactions to review bug. I GOT: Spring Davidson Member February 2018 edited April 2019 in FAQ'S (Windows) I used this and fixed my problem. My big question is "WHY COULDN'T the Technician show me this."

Original review: May 29, 2020

I agree with most of the problems with the "NEW" Quicken. Although hard to find a better product given 20 years experience using the Old Quicken (non-sub), many of the issues may be SEC, GAAP, among other serious issues with "NEW" Quicken. There are plenty of software bugs including screen skewing issues (compatibility most likely with WIN/PC Platforms), refresh issues with login, verify after trying to add bank/credit card numbers, account numbers on credit card paying, flexibility on "PAY" immediate, knowing really what service is handling bill pay (??? Old Bill Pay, or New Bill Manager/Bill Pay, how to cancel old expiring Quicken BILL Pay..many, many more...QUICKEN Software development needs to address many of these issues and more or you will not have a customer base. IT SHOULD BE AN EXCELLENT PRODUCT if problems, tech support, functionality, feature(s) improvement is addressed.

Original review: May 20, 2020

The new owners have replaced QuickenBillPay with Quick Pay (direct electronic payment) and Check Pay (they will send a check). Neither of these are intuitively designed, neither work as advertised. I paid for Premier, with the included premium tech support -- after two hours in the first two weeks, I figured out how to do some things MYSELF. Tech support was useless - they don't know the product, they don't know how to make it work. AND there are monthly quotas = limits to the number of bills you can pay per month. And no apparent mechanism to increase that. As soon as I find time, I will replace the mess. After 20 years of loyalty to this product, you'd think they would have been ready for prime time before railroading people into a beta version.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I purchased Quicken to capture and report my bank and credit card transactions. The Quicken file (.qfx) export function on the website was working fine until the end of February. It was at that time that the export started showing purchases on the card as debits and payments as credits. This completely messed up my reporting. Logged an issue with their customer support on March 5th. After a number of followups both online and through their support line I received the following response on April 10th.

"I apologize in the delay in responding as we have received a larger than normal volume. I apologize about this issue of not being able to export your transactions to Quicken. I do see an agent sent a ticket to the technical team supporting the online system; however I do not have a time frame when this will be resolved. Unfortunately, just to let you know, this is not a priority or an issue for most cardholders so will likely not be looked into for some time due to nature of the times."

I appreciate the fact that they are receiving a larger than normal volume, and my issue being low priority, but over two months to resolve a simple technical issue (not an enhancement request) speaks volumes of their inability to support this customer facing service. On the occasion of the call to their support line, the representative taking my call and recording my issue clearly had no experience with computers, web browsers or the functionality of their own website. An overall frustrating experience and worries me if I run into a real financial issue with transactions or points.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I have been a Quicken user for over 20 years. Like many others, I am unhappy with the new renewal fee program. What used to cost $40 every 3 years, now costs $53.11 each year! I'm looking for an alternate program, but it seems Quicken is the best. Maybe Quicken management will start reading these reviews and offer a more reasonable fee program.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I have used Quicken and QuickBooks for many years. In every case, I purchased the software outright. I was using Quicken 2017 until now. Quicken made the decision to go to a subscription model and have been urging an upgrade. As of May 1, 2020, they disabled some features in the older versions, rendering them much more difficult to use. (Downloading bank activity, etc..). I'm sure their lawyers have figured out a way to make it legal, but, in my opinion, they took away features that I had purchased. Legal recourse is probably a waste of money and time, but I will never do business with Intuit again.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I have been a Quicken user and utilizing Bill Pay for 20 years. In November while using Quicken 2017 I lost the ability to use Bill Pay. No one at Quicken could answer why and at Bill Pay, I received a bit more explanation and that Quicken was rolling out the new subscription platform and this could be related. All Quicken could offer for repair was that I subscribe and that my Q2017 would no longer be supported beginning in April.

So, I subscribed to Quicken Premiere Q2020. Unfortunately, not disclosed before this purchase, Q2020 will not utilize Bill Pay and you must use Quicken's Bill Manager. None of this and what follows was disclosed in the offering advertisement. So, I subscribed to Bill Manager which when I got it set up I learned 1) you cannot schedule payment (you make payment the moment it is entered), 2) that you get very few uses of the payment system and have to pay to use the same number provided with the Bill Pay service, 3) that even if you did want to purchase additional bill payments - you can't as it is not yet offered, 4) none of the Payee information carries over to Bill Manager so if you have 50 accounts that you use from time to time you better have your accounts information available to set them up in Bill Manager, and so on.

