3.56/5

543 Intuit - Quicken Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been using Quicken 2015, any problems, I get the same excuse... "We are no longer supporting that version". I am hearing all these problems with the new versions and really don't want to go to a new version. Yes, I get the 20% off, 40 % off new versions, however mine works pretty well and I don't use online banking, just checkbook and invoicing. Each time they want to update my account I click "NO". Well, today I try to sign on... my records are gone!! I have a critical update to Quicken that has been downloaded onto my system without my knowledge. I am beyond angry, this is hijacking my personal files!! I paid for 2015. It is mine and Quicken should not be able to hide? Or destroy? my files!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I purchased Quicken 2018, and I am glad an own Parallels, as Quicken 2018 for Mac does not come close to the Windows versions I have used for years. I am looking at alternatives, as Quicken for PC is my only use for VMs. I had purchased the Mac version two years in a row, hoping it would someday match the PC version. Fortunately, this purchase allowed you to download Mac or PC version, so I did not waste Money like in the previous years. https://bit.ly/2HjUWFv.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I too have been a user since my first computer (DOS) in 1995. This latest upgrade to "Deluxe" (5.10.00) has frightened me. How can different reports with the same category labels (Income from a particular source - supposedly directly from my bank) have different amounts in the same category on different reports? WOW. I can't believe the sloppiness. If the banks revised their programs allowing mistakes like this, God help us. No wonder the Quicken "free" caller support lines are non-stop busy.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have used Quicken since the mid-90's. I used to love it but now it seems to always have issues and I'm always "logging-in" to their site for heaven knows why. Right now; 1.) the Reports screen won't open properly, 2.) stub-tabs, such as "Bills, Income, Transfers" and "Projected Balance" disappear every time I move to a different section. To fix it, I then have to go to "View" and change another menu. Very frustrating. 3.) Also, the budget graph and the "total" under the planning section are totally worthless. What in the heck are they showing you?! Plus, the "Everything Else" is also a big annoyance. I would suggest to the designers that they should actually use the product before using it.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I used to use Microsoft's Money software, which worked well. But eventually I upgraded my laptop and since Money had been discontinued, I purchased Quicken software: the desktop version. I have inconsistent internet in my area, so this new subscription model that everyone is moving to doesn't work for me as a business owner. I was able to import my Money files, so I started out ok with Quicken. But as years have gone by, the program has downloaded duplicate entries, or missed a ton of entries, and though I have it set to base reconciliation on my bank balance and actual transactions, nothing matches. I have to re-categorize everything constantly and the worst problem is that it considers every cross-account transfer to be income, so my reports make it look like I'm rolling in dough.

I have to use a calculator to go through and deduct every transfer in order to get an accurate cash flow figure. As years go by, these little things add up to a giant mess. My Quicken accounts bear little resemblance to my actual accounts and the reports it generates are useless. I end up pulling out my old paper ledger and figuring everything out manually. I'm looking at Quickbooks, but I'm really frustrated that I paid for Quicken software and it did nothing but make a huge mess of my accounting.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Updated on 01/31/2019: One week after cancelling, Quicken Bill Pay withdrew money from my account for a bill but never paid it. It was my phone bill, so now I've paid my phone bill twice but the quicken payment was not received. Another forty minutes on the phone with Quicken Bill Pay Support (in the Philippines) and I was told "yes, that money came out and didn't go to a bill, but we'll put it back in six days."

I would not recommend ANYONE do business with Quicken. Their product is not worth the time, money, or stress. I thought that by paying a company a subscription that I would at least be paying for customer service, but that was not the case. I have received better and faster support from companies that don't charge anything. In my opinion, quicken should stay in the 1990's when it was a worthwhile product.

Original Review: Decided to subscribe to Quicken and their online bill pay. In three weeks, I had a late payment and two bills process early resulting in two overdraft fees from my bank. I called Quicken support, and they said their software isn't smart enough to avoid giving my bank account a negative balance. While my company's payroll was a day late, I feel like financial software in charge of managing my accounts and paying my bills should be able to avoid negative account balances as a result of their automation. Customer support did not care, and cancelled my account rather than work with me and my issues.

Quicken Bill Pay was not so easy to delete. They had me on the phone for 30 minutes telling me I would be charged for their bill pay service regardless of how it was functioning or whether I would use it. I was speaking to bill pay support as I drove down to my bank to close my account to prevent them from charging me when they finally admitted that I was in a trial period anyway. Turns out 30 minutes of bluster and I was correct after all (after demanding to speak to a supervisor 3 times and being told no). I will never use their shoddy service and will loudly share my experience with anyone who will listen.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I recently purchased a new laptop and wanted to download my Quicken to it. I went to the Quicken website, signed in, went to my account and hit download from the purchase list. I noticed it stated I purchased it on 7/8/18. I had used my Quicken last in 2016 but wanted to start utilizing it with my new laptop. Once Quicken was downloaded and launched it was empty and then stated this version is no longer supported. Now it is useless. I chatted with customer support and all they said was, “We no longer support that version. Check out our 2019 version and upgrade.” I explained to them that I am not going to be putting any more money into their company.

The Original Cost of Quicken 2015 Home and Business was: Quicken Home & Business: Manage their business and personal finances in the same place. $114.99. Customers that had already purchased the full version of Quicken should have the option to update and not purchase a membership. It should hold the "grandfather Clause" but nope they apparently do not see it that way and wiped their long time customers. That is insane. I will no longer deal with a company the extorts their customers. Copied Directly From MY Account: Quicken 2015 Home & Business. Platform: Windows Download. Date Purchased: July 8, 2018. Download Quicken.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I've been using Quicken since 1995 with reasonable success. I upgraded to 2019 since Quicken Bill Pay is included with Quicken Premier saving me $120 and offsetting the now annual subscription required for Quicken. There were no substantial changes with Quicken 2019, except they changed some of the formatting. They increased the width of the entry lines with a relatively small font. Hence you see less on the page and it's harder to read, quite effective if they're trying to drop their older users. User experience aside I could live with it. The most disappointing issue is with Quicken Bill Pay. To get the 'free' Quicken Bill Pay, you need to establish a new account through Metavante Payment Services. They warned me up front not to transfer from the old services since it may take awhile to setup the new one. I'm glad I did... I started the process Oct 10, 2018 to setup the account which includes verifying your funding accounts.

However, they never verified the account with 2 small deposits as they stated. I called customer service and they informed me that they were not able to read all the documentation I originally sent since they could not clearly read the fax (this was the only way they would receive the docs, and yeah, I know, I'm older and I still had one). Regardless, I insisted they should be able to receive an email with pdf files and they eventually agreed. After another few weeks, no reply. I called again, and there was another issue with their account setup and they now required more documentation. But like the first issue, they do not send you any notice there is an issue, you only find out after you call them back.

I complied, and I re-sent them all the information and the customer rep entered the account information again. This was early December 2018. It's now Jan 16, 2019. Account still not setup and no response. I will not be making any further attempts to resolve. I'll continue using Quicken until my current subscription expires, and I'll need to continue paying the $10/month for the 'free' Quicken Bill Pay. But once it expires, I'm done with Quicken. This will be a very disappointing end to a product I've used for 23 years... Looking at some of the other reviews, I'm not alone.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have been unable to download my bank transactions. Everything is fine with USAA and the first download was a success. I have spent untold hours to incorporate all of the changes, without any company support. The company might consider a forum as support but I don't. My advice for support is to find another company and purchase their product. Support is a joke.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I've used Quicken for my personal finance management for the last 20 years and have been very happy with it. However, the original company sold the personal finance software in 2018 and kept the QuickBooks Products. The new owners have made some changes and since they have taken over my software has crashed repeatedly and I've lost entries in the process. However, they seem to be focusing on marketing the product rather than maintaining the software. I would no longer recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have been a Quicken user for 20+ years. My laptop is having problems, I need to take it apart and replace some hardware and clean it. Before doing that I need to have another computer up and running in case something happens. I use my computer all day, every day so being without one is not an option. I installed Quicken onto a backup laptop that I have kicking around. I backed up the Quicken data file on the old and copied it to the new. When I try to open Quicken on the new computer, it demands that I log in. When I try to log in, it doesn't recognize my email address ID even though I receive email (spam) from Quicken at that address almost daily.