In short - I canceled my Q2020 subscription and am looking for another software solution or I will just pay bills through my bank's online service. My loss was many hours of waiting online to talk to support agents (the promise in the advertisement that Premiere provides quicker support is not true unless you feel a minimum of 40 minutes for each call is faster). I do very much appreciate the sensitivity of the technical support people and their good character as they must be getting a lot of fallout from what must be a money grab scheme devised by a change in Quicken ownership. My advice, run away from Quicken 2020 until they have a working product to offer that will at least do as well as the previous product.

Original review: March 11, 2020

2 days ago I renewed my Quicken program. It used to really chafe me that they wanted renewal every 3 years. Now we are forced to renew every year which means they have tripled their revenue. In spite of that they are too cheap to hire support personnel. I wasted 2-1/2 hours today trying to get through to ask why they havent provided a download for the program I purchased. After all these years they seem to have gone out of their way screw up what should be a seamless procedure.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I used Quicken without too many hiccups for many years, although I chaffed at having to "upgrade" every three years in order to keep getting the same services I had been getting all along (ability to download transactions from my bank). More recently, the price has been going up, up, up to the point of now having to pay every year (subscription) for a product that seems worse, not better. SO... I jumped off the bandwagon last year and switched to another product and am glad I did. The part that really frosts me is that on their website, Quicken posts a "data access policy" that claims to guarantee that you can continue to access your old data files even if you don't have a current subscription. As soon as my version went out of date, I could not longer open my existing data files!

I chatted on-line with Quicken support and they said they could not help because they no longer support my version (2016 Deluxe) and would only help me (with the apparent Quicken ID/password issue) if I bought a new subscription! In other words, their "data access policy" is a huge LIE! I read that Intuit sold Quicken to a holding company a few years ago. If true... you can bet that all they're trying to do is maximize revenues (a la "subscription" pricing) in order to make more when they sell it down the road.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I use this program only to track my expenses manually. Not connected to my bank accounts. They made me renew last year because they said they were bought by a new company, and all old accounts were deleted. They said I would always have access to my data. This year, the problem is half my screen is taken up with banners telling me to renew so my data is there, but I have to navigate around their advertising to see it. Tech support cannot remove the banners. Do not buy this program. The company tries to rip off their customers at every opportunity.

Resolution response: Feb. 26, 2020

I received an email from the company stating that it was not my program that was at fault when it stopped working. They stated that the program would continue to work, but not be updated. I was able to reload the program on a different computer. This one using Windows 10 and it does seem to be working, although it tries to update, stops and gives me a message to the effect that update failed. I close the message and am able to restart the program.

While I am pleased that I was able to reload and continue to use the program, I can not update my star rating. I am still leery of the program shutting me out of my financial data. I am investigating alternatives, but the only one that does not seem to be subscription or cloud based is GnuCash. I am evaluating the program, but will stay with my Quicken 2016 as long as I can.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I used Quicken for 20+ years and was very pleased. Until now: 2016 quit, tried latest patch (no go), and then reinstall (blocked at Intuit login and seemingly no way to bypass). On-line support unable to help. Cannot get program to run or access financial data. Used 2016 because it was a standalone program and I do not use on-line banking services. I have little use for subscription based programs when I do not use the on-line services. Additionally, I do not like the idea of my data floating around the "cloud."

My needs are pretty simple; checking and savings accounts, credit cards, and basic investment accounts. Quicken served these needs very well until the last couple of years. I could tolerate the "upgrade nag," but the program stoppage is over the top. Needless to say, I am now searching for a replacement program, standalone and non-subscription based.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Long time user. Once sold by Intuit, went to hell. Spent countless hours with totally incompetent people to get it going, then it would update and break again. I only use it once a year doing taxes. For a while, they have splashed banners asking to update and threatening the connected services would be shut off. So what, I don't use any. This year, 2020, for tax year 2019, the simple import of a file already downloaded from my credit union that they don't even connect to, demanded a $45+ update. I understand that software companies are moving to subscription services but this is a total change of policy on the software I bought when it was not subscription on their side only. That's Bait & Switch fraud.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

It just turned 2020 so my Quicken 2017 is really just a bit over 2 years old. I paid full price for the product and was promised certain functions. Lo and behold, today I received an email from them stating that unless I pay them more money, in essence, they're rendering what I purchased from them useless. Hard to believe that a company, once owned by a reputable company, Intuit, does this to its client base and thinks they can do it with complete impunity. Of course, in addition to sharing my terrible experience with as many potential buyers of their product as I can, I will be moving onto Mint which offers pretty much the same functionality as Quicken but without the bait and switch.

Intuit - Quicken Company Information