On the old computer, I went to the Quicken support site to try and get some help. It too wanted me to log in, which I did with no problem, or so I thought. After I log in, I am taken to what appears to be a home page. I click on the Support link and am brought to a new page...but I am no longer logged in! Of course, it won't let me post a question without being logged in! So, I log in again and the same thing happens. Seems to me QUICKEN REALLY DOESN'T REALLY WANT ANYONE USING THEIR SUPPORT SITE!

So OK, I'll call support even though I will have to pay long distance charges. I am connected with a woman I can barely understand because her accent is so thick. She asks for my email address, when she repeats it back to me it isn't even slightly close to what I had said. But it doesn't matter, she won't/can't help me anyway. To make the rest of the story short, my only option is to pay them for an upgrade! It will cost $45 that I do not have to upgrade to a new version on which will never, ever use the "new & improved" bells & whistles! I suppose they think they have a captive customer base. Surprise Quicken! After 20 years, I am in the market for new software. You have lost a long-time, formerly loyal customer. This should be a simple thing: install the software that I bought a couple of years ago, copy the data file over and I'm good to go. But no, QUICKEN HAS TO MAKE IT AS EXPENSIVE AND DIFFICULT AS POSSIBLE.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Upgraded to Quicken 2019 after many years of using Quicken. The new version forced a new signup for Quicken Bill pay. It is now over three weeks without getting the bank authorization completed. Four calls to support. I've now been put on the high priority waiting list but told to call back in another week. Quicken is not taking responsibility. The support staff just says they are having problem with the vendor so not Quicken's problem. There is another serious aggravation that the upgrade deleted all of my online vendor so that everything now has to be entered again...if I ever get the bank authorized. I recommend that no one upgrade to Quicken 2019. Wait until 2020, maybe they will have it solved by then.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have been using Quicken Bill Pay for more than 15 years and in 2018 I enrolled into new version. This was in September when I created the first user login and then since nobody contacted me I decided to call them. They told me that my user was cancelled and needed to enroll again. I did enroll and they asked me to submit my social security, void check, and bill and ID which I submitted and nothing happened again. Not sure what else to go to get new version as I am not able to pay my bill through Quicken. Please help me. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I must agree with the majority of reviews on this forum. I have been a Quicken user since early 2000 when I bought my first house. I use it for Bill Pay and account register tracking only. The former versions made my household budgeting so much easier. Now setting up bills takes TWICE the amount of time with a ton of bugs. Every time I try to schedule a bill in advance and select a future date - it reverts to the existing date which if not careful will drain your bank account. The recurring bill feature with the so called pdf bill view is useless and doesn't work the majority of the time.

Forget about trying to transfers from bank account to another in this interface. Also forget trying to track schedule deposits. I don't know what the management of this product was thinking when they decided to redesign it. It is so much worse. I've decided to leave using the product and I'm still trying to find a replacement that will handle my bill pay the way Quicken use to do so.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Quicken was once my favorite money manager. It seems that with every update there are more and more quirks for the software. From updating your accounts to locking up the software has become very unstable. They are sure to take your money but the quality of the product is getting worse.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have been a Quicken user since 1986, (32 years now) and it was originally a pretty good, pretty well-supported product. I have used various versions from that very early one up to and including QW2014. I will not upgrade further and will not pay them continuously for a failing product. First, I'm a retired 'techie' with 42 years of IT experience from beginning programmer to Database Administrator maintaining hundreds of databases on about 50 virtual server instances. Over the years I have dealt with numerous financial institutions, and have all my financial records, including years of investment account transactions housed in this product. As I have aged, my investment savings records have become far more important than cash and credit accounts records.

Granted over the years I made a few mistakes with Quicken in the area of retaining data in my current file. This is because I have experienced performance problems as the file grew, to the point it would take ten seconds or more for the update of a row of data in the register of all accounts. With my decades of experience in handling data, I know this has to be a structural problem. So the logical thing was to leave behind accounts I no longer used. HOWEVER, I made the mistake of leaving behind some of my retirement savings and investment accounts. Now I would like to have my complete investment history in a single complete file. This involves nearly 100 thousand transactions housed in about 15 different accounts from over the years, including various employer's 401k plans.

Intuit has apparently made some very poor design decisions in their 'secret' file formats, resulting in the lack of ability to export/import investment transactions between files. They blame this on their claim that investment accounts 'do not have a real transaction register'. All of my 32 years of Quicken data files have faithfully been upgraded and will all work with QW2014, so are 'version compatible'. However, they will no longer support the movement of my investment transactions between their own files. I have never used downloads from financial institutions, so that is not an issue. Now think about the situation. Quicken can visually present my investment transactions in a 'register' format. I can enter my investment transactions in that register. If they can 'build' the register, and I can manually create the data, why can't they export/import the same data to a different file?

They must have done something really, really stupid to create this problem and they should get it fixed. After having spent months of researching this situation, I've found no good method of fixing my data other than printing transactions lists from old files and manually re-keying my historical data into my current file. I know there are supposed to be ways you can 'hack' the investment transaction exports by editing the files that will supposedly allow this, but I shouldn't have to hack the vendor's own data to move it. With my 42 years of IT experience, I'm sure I could do this, but less technically inclined folks are going to be lost.

What with their oldest, most reliable long-term users aging and their retirement savings becoming far more valuable that cash accounts, it would make sense to fix this shortcoming so they retain long time users and create new ones. If I were not at an advanced age, I would be looking for and inviting other software developers and data architects to get involved and we would create a competing program with proper design details that would fix these problems. And we would use an open documented file structure that would provide performance and import/export capability.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I’ve been a Quicken user since 1994. Over the years the app has changed here and there but for the most part, you knew where things were and things made sense. I upgraded from 2007 version to take advantage of the $29.99/year Cyber Monday promo to try it out. I'm forecasting that the 2007 version of Quicken will probably not work once we go to Mojave which will drop 32-bit support. To note, I've read that you can cancel the auto-renew subscription, which I did, and the Quicken 2019 app is "supposed" to continue working even after the expiration date. We'll see.

Quicken is not an app to radically change the user interface, thinking changes will make it better. It’s been made much worse in this 2019 rendition of Quicken. GONE is the empty field at the bottom of your various registers, waiting for you to fill in the next transaction. Nope, now you have to hit a "+" icon and fumble through a clunky entry interface. GONE is the blue/white striped lines you’re used to. GONE is the Title, Payment, Debit on the top line, with Category Memo, and Open Split on the lower line. GONE is the accounts window you are used to. It’s now in sidebar and feels odd. Want to have two account windows open at once, one atop the other, checking and a CC for example, nope, not anymore. You can only be working in one account at a time. Pretty much everything you're used to has been erased from this application, and replaced with something… else.

It's tiring, companies reinventing the wheel thinking "Ah yes, this will be better. People will like doing things this different way." We don't like it. It worked just fine the way it was. It made sense and its unchanging nature over the decades was a good thing. It was reliable. You could upgrade and use it straight away. It didn't need to be overhauled to the point where long time users will need to re-learn how to use it.

To the meeting rooms that thought up this overhaul tactic for the age old, tried and true, Quicken that we all knew and liked, you didn't jump the shark here. You completely blew it. 100% failure. You should've just polished up the existing one. Instead you lost all the good familiar elements and replaced it with a bunch of useless tat and an awful, unintuitive, cluttered and clumsy user interface. This is bookkeeping software, not rocket science. Keep is simple. Less is more. Look to the past for design inspiration.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Amazing... Just upgraded to the 2019 version. Tons of issues. After finally getting all 10 of my accounts set up, I wanted to link some accounts to my bill pay service. Should be simple right??? The morons at this company did not think that it was needed to allow importing of 2017 or prior BILL PAY accounts into the 2019 version. This company thinks we should go through the process of setting the whole damn thing up again. The same MORONS did not realize that some people have ten bank accounts and hundreds of PAYEES.

If anyone at this company wants to hire a REAL Software development Officer, and save this company from its ultimate demise, please reply with your email. In my 30+ years of software development, I have never seen such stupidity and poor planning. This is what happens when a finance company decides to be a software company. Do yourself a favor and listen to the 1000s of negative posts on this site... Have your crack team of developers create an import function to transfer <2017 to 2019!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have been a Quicken user for at least 20 years. It has served me well. However, I am very unhappy with 2018. I was suspicious about the move to a subscription, the online ID registration, and the automatic updating. I purchase the latest release every other year and this is the year for me to update so I decided to purchase 2018 because I did not see myself moving away from Quicken.

Well, after using it for 11 months, I regret purchasing 2018. Setting up the online ID was a major pain it the... To make matters worse, it is veeerrryyy slooowww to open. I am sure this is related to the online ID but I cannot get Quicken support to confirm it. They mostly blame my computer or internet connection. Sometimes when I close an account and go back to the Home Tab, the program does not refresh properly so I have restart it. Ironically, moving to 2018 has given me a reason to move away from Quicken. So as a 20 year customer, I will be researching using other programs like Personal Capital, etc.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I started using this platform when it was Andrew Tobia's Managing Your Money, that's probably a 20-year run. There were always updates that you could pay for, but there were very few times that an update was necessary to continue functioning. The latest update is also a transition from Intuit software to yet another owner. New user IDs needed to be set up, new security, and now Quicken is a subscription service. Despite promises of improvements, the new software is abysmal. Every second or third time I start the software there's an update or patch, and they have degraded rather than improved the software.

Last week I was on the phone for over 4 hours, until 7 PM on a Friday night, with tech support, trying to figure out why the balance in the register did not match the balances in the Account Bar for my primary credit card. After hours of file validation, super validation, restoring back up files, ad nauseum the tech decided that the data file must be corrupted.

More time was invested in setting up new accounts and copying old transactions into them to maintain the history, only to discover that all of the budget category assignments are lost on 3 months of newly downloaded transactions that were not copied (since they were available online). Then, when I went to use the program today the problem resurfaced in my primary checking account. I'M DONE! They were very quick to refund my annual subscription. But now I probably have no access to syncing accounts or paying bills. This appears to be a company that is doing everything possible to go out of business.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have used Quicken for many years and frankly not any major changes over the years to make it worthwhile owning. Most major finance software make major interface changes over the years, but Quicken has pretty much remained the same. It is still as buggy as ever and I can never get the bank updates to work consistently over the years. I primarily use it to balance my checkbooks, but now with the yearly subscription it is definitely not worth it. My personal opinion, "See you Quicken", don't need it anymore. I just downloaded Personal Capital and it is a great tool. It won't balance your checkbook, but what information!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I have used Quicken for many years and loved it. I never have used the link bills or auto payments, but I like to have good records of my bills, loans, bank accounts checking and savings. I have become very upset lately because when I look at my bills I see missing bills, also there are many duplicated bills. The balances are not correct. This is not helpful in tracking my finances but a lot of extra work constantly correcting quicken. When I bring Quicken up it takes forever to come up with the program, since I do not use any online features that does not make sense to me. Sad to say I once loved this program but will have to say goodbye to Quicken and just do everything by hand.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have used Quicken software and Quicken Bill Pay for 15+ years and upgraded to the annual premium Quicken with free Bill Pay. Beware, they don't transfer the old Quicken Bill pay account and you are forced to set up a new user ID and password and have to go through the verification process to get the account approved. Setting up bank accounts is not as easy as it was before when you entered the bank account information, routing number, waited two or three business days for micro deposits to the account, and the account was approved. That is not the case with the new version. You have to set up the account, then wait a couple weeks for them to send you a secure email which requires you to have to set up another password to view.

They require you to send in copies of voided check, driver's license, current utility bill, and your Social Security card or something to verify your Social Security number. The whole process is very confusing and time consuming. You would think they could use the old bill pay information and just transfer over my bank accounts. After almost a month, I think I am almost there with the conversion, but beware it will be time consuming so don't close the old bill pay account until the new one is up and running. You also have to go into the Quicken software and add Bill Payment with new user ID password to connect the software, so you don't get charged the monthly $9.95 fee. My conversion process to Quicken 2018, now 2019 software itself was simple and everything seems to be working.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Even though Intuit sold Quicken, I still like the software. They update it & address issues. It is a very good program that saves me a lot of time. If they didn't continue offering the software, I would be very disappointed. I don't know of any other options for software like this. Security is a top priority, & I feel they understand that.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Several days ago one of my Quicken accounts would not update via "one step update." Got error code 505 over several days. Eventually I called the Quicken telephone support line (per Quicken instructions). Call was answered quickly and when I explained the problem he immediately wanted online access to my system. It being Quicken I allowed it. He ran several utilities on my system and one after another he found a problem that he had a solution for - the first being my anti-virus software which he said was ineffective and suggested another which was not free. Secondly he found that this particular account's file was "corrupted" on my computer and as a solution I could buy an 8 (I think) or a 10 year subscription to Quicken for $199 or $299 that he would be happy to install.

I declined and he ended the call. I will not darken their telephone support line again and hope that I can find software that will not subject me to this kind of blatant hustle. If I could be done with Quicken I would be! The answer I found today. After right clicking on the file's name and bringing up the edit/delete window, going to the online tab and clicking on reset and then waiting a couple of minutes while Quicken contacts the system from where the data is downloaded, the problem was solved. All done in less than 2 minutes -not the 30 minutes I spent with this fellow while he was doing nothing but putting on a show while trying to sell me something. Note this is NOT Intuit. Intuit sold the software to these people and while Intuit was not perfect they did their customers no favor by selling Quicken to this new company.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I updated my Quicken 2018 and the program kept crashing after. The first time I got customer service, I was put through paces of trying things for over an hour. When I suggested that I'd like to talk with the supervisor, the woman told me there was no point in that--the supervisors had no more tools than she did. When I said I'd still like to speak to one, the line went dead. After 15 minutes and no call back, I called again. Nothing was made of my complaint, but another woman tried to help me. Same stuff, same procedures for another hour. I got the same response when I asked for a supervisor. She refused and said there was nothing she could do. So, my only option seems to be to cancel Quicken and look for something else. This was a terrible experience and I'll never use their product again.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Long time and loyal Quicken user but this product has gone SO downhill in the past two years that I will surely need to find an alternative. Crashes, lost data, even the totals in the account don't add up right anymore. From a financial company? They should be issueing refunds, forgetting new features, and just getting the 'core' working right.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I have been using Quicken for years, I go to update to 2018. They need all this paperwork sent to them for verification. I understand that but I am still trying to get my account verified after sending them all the documentation and been waiting for over 2 weeks. Their support sucks!!! You ask to speak with a supervisor and they tell you hold on then come back and says no one is available. I have had it. Going out to another vendor... Their service and support is TERRIBLE. Don't get the application and try and use Quicken Bill Pay!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Under this new company - this software SUCKS. They need to sell it back to INTUIT to fix this crap. Cannot manually import transactions without their server getting involved. Wow - what a piece of caca. CS is no better - they cannot help fix it.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Twice Quicken 2018 has lost data. The first time was when I simply ran a One Step Update. The second when I added an existing checking account. Each time deposits were completely lost, categories missing, Payee names changed, and split info was lost. Quicken support solution: Make sure I back up my data!!! A financial software that can’t retain data is useless.

Intuit - Quicken Company Information